Summary: A dental specialty concerned with the diagnosis and surgical treatment of disease, injuries, and defects of the human oral and maxillofacial region.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- A survey of dentists in the United States regarding a specialty in craniofacial painH Clifton Simmons
Department of Dentistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, USA
Cranio 22:72-6. 2004..6% of dentists who regularly treat craniofacial pain favor a specialty, while 76% of those who do not treat such patients favor the specialty. The data presented here advocate development of a dental specialty in craniofacial pain...
- Survey of the use of hyperbaric oxygen by maxillofacial oncologists in the UKA N Kanatas
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:219-25. 2005..Most consultants were unaware of the method of delivery of HBO. This survey suggests that most surgeons consider HBO to be part of the management of osteoradionecrosis, but their knowledge about delivery is weak and protocols vary...
- Telemedicine in oral surgery and maxillofacial trauma: a descriptive accountP Brownrigg
INSITE Consultancy, Inc, South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Telemed J E Health 10:27-31. 2004..The telemedicine system augmented the overall success of the Federation model. New uses for telemedicine within the OMFS service soon developed...
- Trends in oral surgery in England and Wales 1991-2000D K Dhariwal
Dental School, Heath Park, Cardiff
Br Dent J 192:639-45. 2002To investigate trends in oral surgery in England and Wales 1991-2000.
- Opinions and attitudes of the UK's GDPs and specialists in oral surgery, oral medicine and surgical dentistry on oral cancer screeningO Kujan
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Oral Dis 12:194-9. 2006..two broad areas of oral cancer awareness and management of patients at risk of oral cancer by specialists in oral surgery, oral medicine, surgical dentistry and general dental practitioners (GDPs) in the UK...
- Laser applications in oral surgery and implant dentistryHerbert Deppe
Department of Oral and Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675, Munchen, Germany
Lasers Med Sci 22:217-21. 2007Lasers have been used for many years in oral surgery and implant dentistry. In some indications, laser treatment has become state of the art as compared to conventional techniques...
- Comparison of clinical outcome of periapical surgery in endodontic and oral surgery units of a teaching dental hospital: a retrospective studyS Rahbaran
Department of Conservative Dentistry, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 91:700-9. 2001..this retrospective study were (1) to compare the outcome of periapical surgery performed in endodontic and in oral surgery units of a teaching dental hospital and (2) to evaluate the influence of factors affecting outcome...
- Evidence of aerosolised floating blood mist during oral surgeryK Ishihama
First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Suita, Osaka, Japan
J Hosp Infect 71:359-64. 2009..In the present study, we investigated whether blood-contaminated aerosol was present in a room where oral surgery was performed with high speed instruments...
- Practice patterns of oral and maxillofacial surgeons in Australia: 1990 and 2000D S Brennan
AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:598-605. 2004....
- Service provision by patient and visit characteristics in Australian oral and maxillofacial surgery: 1990 to 2000D S Brennan
AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, Faculty of Health Sciences The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:700-8. 2004..However, the distribution of services remained relatively stable over time...
- Urgent care in the dental school setting: analysis of current environment and future challenges in emergency dental educationKaren K Tiwana
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and General Dentistry, University of North Carolina School of Dentistry, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
J Dent Educ 71:331-8. 2007..In addition, access to emergency dental care has become increasingly difficult for indigent populations due to lack of state-supported funds; further exploration of sources of external funding for such care is warranted...
- Digital radiography: a survey of dentists in Hawai'iDaniel T Brady
Hawaii Dent J 38:10, 12-3. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine the prevalence of digital radiography among dentists in Hawai'i and report their experiences using it...
- Attitudes to biopsy procedures in general dental practiceN Diamanti
Unit of Oral Medicine, The University Dental Hospital of Manchester
Br Dent J 192:588-92. 2002..To investigate biopsy procedures in general dental practice...
- Influence of NICE guidelines on removal of third molars in a region of the UKD S Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Edgbaston, Birmingham B152TH, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:504-6. 2006..Disease-free wisdom teeth made up a mean of only 6% of all referrals...
- Internal medicine education in dentistry: knowledge required varies according to dental specialtyYoshiko Miyatake
Department of Internal Medicine, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Eur J Dent Educ 8:18-23. 2004..There is, however, little awareness of the importance of internal medicine at dental schools in Japan...
- Tobacco cessation services in dental offices. Are we doing all we can?Olapeju M Simoyan
N Y State Dent J 68:34-40. 2002....
