Genomes and Genes
Summary: Measurement of rate of settling of erythrocytes in anticoagulated blood.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritisCarlo Salvarani
Rheumatology Service, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
N Engl J Med 347:261-71. 2002
- An early and sustained peripheral inflammatory response in acute ischaemic stroke: relationships with infection and atherosclerosisHedley C A Emsley
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Neuroimmunol 139:93-101. 2003....
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein level, and serum amyloid a protein for patient selection and monitoring of anti-tumor necrosis factor treatment in ankylosing spondylitisMirjam K de Vries
VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 61:1484-90. 2009....
- Efficacy and safety of secukinumab, a fully human anti-interleukin-17A monoclonal antibody, in patients with moderate-to-severe psoriatic arthritis: a 24-week, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase II proof-of-concept trialIain B McInnes
Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 73:349-56. 2014..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of secukinumab, a fully human, anti-interleukin (IL)-17A monoclonal antibody, in patients with psoriatic arthritis (PsA)...
- C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and orthopedic implant infectionKerryl E Piper
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9358. 2010..Little information is available on CRP and ESR in patients undergoing revision or resection of shoulder arthroplasties or spine implants...
- Complement receptor 1 gene variants are associated with erythrocyte sedimentation rateIftikhar J Kullo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Hum Genet 89:131-8. 2011....
- Prognostic role of systemic inflammatory response in renal cell carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysisYing Wu
Advanced Institute of NBIC Integrated Drug Discovery and Development, East China Normal University, North Zhongshan Road 3663, Shanghai, 200062, People s Republic of China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 137:887-96. 2011..To summarize the global predicting role of systemic inflammatory response for survival in renal cell carcinoma...
- A multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with the interleukin-1 receptor antagonist anakinra in patients with systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis (ANAJIS trial)Pierre Quartier
Université Paris Descartes and Hôpital Necker Enfants Malades, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Ann Rheum Dis 70:747-54. 2011..To assess the efficacy of the interleukin 1 receptor antagonist anakinra in systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis (SJIA)...
- Macrophages expressing the scavenger receptor CD163: a link between immune alterations of the gut and synovial inflammation in spondyloarthropathyDominique Baeten
Department of Rheumatology, OK121B, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
J Pathol 196:343-50. 2002..The correlation with inflammatory parameters, the expression of HLA-DR, the production of TNFalpha but not IL-10, and the reduction by anti-TNFalpha therapy support a role for CD163+ macrophages in the synovial inflammation in SpA...
- Use of erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein level to diagnose infection before revision total knee arthroplasty. A prospective evaluationNelson V Greidanus
Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia, Laurel Pavilion, 910 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5Z 4E3, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1409-16. 2007..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic test characteristics of the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein level for the assessment of infection in patients presenting for revision total knee arthroplasty...
- Anakinra for systemic juvenile arthritis: the Rocky Mountain experienceAndrew Zeft
Division of Immunology and Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84158, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 15:161-4. 2009....
- Serum levels of IL-33 is increased in patients with ankylosing spondylitisGuo Wei Han
Department of Spinal Surgery, Huangpu Division of First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Clin Rheumatol 30:1583-8. 2011..Serum levels of IL-33 were elevated in AS patients. IL-33 may play a role in AS development via enhancing TNF-α production by PBMCs and inducing neutrophil migration...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-3 serum levels are correlated with disease activity and predict clinical response in rheumatoid arthritisC Ribbens
Department and Laboratory of Rheumatology, University of Liege, Belgium
J Rheumatol 27:888-93. 2000..To demonstrate that serum matrix metalloproteinase-3 (MMP-3) is a variable associated with disease activity and with the response to treatment in rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Validity and predictive ability of the juvenile arthritis disease activity score based on CRP versus ESR in a Nordic population-based settingE B Nordal
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital of North Norway, N 9038, Tromsø, Norway
Ann Rheum Dis 71:1122-7. 2012..To compare the juvenile arthritis disease activity score (JADAS) based on C reactive protein (CRP) (JADAS-CRP) with JADAS based on erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) (JADAS-ESR) and to validate JADAS in a population-based setting...
- Definition of remission and relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica: data from a literature search compared with a Delphi-based expert consensusChristian Dejaco
Correspondence to Professor Michael Schirmer, Department of Internal Medicine I, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 70:447-53. 2011..To compare current definitions of remission and relapse in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) with items resulting from a Delphi-based expert consensus...
- Which measure of inflammation to use? A comparison of erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein measurements from randomized clinical trials of golimumab in rheumatoid arthritisCynthia S Crowson
Division of Rheumatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1606-10. 2009..To assess clinical utility of measurements of C-reactive protein (CRP) versus Westergren erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) in evaluating patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Clinical outcomes, quality of life, and diagnostic uncertainty in the first year of polymyalgia rheumaticaAndrew Hutchings
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Arthritis Rheum 57:803-9. 2007....
