- Accuracy of age estimation of radiographic methods using developing teeth
Dental Institute, Bart s and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Turner Street, London E1 2AD, UK
Forensic Sci Int 159:S68-73. 2006
..The 95% confidence interval of the mean was least for mean of all developing teeth using Haavikko (age 3-13.99 years), followed by identical values for Demirjian and Willems (sexes combined)...
- Age estimation of Korean children based on dental maturity
Sang Eon Lee
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Yeongeon Dong 28, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 749, Republic of Korea
Forensic Sci Int 178:125-31. 2008
..0 year of the actual age in 92.0% of male and 92.5% of female subjects. Collectively, the data of the present study can be used as a reference for dental maturity and a standard for age estimation of Korean children...
- Radiographic evaluation of third molar development in relation to chronological age among Turkish children and youth
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ankara, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 165:46-51. 2007
..Among the Turkish population, third molar crypt formation is observable at as early as 7 years in both the mandible and maxilla. Agenesis can be determined conclusively if no radiolucent bud is present by age 14...
- Studies of the chronological course of wisdom tooth eruption in a Black African population
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Turmstrasse 21, 10559 Berlin, Germany
J Forensic Sci 52:1161-3. 2007
..Statistical scores were determined for the individual stages separately for both sexes. The data presented here can be utilized for forensic estimation of the minimum and most probable ages of investigated persons...
- Dental maturity in South France: A comparison between Demirjian's method and polynomial functions
Universite de Montreal, Departement d Anthropologie, unité d anthropologie physique C P 6128, Succursale A, Montreal Quebec, H3C3J7 Canada
J Forensic Sci 49:1059-66. 2004
..The polynomial functions showed the best reliability (1.3% of misclassified) and the percentile methods the best accuracy (more or less 1.2 years, on average, between 2 and 18 years of age)...
- Assessment of dental maturity of children aged 3.5 to 13.5 years using the Demirjian method in an Iranian population
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Rafsanjan University of Medical Science, Rafsanjan, Iran
J Oral Sci 53:37-42. 2011
..094). Based on the amount of differences between estimated dental age and chronological age in this investigation, the Demirjian method seems to be clinically applicable in the Iranian population...
- Dental maturity of Caucasian children in the Indianapolis area
Lauren S Weddell
Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, ID, USA
Pediatr Dent 33:221-7. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to compare chronologic and dental age using Demirjian's method...
- Dental age estimation in Belgian children: Demirjian's technique revisited
School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
J Forensic Sci 46:893-5. 2001
..The overestimation of the chronological age was confirmed. The adapted scoring system resulted in new age scores expressed in years and in a higher accuracy compared to the original method in Belgian Caucasians...
- Assessment of dental maturity of Brazilian children aged 6 to 14 years using Demirjian's method
R M R Eid
Adolescent Sector, Department of Pediatrics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Paediatr Dent 12:423-8. 2002
..This is possible, as the maturity scoring system proposed by the method is universal in application, although the conversion to dental age depends on the population considered...
- Skeletal maturation evaluation using mandibular second molar calcification stages
Department of Orthodontics, PDM Dental College and Research Institute, Sarai Aurangabad, Bahadurgarh, Haryana, India
Angle Orthod 82:501-6. 2012
- Relationships between dental and skeletal maturity in Turkish subjects
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Angle Orthod 74:657-64. 2004
..It is appropriate to put these skeletal and dental maturation relationships into daily orthodontic diagnostic practice, when treating a Turkish patient...
- Dental age in Dutch children
I H Leurs
Department of Orthodontics, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Orthod 27:309-14. 2005
..In addition to the graphs, tables were produced which transfer the maturity scores calculated by the method of Demirjian into Dutch dental age...
- Dental age assessment: are Demirjian's standards appropriate for southern Chinese children?
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Forensic Odontostomatol 29:22-8. 2011
..There was a mean overestimation of dental age of 0.62 years for boys (p < 0.01) and 0.36 years for girls (p < 0.01). Demirjian's dataset is not suitable for estimating the age of 3-16 years old southern Chinese children...
