maximal expiratory flow volume curves
Summary: Curves depicting MAXIMAL EXPIRATORY FLOW RATE, in liters/second, versus lung inflation, in liters or percentage of lung capacity, during a FORCED VITAL CAPACITY determination. Common abbreviation is MEFV.
Publications134 found, 100 shown here
- Area under the maximum expiratory flow-volume curve--a sensitive parameter in the evaluation of airway patencyAlois Zapletal
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Motol, Prague, Czech Republic
Respiration 75:40-7. 2008..The most frequently used parameters for assessing bronchoconstriction and bronchodilation are forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV(1)) and peak expiratory flow (PEF)...
- [Respiratory function tests in children aged 3-6 years with cystic fibrosis: indications and execution]M N Lebras-Isabet
Service de Gastroenterologie, Mucoviscidose et Nutrition Pédiatriques Pr Cezard, CRCM, Hopital Robert Debre, 48 Boulevard Serurier, 75019 Paris
Rev Pneumol Clin 63:313-8. 2007
- [Bacterial pathogens in sputum and degree of bronchial obstruction in patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Marco Biagini
Unità Operativa Pneumologia, Ospedale S Donato, USL 8, Arezzo
Recenti Prog Med 93:470-3. 2002..The association between the lowest values of FEV1 in stable clinical conditions and the isolation of BN in sputum during AECB could be useful in the choice of the empiric antibiotic therapy during exacerbations...
- Effect of body posture on dynamic lung functions in young non-obese Indian subjectsA Talwar
Department of Physiology, Pt B D Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak 124001
Indian J Med Sci 56:607-12. 2002..Thus, measurement of FVL in supine posture may be used to detect UAO as it may be missed if spirometry is performed in sitting posture...
- A model-based method for flow limitation analysis in the heterogeneous human lungAdam G Polak
Chair of Electronic and Photonic Metrology, Wrocław University of Technology, Wrocław, Poland
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 89:123-31. 2008..Turbulent dissipation, however, may play a significant role as a supporting factor in transition between wave-speed and viscous flow limitation...
- [Usefulness of ventilation tests in the diagnosis and evaluation of treatment results in select laryngeal diseases]Maciej Misiołek
Katedra i Oddział Kliniczny Laryngologii w Zabrzu Sl AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 59:565-9. 2005..In conclusion the great role of ventilation tests was emphasized, especially in diagnosis of the narrowing on the larynx and trachea level and also in evaluation of the results after surgical procedures on upper airways...
- The maximum expiratory flow-volume loop in natives of Ladakh and acclimatized lowlandersChandrashekhar V Apte
MIMER Medical College, Talegaon Dabhade, District Pune, India
High Alt Med Biol 6:209-14. 2005..1.06 (0.35) L/s, p = 0.0001]. The exact mechanisms allowing the higher flow rates at low lung volumes remain to be elucidated, but it is possible that these findings may indicate an inherited adaptive response in the Ladakhi highlander...
- [Evaluation of a new method for detection of obstructive disease in children asthma: the negative expiratory pressure (NEP)]P Forey
Service de Pediatrie, CHU Morvan, 29609 Brest Cedex, France
Arch Pediatr 12:1338-43. 2005..To take in charge of an asthmatic child it is necessary to evaluate the lung function...
- [Pulmonary function tests in patients with rheumatoid arthritis]Yoshiaki Tanaka
Department of Allergology and Immunological Diseases, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 63:371-4. 2005
- Randomized controlled trial of salbutamol aerosol therapy via metered dose inhaler-spacer vs. jet nebulizer in young children with wheezingJ Deerojanawong
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology and Critical Care, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Pediatr Pulmonol 39:466-72. 2005..However, salbutamol aerosol therapy via jet nebulizer significantly increased the heart rate when compared to the MDI-spacer...
