Genomes and Genes
false negative reactions
Summary: Negative test results in subjects who possess the attribute for which the test is conducted. The labeling of diseased persons as healthy when screening in the detection of disease. (Last, A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
Publications238 found, 100 shown here
- Detecting heteroplasmy from high-throughput sequencing of complete human mitochondrial DNA genomesMingkun Li
Department of Evolutionary Genetics, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, D04103 Leipzig, Germany
Am J Hum Genet 87:237-49. 2010..With appropriate criteria for avoiding false positives due to sequencing errors, next-generation technologies can provide novel insights into genome-wide aspects of mtDNA heteroplasmy...
- False positive and false negative FDG-PET scans in various thoracic diseasesJung Min Chang
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 7:57-69. 2006..In this review, we illustrate false positive and negative findings of PET scan in a variety of diseases...
- A BRCA1/2 mutation, high breast density and prominent pushing margins of a tumor independently contribute to a frequent false-negative mammographyMadeleine Tilanus-Linthorst
Department of Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 102:91-5. 2002..Pushing margins of the tumor partly explain these results. For early BC detection in mutation carriers additional methods like MRI may be needed. This may not be necessary in other young women with breast symptoms...
- Performance of the OraQuick rapid antibody test for diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection in patients with various levels of exposure to highly active antiretroviral therapyRobert J O'Connell
Department of Infectious Diseases, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas 78236, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:2153-5. 2003..Four false-negative subjects, who were characterized by early initiation of effective antiretroviral therapy, demonstrated waning serum anti-gp41 titers and Western blot band intensities...
- Diagnostic accuracy of mammography, clinical examination, US, and MR imaging in preoperative assessment of breast cancerWendie A Berg
American College of Radiology Imaging Network, 301 Merrie Hunt Drive, Lutherville, MD 21093, USA
Radiology 233:830-49. 2004..To prospectively assess accuracy of mammography, clinical examination, ultrasonography (US), and magnetic resonance (MR) imaging in preoperative assessment of local extent of breast cancer...
- Locally advanced breast cancer: comparison of mammography, sonography and MR imaging in evaluation of residual disease in women receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapyViviana Londero
Institute of Radiology, University of Udine, Via Colugna 50, 33100 Udine, Italy
Eur Radiol 14:1371-9. 2004..5%. MRI assesses response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy better than traditional methods of physical examination and mammography...
- Tuberculosis skin testing, anergy and protein malnutrition in PeruT F Pelly
Asociacion Benefica PRISMA, Lima, Peru
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:977-84. 2005..Malnutrition and intestinal parasites cause immunosuppression. This may cause false-negative tuberculin skin tests (TST) and failure to identify tuberculosis (TB) infection...
- Accuracy of sonographically guided 14-gauge core-needle biopsy: results of 715 consecutive breast biopsies with at least two-year follow-up of benign lesionsPavel Crystal
Department of Radiology, Soroka University Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O B 151, Beer Sheva, 84105, Israel
J Clin Ultrasound 33:47-52. 2005..The objective of this study was to examine the diagnostic accuracy of sonographically guided 14-gauge core-needle biopsy (CNB)...
- Uses and abuses of screening testsDavid A Grimes
Family Health International, PO Box 13950, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Lancet 359:881-4. 2002..However, inappropriate application or interpretation of screening tests can rob people of their perceived health, initiate harmful diagnostic testing, and squander health-care resources...
- How to combine ultrasound and cytological information in decision making about thyroid nodulesJin Young Kwak
Department of Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur Radiol 19:1923-31. 2009..8%) of 16 thyroid cancers with "benign" results on initial aspirate. This study demonstrated repeat FNAB should be performed on focal thyroid nodules with suspicious US features even when initial FNAB results are benign...
- [Retrospectively detectable carcinomas: review of the literature]B Boyer
Service d Imagerie Medicale, Hopital d Instruction des armees BEGIN, 69, avenue de Paris, 94163 Saint Mandé cedex
J Radiol 85:2071-8. 2004..Detection errors could be limited by double reading and CAD, interpretation errors by better knowledge of BIRADS classification which needs specific training...
- Effect of sequence variation in Plasmodium falciparum histidine- rich protein 2 on binding of specific monoclonal antibodies: Implications for rapid diagnostic tests for malariaNelson Lee
Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health and Nutrition, Queensland Institute of Medical Research and School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 44:2773-8. 2006..These findings support the role of sequence variation as an explanation for variations in the performance of HRP2-based RDTs and point toward possible approaches to improve their diagnostic sensitivities...
- Interpretation of fine needle aspiration cytology of the breast: a comparison of cytological, frozen section, and final histological diagnosesA M Bofin
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s and Women s Health, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Cytopathology 15:297-304. 2004..However, cases with a suspicious or equivocal FNA should be considered for frozen section analysis...
- Incidence of interval breast cancers after 650,000 negative mammographies in 13 Italian health districtsLauro Bucchi
Romagna Cancer Registry, Luigi Pierantoni Hospital, Forli, Italy
J Med Screen 15:30-5. 2008..To estimate the total proportional incidence of interval breast cancers in a two-yearly mammography screening programme, and to perform subgroup analyses by woman's age, screening centre-specific recall rate and screening round...
- Factors influencing accuracy of CT-guided percutaneous biopsies of pulmonary lesionsMichel Montaudon
Unité d imagerie thoracique et cardiovasculaire, Hopital Haut Leveque, CHU Bordeaux, Avenue de Magellan, 33604 Pessac, France
Eur Radiol 14:1234-40. 2004..Using a coaxial automated device, CT-guided percutaneous biopsy of pulmonary lesions of size equal to or less than 10 mm in diameter provides a high diagnostic yield with an acceptable complication rate...
