- New, small, fast acting blood glucose meters--an analytical laboratory evaluation
1st Department of Medicine, Paracelsus Private Medical University Salzburg, St Johanns Spital, Salzburg, Austria
Swiss Med Wkly 137:536-40. 2007
..We questioned whether accuracy and precision of these new, small and light weight devices would meet analytical laboratory standards and tested four meters with the above mentioned conditions...
- Age-related variations in hematologic and plasma biochemical test results in Beagles and Labrador Retrievers
E Jean Harper
Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, Waltham on the Wolds, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE14 4RT, UK
J Am Vet Med Assoc 223:1436-42. 2003
..To investigate age-related variations in results of hematologic and plasma biochemical tests performed on dogs of 2 common breeds...
- Haematology, blood chemistry and urine parameters of free-ranging plains viscachas (Lagostomus maximus) in Argentina determined by use of a portable blood analyser (i-STAT) and conventional laboratory methods
C J Wenker
Zoo Basel, Binningerstrasse 40, CH 4054 Basel, Switzerland
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 54:260-4. 2007
..In general, correlation and agreement between the two methods were low for most parameters...
- An unusual case of a primary blood collection tube with floating separator gel
Clinical Biochemical Laboratory, San Maurizio Regional Hospital, Via L Boehler 5, Balzano, Italy
J Clin Lab Anal 26:246-7. 2012
..The aspiration of gel along with the sample matrix might also spuriously modify the test results, since an inappropriate amount of serum or plasma would be analyzed...
- Reference intervals in healthy adult Ugandan blood donors and their impact on conducting international vaccine trials
Leigh Anne Eller
U S Military HIV Research Program, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3919. 2008
..In order to ensure enrollment of healthy participants and proper safety evaluation of vaccine candidates, established reference intervals for clinical tests are required in the target population...
- Optimized metabolite extraction from blood serum for 1H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
Henry Wellcome Building for Biomolecular NMR Spectroscopy, CR UK Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Anal Biochem 377:16-23. 2008
..We also describe a new method to recover the hydrophobic fraction for ultrafiltration with good reproducibility...
- Reference ranges for the clinical laboratory derived from a rural population in Kericho, Kenya
Rukia S Kibaya
Walter Reed Project, U S Military HIV Research Program, Kericho, Kenya
PLoS ONE 3:e3327. 2008
- Conventional or physicochemical approach in intensive care unit patients with metabolic acidosis
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Medical Centre St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Crit Care 7:R41-5. 2003
..Metabolic acidosis is the most frequent acid-base disorder in the intensive care unit. The optimal analysis of the underlying mechanisms is unknown...
- Effect of marathon running on hematologic and biochemical laboratory parameters, including cardiac markers
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 118:856-63. 2002
..We provide a table of modified reference ranges (or expected ranges) for basic biochemical, cardiac, and hematologic laboratory parameters for marathon runners...
- Non-HDL cholesterol shows improved accuracy for cardiovascular risk score classification compared to direct or calculated LDL cholesterol in a dyslipidemic population
Hendrick E van Deventer
National Institutes of Health, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Bethesda, MD 20892 1508, USA
Clin Chem 57:490-501. 2011
- Interference with serum indices measurement, but not chemical analysis, on the Roche Modular by Patent Blue V
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 45:289-92. 2008
..We recently discovered three cases with falsely elevated lipaemic indices on the Roche Modular, following intramammary injection of Patent Blue. This, and other potential interferences by Patent Blue, is examined in this study...
- Protein biomarker discovery and validation: the long and uncertain path to clinical utility
Departments of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Nat Biotechnol 24:971-83. 2006
- Diagnosing diabetic nephropathy by 1H NMR metabonomics of serum
Ville Petteri Mäkinen
Folkhalsan Institute of Genetics, Folkhalsan Research Center, Biomedicum Helsinki, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
MAGMA 19:281-96. 2006
..Conversely, in this study, these independent diagnostic data are used to provide a realistic testing case for applying (1)H NMR metabonomics of serum in a diagnostic fashion...