- [Comparison of pulmonary function of asthma children determined with impulse oscillometry and maximal expiratory flow-volume curve]Li Xiang
Zhonghua Er Ke Za Zhi 41:52-3. 2003
- Should flow-volume loop be monitored in sleep apnea patients treated with continuous positive airway pressure?Marcel Bonay
Service de Physiologie Explorations Fonctionnelles, Hôpital Louis Mourier AP HP, 178, rue des Renouillers, Colombes 92700, France
Respir Med 97:830-4. 2003..Moreover, bronchial hyperresponsiveness occurred in five of 22 patients of this group. These results suggest that tolerance of nCPAP should be handled by long-term follow-up of flow-volume loops...
- [Evaluation of respiratory function in the elderly]E Orvoen-Frija
Service de physiologie explorations fonctionnelles respiratoires, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI, France
Rev Mal Respir 24:789-90. 2007
- [Prediction of exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients on the basis of maximum expiratory flow-volume curve]Marzena Trzaska-Sobczak
Katedra i Klinika Pneumonologii, Slaska Akademia Medyczna w Katowicach, Katowice, Poland
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:213-8. 2007....
- Correlation of spirometry and symptom scores in childhood asthma and the usefulness of curvature assessment in expiratory flow-volume curvesJohannes H Wildhaber
Institute of Fluid Dynamics, ML H 35, Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule ETH, The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Sonneggstrasse 3, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Respir Care 52:1744-52. 2007..Therefore, some clinicians subjectively assess the presence of curvature in the maximum expiratory flow-volume (MEFV) curves obtained from spirometry, where concave patterns are observable despite normal FEV(1) values...
- Respiratory findings in tobacco workersJadranka Mustajbegovic
Andrija Stampar School of Public Health, Zagreb, Croatia
Chest 123:1740-8. 2003..To screen for respiratory symptoms and lung function impairment in workers occupationally exposed to tobacco dust in a tobacco-processing plant...
- Maximal expiratory flow at FRC (V'maxFRC): Methods of selection and differences in reported valuesAnastassios C Koumbourlis
Pediatric Pulmonary Division, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 37:318-23. 2004....
- Accounting for flow dependence of respiratory resistance during exerciseClaire de Bisschop
Laboratoire d Analyse de la Performance Motrice Humaine, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, UPRES EA 2253, 4 Allée Jean Monnet, 86000 Poitiers, France
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 136:65-76. 2003..The relative decrease in Rrs with exercise suggests bronchodilation. The bronchodilating effect disappeared promptly when exercise was stopped suggesting that it may have been related to a reflex mechanism...
- [What is the status of oral corticotherapy in asthma?]Pascal Chanez
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5
Rev Prat 55:1340-1. 2005
- Respiratory mechanics and maximal expiratory flow in the anesthetized mouseY L Lai
Department of Physiology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Appl Physiol (1985) 88:939-43. 2000....
- Tidal expiratory flow limitation and chronic dyspnoea in patients with cystic fibrosisD Goetghebeur
Unité d Explorations Fonctionelles Respiratoires, Service de Pneumologie, Universite de Bretagne Occidentale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Brest, France
Eur Respir J 19:492-8. 2002..The conventional method for assessing expiratory flow limitation is not reliable and bronchodilator administration has little effect on expiratory flow limitation...
- Mid-term survival after abdominal aortic aneurysm surgery predicted by cardiopulmonary exercise testingJ Carlisle
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Torbay Hospital, Torquay TQ2 7AA, UK
Br J Surg 94:966-9. 2007..This study aimed to determine whether preoperative CPX testing predicted postoperative survival following elective abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair...
- Supramaximal flow in asthmatic patientsH Sala
Posadas Hospital, El Palomar, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eur Respir J 19:1003-7. 2002..The results of this study suggest that in asthmatic patients participation of "pendelluft" in SF increases as airflow limitation increases...
- [A case of relapsing polychondritis monitored by repeated measurements of flow-volume curve]Takashi Niju
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nishinomiya Municipal Central Hospital
Nihon Kokyuki Gakkai Zasshi 46:220-5. 2008..In this case, monitoring of flow-volume curve was useful for the evaluation of airway complication in relapsing polychondritis...
