Genomes and Genes
false positive reactions
Summary: Positive test results in subjects who do not possess the attribute for which the test is conducted. The labeling of healthy persons as diseased when screening in the detection of disease. (Last, A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
Publications299 found, 100 shown here
- Assessing the probability that a positive report is false: an approach for molecular epidemiology studiesSholom Wacholder
Biostatistics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7244, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:434-42. 2004..An FPRP-based criterion for deciding whether to call a finding noteworthy formalizes the process already used informally by investigators--that is, tempering enthusiasm for remarkable study findings with considerations of plausibility...
- Assessment of the prozone effect in malaria rapid diagnostic testsPhilippe Gillet
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Tropical Medicine ITM, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Malar J 8:271. 2009..In this study, a panel of malaria RDTs was challenged with clinical samples with P. falciparum hyperparasitaemia (> 5% infected red blood cells)...
- Test characteristics of two rapid antigen detection tests (SD FK50 and SD FK60) for the diagnosis of malaria in returned travellersMirna Van der Palen
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 8:90. 2009..Two malaria rapid diagnostic tests were evaluated in a travel clinic setting: the SD FK50 Malaria Ag Plasmodium falciparum test (a two-band test) and the SD FK60 Malaria Ag P. falciparum/Pan test (a three-band test)...
- Automated detection of pulmonary nodules in helical CT images based on an improved template-matching techniqueY Lee
Department of Radiological Technology, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Niigata University, Japan
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 20:595-604. 2001..1/sectional image. Our present results show that our scheme can be regarded as a technique for CAD systems to detect nodules in helical CT pulmonary images...
- Digital breast tomosynthesis: observer performance studyDavid Gur
Radiology Imaging Research, Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh, 3362 Fifth Ave, Rm 223 FARP Bldg, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 193:586-91. 2009..The purpose of this study was to compare in a retrospective observer study the diagnostic performance of full-field digital mammography (FFDM) with that of digital breast tomosynthesis...
- Histological examination of false positive tissue resection using 5-aminolevulinic acid-induced fluorescence guidanceSatoshi Utsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 47:210-3; discussion 213-4. 2007..In contrast, all weak positive areas of recurrent malignant gliomas must be resected. Weak positive areas of the peritumoral edema surrounding metastatic brain tumors should be removed carefully as false positive results are common...
- Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2-based immunocapture diagnostic assay for malaria: cross-reactivity with rheumatoid factorsJ Iqbal
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat 13110, Kuwait
J Clin Microbiol 38:1184-6. 2000..Our study shows that the PfHRP-2-based ICT assay gave a false-positive reaction in 26% of the patients who had rheumatoid factors, but were negative for malaria by microscopy...
- Prospective evaluation of a rapid diagnostic test Typhidot for typhoid feverMary V Jesudason
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Christian Medical College, Vellore 632004, India
Indian J Med Res 123:513-6. 2006..A simple, reliable and affordable rapid diagnostic test has been a long felt need of the clinicians. We therefore prospectively evaluated the sensitivity and specificity of Typhidot test...
- Systematic review: the long-term effects of false-positive mammogramsNoel T Brewer
Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:502-10. 2007..Although abnormal screening mammograms deleteriously affect the psychological well-being of women during the time immediately surrounding the tests, their long-term effects are poorly understood...
- Influence of computer-aided detection on performance of screening mammographyJoshua J Fenton
University of California, Davis, Sacramento, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1399-409. 2007..Since the Food and Drug Administration approved the technology in 1998, it has been disseminated into practice, but its effect on the accuracy of interpretation is unclear...
- Genomic dissection of population substructure of Han Chinese and its implication in association studiesShuhua Xu
Chinese Academy of Sciences and Max Planck Society Partner Institute for Computational Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, PR China
Am J Hum Genet 85:762-74. 2009..These signals indicating significant differences among Han Chinese subpopulations should be carefully explained in case they are also detected in association studies, especially when sample sources are diverse...
- Malaria rapid diagnostic tests: Plasmodium falciparum infections with high parasite densities may generate false positive Plasmodium vivax pLDH linesJessica Maltha
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 9:198. 2010..Previous observations of false positive Pv-pLDH test lines in P. falciparum samples incited to the present study, which assessed P. vivax-specific RDTs for the occurrence of false positive Pv-pLDH lines in P. falciparum samples...
- HIV incidence in rural South Africa: comparison of estimates from longitudinal surveillance and cross-sectional cBED assay testingTill Barnighausen
Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
PLoS ONE 3:e3640. 2008....
- Fully automatic segmentation of multiple sclerosis lesions in brain MR FLAIR images using adaptive mixtures method and Markov random field modelRasoul Khayati
Biomedical Engineering Faculty, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Comput Biol Med 38:379-90. 2008..The results showed a better performance for the proposed approach, compared to those of previous works...
- Comparative assessment of large-scale data sets of protein-protein interactionsChristian von Mering
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69012 Heidelberg, Germany
Nature 417:399-403. 2002..To measure their accuracy and potential as well as to identify biases, strengths and weaknesses, we compare the methods with each other and with a reference set of previously reported protein interactions...
- Meta-analysis of genetic association studies supports a contribution of common variants to susceptibility to common diseaseKirk E Lohmueller
Whitehead Massachuetts Institute of Technology Center for Genome Research, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Genet 33:177-82. 2003..We conclude that there are probably many common variants in the human genome with modest but real effects on common disease risk, and that studies using large samples will convincingly identify such variants...
