Genomes and Genes
Summary: Application of fingers with light pressure to the surface of the body to determine consistence of parts beneath in physical diagnosis; includes palpation for determining the outlines of organs.
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- A systematic, critical review of manual palpation for identifying myofascial trigger points: evidence and clinical significanceCorrie Myburgh
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 89:1169-76. 2008To determine the reproducibility of manual palpation in identifying trigger points based on a systematic review of available literature.
- Diagnostic value of nodule palpation in onchocerciasisH P Duerr
Department of Medical Biometry, University of Tubingen, Westbahnhofstr 55, 72070 Tübingen, Germany
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:148-54. 2008Nodule palpation is the major diagnostic tool for determining the prevalence of infection in areas of the African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC) and is recommended for identifying communities at risk and selecting them for ..
- Reliability of spinal palpation for diagnosis of back and neck pain: a systematic review of the literatureMichael A Seffinger
Department of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E413-25. 2004..A systematic review...
- Evaluation of abnormal mammography results and palpable breast abnormalitiesKarla Kerlikowske
University of California, San Francisco, General Internal Medicine Section, Department of Veterans Affairs, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:274-84. 2003....
- Comparison between the reliability levels of manual palpation and pressure pain threshold in children who reported orofacial painThais Cristina Chaves
Department of Biomechanics, Medicine and Rehabilitation of the Locomotor Apparatus, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo USP, Campus Universitario, CEP 14049 900 Ribeirão Preto SP Brasil
Man Ther 15:508-12. 2010..of this study was to compare the intra- and inter-rater reliability of pressure pain threshold (PPT) and manual palpation (MP) of orofacial structures in symptomatic and symptom-free children for temporomandibular disorders (TMD)...
- Is there correlation between electromyography and digital palpation as means of measuring pelvic floor muscle contractility in nulliparous, pregnant, and postpartum women?Simone Botelho
Federal University of Alfenas UNIFAL MG, Alfenas, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Neurourol Urodyn 32:420-3. 2013..This study aims to investigate if digital palpation of the pelvic floor muscles presents correlation with its electromyographic activity.
- Which spinal levels are identified by palpation of the iliac crests and the posterior superior iliac spines?Robin Chakraverty
Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Anat 210:232-6. 2007..This study aimed to assess the spinal level identified through palpation of surface anatomy (iliac crests and posterior superior iliac spines) in adults and the level of agreement ..
- Pretreatment staging of cervical cancer: is imaging better than palpation?: Role of CT and MRI in preoperative staging of cervical cancer: single institution results for 255 patientsKatharina Hancke
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, University of Ulm, Prittwitzstrasse 43, 89075, Ulm, Germany
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2856-61. 2008....
- A prospective study to determine the incidence of non-imaged malignant pulmonary nodules in patients who undergo metastasectomy by thoracotomy with lung palpationRobert J Cerfolio
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 91:1696-700; discussion 1700-1. 2011To prospectively assess the incidence of non-imaged malignant nodules in patients who undergo thoracotomy for metastasectomy with bimanual lung palpation.
- Accuracy of identification of the cricothyroid membrane in female subjects using palpation: an observational studyAnastasia Aslani
Department of Anaesthesia, The Rotunda Hospital, Dublin 1, Ireland
Anesth Analg 114:987-92. 2012..The reasons for this failure are unclear. We sought to determine the ability of physicians to correctly identify the CTM in female patients...
- Comparison of transvaginal digital examination with intrapartum sonography to determine fetal head position before instrumental deliveryS Akmal
Harris Birthright Research Centre for Fetal Medicine, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 21:437-40. 2003..To investigate the accuracy of intrapartum transvaginal digital examination in defining the position of the fetal head before instrumental delivery...
- Accuracy of ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of non-palpable testisKazuhiro Kanemoto
Department of Nephro urology and Quantum Radiology, Nagoya City University, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
Int J Urol 12:668-72. 2005..Studies were needed to evaluate the accuracy of ultrasonography (US) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) for diagnosing non-palpable testis, and to study the clinical usefulness of US and MRI before surgical exploration...
- Intrapartum fetal head position II: comparison between transvaginal digital examination and transabdominal ultrasound assessment during the second stage of laborD M Sherer
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10019, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 19:264-8. 2002..A secondary objective was to compare the performance of attending physicians vs. senior residents in depicting fetal head position by transvaginal digital examination in comparison with ultrasound assessment...
- Intrapartum fetal head position I: comparison between transvaginal digital examination and transabdominal ultrasound assessment during the active stage of laborD M Sherer
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10019, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 19:258-63. 2002..A secondary objective was to compare the performance of attending physicians vs. senior residents in depicting fetal head position by transvaginal digital examination in comparison with ultrasound, respectively...
- MRI vs. histologic measurement of breast cancer following chemotherapy: comparison with x-ray mammography and palpationP T Weatherall
Department of Radiology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, 5801 Forest Park Rd, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 13:868-75. 2001..The accuracy of MRI did not vary with the size of cancer residua. MRI is an accurate method for preoperative assessment of breast cancer residua following chemotherapy. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 2001;13:868-875...
- Ultrasound-guided breast-sparing surgery to improve cosmetic outcomes and quality of life. A prospective multicentre randomised controlled clinical trial comparing ultrasound-guided surgery to traditional palpation-guided surgery (COBALT trial)Nicole M A Krekel
Department of Surgical Oncology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Surg 11:8. 2011..Surgical resection of palpable breast cancer is performed with guidance by intra-operative palpation. These palpation-guided excisions often result in an unnecessarily wide resection of adjacent healthy breast ..
- Tender point sensitivity, range of motion, and perceived disability in subjects with neck painS L Olson
Texas Woman s University, Houston Center 77030, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 30:13-20. 2000..Descriptive analysis of impairment and disability measures in subjects with neck pain...
- Robotic palpation and mechanical property characterization for abnormal tissue localizationBummo Ahn
The Simulation Group, Department of Radiology, Center for Integration of Medicine and Innovative Technology, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Med Biol Eng Comput 50:961-71. 2012b>Palpation is an intuitive examination procedure in which the kinesthetic and tactile sensations of the physician are used...