- Reference values of pulmonary diffusing capacity during exercise by a rebreathing techniqueC C Hsia
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9034, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 152:658-65. 1995..We conclude that QC is the most important determinant of the recruitment of diffusing capacity. From rest to near-maximal exercise, DLCO, DMCO, and VC increase linearly with respect to QC without evidence of reaching a plateau...
- [Changes of tangent time constant in the transformation of F-V curve configuration in COPD and cor pulmonale patients and clinical implications]G Huang
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, WCUMS, Chengdu 610041, China
Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 32:101-3. 2001..The convenience and correctness of the method may be available for clinical application...
- Passive expiratory flow-volume curve is not an accurate method to measure the respiratory time constant in rabbitsR Vialet
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, , Marseille, France
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 43:1017-20. 1999..CONCLUSIONS: The end-inspiratory occlusion technique leads to a systemic bias in measurements of respiratory time constant, especially when the resistance of the respiratory system is elevated...
- Forced expiratory manoeuvres in children: do they meet ATS and ERS criteria for spirometry?H G Arets
Dept of Paediatric Pulmonology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 18:655-60. 2001..However, most of their MEFV curves are useful for interpretation. Based on the performance of these children, a re-evaluation of criteria for maximal expiratory flow/volume measurements in children is proposed...
- An epidemiological study of the health of Sri Lankan tea plantation workers associated with long term exposure to paraquatN Senanayake
Faculty of Medicine, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Br J Ind Med 50:257-63. 1993..The results of this study confirmed that long term spraying of paraquat, at the concentrations used, produced no adverse health effects, in particular no lung damage, attributable to the occupational use of the herbicide...
- [The utility of the flow-volume curve in detecting fixed extrathoracic stenoses in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]J L Izquierdo Alonso
, Hospital Universitario de Guadalajara
Arch Bronconeumol 32:216-21. 1996..We conclude that the flow-volume curve may not detect the existence of upper airways obstruction in COPD, and that in the most severely affected patients alternative diagnostic methods should therefore be considered...
- Respiratory symptoms and pulmonary function in flour processing workers in the baking industryM H Shamssain
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Transkei, Unitra, Umtata, Southern Africa
Am J Ind Med 27:359-65. 1995..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- The best peak expiratory flow is flow-limited and effort-independent in normal subjectsClaudio Tantucci
Clinica di Medicina Interna, Universita di Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:1304-8. 2002....
- Dependence of maximal flow-volume curves on time course of preceding inspiration in patients with chronic obstruction pulmonary diseaseE Prandi
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, , Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 150:1581-6. 1994..Other factors (e.g., time constant inequality) might also be involved. In any case, the results imply that the inspiratory maneuver prior to FVC must be standardized...
- New model-based indices for maximum expiratory flow-volume curve in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseO Barnea
Biomedical Engineering Department, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Comput Biol Med 26:123-31. 1996..Further studies in larger groups of patients are required to better define the true predictive value of the new indices described for the diagnosis of COPD...
- Estimation of ventilatory capacity during submaximal exerciseT G Babb
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
J Appl Physiol 74:2016-22. 1993..These data suggest that this technique may be useful in estimating ventilatory capacity, which could then be used to evaluate ventilatory reserve during exercise...
- Small airways function in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseN Tzanakis
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Medical School University of Crete, Greece
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 157:382-6. 1998..05). This may indicate that lung parenchyma is also involved in active IBD. Our results suggest that the function of the small airways and diffusion capacity of the lungs are affected in patients with IBD...
- [Comparative study of ventilatory functions of smokers with MTTp and F-V curve configuration]G Huang
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, WCUMS, Chengdu 610041
Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 30:50-3. 1999..The value of MTTp calculated with "convenient calculation" is accurate and easy-to-do so the method is appropriate for clinical application...