- Dental maturity as an indicator of chronological age: radiographic evaluation of dental age in 6 to 13 years children of Belgaum using Demirjian methods
R J Hegde
Department of Pedodontics, P M N M Dental College, Bagalkot, Karnataka
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 20:132-8. 2002
..14 years (51 days) and females showed overestimation of 0.04 years (15 days). Demirjian method showed high accuracy when applied to Belgaum children...
- Comparison of dental maturity in children of different ethnic origins: international maturity curves for clinicians
Universite de Montreal, Departement d Anthropologie, unité d anthropologie physique, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec H3C3J7, Canada
J Forensic Sci 50:1164-74. 2005
..There are inter-ethnic differences classified in three major groups. Australians have the fastest dental maturation and Koreans have the slowest...
- Applicability of Demirjian's method of age assessment in a North Indian female population
Department of Pedodontics, Kalka Dental College, Meerut, India
Eur J Paediatr Dent 13:133-5. 2012
..This study was conducted to determine whether the standards of dental maturation given by Demirjian et al. are applicable to North Indian children and to assess the relationship between dental age and chronological age...
- Dental age assessment (DAA): reference data for British children at the 10-year-old threshold
Guy s Hospital, London, UK
Int J Legal Med 125:651-7. 2011
..DAA using meta-analysis provides a simple method of estimating the age of subjects of unknown birth date at the 10-year threshold. This is, presently, the most accurate method of age assessment for individuals of unknown date of birth...
- [Accuracy of age estimation from orthopantomograph using Demirjian's method]
Shanghai Ninth People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200011, China
Fa Yi Xue Za Zhi 23:258-60. 2007
..The aim of this study was to determine the accuracy of Demirjian method (Panoramic radiographs were examined and seven mandibular teeth staged according to Demirjian's dental maturity scale) in the forensic clinical medicine...
- Correlation of dental maturity with skeletal maturity from radiographic assessment: a review
John M Morris
Postgraduate Orthodontic Program, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health, A T Still University, 5835 East Still Circle, Mesa, AZ 85206, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 36:309-14. 2012
..This study reviewed articles pertinent to the relationship between developing teeth and skeletal maturity and remaining growth, and a system is proposed to give practitioners an additional assessment for growth and development...
- A comparison of Demirjian's four dental development methods for forensic age assessment
Sara J Flood
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia
J Forensic Sci 56:1610-5. 2011
..Therefore, we recommend the 4-tooth method to be used for forensic age estimation in Western Australian males and females, as it has the lowest overall mean deviation and the highest accuracy...
- Age estimation in children by measurement of open apices in teeth
Institute of Legal Medicine, Via D Minzoni 9, 62100, Macerata, Italy
Int J Legal Med 120:49-52. 2006
..6% of the variations in estimated chronological age. The median of residual errors between the actual and estimated ages was -0.035 years [interquartile range (IQR)=1.18 years]...
- [Application of Demirjian's method for chronological age estimation in teenagers of Shanghai Han population]
Ge Fei Shi
Shanghai Key laboratory of Forensic Medicine, Institute of Forensic Science, Ministry of Justice, Shanghai 200063, PR China
Fa Yi Xue Za Zhi 25:168-71. 2009
..To study the applicability of Demirjian's method for age estimation in teenagers of Shanghai Han population in China...
- Non-adult dental age assessment: correspondence analysis and linear regression versus Bayesian predictions
Laboratoire d Anthropologie, UMR 5199 CNRS, Universite Bordeaux 1, Avenue des Facultes, 33405 Talence Cedex, France
Int J Legal Med 119:260-74. 2005
..Importantly, in the case of Bayesian non-adult predictions, and contrary to age estimation techniques based on regression, a better quality does not depend on age...
- Dental maturation in British children: are Demirjian's standards applicable?
H M Liversidge
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, St Bartholomews and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK
Int J Paediatr Dent 9:263-9. 1999
..The objective of this study was to determine if the standards of dental maturation of Demirjian et al. (1973, 1976) are applicable to British children...
- Relationship between dental age according to Demirjian and cervical vertebrae maturity in Polish children
Department of Dental and Maxillofacial Radiology, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
Eur J Orthod 33:75-83. 2011
..The results indicate the usefulness of dental calcification stages as a simple first-level diagnostic test to determine the skeletal maturity status of a subject...
