Summary: Forced expiratory effort against a closed GLOTTIS.
Publications208 found, 100 shown here
- Simulation of hemodynamic responses to the valsalva maneuver: an integrative computational model of the cardiovascular system and the autonomic nervous systemFuyou Liang
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
J Physiol Sci 56:45-65. 2006The Valsalva maneuver is a frequently used physiological test in evaluating the cardiovascular autonomic functions in human...
- Incompetence of internal jugular valve in patients with primary exertional headache: a risk factor?F Doepp
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Cephalalgia 28:182-5. 2008..IJVVI was always observed on the dominant venous drainage side. Our study suggests that intracranial venous congestion caused by retrograde jugular venous flow might play a role in the pathophysiology of EH with IJVVI as a risk factor...
- Association between supine hypertension and orthostatic hypotension in autonomic failureDavid S Goldstein
the Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1620, USA
Hypertension 42:136-42. 2003..Supine and upright blood pressures, hemodynamic responses to the Valsalva maneuver, baroreflex-cardiovagal gain, and plasma norepinephrine (NE) levels were measured in pure autonomic failure (..
- Blood pressure recovery from Valsalva maneuver in patients with autonomic failureElizabeth R Vogel
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurology 65:1533-7. 2005Blood pressure (BP) changes in response to the Valsalva maneuver (VM) reflect the integrity of the baroreflex that regulates BP, and the phases of VM are widely used indices of adrenergic evaluation.
- The valsalva maneuver revisited: the influence of voluntary breathing on isometric muscle strengthElizabeth R Ikeda
Motor Control Laboratory, School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Montana, Missoula, Montana, USA
J Strength Cond Res 23:127-32. 2009..extension under all breathing conditions: normal breathing, forced inhalation, forced exhalation, and the Valsalva maneuver (VM)...
- Valsalva-induced cluster headacheBrian E McGeeney
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Headache Pain 7:416-8. 2006..Attacks occurred a couple of times a week in the patient presented, solely triggered by valsalva manoeuvres including coughing, sneezing or straining and not by exercising...
- Valsalva-induced cluster: a new subtype of cluster headacheJames Ko
Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Headache 42:301-2. 2002..The headaches deviated from classic cluster in that they were solely induced by activity involving the Valsalva maneuver, such as coughing and sneezing, and never occurred spontaneously...
- The Valsalva manoeuvre--cardiovascular effects and performance technique: a critical reviewRobert Looga
Department of Pathophysiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tartu, 19 Ravila, 51014 Tartu, Estonia
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 147:39-49. 2005..The paper discusses the possible mechanisms of different CVRs to variations in the technique of the VM. Some practical recommendations are suggested...
- Cerebral hemodynamics during the Valsalva maneuver: insights from ganglionic blockadeRong Zhang
Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Tex 75231, USA
Stroke 35:843-7. 2004The aim of this study was to differentiate the mechanical effects of the Valsalva maneuver (VM) from the effects of changes in autonomic neural activity on cerebral hemodynamics in humans.
- Cerebrovascular reactivity during the Valsalva maneuver in migraine, tension-type headache and medication overuse headacheT M Wallasch
MEDAS Ostschweiz, Interdisciplinary Medicine, St Gallen, Switzerland
Funct Neurol 26:223-7. 2011..was to investigate, by means of transcranial Doppler ultrasound (TCD), cerebrovascular reactivity during the Valsalva maneuver (VM) during the headache-free interval in patients with migraine (M), migraine plus tension-type headache (M+..
- The Valsalva maneuver: a bedside "biomarker" for heart failureG Michael Felker
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Am J Med 119:117-22. 2006..The cardiovascular response to the Valsalva maneuver had been proposed as a simple, inexpensive bedside test for estimating filling pressures in patients with ..
- Comparison of the use of the Valsalva maneuver and the eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA®) to relieve venipuncture pain: a randomized controlled trialMustafa Suren
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Medical Faculty, Gaziosmanpasa University, 60300, Tokat, Turkey
J Anesth 27:407-11. 2013..The objective of this study was to compare the analgesic efficacy of the eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA(®)) with that of the Valsalva maneuver in adult patients during i.v. cannulation.
- Autonomic dysfunction in patients with orthostatic dizziness: validation of orthostatic grading scale and comparison of Valsalva maneuver and head-up tilt testing resultsHyun Ah Kim
Department of Neurology, Keimyung University School of Medicine, Daegu, South Korea
J Neurol Sci 325:61-6. 2013..and valid measure for evaluating the severity of symptoms of orthostatic intolerance (OI) and to compare the diagnostic accuracy of Valsalva maneuver (VM) and head-up tilt test (HUTT) in identifying sympathetic adrenergic failure (SF).
