Genomes and Genes
Summary: Involuntary contraction or twitching of the muscles. It is a physiologic method of heat production in man and other mammals.
Publications260 found, 100 shown here
- Dexmedetomidine and postoperative shivering in patients undergoing elective abdominal hysterectomyE G Elvan
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:357-64. 2008Post-anaesthetic shivering is one of the most common complications, occurring in 5-65% of patients recovering from general anaesthesia and 33% of patients receiving epidural anaesthesia...
- Shivering and neuraxial anesthesiaLarry J Crowley
Department of Anesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Reg Anesth Pain Med 33:241-52. 2008b>Shivering, which usually occurs as a thermoregulatory response to cold, may also occur following general or neuraxial anesthesia...
- Metabolic impact of shivering during therapeutic temperature modulation: the Bedside Shivering Assessment ScaleNeeraj Badjatia
Departments of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 39:3242-7. 2008Therapeutic temperature modulation is widely used in neurocritical care but commonly causes shivering, which can hamper the cooling process and result in increases in systemic metabolism...
- Efficacy of prophylactic ketamine in preventing postoperative shiveringD Dal
Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara 06100, Turkey
Br J Anaesth 95:189-92. 2005Treatment with ketamine and pethidine is effective in postoperative shivering. The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of low-dose prophylactic ketamine with that of pethidine or placebo in preventing postoperative shivering.
- Thermoregulation and non-shivering thermogenesis in the genetically obese (ob/ob) mouseP Trayhurn
Pflugers Arch 373:189-93. 1978..The obese animals therefore expend less energy on thermoregulatory thermogenesis. 5. The capacity for non-shivering thermogenesis was measured in lean and obese mice by investigating the effect of an injection of L-nor-..
- Intraoperative high-dose remifentanil increases post-anaesthetic shiveringM Nakasuji
Department of Anesthesiology, Kansai Denryoku Hospital, 2 1 7 Fukushima, Fukushima ku, Osaka, Japan
Br J Anaesth 105:162-7. 2010Remifentanil is associated with increased incidence of post-anaesthetic shivering (PAS). The aim of this study was to compare the effects of intraoperative high and low doses of remifentanil on PAS.
- Dexmedetomidine and meperidine additively reduce the shivering threshold in humansAnthony G Doufas
Outcomes Research Institute and the Department of Anesthesiology, Louisville, KY, USA
Stroke 34:1218-23. 2003..might prove to be therapeutically beneficial in stroke victims; however, even mild hypothermia provokes vigorous shivering. Meperidine and dexmedetomidine each linearly reduce the shivering threshold (triggering core temperature) with ..
- Intrathecal clonidine does not reduce post-spinal shiveringY T Jeon
Department of Anesthesiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seognam, Seoul, South Korea
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:1509-13. 2005After general or epidural anesthesia, clonidine is known to be effective in suppressing established shivering. The aim of this study was to assess the preventive effect of intrathecal clonidine on post-spinal shivering compared with ..
- Efficacy of granisetron in preventing postanesthetic shiveringParvin Sajedi
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 46:166-70. 2008Recently, 5-hydroxytryptamine 3 (5-HT3) receptor antagonists have been reported to prevent postanesthetic shivering. This placebo-controlled study was performed to evaluate the efficacy of granisetron, a 5-HT3 antagonist, in comparison ..
- Lipid mobilization of long-distance migrant birds in vivo: the high lipolytic rate of ruff sandpipers is not stimulated during shiveringEric Vaillancourt
Biology Department, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5, Canada
J Exp Biol 210:1161-9. 2007..Results show that shivering leads to a 47% increase in metabolic rate (44.4+/-3.8 ml O(2)kg(-1) min(-1) to 65.2+/-8...
- Effects of diabetes and food deprivation on shivering activity during progressive hypothermia in the ratR D Kilgour
Department of Exercise Science, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Comp Biochem Physiol A Physiol 114:159-65. 1996..The purpose of this study was to determine if shivering is attenuated in the urethane-anesthetized (1.5 g/kg; i.p...
- Effects of ramosetron and dexamethasone on postoperative nausea, vomiting, pain, and shivering in female patients undergoing thyroid surgeryYoon Kang Song
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, 344 2 Sinyong dong, Iksan, 570 711, Korea
J Anesth 27:29-34. 2013Some antiemetics are effective in the treatment of postoperative pain and shivering, as well as for postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV)...
- The efficacy of a single dose of pethidine, fentanyl and morphine in treating postanesthesia shiveringShideh Dabir
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Tracheal Disease Research Center, National Research Institute of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Masih Daneshvari Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Pak J Pharm Sci 24:513-7. 2011Postanesthesia shivering is an undesirable event that may induce a variety of adverse consequences including patient discomfort, increased oxygen consumption and wound pain. Thus, its pharmacological treatment should be regarded...
- Ondansetron and meperidine prevent postoperative shivering after general anesthesiaMasoud Entezari Asl
Ardebil University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 21:67-70. 2011Postoperative shivering is one of the common problems following general anesthesia and may lead to multiple complications...
- Shivering and tachycardic responses to external cooling in mice are substantially suppressed by TRPV1 activation but not by TRPM8 inhibitionViktor V Feketa
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics Graduate Program, Cardiovascular Sciences Track, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 305:R1040-50. 2013..induction of hypothermia in conscious stroke patients is complicated by cold-defensive responses, such as shivering and tachycardia...
- The effect of ondansetron and meperedin on preventing shivering after off-pump coronary artery bypass graftMohammad Hassan Abdollahi
Yazd Cardiovascular Research Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Acta Med Iran 50:395-8. 2012One of the most common complications of operation and anesthesia is shivering. The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of Ondanseton and Meperedine in preventing shivering after off-pump coronary artery bypass graft (..