- Accuracy of different dental age estimation methods on Turkish children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 216:61-7. 2012
..All of the three methods are not completely suitable for Turkish children and establishment of the population-specific standards is essential and crucial...
- Growth of permanent mandibular teeth of British children aged 4 to 9 years
H M Liversidge
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary and Westfield College, University of London, UK
Ann Hum Biol 28:256-62. 2001
..The aim of this study was to investigate ethnic differences and describe tooth formation of mandibular permanent teeth in a group of London children...
- Dental age assessment (DAA): a study of a Caucasian population at the 13 year threshold
Priya N Chudasama
Cameron Centre for Forensic Medical Sciences, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, United Kingdom
J Forensic Leg Med 19:22-8. 2012
..The purpose of this study was to develop a Reference Data Set for Dental Age Assessment at the 13 year old threshold in Caucasian children...
- Dental age assessment (DAA): reference data for British caucasians at the 16 year threshold
Julie C Mitchell
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, King s College Dental Hospital and Institute, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9RS, United Kingdom
Forensic Sci Int 189:19-23. 2009
..The purpose of this study was to determine reference data for dental age assessment (DAA) for the 16 year threshold in British caucasians...
- Assessment of dental maturity of western Chinese children using Demirjian's method
J W Chen
State Key Laboratory of Oral Diseases and Department of Orthodontics, West China College of Stomatology Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Forensic Sci Int 197:119.e1-4. 2010
..As a result, specific standards of dental age assessment should be established for this population...
- Dental age assessment among Iranian children aged 6-13 years using the Demirjian method
Department of Oral Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry and Dental Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Forensic Sci Int 197:121.e1-4. 2010
..The objective of the present study is to test the accuracy of the Demirjian method for age estimation in an Iranian population...
- Estimation of dental age and its comparison with chronological age: accuracy of two radiographic methods
Department of Public Health Dentistry, Sudha Rustagi College of Dental Sciences and Research, Faridabad, India
Med Sci Law 52:32-5. 2012
..Accurate age data are always necessary in medicine and dentistry, and are also important to assess maturity and estimate age in a number of disciplines, such as forensic odontology, paediatric and preventive dentistry, orthodontics, etc...
- Validity of demirjian and nolla methods for dental age estimation for Northeastern Turkish children aged 5-16 years old
Department of Pedodontics, Karadeniz Technical University, Faculty of Dentistry, Trabzon, Turkey
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 17:e871-7. 2012
..To evaluate the applicability of Demirjian and Nolla methods for northeastern Turkish population...
- Comparison of two methods of dental age estimation in 7-15-year-old Malays
Shani Ann Mani
School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kota Bharu, Malaysia
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:380-8. 2008
..The Demirjian method is the most frequently used, which was first applied in a French Canadian population in 1973. The Willems method is a modification of the above and was applied in a Belgian population in 2002...
- Dental age assessment: the applicability of Demirjian method in eastern Turkish children
Department of Orthodontics, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Forensic Sci 56:S220-2. 2011
..4 to 1.3 years in boys. The differences between the chronological and dental ages were statistically significant in all age groups. The applicability of Demirjian method is not suitable for eastern Turkish population...
- Dental age assessment of 8.5 to 17 Year-old Saudi children using Demirjian's method
Department of Preventive Dental Sciences of Collage of Dentistry at King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Contemp Dent Pract 9:64-71. 2008
..The aim of this study was to assess the dental age in Saudi children aged 8.5 to 17 years using the Demirjian method...
- Dental maturation in patients with unilateral posterior crossbite
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
World J Orthod 10:383-8. 2009
- Dental age table for a sample of Pakistani children
Rashna H Sukhia
Department of Surgery, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Road, Karachi, Pakistan
Eur J Orthod 34:77-82. 2012
- Reliability of the methods applied to assess age minority in living subjects around 18 years old. A survey on a Moroccan origin population
P M Garamendi
Basque Legal Medicine Institute, Vizcaya Division, Forensic Clinical Department, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 154:3-12. 2005
- Dental age assessment using Demirjian's method on northern Turkish children
Emine Sen Tunc
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ondokuz Mayis, 55139 Samsun, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 175:23-6. 2008
..in 1973 and 1976 may not be suitable for northern Turkish children. Each population of children may need their own specific standard for an accurate estimation of chronological age...
