- Combined ventricular systolic and arterial stiffening in patients with heart failure and preserved ejection fraction: implications for systolic and diastolic reserve limitations
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circulation 107:714-20. 2003
..We hypothesized that such patients also display combined ventricular-systolic and arterial stiffening that can exacerbate blood pressure lability and diastolic dysfunction under stress...
- Clinical characteristics and thrombolysis in myocardial infarction frame counts in women with transient left ventricular apical ballooning syndrome
Kevin A Bybee
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:343-6. 2004
..TIMI frame counts were abnormal in all patients and often abnormal in all 3 major coronary vessels, suggesting that the diffuse impairment of coronary microcirculatory function may play a role in the pathogenesis of the syndrome...
- Impairment of left ventricular function in systemic lupus erythematosus evaluated by measuring myocardial performance index with tissue Doppler echocardiography
Division of Internal Medicine and Metabolic Disease, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Echocardiography 22:315-9. 2005
..TDE is more precise than the conventional Doppler method in evaluating MPI and single time intervals, because their measurements are accomplished in concomitance of left ventricular wall motion rather than the flow movement...
- Effect of type 2 diabetes mellitus on left ventricular geometry and systolic function in hypertensive subjects: Hypertension Genetic Epidemiology Network (HyperGEN) study
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Circulation 103:102-7. 2001
..It remains to be elucidated in a large, population-based sample whether diabetes is associated with changes in left ventricular (LV) structure and systolic function independent of obesity and systolic blood pressure (BP)...
- Dose-dependent effects of intravenous allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells in the infarcted porcine heart
Department of Cardiology, University of Heidelberg, Koesching, Germany
Stem Cells Dev 18:321-9. 2009
..Therefore, intravenously administration of MSCs is an attractive minimal-invasive approach for cardiac tissue repair...
- Mechano-growth factor reduces loss of cardiac function in acute myocardial infarction
Waikato Clinical School, Private Bag 3200, Hamilton, New Zealand
Heart Lung Circ 17:33-9. 2008
..Our objective was to determine if MGF would reduce the area of 'at-risk' myocardium and improve cardiac function in the post-infarct heart...
- New concepts in diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure: Part I: diagnosis, prognosis, and measurements of diastolic function
Michael R Zile
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, The Gazes Cardiac Research Institute and the Ralph H Johnson Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Circulation 105:1387-93. 2002
- CD36 expression contributes to age-induced cardiomyopathy in mice
Debby P Y Koonen
Cardiovascular Research Group, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Circulation 116:2139-47. 2007
..Although vascular abnormalities associated with aging contribute to the age-related decline in cardiac function, myocardium-specific events may also be involved...
- Time course of sympathetic neural hyperactivity after uncomplicated acute myocardial infarction
Lee N Graham
Department of Cardiology, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Circulation 106:793-7. 2002
..We planned to quantify central sympathetic output to the periphery after uncomplicated AMI and to investigate its progress over time...
- The impact of metabolic syndrome on left ventricular function: evaluated by using the index of myocardial performance
Department of Cardiology, Inonu University Faculty of Medicine, Malatya Turkey
Int J Cardiol 132:382-6. 2009
..To evaluate the impact of metabolic syndrome on global left ventricular function by using the index of myocardial performance...
- Cardiac output derived from arterial pressure waveform analysis in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: validity of a second generation device
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Klinikum Ludwigshafen, Bremserstr 79, 67063 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Anesth Analg 106:867-72, table of contents. 2008
..We designed the present study to assess the validity of an improved version of this monitoring technique compared with intermittent thermodilution CO measurement using a pulmonary artery catheter in patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- Does microvolt T-wave alternans testing predict ventricular tachyarrhythmias in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy and prophylactic defibrillators? The MASTER (Microvolt T Wave Alternans Testing for Risk Stratification of Post-Myocardial Infarction Pat
Lindner Clinical Trial Center at The Christ Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:1607-15. 2008
..The purpose of this trial was to determine whether microvolt T-wave alternans (MTWA) predicts ventricular tachyarrhythmic events (VTEs) in post-myocardial infarction patients with left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) < or =30%...