- Tramadol for prevention of postanaesthetic shivering: a randomised double-blind comparison with pethidineM Mohta
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Dehli, India
Anaesthesia 64:141-6. 2009..kg(-1) with pethidine 0.5 mg.kg(-1) for prophylaxis of postanaesthetic shivering and to find a dose of tramadol that could provide the dual advantage of antishivering and analgesic effect in ..
- Physostigmine prevents postanesthetic shivering as does meperidine or clonidineE P Horn
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 88:108-13. 1998Postanesthetic shivering develops in as many as one half of patients recovering from isoflurane anesthesia...
- Dantrolene reduces the threshold and gain for shiveringChun Ming Lin
Outcomes Research Institute, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Anesth Analg 98:1318-24, table of contents. 2004..that dantrolene reduces the threshold (triggering core temperature) and gain (incremental increase) of shivering. Healthy volunteers were evaluated on 2 random days: control and dantrolene (approximately 2...
- Ondansetron does not reduce the shivering threshold in healthy volunteersR Komatsu
Outcomes Research Institute, University of Louisville, KY, USA
Br J Anaesth 96:732-7. 2006Ondansetron, a serotonin-3 receptor antagonist, reduces postoperative shivering. Drugs that reduce shivering usually impair central thermoregulatory control, and may thus be useful for preventing shivering during induction of therapeutic ..
- Postanaesthetic shivering. Epidemiology, pathophysiology and approaches to prevention and managementP Alfonsi
Departement of Anesthesia and Resuscitation, Hôpital A Paré, Boulogne, France
Minerva Anestesiol 69:438-42. 2003Postanaesthetic shivering is one of the leading causes of discomfort for patients recovering from general anesthesia...
- Prophylactic ondansetron does not prevent shivering or decrease shivering severity during cesarean delivery under combined spinal epidural anesthesia: a randomized trialRoger M Browning
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, Fremantle Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Reg Anesth Pain Med 38:39-43. 2013Cesarean delivery is commonly performed under regional anesthesia, which is often associated with maternal shivering. This can cause distress and interfere with monitoring...
- Urapidil does not prevent postanesthetic shivering: a dose-ranging studyS N Piper
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Can J Anaesth 48:742-7. 2001To investigate the effect of 0.2 mg x kg(-1), 0.3 mg x kg(-1) and 0.4 mg x kg(-1) urapidil on the incidence and severity of postanesthetic shivering.
- Side effects of oral misoprostol during the first 24 hours after administration in the third stage of labourPisake Lumbiganon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Thailand
BJOG 109:1222-6. 2002..To evaluate the side effects of 600 microg misoprostol orally during the first 24 hours after administration in the third stage of labour...
- Nefopam, a nonsedative benzoxazocine analgesic, selectively reduces the shivering threshold in unanesthetized subjectsPascal Alfonsi
Department of Anesthesia, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Anesthesiology 100:37-43. 2004..does not compromise ventilation, is minimally sedating, and is effective as a treatment for postoperative shivering. The authors evaluated the effects of nefopam on the major thermoregulatory responses in humans: sweating, ..
- Comparative non-shivering thermogenesis in adjacent populations of the common spiny mouse (Acomys cahirinus) from opposite slopes: the effects of increasing salinityMichael Scantlebury
Department of Biology, University of Haifa at Oranim, Tivon, Israel
J Comp Physiol B 172:1-5. 2002We compared non-shivering thermogenesis between two adjacent populations of the common spiny mouse Acomys cahirinus from different habitats, in relation to increasing salinity...
- Effects of carbohydrate availability on sustained shivering I. Oxidation of plasma glucose, muscle glycogen, and proteinsFrancois Haman
Biology Department, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Appl Physiol 96:32-40. 2004Carbohydrates (CHO) can play an important thermogenic role during shivering, but the effect of their availability on the use of other oxidative fuels is unclear...
- Lower-body warming mimics the normal epidural-induced reduction in the shivering thresholdAnthony G Doufas
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5640, USA
Anesth Analg 106:252-6, table of contents. 2008Neuraxial anesthesia reduces the shivering threshold approximately 0.6 degrees C. This effect might be mediated by an apparent (as opposed to actual) increase in lower body temperature...
- Central efferent pathways for cold-defensive and febrile shiveringKazuhiro Nakamura
Career Path Promotion Unit for Young Life Scientists, Kyoto University, Yoshida konoe cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
J Physiol 589:3641-58. 2011b>Shivering is a remarkable somatomotor thermogenic response that is controlled by brain mechanisms...
- Prevention of shivering during therapeutic temperature modulation: the Columbia anti-shivering protocolH Alex Choi
The Neurological Institute of New York, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
Neurocrit Care 14:389-94. 2011..of aggressive temperature control has become more commonplace, new clinical problems are arising, of which shivering is the most common...
- Transient shivering during Wada test provides insight into human thermoregulationAashit K Shah
Department of Neurology, Wayne State University, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Epilepsia 51:745-51. 2010Some patients with pharmacoresistant epilepsy undergoing the Wada test experience transient shivering. The purpose of this study was to investigate various clinical and radiographic characteristics of these individuals to delineate ..
- Non-thermoregulatory shivering in patients recovering from isoflurane or desflurane anesthesiaE P Horn
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 89:878-86. 1998Although cold-induced shivering is an obvious source of postanesthetic tremor, other causes may contribute...