- Treatment of refractory polymyalgia rheumatica with etanercept: an open pilot studyMaria Grazia Catanoso
Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 57:1514-9. 2007..To investigate whether etanercept has a steroid-sparing effect in the treatment of patients with relapsing polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Is the course of steroid-treated polymyalgia rheumatica more severe in women?Marco A Cimmino
Clinica Reumatologica, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialita Mediche, Universita di Genova, Viale Benedetto XV, 6, 16129 Genova, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1069:315-21. 2006..In conclusion, sex is probably modulating the response to corticosteroids. This finding emphasizes the need to consider differences between males and females in the clinical and therapeutic approach to PMR patients...
- Anemia in early rheumatoid arthritis is associated with interleukin 6-mediated bone marrow suppression, but has no effect on disease course or mortalityCathrin Nikolaisen
Department of Rheumatology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
J Rheumatol 35:380-6. 2008..We investigated the prevalence, relation with proinflammatory cytokines, and effect on disease outcome of ACD in patients with RA...
- Aortic aneurysm and dissection in patients with biopsy-proven giant cell arteritis from northwestern Spain: a population-based studyMiguel A Gonzalez-Gay
Division of Rheumatology, Hospital Xeral Calde, Lugo, Spain
Medicine (Baltimore) 83:335-41. 2004..GCA patients having these features should be monitored for the existence of aortic aneurysm and dissection...
- Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (anakinra) treatment in patients with systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis or adult onset Still disease: preliminary experience in FranceT Lequerre
Rheumatology Department, Rouen University Hospital and Inserm 905, 76031 Rouen, France
Ann Rheum Dis 67:302-8. 2008..Anakinra treatment has been reported to be effective in some patients with systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis (SoJIA) or adult-onset Still disease (AoSD)...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, an independent predictor of coronary heart disease in men and women: The Reykjavik StudyMargret B Andresdottir
Icelandic Heart Association Research Institute, Kopavogur, Iceland
Am J Epidemiol 158:844-51. 2003..06) and 16% for women (p = 0.08). In conclusion, ESR is a long-term independent predictor of CHD in both men and women. These findings support the evidence of an inflammatory process in atherosclerosis...
- Mean platelet volume in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: the effect of anti-TNF-α therapyArmen Yuri Gasparyan
Department of Rheumatology, Clinical Research Unit, Russell s Hall Hospital, Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 2HQ, UK
Rheumatol Int 30:1125-9. 2010..More prospective studies with large numbers of patients are warranted to ascertain associations of high and low values of MPV with diverse markers of inflammation and vascular pathology...
- Comparison of Disease Activity Score (DAS)28- erythrocyte sedimentation rate and DAS28- C-reactive protein threshold valuesEisuke Inoue
Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 66:407-9. 2007....
- Disease Activity Score 28 (DAS28) using C-reactive protein underestimates disease activity and overestimates EULAR response criteria compared with DAS28 using erythrocyte sedimentation rate in a large observational cohort of rheumatoid arthritis patients Toshihiro Matsui
Department of Rheumatology, Sagamihara National Hospital, National Hospital Organization 18 1, Sakuradai Sagamihara city, Kanagawa, 228 8522, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1221-6. 2007....
- [Observation of body temperature and erythrocyte sedimentation rate in spinal tuberculosis patients with anterior interbody autograft and internal fixation]Lan Feng
Department of Orthopedics and Spine Surgery, Nanfang Hospital, First Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Di Yi Jun Yi Da Xue Xue Bao 22:84-5. 2002..The observation conducted in 21 cases establishes the 2 parameters as simple and reliable indicators for post-operative assessment of the patients...
- Neutrophil CD64 is an improved indicator of infection or sepsis in emergency department patientsBruce H Davis
Trillium Diagnostics, LLC, Maine Medical Center Research Institute, Scarborough, ME, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:654-61. 2006..Neutrophil CD64 expression has been proposed as an improved diagnostic test for the evaluation of infection and sepsis...
- A simple, cost-effective screening protocol to rule out periprosthetic infectionMatthew S Austin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
J Arthroplasty 23:65-8. 2008..Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and CRP, when used in combination, serve as a useful screening tool in patients with a painful total knee arthroplasty...
- Survival and effectiveness of leflunomide compared with methotrexate and sulfasalazine in rheumatoid arthritis: a matched observational studyD Aletaha
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Vienna, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 62:944-51. 2003..To determine the survival and clinical effectiveness of leflunomide (LEF) compared with methotrexate (MTX) and sulfasalazine (SSZ) for RA in an observational study...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein levels are poorly correlated with clinical measures of disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus and osteoarthritis patientsR T Keenan
NYU Hospital for Joint Disease, New York, USA
Clin Exp Rheumatol 26:814-9. 2008....
