ventilation perfusion ratio
Summary: The ratio of alveolar ventilation to simultaneous alveolar capillary blood flow in any part of the lung. (Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- Lung ventilation/perfusion SPECT in the artificially embolized pigMarika Bajc
Department of Clinical Physiology, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Nucl Med 43:640-7. 2002..The objective of this study was to compare planar lung scintigraphy with ventilation/perfusion SPECT using pigs with artificially engendered lung emboli labeled with (201)Tl...
- The bedside investigation of pulmonary embolism diagnosis study: a double-blind randomized controlled trial comparing combinations of 3 bedside tests vs ventilation-perfusion scan for the initial investigation of suspected pulmonary embolismMarc A Rodger
University of Ottawa, Ottawa Health Research Institute, and Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 166:181-7. 2006....
- Alveolar dead space and capnographic variables before and after thrombolysis in patients with acute pulmonary embolismMarcos Mello Moreira
Department of Surgery, State University of Campinas, School of Medical Sciences, Campinas, Brazil
Vasc Health Risk Manag 5:9-12. 2009..Lung scintigraphy was used to compare VCap results from the two subjects with VCap results from healthy volunteers and pigs before and after treatment associated with arterial blood gas, D-dimer, and showed satisfactory agreement...
- Impact of a rapid rule-out protocol for pulmonary embolism on the rate of screening, missed cases, and pulmonary vascular imaging in an urban US emergency departmentJeffrey A Kline
Department of Emergency Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28323 2861, USA
Ann Emerg Med 44:490-502. 2004..0% of patients with a negative protocol would have an adverse outcome...
- Validation of measurements of ventilation-to-perfusion ratio inequality in the lung from expired gasG Kim Prisk
Department of Medicine 0931, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 94:1186-92. 2003..We conclude that a useful noninvasive measurement of Va/Q inhomogeneity can be derived from the intrabreath respiratory exchange ratio...
- Carbon dioxide added late in inspiration reduces ventilation-perfusion heterogeneity without causing respiratory acidosisThomas V Brogan
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, 4800 Sand Point Way NE, CH 05, Seattle, WA 98105 0371, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:1894-8. 2004..21). In conclusion, we have established that the majority of the improvement in gas exchange efficiency with inspired CO2 can be achieved by limiting its application to the conducting airways and does not require systemic acidosis...
- CT and MR in pulmonary embolism: A changing role for nuclear medicine in diagnostic strategyHiroto Hatabu
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Semin Nucl Med 32:183-92. 2002..Nuclear medicine, CT, and MR thus form an imaging triad for the diagnosis of acute PE...
- [Unilateral pulmonary hypoperfusion secondary to bronchogenic carcinoma]G Ruíz Fernández
An Med Interna 19:326-7. 2002
- Bed rest versus ambulation in the initial treatment of patients with proximal deep vein thrombosisHugo Partsch
Wilhelminen Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Curr Opin Pulm Med 8:389-93. 2002..By counteracting against venous stasis, walking exercises and compression therapy have an important impact on the clinical outcome and should therefore be addressed in future studies...
- Spatial pattern of ventilation-perfusion mismatch following acute pulmonary thromboembolism in pigsJohn Y C Tsang
James Hogg iCAPTURE Research Laboratory, 1081 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6Z 1Y6
J Appl Physiol (1985) 98:1862-8. 2005..These low Va/Q units created by high flow, rather than low Va, accounted for most of the resultant hypoxemia...
- How to use a gestalt interpretation for ventilation-perfusion lung scintigraphyPetronella J Hagen
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 43:1317-23. 2002....
- Predicting the presence of acute pulmonary embolism: a comparative analysis of the artificial neural network, logistic regression, and threshold modelsJohn Eng
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins University, Central Radiology Viewing Area, Rm 117, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:869-74. 2002....
- Missed pneumothorax seen on ventilation-perfusion scanJustin Q Ly
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center, 759th MDTS MTRD, 2200 Bergquist Drive, Suite 1, San Antonio, TX 78236 5300, USA
Clin Nucl Med 27:725-6. 2002
- Venous thromboembolism: diagnosis and management of pulmonary embolismCindy H Lee
Department of Haematology, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, WA, Australia
Med J Aust 182:569-74. 2005....
- Chest radiograph as a triage tool in the imaging-based diagnosis of pulmonary embolismAditya Daftary
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine and Yale New Haven Hospital, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06504, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:132-4. 2005....