- Hematological indices and iron status in athletes of various sports and performances
Yorck Olaf Schumacher
Department of Prevention, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine, University of Freiburg, Germany
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:869-75. 2002
..The purpose of this epidemiological study was to investigate the characteristics of the red blood cell system and the iron metabolism in athletes of different sporting disciplines and at different levels of performance...
- A magneto-optic route toward the in vivo diagnosis of malaria: preliminary results and preclinical trial data
Dave M Newman
School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics, University of Exeter, Exeter EX4 4QF, United Kingdom
Biophys J 95:994-1000. 2008
- Gadolinium magnetic resonance contrast agents produce analytic interference in multiple serum assays
Kerry A S Proctor
Department of Pathology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 121:282-92. 2004
..Likewise, certain analytic methods are more prone to interference, while others not affected...
- State of the art in trueness and interlaboratory harmonization for 10 analytes in general clinical chemistry
W Greg Miller
Department of Pathology, Virginia Commonwealth University, PO Box 980286, Richmond, VA 23298 0286, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:838-46. 2008
..Harmonization and standardization of results among different clinical laboratories is necessary for clinical practice guidelines to be established...
- Evaluation of the effect of two gadolinium-containing contrast-enhancing agents, gadobutrol and gadoxetate disodium, on colorimetric calcium determinations in serum and plasma
Bayer HealthCare, Berlin, Germany
Invest Radiol 46:366-9. 2011
..To determine the extent to which the gadolinium-containing contrast agents, gadobutrol (Gadovist) and gadoxetate disodium (Primovist/Eovist), interfere with the colorimetric measurement of calcium concentrations in serum and plasma...
- [Haemolysis and turbidity influence on three analysis methods of quantitative determination of total and conjugated bilirubin on ADVIA 1650]
E Gobert De Paepe
Laboratoire de Biochimie Hormonologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 66:175-82. 2008
..Our data suggest that both Siemens and Diasys methods allow to measure accurately total and conjugated bilirubin in hemolytic and lipemic samples, nevertheless, the Siemens methodology is less affected by these interferences...
- Correction of patient results for Beckman Coulter LX-20 assays affected by interference due to hemoglobin, bilirubin or lipids: a practical approach
Henricus J Vermeer
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Haga Hospital, The Hague, The Netherlands
Clin Chem Lab Med 45:114-9. 2007
..For all interferants (hemoglobin, bilirubin, lipids), relatively simple algorithms are derived that can easily be implemented in the clinical laboratory...
- Clinical and economic impact of falsely decreased calcium values caused by gadoversetamide interference
Manish J Gandhi
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Box 8118, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:W213-7. 2008
- Hematocrit and plasma chemistry values in adult collared scops owls (Otus lettia) and crested serpent eagles (Spilornis cheela hoya)
Fang Tse Chan
Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University, 250 Kuo Kuang Road, Taichung, Taiwan 402, R O C
J Vet Med Sci 74:893-8. 2012
- Interference of gadolinium on the measurement of selenium in human serum by inductively coupled plasma-quadrupole mass spectrometry
Trace Element Laboratory, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU27XH, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 48:176-7. 2011
- Raman spectroscopy offers great potential for the nondestructive confirmatory identification of body fluids
Department of Chemistry, University at Albany, SUNY, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222, USA
Forensic Sci Int 181:e1-5. 2008
..Overall, this preliminary study demonstrates the great potential of Raman spectroscopy for nondestructive, confirmatory identification of body fluids for forensic purposes...
- An ELISA method for the identification of salivary amylase
Office of Chief Medical Examiner, Department of Forensic Biology, New York City, USA
J Forensic Sci 50:873-6. 2005
..2 units. Of these swabs, the 1:100 dilution showed the lowest activity (0.048). This value is still more than ten times that of the non-saliva containing swab with the highest activity...
- Establishment of long-term monitoring system for blood chemistry data by the national health and nutrition survey in Japan
Osaka Medical Center for Health Science and Promotion, CRMLN Lipid Reference Laboratory, Osaka, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 15:244-9. 2008
..We established a monitoring system for the annual follow-up of blood chemistry data obtained by the National Health and Nutrition Survey in Japan...
