Genomes and Genes
Summary: The rhythmical expansion and contraction of an ARTERY produced by waves of pressure caused by the ejection of BLOOD from the left ventricle of the HEART as it contracts.
Publications339 found, 100 shown here
- Expert consensus document on the measurement of aortic stiffness in daily practice using carotid-femoral pulse wave velocityLuc M Van Bortel
Heymans Institute of Pharmacology, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
J Hypertens 30:445-8. 2012..having the best predictive value for cardiovascular outcome and the ease of its measurement, carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity is now considered the gold standard for arterial stiffness assessment in daily practice...
- Validity, reproducibility, and clinical significance of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurementAkira Yamashina
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Japan
Hypertens Res 25:359-64. 2002The present study was conducted to evaluate the validity and reproducibility of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) measurements and to examine the alteration of baPWV in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Prognostic value of aortic pulse wave velocity as index of arterial stiffness in the general populationTine Willum-Hansen
Research Center for Prevention and Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Circulation 113:664-70. 2006Few population studies addressed the prognostic significance of aortic pulse wave velocity (APWV) above and beyond other cardiovascular risk factors.
- Influences of age and gender on results of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity measurement--a survey of 12517 subjectsHirofumi Tomiyama
The Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1 Nishi shinjuku, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 0023, Japan
Atherosclerosis 166:303-9. 2003..study was conducted to evaluate the influences of age and gender on the results of noninvasive brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV)...
- Telomere length as an indicator of biological aging: the gender effect and relation with pulse pressure and pulse wave velocityA Benetos
Center Investigations Preventives et Cliniques, INSERM U337, Paris, France
Hypertension 37:381-5. 2001..provides a better account than chronological age for variation in arterial stiffness, evaluated by measuring pulse pressure and aortic pulse wave velocity...
- Aortic stiffness is an independent predictor of primary coronary events in hypertensive patients: a longitudinal studyPierre Boutouyrie
Department of Pharmacology and INSERM EMI 0107, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Hypertension 39:10-5. 2002..Aortic stiffness was determined from carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity at baseline in 1045 hypertensives...
- Elevated aortic pulse wave velocity, a marker of arterial stiffness, predicts cardiovascular events in well-functioning older adultsKim Sutton-Tyrrell
Department of Epidemiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Circulation 111:3384-90. 2005..Increased aortic pulse wave velocity (aPWV) has been associated with mortality in clinical but not general populations...
- Normal vascular aging: differential effects on wave reflection and aortic pulse wave velocity: the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT)Carmel M McEniery
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 46:1753-60. 2005....
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity: an index of central arterial stiffness?J Sugawara
Institute for Human Science and Bioengineering, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba, Japan
J Hum Hypertens 19:401-6. 2005Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) is a promising technique to assess arterial stiffness conveniently. However, it is not known whether baPWV is associated with well-established indices of central arterial stiffness...
- Assessing fluid responsiveness in critically ill patients: False-positive pulse pressure variation is detected by Doppler echocardiographic evaluation of the right ventricleYazine Mahjoub
Medical YM, CP, AF, El, Ft, CG, HD and Surgical Intensive Care Unit EZ, Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Amiens University Hospital, Amiens, France
Crit Care Med 37:2570-5. 2009..Sta), a right ventricular function parameter, can discriminate patients with true- and false-positive pulse pressure variation...
- Effects of electrical acupuncture on acupoint BL15 evaluated in terms of heart rate variability, pulse rate variability and skin conductance responseChih Chieh Hsu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University, Chungli, Taiwan
Am J Chin Med 34:23-36. 2006In this research, heart rate variability (HRV), pulse rate variability (PRV) and human skin conductance (SC) of all acupoints on Heart Meridian were used to evaluate the effects of electrical acupuncture (EA) on acupoint BL15 (Bladder ..
- Impact of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and ankle-brachial blood pressure index on mortality in hemodialysis patientsTokuyuki Kitahara
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Gunma Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 46:688-96. 2005b>Pulse wave velocity (PWV) and ankle-brachial blood pressure index (ABPI) are markers for atherosclerosis, and each predicts mortality in patients undergoing hemodialysis...
- Salt sensitivity, pulse pressure, and death in normal and hypertensive humansM H Weinberger
Indiana University School of Medicine, The Regenstrief Institute for Health Care, Roudebush Veteran s Administration Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Hypertension 37:429-32. 2001..002) associated with subjects who had died compared with subjects known to be alive: age at study, pulse pressure, systolic, diastolic, and mean arterial pressures, hypertension, salt sensitivity, baseline renin levels, ..
- Pulse pressure and risk of new-onset atrial fibrillationGary F Mitchell
Cardiovascular Engineering Inc, Waltham, Mass 02453, USA
JAMA 297:709-15. 2007..Increased pulse pressure, a reflection of aortic stiffness, increases cardiac load and may increase AF risk.
- Central pulse pressure and mortality in end-stage renal diseaseMichel E Safar
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Broussais, AP HP, Paris, France
Hypertension 39:735-8. 2002..Increased aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) and brachial pulse pressure (PP) are the principal arterial markers of cardiovascular ..
- Systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, and pulse pressure as predictors of risk for congestive heart failure in the Framingham Heart StudyAgha W Haider
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702 5827, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:10-6. 2003Although hypertension is a principal precursor of congestive heart failure (CHF), the separate relations of systolic, diastolic, and pulse pressure with risk for heart failure have not been fully elucidated.
- Analysis of cardiovascular responses to passive head-up tilt using continuous pulse wave analysis and impedance cardiographyAnna Tahvanainen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:128-37. 2009....
- Assessment of endothelial function using digital pulse amplitude tonometryNaomi M Hamburg
Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 19:6-11. 2009..A novel pulse amplitude tonometry device noninvasively measures vasodilator function in the microcirculation of the finger...
- Arterial blood pressure measurement and pulse wave analysis--their role in enhancing cardiovascular assessmentAlberto P Avolio
The Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Physiol Meas 31:R1-47. 2010..Since the arterial pressure pulse becomes modified as it travels away from the heart towards the periphery, this is generally true for mean and ..
- Brachial -- ankle pulse wave velocity is a simple and independent predictor of prognosis in patients with acute coronary syndromeHirofumi Tomiyama
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 69:815-22. 2005Although a very simple method of measuring brachial -- ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) has become available in a clinical setting, whether baPWV can predict future cardiovascular events remains uncertain...
- Left ventricular mass in patients with type 2 diabetes is independently associated with central but not peripheral pulse pressureJames E Sharman
University of Queensland, Department of Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Ipswich Road, Brisbane, Queensland 4102, Australia
Diabetes Care 28:937-9. 2005
- Ambulatory pulse pressure, decreased nocturnal blood pressure reduction and progression of nephropathy in type 2 diabetic patientsS T Knudsen
Medical Department M Diabetes and Endocrinology, Aarhus University Hospital, Nørrebrogade 44, 8000, Aarhus C, Denmark
Diabetologia 52:698-704. 2009We followed type 2 diabetic patients over a long period to evaluate the predictive value of ambulatory pulse pressure (PP) and decreased nocturnal BP reduction (non-dipping) for nephropathy progression.