- Thrombolysis or heparin therapy in massive pulmonary embolism with right ventricular dilation: results from a 128-patient monocenter registryE Hamel
Intensive Care Unit and Cardiology D Department, Trousseau University Hospital, Tours, France
Chest 120:120-5. 2001..Appropriate therapy in such patients still remains unknown. Further prospective randomized trials should be performed...
- Diagnostic assessment of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolismGeno Merli
Jefferson Antithrombotic Therapy Service, Division of Internal Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Med 118:3S-12S. 2005..This review offers a clinical perspective on the accurate, routine diagnosis of VTE, including an overview of common clinical signs and symptoms, as well as the advantages and drawbacks of available diagnostic strategies...
- Diagnostic strategies for suspected pulmonary embolismA B Donkers-van Rossum
Dept of Radiology, Catharina Hospital Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 18:589-97. 2001..This review covers the performance of different diagnostic tests, and focuses on the advantages and limitations of single diagnostic tests and the clinical usefulness of these tests in diagnostic strategies...
- Pulmonary embolism--assessment and managementMegan Rees
Department of Allergy, Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Aust Fam Physician 34:555-61. 2005..Pulmonary embolism (PE) is a potentially life threatening disorder most commonly seen in debilitated patients with other common medical problems...
- Intermediate probability lung scans (IPLS): retrospective review of 82 casesW Y Wong
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Singapore Med J 42:450-4. 2001..Approximately half of IPLS cases will receive anticoagulation therapy. No mortality or PE was found on follow-up of patients who were not treated...
- Perfusion abnormalities in pulmonary embolism studied with perfusion MRI and ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy: an intra-modality and inter-modality agreement studyTore Amundsen
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Trondheim, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
J Magn Reson Imaging 15:386-94. 2002....
- Electron beam computed tomography and ventilation perfusion scintigraphy in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolismBeatrice I Kettner
Clinic for Nuclear Medicine, Charite Medical School, Humboldt University of Berlin, Luisenstrasse 6 8, 10098 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:585-90. 2002..It is concluded that there is a good correlation (82%) between V/Q scanning and electron beam CT on a patient-by-patient basis but a markedly less good correlation (62%) in a segment-based analysis...
- Introduction of helical computed tomography affects patient selection for V/Q lung scanG Zettinig
Universitätsklinik für Nuklearmedizin Wien
Nuklearmedizin 41:91-4. 2002..Retrospective analysis for determination of the effect of helical computed tomography (HCT) on utilization of V/Q lung scanning to diagnose pulmonary embolism (PE) in a large general hospital...
- Distribution of ventilation/perfusion ratios in pulmonary embolism: an adjunct to the interpretation of ventilation/perfusion lung scansEmmanuel Itti
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Henri Mondor Hospital, Paris XII University, Creteil, France
J Nucl Med 43:1596-602. 2002..This study proposes a quantitative analysis of the distribution of V/Q ratios to better identify patients with PE...
- Massive pulmonary embolism presenting as complete unilateral absence of lung perfusion on pulmonary scintigraphy: correlative imaging with angiography and computed tomographyNir Hod
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Nucl Med 28:34-6. 2003
- Spiral computed tomography for acute pulmonary embolismMelanie P Hiorns
Department of Radiology, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Can Assoc Radiol J 53:258-68. 2002..Hence, the introduction of spiral CT angiography of the pulmonary arteries has been greeted with enthusiasm...
- Clinical and radiographic features mimicking pulmonary embolism as the first manifestation of Takayasu's arteritisAmir Shlomai
Department of Medicine A, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, POB 12000, 91120, Jerusalem, Israel
Clin Rheumatol 23:470-2. 2004..Review of her medical records from 17 years ago revealed that similar symptoms and a positive V/P scan were the initial features of her disease...
- Radionuclide imaging of acute pulmonary embolismDaniel F Worsley
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC Division of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Semin Nucl Med 33:259-78. 2003..The combination of CT angiography and CT venography has the potential to provide a single comprehensive study of patients with suspected venous thromboembolism...
- Quantification of regional ventilation-perfusion ratios with PETMarcos F Vidal Melo
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
J Nucl Med 44:1982-91. 2003..This study aims to present a PET-based method to estimate regional alveolar ventilation-to-perfusion ratios (V(A)/Q) predictive of arterial blood gases...
- MR angiography with sensitivity encoding (SENSE) for suspected pulmonary embolism: comparison with MDCT and ventilation-perfusion scintigraphyYoshiharu Ohno
Department of Radiology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 2 Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:91-8. 2004..The diagnostic capability of each data set was analyzed on a per-vascular zone and a per-patient basis with the McNemar test...