- Differences in muscle activation patterns during pelvic floor muscle contraction and Valsalva maneuverJudith A Thompson
School of Physiotherapy, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia
Neurourol Urodyn 25:148-55. 2006To investigate the different muscle activation patterns around the abdomino-pelvic cavity in continent women and their effect on pressure generation during a correct pelvic floor muscle (PFM) contraction and a Valsalva maneuver.
- Impaired cerebellar and limbic responses to the valsalva maneuver in heart failureJennifer A Ogren
School of Nursing, University of California at Los Angeles, 700 Tiverton Avenue, Los Angeles, CA, 90095 1702, USA
Cerebellum 11:931-8. 2012..in cerebellar and limbic areas to characterize amplitude and timing patterns of neural responses to the Valsalva maneuver, an autonomic challenge that elicits sequential sympathetic and parasympathetic responses, in 16 HF patients ..
- Simultaneous beat-by-beat investigation of the effects of the Valsalva maneuver on left and right ventricular filling and the possible mechanismZhen Wang
Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics, Tangdu Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
PLoS ONE 8:e53917. 2013Although the influence of the Valsalva maneuver on the heart and circulatory system has been investigated, the mechanism of intrathoracic pressure influencing cardiovascular function is unclear...
- Effects of thoracic blood volume on Valsalva maneuverJulian M Stewart
Department of Pediatrics, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 287:H798-804. 2004The Valsalva maneuver (VM) is frequently used to test autonomic function. However, the VM is also affected by changes in blood volume and blood volume redistribution...
- Valsalva maneuver in chagasic patients with documented past medical history of acute chagasic myocarditisRodolfo O Odreman
Departamento de Fisiopatologia, Instituto de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Universidad de Los Andes, Merida, Venezuela
Int J Cardiol 93:163-7. 2004We studied the heart rate responses to the Valsalva maneuver in eight patients with documented past medical history of acute Chagas' disease.
- Cluster headache: orbital hemodynamic changes during Valsalva maneuverFrancisco J Barriga
Department of Neurology, Fundación Hospital Alcorcón and Rey Juan Carlos University, Madrid, Spain
Headache 46:298-305. 2006..The clinical features of cluster headache (CH) disclose some vascular changes in the symptomatic region, but few instrumental studies have assessed orbital hemodynamics in patients with this disorder...
- Neurologic complications of sit-ups associated with the Valsalva maneuver: 2 case reportsLori D Uber-Zak
Dept of Neurology, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:278-82. 2002..The Valsalva maneuver involved in the sit-up exercise can produce supraphysiologic increases in blood pressure, which can lead to ..
- Resistance exercise, the Valsalva maneuver, and cerebrovascular transmural pressureMark J Haykowsky
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:65-8. 2003To examine the acute effects of resistance exercise (RE) performed without a Valsalva maneuver (VM) versus a VM performed alone on systolic pressure, intracranial pressure (ICP), and cerebrovascular transmural pressure (CVTMP) (i.e...
- Mechanisms of cough syncope as evaluated by valsalva maneuverA Ching Chao
Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 23:55-62. 2007..The valsalva maneuver (VM), which elicits hemodynamic responses mimicking coughs, has potential for investigating the individual ..
- Reproducibility of non-standardised autonomic function testing in the pre-operative assessment screening clinic*S W M Keet
Department of Anaesthesiology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anaesthesia 66:10-4. 2011..We demonstrated that reproducibility for most autonomic tests under non-standardised conditions is acceptable and suggest that implementation of these tests during pre-operative assessment may be feasible...
- Finger photoplethysmography during the Valsalva maneuver reflects left ventricular filling pressureHarry A Silber
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 302:H2043-7. 2012..The blood pressure response to the Valsalva maneuver reflects left heart filling pressure, but its underuse clinically may be due in part to lack of continuous ..
- Headache precipitated by Valsalva maneuvers in patients with congenital Chiari I malformationHugo André de Lima Martins
Post Graduation in Neuropsychiatry and Behavior Science, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco UFPE, Recife PE, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 68:406-9. 2010..The most prevalent precipitating factors were coughing, which is well described in the literature, and sexual activity, which only now is recognized as an event associated with CM-1...
- Pathophysiology of headache associated with cough in patients with Chiari I malformationCharles A Sansur
Surgical Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1414, USA
J Neurosurg 98:453-8. 2003..In addition, the authors evaluated the use of intrathecal pressure during cough as a means of assessing obstruction to the free flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) at the craniocervical junction...
- A human cardiopulmonary system model applied to the analysis of the Valsalva maneuverK Lu
Dynamical Systems Group, Rice University, Houston Texas 77005, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H2661-79. 2001..g., by the Valsalva maneuver)...
