Summary: The branch of dentistry concerned with the prevention of disease and the maintenance and promotion of oral health.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Program of oral health as a part of the public health program in Republic SerbiaM Janjanin
Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Belgrade, Yougoslavia
Med Arh 55:29-30. 2001..The results show that the Programme is effective and that the oral dental health of the inhabitants in Serbia has been considerably improved for the last 5 years...
- The economics of pit and fissure sealants in preventive dentistry: a reviewDinah H Kitchens
School of Dentistry at the University of Louisville, USA
J Contemp Dent Pract 6:95-103. 2005..The purpose of this paper is to review the literature regarding the cost-effectiveness of pit and fissure sealants as a preventive strategy in preventive dentistry.
- Strategies and approaches in oral disease prevention and health promotionRichard G Watt
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, England
Bull World Health Organ 83:711-8. 2005..At the core of this public health approach is the need to empower local communities to become actively involved in efforts to promote their oral health...
- Oral health behaviour and its determinants amongst Iranian dental studentsMohammad R Khami
Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Dent Educ 11:42-7. 2007To study the oral health behaviour (OHB) of Iranian senior dental students in relation to their gender, background characteristics, knowledge of preventive care, and attitudes towards preventive dentistry.
- Determinants of oral health behaviour among Iranian dentistsHadi Ghasemi
Department of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Int Dent J 57:237-42. 2007..To study the oral health behaviour of Iranian dentists...
- Preventive dentistry in Texas, USAM Chen
Center for Health Administration Studies, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:239-43. 1990..Dentists who worked more hours were more likely to provide educational services and preventive procedures. Patient load correlated negatively with dentists' delivery of preventive procedures...
- Nanomaterials in preventive dentistryMatthias Hannig
Clinic of Operative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, University Hospital, Saarland University, Building 73, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Nat Nanotechnol 5:565-9. 2010..Here, we review progress in the development of nanomaterials for different applications in preventive dentistry and research, including clinical trials.
- The role of the pediatrician in the oral health of children: A national surveyC W Lewis
Child Health Institute University of Washington, University of Washington, USA
Pediatrics 106:E84. 2000..To assess pediatricians' knowledge, attitudes, and professional experience regarding oral health, and to determine willingness to incorporate fluoride varnish into their practices...
- Adoption and implementation of policies to support preventive dentistry initiatives for physicians: a national survey of Medicaid programsLattice D Sams
Department of Dental Ecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Dentistry, 3240 Old Dental Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
Am J Public Health 103:e83-90. 2013..We determined the number of state Medicaid programs adopting initiatives to support preventive dental services provision by nondental health care professionals, their perceived attributes, and implementation barriers...
- Update on early childhood caries since the Surgeon General's ReportNorman Tinanoff
Department of Health Promotion and Policy, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Acad Pediatr 9:396-403. 2009..Findings regarding antimicrobial interventions, efforts to modify diets, and traditional dental health education are less consistent...
- Caries prevalence and background factors in Swedish 4-year-old children - a 40-year perspectiveChristina Stecksén-Blicks
Department of Odontology, Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:317-24. 2008..Periodic and well-controlled studies of caries and background factors are important for organizing dental care and how prevention should be addressed...
- Assessing patterns of restorative and preventive care among children enrolled in Medicaid, by type of dental care providerL Susan Taichman
Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 140:886-94. 2009..The authors investigate the relationship of preventive dental treatment to subsequent receipt of comprehensive treatment among Medicaid-enrolled children...
- Cost-analysis of an oral health outreach program for preschool children in a low socioeconomic multicultural area in SwedenInger Wennhall
Public Dental Service, Region Skåne, Malmo, Sweden
Swed Dent J 34:1-7. 2010..In conclusion, the estimated net costs were displayed and available to those considering implementation of a similar population-based preventive program in areas where preschool children are at high caries risk...
- The limitations of a 'high-risk' approach for the prevention of dental cariesPaul Batchelor
Dental Public Health, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Royal Free and University College London School, University College London, London, UK
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30:302-12. 2002..Using data from the National Preventive Dentistry Demonstration Programme (NPDDP) in the US and the British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry (..