- A meta-analysis of studies using bias and precision statistics to compare cardiac output measurement techniques
L A Critchley
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Clin Monit Comput 15:85-91. 1999
..Bias and precision statistics have succeeded regression analysis when measurement techniques are compared. However, when applied to cardiac output measurements, inconsistencies occur in reporting the results of this form of analysis...
- Assessment of cardiac function with the pressure-volume conductance system following myocardial infarction in mice
Krystyna M Shioura
The Center for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H2870-7. 2007
- Cine-MRI versus two-dimensional echocardiography to measure in vivo left ventricular function in rat heart
Daniel J Stuckey
Cardiac Metabolism Research Group, Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
NMR Biomed 21:765-72. 2008
..The accuracy of cine-MRI allows identification of alterations in heart function that may be missed when using 2D-echo...
- Differential modulation of glucose, lactate, and pyruvate oxidation by insulin and dichloroacetate in the rat heart
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294 4470, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H163-72. 2003
..These results may have important implications for understanding the mechanisms underlying the beneficial effects of increasing cardiac carbohydrate metabolism...
- Synthesis, characterization and therapeutic efficacy of a biodegradable, thermoresponsive hydrogel designed for application in chronic infarcted myocardium
Kazuro L Fujimoto
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Biomaterials 30:4357-68. 2009
..The designed poly(NIPAAm-co-AAc-co-HEMAPTMC) hydrogel of this report may thus offer an attractive biomaterial-centered treatment option for ischemic cardiomyopathy...
- Increasing number of components of the metabolic syndrome and cardiac structural and functional abnormalities--cross-sectional study of the general population
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Porto Medical School, Porto, Portugal
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 7:17. 2007
- Exercise-induced cardioprotection--biochemical, morphological and functional evidence in whole tissue and isolated mitochondria
Department of Sports Biology, Research Center in Physical Activity, Health and Leisure, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Porto, Rua Dr Placido Costa, 91, 4200 450 Porto, Portugal
Int J Cardiol 117:16-30. 2007
..Further work should be addressed in order to clarify the precise regulatory mechanisms by which physical exercise augments heart tolerance against many cardiotoxic agents...
- Defective beta-adrenergic receptor signaling precedes the development of dilated cardiomyopathy in transgenic mice with calsequestrin overexpression
M C Cho
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Biol Chem 274:22251-6. 1999
..Taken together, these data indicate that alterations in beta-adrenergic receptor signaling precede the development of overt heart failure in this mouse model of progressive cardiomyopathy...
- Sex differences in evaluation and outcome of unstable angina
V L Roger
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
JAMA 283:646-52. 2000
- Comparison between Flotrac-Vigileo and Bioreactance, a totally noninvasive method for cardiac output monitoring
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin Hospital, 75679 Paris Cedex 14, France
Crit Care 13:R73. 2009
- Validation of a new arterial pulse contour-based cardiac output device
Eric E C de Waal
Division of Perioperative and Emergency Care, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Crit Care Med 35:1904-9. 2007
..Vigileo cardiac output (VigileoCO) was compared with intermittent transpulmonary thermodilution cardiac output (TPCO) and an established arterial pulse contour-based cardiac output (PCCO)...
- Modified TEI index: a promising parameter in essential hypertension?
Department of Cardiology, University of Maltepe Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Echocardiography 22:296-304. 2005
..We planned to determine its applicability in hypertension and relation with left ventricular mass index (LVMI)...
- Altered serum creatine kinase level and cardiac function in ischemia-reperfusion injury during percutaneous coronary intervention
Department of Cardiology, Guangzhou 1st People s Hospital Affiliated to Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Med Sci Monit 17:CR474-9. 2011
..This study explored the relationship of cardiac function examined by echocardiography and serum creatine kinase (CK) and CK-MB levels with MIRI in a cohort of Chinese AMI patients...