- Pulmonary embolism diagnosis in hospitalized and intensive care unit patientsC G Elliott
Department of Medicine, LDS Hospital and University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84143, USA
Semin Vasc Med 1:205-12. 2001..Lung perfusion and ventilation scans combined with an assessment of pretest probability remain important objective tests for the evaluation of many hospitalized patients...
- Clinical utility of D-dimer in patients with suspected pulmonary embolism and nondiagnostic lung scans or negative CT findingsSuman W Rathbun
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73104, USA
Chest 125:851-5. 2004..We conducted a prospective cohort study that evaluated the clinical utility (usefulness) of an automated quantitative d-dimer test in the diagnosis of patients with suspected pulmonary embolism...
- Diagnostic strategies for suspected pulmonary embolism among outpatientsH Bounameaux
Division of Angiology and Hemostasis, University Hospital of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Semin Vasc Med 1:189-94. 2001..The results indicate that they should now be implemented in daily practice taking into account local facilities and expertise. The exact place of helical computed tomography in such sequential algorithms remains to be established...
- Clinicians' perceptions of the value of ventilation-perfusion scansAlan Siegel
Department of Radiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Clin Nucl Med 29:419-25. 2004..The goal of this investigation was to understand clinicians' perceptions of the probability of pulmonary embolism as a function of V/Q scan results of normal, low, intermediate, and high probability...
- Confirmation by spiral CT of a partially occlusive thrombus of the right pulmonary artery suggested by a V/Q lung scanPierre Payoux
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Purpan University Hospital, Toulouse, France
Clin Nucl Med 28:941-2. 2003..Had spiral computed tomography been done first, the diagnosis would have been made much more rapidly...
- Scintigraphic probability and angiographic diagnostic certainty in acute pulmonary embolismJean Lette
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Maisonneuve Rosemont Hospital Center, Montreal, QC, Canada
Clin Nucl Med 28:897-904. 2003....
- Tomographic evaluation for a 3-dimensional organHoward F Corbus
J Nucl Med 44:1543; author reply 1543. 2003
- The lung scan and the abnormal chest X-ray: difficult diagnosesJames A Scott
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nucl Med Commun 25:1137-41. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine whether a computer based scan analysis could assist clinical interpretation in this diagnostically difficult population...
- Automated lung outline reconstruction in ventilation-perfusion scans using principal component analysis techniquesG Serpen
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Comput Biol Med 33:119-42. 2003..The results obtained through MATLAB(TM) simulation indicated that lung outline reconstruction through the PCA approach carries significant viability...
- Use of computed tomography pulmonary angiography in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolismin patients with an intermediate probability ventilation/perfusion scanE Stone
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 33:74-8. 2003..Computed tomography pulmonary -angiography (CTPA) plays an increasingly important role in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism (PE). Although accurate in the detection of large PE, its accuracy in other patient groups is yet to be defined...
- Diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: when is imaging needed?Philip S Wells
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Suite F6 47, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4E9
Clin Chest Med 24:13-28. 2003..It is now possible to identify low-risk patients with suspected pulmonary embolism in whom imaging procedures can be avoided altogether...
- Non-invasive exclusion and diagnosis of pulmonary embolism by sequential use of the rapid ELISA D-dimer assay, clinical score and spiral CTJ J Michiels
Hemostasis Thrombosis Research, Department of Hematology, University Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Int Angiol 22:1-14. 2003..Therefore, a helical spiral CT can replace both the VP-scan and pulmonary angiography to safely rule in and out PE. A negative rapid ELISA VIDAS D-dimer test result will reduce the need for helical spiral CT by 25% to 35%...
- Acute pulmonary embolism due to hydatid cystCuneyt Turkmen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Turkey
Clin Nucl Med 29:760-1. 2004
- Venous thromboembolic disease: comparison of the diagnostic process in men and womenPaul D Stein
Department of Research, St Joseph Mercy Oakland Hospital, Pontiac, Michigan, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:1689-94. 2003..There has been concern that women may be limited to fewer major diagnostic tests than men. Whether this applies to patients with pulmonary embolism (PE) or deep venous thrombosis (DVT) has not been determined...
- Diagnostic evaluation of planar and tomographic ventilation/perfusion lung images in patients with suspected pulmonary emboliMarika Bajc
Center for Medical Imaging and Clinical Physiology, University Hospital Lund, 221 85 Lund, Sweden
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 24:249-56. 2004..V/P(SPET) is amenable to implementation for clinical routine and suitable even when there is demand for a high patient throughput...