- fdrtool: a versatile R package for estimating local and tail area-based false discovery ratesKorbinian Strimmer
Institute for Medical Informatics, Statistics and Epidemiology, University of Leipzig, Hartelstr 16 18, 04107 Leipzig, Germany
Bioinformatics 24:1461-2. 2008..Consequently, 'fdrtool' implements a flexible FDR estimation scheme that is unified across different test statistics and variants of FDR...
- Open mass spectrometry search algorithmLewis Y Geer
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20894, USA
J Proteome Res 3:958-64. 2004..At default thresholds, OMSSA matches more spectra from a standard protein cocktail than a comparable algorithm. OMSSA is designed to be faster than published algorithms in searching large MS/MS datasets...
- Mycobacterium fortuitum infection interference with Mycobacterium bovis diagnostics: natural infection cases and a pilot experimental infectionAnita L Michel
Tuberculosis Laboratory, Bacteriology Section, Agricultural Research Council Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Onderstepoort, South Africa
J Vet Diagn Invest 20:501-3. 2008..The implications of occasional cross-reactive responses in natural cases of infection with environmental mycobacteria in the diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis in African buffalo and cattle in South Africa are discussed...
- An estimate of overdiagnosis 15 years after the start of mammographic screening in FlorenceDonella Puliti
Clinical and Descriptive Epidemiology Unit, ISPO Cancer Prevention and Research Institute, via San Salvi 12, 50135 Florence, Italy
Eur J Cancer 45:3166-71. 2009..The aim of this study is to evaluate the degree of overdiagnosis of breast cancer 15 years after the introduction of service screening in Florence (Italy)...
- Cataract and glaucoma case detection for Vision 2020 programs in Africa: an evaluation of 6 possible screening testsColin Cook
Department of Ophthalmology, Groote Schuur Hospital, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa
J Glaucoma 18:557-62. 2009..To determine if there is a screening test or a combination of screening tests that may be suitable for cataract and glaucoma case detection in Vision 2020 programs in Africa...
- Empirical methods for controlling false positives and estimating confidence in ChIP-Seq peaksDavid A Nix
Huntsman Cancer Institute, Department of Research Informatics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84105, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 9:523. 2008....
- Overdiagnosis in organised mammography screening in Denmark. A comparative studyKarsten J Jørgensen
The Nordic Cochrane Centre, Rigshospitalet, Dept 3343, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
BMC Womens Health 9:36. 2009..We quantified overdiagnosis in the Danish mammography screening programme, which is uniquely suited for this purpose, as only 20% of the Danish population has been offered organised mammography screening over a long time-period...
- Eigendetection of masses considering false positive reduction and breast density informationJordi Freixenet
Institute of Informatics and Applications IdiBGi, University of Girona, Campus Montilivi, Ed P IV 17071, Girona, Spain
Med Phys 35:1840-53. 2008....
- False-positive rifampicin resistance on Xpert® MTB/RIF: case report and clinical implicationsA van Rie
Department of Epidemiology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 16:206-8. 2012..When decentralising Xpert, test performance characteristics need to be understood by health care workers and methods of confirmation of RMP resistance need to be accessible...
- A system to detect the onset of epileptic seizures in scalp EEGM E Saab
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, 3801 University Street, Montreal, Que, Canada H3A 2B4
Clin Neurophysiol 116:427-42. 2005..The system is based on determining the seizure probability of a section of EEG. Operation features a user-tuneable threshold to exploit the trade-off between sensitivity and detection delay and an acceptable false detection rate...
- Risk of breast cancer after false-positive test results in screening mammographyMy von Euler-Chelpin
Department of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen K, Denmark
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:682-9. 2012..Normally, women with false-positive screening tests for breast cancer are referred back to routine screening. However, the long-term outcome for women with false-positive tests is unknown...
- Computer-aided diagnosis of pulmonary nodules on CT scans: segmentation and classification using 3D active contoursTed W Way
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Med Phys 33:2323-37. 2006..The lung nodule volumes segmented by the 3D AC model for best classification were generally larger than those outlined by the LIDC radiologists using visual judgment of nodule boundaries...
- False-positive Plasmodium falciparum histidine-rich protein 2 immunocapture assay results for acute schistosomiasis caused by Schistosoma mekongiEyal Leshem
Center for Geographic Medicine and Tropical Diseases, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Clin Microbiol 49:2331-2. 2011..PfHRP2 assays were negative in travelers infected with Schistosoma mansoni or Schistosoma haematobium (n = 13). Malaria was ruled out and rheumatoid factor was negative in all patients...
- Effect of protocol-related variables and women's characteristics on the cumulative false-positive risk in breast cancer screeningR Roman
Department of Epidemiology and Evaluation, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica Parc de Salut Mar Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Oncol 23:104-11. 2012..Reducing the false-positive risk in breast cancer screening is important. We examined how the screening-protocol and women's characteristics affect the cumulative false-positive risk...
- Factors affecting reproducibility between genome-scale siRNA-based screensNicholas J Barrows
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke NUS Graduate Medical School, Durham, NC, USA
J Biomol Screen 15:735-47. 2010....
- Psychological consequences of false-positive screening mammograms in the UKMary Bond
PenTAG, University of Exeter, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, Devon, UK
Evid Based Med 18:54-61. 2013..To identify the psychological effects of false-positive screening mammograms in the UK...
- Indoor collections of the Anopheles funestus group (Diptera: Culicidae) in sprayed houses in northern KwaZulu-Natal, South AfricaJoel C Mouatcho
Vector Control Reference Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, NHLS, Private Bag X4, Sandringham, Johannesburg 2131, South Africa
Malar J 6:30. 2007..Subsequent monitoring and surveillance of mosquito populations were conducted as part of the malaria vector control programme...
