Summary: An appliance used as an artificial or prosthetic replacement for missing teeth and adjacent tissues. It does not include CROWNS; DENTAL ABUTMENTS; nor TOOTH, ARTIFICIAL.
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? A study comparing two national samplesJames G Steele
Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dental Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:107-14. 2004..Age, number of teeth and cultural background are important variables influencing oral health-related quality of life...
- Effectiveness of health care worker training on the oral health of elderly residents of nursing homesRobert Nicol
Community Dental Service, Wick, Scotland, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:115-24. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of a staff training programme on mouth care on the oral health of elderly residents of long-term care institutions...
- Cytocompatible antifungal acrylic resin containing silver nanoparticles for denturesLaura Susana Acosta-Torres
National School of Higher Education, School of Dentistry Leon Unit, National Autonomus University of Mexico UNAM, Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico
Int J Nanomedicine 7:4777-86. 2012..Inhibition of Candida albicans on denture resins could play a significant role in preventing the development of denture stomatitis. The safety of a new dental material with antifungal properties was analyzed in this work...
- Influence of patient, visit, and oral health factors on dental service provisionDavid S Brennan
AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005
J Public Health Dent 62:148-57. 2002..The aim of this study was to examine factors associated with variation in dental services and to assess whether variation by patient and visit characteristics persisted after controlling for oral health status...
- Effect evaluation of a supervised versus non-supervised implementation of an oral health care guideline in nursing homes: a cluster randomised controlled clinical trialLuc De Visschere
Community Dentistry and Oral Public Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium
Gerodontology 29:e96-106. 2012..To compare a supervised versus a non-supervised implementation of an oral health care guideline in Flanders (Belgium)...
- Provision of diagnostic and preventive services in general dental practiceD S Brennan
AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Community Dent Health 20:5-10. 2003..The aims of this study were to examine the provision of examinations, radiographs, prophylaxis and topical fluoride, and to assess whether these services varied by patient, visit and oral health characteristics...
- Oral health practices and beliefs among caregivers of the dependent elderlyConstanza Garrido Urrutia
Clinica Integral del Adulto, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Chile, Independencia, Santiago, Chile
Gerodontology 29:e742-7. 2012..Therefore, studying the oral care practices as well as their oral health beliefs is important as these affect the quality of the oral care they perform...
- [Application of valplast dentures in the temporary restoration of single missing anterior tooth]Zheng Zhou
Department of Stomatology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijng 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 33:334-6. 2011To evaluate the value of valplast dentures in the temporary restoration of single missing anterior tooth.
- The impact of educational level on oral health-related quality of life in older people in LondonGeorgios Tsakos
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, UCL Medical School, London, UK
Eur J Oral Sci 117:286-92. 2009..Policies targeting lower educated groups should be complemented with whole-population strategies for the reduction of oral health inequalities...
- Investigation of the cleanliness of dentures in a university hospitalIdil Dikbas
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Prosthodont 19:294-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to determine denture cleanliness of a population sample, as well as to investigate denture cleaning habits and attitudes...
- Effect of implant-supported or retained dentures on masticatory performance: a systematic reviewKenji Fueki
Removable Partial Denture Prosthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Prosthet Dent 98:470-7. 2007..recognized as critical outcomes for prosthodontic treatment, there continues to be a need to validate for patients what changes in masticatory function can be expected with the provision of new implant-supported or retained dentures.
- Measurement of sensitivity to olfactory flavor: application in a study of aging and denturesV B Duffy
School of Allied Health, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269 2101, USA
Chem Senses 24:671-7. 1999..Those who wore complete or palatal covering dentures had lower olfactory flavor sensitivity than those who were dentate or wore dentures that did not cover the palate...
- Comparison of effects of bleach and cleansing tablet on reflectance and surface changes of a dental alloy used for removable partial denturesFiliz Keyf
Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Prosthodontics, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Biomater Appl 18:5-14. 2003Proper hygienic care of removable partial dentures is important for maintaining a healthy oral mucosa. A daily home care routine is the responsibility of the patient to maintain oral hygiene...
- Tooth loss and dentures: patients' perspectivesJudith A Jones
The Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Int Dent J 53:327-34. 2003..a substantial proportion of older adults have lost natural teeth and many wear removable partial and complete dentures. Problems associated with tooth loss and denture wearing remain important in the context of global ageing...
- Tooth loss, denture wearing and oral health-related quality of life in elderly Chinese peopleMay C M Wong
Dental Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR
Community Dent Health 22:156-61. 2005..To investigate the relationship between tooth loss, denture wearing and oral health-related quality of life (OHQoL) among community-dwelling elderly people in Hong Kong...
- Development of Candida-associated denture stomatitis: new insightsTatiana Pereira-Cenci
Department of Prosthodontics and Periodontology, Dental School of Piracicaba, University of Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Appl Oral Sci 16:86-94. 2008..Information on how these factors can be controlled is required and this may help to prevent the disease. The societal impact of such information is significant given the magnitude of the candidosis problem worldwide...
- Demographic factors, denture status and oral health-related quality of lifeMike T John
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Leipzig, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:125-32. 2004..This study investigated the association between denture status, demographic factors, and oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL)...