- Oral surgeons and the scope of dental practiceDan Schulte
Michigan Dental Association, USA
J Mich Dent Assoc 90:16. 2008
- Evaluation of a pilot hands-on course in surgical dentistry for primary care dental practitioners in OxfordshireJeyanthi H John
Cherwell Vale Primary Care Trust, Oxfordshire
Prim Dent Care 10:119-23. 2003..To evaluate the impact of a course in surgical dentistry on the confidence of 32 general dental practitioners, each of whom attended a one-day hands-on course...
- Determining factors for implant referral ratesRoger P Levin
Implant Dent 11:312-4. 2002..It is also important to emphasize to patients that the quality of life far outweighs the differential in fees...
- Radiographic evaluation of cases referred for surgical endodonticsH Doornbusch
Department of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Int Endod J 35:472-7. 2002..The aim of this study is to test the hypothesis that more patients with failed root-canal treatment or other endodontic problems are referred for periradicular surgery rather than nonsurgical re-treatment...
- Use of imaging guides in preimplant tomographyDov M Almog
University of Rochester Eastman, Department of Dentistry, NY 14620, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 93:483-7. 2002..The specific aim of this study was to test the hypothesis that specialists are more likely to use some form of cross-sectional imaging in conjunction with imaging guides during the preoperative assessment of dental implant procedures...
- A survey assessing the impact of a hospital-based general practice residency program on dentists and dental practiceAsif Tejani
Department of Dentistry, Vancouver Hospital, BC, Canada
Spec Care Dentist 22:16-22. 2002..Practice characteristics suggested enhanced clinical skills in oral surgery, periodontics, emergency dental care, and oral medicine/pathology in those completing the hospital program...
- The influence of self-deception and impression management upon self-assessment in oral surgeryA W Evans
Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London
Br Dent J 198:765-9; discussion 755. 2005..To see if poor self-assessment of surgical performance during removal of mandibular third molars is influenced by self-deception (lack of insight) and impression management (trying to convey a favourable impression)...
- Teaching alternatives to the standard inferior alveolar nerve block in dental education: outcomes in clinical practiceThomas M Johnson
US Army Peridontics Residency, Tingay Dental Clinic, Building 320, Fort Gordon, GA 30905, USA
J Dent Educ 71:1145-52. 2007..No significant increase in current primary utilization of the Akinosi technique was found...
- Digital radiography in dentistry: a survey of Indiana dentistsJ N Brian
Department of Oral Pathology, Medicine and Radiology, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 1121 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5186, USA
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 36:18-23. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the number of Indiana dental practices that utilize digital radiography and to identify the reasons for using or not using digital radiography...
- [Dentoalveolar surgery for the dentist: removal of teeth and root tips]J Jansma
Afdeling Mondziekten, Kaakchirurgie en Bijzondere Tandheelkunde, Academisch Ziekenhuis Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 111:128-32. 2004..Presurgical management, removal of singlerooted and multirooted teeth, woundcare and postoperative management are the subjects covered...
- Knowledge of paediatric dentistry by recently-qualified general dentists: a pilot studyJ Foley
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Dundee Dental Hospital, Dundee, UK
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 8:167-70. 2007..To determine an overview of opinions and knowledge of paediatric dentistry amongst a group of recently-qualified dentists working within the Scottish Hospital Dental Service...
- Rating of statements in an internal course evaluation: comparison between different groups of assessorsJan Elen
Educational Support Office, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Dent Educ 6:64-8. 2002..However, the study also indicated that some caution should be exercised when 'external' teachers are included in the evaluation process...
- A Boomer specialty awaits a generational tsunamiLeon A Assael
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1001-2. 2006
- The Alaska experiment: examining its potential impact on oral surgical careLeon A Assael
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1563-4. 2008
- [Perception of maxillofacial surgery and stomatology in France]C Herlin
Service de Stomatologie, chirurgie maxillofaciale et chirurgie plastique reconstructrice et esthétique, Hopital Lapeyronie, Montpellier, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 109:20-7. 2008..A study was made on the model of two studies made in 1994 and 2005 in Great Britain and one in 1996 in the United States...
- Perception of oral maxillofacial surgery by health-care professionalsN S Rocha
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Getulio Vargas Hospital, Recife, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:41-6. 2008..On the basis of the questionnaire responses, a good level of knowledge of the scope of OMFS was found. In order to ensure the correct referral of all patients, the specialty needs to broaden its horizons...
