Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diagnosis of the type and, when feasible, the cause of a pathologic process by means of microscopic study of cells in an exudate or other form of body fluid. (Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Diagnostic value of nucleolar organizer regions (AgNORs) in brush biopsies of suspicious lesions of the oral cavityTorsten W Remmerbach
Department of Oral, Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, University of Leipzig, Nürnberger Strasse 57, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Anal Cell Pathol 25:139-46. 2003..The aim of this retrospective study was to report on the diagnostic accuracy of AgNOR-analysis as an adjunctive diagnostic tool of conventional oral exfoliative cytology taken from suspicious lesions in our clinic...
- Cytomorphologic spectrum of small lymphocytic lymphoma in patients with an accelerated clinical courseHyung Ju C Shin
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Cancer 99:293-300. 2003..The objective of this study was to evaluate reliable criteria for recognizing SLL-AP and SLL in transformation that are needed to determine the appropriate clinical management of individual patients...
- Liquid-based cytology for primary cervical cancer screening: a multi-centre studyJ Monsonego
Institut Alfred Fournier, 25 boulevard Saint Jacques, Paris, 75014, France
Br J Cancer 84:360-6. 2001..041). The ThinPrep Pap Test is more accurate than the conventional Pap test and has the potential to optimize the effectiveness of primary cervical cancer screening...
- EGFR gene status in cytological samples of nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: controversies and opportunitiesGilda da Cunha Santos
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Cytopathol 119:80-91. 2011..This review aimed to present the current knowledge of the use of cytological specimens for EGFR testing in lung cancer...
- Non-bronchoscopic sampling and culture of bronchial epithelial cells in childrenG M Doherty
Department of Child Health, Queen s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Clin Exp Allergy 33:1221-5. 2003..However, it is difficult to justify bronchoscopy in children to obtain epithelial cells for research purposes...
- EGFR mutations are detected comparably in cytologic and surgical pathology specimens of nonsmall cell lung cancerJason H Smouse
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer 117:67-72. 2009..Concern over such interference has discouraged testing cytologic samples, but the adequacy of cytologic specimens for EGFR sequencing has not been studied...
- Human papillomavirus genome detection by in situ hybridization in fine-needle aspirates of metastatic lesions from head and neck squamous cell carcinomasHaldun Umudum
Department of Pathology, Etimesgut Air Force Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Cancer 105:171-7. 2005....
- Performance characteristics of anal cytology and human papillomavirus testing in patients with high-resolution anoscopy-guided biopsy of high-grade anal intraepithelial neoplasiaJ Michael Berry
Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 52:239-47. 2009..High-resolution anoscopy with biopsy was used as the standard for detecting high-grade anal neoplasia and was compared to detection of high-grade anal neoplasia by anal cytology, human papillomavirus testing, or the combination...
- Usefulness of CINtec® PLUS p16/Ki-67 double-staining in cytological screening of cervical cancerTomomi Yoshida
Department of Laboratory Sciences, Gunma University, Maebashi, Japan
Acta Cytol 55:413-20. 2011..This study evaluated the usefulness of p16(INK4a)/Ki-67 as a new biomarker in the diagnosis of human papillomavirus (HPV)-related cervical lesions...
- The use of FTA cards for preserving unfixed cytological material for high-throughput molecular analysisMauro Ajaj Saieg
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Cytopathol 120:206-14. 2012....
- p16/Ki-67 dual staining in cervico-vaginal cytology: correlation with histology, Human Papillomavirus detection and genotyping in women undergoing colposcopyMaria Gabriella Donà
STI Unit, San Gallicano Dermatological Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
Gynecol Oncol 126:198-202. 2012....
- Targeted use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) in cytospin preparations: results of 298 fine needle aspirates of B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomaGilda da Cunha Santos
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cancer Cytopathol 118:250-8. 2010....
- Evaluation of oncogenic human papillomavirus RNA and DNA tests with liquid-based cytology in primary cervical cancer screening: the FASE studyJoseph Monsonego
Institute of the Cervix, Federation Mutualiste Parisienne, Paris, France
Int J Cancer 129:691-701. 2011..AHPV assay is both specific and sensitive for the detection of high-grade precancerous lesions and may be considered as an option for routine cervical cancer screening for women over 20 years of age...
