Genomes and Genes
Summary: "Decayed, missing and filled teeth," a routinely used statistical concept in dentistry.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- Dental caries experience and its relationship to social and behavioural factors among 3-5-year-old children in UgandaS N Kiwanuka
Centre for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:336-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the socio-demographic and behavioural correlates of caries experience and sugar intake patterns among pre-school children in Uganda...
- Validation of the Child Perceptions Questionnaire (CPQ 11-14)L A Foster Page
Department of Oral Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, PO Box 647, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Dent Res 84:649-52. 2005..Children in the worst 25% of the DMFS distribution had higher CPQ(11-14) scores overall and for each of the 4 subscales. The construct validity of the CPQ(11-14) appears to be acceptable...
- Evaluation of oral health-related quality of life among Sudanese schoolchildren using Child-OIDP inventoryNazik M Nurelhuda
Department of Clinical Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:152. 2010..Information on oral health-related quality of life, in addition to clinical measures, is essential for healthcare policy makers to promote oral health resources and address oral health needs...
- Changes in dental caries 1953-2003T M Marthaler
Center for Dentistry, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Caries Res 38:173-81. 2004..For this and other reasons, caries epidemiology will remain an indispensable part of dental public health...
- Introducing the Significant Caries Index together with a proposal for a new global oral health goal for 12-year-oldsD Bratthall
WHO Collaborating Centre, Faculty of Odontology, Carl Gustafs väg 34, SE 214 21 Maimö, Sweden
Int Dent J 50:378-84. 2000..To describe a new index, the 'Significant Caries Index' (SiC Index) with the intention of focusing attention on those individuals with the highest caries scores in each population...
- Social gradients and cumulative effects of income and education on dental health in the Fourth German Oral Health StudySiegfried Geyer
Medical Sociology Unit, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:120-8. 2010..To consider differential effects of income and education on oral health for each indicator separately and in combination. Finally the combined effects of the lowest income level and the lowest level of education were examined...
- Sociobehavioural risk factors in dental caries - international perspectivesPoul Erik Petersen
Oral Health Programme, Department of Chronic Disease and Health Promotion, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:274-9. 2005..In future public health programmes, systematic risk factor assessment may therefore be instrumental in the planning and surveillance of oral health promotion and oral disease intervention programmes...
- Using universal patterns of caries for planning and evaluating dental careA Sheiham
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, UK a sheiham ucl ac uk
Caries Res 44:141-50. 2010..This is true regardless of the presence of fluoride. Any improvement in dental health will cause this effect...
- Caries prevalence and severity, and quality of life in Brazilian 2- to 4-year-old childrenCristina M F Gradella
Faculdade de Macapá, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Macapá, Brazil
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 39:498-504. 2011..The purpose of this study was to assess the impact of caries and severe caries on preschool children's quality of life...
- Association between AMELX polymorphisms and dental caries in KoreansS W Kang
Department of Oral Pathology and Institute of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Oral Dis 17:399-406. 2011..AMELX is the gene coding amelogenin, which is the most important factor for normal enamel development. The aim of this study was to examine the relationship between dental caries and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in AMELX...
- Case definition, aetiology and risk assessment of early childhood caries (ECC): a revisited reviewG Vadiakas
Dept of Paediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Athens, Greece
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 9:114-25. 2008..To provide a review of the existing literature on early childhood caries (ECC) with particular reference on the nomenclature, case definition, epidemiology, etiology and risk assessment...
- Twenty-four month incidence of root caries among a diverse group of adultsG H Gilbert
School of Dentistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Ala 35294 0007, USA
Caries Res 35:366-75. 2001..1) Describe for a diverse sample the 24-month incidence of root caries, and (2) test its association with a broad range of clinical, behavioral, financial, and sociodemographic factors...
- Association between enamel hypoplasia and dental caries in primary second molars: a cohort studyL Hong
Department of Dental Public Health and Behavioral Science, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO 64108 2784, USA
Caries Res 43:345-53. 2009..Enamel hypoplasia appears to be a significant risk factor for caries and should be considered in caries risk assessment...
- Nursing caries, linear hypoplasia, and nursing and weaning habits in Tanzanian infantsM Matee
Department of Microbiology, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 22:289-93. 1994....
- Oral health status of heroin users in a rehabilitation centre in Hubei province, ChinaM Du
Department of Preventive Dentistry, College and Hospital of Stomatology, Hubei Medical University, Wuhan City, PR China
Community Dent Health 18:94-8. 2001..Mucosal lesions were not widely prevalent. Both social factors and characteristics of drug use were related to oral health in this group...
- Pit and fissure sealants in the prevention of dental caries in children and adolescents: a systematic reviewAmir Azarpazhooh
Department of Endodontics, Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
J Can Dent Assoc 74:171-7. 2008..To investigate the evidence for sealants as a means to prevent caries in children and adolescents and, in the presence of suitable supporting evidence, to develop a protocol for the application of sealants...
- Dental health in a group of drug addicts in ItalyI F Angelillo
Institute of Hygiene, Medical School, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 19:36-7. 1991..37 and 1.71, respectively. The poor dental health in this target group indicates the need for more extensive collaboration between the social and dental health care sectors...