- Effects of shivering prevention on haemodynamic and metabolic demands in hypothermic postoperative neurosurgical patientsF Bilotta
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Rome La Sapienza Rome, Italy
Anaesthesia 56:514-9. 2001We evaluated the haemodynamic and metabolic effects of prevention of shivering after prophylactic nefopam administration in neurosurgical patients undergoing craniotomy and mild systemic hypothermia (33-35 degrees C)...
- Double-blind comparison between doxapram and pethidine in the treatment of postanaesthetic shiveringP Singh
University Department of Anaesthesia, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham
Br J Anaesth 71:685-8. 1993..33 mg kg-1 (n = 20). Both doxapram and pethidine were effective in treating postoperative shivering 2-3 min after i.v. administration...
- An intraoperative small dose of ketamine prevents remifentanil-induced postanesthetic shiveringMasato Nakasuji
Department of Anesthesiology, Kansai Denryoku Hospital, 2 1 7 Fukushima, Fukushima ku, Osaka 553 0003, Japan
Anesth Analg 113:484-7. 2011..25 μg/kg/min), and epidural ropivacaine. Postanesthetic shivering (PAS) was evaluated for 30 minutes after emergence...
- Perioperative thermoregulation and heat balanceD I Sessler
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Vienna, Austria
Ann N Y Acad Sci 813:757-77. 1997..Fortunately, effective methods are available for preventing hypothermia...
- High fever following postpartum administration of sublingual misoprostolJ Durocher
Gynuity Health Projects, New York, NY, USA
BJOG 117:845-52. 2010..To explore what triggers an elevated body temperature of > or =40.0 degrees C in some women given misoprostol, a prostaglandin E1 analogue, for postpartum haemorrhage (PPH)...
- Fuel selection during intense shivering in humans: EMG pattern reflects carbohydrate oxidationFrancois Haman
Biology Department, University of Ottawa, 30 Marie Curie, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Physiol 556:305-13. 2004..of muscle recruitment could provide metabolic information on oxidative fuel selection during high-intensity shivering. EMG activity (of 8 large muscles) and fuel metabolism were monitored simultaneously in non-acclimatized adult ..
- Dolasetron for preventing postanesthetic shiveringSwen N Piper
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anesth Analg 94:106-11, table of contents. 2002..study to assess the efficacy of dolasetron compared with clonidine and placebo in prophylaxis of postanesthetic shivering. We included 90 patients undergoing elective abdominal or urologic surgery...
- Intrathecal fentanyl for prevention of shivering in cesarean sectionAnchalee Techanivate
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University Hospital, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:1214-21. 2005The aim of this randomized double-blind study was to investigate whether 20 microg of intrathecally administered fentanyl would influence the incidence and severity of shivering in patients undergoing cesarean section.
- Shivering thermogenesis in leg and breast muscles of galliform chicks and nestlings of the domestic pigeonK Marjoniemi
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, FIN 90401 Oulu, Finland
Physiol Biochem Zool 72:484-92. 1999We studied the ontogeny of shivering thermogenesis in breast and leg muscles of precocial galliforms (domestic fowl, grey partridge, and Japanese quail) and the altricial domestic pigeon using electromyography (EMG) and indirect ..
- Flumazenil improves cognitive and neuromotor emergence and attenuates shivering after halothane-, enflurane- and isoflurane-based anesthesiaA A Weinbroum
Post Anesthesia Care Unit, The Department Of Anesthesiology Critical Care Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, The Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Can J Anaesth 48:963-72. 2001..To conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded, clinical experiment testing the hypothesis that flumazenil, a benzodiazepine antagonist, may affect recovery from halothane-, enflurane- and isoflurane-based anesthesia...
- Effect of amino acid solutions on intraoperative hypothermia and postoperative shivering. Comparison of two anesthetic regimensA Sahin
Hacettepe University, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 46:64-7. 2002..The purpose of this study is to compare the effects of intraoperative administration of amino acid solutions on intraoperative hypothermia and postoperative shivering in two different anesthetic regimens.
- Fuel selection in Wistar rats exposed to cold: shivering thermogenesis diverts fatty acids from re-esterification to oxidationEric Vaillancourt
University of Ottawa, Department of Biology, 30 Marie Curie, PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Physiol 587:4349-59. 2009This study characterizes the effects of shivering thermogenesis on metabolic fuel selection in Wistar rats...
- Nefopam and alfentanil additively reduce the shivering threshold in humans whereas nefopam and clonidine do notPascal Alfonsi
Department of Anesthesia, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Boulogne France
Anesthesiology 111:102-9. 2009Induction of therapeutic hypothermia is often complicated by shivering. Nefopam reduces the shivering threshold with minimal side effects. Consequently, nefopam is an attractive component for induction of therapeutic hypothermia...
- Control of shivering during regional anaesthesia: prophylactic ketamine and granisetronO Sagir
Inonu University, School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:44-9. 2007The aim of the present study was to compare placebo, ketamine, granisetron and a combination of ketamine and granisetron in the prevention of shivering caused by regional anaesthesia.
- Nefopam and tramadol for the prevention of shivering during neuraxial anesthesiaFederico Bilotta
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Reg Anesth Pain Med 27:380-4. 2002..The shivering threshold is therefore reached soon, and more shivering is required to prevent further hypothermia...
- Intraoperative forced air-warming during cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia does not prevent maternal hypothermiaAlexander J Butwick
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1413-9, table of contents. 2007Prewarming and intraoperative warming with forced air-warming systems prevent perioperative hypothermia and shivering in patients undergoing elective cesarean delivery with epidural anesthesia...