- Serum biochemical values of adult ostriches (Struthio camelus) anesthetized with xylazine, ketamine, and isoflurane
Fahd A Al-Sobayil
College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Qassim University, Buraydah 51452, PO Box 6622, Saudi Arabia
J Avian Med Surg 25:97-101. 2011
..These results should be taken into account when blood samples are evaluated in chemically immobilized or anesthetized ostriches...
- Comparison of two transcutaneous bilirubinometers--Minolta AirShields Jaundice Meter JM103 and Spectrx Bilicheck--in Thai neonates
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 36:1533-7. 2005
..The accuracy of JM in predicting TSB was higher than BC at all TSB levels. Operating the JM was simple and uncomplicated. It would be suitable for clinical use when a number of personnel perform the measurement...
- Limits and pitfalls of Athlete's Biological Passport
IRCCS Galeazzi and University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 49:1417-21. 2011
..The ABP needs of additional evidences and of scientific debate...
- Novel method to measure serum levels of des-gamma-carboxy prothrombin for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients taking warfarin: a preliminary report
Department of Gastroenterology, Ogaki Municipal Hospital, Ogaki, Japan
Cancer Sci 103:921-5. 2012
..The novel NX-DCP ratio identifies patients on warfarin with elevated DCP due to HCC and is useful as a tumor marker for HCC in this patient subpopulation...
- Evacuated blood-collection tubes for haematological tests - a quality evaluation prior to their intended use for specimen collection
Faculty of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, University of Ljubljana, Askerceva 5, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Clin Chem Lab Med 51:1043-51. 2013
..No testing procedures that would give an insight into the anticoagulant concentration that can be expected for blood samples after specimen collection have been available up until now...
- Analytical interferences resulting from intravenous lipid emulsion
Ami M Grunbaum
Division of Medical Biochemistry, Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 50:812-7. 2012
..Lipid resuscitation therapy using intravenous lipid emulsion (IVLE) for drug overdoses has gained widespread use. However, there is little information regarding its adverse effects...
- Biochemical findings in common inborn errors of metabolism
University of Utah, and ARUP Laboratories, 500 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 142:64-76. 2006
..Early treatment can improve the outcome of these disorders...
- [6S]-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate is at least as effective as folic acid in preventing a decline in blood folate concentrations during lactation
Lisa A Houghton
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 83:842-50. 2006
..No data, however, are available on the effect of supplemental [6S]-5-methylTHF on blood folate concentrations during lactation...
- Comparison of a new transcutaneous bilirubinometer (Bilimed) with serum bilirubin measurements in preterm and full-term infants
Clinic of Neonatology, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Pediatr 9:70. 2009
..No contact with the skin is needed during measurement, no additional material costs occur. Our aim was to assess the agreement between the Bilimed and serum bilirubin in preterm and term infants of different skin colours...
- Assay-specific differences in lipemic interference in native and intralipid-supplemented samples
Joshua A Bornhorst
Department of Pathology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Clin Chem 50:2197-201. 2004
- Effect of acute dietary standardization on the urinary, plasma, and salivary metabolomic profiles of healthy humans
Marianne C Walsh
Nutrition Unit, Division of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Am J Clin Nutr 84:531-9. 2006
..Metabolomics in human nutrition research is faced with the challenge that changes in metabolic profiles resulting from diet may be difficult to differentiate from normal physiologic variation...
- The value of the chloride: sodium ratio in differentiating the aetiology of metabolic acidosis
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Intensive Care Med 27:828-35. 2001
..Thus, the Cl:Na ratio could be used as a simple alternative to the anion gap in identifying raised TA...
- Evaluating interference caused by lipemia
Martin H Kroll
Clin Chem 50:1968-9. 2004
- Unreliability of triglyceride measurement to predict turbidity induced interference
P J Twomey
Clinical Biochemistry, St John s Hospital, Livingston EH54 6PP, UK
J Clin Pathol 56:861-2. 2003
..The evaluation of turbidity induced interference needs to be standardised using objective assessments of turbidity...