- Stereotactic core-needle biopsy of non-mass calcifications: outcome and accuracy at long-term follow-upBoo Kyung Han
Department of Radiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 4:217-23. 2003....
- Bayesian estimation of diagnostic tests accuracy for semi-latent data with covariatesEdson Zangiacomi Martinez
Department of Social Medicine, Medical School of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Biopharm Stat 15:809-21. 2005..The conditional dependence between the diagnostic tests was considered. As an example, we applied the proposed methodology to a real data set obtained from the medical literature...
- Endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration of solid pancreatic lesions: Performance and outcomesLeon Fisher
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:90-6. 2009..We report our single-centre experience with endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) of solid pancreatic lesions with regard to clinical utility, diagnostic accuracy and safety...
- Breast cytology--is there still a role?T Levine
Cytopathology 15:293-6. 2004
- A comparison of diagnostic efficacies among different reagent strips and automated cell count in spontaneous bacterial peritonitisRungsun Rerknimitr
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:946-50. 2010..Recently, many reports on the efficacies of reagent strips and a few reports of automated cell count are available but there has been no direct comparison study...
- Diagnostic tests for influenza infectionMarie Louise Landry
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 23:91-7. 2011..The 2009 H1N1 pandemic focused attention on the speed and accuracy of influenza diagnostic methods. This review provides an update on current tests and new developments...
- Blinded review of retrospectively visible unreported breast cancers: an eye-position analysisC F Nodine
Pendergrass Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Radiology 221:122-9. 2001..To determine whether unreported retrospectively identified cancers on mammograms receive prolonged visual attention and can be reliably detected in a blinded review...
- Cognitive psychology: rare items often missed in visual searchesJeremy M Wolfe
Visual Attention Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nature 435:439-40. 2005..We show here that target rarity leads to disturbingly inaccurate performance in target detection: if observers do not find what they are looking for fairly frequently, they often fail to notice it when it does appear...
- Identification of the sentinel lymph node in patients with malignant melanoma: what are the reasons for mistakes?Sergi Vidal-Sicart
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 30:362-6. 2003..Nevertheless, it is not possible to explain completely why, in a very small percentage of cases, the sentinel node is erroneously identified...
- False-positive and false-negative cases of fine-needle aspiration cytology for palpable breast lesionsTakashi Ishikawa
Department of Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, 232 0024, Japan
Breast Cancer 14:388-92. 2007..Fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNA) is less traumatic and technically easy to apply to small breast tumors...
- Proceedings of the consensus conference on the role of sentinel lymph node biopsy in carcinoma of the breast, April 19-22, 2001, Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaGordon F Schwartz
Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Cancer 94:2542-51. 2002
- Projected cost-effectiveness of statewide universal newborn hearing screeningRon Keren
Department of Medicine, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatrics 110:855-64. 2002....
- Concordance and validation study of sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer using subareolar injection of blue dye and technetium 99m sulfur colloidKenneth A Kern
Department of Surgery, Hartford Hospital and University of Connecticut School of Medicine, USA
J Am Coll Surg 195:467-75. 2002..The purpose of this study was to document the correlation and accuracy of SLN biopsy using blue dye and radiocolloid when both nodal markers are injected by the same SA route...
- Rapid HIV testing at home: does it solve a problem or create one?Rochelle P Walensky
Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and the Center for AIDS Research, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:459-62. 2006..S. citizens with unidentified HIV infection...
- Underestimation of atypical ductal hyperplasia at sonographically guided core biopsy of the breastMijung Jang
Department of Radiology, Clinical Research Institute, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, 28, Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul, 100 744, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1347-51. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine the rate of underestimation of atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) at sonographically guided core biopsy of the breast and to identify the factors involved...
- Diagnostic utility of galectin-3 in aspirates of thyroid follicular lesionsMi Jung Kim
Department of Pathology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1, Pungnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, Republic of Korea
Acta Cytol 50:28-34. 2006....
- Molar pregnancy with false negative urine hCG: the hook effectY P Pang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 51:e58-61. 2010..Negative or inconclusive results in patients with a high suspicion of pregnancy should be further evaluated by serum quantification of beta-hCG and appropriate sample dilution...
- Intraoperative examination of sentinel nodes in breast cancer: is the glass half full or half empty?Lucio Fortunato
Departments of General amd Surgical Oncology, Ospedale MG Vannini, Via Acqua Bullicante 4, 00177 Rome, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 11:1005-10. 2004..Intraoperative identification of positive sentinel lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer may avoid a return to the operating room...
- False-negative core needle biopsies of the breast: an analysis of clinical, radiologic, and pathologic findings in 27 concecutive cases of missed breast cancerVarsha I Shah
Department of Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Cancer 97:1824-31. 2003..However, the discordance may not be recognized, resulting in a logistic delay in the diagnosis...
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: ten years experience in a community teaching hospitalHoward Her Juing Wu
Department of Pathology, Ball Memorial Hospital, Muncie, IN 47303, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:93-6. 2006..The sensitivity and specificity are 87 and 100%, respectively...
- Vacuum-assisted breast biopsy on digital stereotaxic table of nonpalpable lesions non-recognisable by ultrasonographyL Apesteguia
Department of Radiology, Hospital Virgen del Camino, C Irunlarrea, 4, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Eur Radiol 12:638-45. 2002..1%. Vacuum-assisted percutaneous biopsy is a very accurate technique for NPLs which are not detectable by US. It can replace approximately 90% of DSB with no important complications, avoiding scars and providing a higher level of comfort...