- [Relationship between pulse pressure, visual impairement and severity of diabetic retinopathy in sub-Saharan Africa]A Nsungu J Nkondi Mbadi
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hôpital Général de référence de Kinshasa et Université de Kinshasa, RD Congo
Mali Med 24:17-21. 2009To determine the relationship between pulse pressure, traditional risk factors, vision impairment and different clinical forms of diabetic retinopathy.
- Comparison of a non-invasive arterial pulse contour technique and echo Doppler aorta velocity-time integral on stroke volume changes in optimization of cardiac resynchronization therapyIrene E van Geldorp
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University Medical Center, PO Box 616, NL 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Europace 13:87-95. 2011We investigated the accuracy and feasibility of a non-invasive arterial pulse contour technique for continuous measurement of stroke volume (SV) in optimization of atrioventricular (AV) delay in cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT), ..
- Relationship between brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and cardiovascular risk factors of the metabolic syndromeK M Choi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Korea University Guro Hospital, Korea University, 80 Guro dong, Guro Gu, Seoul 152 050, South Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 66:57-61. 2004In this study, we investigated the association between brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV), a novel non-invasive means of measuring atherosclerosis, and the cardiovascular risk factors of the metabolic syndrome...
- Validation of a new non-invasive portable tonometer for determining arterial pressure wave and pulse wave velocity: the PulsePen devicePaolo Salvi
Department of Internal Medicine, Bufalini Hospital, Cesena, Italy
J Hypertens 22:2285-93. 2004..To validate a new, small portable tonometer (PulsePen) that is able to assess carotid artery pressure and to measure pulse wave velocity (PWV) non-invasively...
- Individualization of transfer function in estimation of central aortic pressure from the peripheral pulse is not required in patients at restBerend E Westerhof
BMEYE B V, Academic Medical Center, Suite K2 245, Univ of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1858-63. 2008..Details of the wave shape were reproduced slightly better with ITF but not significantly, thus individualization of pressure transfer is not effective in resting patients...
- Photoplethysmographic assessment of pulse wave reflection: blunted response to endothelium-dependent beta2-adrenergic vasodilation in type II diabetes mellitusP J Chowienczyk
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Centre for Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, King s College, London, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 34:2007-14. 1999We sought to determine whether a simple index of pressure wave reflection may be derived from the digital volume pulse (DVP) and used to examine endothelium-dependent vasodilation in patients with type II diabetes mellitus.
- Indices of cardiovascular function derived from peripheral pulse wave analysis using radial applanation tonometry: a measurement repeatability studyMike Crilly
Department of Public Health, University of Aberdeen Medical School, Aberdeen, UK mike crilly abdn ac uk
Vasc Med 12:189-97. 2007b>Pulse wave analysis (PWA) using applanation tonometry is a non-invasive technique for assessing cardiovascular function...
- Galen: on blood, the pulse, and the arteriesMichael Boylan
Department of Philosophy, Marvmount University, 2807 N Globe Road, Arlington, VA 22207, USA
J Hist Biol 40:207-30. 2007..In the process some of Galen's supporting doctrines on the blood and pulse will also be discussed in the context of a coherent scientific explanation...
- Contour analysis of the photoplethysmographic pulse measured at the fingerSandrine C Millasseau
Cardiovascular Division, King s College London School of Medicine, London, UK
J Hypertens 24:1449-56. 2006Analysis of the contour of the peripheral pulse to assess arterial properties was first described in the nineteenth century...
- Endothelial pulse amplitude testing: feasibility and reproducibility in adolescentsElif Seda Selamet Tierney
Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02155, USA
J Pediatr 154:901-5. 2009To test prospectively the reproducibility and feasibility of endothelial pulse amplitude testing (Endo-PAT), a novel Food and Drug Administration-approved technology, in healthy adolescents.
- Relations of central and brachial blood pressure to left ventricular hypertrophy and geometry: the Strong Heart StudyMary J Roman
Division of Cardiology, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York 10021, USA
J Hypertens 28:384-8. 2010We previously demonstrated stronger relations of central vs. brachial blood pressure, particularly pulse pressure, to carotid artery hypertrophy and extent of atherosclerosis...
- Increased pulse wave velocity is not associated with elevated augmentation index in patients with diabetesPeter S Lacy
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of Leicester, Leicester LE2 7LX, UK
J Hypertens 22:1937-44. 2004Increased arterial stiffness is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease and is a feature associated with diabetes. Pulse wave velocity (PWV) is an accepted index of arterial stiffness and augmentation index (AI) derived from radial ..
- Excess mortality associated with increased pulse pressure among middle-aged men and women is explained by high systolic blood pressureR L Antikainen
Health Center Hospital of Oulu and Department of Internal Medicine, Oulu University, Finland
J Hypertens 18:417-23. 2000To assess the risk of death from coronary heart disease, stroke, all cardiovascular diseases and all-cause mortality associated with pulse pressure among the middle-aged population.
- Association between pulse pressure and C-reactive protein among apparently healthy US adultsJerome L Abramson
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
Hypertension 39:197-202. 2002Elevated pulse pressure has been associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, which is increasingly being seen as an inflammatory disease...
- Validating a new oscillometric device for aortic pulse wave velocity measurements in children and adolescentsDaniela Kracht
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Am J Hypertens 24:1294-9. 2011b>Pulse wave velocity (PWV) is an indicator of aortic stiffness and a predictor of cardiovascular risk. Applanation tonometry (e.g., SphygmoCor) is a well-established method to measure aortic PWV (aPWV)...
- The influence of serum aldosterone and the aldosterone-renin ratio on pulse wave velocity in hypertensive patientsSungha Park
Division of Cardiology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Hypertens 25:1279-83. 2007..Excess aldosterone may have a detrimental effect on vascular stiffness. We therefore hypothesized that ARR and aldosterone are independently correlated with pulse wave velocity (PWV) in hypertensive patients.
- Variability of body weight, pulse pressure and glycaemia strongly predict total mortality in elderly type 2 diabetic patients. The Verona Diabetes StudyGiacomo Zoppini
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:624-8. 2008..the impact of long-term exposure to the average value (mean) or to the variability (coefficient of variation) of fasting glycaemia, body mass index (BMI) and pulse pressure on total mortality in a cohort of type 2 diabetic patients.
- Estimation of ocular rigidity based on measurement of pulse amplitude using pneumotonometry and fundus pulse using laser interferometry in glaucomaAnton Hommer
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:4046-50. 2008..In this study, the hypothesis was that patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) have an abnormal ocular structural stiffness based on measurements of intraocular pressure amplitude and ocular fundus pulsation amplitude (FPA)...
