Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of PLATELETS per unit volume in a sample of venous BLOOD.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- Aspartate aminotransferase-to-platelet ratio index for fibrosis and cirrhosis prediction in chronic hepatitis C patientsRoberto Gomes da Silva Jr
Federal University of Sergipe, Federal University of Sergipe, Sao Cristovao, SE, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 12:15-9. 2008..APRI could identify significant fibrosis and cirrhosis at a high degree of accuracy in studied patients...
- FIB-4: an inexpensive and accurate marker of fibrosis in HCV infection. comparison with liver biopsy and fibrotestAnais Vallet-Pichard
Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Hepatology 46:32-6. 2007..45 or >3.25 (kappa = 0.561, P < 0.01). A FIB-4 value <1.45 or >3.25 (64.6% of the cases) was concordant with FibroTest results in 92.1% and 76%, respectively...
- A meta-analysis and genome-wide association study of platelet count and mean platelet volume in african americansRehan Qayyum
GeneSTAR Research Program, Division of General Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 8:e1002491. 2012Several genetic variants associated with platelet count and mean platelet volume (MPV) were recently reported in people of European ancestry...
- DIPSS plus: a refined Dynamic International Prognostic Scoring System for primary myelofibrosis that incorporates prognostic information from karyotype, platelet count, and transfusion statusNaseema Gangat
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:392-7. 2011..The main objective of this study was to refine DIPSS by incorporating prognostic information from karyotype, platelet count, and transfusion status.
- Mean platelet volume as a predictor of cardiovascular risk: a systematic review and meta-analysisS G Chu
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Thromb Haemost 8:148-56. 2010..Platelet activity is a major culprit in atherothrombotic events. MPV, which is widely available in clinical practice, is a potentially useful biomarker of platelet activity in the setting of cardiovascular disease...
- Prognostic value of thrombocytopenia in African children with falciparum malariaPatrick Gerardin
Service de Pediatrie, Hopital Principal, Dakar, Senegal
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:686-91. 2002..The relationship between thrombocytopenia (platelet count < 100,000/mm3 on admission) and severity and outcome was investigated prospectively in children ..
- Hematologic and clinical indices of malaria in a semi-immune population of western ThailandLaura M Erhart
Department of Immunology and Medicine, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:8-14. 2004..This study supplements previous literature on the hematologic effects of malaria and helps define those alterations for a semi-immune population. Thrombocytopenia is identified as a key indicator of malaria in these febrile patients...
- Changes in white blood cells and platelets in children with falciparum malaria: relationship to disease outcomeShamez Ladhani
Centre for Geographical Medicine Research Coast, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kilifi, Kenya
Br J Haematol 119:839-47. 2002..A platelet count of less than 150 x 109/l was found in 56...
- Elastography, spleen size, and platelet count identify portal hypertension in patients with compensated cirrhosisAnnalisa Berzigotti
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 144:102-111.e1. 2013..We looked for markers of the presence of CSPH and EVs in patients with cirrhosis...
- Mean platelet volume is a risk factor for venous thromboembolism: the Tromsø Study, Tromsø, NorwayS K Braekkan
Center for Atherothrombotic Research in Tromsø CART, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
J Thromb Haemost 8:157-62. 2010..MPV is increased in acute myocardial infarction, and has been identified as an independent risk factor for future myocardial infarction and stroke...
- Platelets kill intraerythrocytic malarial parasites and mediate survival to infectionBrendan J McMorran
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Private Bag 23, Hobart, Tasmania 7000, Australia
Science 323:797-800. 2009..These results indicate a protective function for platelets in the early stages of erythrocytic infection distinct from their role in cerebral malaria...
- Comparison and validation of simple noninvasive tests for prediction of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CCarolin Lackner
Department of Pathology, Medical University Graz, Graz, Austria
Hepatology 41:1376-82. 2005..discriminant score (CDS), age-platelet (AP) index, Pohl score, AST-to-platelet ratio index (APRI), and platelet count per se...
- Automated blood cell counts: state of the artMauro Buttarello
Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital of Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 130:104-16. 2008....
- Effects of biological variations on platelet count in healthy subjects in ChinaLiming Peng
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Peking University Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, P R of China
Thromb Haemost 91:367-72. 2004..0001), but the mean platelet volume (MPV) determined concurrently was negatively correlated with platelet count, the MPV values were significantly higher in Chengdu (11.8-15.6 fl) and Suzhou (10.9-15...
- Platelet aggregation is dependent on platelet count in patients with coronary artery diseaseMorten Würtz
Department of Cardiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Denmark
Thromb Res 129:56-61. 2012..This study investigated the importance of platelet count, haematocrit, red blood cells (RBC), and white blood cells in whole blood platelet aggregometry.
- Thrombocytopenia resulting from mutations in filamin A can be expressed as an isolated syndromePaquita Nurden
Centre de Reference des Pathologies Plaquettaires, Plateforme Technologique d Innovation Biomédicale, Hopital Xavier Arnozan, Pessac, France
Blood 118:5928-37. 2011..Mutations in FLNA may represent an unrecognized cause of macrothrombocytopenia with an altered platelet production and a modified platelet-vessel wall interaction...
- Mean platelet volume measurement, EDTA or citrate?Mansour Siavash Dastjerdi
Isfahan Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center, Iran
Hematology 11:317-9. 2006..The results of our study reveal that MPV can be measured accurately by both methods of anticoagulation; EDTA and citrate if analysis be performed within 1 h of sampling...
- Platelet count, mean platelet volume and thrombocytopoietic indices in healthy women and menAnna M Butkiewicz
Department of Clinical Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University of Bialystok, Poland
Thromb Res 118:199-204. 2006Gender-dependent differences in platelet count have been demonstrated in few studies...