- Transpulmonary thermodilution-derived cardiac function index identifies cardiac dysfunction in acute heart failure and septic patients: an observational study
Intensive Care Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Triemli City Hospital, Birmensdorferstrasse 497, CH 8063 Zurich, Switzerland
Crit Care 13:R133. 2009
..Therefore, we compared the cardiac function of patients with AHF or sepsis using the pulmonary artery catheter (PAC) and the PiCCO technology...
- Cell transplantation for the treatment of acute myocardial infarction using vascular endothelial growth factor-expressing skeletal myoblasts
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Imperial College School of Medicine, Heart Science Centre, Harefield Hospital, Middlesex, UK
Circulation 104:I207-12. 2001
- Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) decreases myocardial infarct size and improves cardiac function in rat models of ischemia and ischemia/reperfusion
Bo Qing Zhu
Cardiology Section, VA Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 18:421-31. 2004
..We conclude that PQQ, which appears to act as a free radical scavenger in ischemic myocardium, is a highly effective cardioprotective agent...
- Leukemia inhibitory factor enhances survival of cardiomyocytes and induces regeneration of myocardium after myocardial infarction
Department of Cardiovascular Science and Medicine, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8670, Japan
Circulation 108:748-53. 2003
..Myocardial infarction (MI) is a leading cause of cardiac morbidity and mortality in many countries; however, the treatment of MI is still limited...
- Lack of agreement between thermodilution and fick cardiac output in critically ill patients
Vinay K Dhingra
Division of Critical Care Medicine, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Center, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Chest 122:990-7. 2002
..s: Individual comparison of cardiac output via intermittent thermodilution and Fick technique over a wide range of cardiac outputs...
- Comparative cardiac gene delivery of adeno-associated virus serotypes 1-9 reveals that AAV6 mediates the most efficient transduction in mouse heart
Center for Translational Medicine, Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Transl Sci 3:81-9. 2010
..Importantly, none of the serotypes tested with this marker gene affected cardiac function nor was associated with inflammation...
- Dysfunction of dysferlin-deficient hearts
Department of Cardiology, Franz Volhard Clinic, Helios Clinic and Campus Virchow Clinic, Charite, Berlin, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 85:1203-14. 2007
..Our data suggest that disturbances in dysferlin as well as Z-line proteins and transcription factors particularly under mechanical stress cause cardiomyopathy...
- Comparison of bedside measurement of cardiac output with the thermodilution method and the Fick method in mechanically ventilated patients
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire et Unité de Réanimation, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Crit Care 7:171-8. 2003
..Indeed, the interchangeability of the methods is a clinically relevant question; for instance, in view of the debate about the risk-benefit balance of right heart catheterization...
- Left ventricular systolic and diastolic functions in patients with sickle cell anemia
Department of Pediatrics, Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Wardha
Indian Heart J 57:694-7. 2005
..Cardiovascular involvement in this condition has not been well studied. The present study therefore sought to investigate the systolic and diastolic left ventricular function of children with sickle cell anemia...
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor therapy after myocardial infarction in relation to left ventricular function
Department of Pharmacotherapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Norway
Scand Cardiovasc J 37:130-4. 2003
- Robotic-enhanced biventricular resynchronization: an alternative to endovenous cardiac resynchronization therapy in chronic heart failure
Jean Luc Jansens
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 76:413-7; discussion 417. 2003
..Therefore we explored robotic-enhanced thoracoscopic implantation of an epicardial lead as an alternative technique to stimulate the LV in cardiac resynchronization therapy...
- Short- and long-term mechanical ventricular assistance towards myocardial recovery
John W C Entwistle
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine and Surgery, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19102, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:201-21. 2004
..Although it is unlikely that these patients will be studied in a randomized fashion, the collection of accurate and complete data may allow us to establish a database that can answer many of today's questions...
- Inferior vena cava diameter determines left ventricular geometry in continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis patients: an echocardiographic study
Department of Internal Medicine, Marmara University School of Medicine, Tophanelioglu cad No 13 15, Altunizade, 34660 Istanbul, Turkey
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:2128-33. 2003
..Geometric adaptation of LV to various stimuli was reported to have adverse prognosis. This study aimed to identify independent risk factors, which contribute to the development of LV geometric remodelling in CAPD patients...
