Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of several skin tests to determine past or present tuberculosis infection. A purified protein derivative of the tubercle bacilli, called tuberculin, is introduced into the skin by scratch, puncture, or interdermal injection.
Publications334 found, 100 shown here
- Systematic review: T-cell-based assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: an updateMadhukar Pai
McGill University and Montreal Chest Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Intern Med 149:177-84. 2008..A recent meta-analysis showed that IGRAs have high specificity, even among populations that have received bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination. Sensitivity was suboptimal for TST and IGRAs...
- Interferon-γ release assays for the diagnosis of latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection: a systematic review and meta-analysisR Diel
Dept of Pneumology, Medical School Hanover, Hanover, Germany
Eur Respir J 37:88-99. 2011..IGRAs may have a relative advantage over the TST in detecting LTBI and allow the exclusion of M. tuberculosis infection with higher reliability...
- Ante mortem diagnosis of tuberculosis in cattle: a review of the tuberculin tests, gamma-interferon assay and other ancillary diagnostic techniquesR de la Rua-Domenech
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Tuberculosis Division, 1A Page Street, London SW1P 4PQ, United Kingdom
Res Vet Sci 81:190-210. 2006..The strategic deployment of ancillary in vitro tests alongside the primary skin tests has enhanced the detection of M. bovis-infected cattle and reduced the number of animals slaughtered as false positives...
- Evidence-based comparison of commercial interferon-gamma release assays for detecting active TB: a metaanalysisRoland Diel
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Hannover Medical School MHH, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Chest 137:952-68. 2010..1% (95% CI, 0.052-0.071), respectively, among immunosuppressed hosts. The newest commercial IGRAs are superior, in comparison with the TST, for detecting confirmed active TB disease, especially when performed in developed countries...
- Predictive value of interferon-γ release assays for incident active tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysisMolebogeng X Rangaka
Centre for Infectious Disease Research and Epidemiology, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Lancet Infect Dis 12:45-55. 2012..We aimed to assess whether interferon-γ release assays (IGRAs) can predict the development of active tuberculosis and whether the predictive ability of these tests is better than that of the tuberculin skin test (TST)...
- False-positive tuberculin skin tests: what is the absolute effect of BCG and non-tuberculous mycobacteria?M Farhat
Respiratory Epidemiology and Clinical Research Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:1192-204. 2006..However, TST specificity is reduced by bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination and exposure to non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM)...
- Interferon-gamma release assays and childhood tuberculosis: systematic review and meta-analysisA M Mandalakas
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:1018-32. 2011..Children infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis have significant risk of developing tuberculosis(TB) and can therefore benefit from preventive therapy...
- Tuberculosis among health-care workers in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic reviewRajnish Joshi
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e494. 2006..Most health-care facilities in these countries lack resources to prevent nosocomial transmission of tuberculosis (TB)...
- T-cell assay conversions and reversions among household contacts of tuberculosis patients in rural IndiaM Pai
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:84-92. 2009..In a pilot study, we determined conversions and reversions using QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube((R)) (QFT) among household contacts of TB cases, and evaluated the effect of using various definitions and criteria for conversions...
- The new IGRA and the old TST: making good use of disagreementMadhukar Pai
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:529-31. 2007
- Within-subject variability of interferon-g assay results for tuberculosis and boosting effect of tuberculin skin testing: a systematic reviewRichard N van Zyl-Smit
Lung Infection and Immunity Unit, Division of Pulmonology and UCT Lung Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 4:e8517. 2009..However, the effect of a preceding TST on subsequent IGRA results has been reported in studies with apparently conflicting results...
- Interferon-gamma release assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in HIV-infected individuals: a systematic review and meta-analysisAdithya Cattamanchi
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 56:230-8. 2011..To determine whether interferon-gamma release assays (IGRAs) improve the identification of HIV-infected individuals who could benefit from latent tuberculosis infection therapy...
- Serial testing of health care workers for tuberculosis using interferon-gamma assayMadhukar Pai
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:349-55. 2006..Although interferon-gamma (IFN-gamma) assays are promising alternatives to the tuberculin skin test (TST), their serial testing performance is unknown...
- A systematic review of rapid diagnostic tests for the detection of tuberculosis infectionJ Dinnes
Wessex Institute for Health Research and Development, University of Southampton, UK
Health Technol Assess 11:1-196. 2007..To evaluate the effectiveness of available rapid diagnostic tests to identify tuberculosis (TB) infection...
- Negative and positive predictive value of a whole-blood interferon-γ release assay for developing active tuberculosis: an updateRoland Diel
Department of Pneumology, Medical School Hannover MHH, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:88-95. 2011..only limited data are available on the predictive value of interferon-γ release assays for progression from latent tuberculosis infection to active tuberculosis (TB)...