- Pulmonary embolism: imaging modalities--V/Q scan, spiral (helical) CT, and MRIP Costello
Department of Raiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Semin Vasc Med 1:155-64. 2001..This article reviews the literature concerning V/Q scanning, spiral (helical) CT, and the future potential for magnetic resonance in the diagnosis of PE...
- Vascular and perfusion imaging using encapsulated laser-polarized heliumV Callot
Laboratoire de RMN, CNRS UMR 5012, , Batiment 308, 43 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918, 69622 Villeurbanne, France
MAGMA 12:16-22. 2001..Lung perfusion defects and recovery towards a normal perfusion state were visualized. This study was completed with the demonstration of a new ventilation-perfusion lung exploration method based entirely on HP 3He...
- Endothelin receptor blockade does not improve hypoxemia following acute pulmonary thromboembolismJohn Y C Tsang
James Hogg iCAPTURE Research Lab, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:762-71. 2007....
- Tidal volume dependency of gas exchange in bronchoconstricted pig lungsAxel Kleinsasser
Department of Medicine, Division of Physiology, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0623, USA
J Appl Physiol 103:148-55. 2007..However, our data do not allow exclusion of other mechanisms that may lead to improved ventilatory distribution when tidal volume is increased...
- Computed tomography of acute pulmonary embolismSharyn L S MacDonald
Department of Radiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 24:217-31. 2003..This review will discuss the use of spiral CT for acute PE, including scan acquisition parameters, radiation dose, diagnostic findings, interpretive pitfalls and the role of leg vein studies...
- Quantification of lung injury using ventilation and perfusion distributions obtained from gamma scintigraphyB S Brook
School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Physiol Meas 28:1451-64. 2007..05) but not in the median values (p > 0.05). There was no correlation between the mean, median and standard deviation of the distributions from the subjects with a PE and the percentage of damage present (p > 0.05)...
- Stripe sign in pulmonary embolism: a review of the causesEser Lay Ergun
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Nucl Med 17:145-8. 2003..She also had a stripe sign on the perfusion scan with normal ventilation. On the follow-up perfusion scintigraphy, normal perfusion was seen in the corresponding area. The literature on stripe sign is also reviewed...
- Diagnosis of pulmonary embolus using ventilation/perfusion lung scintigraphy: more than 0.5 segment of ventilation/perfusion mismatch is sufficientD M Howarth
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hunter Imaging Group, Pacific Medical Imaging, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Intern Med J 36:281-8. 2006..To determine the optimal diagnostic cut-off point using a simplified criterion for the detection of pulmonary embolus (PE) and to evaluate the criterion's utility and reporter reproducibility...
- What the nurse should know about the pulmonary systemApril Hart
Bethel College, USA
J Pract Nurs 56:6-7, 11-3; quiz 13-4. 2006..Illnesses of the pulmonary system may be minor or life threatening. It is very important for the nurse to be constantly aware of assessing a patient's respiratory status and limitations that may be present...
- Don't bury the V/Q scan: it's as good as multidetector CT angiograms with a lot less radiation exposureLeonard M Freeman
Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
J Nucl Med 49:5-8. 2008
- Objective analysis of whole lung and lobar ventilation/perfusion relationships in pulmonary embolismBenjamin Harris
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, Sydney, Australia
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 28:14-26. 2008..We investigate this methodology using simulated data, and demonstrate its potential application in the clinical setting of PE...
- The effects of excessive humidityR B Williams
Fisher and Paykel Healthcare, Auckland, New Zealand
Respir Care Clin N Am 4:215-28. 1998..To safely avoid the risk that this higher temperature may accidentally reach the patient and cause an injury, the average gas temperature at the wye should restricted to less than 43 degrees..
- Ventilation-perfusion ratio in perflubron during partial liquid ventilationAlexander Wigbert K Scholz
Department of Anesthesiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Anesth Analg 110:1661-8. 2010..We investigated this approach by numerical simulations and applied it to quantify local Va/Q in the perfluorocarbons during partial liquid ventilation...
- Mechanisms underlying gas exchange alterations in an experimental model of pulmonary embolismJ H T Ferreira
Departamento de Cirurgia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 39:1197-204. 2006..We were also able to demonstrate that V Aeff/Q progressively improves after embolization, a fact attributed to the alveolar ventilation redistribution induced by hypocapnic bronchoconstriction...
