- Forensic age estimation in human skeletal remains: current concepts and future directions
Centre for Forensic Science, The University of Western Australia, M420, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley 6009, WA, Australia
Leg Med (Tokyo) 12:1-7. 2010
..Such a review is timely as new methods are constantly being developed, concurrent with refinements to those already well established in mainstream anthropology...
- Comparison of the three age estimation methods: which is more reliable for Turkish children?
Duzce University, Faculty of Medicine, Forensic Medicine Department, Konuralp, 81620 Duzce, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 183:103.e1-7. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the applicability of these three methods related to the skeletal age assessment for Turkish adolescents...
- Is the assessment of bone age by the Greulich-Pyle method reliable at forensic age estimation for Turkish children?
Duzce University, Duzce Medical Faculty, Forensics Medicine Department, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 173:146-53. 2007
..In this study, we investigated whether or not the Greulich-Pyle (G-P) method is sufficient at forensic age estimation for Turkish children...
- Ossification degrees of cranial sutures determined with flat-panel computed tomography: narrowing the age estimate with extrema
Department of Neuroradiology, University of Giessen, Klinikstrasse 29, 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Forensic Sci 55:690-4. 2010
..The results of intra- and inter-observer tests showed good overall agreement between the findings of three observers. This method is suitable for a nondestructive age estimation and can be used for the entire calotte...
- The impact of economic progress and modernization in medicine on the ossification of hand and wrist
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hittorfstr 18, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 120:121-6. 2006
..When performing age estimations, the expert opinion should therefore pay attention to the issue of different modernization levels...
- An appraisal of Greulich-Pyle Atlas for skeletal age assessment in Pakistan
Abdul Mueed Zafar
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Pak Med Assoc 60:552-5. 2010
..To assess accurate skeletal age (SA) in clinical and medico-legal decisions using the Greulich-Pyle (GP) atlas and to see its applicability across diverse populations in Karachi...
- Applicability of Greulich and Pyle method for age assessment in forensic practice on an Italian sample
Institute of Legal Medicine, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Conca 71, 60126, Ancona, Italy
Int J Legal Med 125:411-6. 2011
..In the case of unaccompanied minors, it is important to assess age in order to establish special protective measures, and correct age estimation may prevent a person over 18 from benefiting from measures reserved for minors...
- Digital hand atlas and web-based bone age assessment: system design and implementation
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0628, USA
Comput Med Imaging Graph 24:297-307. 2000
..The digital atlas method based on open system Internet technology provides an alternative to supplement or replace the traditional one for a quantitative, accurate and cost-effective assessment of bone age...
- Criteria for age estimation in living individuals
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Röntgenstrasse 23, 48149, Munster, Germany
Int J Legal Med 122:457-60. 2008
..Instructions for the examination and the preparation of expert reports are presented. The committee of the study group organizes annual proficiency tests for quality assurance...
- Assessment of bone ages: is the Greulich-Pyle method sufficient for Turkish boys?
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Harran University, 63 100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
Pediatr Int 43:662-5. 2001
..In this study, we investigated whether or not the GP method is sufficient for Turkish children for the determination of the skeletal age...
- Estimating age by assessing the ossification degree of cranial sutures with the aid of Flat-Panel-CT
Department of Neuroradiology, University of Giessen, Klinikstrasse 29, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Leg Med (Tokyo) 11:S186-9. 2009
..An increase in the number of examined individuals in this ongoing project and a look at extreme values will further heighten the conclusiveness of the results...
- Multislice computed tomography of the first rib: a useful technique for bone age assessment
Service de Radiologie Générale, Hopital de Rangueil, 1 avenue du Professeur Jean Poulhès, TSA 50032, 31059 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
J Forensic Sci 55:865-70. 2010
..We demonstrated that MSCT of the first rib appears to be an efficient noninvasive modality for bone age estimation...