- Prozone effect of serum IgE levels in a case of plasma cell leukemiaGiampaolo Talamo
Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Hematol Oncol 3:32. 2010..It is important to recognize the presence of a prozone effect, because it can produce falsely normal results, and therefore it could lead clinicians to incorrect assessment of the response to therapy...
- Routine use of Gen-Probe Amplified Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Direct (MTD) test for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with smear-positive and smear-negative specimensP Coll
Hospital de Sant Pau, Servei de Microbiologia, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:886-91. 2003....
- Focal parenchymal lung lesions showing a potential of false-positive and false-negative interpretations on integrated PET/CTSung Shine Shim
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50, IlWon Dong, Kangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:639-48. 2006..We describe a number of benign focal lung lesions with increased 18F-FDG uptake that simulate lung cancer and malignant lesions that lead to false-negatives due to little 18F-FDG uptake on integrated PET/CT images...
- The value of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration cytology for thyroid nodules: an assessment of its diagnostic potential and pitfallsY Ogawa
First Department of Surgery, Osaka City University Medical School, Osaka, Japan
Surg Today 31:97-101. 2001..These findings indicated that repeated aspiration may be a simple and effective method of improving the diagnostic potential of FNAC...
- Complement of peritumoral and subareolar injection in breast cancer sentinel lymph node biopsyMasakuni Noguchi
Department of Breast Oncology, Kanazawa University Hospital, Kanazawa, Japan
J Surg Oncol 100:100-5. 2009..We evaluated whether a combination of peritumoral (PT) injection and subareolar (SA) injection can improve the identification rate of SLN biopsy and decrease the false-negative rate...
- Accuracy of aspiration cytology in thyroid cancer: a study in 1 institutionCarmen Serna de la Saravia
Surgery Service, Dr a Oñativia Hospital, Salta, Argentina
Acta Cytol 50:384-7. 2006..To evaluate sensitivity of fine needle aspiration cytology in diagnosing malignancy in histologically proven thyroid cancers...
- "Hook effect" in prolactinomas: case report and review of literatureTodd W Frieze
Endocrinology Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, USA
Endocr Pract 8:296-303. 2002..To present a case of the "hook effect" occurring in the prolactin immunoassay in a patient with giant prolactinoma and to review this phenomenon...
- Sonographically guided 14-gauge core needle biopsy of breast masses: a review of 2,420 cases with long-term follow-upJi Hyun Youk
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun Ku, Shinchon Dong 134, Seoul 120 752, South Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:202-7. 2008..The objective of our study was to determine the diagnostic accuracy of sonographically guided core needle biopsy for breast masses by evaluating the outcomes of benign biopsies that had at least a 2-year follow-up...
- Use of the sentinel node procedure to stage endometrial cancerMarcos Ballester
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Service de Gynecologie, Hopital Tenon, 4 rue de la Chine, 75020, AP HP, CancerEst, Université Pierre et Marie Curie ParisVI, France
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1523-9. 2008..The aims of this study were to determine the detection rate and the false-negative rate of the SN procedure, and its contribution to the staging of women with endometrial cancer...
- Underestimation of the presence of breast carcinoma in papillary lesions initially diagnosed at core-needle biopsyMalcolm K Sydnor
Department of Radiology, Medical College of Virginia, Box 980615, Richmond, VA 23298 0615, USA
Radiology 242:58-62. 2007..To retrospectively determine the degree of underestimation of breast carcinoma diagnosis in papillary lesions initially diagnosed at core-needle biopsy...
- A seronegative case of HIV-1 subtype C infection in BotswanaVladimir Novitsky
Botswana Harvard School of Public Health AIDS Initiative Partnership for HIV Research and Education, Princess Marina Hospital, Gaborone, Botswana
Clin Infect Dis 45:e68-71. 2007..The reported case indicates the importance of studying the prevalence of seronegative HIV-1 infection in southern Africa, where subtype C predominates...
- Prospective analysis of discordant results between biochemical markers and biopsy in patients with chronic hepatitis CThierry Poynard
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Clin Chem 50:1344-55. 2004....
- [Sonographically guided core needle biopsy of the breast: technique, accuracy and indications]W Buchberger
Klinische Abteilung für Radiodiagnostik I, Univ Klinik fur Radiodiagnostik, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck Osterreich
Radiologe 42:25-32. 2002....
- Characterization of lesions missed on interpretation of CT colonography using a 2D search methodThomas M Gluecker
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:881-9. 2004..We examined potential factors that may cause false-negative results on CT colonography examinations...
- The learning curve in sentinel node biopsy: the ALMANAC experienceDayalan Clarke
University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Ann Surg Oncol 11:211S-5S. 2004..This study shows that a standardized training program allows surgeons to achieve a satisfactory localization rate and an acceptable false-negative rate after 40 SNBs...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: a comparison of 5469 cytological and final histological diagnosesG Sangalli
Pathology Department, Ospedale di Busto Arsizio, Busto Arsizio, Italy
Cytopathology 17:245-50. 2006..We evaluated the efficacy of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of the thyroid in a series of 5469 lesions with histological control and studied the causes of, and the possibility of reducing the limitations of the method...
- Diabetes Screening in Canada (DIASCAN) Study: prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes and glucose intolerance in family physician officesL A Leiter
St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, 61 Queen St E, M4V 2L5 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes Care 24:1038-43. 2001..To assess the prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes and glucose intolerance in individuals > or =40 years of age who contacted their family physician for routine care...