- Dental age estimation in Spanish and Venezuelan children. Comparison of Demirjian and Chaillet's scores
Institute of Legal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Int J Legal Med 124:105-12. 2010
..With these graphs, the Demirjian's scores showed to be inadequate after the age of 12 in both populations, while Chaillet's scores offered useful information until 14 years of age...
- Validity of Demirjian and Willems methods for dental age estimation for Malaysian children aged 5-15 years old
Nik Noriah Nik-Hussein
Department of Children s Dentistry and Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Forensic Sci Int 204:208.e1-6. 2011
..It was later modified by Willems and coworkers whereby they “performed a weighted ANOVA” in order to adapt the scoring system...
- Is the assessment of dental age by the Nolla method valid for eastern Turkish children?
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Forensic Sci 56:1025-8. 2011
..9 and 8-8.9. Although the accuracy of this method was suitable for boys, according to our findings, it was not suitable for girls...
- Morphologic analysis of third-molar mineralization for eastern Turkish children and youth
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Forensic Sci 57:531-4. 2012
..03); females were advanced 0.37 years compared with males at the stage C. Third-molar development among eastern Turkish children and youths occurs at a more advanced age than other populations for almost all stages...
- Dental age assessment in orthodontic patients with and without skeletal malocclusions
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
Orthod Craniofac Res 14:58-62. 2011
..The aim of this report was to investigate the dental development in an orthodontic patient population with and without different sagittal skeletal malocclusions...
- The reliability of chronological age determination by means of mandibular third molar development in subjects in Croatia
Department of Orthodontics, School of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Croatia
J Forensic Sci 55:14-8. 2010
..779, right third molar r = 0.793; girls, mandibular left third molar r = 0.746, right third molar r = 0.725). It can be concluded that the accuracy of age estimation based on Nolla's method is applicable for Croatian children...
- Approaches to chronological age assessment based on dental calcification
M V Bolanos
Departamento de Estomatolog ia y Departamento de Investigaci on Operativa, Facultad de Odontolog ia, Universidad de Granada, Colegio M aximo, Campus de Cartuja s n 18071, Granada, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 110:97-106. 2000
..Standard error was +/-1.4 years for boys and +/-1.2 years for girls. When the age of the children remained completely unknown, the best estimates were provided by teeth 43, 47, 46 and 44 from boys and teeth 44, 47 and 43 from girls...
- The chronology of third molar mineralization in the Austrian population--a contribution to forensic age estimation
Department of Anthropology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Forensic Sci Int 169:161-7. 2007
..2%). For medicolegal purposes the likelihood of whether an Austrian individual is older than 18 years or not was determined...
- Intra- and interobserver error of the Greulich-Pyle method as used on a Danish forensic sample
Section of Forensic Pathology, Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Frederik d 5 s Vej 11, DK 2100 Ø Copenhagen, Denmark
Forensic Sci Int 179:242.e1-6. 2008
..The final age statement should also address the problems of reference populations...
- Dental development in subjects with thalassemia major
Abdalla M Hazza'a
Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Surgery of the Faculty of Dentistry at the Jordan University of Science and Technology in Irbid, Jordan
J Contemp Dent Pract 7:63-70. 2006
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the dental development of patients with ss-thalassemia major and to compare it with unaffected children...
- Inter-observer variation in methodologies involving the pubic symphysis, sternal ribs, and teeth
Erin H Kimmerle
Department of Anthropology, University of South Florida 4202 E Fowler Avenue SOC 107, Tampa, FL 33620, USA
J Forensic Sci 53:594-600. 2008
..Through this investigation it appears the problem lies in the qualitative nature of broad descriptive phase categories, which contain multiple skeletal features and traits that are open to interpretation...
- Degradation of biomolecules in artificially and naturally aged teeth: implications for age estimation based on aspartic acid racemization and DNA analysis
Reimer C Dobberstein
Institut für Rechtsmedizin des Universitätsklinikums Düsseldorf, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 179:181-91. 2008
..However, after large PMI and/or extreme postmortem conditions age estimation based on AAR and genetic analyses lose their reliability...