- Applicability of Greulich and Pyle skeletal age standards to Indian children
Sumit T Patil
Dept of Anatomy, Government Medical College, GMC Nagpur, Nagpur 440003, Maharashtra, India
Forensic Sci Int 216:200.e1-4. 2012
..2 to 0.8 years, up to the age of 19 years. The present study concludes that, Greulich and Pyle atlas is not applicable to the Indian children of both sexes especially in middle and late childhood...
- Studies on the time frame for ossification of the medial clavicular epiphyseal cartilage in conventional radiography
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitätsklinikum Charité der Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10015 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 118:5-8. 2004
..In practice, if overlap in posterior-anterior views impedes evaluation, a lateral view should also be taken to facilitate age estimation. In forensic practice the reference values of the present paper should be applied...
- Diploe thickness and cranial dimensions in males and females in mid-Anatolian population: an MRI study
Department of Anatomy, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 219:289.e1-7. 2012
..The objective of this study is the classification of the thickness of diploe and dimensions of cranium at different points of cranium in men and women according to age groups...
- Racial differences in growth patterns of children assessed on the basis of bone age
Image Processing and Informatics Lab, Department of Radiology, University of Southern California, 1450 San Pablo St, Suite 2100, Los Angeles, CA 90292, USA
Radiology 250:228-35. 2009
- Application of the Iscan method to two- and three-dimensional imaging of the sternal end of the right fourth rib
Service de médecine légale, and Service de Radiologie Générale, Hopital de Rangueil, Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Forensic Sci 53:288-95. 2008
..3% and 63.9%, respectively. Use of MSCT reconstructions in forensic anthropology offers many advantages: no bone preparation, no damage to bone material, and the possibility of application to living individuals...
- Studies on the time frame for ossification of the medial epiphysis of the clavicle as revealed by CT scans
Institut für Rechtsmedizin CCM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 119:142-5. 2005
..The question of how slice thickness affects the age intervals between ossification stages identified by CT examinations should be examined in additional studies...
- Preliminary radiological assessment of age-related change in the trabecular structure of the human os pubis
Department of Anthropology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C2, Canada
J Forensic Sci 56:312-9. 2011
- A comparison of three established age estimation methods on an adult Spanish sample
Unit of Anthropology, Department of Animal Biology, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Legal Med 126:145-55. 2012
..Future methods should be developed specific to various world populations and should allow for both precision and flexibility in age estimation...
- Comparison of ages of epiphyseal union in North American and Bosnian skeletal material
Maureen C Schaefer
Anatomy and Forensic Anthropology, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
J Forensic Sci 50:777-84. 2005
..Therefore, it is desirable, that wherever possible, appropriate standards should be devised for more accurate aging reflecting population specific profiles...
- Analysis of time of closure of the spheno-occipital synchondrosis using computed tomography
Richard B Bassed
Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine, Department of Forensic Medicine, Monash University, 57 83 Kavanagh St, Southbank, Melbourne 3006, Australia
Forensic Sci Int 200:161-4. 2010
..After the age of 16 years there was no significant difference in progress of fusion between males and females. The study showed that this age marker is of limited value for age estimations around the age of 18 years in this population...
- Thyroid cartilage ossification and multislice computed tomography examination: a useful tool for age assessment?
Kim Diêp Dang-Tran
Service de Radiologie Générale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Rangueil, 1 avenue du Professeur Jean Poulhès, 31403 Toulouse Cedex 4, France
J Forensic Sci 55:677-83. 2010
..Although a correlation between civil age and morphological changes was found, these methods based on thyroid cartilage ossification were not accurate enough for the assessment of individual age...
- Reliability of the methods applied to assess age minority in living subjects around 18 years old. A survey on a Moroccan origin population
P M Garamendi
Basque Legal Medicine Institute, Vizcaya Division, Forensic Clinical Department, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 154:3-12. 2005
- Why do we fail in aging the skull from the sagittal suture?
Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Ohio 44106 1767, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 103:393-9. 1997
..The wide confidence intervals (for age) appear to preclude meaningful application of suture status for age determination. No correlation was found with the tested biological stressors...
