Genomes and Genes
blood cell count
Summary: The number of LEUKOCYTES and ERYTHROCYTES per unit volume in a sample of venous BLOOD. A complete blood count (CBC) also includes measurement of the HEMOGLOBIN; HEMATOCRIT; and ERYTHROCYTE INDICES.
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Haemotoxicity of thiamphenicol in the BALB/c mouse and Wistar Hanover ratJ A Turton
Centre for Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 40:1849-61. 2002..We conclude that TAP induced haematological changes in the mouse and rat, parallelling the dose-dependent, reversible marrow depression reported in man; TAP is more haemotoxic in the rat than in the mouse...
- Red cell distribution width in patients with prehypertension and hypertensionAsli Tanindi
Department of Cardiology, Cankiri State Hospital, Aksu mahallesi, Ogretmenler, Sokak, Cankiri, Turkey
Blood Press 21:177-81. 2012....
- Eosinophil count and neutrophil-lymphocyte count ratio as prognostic markers in patients with bacteremia: a retrospective cohort studyRoser Terradas
Department of Epidemiology and Health Services Evaluation, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Espana
PLoS ONE 7:e42860. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate whether changes in eosinophil count, as well as the neutrophil-lymphocyte count ratio (NLCR), could be used as clinical markers of outcome in patients with bacteremia...
- The value of a complete blood count in predicting cancer of the colonDerrick W Spell
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555 0565, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 28:37-42. 2004..The red cell distribution width was 84% sensitive and 88% specific for right-sided colon cancer. An elevated red cell distribution width may help better identify those patients who should be referred for full colonoscopy...
- Acute inflammatory responses in the airways and peripheral blood after short-term exposure to diesel exhaust in healthy human volunteersS Salvi
University Medicine Department, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, and Cardiovascular Research, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 159:702-9. 1999....
- Occupational exposure to formaldehyde, hematotoxicity, and leukemia-specific chromosome changes in cultured myeloid progenitor cellsLuoping Zhang
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:80-8. 2010....
- Reduced number of circulating endothelial progenitor cells predicts future cardiovascular events: proof of concept for the clinical importance of endogenous vascular repairCaroline Schmidt-Lucke
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine III, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Circulation 111:2981-7. 2005..Circulating EPCs may thus provide an endogenous repair mechanism to counteract ongoing risk factor-induced endothelial injury and to replace dysfunctional endothelium...
- Use of the complete blood cell count in early-onset neonatal sepsisChristoph P Hornik
Department of Pediatrics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:799-802. 2012..The complete blood cell count and differential have been previously evaluated as diagnostic tools for EOS in small, single-center reports...
- High hemocyte load is associated with increased resistance against parasitoids in Drosophila suzukii, a relative of D. melanogasterBalint Z Kacsoh
Biology Department, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e34721. 2012..Given that D. suzukii is an emerging agricultural pest, identification of the few parasitoid wasps that successfully infect D. suzukii may have value for biocontrol...
- The complete blood cell count: a powerful diagnostic toolAnne M Barger
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1008 Hazelwood Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 33:1207-22. 2003..To gain the full benefit of the CBC, it must be used in conjunction with a good history and physical examination as well as with additional components of the minimum database, which include a chemistry panel and urinalysis...
- Validation of the Sysmex XT-2000iV hematology system for dogs, cats, and horses. I. Erythrocytes, platelets, and total leukocyte countsInger Lilliehöök
University Animal Hospital, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Vet Clin Pathol 38:163-74. 2009..The Sysmex XT-2000iV is a laser-based, flow cytometric hematology system that has been introduced for use in large and referral veterinary laboratories...
- Effect of perinatal antiretroviral drug exposure on hematologic values in HIV-uninfected children: An analysis of the women and infants transmission studySusan E Pacheco
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Infect Dis 194:1089-97. 2006..With the increasing use of antiretroviral (ARV) drugs to prevent mother-to-child transmission of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), large numbers of infants are exposed, with possible consequent toxicity...
- Ambient particulate air pollution, heart rate variability, and blood markers of inflammation in a panel of elderly subjectsC Arden Pope
Department of Economics, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT 84602, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:339-45. 2004..5; however, the small statistically significant associations that were observed suggest that exposure to PM2.5 may be one of multiple factors that influence HRV and CRP...
- Mechanisms of mortality in early and late sepsisHongyan Xiao
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, 2210 Medical Science I Building, 1301 Catherine Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0602, USA
Infect Immun 74:5227-35. 2006..Determining the inflammatory status of individual patients may help guide appropriate, targeted therapy...
- Complete blood cell count and retinal vessel diametersBarbara E K Klein
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Wisconsin Madison, 610 N Walnut Street, Madison, WI 53726 2336, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 129:490-7. 2011To examine the cross-sectional associations of components of the complete blood cell count with retinal vessel diameters.
- Hematologic values in young pretraining healthy GreyhoundsRobert E Shiel
Small Animal Clinical Studies Unit, School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Vet Clin Pathol 36:274-7. 2007..The hematologic differences are likely related to breed; however, the influence of other factors, including age, sex, and training, has not been fully determined...
- Age-related variations in hematologic and plasma biochemical test results in Beagles and Labrador RetrieversE Jean Harper
Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, Waltham on the Wolds, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE14 4RT, UK
J Am Vet Med Assoc 223:1436-42. 2003..To investigate age-related variations in results of hematologic and plasma biochemical tests performed on dogs of 2 common breeds...
- Bone marrow: the workhorse organJeannette Y Wick
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, Connecticut Arlington, Virginia, USA
Consult Pharm 28:16-22. 2013..Interpreting CBCs depends on reference values from the laboratory that processes the blood sample. Since reference intervals are formulated based on a younger, much healthier population, data specific to elderly people are limited...
- A novel role for the beta 2 integrin CD11b/CD18 in neutrophil apoptosis: a homeostatic mechanism in inflammationA Coxon
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Immunity 5:653-66. 1996..Thus, CD11b/CD18 plays a novel and unsuspected homeostatic role in inflammation by accelerating the programmed elimination of extravasated neutrophils...