- Postanaesthetic shivering--a new look at tramadolS Mathews
Department of Anaesthesia and ICU, Mubarak Al Kabir Hospital, Hawally, Kuwait
Anaesthesia 57:394-8. 2002We studied whether tramadol administered at the time of wound closure can prevent postanaesthetic shivering. One hundred and fifty patients scheduled for general anaesthesia and surgery were randomly allocated and tramadol was ..
- Inhibition of shivering increases core temperature afterdrop and attenuates rewarming in hypothermic humansG G Giesbrecht
Laboratory for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 83:1630-4. 1997During severe hypothermia, shivering is absent. To simulate severe hypothermia, shivering in eight mildly hypothermic subjects was inhibited with meperidine (1.5 mg/kg)...
- Comparison of prophylactic use of midazolam, ketamine, and ketamine plus midazolam for prevention of shivering during regional anaesthesia: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trialA Honarmand
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Br J Anaesth 101:557-62. 2008..The aim of the present study was to compare the efficacy of low-dose prophylactic midazolam with that of placebo, ketamine, and a combination of ketamine and midazolam in the prevention of shivering caused by regional anaesthesia.
- Meperidine exerts agonist activity at the alpha(2B)-adrenoceptor subtypeKoji Takada
Department of Anesthesia, Toyonaka Municipal Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Anesthesiology 96:1420-6. 2002..The authors therefore studied the ability of meperidine to bind and activate each of the alpha(2)-adrenoceptor subtypes in a transfected cell system...
- A comparison between meperidine, clonidine and urapidil in the treatment of postanesthetic shiveringK R Schwarzkopf
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Therapy, University Hospital, Jena, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:257-60. 2001Postanesthetic shivering can be treated with many types of drugs. We compared the effects of meperidine, clonidine, and urapidil on postanesthetic shivering...
- Intrathecal meperidine decreases shivering during cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesiaJean Denis Roy
Département d Anesthésiologie, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, Universite de Montreal, 5415 Boul l Assomption, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 2M4
Anesth Analg 98:230-4, table of contents. 2004b>Shivering associated with spinal anesthesia is uncomfortable and may interfere with monitoring. We performed this prospective, double-blinded, and randomized study to determine whether intrathecal meperidine (0...
- Tramadol for postoperative shivering: a double-blind comparison with pethidineS Bhatnagar
Unit of Anesthesiology, Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansani Nagar, New Delhi
Anaesth Intensive Care 29:149-54. 2001In most operating and recovery rooms, shivering is controlled by the use of humidifiers, warming blankets, and inhalation of humidified heated oxygen. However, pharmacological control is an effective alternate treatment modality...
- The efficacy of ketamine for the treatment of postoperative shiveringEmine Arzu Kose
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Anesth Analg 106:120-2, table of contents. 2008There are few reports on the utility of ketamine for the prevention of postoperative shivering. We thus established the efficacy of two doses of ketamine compared with meperidine for the treatment of postoperative shivering.
- Perioperative shivering: physiology and pharmacologyJan De Witte
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, OLV Hospital, Aalst, Belgium
Anesthesiology 96:467-84. 2002
- Pharmacological treatment of postoperative shivering: a quantitative systematic review of randomized controlled trialsPeter Kranke
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 94:453-60, table of contents. 2002b>Shivering is a frequent complication in the postoperative period. The relative efficacy of interventions that are used for the treatment of postoperative shivering is not well understood...
- Intramuscular ketamine for prevention of postanesthesia shivering in childrenFouad A Zahra
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, King Abdulaziz Naval Base Hospital, Jubail, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 29:1255-9. 2008To compare the effects of intramuscular ketamine with pethidine and placebo on post operative shivering in children undergoing tonsillectomy.
- Postanaesthetic shivering: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and approaches to prevention and managementP Alfonsi
Département d Anaesthésie Réanimation, Hôpital A Paré, Boulogne, France
Drugs 61:2193-205. 2001Along with nausea and vomiting, postanaesthetic shivering is one of the leading causes of discomfort for patients recovering from general anaesthesia...
- Pharmacokinetics and adverse-effect profile of rectally administered misoprostol in the third stage of laborRehan Uddin Khan
Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 101:968-74. 2003..To characterize the pharmacokinetics and adverse-effect profile of rectally administered misoprostol...
- Single-dose parenteral pharmacological interventions for the prevention of postoperative shivering: a quantitative systematic review of randomized controlled trialsPeter Kranke
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wurzburg, Oberdürrbacherstrasse 6, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 99:718-27, table of contents. 2004b>Shivering is a frequent complication in the postoperative period. The relative efficacy of pharmacological interventions to prevent this phenomenon is not well understood...
- Buspirone and meperidine synergistically reduce the shivering thresholdM Mokhtarani
Department of Anesthesia, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1233-9. 2001Mild hypothermia (i.e., 34 degrees C) may prove therapeutic for patients with stroke, but it usually provokes shivering. We tested the hypothesis that the combination of buspirone (a serotonin 1A partial agonist) and meperidine ..
- Magnesium sulfate infusion prevents shivering during transurethral prostatectomy with spinal anesthesia: a randomized, double-blinded, controlled studyMuhammet Gozdemir
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Fatih University School of Medicine, Ankara 06540, Turkey
J Clin Anesth 22:184-9. 2010To determine whether magnesium sulfate (MgSO(4)) infusion during surgery reduces shivering during spinal anesthesia.
- A comparison of nefopam and clonidine for the prevention of postanaesthetic shivering: a comparative, double-blind and placebo-controlled dose-ranging studyS N Piper
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anaesthesia 59:559-64. 2004Postanaesthetic shivering is a frequent complication following general anaesthesia...
- Cold-induced heat production preceding shiveringAnne M J van Ooijen
Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 93:387-91. 2005Individual changes in heat production and body temperature were studied in response to cold exposure, prior to shivering. The subjects ten women (seven men) were of normal weight, had a mean age of 23 (SD 3) years and average BMI 22...