- The influences on preventive care provided to children who frequently attend the UK General Dental ServiceM Tickle
Dental Public Health Dental Hospital of Manchester, Manchester University, Manchester
Br Dent J 194:329-32; discussion 318. 2003..To identify the relationship between the preventive and restorative care provided to children who frequently attend the General Dental Service in the UK after taking into account socio-economic status, gender and dental caries experience...
- Special Care Dentistry Association consensus statement on sedation, anesthesia, and alternative techniques for people with special needsPaul Glassman
University of the Pacific, Arthur A Dugoni School of Dentistry, San Francisco, California, USA
Spec Care Dentist 29:2-8; quiz 67-8. 2009..The SCDA hopes that these guidelines can help oral health professionals and other interested individuals and groups to work together to ensure that PSN can achieve a "lifetime of oral health."..
- Effect of preventive dentistry training program for caregivers in community facilities on caregiver and client behavior and client oral hygienePaul Glassman
University of the Pacific School of Dentistry, San Francisco, CA, USA
N Y State Dent J 72:38-46. 2006....
- Preventive dentistry: what do Australian patients endorse and recall of smoking cessation advice by their dentists?G Rikard-Bell
South West Sydney Area Health Service, Liverpool, Australia
Br Dent J 194:159-64; discussion 150. 2003..To investigate patients' views regarding dentists' smoking cessation advice...
- An ABCD program to increase access to dental care for children enrolled in Medicaid in a rural countyTarja Kaakko
Department of Dental Public Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
J Public Health Dent 62:45-50. 2002..In this study, the program was evaluated in rural Stevens County, Washington. Aims were to assess utilization of dental services, average dental expenditures per child, and oral health status...
- Strengthening the oral health safety net: delivery models that improve access to oral health care for uninsured and underserved populationsAllan J Formicola
Am J Public Health 94:702-4. 2004
- Caries prevention programs for groups: out of fashion or up to date?C H Splieth
Department of Operative Dentistry, Periodontology and Pediatric Dentistry, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Rotgerberstr 8, D 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Clin Oral Investig 8:6-10. 2004..For efficient caries prevention, measures formerly targeted specifically at either populations, groups, or individuals should be remodeled and aimed to interact in order to achieve optimal oral health in children at a reasonable cost...
- [Dental group prophylaxis - for children only?]S Zimmer
Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Poliklinik für Zahnerhaltung und Präventive Zahnheilkunde, Dusseldorf
Gesundheitswesen 66:57-61. 2004..Taking into account that the number of elderly institutionalized people is increasing in Germany, the establishment of group-related prevention for this part of the population seems to be an important goal in health policy...
- Oral health in SyriaN Beiruti
School Health Department, Jisser Alabiad Square, Damascus, Syria
Int Dent J 54:383-8. 2004....
- An assessment of the cost effectiveness of a postal toothpaste programme to prevent caries among five-year-old children in the North West of EnglandG M Davies
Dental Department, Central Manchester Primary Care Trust, Manchester, UK
Community Dent Health 20:207-10. 2003..To assess the cost effectiveness of a postal toothpaste programme to prevent caries in 5-year-old children in the north west of England...
- Oral health care and preventive strategies in Albania--a country in transitionMirela Bogdani
Int Dent J 53:165-71. 2003..A new oral health strategy, based on a preventive approach has been started, focused on wide and regular use of fluoridated toothpaste, dental health education and promotion, sealant application and annual oral examinations...
- Changes in dentists' attitudes and practice in paediatric dentistryD Roshan
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Leeds Dental Institute, University of Leeds, UK
Eur J Paediatr Dent 4:21-7. 2003....
- Barriers to achieving and maintaining the oral health of Hispanics: working with the community to develop a community-based oral health promotion programMaria Rosa Watson
College of Dental Surgery, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Compend Contin Educ Dent 23:33-5. 2002
- Cost-effectiveness of different caries preventive measures in a high-risk population of Swedish adolescentsN Oscarson
Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31:169-78. 2003..This means a yearly cost of approximately 334 SEK...
- The clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of routine dental checks: a systematic review and economic evaluationC Davenport
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, University of Birmingham, UK
Health Technol Assess 7:iii-v, 1-127. 2003
- Effectiveness of an oral health promotion programme at the workplaceM Morishita
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 30:414-7. 2003..The oral health promotion programme was effective in keeping or maintaining good oral health among workers. In addition to current activities, the programme should include education to motivate subjects to receive regular check-ups...