- Deriving respiration from photoplethysmographic pulse widthJesus Lazaro
Communications Technology Group, Aragon Institute of Engineering Research, IIS Aragón, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Med Biol Eng Comput 51:233-42. 2013A method for deriving respiration from the pulse photoplethysmographic (PPG) signal is presented...
- Pulse pressure, arterial stiffness, and drug treatment of hypertensionL M van Bortel
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, Heymans Institute for Pharmacology, University of Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
Hypertension 38:914-21. 2001Epidemiological studies in the past decade have stressed the importance of pulse pressure as an independent risk factor for cardiovascular morbidity and mortality...
- Value of beat-to-beat blood pressure changes, detected by pulse transit time, in the management of the obstructive sleep apnoea/hypopnoea syndromeD J Pitson
Osler Chest Unit, The Churchill, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, UK
Eur Respir J 12:685-92. 1998..These can be derived from an indirect estimate of beat-to-beat blood pressure (BP), pulse transit time (PTT)...
- Perfused, pulseless, and puzzling: a systematic review of vascular injuries in pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures and results of a POSNA questionnaireLydia White
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:328-35. 2010Supracondylar humerus fractures that present with a perfused, viable hand yet no pulse continue to be a source of controversy...
- Ischaemia and the pink, pulseless hand complicating supracondylar fractures of the humerus in childhood: long-term follow-upC M Blakey
Research and Education, South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre, Dorking Road, Epsom KT18 7EG, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1487-92. 2009....
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity predicts silent cerebrovascular diseases in patients with end-stage renal diseasesNaoki Washida
Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Atheroscler Thromb 17:165-72. 2010..The purpose of this study was to examine whether factors associated with arterial stiffness contributed to the development of CVD in patients with ESRD...
- Pink pulseless hand following supra-condylar fractures: an audit of British practiceAjay Malviya
Trauma and Orthopaedics Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Pediatr Orthop B 15:62-4. 2006..In the absence of a radial pulse, stabilization would be considered even after midnight...
- Reference values of pulse wave velocity in healthy children and teenagersGeorge S Reusz
First Department of Pediatrics, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
Hypertension 56:217-24. 2010Carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity is an established method for characterizing aortic stiffness, an individual predictor of cardiovascular mortality in adults...
- Non-contact, automated cardiac pulse measurements using video imaging and blind source separationMing Zher Poh
Divison of Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard MIT, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Opt Express 18:10762-74. 2010Remote measurements of the cardiac pulse can provide comfortable physiological assessment without electrodes. However, attempts so far are non-automated, susceptible to motion artifacts and typically expensive...
- Subclinical atherosclerosis is increased in type 2 diabetic patients with microalbuminuria evaluated by intima-media thickness and pulse wave velocityHiroki Yokoyama
Jiyugaoka Clinic, Internal Medicine, Obihiro, Japan
Kidney Int 66:448-54. 2004..Microalbuminuria appears to be a risk marker for atherosclerosis. However, little is known about the direct association between microalbuminuria and vascular wall properties...
- Variation associated with measurement of retinal vessel diameters at different points in the pulse cycleM D Knudtson
UW Madison Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, 610 N Walnut Street, 4th Floor WARF, Madison, WI 53726, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 88:57-61. 2004To assess the variability in retinal vessel measurements at different points in the pulse cycle.
- Bootstrap quantification of cardiac pulsation artifact in DTISungWon Chung
UCSF UC Berkeley Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering, CA, USA
Neuroimage 49:631-40. 2010..We have demonstrated that cardiac gating, especially of partial Fourier acquisitions, can reduce the uncertainties of DTI derived parameters in a time-efficient manner...
- Brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity and metabolic syndrome in a Japanese population: the Minoh studyNoriyuki Nakanishi
Department of Social and Environmental Medicine, Course of Social Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Hypertens Res 28:125-31. 2005To investigate the association between brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV) and metabolic syndrome (MS), we examined 374 men and 622 women aged 40 to 69 years who did not have a past history of either coronary heart disease or ..
- Measurement of blood pressure using an arterial pulsimeter equipped with a Hall deviceSang Suk Lee
Department of Oriental Biomedical Engineering, Sangji University, Wonju 220 702, Korea
Sensors (Basel) 11:1784-93. 2011To measure precise blood pressure (BP) and pulse rate without using a cuff, we have developed an arterial pulsimeter consisting of a small, portable apparatus incorporating a Hall device...
- Pulse pressure--a review of mechanisms and clinical relevanceA M Dart
Alfred Baker Medical Unit, Alfred Hospital and Baker Medical Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 37:975-84. 2001The goal of this study was to review the origin, clinical relevance and treatment of pulse pressure (PP). Elevated PP is increasingly being recognized as a risk factor for cardiovascular, particularly coronary, disease...
- Covert respiration measures for the detection of concealed informationEitan Elaad
Ariel University Center, Ariel, Israel
Biol Psychol 77:284-91. 2008..standard measures typically used for the detection of concealed knowledge (electrodermal, respiration and finger pulse measures)...
- Should pulse pressure and day/night variations in blood pressure be seen as independent risk factors requiring correction or simply as markers to be taken into account when evaluating overall vascular risk?B Bouhanick
Service de médecine interne et HTA, CHU de Rangueil, TSA 50032, 31059, Toulouse Cedex 9, France
Diabetes Metab 33:321-30. 2007..In the diabetic population, brachial pulse pressure (PP) is an independent predictor of cardiovascular mortality, but not of all-cause mortality...
- [Influence of open chest conditions on pulse pressure variations]E Lorne
Pole Anesthésie Réanimation, CHU d Amiens, 1 place Victor Pauchet, Amiens, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 30:117-21. 2011b>Pulse pressure variations are used to assess fluid responsiveness in mechanically ventilated patients. The accuracy of this index in open chest conditions remained unclear...
- Determinants of the second derivative of the finger photoplethysmogram and brachial-ankle pulse-wave velocity: the Ohasama studyJunichiro Hashimoto
Department of Planning for Drug Development and Clinical Evaluation, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Am J Hypertens 18:477-85. 2005..different characteristics of the second derivative of the finger photoplethysmogram (SDPTG) and brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (BAPWV) for assessing arterial function in a large general population, along with the alteration of ..
- The validity of finger pulse line length for the detection of concealed informationKatrien Vandenbosch
Department of Psychology, Ghent University, Henri Dunantlaan 2, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Int J Psychophysiol 71:118-23. 2009..amp; Ben-Shakhar, G. (2006). Finger pulse waveform length in the detection of concealed information. Int. J. Psychophysiol., 61, 226-234...
- Pulse pressure and risk for myocardial infarction and heart failure in the elderlyV Vaccarino
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 36:130-8. 2000We sought to determine whether pulse pressure (PP), a measure of arterial stiffness, is an independent predictor of the incidence of coronary heart disease (CHD), congestive heart failure (CHF) and overall mortality among community-..