- On the accuracy of history, physical examination, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate in diagnosing low back pain in general practice. A criteria-based review of the literatureH M van den Hoogen
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:318-27. 1995..Reproducibility of signs and symptoms over time might be a valuable diagnostic criterion. However, this was neglected in almost all studies...
- Trial of Atorvastatin in Rheumatoid Arthritis (TARA): double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trialDavid W McCarey
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, University of Glasgow, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Lancet 363:2015-21. 2004..We postulated that statins might reduce inflammatory factors in rheumatoid arthritis and modify surrogates for vascular risk...
- Sedimentation characteristics of leucocytes can predict bacteraemia in critical care patientsL Bogar
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pecs, Hungary
J Clin Pathol 59:523-5. 2006..An earlier indication would lead to the initiation of immediate and adequate antibiotic treatment with obvious advantages for the patient...
- Serum and synovial fluid leptin levels and markers of inflammation in rheumatoid arthritisArzu Seven
Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 29:743-7. 2009..ESR is positively correlated with DAS activity and CRP values. Our finding of no correlation between leptin and BMI shows that regulation of leptinemia is complex, and leptin levels cannot be used to assess RA activity...
- Relationship between serum interleukin-1beta levels and acute phase response proteins in patients with familial Mediterranean feverKadir Yildirim
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ataturk University, Medical Faculty, Erzurum, Turkey
Biochem Med (Zagreb) 22:109-13. 2012....
- Modulation of lipoprotein plasma concentrations during long-term anti-TNF therapy in patients with active rheumatoid arthritisCalin Popa
Department of General Internal Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 66:1503-7. 2007..In the present study, we investigated the effects of 1-year therapy with anti-TNF on the lipid profile of RA patients...
- Association of platelet and leukocyte counts with delayed cerebral ischemia in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhageK M Kasius
Department of Neurology, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cerebrovasc Dis 29:576-83. 2010..We studied the relationship of levels of leukocytes, platelets, C-reactive protein (CRP), and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) with the development of DCI and with clinical outcome in patients with aneurysmal SAH...
- Radiological outcome in rheumatoid arthritis is predicted by presence of antibodies against cyclic citrullinated peptide before and at disease onset, and by IgA-RF at disease onsetE Berglin
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital, 901 85 Umea, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 65:453-8. 2006....
- Responsiveness of clinical measures to flare of disease activity in juvenile idiopathic arthritisS Magni-Manzoni
Dipartimento di Pediatria, Universita di Pavia, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 23:421-5. 2005..To compare the responsiveness of clinical measures in the assessment of disease flare in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)...
- A novel approach for assessments of erythrocyte sedimentation rateA Pribush
Faculty of Health Sciences, Experimental Hematology Laboratory, Physiology Department, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Int J Lab Hematol 33:251-7. 2011..Based on this scheme of structural transformation, a novel approach for assessments of erythrocyte sedimentation is suggested...
- Relationship of serum IL-6, C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, and knee skin temperature after total knee arthroplasty: a prospective studySittisak Honsawek
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand
Int Orthop 35:31-5. 2011..A sustained elevation in serum IL-6, CRP, ESR, and skin temperature must raise the concern of early complication and may suggest the development of postoperative complication such as haematoma and/or infection...
- Anakinra as first-line disease-modifying therapy in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis: report of forty-six patients from an international multicenter seriesPeter A Nigrovic
Children s Hospital Boston and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Arthritis Rheum 63:545-55. 2011..To examine the safety and efficacy of the interleukin-1 (IL-1) receptor antagonist anakinra as first-line therapy for systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA)...
- The preoperative erythrocyte sedimentation rate is an independent prognostic factor in renal cell carcinomaShomik Sengupta
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 106:304-12. 2006..Hence, the current study was conducted to expand on prior observations pertaining to the ESR as a prognostic indicator in patients with RCC...
- Relative sensitivity to change of the erythrocyte sedimentation rate and serum C-reactive protein concentration in rheumatoid arthritisMichael M Ward
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Rheumatol 31:884-95. 2004..To compare the sensitivity to change of the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and serum C-reactive protein (CRP) concentration used as measures of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) activity...
- Relationship between some acute phase reactants and the Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index in patients with ankylosing spondylitisKadir Yildirim
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
South Med J 97:350-3. 2004..The aims of this study were to investigate a possible relationship between the Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index (BASDAI) and some acute phase reactant (APR) levels in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS)...