- Serum phosphate abnormalities in the emergency department
Joseph R Shiber
Department of Emergency Medicine, East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
J Emerg Med 23:395-400. 2002
..Hemodialysis may be required for severe hyperphosphatemia with symptomatic hypocalcemia...
- Evaluation of commutability of control materials
Laboratoire de biochimie appliquée, UFR des Sciences Pharmaceutiques, Universite Louis Pasteur de Strasbourg, Ilkirch, France
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:625-30. 2002
..We propose to verify the commutability of materials before their use in an external quality control assessement...
- The Nordic Trueness Project 2002: use of reference measurement procedure values in a general clinical chemistry survey
M M Pedersen
DEKS, 54M1 Herlev University Hospital, DK 2730 Herlev, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 64:309-20. 2004
..The findings should be used to discuss to what extent reference measurement procedure values are useful and cost-efficient for this type of material...
- Simultaneous quantification of sirolimus, everolimus, tacrolimus and cyclosporine by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS)
Institute of Pharmacology, Medical School Hannover, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 40:285-92. 2002
..The simultaneous quantification of blood levels by LC-MS seems to be the method of choice in transplanted patients receiving multiple immunosuppressants...
- Multicenter evaluation of the interference of hemoglobin, bilirubin and lipids on Synchron LX-20 assays
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Bronovo Hospital, The Hague, The Netherlands
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:413-9. 2006
..Use of the cutoff indices presented here facilitates optimal use of the LX-20 indices to prevent reporting of wrong results due to interference...
- Metabolic characterisation of plasma in juveniles with glycogen storage disease type 1a (GSD1a) by high-resolution (1)H NMR spectroscopy
Iola F Duarte
CICECO, Department of Chemistry, Campus Universitario de Santiago, University of Aveiro, 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
NMR Biomed 20:401-12. 2007
..The specificity of the changes observed to GSD1a is discussed, together with the recognised potential of NMR and pattern recognition methods for aiding the diagnosis of GSD1a...
- Hepcidin: from discovery to differential diagnosis
Erwin H J M Kemna
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Haematologica 93:90-7. 2008
..Ongoing studies in humans should provide us with more information on the etiology of iron metabolism disorders in order to create new therapeutic strategies and improve differential diagnosis protocols for these diseases...
- Proteomics meets blood banking: identification of protein targets for the improvement of platelet quality
Canadian Blood Services, Centre for Blood Research and the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Proteomics 73:436-44. 2010
- Influence of tourniquet application on venous blood sampling for serum chemistry, hematological parameters, leukocyte activation and erythrocyte mechanical properties
Department of Anesthesiology and ICU, Akdeniz University Faculty of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Clin Chem Lab Med 47:769-76. 2009
..The aim of the present study was to define the optimal sampling time after tourniquet removal to avoid adverse impact on laboratory analytes...
- Seven direct methods for measuring HDL and LDL cholesterol compared with ultracentrifugation reference measurement procedures
W Greg Miller
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
Clin Chem 56:977-86. 2010
..Methods from 7 manufacturers and 1 distributor for directly measuring HDL cholesterol (C) and LDL-C were evaluated for imprecision, trueness, total error, and specificity in nonfrozen serum samples...
- High-throughput genotyping on archived dried blood spot samples
Mads V Hollegaard
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 13:173-9. 2009
..For evaluation of the biobank samples, we included variable factors: time of storage, gDNA, and whole-genome amplified DNA (wgaDNA) concentrations and the Illumina quality metric (GenCall score)...
- Blood, urine, and sweat (BUS) study: monitoring and elimination of bioaccumulated toxic elements
Stephen J Genuis
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 61:344-57. 2011
..Sweat analysis should be considered as an additional method for monitoring bioaccumulation of toxic elements in humans...
- Effects of 21 days of bed rest, with or without artificial gravity, on nutritional status of humans
S R Zwart
Universities Space Research Association, Houston, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:54-62. 2009
..These data provide evidence that artificial gravity itself does not negatively affect nutritional status during bed rest. Likewise, artificial gravity has no protective effect on nutritional status during bed rest...