- Web-based grading of compressed stereoscopic digital photography versus standard slide film photography for the diagnosis of diabetic retinopathyChristopher J Rudnisky
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Ophthalmology 114:1748-54. 2007....
- Effects of false-positive results in a breast screening program on anxiety, depression and health-related quality of lifeBjorg Hafslund
Institute of Radiography, Faculty of Health and Social Sciences, Bergen University College, Norway
Cancer Nurs 35:E26-34. 2012..No long-term effects have been fully demonstrated, and the findings for anxiety and depression are contradictory. Few studies have addressed changes in health-related quality of life (HRQOL)...
- Expanded newborn screening for biochemical disorders: the effect of a false-positive resultElizabeth A Gurian
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatrics 117:1915-21. 2006..False-positive identifications may increase as disorders are added to screening panels. Concerns arise regarding the potential impact on parental stress, family relationships, and perceptions of the child's health...
- Anniversary paper: History and status of CAD and quantitative image analysis: the role of Medical Physics and AAPMMaryellen L Giger
Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Med Phys 35:5799-820. 2008..A historical review of CAD and a discussion of challenges for the future are presented here, along with the extension to quantitative image analysis...
- False-positive and false-negative cases of fine-needle aspiration cytology for palpable breast lesionsTakashi Ishikawa
Department of Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, 232 0024, Japan
Breast Cancer 14:388-92. 2007..Fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNA) is less traumatic and technically easy to apply to small breast tumors...
- Comparison of radiologist and CAD performance in the detection of CT-confirmed subtle pulmonary nodules on digital chest radiographsThorsten Alexander Bley
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Invest Radiol 43:343-8. 2008..Detection of subtle pulmonary nodules on digital radiography is a challenging task for radiologists. The aim of this study was to evaluate the performance of a newly approved computer aided detection (CAD) system...
- Parental tolerance of false-positive newborn screening resultsLisa A Prosser
Department of Ambulatory Care and Prevention, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, 133 Brookline Ave, Sixth Floor, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:870-6. 2008..To measure parental tolerance for a false-positive newborn screening result by assessing perceived quality of life for screening results and health states associated with expanded newborn screening programs for metabolic disorders...
- Overdiagnosis in publicly organised mammography screening programmes: systematic review of incidence trendsKarsten Juhl Jørgensen
The Nordic Cochrane Centre, Rigshospitalet, Dept 3343, Blegdamsvej 9, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
BMJ 339:b2587. 2009..To estimate the extent of overdiagnosis (the detection of cancers that will not cause death or symptoms) in publicly organised screening programmes...
- Diagnosis of tuberculous uveitis: clinical application of an interferon-gamma release assayMarcus Ang
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Ophthalmology 116:1391-6. 2009..To determine the role of the QuantiFERON-TB Gold In-Tube (QFT) (Cellestis Inc., Carnegie, Australia) assay in the diagnosis of tuberculosis (TB) uveitis...
- Automated neonatal seizure detection mimicking a human observer reading EEGW Deburchgraeve
Department of Electrical Engineering ESAT, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 10, 3001 Leuven Heverlee, Belgium
Clin Neurophysiol 119:2447-54. 2008..The description and evaluation of a novel patient-independent seizure detection for the EEG of the newborn term infant...
- Seizure detection algorithm for neonates based on wave-sequence analysisMichael A Navakatikyan
BrainZ Instruments Ltd, 25 Carbine Road, Mt Wellington, P O Box 51078 Pakuranga, Auckland 1730, New Zealand
Clin Neurophysiol 117:1190-203. 2006..The description and evaluation of the performance of a new real-time seizure detection algorithm in the newborn infant...
- Lung nodule detection on thoracic computed tomography images: preliminary evaluation of a computer-aided diagnosis systemMetin N Gurcan
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0904, USA
Med Phys 29:2552-8. 2002..These preliminary results demonstrate the feasibility of our approach to lung nodule detection and FP reduction on CT images...
- The cumulative risk of a false-positive recall in the Norwegian Breast Cancer Screening ProgramSolveig Hofvind
The Cancer Registry of Norway, Montebello, Oslo
Cancer 101:1501-7. 2004..A secondary objective was to estimate the cumulative risk of undergoing fine-needle aspiration cytology, core needle biopsy, and open biopsy with benign morphology in the same group of women...
- Mammography in 53,803 women from the New Hampshire mammography networkS P Poplack
Departments of Radiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, 1 Medical Center Dr, HB 7999, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Radiology 217:832-40. 2000..To describe measures of mammography performance in a geographically defined population and evaluate the interpreter's use of the Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS)...
- Performance evaluation of three automated human immunodeficiency virus antigen-antibody combination immunoassaysJung Ah Kwon
Department of Laboratory Medicine, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Virol Methods 133:20-6. 2006..0% to 99.6%. The Architect HIV Ag/Ab Combo exhibited the best performance for specificity and detection of p24 antigen leading to closure of seroconversion window and demonstrating its utility for early diagnosis of HIV infection...
- False positive and false negative FDG-PET scans in various thoracic diseasesJung Min Chang
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 7:57-69. 2006..In this review, we illustrate false positive and negative findings of PET scan in a variety of diseases...
- Regional differences in Finland in the prevalence of rheumatoid factor in the presence and absence of arthritisT Korpilähde
Department of Medicine, Kuopio University Hospital, Kuopio, Finland
Ann Rheum Dis 62:353-5. 2003..To look for possible regional differences in the prevalence of rheumatoid factor (RF) in the presence and absence of arthritis...
- Effective prediction of preeclampsia by a combined ratio of angiogenesis-related factorsJi Hyae Lim
Laboratory of Medical Genetics, Medical Research Institute, Cheil General Hospital and Women s Healthcare Center, Seoul, Korea
Obstet Gynecol 111:1403-9. 2008....