- Effects of the Valsalva maneuver on pial artery pulsation and subarachnoid width in healthy adultsMagdalena Wszedybyl-Winklewska
Institute of Human Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical University of Gdansk, Tuwima Str 15, 80 210 Gdansk, Poland
Microvasc Res 82:369-73. 2011The objective was to characterize the effects of Valsalva maneuver (VM) on the amplitude of cerebrovascular pulsation (CVP), and to explore the direct interactions between the cerebral vasculature and the cerebrospinal fluid compartment ..
- Baroreflex sensitivity and power spectral analysis in different extrapyramidal syndromesC Friedrich
Autonomic and Neuroendocrinological Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
J Neural Transm 115:1527-36. 2008..This may have fundamental impact on the cardiovascular prognosis of patients with extrapyramidal disease...
- The effects of the simulated Valsalva maneuver, liver compression, and/or Trendelenburg position on the cross-sectional area of the internal jugular vein in infants and young childrenSusan T Verghese
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s National Medical Center and George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Anesth Analg 94:250-4, table of contents. 2002..001 and Wilcoxon's test, P < 0.002). As a single maneuver, V produced the most increase (40.4% +/- 32.2%) compared with L compression (14.3% +/- 18.9%) or T position (24.3% +/- 27.1%)...
- Cluster headache and right-to-left shunt on contrast transcranial Doppler: a case-control studyC Finocchi
Department of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology and Genetics, University of Genova, Via De Toni, 5, 16132 Genova, Italy
Neurology 63:1309-10. 2004..The diagnosis of shunt was made by means of transcranial Doppler with contrast medium. A shunt was found in 17 CH patients (42.5%) and in 7 controls (17.5%) (p = 0.029; OR = 3.48; 95% CI = 1.13 to 10.69)...
- Evaluating the efficacy of the valsalva maneuver on venous cannulation pain: a prospective, randomized studyAnil Agarwal
Department of Anesthesia, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Anesth Analg 101:1230-2, table of contents. 2005Pain associated with venous cannula is a distressing symptom. We evaluated the efficacy of the Valsalva maneuver on pain associated with venous cannulation...
- The effect of inguinal compression, Valsalva maneuver, and reverse Trendelenburg position on the cross-sectional area of the femoral vein in childrenJin Tae Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, Jongnogu, Seoul, Korea
Anesth Analg 108:1493-6. 2009..the larger cross-sectional area (CSA) of the vein is helpful and can be achieved by inguinal compression, Valsalva maneuver, or the reverse Trendelenburg position...
- Left ventricular wall stress during leg-press exercise performed with a brief Valsalva maneuverM Haykowsky
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, and Division of Cardiology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Chest 119:150-4. 2001To assess the effects of leg-press (LP) exercise performed with a brief (2 to 3 s) Valsalva maneuver on left ventricular (LV) systolic function and LV wall stress in five healthy men (mean +/- SD age, 27.6 +/- 2.9 years).
- Orthostatic hypotension in the healthy elderlyT Atli
Ankara University School of Medicine, Department of Geriatric Medicine, 06110 Cebeci, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 43:313-7. 2006..left ventricular mass, plasma insulin, age, and autonomic tests including heart rate response (HRR) to valsalva maneuver, heart rate variation (HRV) during deep breathing, HRR to standing...
- An evaluation of efficacy of balloon inflation on venous cannulation pain in children: a prospective, randomized, controlled studyDevendra Gupta
Department of Anesthesia and Biostatistics, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Anesth Analg 102:1372-5. 2006..000). Significant reduction in the incidence and severity of venipuncture pain was also observed in the balloon group compared with the other 2 groups (P < 0.05)...
- Narrowing of the anterior chamber angle during Valsalva maneuver: a possible mechanism for angle closureT Dada
Glaucoma Research Facility, Dr Rajendra Prasad Center for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:81-91. 2006To evaluate changes at the anterior chamber angle during Valsalva maneuver in eyes suspected to have a primary adult glaucoma.
- Intraocular pressure and ocular pulse amplitude variations during the Valsalva maneuverUmit Aykan
Department of Ophthalmology, GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 248:1183-6. 2010To evaluate the effect of the Valsalva maneuver (VM) on short-term variations of intraocular pressure (IOP) and ocular pulse amplitude (OPA) values in healthy, young, male subjects.
- The proper conduct of Valsalva maneuver in the detection of patent foramen ovaleTsung O Cheng
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1145-6. 2005
- Detection of right to left shunting through a patent foramen ovale in Japanese patients with ischemic stroke by transesophageal echocardiography using a standardized Valsalva maneuverMinako Yoshida
Yokohama City Brain and Stroke Center
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 30:211-6. 2005We attempted to clarify the usefulness of transesophageal echocardiography performed using a standardized Valsalva maneuver to detect the presence of a patent foramen ovale in Japanese patients with ischemic stroke...