- Comparison of three warming devices for the prevention of core hypothermia and post-anaesthesia shiveringC H Ihn
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Int Med Res 36:923-31. 2008..a surgical access blanket in preventing a decrease in core temperature during anaesthesia and post-anaesthesia shivering (PAS) was compared with two widely used interventions comprising forced air warming combined with an upper body ..
- Dexmedetomidine and meperidine prevent postanaesthetic shiveringC Bicer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:149-53. 2006This placebo-controlled study was performed to evaluate the efficacy of dexmedetomidine compared with meperidine and placebo in preventing postanaesthetic shivering.
- Intraoperative tramadol reduces shivering but not pain after remifentanil-isoflurane general anaesthesia. A placebo-controlled, double-blind trialF Heid
Johannes Gutenberg University, Department of Anaesthesiology, Mainz, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:468-72. 2008Postoperative shivering and pain are frequent problems in patients recovering from anaesthesia with particularly high incidences being observed after remifentanil-isoflurane-based general anaesthesia...
- Prophylactic ketamine reduces incidence of postanaesthetic shiveringA Gecaj-Gashi
University Clinical Centre of Kosovo, Clinic of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Prishtina, Kosovo
Niger J Med 19:267-70. 2010General anesthesia influences the thermoregulatory process. The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of low-dose prophylactic ketamine with that of placebo in preventing postoperative shivering.
- Dexmedetomidine for the treatment of postanesthesia shivering in childrenR Blaine Easley
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institute, Baltimore, MD, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 17:341-6. 2007b>Shivering is a common postanesthesia adverse event with multiple etiologies and multiple suggested prophylactic and abortive treatment regimens...
- Cold-acclimation-induced non-shivering thermogenesis in birds is associated with upregulation of avian UCP but not with innate uncoupling or altered ATP efficiencyLoïc Teulier
Universite de Lyon, CNRS, UMR5123, Laboratoire de Physiologie Integrative, Cellulaire et Moléculaire, F 69622 Villeurbanne, France
J Exp Biol 213:2476-82. 2010Despite their lack of brown adipose tissue, some bird species develop regulatory non-shivering thermogenesis (NST) of skeletal muscle origin in response to cold acclimation...
- The effects of intravenous fluids temperature on perioperative hemodynamic situation, post-operative shivering, and recovery in orthopaedic surgeryH Hasankhani
Isfahan Medical University, Isfahan, Iran
Can Oper Room Nurs J 25:20-4, 26-7. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate the effects of warming intravenous fluids on perioperative hemodynamic situation, post-operative shivering and recovery in orthopaedic surgery patients.
- Dexmedetomidine does not alter the sweating threshold, but comparably and linearly decreases the vasoconstriction and shivering thresholdsP Talke
Department of Anesthesia, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0648, USA
Anesthesiology 87:835-41. 1997Clonidine decreases the vasoconstriction and shivering thresholds. It thus seems likely that the alpha2 agonist dexmedetomidine will also impair control of body temperature...
- Suppression of shivering during hypothermia using a novel drug combination in healthy volunteersRainer Lenhardt
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Anesthesiology 111:110-5. 2009Hypothermia may be beneficial in stroke victims; however, it provokes vigorous shivering. Buspirone and dexmedetomidine each linearly reduce the shivering threshold with minimal sedation and no respiratory depression...
- The minimum effective doses of pethidine and doxapram in the treatment of post-anaesthetic shiveringI J Wrench
University Department of Anaesthesia, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Anaesthesia 52:32-6. 1997This study was designed to find the minimum effective doses of doxapram and pethidine to stop post-anaesthetic shivering. Two hundred and twenty healthy patients who shivered following routine surgery were allocated randomly to receive ..
- [Dolasetron and shivering. A prospective randomized placebo-controlled pharmaco-economic evaluation]M Bock
Abteilung 1 für Anästhesie und Intensivmedizin, Zentralkrankenhaus, Lorenz Böhler Strasse 5, 39100 Bozen
Anaesthesist 56:63-6, 68-70. 2007..In the surgical field postoperative shivering reduces both patient comfort and medical quality...
- Optimum dose of ketamine for prevention of postanesthetic shivering; a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trialM Norouzi
Department of Anesthesiology, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 62:33-6. 2011Our objective was to investigate the efficacy and the optimum dosage of ketamine for post anesthetic shivering prevention...
- Doxapram after general anaesthesia. Its role in stopping shivering during recoveryV Sarma
Department of Anaesthetics, North Tees General Hospital, Hardwick, Stockton on Tees, Cleveland
Anaesthesia 46:460-1. 1991A group of patients who developed postoperative shivering after receiving inhalational anaesthesia were assigned, at random, to receive either doxapram or a placebo under double-blind conditions...
- Lower limb wrapping prevents hypotension, but not hypothermia or shivering, after the introduction of epidural anesthesia for cesarean deliveryHsiao Lun Sun
Department of Anesthesiology, Cathay General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 99:241-4. 2004..Moreover, we evaluated the effect of this maneuver as regards hypothermia and shivering. Sixty parturients were randomly allocated to receive either leg wrapping with tight elastic bandages (leg-..
- Magnesium sulphate only slightly reduces the shivering threshold in humansA Wadhwa
Outcomes Research Institute and Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Br J Anaesth 94:756-62. 2005..Hypothermia may be an effective treatment for stroke or acute myocardial infarction; however, it provokes vigorous shivering, which causes potentially dangerous haemodynamic responses and prevents further hypothermia...