- Performance evaluation of the Sysmex pocH-100iV Diff hematology analyzer for analysis of canine, feline, equine, and bovine bloodBarbara Riond
Clinical Laboratory, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Clin Pathol 40:484-95. 2011..The Sysmex pocH-100iV Diff is an impedance hematology analyzer recently introduced for point-of-care use in veterinary practices in Europe...
- Use of the complete blood cell count in late-onset neonatal sepsisChristoph P Hornik
Department of Pediatrics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:803-7. 2012..Diagnosis of late-onset sepsis can be challenging. The complete blood cell count and differential have been previously evaluated as diagnostic tools for late-onset sepsis in small, single-..
- Sex differences in blood cell counts in the Lothian Birth Cohort 1921 between 79 and 87 yearsJohn M Starr
Centre for Cognitive Ageing and Cognitive Epidemiology, Geriatric Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Royal Victoria Hospital, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Maturitas 69:373-6. 2011..In older adults there are few data that inform about normal ranges and the change in blood cell counts with ageing. These few data indicate that sex differences in blood cell counts persist beyond 70 years...
- The effect of pneumatic tube system on complete blood count parameters and thrombocyte donation in healthy donorsIsmail Sari
Department of Hematology, Pamukkale University, Faculty of Medicine, Denizli, Turkey
Transfus Apher Sci 47:81-3. 2012..No statistically significant differences were observed in order to mean values of routine complete blood cell count and white cell differential parameters that were send for selection of apheresis donor before the procedure...
- Evaluation of the automated hematology analyzer Sysmex XT-2000iV™ compared to the ADVIA® 2120 for its use in dogs, cats, and horses: Part I--precision, linearity, and accuracy of complete blood cell countNatali Bauer
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Clinical Pathology and Clinical Pathophysiology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Frankfurterstr 129, 35392 Giessen, Germany Natali
J Vet Diagn Invest 23:1168-80. 2011The automated laser-based hematology analyzer Sysmex XT-2000iV™ providing a complete blood cell count (CBC) and 5-part differential has been introduced in large veterinary laboratories...
- How to interpret and pursue an abnormal complete blood cell count in adultsAyalew Tefferi
Department of Internal Medicine and Division of Hematology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:923-36. 2005A complete blood cell count (CBC) is one of the most common laboratory tests in medicine. For example, at our institution alone, approximately 1800 CBCs are ordered every day, and 10% to 20% of results are reported as abnormal...
- Evaluation of the impedance analyzer PocH-100iV Diff for analysis of canine and feline bloodNatali B Bauer
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Clinical Pathology and Clinical Pathophysiology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Vet Clin Pathol 41:194-206. 2012..An automated impedance-based in-house hematology analyzer, the PocH-100iV Diff, which provides a 3-part leukocyte differential count that includes eosinophils, recently has been introduced...
- Quality specification in haematology: the automated blood cell countMauro Buttarello
Servizio di Medicina di Laboratorio, Azienda Ospedaliera, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128, Padova, Italy
Clin Chim Acta 346:45-54. 2004..Quality specifications for automated blood cell counts include topics that go beyond the traditional analytic stage (imprecision, inaccuracy, quality control) and extend to pre- and post-analytic phases...
- Comparison of performance characteristics between first- and third-generation hematology systemsP W Barnes
Clinical Hematology, Department of Laboratories, Barnes Jewish Hospital, One Barnes Jewish Plaza, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Lab Hematol 11:298-301. 2005..The improvements in overall operating costs (> dollar 195,000) were also maintained. Payback was not considered since this was a replacement of our previous system, which had already eliminated more than 6 FTEs...
- Comparative clinical study of canine and feline total blood cell count results with seven in-clinic and two commercial laboratory hematology analyzersMartina Becker
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Clinical Pathology, and Clinical Pathophysiology, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Germany
Vet Clin Pathol 37:373-84. 2008..While in the past newer technologies for CBC analysis were limited to large clinical pathology laboratories, several smaller and affordable automated hematology analyzers have been developed for in-clinic use...
- Acute leukemia with promyelocytic features in PML/RARalpha transgenic miceL Z He
Department of Human Genetics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology Programs, Sloan Kettering Institute, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:5302-7. 1997..Our results are conclusive in vivo evidence that PML/RARalpha plays a crucial role in the pathogenesis of APL...
- Enhancement of hematopoietic stem cell repopulating capacity and self-renewal in the absence of the transcription factor C/EBP alphaPu Zhang
Harvard Institutes of Medicine, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunity 21:853-63. 2004..Therefore, C/EBP alpha is not only essential for granulocyte development but, in addition, is a regulator of hematopoietic stem cell activity...
- Hematological reference ranges in black very low birth weight infantsV P Stancheva
Department of Haematology and Molecular Medicine, South African Institute for Medical Research and University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 19:91-4. 2002..The hematological parameters observed in black very low birth weight neonates are similar to previously published reference ranges, except that lower limits of normal were observed for hemoglobin and the red cell indices...
- Examination of peripheral blood films using automated microscopy; evaluation of Diffmaster Octavia and Cellavision DM96H Ceelie
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Albert Schweitzer Ziekenhuis, Dordrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Pathol 60:72-9. 2007..These computerised systems provide an automated morphological analysis of peripheral blood films, including a preclassification of both red and white cells (RBCs and WBCs, respectively)...
- Complete blood cell count as a surrogate CD4 cell marker for HIV monitoring in resource-limited settingsRay Y Chen
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:525-30. 2007..We developed a more effective method based on a decision tree algorithm to classify subjects...
- Effect of abrupt weaning at housing on leukocyte distribution, functional activity of neutrophils, and acute phase protein response of beef calvesE M Lynch
Animal and Bioscience Research Department, Animal and Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Teagasc, Grange, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
BMC Vet Res 6:39. 2010....