- Endoscopic detection of transitional cell carcinoma with 5-aminolevulinic acid: results of 1012 fluorescence endoscopiesD Zaak
Department of Urology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, Germany
Urology 57:690-4. 2001..7% of these additionally detected neoplastic foci had poorly differentiated histologic features. CONCLUSIONS: AFE has proved to be a clinically feasible procedure with an outstanding detection rate for flat, urothelial, high-risk lesions...
- Role of conventional angiography in evaluation of patients with carotid artery stenosis demonstrated by Doppler ultrasound in general practiceA I Qureshi
Department of Neurosurgery and Toshiba Stroke Research Center, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, Buffalo, USA
Stroke 32:2287-91. 2001..We performed a 12-month prospective study to evaluate the accuracy of Doppler ultrasound in identifying patients for carotid intervention in general practice settings...
- PeakSeq enables systematic scoring of ChIP-seq experiments relative to controlsJoel Rozowsky
Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry Dept, Yale University, PO Box 208114, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8114, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:66-75. 2009..Our scoring procedure enables us to optimize experimental design by estimating the depth of sequencing required for a desired level of coverage and demonstrating that more than two replicates provides only a marginal gain in information...
- False-positive results in cancer epidemiology: a plea for epistemological modestyPaolo Boffetta
Lifestyle, Environment and Cancer Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69008 Lyon, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:988-95. 2008....
- International variation in screening mammography interpretations in community-based programsJoann G Elmore
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1384-93. 2003..To evaluate international variability in mammography interpretation, we analyzed published reports from community-based screening programs from around the world...
- A random variance model for detection of differential gene expression in small microarray experimentsGeorge W Wright
National Cancer Institute Biometric Research Branch, National Institutes of Health, 6130 Executive Blvd, MSC 7434, Bethesda, MD 20892 7434, USA
Bioinformatics 19:2448-55. 2003..This makes accurate estimation of variability difficult, since variance estimates made on a gene by gene basis will have few degrees of freedom, and the assumption that all genes share equal variance is unlikely to be true...
- "False-positive" cardiac catheterization laboratory activation among patients with suspected ST-segment elevation myocardial infarctionDavid M Larson
Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407, USA
JAMA 298:2754-60. 2007..There are limited data on the frequency of "false-positive" catheterization laboratory activation in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention for suspected STEMI...
- Evaluation of multidimensional chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (LC/LC-MS/MS) for large-scale protein analysis: the yeast proteomeJunmin Peng
Department of Cell Biology, and Taplin Biological Mass Spectrometry Facility, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Proteome Res 2:43-50. 2003..New criteria are proposed to decrease false-positives to less than 1% and to greatly reduce the need for manual interpretation while permitting more proteins to be identified...
- Total tau protein in cerebrospinal fluid and diffusion-weighted MRI as an early diagnostic marker for Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseKatsuya Satoh
First Department of Internal Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 24:207-12. 2007..Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DWI) and the detection of total tau (t-tau) protein in CSF may be more sensitive diagnostic criteria...
- Identifying combinations of cancer markers for further study as triggers of early interventionS G Baker
Biometry Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, EPN 344, 6130 Executive Blvd MSC 7354, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7354, USA
Biometrics 56:1082-7. 2000..In a separate validation sample, the ROC curve for last total PSA intersected the target region in 77% of bootstrap replications, indicating some promise for further study. We also discussed sample size calculations...
- Investigation of false positive results with an oral fluid rapid HIV-1/2 antibody testKrishna Jafa
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e185. 2007..From August 2004-June 2005, we investigated a sudden increase in false-positive results occurring in a performance study of OraQuick oral-fluid rapid HIV tests in Minnesota...
- Effects of mammography screening under different screening schedules: model estimates of potential benefits and harmsJeanne S Mandelblatt
Georgetown University Medical Center and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Washington, DC, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:738-47. 2009..Despite trials of mammography and widespread use, optimal screening policy is controversial...
- Paracheck-Pf accuracy and recently treated Plasmodium falciparum infections: is there a risk of over-diagnosis?Todd D Swarthout
Medecins Sans Frontieres, London, UK
Malar J 6:58. 2007..An assessment of the accuracy of Paracheck Pf, a malaria rapid diagnostic test (RDT) detecting histidine rich protein 2 was undertaken amongst children aged 6-59 months in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo...
- A Bayesian measure of the probability of false discovery in genetic epidemiology studiesJon Wakefield
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Hum Genet 81:208-27. 2007..Finally, we use BFDP to assess the association between 131 single-nucleotide polymorphisms and lung cancer in a case-control study...
- Using computer-aided detection in mammography as a decision supportMaurice Samulski
Department of Radiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Geert Grooteplein 10, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 20:2323-30. 2010..To evaluate an interactive computer-aided detection (CAD) system for reading mammograms to improve decision making...
- Association of schistosomiasis with false-positive HIV test results in an African adolescent populationDean B Everett
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
J Clin Microbiol 48:1570-7. 2010..In Africa, endemic infections may affect the specificities of immunoassays for HIV infection. Caution should be used when the results of 4th-generation HIV test results are interpreted for African adolescent populations...
- Field evaluation of five rapid diagnostic tests for screening of HIV-1 infections in rural Rakai, UgandaS C Kagulire
Rakai Health Sciences Program, Kalisizo, Uganda
Int J STD AIDS 22:308-9. 2011..Properly trained staff, good quality control programmes and validation of RDTs with laboratories having confirmatory testing capacity may be warranted to assure accuracy in each setting...