- Comparison of SurePath® and ThinPrep® liquid-based cervical cytology using positive predictive value, atypical predictive value and total predictive value as performance indicatorsP K Wright
Manchester Cytology Centre, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Cytopathology 21:374-8. 2010..The objective of this study was to compare ThinPrep® with SurePath® LBC in a single cytology laboratory using performance indicators...
- Interim guidance for the use of human papillomavirus DNA testing as an adjunct to cervical cytology for screeningThomas C Wright
Department of Pathology, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, Room 16 404 P and S Building, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 103:304-9. 2004..If test results of either are abnormal, colposcopy should then be performed. This guidance should assist clinicians in utilizing HPV DNA testing in an effective manner, while minimizing unnecessary evaluations and treatments...
- Diagnostic value, feasibility, and validity of preparing cell blocks from fluid-based gynecologic cytology specimensSedigheh Keyhani-Rofagha
Department of Pathology, Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Cancer 96:204-9. 2002..The current study was conducted to investigate the diagnostic value, feasibility, and validity of preparing cell blocks from fluid-based gynecologic cytology methods...
- Combined clinical, thyroid ultrasound and cytological features help to predict thyroid malignancy in follicular and Hupsilonrthle cell thyroid lesions: results from a series of 505 consecutive patientsT Rago
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:13-20. 2007..The diagnostic value of atypia at cytology, clinical parameters and echographic patterns were examined to establish the risk of malignancy in 505 patients with follicular and Hupsilonrthle cell thyroid nodules at cytology...
- Cytodiagnosis of fibromatosis colliS P Nayak
Cytopathology 18:266-8. 2007
- The reliability of nipple aspirate and ductal lavage in women at increased risk for breast cancer--a potential tool for breast cancer risk assessment and biomarker evaluationK Visvanathan
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:950-5. 2007..However, little is known about the reliability of the procedure...
- Monitoring a national cancer prevention program: successful changes in cervical cancer screening in the NetherlandsMatejka Rebolj
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 120:806-12. 2007..In conclusion, the 1996 changes in protocols and guidelines, and their implementation have increased coverage and efficiency, and decreased the screening-induced negative side effects...
- Fine-needle aspiration of the thyroid and correlation with histopathology in a contemporary series of 240 patientsGuido M Sclabas
Department of Surgical Oncology, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Surg 186:702-9; discussion 709-10. 2003..False-positive, false-negative, and indeterminate fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy results complicate the management of patients with thyroid nodules...
- Anal cancer and cervical cancer screening: key differencesTeresa M Darragh
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Cancer Cytopathol 119:5-19. 2011..This article provides an overview of anal cancer screening while highlighting its differences from cervical cancer screening and the remaining obstacles and controversies to implementation of a successful anal cancer screening program...
- The role of cytology (Pap tests) and human papillomavirus testing in anal cancer screeningIrving E Salit
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
AIDS 24:1307-13. 2010..To assess anal oncogenic human papillomavirus (HPV) and anal cytology as screening tests for detecting high-grade anal intraepithelial neoplasia (AIN 2+), as this is an immediate anal cancer precursor...
- Papanicolaou and thin-layer cervical cytology with colposcopic biopsy control. A comparisonC Blair Harkness
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mountain Area Health Education Center, Pathologists Medical Laboratory, PA, Asheville, North Carolina, USA
J Reprod Med 48:681-6. 2003..To compare the accuracy of conventional Papanicolaou and fluid-based, thin-layer cervical cytology...
- Cytologic and DNA-cytometric very early diagnosis of oral cancerD Maraki
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
J Oral Pathol Med 33:398-404. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of exfoliative cytology (EC) and DNA-image cytometry applied to suspicious oral lesions compared with synchronous histology...
- Pap smears for men: a vision of the future?S F Oon
Department of Colorectal Surgery, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 179:459-62. 2010..HPV causes a squamous epithelial dysplasia and converts healthy tissue into AINs of increasing severity until anal cancer manifests...
- Specimen adequacy and diagnostic specificity of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirations of nonpalpable thyroid nodulesNadine P Kelly
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:188-90. 2006..In majority of cases of USG-FNA of nonpalpable thyroid nodules, adequate material may be obtained for a specific cytopathologic diagnosis...
- Should liquid-based cytology be repeated at the time of colposcopy?Constance Mao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Low Genit Tract Dis 9:82-8. 2005..To evaluate the usefulness of repeated liquid cytology at the time of colposcopy...