- Measurement of haemoglobin as a screening test in general practiceS M Lewis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Haematology Technology, Department of Haematology, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London W12 0NN, UK
J Med Screen 11:103-5. 2004..To assess the validity of using the measurement of haemoglobin as a primary screen test at point-of-care in general practice...
- Acute effects of fine particles on cardiovascular system: differences between the spontaneously hypertensive rats and wistar kyoto ratsJinzhuo Zhao
Department of Environment Health, School of Public Health, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Toxicol Lett 193:50-60. 2010..Different response between SHR and WKY rats after exposed to fine particles indicated that SHR was more susceptible than WKY rats to acute cardiac impairments from fine particle exposure...
- Peripheral-blood dendritic cells in men with coronary heart diseaseHongyu Shi
Shanghai Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Am J Cardiol 100:593-7. 2007..01). In conclusion, total peripheral-blood DCs are significantly higher in patients with CAD because of an increase in mDC subset, which might contribute to enhanced Th1 response in patients with CAD...
- Mechanisms of HDAC inhibitor-induced thrombocytopeniaHideaki Matsuoka
Pharmacology Research Laboratories, Astellas Pharma Inc, 2 1 6 Kashima, Yodogawa ku, Osaka 532 8514, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 571:88-96. 2007..Our findings may help our understanding of the molecular mechanism of HDAC inhibitor-mediated GATA-1 transcriptional repression and to reduce the risk of HDAC inhibitor-induced thrombocytopenia...
- Immunohematological reference ranges for adults from the Central African RepublicDidier Menard
Institut Pasteur de Bangui, Bangui, Central African Republic
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10:443-5. 2003..Thus, the CD4/CD8 T-cell ratios for healthy adults from the CAR are significantly reduced compared to the ratios for healthy Europeans...
- Relationships between blood rheology and age, body mass index, blood cell count, fibrinogen, and lipids in healthy subjectsKoji Seki
Department of Clinical Laboratory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 34:401-10. 2006..9+/-11.3 years) were participated in this study. Body weight, body mass index, red blood cell count, hematocrit, hemoglobin, white blood cell count, and platelet count, plasma fibrinogen, and fasting serum ..
- Which observations from the complete blood cell count predict mortality for hospitalized patients?Abel N Kho
Regenstrief Institute, Inc
J Hosp Med 2:5-12. 2007..Information on the prognostic utility of the admission complete blood count (CBC) and differential count is lacking...
- Short telomeres, even in the presence of telomerase, limit tissue renewal capacityLing Yang Hao
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 123:1121-31. 2005..We propose that short telomeres in mice that have normal telomerase levels can cause an occult form of genetic disease...
- Full blood count and haemozoin-containing leukocytes in children with malaria: diagnostic value and association with disease severityThomas Hanscheid
Medical Research Unit, Albert Schweitzer Hospital, Lambarene, Gabon
Malar J 7:109. 2008..Diligent and correct laboratory diagnosis and up-front identification of risk factors for progression to severe disease are the basis for optimal management of malaria...
- The effect of road and sea transport on inflammatory, adrenocortical, metabolic and behavioural responses of weanling heifersBernadette Earley
Animal and Bioscience Research Department, Animal and Grassland Research and Innovation Centre, Teagasc, Grange, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
BMC Vet Res 6:36. 2010..The objective was to investigate the effect of transport on inflammatory, adrenocortical, metabolic and behavioural responses of weanling heifers transported from Ireland to Spain...
- Performance evaluation of the Sysmex XS-1000i automated haematology analyserT Ghys
Clinical Laboratory Middelheim, AZ Middelheim, Lindendreef 1, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Int J Lab Hematol 31:560-6. 2009..In conclusion, the Sysmex XS-1000i demonstrated good analytical performance, is able to generate a complete blood count with five-part differential on low blood volumes and has considerable back-up capacity...
- Optimizing outcomes in damage control resuscitation: identifying blood product ratios associated with improved survivalOliver L Gunter
Department of General Surgery, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Trauma 65:527-34. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether suggested blood product ratios yield superior survival rates...
- Pathophysiological principles underlying the blood cell concentration responses used to assess the severity of effect after accidental whole-body radiation exposure: an essential basis for an evidence-based clinical triageTheodor M Fliedner
Radiation Medicine Research Group, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Exp Hematol 35:8-16. 2007....
- Validation of the Coulter LH 750 in a hospital reference laboratoryC Aulesa
Laboratories Unit, Valle de Hebron Hospital Complex, Barcelona, Spain
Lab Hematol 9:15-28. 2003..In conclusion, we analyzed the impact and improvements that may be expected in our laboratory (a user of Technicon and Coulter instruments) from introducing the new LH 750 analyzer into our routine...
- Performance evaluation of the latest fully automated hematology analyzers in a large, commercial laboratory setting: a 4-way, side-by-side studyG Bourner
Gamma Dynacare, Gamma Dynacare Medical Laboratories, 115 Midair Court Brampton, Ontario L6T 5M3, Canada
Lab Hematol 11:285-97. 2005..Our 4-way evaluation resulted in selection of the Beckman Coulter LH 750 for Gamma-Dynacare Laboratories because it enabled the lowest slide review rate and handled aged samples better than the other analyzers...
- Usefulness of cell counter-based parameters and formulas in detection of beta-thalassemia trait in areas of high prevalenceDinesh A Rathod
Departments of Pathology, Smt NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad, India
Am J Clin Pathol 128:585-9. 2007..We found that the Shine and Lal, Srivastava, and Mentzler indexes, MCV, and MCH have better discriminative function than the RBC count and red cell distribution width and their related formulas...
- Reduced number of circulating endothelial progenitor cells in hypogonadal menC Foresta
Department of Histology, Microbiology, and Medical Biotechnologies, Centre for Male Gamete Cryopreservation, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4599-602. 2006..Even though there is increasing evidence that estrogens play a beneficial role on EPCs and, even if debated, on the cardiovascular system, less is known about androgens...