- False-positive tuberculin skin tests: what is the absolute effect of BCG and non-tuberculous mycobacteria?M Farhat
Respiratory Epidemiology and Clinical Research Unit, Montreal Chest Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 10:1192-204. 2006..However, TST specificity is reduced by bacille Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination and exposure to non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM)...
- Lung cancers missed on chest radiographs: results obtained with a commercial computer-aided detection programFeng Li
Kurt Rossmann Laboratories for Radiologic Image Research, Department of Radiology, MC 2026, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Radiology 246:273-80. 2008....
- Interpretation of the tuberculin skin test in Mycobacterium bovis BCG-vaccinated Singaporean schoolchildrenC B Chee
Tuberculosis Control Unit, Department of Respiratory Medicine, and Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:958-61. 2001..We have extrapolated these findings to the screening of contacts, and utilized these cutoff points to guide the treatment of latent TB infection in this high-risk group...
- Detection of genetically modified organisms in foodsFarid E Ahmed
Dept of Radiation Oncology, Leo W Jenkins Cancer Center, The Brody School of Medicine, LSB 014, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Trends Biotechnol 20:215-23. 2002....
- Comparison of two LED fluorescence microscopy build-on modules for acid-fast smear microscopyD Affolabi
Laboratoire de Référence des Mycobactéries, Cotonou, Benin
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:160-4. 2010..National Reference Laboratory, Benin...
- Bead-based multiplexed immunoassays to identify new biomarkers in maternal serum to improve first trimester Down syndrome screeningM P H Koster
Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Screening, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment RIVM, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Prenat Diagn 29:857-62. 2009..To identify new discriminative biomarkers for Down syndrome (DS) pregnancies using a bead-based multiplexed immunoassay, and to use the newly identified biomarkers to construct a prediction model for non-invasive DS screening...
- False positive reactions for IgA and IgG anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies in liver cirrhosis are common and method-dependentDanilo Villalta
Immunologia Clinica e Virologia, Azienda Ospedaliera, S Maria degli Angeli, Via Montereale 24, 33170 Pordenone, Italy
Clin Chim Acta 356:102-9. 2005..In order to establish whether this was attributable to methodological differences, anti-tTG antibodies were assayed in a large number of patients suffering from liver cirrhosis (LC)...
- Estimating the cumulative risk of a false-positive under a regimen involving various types of cancer screening testsStuart G Baker
Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Blvd MSC 7354, Bethesda, MD 20892 7354, USA
J Med Screen 15:18-22. 2008..Previous methods for estimating cumulative risk of FPs with a single type of test are not directly applicable, so a new approach was developed...
- Clinical utility and characteristics of nine anti-HCV antibody screening reagents used in JapanMifumi Kita
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Otemae Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Clin Lab 55:9-22. 2009..Each anti-HCV antibody screening reagent in use has unique features, and it is suggested that caution be used when diagnosing HCV infection on the basis of the results of a single antibody test...
- Risk factors associated with false positive HIV test results in a low-risk urban obstetric populationTamara T Chao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9032, USA
J Pregnancy 2012:841979. 2012..To examine risk factors for false positive HIV enzyme immunoassay (EIA) testing at delivery...
- A review of the psychosocial effects of false-positive results on parents and current communication practices in newborn screeningJ Hewlett
Division of Genetics, Children s Hospital Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 29:677-82. 2006..Communication strategies with sample materials are proposed...
- Prospective study of breast tomosynthesis as a triage to assessment in screeningDaniela Bernardi
UO Senologia Clinica e Screening Mammografico, Dipartimento di Radiodiagnostica, APSS, Via Degasperi, 79, 38100 Trento, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 133:267-71. 2012..Future studies of 3D mammography should further assess its role as a recall-reducing strategy in screening practice and should include formal cost-analysis...
- Radioiodine therapy for thyroid cancer depicted uterine leiomyomaKenji Hirata
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Clin Nucl Med 34:180-1. 2009..We suggest that uterine leiomyoma might be added to the pitfall list, although the mechanism of I-131 uptake remains unclear...
- Very low hepatitis C antibody levels predict false-positive results and avoid supplemental testingAna M Contreras
Health Research Council in Jalisco State, Mexican Institute of Social Security, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Transfusion 48:2540-8. 2008....
- Focal F-18 fluoro-deoxy-glucose accumulation in the lung parenchyma in the absence of CT abnormality in PET/CTDimitrios Karantanis
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
J Comput Assist Tomogr 31:800-5. 2007..To demonstrate 3 cases of artifactual focal F-18 fluoro-deoxy-glucose accumulation in the lung parenchyma in the absence of any computed tomographic (CT) abnormality...
- False-positive I-131 accumulation in a hepatic hydatid cystOzgur Omur
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ege University Medical Faculty, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Clin Nucl Med 32:930-2. 2007..Hepatic cystic mass was removed, and postoperative histologic evaluation confirmed hydatid disease. Some cystic lesions of the kidney and liver have been previously reported as causes of false-positive radioiodine accumulation...
- False positives in imaging geneticsAndreas Meyer-Lindenberg
Unit for Systems Neuroscience in Psychiatry, National Institute for Mental Health, NIH, DHHS, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 1365, USA
Neuroimage 40:655-61. 2008..In fact, our observations indicate that these statistical thresholds are conservative...
- Classification of real and pseudo microRNA precursors using local structure-sequence features and support vector machineChenghai Xue
Laboratory of Complex Systems and Intelligence Science, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
BMC Bioinformatics 6:310. 2005..Being able to classify real vs. pseudo pre-miRNAs is important both for understanding of the nature of miRNAs and for developing ab initio prediction methods that can discovery new miRNAs without known homology...