- Effect of long-term consumption of milk supplemented with probiotic lactobacilli and fluoride on dental caries and general health in preschool children: a cluster-randomized studyC Stecksen-Blicks
Department of Odontology, Paediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Caries Res 43:374-81. 2009..It is concluded that daily consumption of milk containing probiotic bacteria and fluoride reduced caries in preschool children with a prevented fraction of 75%. Additional beneficial health effects were evident...
- Dental caries in Quebec adults aged 35 to 44 yearsJ M Brodeur
Department of Preventive Medicine, Montreal University, Quebec
J Can Dent Assoc 66:374-9. 2000..The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of dental caries in Quebec adults aged 35 to 44...
- Dental health and disease determinants among 35-year-olds in Oslo, NorwayRasa Skudutyte-Rysstad
Institute of Clinical Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Acta Odontol Scand 67:50-6. 2009..The aim of the present study was to identify non-biological determinants associated with the number of sound teeth (ST) and presence of decayed surfaces (DS) among 35-year-old Oslo citizens...
- PUFA--an index of clinical consequences of untreated dental cariesB Monse
Department of Education, Health and Nutrition Centre, City Division, Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:77-82. 2010..Only limited data are available on the clinical consequences of untreated dental caries because there is no measure to quantify the prevalence and severity of oral conditions resulting from untreated dental caries...
- Dentition of addiction in Queensland: poor dental status and major contributing drugsA S Reece
Southcity Medical Centre, Brisbane, Queensland
Aust Dent J 52:144-9. 2007..Although it is said that drug addiction is associated with poor dental health, there is little research in this area. In particular, there is little work comparing the effects of the different drugs of addiction...
- Caries prediction: a review of the literatureL V Powell
Restorative Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle 98126, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26:361-71. 1998..Bacterial levels are included in the most accurate prediction models. Sociodemographic variables are most important to caries prediction models for young children and older adults...
- Socio-demographic correlates of early childhood caries prevalence and severity in a developing country--South AfricaThomas C Postma
Department of Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Pretoria, 0001, South Africa
Int Dent J 58:91-7. 2008..To describe Early Childhood Caries (ECC) severity in South Africa and examine the association between ECC and socio-demographic factors, area-based measures of sugar consumption and water fluoride levels...
- Deprivation and oral health: a reviewD Locker
Community Dental Health Services Research Unit, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 28:161-9. 2000..Deprivation measures have a major role to play in research that examines features of people and places, and how they promote and/or damage both oral and general health...
- Caries-preventive effect of sodium fluoride mouthrinses: a systematic review of controlled clinical trialsSvante Twetman
Department of Odontology, Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 62:223-30. 2004..The need for further clinical trials to elucidate the effect of FMRs in risk patients and older adults is emphasized...
- A randomised controlled trial of the efficacy of supervised toothbrushing in high-caries-risk childrenM M T Curnow
Tayside NHS Primary Care Trust, Dental Department, Drumhar Health Centre, Perth, Scotland, UK
Caries Res 36:294-300. 2002..In conclusion, high-caries-risk children have been shown to have significantly less caries after participating in a supervised toothbrushing programme with a fluoridated toothpaste...
- Socioeconomic inequalities in the distribution of dental caries in Brazilian preschool childrenChaiana Piovesan
Universidade Federal de Santa Maria UFSM, Rio Grande do Sul, Rua Acampamento 239 01, Santa Maria, RS 97 050 000, Brazil
J Public Health Dent 70:319-26. 2010..This study assessed the inequality in caries distribution and the association between socioeconomic indicators and caries experience of preschool children in a city in Brazil...
- Motivating mothers to prevent caries: confirming the beneficial effect of counselingPhilip Weinstein
Dental Public Health Sciences, University of Washington, School of Dentistry, Seattle, WA 98195 7475, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 137:789-93. 2006..The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of a motivational interviewing (MI) counseling visit with traditional health education for mothers of young children at high risk of developing dental caries...
- Validation of a Chinese version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP)May C M Wong
Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 30:423-30. 2002..To translate the original English version of Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP) into a Chinese version, to validate the translated instrument for use among the elderly in Hong Kong and to derive a Chinese short-form OHIP...
- The long-term effect of a plaque control program on tooth mortality, caries and periodontal disease in adults. Results after 30 years of maintenanceP Axelsson
Department of Periodontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Clin Periodontol 31:749-57. 2004..The biofilm that forms and remains on tooth surfaces is the main etiological factor in caries and periodontal disease. Prevention of caries and periodontal disease must be based on means that counteract this bacterial plaque...
- Predictors of dental caries progression in primary teethA I Ismail
Detroit Center for Research on Oral Health Disparities, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1078, USA
J Dent Res 88:270-5. 2009..The selected risk factors in the final model explained about 20% of the variation in the increment...
- Smoking and caries experience in subjects with various form of periodontal diseases from a teaching hospital clinicR Al-Habashneh
Department of Preventive, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Dent Hyg 7:55-61. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the relationships between aggressive periodontitis (AgP), caries and smoking...