- Cytodiagnosis of neoplasms of the central nervous system in cerebrospinal fluid samples with an application of selective immunostains in differentiationR K Gupta
Cytology Unit, Department of Laboratory Services, Wellington Hospital and School of Medicine, Wellington, New Zealand
Cytopathology 15:38-43. 2004..clinicians and a review of medical charts, histological correlation and/or further investigations following cytodiagnosis. The patients clinically presented with signs and symptoms of meningeal involvement...
- Screening anal dysplasia in HIV-infected patients: is there an agreement between anal pap smear and high-resolution anoscopy-guided biopsy?Caio S R Nahas
Department of Gastroenterology, Surgical Division, University of Sao Paulo, School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, SP, 01308 050, Brazil
Dis Colon Rectum 52:1854-60. 2009..The purpose of this study was to analyze the agreement between anal Pap smear and high-resolution anoscopy-guided biopsy in diagnosing anal dysplasia in HIV-infected patients...
- Comparison of conventional and liquid-based cytology, and human papillomavirus testing using SurePath preparation in JapanHideki Taoka
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Toho University School of Medicine Ohashi Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Hum Cell 23:126-33. 2010..After preparation for cytological diagnosis, use of the remaining cells from the SurePath specimens to perform HPV typing using the linear array method could be feasible...
- Comparative evaluation of smear cytology & hybrid capture II for the diagnosis of cervical cancerKamlesh Kumar
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Indian J Med Res 126:39-44. 2007..This study was undertaken to compare the diagnostic accuracy of HPV testing by hybrid capture II (HC-II) with conventional cervical smear cytology for squamous intraepithelial lesions (SIL)...
- EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration cytodiagnosis of hilar cholangiocarcinoma: a case seriesA Fritscher-Ravens
Department of Interdisciplinary Endoscopy, Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, University Hospital, Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 52:534-40. 2000..This is a study involving endosonography-guided, fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) for cytodiagnosis of potentially operable hilar cholangiocarcinoma when brush cytology was negative or unavailable.
- Oral exfoliative cytology: review of methods of assessmentG R Ogden
Department of Dental Surgery and Periodontology, Dental Hospital, University of Dundee, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 26:201-5. 1997..These studies indicate that oral cytology may provide an important adjunct in the assessment of the patient with a potentially cancerous oral lesion...
- Comparison of cytomorphology in specimens obtained by random periareolar fine needle aspiration and ductal lavage from women at high risk for development of breast cancerCarola M Zalles
Department of Pathology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 97:191-7. 2006..RPFNA was more likely to yield an evaluable specimen, but if a cellular DL specimen was obtained, morphology was generally similar...
- Study of oral epithelial atypia among Sudanese tobacco users by exfoliative cytologyHussain Gad Elkarim Ahmed
Toombak and Smoking Research Centre, P O Box 102, Khartoum, Sudan
Anticancer Res 23:1943-9. 2003..Prevalence of oral cancer is high in Sudan and the disease is attributed to N-nitrosamine rich oral snuff consumption...
- Detection of chromosomal aneusomy by fluorescence in situ hybridization for patients with nipple dischargeDaigo Yamamoto
Department of Surgery, Kansai Medical University, Osaka, Japan
Cancer 97:690-4. 2003..Therefore, we studied the clinical usefulness of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) analysis of a numerical aberration of chromosomes (aneusomy) using ductal lavage from patients with nipple discharge...
- Cytodiagnosis in the autopsy suite: a tool for improving autopsy quality and resident educationVicki J Schnadig
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0548, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:1056-62. 2007..Postmortem cytodiagnosis has the potential to increase the accuracy and specificity of the provisional and final autopsy diagnoses, ..
- Reproducibility of cytologic atypia in repeat nipple duct lavageApril Johnson-Maddux
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Cancer 103:1129-36. 2005....
- Ductal lavage for detection of cellular atypia in women at high risk for breast cancerW C Dooley
Institute for Breast Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1624-32. 2001..In this study, ductal lavage, a new procedure for collecting ductal cells with a microcatheter, was compared with nipple aspiration with regard to safety, tolerability, and the ability to detect abnormal breast epithelial cells...
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) genotyping by HPV DNA chip in cervical cancer and precancerous lesionsG Y Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, Chonnam National University Hospital, 8 Hakdong, Dongku, Gwangju 501 190, Korea
Int J Gynecol Cancer 15:81-7. 2005..However, attempts are being made to replace the cytological screening with HPV tests. Therefore, this study was performed to examine the possibility of using HPV tests as screening test...