- The Valsalva maneuver and Alzheimer's disease: is there a link?Peter Wostyn
Department of Psychiatry, PC Sint Amandus, Reigerlostraat 10, 8730 Beernem, Belgium
Curr Alzheimer Res 6:59-68. 2009..In this paper, we discuss three hypotheses about the mechanisms by which extensive use of the Valsalva maneuver might contribute to the neuropathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease: via mechanical stress-induced events in ..
- Noninvasive calibration of cardiac pressure transducers in patients with heart failure: an aid to implantable hemodynamic monitoring and therapeutic guidanceDougal McClean
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, and the Research Institute at Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Card Fail 12:568-76. 2006Implantable cardiac pressure monitors require assurance of calibration. This study evaluated if airway pressure responses during Valsalva maneuver (VM) can be used for calibrating intracardiac pressure transducers.
- Measures of cardiovascular autonomic regulation derived from spontaneous methods and the Valsalva maneuverEva Zollei
Faculty of Medicine, Cardiology Center, Medical Intensive Care Unit, University of Szeged, Korányi fasor 7, Szeged 6720, Hungary
Auton Neurosci 103:100-5. 2003..Phase IV of the Valsalva maneuver is also used to calculate cardiac vagal baroreflex gain...
- Vagal response varies with Valsalva maneuver technique: a repeated-measures clinical trial in healthy subjectsLu Fee Wong
Emergency Department, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Australia
Ann Emerg Med 43:477-82. 2004Variable success rates of the Valsalva maneuver in treatment of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia may be due to variations in performance technique...
- Brain responses associated with the Valsalva maneuver revealed by functional magnetic resonance imagingLuke A Henderson
Department of Neurobiology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Neurophysiol 88:3477-86. 2002The Valsalva maneuver, a test frequently used to evaluate autonomic function, recruits discrete neural sites. The time courses of neural recruitment relative to accompanying cardiovascular and breathing patterns are unknown...
- Valsalva-like retinopathy following hyperopic laser in situ keratomileusisAndrew A Moshfeghi
Department of Ophthalmology, North Shore University Hospital, Great Neck, New York, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 37:486-8. 2006..Valsalva-like retinopathy, possibly the result of the rapid rise and fall of intraocular pressure during the microkeratome and suction ring operation, may occur following hyperopic LASIK surgery...
- Middle cerebral artery blood velocity during intense static exercise is dominated by a Valsalva maneuverFrank Pott
The Copenhagen Muscle Research Center and Department of Anesthesia, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 94:1335-44. 2003..evaluated in response to maximal static two-legged exercise performed either with a concomitantly performed Valsalva maneuver or with continued ventilation and also during a Valsalva maneuver without associated exercise (n = 6)...
- Valsalva maneuverBradley C Hiner
Clin Med Res 3:55; author reply 55. 2005
- Valsalva manoeuvre in patients with different Parkinsonian disordersC Schmidt
Autonomic and Neuroendocrinological Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Fetscherstrasse 74, Dresden 01307, Germany
J Neural Transm 116:875-80. 2009..Metronomic breathing and tilt-table test seem more capable as parasympathetic resp. and sympathetic function tests to identify cardiovascular abnormalities in PS patients...
- Incorrect instruction in the use of the Valsalva manoeuvre for paroxysmal supra-ventricular tachycardia is commonDavid McD Taylor
Emergency Department, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 16:284-7. 2004..This study aimed to assess whether ED doctors instruct their patients to perform the recommended VM technique (supine position for 15 s)...
- A valsalvometer can be effective in standardising the Valsalva manoeuvreH P Greenland
The Warrell Unit, St Mary s Hospital, Manchester, UK
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 18:499-502. 2007..The new device has the capacity to reduce the variation in intra-abdominal pressure produced when performing the Valsalva manoeuvre. The rise in intra-abdominal pressure may act as a standard against which other measurements are made...
- The effect of Valsalva maneuver on P wave in 12-lead surface electrocardiography in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillationBulent B Altunkeser
Department of Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Angiology 53:443-9. 2002The previous studies relating to the effect of the Valsalva maneuver on P wave do not provide detailed information...
- The need to quantify right-to-left shunt in acute ischemic stroke: a case-control studyJ Serena
Section of Neurology, Hospital Universitari Doctor Josep Trueta, Girona, Spain
Stroke 29:1322-8. 1998..The aim of this study was to determine the importance of the RLSh magnitude as a risk factor for stroke in nonselected patients...