- [A study of oral status of adults who received regular checkups and professional care]Miura Yoshiko
Oral Diagnosis and General Dentistry, Dental Hospital Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Kokubyo Gakkai Zasshi 69:285-9. 2002..Therefore, it is suggested that regular professional care by a dentist or dental hygienist will assist in achieving the objective of the 8020 movement (20 healthy teeth at age 80)...
- How to improve the effectiveness of caries-preventive programs based on fluorideH Hausen
Institute of Dentistry, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Caries Res 38:263-7. 2004....
- Motivating parents to prevent caries in their young children: one-year findingsPhilip Weinstein
Behavioral Dental Research Program, University of Washington, Health Sciences Center, Seattle 98195 7475, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 135:731-8. 2004..The authors conducted a study to compare the effect of a motivational interviewing counseling treatment with that of traditional health education on parents of young children at high risk of developing dental caries...
- Rethinking preventionJames J Crall
Section of Pediatric Dentistry, MCHB National Oral Health Policy Center, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Dent 28:96-101; discussion 192-8. 2006..Additional attention was given to current and emerging challenges along with considerations for aligning oral health promotion and delivery system capacity with children's oral health care needs...
- Profile of the dentist in the oral healthcare team in countries with developed economiesM Sanz
University Complutense of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Dent Educ 12:101-10. 2008..It is important that these lists are dynamic so that they are able to change in light of new evidence and technologies...
- Impact evaluation of an oral health intervention amongst primary school children in IrelandS Friel
National Nutrition Surveillance Centre, Department of Health Promotion, National University of Ireland, Galway, Republic of Ireland
Health Promot Int 17:119-26. 2002..These results are in line with the argument that mass media campaigns work to supplement the one-to-one activities of health professionals in order to effect knowledge and behavioural change...
- [Collective oral health: ways from sanitary dentistry to buccality]Paulo Capel Narvai
Departamento de Prática de Saúde Pública, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 40:141-7. 2006..Social and preventive dentistry and market dentistry, with reference to the main theoretical works representative of these trends, are ..
- [Trends in oral healthcare. Caries prevalence and frequency of visits to the dentist for checkups]A A Schuller
TNO Kwaliteit van Leven, Business unit Jeugd, Preventie en Bewegen te Leiden
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 113:303-7. 2006..Considering possible consequences of the change in the Dutch health insurance system as of January 2006, such tendencies need careful monitoring...
- A comparison of dental treatment utilization and costs by HMO members living in fluoridated and nonfluoridated areasGerardo Maupome
Oral Health Research Institute, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 415 Lansing Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 2876, USA
J Public Health Dent 67:224-33. 2007..To compare dental treatment experiences and costs in members of a health maintenance organization (HMO) in areas with and without community water fluoridation...
- The role of evidence in formulating public health programs to prevent oral disease and promote oral health in the United StatesBarbara F Gooch
Division of Oral Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Evid Based Dent Pract 6:85-9. 2006..This presentation should increase awareness of evidence-based tools and activities that are supported by CDC to strengthen public health practice within states...
- Prolonged effect of a mother-child caries preventive program on dental caries in the permanent 1st molars in 9 to 10-year-old childrenSantiago S Gomez
Department of Preventive Dentistry, University of Valparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile
Acta Odontol Scand 65:271-4. 2007....
- Profile of the oral healthcare team in countries with emerging economiesD Nash
College of Dentistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Eur J Dent Educ 12:111-9. 2008..The International Federation of Dental Educators and Associations (IFDEA) should lead in such an effort...
- Access to preventionLeeAnn Podruch
J Am Dent Assoc 137:16; discussion 16, 18. 2006
- Long-term effect of an oral hygiene training program on knowledge and reported behaviorMarcia Pinto Alves Mayer
Dept Microbiology, Biomedical Sciences Institute, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP 05508 900, Brazil
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:37-43. 2003..To evaluate the long-term effect upon oral health knowledge and reported behavior of a comprehensive and a less comprehensive preventive program given to 13-16-year-old children 5 years after the termination of the programs...