- Transdeltoid palpation (the rent test) in the diagnosis of rotator cuff tearsE M Wolf
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 10:470-3. 2001The purpose of this study was to assess the diagnostic accuracy of transdeltoid palpation (the rent test) for the diagnosis of full thickness rotator cuff tear...
- An intraoperative assessment of the ascending aorta: a comparison of digital palpation, transesophageal echocardiography, and epiaortic ultrasonographySujeeth Suvarna
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery The Heart and UCL Hospitals, London, United Kingdom
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:805-9. 2007..This study compared the relationship among the findings of digital palpation (DP), transesophageal echocardiography (TEE), and epiaortic ultrasound (EAU) in the detection of atheroma in the ..
- Reviewing the technological challenges associated with the development of a laparoscopic palpation devicePeter Culmer
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Int J Med Robot 8:146-59. 2012..touching and manipulating tissue and therefore severely restricts the use of valuable techniques such as palpation. Accordingly a key challenge in MIS is to restore haptic feedback to the surgeon...
- Integrating a bovine rectal palpation simulator into an undergraduate veterinary curriculumSarah Baillie
Clyde Veterinary Group, Lanark, ML11 7RX, UK
J Vet Med Educ 32:79-85. 2005There are problems associated with teaching bovine rectal palpation to undergraduate veterinary students...
- Value of visual inspection, bimanual palpation, and intraoperative ultrasonography during hepatic resection for liver metastases of colorectal carcinomaShojiro Hata
Division of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic and Transplantation Surgery, Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 0033, Japan
World J Surg 35:2779-87. 2011..Intraoperative detection of new nodules is common in patients undergoing hepatectomy for colorectal liver metastases, although the value of intraoperative diagnosis is not well assessed...
- Virtual palpation of skeletal landmarks with multimodal display interfacesFulvia Taddei
Laboratorio di Tecnologia Medica, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, Bologna, Italy
Med Inform Internet Med 32:191-8. 2007..of a multimodal display interface to direct volumetric interactive visualization in performing a virtual palpation task. An expert operator used the CT dataset of a patient's thigh region to locate 14 femoral skeletal landmarks...
- A review of intraexaminer and interexaminer reliability of static spinal palpation: a literature synthesisMichael T Haneline
Palmer College of Chiropractic West, San Jose, CA 95134, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 32:379-86. 2009The purposes of this study were to locate articles that assessed the reliability of static palpation of the spine and sacroiliac joints, to appraise the quality of these studies, and synthesize their results.
- The mandibular angle as a landmark for identification of cervical spinal levelJoshua D Auerbach
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1006-11. 2009..Retrospective radiographic review...
- Investigation of palpation as a method for determining the prevalence of keel and furculum damage in laying hensL J Wilkins
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Bristol BS40 5DU
Vet Rec 155:547-9. 2004Old breaks of the keel and furculum were identified by palpation in 500 end-of-lay hens from 10 flocks housed in free-range and barn systems, and the results were compared with the results obtained by a full dissection and inspection...
- Is pulse palpation helpful in detecting atrial fibrillation? A systematic reviewGeorga Cooke
University of Queensland, Australia
J Fam Pract 55:130-4. 2006..Atrial fibrillation in the elderly is common and potentially life threatening. The classical sign of atrial fibrillation is an irregularly irregular pulse...
- Palpation identification of spinous processes in the lumbar spineJoanne C Harlick
School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago, P O Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Man Ther 12:56-62. 2007..a cohort of 15 consecutive low back pain (LBP) patients presenting for X-rays and were asked to use surface palpation to identify the L1, L3 and L5 SPs...
- Assessment of clinical palpation of the axilla as a criterion for performing the sentinel node procedure in breast cancerC Lanng
Breast Surgery Clinic, Horsholm Hospital, Usserod Kongevej 102, DK 2970 Horsholm, Denmark
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:281-4. 2007..Many studies have shown, however, that clinical assessment of axillary LNs is inaccurate. This study evaluated the reliability of clinical axillary LN assessment by experts and assessed whether inaccuracy can be related to LN size...
- Intraoperative ultrasound with palpation is still superior to intra-arterial calcium stimulation test in localising insulinomaM Wong
Department of Medicine, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
World J Surg 31:586-92. 2007....
- Interexaminer reliability and accuracy of posterior superior iliac spine and iliac crest palpation for spinal level estimationsHye Won Kim
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Korea
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 30:386-9. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare the posterior superior iliac spine (PSIS) and the iliac crest as accurate anatomical landmarks for identifying spinal level...
- Accuracy of helical CT in the detection of pulmonary metastases: is intraoperative palpation still necessary?Alden M Parsons
Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7065, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1910-6; discussion 1916-8. 2004..The standard approach involves careful intraoperative palpation of the lungs because more metastases are frequently found than were seen by preoperative conventional computed ..
- Relation of reproductive performances and rectal palpation for luteum function of heifers 7 days after estrusTatsuyuki Yoshida
Department of Animal Science, Nippon Veterinary and Life Science University, Musashino, Japan
Anim Sci J 83:207-12. 2012Diagnosis of corpus luteum (CL) function by rectal palpation (RP) has been widely used for recipient selection of embryo transfer (ET), a technology essential for genetic improvements in cattle...
- Reliability of scapular positioning measurement procedure using the palpation meter (PALM)Bruno R da Costa
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada Graduate Program in Physical Therapy, Pontificia Universidade Catolica, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Physiotherapy 96:59-67. 2010..The objective of this study was to investigate the reliability of the Palpation Meter (PALM) for measuring scapular position when the glenohumeral joint is held in various positions.
- An examination of surface EMG for the assessment of muscle tension dysphoniaEvelyne Van Houtte
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
J Voice 27:177-86. 2013..sEMG was examined as a diagnostic tool to differentiate between patients with MTD and controls...