- Forensic age diagnostics of living individuals in criminal proceedings
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Charite, 10115 Berlin
Homo 54:162-9. 2003
- Sonographic evaluation of apophyseal ossification of the iliac crest in forensic age diagnostics in living individuals
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Röntgenstraße 23, D 48149, Munster, Germany
Int J Legal Med 125:271-6. 2011
..It is to be expected that sonographic examination of the iliac crest apophysis will become established as a valid and efficient method for forensic age diagnostics in living individuals...
- Correlation of age and ossification of the medial clavicular epiphysis using computed tomography
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Diagnostics Section, University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, 79095 Freiburg, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 158:184-9. 2006
..The aim of this study was the examination of relationship between the age and the ossification of medial epiphysis of the clavicle referred to CT examination...
- An artifacts removal post-processing for epiphyseal region-of-interest (EROI) localization in automated bone age assessment (BAA)
Hum Yan Chai
Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Faculty of Health Science and Biomedical Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai, 81310 Johor, Malaysia
Biomed Eng Online 10:87. 2011
..While providing better result than global thresholding method, the adaptive segmentation produces a lot of unwanted noise that could affect the latter process of epiphysis extraction...
- Premature thelarche: identification of clinical and laboratory data for the diagnosis of precocious puberty
Thais Della Manna
Unit of the Children s Institute, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo 57:49-54. 2002
..We tried to identify clinical, radiological, and hormonal parameters that could distinguish between a benign, nonprogressive premature thelarche and a true precocious puberty...
- Constitutional delay of growth and puberty: from presentation to final height
Department of Growth and Development and Pediatric Endocrinology, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 18:171-9. 2005
- Are pubertal changes in girls before age 8 benign?
L Kurt Midyett
Section of Endocrinology, Children s Mercy Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Pediatrics 111:47-51. 2003
..The hypothesis for the present study is that the new recommendations lead to underdiagnosis of endocrine pathology..
- The BoneXpert method for automated determination of skeletal maturity
Hans Henrik Thodberg
Visiana Aps, Søllerødvej 57C, DK 2840 Holte, Denmark
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 28:52-66. 2009
..The result is an SD on a single determination of 0.17 years [0.13; 0.21] 95% conf...
- [Precocious pubarche: experience in 173 cases ]
Francisca C Eyzaguirre
Instituto de Investigaciones Materno Infantil, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Chile
Rev Med Chil 137:31-8. 2009
..Precocious pubarche (PP), defined as the development of sexual pubic hair before 8 years of age in females and before 9 years in males, is usually a benign condition but it can also be the first sign of an underlying disease...
- TW3 and Fels skeletal ages in elite youth soccer players
Robert M Malina
Tarleton State University, Stephenville, Texas, USA
Ann Hum Biol 34:265-72. 2007
..Skeletal age (SA) tends to be advanced for chronological age (CA) in adolescent male soccer players...
- Height, mass and skeletal maturity of elite Portuguese soccer players aged 11-16 years
R M Malina
Institute for the Study of Youth Sports, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824 1049, USA
J Sports Sci 18:685-93. 2000
..It is also possible that late maturing boys selectively drop-out of soccer as age and sport specialization increase...
- Clinical review: An automated method for determination of bone age
Hans Henrik Thodberg
Visiana, Søllerødvej 57 C, DK 2840 Holte, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2239-44. 2009
..An automated computerized method would theoretically solve this problem but has been surprisingly difficult to establish...
- Intra- and interobserver error of the Greulich-Pyle method as used on a Danish forensic sample
Section of Forensic Pathology, Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Frederik d 5 s Vej 11, DK 2100 Ø Copenhagen, Denmark
Forensic Sci Int 179:242.e1-6. 2008
..The final age statement should also address the problems of reference populations...