- Japanese standard reference material for JDS Lot 2 haemoglobin A1c. I: Comparison of Japan Diabetes Society-assigned values to those obtained by the Japanese and USA domestic standardization programmes and by the International Federation of Clinical Chemi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Ann Clin Biochem 42:41-6. 2005
- Pyometra in bitches induces elevated plasma endotoxin and prostaglandin F2alpha metabolite levels
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 7037, SE 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Vet Scand 47:55-67. 2006
..Treatment inhibiting prostaglandin biosynthesis and related compounds could be beneficial for bitches suffering from pyometra...
- Differentiation between pyometra and cystic endometrial hyperplasia/mucometra in bitches by prostaglandin F2alpha metabolite analysis
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 7037, SE 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
Theriogenology 66:198-206. 2006
..The results of the present study showed that PG-metabolite analysis is valuable in the diagnosis and prediction of severity of uterine diseases...
- Results of a 90-day safety assurance study with rats fed grain from corn borer-protected corn
B G Hammond
Monsanto Company, Product Safety Center, 800 North Lindbergh Blvd, Bldg O3F, St Louis, MO 63167, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 44:1092-9. 2006
..This study complements extensive agronomic, compositional and farm animal feeding studies with MON 810 grain, confirming that it is as safe and nutritious as grain from existing commercial corn varieties...
- Evaluation of four point-of-care meters for rapid determination of blood lactate concentrations in dogs
Mark J Acierno
Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70810, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 230:1315-8. 2007
..To determine whether blood lactate values determined in dogs with 4 commercially available point-of-care meters were in agreement with values determined with a critical care laboratory blood analyzer...
- The accuracy of the Lactate Pro hand-held analyser to determine blood lactate in healthy dogs
Department of Medicine and Clinical Biology of Small Animals, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ghent University, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke, Belgium
J Small Anim Pract 49:504-8. 2008
..The objective of this study was to determine the accuracy of the Lactate Pro hand-held analyser in measuring blood lactate levels...
- Anion gap, anion gap corrected for albumin, and base deficit fail to accurately diagnose clinically significant hyperlactatemia in critically ill patients
Lakhmir S Chawla
Department of Critical Care Medicine and Anesthesiology, The George Washingto Unitversity Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Intensive Care Med 23:122-7. 2008
..Serum lactate should be measured in all critically ill adults in whom hypoperfusion is suspected...
- Results of a 90-day safety assurance study with rats fed grain from corn rootworm-protected corn
Monsanto Company, 800 North Lindbergh Blvd, St Louis, MO 63167, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 44:147-60. 2006
..This study complements extensive agronomic, compositional and farm animal feeding studies with MON 863 grain, confirming that it is as safe and nutritious as existing conventional corn varieties...
- [Measurement of triglycerides in capillary blood: validation against whole blood measurement]
Ana Alegría Barrero
Departamento de Cardiologia, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Espana
Med Clin (Barc) 133:375-8. 2009
..Capillary analysis of TG would facilitate the recognition of those abnormalities. The aim of the present study was to assess the concordance between TG values measured in capillary (Accutrend GCT Roche Diagnostics) and total blood...
- Nutritional status assessment before, during, and after long-duration head-down bed rest
Sara R Zwart
Nutritional Biochemistry Laboratory, Human Adaptation and Countermeasures Division, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 80:A15-22. 2009
..Bed rest is a valuable ground-based model for many of the physiological changes that are associated with spaceflight. Nutritional changes during and after 60 or 90 d of head-down bed rest were evaluated...
- Suspension microarrays for the identification of the response patterns in hyperinflammatory diseases
Hsin Yun Hsu
NMI Natural and Medical Sciences Institute at the University of Tübingen, Reutlingen, Germany
Med Eng Phys 30:976-83. 2008
- Safety assessment of Cry1C protein from genetically modified rice according to the national standards of PR China for a new food resource
Laboratory of Food Safety and Molecular Biology, College of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100083, PR China
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 58:474-81. 2010
..Taken together, these data indicate that the Cry1C protein is not a potential allergen or toxin...