- False-negative results at multi-detector row CT colonography: multivariate analysis of causes for missed lesionsSeong Ho Park
Departments of Radiology and Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, 138 040 Seoul, Korea
Radiology 235:495-502. 2005..To determine causes of false-negative results at multi-detector row computed tomographic (CT) colonography and determine presumptive causes with logistic regression analysis...
- Evidence-based medicine applied to sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with breast cancerJames E Barone
Department of Surgery, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Am Surg 71:66-70. 2005..Surgeons should use this information when deciding whether to perform SLNB and in their informed consent discussions...
- Screening for acute HIV infection: lessons learnedJoanne Stekler
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:459-61. 2007..We present cases to illustrate unusual instances of acute HIV screening, which include "window period" testing and the discovery of low-level HIV RNA...
- Failure to confirm HIV infection in two end-stage HIV/AIDS patients using a popular commercial line immunoassayJulian W Tang
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR
J Med Virol 80:1515-22. 2008..This report highlights the utility of having NAT available when diagnosing difficult cases of HIV infection, especially in light of the recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention move towards more universal, routine, HIV testing...
- The efficacy and cost of alternative strategies for systematic screening for type 2 diabetes in the U.S. population 45-74 years of ageSusan L Johnson
Department of Internal Medicine, Michigan Diabetes Research and Training Center, University of Michigan Health System, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, 3920 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0354, USA
Diabetes Care 28:307-11. 2005..To simulate the outcomes of alternative strategies for screening the U.S. population 45-74 years of age for type 2 diabetes...
- Comparison of full-field digital mammography with screen-film mammography for cancer detection: results of 4,945 paired examinationsJ M Lewin
Dept of Radiology, Univ of Colorado Health Sciences Ctr, CB E 030, 4200 E Ninth Ave, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Radiology 218:873-80. 2001..To prospectively compare full-field digital mammography (FFDM) with screen-film mammography (SFM) for cancer detection in a screening population...
- Role for sentinel lymph node dissection in the management of large (> or = 5 cm) invasive breast cancerM H Chung
Joyce Eisenberg Keefer Breast Center. John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 8:688-92. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: SLND is feasible and accurate in patients with large breast cancers and clinically negative axillae. Axillary lymph node dissection can be avoided in nearly one third of patients by focused examination of the SLN...
- The accuracy of ultrasound, stereotactic, and clinical core biopsies in the diagnosis of breast cancer, with an analysis of false-negative casesMary F Dillon
Department of Surgery, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Ann Surg 242:701-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to analyze the various methods of core biopsy with respect to diagnostic accuracy and to examine the management and outcome of those patients with false-negative biopsies...
- Booster effect of two-step tuberculin skin testing among hospital employees from areas with a high prevalence of tuberculosisAbdulrahman M Al Mazrou
College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:1117-20. 2004..Overall, 29 (12%) showed boosting. All age groups showed boosting; the rate was 9.7% in those younger than 35 years. Subjects older than 45 years were more likely to have a booster effect than younger individuals (29% vs 10.1%)...
- Assessing the gain in diagnostic performance when combining two diagnostic testsPetra Macaskill
Screening and Test Evaluation Program STEP, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2006
Stat Med 21:2527-46. 2002..These methods are illustrated with an example that considers the combined use of Pap and HPV testing...
- Factors affecting failed localisation and false-negative rates of sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer--results of the ALMANAC validation phaseAmit Goyal
Department of Surgery, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Breast Cancer Res Treat 99:203-8. 2006..A major aim of this prospective multicentre validation study was to quantify detection and false-negative rates of SLNB and evaluate factors influencing them...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy is accurate in breast cancer patients with a clinically negative axillary nodal status at presentationP Gimbergues
Department of Surgery, Centre Jean Perrin, Clermont Ferrand, France
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1316-21. 2008..The aim of our study was to determine clinicopathological factors that may influence the accuracy of SLN biopsy after NAC...
- Clinicopathologic factors associated with false-negative sentinel lymph-node biopsy in breast cancerRobert C G Martin
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Ann Surg 241:1005-12; discussion 1012-5. 2005..Because FN results are relatively rare, no prior studies have had sufficient sample size to allow detailed statistical analysis of factors predicting FN results...
- Sentinel node biopsy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: results from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Protocol B-27Eleftherios P Mamounas
National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:2694-702. 2005..Experience with sentinel node biopsy (SNB) after neoadjuvant chemotherapy is limited. We examined the feasibility and accuracy of this procedure within a randomized trial in patients treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy...
- Evaluation of 17 CE-marked HBsAg assays with respect to clinical sensitivity, analytical sensitivity, and hepatitis B virus mutant detectionHeiner Scheiblauer
Testing Laboratory for in vitro Diagnostic Medical Devices of the Paul Ehrlich Institut PEI IVD, Paul Ehrlich Strasse, Langen, Germany
J Med Virol 78:S66-70. 2006..In addition, detection of HBsAg mutants seems problematic with several assays. It is concluded that there is potential to improve clinical sensitivity and mutant recognition of HBsAg assays...
- Predictors of prostate cancer after initial negative systematic 12 core biopsyHerb Singh
Baylor Prostate Center, Scott Department of Urology, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Urol 171:1850-4. 2004....
- Subdermal re-injection: a method to increase surgical detection of the sentinel node in breast cancer without increasing the false-negative rateM T Bajen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Breast Unit, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge IDIBELL, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 33:338-43. 2006....
- Standardizing slide-based assays in breast cancer: hormone receptors, HER2, and sentinel lymph nodesJeffrey S Ross
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:2831-5. 2007....