- Age estimation
Institute of Legal Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hittorfstr 18, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 165:178-81. 2007
..In addition, ethical and medico-legal aspects as well as issues relating to quality assurance are discussed...
- Studies on the progress of third-molar mineralisation in a Black African population
Institut fur Rechtsmedizin, Universitatsmedizin Berlin Charite, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Homo 57:209-17. 2006
..In comparison to White probands, the Black African sample showed a tendency to achieve the mineralisation stages earlier. We would recommend using population-specific standards for age determination purposes...
- Identification and analysis of human remains recovered from wells from the 1991 War in Croatia
Department of Archaeology, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, A Kovacica 5, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Forensic Sci Int 171:37-43. 2007
..There is a significantly higher frequency of entrance gunshot wounds to the back of the head, suggestive of execution style murders, in the well series...
- Forensic dentistry: 1. Identification of human remains
Iain A Pretty
Dental School and Hospital, Manchester, UK
Dent Update 34:621-2, 624-6, 629-30 passim. 2007
..CLINICAL RELEVANCE: The purpose of this review is to describe the techniques employed by forensic dentists to identify human remains and also to provide details of some of the novel developments within this area...
- Dental age assessment (DAA): a simple method for children and emerging adults
G J Roberts
King s College London Dental Institute, Bessemer Road, London, SE5 9RS
Br Dent J 204:E7; discussion 192-3. 2008
..This study extends the use of defined tooth development stages (TDSs) to include third molars...
- Estimating age in Maori, Pacific Island, and European children from New Zealand
Department of Oral Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Forensic Sci 53:401-4. 2008
..Our analysis also shows that population divergence is most marked after the age of 9 years, with a peak difference seen at age 10...
- Studies of the chronological course of wisdom tooth eruption in a Japanese population
Institute of Legal Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Turmstrasse 21, 10559 Berlin, Germany
Forensic Sci Int 174:203-6. 2008
- [Forensic stomatology as independent division of forensic medicine]
G A Pashinian
Sud Med Ekspert 51:29-33. 2008
..A possibility of identification of sex, age, ethno-racial affiliation using peculiarities of structure of dental-jaw system was presented. A question connected with coverage of this problem in pages of "Forensic examination"...
- Dental age in Central Poland
2nd Department of Medical Radiology, Medical University of Lublin, ul Dudzinskiego 42, 20 815 Lublin 56, Poland
Forensic Sci Int 174:207-16. 2008
..In conclusion, the developmental standards used by Demirjian are not suitable in the case of the population of children of Central Poland. Therefore, it is necessary to establish new tables for this population...
- Methods for the analysis of hard dental tissues exposed to high temperatures
José Luis Fereira
Area of Forensic Odontology, Institute of Investigation, Faculty of Odontology, University of Zulia, Venezuela
Forensic Sci Int 178:119-24. 2008
..The structural changes observed allow locating a tooth in the studied age groups. Our results show the viability of the applied method for the processing of samples, allowing their preservation as evidence during an indefinite time...
- Third molar development according to chronological age in populations from Spanish and Magrebian origin
Stella Martin-de las Heras
Department of Forensic Medicine and Forensic Odontology, University of Granada, Avenida de Madrid 11, 18071 Granada, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 174:47-53. 2008
..The results suggest that Demirjian stage for tooth 38 can be considered a good indicator of age in all three populations...
- A test of the differential accuracy of the maxillary versus the mandibular dentition in age estimations of immature skeletal remains based on developing tooth length
Hugo F V Cardoso
Departamento de Zoologia e Antropologia Museu Bocage, Museu Nacional de Historia Natural, Rua da Escola Politécnica 58, 1269 102 Lisboa, Portugal
J Forensic Sci 52:434-7. 2007
- Third molar development in the estimation of chronologic age in american blacks as compared with whites
Jane A Blankenship
Department of Periodontology, College of Dentistry, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Forensic Sci 52:428-33. 2007
..The empirical likelihood that an African American male with fully developed M3's is at least 18 years old is 93% and that for African American female is 84%. Corresponding risks for whites are 90% and 93%...