- [The lung in heart diseases]V Sill
Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wandsbeck, Hamburg
Pneumologie 44:121-6. 1990..Diminished pulmonary function parameters that fail to adequate respond to bronchodilators may be an expression of left ventricular failure...
- The respiratory system in varanid lizards: determinants of O(2) transferPeter B Frappell
Department of Zoology, La Trobe University, Melbourne, VIC 3086, Australia
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 133:239-58. 2002..Compensatory changes occur in various parameters to offset those parameters that are 'limited'. The high aerobic activity of varanid lizards would not be achievable without a compensated circulatory convection...
- Physiological changes in respiratory function associated with ageingJ P Janssens
Dept of Geriatrics, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 13:197-205. 1999..Furthermore, decreased perception bronchoconstriction and diminished physical activity may result in lesser awareness of the disease and delayed diagnosis...
- Hydroxyethyl starch normalizes platelet and leukocyte adhesion within pulmonary microcirculation during LPS-induced endotoxemiaSebastian Küpper
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Department of General Surgery, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Shock 28:300-8. 2007..Fluid therapy with HES 6% seems to have restorative effects on these cellular functions within the pulmonary microcirculation...
- [Prone position in the adult respiratory distress syndrome]M B Bengoechea Ibarrondo
Enfermera banda 6, Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, Inglaterra
Enferm Intensiva 19:86-96. 2008....
- Nitric oxide in health and disease from the point of view of the otorhinolaryngologistErol Selimoglu
Ataturk University, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Erzurum, Turkey
Curr Pharm Des 11:3051-60. 2005..Although NO has an ever-increasing role in various areas related to the practice of otolaryngology, further research is required to understand fully the role of NO in the upper airways...
- Pumpless extracorporeal lung assist for protective mechanical ventilation in experimental lung injuryRolf Dembinski
Department of Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, and Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Crit Care Med 35:2359-66. 2007....
- Airway chemotransduction: from oxygen sensor to cellular effectorPaul J Kemp
School of Biomedical Sciences and Institute for Cardiovascular Research, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:S17-24. 2002....
- Nimodipine-induced acute hypoxemia: case reportJ W Devlin
Department of Pharmacy, Wayne State University, Detroit Receiving Hospital, Michigan 48201, USA
Neurosurgery 47:1243-6; discussion 1246-7. 2000..This case report describes a patient with traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage who experienced two episodes of previously undescribed, life-threatening hypoxemia that was directly related to nimodipine therapy...
- Bullectomy is comparable to lung volume reduction in patients with end-stage emphysemaTiziano De Giacomo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Policlinico Umberto I, V le Policlinico, 00161 Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:357-62. 2002..There is some evidence that in patients with end-stage emphysema bullectomy and lung volume reduction work in the same manner and yield similar functional results...
- Adenosine 5'-monophosphate in asthma: gas exchange and sputum cellular responsesH A Manrique
Servei de Pneumologia Institut del Tòrax, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Respir J 31:1205-12. 2008..The fully inhibited adenosine 5'-monophosphate-induced neutrophilia with residual hypoxaemia observed after salbutamol treatment is probably related to beta(2)-agonists acting on both bronchial and pulmonary circulation...
- [Assessment of pulmonary ventilation/perfusion ratio by dual radionuclides SPECT using 81mKr gas and 99mTc-MAA]Y Sando
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Gunma University School of Medicine, Japan
Kaku Igaku 31:1209-18. 1994..Further, SD determined by this examination is thought to be a good parameter of uneven distribution of pulmonary ventilation and perfusion...
- Nifedipine inhibits the effects of almitrine in patients suffering from pulmonary artery hypertension secondary to chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseA Saadjian
Department of Cardiology, CHU Nord, I N S E R M, Marseille, France
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 21:797-803. 1993..In COPD patients, nifedipine inhibits almitrine-induced pulmonary vasoconstriction...
- Pulmonary gas exchange is not impaired 24 h after extravehicular activityG Kim Prisk
Division of Physiology, Dept of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0931, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:2233-8. 2005..The results suggest that current denitrogenation protocols do not result in any major lasting alteration to gas exchange in the lung...
- Closing volume influences the postural effect on oxygenation in unilateral lung diseaseK H Choe
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:1957-62. 2000..597, p = 0.015). This study has shown that closing volume, as well as posture, might be involved in determining oxygenation in lateral recumbency in patients with unilateral lung disease...