- Effect of tooth loss and denture status on oral health-related quality of life of older individuals from Sri LankaC Pallegedara
Dental Unit, Sri Lanka Air Force, Katunayake, Sri Lanka
Community Dent Health 25:196-200. 2008..To determine the effect of tooth loss and denture status on oral health-related quality of life of older individuals...
- The effect of leaving dentures in place on bag-mask ventilation at induction of general anesthesiaNiamh P Conlon
Department of Anesthesia, Dunedin Hospital, Dunedin, New Zealand
Anesth Analg 105:370-3. 2007..The optimum timing for denture removal in edentulous patients before anesthesia and surgery is uncertain...
- The use of radio-frequency identification tags for labeling dentures--scanning propertiesRaymond Richmond
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester M15 6FH, UK
J Forensic Sci 54:664-8. 2009....
- Feasibility of oral health-related quality of life assessment in prosthodontic patients using abbreviated Oral Health Impact Profile questionnairesK Baba
Removable Partial Denture Prosthodontics, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 35:224-8. 2008..50 and 0.57 respectively). In addition to sufficient discriminative psychometric properties, the ability to measure change of perceived oral health make OHIP-J14 and OHIP-J5 suitable for outcomes research...
- Influence of flask closure and flask cooling methods on tooth movement in maxillary denturesR L Consani
State University of Campinas, Piracicaba School of Dentistry, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Prosthodont 15:229-34. 2006This study investigated the tooth movement of standardized simulated dentures processed by traditional closure or the new Rafael Saide (RS) tension system when cooled in the curing water itself or in curing water followed by bench storage ..
- Influence of stress simulation parameters on the fracture strength of all-ceramic fixed-partial denturesM Rosentritt
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Regensburg, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Dent Mater 22:176-82. 2006This in vitro study tested the influence of diverse stress simulation parameters on the fracture strength of all-ceramic three-unit fixed partial dentures (FPDs).
- Can dentures improve the quality of life of those who have experienced considerable tooth loss?C McGrath
Periodontology and Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Dent 29:243-6. 2001..In addition, to determine whether recourse to a removable prosthesis for those who claimed that they had experienced considerable tooth loss (having <20 teeth) was associated with quality of life...
- Copper vapour laser ID labelling on metal dentures and restorationsB C Ling
Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Forensic Odontostomatol 21:17-22. 2003Denture marking is accepted as a means of identifying dentures and persons in geriatric institutions, or post-mortem during war, crimes, civil unrest, natural and mass disasters...
- Adhesion of Candida parapsilosis to epithelial and acrylic surfaces correlates with cell surface hydrophobicityG J Panagoda
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong
Mycoses 44:29-35. 2001..parapsilosis and C. albicans are equally potent in colonizing mucosal surfaces with respect to the attributes investigated...
- The Japanese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP)--validation among young and middle-aged adultsReiko Ide
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Institute of Industrial Ecological Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Japan, Kitakyushu, Japan
Community Dent Health 23:158-63. 2006..To validate the Japanese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-J) for use among young and middle-aged adults. Evaluating the criterion validity was particularly important in this study...
- Partial spectrum of microorganisms found in dentures and possible disease implicationsR T Glass
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, 1111 W 17th Street, Tulsa, OK 74107 1898, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 101:92-4. 2001..Further, the numerous opportunistic and pathogenic microorganisms found in this study were unexpected and are known to produce not only substantial oral infections, but also systemic diseases...
- An evaluation of a new measure of oral health related quality of life--OHQoL-UK(W)C McGrath
Periodontology and Dental Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, Philip Dental Hospital, University of Hong Kong, China
Community Dent Health 18:138-43. 2001..The internal reliability was high with a Cronbach alpha value of 0.94. CONCLUSION: OHQoL-UK (W) appears to be a valid and reliable measure for assessing the impact of oral health on life quality...
- [Foreign dentures and dental tourism--willingness-to-pay and factors influencing the demand for foreign dental prosthesis in Germany]J Köberlein
Institut für Empirische Gesundheitsökonomie, Burscheid
Gesundheitswesen 73:e111-8. 2011..More and more dentures are being imported into Germany from foreign countries...
- Factors associated with the oral health-related quality of life in elderly persons in dental clinic: validation of a Mandarin Chinese version of GOHAIWang A-Dan
Hospital of Stomatology, Guanghua College of Stomatology, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Gerodontology 28:184-91. 2011....
- Relationship between thigmotropism and Candida biofilm formation in vitroH Nikawa
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Hiroshima University School of Dentistry, Japan
Mycopathologia 144:125-9. 1998..05 and r = 0.793; p < 0.01, respectively). Taken together our in vitro data suggested that the hyphal induction by thigmotropic reaction is of importance in candidal biofilm formation on saliva- or serum-coated acrylic surfaces...
- Effect of dental status on changes in mastication in patients with obesity following bariatric surgeryAnne Espérance Godlewski
Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, EA 3847, Clermont Ferrand, France
PLoS ONE 6:e22324. 2011..This study aims to compare modifications of chewing function before and after BS in three groups of obese patients differing in dental status...
- Mortality rates of community-residing adults with and without denturesKakuhiro Fukai
Fukai Institute of Health Science, Saitama, Japan
Geriatr Gerontol Int 8:152-9. 2008To prospectively study how dental status with and without dentures could become a predictor of overall mortality risk.