- Effect of false-positives and women's characteristics on long-term adherence to breast cancer screeningR Roman
Department of Epidemiology and Evaluation, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica Parc de Salut Mar, Mar Teaching Hospital, 25 29 Passeig Maritim, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 130:543-52. 2011..These findings may be useful in providing women with accurate information and in improving the effectiveness of screening programs...
- Reduction of the false-positive rate in newborn screening by implementation of MS/MS-based second-tier tests: the Mayo Clinic experience (2004-2007)D Matern
Biochemical Genetics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:585-92. 2007..09%, a positive predictive value of 41%, and a positive detection rate of 1 affected case in 1672 babies screened...
- Consensus review of discordant findings maximizes cancer detection rate in double-reader screening mammography: Irish National Breast Screening Program experienceColette M Shaw
BreastCheck and Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin 7, Ireland
Radiology 250:354-62. 2009..To assesses consensus review of discordant screening mammography findings in terms of its sensitivity, safety, and effect on overall performance in the first 6 years of operation of the Irish National Breast Screening Program (NBSP)...
- Kernel methods for predicting protein-protein interactionsAsa Ben-Hur
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington Seattle, WA, USA
Bioinformatics 21:i38-46. 2005....
- Influence of urinary tract instrumentation and inflammation on the performance of urine markers for the detection of bladder cancerTilman Todenhöfer
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Tuebingen, Germany
Urology 79:620-4. 2012..The specificity of urine markers for urothelial cancer is subject to exogenous factors. There is evidence that nuclear matrix protein 22 (NMP22) is influenced by urinary tract infection and instrumented urinary sampling (IUS)...
- The value of FDG-PET/CT in assessing single pulmonary nodules in patients at high risk of lung cancerOlga Kagna
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Ramban Health Care Campus, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 36:997-1004. 2009..To evaluate whether PET/low-dose CT (ldCT) using (18)F-fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) improves characterization of indeterminate single pulmonary nodules (SPNs) in patients at high risk of lung cancer...
- Clinical issues and frequent questions about biotinidase deficiencyBarry Wolf
Department of Medical Genetics, Henry Ford Hospital, 3031 West Grand Blvd, Suite 700, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Mol Genet Metab 100:6-13. 2010..In this paper, many of these issues are addressed using evidence-based medicine and anecdotal experiences. If adequate answers are not known, the answers to these queries will require future investigations...
- Review of false-positive cultures for Mycobacterium tuberculosis and recommendations for avoiding unnecessary treatmentW J Burman
Department of Public Health, Denver Health and Hospital Authority, CO, USA
Clin Infect Dis 31:1390-5. 2000..Laboratories and tuberculosis control programs should develop procedures to identify patients having only 1 positive culture. Such patients should be further evaluated for the possibility of a false-positive culture...
- Mastopathic-type fibroadenoma and ductal adenoma of the breast with false-positive fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomographyRin Yamaguchi
Department of Pathology, Kurume University Medical Center, Kurume, Japan
Jpn J Radiol 27:280-4. 2009..5 on PET. It was diagnosed as fibroadenoma of mastopathic type histopathologically by excisional biopsy. The readers should be aware that these benign tumors may cause false-positive results on PET...
- Computerized detection of lung nodules in thin-section CT images by use of selective enhancement filters and an automated rule-based classifierQiang Li
Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Acad Radiol 15:165-75. 2008..We have been developing a computer-aided diagnostic (CAD) scheme for lung nodule detection in order to assist radiologists in the detection of lung cancer in thin-section computed tomography (CT) images...
- Establishing a malaria diagnostics centre of excellence in Kisumu, KenyaColin Ohrt
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Malar J 6:79. 2007..The primary objective was to ensure valid clinical trial and diagnostic test evaluations. Key secondary objectives were technology transfer to host countries, establishment of partnerships, and training of clinical microscopists...
- Evaluation of the Palutop+4 malaria rapid diagnostic test in a non-endemic settingDavid P J van Dijk
Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences FHML, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Malar J 8:293. 2009....
- Observations on false positive reactions in the rapid NOW Filariasis card testPaul E Simonsen
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund, Denmark
Trop Med Int Health 9:1200-2. 2004..Concern has been raised that a high proportion of infection negative individuals develop false positive reactions in these tests when the test cards are left for a prolonged period before being examined...
- Influenza vaccination and false positive HIV resultsChristian P Erickson
N Engl J Med 354:1422-3. 2006
- Rapid versus standard testing for prenatal HIV screening in a predominantly Hispanic populationC S Tung
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77018, USA
J Perinatol 30:30-2. 2010..This study aimed to examine the false positive rate of the OraQuick rapid human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) test compared with the ELISA test in pregnant patients of low socioeconomic status...
- CHEMOTHERAPY DECISIONS AND OUTCOMES FOR THE ELDERLYJeanne Mandelblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..Interventions derived from this project, hold the promise of improving the quality of care for the fastest growing segment of the breast cancer population. ..
- 3D Massive Training ANN for CAD for Colon Cancer in CT ColonographyKenji Suzuki; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY AND BREAST CANCERPatricia Carney; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- PREVALENCE EFFECT IN IMAGING SYSTEMS EVALUATIONSDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- A first-responder EEG device for seizure management in a nerve gas attackScott Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROC Analysis of Imaging System EvaluationsDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will develop closed-form solutions for the ANOVA procedure conducted on all possible bootstrap values. ..
- Multimodality CAD system with image references for breast mass characterizationBerkman Sahiner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Any reduction in this number without a decrease in breast cancer detection sensitivity will decrease health care costs, as well as contribute to the well-being of the patient by reducing anxiety and morbidity. ..