- Dimensions of good work for employees in oral and maxillofacial surgery in SwedenGöran Pilgård
Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Sweden
Swed Dent J 31:147-54. 2007..The employees of OMFS clinics in Sweden emphasized free, influential, and intellectually stimulating work, but the discrepancy between ideal and reality was rather wide. Three factors of work environment could be established...
- Specialty and sex as predictors of depression in dentistsSarah Mathias
College of Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60612, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 136:1388-95. 2005..Because depression is harmful to dentists and raises quality-of-care issues, they should be educated to help them recognize depression and encouraged to seek treatment...
- Three-dimensional computer graphics for surgical procedure learning: Web three-dimensional application for cleft lip repairMasahiro Kobayashi
Faculty of Nursing and Medical Care, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 43:266-71. 2006..However, this method cannot reflect the advantages offered by specific surgical procedures. To solve this problem, we used the benefits offered by 3D computer graphics (3D-CG) and 3D animation...
- Is there a need for a common framework of dental specialties in Europe?M Sanz
University Complutense of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Dent Educ 12:138-43. 2008....
- Special programs for special interests: The University of Texas Dental Branch at HoustonJohn R Ludington
The University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, USA
Tex Dent J 122:238-44. 2005
- Audit for extraoral radiographic examinations in a digital departmentA Wenzel
Department of Oral Radiology, School of Dentistry, University of Aarhus, Aarhus C, Denmark
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 34:228-30. 2005..To investigate whether extraoral radiographs requested by clinicians were actually viewed by the clinicians after recording...
- An analysis of oral surgical dental visits by provider type, 1996Richard J Manski
Department of Oral Health Care Delivery, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:687-91. 2002..This study examines the roles that socioeconomic and racial factors play in deciding whether a generalist or oral and maxillofacial surgeon provides routine exodontia care in a community...
- Oral surgical handpiece use time parametersHoward W Roberts
Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:957-60. 2005..To evaluate the clinical usage time parameters of handpieces used in oral surgical procedures...
- Illinois dental anesthesia and sedation survey for 2006William G Flick
Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Prog 54:52-8. 2007..Respondents reported that 30 patients required transfer to a hospital but suffered no long-term morbidity. Other practice characteristics were detailed...
- Early-phase dental students' motivations and expectations concerning the study and profession of dentistryR Lalloo
Department of Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Limpopo, Medunsa Campus, South Africa
SADJ 63:216-20. 2008..Orthodontics and Maxillofacial & Oral Surgery were the most popular specialities of choice...
- Psychosocial work environment related health in Swedish oral and maxillofacial surgery in comparison with other human service workersGöran Pilgård
Department of Oral Public Health, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Sweden
Swed Dent J 32:27-34. 2008..The women among OMFS employees felt worse than the men. Three factors of symptoms could be established, i.e. psychosomatic troubles, somatic troubles, and muscle and joint troubles...
- Preparing for a career in oral and maxillofacial surgery: a survey of dentists at medical schoolsC Maciver
PRHO, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:516-9. 2005..Seventy-four students replied. The most common time from graduating from dental school to returning to medical school was 36 months. Of the 74 respondents 50 (68%) wrote that they intended to return to oral and maxillofacial surgery...
- The posterior superior alveolar injection technique: a report on technique variations and complicationsStanton D Harn
Department of Oral Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Dentistry, Lincoln, USA
Gen Dent 50:544-50; quiz 551-2. 2002..A historic injection complication classification system is presented along with a management strategy based upon a review of reported provider experiences and treatment suggestions...
- Current state of training for implant dentistry in Europe: a questionnaire-based surveyChristoph Vasak
Department of Oral Surgery, Bernhard Gottlieb School of Dentistry, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:following 668. 2007..The present questionnaire-based survey was designed to shed light on the current state of implant training, any points of criticism and the need for a standardized training format in Europe...
- Reducing failures to communicate: a procedure-based approach to pre-surgical treatment planning. InterviewJeff Carlson
Continuing Medical Education, Lifecore Biomedical, 1819 Park Ridge Circle, Chaska, MN 55318, USA
Dent Implantol Update 13:89-96. 2002
- The changing realities of the team approach to implant dentistry. InterviewGerald Niznick
Implant Direct, LLC, USA
Dent Implantol Update 18:9-13. 2007
- [A tooth located in a mandibular fracture line. Treatment by oral- and maxillofacial surgeons in The Netherlands]E L Donker
Universitair Medisch Centrum St Radboud, Nijmegen
Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd 115:244-50. 2008....