- Physostigmine for the prevention of postanaesthetic shivering following general anaesthesia - a placebo-controlled comparison with nefopamK D Röhm
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinkum Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anaesthesia 60:433-8. 2005Physostigmine was studied for its efficacy in the prevention of postanaesthetic shivering compared to nefopam and placebo. We studied 89 patients undergoing abdominal and urological surgery...
- Meperidine and skin surface warming additively reduce the shivering threshold: a volunteer studyOliver Kimberger
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Bern, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Crit Care 11:R29. 2007..patient, even a small decrease of core temperature provokes vigorous autonomic reactions-vasoconstriction and shivering-which both inhibit efficient core cooling...
- Partitioning oxidative fuels during cold exposure in humans: muscle glycogen becomes dominant as shivering intensifiesFrancois Haman
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, 125 University St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Physiol 566:247-56. 2005The effects of changes in shivering intensity on the relative contributions of plasma glucose, muscle glycogen, lipids and proteins to total heat production are unclear in humans...
- Pethidine and skin warming to prevent shivering during endovascular coolingK Leslie
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria
Anaesth Intensive Care 32:362-7. 2004We tested the efficacy of pethidine and cutaneous warming to prevent shivering during percutaneous cooling in unanaesthetized patients. Ten patients scheduled for cranial neurosurgery received pethidine infusion and skin warming...
- Intrathecal meperidine for prevention of shivering during transurethral resection of prostateMaryam Davoudi
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Urol J 4:212-6. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate low-dose intrathecal meperidine for prevention or alleviation of shivering after induction of spinal anesthesia for transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
- Postoperative shivering in children: a review on pharmacologic prevention and treatmentPeter Kranke
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Paediatr Drugs 5:373-83. 2003Postoperative shivering consists of muscular tremor and rigidity. It is often associated with body heat loss, although hypothermia alone does not fully explain the occurrence of shivering...
- A comparison of tramadol, amitriptyline, and meperidine for postepidural anesthetic shivering in parturientsY C Tsai
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 93:1288-92. 2001Tramadol is effective for treating shivering during epidural anesthesia in parturients. In addition to its low affinity to opioid receptors, tramadol exerts a modulatory effect on central monoaminergic pathways...
- Effect of postoperative skin-surface warming on oxygen consumption and the shivering thresholdP Alfonsi
Department of Anaesthesiology, Hôpital Ambroise Pare AP HP, 9 avenue Charles de Gaulle, Boulogne Billancourt 9, 2 100, France
Anaesthesia 58:1228-34. 2003Cutaneous warming is reportedly an effective treatment for shivering during epidural and after general anaesthesia. We quantified the efficacy of cutaneous warming as a treatment for shivering...
- Side-effects of oral misoprostol in the third stage of labour--a randomised placebo-controlled trialG J Hofmeyr
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Coronation Hospital and Effective Care Research Unit, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
S Afr Med J 91:432-5. 2001..Potential side-effects, however, need to be quantified. OBJECTIVE: To compare the rate of postpartum shivering and pyrexia following oral misoprostol 600 micrograms and placebo...
- Shivering in the cold: from mechanisms of fuel selection to survivalFrancois Haman
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Appl Physiol (1985) 100:1702-8. 2006..are delayed by reducing heat loss via peripheral vasoconstriction and by increasing rates of heat production via shivering thermogenesis...
- Side effects of oral misoprostol for the prevention of postpartum hemorrhage: results of a community-based randomised controlled trial in rural IndiaShobhana S Patted
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Jawaharal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum, India
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22:24-8. 2009..To investigate the side effects of 600 microg oral misoprostol given for the mother and the newborn to prevent postpartum hemorrhage (PPH)...
- Independent risk factors for postoperative shiveringLeopold H J Eberhart
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Philipps University Marburg, Baldingerstr 1, D 35033 Marburg, Germany
Anesth Analg 101:1849-57. 2005Postoperative shivering (PAS) is uncomfortable for patients and potentially risky. In this observational trial we sought to identify independent risk factors for PAS after general anesthesia...
- Neither arm nor face warming reduces the shivering threshold in unanesthetized humansAnthony G Doufas
Outcomes Research Institute, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, USA
Stroke 34:1736-40. 2003Hand warming and face warming, combined with inhalation of heated air, are reported to suppress shivering. However, hand or face temperature contributes only a few percent to control of shivering...
- Cooling for Acute Ischemic Brain Damage (COOL AID): a feasibility trial of endovascular coolingM A De Georgia
Department of Neurology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Neurology 63:312-7. 2004..To report results of a randomized pilot clinical feasibility trial of endovascular cooling in patients with ischemic stroke...
- A trial of therapeutic hypothermia via endovascular approach in awake patients with acute ischemic stroke: methodologyKama Z Guluma
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California San Diego Medical Center, San Diego, CA 92103 8676, USA
Acad Emerg Med 13:820-7. 2006..its use in intubated, pharmacologically paralyzed patients, using surface cooling techniques that are susceptible to patient shivering, imprecise temperature control, time lag to target-temperature acquisition, and rebound hyperthermia.
- The effects of meperidine and sufentanil on the shivering threshold in postoperative patients. firstname.lastname@example.orgP Alfonsi
Department of Anesthesia, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Boulogne Billancourt, France
Anesthesiology 89:43-8. 1998BACKGROUND. Meperidine (pethidine) reportedly treats postoperative shivering better than equianalgesic doses of other mu-receptor agonists...