- The oral prevalence of aerobic and facultatively anaerobic gram-negative rods and yeasts in Hong Kong ChineseC M Sedgley
Oral Biology Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, Prince Philip Dental Hospital
Arch Oral Biol 39:459-66. 1994..Subjects taking medication (n = 38) or wearing dentures (n = 38) had a significantly higher oral yeast prevalence of 36.8 (p < 0.05) and 44.7% (p < 0...
- Oral health care for the elderly: more than just denturesKavita Ahluwalia
School of Dental and Oral Surgery, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Am J Public Health 94:698. 2004
- Self-perceived oral function in elderly residents in a suburban area of Stockholm, SwedenKerstin Andersson
Department of Periodontology, Institution of Odontology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:195-201. 2004..The primary aim was to describe self-perceived oral health and function in a group of adults aged 75 to 84 years. The secondary aim was to study the agreement between self-reported oral function and clinical findings...
- The oral health assessment tool--validity and reliabilityJ M Chalmers
The University of Iowa, College of Dentistry, Iowa City 52242, USA
Aust Dent J 50:191-9. 2005..The OHAT provided institutional carers with a simple, eight category screening tool to assess residents' oral health, including those with dementia. This analysis presents OHAT reliability and validity results...
- [Oral health of institutionalized elderly in the eastern zone of São Paulo, Brazil, 1999]Rosane Maria do Valle Carneiro
Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de São PauloSão Paulo, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 21:1709-16. 2005..Some 48.1% used total upper and 22.5% total lower prostheses. Edentulism was 68.3%. The data indicate unsatisfactory clinical conditions, as shown by the high CPO-D index and high percentage of edentulism...
- Gender issues and oral health in elderly IndiansN Shah
Department of Dental Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Int Dent J 53:475-84. 2003..The study was undertaken to evaluate the oral health status and treatment needs of urban and rural elderly and to study the impact of socio-demographic variables on them...
- Tooth loss, the wearing of dentures and associated factors in Sri Lankan older individualsC Pallegedara
Dental Unit, Sri Lanka Air Force, Katunayake, Sri Lanka
Gerodontology 22:193-9. 2005To determine tooth loss, wearing of dentures and associated factors in older individuals from Sri Lanka.
- Oral health conditions in patients with Parkinson's diseaseYoshimi Nakayama
Hokkaido Iwamizawa Public Health Center, Japan
J Epidemiol 14:143-50. 2004..The aim of the present study was to investigate oral health conditions and related factors which may influence oral health conditions among patients with PD...
- [Reference values in oral health-related quality of life for the abbreviated version of the Oral Health Impact Profile]Mike T John
Poliklinik für Zahnärztliche Prothetik und Werkstoffkunde, Universitat Leipzig
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 114:784-91. 2004..Among subjects without dentures, 50% of the population had OHIP-G5 or OHIP-G14 scores 0 and OHIP-G21 scores < or = 2...
- Factors associated with oral health-related quality of life in institutionalized elderlyAlexander J Hassel
Poliklinik fur Zahnarztliche Prothetik, Heidelberg, Germany
Acta Odontol Scand 64:9-15. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate factors associated with the oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) of institutionalized elderly in Germany...
- Oral health status, C-reactive protein and mortality--a 10 year follow-up studyS Ajwani
Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Gerodontology 20:32-40. 2003..The comparative data on the importance of these inflammatory conditions in the oral cavity as causes of elevated CRP levels and CVD risk factors are also limited...
- Intra-oral findings and general health conditions among institutionalized and non-institutionalized elderly in GreeceDimitris Triantos
Stomatologist, Private Practice Limited to Oral Medicine, Athens, Greece
J Oral Pathol Med 34:577-82. 2005..The aim of the study was to record the findings from intra-oral examination and the general health conditions encountered in a group of Greek individuals 65 years of age or older...
- Developing short-form measures of oral health-related quality of lifeDavid Locker
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, 124 Edward Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1G6, Canada
J Public Health Dent 62:13-20. 2002..Using the item-impact method, we developed an alternative short-form Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) that has good psychometric properties and minimal floor effects...
- Oral health-related quality of life in GermanyMike T John
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
Eur J Oral Sci 111:483-91. 2003..Frequent problems were rare (</= 6% for all items). Among subjects without dentures, 50% of the population had >/= 5 OHIP-G score points and 10% had >/= 38 points...
- Geographic differences in tooth loss and denture-wearing among the elderly in NorwayBirgitte Moesgaard Henriksen
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Ullevaal University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:403-11. 2003The purpose of this study was to estimate the prevalence of teeth and dentures in individuals aged 67 years and above.
- [State of oral health of adults and the elderly in Hungary]Judit Szoke
Semmelweis Egyetem, Fogorvostudományi Kar, Budapest
Fogorv Sz 97:219-29. 2004..Greater emphasis on risk- and preventive orientated praxis and management is needed; increased individual activities and financial support are also required...
- Why are we "weighting"? An assessment of a self-weighting approach to measuring oral health-related quality of lifeColman McGrath
Periodontology and Dental Public Health, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:19-24. 2004..To determine whether or not self-weighting at an item level contributes to the performance of an oral health-related quality-of-life measure...
- The relationship between clinical dental status and oral impacts in an elderly populationGeorgios Tsakos
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Oral Health Prev Dent 2:211-20. 2004..To investigate the relationship between oral health-related quality of life and clinical dental measures in an elderly Greek population...