- Initiation of glucocorticoid therapy: before or after temporal artery biopsy?Brian R Younge
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 79:483-91. 2004..To identify clinical findings in patients with suspected giant cell arteritis (GCA) that may help clinicians decide when to initiate glucocorticoid therapy...
- Synovial fluid-derived T helper 17 cells correlate with inflammatory activity in arthritis, irrespectively of diagnosisGaetano Zizzo
Department of Rheumatology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, CIC, Via Moscati 31, 00168, Rome, Italy
Clin Immunol 138:107-16. 2011..The TCR-zeta(dim) lymphocytes in SF were found to produce the highest amounts of cytokines including IL-17, whereas no ZAP-70 impairment was associated to Th17...
- Serum sIL-2r, IL-6, IL-10 and TNF-alpha level in familial Mediterranean fever patientsY Baykal
Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane School of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Etlik Ankara 06018, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 22:99-101. 2003..However, the cost of cytokine measurement analyses seems disadvantageous at present...
- Plasma monocyte chemoattractant protein 1 is a marker for joint inflammation in rheumatoid arthritisT Ellingsen
Department of Rheumatology, Arhus University Hospital, Denmark
J Rheumatol 28:41-6. 2001..001). No correlation was found between SF MCP-1 levels and in vitro migration of mononuclear cells towards SF. MCP-1 appears to participate in the disease process in RA, and plasma MCP-1 may be useful in monitoring joint inflammation...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) measured by the Streck ESR-Auto Plus is higher than with the Sediplast Westergren method: a validation studyBharathi Vennapusa
Dept of Pathology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, 87131, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 135:386-90. 2011..The y-intercept was at 6.5 using linear regression, indicating systematic bias with a mean difference of 7.13 using the t test (P < .0001). We modified our reference ranges to rectify the systematic bias found during validation...
- Serum amyloid A as a potent therapeutic marker in a refractory patient with polymyalgia rheumaticaYasuhiro Shimojima
Third Department of Medicine, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
Intern Med 44:1009-12. 2005..When clinical symptoms remain with negative results for CRP and ESR even after the start of corticosteroid treatment, SAA might be a potent therapeutic marker for disease activity in PMR...
- Reference value of younger people's erythrocyte sedimentation rate and altitudeGe Miao
J Lab Clin Med 143:367-8. 2004
- Serum amyloid a as a useful indicator of disease activity in patients with ankylosing spondylitisSang Youn Jung
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Sinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 48:218-24. 2007..To investigate whether serum amyloid A (SAA) levels are increased in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and whether its levels correlate well with AS disease activity...
- [Erythrocyte sedimentation rate--more than an old fashion?]W H Reinhart
Departement Innere Medizin, Kantonsspital Chur
Ther Umsch 63:108-12. 2006..In acute disease states and their monitoring C-reactive protein and eventually procalcitonin are the tests of choice. The ESR should not be used for screening and check-up examinations in asymptomatic patients...
- Monitoring of blood parameters following anterior cervical fusionS K Rosahl
Department of Neurosurgery, Nordstadt Hospital, Hannover, Germany
J Neurosurg 92:169-74. 2000..The object of the authors was to quantify the differences in the responses of these parameters recorded in the immediate postoperative period and to determine factors influencing their course...
- Inflamed shoulder structures in polymyalgia rheumatica with normal erythrocyte sedimentation rateF Cantini
Divisione di Medicina, Ospedale di Prato, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 44:1155-9. 2001..MRI or US of the shoulder may facilitate the proper diagnosis in patients with the typical proximal symptoms of PMR who also have normal ESRs...
- The clinical course of polymyalgia rheumatica in ChineseWai Ling Li
Department of Medicine, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong, China
Clin Rheumatol 29:199-203. 2010..Chinese patients with PMR have modestly different clinical profile compared to the Caucasian counterpart. RF and anti-CCP antibodies were more likely to be present in those who subsequently developed into RA...
- Presenting features of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and rheumatoid arthritis with PMR-like onset: a prospective studyR Caporali
Cattedra di Reumatologia, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ann Rheum Dis 60:1021-4. 2001..To evaluate in a prospective study whether patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with PMR-like onset show distinctive clinical and laboratory features...
- The clinical use of erythrocyte sedimentation rate in pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitisE J Carragee
Stanford University School of Medicine, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2089-93. 1997....
- Predictors of joint damage in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis treated with high-dose methotrexate with or without concomitant infliximab: results from the ASPIRE trialJosef S Smolen
Medical University of Vienna and Lainz Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 54:702-10. 2006..To identify disease characteristics leading to progression of joint damage in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) treated with methotrexate (MTX) versus those treated with infliximab plus MTX...