- Ultrasonographic and clinical parameters for early differentiation between precocious puberty and premature thelarche
Liat de Vries
Institute for Endocrinology and Diabetes, National Center for Childhood Diabetes, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Israel
Eur J Endocrinol 154:891-8. 2006
- Disentangling the genetic determinants of human aging: biological age as an alternative to the use of survival measures
Hebrew Rehabilitation Center for Aged, Research and Training Institute, 1200 Centre Street, Boston, MA 02131, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:574-87. 2005
..The aim of this review is twofold: first, to summarize growing consensus on reliable methods of biological age assessment, and second, to demonstrate validity of this phenotype for research in the genetics of aging in humans...
- Computer-assisted bone age assessment: graphical user interface for image processing and comparison
Division of Biomedical Electronics, Institute of Electronics, Silesian University of Technology, Gliwice, Poland
J Digit Imaging 17:175-88. 2004
..The user interface may also serve as a teaching tool. At the later stage of the project it will be used as a classification tool...
- Is the Greulich and Pyle atlas still valid for Dutch Caucasian children today?
R R van Rijn
Department of Radiology, Suite D 206, University Hospital Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Radiol 31:748-52. 2001
..Several authors have raised questions with regard to the applicability of this technique in a contemporary paediatric and adolescent population...
- Automatic bone age assessment for young children from newborn to 7-year-old using carpal bones
Image Processing and Informatics Lab, Department of Radiology, University of Southern California, Marina del Rey, CA 90292, USA
Comput Med Imaging Graph 31:299-310. 2007
..It was found that the carpal ROI provides reliable information in determining the bone age for young children from newborn to 7-year-old...
- Automatic bone age assessment based on intelligent algorithms and comparison with TW3 method
Department of Pediatrics, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, China
Comput Med Imaging Graph 32:678-84. 2008
..New algorithms are proposed to improve the validity, accuracy and practicality of automatic bone age assessment (ABAA)...
- Computer-assisted bone age assessment: image preprocessing and epiphyseal/metaphyseal ROI extraction
Silesian University of Technology, Institute of Electronics, Division of Biomedical Electronics, Gilwice, Poland
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 20:715-29. 2001
..Extracted features describe the stage of skeletal development more objectively than visual comparison...
- A study of anthropomorphic and biochemical characteristics in girls with central precocious puberty and thelarche variant
Pen Hua Su
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 21:213-20. 2008
..Premature thelarche in later childhood may progress to central precocious puberty (CPP), which does not spontaneously resolve. Thelarche variant (TV) is a slowly progressive variant of precocious puberty...
- Integration of computer assisted bone age assessment with clinical PACS
Division of Biomedical Electronics, Institute of Electronics, Silesian University of Technology, ul Akademicka 16, Gliwice 44 100, Poland
Comput Med Imaging Graph 27:217-28. 2003
..The features analysis results in retrieving the closest image match from the standard database. Based on currently analyzed image data in the hand atlas, the standard deviation of the assessment bone age does not exceed 1 yr of age...
- Clinical application of automated Greulich-Pyle bone age determination in children with short stature
David D Martin
Paediatric Endocrinology Section, University Children s Hospital, Tuebingen, Germany
Pediatr Radiol 39:598-607. 2009
..Bone age (BA) rating is time consuming and highly rater dependent...
- Automatic determination of Greulich and Pyle bone age in healthy Dutch children
Rick R van Rijn
Department of Radiology, Academic Medical Center Amsterdam, Amsterdam Zuid Oost, The Netherlands
Pediatr Radiol 39:591-7. 2009
..Bone age (BA) assessment is a routine procedure in paediatric radiology, for which the Greulich and Pyle (GP) atlas is mostly used. There is rater variability, but the advent of automatic BA determination eliminates this...
- The influence of slice thickness on assessment of clavicle ossification in forensic age diagnostics
Institut für Radiologie CCM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Schumannstrasse 20 21, 10117, Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 120:15-7. 2006
..We therefore conclude that for age estimation purposes, the slice thickness should be 1 mm to ensure maximum accuracy and diagnostic reliability...