- Medical and cognitive correlates of denture wearing in older community-dwelling adultsRobert J Weyant
Department of Dental Public Health, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvannia 15261, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:596-600. 2004..To examine the association between denture wearing and use of dental services, oral function limitations, and medical and cognitive status in a community-based cohort of rural older adults enrolled in an epidemiological study...
- Dental status and quality of life in long-term head and neck cancer survivorsRebecca L Duke
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226 3522, USA
Laryngoscope 115:678-83. 2005..To analyze how the dental status of long-term head and neck cancer survivors affects their subjective quality of life...
- Oral and nutritional status in frail elderlyHelena Soini
Herttoniemi Health Center, Helsinki, Finland
Spec Care Dentist 23:209-15. 2003..012). Subjects assessed their dentures to be more functional than did the dentist (Kappa 0.338). No one was considered malnourished...
- Demographic and socio-economic factors associated with dental health among older people in NSWClare Ringland
Centre for Epidemiology and Research, Department of Health, New South Wales
Aust N Z J Public Health 28:53-61. 2004..To investigate the association between oral health status and social, economic and demographic factors in community-dwelling older people in New South Wales (NSW)...
- Evaluation of an oral health scoring system by dentists in general dental practiceF J T Burke
Primary Dental Care, University of Birmingham School of Dentistry, St Chad s Queensway, Birmingham B4 6NN
Br Dent J 194:215-8; discussion 205. 2003..An Oral Health Index (OHX) has been designed to provide a numerical measure of the overall state of a patient's oral health by means of a series of simple clinical examinations. This has been amended to produce the Oral Health Score (OHS)...
- Oral health of individuals aged 3-80 years in Jönköping, Sweden during 30 years (1973-2003). II. Review of clinical and radiographic findingsAnders Hugoson
Department of Natural Science and Biomedicine, School of Health Sciences, Jonkoping University, Jonkoping, Sweden
Swed Dent J 29:139-55. 2005..The clinical and radiographic examination assessed edentulousness, removable dentures, implants, number of teeth, caries, restorations and overhangs, oral hygiene, calculus, periodontal status, ..
- Dental services and perceived oral health: are patients better off going private?Colman McGrath
Periodontology and Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, Prince Philip Dental Hospital, University of Hong Kong, Hospital Road, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Dent 31:217-21. 2003..The aim of this study is to determine associations between method of payment for dental services and perceived oral health in the UK...
- Tooth loss, denture wearing and associated factors among an elderly institutionalised Brazilian populationRaquel Conceição Ferreira
School of Dentistry, State University of Montes Claros, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Gerodontology 25:168-78. 2008..This cross-sectional study assessed the prevalence and extent of tooth loss as well as denture wear and associated factors in institutionalised elderly in Brazil...
- A study of the prosthodontic and oral health needs of an ageing psychiatric populationSumit Bhansali
Department of Prosthodontics and Dental Material Sciences, Faculty of Dental Sciences, U P King George s University of Dental Sciences, Lucknow, U P, India
Gerodontology 25:113-7. 2008..This ageing population constitutes a high-risk oral health group, vis-à-vis impaired manual dexterity, cognitive deterioration and unmet treatment needs, which could be compounded by psychiatric morbidity...
- Impact of dental care on oral health-related quality of life and treatment goals among elderly adultsD I Gagliardi
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Aust Dent J 53:26-33. 2008..This study aimed to evaluate change in both aspects of subjective oral health among elderly adults receiving publicly-funded, general dental care...
- Oral health of a Brazilian population on renal dialysisFernanda L Cunha
Department of Community Dentistry, Piracicaba Dental School, UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Spec Care Dentist 27:227-31. 2007..Data was collected on dental caries, use of and need for dentures, oral mucosa, periodontal disease and temporomandibular joint status...
- Oral health conditions and denture treatment needs in institutionalized elderly people in JapanH Miyazaki
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 20:297-301. 1992..A clicking sound was the most frequent symptom (17%). Hygiene of both their teeth and dentures was very poor. Of all the subjects, 36% needed new full and/or partial denture(s), and 41% needed only repair...
- Comparison of oral health data from self-administered questionnaire and clinical examinationG Axelsson
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:365-8. 1995..of individuals having 28 or more teeth, the proportion of subjects having a minimum of 20 functional teeth, the level of edentulousness and the presence of complete and partial dentures, can be obtained from postal questionnaires.
- Oral health status of a group of elderly Canadian Inuit (Eskimo)D Galan
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:53-6. 1993..Only 47% of these individuals wore complete dentures. Denture fit assessment revealed that 36% of the complete maxillary dentures and 42% of the complete mandibular ..
- Oral health problems and needs of nursing home residentsH A Kiyak
University of Washington, Seattle
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:49-52. 1993..need among dentate elderly was for routine oral hygiene (72%), while for denture wearers adjustment of loose dentures was the primary need (46.4%)...
- Influence of age and gender on oral health and related behaviour in an independent elderly populationM I MacEntee
Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:234-9. 1993..Overall the study demonstrates that the age and gender of independent elders have very little direct influence on the oral health or related behaviour established early in life...
- Oral health status of a long-term-care, veteran populationR J Weyant
Department of Public Health and Community Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:227-33. 1993..indices, the prevalence of oral lesions, levels of tooth loss, oral hygiene scores, and the status of existing dentures. Findings show moderate levels of untreated dental caries and periodontal disease and significant tooth loss ..