- Automated malaria diagnosis using pigment detectionT Hanscheid
Laboratorio de Bacteriologia, Piso 4, Patologia Clinica, Hospital de Santa Maria, P 1600, Lisboa, Portugal
Parasitol Today 16:549-51. 2000..Thomas Hänscheid, Emilia Valadas and Martin Grobusch here describe this novel technique for malaria diagnosis and discuss its potential applications...
- The international consensus group for hematology review: suggested criteria for action following automated CBC and WBC differential analysisP W Barnes
Clinical Hematology, Department of Laboratories, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Lab Hematol 11:83-90. 2005..To facilitate validating these rules in individual laboratories before implementation in routine operation for patient samples, a suggested protocol is attached to this paper...
- Evaluation of the ruminant complete blood cell countMeredyth L Jones
Department of Clinical Sciences, 111B Mosier Hall, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 23:377-402, v. 2007The complete blood cell count can provide valuable diagnostic and prognostic information when coupled with a thorough physical examination...
- Patients with myelodysplastic syndromes benefit from palliative therapy with amifostine, pentoxifylline, and ciprofloxacin with or without dexamethasoneA Raza
Rush Cancer Institute and the Departments of Pathology and Biostatistics, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612 3515, USA
Blood 95:1580-7. 2000..Blood. 2000;95:1580-1587)..
- Effects of road transportation on lymphocyte subsets in calvesFulvio Riondato
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Universita di Torino, Grugliasco TO, Italy
Vet J 175:364-8. 2008..NK cell expansion, together with increasing lymphocyte count and increasing major histocompatibility complex class II expression, may indicate stress-induced stimulation of the immune system...
- Soluble TNF receptor fusion protein (etanercept) for the treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome: a pilot studyH J Deeg
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Leukemia 16:162-4. 2002..Thus, etanercept treatment resulted in moderate improvements of cytopenias in some patients, while cell counts declined in others. Additional trials are needed to evaluate its clinical efficacy in MDS...
- Hematologic values in healthy and small for gestational age newbornsM Maconi
Clinical Pathology Department, AO Arcispedale Santa Maria Nuova, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Lab Hematol 11:152-6. 2005..These findings further support the fact that preterm SGA infants are truly growth restricted, whereas term SGA infants are most likely small but otherwise healthy babies...
- Short- and long-term haematological surveillance of healthy donors of allogeneic peripheral haematopoietic progenitors mobilized with G-CSF: a single institution prospective studyC Tassi
Transfusion Medicine Service, Sant Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 36:289-94. 2005..14 donors showed persistent, slight lymphocytopenia (mean drop of 13%) until the third year, with recovery in the fourth year of follow-up...
- Effects of diesel exhaust enriched concentrated PM2.5 in ozone preexposed or monocrotaline-treated ratsF R Cassee
National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, NL 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Inhal Toxicol 14:721-43. 2002..In addition, CDP has the potential to induce changes in blood. It has not yet been determined how the effects seen with CDP would compare to similar levels of ambient particles...
- Detection of imported malaria with the Cell-Dyn 4000 hematology analyzerPeter C Wever
Section of Parasitology, Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 40:4729-31. 2002..5%. Attention to these abnormalities in medical centers without tropical disease expertise may decrease a delay in the diagnosis of malaria...
- Laboratory productivity and the rate of manual peripheral blood smear review: a College of American Pathologists Q-Probes study of 95,141 complete blood count determinations performed in 263 institutionsDavid A Novis
Department of Pathology, Wentworth Douglass Hospital, Dover, NH, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:596-601. 2006..The frequency with which hematology laboratory workers perform manual screens despite the availability of labor-saving features of automated analyzers is unknown...
- Endothelin levels in Henoch-Schonlein purpuraAli Muslu
Ondokuz Mayis University, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 55139 Samsun, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 17:920-5. 2002..There was no correlation between ET-1 levels and disease severity, acute phase reactant response, or morbidity. The role of endothelins and other cytokines in the pathogenesis of HSP needs to be further explored...
- Effect of 12-hour road transportation on physiological, immunological and haematological parameters in bulls housed at different space allowancesS Gupta
Teagasc, Grange Research Centre, Dunsany, Co Meath, Ireland
Vet J 173:605-16. 2007..Furthermore, transport of bulls housed at increased space allowance (4.2m(2)/bull) resulted in a greater plasma cortisol response, albeit still within normal physiological range...
- Changes in automated complete blood cell count and differential leukocyte count results induced by storage of blood at room temperatureGene L Gulati
Department of Pathology, Anatomy, and Cell Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 126:336-42. 2002To delineate changes that occur in various parameters of automated complete blood cell count (CBC) and differential leukocyte count (differential) on prolonged storage of blood at room temperature.
- Analysis of factors associated with low peripheral blood progenitor cell collection in normal donorsJavier de la Rubia
Hematology Service, Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Transfusion 42:4-9. 2002..Predictive factors of the response to rHuG-CSF in normal donors have not been extensively studied...
- Donor demographic and laboratory predictors of allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell mobilization in an ethnically diverse populationSumithira Vasu
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 112:2092-100. 2008..Age, white ethnicity, and female gender were associated with significantly lower post-G-CSF CD34(+) cell counts...
- Sensitivity of laser light depolarization analysis for detection of malaria in blood samplesManuel Martínez Padial
Laboratory of Microbiology and Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
J Med Microbiol 54:449-52. 2005....
- Peripheral blood circulating immature cell counts predict CD34+ cell yields in G-CSF-induced PBPC mobilization in healthy donorsTeruhiko Kozuka
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Blood Transfusion, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Transfusion 44:526-32. 2004..The correlation of CIC counts in PB with CD34+ cell yield and its usefulness was evaluated in G-CSF-induced PBPC mobilization for healthy donors...
- Differential counting of blood leukocytes using automated microscopy and a decision support system based on artificial neural networks--evaluation of DiffMaster OctaviaB Swolin
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Transfusion Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg University, Sweden
Clin Lab Haematol 25:139-47. 2003..In conclusion this study shows that the DiffMaster can provide a decision support system which, together with a qualified morphologist, can generate leukocyte differential count reports of high quality...