- Lengths of hepatitis B viremia and antigenemia in blood donors: preliminary evidence of occult (hepatitis B surface antigen-negative) infection in the acute stageAkira Yoshikawa
Japanese Red Cross Saitama Blood Center, Hidaka shi, Saitama ken 350 1213, Japan
Transfusion 47:1162-71. 2007....
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer: improvement in results over timeCelia Chao
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Breast J 10:337-44. 2004..The improved ID rate may be related to improved technical details, while the FN rate has not changed significantly. This highlights the ongoing need for surgeons to perform backup axillary dissection during their initial learning phase...
- Axillary and extra-axillary lymph node recurrences after a tumor-negative sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer using intralesional tracer administrationIris M C van der Ploeg
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Plesmanlaan 121, 1066, CX, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Surg Oncol 15:1025-31. 2008..The objective of the present study of sentinel node-negative breast cancer patients was to determine the lymph node recurrence rates in the axilla and elsewhere, the false-negative rates, and the survival...
- Sentinel node biopsy in oral cavity cancer: correlation with PET scan and immunohistochemistryFrancisco J Civantos
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami Hospital and Clinics Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, 1475 NW 12 Avenue, Suite 4027, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Head Neck 25:1-9. 2003..Lymphoscintigraphy and sentinel node biopsy (LS/SNB) is a minimally invasive technique that samples first-echelon lymph nodes to predict the need for more extensive neck dissection...
- Age and body mass index may increase the chance of failure in sentinel lymph node biopsy for women with breast cancerCharles E Cox
FACS, Comprehensive Breast Cancer Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida in Tampa, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Suite 2190, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Breast J 8:88-91. 2002..However, increased age and/or BMI alone do not appear to be contraindications for SLN biopsy in older or overweight patients...
- Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of suspected pancreatic cancerF Gress
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Winthrop-University Hospital, 222 Station Plaza North, Suite 429, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Ann Intern Med 134:459-64. 2001..9% [CI, 0.6% to 8.4%]). CONCLUSION: Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided FNA biopsy may play a valuable role in the evaluation of a pancreatic mass when results on other biopsy methods are negative but pancreatic cancer is suspected...
- Identifying combinations of cancer markers for further study as triggers of early interventionS G Baker
Biometry Research Group, Division of Cancer Prevention, National Cancer Institute, EPN 344, 6130 Executive Blvd MSC 7354, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7354, USA
Biometrics 56:1082-7. 2000..In a separate validation sample, the ROC curve for last total PSA intersected the target region in 77% of bootstrap replications, indicating some promise for further study. We also discussed sample size calculations...
- Papillary lesions of the breast: evaluation with stereotactic directional vacuum-assisted biopsyC L Mercado
Department of Radiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 161 Fort Washington Ave, 10th Fl, New York, NY 10032, USA
Radiology 221:650-5. 2001..However, the extent of malignant papillary disease may be underestimated at SDVAB; in our study, invasive carcinoma was later discovered in 25% of patients with this diagnosis...
- False-negative HIV antibody test resultsW Preiser
Department of Virology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, Windeyer Institute of Biomedical Science, London, United Kingdom
J Med Virol 60:43-7. 2000....
- Learning curve for stereotactic breast biopsy: how many cases are enough?L Liberman
Breast Imaging Section, Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:721-7. 2001..The objective of this study was to evaluate the learning curve for stereotactic breast biopsy...
- Sentinel node staging of resectable colon cancer: results of a multicenter studyMonica Bertagnolli
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Surg 240:624-8; discussion 628-30. 2004..This study, conducted by 25 surgeons at 13 institutions, examined whether sentinel node (SN) sampling accurately predicted LN status for patients with resectable colon cancer...
- Intradermal isotope injection: a highly accurate method of lymphatic mapping in breast carcinomaS K Boolbol
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 8:20-4. 2001..Further investigation is warranted before this technique is adopted for use in larger breast cancers. Intraoperative examination and biopsy of any suspicious nonsentinel nodes are critical...
- National practice patterns of sentinel lymph node dissection for breast carcinomaA Lucci
Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Coll Surg 192:453-8. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The majority of surgeons in the United States use similar technique for SLND breast cancer. But, there was marked variation in the number of SLND cases validated by an ALND before performing SLND only...
- Unfiltered sulfur colloid and sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer: technical and kinetic considerationsF L Moffat
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Miami Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and Jackson Memorial Hospital, Florida 33136, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 6:746-55. 1999..There are few clinical data on technical limitations and radiocolloid kinetics related to sentinel lymph node (SLN) biopsy for breast cancer...
- Comparison of palpation-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy to ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodulesMustafa Cesur
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Ankara University School of Medicine, Samanpazari, Ankara, Turkey
Thyroid 16:555-61. 2006..In this prospective study, we compared palpation-guided FNAB (PGFNAB) with ultrasound-guided FNAB (UGFNAB) to establish the rates of inadequate material and cost-effectiveness...
- Comparison of fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and "conventional diagnostic procedures" for the detection of distant metastases in breast cancer patientsJörg Dose
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Nucl Med Commun 23:857-64. 2002....
- Pancreatic FNA in 1000 cases: a comparison of imaging modalitiesKeith E Volmar
Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7525, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 61:854-61. 2005..Image-guided FNA is a popular method for evaluating pancreatic lesions, but few large studies on pancreatic FNA exist...
- Negative predictive value of sonography and mammography in patients with focal breast painLusine Tumyan
Department of Radiological Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095 6952, USA
Breast J 11:333-7. 2005..Negative mammography and sonography can be reassuring to the treating clinician if follow-up is planned when physical examination is not suspicious. However, if physical examination is suspicious, biopsy should not be delayed...