- Accuracy of transcutaneous bilirubinometry compare to total serum bilirubin measurement
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Srinakharinwirot University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 93:S81-6. 2010
..Neonatal hyperbilirubinemia leads to bilirubin neurotoxicity. Noninvasive transcutaneous bilirubin (TcB) levels can be used as a screening tool for total serum bilirubin (TSB) levels...
- Evaluation of the VITROS 5,1 FS chemistry system in a large pediatric laboratory
Allgemeines Krankenhaus, Universitäts Kinderklinik, Vienna, Austria
Clin Lab 53:17-26. 2007
..76. An explanation for the difference could not be found. The VITROS 5,1 FS analytical system is a reliable routine instrument which fits into a large pediatric laboratory of a university...
- Assessment of a transcutaneous device in the evaluation of neonatal hyperbilirubinemia in a primarily Hispanic population
William D Engle
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Pediatrics 110:61-7. 2002
- Results of an international round robin for the quantification of serum non-transferrin-bound iron: Need for defining standardization and a clinically relevant isoform
Esther M G Jacobs
Department of Clinical Chemistry, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Anal Biochem 341:241-50. 2005
- Lactate as a diagnostic test for septic peritoneal effusions in dogs and cats
Garrett M Levin
Department of Surgery, The E and M Bobst Hospital, The Animal Medical Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 40:364-71. 2004
..Peritoneal fluid lactate concentration and blood to fluid lactate difference were not accurate tests for detecting septic peritoneal effusions in cats...
- Use of relaxation-edited one-dimensional and two dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy to improve detection of small metabolites in blood plasma
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, SW7 2AZ, London, UK
Anal Biochem 325:260-72. 2004
..Both pulse sequences and experimental results are discussed for T(1)-, T(1rho)-, and T(2)-filtered COSY, T(2)-filtered phase-sensitive DQF-COSY, and T(1), T(1rho)-, and T(2)-filtered TOCSY NMR...
- The comparison of plasma deproteinization methods for the detection of low-molecular-weight metabolites by (1)H nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
Clare A Daykin
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Anal Biochem 304:220-30. 2002
- Reference values for trace and ultratrace elements in human serum determined by double-focusing ICP-MS
C S Muñiz
Department of Physical and Analytical Chemistry, University of Oviedo, Spain
Biol Trace Elem Res 82:259-72. 2001
..High levels of Al, Cr, Sr, Mo, Mn, Pb, U, Co, and Cu and low levels of Fe, Zn, and Rb were found in the serum samples from hemodialysis patients compared to the corresponding reference values observed in this work...
- Messenger RNA profiling: a prototype method to supplant conventional methods for body fluid identification
Graduate Program in Biomolecular Science, University of Central Florida, PO Box 162366, Orlando, FL 32816 2366, USA
Forensic Sci Int 135:85-96. 2003
..Collectively these findings constitute the basis of a prototype RNA based assay system that may eventually supplant conventional methods for body fluid identification...
- Effect of general anesthesia and minor surgical trauma on urine and serum measurements in horses
Zara E Watson
Department of Surgical and Radiological Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Am J Vet Res 63:1061-5. 2002
..To characterize the effect of general anesthesia and minor surgery on renal function in horses...
- Hematology and plasma biochemistry reference range values for free-ranging desert tortoises in Arizona
Vanessa M Dickinson
Research Branch, Arizona Game and Fish Department, 2221 W Greenway Rd, Phoenix, Arizona 85023, USA
J Wildl Dis 38:143-53. 2002
..Seasonal and annual differences in hematology and blood chemistry were related to rainfall patterns, forage availability, and physiological condition...
- Length of sedimentation reaction in blood: a comparison of the test 1 ESR system with the ICSH reference method and the sedisystem 15
Department of Haematology, H C U Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:232-7. 2003
..In addition, due to its operational characteristics (60 samples/20 min) it is a suitable tool for clinical laboratories with a high work load as well as for emergency laboratories...
- Performance evaluation of blood glucose monitoring devices
Ellen T Chen
Center for Devices and Radiological Health, US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 5:749-68. 2003
..This study describes the current state of performance of blood glucose monitoring devices and points out those factors that should be assessed during evaluation of new devices...