- Social network, social support and dental status in elderly Swedish menB S Hanson
Department of Community Health Sciences, Lund University, , Lund
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:331-7. 1994..support were measured, and all men were clinically examined regarding number of teeth, prevalence of removable dentures, fixed bridges and anterior open tooth spaces...
- Oral health promotion for institutionalised elderlyL Schou
Department of Preventive Dentistry, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17:2-6. 1989....
- [Characteristics associated with use of dental services by dentate and edentulous elders: the SB Brazil Project]Andréa Maria Eleutério de Barros Lima Martins
Centro de Ciências Básicas e da Saúde, Universidade Estadual de Montes Claros
Cad Saude Publica 24:81-92. 2008..areas; low income; current oral problems; fewer than two teeth in at least one sextant of the arch; need for dentures; and worse self-perceived appearance...
- Oral health status of 207 head and neck cancer patients before, during and after radiotherapyBruno C Jham
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Pathology, University of Maryland Dental School, 650 W Baltimore St, Floor 7 North, Baltimore, MD, 21201, USA
Clin Oral Investig 12:19-24. 2008..RT, the following data was collected: presence of unrecoverable teeth, residual roots, unerupted teeth, use of dentures, periodontal alterations, caries, candidiasis, and xerostomia...
- Oral disorders in institution-dwelling elderly adults: a graphic representationGerardo Maupome
Center for Health Research, 3800 N Interstate Ave, Portland, OR 97227, USA
Spec Care Dentist 22:194-200. 2002....
- Cognitive impairment is associated with poor oral health in individuals in long-term careBirgitte M Henriksen
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Norway
Oral Health Prev Dent 3:203-7. 2005..The aim of this work was to study oral hygiene and cognition in patients in long-term care...
- Assessments of oral health care in dependent older persons in nursing facilitiesInger Wårdh
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Faculty of Odontology, Goteborg University, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 60:330-6. 2002..However, the results also indicated that the residents were not concerned about their oral health. Nursing staff therefore have to be responsible for oral health care if improved care for residents is to be realized...
- Clinical correlates of oral health-related quality of life: evidence from a national sample of British older peopleGeorgios Tsakos
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK
Eur J Oral Sci 114:391-5. 2006..OHRQoL in older British people is significantly related to the number of occluding pairs of natural teeth among the dentate and denture quality among the edentate...
- Testing the effect of including oral health in general health checks for elderly patients in medical practice--a randomized controlled trialC Lowe
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:12-7. 2007..To test the feasibility and effectiveness of an oral health referral process for elderly patients (aged 75 years or over) attending a preventive health check (PHC) with their general medical practitioner...
- Oral health-related quality of life of periodontal patientsJ Cunha-Cruz
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7475, USA
J Periodontal Res 42:169-76. 2007..Self-assessments of oral health were associated with clinical characteristics...
- Dental needs of the elderly in residential care in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the role of formal carersD L Merelie
Community Dental Service, Newcastle Health Authority, England
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 20:106-11. 1992..Only 46% of carers attended a dentist regularly although the majority knew that teeth and dentures should be examined regularly. Carers arranged most of the dental treatment received by residents...
- Oral health and dental care in modern-day ChinaH C Lin
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29:319-28. 2001..Complete edentulousness in the 60-69-year-olds was usually reported to be less than 10%. About 14% of the 35-44-year-olds and 19% of the 65-74-year-olds did not brush their teeth daily...
- The oral hygiene and denture status among residential home residentsGulcan Coskun Akar
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Oral Investig 12:61-5. 2008..3%) full/removable partial denture, and 2 (3.3%) one or more fixed partial dentures. By gender, 57.6% female and 61.2% male subjects were dentate...
- Relationship between oral hygiene practices and oral status in dentate elderly people living in residential homesD Simons
Dental Department, Principal Health Centre, Civic Close, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 3LA, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29:464-70. 2001..005), PI and GI (P<0.0001). CONCLUSION: The elderly residents' perceived need for assistance with oral hygiene was related directly to oral hygiene status and to clinical indicators of mucosal and dental diseases...
- Oral health conditions of community-dwelling cognitively intact elderly persons with disabilitiesRalph Saunders
Department of Dentistry, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Gerodontology 24:67-76. 2007..To present descriptive information on oral health and health care of community-dwelling elderly persons with disabilities who are living at home...
- Nutrition and oral healthE Budtz-Jørgensen
Division of Gerodontology and Removable Prosthodontics, University of Geneva, 19 Rue BarthElemy Menn, CH 1205 Geneva, Switzerland
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 15:885-96. 2001..older people with adequate general health is linked to having fewer than 20 teeth present or to wearing removable dentures. By chewing for longer periods of time or swallowing larger food particles they are normally able to compensate ..
- Relationship between cognitive impairment and oral health: results of the Health 2000 Health Examination Survey in FinlandAnna Maija Hannele Syrjälä
Department of Periodontology, Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu Health Centre, Oulu, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 65:103-8. 2007..The aim was to study oral health in relation to cognitive impairment in the general population...