- [Effectiveness of (67)Ga scintigraphy in the diagnosis of lymphoma relapse]S Alvarez Ruiz
Servicio de Medicina Nuclear, Hospital Santiago Apostol, Vitoria, Spain
Rev Esp Med Nucl 21:88-92. 2002..To establish the clinical effectiveness of 67Ga in lymphoma recurrence...
- 99mTc-EDDA/HYNIC-Tyr(3)-octreotide for staging and follow-up of patients with neuroendocrine gastro-entero-pancreatic tumorsM Gabriel
Clinical Department of Nuclear Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 49:237-44. 2005....
- Reliability and validity of needle biopsy evaluation of breast-abnormalities using the B-categorization--design and objectives of the Diagnosis Optimisation Study (DIOS)Alexander Kluttig
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Medical Epidemiology, Biometry and Informatics, University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
BMC Cancer 7:100. 2007..This paper describes the design and objectives of the DIOS Study...
- Screening for disease: making evidence-based choicesMargaret M Fields
Clin J Oncol Nurs 10:73-6. 2006..In screening for illnesses, the goal must not be merely to do something. It must be to do something useful...
- Selective use of intraoperative touch prep analysis of sentinel nodes in breast cancerRachel C Forbes
Department of Surgery and Division of Surgical Oncology and Endocrine Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 6860, USA
Am Surg 71:955-60; discussion 961-2. 2005..This improves operative efficiency and limits the impact of false positive and negative results without dramatically increasing the number of patients who require a second surgical procedure...
- The utility of EUS and EUS-guided fine needle aspiration in detecting celiac lymph node metastasis in patients with esophageal cancer: a single-center experienceM A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology/Digestive Disease Center, The Department of Thoracic Surgery, The Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 54:714-9. 2001..Depth of tumor invasion as assessed by EUS is a strong predictor of celiac lymph node metastasis in patients with esophageal cancer...
- Evidence-based target recall rates for screening mammographyMichael J Schell
Biostatistics Division, Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, Moffitt Research Center, 12902 Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL 33612 9497, USA
Radiology 243:681-9. 2007..To retrospectively identify target recall rates for screening mammography on the basis of how sensitivity shifts with recall rate...
- The implications of 18F-FDG PET for the diagnosis of endoprosthetic loosening and infection in hip and knee arthroplasty: results from a prospective, blinded studyK St Delank
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Cologne University, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Koeln, Germany
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 7:20. 2006..The aim of the current study was to evaluate the clinical value of 18F-Fluoro-deoxyglucose positron emission tomography (18F-FDG PET) as a diagnostic modality for inflammation and loosening in hip and knee joint prostheses...
- Role of sentinel lymphadenectomy combined with intraoperative ultrasound in the assessment of locally advanced breast cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapyJyh Cherng Yu
General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, No 325, Sec 2, Cheng Kung Road, Nei Hu 114, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Ann Surg Oncol 14:174-80. 2007..The aims of the study were to explore the role of SN biopsy in these patients in Taiwan and to assess the role of intraoperative ultrasound examination of the non-SN level...
- Accuracy of compression ultrasound in screening for deep venous thrombosis in acutely ill medical patientsWitold Z Tomkowski
Cardio Pulmonary Intensive Care Medicine, National Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Institute, 01 138 Warsaw, Plocka 26, Poland
Thromb Haemost 97:191-4. 2007..In conclusion, CUS underestimates the incidence of proximal and distal DVT compared to contrast venography in acutely ill medical patients without thrombosis symptoms...
- Intraoperative imprint cytology of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer: initial experience and lessons learnt in establishing a new practiceNirmala Pathmanathan
Tissue Pathology, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Pathology 38:321-7. 2006..The learning process is compared with published results from institutions with many years of experience in order to assess progress in reaching those ideal results, and the methodology used by these institutions is reviewed...
- Core imprint cytology of screen-detected breast lesions is predictive of the histologic resultsGelareh Farshid
BreastScreen SA, Wayville, South Australia, Australia
Cancer 108:150-6. 2006..If core imprint cytology (CIC) of breast cores can be shown to be reliable in a significant proportion of screen-detected lesions, this technique may be of clinical value in such clinics...
- Perception and Inter-Observer Variability in MammographyClaudia Mello Thoms; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, the changes in sampling strategy will correspond to actual possible strategies for the human observers themselves. ..
- Medical Image Perception Society Confrence XIElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Optimized Compression for Telepathology Virtual SlidesElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- UNDERSTANDING VARIABILITY IN COMMUNITY MAMMOGRAPHYJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2008..This work builds on our previous model development and is a natural extension in a timely and important clinical area. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UNDERSTANDING VARIABILITY IN COMMUNITY MAMMOGRAPHYJoann Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2002..Gaining a better understanding of how individual radiologists and their practice environment account for variation will help identify ways to improve mammography. ..
- Combinatorial Genomics in CancerSteve W Cole; Fiscal Year: 2010..The bioinformatic tools produced in these studies will create a generalized analytic infrastructure for mapping complex etiologies in cancer and deploying patient-specific targeted therapies. ..
- Distrust, Race/Ethnicity, and Predictive Genetic TestingKatrina Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Post-Attentive VisionJeremy Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2007..Taken together, the results of this program of research will test hypotheses that tie our understanding of visual search to our understanding of short and longer term visual memory. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OPTIMIZING SOFTCOPY DISPLAYS FOR DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHYElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2003..The JND metrix model will then be used to systematically explore and optimize CRT design tradeoffs for current and future digital-mammography display systems. ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX-IIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) The team of investigators is strong, and has collaborated previously in successful research in PE. ..