- Priorities for the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection in the United StatesC Robert Horsburgh
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
N Engl J Med 350:2060-7. 2004..Currently, the rate of completion of treatment is low...
- Comparing QuantiFERON-tuberculosis gold, T-SPOT tuberculosis and tuberculin skin test in HIV-infected individuals from a low prevalence tuberculosis countryChristoph Stephan
HIVCENTER at Medical Department II, Hospital of Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
AIDS 22:2471-9. 2008..To evaluate the interferon-gamma-releasing assays QuantiFERON-tuberculosis (TB) Gold and T-SPOT.TB in addition to tuberculin skin test (TST) for diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in HIV patients...
- The utility of an interferon gamma release assay for diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection and disease in children: a systematic review and meta-analysisShingai Machingaidze
South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:694-700. 2011..We reviewed the literature on the use of a commercial IGRA in immunocompetent children for the diagnosis of both latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) and TB disease...
- Within-subject variability and boosting of T-cell interferon-gamma responses after tuberculin skin testingRichard N van Zyl-Smit
Lung Infection and Immunity Unit, Division of Pulmonology and UCT Lung Institute Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:49-58. 2009..Assessment of within-subject IGRA variability will aid in establishing thresholds for conversions and reversions, and interpretation of serial testing results...
- Reducing tuberculosis incidence by tuberculin skin testing, preventive treatment, and antiretroviral therapy in an area of low tuberculosis transmissionLuigia Elzi
University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 44:94-102. 2007..We aimed to assess the effect of TST and preventive treatment of TB on the incidence of TB in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy in an area with low rates of TB transmission...
- Risk factors for tuberculosis infection in children in contact with infectious tuberculosis cases in the Gambia, West AfricaChristian Lienhardt
Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia, West Africa
Pediatrics 111:e608-14. 2003..There are limited data on the risk of infection in child populations in developing countries...
- New tools and emerging technologies for the diagnosis of tuberculosis: part I. Latent tuberculosisMadhukar Pai
University of California, Berkeley and San Francisco, Berkeley Division of Epidemiology, 140, Warren Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 6:413-22. 2006..The review concludes by highlighting areas where evidence is lacking, and provides an agenda for future research. Active TB and drug resistance are discussed in Part II; 423-432 of this issue...
- Risk factors for developing tuberculosis: a 12-year follow-up of contacts of tuberculosis casesO Morán-Mendoza
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:1112-9. 2010..Many risk factors for the development of tuberculosis (TB) have been reported but have not been simultaneously assessed...
- Evaluation of the prognostic value of IFN-gamma release assay and tuberculin skin test in household contacts of infectious tuberculosis cases in SenegalChristian Lienhardt
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Programme Tuberculose, Dakar, Senegal
PLoS ONE 5:e10508. 2010..To address this, we investigated the response to TST and IGRA in household contacts of infectious TB cases in a TB high-burden country and the potential correlation with development of TB...
- Repeated cross-sectional skin testing for bovine tuberculosis in cattle kept in a traditional husbandry system in EthiopiaR Tschopp
Swiss Tropical Institute, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Vet Rec 167:250-6. 2010..The comparative intradermal tuberculin test with two diagnostic thresholds were used to define positive test results, one according to the World ..
- Interferon-gamma release assays versus tuberculin skin testing for detection of latent tuberculosis in chronic haemodialysis patientsPierre Alain Triverio
Division of Nephrology, Geneva University Hospital, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:1952-6. 2009..End stage renal disease increases the risk of reactivating latent tuberculosis (LTBI). Interferon-gamma release assays (IGRA) are an alternative to the tuberculin skin test (TST) for detecting LTBI...
- Diagnosis of tuberculous uveitis: clinical application of an interferon-gamma release assayMarcus Ang
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Ophthalmology 116:1391-6. 2009..To determine the role of the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube (QFT) (Cellestis Inc., Carnegie, Australia) assay in the diagnosis of tuberculosis (TB) uveitis...
- Comparison of interferon-gamma release assays and tuberculin skin test in predicting active tuberculosis (TB) in children in the UK: a paediatric TB network studyAlasdair R J Bamford
Academic Department of Paediatrics, Imperial College London, London, UK
Arch Dis Child 95:180-6. 2010..The authors examined the sensitivity of commercially available IGRA to diagnose active TB in children in the UK compared with the tuberculin skin test (TST)...
- Changing prevalence of tuberculosis infection with increasing age in high-burden townships in South AfricaR Wood
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:406-12. 2010..Crowded townships of Cape Town, South Africa, where human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence and tuberculosis (TB) notification rates are among the highest in the world...