- Measurement of ejection fraction after myocardial infarction in the population
Department of Health Sciences Research, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Chest 125:397-403. 2004
..To assess the secular trends in left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) assessment after myocardial infarction (MI) and to identify the determinants of testing...
- Are reciprocal changes a consequence of "ischemia at a distance" or merely a benign electrical phenomenon? A pulsed-wave tissue Doppler echocardiographic study
Department of Cardiology, KTU Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 8:302-7. 2003
- Passive ventricular constraint to improve left ventricular function and mechanics in an ovine model of heart failure secondary to acute myocardial infarction
James J Pilla
Department of Surgery, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1467-76. 2003
..We hypothesized that placement of the cardiac support device results in a decrease in myocardial wall stress and improvement in cardiac function and myocardial energetics...
- Chronic kidney disease in patients with chronic heart failure--impact on intracardiac conduction, diastolic function and prognosis
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Hospital of the University of Münster, Munster, Germany
Int J Cardiol 118:375-80. 2007
..This study tested the impact of CKD on intracardiac conduction, diastolic function and prognosis in patients with underlying CHF...
- Prospective evaluation of atrial tachyarrhythmias in patients with interatrial block
Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center MAVERIC, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Int J Cardiol 118:332-7. 2007
..We prospectively evaluated the incidence of such arrhythmias, especially atrial fibrillation among patients with interatrial block over the course of 1 year...
- Noninvasive assessment of cardiac mechanics and clinical outcome after partial left ventriculectomy
Randolph M Setser
Department of Radiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:1576-85; discussion 1585-6. 2003
..Little is known about its effects on myocardial mechanics and their relation to clinical outcome...
- A single intravenous dose of ivabradine, a novel I(f) inhibitor, lowers heart rate but does not depress left ventricular function in patients with left ventricular dysfunction
Department of Cardiology, Marienhof Hospital, Koblenz, Germany
Cardiology 100:149-55. 2003
..Thus, a single intravenous dose of ivabradine produced a substantial reduction in resting heart rate without affecting LV function in patients with regional or global LV dysfunction...
- Prediction of heart failure post myocardial infarction: comparison of ejection fraction, transmitral filling parameters, and the index of myocardial performance
Steven J Lavine
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Center, Shands Hospital Jacksonville, University of Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 32209, USA
Echocardiography 20:691-701. 2003
- Eight-year results after aortic valve replacement with the Freestyle stentless bioprosthesis
David S Bach
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:1657-63. 2004
..We sought to describe the hemodynamic and clinical outcomes for the Freestyle aortic root bioprosthesis (Medtronic, Inc, Minneapolis, Minn) in a large multicenter cohort prospectively followed for 8 years...
- Effects of carvedilol upon intra- and interventricular synchrony in patients with chronic heart failure
Pablo F Castro
Faculty of Medicine, P Catholic University of Chile, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Am J Cardiol 96:267-9. 2005
- Prognosis in diastolic heart failure
Kristen M Franklin
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 47:333-9. 2005
..This article reviews the current state of knowledge regarding the prognosis of patient populations with diastolic dysfunction and diastolic heart failure...
- Effects of nitrates and hydralazine in heart failure: clinical evidence before the african american heart failure trial
Heart Failure Program, Division of Cardiovascular Disease, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Cardiol 96:37i-43i. 2005
..Concomitant use of HYD with a nitrate, both in an animal model and in patients with CHF, has been shown to prevent the development of nitrate tolerance and maintain the favorable hemodynamic effect of nitrates...
- Role of echocardiography in assessing the mechanism and effect of ramipril on functional mitral regurgitation in dilated cardiomyopathy
I B Vijayalakshmi
Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Echocardiography 22:289-95. 2005
..The lateral migration of papillary muscles possibly plays a major role in functional mitral regurgitation. Ramipril significantly reduces not only sphericity but also functional mitral regurgitation...