- BRANCHED CHAIN AMINO ACID BIOSYNTHESIS IN E COLIG Hatfield; Fiscal Year: 2004..These experiments will further provide a wealth of information for future studies concerning the operon specific and global regulation of carbon and energy metabolism genes during aerobic to anaerobic growth transitions. ..
- Cathartic-Free Dual-Energy CT ColonographyJeff Fidler; Fiscal Year: 2006..The investigators have world-class expertise and resources in CT colonography, dual energy algorithms, and CT system calibrations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transmission Dynamics of Antimocrobial-resistant bacteria in dialysis unitsERIKA D AGATA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Limiting ARB spread will ultimately reduce infections caused by ARB and improve CHD patient outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- POLYVALENT VACCINE--PHASE III TRIAL IN STAGE IV MELANOMADonald Morton; Fiscal Year: 2002..Determine whether there is any correlation between such responses and the clinical course of vaccine patients in a prospective multicenter trial. ..
- PREVALENCE EFFECT IN IMAGING SYSTEMS EVALUATIONSDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ROC Analysis of Imaging System EvaluationsDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Comparing Performance Under FROC Paradigm - A Non Parametirc ApproachDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROC Analysis of Imaging System EvaluationsDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will develop closed-form solutions for the ANOVA procedure conducted on all possible bootstrap values. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Vaccine-enhanced DLI to prevent cancer recurrence after stem cell transplantationJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assessment of right hemisphere auditory speech functionDana Boatman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Completion of this initial research project will provide the basis for future investigations. ..
- Epidemiology of Traumatic Brain InjuryJeffrey Bazarian; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Medical Advice from Glaucoma Informatics (MAGI)Michael Goldbaum; Fiscal Year: 2005..In an effort to discover new and use useful information with unsupervised learning, we will mine our data in visual function and structural tests for glaucoma and in specific combinations of population groups. ..
- Surrogate markers for Severe Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will determine if criteria that are widely and immediately available in most hospitals can be used to risk-stratify severity of PE and to clarify the role of nonmalignant thrombophilias on the prognosis of PE. ..
- Improving Colonoscopy Quality through Automated MonitoringPiet C de Groen; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- Effectiveness of the TB Contact Priority ModelWilliam Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multimodality CAD system with image references for breast mass characterizationBerkman Sahiner; Fiscal Year: 2007..Any reduction in this number without a decrease in breast cancer detection sensitivity will decrease health care costs, as well as contribute to the well-being of the patient by reducing anxiety and morbidity. ..
- The Laboratory Effect in Breast Cancer Detection StudiesDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2007..The comparison we are attempting to do is at the very core of our ability (or not) to generalize laboratory observer performance data to the general clinical environment in a valid manner. ..
- ISOLATED DIASTOLIC DYSFUNCTIONMARGARET REDFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Effects of Lycopene on High-Risk Prostatic TissuePeter Gann; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Expired CO2/O2 Analysis to Diagnose Pulmonary EmbolismJEFFREY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will fund a clinical study designed to test the diagnostic accuracy of a hand- held breath device that detects the altered gas exchange physiology caused by PE in post-surgical and other patients at high risk for PE. ..
- Health Behaviors and Family History of Colorectal CancerLisa Madlensky; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Treatment and Outcome of AIDS-related LymphomaCatherine Diamond; Fiscal Year: 2006..Lastly, we will determine how the use of HAART influences the IPI and develop a prognostic model that incorporates HIV-related factors, tumor characteristics, HAART, and chemotherapy. ..
- Preoperative chemotherapy for breast cancerLajos Pusztai; Fiscal Year: 2007..We expect that our work will lead to the development of microarray-based clinical tests to personalize chemotherapy selection for an individual with newly diagnosed breast cancer. ..
- Allogeneic BMT and adoptive antiviral immunotherapyJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, these investigations will provide an improved understanding of the defects that render allogeneic HPCT recipients susceptible to lethal infections. ..
- Conference--Medical Image PerceptionElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2003..This grant will be used to provide financial support for about 12 graduate students and residents, as well as logistic support for publicity and program printing. ..
- NOVEL DEVICES FOR RAPID BLOOD COMPATIBILITY TESTINGJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of the multi-center trial (to be completed during Phase Ill) will lead to an FDA 510(k) application. ..
- PERCEPTUAL MODEL FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAY OPTIMIZATIONDev Chakraborty; Fiscal Year: 2003..Also to be generated are iso-contour plots of the effects of common workstation variables on image quality in both tasks. This will allow digital mammography workstations to be more intelligently used. ..
- OPTIMIZING SOFTCOPY DISPLAYS FOR DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHYElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2002..The JND metrix model will then be used to systematically explore and optimize CRT design tradeoffs for current and future digital-mammography display systems. ..
- Low-cost, portable, computer assisted imaging for diabe*Michael Abramoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our overall aim is to validate and optimize a low-cost, high quality, patient friendly imaging system for the early diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy. ..
- T Wave Alternans and Repolarization AbnormalitiesDaniel Bloomfield; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- PSYCHOPHYSICAL STRUCTURE OF HUMAN VISIONJeremy Wolfe; Fiscal Year: 2003..He will expand the Guided Search model to handle additional data (e.g. eye movements in visual search and the "attentional blink"). ..
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- OBSERVER PERFORMANCE STUDIES-READER SELECTION & TRAININGDavid Gur; Fiscal Year: 2002..While they proposed to continue to investigate several aspects in this regard, the current proposal would focus on the possible effects of observer (reader) selection and training on study design and results. ..