- Prevalence of early childhood caries among very young urban Boston children compared with US childrenMartha E Nunn
Boston University School of Dental Medicine, Department of Health Policy and Health Services Research, 715 Albany, 560, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Public Health Dent 69:156-62. 2009....
- The association of early childhood caries and race/ethnicity among California preschool childrenCaroline H Shiboski
Department of Stomatology, University of California San Francisco, 94143 0422, USA
J Public Health Dent 63:38-46. 2003..This paper explores the role of race/ethnicity in the occurrence of early childhood caries (ECC) among California Head Start (HS) and non-HS preschool children...
- Enhancing oral health via sense of coherence: a cluster-randomized trialO Nammontri
Unit of Dental Public Health, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, UK
J Dent Res 92:26-31. 2013..The findings offer experimental evidence that OHRQoL can be influenced by SOC. SOC may also provide an avenue for oral health promotion (Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ACTRN12612000547842)...
- Dental caries experience of preschool children from the North Brisbane regionK B Hallett
Children s Oral Health Service, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Queensland
Aust Dent J 47:331-8. 2002..To report the dental caries experience of preschool children within the north Brisbane region and to investigate the association between selected social and demographic variables and disease presence...
- Oral health status and oral health behaviour of urban and rural schoolchildren in Southern ThailandP E Petersen
University of Copenhagen, Faculty of Health Sciences, Department for Community Dentistry, Denmark
Int Dent J 51:95-102. 2001....
- Children's oral health in Italy: training and clinical calibration of examiners for the National Pathfinder about caries diseasePaolo Castiglia
Institute of Hygiene and Preventive Medicine, Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Sassari, Italy
Oral Health Prev Dent 5:255-61. 2007..To evaluate the dental status of 12-year-old children in 2004, an epidemiological survey called 'National pathfinder about children's oral health in Italy' was planned. The present paper describes the clinical calibration method...
- Oral status and its association with obesity in Southern Brazilian older peopleJuliana Balbinot Hilgert
Postgraduate Program in Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Gerodontology 26:46-52. 2009..The objective of this study was to investigate whether tooth loss and edentulism that were not rehabilitated with dental prostheses were associated with obesity among elderly in Southern Brazil...
- Dental caries in 0- to 5-year-old Brazilian children: prevalence, severity, and associated factorsSimone Helena Ferreira
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Lutheran University of Brazil, Canoas, Brazil
Int J Paediatr Dent 17:289-96. 2007..This cross-sectional study investigated the prevalence and severity of dental caries and their association with demographic and socio-economic variables in Brazilian preschoolers...
- Taste genes associated with dental cariesS Wendell
Center for Oral Health Research in Appalachia, University of Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Dent Res 89:1198-202. 2010..Statistically significant associations were seen in TAS2R38 and TAS1R2 for caries risk and/or protection...
- Dental health and treatment needs in institutionalized psychiatric patients in ItalyI F Angelillo
Department of Hygiene, University of Reggio Calabria, Catanzaro, Italy
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 23:360-4. 1995..More coordinated efforts between the social and dental care sector must be maintained to serve adequately the need of this disadvantaged group...
- The relationship of enamel defects and caries: a cohort studyA G R Targino
Department of Clinical and Social Dentistry, Federal University of Paraiba, Joao Pessoa, Brazil
Oral Dis 17:420-6. 2011..Is there a relationship between enamel defects and early childhood caries?..
- Dental caries and enamel defects in very low birth weight adolescentsS Nelson
Department of Community Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4905, USA
Caries Res 44:509-18. 2010..The purpose of this study was to examine developmental enamel defects and dental caries in very low birth weight adolescents with high risk (HR-VLBW) and low risk (LR-VLBW) compared to full-term (term) adolescents...
- Children's tooth decay in a public health program to encourage low-income pregnant women to utilize dental carePeter Milgrom
Northwest Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
BMC Public Health 10:76. 2010....
- Dental caries in relation to smoking and the use of Swedish snus: epidemiological studies covering 20 years (1983-2003)Anders Hugoson
Center for Oral Health, School of Health Sciences, University of Jönköping, Jonkoping, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 70:289-96. 2012..The aim of this study was to evaluate some intra-oral caries-associated variables and tobacco use on dental caries...
- Prevalence of oral health status in visually impaired childrenKvkk Reddy
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, College of Dental Surgery, Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 29:25-7. 2011..The epidemiological investigation was carried out among 228 children selected from two schools of similar socioeconomic strata in and around Chennai city...
- The severity of dental caries in adults aged 35 to 44 years residing in the metropolitan area of a large city in Brazil: a cross-sectional studySimone M Costa
Department of Dentistry, Universidade Estadual de Montes Claros, Montes Claros, Brazil
BMC Oral Health 12:25. 2012....
- The association of early dental caries patterns with caries incidence in preschool childrenD M O'Sullivan
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT06030 1610, USA
J Public Health Dent 56:81-3. 1996..This study assessed the development of caries in preschool children over two years according to baseline caries pattern...