- Tei index as a method of evaluating left ventricular diastolic dysfunction in acute myocardial infarction
Nearchos S Nearchou
1st Cardiology Department, Hellenic Red Cross Hospital Korgialeneio Benakeio, Athens, Greece
Hellenic J Cardiol 46:35-42. 2005
..The aim of this study was to examine the corresponding behaviour in relation to LV diastolic dysfunction in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI), a relationship that has not been studied previously...
- Different clinical features, biochemical profiles, echocardiographic and elctrocardiographic findings in older and younger patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy
Department of Cardiology, Huayu Hospital, China Medical University, Shaoxing, Zhejiang 312030, China
Acta Cardiol 60:27-31. 2005
..To study the clinical features, biochemical profiles, echocardiographic and electrocardiographic findings in the elderly and younger with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy (IDCM)...
- Pharmacological left ventricular reverse remodeling in elderly patients receiving optimal therapy for chronic heart failure
Department of Cardiology, Villa Bianca Hospital, Trento, Italy
Eur J Heart Fail 7:1040-8. 2005
..We performed this prospective study to evaluate whether optimized therapy for heart failure also induces LV reverse remodeling in older patients...
- Long-term results of surgical lead implantation for biventricular pacemakers in cardiomyopathy patients
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Heart Surg Forum 10:E143-6. 2007
..The data show that the surgical approach for cardiac resynchronization therapy has durable long-term results...
- Regional and global right ventricular dysfunction in asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients with congenitally corrected transposition
Igor I Tulevski
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam
Cardiol Young 14:168-73. 2004
..Our findings support the hypothesis that, in patients with congenitally corrected transposition, ischemia of the right ventricular myocardium contributes to the development of right ventricular dysfunction...
- Intramyocardial delivery of CD133+ bone marrow cells and coronary artery bypass grafting for chronic ischemic heart disease: safety and efficacy studies
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:717-25. 2007
..We then tested the hypothesis that CABG plus CD133+ cell injection would result in better contractile function than CABG alone...
- Effects of carvedilol on ventriculo-arterial coupling in patients with heart failure
Department of Cardiology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy it
Ital Heart J 5:517-22. 2004
..We studied the effect of carvedilol on the Ea/Ees ratio in patients with CHF treated with ACE-inhibitors, diuretics, and digoxin...
- Effects of altered volume loading on left ventricular hemodynamics and diastolic filling during hemodialysis
Kuo Chun Hung
Second Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Ren Fail 26:141-7. 2004
..However, previous studies offered conflicting findings. This study thus evaluated the impact of HD on LV diastolic filling indices and hemodynamics...
- Reversible myocardial dysfunction after cardiopulmonary resuscitation
Intensive Care Unit, Critical Care and Emergency Department, Hospital Universitario Médico Quirúrgico, Complejo Hospitalario de Jaen, Spain
Resuscitation 66:175-81. 2005
..The aim of the present work has been to study and describe the possible development of myocardial dysfunction in patients resuscitated after cardio-respiratory arrest, in the absence of acute or previous coronary artery disease...
- Hemodynamic and plasma atrial natriuretic peptide responses to acute digitalis therapy in patients with normal and impaired left ventricular function
Wayne L Miller
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Eur J Heart Fail 4:63-72. 2002
..Digitalis has a long history in the treatment of heart failure but its effects on cardiac hemodynamics and neurohormonal modulation are not well characterized...
- Acute effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy on functional mitral regurgitation in advanced systolic heart failure
Ole A Breithardt
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital, Aachen, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:765-70. 2003
..We studied the acute effects of cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) on functional mitral regurgitation in heart failure (HF) patients with left bundle branch block (LBBB)...
- Angiographic findings, time course of regional and global left ventricular function, and clinical outcome in diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction treated with primary percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
Division of Cardiology, S Donato Hospital, Arezzo, Italy
Am J Cardiol 91:544-9. 2003
..51, 95% CI 1.04 to 2.18, p = 0.03). Thus, diabetes is an independent predictor of clinical outcome even if PTCA is used as the primary reperfusion strategy...