- Resin-bonded cantilever partial dentures are effective in terms of patient satisfaction in the restoration of the mandibular shortened dental archElham Emami
Oral Health and Rehabilitation Research Unit, , , C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, , QC, H3C3J7, Canada
J Evid Based Dent Pract 10:64-6. 2010..teeth; (2) 1 to 2 anterior teeth spaces allowed, provided they were restorable using resin-bonded fixed partial dentures (FPDs); and (3) plaque score of 20% or less...
- The use of mandibular implant-retained overdentures improve patient satisfaction and quality of lifeJ Mark Thomason
School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Evid Based Dent Pract 10:61-3. 2010..those involved in the studies ranged from 35 to 80 years, and all patients wore conventional maxillary complete dentures and either mandibular implant-retained or conventional complete dentures...
- A clinical trial of patient satisfaction and prosthodontic needs with ball and bar attachments for implant-retained complete overdentures: three-year resultsMichael I Macentee
University of British Columbia, Department of Oral Health Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Prosthet Dent 93:28-37. 2005Few prospective trials of implant-retained mandibular dentures have evaluated the increase and duration of patient satisfaction, costs of denture maintenance in relation to different methods of attaching overdentures to implants, or the ..
- [Research progress of dental machinable materials]Xiao Zhou Liu
Research Center of Engineering and Technology for Computerized Dentistry, Ministry of Health, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing, China
Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 40:654-7. 2008..With the use of CAD/CAM technology in dentistry, it has broken the traditional pattern of making dentures manually. Meanwhile, it brings opportunity for material science...
- Incidence rate of Candida species in the oral cavity of middle-aged and elderly subjectsM L Zaremba
Department of Microbiology, Medical University of Białystok, Poland
Adv Med Sci 51:233-6. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the incidence rate of oral Candida species in middle-aged and elderly subjects...
- Veterans Administration Cooperative Dental Implant Study--comparisons between fixed partial dentures supported by blade-vent implants and removable partial dentures. Part I: Methodology and comparisons between treatment groups at baselineK K Kapur
Veterans Administration Medical Center, Sepulveda, California, USA
J Prosthet Dent 58:499-512. 1987This study was conducted to determine whether fixed partial dentures supported by dental implants provide an acceptable alternative to conventional removable partial dentures in patients with Kennedy class I or class II edentulous ..
- Mandibular implant overdentures followed for over 10 years: patient compliance and prosthetic maintenanceAndrea Rentsch-Kollar
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int J Prosthodont 23:91-8. 2010..Follow-up studies with a long observation period are difficult to perform due to the increasing age of patients. The present data summarize a long-term clinical observation of patients with implant overdentures...
- Adhesion of Streptococcus mutans NCTC 10449 to artificial teeth: an in vitro studySebastian Hahnel
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Regensburg University Medical Center, Regensburg, Germany
J Prosthet Dent 100:309-15. 2008Plaque on dentures may foster the occurrence of denture stomatitis and periodontal diseases in gingival tissues adjacent to partial dentures. Thus, it is beneficial for dental materials to have a low susceptibility to plaque adhesion.
- Evaluation of unstimulated flow rates of whole and palatal saliva in healthy patients wearing complete dentures and in patients with Sjogren's syndromeKrisztina Márton
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Prosthet Dent 91:577-81. 2004..These areas are important for maxillary denture retention and stability. Thus, patients with xerostomia or hyposalivation may have problems with the stability of maxillary complete dentures.
- [Occlusal schemes of complete dentures--a review of the literature]E Tarazi
Dept of Oral Rehabilitation, The Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim 24:56-64, 85-6. 2007..With dentures, the quantity and the intensity of these contacts determine the amount and the direction of the forces that are ..
- Factors influencing the provision of removable partial dentures by dentists in IrelandFinbarr Allen
Cork Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork
J Ir Dent Assoc 56:224-9. 2010..are varied, and there is a need to identify factors influencing success in the provision of removable partial dentures. The aim of this study was to assess the attitudes of general dental practitioners (GDPs) in Ireland towards ..
- The satisfaction with the removable partial denture therapy in the Croatian adult populationD K Zlatarić
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 24:485-94. 2000Little is known about the outcomes of treatment and patient's satisfaction with removable partial dentures in adult Croatian population...
- The prevalence of temporomandibular disorders among two different denture-wearing populationsStavros Yannikakis
Technological Educational Institution of Athens, Faculty of Health and Caring Professions, Department of Dental Technology, Egaleo, Greece
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 17:35-40. 2009....
- Biomechanics of cantilever fixed partial dentures in shortened dental arch therapyS A Romeed
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, England, UK
J Prosthodont 13:90-100. 2004..by means of 3-dimensional finite element analysis, aspects of the biomechanics of cantilever fixed partial dentures replacing the maxillary canine in shortened dental arch therapy...
- Oral health in relation to wearing removable dentures provided by dentists, denturists and laboratory techniciansR Tuominen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Oral Rehabil 30:743-8. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate the oral health of elderly Finnish men wearing removable dentures supplied either by dentists, denturists or laboratory technicians...
- Reducing Care-Resistant Behaviors During Oral Hygiene in Persons with DementiaRita A Jablonski; Fiscal Year: 2013..with dementia may react with fear during mouth care, making it difficult for caregivers to brush teeth or remove dentures. Without daily mouth care, the mouth becomes diseased and places the elder at risk for other illnesses such as ..