- Orthodontists' and surgeons' opinions on the role of third molars as a cause of dental crowdingSteven J Lindauer
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0566, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 132:43-8. 2007..Despite a substantial body of literature refuting an association between third molar eruption and crowding of the anterior dentition, the issue continues to be controversial...
- Quality managements and work environment in oral and maxillofacial surgery in SwedenGöran Pilgård
Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Sweden
Swed Dent J 30:117-22. 2006..There was no such difference concerning the importance of quality work. Dental nurses thought that the quality was more important for the working situation concerning the physical environment than did the maxillo-facial surgeons...
- Perception by the public and medical profession of oral and maxillofacial surgery--has it changed after 10 years?Sonna N Ifeacho
Birmingham Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:289-93. 2005..There has been some improvement in the perception of the role of OMFS, but only 34/100 of the public had heard of OMFS and none expected OMFS to treat patients who were unhappy with their facial appearance...
- Awareness of the specialty of oral and maxillofacial surgery among health care professionals in Pondicherry, IndiaKrishnaraj Subhashraj
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2330-4. 2008..This study also aims to highlight the perception of the medical professionals and what they think an oral and maxillofacial surgeon does...
- Development of a structured clinical operative test (SCOT) in the assessment of practical ability in the oral surgery undergraduate curriculumM Macluskey
Unit of Oral Surgery and Medicine, Dundee University Dental School, Park Place, Dundee DD1 4HN, Scotland, UK
Br Dent J 196:225-8. 2004Competence in undergraduate oral surgery involves assessment of the students' knowledge, practical skill and attitude...
- Computer-mediated instructional video: a randomised controlled trial comparing a sequential and a segmented instructional video in surgical hand washM Schittek Janda
Department of Periodontology and Centre for Educational Research and Technology, Centre for Oral Health Sciences, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Eur J Dent Educ 9:53-8. 2005..Video-based instructions for clinical procedures have been used frequently during the preceding decades...
- Another viewMehran Hossaini
J Am Dent Assoc 133:20, 22. 2002
- The usefulness of stereomodels in maxillofacial surgical managementLop Keung Chow
Discipline of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2260-8. 2007..This retrospective study aimed to determine the usefulness of stereomodels in various maxillofacial surgical treatments...
- A survey of antibiotic prescribing by maxillofacial consultants for dental extractions following radiotherapy to the oral cavityA N Kanatas
Liverpool University Dental Hospital
Br Dent J 192:157-60. 2002To analyse the antibiotic prescribing trends for exodontia and minor oral surgery in patients with a history of radiotherapy. Also, to evaluate the use of hyperbaric oxygen as a separate modality in the prevention of osteoradionecrosis.
- Prophylactic third molar extractions: US dental school departments' recommendations from 1998/99 to 2004/05T Roma Jasinevicius
Comprehensive Care Department, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Quintessence Int 39:165-76. 2008..To review the recommendations by dental faculties regarding prophylactic removal of third molars (PR-3M) and to determine if the recommendations at institutions differed and whether there have been changes since 1998/99...
- Comparison of patient and surgeon assessments of pain in oral and maxillofacial surgeryShahrokh C Bagheri
Atlanta Oral and Facial Surgery, GA 30339, USA
J Calif Dent Assoc 36:43-50. 2008..In this study, the authors prospectively compare patients' subjective complaints of pain using the visual analog scale to the surgeons' assessment of pain using standard history and physical examination findings...
- Opinions of UK specialists about terminology, diagnosis, and treatment of atypical facial pain: a surveyA A Elrasheed
Almana General Hospital, P O Box 311, Al Khobar 31952, Saudi Arabia
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:566-71. 2004..No unified pattern of referral between different units was found. Treatment was mainly by antidepressant and anticonvulsant drugs, and counselling...
- Prevention of wrong-site tooth extraction: clinical guidelinesJanice S Lee
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0440, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1793-9. 2007....