- Highly discordant T cell responses in individuals with recent exposure to household tuberculosisA C Hesseling
Desmond Tutu TB Centre, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Tygerberg, 7505, South Africa
Thorax 64:840-6. 2009..There are limited data comparing interferon-gamma release assays (IGRAs) for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in highly endemic settings...
- Relationship of immunodiagnostic assays for tuberculosis and numbers of circulating CD4+ T-cells in HIV infectionL Leidl
Research Center Borstel, Germany
Eur Respir J 35:619-26. 2010..46). In HIV-1 infection, TST and QFT-G-IT immune responses are both strongly related to the degree of immunodeficiency, while results of the T-Spot.TB are independent of the level of CD4+ T-cell depletion...
- Risk factors for tuberculosis infection in sub-Saharan Africa: a contact study in The GambiaChristian Lienhardt
IRD, BP 1386, Dakar, Senegal
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:448-55. 2003....
- High level of discordant IGRA results in HIV-infected adults and childrenA M Mandalakas
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:417-23. 2008..Tygerberg district, Western Cape Province, South Africa...
- Performance of tests for latent tuberculosis in different groups of immunocompromised patientsLuca Richeldi
Section of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Oncology, Hematology and Respiratory Diseases, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Chest 136:198-204. 2009....
- High prevalence and increased severity of pathology of bovine tuberculosis in Holsteins compared to zebu breeds under field cattle husbandry in central EthiopiaGobena Ameni
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1356-61. 2007..Holsteins), which were kept on pasture in the central highlands of Ethiopia, using a comparative intradermal tuberculin test, postmortem examination, and bacteriology. The overall prevalence of bovine TB was 13...
- Detection of latent tuberculosis in immunosuppressed patients with autoimmune diseases: performance of a Mycobacterium tuberculosis antigen-specific interferon gamma assayG Matulis
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, University of Bern, Switzerland
Ann Rheum Dis 67:84-90. 2008..To analyse the performance of a new M. tuberculosis-specific interferon gamma (IFNgamma) assay in patients with chronic inflammatory diseases who receive immunosuppressive drugs, including tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNFalpha) inhibitors...
- Interferon gamma release assays: principles and practiceAjit Lalvani
Tuberculosis Research Unit, Department of Respiratory Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, UK
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 28:245-52. 2010..The role of IGRAs in active TB is less clear but they may be useful as adjunctive tests in the diagnostic work-up of an individual with suspected TB. Finally, recent developments and future directions in IGRA development are reviewed...
- The tuberculin skin test versus QuantiFERON TB Gold® in predicting tuberculosis disease in an adolescent cohort study in South AfricaHassan Mahomed
South African Tuberculosis Vaccine Initiative, Institute of Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS ONE 6:e17984. 2011..This study was conducted in a high tuberculosis (TB) burden area in Worcester, South Africa, with a notified all TB incidence rate of 1,400/100,000...
- Repeat tuberculin skin testing leads to desensitisation in naturally infected tuberculous cattle which is associated with elevated interleukin-10 and decreased interleukin-1 beta responsesMichael Coad
TB Research Group, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Vet Res 41:14. 2010..The desensitising effect is associated with decreased IL-1beta and elevated IL-10 responses, but importantly, does not influence antigen specific IFN-gamma responses...
- Comparative performance of tuberculin skin test, QuantiFERON-TB-Gold In Tube assay, and T-Spot.TB test in contact investigations for tuberculosisRoland Diel
School of Public Health c o Institute of Medical Sociology, University of Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Chest 135:1010-8. 2009....
- Improved diagnostic evaluation of suspected tuberculosisDavinder P S Dosanjh
Tuberculosis Immunology Group, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
Ann Intern Med 148:325-36. 2008..The role of new T-cell-based blood tests for tuberculosis in the diagnosis of active tuberculosis is unclear...
- Challenges of interferon-γ release assay conversions in serial testing of health-care workers in a TB control programKimberlee S Fong
Department of Infectious Disease, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Chest 142:55-62. 2012..Clinical data with use of serial interferon-γ release assay (IGRA) testing in US health-care workers (HCWs) are limited...
- Assessment of diagnostic tools for eradication of bovine tuberculosis in cattle co-infected with Mycobacterium bovis and M. avium subsp. paratuberculosisAlicia Aranaz
Departamento de Sanidad Animal I, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Av Puerta de Hierro s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Vet Res 37:593-606. 2006..This report highlights the need to use several diagnostic techniques for the accurate detection of M. bovis infected animals in these herds...