- Cytodiagnosis of eumycotic mycetoma: a case reportSushma K Gabhane
Department of Pathology, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha, Maharashtra, India
Acta Cytol 52:354-6. 2008..The distinction between eumycetoma and actinomycetoma in fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) is as accurate as in histopathology, as demonstrated in the present case...
- Immunocytochemical evaluation of thyroid neoplasms on thin-layer smears from fine-needle aspiration biopsiesEsther D Rossi
Division of Anatomic Pathology and Histology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Cancer 105:87-95. 2005..A difficult cytologic diagnosis may be supported by an immunocytochemical study. The efficacy of a panel made up of RET, HBME-1, and Galectin-3 antibodies was evaluated in smears processed by thin-layer cytology (TLC)...
- Value of brush cytology for dominant strictures in primary sclerosing cholangitisC Y Ponsioen
Dept of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endoscopy 31:305-9. 1999..The aim of the present study was to assess the value of brush cytology in discriminating between benign and malignant dominant strictures in primary sclerosing cholangitis...
- Touch imprint cytology of core needle biopsy specimens: a useful method for immediate reporting of symptomatic breast lesionsM B Klevesath
Department of Surgery, West Suffolk Hospital, Bury St Edmunds, England, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:490-4. 2005....
- Interobserver agreement in the interpretation of anal intraepithelial neoplasiaAlice Lytwyn
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Cancer 103:1447-56. 2005..Screening for AIN using anal cytology was suggested. The authors evaluated agreement on cytologic and biopsy specimens from HIV-positive men undergoing anal carcinoma screening...
- Is intraoperative touch imprint cytology of sentinel lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer cost effective?Jacqueline S Jeruss
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 107:2328-36. 2006..The authors hypothesized that TIC, when compared with standard postoperative SLN assessment alone, would permit a cost-effective evaluation of SLNs in patients with clinically node-negative breast cancer...
- Ki-67 expression in cytologic scrapes from oral squamous cell carcinoma before and after 24 gray radiotherapy--a study on 43 patientsPrashant Sharma
Department of Pathology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Associated Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi 2, India
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 10:E15-7. 2005..To study the Ki-67 labeling indices in surface scrape smears from patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma before and after 24 Gray radiotherapy...
- Needle aspiration cytodiagnosis of mucinous (colloid) carcinoma of male breastRaj K Gupta
Pathology 35:539-40. 2003
- The utility of ductal lavage in breast cancer detection and risk assessmentSusan M Domchek
The Rena Rowan Breast Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Breast Cancer Res 4:51-3. 2002..Although DL appears safe and the device is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration, DL is still best utilized in the setting of clinical trials designed to resolve issues of sensitivity, specificity, and localization...
- Serial scrape smear cytology of radiation response in normal and malignant cells of oral cavityRavi Mehrotra
Department of Pathology, Moti Lal Nehru Medical College, Allahabad
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 47:497-502. 2004....
- Design of a multi-classifier system for discriminating benign from malignant thyroid nodules using routinely H&E-stained cytological imagesAntonis Daskalakis
School of Medicine, University of Patras, Rio, Patras 265 04, Greece
Comput Biol Med 38:196-203. 2008..6%). The proposed system was designed with purpose to be utilized in daily clinical practice as a second opinion tool to support cytopathologists' decisions, when a definite diagnosis is difficult to be obtained...
- A comparison of liquid-based cytology and Pap smear as a screening method for cervical cancerJie Zhu
Department for Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karolinska University Hospital at Huddinge, Karolinska Institute, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Oncol Rep 18:157-60. 2007....
- Diagnostic efficacy of immunocytochemistry on fine needle aspiration biopsies processed by thin-layer cytologyGuido Fadda
Division of Anatomic Pathology and Histology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Acta Cytol 50:129-35. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of immunocytochemistry (ICC) performed on smears processed by thin-layer cytology (TLC)...
- Does the interval between papanicolaou tests influence the quality of cytology?Jose Jeronimo
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer 105:133-8. 2005..It is commonly believed that the sensitivity of Papanicolaou (Pap) tests decreases with a short interval between cytology samplings. To the authors' knowledge, there is only limited evidence to support this belief...
- Cytologic findings and protein expression profiles associated with ductal carcinoma of the breast in ductal lavage specimens using surface-enhanced laser desorption and ionization-time of flight mass spectrometrySavvas Mendrinos
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cancer 105:178-83. 2005....