- Students' views on the impact of peer physical examination and palpation as a pedagogic tool for teaching and learning living human anatomyTudor I Chinnah
Institute of Clinical Education, Peninsula Medical School, Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, St Luke s Campus, University of Exeter, UK
Med Teach 33:e27-36. 2011..Modern medical education teaching and learning approaches now lay emphasis on students acquiring knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant to medical practice...
- Comparison of neck tension palpation rating systems with surface electromyographic and acoustic measures in vocal hyperfunctionCara E Stepp
Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Harvard MIT Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Voice 25:67-75. 2011The purpose of this study was to evaluate current neck tension palpation rating systems to determine interrater reliability and possible correlation with necksurface electromyography (sEMG, collected from three electrode recording ..
- Comparison of pelvic floor muscle strength between women undergoing vaginal delivery, cesarean section, and nulliparae using a perineometer and digital palpationElicéia Marcia Batista
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Universidade Federal de Goias, Goiania GO, Brazil
Gynecol Endocrinol 27:910-4. 2011..strength between women undergoing vaginal delivery, cesarean section, and nulliparae, investigating the factors associated with PFM strength, and observing the correlation between vaginal digital palpation and use of a perineometer.
- Robotic palpation-based mechanical property mapping for diagnosis of prostate cancerBummo Ahn
Department of Mechanical Engineering, School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Systems Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, Korea
J Endourol 25:851-7. 2011..The aim of this study was to estimate the mechanical properties (elasticity) of normal and cancer prostate tissues and to develop a tissue elasticity map for the diagnosis and localization of prostate cancer...
- Reliability and validity of a palpation technique for identifying the spinous processes of C7 and L5Roar Robinson
University of Bergen, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, Section for Physiotherapy Science, Bergen, Norway
Man Ther 14:409-14. 2009..and validity of two therapists identifying the spinous processes (SP) of C7 and L5, using one predefined surface palpation procedure for each level...
- [Physical diagnosis--percussion and palpation of liver]M Levi
afd Inwendige Geneeskunde, Academisch Medisch Centrum Universiteit van Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 144:835-8. 2000Percussion and palpation of the liver can produce useful information regarding size, consistency and the surface of the lower liver edge...
- Are anatomic landmarks reliable in determination of fusion level in posterolateral lumbar fusion?N A Ebraheim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:973-4. 1999Determination of the fusion level by direct observation and palpation of anatomic landmarks is compared with the finding obtained from a lateral intraoperative radiograph.
- Reproduction of chest pain by palpation: diagnostic accuracy in suspected pulmonary embolismGregoire Le Gal
Equipe d accueil 3878 GETBO, Brest University Hospital, 29609 Brest, France
BMJ 330:452-3. 2005
- Manual palpation of lumbo-pelvic landmarks: a validity studyJulia Kilby
Physiotherapy Department, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Mindelsohn Way, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Man Ther 17:259-62. 2012Manual palpation (MP) is commonly used for the assessment of patients with neuromusculoskeletal dysfunction...
- Identification of the correct cervical level by palpation of spinous processesSeokyung Shin
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Yonsei University Health System, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 112:1232-5. 2011..The conventional palpation method, which identifies the most prominent cervical spinous process as the seventh cervical (C7) spinous ..
- Comparison of the learning curves of digital examination and transabdominal sonography for the determination of fetal head position during laborP Rozenberg
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Reproductive Biology and Cytogenetics, Poissy Saint Germain Hospital, University Versailles St Quentin, Poissy, France
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 31:332-7. 2008..To evaluate the learning curve of transabdominal sonography for the determination of fetal head position in labor and to compare it with that of digital vaginal examination...
- Accuracy and reliability of palpation and percussion for detecting hepatomegaly: a rural hospital-based studyRajnish Joshi
Division of Epidemiology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Indian J Gastroenterol 23:171-4. 2004b>Palpation and percussion are standard bedside techniques used to diagnose hepatomegaly...
- A comparison of palpation guided and ultrasound guided percutaneous biceps brachii tenotomy in dogsM L Esterline
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506, USA
Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 18:135-9. 2005The purpose of this study was to compare palpation guided and ultrasound guided techniques for biceps brachii tenotomy in dogs...
- Comparison of ultrasound-, palpation-, and scintigraphy-guided steroid injections in the treatment of plantar fasciitisIstemi Yucel
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Duzce, Duzce, Turkey
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:695-701. 2009The aim of the study was to compare the efficacies of steroid injections guided by scintigraphy, ultrasonography, and palpation in plantar fasciitis.
- Cytokine biomarkers and chronic pain: association of genes, transcription, and circulating proteins with temporomandibular disorders and widespread palpation tendernessGary D Slade
Center for Neurosensory Disorders, School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
Pain 152:2802-12. 2011..We evaluated relationships between cytokines and TMD without or with widespread palpation tenderness (TMD-WPT or TMD+WPT, respectively) at protein, transcription factory activity, and gene levels...
- The assessment of levator trauma: a comparison between palpation and 4D pelvic floor ultrasoundH P Dietz
Nepean Campus, Western Clinical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Neurourol Urodyn 25:424-7. 2006..While they are clearly evident on 3D ultrasound and MR imaging, such defects can be difficult to detect clinically. We intended to compare findings on palpation with the results of ultrasound imaging.
- Ultrasonography is unnecessary in evaluating boys with a nonpalpable testisJack S Elder
Division of Pediatric Urology, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Department of Urology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Pediatrics 110:748-51. 2002..An inguinal sonogram often is obtained in boys with a nonpalpable testis to "localize" the testis, ie, determine whether the testis is present. The results of ultrasonography in boys with a nonpalpable testis were analyzed...
- Ultrasonography using simple diagnostic criteria vs palpation for the detection of regional lymph node metastases of melanomaPhilippe Saiag
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Université Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Boulogne, France
Arch Dermatol 141:183-9. 2005Our aims were (1) to compare the respective ability of ultrasonography and palpation to detect nodal metastasis during initial staging and follow-up in patients having melanomas and (2) to assess, we believe for the first time, which ..