- Opportunistic and reprehensibleN Ali
Br Dent J 200:359. 2006
- Fear: a surgical problem, a surgeon's choiceLeon A Assael
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:771-2. 2004
- Something to contributeM Macluskey
Br Dent J 201:69. 2006
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of minor salivary glands: a clinical study of 16 cases and review of the literatureK Triantafillidou
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dentistry School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Oral Dis 12:364-70. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical outcomes of MEC of minor salivary glands in a group of 16 patients, who were treated in our clinic, and to discuss the management of this carcinoma...
- [Results of treatment of orbital fractures with polydioxanone sheet]Marcin Kos
Klinika Chirurgii Szczekowo Twarzowej
Polim Med 36:31-6. 2006..Because of that introduction of new materials for orbital reconstruction seems to be desirable. The aim of the work was to evaluate usefulness of the polydioxanone sheets (PDS) as a reconstructive material for orbital floor fractures...
- Management of adenoid cystic carcinoma of minor salivary glandsKatherine Triantafillidou
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1114-20. 2006..This clinical review article is intended to analyze the outcome of management of a group of 22 ACC patients, who were treated in our clinic...
- Characteristics of maxillofacial injuries resulting from road traffic accidents--a 5 year review of the case records from Department of Maxillofacial Surgery in Katowice, PolandPiotr Malara
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Silesian Medical Academy, Katowice, Poland
Head Face Med 2:27. 2006....
- Mandibular condylar fractures and acute atlanto-axial subluxation. Part 1 - A new clinical and nosographic evidenceT Cutilli
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of L Aquila School of Medicine, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 58:187-98. 2009..The aim of this study was to analyze the acute repercussions of condylar mandibular fractures on occipital-atlanto-axial joint...
- Utilization of tracheostomy in craniomaxillofacial trauma at a level-1 trauma centerEric P Holmgren
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2005-10. 2007....
- Trends in antibiotic resistance in Prevotella species from patients of the University Hospital of Maxillofacial Surgery, Sofia, Bulgaria, in 2003-2009Lyudmila Boyanova
Department of Medical Microbiology, Medical University of Sofia, Zdrave Street 2, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
Anaerobe 16:489-92. 2010..The evolution of penicillin resistance in Prevotella strains was highly dynamic...
- [Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the major and minor salivary glands. Retrospective analysis of 74 patients]H Kokemüller
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 7:94-101. 2003..In this study we give a clinical review of our experience with adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) and compare our results with those reported in the literature...
- Traumatic dental injuries and Alpine skiingR Gassner
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Endod Dent Traumatol 16:122-7. 2000..5-fold risk during lift accidents. Dental injuries occurred in about 2% of all injured skiers. Dental health professionals should be aware of the high incidence and the distribution of dental trauma and facial injuries caused by skiing...
- Motorcycle accident is the main cause of maxillofacial injuries in the Penang Mainland, MalaysiaHasnah Hashim
Advanced Medical and Dental Institute, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang, Malaysia
Dent Traumatol 27:19-22. 2011..The aim of this study was to determine the profiles including the causes of maxillofacial injuries seen in an urban government hospital in the mainland of Penang State, Malaysia...
- Anaerobic bacteria in 118 patients with deep-space head and neck infections from the University Hospital of Maxillofacial Surgery, Sofia, BulgariaLyudmila Boyanova
Department of Microbiology, Medical University of Sofia, University Hospital of Maxillofacial Surgery, Sofia, Bulgaria
J Med Microbiol 55:1285-9. 2006..In conclusion, the start of empirical treatment could influence the frequency or rate of isolation of Fusobacterium species. The involvement of the Bacteroides fragilis group in some head and neck infections should be considered...
- Etiology and pattern of maxillofacial injuries in the Armed Forces of PakistanShafi Ullah Khan
Mobile Dental Unit, Bahawalnagar Cantt
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 17:94-7. 2007..To determine the etiology and pattern of maxillofacial injuries in the Armed Forces of Pakistan in terms of anatomical distribution of injuries...
- [Etiology of maxillofacial trauma--a 10-year survey at the Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer]Tal Yoffe
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Harefuah 147:192-196, 280. 2008..However, few reports, representing continuous long-term data on maxillofacial fractures in the state of Israel, are to be found...
- The role of surgical audit in improving patient management; nasal haemorrhage: an audit studyTahwinder Upile
Royal National Institute of Throat Nose and Ear Hospital, London, UK
BMC Surg 7:19. 2007..Literature was reviewed and best practice identified. Regional consultation and feedback with regard to prospective changes and local applicability of areas of improved practice mutually agreed upon with involved providers of care...