- Usefulness of combining clinical and radiological dental findings for a more accurate noninvasive age estimation
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Augustusplatz 2, D 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Forensic Sci 52:146-50. 2007
..The present study showed that clinical and radiological dental findings could not be used, not even in combination, for accurate age estimation as a single method, but that they could support other methods...
- Reproducibility of radiographic stage assessment of third molars
K S Dhanjal
Paediatric Dentistry, Dental Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Turner Street, London E1 2AD, United Kingdom
Forensic Sci Int 159:S74-7. 2006
..A. Fanning, E.E. Hunt, Age variation of formation stages for ten permanent teeth, J. Dent. Res. 42 (1963) 1490-1502]. CONCLUSIONS: Having clearly defined stages and fewer stages allowed better reproducibility of third molar formation...
- Association between growth stunting with dental development and skeletal maturation stage
Orthodontic Graduate Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Angle Orthod 75:935-40. 2005
..903) and average (r = 0.895) maturers but lower (r = 0.751) for delayed maturers. Growth stunting was not associated with dental development and skeletal maturity stages in Peruvian school children...
- Radiographic evaluation of third molar development in Spanish children and young people
María Victoria Bolaños
Department of Childhood Integrated Dentistry, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Granada, Edificio Máximo, Campus de Cartuja s n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 133:212-9. 2003
..However, the presence/absence of the third molar can be predicted in 82.82% of cases when there is some degree of calcification of mandibular second molars and second premolars...
- Comparative study on the chronology of third molar mineralization in a Japanese and a German population
Institute of Legal Medicine Charité, Humboldt University Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
Leg Med (Tokyo) 5:S256-60. 2003
..In addition to forensic age determination in living persons, the presented reference data can also be used for age estimations of unidentified deceased persons and skeletons...
- The identification of a dismembered human body: a multidisciplinary approach
Tip Fakultesi, Ankara Universitesi, Adli Tip Anabilim Dali, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 137:141-6. 2003
..However, age can be estimated by skeletal, and dental analysis. In this case the performed sex and age analysis lead the research to the selective matching of the missing person's identity...
- [Pneumatic spaces of the zygomatic arch (zygomatic air cell defect) on pantomograms--an aid for age determination and identification]
Reinhard E Friedrich
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Zahn, Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie
Arch Kriminol 215:151-7. 2005
..The presence of ZACD in persons might be valuable for the identification of humans or human remains and for age estimation in addition to other physical and dental findings...
- [Measuring the distance of the wisdom teeth from the occlusal plane as forensic-odontological method for chronological age determination]
Jürgen S Wedl
Aus der Zahnklinik der AOK Rheinland, Dusseldorf
Arch Kriminol 215:77-84. 2005
..The upper molars were retained and root development was incomplete...
- Dental maturity curves in Finnish children: Demirjian's method revisited and polynomial functions for age estimation
Universite de Montreal, Departement d Anthropologie, unité d anthropologie physique, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, H3C3J7 Canada
J Forensic Sci 49:1324-31. 2004
..95 years on average, between 2 and 18 years of age). This suggests that polynomial functions are most useful in forensic sciences, while Demirjian's method is most useful for dental health clinicians...
- Developmental stages of the third molar in Israeli children
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, TelAviv University, TelAviv, Israel
Pediatr Dent 25:373-7. 2003
- Precision and reliability of pulp/tooth area ratio (RA) of second molar as indicator of adult age
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Macerata, Macerata, Italy
J Forensic Sci 49:1319-23. 2004
..A cut-off value of RA* = 0.088 was applied if Tm = 0 and RA* = 0.097 if Tm = 1. The sensitivity of this test was 91% and its specificity 94.5%. The proportion of individuals with correct classifications was 92%...
- Quantification of secondary dentine formation from orthopantomograms--a contribution to forensic age estimation methods in adults
Institute of Legal Medicine, Röntgenstrasse 23, 48149 Munster, Germany
Int J Legal Med 119:27-30. 2005
..913) when an exponential or a logistic regression model was constructed. At the same distance with a linear regression model the coefficient of determination (r(2)) reached 0.839...