- Changes in pulmonary function and cross-sectional area of trachea and bronchi in asthmatics following inhalation of procaterol hydrochloride and ipratropium bromideV Hoffstein
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 149:81-5. 1994..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- [The control of respiration in pulmonary fibrosis. The effect of O2 and CO2]S Launois
, , Paris
Rev Mal Respir 8:67-73. 1991..This normal ventilation results from hyperactivity of the respiratory centre, as in the hyperventilation induced by carbon dioxide when at rest...
- Effect of age on changes in flow rates and airway conductance after a deep breathR B Berry
Department of Medicine, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Long Beach 90822
J Appl Physiol 68:635-43. 1990....
- The dose-response slope: a useful method for expressing the results of methacholine provocation tests in healthy subjects?O P Seppälä
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Turku, Finland
Respir Med 85:365-71. 1991..However, DRSFEV1 had clearly wider limits of agreement and CIsm than DRSAEFV. Also, with DRSFEV1 the observations of the two days differed significantly more from each other than with DRSAEFV (P less than 0.05)...
- Tidal breath flow-volume curves in obstructive sleep apneaR A Kayaleh
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Orange 92668
Am Rev Respir Dis 145:1372-7. 1992..We believe this positional change in TBFVC reflects upper airway functional narrowing induced by assumption of supine position and decreasing airflow rates...
- [The bronchodilator effect of aerosol beta-2-mimetic and anticholinergic agents in patients with chronic bronchitis]R Vestri
Service de Pneumologie Allergologie, CHU Nord, Marseille
Rev Mal Respir 7:59-63. 1990..Some patients responded to bronchodilators, others uniquely to one of the two products and finally some to neither. Without reversibility tests it is not possible to predict the response to atropine from the response to beta-2-mimetics...
- Peak expiratory flow at altitudeP S Thomas
Clinical Research Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow
Thorax 45:620-2. 1990..Measurements of PEF made at altitude with the mini Wright meter should be corrected by adding 6.6% per 100 mm Hg drop in barometric pressure...
- Changes in airflow obstruction and oxygen saturation in response to exercise and bronchodilators in cystic fibrosisP I Macfarlane
Respiratory Unit, Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital Alder Hey, England
Pediatr Pulmonol 8:4-11. 1990..We did not observe any clinically important deleterious effects from this mechanism...
- Use of maximal expiratory flows to evaluate central airways obstruction in infantsR S Tepper
Department of Pulmonology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis 46223
Pediatr Pulmonol 6:272-4. 1989..The PEFV curve adds to our physiologic assessment of the severity of the central airway obstruction in infants and to the efficacy of our therapeutic intervention...
- Spirometry and flow-volume curve in patients with obstructive sleep apneaMohammad Ashraf
Sleep Disorders Center, Department of Medicine, King Saud University, PO Box 225503, Riyadh 11324, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 29:198-202. 2008..To assess the prevalence of spirometric abnormalities in obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) patients and its clinical utility in diagnosing OSA...
- [A case of early mucoepidermoid carcinoma arising from the left upper bronchus and presenting the flow-volume curve as a manner of extra-thoracic airway obstruction]H Kobayashi
Department of Respiratory Disease, Saiseikai Utsunomiya Hospital, Tochigi
Nihon Kyobu Shikkan Gakkai Zasshi 30:1554-7. 1992..Sleeve lobectomy was performed, and the tumor was proved to be early lung cancer of hilar type with extension limited to the bronchial wall...
- [Lung function measurements with portable spirometers in children]C Casaulta Aebischer
, , Inselspital, Bern
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:503-7. 2002..The curve configuration enables diagnosis and allows assessment of the patient's cooperation. The readings are then used for quantifying analysis...
- Influence of a fibrothorax on the flow/volume curveC T Bolliger
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Stellenbosch Medical School, Tygerberg, South Africa
Respiration 54:197-200. 1988..These changes caused by 'entrapment' of the lungs are described and illustrated by means of a case report of a patient with bilateral fibrothorax caused by bilateral tuberculous pleural effusions...
- Effects of increasing doses of beta-agonists on airway and parenchymal hysteresisY T Wang
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115
J Appl Physiol 68:363-8. 1990..These data support the relative hysteresis analysis of airway and parenchyma as an explanation for volume history effects on airway caliber...