- Approaches to tuberculosis screening and diagnosis in people with HIV in resource-limited settingsMichael J A Reid
Department of Social Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 9:173-84. 2009..However, until simpler, cheaper, and more sensitive diagnostics for tuberculosis are available in peripheral healthcare settings, a strategy must be developed that uses current evidence to combine available screening tools...
- Diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection in healthy young adults in a country with high tuberculosis burden and BCG vaccination at birthAlemnew F Dagnew
Armauer Hansen Research Institute, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BMC Res Notes 5:415. 2012..The aim of this study was therefore to evaluate the use of QFT-GIT assay as compared with TST in the diagnosis of LTBI in Ethiopia, a country with a high burden of TB and routine BCG vaccination at birth...
- TB screening in Canadian health care workers using interferon-gamma release assaysAlice Zwerling
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e43014. 2012....
- Married to M. tuberculosis: risk of infection and disease in spouses of smear-positive tuberculosis patientsA Crampin
Karonga Prevention Study, Malawi
Trop Med Int Health 16:811-8. 2011..To quantify the risk of infection and disease in spouses of tuberculosis patients and the extent to which intervention could reduce the risk in this highly exposed group...
- Vaccination technique, PPD reaction and BCG scarring in a cohort of children born in Guinea-Bissau 2000-2002Adam Roth
Bandim Health Project, Apartado 861, Bissau, Guinea Bissau
Vaccine 23:3991-8. 2005..Considering that these responses are associated with better infant survival, the importance of monitoring vaccination technique and of different BCG strains should be evaluated with respect to infant mortality...
- Thinking in three dimensions: a web-based algorithm to aid the interpretation of tuberculin skin test resultsD Menzies
Respiratory Epidemiology and Clinical Research Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:498-505. 2008..Accurate interpretation of TST requires consideration of three dimensions-the size of the skin reaction, the positive predictive value (PPV) and risk of disease...
- Interferon-gamma release assay performance in pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosisYun Feng
Department of Infectious Diseases, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e32652. 2012..TB) and tuberculin skin test (TST) in BCG-vaccinated population...
- Contact examination for tuberculosis in Hong Kong is usefulK Noertjojo
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:19-24. 2002..The tuberculosis programme of the Hong Kong Government Tuberculosis and Chest Service...
- Tuberculosis attributed to household contacts in the PhilippinesI G Sia
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:122-5. 2010..History of TB and older age were independently associated with TB disease, and age and duration of cohabitation with TB infection. TB and TB infection are highly prevalent in TB households in the Philippines...
- Evaluation of the sensitivity and specificity of bovine tuberculosis diagnostic tests in naturally infected cattle herds using a Bayesian approachJulio Alvarez
Instituto de Investigacion en Recursos Cinegeticos IREC CSIC UCLM JCCM, Ronda de Toledo s n, 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
Vet Microbiol 155:38-43. 2012..6% using severe SIT and 0.05 cut-off point in the IFN-γ assay). These results support the potential use of the IFN-γ assay as an ancillary technique for routine BT diagnosis...
- Malnutrition and helminth infection affect performance of an interferon gamma-release assayTania A Thomas
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Pediatrics 126:e1522-9. 2010..We sought to compare the tuberculin skin test (TST) to the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube assay (QFT-IT) and assess the effects of malnourishment and intestinal helminth infection on QFT-IT results...
- Tuberculosis incidence among contacts of active pulmonary tuberculosisM Cailleaux-Cezar
Instituto de Doenças do Tórax, Hospital Clementino Fraga Filho da Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:190-5. 2009....
- Programmatic impact of QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube implementation on latent tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment in a public health clinicMaunank Shah
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e36551. 2012..In March, 2010, the Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD) introduced routine QFT-GIT testing for individuals referred to the TB program for suspected latent TB infection (LTBI)...
- Validity of interferon-γ-release assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis in haemodialysis patientsW K Chung
Department of Internal Medicine, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon, Korea
Clin Microbiol Infect 16:960-5. 2010..The frequency of indeterminate results was higher for the QFT (12.6%) compared with the TSPOT (4.8%). In conclusion, the IGRAs can be useful for the diagnosis of latent TB infection in haemodialysis patients...
- Comparison of the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube test with the tuberculin skin test for detecting latent tuberculosis infection in hemodialysis patientsE C Seyhan
Department of Chest Diseases, Yedikule Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Transpl Infect Dis 12:98-105. 2010..The QuantiFERON-TB Gold assay (QFT-G) may be more accurate than the tuberculin skin test (TST) in the detection of LTBI. We prospectively compared the results of QFT-G to TST in HD patients...
- Contact screening and latent TB infection treatment in Singapore correctional facilitiesC B E Chee
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:1248-52. 2005..Singapore, a city-state with a tuberculosis (TB) incidence rate of 47 per 100000 population in 2000...