- Detection of right-to-left shunt with ultrasound contrast agent and transcranial Doppler sonographyM Jauss
Department of Neurology, University of Giessen, Germany
Cerebrovasc Dis 10:490-6. 2000..detection of microbubbles (MB) in the MCA under basal conditions, the examination will be repeated using the Valsalva maneuver (VM). Contrast agent will be injected 5 s before the start of the VM; the overall VM duration should be 10 s...
- Left ventricular end-diastolic pressure can be estimated by either changes in transmitral inflow pattern during valsalva maneuver or analysis of pulmonary venous flowH P Brunner-La Rocca
Echocardiography Laboratory, Division of Cardiology, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 13:599-607. 2000..E] to peak flow velocity of late diastole during atrial contraction [A] [E/A ratio]) at rest and during the Valsalva maneuver (30 mm Hg for 15 seconds) and indexes of pulmonary venous flow (velocity and duration of the atrial reversal)..
- Middle cerebral artery blood velocity during a valsalva maneuver in the standing positionF Pott
The Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 88:1545-50. 2000..In 10 subjects, the middle cerebral artery mean blood velocity (V(mean)) was evaluated during a Valsalva maneuver (mouth pressure 40 mmHg for 15 s) both in the supine and in the standing position...
- The 10 mL syringe is useful in generating the recommended standard of 40 mmHg intrathoracic pressure for the Valsalva manoeuvreGavin Smith
Ambulance Victoria, Doncaster, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 21:449-54. 2009..The objective of the present study was to assess if blowing into a syringe sufficient to move the plunger could produce the required 40 mmHg of pressure...
- Influence of posture on the Valsalva manoeuvreW Singer
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Sci (Lond) 100:433-40. 2001..Sympathetic activation in the upright position seems to blunt baroreflexes, leading to similar HR responses in spite of larger changes in BP...
- Baroreflex sensitivity and power spectral analysis during autonomic testing in different extrapyramidal syndromesConstanze Friedrich
Autonomic and Neuroendocrinological Laboratory, University Clinic Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Germany
Mov Disord 25:315-24. 2010....
- Noninvasive assessment of left ventricular end-diastolic pressure by the response of the transmitral a-wave velocity to a standardized Valsalva maneuverE Schwammenthal
Heart Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Am J Cardiol 86:169-74. 2000..atrial afterload, the response of the A-wave velocity to a reduction of atrial afterload by a standardized Valsalva maneuver should allow estimation of LV end-diastolic pressure (LVEDP) regardless of the baseline Doppler flow pattern...
- Arterial pressure changes during the Valsalva maneuver to predict fluid responsiveness in spontaneously breathing patientsManuel Ignacio Monge García
Servicio de Cuidados Criticos y Urgencias, Unidad de Investigación Experimental, Hospital del SAS Jerez, C Circunvalación s n, 11407, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
Intensive Care Med 35:77-84. 2009To evaluate whether arterial pressure response during a Valsalva maneuver could predict fluid responsiveness in spontaneously breathing patients.
- Assessment of cardiovascular autonomic function: age-related normal ranges and reproducibility of spectral analysis, vector analysis, and standard tests of heart rate variation and blood pressure responsesD Ziegler
Diabetes Research Institute, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabet Med 9:166-75. 1992....
- [Cardiac sympathetic dysfunction in Parkinson's disease--relationship between results of 123I-MIBG scintigraphy and autonomic nervous function evaluated by the Valsalva maneuver]Hisayoshi Oka
Aoto Hospital, Department of Neurology, Jikei University School of Medicine
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 43:465-9. 2003..Hemodynamic autonomic function was estimated by the Valsalva maneuver in 37 subjects (63.9 +/- 5.2 years) randomly selected from the patients with PD...
- Methodological parameters influence the detection of right-to-left shunts by contrast transcranial Doppler ultrasonographyJ J Schwarze
Department of Neurology, Technical University, Munich, Germany
Stroke 30:1234-9. 1999..This study was undertaken to assess the influence of methodological parameters on the results of the contrast transcranial Doppler examination in the detection of right-to-left shunts...
- Migraine, patent foramen ovale and migraine triggersJose Tembl
Neurology Service, Universitary Hospital, La Fe, Avda Campanar 21, E 46009, Valencia, Spain
J Headache Pain 8:7-12. 2007..7 [1.02-7.17] and in all migraine patients OR 2.5 [1.01-6.11]. According to our results, patients with migraine who have larger RLS tend to recognize activities that increase the extent of the shunt as a trigger of their migraine attacks...
- Tuba players reproduce a Valsalva maneuver while playing high notesJean Luc Elghozi
Inserm U872, Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Hopital Necker, Paris, France
Clin Auton Res 18:96-104. 2008..The resulting high intrathoracic pressure may reproduce a Valsalva maneuver. Ten tuba players were asked to blow medium loud long (15 seconds) notes at three different pitches (low, ..