- Relation of frequency and severity of mitral regurgitation to survival among patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction and heart failure
Benjamin H Trichon
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27715, USA
Am J Cardiol 91:538-43. 2003
..MR is common in patients with LV systolic dysfunction and heart failure. After adjusting for other clinical variables, the presence of MR independently predicted worsened survival...
- Pseudonormalized Doppler total ejection isovolume (Tei) index in patients with right ventricular acute myocardial infarction
First Department of Internal Medicine, Kagoshima University School of Medicine, Kagoshima City, Japan
Am J Cardiol 91:527-31. 2003
..01). The RV Tei index is generally increased in patients with RV infarction; however, severe RV infarction can be manifested with limited or no increase in the Tei index (pseudonormalization)...
- Exercise training without ventricular remodeling in patients with moderate to severe left ventricular dysfunction early after acute myocardial infarction
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, National Cardiovascular Center, Fujishirodai 5 7 1, Suita, 565 8565, Osaka, Japan
Int J Cardiol 87:237-44. 2003
- Assessment of left ventricular systolic and diastolic functions in children with merosin-positive congenital muscular dystrophy
Cardiology Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Cardiol 87:129-33; discussion 133-4. 2003
..Our results suggest that left ventricular systolic abnormalities may occur in children with merosin-positive congenital muscular dystrophy...
- Myocardial perfusion and coronary flow reserve assessed by positron emission tomography in patients after Fontan-like operations
Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Pediatric Cardiology, Lazarettstrasse 36, 80636 Munich, Germany
Pediatr Cardiol 24:386-92. 2003
..05). Altered MBF, increased meridional wall stress, and impaired CFR are common findings in FLO. Attenuated CFR and reduced ventricular function are significantly correlated and may be risk factors for the long-term outcome...
- Effect of nebivolol on left ventricular function in patients with chronic heart failure: a pilot study
Bernhard R Brehm
Medizinische Klinik III, Otfried Müllerstr 10, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Heart Fail 4:757-63. 2002
..Sympathetic activity is a significant predictor of a poor prognosis in heart failure. Beta-blockers have been shown to improve the prognosis of patients with heart failure...
- Acute haemodynamic effects of oestrogen administration in male patients with chronic heart failure
Second Department of Cardiology, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Centre, 356 Syngrou Avenue, 176 74 Athens, Greece
Eur J Heart Fail 4:719-26. 2002
..Although there are many studies concerning the effects of long-term oestrogen administration on systemic haemodynamics in postmenopausal women, the effects of oestrogen in patients with chronic heart failure are not defined...
- MADIT-II: clinical implications
Arthur J Moss
Cardiology Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York, USA
Card Electrophysiol Rev 6:463-5. 2002
..These preliminary findings raise questions about the clinical usefulness of electrophysiologic testing as a risk stratifier in patients with advanced left ventricular dysfunction...
- Defibrillation threshold and cardiac responses using an external biphasic defibrillator with pediatric and adult adhesive patches in pediatric-sized piglets
Cheryl R Killingsworth
Cardiac Rhythm Management Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1670 University Boulevard, B140 Volker Hall, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Resuscitation 55:177-85. 2002
..These data suggest that there is a substantial safety margin above a DFT strength shock for this biphasic waveform in piglets...
- In-vivo analysis of the instantaneous transvalvular pressure difference-flow relationship in aortic valve stenosis: implications of unsteady fluid-dynamics for the clinical assessment of disease severity
Department of Cardiology, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
J Heart Valve Dis 11:557-66. 2002
..This study was designed to assess the fluid-dynamics of aortic valve stenosis in order to clarify which index best accounts for disease severity. The diagnostic implications of reversed deltaP during ejection were also investigated...
- Echocardiographic evidence of cardiac involvement in ankylosing spondylitis
Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 21:129-34. 2002
..Further studies are needed to clarify the prognostic significance of diastolic abnormalities and the value of P-wave analysis in cardiac evaluation of these patients...
