Genomes and Genes
Summary: An alternative to general anesthesia in patients for whom general anesthesia is refused or considered inadvisable. It involves the administering of an antianxiety drug (minor tranquilizer) and an analgesic or local anesthetic. This renders the patient free of anxiety and pain while allowing the patient to remain in verbal contact with the physician or dentist.
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- Patient time requirements for screening colonoscopyDaniel E Jonas
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2401-10. 2007..To measure the amount of time patients spend in the screening colonoscopy process...
- Can remifentanil be a better choice than propofol for colonoscopy during monitored anesthesia care?Z N Akcaboy
Department of Anesthesiology, The Ministry of Health Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:736-41. 2006....
- Guidelines for conscious sedation and monitoring during gastrointestinal endoscopyJ Patrick Waring
Gastrointest Endosc 58:317-22. 2003..Further controlled clinical studies are needed to clarify aspects of this statement, and revision may be necessary as new data appear. Clinical consideration may justify a course of action at variance to these recommendations...
- The Richmond Agitation-Sedation Scale: validity and reliability in adult intensive care unit patientsCurtis N Sessler
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1338-44. 2002..Our nurses described RASS as logical, easy to administer, and readily recalled. RASS has high reliability and validity in medical and surgical, ventilated and nonventilated, and sedated and nonsedated adult ICU patients...
- Sedation and analgesia in German intensive care units: how is it done in reality? Results of a patient-based survey of analgesia and sedationJORG MARTIN
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, Hospital am Eichert, Eichertstrasse 3, 73035 Göppingen, Germany
Intensive Care Med 32:1137-42. 2006..This study carried out the first patient-oriented survey on the practice of analgesia and sedation in German intensive care units, examining whether the goals of early spontaneous breathing and awake, cooperative patients are achieved...
- Acute abdominal compartment syndrome with pulseless electrical activity during colonoscopy with conscious sedationJ E Peppriell
Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Clin Anesth 12:216-9. 2000..Success with initial resuscitation efforts should not diminish further vigilance with these patients, as other problems may be discovered...
- Propofol infusion versus intermittent meperidine and midazolam injection for conscious sedation in ERCPPradermchai Kongkam
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 17:291-7. 2008..This study was conducted to compare satisfaction, recovery score, and recovery/safety profiles for ERCP sedation between continuous infusion of propofol and conventional sedation...
- Efficacy and safety of a paired sedation and ventilator weaning protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in intensive care (Awakening and Breathing Controlled trial): a randomised controlled trialTimothy D Girard
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Pulmonary, and Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 8300, USA
Lancet 371:126-34. 2008..Our aim was to assess a protocol that paired spontaneous awakening trials (SATs)-ie, daily interruption of sedatives-with spontaneous breathing trials (SBTs)...
- A pilot study to assess the safety and efficacy of carbon dioxide insufflation during colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection with the patient under conscious sedationYutaka Saito
Division of Endoscopy, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 65:537-42. 2007..The safety and efficacy of carbon dioxide (CO(2)) insufflation during colonoscopy already has been assessed in some trials...
- American College of Chest Physicians consensus statement on the use of topical anesthesia, analgesia, and sedation during flexible bronchoscopy in adult patientsMomen M Wahidi
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Chest 140:1342-50. 2011..Optimal performance of bronchoscopy requires patient's comfort, physician's ease of execution, and minimal risk. There is currently a wide variation in the use of topical anesthesia, analgesia, and sedation during bronchoscopy...
- Evidence and consensus-based German guidelines for the management of analgesia, sedation and delirium in intensive care--short versionJORG MARTIN
Department of Anesthesiology and Operative Intensive Care, Klinik am Eichert, Goppingen, Germany
Ger Med Sci 8:Doc02. 2010..These guidelines offer treatment recommendations for the ICU team. The implementation of scores and protocols into routine ICU practice is necessary for their success...
- Conscious sedation in the critically ill ventilated patientMarco Cigada
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Azienda Ospedaliera San Paolo di Milano, 20142 Milano, Italy
J Crit Care 23:349-53. 2008..We analyzed if a level 2 on the Ramsay Scale (ie, awake, cooperative, oriented, tranquil patient) is suitable for an invasive therapeutic approach...