- Evaluation of baroreflex sensitivity by the sequence method using blood pressure oscillations and R-R interval changes during deep respirationHisayoshi Oka
Department of Neurology, Aoto Hospital, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Neurol 50:230-43. 2003..The phenylephrine method, Valsalva maneuver or sequence method at rest caused several problems...
- Current activity guidelines for CABG patients are too restrictive: comparison of the forces exerted on the median sternotomy during a cough vs. lifting activities combined with valsalva maneuverR Parker
Private Consultant, Reno, Nevada, United States
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 56:190-4. 2008..As the sternotomy repair must withstand repeated coughs during convalescence, this provides a benchmark for the force tending to separate the incision that can be tolerated...
- Use of the Valsalva manoeuvre in the prehospital setting: a review of the literatureG Smith
Department of Community Emergency Health and Paramedic Practice, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Emerg Med J 26:8-10. 2009..The hospital-based use of this technique is supported by a number of published studies, but the performance and efficacy of the VM in the prehospital setting has not been examined...
- Valsalva retinopathy associated with fiberoptic gastroenteroscopySung Won Choi
Department of Opthalmology, Wonju Christian Hospital, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Wonju City, Kangwon Do, Korea
Can J Ophthalmol 41:491-3. 2006..According to the gastrointestinal specialist, the patient had performed multiple sustained Valsalva maneuvers during the procedure. Funduscopy showed a preretinal hemorrhage with a half disc diameter in the fovea of the left eye...
- Frequency and amplitude of elevation of cerebrospinal fluid resting pressure by the Valsalva maneuverLawrence Neville
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science, Portland, OR, USA
Can J Ophthalmol 40:775-7. 2005..We aimed to determine how often and how high patients with normal opening pressure could artificially elevate their CSF pressure to a pseudo-pathologic level by performing a Valsalva maneuver.
- Paradoxical effect of sibutramine on autonomic cardiovascular regulation in obese hypertensive patients--sibutramine and blood pressureAndreas L Birkenfeld
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center, Medical Faculty of the Charité and HELIOS Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Clin Auton Res 15:200-6. 2005..This notion has not been tested in overweight and obese patients...
- Baroreflex control of muscle sympathetic nerve activity in postural orthostatic tachycardia syndromeN Muenter Swift
Department of Neurology Autonomic Disorders Center, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Charlton 7 271A, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H1226-33. 2005..MSNA) responses to three baroreflex stimuli including vasoactive drug boluses (modified Oxford technique), Valsalva maneuver, and head-up tilt (HUT) in POTS patients and healthy control subjects...
- Lower body negative pressure: a test of cardiovascular autonomic functionA R Patel
Autonomic Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Muscle Nerve 24:481-7. 2001..may provide an alternative test of cardiovascular autonomic function for patients unable to perform the Valsalva maneuver (VM)...
- Successful treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome improves autonomic nervous system dysfunctionRyoji Ito
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Ehime University School of Medicine, Ehime, Japan
Clin Exp Hypertens 27:259-67. 2005..on the electrocardiogram at rest and the heart rate (HR) responses to blood pressure (BP) changes during the Valsalva maneuver were studied...
- Association of autonomic dysfunction and mild obstructive sleep apneaB Tucker Woodson
Department of Otolaryngology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:643-8. 2004..Autonomic dysfunction may also contribute to OSA. If AD contributes to OSA, we postulated that abnormalities may be present in mild OSA where the confounding causal effects of hypoxemia and sleep disruption are reduced...
- Heart rate and blood pressure responses of left-handers and right-handers to autonomic stressorsD S Jaju
Department of Physiology, MIMER Medical College, Telegaon Dabhade, Distt, Pune 410 507
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 48:31-40. 2004..Our findings suggest that the autonomic control over the cardio-vascular system may be different in LH and RH, and that this imbalance could be attributable to a variation in cerebral dominance...
- [Blood pressure and heart rate regulation in diabetics]P Valensi
, , , avenue du 14-Juillet, 93143 Bondy
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 93:51-8. 2000....
- Autonomic status in systemic sclerosis in IndiaRaj Kumar Yadav
Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 50:397-402. 2006..The present study may give some insight for better understanding of this multisystem disorder of unknown etiology...
- Adrenergic and vagal baroreflex sensitivity in autonomic failureChristine Schrezenmaier
Department of Neurology, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Neurol 64:381-6. 2007..Baroreflex sensitivity is widely used to quantify the vagal component of the reflex, but the adrenergic component is not quantifiable in the autonomic laboratory...
- [Cardiovascular autonomic testing for diagnosis of diabetic autonomic neuropathies]Yoshiatsu Takahashi
Department of Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University Daini Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 63:593-8. 2005
- Autonomic dysfunction in obstructive sleep apnea is associated with impaired glucose regulationAmanda C Peltier
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Sleep Med 8:149-55. 2007....