- Blood values of juvenile northern elephant seals (Mirounga angustirostris) obtained using a portable clinical analyzer
R Scott Larsen
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 31:106-10. 2002
..These abnormalities could be detected rapidly using a portable blood analyzer, but results with this analysis method do not necessarily equate with those obtained using other techniques...
- Advanced oxidation protein products (AOPP) for monitoring oxidative stress in critically ill patients: a simple, fast and inexpensive automated technique
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Clin Chem Lab Med 43:294-7. 2005
- A canine model of septic shock: balancing animal welfare and scientific relevance
Peter C Minneci
Critical Care Medicine Department, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2487-500. 2007
..The integration into this model of both specific and supportive titrated therapies routinely used in septic patients may provide a more realistic setting to evaluate therapies for sepsis...
- Normal hematologic and biochemical values for prelaying greater sage grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) and their influence on chick survival
Mike R Dunbar
U S Fish and Wildlife Service, Sheldon Hart Mountain National Wildlife Refuge Complex, P O Box 111, Lakeview, Oregon 97630, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 36:422-9. 2005
..These parameters are not only indicative of the nutritional status of prelaying hens but may be associated with nutritional quality of the habitat and therefore have important management significance...
- Comparison of mid-infrared and Raman spectroscopy in the quantitative analysis of serum
Roche Diagnostics GmbH, Mannheim, Germany
J Biomed Opt 10:031108. 2005
..In our experiments vibrational spectroscopy-based quantification appears to be limited to accuracies in the 0.1 mmol/l range...
- The effect of smoking, smoking cessation, and passive smoke exposure on common laboratory values in clinical settings: a review of the evidence
Jeannette O Andrews
Department of Health Environments and Systems, School of Nursing, Medical College of Georgia, EB 204, 997 St Sebastian Way, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 18:63-9, xii. 2006
..This article addresses the effects of active and passive smoking and cessation on common parameters of hematology, hemostasis, immunology and inflammation, and chemistry laboratory tests...
- Canine cancer screening via ultraviolet absorbance and fluorescence spectroscopy of serum proteins
Bryan D Dickerson
Luna Innovations Incorporated, 3157 State Street, Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA
Appl Opt 46:8080-8. 2007
..7 to 3.7 g/dL). Of the dogs that met these criteria, only 20% were given a false positive label by this cancer screening test...
- Measurement of rheologic property of blood by a falling-ball blood viscometer
Laboratory of Biofluid Dynamics, Research Institute for Electronic Science, Hokkaido University, North 12, West 6, North District, Sapporo, 060 0812, Japan
Ann Biomed Eng 36:545-53. 2008
..In contrast to this, in the case of the whole blood in which massive aggregates were formed, the viscosity obtained with a falling-ball viscometer was much larger than that obtained with a cone-plate viscometer...
- Impact of external haematology proficiency testing programme on quality of laboratories
Department of Haematology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Med Res 126:428-32. 2007
- Computational prediction models for early detection of risk of cardiovascular events using mass spectrometry data
Tuan D Pham
School of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, The University of New South Wales, ADFA, Canberra, ACT 2006, Australia
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 12:636-43. 2008
..The proposed computational strategies are very promising for predicting major adverse cardiac events within six months...
- Biochemical and hematologic values for 18 clinically healthy radiated tortoises (Geochelone radiata) on St Catherines Island, Georgia
University of Miami, Department of Pathology, Division of Comparative Pathology and Avian and Wildlife Diagnostic Laboratory, Miami, FL, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 35:321-5. 2006
..Captive breeding programs have generated data on the breeding behavior and ecology of G radiata; however, hematologic and biochemical data also are critically important in managing populations...
- Normal haematology and blood biochemistry of wild Nile crocodiles (Crocodylus niloticus) in the Okavango Delta, Botswana
C J Lovely
Gobabis Veterinary Practise, PO Box 1424, Gobabis, Namibia
J S Afr Vet Assoc 78:137-44. 2007
..The values reported here will be useful in diagnostic investigations in both zoo and farmed Nile crocodiles...