- Factors influencing nurse sedation practices with mechanically ventilated patients: a U.S. national surveyJill L Guttormson
School of Nursing, University of Minnesota, 308 Harvard St S E, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Intensive Crit Care Nurs 26:44-50. 2010..Nursing behaviour is a key determinant of sedation administration. The purpose of this study was to determine factors that influence nurse sedation administration to mechanically ventilated patients...
- Early cognitive impairment after sedation for colonoscopy: the effect of adding midazolam and/or fentanyl to propofolUsha Padmanabhan
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Anesth Analg 109:1448-55. 2009..We sought to determine if the use of propofol alone results in less cognitive impairment at discharge than the use of propofol plus midazolam and/or fentanyl in patients presenting for elective outpatient colonoscopy...
- The use of the Behavioral Pain Scale to assess pain in conscious sedated patientsSabine J G M Ahlers
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, St Antonius Hospital, PO Box 2500, 3440 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 110:127-33. 2010..Additionally, in conscious sedated patients, the combination of the BPS and the patient-rated Verbal Rating Scale (VRS-4) was evaluated...
- Awake nasotracheal fiberoptic intubation: patient comfort, intubating conditions, and hemodynamic stability during conscious sedation with remifentanilAnette Marie Machata
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care, University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 97:904-8. 2003..For awake nasotracheal fiberoptic intubation, we therefore recommend remifentanil 0.75 micro g/kg in bolus followed by continuous infusion of 0.075 micro g x kg(-1) x min(-1), supplemented with midazolam 0.05 mg/kg...
- Sedation for gastrointestinal endoscopy: new practices, new economicsJames Aisenberg
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:996-1000. 2005
- Survey on sedation in paediatric dentistry: a global perspectiveStephen Wilson
Division of Pediatric Dentistry, Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Int J Paediatr Dent 21:321-32. 2011..Paediatric dentists receive training in sedation during their advanced education training, but evidence suggests that this training varies widely...
- The water method significantly enhances patient-centered outcomes in sedated and unsedated colonoscopyF W Leung
Research and Medical Services, Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 16111 Plummer Street, Sepulveda, CA 91343, USA
Endoscopy 43:816-21. 2011..Lessons learned in developing the water method for optimizing patient-centered outcomes are presented. These proof-of-principle observations merit further research assessment in diverse settings...
- Sedation practice in the intensive care unit: a UK national surveyHenrik Reschreiter
Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Crit Care 12:R152. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate sedation practice in UK intensive care units (ICUs), particularly the implementation of daily sedation holding, written sedation guidelines, sedation scoring tools and choice of agents...
- Deep sedation occurs frequently during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolamSandeep Patel
Section of Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2689-95. 2005..The aims of this study were to prospectively evaluate the incidence and risk factors of deep sedation during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolam intended to maintain a level of moderate sedation...
- Remifentanil target-controlled infusion vs propofol target-controlled infusion for conscious sedation for awake fibreoptic intubation: a double-blinded randomized controlled trialM R Rai
Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, Oxford Radcliffe NHS Trust, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Br J Anaesth 100:125-30. 2008..This study compares the suitability of remifentanil target-controlled infusion (TCI) to propofol TCI for conscious sedation during AFOI in patients with bona fide difficult airways.
- Predicting which patients can undergo upper endoscopy comfortably without conscious sedationNeena Abraham
The Division of Gastroenterology of the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 56:180-9. 2002Eliminating conscious sedation for diagnostic endoscopy may be advantageous for patient safety and cost containment...
- Randomized, controlled, cross-over clinical trial comparing intravenous midazolam sedation with nitrous oxide sedation in children undergoing dental extractionsK E Wilson
Department of Sedation, Newcastle Dental School and Hospital, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4BW, UK
Br J Anaesth 91:850-6. 2003..A study was therefore designed to investigate the use of midazolam, for i.v. sedation in paediatric dental patients...