- Comparison of the effects of intrathecal morphine and pethidine on shivering after Caesarean delivery under combined-spinal epidural anaesthesiaJ Y Hong
Department of Anaesthesiology, Samsung Cheil Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University, Mukjeong dong 1 19, Jung Gu, Seoul 100 380, South Korea
Anaesthesia 60:1168-72. 2005..2 mg morphine (group BM0.2; n = 30), or with 10 mg pethidine (group BPeth10; n = 30). The incidences of shivering were 23.3% (7/30) in group B, 17% (5/29) in group BM0.1, 13.3% (4/30) in group BM0.2 and 3...
- Comparison of ondansetron and meperidine for prevention of shivering in patients undergoing spinal anesthesiaEbru Kelsaka
Department of Anesthesiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Faculty of Medicine, Samsun, Turkey
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:40-5. 2006..Regional anesthesia, like general anesthesia, influences the thermoregulatory process. The aim of our study was to compare the efficacy of ondansetron and meperidine in the prevention of shivering during and after spinal anesthesia.
- Heat production and body temperature during cooling and rewarming in overweight and lean menAnne M J Claessens-van Ooijen
Department of Human Biology, NUTRIM Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1914-20. 2006..To compare overweight and lean subjects with respect to thermogenesis and physiological insulation in response to mild cold and rewarming...
- Efficacy of postoperative rewarming after cardiac surgeryAnselm Bräuer
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Götingen, Gottingen, Germany
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 10:171-7. 2004..To compare the efficacy of forced-air warmers and radiant heaters on rewarming after cardiac surgery in a prospective randomized study...
- Misty: a model for central regulation of bone remodelingCLIFFORD JAMES ROSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..and increase resorption while in BAT, catecholamines act on [unreadable]3 adrenergic receptors to increase non-shivering thermogenesis...
- Targeting thermoreceptors for therapeutic hypothermiaSean P Marrelli; Fiscal Year: 2012..as by muscle paralysis) to allow body cooling and also to avoid clinical complications that accompany prolonged shivering such as increased oxygen consumption and hyperglycemia...
- Quantitative Assessment of Oxidative Metabolism in Brown FatOtto Muzik; Fiscal Year: 2011..by applicant): Brown adipose tissue (BAT or brown fat) is a thermogenic organ that plays a critical role in non- shivering thermogenesis with the purpose of generating heat in response to cold stress...
- Sympathetic Regulation of AMPK in the control of non-shivering thermogenesisJacob D Mulligan; Fiscal Year: 2012..to the regulation of body weight and temperature by controlling the thermogenic potential and amount of non-shivering thermogenesis in brown adipose. To test these hypotheses, three specific aims will be accomplished...
- Age and Control of Human Skin FlowW Larry Kenney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because core temperature excursions during even mild heating or cooling (i.e., in the absence of shivering or sweating) are greater in the elderly, altered vasomotor regulation is the seminal age-related deficit...
- Imaging Strategies to Measure Brown Fat and Its ActivityC Ronald Kahn; Fiscal Year: 2010..and inducible energy expenditure directly via thermogenesis, and skeletal muscle, which generates heat through shivering. Brown adipose tissue is of particular interest since recent studies suggest that in addition to its role in ..
- Regulated Hypothermia to Treat Hypoxic-Ischemic Brain InjuryLaurence M Katz; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, physiological responses to forced cooling (shivering, vasoconstriction and release of stress hormones) reduce the efficacy of hypothermia...
- Central Sympathetic Regulation of Thermogenesis in FeverShaun F Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..thermoregulatory effectors: increased heat production from brown adipose tissue (BAT) thermogenesis, from shivering in skeletal muscle and from a marked tachycardia and increased heat conservation through cutaneous ..
- Role of thermoregulatory leptin action via the DMH in body weight controlKAVON PAUL REZAI-ZADEH; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the absence of efficient intervention strategies for curbing obesity, the promotion of non-shivering thermogenesis (NST) has re- emerged as a potentially viable approach...
- Recruitment of skeletal muscle based non-shivering thermogenesis in health and diMuthu Periasamy; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- DEPENDENCE OF THERMOGENESIS AND BROWN ADIPOSE TISSUE FUNCTION ON FATP1 AND CD36Andreas Stahl; Fiscal Year: 2013..Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is the primary organ for non-shivering thermogenesis and is found both in infants as well as adult humans...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardCheng C Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Shivering, a sign of thermo-regulatory defense is blocked by 5?-AMP, allowing rapid cooling of CBT to 17oC or below, ..
- Role of desnutrin/ATGL in maintenance and function of brown adipose tissueHei Sook Sul; Fiscal Year: 2013..In contrast, brown adipose tissue (BAT) uses FA to activate uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1) for non-shivering thermogenesis to dissipate energy as heat...
- Biochemical regulation of mitochondrial uncoupling protein 3MONTE ALEXANDER KENASTON; Fiscal Year: 2010..UCPs have diverse functions including non-shivering thermogenesis, expenditure of excess substrates, and reduction of reactive oxygen species...
- Role of B2 in Brown Fat Transcription and DevelopmentHei Sook Sul; Fiscal Year: 2013..energy storage that in excess results in obesity, brown adipose tissue (BAT) dissipates energy as heat via non-shivering thermogenesis...
- Targeting Central A1 Adenosine Receptors Induces Hypothermia for StrokeKelly L Drew; Fiscal Year: 2013..the mechanism used by hibernating animals to cool to near-ambient temperature and avoids the negative effects of shivering. In bypassing thermoregulatory defenses such as shivering, this research is highly significant because it is ..
- Stroke Treatment by Chemically-Induced HypothermiaShan Ping Yu; Fiscal Year: 2012..and reduce the "set point" of the central temperature control so that systemic hypothermia in the absence of shivering is promoted...