- Exposure of mice to concentrated ambient particulate matter results in platelet and systemic cytokine activationD W Wilson
Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, University of California Davis, Davis, California 95616, USA
Inhal Toxicol 22:267-76. 2010....
- Haemocyte changes in D. Melanogaster in response to long gland components of the parasitoid wasp Leptopilina boulardi: a Rho-GAP protein as an important factorC Labrosse
Institut de Recherche sur la Biologie de l Insecte UMR CNRS 6035, Université F Rabelais, Parc Grandmont, 37 200 Tours, France
J Insect Physiol 51:161-70. 2005..The implication of the P4 protein in suppressing the host cellular immunity is discussed in correlation with its predicted molecular function as a Rho-GAP protein...
- The effect of repeated acute mental stress on habituation and recovery responses in hemoconcentration and blood cells in healthy menKatharina Mischler
Institute for Behavioral Sciences, Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Life Sci 77:1166-79. 2005..Plasma volume shift accompanying stress affects the time course of stress polycytosis...
- Changes in hematology, biochemical values, and restraint ECG of rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) following 6-month laboratory acclimationMasatoshi Hassimoto
Toxicology Laboratory, Research Center, Mochida Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Shizuoka, Japan
J Med Primatol 33:175-86. 2004..Current results show that an acclimation period at least 3 months may be necessary prior to using rhesus monkeys for chronic studies...
- Four week feeding toxicity study with phenylphosphinic acid in ratsE Maria Donner
DuPont Haskell Laboratory for Health and Environmental Sciences, Newark, Delaware 19714 0050, USA
Drug Chem Toxicol 26:125-33. 2003..Parameters measured were clinical signs, growth, neurobehavior, ophthalmology, and clinical and anatomical pathology. Phenylphosphinic acid is very low in toxicity following 31 days of feeding to the rat...
- Up-and-down procedure (UDP) determinations of acute oral toxicity of nitroso degradation products of hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-1,3,5-triazine (RDX)Sharon A Meyer
Department of Toxicology, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, LA 71209, USA
J Appl Toxicol 25:427-34. 2005....
- Hematological parameters and anaerobic threshold in Brazilian soccer players throughout a training programA S R Silva
Department of Physical Education, Bioscience Institute, University of Sao Paulo State Unesp, Rio Claro, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Lab Hematol 30:158-66. 2008..Furthermore, we did not observe any correlation between the anaerobic threshold and the hematological parameters...
- Sensitivity of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) to dietary endosulfan as assessed by haematology, blood biochemistry, and growth parametersDietrich Petri
National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research, Postbox 2029 Nordnes, 5817 Bergen, Norway
Aquat Toxicol 80:207-16. 2006..The present study shows that with regards to acute toxicity, Atlantic salmon are able to tolerate dietary technical endosulfan levels up to 500 microg kg(-1)...
- Effects of dietary benzo[a]pyrene on growth and hematological parameters in juvenile rockfish, Sebastes schlegeli (Hilgendorf)Seong Gil Kim
Marine Environmental Management Team, National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Busan 619 902, South Korea
Bull Environ Contam Toxicol 81:470-4. 2008..Over 30 days, serum AST increased at a B[a]P concentration of 1.5 mg/kg and LDH increased at a B[a]P concentration of 1.0 mg/kg concentration. However, no changes were observed in ALT, total protein, magnesium or calcium...
- Decreased hemoglobin levels are associated with higher plasma level of fibrinogen, irrespective of ageLudovico Coppola
Department of Geriatrics and Metabolic Diseases, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Am J Med Sci 333:154-60. 2007..We aimed at verifying whether the changes of fibrinogen levels are associated with red blood cell (and/or hemoglobin) concentration...
- Blood biochemical and ruminal liquor profile in buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) showing omasal impactionS Turkar
Division of Veterinary Medicine, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, 243 122, India
Vet Res Commun 31:967-75. 2007..The ruminal liquor of the diseased buffaloes revealed characteristic physical, chemical and microbial changes and had significantly higher methylene blue reduction time and ammonia-nitrogen level...
- Changes in hemopoietic precursors after treatment of low-risk myelodysplasia with amifostineElisangela Ribeiro
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, State University of Campinas, Brazil
In Vivo 17:181-4. 2003..Clinical studies have shown that amifostine (AMF) improves peripheral cytopenias in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS). We studied the expression of Fas/FasL on CD34+ cells in low risk MDS and its change after AMF treatment...
- [Establishing the reference range of venous blood measured by automated haematology analyzer in Chinese adults]Yu Long Cong
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 83:1201-5. 2003..To establish the reference range of venous blood measured by automated hematology analyzer in China...
- Royal jelly supplementation improves lipoprotein metabolism in humansHang Guo
R and D Center, Nippon Meat Packers, Inc, Ibaraki, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:345-8. 2007..Among the lipoprotein fractions, small very-low-density lipoprotein was decreased (p<0.05) after RJ intake. Our results suggest that dietary RJ decreases TC and LDL by lowering small VLDL levels...
- Effects of training and strenuous exercise on hematologic values and peripheral blood leukocyte subsets in racing sled dogsMichael S Davis
Comparative Exercise Physiology Laboratory, 264 McElroy Hall, Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:873-8. 2008..To determine the effects of training and sustained submaximal exercise on hematologic values in racing sled dogs...
- Normal haematology and blood biochemistry of wild Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) in the Okavango Delta, BotswanaC J Lovely
Gobabis Veterinary Practise, PO Box 1424, Gobabis, Namibia
J S Afr Vet Assoc 78:137-44. 2007..The values reported here will be useful in diagnostic investigations in both zoo and farmed Nile crocodiles...
- Some clinico-pathological changes associated with the aqueous extract of the leaves of Phyllanthus amarus in ratsA A Adedapo
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Phytother Res 19:971-6. 2005..A reduction in the weight of the experimental animals was also noted in this study. It thus shows that Phyllanthus amarus has potential toxic properties...