- Maximal expiratory flow volume curve in quarry workersArcot Sadagopa Subhashini
Department of Physiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai 600 116
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 46:78-84. 2002..The effects are probably due to smoking rather than dust exposure...
- A survey of the current use and methods of analysis of bronchoprovocational challengesG C Scott
Department of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia Hospital and Clinics, Columbia 65212
Chest 100:322-8. 1991..The most common provocative agent utilized was methacholine (62 percent) and the most used delivery mode was a dosimeter (55 percent)...
- Maximal expiratory and inspiratory flow-volume curves in Parkinson's diseaseJ M Bogaard
Department of Pulmonary Disease, University Hospital Dijkzigt, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am Rev Respir Dis 139:610-4. 1989..The number of normal curves decreased from H-Y Group III to Group V. The contribution of A and B curves was relatively equal in the groups, with only a small number of A curves.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Effect of a M1-selective muscarinic receptor antagonist (pirenzepine) on basal bronchomotor tone in young womenM Fujimura
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, Japan
Respiration 59:102-6. 1992..2 +/- 14.2%. These results suggest that the role of M1-receptors in vagally mediated basal bronchomotor tone may be significant but little compared with M3-receptors in normal humans...
- [The effect of inhaled salbutamol on pulmonary gas exchange in patients with chronic obstructive bronchopneumopathy]T Clerbaux
, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Bruxelles, Belgique
Rev Mal Respir 9:171-7. 1992..It is concluded that salbutamol does not affect the blood gases in COPD patients. In this respect the behaviour of COPD patients differs from that of asthmatics in whom salbutamol generally induced hypoxemia...
- A five year follow-up of lung function among chemical workers using flow-volume and impedance measurementsS Keman
Dept of Health Risk Analysis and Toxicology, University of Limburg, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 9:2109-15. 1996..It is concluded that alterations in impedance parameters do reflect changes in flow-volume curves induced by age. smoking and occupational exposure. Therefore, these data are a valuable extension to current cross-sectional data...
- Comparison of the functional results of single lung transplantation for pulmonary fibrosis and chronic airway obstructionR A Chacon
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle, upon Tyne, UK
Thorax 53:43-9. 1998....
- [Characteristics of chord time constant and F-V curve configuration in testing small airway functions for smokers]G Huang
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, WCUMS, Chengdu 610041
Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 30:280-2, 295. 1999..Therefore it is concluded that in terms of clinical implications the specificity of tau ch50 for small airway functions and the prolongation of tau ch with the severity of COPD are useful indexes...
- Simulation of the effects of mechanical nonhomogeneities on expiratory flow from human lungsR K Lambert
Department of Physics and Biophysics, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Appl Physiol 68:2550-63. 1990..delta PA was greater when the viscosity of the expired gas was increased or when its density was reduced. Partial forced expirations were shown to indicate the presence of mechanical nonhomogeneity...
- Assessment of the usefulness of helium-oxygen maximal expiratory flow curves in epidemiologic studies of lung disease in childrenS Redline
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115
Am Rev Respir Dis 136:834-40. 1987..The reproducibility of DD50 was assessed on a subsample of 90 subjects in whom DD was measured during 2 surveys 1 yr apart.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Gas trapping in normal infants and in infants with cystic fibrosisRobert G Castile
Children s Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43205, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 37:461-9. 2004..Measured following raised volume forced expiratory maneuvers, delta V and tg do not distinguish infants with CF from normal infants as well as do other currently available tests of infant lung function...
- Effects of thoracic gas compression on maximal and partial flow-volume maneuversR D Fairshter
University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Orange 92668
J Appl Physiol 67:780-5. 1989....
- Sources of error in flow-volume curves. Effect of expired volume measured at the mouth vs that measured in a body plethysmographA L Coates
Department of Pediatrics, McGill University, Canada
Chest 94:976-82. 1988..0001). These findings suggest that expiratory flows in the FVCm are not effort-independent in the face of significant airflow obstruction and that comparisons of values derived from an FVCp with those from an FVCm may not be valid...