- Translation and validation of the Arabic version of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index (GOHAI)Shaher Daradkeh
Ministry of Health, Irbid, Jordan
J Oral Sci 50:453-9. 2008..It could therefore be used as a valuable instrument for measuring oral health-related quality of life for people in this region...
- Oral health in children and adolescents with different socio-cultural and socio-economic backgroundsLisa Bøge Christensen
Department of Community Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Odontol Scand 68:34-42. 2010..To describe the occurrence and severity of dental caries in children and adolescents and to relate these findings to the subject's socio-cultural and socio-economic backgrounds...
- Dental caries experience and association to risk indicators of remote rural populationsSean L Cook
Private Practice, Newburgh, Indianapolis, IA 47629, USA
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:275-83. 2008..Therefore, it is important to identify and target patients at risk of developing caries in order to develop specific preventive measures...
- Dental status of patients with mental disorders in a Nigerian teaching hospital: a preliminary surveyAbiola A Adeniyi
Preventive Unit, Dental Department, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria
Spec Care Dentist 31:134-7. 2011..006), and caries occurrence (p= .047). The oral health status of psychiatric patients in Nigeria is poor, indicating the need to provide oral health education and increase access to dental care for these patients...
- Dental caries prevalence among preschool children of Hubli: Dharwad cityR Mahejabeen
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Dharwad, India
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 24:19-22. 2006..The prevalence of dental caries was 54.1%. The attitude of mothers towards children's oral health made a statistical difference in the mean dmft levels...
- Validity of scoring caries and primary molar hypomineralization (DMH) on intraoral photographsM E C Elfrink
Dept Cariology, Endodontology and Pedodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, University of Amsterdam and VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 10:5-10. 2009....
- Genetic susceptibility to dental caries on pit and fissure and smooth surfacesJ R Shaffer
Department of Human Genetics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Caries Res 46:38-46. 2012..001), indicating that genetic factors may exert differential effects on caries risk in PFS versus SMS in the primary dentition...
- Prevalence and distribution of root caries in Pomerania, North-East GermanyCh Splieth
Center for Oral Medicine, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Caries Res 38:333-40. 2004..With about half of over-45-year-olds having at least one carious/filled root surface and increasing number of retained teeth in seniors, root caries is a relevant and probably growing disease in Pomerania and East Germany...
- Prevalence pattern of dental caries in the primary dentition among school childrenS Saravanan
Rajah Muthiah Dental College and Hospital, Annamalai University
Indian J Dent Res 16:140-6. 2005..lower) revealed higher caries prevalence in Maxillary anterior teeth (P < 0.001) and Mandibular posterior teeth (P < 0.001). In both the sexes and arches, primary second molars showed higher caries prevalence...
- Oral health status and treatment requirements of hospitalized psychiatric patients in Bangalore city: a comparative studyR Rekha
Dept of Preventive and Community Dentistry, Dayanand Sagar College of Dental Sciences, Bangalore, Karnataka
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 20:63-7. 2002..Higher proportion of psychiatric patients were suffering from TMJ disorders. Further, extensive dental treatment requirements were observed among these patients...
- Relationship between oral health and its impact on quality of life among adolescentsMaria Gabriela Haye Biazevic
Department of Social Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 22:36-42. 2008..245). Association between the mean OHIP and the terciles was not significant (p = 0.146); there were also no associations between periodontal condition and OHIP nor were there associations between the presence of fluorosis and mean OHIP...
- The condition of teeth in the UK in 1998 and implications for the futureJ Nunn
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Br Dent J 189:639-44. 2000..The overall trends are encouraging, but there is a need to review the way disease is managed in adults in the United Kingdom...
- Factors associated with dental caries among institutionalized residents with schizophrenia in Taiwan: a cross-sectional studyKuan Yu Chu
Community Medicine Research Center and Institute of Public Health, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
BMC Public Health 10:482. 2010..This study investigates the individual and treatment factors associated with the dental caries among institutionalized residents with schizophrenia in Taiwan...
- Rampant early childhood dental decay: an example from ItalyS Petti
Sanarelli Hygiene Institute, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Public Health Dent 60:159-66. 2000..This study sought to estimate the prevalence and related prediction factors for dental caries in 3- to 5-year-old children in Rome, Italy...
- Microbiological profiles in saliva and supragingival plaque from caries-active adolescents before and after a short-term daily intake of milk supplemented with probiotic bacteria - a pilot studyMichala Oron Lexner
University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Oral Health Prev Dent 8:383-8. 2010....
- Oral health and treatment needs of institutionalized chronic psychiatric patients in Istanbul, TurkeyO Gurbuz
Department of Dentistry, Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital for Psychiatry, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Community Dent Health 27:151-7. 2010..To assess the oral health status and treatment needs in a group of hospitalized chronic psychiatric patients...
- 5-Year survival of ART restorations with and without cavity disinfectionA Farag
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Minia University, Minia City, Egypt
J Dent 37:468-74. 2009..The null-hypothesis tested was that there is no difference between the survival of ART restorations with, and without, cavity disinfection among adolescents after 5 years...