- Interrelationship between bone aging traits and basic anthropometric characteristics
Research Unit, Human Population Biology, Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, The Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Hum Biol 14:380-90. 2002
..20). Thus, the contribution of anthropometric characteristics to the rate and pattern of bone aging of the hand was to relatively small...
- Variation of skeletal biomarkers of biological aging in a Chuvashian population: a longitudinal study
Department of Physical Therapy, Stanley Steyer School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Am J Hum Biol 19:74-81. 2007
..Thereafter, the rate of OSS change again became virtually equal between sexes...
- Stature and skeletal maturation of two cohorts of Australian children and young adults over the past two decades
Dental School, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Aust Orthod J 22:47-58. 2006
..Assessment of growth and maturation in humans has implications in the diagnosis and treatment of growth disorders and in determining timing of orthopaedic interventions...
- New growth references for assessment of stature and skeletal maturation in Australians
Ni Hung Lin
Dental School, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Aust Orthod J 22:1-10. 2006
..We have provided evidence of secular increases in stature and acceleration of skeletal maturation in Australian male children and young adults in recent decades, and relatively less prominent secular increases in stature in females...
- Association between growth stunting with dental development and skeletal maturation stage
Orthodontic Graduate Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Angle Orthod 75:935-40. 2005
..903) and average (r = 0.895) maturers but lower (r = 0.751) for delayed maturers. Growth stunting was not associated with dental development and skeletal maturity stages in Peruvian school children...
- The effect of variability in maturational tempo and midparent height on variability in linear body measurements
Abteilung Wachstum und Entwicklung, Universitatskinderklinik, Steinwiesstrasse 75, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Hum Biol 32:679-82. 2005
..Information on the effect of variability in maturational tempo on variability in height attained at the same age is not readily available...
- Effect of growth hormone dose on bone maturation and puberty in children with idiopathic short stature
Brenda J Crowe
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:169-75. 2006
..GH at 0.22 mg/kg.wk has been shown to have no effect on pubertal onset or pace, whereas GH at 0.5 mg/kg x wk has been shown to advance pubertal onset and bone maturation...
- Carpals and epiphyses of radius and ulna as age indicators
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Macerata, Macerata, Italy
Int J Legal Med 120:143-6. 2006
..83). The median of the absolute values of residuals (observed age minus predicted age) was 0.08 years, with a quartile deviation of 1.59 years, and a standard error of estimate of 1.19 years...
- Growth hormone deficiency in Sturge-Weber syndrome
R S Miller
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Arch Dis Child 91:340-1. 2006
..Records of 19 patients with suspected growth hormone deficiency (GHD), identified from a registry of 1653 patients with SWS, were reviewed; nine patients with GHD were found...
- Can exaggerated response to a GH provocative test identify patients with partial GH insensitivity syndrome?
Pediatric Endocrine Unit, Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Eur J Endocrinol 146:319-23. 2002
..We attempted to identify children with partial GHI syndrome, based on their response to GH provocative stimuli and other parameters of the GH-IGF-I axis...
- Serum insulin-like factor 3 levels during puberty in healthy boys and boys with Klinefelter syndrome
Anne M Wikström
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Helsinki University Central Hospital, FI 00029 Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4705-8. 2006
..Levels of the Leydig cell-specific hormone insulin-like factor 3 (INSL3) are incompletely characterized in boys during pubertal development...
- [Anthropometric characteristics and skeletal maturity of male Venezuelan swimmers]
Unidad de Bioantropología, Actividad Física y Salud, Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela
Invest Clin 47:143-54. 2006
..Most of the swimmers are advanced in skeletal age related to chronological age. This clustering of the swimmers permits a suitable way to identify the bio-morphological characteristics of the athletes...
- Effect on adult height of pubertal growth hormone retesting and withdrawal of therapy in patients with previously diagnosed growth hormone deficiency
Department of Pediatrics, University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, 40138 Bologna, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4271-6. 2006
..Puberty is the most likely time for normalization of GH secretion...