- Palpation of the lateral pterygoid area in the myofascial pain diagnosisPaulo Cesar Rodrigues Conti
Department of Prosthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:e61-6. 2008To evaluate the diagnostic value of intraoral palpation at the lateral pterygoid (LP) area as part of the physical examination to detect myofascial pain, according to modified research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders.
- Accuracy of ultrasound-guided versus palpation-guided acromioclavicular joint injections: a cadaveric studyEvan Peck
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
PM R 2:817-21. 2010To describe a technique for sonographically guided acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) injections and compare its accuracy to palpation-guided injections in a cadaveric model.
- Ultrasound-guided internal jugular venous cannulation in infants: a prospective comparison with the traditional palpation methodS T Verghese
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s National Medical Center and George Washington University, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Anesthesiology 91:71-7. 1999..In this prospective study, the authors tested their hypothesis that using an ultrasound scanner would increase the success of internal jugular cannulation and decrease the incidence of carotid artery puncture in infants...
- Accuracy of ultrasound-guided and palpation-guided knee injections by an experienced and less-experienced injector using a superolateral approach: a cadaveric studyHeather M Curtiss
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center, Rochester, MN, USA
PM R 3:507-15. 2011To evaluate the accuracy of ultrasound (US)-guided and palpation-guided knee injections by an experienced and a less-experienced clinician with use of a superolateral approach.
- Quantitative assessment of radiation-induced fibrosis of the breast with tissue compliance meter, palpation, and radiological imaging: preliminary resultsA Gabriella Wernicke
Radiation Oncology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Breast J 15:583-92. 2009..We compare assessment of RIF by palpation and tissue compliance meter (TCM) to the radiological findings in women treated with RT...
- [Optimization of sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer by intraoperative axillary palpation]J Serrano Vicente
Servicio de Medicina Nuclear, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Badajoz, Badajoz, Espana
Rev Esp Med Nucl 29:8-11. 2010..Infiltered sentinel nodes are generally increased in size and firm. Thus, they can be detected by intraoperative palpation, even when there is no uptake by the radiotracer.
- The influence of time on the accuracy of healthcare personnel to diagnose paediatric cardiac arrest by pulse palpationJames Tibballs
Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Resuscitation 81:671-5. 2010To determine time and accuracy diagnosing paediatric cardiac arrest (CA) by pulse palpation.
- Intraoperative ultrasound is associated with clear lumpectomy margins for palpable infiltrating ductal breast cancerM M Moore
Martha Jefferson Physician Hospital Organization, Charlottesville, Virginia 22903, USA
Ann Surg 233:761-8. 2001..To evaluate the efficacy of intraoperative ultrasound in obtaining adequate surgical margins in women undergoing lumpectomy for palpable breast cancer...
- Spinal palpation: The challenges of information retrieval using available databasesLinda S Murphy
Susan Samueli Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, University of California Irvine, College of Medicine, Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 26:374-82. 2003..first, what is the yield of PubMed MEDLINE for complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) studies compared to other databases; second, what is an effective search strategy to answer a sample research question on spinal palpation?
- Prevalence of pain on palpation of the inferior pole of the patella among patients with complaints of knee painLeonardo Addêo Ramos
Sports Traumatology Center, Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Federal University of São Paulo São Paulo SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:199-202. 2009..Among various diagnostic tests, the one most used is palpation of the inferior pole of the patella...
- Musculoskeletal chest wall syndromes in patients with noncardiac chest pain: a study of 100 patientsC M Wise
Department of Medicine, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27103
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 73:147-9. 1992..Sixty-nine patients had chest wall tenderness. Typical chest pain was evoked by palpation in 16 patients. Tender areas were not found in a control group of patients without chest pain...
- Metastases in supraclavicular lymph nodes in lung cancer: assessment with palpation, US, and CTHans van Overhagen
Department of Radiology, Leyenburg Hospital, Leyweg 245, 2545 CH The Hague, The Netherlands
Radiology 232:75-80. 2004To compare ultrasonography (US), computed tomography (CT), and palpation for diagnosing supraclavicular lung cancer metastases and to assess the effect of proved metastases on TNM stage and diagnostic work-up.
- Diagnosis of peripheral arterial disease in general practice: can the ankle-brachial index be measured either by pulse palpation or an automatic blood pressure device?V Aboyans
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and Vascular Medicine, Dupuytren University Hospital, Limoges and EA3174 IFR 175, Limoges University, France
Int J Clin Pract 62:1001-7. 2008..We hypothesized that ABI could be accurately measured either by pulse palpation (pABI) or automatic blood pressure devices (autoABI) instead of Doppler method (dABI).
- Comparison of ultrasonographic and laparoscopic findings in adult nonpalpable testes casesMehmet Zekai Pekkafali
Department of Radiology, Gulhane Military Medicine Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Urol 44:124-7. 2003..In this prospective study, we compared the sonographic and laparoscopic findings in adult cases with nonpalpable testes to assess the necessity and the profits of ultrasound...
- [The accuracy of palpation from orientation points for the navigated implantation of knee prostheses]R Fuiko
Orthopädisches Spital Gersthof, Vienna, Austria
Orthopade 33:338-43. 2004..In this anatomical study, landmarks are defined and repeatedly referenced. Precision and reproducibility are evaluated by means of an inter- and an intra-observer study. The axes of the femur and tibia are calculated using the landmarks...
- Palpation of the lateral pterygoid region in TMD--where is the evidence?J C Turp
Department of Prosthodontics, Albert Ludwigs University Dental School, Hugstetter Str 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
J Dent 29:475-83. 2001b>Palpation of the lower head of the lateral pterygoid muscle is included in many study protocols and examination schemes of the masticatory system...
- Which is important in the evaluation of metastatic lymph nodes in head and neck cancer: palpation, ultrasonography, or computed tomography?Ilknur Haberal
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery Department, Health Ministry Ankara Education and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:197-201. 2004Evaluate palpation, ultrasonography (USG), and computed tomography (CT) with respect to their value for comparative determination of metastatic lymph nodes in head and neck cancer.