- Hematology, plasma chemistry, and serology of the flightless cormorant (Phalacrocorax harrisi) in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Erika K Travis
Saint Louis Zoo, One Government Dr, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:133-41. 2006
..The overall negative serologic findings of this research suggest that the flightless cormorant is an immunologically naïve species, which may have a reduced capacity to cope with the introduction of novel pathogens...
- Hematology, morphology, cytochemical staining, and ultrastuctural characteristics of blood cells in king cobras (Ophiophagus hannah)
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kasetsart University, Kamphaengsaen Nakorn Pathom, Thailand
Vet Clin Pathol 31:116-26. 2002
..Hematologic tests would be useful for evaluating the health of the snakes, however, basic hematologic data and morphology have not been described for this species...
- Hematology, serum chemistry, and serology of Galápagos penguins (Spheniscus mendiculus) in the Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
Erika K Travis
Saint Louis Zoo, One Government Drive, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Wildl Dis 42:625-32. 2006
..Seventy-five of 84 (89%) penguins had antibodies to Chlamydophila psittaci but chlamydial DNA was not detected via polymerase chain reaction in samples from 30 birds...
- Hematologic and plasma biochemical analysis of juvenile head-started northern red-bellied cooters (Pseudemys rubriventris)
Charles J Innis
New England Aquarium, Central Wharf, Boston, Massachusetts 02110, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:425-32. 2007
..Basophils were the most numerous type of leucocyte. Results for some values varied significantly between institutions, possibly due to unrecognized differences in husbandry at each facility...
- Hematologic and biochemical reference intervals for Spanish ibex
Jesús M Pérez
Departamento de Biologia Animal, Biología Vegetal y Ecología, Universidad de Jaen, Paraje Las Lagunillas, S N, E 23071, Jaen, Spain
J Wildl Dis 39:209-15. 2003
..We found significant differences in eight biochemical parameters among male and female ibexes. Significant differences in values for 20 hematologic and biochemical parameters between age classes also were found...
- Hematologic reference intervals for koi (Cyprinus carpio), including blood cell morphology, cytochemistry, and ultrastructure
Niraj K Tripathi
Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 33:74-83. 2004
..Hematologic data are used routinely in the health care of humans and domestic mammals. Similar data for fish are largely fragmentary or have not been collected...
- Hematology, blood chemistry, and bacteriology of the free-ranging Mexican beaded lizard (Heloderma horridum)
Zoológico Guadalajara, Avenida Paseo del Zoológico 600, Guadalajara, Jalisco 44390, Mexico
J Zoo Wildl Med 39:21-7. 2008
..This information will serve as baseline reference values for future health assessment studies in conservation, captive breeding, and research programs...
- Hematologic and plasma biochemical values of healthy hybrid tilapia (Oreochromis aureus x Oreochromis nilotica) maintained in a recirculating system
Michael J Mauel
Thad Cochran National Warmwater Aquaculture Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, P O Box 197, Stoneville, Mississippi 38776, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:420-4. 2007
..The condition of the sample was also noted (lipemic, hemolysis, and icterus). The reference ranges reported in this study can be used in the management of cultured tilapia in recirculating systems...
- Normal haematological values in gyr falcons (Falco rusticolus)
J H Samour
Falcon Specialist Hospital and Research Institute, Fahad bin Sultan Falcon Center, PO Box 55, Riyadh 11322, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Vet Rec 157:844-7. 2005
- Successive changes of hematologic characteristics and plasma chemistry values of juvenile loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta)
Port of Nagoya Public Aquarium, Minato ku, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
J Zoo Wildl Med 38:77-84. 2007
..These results were used to establish a hematology and blood chemistry baseline for captive juvenile loggerhead turtles and will aid in their medical management...
- Hematology and plasma biochemistry of captive puna ibis (Plegadis ridgewayi)
Rob L Coke
Oklahoma City Zoological Park, 2101 NE 50th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73111, USA
J Wildl Dis 40:141-4. 2004
..The values presented here may be useful to clinicians or wildlife managers working with puna ibises...