- Advances in ante-mortem diagnosis of tuberculosis in cattleB M Buddle
AgResearch, Hopkirk Research Institute, Private Bag 11008, Palmerston North 4442, New Zealand
N Z Vet J 57:173-80. 2009..The use of these new ancillary tests in association with skin-testing will improve the detection of M. bovis-infected cattle and reduce the unnecessary slaughter of false-positive reactors...
- Ocular tuberculosis: a clinicopathologic and molecular studyKeith J Wroblewski
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC, USA
Ophthalmology 118:772-7. 2011..To analyze the clinical profiles, histopathologic features, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis polymerase chain reaction testing in patients with ocular tuberculosis...
- Serial testing with the interferon-γ release assay in Portuguese healthcare workersJosé Torres Costa
Occupational Health Division, Hospital S Joao, Alameda Professor Hernani Monteiro, Porto, Portugal
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 84:461-9. 2011..However, data concerning conversion and reversion rates in serial testing of healthcare workers (HCWs) with an interferon-γ release assay are sparse...
- Diagnosis of tuberculosis in dialysis patients: current strategyLiviu Segall
Nephrology Department, Dr C I Parhon Hospital, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Gr T Popa, Iasi, Romania
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1114-22. 2010..Therefore, current strategy in dialysis patients should use these tests instead of TST for LTBI screening and as an aid for the diagnosis of active TB...
- Prevalence of tuberculosis infection in the United States population: the national health and nutrition examination survey, 1999-2000Diane E Bennett
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:348-55. 2008..The goal for tuberculosis (TB) elimination in the United States is a TB disease incidence of less than 1 per million U.S. population by 2010, which requires that the latent TB infection (LTBI) prevalence be less than 1% and decreasing...
- Programmatic impact of using QuantiFERON®-TB Gold in routine contact investigation activitiesJ A Grinsdale
Tuberculosis Control Section, Department of Public Health, City and County of San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, Ward 94 1001 Potrero Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:1614-20. 2011....
- First-in-man open clinical trial of a combined rdESAT-6 and rCFP-10 tuberculosis specific skin test reagentWinnie Bergstedt
Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 5:e11277. 2010..Animal studies have shown that the sensitivity may be increased by inclusion of the genetically related CFP-10 antigen in the preparation without loosing specificity...
- Performance of QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube (QFTGIT) for the diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) infection in Afar Pastoralists, EthiopiaMengistu Legesse
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
BMC Infect Dis 10:354. 2010....
- Recent advances in testing for latent TBNeil W Schluger
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Chest 138:1456-63. 2010....
- Agreement between Quantiferon-TB gold test and tuberculin skin test in the identification of latent tuberculosis infection in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitisNevsun Inanc
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Marmara University Medical School, Istanbul, Turkey
J Rheumatol 36:2675-81. 2009....
- T-Spot.TB outperforms tuberculin skin test in predicting tuberculosis diseaseChi Chiu Leung
Tuberculosis and Chest Service, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Hong Kong, China
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:834-40. 2010..Silicosis is a well-recognized risk factor for tuberculosis (TB)...
- Predictors of persistently positive Mycobacterium-tuberculosis-specific interferon-gamma responses in the serial testing of health care workersFelix C Ringshausen
Department of Medicine III Pneumology, Allergology and Sleep Medicine, University Hospital Bergmannsheil, Bochum, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 10:220. 2010....
- Ocular signs predictive of tubercular uveitisAmod Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology, Advanced Eye Center, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Am J Ophthalmol 149:562-70. 2010..To determine ocular signs predictive of tubercular uveitis...
- Interferon-gamma release assays in immigrant contacts and effect of remote exposure to Mycobacterium tuberculosisS V Kik
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, The Hague, The Netherlands
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:820-8. 2009..TB-in immigrant contacts of sputum smear-positive TB patients...
- Annual risk of tuberculous infection using different methods in communities with a high prevalence of TB and HIV in Zambia and South AfricaKwame Shanaube
ZAMBART Project, University Teaching Hospital, Lusaka, Zambia
PLoS ONE 4:e7749. 2009..This paper explores the implications of using different methods to estimate prevalence of infection and ARTI. The effect of BCG vaccination on these estimates is also investigated...
- Use of purified protein derivative to assess the risk of infection in children in close contact with adults with tuberculosis in a population with high Calmette-GuÃ©rin bacillus coverageL M Almeida
Federal University of Sergipe, Aracaju, Brazil
Pediatr Infect Dis J 20:1061-5. 2001..Children exposed to adults with TB are at high risk of infection. The risk of infection is associated with the intimacy of contact and the number of bacilli expectorated in sputum...