- Psychometric properties of the Brazilian version of the Early Childhood Oral Health Impact Scale (B-ECOHIS)Ana Carolina Scarpelli
Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Federal University of Minas Gerais Av, Antonio Carlos 6627, Belo Horizonte, MG, 31270 901, Brazil
BMC Oral Health 11:19. 2011..The objective of this study was to evaluate the psychometric properties of the Brazilian version of the ECOHIS (B-ECOHIS)...
- Prevalence of dental caries and enamel defects in Connecticut Head Start childrenMarilia J Montero
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatr Dent 25:235-9. 2003..The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of dental caries and enamel defects in a sample of predominantly African American and Hispanic children from an inner city Head Start program located in Connecticut...
- Basic oral health goals for Spain 2015/2020Manuel Bravo
University of Granada, Spain
Int Dent J 59:78-82; quiz 62. 2009..To define the basic oral health goals for Spain 2015 (children)/2020 (adults)...
- The caries experience and behavior of dental patients with autism spectrum disorderCheen Y Loo
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 139:1518-24. 2008..The authors conducted a study to evaluate the demographics, caries experience and behavior of patients with ASD and compare these characteristics with those of patients without ASD (unaffected patients)...
- Oral health and the impact of socio-behavioural factors in a cross sectional survey of 12-year old school children in LaosNanna Jürgensen
Department for Community Dentistry and Graduate Studies, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Oester Farimagsgade 5, Copenhagen K, Denmark
BMC Oral Health 9:29. 2009....
- An assessment of the dental health of chronic institutionalized patients with psychiatric disease in IsraelShlomo Paul Zusman
Ministry of Health, Dental Health Division, Jerusalem, Israel
Spec Care Dentist 30:18-22. 2010..Dental professionals in the health service should be rewarded to restore teeth in this population rather than just to extract them...
- Trends in dental caries in 1- to 4-year-old children in a Brazilian city between 1997 and 2008Marcelo Bonecker
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Paediatr Dent 20:125-31. 2010..The objective of this study was to assess trends in dental caries prevalence and severity in 1- to 4 year-old children living in Diadema, Brazil, over a 11-year period, from 1997 to 2008...
- Oral health-related quality of life of children by dental caries and fluorosis experienceLoc G Do
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, The University of Adelaide, Australia
J Public Health Dent 67:132-9. 2007..To evaluate the oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) of children by dental caries and fluorosis status...
- Holes a plenty: oral health status a major issue for newly arrived refugees in AustraliaN Davidson
Victorian Immigrant Health Program, Melbourne
Aust Dent J 51:306-11. 2006..This paper identifies the disparities and highlights major dental health issues for Australia's growing and constantly changing refugee population...
- Oral Impacts on Daily Performance in Norwegian adults: validity, reliability and prevalence estimatesA N Astrøm
Centre for International Health, Bergen, Norway
Eur J Oral Sci 113:289-96. 2005..Prevalence estimates were low, suggesting that the current oral health status has little impact on the daily performance of the Norwegian adult population...
- Contributions of social context to inequality in dental caries: a multilevel analysis of Japanese 3-year-old childrenJ Aida
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Division of Oral Health Science, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Dental Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 36:149-56. 2008..However, the contribution of social context to dental caries among people in various regions remains unclear when individual health behavior is taken into account...
- The dentinal caries experience of children in the United Kingdom, 2003N B Pitts
Dental Health Services Research Unit, The Mackenzie Building, Kirsty Semple Way, Dundee DD2 4BF, UK
Br Dent J 200:313-20. 2006..The 2003 Children's Dental Health Survey is the fourth in a series of decennial national children's dental health surveys...
- Cariogram--a multifactorial risk assessment model for a multifactorial diseaseDouglas Bratthall
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 33:256-64. 2005..It expresses as to what extent different etiological factors of caries affect caries risk. The Cariogram identifies the caries risk factors for the individual and provides examples of preventive and treatment strategies to the clinician...
- Current understanding of the epidemiology mechanisms, and prevention of dental caries in preschool childrenNorman Tinanoff
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Pediatr Dent 24:543-51. 2002....
- Evaluation of a computer program for caries risk assessment in schoolchildrenG Hänsel Petersson
Department of Cariology, Faculty of Odontology, University of Malmo, Sweden
Caries Res 36:327-40. 2002..The Cariogram predicted caries increment more accurately than any included single-factor model. How this finding can be translated into daily practice in the best and most practical way is a matter for future research...
- The second national survey of oral health status of children and adults in ChinaHong Ying Wang
Int Dent J 52:283-90. 2002..To describe the oral health status of Chinese children and adults at national level in relation to location and province and to highlight changes in dental caries experience...
- Bacterial, behavioral and environmental factors associated with early childhood cariesFrancisco J Ramos-Gomez
Growth and Development Division of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Clin Pediatr Dent 26:165-73. 2002..ECC correlated significantly with child's age and lack of dental insurance of the children, as well as inversely with both family income and the educational level of the mother of the child...