- [Dual-energy data acquisition for simultaneous 81mKr ventilation/99mTc-MAA perfusion SPECT: ventilation/perfusion ratio mapping in cross section]N Honda
Department of Radiology, Saitama Medical Center, Saitama Medical School
Kaku Igaku 30:789-94. 1993..Examination time was about 40 minutes, and the V/Q ratio maps in cross section were obtained in all of the examinations...
- [Effect of smoking on PaO2 at rest and during moderate exercise]S Ouattara
Laboratoire de Physiologie de I U F R des Sciences Médicales BP V 166 Abidjan, Cote d lvoire
Dakar Med 47:90-5. 2002..Thus, the smokers' PaO2 deterioration concerned together its value and its variation in comparison with age...
- Exercise-induced arterial hypoxemiaJ A Dempsey
John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 87:1997-2006. 1999....
- [Intraoperative changes in arterial end tidal CO2 partial pressure difference in interventions with constant ventilation-perfusion ratio]T Hillen
Forschungsgruppe am Evangelischen Geriatrie Zentrum Berlin EGZB
Anaesthesiol Reanim 24:37-40. 1999..For these procedures an initial measurement of the P(a-et)CO2 in patients with lung disease should be sufficient. In pulmonary healthy subjects the P(a-et)CO2 seems to be negligible...
- Generation of parametric images during routine Tc-99m PYP inhalation/Tc-99m MAA perfusion lung scintigraphy. Technical noteS D Miron
Department of Radiology, MetroHealth Medical Center Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44109
Clin Nucl Med 16:501-5. 1991..These images highlight areas of ventilation/perfusion incongruence--mismatch or reverse mismatch--that may sometimes be difficult to detect on conventional images...
- Effect of exercise intensity on the changes in alveolar slopes of carbon dioxide and oxygen expiratory profiles in humansJ M Steinacker
Abt Sport und Rehabilitationsmedizin, Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Germany
Eur J Appl Physiol 85:56-61. 2001..CO2 exchange, whereas the more rapid rate of change in PAO2 in 3 of the subjects may have reflected the development of an increased distribution of the ventilation perfusion ratio in addition to the effects of hyperventilation.
- [Resuscitation: CAB versus ABC]B T J Meursing
Canisius Wilhelmina Ziekenhuis, afd Cardiologie, Postbus 9015, 6500 GS Nijmegen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:483-9. 2003..They concern improvement of the ventilation-perfusion ratio with the first heart massage, oxygenation of the blood in the lung capillaries, improvement of the circulation and the palpability of pulses...
- Effect of neuroleptanaesthesia on VA/Q distribution and pulmonary shuntB Maldini
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Institute for Mother and Child Health, Zagreb
Acta Med Croatica 49:15-20. 1995..This is of special importance, because hypoxemia, occurring as a result of changes in the ventilation-perfusion ratio and pulmonary shunt, seriously endangers the patient's fate during surgery...
- Hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction: mechanisms and controversiesPhilip I Aaronson
Department of Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Science, New Hunt s House, Guy s Hospital Campus, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, UK
J Physiol 570:53-8. 2006..In this brief review, we highlight selected recent findings and ongoing controversies which continue to animate the study of this remarkable and unique response of the pulmonary vasculature to hypoxia...
- Inhaled nitric oxide and acute lung injuryD M Payen
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Clin Chest Med 21:519-29, ix. 2000..Because of the inhaled NO uptake by the lung, the extra vascular lung effects might be in the future the most important development in relation with platelet anti-agregant and anti-inflammatory properties...
- Hyperpolarized helium-3 gas magnetic resonance imaging of the lungHans Ulrich Kauczor
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Top Magn Reson Imaging 14:223-30. 2003..The clinical significance of the increase in sensitivity and sensitivity associated with 3He MRI is yet to be determined...
- Pulmonary gas exchange in coronary artery surgery patients during sevoflurane and isoflurane anesthesiaAlexander Loeckinger
Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, The Leopold Franzens University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:1107-12, table of contents. 2002..We conclude that both sevoflurane and isoflurane alter the distribution of perfusion in the lung, but only sevoflurane significantly depresses PaO(2)...
- Pressure-controlled ventilation improves oxygenation during laparoscopic obesity surgery compared with volume-controlled ventilationP Cadi
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Unit, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 20 40, rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex 15, France
Br J Anaesth 100:709-16. 2008..We compared pressure and volume-controlled ventilation (PCV and VCV) in morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic gastric banding surgery...