- Standardized manual palpation of myofascial trigger points in relation to neck/shoulder pain; the influence of clinical experience on inter-examiner reproducibilityCorrie Myburgh
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Man Ther 16:136-40. 2011A diagnosis of Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS) requires palpation for the identification of at least one clinically relevant trigger point (TP)...
- Diagnostic value of magnetic resonance imaging in Peyronie's disease--a comparison both with palpation and ultrasound in the evaluation of plaque formationEkkehard W Hauck
Department of Urology, Justus Liebig University, Rudolf Buchheim Str 7, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
Eur Urol 43:293-9; discussion 299-300. 2003To compare the value of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with palpation and ultrasound in the evaluation of plaque formation in Peyronie's disease.
- Efficacy of cervical endplay assessment as an indicator for spinal manipulationMitchell Haas
Division of Research, Western States Chiropractic College, Portland, Oregon 97230, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1091-6; discussion 1096. 2003..Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial...
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve identification and assessment during thyroid surgery: laryngeal palpationGregory W Randolph
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, 243 Charles Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
World J Surg 28:755-60. 2004..This study was undertaken to assess laryngeal palpation as an intraoperative technique for identifying and assessing the RLN during surgery and to investigate the ..
- Palpation as a method of fever determination in Malawian children who are less than 5 years old: how reliable is it?O C Nwanyanwu
Community Health Sciences Unit, Ministry of Health, Capital City, Lilongwe, Malawi
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 91:359-63. 1997Fever is a common occurrence in children who are < 5 years old and palpation of the forehead may or may not be a reliable method for determining fever in such children...
- Fever determination in young infants: prevalence and accuracy of parental palpationRachel J Katz-Sidlow
Department of Pediatrics, Jacobi Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 25:12-4. 2009..Many parents rely on palpation to assess their child's temperature...
- Reproducibility and repeatability: errors of three groups of physiotherapists in locating spinal levels by palpationE V Billis
School of Health and Social Sciences, Coventry University, Priory Street, Coventry, UK
Man Ther 8:223-32. 2003Location of spinal levels by palpation is an essential part of physiotherapy assessment and treatment of spinal musculoskeletal conditions...
- Intraexaminer and interexaminer reliability for palpation of the cranial rhythmic impulse at the head and sacrumR W Moran
School of Health Sciences, Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 24:183-90. 2001BACKGROUND: A range of health care practitioners use cranial techniques. Palpation of a cranial rhythmic impulse (CRI) is a fundamental clinical skill used in diagnosis and treatment with these techniques...
- Reproducibility and clinical utility of tendon palpation to detect patellar tendinopathy in young basketball players. Victorian Institute of Sport tendon study groupJ L Cook
School of Physiotherapy, LaTrobe University, Bundoora, Australia
Br J Sports Med 35:65-9. 2001b>Palpation is an important clinical test for jumper's knee.
- Reliability of pulse palpation by healthcare personnel to diagnose paediatric cardiac arrestJames Tibballs
Intensive Care Unit, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Resuscitation 80:61-4. 2009To determine the reliability of pulse palpation to diagnose paediatric cardiac arrest.
- Evaluation of manual cuff palpation to confirm proper endotracheal tube depthDavid Ledrick
Emergency Medicine Residency Program, St Vincent Mercy Medical Center, Toledo, Ohio, USA
Prehosp Disaster Med 23:270-4. 2008..In the prehospital setting, optimal endotracheal tube (ETT) depth may be approximated using the patient's sex or height, and assessed by auscultation. Even when using these methods, the ETTs still may be placed at inappropriate depths...
- Thyroid ultrasound compared with World Health Organization 1960 and 1994 palpation criteria for determination of goiter prevalence in regions of mild and severe iodine deficiencyM Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Endocrinol 143:727-31. 2000..In areas of mild iodine deficiency disorders (IDD) where goiters are small, ultrasound is preferable to palpation to estimate goiter prevalence...
- Scapular position: the validity of skin surface palpationJ Lewis
Department of Physiotherapy, Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust, London
Man Ther 7:26-30. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine if surface palpation is a valid indicator of actual scapular position...
- Is palpation of the nonresected pulmonary lobe(s) required for patients with non-small cell lung cancer? A prospective studyRobert James Cerfolio
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Ala 35294, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:261-8. 2008Video-assisted lobectomy is an increasingly used technique to treat patients with non-small cell lung cancer but it does not usually afford lung palpation.
- Recurrent disease after breast preserving therapy (BPT) and radiation therapy for breast cancer--diagnostic yield of palpation, mammography and ultrasonographyE Riebe
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald
Ultraschall Med 28:394-400. 2007According to the S-3 guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer, only palpation and mammography are mandatory follow-up examinations. Ultrasonography is only mentioned as an optional technique...
- Accuracy of lymph node palpation to determine need for lymphadenectomy in gynecologic malignanciesH A Arango
Morton Plant Mease Health Care, Clearwater, FL, USA
Obstet Gynecol 95:553-6. 2000To assess the accuracy of intraoperative lymph node palpation for identifying lymph node metastasis in gynecologic malignancies.
- 'Radioguided occult lesion localisation' (ROLL) for non-palpable breast lesions: a review of the relevant literatureI M C van der Ploeg
Department of Surgery, University Medical Centre Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 34:1-5. 2008..Intratumoural injection of a radiotracer identifies both the primary tumour and the sentinel lymph nodes for intraoperative gamma probe guided dissection...
- Diagnostic accuracy of palpation-guided and image-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroidSteven L Goudy
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinic, Iowa City, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 84:371-4. 2005We conducted a retrospective study to compare the sensitivity and specificity of traditional palpation-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) performed by clinicians and pathologists with that of image-guided FNAB performed by ..