- Accuracy, limitations and pitfalls in the diagnosis of soft tissue tumors by fine needle aspiration cytologySurendra Kumar
Department of Pathology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 50:42-5. 2007..However, only 18 cases could be typed precisely. Therefore, FNAC has a role in the initial diagnosis of soft tissue sarcomas, but it should be used as a complement rather than a competitor to histopathology...
- Analysis of morphologic patterns of fine-needle aspiration of the breast to reduce false-negative results in breast cytologyPaolo Bulgaresi
Laboratory Unit, Centro per lo Studio e la Prevenzione Oncologica, Florence, Italy
Cancer 105:152-7. 2005..The main objective of the current study was to identify a morphologic pattern that may permit the reduction of false-negative findings while maintaining the specificity of FNAC...
- Cytological evaluation of head and neck tumors in children--a pattern analysisBrijal Dave
Department of Pathology, Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai 400012, Maharashtra, India
Diagn Cytopathol 34:434-46. 2006..Ancillary techniques such as immunocytochemistry and electron microscopy applied in limited cases helped evaluate Langerhans cell histiocytosis, alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma, and the PNET/ES family of tumors...
- Kras mutation analysis of fine needle aspirate under EUS guidance facilitates risk stratification of patients with pancreatic massFauze Maluf-Filho
Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Division, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:906-10. 2007..We, therefore, investigated if analysis for mutant kras gene in the EUS-FNAC aspirates supplements cytopathology for the diagnosis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma (PAC)...
- Utility of malignancy markers in fine-needle aspiration cytology of thyroid nodules: comparison of Hector Battifora mesothelial antigen-1, thyroid peroxidase and dipeptidyl aminopeptidase IVC De Micco
Laboratoire d Anatomie et de Cytologie Pathologique, Faculte de Medecine, Bd Pierre Dramard, 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Br J Cancer 98:818-23. 2008..02) allowing highly reliable exclusion of malignancy and the 100% specificity of DPP4 staining scores=12. Due to poor performance on follicular lesions, HBME-1 showed no advantage over TPO or DPP4...
- Accuracy of fine-needle aspiration cytology of axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer patients: a study of 115 cases with cytologic-histologic correlationEinas Alkuwari
Department of Pathology, McGill University Health Center, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer 114:89-93. 2008..The aim of the current study was to determine the sensitivity and specificity of FNA cytology to detect metastatic breast carcinoma in axillary lymph nodes...
- Sonographically guided core biopsy in the assessment of thyroid nodulesJohn N Harvey
Wrexham Academic Unit, University of Wales College of Medicine, Maelor Hospital, Croesnewydd Road, Wrexham LL13 7TD, United Kingdom
J Clin Ultrasound 33:57-62. 2005..This study was conducted to assess the value of sonographically guided core biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules by comparison with fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) performed with and without sonographic guidance...
- Predictive power of cytomorphological features in equivocal (C3, C4) breast FNACC Moyes
Department of Pathology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Cytopathology 15:305-10. 2004..The presence of myoepithelial cells within epithelial groups is not a good indicator of a benign diagnosis (NPV = 24%, sensitivity = 80%, specificity = 53%)...
- Interpretation of fine needle aspiration cytology of the breast: a comparison of cytological, frozen section, and final histological diagnosesA M Bofin
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s and Women s Health, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Cytopathology 15:297-304. 2004..However, cases with a suspicious or equivocal FNA should be considered for frozen section analysis...
- Breast cytology--is there still a role?T Levine
Cytopathology 15:293-6. 2004
- Is there a role for colposcopy in the follow-up of treated low grade squamous intraepithelial lesions?Simon Jones
University Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Christchurch Women s, Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 44:574-6. 2004..Of these, only one case of LGSIL was detected by colposcopy in the absence of abnormal cytology. In the present study, routine colposcopy offered minimal additional benefit over cytology...
- Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma and lung adenocarcinoma: the clinical importance and research relevance of the 2004 World Health Organization pathologic criteriaWilliam D Travis
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Thorac Oncol 1:S13-9. 2006..Advances in the pathology and computed tomography (CT) of lung adenocarcinoma and bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC) have demonstrated important new prognostic features that have led to changes in classification and diagnostic criteria...