- Platelet count and prothrombin time help distinguish thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome from disseminated intravascular coagulation in adultsYara A Park
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 133:460-5. 2010..Although the platelet count, prothrombin time (PT), and partial thromboplastin time were different (P < ...
- Age- and sex-related variations in platelet count in Italy: a proposal of reference ranges based on 40987 subjects' dataGinevra Biino
Institute of Molecular Genetics, National Research Council of Italy, Pavia, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e54289. 2013Although several studies demonstrated that platelet count is higher in women, decreases with age, and is influenced by genetic background, most clinical laboratories still use the reference interval 150-400×10(9) platelets/L for all ..
- Comparison of FIB-4 and APRI in Chinese HBV-infected patients with persistently normal ALT and mildly elevated ALTH Wang
Department of Infectious Diseases, Zhejiang People s Provincial Hospital, Zhejiang, China
J Viral Hepat 20:e3-10. 2013..93. Both FIB-4 and APRI are useful for identification of those without significant fibrosis. However, because they have poor PPV, LB will continue to be used for assessment of HBV-infected patients with normal ALT and mildly elevated ALT...
- Coagulation markers in healthy human subjects exposed to diesel exhaustChris Carlsten
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, 4225 Roosevelt Ave NE, University of Washington, Campus Box 354695, Seattle, WA 98195, United States
Thromb Res 120:849-55. 2007..Diesel exhaust is a major contributor to urban PM, and we conducted a controlled human exposure of diesel exhaust in healthy subjects...
- Genetic variants that affect platelet functionThomas J Kunicki
Hematology Research, CHOC Children s Hospital, University of California, Irvine, Orange, USA
Curr Opin Hematol 19:371-9. 2012....
- Platelet rich plasma in xeno-free stem cell culture: the impact of platelet count and processing methodJeanne Adiwinata Pawitan
Department of Histology, Universitas Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 7:329-35. 2012..However, the various studies used various protocols in preparing and processing the PRP. This study aimed to compare and conclude the most effective and efficient protocol...
- Eculizumab as rescue therapy for atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome with normal platelet countEiske M Dorresteijn
Pediatric Nephrology, Erasmus MC Sophia Childrens Hospital, Dr Molewaterplein 60, 3015 GJ, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 27:1193-5. 2012..Eculizumab, a humanized monoclonal antibody that binds to complement protein C5, may be beneficial in the treatment of aHUS...
- Hemodialysis effect on platelet count and function and hemodialysis-associated thrombocytopeniaJohn T Daugirdas
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Kidney Int 82:147-57. 2012..Typically, the platelet count decreases slightly during the first hour of dialysis, but mostly returns to initial values by the end of ..
- Effects of long and short carboxylated or aminated multiwalled carbon nanotubes on blood coagulationJie Meng
Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 7:e38995. 2012..The effects of MWCNTs depended on the size and chemistry of the nanotubes and the type of cells they contacted...
- Management of an acute outbreak of diarrhoea-associated haemolytic uraemic syndrome with early plasma exchange in adults from southern Denmark: an observational studyEdin Colic
Department of Nephrology, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Lancet 378:1089-93. 2011..We aimed to assess the success of management of this disorder with plasma exchange therapy...
- Eltrombopag for management of chronic immune thrombocytopenia (RAISE): a 6-month, randomised, phase 3 studyGregory Cheng
Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Lancet 377:393-402. 2011..We aimed to compare the response to once daily eltrombopag versus placebo in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia during a 6-month period...
- A novel liver stiffness measurement-based prediction model for cirrhosis in hepatitis B patientsBeom Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Int 30:1073-81. 2010..We developed a new LSM-based prediction model for cirrhosis and estimated the thresholds for different ALT levels...
- Mean platelet volume in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: the effect of anti-TNF-α therapyArmen Yuri Gasparyan
Department of Rheumatology, Clinical Research Unit, Russell s Hall Hospital, Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 2HQ, UK
Rheumatol Int 30:1125-9. 2010..More prospective studies with large numbers of patients are warranted to ascertain associations of high and low values of MPV with diverse markers of inflammation and vascular pathology...
- Platelet-rich plasma and platelet gel preparation using PlateltexL Mazzucco
Blood Transfusion Centre and Biotechnology Laboratory, Ospedale SS Antonio e Biagio, Alessandria, Italy
Vox Sang 94:202-8. 2008..Here we report the technical performance of this system in comparison with the performance of other commercially available systems: PRGF, PRP-Landesber, Curasan, PCCS, Harvest, Vivostat, Regen and Fibrinet...
- Platelet inhibition by aspirin 81 and 325 mg/day in men versus women without clinically apparent cardiovascular diseaseRehan Qayyum
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:1359-63. 2008..In conclusion, women continue to have greater residual platelet activity after high-dose aspirin compared with men treated with a lower dose of aspirin...
- Dose of prophylactic platelet transfusions and prevention of hemorrhageSherrill J Slichter
Puget Sound Blood Center, Seattle, WA 98104 1256, USA
N Engl J Med 362:600-13. 2010..We conducted a trial of prophylactic platelet transfusions to evaluate the effect of platelet dose on bleeding in patients with hypoproliferative thrombocytopenia...
- Simple surrogate index of the fibrosis stage in chronic hepatitis C patients using platelet count and serum albumin levelTakeyuki Ohta
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 60:77-84. 2006..7% and 75.0% in the initial cohort and 70.8% and 81.0% in the validation cohort. The fibrosis index comprised of platelet count and albumin level reflected the histological fibrosis stage in patients with chronic hepatitis C.
- Use of AST platelet ratio index (APRI Score) as an alternative to liver biopsy for treatment indication in chronic hepatitis CMônica Salum Valverde Borsoi Viana
Hospital do Servidor Público Estadual Francisco Morato de Oliveira, Campo Belo CEP 04618 020 Sâo Paulo SP Brasil
Ann Hepatol 8:26-31. 2009....