- Childhood tuberculosis infection and disease: a spatial and temporal transmission analysis in a South African townshipKeren Middelkoop
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town
S Afr Med J 99:738-43. 2009..While adult TB results from both recent and past infection, childhood TB results from recent infection and reflects ongoing transmission despite current TB control strategies...
- Rates of tuberculosis transmission to children and adolescents in a community with a high prevalence of HIV infection among adultsKeren Middelkoop
Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, School of Public Health and Family Medicine, University of Cape Town, Mowbray, Cape Town, South Africa
Clin Infect Dis 47:349-55. 2008....
- Using latent class analysis to estimate the test characteristics of the γ-interferon test, the single intradermal comparative tuberculin test and a multiplex immunoassay under Irish conditionsTracy A Clegg
Centre for Veterinary Epidemiology and Risk Analysis, Veterinary Sciences Centre, School of Agriculture, Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Vet Microbiol 151:68-76. 2011..devoted to improving the existing diagnostic tests for bovine tuberculosis (single intradermal comparative tuberculin test [SICTT] and γ-interferon assay [γ-IFN]) and to develop new tests...
- Production of TNF-alpha, IL-12(p40) and IL-17 can discriminate between active TB disease and latent infection in a West African cohortJayne S Sutherland
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Banjul, The Gambia
PLoS ONE 5:e12365. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess if the use of a longer term assay and the analysis of multiple cytokines would enhance diagnosis of active TB in a TB-endemic population...
- Systematic review of cost and cost-effectiveness of different TB-screening strategiesAlbert Nienhaus
University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Institute for Health Service Research in Dermatology and Nursing Hamburg, Germany
BMC Health Serv Res 11:247. 2011..The objective of this report was to undertake a structured review and critical appraisal of the methods used for the model-based cost-effectiveness analysis of TB screening programmes...
- Immunopathogenesis and diagnosis of tuberculosis and tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome during early antiretroviral therapyJulian H Elliott
National Centre in HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Infect Dis 200:1736-45. 2009..In many settings, the benefits of antiretroviral therapy (ART) are reduced by the high early incidence of tuberculosis and tuberculosis-associated immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (TB-IRIS)...
- Appraisal of interpretation criteria for the comparative intradermal tuberculin test for diagnosis of tuberculosis in cattle in central EthiopiaGobena Ameni
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:1272-6. 2008..5%). Thus, our study demonstrates the importance of defining local, relevant cutoff values to maximize test sensitivity, and we suggest the application of the >2-mm cutoff for testing of cattle in central Ethiopia...
- A prospective large-scale study of methods for the detection of latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in refugee childrenMichaela Lucas
Department of Clinical Immunology, Royal Perth Hospital, GPO Box X2213, Perth WA 6847, Australia
Thorax 65:442-8. 2010..However, both IGRAs have methodological and performance characteristics that limit their usefulness in refugee children, highlighting the need for continued development of screening strategies...
- Revisiting rates of reactivation tuberculosis: a population-based approachC Robert Horsburgh
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:420-5. 2010..10 to 0.16 cases per 100 person-years in the 1950s; it has not been measured since...
- Guidelines for preventing the transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in health-care settings, 2005Paul A Jensen
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 54:1-141. 2005..tuberculosis. The term "setting" has been chosen over the term "facility," used in the previous guidelines, to broaden the potential places for which these guidelines apply...
- Discriminating between latent and active tuberculosis with multiple biomarker responsesMarc Frahm
Center for AIDS Research, Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 91:250-6. 2011..The combination of IL-15 and MCP-1 responses was accurate in distinguishing persons with active tuberculosis from persons with latent tuberculosis in this study...
- Risk factors associated with the occurrence of bovine tuberculosis in cattle in the Southern Highlands of TanzaniaR R Kazwala
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Public Health, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania
Vet Res Commun 25:609-14. 2001..risk factors was based on comparisons of the reactivity of the cattle in the single comparative intradermal tuberculin test (SCITT). Older cattle were more affected by the disease than yearlings and calves (p<0.0001)...
- Role of QuantiFERON-TB gold, interferon gamma inducible protein-10 and tuberculin skin test in active tuberculosis diagnosisBasirudeen Syed Ahamed Kabeer
Department of Immunology, Tuberculosis Research Centre ICMR, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
PLoS ONE 5:e9051. 2010....
- Cattle husbandry in Ethiopia is a predominant factor affecting the pathology of bovine tuberculosis and gamma interferon responses to mycobacterial antigensGobena Ameni
Aklilu Lemma Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Clin Vaccine Immunol 13:1030-6. 2006..A difference in the cellular immune response between zebu and Holstein cattle was observed, while tuberculosis lesion severities were identical in the two breeds, when both were kept in a pasture...