- Improving the oral health of older people: the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health ProgrammePoul Erik Petersen
WHO Global Oral Health Programme, Department for Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:81-92. 2005..Operational research and efforts to translate science into practice are to be encouraged. WHO supports national capacity building in the oral health of older people through intercountry and interregional exchange of experiences...
- [Social and cultural determinants of dental health practices in Morocco: results of a qualitative study]Souad Msefer
Souad Msefer 5390, avenue Decelles, Appartement 2, Montréal H3T 1V9 Québec Canada
Sante 14:231-7. 2004..Thus to inculcate healthy lifestyle habits, an ecological approach that takes into consideration the social, cultural, and economic environment is most likely to induce the emergence of favourable social conditions...
- Childhood dental history and adult dental attitudes and beliefsJoseph L Riley
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0404, USA
Int Dent J 55:142-50. 2005..To examine associations between childhood dental visits and attitudes and beliefs about dental care, and oral health as measured during adulthood...
- Perceptions of oral health training and attitudes toward performing oral health screenings among graduating pediatric residentsGretchen Caspary
Division of Health Services Research, American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, Illinois 60007, USA
Pediatrics 122:e465-71. 2008..OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this work was to evaluate the oral health training that pediatricians receive during residency and their attitudes toward performing basic oral health screenings...
- The early childhood caries prevention program in PalauA Keith Larson
Division of Oral Health, Ministry of Health, Koror, Palau
Pac Health Dialog 10:106-10. 2003..Both health and process outcomes are being monitored by an oral health surveillance system, while preliminary data show improved oral health among young children. This paper takes a closer look at the development of the Palau program...
- Evaluating the role of dental behaviour in oral health inequalitiesAnne E Sanders
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, The University of Adelaide, Australia
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 34:71-9. 2006....
- Research defines public dental health promotion in youthC van der Poel
Flevoland Public Health Service GGD, Lelystad, The Netherlands
Int J Dent Hyg 4:24-9. 2006..This combined approach has proven to be effective on a large majority of the children. To ensure uniform dental health promotion, information protocols are used in these promotion activities within Flevoland...
- Integrating dental screening and fluoride varnish application into a pediatric residency outpatient program: clinical and financial implicationsJonelle S Grant
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, CB 7450, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 31:175-8. 2007....
- A "health commons" approach to oral health for low-income populations in a rural stateStephen Beetstra
Department of Surgery, Division of Dental Services, University of New Mexico, 900 Camino de Salud NE, Albuquerque, NM 87131 5019, USA
Am J Public Health 92:12-3. 2002..A coalition of motivated stakeholders includes community leaders, safety net providers, legislators, insurers, and medical, dental, and public health providers...
- Reviews of evidence on interventions to prevent dental caries, oral and pharyngeal cancers, and sports-related craniofacial injuriesBenedict I Truman
Office of the Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:21-54. 2002..These reviews form the basis of recommendations by the Task Force on Community Preventive Services (the Task Force) about the use of these selected interventions. The Task Force recommendations are presented in this supplement...
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's response to improving the nation's oral healthJudith Stavisky
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, New Jersey 08543 2316, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:13-5. 2002
- Community-based oral health prevention. Issues and opportunitiesHenrie Treadwell
W K Kellogg Foundation, Battle Creek, Michigan 49017, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:8-12. 2002
- Community preventive services and oral health: wishes for the futureJane A Weintraub
Center to Address Disparities in Children s Oral Health, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California, San Francisco School of Dentistry, 94143 1361, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:3-5. 2002
- Oral health and family characteristics of children attending private or public dental clinicsG L Woodward
Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 24:253-9. 1996..When compared with PDP clients, the NYPHD serves higher-needs children who otherwise might not receive care...
- The guide to community preventive services: oral healthDushanka V Kleinman
Office of the Chief Dental Officer, U S Public Health Service, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:1-2. 2002
- A prospective study of a caries prevention program in pregnant women and their children five and six years of ageS S Gomez
Department of Preventive Dentistry, University of Valparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile
ASDC J Dent Child 68:191-5, 152. 2001..In conclusion, the preventive dental program which started in pregnant women and continued in the mothers and their children were highly effective for a long-term reduction of dental caries...