- Misclassification of bronchioloalveolar carcinoma with cytologic diagnosis of lung cancerDan J Raz
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery and the UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94131, USA
J Thorac Oncol 1:943-8. 2006..The aims of this study were to calculate the sensitivity and specificity of cytologic diagnosis of BAC and to estimate the misclassification of BAC as other subtypes of NSCLC...
- The role of pre-operative CT-guided FNAB for parapharyngeal space tumorsTarik Y Farrag
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 0910, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 136:411-4. 2007..To determine the role of computed tomography (CT)-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) in surgical planning for parapharyngeal space (PPS) tumors...
- Performance of the DNA-Citoliq liquid-based cytology system compared with conventional smearsV A F Alves
School of Medicine, Sao Paulo University, Brazil
Cytopathology 17:86-93. 2006..To evaluate the performance of a new, manual, simplified liquid-based system, DNA-Citoliq (Digene Brasil), employed under routine conditions as compared to conventional smears collected from six collaborating private laboratories...
- Preoperative ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology for axillary staging in breast carcinomaM B Popli
Health Center, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, Delhi, India
Australas Radiol 50:122-6. 2006..This will save considerable operating time, especially where facilities for sentinel lymph node biopsy (costly dye, gamma camera, nuclear medicine facilities) are restricted or not available...
- Cytologic evaluation of prognostic markers in breast carcinomaGita Jayaram
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Acta Cytol 49:605-10. 2005....
- FDG-PET in the clinically negative neck in oral squamous cell carcinomaBart M Wensing
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 116:809-13. 2006..Therefore, supraomohyoid neck dissection (SOHND) still is a valuable staging procedure in these patients...
- Routine computerized tomography scanning, groin ultrasound with or without fine needle aspiration cytology in the surgical management of primary squamous cell carcinoma of the vulvaR Land
Department of Surgical Gynaecologic Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, London SW3 6JJ, United Kingdom
Int J Gynecol Cancer 16:312-7. 2006..For the groin nodes, USS/FNAC is superior to CT in assessing disease status. In contrast to CT, USS/FNAC may have a useful clinical role in the management of the groin nodes in vulval carcinoma...
- The utility of GLUT-1 immunolocalization in cell blocks: An adjunct to the fine needle aspiration diagnosis of cystic squamous lesions of the head and neckVishal S Chandan
Department of Pathology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Cancer 108:124-8. 2006..The authors evaluated the usefulness of glucose transporter-1 (GLUT-1) immunostaining as an adjunct to fine-needle aspirations of squamous lesions of the head and neck...
- Is cytologic screening an effective surveillance method for detection of vaginal recurrence of uterine cancer?Amy L Cooper
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
Obstet Gynecol 107:71-6. 2006..The study objective was to assess the efficacy and costs associated with Pap tests in routine surveillance of women with uterine cancer...
- Is liquid-based pap testing affected by water-based lubricant?Jon K Hathaway
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, College of Human Medicine, Michigan State University and Sparrow Hospital, Lansing, Michigan 48909, USA
Obstet Gynecol 107:66-70. 2006..To estimate the effect of water-based lubricant on the liquid-based Pap test...
- Analysis of cytological specimens from mediastinal lesions obtained by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspirationHenk Kramer
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Cancer 108:206-11. 2006..The diagnostic yield of EUS-FNA and the accuracy of cytologic specimens was evaluated...
- Efficacy and pitfalls of fine needle aspiration in the diagnosis of neck massesP Sheahan
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, South Infirmary, Victoria Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Surgeon 2:152-6. 2004..The purpose of the present study is to review the efficacy of this procedure, as well as to identify any pitfalls that may limit its usefulness...
- Yield of EUS-guided FNA of pancreatic masses in the presence or the absence of chronic pancreatitisShyam Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:728-36; quiz 751, 753. 2005....
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of salivary glands: diagnostic pitfalls--revisitedArvind Rajwanshi
Department of Cytology and Gynecologic Pathology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Diagn Cytopathol 34:580-4. 2006..Therefore, this study illustrates high diagnostic accuracy of FNAC in salivary gland lesions and shows that FNAC offers valuable information that allows the planning of subsequent patient management...
- Positive predictive value of the breast FNAB diagnoses of epithelial hyperplasia with atypia, papilloma, and radial scarAlison Mak
Department of Anatomical Pathology, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Diagn Cytopathol 34:818-23. 2006..The PPV of 0.74 for the cytological diagnosis of PAP of the breast compares favorably to similar published studies, and we suggest that the specific diagnosis of PAP can be made reliably using cytological criteria...