- Elucidation of structure-function relationships in the lung: contributions from hyperpolarized 3helium MRIHans Ulrich Kauczor
Departments of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Clin Physiol Funct Imaging 22:361-9. 2002..Thus, pulmonary perfusion, ventilation /perfusion ratio and oxygen uptake can be indirectly assessed. Further research will determine the significance of the functional information with regard to physiology and patient management...
- A comparison of the end-tidal-CO2 documented by capnometry and the arterial pCO2 in emergency patientsG Prause
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Graz, Austria
Resuscitation 35:145-8. 1997....
- PaCO(2)/ETCO(2) gradient: early indicator of thrombolysis efficacy in a massive pulmonary embolismF Thys
Service des Urgences, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, , Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Resuscitation 49:105-8. 2001..With these limitations, we conclude that the P(a-ET)CO(2) gradient should be evaluated as an indicator of pulmonary reperfusion in massive pulmonary embolism...
- Cause of regional ventilation-perfusion mismatching in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a combined CT and scintigraphic studyN H Strickland
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 161:719-25. 1993....
- Inhalation of crack cocaine can mimic pulmonary embolismSiva Ramachandaran
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Nucl Med 29:756-7. 2004
- Teaching ventilation/perfusion relationships in the lungRobb W Glenny
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Adv Physiol Educ 32:192-5. 2008..Finally, use clinically relevant examples at each step and solidify new concepts by discussing differential diagnoses at the end of the lecture(s)...
- The multiple inert gas elimination technique (MIGET)Peter D Wagner
Division of Physiology, Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0623A, USA
Intensive Care Med 34:994-1001. 2008..An overview of the technical details of implementing MIGET is given, and the review ends with potential future applications...
- [Evaluation of thrombolytic therapy by pulmonary radionuclide perfusion imaging in patients with acute pulmonary thromboembolism]Wei Fang
Fuwai Cardiovascular Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi 26:77-80. 2003..To assess the change of pulmonary perfusion after thrombolytic therapy in patients with acute pulmonary embolism...
- Longitudinal analysis of perfusion lung scintigrams of patients with unoperated chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertensionNika Skoro-Sajer
Department of Cardiology, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cardiovascular Research, Vienna, Austria
Thromb Haemost 92:201-7. 2004..Lung perfusion scintigrams analyzed by a semi-quantitative method in patients with severe unoperated CTEPH show an apparent decrease of segmental flow abnormalities over time, paralleling right ventricular decline...
- Perfluorocarbon and accuracy of tidal volume estimationKevin Morris
Crit Care Med 31:2081-2. 2003
- Evaluation of the ventilation-perfusion ratio in lung diseases by simultaneous anterior and posterior image acquisitionY Nakata
Department of Radiology, Osaka Medical College, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 8:269-76. 1994..Simultaneous anterior and posterior planar image acquisition reduces the examining time, is simple, and is noninvasive. The present results also suggest that it is useful for quantitative evaluation of the ventilation-perfusion ratio...
- Outpatient tinzaparin therapy in pulmonary embolism quantified with ventilation/perfusion scintigraphyCarl Gustav Olsson
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Lund, Lund, Sweden
Med Sci Monit 12:PI9-13. 2006....
- Helical CT for the evaluation of acute pulmonary embolismSmita Patel
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, TC2910D, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0326, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:135-49. 2005..In this article, we review the current role of CT pulmonary angiography and indirect CT venography for the evaluation of pulmonary thromboembolic disease...
- Correlation between ventilation and perfusion determines VA/Q heterogeneity in endotoxemiaA J Gerbino
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 88:1933-42. 2000..We conclude that VA/Q heterogeneity increases during endotoxemia primarily as a result of the decrease in correlation between regional ventilation and perfusion, which is in turn determined primarily by changes in perfusion...
- VENTILATION PERFUSION DISTRIBUTION IN THE LUNGMICHAEL HLASTALA; Fiscal Year: 1999This proposal represents a continuation of the past 27 years of research into the mechanisms of ventilation perfusion ratio distribution in the lungs...
- Influence of spatial patterns of ventilation &perfusion on gas exchange in COPDANGELA CORTNEY HENDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..The aims of COPDGene are highly synergistic with this proposal, thus allowing for characterization of the subtypes of COPD based on physiological mechanisms. ..
- Influence of spatial patterns of ventilation & perfusion on gas exchange in COPDAngela Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- IMPROVEMENT IN REGIONAL VENTILATION-PERFUSION RESOLUTIONRichard Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- EPITHELIUM AND BRONCHIAL REACTIVITYPaul Vanhoutte; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- Surrogate markers for Severe Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will determine if criteria that are widely and immediately available in most hospitals can be used to risk-stratify severity of PE and to clarify the role of nonmalignant thrombophilias on the prognosis of PE. ..