- TRANSCRIPTION-REGULATING VECTORS FOR ANTIVIRAL VACCINESSteve Cole; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Rapid quantitation of residual WBCs in filtered bloodJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Treatment Models for Primary and Chronic HIV InfectionRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Rochelle Walensky with a firm basis for career development as an independent, patient-oriented clinical researcher at the interface of these critical areas. ..
- Autonomic nervous system control of HIV-1 replicationSteve Cole; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such interventions would enhance the efficacy of current antiretroviral treatment regimens by opposing physiologic processes that support ongoing pathogenesis. ..
- ROLE OF T PALLIDUM MSP-HOMOLOGUES IN CNS INVASIONChristina Marra; Fiscal Year: 2004..These investigations are most applicable to persons who are also infected with HIV-1, as they are at greatest risk for syphilis and neurosyphilis. ..
- PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF GLAUCOMA AMONG THE VERY ELDERLYDavid Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the interactions between comorbidities (including cognitive deficits) and visual field loss will be explored. ..
- ENDOMETRIAL CANCER AND POSTMENOPAUSAL HORMONE THERAPYNoel Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed study has the potential to obtain information that can guide their choice of hormonal regimen so as to minimize the likelihood of endometrial cancer as an adverse effect of this otherwise useful therapy. ..
- MIPS XII ConferenceElizabeth Krupinski; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transducible Molecular Probes for Imaging TumorsClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- PERCEPTUAL MODEL FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAY OPTIMIZATIONDev Chakraborty; Fiscal Year: 2002..Also to be generated are iso-contour plots of the effects of common workstation variables on image quality in both tasks. This will allow digital mammography workstations to be more intelligently used. ..
- ANTIOXIDANTS AND FEMALE HORMONES IN THE ETIOLOGY OF RAElizabeth Karlson; Fiscal Year: 2002..RA will be confirmed by a screening questionnaire regarding rheumatic symptoms and review of medical records. The study will identify potentially modifiable risk factors for primary prevention of RA. ..
- PET Imaging of the Pancreas in Murine Models of DiabetesPaige Clark; Fiscal Year: 2005..The method could also be useful in evaluating the function of pancreatic transplants and successful engraftment of transplanted progenitor or beta cells. ..
- Global Regulatory Networks in Escherichia ColiG Hatfield; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Decision Rule to Identify Children with Intra-Abdominal InjuriesJames Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- 3D Massive Training ANN for CAD for Colon Cancer in CT ColonographyKenji Suzuki; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Data Fusion Method for Bedside Monitoring of Lumped Cerebral Arterial RadiiXiao Hu; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Flow Cytometry to Detect Human Tumor Cells in Body FluidAWTAR GANJU KRISHAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..3. Compare data collected from flow cytometric analysis with that obtained from cytopathology and immunocytochemistry routinely performed on these specimens for diagnostic purpose. ..
- TARGETING BREAST CANCER WITH SMALL LIGANDSDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Use the structure-based, homologous analog and biased library approach to make educated designs to increase the affinity of the Grb7 ligands ..
- Axonal Mechanical Sensitivity in NeuritisGeoffrey Bove; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments promise to increase our knowledge of the mechanisms of chronic pain related to neuritis and nerve injury. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Data Mining Based Noninvasive Intracranial Pressure AssessmentXiao Hu; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- In Vivo Selection of Ligands for Targeted TherapyDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2003..Successful completion of this clinical study will result in demonstration of a satisfactory safety profile and short peptides that bind selectively to tumor tissue. ..
- Diet treatment of Galactosemic Infants: A Pilot StudyCan Ficicioglu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Evidence from this study may have a future impact on how newborn galactosemics are treated with a potential for moderating long-term complications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Phonetic and prosodic effects in perceptual assimilationJAMES HARNSBERGER; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Targeted Enzymes for Prodrug TherapyDavid Krag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of these experiments will result in demonstration of novel targeted effector molecules that bind selectively to tumors and activate cytotoxic prodrugs. ..
- STATISTICAL METHODS FOR COMMUNITY INTERVENTION TRIALSZiding Feng; Fiscal Year: 2003..The bias and efficiency of this method compared to competing procedures will be examined analytically and via simulation. ..
- EVALUATING USE OF GENETIC INFORMATION: A MODEL PROCESSWylie Burke; Fiscal Year: 2003..5. To conduct an evaluation of the model process within a large health care system. ..
- Infection, Inflammation and PreeclampsiaCatherine Haggerty; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, cytokine and CRP testing may prove to be effective tools for identifying women at risk for developing preeclampsia. ..
- EAMG: MIR structure and specific immunosuppressive therapyJon Lindstrom; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our long term goal is to test an optimized therapy on canine MG as a model for human studies. ..
- Mycoplasma Genitalium and Pelvic Inflammatory DiseaseCatherine Haggerty; Fiscal Year: 2007..Exploring the role of M. genitalium in PID is imperative to optimize diagnosis and treatment and prevent reproductive morbidity among women with nongonococcal/nonchlamydial PID. ..
- Alcohol Interlock and Biomarker Prediction of DUI RiskPaul Marques; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to scientific communication through usual channels, this project will create risk profile guidelines to aid motor vehicle authorities and the courts for using indicator evidence proactively. ..
- PATTERNS AND PREDICTORS IN THE ALCOHOL INTERLOCK RECORDPaul Marques; Fiscal Year: 2002..The findings will have substantial practical relevance for public policy. ..
- Diagnostic Innovations in Glaucoma: Clinical ElectrophysiologyChristopher Bowd; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings will be important to the clinical community for determining future evidence-based changes in standard of care for glaucoma diagnosis and monitoring. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..