- Enhanced diagnosis of HIV-1-associated tuberculosis by relating T-SPOT.TB and CD4 countsT Oni
Faculty of Health Sciences, Institute of Infectious Diseases and Molecular Medicine, University of Cape Town, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Eur Respir J 36:594-600. 2010..A strong association between the degree of sputum positivity and T-SPOT.TB score was found. The sensitivity of the T-SPOT.TB assay in active disease may be less impaired by advanced immunosuppression...
- LTBI: latent tuberculosis infection or lasting immune responses to M. tuberculosis? A TBNET consensus statementU Mack
Lovisenberg Diakonale Sykehus, Oslo, Norway
Eur Respir J 33:956-73. 2009..In summary, the main issue regarding testing is to restrict it to those who are known to be at higher risk of developing tuberculosis and who are willing to accept preventive chemotherapy...
- Predictive value for progression to tuberculosis by IGRA and TST in immigrant contactsS V Kik
KNCV Tuberculosis Foundation, PO Box 146, 2501 CC, The Hague, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 35:1346-53. 2010..3% (95% CI 1.3-5.3%) for T-SPOT.TB. Sensitivity was 100%, 88%, 63% and 75%, respectively. The predictive values of QFT-GIT, T-SPOT.TB and TST for progression to TB disease among immigrant close contacts were comparable...
- Poor concordance between interferon-gamma release assays and tuberculin skin tests in diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection among HIV-infected individualsNaasha J Talati
Division of Infectious Diseases, Emory University, School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
BMC Infect Dis 9:15. 2009..A new generation of diagnostic tests, the interferon-gamma release assays (IGRAs), have been developed for the detection of latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI). Limited data are available on their use in HIV-infected persons...
- Prevalence and risk factors for tuberculosis infection among hospital workers in Hanoi, Viet NamLuu Thi Lien
Hanoi Tuberculosis and Lung Disease Hospital, Hanoi, Viet Nam
PLoS ONE 4:e6798. 2009..We conducted a cross-sectional study to determine the prevalence of TB infection and its risk factors among HCWs in Hanoi, Viet Nam...
- Differential cytokine secretion and early treatment response in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisJ F Djoba Siawaya
Division of Molecular Biology and Human Genetics MRC Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology DST NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical TB Research, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Clin Exp Immunol 156:69-77. 2009..Overall, this study shows the potential of cytokines as indicators of anti-tuberculosis treatment response...
- Association between smoking and tuberculosis infection: a population survey in a high tuberculosis incidence areaS den Boon
Centre for TB Research and Education, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Stellenbosch University, P O Box 19063, 7505 Tygerberg, Cape Town, South Africa
Thorax 60:555-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine the association between smoking and M tuberculosis infection...
- Annual incidence of latent tuberculosis infection among newly employed nurses at a tertiary care university hospitalKwangha Lee
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:1218-22. 2009..To investigate the annual rate of tuberculosis (TB) infection among newly employed nurses using both tuberculin skin test (TST) and QuantiFERON-TB Gold (QFT-G; Cellestis Limited) assay...
- Experimental Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection of cynomolgus macaques closely resembles the various manifestations of human M. tuberculosis infectionSaverio V Capuano
Department of Molecular Genetics and Biochemistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Infect Immun 71:5831-44. 2003..In addition, this model will provide an opportunity to study the latent M. tuberculosis infection observed in approximately 90% of all infected humans...
- QuantiFERON-TB Gold and the TST are both useful for latent tuberculosis infection screening in autoimmune diseasesF Bartalesi
Infectious and Tropical Diseases Unit, Careggi Hospital, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur Respir J 33:586-93. 2009....
- Interferon-gamma release assay improves the diagnosis of tuberculosis in childrenLeila Bianchi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:510-4. 2009..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the performance of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA)-based IGRA for detecting TB in children...
- Interferon-inducible protein-10 as a marker to detect latent and active tuberculosis in rheumatoid arthritisD Y Chen
National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 15:192-200. 2011..The usefulness of the tuberculin skin test (TST) and QuantiFERON®-TB Gold (QFT-G) for detecting latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) is limited...
- Training in Translational Lung ResearchNeil Schluger; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Immunoepidemiology of Concomittant InfectionSharon Perry; Fiscal Year: 2008..S. foreign born and the developing world. ..
- Partners in Health and Housing Prevention Research Cent*C Horsburgh; Fiscal Year: 2008..Abstract not provided ..
- NATURAL HISTORY OF HEPATITIS C INFECTION IN HIV DISEASEC Horsburgh; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies are expected to improve our understanding of the natural history and pathogenesis of HCV in immunosuppressed hosts. ..