- Percutaneous biopsy of pediatric solid tumorsKevin M Garrett
Department of Radiological Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale Street, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Cancer 104:644-52. 2005..The objective of the current study was to determine the diagnostic accuracy of percutaneous biopsy of pediatric solid tumors, a procedure that is less invasive than open biopsy...
- MIB-1 and PCNA immunostaining as a diagnostic adjunct to cervical Pap smearM M Goel
Department of Pathology, King George s Medical University, Lucknow, UP, India
Diagn Cytopathol 33:15-9. 2005..87 for MIB-1 and r = 0.88 for PCNA) suggests that MIB-1/PCNA proliferative markers can be used as an adjunct to cytomorphological interpretation of conventional cervical Pap smear...
- Eleven years of experience reveals that fine-needle aspiration cytology is still a useful method for preoperative diagnosis of breast carcinomaQingqing He
Department of General Surgery, Jinan Military General Hospital, Jinan 250031, Peoples Republic of China
Breast 16:303-6. 2007..The results suggest that FNAC is still a useful and reliable method for the preoperative diagnosis of breast carcinoma...
- Endobiliary brush cytology during percutaneous transhepatic cholangiodrainage in patients with obstructive jaundiceGu Sheng Xing
Department of Radiology, First Hospital of Tsinghua University, Beijing 100016, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 4:98-103. 2005..Percutaneous transhepatic endobiliary brush cytology in detecting obstructive jaundice is evaluated...
- An alternate model of thyroid cytology: practical not perfectM R Holbrook
Department of Histopathology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square, Leicester, UK
Cytopathology 14:121-5. 2003..No clinically significant adverse event was detected...
- Comparative analysis of a liquid-based Pap test and concurrent HPV DNA assay of residual samples. A study of 608 casesIn Soon Hong
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Howard University, 520 W St, NW, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Acta Cytol 46:828-34. 2002..S.A.) PreserveCyt (Cytyc) vial as a quality improvement (QI) indicator for management of patients with abnormal cervical cytology...
- A prospective comparison of digital image analysis and routine cytology for the identification of malignancy in biliary tract stricturesTodd H Baron
Division of Gastroenterology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:214-9. 2004..Digital image analysis (DIA) allows quantification of nuclear DNA content and may help distinguish benign and malignant strictures of the biliary tract...
- Cytologic and histologic review of atypical glandular cells (AGC) detected during cervical cytology screeningC J Jeng
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cathay General Hospital and Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Gynecol Cancer 13:518-21. 2003..In addition, prompt diagnostic interventions, including colposcopy, endocervical curettage, and/or endometrial biopsy, should be performed after confirmation of the diagnosis of non-AGC by an experienced gynecologic cytopathologist...
- Fine-needle cytology and flow cytometry immunophenotyping and subclassification of non-Hodgkin lymphoma: a critical review of 307 cases with technical suggestionsPio Zeppa
Dipartimento di Anatomia Patologica e Citopatologia, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Naples, Italy
Cancer 102:55-65. 2004..The authors present a critical review of 307 lymph nodal and extra lymph nodal lymphoproliferative disorders that were diagnosed with FNC and FC...
- Cytologic features and histologic correlations of microacinar and microtrabecular types of well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinoma in fine-needle aspiration biopsyGrace C H Yang
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Cancer 102:27-33. 2004..The objective of this study was to characterize the cytologic features of this pattern with histologic correlations...
- Comparison of hybrid capture 2 with in situ hybridization for the detection of high-risk human papillomavirus in liquid-based cervical samplesAlbertus T Hesselink
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer 102:11-8. 2004..The performance of two commercially available detection systems for high-risk HPV (hrHPV), Hybrid Capture 2 (HC2) and in situ hybridization (ISH), were compared on cervical scrapings...
- Intraoperative imprint cytologic evaluation of sentinel lymph nodes for lobular carcinoma of the breastAndrew J Creager
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27157, USA
Ann Surg 239:61-6. 2004..We are unaware of any large published studies, using any technique, to evaluate SLN for lobular carcinoma...
- Final diagnoses following C3 (atypical, probably benign) breast cytologyM Mottahedeh
Rapid Access Breast Clinic, Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport, NP20 2UB, South Wales, UK
Breast 12:276-9. 2003..Where C3 cytology is obtained, core biopsy should be performed, but excision biopsy may still be required. The definition of C3 cytology should be changed to indeterminate...