- Serial exercise performance in children with surgically corrected congenital aortic stenosis
B M Mitchell
Dr Scholl Cardiac Exercise Laboratory, Division of Cardiology, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 24:319-24. 2003
..6 years. Children with operated and nonoperated AS were able to reach or exceed normal endurance times, which may make it difficult to achieve compliance to imposed activity restrictions in this population...
- Effect of cardiac resynchronization therapy on left ventricular size and function in chronic heart failure
Martin G St John Sutton
Division of Cardiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, 19104, USA
Circulation 107:1985-90. 2003
..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether improvements in left ventricular (LV) size and function were associated with CRT...
- Mitral valve surgery for mitral regurgitation in patients with advanced dilated cardiomyopathy
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Villa Torri Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Ital Heart J 4:29-34. 2003
..Some authors believe that only heart transplantation is the really effective surgical treatment. We analyzed our clinical and echocardiographic results after mitral repair or replacement in this difficult subset of patients...
- Edge-to-edge repair for functional mitral regurgitation: an echocardiographic study of the hemodynamic consequences
Tim D Kinnaird
Cardiac Echo Laboratory, St Paul s Hospital, and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Heart Valve Dis 12:280-6. 2003
..The possibility that preoperative dobutamine stress echocardiography (DSE) might be used to predict post-repair recovery in LV function was also examined...
- A critical evaluation of results of partial left ventriculectomy
P P Lunkenheimer
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Thorax, Herz und Gefèasschirurgie, University Munster, Germany
J Card Surg 18:225-35. 2003
- Intracardiac left ventricular support in beating heart, multi-vessel revascularization
Clinic for Cardiac Surgery, Heart Institute Ludwigshafen, Germany
J Card Surg 18:240-4. 2003
- Clinical cellular cardiomyoplasty: technical considerations
The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, P R China
J Card Surg 18:268-73. 2003
..Our experience indicated the safety and early benefit of cellular cardiomyoplasty using autologous satellite cells...
- Echocardiographic findings in subjects with psoriatic arthropathy
Uludad University Medical Faculty, Department of Dermatology, Bursa, Turkey
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 17:414-7. 2003
..Psoriatic arthropathy (PA) is a seronegative arthropathy with a 5-20% prevalence among psoriatics. In recent years, cardiovascular abnormalities have been shown in patients with seronegative arthropathies...
- Ventricular constraint in severe heart failure halts decline in cardiovascular function associated with experimental dilated cardiomyopathy
Jai S Raman
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Heidelberg, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 76:141-7. 2003
..We report on ventricular constraint in severe heart failure...
- Evaluation of left ventricular enlargement in the lateral position of the chest using the Hoffman and Rigler sign
Cadiac Unit, Department of Medicine, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 14:134-7. 2003
..To evaluate left ventricular enlargement in the lateral projection of the chest using the Hoffman and Rigler sign...
- Adequate left ventricular preparation allows for arterial switch despite late referral
Antonio E Corno
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Cardiol Young 13:49-52. 2003
..To evaluate the feasibility of the arterial switch for surgical repair of transposition, defined as the combination of concordant atrioventricular and discordant ventriculo-arterial connections, after late referral...
- Moderate ischemic mitral regurgitation and coronary artery bypass surgery: effect of mitral repair on clinical outcome
Marisa Di Donato
San Donato Hospital, San Donato Milanese, Milan, Italy
J Heart Valve Dis 12:272-9. 2003
..The study aim was to determine whether mitral repair associated with CABG is preferable to CABG alone in patients with moderate ischemic MR, in terms of intermediate outcome...
- Effects of therapeutic beta blockade on myocardial function and cardiac remodelling in congenital cardiac disease
Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Cardiol Young 13:36-43. 2003
..Little is known about the influence of different therapies for cardiac failure on the remodelling seen in infants with congenital cardiac disease...