- A comparison of the sensitivity of diagnostic criteria for polymyalgia rheumaticaH A Bird
University of Leeds, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 64:626-9. 2005..To compare the performance of the several different diagnostic criteria sets currently in use for polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)...
- Efficient management of rheumatoid arthritis significantly reduces long-term functional disabilityE Tanaka
Institute of Rheumatology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 10 22 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 0054, Japan
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1153-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the effect of efficient management of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in relation to disability levels in a large cohort of patients with RA over a period of 3 years...
- Vitamin D receptor initiation codon polymorphism, bone density and inflammatory activity of patients with ankylosing spondylitisBarbara M Obermayer-Pietsch
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology Nuclear Medicine, Karl Franzens University, Auenbruggerplatz 15, 8036, Graz, Austria
Osteoporos Int 14:995-1000. 2003..We investigated initiation codon ( FokI) and 3'UTR ( BsmI) polymorphisms of the VDR for whether there could be an association with bone mineral density (BMD) in relation to bone metabolism or inflammatory activity in patients with AS...
- EULAR response criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica: results of an initiative of the European Collaborating Polymyalgia Rheumatica Group (subcommittee of ESCISIT)B F Leeb
Lower Austrian Centre for Rheumatology, HUMANIS Klinikum Lower Austria, Stockerau, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 62:1189-94. 2003..To develop response criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) for monitoring treatment and comparing alternative treatments regimens...
- Corticosteroid requirements in polymyalgia rheumaticaC M Weyand
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 159:577-84. 1999..Guidelines for the optimal use of corticosteroids that maximize relief of symptoms but minimize adverse effects of the therapy are needed...
- Evaluation of serum paraoxonase and arylesterase activities in ankylosing spondylitis patientsFazile Hatipoglu Erdem
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Sifa Hospital Erzurum, Turkey
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:175-9. 2010....
- Comparative usefulness of C-reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate in patients with rheumatoid arthritisF Wolfe
Arthritis Research Center, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 24:1477-85. 1997....
- Diagnostic classification of spondylarthropathy and rheumatoid arthritis by synovial histopathology: a prospective study in 154 consecutive patientsDominique Baeten
Department of Rheumatology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Arthritis Rheum 50:2931-41. 2004....
- Early versus delayed treatment in patients with recent-onset rheumatoid arthritis: comparison of two cohorts who received different treatment strategiesL R Lard
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Med 111:446-51. 2001..002). CONCLUSION: In this nonrandomized comparison, early introduction of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs was associated with a better disease outcome after 2 years...
- Predictors of radiographic joint damage in patients with early rheumatoid arthritisL M Jansen
Jan van Breemen Instituut, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 60:924-7. 2001..Further reduction of the delay in referral and early treatment may further decrease joint damage in patients with recent onset polyarthritis...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein in the evaluation of disease activity and severity in polymyalgia rheumatica: a prospective follow-up studyF Cantini
Unita Reumatologica, 2nd Divisione di Medicina, Ospedale di Prato, Italy
Semin Arthritis Rheum 30:17-24. 2000..To evaluate the usefulness of C-reactive protein (CRP) and ESR in the assessment of PMR activity...
- Acute-phase reactants and the risk of relapse/recurrence in polymyalgia rheumatica: a prospective followup studyCarlo Salvarani
Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 53:33-8. 2005..To determine laboratory parameters that may be useful in identifying polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) patients who require long-term corticosteroid therapy...
- Anti-lipoprotein lipase antibodies: a new player in the complex atherosclerotic process in systemic lupus erythematosus?Jozelio Freire de Carvalho
Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Avenida Dr Arnaldo, 455 3 andar, CEP 01246, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Arthritis Rheum 50:3610-5. 2004....
- Use of C-reactive protein after spinal surgery: comparison with erythrocyte sedimentation rate as predictor of early postoperative infectious complicationsJames M Mok
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0728, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:415-21. 2008..This is a prospective observational study of erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP) in a cohort of patients undergoing spinal surgery...
- Recombinant human tumor necrosis factor receptor (etanercept) for treating ankylosing spondylitis: a randomized, controlled trialJohn C Davis
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Arthritis Rheum 48:3230-6. 2003..To determine the safety and efficacy of etanercept in a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of adults with moderate to severe active ankylosing spondylitis (AS)...
- A case ascertainment study of septic discitis: clinical, microbiological and radiological featuresN Hopkinson
Department of Rheumatology, Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals, Bournemouth, UK
QJM 94:465-70. 2001..Septic discitis should be considered in any patient who has severe localized pain at any spinal level, especially if accompanied by fever and elevated ESR, or in the immunosuppressed...