- Contribution of vasopressin to orthostatic blood pressure maintenance in essential hypertensionR B de Paula
Nephrology Division, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Hypertens 6:794-8. 1993..Our data show that both age and race influence the response to AVPi...
- Cardiac autonomic dysfunctions in chronic refractory epilepsyT N Sathyaprabha
Department of Neurophysiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences NIMHANS, Bangalore, India
Epilepsy Res 72:49-56. 2006..One of the explanations is autonomic dysfunction (AD). Studies of AD in chronic refractory epilepsy are very few in the literature...
- Fatigue in MS is related to sympathetic vasomotor dysfunctionP Flachenecker
Department of Neurology, Julius Maximilians Universitat, Wurzburg, Germany
Neurology 61:851-3. 2003..Treatments to control sympathetic dysfunction for MS-associated fatigue deserve further study...
- Subtle involvement of the parasympathetic nervous system in patients with irritable bowel syndromeNarender P van Orshoven
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Dept of Clinical Neurophysiology, University Medical Centre Utrecht, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Auton Res 16:33-9. 2006..In pre- and postprandial phase Valsalva maneuver, cold pressor test (CPT) and deep breathing test were carried out and Visual Analog Scale (VAS) scores for ..
- Cardiovascular autonomic function tests in cluster headacheJ A van Vliet
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Cephalalgia 26:329-31. 2006..3 (SD 12.2) vs. 74.8 (SD 9.0), P = 0.04]. Autonomic dysfunction during a cluster period, but outside an attack, does not include systemic cardiovascular control...
- Cardiorespiratory regulation in migraine. Results in children and adolescents and review of the literatureF Ebinger
Department of Child Neurology, University Paediatric Hospital, Heidelberg, Germany
Cephalalgia 26:295-309. 2006..This might be explained by disturbances of raphe nuclei and the periaqueductal grey. It corresponds to psychological findings in juvenile migraineurs reporting hypersensitivity and repressed aggression and claiming learned helplessness...
- Assessment of cardiovascular autonomic functionRoy Freeman
Anatomic and Peripheral Neerve Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 117:716-30. 2006....
- Baroreflex failure as a late sequela of neck irradiationYehonatan Sharabi
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1620, USA
Hypertension 42:110-6. 2003..In each patient, heart rate remained constant during performance of the Valsalva maneuver, suggesting baroreflex-cardiovagal failure...
- Cardiovascular dysautonomia in de novo Parkinson's diseaseHisayoshi Oka
Department of Neurology, Aoto Hospital, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurol Sci 241:59-65. 2006..Clinical symptoms of Parkinson's disease (PD) include not only motor distress, but also autonomic dysfunction...
- Performing only one cardiovascular reflex test has a high positive predictive value for diagnosing autonomic neuropathy in patients with chronic renal failure on hemodialysisMesut Sahin
Ankara Numune Hospital, Internal Medicine Clinic 4, Ankara, Turkey
Ren Fail 28:383-7. 2006..Our purpose in this study was to determine the frequency of autonomic neuropathy in patients with CRF on hemodialysis by using cardiovascular reflex tests and compare the sensitivity of each test...
- Assessment of cardiovascular autonomic functionRoy Freeman
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Suppl Clin Neurophysiol 57:369-75. 2004
- Laboratory evaluation of autonomic functionPhillip A Low
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Suppl Clin Neurophysiol 57:358-68. 2004
- Pre-operative measurement of heart rate variability predicts hypotension during general anesthesiaC J Huang
Department of Anesthesiology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:542-8. 2006....
- Wavelet analysis of autonomic outflow of normal subjects on head-up tilt, cold pressor test, Valsalva manoeuvre and deep breathingJ L Ducla-Soares
Institute of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine of Lisbon, Avenue Professor Egas Moniz, 1649 028 Lisbon, Portugal
Exp Physiol 92:677-86. 2007....
- Autonomic dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: correlation with disease-related parametersDilek I Gunal
Department of Neurology, Marmara University Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur Neurol 48:1-5. 2002..Tests included the heart rate response to deep breathing, valsalva maneuver and standing, blood pressure response to standing and sustained hand grip, and were graded according to the ..
- Spectrum of autonomic cardiovascular neuropathy in diabetesGiris Jacob
J Recanati Autonomic Dysfunction Center, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Diabetes Care 26:2174-80. 2003..Although the latter is related to overt autonomic neuropathy, the former is proposed to be explained by appropriate autonomic responses. We hypothesize, however, that both conditions are part of a spectrum of autonomic dysfunction...