- Genetic association analysis highlights new loci that modulate hematological trait variation in Caucasians and African AmericansKen Sin Lo
Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, QC, H1T 1C8, Canada
Hum Genet 129:307-17. 2011..with lower red blood cell count, hemoglobin, and hematocrit, and higher mean corpuscular volume), and between platelet count and a SNP at the tropomyosin-4 (TPM4) locus (rs8109288, P=3.0×10(-7) in Caucasians; P=3...
- Validation of a multivariate model predicting presence and size of varicesJames R Burton
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences University, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:609-15. 2007..A model developed by our group identified low platelets and advanced Child-Pugh class (CPC) as being associated with large varices...
- Platelet count/spleen diameter ratio for the noninvasive diagnosis of esophageal varices: results of a multicenter, prospective, validation studyEdoardo G Giannini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2511-9. 2006..In this multicenter, international study, our aim was to prospectively validate the use of the platelet count/spleen diameter ratio for the noninvasive diagnosis of EV.
- External validation of the platelet count/spleen diameter ratio for the diagnosis of esophageal varices in hepatitis C virus-related cirrhosisAdnan Agha
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical Unit I, Jinnah Hospital, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
Dig Dis Sci 54:654-60. 2009..Screening for esophageal varices (EV) is an important part of the diagnostic workup of cirrhotic patients...
- Comparison of noninvasive markers of fibrosis in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver diseaseAmy G Shah
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:1104-12. 2009..We compared the performance of the FIB4 index (based on age, aspartate aminotransferase [AST] and alanine aminotransferase [ALT] levels, and platelet counts) with 6 other non-invasive markers of fibrosis in patients with NAFLD...
- Bcl-2 family proteins are essential for platelet survivalH Zhang
Department of Cancer Research, Global Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Abbott Laboratories, Abbott Park, IL 60064 6101, USA
Cell Death Differ 14:943-51. 2007..Taken together, these data suggest that ABT-737 induces an apoptosis-like response in platelets that is distinct from platelet activation and results in enhanced clearance in vivo by the reticuloendothelial system...
- Platelet count decline: an early prognostic marker in critically ill patients with prolonged ICU staysDelphine Moreau
Medical ICU, Saint Louis Teaching Hospital, 1 Ave Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Chest 131:1735-41. 2007..Thrombocytopenia is common in ICU patients. The objective of this study was to evaluate possible links between declining platelet counts early in the ICU stay and survival...
- Identification of chronic hepatitis C patients without hepatic fibrosis by a simple predictive modelXavier Forns
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer IDIBAPS, University of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Hepatology 36:986-92. 2002..Multivariate analysis identified age, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT), cholesterol, platelet count, and prothrombin time as independent predictors of fibrosis...
- A novel variant on chromosome 7q22.3 associated with mean platelet volume, counts, and functionNicole Soranzo
Human Genetics Department, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Blood 113:3831-7. 2009Mean platelet volume (MPV) and platelet count (PLT) are highly heritable and tightly regulated traits...
- Platelet count is not a predictor of the presence or development of gastroesophageal varices in cirrhosisAmir A Qamar
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02446, USA
Hepatology 47:153-9. 2008..There is no agreement regarding a specific platelet count (PLT) that can reliably predict GEV...
- Non-invasive predictors of the presence of large oesophageal varices in patients with cirrhosisK C Thomopoulos
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology University Hospital of Patras, Patras, Greece
Dig Liver Dis 35:473-8. 2003..The aim of the present study was to determine whether clinical or laboratory non-endoscopic parameters could predict the presence of large oesophageal varices...
- Preeclampsia: are platelet count and indices useful for its prognostic?Leticia Gonçalves Freitas
Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Hematology 18:360-4. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate whether platelet count (PC) and platelet indices (mean platelet volume (MPV), platelet distribution width (PDW), and plateletcrit (..
- Platelet count: association with prognosis in lung cancerFrancisco Javier Gonzalez Barcala
Servicio de Neumoloxía Complexo Hospitalario Clinico Universitario de Pontevedra, C Choupana sn, 15706 A Coruna, Teo, Spain
Med Oncol 27:357-62. 2010..Survival adjusted for other factors was assessed according to the platelet count at the time of diagnosis...
- Thrombocytopenia and outcome in critically ill patients with bloodstream infectionDominique M Vandijck
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Heart Lung 39:21-6. 2010..An acute decrease in total platelet count is frequently observed in severe sepsis, followed by a relative increase indicating organ-failure recovery...
- Simple scoring system for early management of heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaHarry L Messmore
Hines Veterans Administration Hospital, Hines, IL, USA
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 17:197-201. 2011..Critically ill VA hospital patients (n = 100) with a ≥30% fall in platelet count were assessed by platelet aggregation (PA), (14)C-serotonin release assay ((14)C-SRA), and GTI ELISA...
- Platelet counts differ by sex, ethnicity, and age in the United StatesJodi B Segal
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Ann Epidemiol 16:123-30. 2006..The aim of the study is to show that differences in platelet counts by ethnicity, sex, and age are not explained by environmental factors...
- Platelets contribute to the reduction of liver fibrosis in miceMotonobu Watanabe
Department of Surgery, Advanced Biomedical Applications, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:78-89. 2009..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of platelets on liver fibrosis in mouse models...
- Platelet count kinetics following interruption of antiretroviral treatmentEva Zetterberg
Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet and University of Copenhagen, Denmark
AIDS 27:59-68. 2013..Follow-up analyses of stored plasma samples demonstrated increased activation of both inflammatory and coagulation pathways after stopping ART...