- Reduction in hematocrit and hemoglobin following pioglitazone treatment is not hemodilutional in Type II diabetes mellitusR Berria
Division of Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 82:275-81. 2007..02) counts was seen after PIO. In conclusion, the small decreases in Hb/Hct observed after 16 weeks of PIO treatment cannot be explained by an increase in TBW. Other causes, such a mild marrow suppressive effect, should be explored...
- Influence of porcine coat colour genotypes on haematological parameters, piglet birth weight and body weight gain until weaningL Fesus
Research Institute for Animal Breeding and Nutrition, Herceghalom, Hungary
J Anim Breed Genet 122:127-30. 2005..Ellegren, L. Marklund, U. Gustavsson, E. Ringmar-Cederberg, K. Andersson, I. Edfors-Lilja and L. Andersson [(1992) Genomics, 14, 965] that the pleiotrophic effect of the porcine KIT mutations on haematopoietic cells must be mild...
- Using haematological parameters to infer the health and nutritional status of an endangered black-necked swan populationPaulina Artacho
Instituto de Ecologia y Evolucion, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Austral de Chile, Chile
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:1060-6. 2007..reduced 30%, which was followed by significant reductions of haemoglobin concentration, haematocrit and red blood cell count. Mean cell volume and mean cell haemoglobin concentration did not change with time, whereas there was a ..
- Effects of methanol extracts of Caesalpinia bonducella and Bauhinia racemosa on hematology and hepatorenal function in miceRamanathan Sambath Kumar
Division of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
J Toxicol Sci 30:265-74. 2005..Our results suggested that MECB and MEBR at doses 100 and 200 mg/kg body weight did not induce any toxic effects in the mice. Adverse effect was noted at the dose of 400 mg/kg body weight...
- Biochemical and hematologic values for 18 clinically healthy radiated tortoises (Geochelone radiata) on St Catherines Island, GeorgiaJulia Zaias
University of Miami, Department of Pathology, Division of Comparative Pathology and Avian and Wildlife Diagnostic Laboratory, Miami, FL, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 35:321-5. 2006..Captive breeding programs have generated data on the breeding behavior and ecology of G radiata; however, hematologic and biochemical data also are critically important in managing populations...
- Immunotoxicity of sodium bromate in female B6C3F1 mice: a 28-day drinking water studyT L Guo
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, PO Box 980613, Richmond, VA 23298-0613, USA
Drug Chem Toxicol 24:129-49. 2001..In conclusion, SB, when administered in the drinking water at doses from 80 mg/l to 800 mg/l, produced minimal toxicological and immunotoxic effects in female B6C3F1 mice...
- Hematologic and plasma biochemical analysis of juvenile head-started northern red-bellied cooters (Pseudemys rubriventris)Charles J Innis
New England Aquarium, Central Wharf, Boston, Massachusetts 02110, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:425-32. 2007..Basophils were the most numerous type of leucocyte. Results for some values varied significantly between institutions, possibly due to unrecognized differences in husbandry at each facility...
- Haematological characterization of loach Misgurnus anguillicaudatus: comparison among diploid, triploid and tetraploid specimensZexia Gao
College of Fishery, Key Lab of Agricultural Animal Genetics, Breeding and Reproduction of Ministry of Education, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, Hubei, 430070, PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 147:1001-8. 2007..Overall, loach with higher ploidy levels showed evidence of some advantages in haematological characteristics...
- Clinical impact of a new automated system employed for peripheral blood stem cell collectionClaudia Del Fante
Immunohaematology and Transfusion Service, Center for Transplant Immunology, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Clin Apher 21:227-32. 2006..Moreover, the ability to predict the CD34(+) cell yield permits improved management of the leukapheresis collection, with the only disadvantage of larger leukapheresis volume and higher hematocrit...
- Pluripotent and myeloid-committed CD34+ subsets in hematopoietic stem cell allograftsK Theilgaard-Monch
Department of Hematology, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Bone Marrow Transplant 32:1125-33. 2003..Finally, this study reports a new gating strategy for the enumeration of pluripotent CD34(+)CD38(-) subsets...
- Murine side population cells contain cobblestone area-forming cell activity in mobilized bloodKalindi Parmar
Department of Radiation Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Stem Cells Dev 14:452-61. 2005..This model offers a means to study the mechanisms of mobilization of primitive stem cells directly in a murine model...
- Optimising parameters for peripheral blood leukapheresis after r-metHuG-CSF (filgrastim) and r-metHuSCF (ancestim) in patients with multiple myeloma: a temporal analysis of CD34(+) absolute counts and subsetsI H Chin-Yee
London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON, Canada
Bone Marrow Transplant 30:851-60. 2002..5%) and three (37.5%) achieved the target dose with two leukaphereses. Use of this mobilization strategy allowed the collection of high numbers of CD34(+) cells and early progenitors and the ability to predictably schedule leukapheresis...
- Maternal plasma or human serum albumin in wash buffer enhances enrichment and ex vivo expansion of human umbilical cord blood CD34+ cellsYvonne K Kwok
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Br J Haematol 137:468-74. 2007..No statistical significance was found between using HSA and maternal plasma on total cell and CD34+ cell expansion. We propose that HSA in maternal plasma was responsible for the positive effect on CD34+ cell enrichment and expansion...
- Identification and Significance of Biologic Mediators in Red Cell ConcentratesRichard P Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2012..Laboratory measures include CD40 ligand, C-reactive protein, D-dimer, blood cell count and differential...
- The role of CD8+ T cells in response to EBV-induced infectious mononucleosisOludare A Odumade; Fiscal Year: 2010..Diagnostic blood smears show abnormal circulating cytotoxic T cells and an elevated white blood cell count. The link between cancer and Epstein Barr viral genes has been well studied but yet little is known about ..
- Treatment with KZ-41 and OTP promotes wound healing in a radiation combined injurMOSTAFA GABER; Fiscal Year: 2009..has potent vascular anti-inflammatory effects, promotes vascular recovery from injury, and increases white blood cell count, making it an excellent candidate as a potential agent that facilitate tissue recovery and wound repair...