- Stability of archived liquid-based cytologic specimensPhilip E Castle
Cancer 99:320-2. 2003
- Cytologic findings of marginal zone lymphomaJohn P Crapanzano
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cancer 99:301-9. 2003..MZL is a low-grade lymphoma characterized by a heterogeneous lymphoid population, which can be difficult to distinguish from reactive processes in cytology specimens...
- Yield of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in patients with suspected pancreatic carcinomaMohamad A Eloubeidi
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Cancer 99:285-92. 2003....
- Role of cytological grading in the management of breast lumpAamer Mehmood
Department of Histopathology, Combined Military Hospital, Kharian Cantt, Pakistan
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 13:150-2. 2003..To evaluate the fine needle aspiration (FNA) smears of the breast lumps using the cytological evaluation system (C1 to C5) as practiced in the National Breast Screening Programme in the UK...
- Frozen section in thyroid surgery: is it a necessity?Bahadir Cetin
First Department of Surgery, Ankara Oncology Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Can J Surg 47:29-33. 2004..Our objective in this study was to assess the value of intraoperative FS biopsy in patients with nodular disease of the thyroid gland...
- CYTOMETRIC CD4 COUNTING - A MINIMALIST APPROACHHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy(FNAB) Needle DeviceVinod Shidham; Fiscal Year: 2002..Apart from the worldwide market, the potential market in United States alone should exceed $1,500,000 per year. ..
- Altered Breast Methylation after Low/Hi Dose IsoflavonesEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Protein Profiling in Nipple Aspirate FluidEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Breast Cancer Prediction Using Nipple Aspirate FluidEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Effect of Black Cohosh Extract on the Human BreastEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings should allow us to design a high quality R01 submission involving a larger, randomized study of longer duration which should provide some answers on the potential role of BCE in breast cancer. ..
- EARLY DETECTION OF MENINGEAL CARCINOMATOSIS USING TOPOG*Sydney Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Profiling of Premalignant Oral LesionsMark Lingen; Fiscal Year: 2008..This molecular analysis may also greatly improve diagnostic prediction compared to the cellular pattern recognition currently used by pathologists. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Kinetic Biomarker for CLL PrognosisScott Turner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- RAPID AFFORDABLE TB DRUG SUSCEPTIBILITY TESTINGHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Surveillance Strategies Following Treatment for CINJoy Melnikow; Fiscal Year: 2007..Alternative strategies for post-treatment surveillance will be evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Cancer, Chemoprevention, and Anti-AngiogenesisMark Lingen; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Patient Safety by Examining Pathology ErrorsStephen Raab; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- AFFORDABLE RAPID BACTERIAL DETECTION IN STORED PLATELETSHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TAMOXIFEN & BREAST CANCER--ACCEPTANCE/COST EFFECTIVENESSJoy Melnikow; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- North Carolina Needs Assessment for Oral Cancer ControlLauren Patton; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Biomarker modulation/COX-2 inhibitor/Breast CancerBanu Arun; Fiscal Year: 2003..Ultimately, the development of non-hormonal chemoprevention agents, and identification of surrogate markers will allow us to plan large-scale, phase III chemoprevention studies with the endpoint of cancer incidence. ..
- Automated Tissue ArrayerMark Lingen; Fiscal Year: 2004..An already established Internal Advisory Committee will oversee an equitable and appropriate use by a broad disciplinary group of scientists while giving priority to NIH-supported groups. ..
- HIGH-PRECISION FLOW CYTOMETRY OF BACTERIA AND VIRUSESHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2004..The relationship between staining intensity and nucleic acid type and content in viruses, will be investigated, with a view toward refining cytometric virus detection and identification. ..
- SACRAL CREST CELLS AND ENTERIC NEURODEVELOPMENTRaj Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study will further our understanding of normal enteric neurodevelopment and congenital disorders of intestinal motility. ..
- CYTOMETRIC TUBERCULOSIS DETECTION AND SENSITIVITY TESTSHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2005..bovis, M. smegmatis, and M. tuberculosis H37Ra, and evaluate the suitability of fluorescent nitrate reductase substrates for detection and quantification of mycobacterial strains expressing that enzyme. ..
- MOLECULAR DETERMINANTS OF ANGIOGENSIS IN ORAL CANCERMark Lingen; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Clinical & Cost Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination in the USSue Goldie; Fiscal Year: 2009....