- Thrombocytopenia in Plasmodium falciparum, Plasmodium vivax and mixed infection malaria: a study from Bikaner (Northwestern India)Dhanpat Kumar Kochar
Department of Medicine, Kothari Medical and Research Institute, Bikaner, India
Platelets 21:623-7. 2010..This study included 1,064 patients admitted with malaria to study thrombocytopenia (platelet count <150,000 /cumm) in Plasmodium falciparum (Pf) and Plasmodium vivax (Pv) mono infection and mixed infection (..
- Serum bilirubin and platelet count: a simple predictive model for survival in patients with refractory ascites treated by TIPSChristophe Bureau
Service d Hepato gastro enterologie, Fédération Digestive, CHU Toulouse Purpan, 31059 Toulouse Cedex, France
J Hepatol 54:901-7. 2011..A more accurate selection of the patients might improve these results. The aim of the present study was to identify parameters of prognostic value for survival in patients with refractory ascites treated with TIPS...
- AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis BFatih Güzelbulut
Haydarpafla Numune Education and Research Hospital, Department of Gastroenterology, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 23:353-8. 2012..We aimed to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of AST-platelet ratio index in the prediction of significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis B patients by comparison with liver biopsy...
- Thrombocytopenia in the intensive care unit patientAndreas Greinacher
Institut für Immunologie und Transfusionsmedizin, Universitatsklinikum, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2010:135-43. 2010..potential causes of thrombocytopenia that require specific interventions is to consider the dynamics of platelet count changes...
- Platelet count and mean platelet volume in patients with in-hospital deep venous thrombosisHabib Cil
Department of Cardiology, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 18:650-3. 2012..To investigate the relationship between mean platelet volume (MPV) and in-hospital deep venous thrombosis (DVT)...
- Is there an association between platelet count during the first trimester and preeclampsia or other obstetric complications later in pregnancy?Tamar Tzur
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Hypertens Pregnancy 32:74-82. 2013..To examine whether an association exists between platelet (PLT) count in the first trimester of pregnancy and the risk for hypertensive disorders or other obstetric complications...
- Thrombocytopenia in vivax and falciparum malaria: an observational study of 131 patients in Karnataka, IndiaK Saravu
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Karnataka, India
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 105:593-8. 2011..Some but not all studies suggest the possible role of platelets in the pathology of severe malaria. We assess the association of admission platelet count with malaria complications and mortality in vivax and falciparum malaria.
- Comparison of the effects of oral hydration and intravenous fluid replacement in adult patients with non-shock dengue hemorrhagic fever in TaiwanIng Kit Lee
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, 123, Ta Pei Road, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien 833, Taiwan
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104:541-5. 2010..No difference was found in daily mean pulse pressure, mean hematocrit level, and mean platelet count between the groups for the duration of the 7 days in hospital. All 49 patients survived...
- Preoperative platelet count associates with survival and distant metastasis in surgically resected colorectal cancer patientsShaogui Wan
Division of Population Science, Department of Medical Oncology, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Gastrointest Cancer 44:293-304. 2013Platelets have been implicated in cancer metastasis and prognosis. No population-based study has been reported as to whether preoperative platelet count directly predicts metastatic recurrence of colorectal cancer (CRC) patients.
- Preoperative platelet lymphocyte ratio as an independent prognostic marker in ovarian cancerViren Asher
School of Graduate Medicine and Health, Royal Derby Hospital, United Kingdom
Clin Transl Oncol 13:499-503. 2011..The aim of our study was to evaluate the prognostic significance of the preoperative haematological markers platelet lymphocyte ratio (PLR) and neutrophil lymphocyte ratio (NLR) in patients with ovarian cancer...
- The relationship of platelet count, mean platelet volume with metabolic syndrome according to the criteria of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists: a focus on gender differencesByoung Jin Park
Department of Family Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Platelets 23:45-50. 2012..Recently, platelet count has been linked to insulin resistance and MS in addition to being a marker of hemostasis...
- Piperacillin-induced thrombocytopenia reversed by high-flux hemodialysis in an uremic patientShang Yi Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Municipal Ta Tung Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Hemodial Int 16:S50-3. 2012..Immediate withdrawal of the causative drug is important for drug-induced thrombocytopenia. Prompt high-flux hemodialysis may be an adjunctive management for uremic patients...
- A normal platelet count may not be enough: the impact of admission platelet count on mortality and transfusion in severely injured trauma patientsLisa M Brown
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Trauma 71:S337-42. 2011Platelets play a central role in hemostasis after trauma. However, the platelet count of most trauma patients does not fall below the normal range (100-450 × 10(9)/L), and as a result, admission platelet count has not been adequately ..
- High platelet count as a link between renal cachexia and cardiovascular mortality in end-stage renal disease patientsMiklos Z Molnar
Harold Simmons Center for Chronic Disease Research and Epidemiology, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Torrance, CA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 94:945-54. 2011..Platelet reactivity predisposes to thromboembolic events in the setting of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, which is often present in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- A screening and intervention program aimed to reduce mortality and serious morbidity associated with severe neonatal alloimmune thrombocytopeniaJens Kjeldsen-Kragh
Department of Immunity, Ulleval University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Blood 110:833-9. 2007..platelets from HPA 1a-negative donors reserved for immediate transfusion if petechiae were present and/or if platelet count was less than 35 x 10(9)/L. Of the women screened, 2...
- Determinants of the thrombogenic potential of multiwalled carbon nanotubesAndrew R Burke
Department of Cancer Biology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Biomaterials 32:5970-8. 2011..Amidated MWCNTs elicited no statistically significant change in platelet count. Further, neither carboxylated nor amidated MWCNTs increased vWF or D-dimers in mouse plasma...