- Serum eosinophil cationic protein (ECP) in chronic asthma. Relationship to spirometry, flow-volume curves, PC20, and exacerbationsA M Wever
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Red Cross Hospital, The Hague, The Netherlands
Respir Med 88:613-21. 1994..Elevated ECP seems to denote patients at risk from inflammatory exacerbations, resulting in practical implications for the therapeutic management of chronic asthma...
- Measurement of respiratory impedance by forced oscillation: comparison of the standard and head generator methodsY Iwatsubo
INSERM U139, , France
Eur Respir J 7:901-6. 1994..According to our results, the standard method of applying forced oscillation at the mouth seems an acceptable device for measuring respiratory impedance for epidemiological purposes...
- [Study of peak expiratory flow in 728 normal adolescents in Chengdu area]G Huang
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, WCUMS, Chengdu 610041, China
Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 32:427-9. 2001....
- [Clinical study of the month: the TORCH study (TOwards a Revolution in COPD Health)]J L Corhay
Service de Pneumologie, CHU Sart Tilman, Liege, Belgique
Rev Med Liege 62:230-4. 2007..In addition to being effective, the combination salmeterol/fluticasone (50/500 microg 2x/day) is well tolerated in COPD and had a favourable benefit/risk ratio...
- Role of vagus nerves in resiniferatoxin-induced bronchoconstriction of guinea pigsH Q Zhang
Division of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington 40536
Respir Physiol 94:285-95. 1993..Thus, the nonvagal component plays a significant role in this type of tachykinin-mediated airway constriction...
- Growth of airways and air spaces in teenagers is related to sex but not to symptomsP J Merkus
Department of Physiology, Leiden University, The Netherlands
J Appl Physiol (1985) 75:2045-53. 1993..However, no difference in patterns of lung growth was observed in association with the presence of respiratory symptoms...
- Lower airway obstruction, bronchial hyperresponsiveness, and primary pulmonary hypertension in childrenDeepa Rastogi
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Department of Pediatrics, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University and the Morgan Stanley Children s Hospital of New York Presbyterian, New York, New York 10032, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 37:50-5. 2004..Our findings suggest that reversible LAO is the most common lung function abnormality among pediatric patients with PPH. Whether airway reactivity is a cause of or the result of PPH remains to be determined...
- Expiratory muscle fatigue does not regulate operating lung volumes during high-intensity exercise in healthy humansBryan J Taylor
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, London, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol (1985) 114:1569-76. 2013....
- Changes in maximum expiratory flow-volume curve configuration after treatment with inhaled corticosteroidsJ Kraan
Department of Lung Disease, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Thorax 44:1015-21. 1989..It is concluded that these changes in flow-volume curve configuration reflect a decrease in inhomogeneously distributed inflammatory airway narrowing...
- Simulation of airway closure during forced vital capacityD Elad
Biomedical Engineering Program, Faculty of Engineering, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Ann Biomed Eng 17:617-31. 1989..It can reproduce either the abrupt fall in maximal expiratory flow-volume curves as observed in dog lungs or the gradual decrease that has been observed in humans...
- Reference values of total respiratory resistance, determined with the "opening" interruption techniqueP H Vooren
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Hospital, Leiden, Holland
Eur Respir J 2:966-71. 1989..However, it appears to be useful in histamine challenge testing, to detect and monitor bronchial asthma, being not subjected to the disturbing effect of forced ins- and expirations...
- Smoking and cotton dust effects in cotton textile workersE N Schachter
Department of Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York City 10029
Chest 95:997-1003. 1989..We suggest that morphologic patterns of flow volume curves reflect separate effects of cotton dust exposure and smoking and may be related to different sites of airway injury...
- Cough flow-volume relationships in normal and asthmatic childrenC S Beardsmore
Department of Child Health, University of Leicester, England
Pediatr Pulmonol 6:223-31. 1989..These changes are related to alterations in airway compliance and cross-sectional area and are partly reversed following inhalation of a bronchodilator...