- Treatment with KZ-41 and OTP promotes wound healing in a radiation combined injurDuane D Miller; Fiscal Year: 2012..has potent vascular anti-inflammatory effects, promotes vascular recovery from injury, and increases white blood cell count, making it an excellent candidate as a potential agent that facilitate tissue recovery and wound repair...
- Enhancing Use of Hydroxyurea In Sickle Cell Disease Using Patient NavigatorsWally R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..a clinical endpoint, or maximum dose;ED and hospital visits;mean corpuscular volume;total hemoglobin;white blood cell count;reticulocyte count;and quality of life...
- A Microfluidic Bone Marrow Niche for the Study of HematopoiesisYing Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..both healthy and diseased states, but could also revolutionize preclinical testing for therapies to increase blood cell count in diseases where they are low, either because of the disease itself or its therapy...
- STAT Palm-Sized Blood CounterEUGENE YAN HO CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..For instance, a rapidly rising white blood cell count may occur during infections or leukemic blast crises...
- STAT Palm-Sized Blood CounterEUGENE YAN HO CHAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..For instance, a rapidly rising white blood cell count may occur during infections or a leukemic blast crises...
- Proof-of-Concept for Card-Based CD4 Cell CountingHAROLD EDWARD AYLIFFE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The integrated system will perform a total white blood cell count, absolute CD4+ T cell count, and percent CD4 count using a new volumetric combination electric impedance/..
- ProACT Planning GrantDAVID TOM HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..has superior performance for detection of bacterial infection compared to traditional markers such as white blood cell count. Initial European trials testing the ability of procalcitonin to improve antibiotic prescription practices ..
- SIS multicenter study of duration of antibiotics for intraabdominal infectionRobert G Sawyer; Fiscal Year: 2011..four days of antibiotic therapy to antibiotic therapy terminated one day after normalization of white blood cell count (= 11,000/ul) and normalization of systemic temperature (<38...
- Procalcitonin Antibiotic Consensus Trial (ProACT)DAVID TOM HUANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..has superior performance for detection of bacterial infection compared to traditional markers such as white blood cell count. We propose ProACT (Procalcitonin Antibiotic Consensus Trial), a 1514 subject, eight site, randomized trial ..
- ENDODONTIC TREATMENT FOR PERSONS WHO ARE HIV POSITIVEDavid Rosenstein; Fiscal Year: 2001..Pretreatment blood samples will be analyzed for CD4 and CD8 cell counts, white blood cell count with differential, p24 antigen level, beta-2 microglobulin level, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate...
- A New Preparation and Analysis System for the CBCJames W Winkelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..provide all the conventional components of the Complete Blood Count (CBC) as well as a differential white blood cell count. An assessment of red blood cell and platelet morphology should also be feasible...
- DEVELOPMENT OF AN ULTRASONIC HEMATOCRIT DEVICEFRANCIS COREY; Fiscal Year: 1999Develop a portable. rugged device that will measure hematocrit, mean corpuscular volume, and red blood cell count within +-2o% through the use of a novel technique based on measuring the ultrasonic energy back scattered from a blood ..
- IMMUNE FUNCTION IN CHILDRENSybil Crawford; Fiscal Year: 2000..Assessment of immune function will include determination of total white blood cell count, distribution of T-cells and subsets, B-cells,a nd monocytes, functional analyses of T-cells and B-cells, and ..
- GENETIC MODIFIERS OF SEVERITY IN SICKLE CELL ANEMIAOrah Platt; Fiscal Year: 2005..this proposal we focus on one of the key risk factors for severity identified by the CSSCD - baseline white blood cell count (baseline WBC)...
- A Simple Point Of Care White Blood Cell Count TestWAI LAW; Fiscal Year: 2005..In Phase II, we propose to scale-up the device, develop a palm-size reader, thoroughly test the assay system, and prepare for a clinical trial in Phase IIl . ..
- A Simple Point Of Care White Blood Cell Count TestWAI LAW; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose developing a simple device that will assay WBC in whole blood and will be as accurate as commercial cell counting instruments. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: NOT AVAILABLE ..
- A New Preparation and Analysis System for the CBCJAMES WINKELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..provide all the conventional components of the Complete Blood Count (CBC) as well as a differential white blood cell count. An assessment of red blood cell and platelet morphology should also be feasible...
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PHI-443: Novel Non-Spermicidal Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of PHI-443 in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- Vanadocenes as a New Class of Spermicidal DrugsOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stampidine: A Novel Broad-Spectrum Anti-HIV MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific Aims 1 and 2 may provide the foundation for the clinical development of STAMP in Phase II studies as a safe, effective broad-spectrum anti-HIV microbicide without conception-inhibiting functions. ..
- NOVEL CONTRACEPTIVES WITH ANTI-HIV ACTIVITYOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2001..The preclinical data on in vivo efficacies of WHI-05 and WHI-07 will be essential to further explore the utility of these novel drugs for clinical studies in human patients. ..
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- FLP-102: Rationally Engineered Antiviral ProteinOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The preclinical data on FLP-102 will be essential to further explore the utility of this novel recombinant PAP mutant for Phase II. ..
- PHI 346: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..Following successful completion of the Phase I in vivo efficacy studies, gel formulation of PHI-346 will be further explored as a vaginal dual-function microbicide in Phase II. ..
- CBL FUNCTION IN CELLULAR SIGNALING AND TRANSFORMATIONBrian Druker; Fiscal Year: 2003..Through these studies the investigators should gain a greater understanding of the contribution of tyrosine phosphorylation of Cbl to its function and the role of Cbl in myeloid transformation. ..
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- CHRONIC MYELOGENOUS LEUKEMIA AND BCR-ABL SUBSTRATESBrian Druker; Fiscal Year: 2009..Combined, these data should offer significant insights into the biology of and the mechanism of transformation by Bcr-Abl. ..