- Analysis of 12,517 inhabitants of a Sardinian geographic isolate reveals that predispositions to thrombocytopenia and thrombocytosis are inherited traitsGinevra Biino
Institute of Molecular Genetics, CNR, Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 96:96-101. 2011..We examined the prevalence of thrombocytopenia and determinants of platelet count in a healthy population with a wide age range.
- Study on the relationship between mean platelet volume and platelet distribution width with coronary artery lesion in children with Kawasaki diseaseRuixi Liu
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Children s Hospital of Chongqing Medical University, Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Child Development and Disorders, Key Laboratory of Pediatrics in Chongqing, CSTC2009CA5002 Chongqing International Science and Technology Cooperation Center for Child Development and Disorders, Chongqing 400014, PR China
Platelets 23:11-6. 2012..For all subjects following tests were performed: MPV, PDW, platelet count, white blood cells counts (WBC), C reactive protein (CRP) and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)...
- [Factors associated with liver stiffness in chronic liver disease]Da Mi Lee
Department of Gastroenterology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea
Korean J Hepatol 15:464-73. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the factors influencing liver stiffness in patients with chronic liver disease...
- Prediction severity of esophageal varices: a new cutoff point for Platelet count/ spleen diameter ratioR Barikbin
Department of Radiology, Isfahan University of Medical Science, Iran
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 56:1-6. 2010..The aim of this paper was assess value of platelet count/spleen diameter ratio (PC/SD ratio) for the prediction or screening of EV in cirrhotic patients.
- Platelet count monitoring and laboratory testing for heparin-induced thrombocytopeniaTheodore E Warkentin
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine and the Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:1415-23. 2002..The objective of this article is to provide practical recommendations for platelet count monitoring in patients receiving heparin, as well as for selection of laboratory assays to detect pathogenic ..
- Elevated platelet count before ileal pouch-anal anastomosis for ulcerative colitis is associated with the development of chronic pouchitisAderet Okon
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am Surg 71:821-6. 2005..counts than ulcerative colotis (UC) patients, we prospectively evaluated the association between preoperative platelet count and pouchitis development in 159 patients undergoing IPAA...
- Portal hypertensive gastropathy in chronic hepatitis C patients with bridging fibrosis and compensated cirrhosis: results from the HALT-C trialRobert J Fontana
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:983-92. 2006....
- Platelet count is a sensitive predictor of autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell collection yield in previously treated plasma cell disease patientsAbba C Zubair
Transfusion Medicine, Department of Pathology and Division of Hematology Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Transfusion 48:1106-14. 2008..It is also challenging to predict if the collected cells will be enough for one or two transplants...
- Platelet count and function at high altitude and in high-altitude pulmonary edemaT Lehmann
Dept of Internal Medicine, Kantonsspital, CH 7000 Chur, Switzerland
J Appl Physiol 100:690-4. 2006..b>Platelet count, platelet aggregation (platelet function analyzer PFA100; using epinephrine and ADP as activators), plasma ..
- Continuing developments with the automated platelet countC Briggs
Department of Haematology, University College London Hospitals, London, UK
Int J Lab Hematol 29:77-91. 2007..have been introduced for automated platelet counting, but there are still occasional cases where an accurate platelet count remains a challenge...
- Growth factor levels in platelet-rich plasma and correlations with donor age, sex, and platelet countGernot Weibrich
Department for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 30:97-102. 2002..Platelet-rich plasma contains autologous thrombocyte growth factors and might be promising for acceleration of dentoalveolar bone regeneration. In this study, it was analysed for platelet counts and growth factor concentrations...
- Laparoscopic splenectomy with peginterferon and ribavirin therapy for patients with hepatitis C virus cirrhosis and hypersplenismTomohiko Akahoshi
Department of Surgery, Fukuoka City Hospital, 13 1 of Yoshizukahonmachi, Hakata Ku, Fukuoka 812 0046, Japan
Surg Endosc 24:680-5. 2010....
- A follow-up study to determine the value of liver biopsy and need for antiviral therapy for hepatitis C virus carriers with persistently normal serum aminotransferaseTakeshi Okanoue
Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
J Hepatol 43:599-605. 2005..Long-term follow-up study was performed to identify the candidates for antiviral therapy for hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection among carriers with persistently normal aminotransferase (ALT< or = 30 U/L) levels (PNAL)...
- Mean platelet volume trend in sepsis: is it a useful parameter?C Becchi
Department of Medical and Surgical Critical Care, Section of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 72:749-56. 2006..Mean platelet volume (MPV) measurement has been available since 1970s, but neither its relationship with platelet count nor the clinical meaning of this relation has been understood in sepsis yet...
- Analysis of leukopenia and anemia after gastric bypass surgeryRamsey M Dallal
Department of Surgery, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 8:164-8. 2012..Although anemia is a well-described complication after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) in association with iron deficiency, no studies have been published regarding changes in the white blood cell count...
- [Three cases of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura showing an increase in the platelet count following clarithromycin treatment]Masashi Ohe
Department of Internal Medicine, Hokkaido Social Insurance Hospital
Rinsho Ketsueki 44:1044-6. 2003..Case 1: A 69-year-old male ITP patient was treated with CAM at a dose of 400 mg/day. His platelet count increased from 5.6 x 10(4)/microliter to 10.1 x 10(4)/microliter...
- Non-invasive models for predicting histology in patients with chronic hepatitis BChun Tao Wai
Department of Medicine, National University Hospital, Singapore
Liver Int 26:666-72. 2006..We aimed to evaluate non-invasive markers for diagnosing significant fibrosis/cirrhosis in patients with CHB, and to evaluate accuracy of models from CHC in CHB patients...
- Increase in platelet count in older, poor-risk patients with acute myeloid leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome treated with valproic acid and all-trans retinoic acidChiara Pilatrino
Department of Clinical and Biological Science, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Cancer 104:101-9. 2005....