- Randomized trial of light versus deep sedation on mental health after critical illnessMiriam M Treggiari
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Crit Care Med 37:2527-34. 2009..Symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder are common in patients after they have undergone prolonged mechanical ventilation and are associated with sedation depth...
- Effect of sedation with dexmedetomidine vs lorazepam on acute brain dysfunction in mechanically ventilated patients: the MENDS randomized controlled trialPratik P Pandharipande
Department of Anesthesiology Division of Critical Care, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
JAMA 298:2644-53. 2007..Dexmedetomidine induces sedation via different central nervous system receptors than the benzodiazepine drugs and may lower the risk of acute brain dysfunction...
- Adverse events associated with sedatives, analgesics, and other drugs that provide patient comfort in the intensive care unitRichard R Riker
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Maine Medical Center, Portland, Maine 04102, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:8S-18S. 2005....
- Bispectral Index monitoring correlates with sedation scales in brain-injured patientsAnupa Deogaonkar
Department of Anesthesiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Crit Care Med 32:2403-6. 2004....
- Sole use of dexmedetomidine has limited utility for conscious sedation during outpatient colonoscopyPrzemyslaw Jalowiecki
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Therapy, Silesian University School of Medicine, Katowice, Poland
Anesthesiology 103:269-73. 2005..This study evaluated the ability of dexmedetomidine to provide analgesia and sedation for outpatient colonoscopy, examining outcomes including cardiorespiratory variables, side effects, and discharge readiness...
- A proof-of-principle, prospective, randomized, controlled trial demonstrating improved outcomes in scheduled unsedated colonoscopy by the water methodFelix W Leung
Research and Medical Services, Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, North Hills, California, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 72:693-700. 2010..An observational study in veterans showed that a novel water method (water infusion in lieu of air insufflation) enhanced cecal intubation and willingness to undergo a repeat scheduled unsedated colonoscopy...
- Identification of factors that influence tolerance of upper gastrointestinal endoscopyR Campo
Digestive Endoscopy S D I, Corporacio Sanitaria Parc Tauli, Sabadell, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:201-4. 1999..Unsedated gastroscopy is unpleasant for some patients. The identification of factors related to tolerance would permit the selection of patients for sedation. The aim of the present study was to identify these factors...
- Bispectral index versus COMFORT score to determine the level of sedation in paediatric intensive care unit patients: a prospective studyAndreas E Triltsch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine corrected, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Charite University Hospital Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Crit Care 9:R9-17. 2005..The aim of this prospective observational trial was to evaluate the use of electroencephalographic (EEG) BIS for monitoring sedation in paediatric intensive care unit (PICU) patients...
- How reliable is the Bispectral Index in critically ill patients? A prospective, comparative, single-blinded observer studyStanley A Nasraway SA
Department of Surgery, New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Crit Care Med 30:1483-7. 2002..To establish a correlation between a reliable subjective measure, the Sedation-Agitation Scale (SAS), and an objective tool, the Bispectral Index (BIS), for monitoring critically ill patients with a decreased level of consciousness...
- Effectiveness of premedication agents administered prior to nitrous oxide/oxygenOzgul Baygin
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:341-6. 2010..The present study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of oral premedication with different agents on children scheduled for dental treatment under nitrous oxide/oxygen (N2O/O2) sedation...
- Comparison of two bispectral index algorithms in monitoring sedation in postoperative intensive care patientsPeter H Tonner
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Crit Care Med 33:580-4. 2005..Comparison of two versions of bispectral index (BIS) derived from the electroencephalogram in mechanically ventilated and continuously sedated patients after major abdominal surgery...
- Seminars on controversial issues. A review of the pharmacological approach to the management of dental anxiety in childrenM O Folayan
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
Int J Paediatr Dent 12:347-54. 2002....
- Evaluation of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography under conscious sedation and general anesthesiaK Raymondos
Dept of Anesthesia, Medical School of Hanover, Hanover, Germany
Endoscopy 34:721-6. 2002..usually only provided during endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) when prior attempts using conscious sedation have failed...