- Chronological age determination based on the root development of a single third molar: a retrospective study based on 2513 OPGs
School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Department of Orthodontics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Forensic Odontostomatol 21:31-5. 2003
..The results revealed standard deviations similar to those reported in comparable publications and even to those calculated with other skeletal age calculation techniques...
- Forensic age estimation in living subjects: the ethnic factor in wisdom tooth mineralization
Institute of Legal Medicine Charité, Humboldt University of Berlin, Hannoversche Strasse 6, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Int J Legal Med 118:170-3. 2004
..To enhance the accuracy of forensic age estimates based on wisdom tooth mineralization we recommend the use of population-specific standards...
- [The impact of wisdom teeth topography on chronology of root formation--forensic consequence for forensic-odontologic age estimation of adolescents and young adults. Radiographic investigations using orthopantomography]
Reinhard E Friedrich
Aus der Klinik und Poliklinik für Zahn, Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie Nordwestdeutsche Kieferklinik
Arch Kriminol 216:15-35. 2005
..Thereby, the investigation could contribute to age estimation efforts that are carried out on persons with an unknown age and where it is of great importance to precisely determine a person's age, e. g. the age of 18 years or older...
- New forensic approach to age determination in children based on tooth eruption
Service d Odontologie, UF 1850 Hôpital Nord, Chemin des Bourrely, 13915 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Forensic Sci Int 132:49-56. 2003
..The proposed equations proved to be efficient just like Demirjian's method used as a reference today, and permit age estimation till 20 years of age...
- [Prosthetic restorations, dental root fillings and periodontal bone resorptions as a forensic-odontologic aid for determining the age above 18 years: A radiographic study of orthopantomograms from a group of teenagers and yount adults]
Reinhard E Friedrich
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Zahn, Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie Nordwestdeutsche Kieferklinik
Arch Kriminol 216:166-80. 2005
..g. for legal and anthropological purposes. The aim of this study was to determine whether the evaluation of such findings on radiographs correlates with the chronological age in teenagers and young adults...
- [Decayed, filled and missing teeth as a forensic-odontologic aid for determining the age above 18 years: A radiographic study of orthopantomograms from a group of teenagers and young adults]
Reinhard E Friedrich
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Zahn, Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie Nordwestdeutsche Kieferklinik
Arch Kriminol 216:129-49. 2005
..g. for legal and anthropological purposes. The aim of this study was to determine whether the evaluation of these findings on radiographs correlates with the chronological age in teenagers and young adults...
- [Determination of dental age]
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculte de Medecine, Ecole de Medecine Dentaire, Stomatologie et Chirurgie Maxillo faciale Service d Odontologie légale, Kapucijnenvoer 7, B 3000 Louvain
Rev Belge Med Dent (1984) 60:189-202. 2005
..That is the only way in order to try and establish reliable dental age estimations. In particular, a special chapter is attributed to the complex problem of determining the age of majority...
- [Tooth eruption times of permanent teeth in male and female adolescents in Niedersachsen]
Jürgen S Wedl
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Zahn, Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie Nordwestdeutsche Kieferklinik des Universitätsklinikums Hamburg Eppendorf
Arch Kriminol 213:84-91. 2004
..This first investigation on a population of Lower Saxony revealed a change in the eruption sequence of permanent teeth. The findings are relevant for dental treatment planning and should be reconfirmed at certain intervals...
- Radiographic survey of third molar development in relation to chronological age among Japanese juveniles
Division of Forensic Sciences, Department of Social Medicine, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, Akita 010, Japan
J Forensic Sci 49:534-8. 2004
..We determined the likelihood that a Japanese youth is older than the relevant age of 18 as defined by legislation in the United States...
- Evaluation of chronological age based on third molar development in the Spanish population
José L Prieto
Laboratory of Forensic Anthropology and Odontology, Instituto Anatómico Forense, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Legal Med 119:349-54. 2005
..Third molar maturity takes place earlier in the Spanish than French-Canadian, Scandinavian, American, German, Japanese and South African populations and is more similar to US Hispanics in root development...
- The application of Kvaal's dental age calculation technique on panoramic dental radiographs
Department of Forensic Odontology, School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 7, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Forensic Sci Int 153:208-12. 2005
..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate whether this approach could be feasible and could lead to statistically sound results with adequate repeatability when applied on panoramic radiographs...