- Intraoperative palpation for clinically suspicious axillary sentinel lymph nodes reduces the false-negative rate of sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancerMoshe Carmon
Breast Health Center, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Breast J 12:199-201. 2006..We assessed the effect of intraoperative axillary palpation for clinically suspicious lymph nodes that are not otherwise detected by radioactive tracer or blue dye on the ..
- Atlas-axis facet asymmetry. Implications in manual palpationJ K Ross
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1203-9. 1999STUDY DESIGN: A basic study of six human cervical spines, documenting displacement with applied forces mimicking palpation. OBJECTIVES: To assess the issues of motion palpation of joint restrictions and the inferred link to disease...
- Comparison of palpation-guided versus ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodules in an outpatient endocrinology practiceRoberto Izquierdo
Department of Medicine, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13202, USA
Endocr Pract 12:609-14. 2006..To investigate the role of thyroid ultrasonography in our outpatient endocrine practice...
- Relative accuracy of the identification of ovarian structures in the cow by ultrasonography and palpation per rectumC Hanzen
Department of Obstetrics and Reproductive Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, State University of Liege, B42 Sart Tilman, Liege, B 4000, Belgium
Vet J 159:161-70. 2000Manual palpation or ultrasonographic examination of the cow's genital tract are currently used by veterinarians involved in reproductive management, but knowledge of the potential and the limitations of both methods is important to ..
- Ankle-brachial index measured by palpation for the diagnosis of peripheral arterial diseaseRino Migliacci
Division of Internal Medicine, Ospedale della Valdichiana S Margherita, USL 8, Arezzo, Italy
Fam Pract 25:228-32. 2008....
- On the feasibility of remote palpation using acoustic radiation forceK R Nightingale
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 110:625-34. 2001A method of acoustic remote palpation, capable of imaging local variations in the mechanical properties of tissue, is under investigation...
- Identification of the lumbar interspinous spaces: palpation versus ultrasoundRobert Whitty
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave Suite 1514, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Anesth Analg 106:538-40, table of contents. 2008b>Palpation has been shown to be inaccurate at identifying lumbar interspinous spaces. Our goal in this study was to compare ultrasound imaging of the region to palpation.
- Cervicothoracic angina identified by case history and palpation findings in patients with stable angina pectorisHenrik Wulff Christensen
Nordic Institute of Chiropractic and Clinical Biomechanics, Odense, Denmark
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 28:303-11. 2005..Secondly, to examine the possibility of obtaining an objective diagnostic rule tool for the identification of cervicothoracic angina and to validate the diagnosis of this disorder...
- Vaginal palpation of pelvic floor muscle strength: inter-test reproducibility and comparison between palpation and vaginal squeeze pressureK Bø
Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, Ulleval Stadion, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:883-7. 2001Vaginal palpation is commonly used in clinical practice to teach and evaluate pelvic floor muscle strength, and several grading systems have been developed...
- Simultaneous palpation of the craniosacral rate at the head and feet: intrarater and interrater reliability and rate comparisonsJ S Rogers
US Air Force Academy Cadet Physical Therapy Clinic, US Air Force Academy, CO 80840, USA
Phys Ther 78:1175-85. 1998..purpose of this study was to determine the interrater and intrarater reliability of measurements obtained during palpation of the craniosacral rate at the head and feet...
- False negative sentinel node procedure established through palpation of the biopsy woundP J Tanis
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, Amsterdam, 1066 CX, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 26:714-5. 2000We describe our first false negative sentinel node biopsy after ceasing confirmatory axillary lymph node dissection in breast cancer. Palpation of the axilla through the biopsy wound prevented understaging.
- Interobserver reliability in physical examination of the cervical spine in patients with headacheH A van Suijlekom
Pain Management and Research Center, Departments of Anesthesiology and Neurology, University Hospital of Maastricht, The Netherlands
Headache 40:581-6. 2000..However, standardization of the clinical tests in order to improve their reliability is recommended...
- Exploratory Studies on the Anti-Breast Cancer Function of Bamboo ExtractJun Panee; Fiscal Year: 2010..the growth rate of the micro-tumors in the mammary glands before they would be perceptible by the regular palpation method;thereby efficiently evaluating the inhibitory effects of BEX on the initiation and early-stage promotion ..
- Low-cost handheld medical device for neuroaxial anesthesia guidance in the obeseFRANK WILLIAM MAULDIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..e. epidural and spinal anesthesia) is manual palpation of spinal bone landmarks followed by "blind" needle insertion...
- Tri-modal Polymeric Micelles for 'See &Treat'Applications in Surgical OncologyGlen S Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, the intraoperative assessment of tumor margins is merely based on palpation and visual inspection, resulting frequently in incomplete tumor resection (R1 resections)...
- Epigenetic alterations in oral rinse as biomarkers of oral and pharyngeal cancerScott M Langevin; Fiscal Year: 2013..screening techniques are in wide-spread use for oral &pharyngeal cancer aside from visual inspection and palpation. Use of oral rinse as a non-invasive technique for sample collection may have utility in detection of DNA ..
- New Intramuscular Electrodes for Respiratory Pacing in SCIJames S Walter; Fiscal Year: 2012..Muscle contractile responses to stimulation will also be rated based on observation and palpation. Stimulation testing methods will include duplicate tests with random order assignment...
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE ELASTOGRAPHYRichard L Ehman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This accounts for the efficacy of palpation as a clinical technique to detect cancer and other abnormalities...
- Detection of Malignant Tumors in the Breast Using Strain-Encoding (SENC) MagneticNael Osman; Fiscal Year: 2013..About 90% of breast lesions are found by palpation, either through self- inspection or by a primary physician or gynecologist...
- Vaginal Tactile Imager for Pelvic Floor Biomechanical AssessmentVladimir Egorov; Fiscal Year: 2013..VTI is based on the Tactile Imaging (TI) technology founded on the principles similar to those of manual palpation. In Phases I and II we designed and built a and prototypes of VTI with tactile sensor array and a motion ..