- Discriminatory ability of the skeletal maturation index and the cervical vertebrae maturation index in detecting peak pubertal growth in Indonesian and white subjects with receiver operating characteristics analysis
Benny M Soegiharto
Faculty of Dentistry University of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:227-37. 2008
..An additional aim was to determine whether there was any significant difference in the ability of the 2 methods to predict peak pubertal growth...
- Development of the femur--implications for age and sex determination
Department of Biologia Animal, Unitat d Antropologia Biològica, Vegetal i Ecololgia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 180:1-9. 2008
..These results indicate that any of the femoral measurements is likely to serve as a useful source to estimate sub-adult age in both archaeological and forensic samples...
- Gender and the lateral angle of the internal acoustic canal meatus as measured on computerized tomography of the temporal bone
Kocaeli University School of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Umuttepe Campus, 31380 Kocaeli, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 178:93-5. 2008
..In this study, we evaluated the capability of computerized tomography of the temporal bone to reproduce these results...
- The effects of recombinant human growth hormone on linear growth in children with Crohn's disease and short stature
S C Wong
Bone and Endocrine Research Group, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, UK
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 20:1315-24. 2007
..The efficacy of recombinant human growth hormone (rhGH) in treating the growth failure associated with Crohn's disease (CD) is unclear...
- New formula to objectively evaluate skeletal maturation using lateral cephalometric radiographs
Maria de Paula Caldas
Division of Oral Diagnosis, Department of Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Piracicaba, State University of Campinas, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 21:330-5. 2007
..The C4 measurements, however, did not increase at all. Using cervical vertebral bone age it is possible to evaluate skeletal maturation objectively in cephalometric radiographs...
- A longitudinal study of normal asymmetric mandibular growth and its relationship to skeletal maturation
Division of Orthodontics, Department of Dentistry, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 132:179-84. 2007
..Our aims in this investigation were to assess asymmetric mandibular growth relative to skeletal maturation and to determine whether asymmetric growth occurs during a period of high growth velocity...
- [The influence of nutrition and social environment on the bone maturation of children]
J M Tristán Fernández
Jefe de Sección de Dietética y Nutrición del Hospital Universitario San Cecilio de Granada y Profesora Titular del Departamento de Enfermería de la Universidad de Granada, Espana
Nutr Hosp 22:417-24. 2007
..However, in this study, the outcomes must be considered just as preliminar, due to the size of the cross-section sample. Our research on the influence of nutrition should also include a further longitudinal study...
- Correlation between dental maturation and bone growth markers in paediatric patients
Department of Prophylaxis, Paediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics Faculty of Odontology Madrid Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Paediatr Dent 9:23-9. 2008
..The aim of the present study is the observation of cervical vertebrae in cephalometric radiographs to determine the bone age in a paediatric population and relate it to dental maturation...
- Age estimation in children by measurement of carpals and epiphyses of radius and ulna and open apices in teeth: a pilot study
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Macerata, Via D Minzoni 9, 62100 Macerata, Italy
Forensic Sci Int 174:60-3. 2008
..93), the median of the absolute values of residuals (observed age minus predicted age) was 0.465 years, with an inter-quartile range (IQR) equalling 0.529 years, and a standard error of estimate of 0.73 years...
- Pubis growth study: applicability in sexual and age diagnostic
Unitat d Antropologia, Departament de Biologia Animal, Vegetal i Ecologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra Barcelona, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 173:137-45. 2007
..However, pubis length is the best variable for age estimation because it can be applied until 25 years of age...
- Factors influencing skeletal maturation at diagnosis of paediatric Cushing's disease
C J Peters
Department of Paediatric, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Horm Res 68:231-5. 2007
..We assessed factors contributing to skeletal maturation in patients with paediatric CD...
- Small pituitary size in children with Fanconi anemia
Division of Endocrinology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center and University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
Pediatr Blood Cancer 49:166-70. 2007
..Fanconi anemia (FA) is a genetic disorder associated with multiple congenital anomalies, bone marrow failure, and pituitary hypofunction including hypogonadism, thyroid dysfunction, and growth hormone (GH) deficiency...