- Levels of Inflammatory Markers in Treatment of StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammation and Ovarian CancerClareann Bunker; Fiscal Year: 2008..In particular, NSAID use may prove to be a potentially important chemopreventative for this often-fatal disease. ..
- Inflammatory and Infectious Burden and Risk of StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2008..The cross-sectional associations between inflammatory and infectious markers and quantitative MRI abnormalities will also be assessed. ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..
- Cancer and KinasesBrian Druker; Fiscal Year: 2005..By facilitating the development of these drugs, we hope to improve the outcome for patients with cancer as rapidly as possible. ..
- Inflammation and Infection as Risk Factors in StrokeMitchell Elkind; Fiscal Year: 2006..pneumoniae) is associated with stroke risk, and that elevated white blood cell count and soluble tumor necrosis factor receptor levels are associated with carotid atherosclerosis...
- Iron Status: A Pathway Analysis in Multiple EthnicitiesChristine McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2009..Potential study results could be used to identify individuals at risk for iron deficiency and to develop innovative prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS OF HELICOBACTER PYLORI GASTRITISCiaran Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identifying H.pylori virulence factors which modulate host immune and inflammatory responses and determining their mechanisms of action are key to targeting new management strategies for this highly prevalent pathogen. ..
- TOBACCO EXPOSURE REDUCTIONDorothy Hatsukami; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of research from this TTURC will provide the scientific basis for urgent policy, public education, and regulatory efforts to reduce tobacco harm. ..
- Anti-VEGF in Tumors & Wounds: Efficacy vs ToxicityHerbert I Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work has the potential to improve both the safety and efficacy of this novel class of drugs. I;' ..
- First Int'l Symposium on Childhood and Adolescent NHLMitchell Cairo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MECHANISMS OF LEUKOCYTE RECRUITMENT IN IBDCiaran Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2005..An in-depth, mechanistic understanding of the regulation of ENA-78 gene expression in human enterocytes may lead to novel therapeutic approaches to IBD. ..
- Baltimore VIRAHEP-C Clinical CenterCharles Howell; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies may provide important new insights into the pathogenesis of HCV and lead to novel therapies for chronic HCV. ..
- NIEMANN-PICK DISEASEMelissa Wasserstein; Fiscal Year: 2005..In sum, these studies should provide important diagnostic and therapeutic information to improve the outcome of patients diagnosed with NPD. ..
- CYTOKINE CONJUGATES FOR TREATING THROMBOCYTOPENIAGeorge Cox; Fiscal Year: 2003..These proteins will find utility in treating thrombocytopenia resulting from cancer chemotherapy. ..
- NEW CLINICAL BIOMARKER FOR CANCER--WOUND ANGIOGENESISHerbert Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2005..4) To evaluate several potential refinements of this normal wound angiogenesis assay in healthy volunteers, and incorporate these refinements in to patient studies involving novel anti-angiogenesis agents. ..
- B CLL Subtypes--Correlation with Clinical OutcomeNeil Kay; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CYTOKINE MEDIATED DIFFERENTIATION THERAPYB Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Energy Balance, Organochlorine Exposure, and Possible Toxicologic EffectsAnneclaire De Roos; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FACSAria Flow CytometerDoris Tse; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will potentiate the development or improvement of medical procedures towards their prevention and treatment. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENE EXPRESSION BY HUMAN GRANULOCYTIC EHRLICHIOSIS AGYasuko Rikihisa; Fiscal Year: 2004..These efforts are expected to reveal an important role for the p44-multigene family in strategies of adaptive surface variation and avoidance of host immune responses. ..
- HIV PREVENTION TRIALS UNIT - MALAWITaha Taha; Fiscal Year: 2006..We intend to continue these studies and to expand to additional sites. ..
- Engineered Hematopoietic Cell Self-renewal and DeathLarry Lasky; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition to marrow replacement, the cells may be usable for the production of other cells and tissues, especially given recent discoveries regarding stem cell plasticity. ..
- Epo as a Rescue Agent for Perinatal Hypoxia-IschemiaSandra Juul; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Immune Response to Clostridium difficileCiaran Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2008..These specific aims are designed to advance further our knowledge of the immunobiology of C. difficile toxin-induced diarrhea and the mechanisms of immune protection in humans. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biomarkers of Formaldehyde Exposure and ToxicityLuoping Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..The data produced from these studies will be useful to public health agencies in their evaluation of the leukemia risk presented by formaldehyde. ..
- PTHrP on normal osteoblast differentiation and functionRAMIRO TORIBIO; Fiscal Year: 2008..Dr. Thomas Rosol's laboratory will provide an excellent environment for developing the skills necessary to become a successful independent researcher. ..
- Sleep-disordered breathing, sleep stages, and heart rate variability in childrenDuanping Liao; Fiscal Year: 2008..The knowledge gained from this study can potentially improve the management and treatment of childhood SDB. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Long-Acting IFN-gamma for Treating Ovarian CancerGeorge Cox; Fiscal Year: 2005..Information gained from these studies will aid in creating long-acting versions of other members of this gene family for use in treating cancer, infectious disease and hematopoietic disorders. ..
- Assessing Circulating Progenitor Cells in Heart DiseaseThomas Povsic; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will look at two methods of measuring these stem cells in the blood of heart patients. These methods may someday be used to predict who will or will not develop heart disease or other complications. ..
- METHODS IN COMPLEMENTARY/ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE & HIV/AIDSLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Center is seeking funding to complete analysis of both the AMCOA and Bastyr-Johns Hopkins MACS studies. ..
- Embryonic Stem Cell Therapy for Lung DisordersCarolyn Lutzko; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal of these studies is to further our understanding of the biology of human embryonic stem cells, and their potential to serve as vehicles for therapeutic cell delivery to the respiratory epithelium. ..
- North American Naturopathic Medical Research ConsortiumLeanna Standish; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- VIRUS PHOTOINACTIVATION--DIMETHYLMETHYLENE BLUE IN RBCStephen Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..