- High platelet count associated with venous thromboembolism in cancer patients: results from the Vienna Cancer and Thrombosis Study (CATS)R Simanek
Clinical Division of Haematology and Haemostaseology, Department of Medicine I, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Thromb Haemost 8:114-20. 2010In cancer patients, laboratory parameters that predict venous thromboembolism (VTE) are scarce. Increased platelet count has been found to be a risk factor for VTE in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy (CHT)...
- Platelet count to spleen diameter ratio for the diagnosis of esophageal varices: Is it feasible?Waqas Wahid Baig
Department of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, India
Can J Gastroenterol 22:825-8. 2008To study the value of platelet count to spleen diameter ratio as a noninvasive parameter for diagnosing esophageal varices (EVs) in liver cirrhosis.
- High platelet volume and increased risk of myocardial infarction: 39,531 participants from the general populationJ Klovaite
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and the Copenhagen General Population Study, Herlev Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
J Thromb Haemost 9:49-56. 2011Active platelets are large and contribute to development of myocardial infarction (MI). Platelet size is measured automatically as mean platelet volume (MPV) together with platelet count.
- The prediction of progression-free and overall survival in women with an advanced stage of epithelial ovarian carcinomaC G Gerestein
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Daniel den Hoed Erasmus MC University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
BJOG 116:372-80. 2009..The objective of this study was to determine predictors of PFS and OS in women with advanced stage epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) after primary cytoreductive surgery and first-line platinum-based chemotherapy...
- Tumor anemia and thrombocytosis in patients with vulvar cancerL Hefler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Tumour Biol 21:309-14. 2000..in patients with vulvar cancer, and to evaluate the prognostic value or pretreatment hemoglobin (Hb) and platelet count regarding disease-free and overall survival of patients with vulvar cancer...
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: current concepts in pathophysiology and managementRoberto Stasi
Department of Medical Sciences, Ospedale, Regina Apostolorum Hospital, Albano Laziale, Italy
Thromb Haemost 99:4-13. 2008Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is characterized by a low platelet count, which is the result of both increased platelet destruction and insufficient platelet production...
- Noninvasive serum markers in the diagnosis of structural liver damage in chronic hepatitis C virus infectionEdison R Parise
Department of Gastroenterology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Liver Int 26:1095-9. 2006....
- Identification of chronic hepatitis B patients without significant liver fibrosis by a simple noninvasive predictive modelAlex Yui Hui
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics and Department of Anatomical and Cellular Pathology, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N T, Hong Kong
Am J Gastroenterol 100:616-23. 2005..The aim of this study was to develop a noninvasive model to assess liver fibrosis in CHB patients using clinical and routine laboratory data...
- Interleukin 10-induced thrombocytopenia in normal healthy adult volunteers: evidence for decreased platelet productionJ A Sosman
Section of Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 60612, USA
Br J Haematol 111:104-11. 2000..A significant reduction in splenic sequestration of platelets (P =0.012) was observed in the IL-10-treated group, but not in the placebo-treated subjects...
- Hydroxyurea compared with anagrelide in high-risk essential thrombocythemiaClaire N Harrison
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, and Addenbrooke s National Health Service Trust, Cambridge, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 353:33-45. 2005..We conducted a randomized comparison of hydroxyurea with anagrelide in the treatment of essential thrombocythemia...
- Cirrhosis in hepatitis C virus-infected patients can be excluded using an index of standard biochemical serum markersSara Islam
Department of Infectious Diseases, Goteborg University, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:867-72. 2005..Being an invasive procedure, the liver biopsy is associated with complications, and a non-invasive alternative would be preferable...
- A mutation of human cytochrome c enhances the intrinsic apoptotic pathway but causes only thrombocytopeniaIan M Morison
Department of Biochemistry, University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Nat Genet 40:387-9. 2008..Notably, the family has no other phenotypic indication of abnormal apoptosis, implying that cytochrome c activity is not a critical regulator of most physiological apoptosis...
- Platelet senescence is regulated by an internal timer, not damage inflicted by hitsMark R Dowling
Immunology Division, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Australia
Blood 116:1776-8. 2010..Thus, at steady state, platelet senescence is probably the product of internal processes rather than external hits...
- Liver cancer risk and prevention among persons living with HIV/AIDSLESLEY SUEJEAN PARK; Fiscal Year: 2013..liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, is calculated from routine labs (alanine transaminase, aspartate transaminase, platelet count) and age...
- Impaired integrin-dependent function of WASP-deficient plateletsEILEEN REMOLD-O'DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..unknown defect, platelets of the patients are removed from the blood at an abnormally rapid rate, causing low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) and causing the patients to suffer from bleeding...
- Modeling TAR Microdeletion Syndrome in MouseChrista Lese Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..aims: 1) delete the syntenic region on mouse chromosome 3, 2A) assay deletion-carrying mice for blood platelet count, loss of radius bones, and heart and renal defects observed in some TAR patients, and 2B) cross the deletion ..
- Carbohydrate-mediated platelet clearanceKARIN MARIA HOFFMEISTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): The human body produces and removes 1011 platelets daily to maintain a normal steady-state platelet count, and the level of production can be greatly increased under conditions of platelet destruction...
- Determining Optimum Medical Therapy for ITPJAMES BRUCE BUSSEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the great majority either do not improve or do no have a lasting response. The platelet count falls as the steroids are tapered or stopped and as a result, most patients require further therapy to ..
- Kidney Injury and Dysfunction Support (KIDS)Matthew Paden; Fiscal Year: 2010..accuracy, inflammatory markers, complement activation, markers of hemolysis, white blood cell activation, and platelet count. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This project addresses the management of acute kidney injury, a life-threatening ..