- Maturity indicators in spinal deformity
James O Sanders
Shriners Hospital for Children, 1645 West 8th Street, Erie, PA 16505, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:14-20. 2007
- Relative dental maturity and associated skeletal maturity in prehistoric native Americans of the Ohio valley area
Paul W Sciulli
Department of Anthropology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 132:545-57. 2007
..This procedure provides maturity estimates for skeletal features ordered by dental maturity stages derived from the same sample thus making explicit the relationship between dental and skeletal maturity...
- The relationships between dental age, chronological age and bone age in Turkish adolescents with constitutional delay of growth
Nuray Oksuz Kanbur
Section of Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19:979-85. 2006
..Adolescents with constitutional delay of growth had dental maturation appropriate for chronological age, but not for bone age...
- Assessing skeletal maturity by using blood spot insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) testing
Department of Orthodontics, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:209-16. 2008
..We hypothesized that IGF-I levels would also correlate with cervical skeletal maturity and would be highest at the cervical stages that correspond to the greatest amount of facial growth...
- Follow-up of children and adolescents with short stature: the importance of the growth rate
Maria Wany Louzada Strufaldi
Department of Pediatrics, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 123:128-33. 2005
..Short stature is defined as a height of more than two standard deviations below the average for a given age and sex in a reference population. The objective was to describe follow-up conducted among short-stature children and adolescents...
- Extremely short stature: influence of each parent's height on clinical-biological features
Université René Descartes and Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Fondation Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris, France
Horm Res 60:272-6. 2003
..Idiopathic extremely short stature probably has several causes...
- Follow-up height after discontinuation of growth hormone treatment in children with intrauterine growth retardation
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Turkey
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:795-800. 2002
..At the final visit, GH therapy did not seem to have had any effect on height prognosis. This finding shows that GH should be given continuously to improve final height in children with IUGR...
- Application of osteology to forensic medicine
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London NW3 2PF, United Kingdom
Clin Anat 15:297-312. 2002
..This paper reviews the principal methods used to establish identity and comments on their reliability and accuracy in the forensic context...
- Ilium growth study: applicability in sex and age diagnosis
Unitat d Antropologia, Department Biologia Animal, Biologia Vegetal i Ecologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Campus de Bellaterra, 08193 Bellaterra Cerdanyola del Valles, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 147:165-74. 2005
- Catch-up reproductive maturation in rural Tonga girls, Zambia?
Department of Anthropology University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721 0030, USA
Am J Hum Biol 16:658-69. 2004
..While the mechanism remains unclear, biocultural explanations suggest preferential feeding during adolescence as a source for rural girl's maturational catch-up...
- Growth hormone deficiency: permanence and diagnosis in young adults
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, Université René Descartes and Hôpital Necker Enfants Malades, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Horm Res 58:165-71. 2002
..To optimize the tools for diagnosing idiopathic growth hormone (GH) deficiency...
- Obese Japanese children have low bone mineral density after puberty
Division of Pediatrics, Department of Homeostatic Regulation and Development, Niigata University Graduate School of Medicine and Dental Sciences, 1 757 Asahimachi, 951 8510, Niigata, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 22:376-81. 2004
..It is important to prevent obesity in childhood in order to prevent the low BMD after puberty...
- Final height in psychosocial short stature: is there complete catch-up?
B C Gohlke
Department of Paediatrics, University of Bonn, Germany
Acta Paediatr 91:961-5. 2002
..To determine whether children with psychosocial short stature attain their genetic height potential...
- [Delayed growth due to growth hormone deficiency (study of 16 cases)]
CHU Hedi Chaker, Sfax
Tunis Med 80:317-23. 2002
..The authors put into relief the importance of diagnosis criteria of growth backwardness through a GH deficiency and suggest a therapeutic diagram, and a follow-up of the GH biosynthetic treatment...