- Early Screening of Breast Lesion Trial (Phase III Pivotal)David A Benaron; Fiscal Year: 2010..sub-millimeter diagnosis of breast cancer, many breast tumors (30%) are still only found by pain, discharge, and palpation, especially in the young, dense breast. This leaves large room for improvement...
- A Controlled Trial of Gabapentin in Vulvodynia: Biological Correlates of ResponseDAVID CHARLES FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..reduce area and duration of hypersensitivity induced by intradermal capsaicin, reduce vaginal muscle pain to palpation, decrease the number and intensity of somatic tender points, and increase cardiac beat-to-beat variability...
- Lung nodule detection using 3D "visual palpation" via standard thoracoscopesJason D Harry; Fiscal Year: 2011..However, one key aspect of open surgery is missing in MIS: direct tissue palpation (touch)...
- Validation of Sensorized Breast Models for High-Stakes Clinical Skills AssessmentCarla M Pugh; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that palpation techniques used in the clinical breast examination can be quantified and that improper techniques that result in ..
- Dose-Response/Efficacy of Manipulation for Chronic LBPMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2010..The laying on of hands will be controlled by extension of the manual spinal palpation assessment...
- Refining Diagnostic Criteria of a Pain Disorder: Vulvar Vestibulitis SyndromeDenniz A Zolnoun; Fiscal Year: 2010..the actual diagnosis of VVS continues to rely on relatively crude measures of mucosal sensitivity (cotton swab palpation and patient report of pain) on clinical exam...
- MENSTRUAL CYCLE EFFECTS ON TMD PAIN AND OTHER SYMPTOMSLinda LeResche; Fiscal Year: 2002..e., dysmenorrhea) and/or presence of clinical TMD pain. Study 4 assesses clinical pain, pain in response to palpation of muscles of mastication and the temporomandibular joint, psychosocial variables and hormonal status during ..
- MANUAL PALPATION OF INTERVERTEBRAL MOTIONMartin Krag; Fiscal Year: 1993..will form a basis for an investigation of the biomechanical responses of the lumbar spine to chiropractic manual palpation. A method will be provided for obtaining force-displacement data during a chiropractic assessment of vertebral ..
- Nonlinear Shear Wave ImagingEVGENIA ZABOLOTSKAYA; Fiscal Year: 2005..It provides quantitative, real-time estimation of tissue elasticity similar to manual palpation, but with a much higher degree of resolution...
- Vaginal Tactile Imager for Pelvic Floor Biomechanical AssessmentVladimir Egorov; Fiscal Year: 2009..VTI is based on the Tactile Imaging (TI) technology based on principles similar to those of manual palpation. In Phase I we will design and build 1- prototype of VTI with tactile sensor array and a motion tracking sensor...
- Data-driven Real-Time Surgical Simulation from Reality-based Soft-tissue ModelsJAYDEV DESAI; Fiscal Year: 2009..simulators for resident training (for both minimally invasive procedures using long instruments and direct palpation), whereby residents will be able to experience the correct soft-tissue response for surgical tasks...
- Craniosacral Therapy in Migraine Feasibility StudyJohn Mann; Fiscal Year: 2007..Craniosacral therapists use a technique of gentle palpation of the head, neck and spine to release restrictions in cranial and peri-spinal tissues that are believed to ..
- USE OF A TACTILE BREAST IMAGER FOR MASS PRE-SCREENINGArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2002..to yield images of subcutaneous lesions that are well below the threshold of detectability by manual palpation. The proposed effort under this grant is to demonstrate that this technology may be incorporated into an easy to ..
- Training Simulator for Epidural Needle InsertionBruce Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The physical model will allow palpation to determine the location of needle insertion, as is done to patients...
- BREAST CANCER EXAMINATION INTERACTIVE TEACHING SIMULATORRICHARD THORP; Fiscal Year: 2001..The instructional program will teach a comprehensive examination technique, including systematic search pattern, palpation topography and pressure...
- Ultrasound Load-Indentor for Tissue CharacterizationMARY GEYER; Fiscal Year: 2001..Attempts to quantify such characteristics using palpation, biopsy specimens, load-indentation devices and radiological imaging techniques have failed to produce a valid ..
- ELASTICITY IMAGING FOR DETECTION OF RENAL PATHOLOGYMATTHEW O DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2001..Because of this, palpation is still widely used for diagnosis...
- INCREASING THE USE OF MAMMOGRAPHY AND BREAST PALPATIONDorothy Lane; Fiscal Year: 1990Periodic screening by mammography and/or breast palpation has been shown to have a significant impact on mortality rates for breast cancer among women age 50 years or older...
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE ELASTOGRAPHYRichard Ehman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This accounts for the efficacy of palpation as a clinical technique to detect cancer in accessible regions of the body...
- NEW SCREENING METHOD FOR DETECTION OF BREAST CANCERArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 1999..It uses the same mechanical information as obtained by manual palpation to determine presence of nodules in the breast, but objectively and with higher sensitivity and accuracy...
- In Vivo Cancer Therapy Monitoring with Diffuse Optical MethodsRegine Choe; Fiscal Year: 2009..stages since the metabolic changes due to therapy may precede the anatomical size changes measured by clinical palpation or conventional imaging modalities...
- A Virtual Reality Based Joint Injection SimulatorKarl Reinig; Fiscal Year: 2004..herein) is pioneering the creation of virtual reality based simulators, among which is the Needle Insertion and Palpation Simulator (NISP)...
- A Virtual Reality Based Joint Injection Simulator Phase IIKarl Reinig; Fiscal Year: 2007..The VR-JIS offers a virtual knee or shoulder combined with haptically enabled virtual palpation, virtual syringe, and simulated ultrasound to create an environment for structured and monitored practice of ..
- MR Elastrography for Breast Cancer DetectionROBERT KLINE SCHODER; Fiscal Year: 2003..For this reason, palpation has long been used for early screening...
- Dual-transducers for diagnostic & therapeutic ultrasoundSHEIKH ALAM; Fiscal Year: 2006..basic studies benefitting diagnostic applications of radiation-force elastography (for remote, noncontacting palpation), chronic tissue responses to therapeutic agents, harmonic imaging, and very-high resolution imaging of contrast ..