- Perception and Inter-Observer Variability in MammographyClaudia Mello Thoms; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the changes in sampling strategy will correspond to actual possible strategies for the human observers themselves. ..
- Statistical Methods for Identifying Genes Associated with Diabetes DevelopmentYinglei Lai; Fiscal Year: 2007..R-package based computer programs will be developed, tested, documented, and freely distributed to the scientific community. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assessment of Variance Structure in ROC StudiesDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., those that are the less demanding of the expensive resources of gathering patient cases and expanding radiologists reading time. ..
- ROC Analysis of Imaging System EvaluationsDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- The Laboratory Effect in Breast Cancer Detection StudiesDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2007..The comparison we are attempting to do is at the very core of our ability (or not) to generalize laboratory observer performance data to the general clinical environment in a valid manner. ..
- Integrated Top-Down/Bottom-Up Comprehensive ProteomicsSatya Saxena; Fiscal Year: 2007..Research efforts in the R43 phase will address early implementation, optimization, and demonstration of the proposed proteome technology using yeast cell lysates. ..
- Comparing Performance Under FROC Paradigm - A Non Parametirc ApproachDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Network Topology in Cell SignalingNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2008..Altogether, these studies will greatly advance our knowledge of signaling networks and their organization during signal transduction. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UNDERSTANDING VARIABILITY IN COMMUNITY MAMMOGRAPHYJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work builds on our previous model development and is a natural extension in a timely and important clinical area. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- fMRI ABILITY TO MAP COLUMNAR STRUCTURES IN HUMANSEssa Yacoub; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the existence of orientation columns in humans, which has never been shown, can be addressed using fMRI techniques developed in this work. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Computer-Aided Detection of Pulmonary Embolism on CT Pulmonary AngiographyChuan Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2007..CAD will potentially reduce missed PEs and improve the chance of timely treatment of patients, thus reducing the mortality rate and speed up recovery from this condition. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COORDINATING CENTER FOR AMD PREVENTION TRIALMaureen Maguire; Fiscal Year: 2006..Design and implement a full program of quality assurance activities; . Design and implement studies of quality of life assessment; . Assist with the preparation of scientific reports. ..
- Benefits and Burdens of Screening Oldest-old Women: the Case of MammographyMARA SCHONBERG; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Software For The Analysis Of Hormone PulsatilityMichael Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2008..We also envision potential applications in other non-endocrine research fields. ..
- Cysteine, Related Gene Variants and Breast Cancer RiskWalter C Willett; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- FUNCTIONAL MRI IN HUMANS AT 7 TESLAEssa Yacoub; Fiscal Year: 2010..4 Tesla for the first time in humans. Furthermore, we will systematically compare the advantages of higher field systems with lower field systems (3 T) for general applications. ..
- Preventing the IncidentalomeIsaac S Kohane; Fiscal Year: 2010..Evidence supporting this hypothesis will both serve as an important caution in the use of genetic testing and will also demonstrate the value of population studies to find the broader clinical significance of genetic mutations. ..
- Affect Labeling Expressive Writing and Emotion RegulationMatthew Dylan Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A genome-wide association study to detect genetic variation for schizophreniaEdwin van den Oord; Fiscal Year: 2010..We attempt to contribute to the rigorous evaluation of the common disease/common genetic variant model for schizophrenia, which is key to further understand its pathophysiology and develop effective treatments. ..
- Analysis and Statistical Validation of Proteomic DatasetsAlexey Nesvizhskii; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- CHARACTERIZATION OF PRODROMAL SCHIZOPHRENIABarbara Cornblatt; Fiscal Year: 2009..This design is expected to provide the prospective evidence base essential to develop effective, stage-specific interventions targeting a broad spectrum of outcomes. Prevention of psychosis remains a very long-term goal. ..
- COMPUTERIZED RADIOGRAPHIC ANALYSIS OF BONE STRUCTUREMaryellen Giger; Fiscal Year: 2009..We expect that with this grant renewal, we will be able to complete the research with a focus on translation of the results into the clinical arena. ..
- The Feasibility of Earlier Detection of Ovarian Cancer Using Symptom ReportsMarin Andersen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Outcomes of such an approach for women with and without the identified pattern of symptoms will be examined. ..
- Host factors involved in bacterial pathogenesisNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2009..tuberculosis and its human host. ..
- Spatio-Temporal Epidemiology: Methods and ApplicationsJonathan Wakefield; Fiscal Year: 2008..S. cancer incidence and mortality data, and Washington State small-area cancer incidence data. Developed methods will be made available to researchers via implementation within freely-available software. ..
- Gene Polymorphism & Treatment-Symptoms in Lung CancerCielito Reyes Gibby; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Epigenetic Effects of ResveratrolEdward Sauter; Fiscal Year: 2008..As more and more Americans turn to nutraceuticals for a healthier lifestyle, studies like these are increasingly important in the fight against cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Viral Immunity in DrosophilaNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because our insect virus system is sensitive to drugs that are used against human viruses, our studies may lead to the identification of novel antiviral compounds that may prove effective in mammalian cells. ..
- Neurodevelopment and HIV/AIDSAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mammography Screening Decisions in the ElderlyMARA SCHONBERG; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is the first study to explore very elderly women's approach to decisions about screening mammography. ..
- HIV-Infected IDU Living with HCV CoinfectionKarolynn Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX-IIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) The team of investigators is strong, and has collaborated previously in successful research in PE. ..
- Treatment Models for Primary and Chronic HIV InfectionRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Rochelle Walensky with a firm basis for career development as an independent, patient-oriented clinical researcher at the interface of these critical areas. ..