- A comparison of selected evidence reviews and recommendations on interventions to prevent dental caries, oral and pharyngeal cancers, and sports-related craniofacial injuriesBarbara F Gooch
Division of Oral Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Prev Med 23:55-80. 2002
- NHS dentistry at a new crossroadsJohn Beal
Community Dent Health 19:209-10. 2002
- Dental health behavior and attitudes--an application of correspondence analysisG M van Rossum
Department of Oral Function and Prosthetic Dentistry, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:321-3. 1991..people with all natural teeth and people with a full denture in both jaws obviously are opposite of each other in many respects, whereas people with a full denture in only one jaw can be characterized as a dental in-between group...
- The future of the dental profession: perspectives from Oral Health in America: a report of the Surgeon GeneralDushanka V Kleinman
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, U S Public Health Service, 31 Center Dr, MSC 2290, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Am Coll Dent 69:6-10. 2002..Although the report stressed oral health, not the dental profession, the report's messages and themes are relevant to current and future dental practice, education, research, and to dentistry's role in the healthcare system...
- Using a fluoridated supplement with a high fluoride concentration in children aged under 6 years may increase the risk of fluorosisGraciela Rasines
Evidence Based Dentistry Commission, Dental Association of Argentina, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Evid Based Dent 11:8-9. 2010..Dental Journal, Journal of Public Health Dentistry) were searched by hand, and experts in the field of preventive dentistry and oral epidemiology contacted...
- Plaque inhibition of two commercially available chlorhexidine mouthrinsesD A C Van Strydonck
Department of Periodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Periodontol 32:305-9. 2005..2% CHX antiseptic in preventive dentistry. This stimulated the development of new formulations...
- Quantitative detection of volatile sulfur compound- producing microorganisms in oral specimens using real-time PCRH Kato
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Oral Dis 11:67-71. 2005..In this study, we report a real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method for the quantitative analysis of VSC-producing bacteria in oral specimens...
- Sintering mechanism of the CaF2 on hydroxyapatite by a 10.6-l microm CO2 laserCheng Chei Wu
Graduate Institute of Dental Science, College of Dental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Lasers Surg Med 31:333-8. 2002..assistant role in the therapy of hypersensitive tooth, apical sealing of endodontic surgery in dentistry, preventive dentistry for pit and fissure sealing, and fluoridation...
- Dental emergencies in a university-based pediatric dentistry postgraduate outpatient clinic: a retrospective studyF G Agostini
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Texas Houston Health Science Center Dental Branch, USA
ASDC J Dent Child 68:316-21, 300-1. 2001..Most causes for seeking outpatient emergency dental care are disease processes which may be avoided by infant oral health and preventive dentistry programs and early treatment intervention.
- [Influence of topical fluoridation of glass ionomer cements on inhibitory activity on cariogenic bacteria]Małgorzata Płuciennik-Stronias
Zakład Stomatologii Zachowawczej UM w Łodzi
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 62:369-74. 2010Glass ionomer cements are important options in restorative and preventive dentistry due to their adhesion to the tooth surface and fluoride release, which can decrease the risk of recurrent caries...
- The Baltic dental programme at the Faculty of Dentistry of The Karolinska Institute: first evaluationK Röding
School of Dentistry, Division of Education and Research, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Eur J Dent Educ 1:30-4. 1997..comprises 7 semesters at the School of Dentistry, and includes complementary courses in basic science, preventive dentistry, and theoretical and practical courses in all fields of clinical dentistry...
- Suitability of Krathwohl's affective taxonomy for evaluating patient attitudes to dental careA M Syrjälä
Department of Periodontology, University of Oulu, Finland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:299-303. 1990..The questionnaire comprised four questions under each of three headings: preventive dentistry, gingivitis, and dental check-up...
- Dental health attitudes and behaviour among dental students in JordanKefah Barrieshi-Nusair
Department of Restorative Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, Kuwait University, P O Box 24923 Safat, Kuwait
Community Dent Health 23:147-51. 2006..Examine and compare differences in oral health attitudes and behaviour among Jordanian dental students...