- Pulse-wave morphology and pulse-wave velocity in healthy human volunteers: examination conditionsM Frimodt-Møller
Department of Nephrology, Herlev University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 66:385-94. 2006Applanation tonometry for pulse-wave analysis (PWA) and determination of pulse-wave velocity (PWV) is a non-invasive method for assessment of the central aortic pressure waveform and indices of arterial stiffness...
- The difference in pulse transit time to the toe and finger measured by photoplethysmographyM Nitzan
Department of Applied Physics Electro Optics, Jerusalem College of Technology, Israel
Physiol Meas 23:85-93. 2002Blood pressure pulse wave velocity (PWV) is a parameter which is related to arterial distensibility...
- Impact of smoking and smoking cessation on arterial stiffness and aortic wave reflection in hypertensionNoor A Jatoi
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Hypertension 49:981-5. 2007..Measurements included aortic stiffness, assessed as pulse wave velocity (Complior), wave reflection (augmentation index [AIx]), and transit time (T(R)) (Sphygmocor)...
- Increased stroke volume and aortic stiffness contribute to isolated systolic hypertension in young adultsCarmel M McEniery
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Hypertension 46:221-6. 2005..Peripheral and central blood pressure, aortic pulse wave velocity, cardiac output, stroke volume, and peripheral vascular resistance were determined in 1008 subjects, ..
- Increased pulse wave velocity associated with reduced calcaneal quantitative osteo-sono index: possible relationship between atherosclerosis and osteopeniaKen ichi Hirose
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo 160 0023, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2573-8. 2003..Thus, we measured pulse wave velocity (PWV), which reflects earlier phase atherosclerosis, and osteo-sono assessment index (OSI), which ..
- Pulse pressure and coronary mortality in elderly men and women from general populationE Casiglia
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani, 2 35128 Padova, Italy
J Hum Hypertens 16:611-20. 2002The aim of this work was to evaluate whether pulse pressure (PP) in elderly people is a better predictor of coronary mortality than systolic and diastolic blood pressure taken alone...
- Pulse wave velocity and augmentation index, but not intima-media thickness, are early indicators of vascular damage in hypercholesterolemic childrenS Riggio
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Therapy, University of Messina, 8298123 Messina, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 40:250-7. 2010..Aim of our study was to evaluate local and systemic arterial stiffness as well as carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) in HCh children and also to investigate the relation between serum cholesterol levels and arterial stiffness...
- Increased aortic stiffness assessed by pulse wave velocity in apolipoprotein E-deficient miceY X Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Berlex Biosciences, Richmond, California 94804, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 278:H428-34. 2000..A direct consequence of atherosclerosis is an increase in vascular stiffness. Pulse wave velocity (PWV) has been used to assess the stiffness of large vessels and was found to be increased in ..
- Aortic pulse pressure is associated with carotid IMT in chronic kidney disease: report from Chronic Renal Insufficiency CohortStephanie S DeLoach
Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Hypertens 22:1235-41. 2009..This study was designed to assess the association between two noninvasive measures of cardiovascular risk, pulse wave analysis (PWA), and carotid intima-media thickness (IMT), in a cohort of CKD patients enrolled in the Chronic ..
- Ambulatory arterial stiffness index, pulse wave velocity and augmentation index--interchangeable or mutually exclusive measures?Paula Jerrard-Dunne
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Trinity College Dublin, Trinity Centre, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Hypertens 26:529-34. 2008..This index has prompted considerable controversy as to whether it is a true measure of arterial stiffness...
- Pulse waveform characteristics predict cardiovascular events and mortality in patients undergoing coronary angiographyThomas Weber
Cardiology Department, Klinikum Wels Grieskirchen, Wels, Austria
J Hypertens 28:797-805. 2010b>Pulse waveform characteristics (Augmentation Index--AIx and pulse wave transit time) are measures of the timing and extent of arterial wave reflections...
- Non-invasive radial pulse wave assessment for the evaluation of left ventricular systolic performance in heart failureJean Michel Tartiere
Department of Physiology, Lariboisiere Hospital, Assistance Publique, Paris, France
Eur J Heart Fail 9:477-83. 2007..We sought to assess the reproducibility and feasibility of use of the maximal first derivative of the radial pulse, Rad dP/dt, as a peripheral criterion of ventricular contractility in patients with heart failure.
- Pulmonary artery pulse pressure and wave reflection in chronic pulmonary thromboembolism and primary pulmonary hypertensionV Castelain
Service de Pneumologie, , , Assistance Publique-H pitaux de Paris, Clamart, France
J Am Coll Cardiol 37:1085-92. 2001OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this time-domain study was to compare pulmonary artery (PA) pulse pressure and wave reflection in chronic pulmonary thromboembolism (CPTE) and primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH)...
- Wrist pulse signal diagnosis using modified Gaussian models and Fuzzy C-Means classificationYinghui Chen
Biometrics Research Center, Dept of Computing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China
Med Eng Phys 31:1283-9. 2009Wrist pulse signal contains important information about the health status of a person and pulse signal diagnosis has been employed in oriental medicine for thousands of years...
- Pulse pressure and aortic pulse wave are markers of cardiovascular risk in hypertensive populationsR Asmar
L'Institut CardioVasculaire, Paris, France
Am J Hypertens 14:91-7. 2001BACKGROUND: Pulse pressure (PP) and aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) are significant markers of cardiovascular risk, but a similar role for central wave reflections has never been investigated...
- Hemodynamic correlates of blood pressure across the adult age spectrum: noninvasive evaluation in the Framingham Heart StudyGary F Mitchell
Cardiovascular Engineering Inc, 1 Edgewater Drive, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
Circulation 122:1379-86. 2010Systolic blood pressure and pulse pressure are substantially higher in older adults...
- Aortic pulse wave velocity is associated with the presence and quantity of coronary artery calcium: a community-based studyIftikhar J Kullo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hypertension 47:174-9. 2006We investigated the relationship of aortic pulse wave velocity (aPWV), a measure of central arterial stiffness, with the presence and quantity of coronary artery calcium (CAC) in a community-based sample of adults without prior history ..
- The effect of obesity and weight loss on aortic pulse wave velocity as assessed by magnetic resonance imagingOliver J Rider
Oxford Centre for Clinical Magnetic Resonance Research, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:2311-6. 2010..the effect of obesity and weight loss, in the absence of the traditional cardiovascular risk factors, on aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) a reliable, reproducible, and accurate clinical measure of aortic stiffness linked to ..
- Effects of green tea consumption on inflammation, insulin resistance and pulse wave velocity in type 2 diabetes patientsO H Ryu
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Guro Hospital, 80 Guro dong, Guro Gu, Seoul 152 050, South Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 71:356-8. 2006..Furthermore, tea consumption did not improve baPWV. These results suggest that the above-described mechanisms are unlikely to explain the cardiovascular risk reduction by tea consumption observed in epidemiological studies...