- Mechanism of Thrombosis in Heparin Induced ThrombocytopeniaRAJ SUNDAR KASTHURI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Paradoxically, despite a decrease in platelet count, the most feared complication of HIT is the development of arterial and venous thrombosis, the ..
- Immunoregulatory responses in patients with ITPKarina Yazdanbakhsh; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, it is unclear if the drugs are fixing the defective immune cells, or just increasing the low platelet count. Our studies will focus on patients'recovery after they stop taking these new drugs...
- Development of a novel small molecule, UTL-5g, to treat oxaliplatin-induced thromJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2013..manner, UTL-5g increases number of platelets lowered by oxaliplatin in vivo (a) To determine the nadir of platelet count after oxaliplatin treatment at the MTD (i.e...
- Controlling Hematopoietic Lineage Commitment from ESC to PlateletsBEVERLY JO TOROK-STORB; Fiscal Year: 2013..thrombocytopenia to test gene products identified in Aim 2, and cell products expanded in Aim 3 to improve the platelet count in vivo...
- SURGICAL STUDIES OF SEVERE RESPIRATORY FAILUREJoseph Zwischenberger; Fiscal Year: 2004..relative to SMV on oxygenation, pulmonary mechanics, ventilator settings, acute blood/surface mteractions (platelet count, complement C3a, Csa, TNFa, IL-1b, IL , IL-10), and long-term morbidity including safety (overall mortality, ..
- Longitudinal Studies of Primary Biliary CirrhosisMARLYN MAYO; Fiscal Year: 2006..Serum markers of fibrosis, age, bilirubin, albumin, prothrombin time, alkaline phosphatase, transaminases, and platelet count will be entered into a logistic model to derive a PBC-specific algorithm...
- RISK SCORE FOR CORONARY ANEURYSMS IN KAWASAKI SYNDROMEJane Newburger; Fiscal Year: 1992..count, differential- white-cell count, absolute band count, absolute lymphocyte count, hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelet count, alpha-1-antitrypsin, albumin, and C-reactive protein...
- Megakaryocyte Chemokines & Post-Irradiation ThrombocytopeniaMortimer Poncz; Fiscal Year: 2009..factor 4 (PF4), acts via a negative paracrine loop to inhibit new megakaryocyte formation and to decrease platelet count. PF4 is normally released by megakaryocytes in amounts sufficient to affect platelet counts in both mice and ..
- HIV Associated ThrombocytopeniaZongdong Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..This antibody induces thrombocytopenia in mice and correlates inversely with platelet count in HIV-1 ITP patients...
- MODELS OF THROMBOCYTOPENIA PATHOLOGY & TREATMENTSteven McKenzie; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will determine the dose response and schedule needed to achieve the maximal increase in platelet count. Our mouse model of thrombocytopenia recapitulates the features of human disease and will lead to improved ..
- Genomic dissection of platelet productionWarren Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2009Thrombocytopenia, or low platelet count, is a life threatening condition associated with cytotoxic cancer treatments and other disorders. Platelet transfusion is the only current effective treatment for severe thrombocytopenia...
- MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF THROMBOPOIETINDavid Kuter; Fiscal Year: 1999..proposed herein will show that thrombopoietin MRNA and protein synthesis are not altered by changes in the platelet count and therefore that thrombopoietin production is not directly regulated by the circulating platelet production ..
- LEUKOREDUCTION OF PLATELETS BY PULSED ELECTRIC FIELDSAbie Craiu; Fiscal Year: 2002..leukoreduction (>5-logs) can easily be achieved using higher electric field strengths, without affecting platelet count and viability...
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO IMPROVE AND EXTEND PLATELET STORAGESherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Phase 3 stem cell transplant for light chain amyloidosisMorie A Gertz; Fiscal Year: 2011..In addition, the analysis of clonal precursor B cells in the periphery and kinetics of amyloid formation of the monoclonal light chain will allow us to define and determine the mechanisms of disease progression and response to therapy. ..
- Antiviral Therapy in African Americans with HCVNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specimens of liver tissue and serum will be collected for basic studies on viral resistance. These studies should help determine the best therapy for AA with HCV. ..
- Proteomics and Biomarkers for Hepatocellular CancerNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies may lead to identification of more specific and sensitive biomarkers for HCC in HCV which can then be validated further in prospective clinical trials. ..
- PROTEIN LIPID INTERACTIONS IN GALLSTONE PATHOGENESISNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies may lead to strategies for the prevention and non-surgical therapy of this very common disease. ..
- 2006 Clinical Research Training InstituteJames George; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- AUTOIMMUNE THROMBOCYTOPENIARobert McMillan; Fiscal Year: 2002..Results of these studies will be correlated with the patients' clinical course and thrombopoietin levels. In addition, the effect of immune thrombocytopenia on the patients' quality of life will be studied. ..
- Clinical Research Training InstituteJames George; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is through this near one to one ratio with the trainees that ASH intends to foster and sustain interest in clinical hematologic research and thereby help stimulate the career development of future clinical researchers in hematology. ..
- NOVEL SEROTHERAPY STRATEGIES--PLASMA CELL MALIGNANCIESSTEVEN TREON; Fiscal Year: 2004..Analogous to our work with Muc-1, we will also attempt to identify other PCD selective targets by generating and examining mAbs specific to the plasma cell glycoform of CD138. ..
- Circle of Willis variability and migraineBRETT LEE CUCCHIARA; Fiscal Year: 2010..If this hypothesis is confirmed, this could lead to new treatments based on a better understanding of migraine mechanisms and might help identify patients with migraine who are at risk of stroke. ..