- TRANSPELVIC ULTRASOUND EVALUATION OF THE PROSTATEAUBREY PALESTRANT; Fiscal Year: 1980..These include clinical assessment by transrectal palpation, radiographically, and indirectly by measuring serum acid phosphatase...
- INCREASING THE COMMUNITY'S ROLE IN BREAST CANCERMary Costanza; Fiscal Year: 1990..health care professionals, and the public; (ii) increase the proportion of women using mammography and breast palpation routinely; (iii) increase the number of women who encourage others to obtain annual screening; (iv) increase the ..
- OPTIMIZING MICROWAVE SCANNING TO DETECT BREAST CANCERRICHARD GRABOWY; Fiscal Year: 1991..Data measured on volunteers will be compared with mammographic, palpation and physical findings to determine the sensitivity, specificity and accuracy of the system.
- Coronary Artery Visualization SystemROBERT KLINE SCHODER; Fiscal Year: 2001..most patients, the internal condition of the affected coronary arteries is difficult to assess visually or by palpation. Further, for approximately 10% of patients, the affected arteries are obscured by fat or muscle and are ..
- IMAGING NETWORK FOR BREAST CANCER MASS SCREENINGArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2001..based on the use of the proprietary Mechanical Imaging technology implemented in a small hand-held home-use self-palpation imaging device...
- Transcutaneous Acoustic Palpation (TAP): Pain DiagnosisR Frederickson; Fiscal Year: 2004..We call this TAP for Transcutaneous Acoustic Palpation
- Clinical Application of Image Guided Liver SurgeryWilliam Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2005..surgical treatment of hepatic tumors is performed by removal or ablation of the involved tissue based on direct palpation and visual assessment sometimes aided with intraoperative ultrasound (IOUS)...
- IMAGING NETWORK FOR BREAST CANCER MASS SCREENINGArmen Sarvazyan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Phase I, we successfully developed and tested a prototype device that showed sensitivity well beyond the manual palpation limit in a variety of test conditions...
- Clinical Application of Image Guided Liver SurgeryWilliam Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2002..surgical treatment of hepatic tumors is performed by removal or ablation of the involved tissue based on direct palpation and visual assessment sometimes aided with intraoperative ultrasound (IOUS)...
- Magnetic Resonance Elastography in Breast CancerRichard Ehman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Based on the remarkable efficacy of simple palpation as a clinical tool for detecting cancer in accessible parts of the body, it has long been recognized that a ..
- Spectroscopic Localization of Breast CancerDavid Benaron; Fiscal Year: 2009..millimeter diagnosis of breast cancer, many breast tumors (30%) are still only found by pain, discharge, and palpation rather than by radiological screening programs. This leaves a large margin for improvement...
- REMOTE PALPATION IMAGING IN THE BREASTKathryn Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2002The objectives of the proposed research are to design and construct a real-time Remote Palpation imaging system, and to clinically evaluate this system in the context of breast imaging...
- Acoustic Radiation Force Imaging of Colorectal TissuesKathryn Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, we propose a pilot clinical study comparing ARFI and ultrasonic staging of colorectal cancers in vivo. ..
- Global Summit on International Breast Health-ImplementationBenjamin Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The resulting 2007 Implementation Guidelines will serve as a practical medical tool providing functional real world examples of "how to implement" best practices with limited health care resources. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Palpation ImagingTimothy Hall; Fiscal Year: 2008..Breast self examination and clinical breast examination (palpation) are the most frequently used diagnostic tools for detecting breast abnormalities, and most breast abnormalities ..
- Strategies Against HPV Related Genital Diseases in WomenBradley Monk; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is expected that Dr. Monk will have obtained extramural funding for both his laboratory and clinical studies by the end of the period of support requested. ..
- ADAPTIVE ULTRASONIC BREAST IMAGINGGregg Trahey; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Dose-Response of Manipulation for Chronic HeadacheMitchell Haas; Fiscal Year: 2006..The second is to estimate dose and efficacy parameters for a larger study for determining the relationship of cervicogenic headache outcomes with the number of treatments. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dominican Herbal Medicine: Plants Used for InflammationMichael Balick; Fiscal Year: 2006..The collaborative approach and results from this R21 project will enable preparation of an R01 proposal. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PET IMAGING IN MULTIMODALITY MANAGEMENT OF RECTAL CANCERJose Guillem; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- SYSTEMATIC COMBINATION OF ANATOMY AND NOMENCLATUREJonathan Silverstein; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Gene Transfer Therapy for Alport SyndromeGeorge Lees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also lay the foundation for gene transfer therapy of other glomerular iseases. ..
- Xenogen IVIS-200 Bioluminescent Imaging SystemAlan Pollack; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Vevo 770 High Resolution Ultrasound Imaging SystemMarielle Scherrer Crosbie; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use this machine to better understand the pathways involved in pulmonary and systemic high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, heart failure, as well as to attempt to image stem cells. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chronic Prostatitis Collaborative Research NetworkRodney Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PHONATION AND PHONATORY CONTROL IN VOCAL TREMORSMarshall Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..The experimental phase consists of studies of neuromuscular and respiratory input to the larynx. This information about vocal tremor will be applied to model simulations with the use of physiological signals as input model parameters. ..
- African American Participation in Cancer Genetics ResearchChanita Hughes Halbert; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will provide empirical data that can be used to develop more effective strategies for recruiting African Americans to participate in cancer genetics research that enhance decisions about study participation. ..
- ER Reporter Genes To Predict Response To Endocrine TherapyWILLIAM SYMMANS; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Peripheral and Central Mechanism of Pain in Patients with FibromyalgiaROLAND M STAUD; Fiscal Year: 2010..Either way, we will provide evidence that will characterize the role of local anesthesia, placebo analgesia, or both. Thus patients with FM and other similar pain syndromes may strongly benefit from the results of our study. ..