- Association of pulse wave velocity with vascular and valvular calcification in hemodialysis patientsP Raggi
Division of Cardiology and Department of Radiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA, and Department of Nephrology, Ospedale San Paolo, Milan, Italy
Kidney Int 71:802-7. 2007..Accordingly, in 131 adult maintenance hemodialysis patients, we investigated the association of aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) with calcification of cardiac valves on echocardiography, coronary artery, and thoracic aorta ..
- Midlife pulse pressure and incidence of dementia: the Honolulu-Asia Aging StudyMichael H Freitag
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography and Biometry, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Stroke 37:33-7. 2006..This study explores whether this association is attributable to the pulsatile, ie, pulse pressure (PP), or the nonpulsatile component of blood pressure (BP).
- A simple oscillometric technique for determining new indices of arterial distensibilityTadahiro Kubo
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
Hypertens Res 25:351-8. 2002Recently, oscillometric devices have been developed that can measure blood pressure in the extremities and analyze pulse volume record...
- Finger pulse waveform length in the detection of concealed informationEitan Elaad
Department of Behavioral Sciences, The College of Judea and Samaria, Ariel, Israel
Int J Psychophysiol 61:226-34. 2006An attempt was made to assess the efficiency of the finger pulse waveform length (FPWL), in detection of concealed information. For this purpose, two mock-theft experiments were designed...
- Pulse pressure and diurnal blood pressure variation: association with micro- and macrovascular complications in type 2 diabetesSøren Tang Knudsen
Medical Department M Diabetes and Endocrinology, Aarhus Kommunehospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Hypertens 15:244-50. 2002In nondiabetic subjects pulse pressure (PP) is an independent predictor of cardiovascular disease and microalbuminuria...
- Aortic pulse wave velocity and albuminuria in patients with type 2 diabetesAndrew Smith
Unit for Metabolic Medicine, 5th Floor, Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Cardiovascular Division, GKT School of Medicine, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RT, UK
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:1069-75. 2005..Aortic pulse wave velocity (Ao-PWV) and albumin creatinine ratio (ACR) were measured in 134 consecutive patients with type 2 ..
- Feasibility of aortic pulse pressure and pressure wave velocity MRI measurement in young adultsEric Laffon
Service de Medecine Nucleaire, Hopital du Haut leveque, Pessac, France
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:53-8. 2005To investigate the feasibility of assessing, noninvasively, aortic pulse pressure (APP) and pulse wave velocity (PWV) in the ascending aorta of young adults by means of velocity-encoded magnetic resonance (MR) imaging.
- Evaluation of an uncalibrated arterial pulse contour cardiac output monitoring system in cirrhotic patients undergoing liver surgeryG Biancofiore
Liver Transplant Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, Ospedale Cisanello, Pisa, Italy
Br J Anaesth 102:47-54. 2009..We have assessed the accuracy and reliability of a recently marketed self-calibrating arterial pulse contour CO monitoring system (FloTrac/Vigileo) in end-stage liver failure patients undergoing liver transplant...
- Multicenter evaluation of noninvasive cardiac output measurement by bioreactance techniqueNirav Y Raval
Atlanta Cardiology Group, 5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road, Suite 172, Atlanta, GA 30342, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 22:113-9. 2008..We evaluated NICOM compared to thermo- dilution (TD) in several clinical settings...
- Isolated systolic hypertension : prognostic information provided by pulse pressureM J Domanski
Clinical Trials Group, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7936, USA
Hypertension 34:375-80. 1999Increased arterial stiffness results in increased characteristic impedance of the aorta and increased pulse wave velocity, which increases systolic and pulse pressures...
- Relationship between ocular pulse amplitude and systemic blood pressure measurementsMatthias C Grieshaber
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Ophthalmol 87:329-34. 2009This study aimed to determine whether ocular pulse amplitude (OPA) measured with dynamic contour tonometry (DCT) is related to systemic blood pressure (BP) parameters.
- On the effects of gating in diffusion imaging of the brain using single shot EPIS Skare
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, MR Center, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Magn Reson Imaging 19:1125-8. 2001..Six different trigger delays have been evaluated in the range 18-500 ms relative the peripheral pulse wave. Brain motion was found significant in and inferior to the corpus callosum area...
- Non-invasive model-based estimation of aortic pulse pressure using suprasystolic brachial pressure waveformsA Lowe
Pulsecor Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
J Biomech 42:2111-5. 2009..Further research is necessary to confirm that more accurate brachial pressure measurement improves central pressure estimation...
- An updated clinical primer on large artery mechanics: implications of pulse waveform analysis and arterial tonometryMichael F O'Rourke
St Vincent s Clinic, University of New South Wales, 438 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Curr Opin Cardiol 20:275-81. 2005The use of pulse wave analysis with arterial tonometry has accelerated over the last year...
- Pulse wave velocity as endpoint in large-scale intervention trial. The Complior study. Scientific, Quality Control, Coordination and Investigation Committees of the Complior StudyR Asmar
L Institut CardioVasculaire, Paris, France
J Hypertens 19:813-8. 2001To evaluate the ability of an antihypertensive therapy to improve arterial stiffness as assessed by aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV) in a large population of hypertensive patients.
- Usefulness of brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity as a predictive marker of multiple coronary artery occlusive disease in Korean type 2 diabetes patientsHai Jin Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 85:30-4. 2009..The aim of this study is to evaluate the arterial stiffness in type 2 diabetes patients using brachial-ankle pulse wave velocity (baPWV), to demonstrate the correlation between arterial stiffness and multiple CAOD, and to suggest ..
- The clinical utility of dynamic contour tonometry and ocular pulse amplitudeJennifer S Weizer
Duke University Eye Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Glaucoma 16:700-3. 2007To determine if ocular pulse amplitude (OPA) as measured by dynamic contour tonometry (DCT) is related to severity of glaucoma, and if intraocular pressure (IOP) as measured by DCT is related to central corneal thickness (CCT).
- Brachial blood pressure but not carotid arterial waveforms predict cardiovascular events in elderly female hypertensivesAnthony M Dart
Baker Medical Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, 8008, Australia
Hypertension 47:785-90. 2006..3; 95% CI, 1.3 to 4.1 for pulse pressure > or =81 versus <81 mm Hg; P=0...
- Cardio-ankle vascular index and ankle pulse wave velocity as a marker of arterial fibrosis in kidney failure treated by hemodialysisAtsuhiro Ichihara
Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 52:947-55. 2008..This study sought to compare the strength of predictions of arterial fibrosis by using a new parameter, the cardio-ankle vascular index (CAVI), versus pulse wave velocity (PWV) in patients with kidney failure treated with hemodialysis.
- Age-specific relationship of aortic pulse wave velocity with left ventricular geometry and function in hypertensionGiuseppe Schillaci
Unit of Internal Medicine, Angiology and Arteriosclerosis, University of Perugia Medical School, Hospital Santa Maria della Misericordia, Piazzale Menghini, 1, IT 06129 Perugia, Italy
Hypertension 49:317-21. 2007Aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV), generally considered an intrinsic marker of arterial stiffness, might depend in part on the velocity of myocardial fiber shortening, but the relation between PWV and myocardial function in humans has ..