- Elastic properties of the respiratory system in infants with cystic fibrosisRobert S Tepper
Department of Pediatrics, Indiana University School of Medicine, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, 702 Barnhill Drive, Room 4270, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5225, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:505-7. 2004..Our findings indicate that infants with CF have normal elastic properties of the respiratory system...
- [Configurations of F-V curve and their transformation rule in COPD patients analysed with wave-speed theory]G Huang
Department of Physiology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, WCUMS, Chengdu, 610041
Hua Xi Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 31:387-91. 2000..This implicates a unifying process of pulmonary functions from healthy state to weakness and from slight to serious abnormality...
- Effects of posture on flow-volume curves during normocapnia and hypercapnia in patients with obstructive sleep apnoeaC Miura
First Department of Internal Medicine, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Thorax 47:524-8. 1992..CONCLUSION: In patients with obstructive sleep apnoea the upper airway is prone to collapse during inspiration when the patient is supine, even when awake; this tendency can be reversed by breathing carbon dioxide...
- The flow/volume curve as a mass screening test with emphasis on quality controlM A de Kock
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Stellenbosch
S Afr Med J 75:261-70. 1989..It is recommended that hard copies of the three efforts must be available and that all flow/volume measurements be controlled by a knowledgeable person before the results are entered in the records...
- Removal of observer variability from the determination of the volume of isoflowR K Lambert
Department of Physics and Biophysics, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Lung 165:353-69. 1987..Plots of DD (derived from heavily filtered flow curves) vs. lung inflation showed an unambiguous value for VisoV...
- Rate of increase in pulmonary distensibility in a longitudinal study of smokersH J Colebatch
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of New South Wales, Prince Henry Hospital, Australia
Thorax 43:175-82. 1988..In this study the rate of increase in K and the variation between subjects was sufficient to explain the magnitude of the increased pulmonary distensibility found in cigarette smokers who present with emphysema...
- Sidestream cigarette smoke exposure and airway reactivity during early lifeY L Lai
Division of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, Lexington 40536
J Appl Physiol 77:1868-74. 1994..These results indicate that chronic neonatal SSCS exposure induces bronchial hyperreactivity to SP; this hyperreactivity is abolished by capsaicin pretreatment...
- Rigid external resistances cause effort dependent maximal expiratory and inspiratory flowsC F Melissant
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 152:1709-12. 1995..We concluded that external resistances cause a MEF50/MIF50 ratio of clearly more than 1 and that this is determined by the PE/(-)PI ratio, which in healthy subjects is markedly larger than 1...
- Exhaled flow monitoring can detect bronchial flap-valve obstruction in a mechanical lung modelP H Breen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California at Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA 92613, USA
Anesth Analg 81:292-6. 1995..In this mechanical lung model, we conclude that bronchial flap-valve obstruction was best detected by the flow-time plot, which could measure the sequential emptying of the lungs...
- Nasal and oral flow-volume loops in normal subjects and patients with obstructive sleep apneaJ W Shepard
Mayo Sleep Disorders Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905
Am Rev Respir Dis 142:1288-93. 1990..89. These results suggest that limitations to ventilation via the nasopharynx may significantly influence both gas exchange and the frequency of sleep-disordered breathing in patients with OSA.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Expression of thioredoxin-binding protein-2/vitamin D3 upregulated protein-1 in peripheral blood eosinophils of asthma patientsFeng Gao
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Nanfang Hospital, Guangzhou 510515, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 26:371-5. 2006..To investigate the expression of vitamin D3 upregulated protein-1 (VDUP1) in peripheral eosinophils at different stages of asthma and its correlation with clinical manifestations of asthma...