- Baroreflex control of muscle sympathetic nerve activity after carotid body tumor resectionHenri J L M Timmers
Department of General Internal Medicine, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Hypertension 42:143-9. 2003..In addition, sympathetic responses to the Valsalva maneuver and cold pressor test were measured...
- Evaluation of the autonomic nervous systemSafwan S Jaradeh
Department of Neurology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Froedtert West Hospital, 9200 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 14:287-305. 2003..response to deep breathing or standing up), and adrenergic (assessed by the blood pressure response to the Valsalva maneuver or head-upright tilt)...
- The spectrum of autoimmune autonomic neuropathiesCaroline M Klein
Department of Neurology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC, USA
Ann Neurol 53:752-8. 2003....
- HYPOGLYCEMIA AND AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM FUNCTIONRoy Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, the broad long term objectives of the proposal are to fully understand the mechanisms and consequences of hypoglycemia associated autonomic failure with the ultimate goal of finding an efficacious treatment. ..
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Gender Biology, and Autonomic RegulationPAUL MICHAEL MACEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..function with heart rate measurements during three autonomic challenges, an inspiratory apnea, Valsalva maneuver, and static hand grip...
- Central and Peripheral Autonomic Responses in Irritable Bowel SyndromeKirsten Tillisch; Fiscal Year: 2010..reflexes in IBS patients will be tested via time course analysis for central and peripheral responses to the Valsalva maneuver during high resolution fMRI to assess for generalized ANS dysfunction...
- Central Autonomic Nervous System Regulation in Heart FailureMARY ANN WOO; Fiscal Year: 2013..functional responses to an ANS challenge eliciting sequential sympathetic and parasympathetic actions (Valsalva maneuver) in a set of ANS regulatory brain regions (hypothalamus, insular cortices, and cerebellum) using functional ..
- RBC MASS, ANS INTEGRITY & SYNCOPE SUSCEPTIBILITY IN CFSBarry Hurwitz; Fiscal Year: 2003..autonomic integrity will be assessed during a standardized battery of tests (supine rest, paced respiration, Valsalva maneuver, lying-to standing, and sustained handgrip); baroreceptor sensitivity and alpha- and beta-adrenoceptor ..
- Cerebral Vasoregulation In Elderly with StrokeVera Novak; Fiscal Year: 2007..Cerebral vasoreactivity to BP stimulus will be evaluated from BFV responses to Valsalva maneuver, sit-to-stand test and head-up tilt...
- Dynamical Assessment of Cerebral AutoregulationVera Novak; Fiscal Year: 2007..using the instantaneous BP-BFV phase relationships during supine resting condition, and during the Valsalva maneuver and the sit-to-stand test...
- Helmet for Functional Neuroimaging StudiesRandall Barbour; Fiscal Year: 2004..signal levels at various sites on the head associated with a global blood pressure provocation (quantitative Valsalva maneuver)...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF CARDIORESPIRATORY FUNCTIONRonald Harper; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Detecting Endothelial Dysfunction in Renal FailureJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data will form the basis of future noninvasive prognostic testing and treatment of patients at risk for ECD and can provide a means to follow treatment modalities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Circulatory Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PHYSIOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT IN SIDSRonald Harper; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since SIDS may result from hypotension or failure to enhance breathing to hypoxia, the studies may describe mechanisms of failure in the syndrome. ..
- DIABETIC AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHYPhillip Low; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Peripheral Nerve IschemiaPhillip Low; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will then define the therapeutic windows and evaluate the mechanisms of production of hypothermic and antioxidant neuroprotection (Specific aim number 2) from reperfusion injury. ..
- Linking motor imagery to motor executionSheng Li; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparison of Two Therapies for UES DysphagiaReza Shaker; Fiscal Year: 2004..anteroposterior and lateral diameter of maximum deglutitive UES opening, and b. maximum deglutitive laryngeal anterior and superior excursions. ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Memory, Thiamine Levels, and Brain Structure in Heart FailureMARY ANN WOO; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effect Of Weight-Increased Psychotropic Medications on Appetite RegulationKIMBERLY ANN BROWNLEY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Ultimately, information gained from this study may be instrumental in reducing obesity and obesity-related morbidities in patients with severe mental illness. ..
- UTERINE VASCULAR RESPONSE TO STEROID SIGNALINGIra Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Natural History of Prostatism: The Olmsted County StudyJENNIFER LYNN ST SAUVER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- VASCULAR FUNCTION BY MAGNETIC RESONANCE ANGIOGRAPHYHARRY SILBER; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammation & Prognosis in Decompensated Heart FailureGARY FELKER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Felker's development into an established independent clinical investigator with expertise in both complex clinical research methodology and the role of inflammation in the pathophysiology of heart failure. ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of myometrial healing and regenerationCatalin Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2006....