- Expired CO2/O2 Analysis to Diagnose Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will fund a clinical study designed to test the diagnostic accuracy of a hand- held breath device that detects the altered gas exchange physiology caused by PE in post-surgical and other patients at high risk for PE. ..
- Pretest Probability Assessment for Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..In phase III, we will test the validity of the PE PREtest Consult TM and determine if the use of the PE PREtest ConsultTM will decrease unnecessary testing for PE. ..
- Lung Perfusion Heterogeneity and Mechanisms of EdemaSusan R Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Physiological Consequences of Hypoxia and Lung DiseasePeter Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- HYPOXIC PULMONARY VASOCANSTRICTION AND RED BLOOD CELLSSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- The Effect of Pulmonary Interstitial Edema on Gas ExchangeG Prisk; Fiscal Year: 2009..3) Define and quantify the relationship between alterations in the heterogeneity of pulmonary blood flow and lung water content using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and X-ray techniques. ..
- Red Blood Cells, Nitric Oxide and Pulmonary CirculationSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Pulmonary Vascular Tree Development, Growth & RemodlingRobb Glenny; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will fill important gaps in our knowledge of pulmonary vascular development and triggers of remodeling. ..
- Deposition of 0.5 to 2 Micron Aerosol in the Human LungG Prisk; Fiscal Year: 2003..5 to 1 micron). Such information will provide a much-improved basis for the assessment of exposure to small inhaled particles both in long duration spaceflight and on Earth. ..
- Effects of lung water on mechanics and blood flowAngela Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Compact, low-maintenance MRI system for animal lung imagingDEAN KUETHE; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Phase II, we will integrate the permanent magnet with compact electronics to create a prototype small animal imaging system. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Infrastructure and Applications of Hyperpolarized 129XeSamuel Patz; Fiscal Year: 2006..A polarizer will be built, sited and supported at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Animal and human studies are proposed to demonstrate the structural and functional information 129Xe MRI can provide. ..
- Validation of regional ventilation & perfusion and PA02 with a gold standardMasaru Ishii; Fiscal Year: 2008..Key Words: Polarized Gas MRI; Regional Ventilation; Regional Perfusion; Pegional PAO2 [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quantification of Regional Myocardial Oxygenation by MRIJie Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2008..Ultimately, the proposed methods may facilitate more comprehensive MRI assessments of CAD and other cardiac diseases. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..SA3 will compare local measurements of recruitment by PET with the global measures of recruitment by NO uptake kinetics and lung mechanics. ..
- Regional Hypoxic Pulmonary VasoconstrictionMICHAEL HLASTALA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of the research will provide a more detailed understanding of the local and cellular mechanisms responsible for HPVR heterogeneity and mechanisms of development of disease in the mammalian lung. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ventilator-Induced Lung Injury:Mechanisms & ConsequencesScott Sinclair; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 3A: Document cyclical airway collapse and reopening via changes in regional ventilation distribution. Aim 3B: Validate a method to estimate appropriate PEEP level to prevent cyclical airway collapse. ..
- NMR IMAGING OF INERT FLUORINATED GASES IN LUNGSDEAN KUETHE; Fiscal Year: 2002..With this second aim, we will advance inert fluorinated gas imaging beyond a development and demonstration stage to a new research tool that provides previously unavailable data to medical research. ..
- GAS EXCHA03NGE IMAGING IN THE LUNG USING MRISamuel Patz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Early detection of the loss of alveolar surface area is a serious public health imperative, since chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is now the Th leading cause of death in the US. ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX-IIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) The team of investigators is strong, and has collaborated previously in successful research in PE. ..
- Prospective Investigation for Pulmonary Embolism Dx IIIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Dose and image quality in adult and pediatric CTWalter Huda; Fiscal Year: 2006..Determine the choice of kVp/mAs and PR/mAs that minimize patient doses with no loss of diagnostic performance. 3. Help the Radiology community to balance the confliciting requirements of image quality and patient doses in clinical CT. ..
- MANAGEMENT OF PATIENTS WITH SUSPECTED PULMONARY EMBOLISHSuman Rathbun; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- V & Q Disturbances in Obliterative BronchiolitisDavid Lipson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- SITES OF ACTION OF INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS ON HPVJames Baumgardner; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the sites of anesthetic action is of fundamental importance but may also lead to improved patient management. ..
- Strategies to Prevent COPD ExacerbationFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..