- Brown fat dynamics: elucidation of molecular drivers using hibernation as a modelSandra L Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..of BAT each year as they prepare for winter hibernation, and depend on tightly-regulated periods of non-shivering thermogenesis throughout winter hibernation...
- TRANSMEMBRANE SIGNALLING IN GENETIC OBESITYKathryn LaNoue; Fiscal Year: 1993..These include insulin resistance, varying degrees of hyperinsulinemia, impaired non-shivering thermogenesis, and slow norepinephrine turnover...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF TEMPERATURE REGULATIONJACK BOULANT; Fiscal Year: 2006..Responses include skin blood flow, evaporative heat loss (e.g., salivation/skin wetting, panting, sweating), shivering and non-shivering thermogenesis (via metabolic hormones and brown adipose tissue)...
- PERIANETHETIC TREMOR AND THERMOREGULATIONDaniel Sessler; Fiscal Year: 1993..Generalized postoperative tremor (which clinically resembles shivering) can also cause complications including an approximate 150% increase in metabolic rate, hypoxemia, would ..
- DRUG-INDUCED SHIVERING--EFFECTS OF A NURSING MEASUREBARBARA HOLTZCLAW; Fiscal Year: 1990This experimental study tests a nursing intervention to reduce drug-induced shivering related to amphotericin B. Predictors and consequences of shivering will be sought from patient responses and physiological correlates...
- Mechanisms of MDMA-induced hyperthermiaEdward Mills; Fiscal Year: 2009..acute MDMA intoxication is hyperthermia, a hyper-metabolic condition that stems from a dramatic increase in "non-shivering" metabolic thermogenesis in the setting of heat conservation (peripheral vasoconstriction)...
- Skin Cooling to Improve Orthostatic ToleranceCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. stroke volume, blood pressure, sympathetic nerve activity, etc.) without causing shivering or altering motor function...
- ROLE OF THYROID HORMONE IN BROWN ADIPOSE TISSUE FUNCTIONJorge Silva; Fiscal Year: 1991The long-term objective of this research is to understand the regulation of facultative non-shivering thermogenesis...
- DETRAINING IN HIBERNATORSDONALD HOYT; Fiscal Year: 1991..maximum cold-induced rate of oxygen consumption (also know as summit metabolism or M max), and capacity for non-shivering thermogenesis. 2) Systemic changes: blood volume, whole blood hemoglobin, and resting heart rate...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF THERMOGENESISLESLIE KOZAK; Fiscal Year: 2007Investigations in rodents have convincingly shown that increases in non-shivering thermogenesis (NTS) are extremely effective in reducing obesity...
- ION TRANSPORT MECHANISMS IN MITOCHONDRIAKeith Garlid; Fiscal Year: 1999..UCP is a primary source of non-shivering thermogenesis, and its physiological role is to provide heat to small mammals and human infants, who are ..
- ROLE OF INSULIN AND IGF-1 ON BROWN ADIPOCYTESYu Hua Tseng; Fiscal Year: 2003Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is specialized for non-shivering thermogenesis in neonates. Regulation of BAT activity is critical to maintain energy homeostasis...
- THERMAL IMAGING OF PERINATAL BEHAVIOR AND PHYSIOLOGYJeffrey Alberts; Fiscal Year: 1993..this laboratory suggest that infant rat pups' ultrasonic vocalization, oxygen utilization, respiration and non-shivering thermogenesis are functionally interrelated...
- Nitrous Oxide and Wound InfectionsOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2006..Confirming our hypothesis would thus allow clinicians to make a minor modification in anesthetic practice that might reduce the incidence of a complication responsible for considerable perioperative morbidity and cost. ..
- SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN AND SURGICAL WOUND INFECTIONSDaniel Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since the cost of oxygen is trivial and the risks of oxygen administration are low, clinicians will easily be able to implement this treatment once we have demonstrated its benefits. ..
- CARDIOVASCULAR CONCOMITANTS OF ULTRASONIC VOCALIZATIONSMark Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..Through these approaches, an integrated view of the varied mechanisms by which infant and adult mammals regulate cardiovascular function during physiological and behavioral challenges will emerge. ..
- BEHAVIORAL TREATMENT OF MENOPAUSAL HOT FLASHESRobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Sleep Disturbance in MenopauseRobert Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Study 5, we will determine the effects of elevated sympathetic activation on HFs and sleep using a stimulus that does not, by itself, disrupt sleep (orthostasis). ..
- CENTRAL REGULATION OF SYMPATHETIC ACTIVITY TO BROWN FATShaun F Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Behavioral state development in infantsMark Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- GENE THERAPY, OBESITY AND HYPOTHALAMIC SIGNALINGSatya Kalra; Fiscal Year: 2005..This new knowledge will be applied to the ultimate goal of site-directed gene delivery aimed at the newly identified vulnerable loci in hypothalamic signaling to curb overeating and abnormal weight gain. ..
- Role of Angiogenesis Following StrokePatrick Lyden; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Spontaneous Arousals in "CHIME" Infants at Risk for SIDSROBERT DARNALL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, we will examine the relationships among the level of arousal, post-conceptional age, sleep state, and other infant behaviors such as feeding that are also associated with changes in autonomic activity. ..
- Gene Expression in Leptin-Regulated PathwaysANTHONY FERRANTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the proposed project will provide him with new molecules and pathways to investigate, as he begins his independent career studying the molecular genetics of energy homeostasis and obesity. ..
- Hypothalamic Effector Mechanisms: Stress and FeverJOSEPH DIMICCO; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The Dorsomedial Hypothalamus and Responses to StressJOSEPH DIMICCO; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results may also suggest new applications and therapeutic mechanisms for the growing family of drugs influencing AII and its receptors. ..