- COMPUTER AIDED DIAGNOSIS IN BREAST IMAGINGMaryellen Giger; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that with the combined information from multimodality imaging and clinical information, overall patient outcome will improve. ..
- Statistical Design & Analysis of Microarray ExperimentsSandrine Dudoit; Fiscal Year: 2004..To facilitate use and integration with biological information resources a web-browser interface will be provided. ..
- OBSERVER PERFORMANCE STUDIES-READER SELECTION & TRAININGDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2002..While they proposed to continue to investigate several aspects in this regard, the current proposal would focus on the possible effects of observer (reader) selection and training on study design and results. ..
- Early Detection of Lung Cancer via Bi Plane CorrelationEhsan Samei; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings will be used to demonstrate the capability of the approach for improving the detection of lung nodules, and thus the prognosis of lung cancer. ..
- Symptom Interpretation & Oral Health among Harlem AdultsKarolynn Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2005..In depth face-to-face, focused interviews will be conducted with 120 adults. As in several of the principal Investigator's previous federally funded investigations, qualitative research methods will be employed. ..
- Treatment and Outcome of AIDS-related LymphomaCatherine Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly, we will determine how the use of HAART influences the IPI and develop a prognostic model that incorporates HIV-related factors, tumor characteristics, HAART, and chemotherapy. ..
- PREDICTING AND IMPROVING OUTCOMES IN ACUTE RENAL FAILURERavindra Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated (by the applicants) that information gained from this study, being largely observational, will be used to rationally design intervention strategies in future years. ..
- ENOS & THE RADICAL MECHANISM OF ANTITUMOR ANTHRACYCLINESBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding the relationship between DOX-induced apoptosis and ROS formation may help discover novel antioxidant/antiapoptotic therapy in oxidant-induced disease processes. ..
- Identification of Differentially Expressed Proteomes in Human AstrocytomasBRIAN BALGLEY; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. grade II to grade III. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Psychiatric Genetics and Family Studies: Robust MethodsSusan E Hodge; Fiscal Year: 2010..Relevance: This work will contribute to public health by developing improved methods for identifying genes and understanding the genetics of common, complex diseases, including, but not limited to, psychiatric diseases. ..
- Images of Quantified Hypoxic Stress in MuscleBritton Chance; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our especial goals are improving geriatric performance and detecting mitochondrial disease. See Appendix A for Glossary. ..
- Interactive CAD for MammographyBin Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PERCEPTUAL MODEL FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAY OPTIMIZATIONDev Chakraborty; Fiscal Year: 2002..Also to be generated are iso-contour plots of the effects of common workstation variables on image quality in both tasks. This will allow digital mammography workstations to be more intelligently used. ..
- Design and analysis of adaptive multistage genetic association studiesEdwin van den Oord; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this project is to develop a flexible framework for designing these studies in a cost-effective way and optimize subsequent replication efforts. ..
- Peroxide, NO and Iron Signaling in Endothelial DamageBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Novelty: This proposal presents a new insight on peroxide-induced iron signaling in endothelial apoptosis and on the role of NO and antioxidants in mitigating these effects. ..
- Development of a Wearable Seizure Warning DeviceGEORGIY MINASYAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TAMOXIFEN & BREAST CANCER--ACCEPTANCE/COST EFFECTIVENESSJoy Melnikow; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Surveillance Strategies Following Treatment for CINJoy Melnikow; Fiscal Year: 2007..Alternative strategies for post-treatment surveillance will be evaluated. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Resource and QOL Consequences of Lung Cancer ScreeningMargaret Byrne; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GENETICS OF AD PARTIAL EPILEPSY WITH AUDITORY FEATURESRuth Ottman; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Bicarbonate Enhances Peroxidation of SOD/ALS MutantsBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- STATISTICAL METHODS FOR COMMUNITY INTERVENTION TRIALSZiding Feng; Fiscal Year: 2003..The bias and efficiency of this method compared to competing procedures will be examined analytically and via simulation. ..
- Polymyxin-resistant Pseudomonas in CF Lung InfectionSamuel M Moskowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..An interdisciplinary study of polymyxin resistant Pseudomonas from patients with cystic fibrosis is proposed to pinpoint the bacterial genes responsible for this resistance, so that management strategies may be devised to overcome it. ..
- Eicosanoids and the Outflow Pathways of the EyeRobert Weinreb; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of these studies have important implications for the discovery of new treatments for glaucoma and other vision-threatening eye diseases. ..
- ACC in Neuroticism and Social CognitionMATTHEW LIEBERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Treating PTSD in Children Exposed to Domestic ViolenceJudith Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Neural Mechanisms Underlying Stress ReactivityMATTHEW LIEBERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Supportive evidence will flesh out the neural mechanisms through which individual differences affect biological responses to stress and elucidate the risk factors for stress- related mental and physical health problems. ..
- Quantitative Cross-Species Approaches to Gene RegulationLEE NEWBERG; Fiscal Year: 2007..A K25 award will enable Newberg to become a high-quality independent investigator and will move us towards a greater understanding of cellular function. ..
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF FAMILIAL EPILEPSYRuth Ottman; Fiscal Year: 2001..g., generalized epilepsy, localization-related epilepsy). ..
- UNDERSTANDING VARIABILITY IN COMMUNITY MAMMOGRAPHYJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2002..Gaining a better understanding of how individual radiologists and their practice environment account for variation will help identify ways to improve mammography. ..
- Phonetic and prosodic effects in perceptual assimilationJAMES HARNSBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF SEIZURE DISORDERS IN ROCHESTERRuth Ottman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Pharmacologic Treat. of PTSD in Sexually Abused ChildrenJudith Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2005....