- Endothelin-1 regulates arterial pulse wave velocity in vivoCarmel M McEniery
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Am Coll Cardiol 42:1975-81. 2003The aim of this study was to investigate whether endothelin-1, acting locally, regulates arterial distensibility, assessed by measuring pulse-wave velocity in vivo.
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..ornithine &citrulline, vitamin C, tetrahydrobiopterin, dihydrobiopterin,) and night time hypoxia (overnight pulse oximetry)...
- Gamma-Synuclein-Mediated Regulation of Norepinephrine TransporterAnita Sidhu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Protein stability will be analyzed by pulse-chase labeling using [3H]methionine followed by immunoprecipitation with -Syn antibodies...
- Regulation of microRNA-375 by cyclic-AMP in pancreatic beta-cellsDAVID MATTHEW KELLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..and chromatin immunoprecipitation, and one experiment will be used to test for post-transcriptional degradation, pulse-chase RNA labeling...
- Wireless At-Risk Infant Monitoring SystemJASON HOLMSTEDT; Fiscal Year: 2012..that may act individually or in concert to monitor and report on a variety of baby vital signs, including ECG, pulse-ox, skin temperature, motion detection, EPG, and blood pressure...
- Characterizing TLR Function of Human Dendritic Cells in the ElderlyAlexander Panda; Fiscal Year: 2012..The PI will employ cell biology techniques including pulse-chase experiments, confocal microscopy and fluorescence resonance energy transfer to evaluate age-associated ..
- Role of leptin-mediated PI3 Kinase signaling on reproductive controlCarol Fuzeti Elias; Fiscal Year: 2013..those with hypothalamic amenorrhea resulting from a period of increased weight lost, leptin treatment increased pulse frequency and mean levels of LH, ovarian volume, number of dominant follicles and estradiol levels...
- Characterization of epsilon-sarcoglycan interacting proteins in mouse brainYuqing Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..of loss of ?-SG on the synaptic transmission and plasticity, we will determine input output relationship, paired pulse ratio, and long-term potentiation of hippocampal CA1 Schaffer collateral pathway...
- Local Calcium Signaling in Pulmonary ArteriesJAMES SK SHAM; Fiscal Year: 2012..of state-of-the-art techniques including whole-cell patch clamp, laser-scanning confocal microscopy, and UV-pulse laser flash photolysis, siRNA, and CD38 knockout mice to determine (1) the Ca2+ signals and physiological ..
- Imaging Nonlinear Absorption of Biomarkers for Improved Detection of MelanomaWarren S Warren; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such methods have been around for decades, but recent work in the PI's lab has exploited advanced femtosecond pulse shaping and pulse train modulation methods to dramatically increase the sensitivity- thus making it feasible to ..
- PARP Inhibitor and Redox Catalyst for Ventilatory TraumaPrakash Jagtap; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will monitor hemodynamic status by tracking heart rate, mean arterial pressure, and arterial pulse pressure variation...
- Defining the molecular determinants of the threshold for autoimmune arthritisLih Yun Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2013..BrdU pulse labeling experiments will be used to characterize the kinetics and migration patterns of activated autoreactive T ..
- Aldosterone, Autophagy, and Arterial StiffnessJane A Leopold; Fiscal Year: 2013..Increased arterial stiffness and premature wave reflections are important determinants of elevated systolic and pulse pressure and have been shown to predict cardiovascular morbidity and mortality, independent of coronary heart ..
- Masked Hypertension in Chronic Kidney DiseaseRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Target organ damage will be assessed using LV mass and pulse wave velocity by echocardiogram and 24 hour urine for albuminuria. Examinations will be repeated biannually...
- A new ultra-low field in-vivo EPR technology for biomedical applicationsInseob Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our aims are: 1A) Demonstrate ?M-level EPR signal detection (both CW and pulse methods) using paramagnetic samples (e.g...
- A new ultra-low field in-vivo EPR technology for biomedical applicationsInseob Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our aims are: 1A) Demonstrate ?M-level EPR signal detection (both CW and pulse methods) using paramagnetic samples (e.g...
- Simultaneous Insulin and Leptin Signaling in POMC Neurons Promotes Fertility andLATRICE DOREEN FAULKNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Collectively, these experiments will establish whether the absence of insulin and leptin signaling in POMC neurons elevates LH pulse secretion and testosterone release, thus impairing the steroidal negative feedback.
- Progesterone's Role in Pubertal Maturation in Normal and Hyperandrogenemic AdolesJESSICAH S P COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 2011..As with adult women with PCOS, girls with HA demonstrate elevated LH pulse frequency, and some HA adolescents also have impairment of LH pulse suppression by P, suggesting that abnormal LH (..
- Familial and Birth Cohort Effects on the Aging SensesKaren J Cruickshanks; Fiscal Year: 2013..and vascular measures (intima-medial thickness, blood pressure, retinal arteriolar and venular calibers, and pulse wave velocity)...
- HIFU-enhanced tumor vaccinesChandan Guha; Fiscal Year: 2012..of providing the user with control over the acoustic properties of the probe, such as, the power, frequency, pulse length, and pulse repetition frequency and can be used for animal studies...
- Calcium Signaling in the Pubertal Activation of the GnRH Pulse GeneratorDaniel J Spergel; Fiscal Year: 2011..It is also expected that kisspeptin-induced Ca2+ mobilization will increase at puberty and that these changes will account for the pubertal increase in GnRH secretion. ..
- A Pilot Study of Yoga for Breathing and Quality of Life of Lung Cancer PatientsJUDITH MARIE FOULADBAKHSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Outcome variables and related measures include: Breathing (spirometry, pulse oximetry, dyspnea, respiration rate, 6-Minute Walk test);oxygenation (pulse oximetry;heart rate);stress (Perceived ..
- Molecular Analysis of GnRH ActionMark S Roberson; Fiscal Year: 2012..model provides the opportunity to examine the ERK- dependent pituitary-specific gene network that is induced by a pulse of GnRH using microarray analyses...
- Osteoarthritis: Identification of Novel Imaging Biomarkers via 23Na/1H MRI at 7 TGregory Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..orthopedic issues in diagnosis and treatment);2) advanced magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques (MR physics, pulse sequence design, image processing), and 3) design of patient-oriented, clinical radiology studies (biostatistics, ..
- Vitamin D and Vascular Function in Obese ChildrenKumaravel Rajakumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..will include (1) brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD) as a measure of vascular endothelial function;(2) pulse wave velocity as a measure of arterial stiffness;(3) surrogate estimates of insulin sensitivity (fasting glucose/..
- Conservative Versus Dialytic Management in Stage V Chronic Kidney DiseaseGLENN MATTHEW CHERTOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..cognitive function, mental health, nutritional and inflammatory status, body composition, blood pressure and pulse wave velocity, hospitalization rate and number of hospital days...