- Course of radiographic damage over 10 years in a cohort with early rheumatoid arthritisE Lindqvist
Department of Rheumatology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden Department of Radiology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 62:611-6. 2003..To investigate development of radiographic damage in hands and feet of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) monitored prospectively for 10 years, and to search for prognostic factors...
- Plasma total antioxidant capacity, lipid peroxidation, and erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritisSezgin Sarban
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harran University, Medical Faculty, 63200 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Clin Biochem 38:981-6. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate the total antioxidant capacity (TAC), levels of lipid peroxidation (LPO), and antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Early-phase enhanced inflammatory reaction after spinal instrumentation surgeryJ Takahashi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Shinshu University, Nagano, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1698-704. 2001....
- Quantitation of C-reactive protein levels and erythrocyte sedimentation rate after spinal surgeryU Thelander
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, , Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:400-4. 1992..C-reactive protein is presumably a better test than erythrocyte sedimentation rate for early detection of postoperative infection...
- The polymyalgia rheumatica activity score in daily use: proposal for a definition of remissionBurkhard F Leeb
Lower Austrian Center for Rheumatology, State Hospital Stockerau, Stockerau, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 57:810-5. 2007..To confirm the reliability and applicability of the Polymyalgia Rheumatica Disease Activity Score (PMR-AS), and to establish a threshold for remission...
- Clinical, biological, and histologic parameters as predictors of relapse in ulcerative colitisA Bitton
Gastroenterology Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gastroenterology 120:13-20. 2001..Ulcerative colitis (UC) is a chronic relapsing inflammatory bowel disease. We aimed to assess whether clinical, biological, and histologic parameters in quiescent UC predict time to clinical relapse...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate, coronary atherosclerosis, and cardiac mortalityAndrea Natali
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Eur Heart J 24:639-48. 2003..To test whether the erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) is related to the extension of coronary atherosclerosis (ATS) and predicts cardiac mortality...
- Treatment of refractory polymyalgia rheumatica with infliximab: a pilot studyCarlo Salvarani
Unita Reumatologica, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Rheumatol 30:760-3. 2003..To investigate whether infliximab has a steroid-sparing effect in the treatment of patients with polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) who are resistant to corticosteroid (CS) therapy and have had CS-related side effects...
- The C-reactive protein but not erythrocyte sedimentation rate is associated with clinical severity in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee or hipF Wolfe
Arthritis Research Center, Wichita, KS 67214, USA
J Rheumatol 24:1486-8. 1997..In addition, to compare CRP with erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) in their ability to associate with osteoarthritic symptoms and features...
- Ten year outcome in a cohort of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis: health status, disease process, and damageE Lindqvist
Department of Rheumatology, Lund University Hospital, S 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Ann Rheum Dis 61:1055-9. 2002..To investigate outcome as measured by health status, disease process, and damage in an unselected group of patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) monitored prospectively for 10 years and to search for prognostic factors...
- Prevalence and risk factors of osteoporosis in female SLE patients-extended reportK Almehed
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Reserch, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1185-90. 2007..In addition, to evaluate if adequate anti-osteoporotic treatment was provided...
- Comparative study of the synovial histology in rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthropathy, and osteoarthritis: influence of disease duration and activityD Baeten
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital, University of Ghent, Belgium
Ann Rheum Dis 59:945-53. 2000....
- A disease activity score for polymyalgia rheumaticaB F Leeb
2nd Department of Medicine, Lower Austrian Centre for Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Humanisklinikum Lower Austria, A 2000 Stockerau, Landstrasse 18, Austria
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1279-83. 2004..To develop a composite score for measurement of disease activity in polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) and assess its internal and external validity...
- Is sulfasalazine effective in ankylosing spondylitis? A systematic review of randomized controlled trialsJunmin Chen
Australasian Cochrane Centre
J Rheumatol 33:722-31. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of sulfasalazine (SSZ) for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis (AS)...
- C-reactive protein values and erythrocyte sedimentation rates after total hip and total knee arthroplastyO Bilgen
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, , Bursa, Turkey
J Int Med Res 29:7-12. 2001..Serum CRP levels changed more rapidly than ESRs and returned to normal more rapidly. CRP and ESR values tended to be higher in TKR than in THR patients...
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate after lumbar spine surgeryB Jonsson
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:1049-50. 1991....
- Interleukin-6, procalcitonin and TNF-alpha: markers of peri-prosthetic infection following total joint replacementF Bottner
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York 10021, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:94-9. 2007..A highly specific marker such as procalcitonin and pre-operative aspiration of the joint might be useful in identifying patients with true positive C-reactive protein and/or interleukin-6 levels...