- The use of rapid prototyping in the preoperative planning of distraction osteogenesis of the cranio-maxillofacial skeletonJules Poukens
Department for Cranio Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Comput Aided Surg 8:146-54. 2003..The clinical accuracy and utility of stereolithographic models in cranio-maxillofacial distraction osteogenesis of the midface, mandible and alveolar ridge will be demonstrated...
- [Complications of surgical treatment of mandibular prognathism]Ewelina Gaszyńska
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oncological Surgery, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Pol Merkur Lekarski 25:27-31. 2008....
- The surgical treatment of central giant cell granuloma of the mandibleAnwar B Bataineh
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, PO Box 3030, Irbid, Jordan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:756-61. 2002..The objective of this study was to report and evaluate our experience in the surgical treatment of mandibular central giant cell granuloma by resection without continuity defect and peripheral ostectomy...
- Influence of calcium chloride and aprotinin in the in vivo biological performance of a composite combining biphasic calcium phosphate granules and fibrin sealantLaurent Le Guehennec
INSERM, EMI 9903 Materials of Biological Interest, Nantes University, Dental Faculty, Place A Ricordeau, BP 84215, 44042 Nantes Cedex, France
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1489-95. 2007..Further studies will be necessary to determine the minimal amount of antifibrinolytic agent (aprotinin) necessary to allow the same level of osteogenic activity as the TricOs-fibrin glue composite...
- An investigation into the comparative efficacy of soluble aspirin and solid paracetamol in postoperative pain after third molar surgeryR A Seymour
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, England R A
Br Dent J 194:153-7; discussion 149. 2003..To compare the efficacy of soluble aspirin 900 mg and paracetamol 1,000 mg in patients with postoperative pain after third molar surgery...
- Tumours and tumour-like lesions of the lower face at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Ghana--an eight year studyGrace E A Parkins
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Ghana Dental School, College of Health Sciences, Korle Bu, Accra, Ghana
World J Surg Oncol 5:48. 2007..We report results from a retrospective study spanning eight years on the frequency, clinical presentation, sites and character of lower face tumours seen in the main referral hospital in Ghana...
- Preserved costal cartilage homograft application for the treatment of temporomandibular joint ankylosisZ Demir
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Social Security Organization Ankara Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:44-51. 2001..Our clinical experience over the past 4 years with the use of preserved homologous costal cartilage grafts as interpositional material has been encouraging...
- [Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Clinical use in treatment of osteomyelitis, osteoradionecrosis and reconstructive surgery of the irradiated mandible]M U Jamil
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, MHH Hannover
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 4:320-3. 2000..It was shown that with HBO we could cure osteomyelitis, osteoradionecrosis and non-healing wounds to a large extent. Grafts which were threatened by infection or insufficient recipient-side healed after the application of HBO...
- Scoring mandibular fractures: a tool for staging diagnosis, planning treatment, and predicting prognosisFrancesco Carinci
Department of DMCCC, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Trauma 66:215-9. 2009..A staging system for classifying MF is of paramount importance to plan surgery, to define prognosis, and to exchange information among trauma centers. In this article, a classification for MF is proposed...
- Facial injuries in skiing. A retrospective study of 549 casesR Gassner
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Sports Med 27:127-34. 1999..We did not observe an increase in the number of skiing accidents causing facial injury in the last 5 years. Facial injuries represented 4% of all skiing injuries, a lower proportion than in other sports...
- Etiology and patterns of facial fractures in the United Arab EmiratesGusztav Klenk
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Tawam Hospital, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
J Craniofac Surg 14:78-84. 2003....
- COX-2 selective inhibitors: a literature review of analgesic efficacy and safety in oral-maxillofacial surgeryAndrea Cicconetti
Clinica Odontoiatrica, Dipartimento di Odontostomatologia, University of Rome, Italy
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:139-46. 2004....
- Propofol without muscle relaxants for conventional or fiberoptic nasotracheal intubation: a dose-finding studyH Andel
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, University of Vienna Austria
Anesth Analg 91:458-61. 2000..The possibility of titrating the propofol dose under assisted ventilation until the vocal cords open during fiberoptic nasotracheal intubation and the better predictability of the required dose favors the fiberoptic approach...
- State of the art of fusion of computed tomography data and optical 3D imagesE Nkenke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
Int J Comput Dent 10:11-24. 2007When three-dimensional imaging is necessary in dentistry, oral surgery or maxillofacial surgery, conventional computed tomography or cone beam computed tomography is chosen regularly. However, there are two obvious drawbacks...