- The oral health of psychiatric in-patients in South WalesS Lewis
Department of Adult Dental Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF144XY, Wales, UK
Spec Care Dentist 21:182-6. 2001..The oral hygiene of the dentate population was poor, and there was little periodontal disease. Treatment needs were mainly for scaling and polishing. There were no significant differences found between subgroups within the population...
- Caries prevalence of permanent teeth: a national survey of children in Iceland using ICDASHelga Agustsdottir
Ministry of Health, Reykjavik, Iceland
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 38:299-309. 2010..The Icelandic Oral Health Survey aimed to obtain new national data on the oral health of Icelandic children and teenagers...
- Geo-mapping of caries risk in children and adolescents - a novel approach for allocation of preventive careUlf Stromberg
Section of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Maxillofacial Unit, Halland Hospital, SE 301 85 Halmstad, Sweden
BMC Oral Health 11:26. 2011..The aim of the study was to apply a novel concept for presenting epidemiological data based on caries risk in the region of Halland in southwest Sweden, using geo-maps...
- Oral health status of older rural adults in the United StatesClemencia M Vargas
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore 21201 1586, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 134:479-86. 2003..Little is known about the oral health care of older rural residents. The authors describe oral health indicators for the older adult population by place of residence in the United States...
- Dental caries patterns and oral health behaviors in Arizona infants and toddlersJ M Douglass
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington 06030 1610, USA
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 29:14-22. 2001....
- Does smoking increase risk for caries? a cross-sectional study in an Italian military academyG Campus
Dental Institute, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Caries Res 45:40-6. 2011..Traditionally, tobacco is considered as part of the military culture. A cross-sectional survey was designed to clarify if smoking habit increases the caries risk in a sample of Italian adults attending a Military Academy...
- Parental smoking practices and caries experience in pre-school childrenS A Williams
Dental Public Health, Leeds Dental Institute, Leeds, UK
Caries Res 34:117-22. 2000..It is concluded that maternal smoking is a significant factor to be considered as an additional risk indicator beyond social class when predicting caries risk in young children...
- Oral health status of the visually impaired children--a south Indian studyVabitha Shetty
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Children Dentistry, A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Karnataka, India
J Clin Pediatr Dent 34:213-6. 2010..The oral health of children who are visually impaired can be disadvantaged, since they are often unable to adequately apply the techniques necessary to control plaque...
- Oral health and treatment needs in institutionalized psychiatric patients in IndiaA M Kenkre
Departments of Periodontia, Community Dentistry, and Oral Pathology, Goa Dental College and Hospital, Bambolim, Santa Cruz, Goa 403 202, India
Indian J Dent Res 11:5-11. 2000....
- A microbiological study in relation to the presence of caries and calculusGunnar Dahlen
Department of Oral Microbiology, Institute of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Sweden
Acta Odontol Scand 68:199-206. 2010..To examine whether oral microflora in individuals with caries differs from that of individuals with calculus in Thai adolescents with poor oral hygiene...
- Caries prevalence in an adult population: results of the Study of Health in Pomerania, Germany (SHIP)Ch Splieth
Center of Oral Health, University of Greifswald, Germany
Oral Health Prev Dent 1:149-55. 2003..The aim of this study was to assess the caries prevalence in the adult population of Pomerania, Germany in comparison to national and international data...
- Utilization of dental health care services in context of the HIV epidemic- a cross-sectional study of dental patients in the SudanElwalid Fadul Nasir
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Science and Technology, Omdurman, Sudan
BMC Oral Health 9:30. 2009..It was hypothesized that enabling factors would add to the explanation of dental care utilization beyond that of predisposing and need related factors...
- Targeting school-based dental sealant programs: who is at "higher risk"?Mark D Siegal
Ohio Department of Health, Bureau of Oral Health Services, 246 N High St, Columbus, OH 43215, USA
J Public Health Dent 70:140-7. 2010..To assess the effect of various school-level Free and Reduced Price Meal Program (FRPMP) enrollment-based risk thresholds on the ability of school-based sealant programs (S-BSPs) to reach higher risk children...
- A cluster randomised trial of effectiveness of educational intervention in primary health care on early childhood cariesS Z Mohebbi
Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Caries Res 43:110-8. 2009..Regarding de, NNT for group A was 4 and for B 9; the figures for dt were 13 and 17, respectively. In conclusion, oral health education given to mothers by general health staff is a valuable tool to prevent caries in infants and toddlers...
- Clustering of obesity and dental caries with lifestyle factors among Danish adolescentsAyse Basak Cinar
Community Dental Health Department, Institute of Odontology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Oral Health Prev Dent 9:123-30. 2011..To assess any clustering between obesity, dental health, and lifestyle factors (dietary patterns, physical activity, smoking, and alcohol consumption) among adolescents...
- Root surface and coronal caries in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitusJ Hintao
Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hatyai, Songkhla, Thailand
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 35:302-9. 2007..To determine the effect of type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) on coronal and root surface caries and to investigate some factors suspected of being related to or interacting with DM, that may be associated with coronal and root surface caries...