- Dental screening of pediatric cardiac surgical patientsP A Hayes
Medical University of South Carolina, College of Dental Medicine, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, and Orthodontics, Division of Pediatric Dentistry, 25 Bee Street, PO Box 250126, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
ASDC J Dent Child 68:255-8, 228-9. 2001..The screening involved an educational session on bacterial endocarditis and preventive dentistry followed by a dental examination...
- A case study in contesting the conventional wisdom: school-based fluoride mouthrinse programs in the USAJ A Disney
School of Dentistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599-7450
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:46-54. 1990This paper presents the events surrounding the dissemination of the results of a major preventive dentistry demonstration program designed and conducted to provide evidence of the effectiveness and actual costs of a combination of ..
- The relationship between the presence of periodontopathogenic bacteria in saliva and halitosisS Awano
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Int Dent J 52:212-6. 2002..To evaluate the association between the presence of periodontal pathogenic bacteria in saliva and halitosis in mouth air...
- Simplified preventive dentistry program for Chilean refugees: effectiveness of one versus two instructional sessionsM Zimmerman
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 21:143-7. 1993..5% (95% < I: 35.9 to 45.8%) in the two-visit group. The reduction in periodontal pocket depth was mainly a reduction of shallow pockets. The maximum effect was attained after one instructional session...
- Undergraduate experience and self-assessed confidence in paediatric dentistry: comparison of three UK dental schoolsH D Rodd
Department of Oral Health and Development, School of Clinical Dentistry, Claremont Crescent, Sheffield, S10 2TA eld ac uk
Br Dent J 208:221-5. 2010..and treatment planning; patient selection for treatment under general anaesthesia; operative dentistry; preventive dentistry; management of dento-alveolar trauma, and provision of routine care for children on qualification...
- [Polarization of dental caries in a city without fluoridated water]Luciana Cardoso
Departamento de Odontologia, Universidade Luterana do Brasil, Canoas, RS, 92420 280, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 19:237-43. 2003..from 6 to 12 years of age, residing in a city without a water supply fluoridation system and without a preventive dentistry program, with the aim of orienting future health measures towards improved cost-effectiveness...
- U.S. and Canadian dental school involvement in extramural programmingC S Ayers
Division Public Health Dentistry, Marquette University School of Dentistry, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Dent Educ 65:1272-7. 2001..4 percent comprehensive clinical services, 11.8 percent health education, 11.8 percent preventive dentistry, and 8.7 percent community activities...
- Oral health behaviour of Iranian dental school educatorsMohammad R Khami
Dept of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Oral Health Prev Dent 4:265-71. 2006..To investigate oral health behaviour and smoking habits among academic staff members in Iran's dental schools in relation to their personal and academic background characteristics...
- Prevention of early childhood caries in North Carolina medical practices: implications for research and practiceR Gary Rozier
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7411, USA
J Dent Educ 67:876-85. 2003..The purpose of this paper is to describe the development, implementation, and preliminary outcomes of preventive dentistry programs in North Carolina that target low-income children from birth to thirty-five months of age...
- Barriers to the provision of oral health education among Mongolian dentistsBattsetseg Tseveenjav
Department of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Finland
Oral Health Prev Dent 3:183-8. 2005..To study barriers to providing oral health education (OHE) to their patients among Mongolian dentists...
- Compliance with periodontal maintenance at the University of Pittsburgh: Retrospective analysis of 315 casesPouran Famili
Department of Periodontics and Preventive Dentistry, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
Gen Dent 58:e42-7. 2010..This article is a retrospective analysis of 315 cases from the Department of Periodontics and Preventive Dentistry at the University of Pittsburgh to determine compliance with periodontal maintenance schedules over a two-..
- Analysis of pulpal reactions to restorative procedures, materials, pulp capping, and future therapiesPeter E Murray
Department of Oral Biology, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 1121 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5186, USA
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 13:509-20. 2002Every year, despite the effectiveness of preventive dentistry and dental health care, 290 million fillings are placed each year in the United States; two-thirds of these involve the replacement of failed restorations...
- Childhood leukaemia: experiences of children and attitudes of parents on dental careC E Cubukcu
Paediatric Dentist in Paediatric Dental Care Unit, Uludag University, Medical Faculty, Bursa, Turkey
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 17:285-9. 2008..Level of knowledge on both dental facts and preventive dentistry of the participants was insufficient...