- Maxillofacial fractures in Southern Bulgaria - a retrospective study of 1706 casesAngel Bakardjiev
Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 35:147-50. 2007..The present retrospective study investigated various types, aetiology, complications and methods of treatment of maxillofacial fractures managed in the Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical University, Plovdiv, Bulgaria...
- Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School MD oral and maxillofacial surgery program: a 30-year reviewThomas B Dodson
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and Director of Resident Training, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:62-5. 2004..The purpose of this report is to provide a summary of the first 30 years of the program and to outline plans for its future...
- The forearm flap: assessment of functional and aesthetic outcomes and quality of lifeRaphael Ciuman
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Am J Otolaryngol 28:367-74. 2007..We present the functional and aesthetic outcomes and quality of life (QOL) of our patients who underwent a forearm flap transfer...
- Mandibular condylar fractures and acute atlanto-axial subluxation Part 2 A physiopathological factor for the cervical spine sprainT Cutilli
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of L Aquila School of Medicine, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 58:199-208. 2009..The aim of this study was to analyze the physiopathology of the acute cervical injure in the event of mandibular condylar fractures...
- Cranio-maxillofacial trauma: a 10 year review of 9,543 cases with 21,067 injuriesRobert Gassner
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Innsbruck, Austria
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 31:51-61. 2003..The goal of this study was to assess the effect of the five main causes of accidents resulting in facial injury on the severity of cranio-maxillofacial trauma...
- Epidemiological, clinical, and forensic aspects of chainsaw, circular saw, and grinding saw injuries in the maxillofacial regionVitomir S Konstantinovic
Clinic of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
J Craniofac Surg 21:1029-32. 2010..To avoid these types of injuries, users should be carefully instructed, and attention should be paid to the use of accurately guarded saws and appropriate safety equipment...
- Osteogenic sarcoma of the jaw: a 10-year experienceRui Fernandes
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Jacksonville, FL 32209, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1286-91. 2007..Head and neck OS are associated with a lower metastatic rate than long bone OS, and they have a better 5-year survival rate, ranging between 27% and 84%...
- Facial computed tomography use in trauma patients who require a head computed tomogramEric P Holmgren
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97203, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:913-8. 2004..These patients were divided into 3 groups: those who had a 1) head CT only, 2) head CT and facial CT at the same time, and 3) head CT with the facial CT performed at a later time...
- Addressing Oral Health Disparities in Individuals with Mental Health ProblemsLisa J Heaton; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of the studies in this proposal will lay the groundwork for future interventions to increase access to oral health resources for individuals in underserved populations. ..
- Regeneration of Clinically Relevant Orofacial Tissues in Pre-Clinical ModelsJeremy J Mao; Fiscal Year: 2010..With assistance of a FDA consultant who has previously worked with the PIs, we will plan for first-in-human clinical trials on dental pulp-dentin grafts and facial soft tissue-bone grafts in the present GO grant. ..
- Baylor's Program for Bioengineering Sciences and Translational Research "B-BEST"RENA N D apos SOUZA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Advances in tissue regeneration research will bring about treatments for various kinds of craniofacial maladies that afflict many in the population. ..
- DENTIST SCIENTIST PROGRAM AWARD--INSTITUTIONALChristopher Squier; Fiscal Year: 2003..The Dentist Scientist Program will be administered by a Director and Associate Director, assisted by a Program Advisory Committee and by three external consultants. ..
- Advanced software tools for planning the placement of skeletal fixation hardwareJohn C Magill; Fiscal Year: 2013..Better planning for surgery in the face and other parts of the skeleton will lead to reduced time and cost and improved aesthetic and functional outcomes. ..
- Bone cements for delivery of osteoinductive growth factorsJonathan A Hodges; Fiscal Year: 2011..Growth factors can enhance bone formation but are limited by the lack of optimal carriers. In this application, we propose to test a novel bone cement as a carrier for growth factors. ..
- CHORDA-LINGUAL NERVE INJURY AND CHEMOSENSORY PERFORMANCEJohn Zuniga; Fiscal Year: 1993..Comparisons of global (i.e., whole mouth) threshold and suprathreshold scales of citrate taste intensity will be made to elucidate the effect of unilateral nerve injury on global taste perception...