- Mechanisms of assembly of photoreceptor G protein complexesBarry M Willardson; Fiscal Year: 2013..these aims, a number of methods are proposed including site-directed mutagenesis and cell-based binding assays, pulse-chase assembly measurements of protein complexes, purification of large protein complexes and cryo-electron ..
- Biofilm matrix-degrading enzymes for the treatment and prevention of S. aureus-asJeffrey B Kaplan; Fiscal Year: 2013..freshly contaminated full-thickness wounds? (3) Do matrix-degrading enzymes potentiate the ability of pulse irrigation treatment to decontaminate freshly contaminated full-thickness wounds? Studies will be carried out ..
- Neuroprotective strategies in seizure-induced damageJANA VELISKOVA; Fiscal Year: 2011..that neuroprotection is associated with increased late phase inhibition in the dentate gyrus determined by paired pulse stimulation...
- Hospital and Household Studies of Respiratory Cryptosporidiosis and TransmissionJeffrey K Griffiths; Fiscal Year: 2013..The respiratory status of all children will be rigorously assessed, including pulse oximetry. Both groups will be screened for Cr...
- Improving ambulatory community access after paralysisRudi Kobetic; Fiscal Year: 2012..If meeting inclusion criteria they will undergo baseline gait evaluation and have an 8-channel implantable pulse generator (IPG) and intramuscular electrodes surgically installed to correct their gait deficit...
- Neuroplasticity with alcohol dependenceScott C Steffensen; Fiscal Year: 2013..1) We will evaluate spontaneous and evoked inhibitory and excitatory synaptic transmission, paired-pulse responses, total charge transfer, AMPAR/NMDAR ratio and AMPA rectification index using patch clamp ..
- Calcification and Vascular Cell DifferentiationCecilia M Giachelli; Fiscal Year: 2013..It leads to cardiac valve stenosis, increased pulse pressure, hypertension and may contribute to plaque rupture, all of which can lead to heart failure...
- Integrated MRI-Based Examination for Evaluation of Peripheral Arterial DiseaseFelix W Wehrli; Fiscal Year: 2010..Compliance is often inferred from a measurement of pulse wave velocity (PWV), which is proportional to vessel wall stiffness, and thus is inversely related to compliance...
- Targeted epigenetic silencing of oncogenic Transcription Factors (PQ18)Pilar Blancafort; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will express the 6ZF constructs using inducible vectors to "pulse" and "chase" DNAme in cell culture and breast tumor models...
- Vascular Structure and Function in Arteriovenous Fistula MaturationJonathan Himmelfarb; Fiscal Year: 2012..of brachial artery flow mediated and nitroglycerin-induced dilation, b) fingertip tonometric measurement of pulse amplitude, c) arterial pulse wave velocity as a measure of arterial stiffness, and d) forearm venous ..
- Identification and Characterization of Adult Salivary Gland Stem CellsSoosan Ghazizadeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..mice with regulated expression of H2B-GFP targeted to epithelial cells in salivary glands and perform long-term pulse-chase labeling to identify slow-dividing cells...
- Mechanisms Underlying the Progression of Arterial Stiffness in HypertensionJay D Humphrey; Fiscal Year: 2013..Easily measured clinical metrics, such as pulse wave velocity, can and must play an increasingly greater role in cardiovascular risk assessment, but we must ..
- Mouse model for eyelid disease: Congenital blepharophimosisChia Yang Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..of a novel triple transgenic mouse strain, namely Kera-rtTA/tetO-Cre/R26floxedN1-ICD (KR/TC/R26fN1- ICD), by pulse induction of doxycycline (Dox) at different developmental stages...
- African and European Descent, Ocular Blood Flow and Glaucoma ProgressionAlon Harris; Fiscal Year: 2013..flowmetry of retinal capillaries, ocular perfusion pressure calculations, refraction, Pascal applanation (ocular pulse amplitude) and medical questionnaires...
- Legionella pneumophila developmental cycle & virulencePAUL STOKES HOFFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..with sub aims of (i) tracking morphogenesis by light and electron microscopy;(i) by reporter gene fusions;(iii) pulse chase radiolabeling and proteome profiling and (iv)to assess cyst forms for resilience to detergents, biocides, ..
- Validation in Baboon Model of Broadband NIR Monitoring for Neonate Gut PerfusionDavid A Benaron; Fiscal Year: 2012..pre-term neonates relies on the traditional methods of monitoring such as arterial blood pressure, heart rate, pulse oximetry, urine output and evidence of metabolic acidosis...
- Cardiac function and PIP2Donald W Hilgemann; Fiscal Year: 2013..NCX1 couples to MEND, new NCX1 fusion proteins have been developed for on-line monitoring of NCX1 internalization, pulse-chase tracking of NCX1, and improved analysis of NCX1 mobility...
- Imaging of gene delivery in the central nervous systemAssaf A Gilad; Fiscal Year: 2010..This approach is based on the chemical exchange saturation transfer (CEST) contrast mechanism. A radiofrequency pulse is applied to saturate specific amide protons, reducing the water signal...
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkEdward K Chien; Fiscal Year: 2013..used in obstetric practice (ultrasound cervical length, fetal fibronectin, home uterine monitoring, fetal pulse oximetry)...
- Evaluation of an MRI Biomarker for Meniscal RepairHollis G Potter; Fiscal Year: 2010..First, a water-sensitive pulse sequence will be used to evaluate potential fluid imbibition into the repair site...
- 1st Tier Drugs+Theophylline in Pediatric Severe AsthmaJERRY JOHN ZIMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..appears to be associated with faster resolution of quantitative asthma scores, more rapid normalization of pulse oximetry saturation, and respiratory rate, and accelerated improvement in spirometry variables associated with ..
- Clinical Translation of Nitrite Therapy to Treat Arterial Aging in HumansDouglas R Seals; Fiscal Year: 2012..In old C57/BL6 mice we found that 3 weeks of sodium nitrite supplementation in drinking water reduced aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV), a measure of aortic stiffness, and intrinsic carotid artery stiffness by 50-80%, and ..
- Low energy ventricular defibrillatorQun Sha; Fiscal Year: 2012..defibrillation system based on the VEP concept incorporating two different engineering approaches;1) variable pulse modulation and 2) single FET power amplifier system...
- Development of a nanosecond pulsed electric field system to treat skin cancerRICHARD LEE NUCCITELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..We also developed a microprocessor-controlled pulse delivery system for easy use in the clinical trials of the PulseCure...
- East African Cichlids: A Natural Model for Dental RegenerationRYAN FREDRIC BLOOMQUIST; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will then employ pulse-chase analysis to verify the location and character of putative stem cells in support of my ISH experiments...
- Development of an instrument to track oxygen from blood to mitochondria in vivoKenneth A Schenkman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evidenced by the explosion of new pulse oximetry and near infrared spectroscopy (NIRS) devices on the market, optical spectroscopy is attractive for ..