- Partial flow/volume curves and airway resistances in obese subjects: new tools for investigating flow limitation?R Drigo
Divisione di Pneumotisiologia, Ospedale S Maria del Prato, Feltre BL
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 65:118-22. 2006
- Spirometric and flow-volume curve analysis in rats, and optimal parameters for estimating obstructive impairmentTetsuri Kondo
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tokai University Hachioji Hospital, Hachioji, Tokyo, 192 0032, Japan
J Physiol Sci 60:309-16. 2010..In conclusion, PEFR and FVC are optimal parameters for estimation of bronchoconstriction in rats. The decreases in PEFR and FVC may reflect constriction in large and smaller airways, respectively...
- Advantages of late expiratory relaxation during maximal forced expiratory maneuverS K Chhabra
Department of Cardiorespiratory Physiology, Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, University of Delhi, Delhi, India
Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 43:205-10. 2001....
- Mucociliary clearance in adult asthmaJ Zwang
Department of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook 11794 8172
Am Rev Respir Dis 146:598-603. 1992..Throughout the 2-h study period, retention by the FL group was significantly greater than that of the NFL group with separation of 95% confidence intervals.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Effectiveness of pressure support ventilation for mechanical ventilatory support in patients with status asthmaticusH Tokioka
Department of Anesthesiology and Resuscitology, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 36:5-9. 1992..The oxygen cost of breathing estimated by oxygen consumption was equivalent in both modes. We conclude that PSV is effective in supplying tidal volumes adequate to improve hypercarbia at markedly lower airway pressures than ACV...
- Ventilatory parameters in healthy nonsmoking adults of Adriatic islands (Yugoslavia)N Smolej-Narancic
Dept of Anthropology, University of Zagreb, Yugoslavia
Eur Respir J 4:955-64. 1991..Comparisons were made with prediction equations derived for other populations, especially with those which are commonly used in daily medical practice...
- Maximum expiratory flow-volume curves during short periods of microgravityH J Guy
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093
J Appl Physiol 70:2587-96. 1991....
- [Correlation of parameters of the flow-volume curve for the assessment of bronchial hyperreactivity]M Schwaiblmair
Medizinische Klinik I,
Pneumologie 45:15-8. 1991..We concluded that the flow rates at middle and low lung volumes may be an important determinant of bronchial sensitivity to acetylcholine...
- Effects of deep inhalation during early and late asthmatic reactions to allergenR Pellegrino
Servizio di Fisiopathologia Respiratoria, Ospedale A Carle, Italy
Am Rev Respir Dis 142:822-5. 1990..This may result from an increased parenchymal hysteresis (more peripherally located bronchial obstruction) or a decreased airway hysteresis (prominent airway inflammation) during the late phase reaction...
- [Studies of normal values and prediction equations for pulmonary function--spirometry and flow-volume measurements in healthy Japanese children 6 to 14 years of age]M Miyazawa
Saitama Institute of Public Health, Urawa
Rinsho Byori 38:1181-92. 1990..The predicted values derived from our equations were larger than those obtained from the other studies published in Japan. The difference is probably due to the improvement in the body size of Japanese children and the equipments used...
- Airway function in infants with vascular rings: preoperative and postoperative assessmentA H Thomson
Department of Child Health, University of Leicester
Arch Dis Child 65:171-4. 1990....
- Tracking of lung function in healthy children and adolescentsM E Hibbert
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Pediatr Pulmonol 8:172-7. 1990..The data indicate that these measurements of lung function in healthy individuals grow in constant proportion relative to other healthy children and adolescents...
- [Spirometry for the primary care physician? For which patient?]Pierre Yves Jayet
Service de Pneumologie, CHUV, 1011 Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:2592-4, 2597. 2006..Expert recommendations, regularly updated by the American and European respiratory societies, specify the necessary conditions for spirometry to provide useful information for the care of patients...
- Airway as Target Organ in Infants with Atopic DermatitisRobert Tepper; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim # 2: Evaluate whether the presence of phenotypic characteristics of the asthmatic airway identifies infants and toddlers that develop clinical asthma by 5 years of age. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GROWTH OF AIRWAYS AND LUNG PARENCHYMA IN NORMAL INFANTSRobert Tepper; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..