- INSTITUTIONAL DENTIST SCIENTIST AWARD PROGRAMBjorn Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Training is also available in General Dentistry. Trainees pursuing clinical training in Oral Surgery or Prosthodontic/Implant Dentistry will require a longer time period...
- INSTITUTIONAL DENTIST SCIENTIST AWARDRoland Arnold; Fiscal Year: 1999..All of the departments involved have worked well in the program and enthusiastically support it. ..
- DENTIST-SCIENTIST TRAINING PROGRAM AT UCSFGrayson Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2003..This approach is thought to provide future leadership in the form of dental clinician-scientists in dental medicine. ..
- Tissue Engineering of Temporomandibular Joint CartilageSTEVEN NICOLL; Fiscal Year: 2004..This work will not only have practical applications for maxillofacial surgery, but will also contribute to our knowledge of craniofacial and oral biology. ..
- EFFECTS OF CNS LESIONS ON MASTICATION AND SKULL FORMKENNETH BYRD; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- Continuous, Automated, Mandibular DistractorJOHN MAGILL; Fiscal Year: 2003..The Phase II program will include constructing a complete buried distraction system and testing in a live animal. ..
- AAOMS RESEARCH SUMMIT ON TRANSLATIONAL RESEARCH FROM BENCH TO BEDSIDEANH D contact LE; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This application is to seek support for the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (AAOMS) Meeting to provide an interactive scientific forum for experts from different disciplines. ..
- GRADIENT CALCIUM PHOSPHATE FIBERS FOR ORTHOPEDIC DEVICESYONGREN PENG; Fiscal Year: 2000..These composites may also be useful for maxillofacial surgery and dental applications. ..
- Continuous, Automated, Mandibular Distraction DeviceJOHN MAGILL; Fiscal Year: 2006..Though additional testing will be required, the Phase II work will develop all of the essential components necessary to produce a clinically-useful distractor. ..
- TNF A MEDITATED GENE REGULATION IN HUMAN ORAL CANCERRandy Todd; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- METHODS FOR ANALYZING LONGITUDINAL DATACharles Kowalski; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Reducing the Disproportionate Burden of Orofacial InjuryVivek Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Software Toolkit for Image Guided SurgeryKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dissemination activities will be undertaken with the aim of fostering the use of the toolkit in research and clinical applications. ..
- Robotically Assisted Mouse InterventionsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2008..3. Perform a feasibility study using 10 mice to demonstrate the ability of the robot to biopsy the mouse flank as selected on the MRI images and evaluate the accuracy of the system. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HERPESVIRUSES IN AIDS ASSOCIATED ORAL DISEASEJennifer Webster Cyriaque; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Minimally Invasive Approaches for Craniofacial SurgeryMaria Troulis; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- OR2020 Workshop: Operating Room of the FutureKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..The workshop is currently scheduled to be held from April 16-17, 2004, at Turf Valley Conference Center in Ellicot City, Maryland. ..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- EX VIVO DEVELOPMENT OF TRANSFECTED ORAL MUCOSAL GRAFTSSTEPHEN FEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2009..These types of translational studies are needed to generate new cell based tissue-engineered devices to improve patient care. ..
- INFLAMMATORY BIOMARKERS AND HPV-ASSOCIATED ORAL PRE-CANCERAnh Le; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glucose-dependent Insulinotropic Peptide & Bone TurnoverCarlos Isales; Fiscal Year: 2006..This in turn may signal GIP as a potential hormone target for pharmacologic intervention in bone pathologies such as osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Cranial Suture Development by TGF-Beta and Fibroblast Growth FactorArun Gosain; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will provide mechanistic insights into the regulation of cranial suture development, and help to relate mouse and human models of craniosynostosis. ..
- Brief Focused Treatment for TMD: Mechanisms of ActionMark Litt; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Individualized Assessment and Treatment for AlcoholismMark Litt; Fiscal Year: 2007..These results would have implications for our delivery of treatment, and for the validity of coping skills training for alcohol addiction. ..
- Semi-Parametric Survival Methods in Dental ResearchSung Kiang Chuang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The specific analytic issues addressed are generalizable to patient-oriented dental research as many studies using multiple, correlated observations per patient, i.e. probing depths, tooth loss. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Mfg/Transport Ex Vivo Prod. Oral Mucosa EquivalentsSTEPHEN FEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..The system will be validated in phantom and animal studies. The R33 phase will result in a system that is ready for clinical trials. ..