- Stem/progenitor cells of the chondrocyte and osteoblast lineage in vivoNoriaki Ono; Fiscal Year: 2013..A chondrocyte-specific pulse-chase experiment will be performed to identify slowly replicating cells based on a doxycycline-regulatable Tet-off ..
- Neural basis of leptin action on reproductionCarol Fuzeti Elias; Fiscal Year: 2013..those with hypothalamic amenorrhea resulting from a period of increased weight lost, leptin treatment increased pulse frequency and mean levels of LH, ovarian volume, number of dominant follicles and estradiol levels...
- Advanced technology for neural interfaces based on microstimulationDOUGLAS BUCHANAN MCCREERY; Fiscal Year: 2013..In a cat model, we will evaluate the safety of 140 hours of microstimulation in the cat cochlear nucleus at a pulse rate of 500 pps, in order to determine the roles of stimulus pulse rate and stimulus charge density in stimulation-..
- Auditory Cortex Plasticity and TinnitusBrian Allman; Fiscal Year: 2012..To determine which noise-exposed rats develop chronic tinnitus, behavioral testing with a gap pre-pulse inhibition acoustic startle paradigm will be used, and the results will be correlated with the ..
- Investigating the role of the cell cycle protein E2F1 in HIV-induced neurotoxicitJacob Zyskind; Fiscal Year: 2013..Stability of cleaved E2F1 protein will be compared to stability of full length E2F1 by pulse-chase...
- CLINICAL TRANSLATION OF 19F MRI TO VISUALIZE CANCER IMMUNOTHERAPEUTIC CELLSAmy K Wesa; Fiscal Year: 2012..3a) Implementation of sensitive 19F MRI/MRS methods on a 3T clinical MRI system. We will optimize pulse sequences and evaluate the minimum detectable cell numbers using phantom studies...
- Clinical Translation of Curcumin Therapy to Treat Arterial AgingDouglas R Seals; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preclinical results indicate that chow supplemented with curcumin reduces aortic pulse wave velocity (PWV), the most common and clinically important measure of large elastic artery stiffness, restores ..
- Placental serotonin transporter uses ERp44 and Ero1-L for maturation.Fusun Kilic; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed study will utilized pulse-chase experiments and immunoprecipitation assays to monitor the biogenesis of SERT proteins in (i) JAR cells, and ..
- Protein intake, nutrition and cardiovascular disease in stage V CKDSrinivasan Beddhu; Fiscal Year: 2011..Arterial stiffness (aortic pulse wave velocity) and myocardial injury (serum cardiac troponin T)...
- WEARABLE SENSOR FOR CONTINUOUS NONINVASIVE MONITORING OF PULSE PRESSURESridhar Madala; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Wearable Sensor for Continuous Noninvasive Monitoring of Pulse Pressure Blood pressure and pulse pressure are among the most commonly measured parameters to assess cardiovascular function...
- MICROVASCULAR PERMEABILITY OF THE CEREBRAL CIRCULATIONWILLIAM MAYHAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Thus, changes in pulse pressure may modulate endothelium dependent responses of cerebral arterioles...
- Non-intrusive Locomotion and Gait Stability Analysis Monitoring System for the ElSunil Saxena; Fiscal Year: 2007..form-friendly, wireless, wrist-based device that provides the following functions: (1) Body Temperature (2) Pulse Oximetry (3) Heart Rate and (4) Location Information...
- Brain H2D MRS: Implemation and Initial ApplicationsZhiyue Wang; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific aims are: (1) to implement 2D spin-echo double-quantum MRS pulse sequences for in vivo measurement of brain metabolites in 1...
- Dual-pulse electrical stimulation for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..We, therefore, propose a novel method of GES: dual pulse GES. It uses a stimulus composed of a short pulse (or pulses) followed with a long pulse...
- Pulse CO-Oximeter for Multiple Hemoglobin SpeciesJONAS POLOGE; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Conventional pulse oximetry has significant limitations because it works on the assumption that there are only two species of hemoglobin present in arterial blood, oxygenated hemoglobin (O2Hb) and ..
- Dual Pulse Electrical Stimulation for GastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..A novel method of GES is proposed in this application: two-channel synchronized dual pulse GES...
- Mechanisms of the Relaxation Response in Elderly HypertensivesJeffery A Dusek; Fiscal Year: 2010..Systolic blood pressure was significantly decreased by 9.4 mmHg and pulse pressure by 7.9 mmHg...
- Oxide Glass Fiber Optimized for Short Pulse IR LasersDanh Tran; Fiscal Year: 2006There is a clinical need for optimized fiber transmission of short pulse mid-IR laser radiation for surgical applications. Large potential markets such as skin resurfacing, dentistry, and ophthalmology utilize the Er:YSGG (2...
- Surgical Laser device development for precise or bulk ablation of urologic tissueJonathon D Wells; Fiscal Year: 2010..work, Lockheed Martin Aculight will develop and test a thulium fiber laser that is capable of two distinct pulse modes, including a novel short pulse mode for fast cutting and a continuous wave mode...
- INTRAGONADOTROPE PATHWAYS REGULATING GENE TRANSCRIPTIONJohn C Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2010..gonadtrope cells that mediate differential transcriptional responses to gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) pulse frequency...
- Multi-electrode Arrays with Non-hermetic Encapsulation for Neural ProsthesesStuart F Cogan; Fiscal Year: 2010..applicant): Neural prostheses presently in commercial use employ foil and wire electrodes connected to implantable pulse generators (IPGs) housed in hermetically sealed titanium cans...
- Adaptive Sensory Processing in a South American FishCURTIS BELL; Fiscal Year: 2003..specifically, this project is concerned with gymnotiforrn fish in which the electric organ discharge is a brief pulse of electric current...
- NEUROETHOLOGY OF ELECTRIC COMMUNICATIONCARL HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2000..signal production and evolution, and will explore the neuronal basis for electric signal recognition among pulse-type electric fish...
- FIBER OPTIC SENSORS BASED ON POLMER SWELLINGRUDOLF SEITZ; Fiscal Year: 1999..A pulse of light is introduced into two different lengths of optical fiber using a 2X2 fiber optic coupler...
- Clinical trials data collection during patient care using a novel technology soluGREGORY JAMES CLARY; Fiscal Year: 2010..offeror propose to develop and test a novel hardware and software combination solution composed of the Livescribe Pulse Smartpen with Mi-Forms data collection software, for use in clinical data collection during patient care ..
- Development of a Pre-Hospital Ultra-Wide Band Radar Cardiac Function MonitorGregory Walcott; Fiscal Year: 2007..call for the stopping of chest compressions for the determination of the presence or absence of a carotid pulse by healthcare personnel when performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation, yet performance of pulse checks is time ..
- Clinical Utility of MR based Hydrodynamic Parameters in Chiari MalformationFrancis Loth; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that hydrodynamic changes to the CSF system, specifically longitudinal impedance, pulse wave velocity, and volumetric expansion, may better reflect the underlying pathophysiology associated with CM ..