- DENVER COMMUNITY PROGRAM FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH ON AIDS (David Cohn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- UAB/BVAMC Clinical Center in COPDMark Dransfield; Fiscal Year: 2007..These Investigators have expertise in COPD, Clinical Research and Study Design, Behavioral Science, Epidemiology, and Statistics. ..
- Prevalence and Epidemiology of Hepatitis E Virus in the United StatesKenrad Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Effectiveness of the TB Contact Priority ModelWilliam Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LUNG HEALTH STUDY--LONG TERM FOLLOW-UPWilliam Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2002..All ten of the original LHS clinical centers plan to participate. To minimize bias, all surviving participants of the LHS will be invited to participate, giving a potential sample size of 5600. ..
- Longitudinal Study of Respiratory Function in Aluminum Smelter WorkersMridu Gulati; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim 8. Develop multivariate models that include demographic data, smoking status and the exposures to predict decline in spirometric function and the incidence of obstructive lung disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Evaluation of the Control of HIV After a Prison Amnesty in TaiwanKenrad Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] The collaboration is between the Bloomberg School of Public Health of Johns Hopkins University and the Center for Disease Control in Taiwan. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV/TB in Uganda: Punctuated Antiretroviral TherapyChristopher Whalen; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- OZONE EFFECTS ON FUNCTION OF SURFACTANT PROTEIN VARIANTSJoanna Floros; Fiscal Year: 2010..Knowledge gained may help explain and perhaps link the in vitro data with the human genetic association data, and provide insight in the understanding of the value of the SP-A gene duplication. ..
- IMPACT OF TUBERCULOSIS OF HIV INFECTION IN UGANDAChristopher Whalen; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- TRANSMISSION DYNAMICS OF TB ALONG THE U.S.-MEXICO BORDERPeter Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, it will determine if rapid RFLP methods can contribute to TB control efforts. The knowledge gained will permit refinement of TB control strategies along the U.S.-Mexico border and in Latin America. ..
- THE EPIDEMIOLOGY OF HEPATITIS C INFECTION IN THAILANDKenrad Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Through the transfer of technology for HCV research to our collaborators, we hope to focus on understanding the biology and epidemiology of HCV and the development of more effective prevention of HCV. ..
- Cost-effective Screening in International AdopteesAnna Mandalakas; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the proposal will provide a key training opportunity to foster the candidate s career development as an epidemiologist with a commitment to patient oriented research. ..
- VALIDATION OF SCHOOL BASED ASTHMA SCREENING PROGRAMWilliam Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such screening procedures can lead to decreases in asthma morbidity and mortality by identifying children with undiagnosed asthma. ..
- Epidemiology of Hep E Virus Infections in BangladeshKenrad Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of IFN-gamma production in human tuberculosisPeter Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2009..CREB/ATF/AP-1 levels in T-cells of tuberculosis patients will be enhanced by viral expression vectors and nucleofection, and the effects on IFN-gamma production will be determined. ..
- Maternal HIV: Intervention to Assist Disclosure to ChildrenDebra Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2009..Few interventions, other than for prevention or medication adherence, are available for women living with HIV;this study will evaluate an intervention that will help HIV-positive mothers deal with a serious family issue. ..
- EVALUATION OF ADOPTIVE T CELL THERAPY FOR HIVDEBORAH LEWINSOHN; Fiscal Year: 2002..My long-term goal is to work in an academic medical center as a physician scientist with a primary focus on the immunopathogenesis of HIV infection. ..
- MEDICATION ADHERENCE INTERVENTION FOR HIV+ PERSONSDebra Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- The Role of surfactant protein genetic variants in cyst*Joanna Floros; Fiscal Year: 2005..aeruginosa and its clearance, and provide the basis for further consideration of novel therapeutic strategies to treat CF-related lung disease. ..
- CANCER AWARENESS NETWORK FOR IMMIGRANT MINORITY POPULATIFrancesca Gany; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- An HB Vaccine Model For HIV Vaccine Trials in Drug UsersLu Yu Hwang; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Impaired Glucose Metabolism in HIV-Infected Drug UsersAndrea Howard; Fiscal Year: 2007..She will also complete coursework in the conduct of diabetes-related clinical research, addiction medicine, and the responsible conduct of research. ..
- Tuberculosis Immunity in Young ChildrenDEBORAH LEWINSOHN; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies may contribute to a more complete understanding of TB immunity in young children, and hence 'facilitate the development of an improved TB vaccine for this vulnerable population. ..
- NK cells and IL-15 in the human innate immune response to tuberculosisPeter Barnes; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparison of Risk Factors for SIDS and Other Sudden Unexpected Deaths in InfancyFERN HAUCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..