- Dental age estimation in Japanese individuals combining permanent teeth and third molars
Department of Oral Health Sciences, KU Leuven and Dentistry, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium
J Forensic Odontostomatol 30:34-9. 2012
..Combining information from the third molars and permanent teeth was not providing clinically significant improvement of age predictions based on permanent teeth information alone...
- Age estimation by racemization method in teeth: application of aspartic acid, glutamate, and alanine
Department of Biochemistry, Akita University School of Medicine, Akita, Japan
J Forensic Sci 55:701-5. 2010
..As the process does not require additional separation steps, the method can be easily adapted to existing protocols...
- Postmortem CT investigation of skeletal and dental maturation of the fetuses and newborn infants: a serial case study
Department of Legal Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, Asahi machi 1 4 3, Abeno, Osaka, 545 8585, Japan
Forensic Sci Med Pathol 8:351-7. 2012
..The developmental stage of deciduous teeth was also clearly identified. PM-CT was useful to evaluate the physical maturity of infants...
- The third molar as an age marker in adolescents: new approach to age evaluation
Department of Stomatology, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague and General University Hospital in Prague, Prague 2, Czech Republic
J Forensic Sci 57:1323-8. 2012
..The calculation of age according to the mean of stages of all third molars could lead to the underestimation of age. No intergender differences were found. Age determination using third molars could be used for forensic purposes...
- Reliability of third molar development for age estimation in a Texas Hispanic population: a comparison study
Kathleen A Kasper
J Forensic Sci 54:651-7. 2009
..Prediction tables for minimum and maximum age for an observed stage (e.g., if a female maxillary third molar is stage F it means she is older than 13 years) for each sex-jaw group were calculated...
- Tooth cementum annulation method: accuracy and applicability
Institut for Rechtsmedizin, Uniklinikum Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Front Oral Biol 13:184-9. 2009
..Due to the conflicting results on the accuracy of the TCA technique this method should be used for age estimation only in association with the macroscopic examination...
- Oral findings in Carpenter syndrome
Community Health Sheffield, NHS Trust, UK
Int J Paediatr Dent 11:352-60. 2001
..We have also shown that the marked delay in emergence of teeth is associated more with problems of tooth eruption, possibly related to the bony abnormalities, than to a generalized delay in dental development...
- Multiple supernumerary teeth in the maxillary canine and mandibular premolar regions: a case in the postpermanent dentition
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka, Japan
Int J Paediatr Dent 17:304-8. 2007
..Most cases occur singly, with bilateral occurrence in the maxillary canine regions very rare in children with no other associated diseases or syndromes...
- Testing the Demirjian and the international Demirjian dental aging methods on a mixed ancestry urban American subadult sample from Detroit, MI
Nicole M Burt
Department of Anthropology, Michigan State University, 355 Baker Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
J Forensic Sci 56:1296-301. 2011
..The results indicate that while the Demirjian method accurately estimates age, caution must be used with the method. Further research is needed to determine whether the international Demirjian method can be used for forensics in the U.S...
- [Role of radiology in forensic dentistry]
Pesqui Odontol Bras 15:263-8. 2001
- A comparison of the USDA ossification-based maturity system to a system based on dentition
T E Lawrence
Division of Agriculture, West Texas A and M University, Canyon 79016-0001, USA
J Anim Sci 79:1683-90. 2001
- A new method of age estimation based on the changes in human non-collagenous proteins from dentin
Institute of Chemical Technology, Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology, Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Technicka 5, 16628 Praha 6, Czech Republic
Forensic Sci Int 156:245-9. 2006
..3 min was chosen and his enlarging area showed a linear correlation with increasing age. Although the linear correlation with age was proved, the scattering of values decreases the usefulness of the proposed method for age estimation...
- The usefulness of dental and cervical maturation stages in New Zealand children for Disaster Victim Identification
Faculty of Dentistry, Sir John Walsh Research Institute, University of Otago, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Forensic Sci Med Pathol 8:101-8. 2012
..Ideally in a DVI situation, both the methods of Demirjian and Cameriere, together with CVM, should be employed in the ageing of individuals suspected of being between 7 and 16 years...