- Changes in dental caries prevalence in 12-year-old students in the State of Mexico after 9 years of salt fluoridationM E Irigoyen
Departemento de Atención a la Salud DCBS, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Xochimilco, Mexico City, Mexico
Caries Res 34:303-7. 2000....
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Longitudinal study of caries in a rural WIC populationJohn Warren; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from this pilot study will be of great value and will position the study team to effectively conduct future intervention studies to reduce oral health disparities. ..
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2008..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Immigration on Oral Health: A Comparative StudyGustavo Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study would help elucidate the effects of ethnicity on the oral health of immigrants by examining some of the underlying factors associated with disparities in oral health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Conference on Closing the Gap in Hispanics' Oral HealthGustavo Cruz; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Michigan Oral Cancer Prevention NetworkAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2003..By the end of the 3rd year, or earlier, the MOPCN would be ready to plan and implement community-based intervention studies...
- Mid-Career Investigator Award-Patient-Oriented ResearchGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Alabama Dental Practice Research Network DevelopmentGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- UAB Oral Health Research InnovationGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- LONGITUDINAL ORAL HEALTH OUTCOMES IN HIGH-RISK ADULTSGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Oral Health/OHRQOL among low-SES rural adultsGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- International Caries Detection and Assessement SystemAmid Ismail; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finding of the workshop will be used in a second workshop, to be organized by Dr. George Stookey, which will focus on the design of caries clinical trials and new diagnostic technology. ..
- UAB Oral Health Research Infrastructure ImprovementGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Validation of Combined ICDAS/QLF Exam for Early Caries DetectionANDREA GONCALVES FERREIRA ZANDONA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The successful validation of this early caries detection approach will provide the tools necessary for clinicians and researchers to advance the field and reduce the burden of the most common disease facing mankind. ..
- Fluoride Varnish Trial in High Caries Pre-SchoolersPhilip Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experimental design of this study is a randomized controlled clinical trial with two treatment groups and 250 participants per group. ..
- New York State Oral Cancer Control PartnershipJayanth Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will also prepare two case studies of oral cancer patients. During the second phase of the project, NYUCD will take the lead in developing, implementing and evaluating interventions. ..
- Molecular Epidemiological Approach to Determine S. mutansYihong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..Application of the new molecular tools will have a substantial impact on improving the oral health of children. ..
- Oral Health Outcomes of Early Childhood MalnutritionWalter Psoter; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given the universality of PEM pathophysiology, this study's findings will be generalizable to subsets of U.S. children having 9 oral health disparities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Optically enhanced dental sealants to indicate placement and material conditionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] 3) An optically doped sealant combines the efficacy advantages of a clear sealant with the visibility advantages of an opaque sealant. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microbial Markers for Periodontal Disease in ChildrenDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Periodontal Disease and PrematurityAnanda Dasanayake; Fiscal Year: 2006..The collective expertise of the investigative team and the excellent clinical and research facilities are additional strengths. ..
- Clinical Models Workshop:Remin-Demin, Precavity, CariesGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The meeting will be held on July 3-5, 2005 in the Downtown Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana, immediately prior to the annual ORCA (European Organization for Caries Research) meeting. ..
- Development of QLF Handpiece for Early Caries DetectionGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Attachment of Oral Actinobacillus to EpitheliumDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2008..The longterm goal of this application is to use this information to identify targets for therapeutic agents that can interfere with attachment of Aa to oral tissues and thus prevent colonization leading to LAP. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- New Pathogens for Childhood CariesAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2008..As a result, it is expected that many of the negative consequences of this disease will be avoided, with attendant reductions in the costs of dental and related medical care. ..
- Use of Automated Phone Calls to Promote Adherence with Inhaled CorticosteroidsWilliam Vollmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..This method, if it helps people take their medications as prescribed, could be used with a variety of other long-term medical conditions. ..
- Health Literacy and Oral Health KnowledgeMARK MACEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is anticipated that these results will ultimately improve oral health and eliminate disparities in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Planning International Orofacial Cleft Genetic StudiesMary Marazita; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. power studies and sample size targets, research protocol and instruments), and will prepare the final research plan and submit a grant proposal to carry out the research project. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Periodontitis, Atherosclerosis and the Host ResponseEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose to employ this model to dissect the factors accelerating vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis in periodontitis. ..
- Periodontal Disease and the Incidence of Oral CancerMine Tezal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Prevention of oral cancer could begin with prevention and early treatment of periodontitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SAN FRANCISCO MATERNAL AND CHILD ORAL HEALTH "PRIME" PROJECTFrancisco Ramos Gomez; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- UPR: Project RIPCOHDAugusto Elias; Fiscal Year: 2006..Research career development activities will be formalized, and a follow-on infrastructure proposal submitted. A successful research center on oral health disparities will be the outcome of these activities. ..
- Promoting Adherence to Improve Effectiveness of Cardiovascular Disease TherapiesWILLIAM MARION VOLLMER; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research should also be broadly applicable to other diseases and treatments. ..