- Is DAS28 an appropriate tool to assess remission in rheumatoid arthritis?H Makinen
Jyvaskyla Central Hospital, Keskussairaalantie 19, 40620 Jyvaskyla, Finland
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1410-3. 2005..To study which cut off point of DAS28 corresponds to fulfilment of the American Rheumatism Association (ARA) preliminary remission criteria, and clinical remission criteria in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Microvascular function is impaired in ankylosing spondylitis and improves after tumour necrosis factor alpha blockadeI C van Eijk
Department of Rheumatology, Jan van Breemen Institute, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 68:362-6. 2009..To test this, we assessed microvascular function in (a) patients with AS compared to healthy controls and (b) patients with AS before and after 1 month of anti-tumour necrosis factor (TNF)alpha treatment with etanercept...
- Protein oxidation status in patients with ankylosing spondylitisC Yazici
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Rheumatology (Oxford) 43:1235-9. 2004..Therefore, the importance of neutrophil activation as the main source of oxidative stress was investigated in patients with AS...
- ESR or CRP? A comparison of their clinical utilityA Osei-Bimpong
Department of Haematology, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Hematology 12:353-7. 2007....
- Very recent onset arthritis--clinical, laboratory, and radiological findings during the first year of diseaseKlaus P Machold
Department of Rheumatology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Rheumatol 29:2278-87. 2002..To describe clinical and radiological findings in patients with very early arthritis (< 3 months of symptoms) during one year of observation...
- Serum homocysteine level is increased and correlated with endothelin-1 and nitric oxide in Behçet's diseaseH Er
Inonu University Medical Faculty, Turgut Ozal Medical Centre, Research Hospital, Turkey
Br J Ophthalmol 86:653-7. 2002..The authors aimed to detect serum total homocysteine (tHcy), ET-1, and NO in BD and to assess if tHcy, ET-1, and NO are associated with ocular BD or disease activity...
- C-reactive protein and other circulating markers of inflammation in the prediction of coronary heart diseaseJohn Danesh
Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 350:1387-97. 2004..We report data from a large study of C-reactive protein and other circulating inflammatory markers, as well as updated meta-analyses, to evaluate their relevance to the prediction of coronary heart disease...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Corticosteroids for Children with Febrile Urinary Tract InfectionsNader Shaikh; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- ENDODONTIC TREATMENT FOR PERSONS WHO ARE HIV POSITIVEDavid Rosenstein; Fiscal Year: 2001..Patients will be clinically examined at 3,6,12,18 and 24 months to diagnose successful or failed treatments. Logistic regression analysis will correlate the serological parameters with successful or failed treatments. ..
- DIAGNOSTIC TEST TO EVALUATE IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEBRIAN CRAINE; Fiscal Year: 1999..The primarily software product will be very economical and should result in quite large savings in overall resource utilization. This economical incentive along with patient benefit will result in a successful commercial development. ..
- PEMF Efficacy in Reducing Rheumatoid Arthritis SymptomsCheryl Bourguignon; Fiscal Year: 2005..Women in the active and sham PEMF groups will also record their daily intervention use. Descriptive statistics and mixed effects models will be used to conduct the analysis of the aims. ..
- A CLINICAL TRIAL OF THALIDOMIDE FOR CROHN'S DISEASEEli Ehrenpreis; Fiscal Year: 2000..It will also help to characterize previous observations of a rapid response to thalidomide in this patient group. ..
- Inflammation and Ovarian CancerClareann Bunker; Fiscal Year: 2008..In particular, NSAID use may prove to be a potentially important chemopreventative for this often-fatal disease. ..
- Endotoxin-induced Uveitis RevisitedJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Future studies can buil d on these observations to test anti-inflammtory molecules induced by endotoxin as these molecules are potentially useful in the treatment of uveitis and other inflammations. ..
- IMMUNOLOGY/MOLECULAR BIOLOGY TRAINING IN OPHTHALMOLOGYJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2007..The quality of the institution, the talents of the specific faculty, the abilities of the applicant pool, and the proven success of the program areadditional strengths of this application. ..
- CR1 AND FCYRIIA/IIIA DEFECTS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF SLEDANIEL BIRMINGHAM; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of the proposed studies should clarify the roles that both genetic and acquired defects in CR1 play in the onset and disease manifestation of SLE. ..
- MINORITY BASED COMMUNITY CLINICAL ONCOLOGY PROGRAMPeter Wiernik; Fiscal Year: 2006..Efforts in screening and prevention intervention will be facilitated through the Community Outreach program and Community Council. ..
- The Role of Inflammation on Endothelia Function in SLE WomenELISA RHEW; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHEMOTACTIC FACTORS IN ANIMAL MODELS OF UVEITISJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that these aims are novel, innovative, especially suited to the skills and achievements demonstrated by our laboratory, and highly relevant to clarifying the pathogenesis of anterior uveitis. ..