- [Anemia and growth in Congolese adolescents with homozygous sickle cell anemia at Central University Hospital of Brazzaville]
A B Mpemba Loufoua
Service de pédiatrie grands enfants, CHU de Brazzaville, BP 32, République du Congo
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:101-3. 2003
..Their sexual maturation is delayed with very low bone age and elevated number of hospitalisation and transfusion. Their delay of maturation was very high too. The supplementation with folic acid can lead to reduction of MCV...
- Sex and age diagnosis by ischium morphometric analysis
Unitat d Antropologia, Department de Biologia Animal, Biologia Vegetal i Ecologia, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 135:188-96. 2003
..However, the ischium length is the best variable, as it can be applied to all the growth ages...
- Growth and skeletal maturation after pediatric cardiac transplantation
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Pediatr Transplant 8:126-35. 2004
..The pathogenesis of both delayed skeletal maturation and growth retardation in this population warrant further investigation...
- Familial growth and skeletal features associated with SHOX haploinsufficiency
C F J Munns
Endocrine and Diabetes Research Unit, Royal Children s Hospital Foundation Research Centre, Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 16:987-96. 2003
..Females were more severely affected than males. We conclude that SHOX is a major growth gene and that mutations are associated with a broad range of phenotype...
- Skeletal maturity in myelomeningocele
Brian T Feeley
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 23:718-21. 2003
..Identification of factors affecting skeletal maturity in patients with myelomeningocele is important in surgical planning for therapeutic operations such as osteotomies, timing of epiphysiodesis, and spinal fusion for scoliosis...
- Determinants of growth during gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog therapy for precocious puberty
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1862, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:103-7. 2004
..The findings are consistent with our hypothesis that impaired growth during GnRHa therapy is due, at least in part, to premature growth plate senescence induced by the prior estrogen exposure...
- Body composition in children with sickle cell disease
Elizabeth M Barden
Department of Public Health, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Boston, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:218-25. 2002
..Impaired growth, poor nutritional status, and delayed skeletal and sexual maturation are common in children with sickle cell disease (SCD), yet the nature of associated body-composition deficits has not been fully described...
- Favorable final height outcome in girls with Ullrich-Turner syndrome treated with low-dose growth hormone together with oxandrolone despite starting treatment after 10 years of age
University Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Hamburg, Germany
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:129-38. 2002
..Moderate doses of GH plus Ox and late induction of puberty definitely improved final height even in patients with UTS treated relatively late...
- [A case of considerable incongruence between the expected and actual height of an individual, who was identified with methods of super-projection and comparative testing of DNA]
Zakładu Medycyny Sadowej Pomorskiej, Akademii Medycznej, al Powstancow Wielkopolskich 72, 70 111 Szczecin
Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol 55:22-4. 2005
..Comparing anthropometric features of the unknown man and appointed individual we noted considerable differences in height values. Comparative research of DNA, however, confirmed the individual's identity...
- Altered skeletal maturation in moderate to severe cerebral palsy
Richard C Henderson
Department of Orthopaedics and Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Campus Box 7055, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Dev Med Child Neurol 47:229-36. 2005
..Multiple aspects of skeletal growth and development, including skeletal maturation, are frequently altered in children with moderate to severe CP...
- A randomized controlled trial of three years growth hormone and gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatment in children with idiopathic short stature and intrauterine growth retardation
G A Kamp
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Sophia Children's Hospital Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2969-75. 2001
..This resulted in a considerable gain in predicted adult height, without demonstrable side effects. Final height results will provide the definite answer on the effectiveness of this combined treatment...
- Relationships among tempo of maturation, midparent height, and growth in height of adolescent boys and girls
Institute of Anthropology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 50 951 Wrocław, ul Kuznicza 35, Poland
Am J Hum Biol 13:15-22. 2001
..The dependency between attained stature (height at take-off, PHV, and adult stature), timing, and initial intensity of the growth spurt of daughters and midparent height is greater than in sons...