- Caries Risk Assessment Instrument for Young AdultsGeorge Stookey; Fiscal Year: 2005..Future large-scale investigations will be undertaken to validate the merits of the instrument. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Research Group Annual MtgDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Oral Immunology/Microbiology Annual MeetingDaniel Fine; Fiscal Year: 2003..Perpetuation of the OIMRG and its annual meetings greatly enhances the spirit of collegial interaction/collaboration among investigators with expertise in immunology and microbial pathogenesis as related to oral health and disease. ..
- Blueprints for Transforming Research at UIC College of DentistryChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2003..With the systematic infrastructure improvement initiative, and through integration of interdisciplinary research and creation of critical mass, UIC COD will play a leading role in US academic dentistry. ..
- S MUTANS--CHARACTERIZATION OF ITS MUTACIN ANTIBIOTICPAGE CAUFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Periodontal microbiota, serum Antibody response & T1DMEvanthia Lalla; Fiscal Year: 2002..Theses studies will markedly enhance our understanding of the oral microbiology and immunology in type 1 diabetes. ..
- INITIAL LESION OF ADULT PERIODONTITISAnne Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- GOLDENSEAL(HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS)REMEDY FOR ORAL DISEASESChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This application of CAM research will help to achieve better oral health and oral disease prevention, one of the to priority areas of focus specified b the U.S. Public Health Service in "Health People 2000." ..
- GENE MAPPING STUDIES OF ORAL/FACIAL CLEFTS--CHINA/INDIAMary Marazita; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CARIES MANAGEMENT BY RISK ASSESSMENTJohn Featherstone; Fiscal Year: 2001..If successful this study will markedly change the teaching and practice of caries management. ..
- Linking Mother and Child Access to Dental CareDavid Grembowski; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 4 analyses of children will determine whether mothers' loss of dental insurance results in fewer children dental utilization. ..
- ORAL DISEASE AMONG RENAL TRANSPLANT RECIPIENTSCAROLINE SHIBOSKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed career development award would allow Dr. Shiboski to evolve from the post-doctoral level to the level of independent investigator. The candidate intends to devote 80 percent effort to the proposed project. ..
- LASER EFFECTS ON DENTAL HARD TISSUESJohn Featherstone; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sharp Instrument Injuries and Use of Clinical ServicesGerardo Maupome; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide important information to establish the current impact of SII/BBFE incidents in HCWs, in terms of their utilization of clinical services and associated costs. ..
- Periodontal Host-Pathogen ConferenceFrank Scannapieco; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will offer a limited number of travel grants to several graduate student or post-doctoral fellow poster presenters who have need for such support. ..
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Oral Health Outcomes in Pediatric Transplant RecipientsCAROLINE SHIBOSKI; Fiscal Year: 2004..To collect preliminary data on any potential association between unmet dental needs (e.g., advanced caries, chronic gingival inflammation associated with GE) and history of acute graft rejection episode(s). ..
- Race/Ethnicity, Socioeconomic Status and Oral HealthDavid Grembowski; Fiscal Year: 2006..In Aim 2 mixed-effect multilevel models will be used to estimate the effects of neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage on perceived oral health controlling for individual-level characteristics. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oral Health Disparities in Publicly Insured ChildrenTEGWYN BRICKHOUSE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Benefit: This mix of quantitative techniques and a clinical study will be utilized to address the NIDCR Priority Research Area of eliminating oral health disparities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- TRADITIONAL & MEDICAL MODELS OF PERIODONTAL CARERichard Niederman; Fiscal Year: 2005..These points argue for a direct comparison of the medical and traditional model of care. ..
- Endodontic Inflammation and Cardiovascular OutcomesDaniel Caplan; Fiscal Year: 2002..It also will serve as the epidemiologic foundation for future investigations into endodontic disease and other systemic outcomes. ..
- Predicting Caries Risk in Underserved ToddlersMargherita Fontana; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Effectiveness of Sealing Caries: A Way to Reduce Disparities in Dental CariesMargherita Fontana; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COST AND OUTCOMES OF TWO PROTOCOLS FOR DENTAL SEALANTSStephen Eklund; Fiscal Year: 2001..A total of 1,000 children are being enrolled over a three-year period, and will be followed for an additional two years, in order to evaluate the clinical outcomes and resource requirements for the two alternatives. ..
- Interleukin-1 Composite Genotype and Alveolar Bone LossMartha Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2005..The risk of tooth loss will be compared among the genotypes. Significance: The results of this study may be useful in identifying a genetic component to oral bone loss. ..
- Ten Year Longitudinal Analyses/Risk for Dental Caries in HIV Seropositive WomenStefanie Russell; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RISK FOR ENAMEL FLUOROSIS AMONG NORWEGIAN CHILDRENDavid Pendrys; Fiscal Year: 2003..Caries examination will allow comparison with fluorosis and early fluoride exposures. ..
- Multivariate CART for survival with dental applicaionsMartha Nunn; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Library on a Chip: Bacterial Strain MicroarrayLixin Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Create full-scale library chips for genetic screening A. Print a chip each with a library of genomic DNA from 1024 E. coli strains B. Test applications using bacterial library array chips ..