- Oral Mucosa in Bisphosphonate-associated Osteonecrosis of the JawKotaro Sena; Fiscal Year: 2010..ONJ, although other causes such as periodontal disease, dental implant procedures, exostoses, and ill-fitting dentures are also preceding factors for ONJ...
- Pre-clinical Models of Odontic Analogs by Endogenous Stem CellsJeremy J Mao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Currently, dentures or dental implants are the treatments of choice for patients who are partially or completely edentulous...
- Fabrication of Denture Frameworks Using Titanium AlloysMarie Koike; Fiscal Year: 2010..Because of the many edentulous or partially edentulous patients, the need for removable partial and complete dentures has not declined...
- Artificial Hand's Seeing Fingers: A New Device for Ingested Foreign Bodies RemovaVLADIMIR RUBTSOV; Fiscal Year: 2010..especially those who have decreased cognitive function, impaired swallowing after a stroke, or poorly fitting dentures. Rigid and flexible endoscopy, with accessories such as various forceps and snares, is the most common technique ..
- A Randomized Controlled Trial to Reduce Pneumonia in Nursing Home ResidentsVINCENT JAMES QUAGLIARELLO; Fiscal Year: 2013..The intervention will consist of a combination of three components: 1) manual brushing of the gums, teeth and/or dentures twice a day;2) oral rinsing with a topical antibiotic (i.e...
- ORAL CONTROLLED-RELEASE DELIVERY SYSTEMSH Rawls; Fiscal Year: 1991..an amorphous polymer matrix to form a reservoir with a known dose and release rate, and 3) use of mouthguards, dentures or other oral appliances as platforms to carry replaceable reservoir materials...
- Diabetes: Implant Integration, Success, and BenefitThomas W Oates; Fiscal Year: 2010..on oral health-related quality of life associated with the addition of implant-support to mandibular complete dentures. Methods: A parallel design, prospective study will assess dental implant integration, success, complications, ..
- The role of Candida albicans biofilms in a novel rat model of denture stomatitisMAIRI NOVERR; Fiscal Year: 2013..Candida albicans readily forms biofilms on abiotic surfaces, including those used to make dentures. In addition, recent data from our laboratory indicates that C...
- Artificial Hand: A New Device for Ingested Foreign Bodies RemovalVLADIMIR RUBTSOV; Fiscal Year: 2007..especially those who have decreased cognitive function, impaired swallowing after a stroke, or poorly fitting dentures. Food bolus impaction also occurs frequently in animals...
- Candida albicans oral biofilmWELDA CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The organism forms biofilms on mucosa, teeth and oral devices such as dentures, generally in association with oral bacteria...
- Rechargeable Long-term Antifungal Denture MaterialsYuyu Sun; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Project Summary: Using antifungal dentures is an attractive approach to manage Candida-associated denture stomatitis (CADS), a common recurring disease among denture wearers, particularly in those who ..
- Antifungal Denture Adhesive Film for Oral CandidiasisTHOMAS GERDING; Fiscal Year: 2004..albicans colonization in the sites covered by the upper or lower dentures. Approximately 65 million people in the U.S...
- Intra-Oral Biofilm FormationSigmund Socransky; Fiscal Year: 2004..samples will be taken separately from the mesial aspect of each tooth at baseline and supragingival samples from dentures. Saliva and samples from eight oral soft tissue surfaces will also be collected...
- EVALUATION OF OVERDENTURE UTILIZING IMPLANT RETENTIONDavid Burns; Fiscal Year: 1990..specifically (1) quantify clinical difference in retention and stability between conventional attachment retained dentures and the magnetically retained overdenture; (2) identify change which may occur in the supporting tissues; (3) ..
- Hyperbaric O2 Stimulation of Salivary Flow in Radiation -induced XerostomiaMichael Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009..inability to eat), significantly increased rates of dental caries and other oral infections, inability to wear dentures due to decreased oral moisture, diminished gustatory sensation, difficulty in speech, and very significantly ..
- ORAL ECOLOGY OF PROSTHETIC SURFACESMira Edgerton; Fiscal Year: 1991..pathological condition which effects the palatal mucosa in about 50% of wearers of complete or partial removable dentures. Mucosal lesions are initiated and maintained by chronic infection of Candida albicans and microbial toxins of ..
- OSTEOGENIC CELL RESPONSE TO CHEMICALLY MODIFIED TITANIUMKEVIN HEALY; Fiscal Year: 1993..serve as a possible treatment for the edentulous patient without many of the disadvantages associated with dentures. A drawback to the implant operation is the recuperation period needed before the patient can load the implant ..
- The role of Candida albicans biofilms in a novel rat model of denture stomatitisMAIRI NOVERR; Fiscal Year: 2011..Candida albicans readily forms biofilms on abiotic surfaces, including those used to make dentures. In addition, recent data from our laboratory indicates that C...
- Laser-Engineered Net Shape Ti/HA Composite ImplantsHarold Alexander; Fiscal Year: 2002..Dental implants are in common use today throughout the world to treat single tooth loss and well as to support dentures. Tissue response to a Dental implant correlates with the composition, surface chemistry, and surface ..
- SALIVARY CONDITIONING OF DENTAL ACRYLICMira Edgerton; Fiscal Year: 1991Poly methylmethacrylate (PMMA) is a polymer widely used as a restorative dental material for complete and partial dentures and bridges...