- First Int'l Symposium on Childhood and Adolescent NHLMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Nuclear translocation of urokinase/nucleolin complexesDouglas Cines; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nonablative AlloSCT in Refractory Autoimmune DiseaseMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RECURRENT HEPATITIS B AFTER LIVER TRANSPLANTATIONAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Platelet Transfusions in the Neonatal Intensive Care UnitMartha Sola Visner; Fiscal Year: 2008Thrombocytopenia (platelet count <150,000/mcL) is a common problem among sick newborn infants, affecting 20-35% of all patients admitted to Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs)...
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN TRANSFUSION MEDICINEJeffrey McCullough; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Defibrotide for the treatment of severe hepatic veno-cc*Paul Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Apoptosis in myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasiaRuben Mesa; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterAnna Lok; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DEFENSIN AND THE PATHOGENESIS OF ATHEROSCLEROSISDouglas Cines; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, the interaction between endogenous defensin and endogenous Lp(a) will be examined in a novel transgenic mouse than overexpresses both human defensin and human Lp(a). ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION ANALYSIS OF THE UROKINASE RECEPTORDouglas Cines; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- VALPROATE RESPONSE IN AGGRESSIVE AUTISTIC ADOLESCENTSJessica Hellings; Fiscal Year: 2002..a history of valproate sensitivity or previous liver disease, a history of ovarian cysts in girls, a low platelet count or raised liver transaminases. No other psychoactive maintenance medication will be allowed...
- PHENOTYPIC AND PSYCHOSOCIAL STUDY OF THE L1307K MUTATIONHenry Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- POSSIBLE OF ROLE OF AVIAN RETROVIRUSES IN HUMAN CANCEREric Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The confirmed demonstration of ALSV pro-viral DNA in the genome of exposed tumor samples but not in that of control tumor samples, will provide definitive evidence incriminating ALSV in human carcinogenesis. ..
- Etiologic and therapeutic studies of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)Mortimer Poncz; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- IMMUNE RESPONSES TO P FALCIPARUM IN HIGHLAND KENYAChandy John; Fiscal Year: 2002..falciparum antigens to susceptibility to infection and disease is important in the evaluation of these antigens as malaria vaccine candidates. ..
- NOVEL THERAPEUTIC STRATEGIES IN MYELODYSPLASTIC SYNDROMEH Deeg; Fiscal Year: 2003..Optimization of therapy, in turn, should reduce morbidity and mortality associated with MDS and improve the quality of life of patients with MDS. ..
- Effects of Vasoactive Drugs on Perfusion in Septic ShockPatrick Murray; Fiscal Year: 2005..focusing on prevention and management of septic acute renal failure, as a surrogate endpoint to optimize systemic perfusion in hyperdynamic states. ..
- Initiation and Regulation of Platelet Thrombus FormationZAVERIO RUGGERI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of the proposed studies will have an impact on public health by providing novel mechanistic information on processes that are central to normal hemostasis and pathological arterial thrombosis. ..
- REGULATION OF CYTOKINE GENES IN MUCOSAL VIRAL INFECTIONAllan Brasier; Fiscal Year: 2006..Expression of dominant-negative NF-KB and CBP/p300 coactivators will be used to determine their effect on coactivator recruitment. These studies will identify signaling mechanisms and protein interactions in viral-induced inflammation. ..
- Linkage Studies of Quantitative Ocular TraitsBarbara Klein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Subsequent follow-up with fine mapping of areas of interest in the genome is planned. ..
- A Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study of HIV-DementiaAnn Ragin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Experience gained during the proposed award will lay the foundation for further independent investigations of neurobiological factors in HIV-D. ..
- Phase1/11 study of 5-aza-2'-deoxycytidine and valproic *Guillermo Garcia Manero; Fiscal Year: 2005..Decitabine will be generously provided by SuperGen (r). Valproic acid is an FDA approved anti-convulsant. ..
- Development of UTL-5b for Rheumatoid Arthritis: Mechanism of ActionJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2007..This phase 1 study will focus on a comprehensive collagen-induced arthritis animal study. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Genetics of Integrin Collagen ReceptorsThomas Kunicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..From a clinical standpoint, these studies will also reveal the impact of these gene differences on risk for adverse events in bleeding disorders such as Von Willebrand Disease. ..
- Osmoregulated Proteins in the Inner MedullaTomas Berl; Fiscal Year: 2007..These experiments should define genes and proteins involved in osmoregulation and particularly unveil the role of the subunit as a vital component in the adaption to the hypertonic environment of the mammalian inner medulla. ..
- HCV-HIV Coinfection: Impact of Immune DysfunctionRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K-23 award will protect this candidates time and help him mature into a senior investigator in Hepatology. ..
- Nutritional Status In HIV Hispanic Drug AbusersJanet Forrester; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed study will build on the infrastructure of the BIENESTAR study (NIDA DA 11598) and the BIENESTAR-micronutrient study (NIDA DA 14501). ..
- A Proteogenomic Analysis of Platelets in Patients with Essential ThrombocythemiaDavid Kuter; Fiscal Year: 2008Essential thrombocythemia (ET) is a myeloproliferative disease (MPD) characterized by a chronically elevated platelet count and an increased risk of thrombosis...
- Cell Death and Clonal Survival in Myelodysplastic Syndr*H Deeg; Fiscal Year: 2008..To achieve these objectives, we must better understand the underlying mechanisms of MDS and thereby identify ways by which the disease process can be arrested, progression prevented, and the disease hopefully be cured. ..
- Molecular Characterization of a Human DysfibrinogenVERONICA FLOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will provide valuable information about the structural and functional behavior of this dysfibrinogen and will ultimately improve understanding of clot formation and the process of hemostasis. ..
- Environmental Determinants of Sleep Disturbance: Role of Ambient Air PollutionJiu Chiuan Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INTEGRIN SIGNALING IN ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIAArnold Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the cell-cell interaction between BM stromal cells and pre-B ALL cells may provide future therapeutic strategies with which to modulate the growth of these leukemias. ..