- Predictors of early outcome after coronary artery surgery in patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction
Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Delhi 110025, India
J Card Surg 18:101-6. 2003
..The surgical survival in patients with severe myocardial dysfunction is critically dependent on the selection of patients. The present study was undertaken to identify the prognostic factors in such patients...
- Surgical treatment of post infarction left ventricular aneurysms: our experience with double breasting and Dor's repair
Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi, India
J Card Surg 18:114-20. 2003
..Two methods of LV aneurysm repair are practiced: double breasting (DB) and Dor's repair. The method varies with location, size, and extent of aneurysm and quality of the fibrotic wall of the aneurysm...
- Long-term events in adult patients with clinical stage IA-IIA nonbulky Hodgkin's lymphoma treated with four cycles of doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine and adjuvant radiotherapy: a single-institution 15-year follow-up
Clinica Ematologica and Servizio di Radioterapia Oncologica, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:6487-93. 2006
..To report on long-term events after short doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine (ABVD) chemotherapy and adjuvant radiotherapy in favorable early-stage Hodgkin's lymphoma...
- [Role of surgical lung volume reduction in the treatment of patients with severe emphysema]
Vas Megye es Szombathely MJV Markusovszky Kórháza Egyetemi Oktatókórház Mellkassebészeti Osztály
Magy Seb 57:370-7. 2004
- Haemodynamics and gas exchange in liver cirrhosis: the effect of orally administered almitrine bismesylate
Sismanoglio General Hospital, ICU Athens, Greece
Respir Med 87:93-8. 1993
..The data suggest a weak HPV response in this group of cirrhotics; that response may be enhanced by almitrine...
- On-site preparation of technetium-99m labeled human serum albumin for clinical application
Yuh Feng Wang
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Tohoku J Exp Med 211:379-85. 2007
..These data indicate that our preparation of Tc-99m HSA is useful and potentially applicable clinically. In addition, this on-site preparation provides the possibility of labeling a patient's own serum for subsequent clinical application...
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the thymus: a case presentation and a literature review
Department of Pathology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
Pathol Res Pract 200:567-73. 2004
..We report on a case of a 53-year-old man, who presented chest discomfort, dyspnea, and weakness. As heart function tests were normal, the patient underwent radiologic examination, which showed a well-demarcated mass in the ..
- Responsiveness of the Chinese Quality of Life Instrument in patients with congestive heart failure
School of Chinese Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Occupational Therapy, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Chin J Integr Med 14:173-9. 2008
- Evaluation of type 1 diabetics for simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation with regard to cardiovascular risk
Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
Transplant Proc 38:747-50. 2006
..In case of a suspicious finding or a history of CAD, a coronary angiogram should be performed to assess the need for revascularization. Following this algorithm we may further reduce the mortality of SPK...
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy caused by hyperparathyroidism. Report of a case and review of the literature
Cardiology Division, Academic Hospital, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 42:287-93. 1987
..Cardiac function tests remained unchanged fifteen years after parathyroidectomy, suggesting that the latter intervention did not reverse the pathological process but only prevented further cardiac deterioration...
- Efficacy and safety of a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for weight loss in severely obese adolescents
Nancy F Krebs
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Pediatr 157:252-8. 2010
..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of a carbohydrate restricted versus a low fat diet on weight loss, metabolic markers, body composition, and cardiac function tests in severely obese adolescents...
- Stunning, hibernation, and assessment of myocardial viability
Paolo G Camici
Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre and National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK
Circulation 117:103-14. 2008
- Frequency and management of troponin I elevation in patients treated with molecular targeted therapies in phase I trials
Department of Cardiology, Saint Antoine University and Medical School, Paris, France
Invest New Drugs 30:611-5. 2012
..The frequency of cardiac events among patients receiving MTT has been evaluated in various ways, particularly troponin elevations...
- Non-invasive measurements of cardiac output in atrial fibrillation: inert gas rebreathing and impedance cardiography
Philip S Osbak
Department of Cardiology, Hvidovre Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 71:304-13. 2011
..Objective. To assess the validity of these methods in AF, a new inert gas rebreathing device and impedance cardiography was tested with echocardiography as reference...