- NANOCOMPOSITE-BASED DENTAL MATERIALSJOSEPH LICHTENHAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Dental restoratives, dentures, and impression materials
- IMPROVING ORAL CARE PROVIDED BY NURSING ASSISTANTSRita Jablonski; Fiscal Year: 2005..The effectiveness of the intervention will be measured by the amount of plaque on the teeth and dentures at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 12 weeks post-intervention...
- Novel Nanofiber-reinforced All-ceramic Dental MaterialsGustavo Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2003..of emphasis in allceramic restorations research is on developing reliable large-span posterior fixed partial dentures (FPDs)...
- Candida albicans-specific mucosal CD4+ T cell clonesWELDA CHAFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The organism forms biofilms on mucosa and oral devices, e.g. dentures, generally in association with bacteria...
- Caregiver Basic Skills Training (C-BST)EILEEN VAN SCHAIK; Fiscal Year: 2004..I teaches caregivers how to perform essential caregiving skills, including Communication, Cleaning and Storing Dentures, Bed to Wheelchair Transfer, and Infection Control Practices...
- Cranberry Effect on C. albicans Adherence and BiofilmsRONALD CIHLAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. catheters for UTIs, dentures for oral infections), and both types of infection involve colonization of mucosal surfaces...
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..The relationship between mastitis and breastmilk HIV load and the epidemiology and microbiology of mastitis will be examined in a new cohort of HIV-infected lactating women. ..
- Hepcidin and the pathogenesis of anemia in older adults.Richard D Semba; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study should provide new insight into the epidemiology and biological mechanisms of anemia among older adults and help identify strategies aimed at the prevention and treatment of anemia. ..
- Sharp Instrument Injuries and Use of Clinical ServicesGerardo Maupome; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide important information to establish the current impact of SII/BBFE incidents in HCWs, in terms of their utilization of clinical services and associated costs. ..
- Osteoporosis and Bone Augmentation/Implant Outcomes: An Observational StudyMartin A Freilich; Fiscal Year: 2010..This application represents an important step in this ongoing research initiative. ..
- Conference: Elders' Oral Health SummitJudith Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Evaluation of Fiber Biomaterials for Oral ImplantologyMartin Freilich; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary comparison between these prosthesis designs will be the incidence of Outcomes Requiring Intervention (failure of prosthesis or non-failures requiring intervention) observed over three years of recall examination. ..
- EFFICACY OF IMPLANT SUPPORTED MAXILLOFACIAL PROSTHESESNeal Garrett; Fiscal Year: 2001..All patients will be followed at 6 month intervals, for 12-36 months, to establish implant success rates, using life table analysis. ..
- VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HIV INFECTED CHILDRENRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Effect of Diabetes on Bone Integration of ImplantsMichael McCracken; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge may lead to bioengineered materials which will modify and improve bone healing response in diabetic patients who receive implants. ..
- Oxidative Stress and the Pathogenesis of Sarcopenia and Disability in Older WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2008..AGEs are a potentially modifiable risk factor, as circulating AGEs can be lowered by dietary modification and by pharmacological intervention. ..
- ADJUNCT VITAMIN A THERAPY FOR TUBERCULOSIS AND HIV/AIDSRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Periodontal Disease and Rheumatoid ArthritisMichael McCracken; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, it is hypothesized that among patients with rheumatoid arthritis, an association exists between the rate of progression of inflammatory arthritis and the progression of periodontal disease. ..
- Hereditary spastic paraplegia linked to chromosomes 8qPeter Hedera; Fiscal Year: 2006..I will characterize the phenotype of transgenic animals. The study of a transgenic animal model will further enhance current state of knowledge about the pathophysiology of HSP and axonal degeneration. ..
- Iron Deficiency and Anemia in HIV and HCV-Infected WomenRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2005..S. and elsewhere. ..
- The Effectiveness of Treatment for Adult PeriodontitisPhilippe Hujoel; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information can help determine in what area of periodontal research definitive clinical trials may offer the greatest contribution. ..
- Oral Health and Ventilator Associated PneumoniaFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- High Toughness Textured Ceramics for Biomedical UseIsabelle Denry; Fiscal Year: 2007..Potential applications include dental restorations, dental implant superstructures, and bone replacement implants. ..
- Physiology of ATP Release in Chronic PainYoshizo Matsuka; Fiscal Year: 2005..The acquired knowledge may lead to the development of novel therapeutics targeting abnormal excitability changes in sensory neurons. ..
- Amylase Binding Streptococci Dental Plaque and CariesFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2008..mutans made to express AbpA show altered colonization and/or cariogenic abilities. Integration of in vitro with in vivo studies is crucial for mechanistic understanding of Dental plaque formation. ..
- Clinical Investigation of Mandibular Implant OverdentureDavid Burns; Fiscal Year: 2005..Each subject has four dental implants placed into the anterior mandible and new dentures are fabricated...
- Comprehensive Research Training for Oral Health SciencesFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2008..Name Organization Frank A. Scannapieco University at Buffalo/Oral Biology Libuse Bobek University at Buffalo/Oral Biology Rosemary Dziak University at Buffalo/Oral Biology in the format shown below. Role on ..
- Risk of HTN Young Adult Lifestyle & Parental InfluenceMARGARET SAVOCA; Fiscal Year: 2005..This innovative approach will identify relevant intervention points for reducing the risk of hypertension among young African Americans. ..