- [Prevention: the success of a partial denture]C van Loveren
Uit de afdeling Cariologie Endodontologie Pedodontologie van het Academisch Centrum Tandheelkunde Amsterdam ACTA
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 116:617-21. 2009..The design of the removable partial denture should be carried out according to modern concepts of preventive dentistry. Before placing a removable partial denture, the patient's mouth should be thoroughly healthy and the ..
- Barriers to the adoption and implementation of preventive dental services in primary medical careKelly Close
MSUP, University of North Carolina, Gillings School of Global Public Health, Department of Health Policy and Management, 1105 F McGavran Greenberg Hall, 135 Dauer Dr, CB 7411, Chapel Hill, NC 27499, USA
Pediatrics 125:509-17. 2010..To determine the barriers to adopting preventive oral health procedures in medical primary care...
- Combined fluoride therapies. A 6-year double-blind school-based preventive dentistry study in Inverness, ScotlandK W Stephen
University of Glasgow, Scotland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 18:244-8. 1990..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Natural enamel wear--a physiological source of hydroxylapatite nanoparticles for biofilm management and tooth repair?C Hannig
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Med Hypotheses 74:670-2. 2010..sculls or omnivorous primates, respectively, offer perspectives for developing new approaches in preventive dentistry. It is hypothesized that nano-sized hydroxylapatite crystallites occur in the oral cavity during extensive ..
- Reliability and factor analysis of children's fear survey schedule-dental subscale in Indian subjectsP Singh
Department of Pedodontics with Preventive Dentistry, Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 28:151-5. 2010....
- [A strategy for treating the anxious patient]Frans Vinckier
K U Leuven Ecole de Médecine Dentaire, de Stomatologie et Chirurgie maxillo faciale Kapucijnenvoer 7 B 3000 Louvain
Rev Belge Med Dent (1984) 58:209-20. 2003The article describes the different ways of dealing with dental fear. First the importance of preventive dentistry is pointed out. Subsequently the potential of behaviour therapy for both children and adults is discussed...
- Trends in caries among adults 18 to 45 years oldL Jackson Brown
Health Policy Resources Center, American Dental Association, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 133:827-34. 2002....
- Evaluation of physiological and behavioral measures in relation to dental anxiety during sequential dental visits in childrenR Rayen
Dept of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College and Hospital, Maduravoyal, Chennai, India
Indian J Dent Res 17:27-34. 2006..The study was conducted at the outpatient Department of Pedodontics and preventive dentistry, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College and Hospital, Chennai to evaluate the physiological and behavioural ..
- Dental management of a child with congenital sideroblastic anemia: a case reportRochelle G Lindemeyer
Pediatric Dental Residency Program, School of Dental Medicine, The University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA
Pediatr Dent 29:315-9. 2007..b>Preventive dentistry should be a hallmark of dental management for these children.
- The use of tetracycline fibres in the treatment of generalised aggressive periodontitis: clinical and microbiological findingsD Sakellari
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Implant Biology, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
J Int Acad Periodontol 5:52-60. 2003..Ten patients, 24-39 years old referred for treatment to the Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Implant Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki took part in the study...
- Dental fear and knowledge of children treated by certified pediatric dentists and general practitionersMalka Ashkenazi
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
ASDC J Dent Child 69:297-305, 235. 2002..31.5%) and received prizes (85.3% vs. 32.7%). These findings suggest that CPDs invest more effort in communication and education of their patients concerning preventive dentistry. There is a need to improve these skills of GPs and CPDs.
- A new concept in restorative dentistry: light-induced fluorescence evaluator for diagnosis and treatment. Part 1: Diagnosis and treatment of initial occlusal cariesElodie Terrer
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Marseille Dental School, University of the Mediterranean
J Contemp Dent Pract 10:E086-94. 2009..The objective of this in vivo experiment is to propose an innovative therapeutic concept using a light-induced fluorescence evaluator for diagnosis and treatment (LIFEDT) that is based on the imaging and autofluorescence of dental tissues...