- Matrix Metalloproteinases in Kawasaki DiseaseJane Burns; Fiscal Year: 2008..This K24 award will allow the PI to relinquish administrative responsibilities and to share clinical responsibilities with the fellows to allow more time for mentoring activities. ..
- Proteomic Markers of ArteriosclerosisIftikhar Kullo; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UVEITIS GENE-EXPRESSION PROFILINGJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..The creation of a gene expression data base for patients with uveitis has the potential to clarify the pathogenesis of disease, establish new diagnostic tools, and provide a means for predicting prognosis. ..
- FOUR DIMENSIONAL IMAGING OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE IN VIVOJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should result in a fundamental improvement in the understanding of how T cells behave within a site of inflammation. ..
- Inflammatory markers in CVD and OP in SLE womenELISA RHEW; Fiscal Year: 2006..The project outlined in this proposal will provide a strong foundation for achieving my ultimate goal of becoming an independent clinical investigator. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of a Spinal Intervertebral Disc ProsthesisGLENN BUTTERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective of Phase I is to demonstrate that the device restores normal spine biomechanics (range of motion and stiffness) and is durable in fatigue testing. ..
- Obstacles to Answering Physicians' Patient-Care QuestionJohn Ely; Fiscal Year: 2003..Benefit: By identifying areas where knowledge resources fail to meet the needs of physicians, we will provide recommendations to help knowledge base developers better meet those needs. ..
- ROLE OF COMPLEMENT FACTOR B IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF SLEGary Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide new insight into the role of the alternative pathway in disease and potentially provide a new therapeutic target (Factor B) in immune complex mediated diseases. ..
- Anterior Uveal Dendritic CellsJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will clarify the function of the immune system within the eye and may suggest novel therapeutic approaches in the treatment of uveitis. ..
- ANDROGEN AS ADJUNCT THERAPY IN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITISJohn Davis; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Biomarkers of Peripheral Arterial DiseaseIftikhar Kullo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Markers and gene expression in Kawasaki DiseaseJane C Burns; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will build on previous work to understand the genetic basis for susceptibility to KD and its complications, which will lead to new insights into therapeutics and disease prevention. ..
- Use and Outcome of Total Joint Replacement in HispanicsAGUSTIN ESCALANTE; Fiscal Year: 2005..His mentoring role will also help create a critical mass of investigators focused on arthritis-related disability among the U.S. Hispanic population. ..
- Functional Arterial Changes in AtherogenesisIftikhar Kullo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CLINICAL TRAILS IN PEDIATRIC RHEUMATOLOGYDaniel Lovell; Fiscal Year: 2004..2. Determine the long-term efficacy and safety of these treatment regimens in sJRA. ..
- Determinants of arterial function in hypertensionIftikhar J Kullo; Fiscal Year: 2010..The aim of our investigation is to identify novel proteins and genes that influence arterial function. Such work will help in identifying those at risk of developing arterial disease and facilitate development of new therapies. ..
- EFFECT OF COMP MUTATION ON MUSCULOSKELETAL DEVELOPMENTPaul Di Cesare; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identifying the functions, synthesis, interactions, tissue distribution and expression of COMP is critical to understanding its influence on growth during endochondral ossification and articular cartilage structure and function. ..
- 8th International Kawasaki Disease SymposiumJane Burns; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- TRIPTORELIN FOR OVARY PROTECTION IN CHILDHOOD LIPUSHermine Brunner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided ..
- ROLE OF PPAR GAMMA IN LUPUS NEPHRITISGary Gilkeson; Fiscal Year: 2005..As agonists of PPAR gamma (the thiazolidinediones) are already approved for human use, insight gained from these studies can be quickly translated into human trials. ..
- Atheroclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis cohortINMACULADA DEL RINCON; Fiscal Year: 2005..This would ultimately lengthen life expectancy and improve the quality of life of people with inflammatory diseases. ..
- PON1 and Developmental Sensitivity to OP PesticidesNina T Holland; Fiscal Year: 2010..These data will support planning for the National Children's Study, identify subpopulations susceptible to chemical warfare agents, and inform policy decisions for implementation of the Food Quality Protection Act. ..
- Growth hormone secretagogue MK-677 therapy in CKD and ESRDWARREN BOLTON; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mental Health Services in NY after WTC DisasterJoseph Boscarino; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammatory markers and improving CHD risk assessmentPeter Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- NEPHRITOGENIC EPITOPES IN GOODPASTURES SYNDROMEWARREN BOLTON; Fiscal Year: 2001..Further, the knowledge resultant from these investigations may provide a basis for the eventual development of specific therapeutic interventions for Goodpasture's syndrome. ..