- A specialism of primary dental care?Andy Toy
School of Care Sciences, University of Glamorgan, Pontypridd, Wales, UK
Prim Dent Care 11:5-7. 2004This opinion paper contends that a wide gap exists between the theory and practice of preventive dentistry. The reasons for this lie partly in the lack of recognition given to the potential for general dental practitioners (GDPs) to ..
- Framing public policy and prevention of chronic violence in American youthsKenneth A Dodge
Center for Child and Family Policy, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Am Psychol 63:573-90. 2008..b>Preventive dentistry offers a lifelong system of universal, selected, and indicated intervention policies...
- A model for a children's dental health carnivalS D Harn
Department of Oral Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Dentistry
ASDC J Dent Child 58:320-7. 1991..The authors would be pleased to share additional information with interested parties...
- Factors Contributing to Oral Health Disparities in AppalachiaDaniel W McNeil; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: PROJECT NARRATIVE Despite years of study and preventive dentistry, dental caries in young children has been markedly increasing...
- Fluoride Agents: Pattern of their Effect on Early CariesBennett Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our main objective is to examine and arrive at a conclusion on the issue of controversy in the field of preventive Dentistry regarding the use of fluoride varnish (high fluoride concentration) to remineralize early caries...
- A pilot study for oral health case management of children with orofacial cleftsCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Primary Care Provider and Preventive Oral HealthCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, this career development award is expected to provide to Dr. Lewis the didactic and experiential training necessary to become an independent clinical investigator focusing on pediatric and dental health services research. ..
- Dental Care in Children With and Without Special Health Care NeedsCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, we hypothesize that CSHCN will require relatively more restorative dental care and thus have higher dental expenditures per dental visit and overall than children without special needs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health Status and Habits of Young Children with Developmental DelayCharlotte Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of antisocial behavior in early adulthoodKENNETH DODGE; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will contribute both to basic theories of antisocial development and to prevention science and public policy. ..
- Oral cancer treatment & complications: Cochrane reviewsHelen Worthington; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Oral Cancer Disparities in FloridaScott Tomar; Fiscal Year: 2008..Effectiveness of the interventions will be measured through population-based surveys and utilization of the hotline and clinics. ..
- ORAL CONDITIONS AND SYSTEMIC HEALTH OUTCOMESRaul Garcia; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Fluoride Varnish Trial in High Caries Pre-SchoolersPhilip Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experimental design of this study is a randomized controlled clinical trial with two treatment groups and 250 participants per group. ..
- ANGIOGENESIS, ENDOTHELIAL SURVIVAL, AND ORAL CANCERPeter Polverini; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- CONTROLLED-RELEASE SEALANT TO PREVENT SECONDARY CARIESKenneth Anusavice; Fiscal Year: 2004..mutans, site specific levels of S. mutans at the margins of amalgam and composite restorations, and the width of marginal crevices adjacent to amalgam and composite restorations). ..
- Dental Coverage Transistions, Utilization and RetirementRICHARD MANSKI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results obtained from this project will establish the independent effect of dental coverage on dental use and as a consequence provide important and timely information for policy makers. ..
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2008..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multi-site Prevention of Adolescent Conduct ProblemsKENNETH DODGE; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- PREVENTION OF EARLY CHILDHOOD CARIES IN MEDICAL PRACTICER Rozier; Fiscal Year: 2005..interventions continue after children are no longer eligible and before they enroll in school-based preventive dentistry programs...
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- International Caries Detection and Assessement SystemAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finding of the workshop will be used in a second workshop, to be organized by Dr. George Stookey, which will focus on the design of caries clinical trials and new diagnostic technology. ..
- Michigan Oral Cancer Prevention NetworkAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2003..By the end of the 3rd year, or earlier, the MOPCN would be ready to plan and implement community-based intervention studies...
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Florida Model for Oral Cancer Control, Phase IScott Tomar; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Observed Factors Affecting Prevention in Dental PracticeStephen Wotman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health Disparities: Actions Taken About PainJoseph Riley; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information has important health policy implications for reducing the race and ethnic disparities in oral health through interventions that facilitate access to care and utilization of appropriate services. ..
- Examining Disparities in Child Dental MedicaidJessica Lee; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also examine quality performance measures as established by the NCQA expert panel. ..