- Improved sedation for oral surgery by combining nitrous oxide and intravenous Midazolam: a randomized, controlled trialG R Venchard
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The Dental School, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4BW, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:522-7. 2006..01) and arterial oxygen saturation (P<0.001). This combined technique was found to be safe and reliable, requiring reduced doses of Midazolam and demonstrable improvement in patient recovery and co-operation...
- Adaptation to the Intensive Care Environment (ATICE): development and validation of a new sedation assessment instrumentBernard De Jonghe
Centre Hospitalier de Poissy Saint Germain, France
Crit Care Med 31:2344-54. 2003..To develop a valid, reliable, and responsive bedside instrument assessing Adaptation to the Intensive Care Environment (ATICE) in mechanically ventilated adult intensive care unit (ICU) patients...
- Sedation with propofol for interventional endoscopic procedures: a risk factor analysisTill Wehrmann
Department of Internal Medicine I, Academic Hospital Siloah, Hannover, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:368-74. 2008..However, there is evidence that cardiorespiratory side effects occur more frequently and that assisted ventilation may be necessary if propofol sedation is performed for interventional endoscopic procedures...
- A review of guidelines for sedation, anesthesia,and alternative interventions for people with special needsPaul Glassman
University of the Pacific, Arthur A Dugoni School of Dentistry, San Francisco, California, USA
Spec Care Dentist 29:9-16. 2009..There is also a need to advocate for reimbursement systems that support all appropriate treatment options so that practitioners can be free to recommend treatment options based on the efficacy and safety of each option...
- Intravenous sedation for dental patients with intellectual disabilityT Miyawaki
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
J Intellect Disabil Res 48:764-8. 2004..As an appropriate sedative dose for dental patients with ID has not been fully established, we investigated sedative doses required and the effect of sedation in patients with ID, compared with other dental patients...
- Complications associated with intravenous midazolam sedation in anxious dental patientsKatherine E Wilson
Department of Sedation, School of Dental Sciences, Richardson Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4AZ, UK
Prim Dent Care 18:161-6. 2011..This prospective study was designed to establish the nature, frequency and sequelae of complications arising in patients receiving dental treatment under intravenous midazolam sedation...
- The physiologic and behavioral effects of oral and intranasal midazolam in pediatric dental patientsErin Johnson
Department of Orthodontics and Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Pediatr Dent 32:229-38. 2010..The purpose of this study was to compare the safety and effectiveness of oral and intranasal midazolam in healthy children by evaluating their physiological and behavioral responses...
- Validity and reliability of an intuitive conscious sedation scoring tool: the nursing instrument for the communication of sedationMarek A Mirski
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Crit Care Med 38:1674-84. 2010..To develop a symmetrical 7-level scale (+3, "dangerously agitated" to -3, "deeply sedated") that is both intuitive and easy to use, the Nursing Instrument for the Communication of Sedation (NICS)...
- Acceptance and side effects of nitrous oxide oxygen sedation for oral surgical proceduresT I Berge
Institute of Odontology Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Faculty of Odontology, University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Odontol Scand 57:201-6. 1999..Nitrous oxide oxygen sedation is a reliable, efficient and safe adjunct to local anesthesia in both healthy children and adults undergoing ambulatory oral surgery procedures...
- Ketamine for conscious sedation in pediatric emergency careRakhee B Mistry
College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, and Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1104-11. 2005The literature concerning the efficacy and safety of ketamine for conscious sedation during procedures in pediatric emergency departments was reviewed...
- National survey of the use of sedating drugs, neuromuscular blocking agents, and reversal agents in the intensive care unitDenise H Rhoney
Wayne State University College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions Department of Pharmacy Practice, USA
J Intensive Care Med 18:139-45. 2003..Vecuronium was prescribed more routinely than pancuronium. The number of institutions utilizing protocols for any of these agents was low; instead, decisions were based on clinician preference...
- Oral sedation for dental treatment in young children in a hospital settingL Lourenço-Matharu
Paediatric Dental Sedation, Department of Paediatric Dentistry, King s College Hospital, Camberwell, London, UK
Br Dent J 209:E12. 2010b>Conscious sedation for young children is a rapidly developing area of clinical activity. Many studies have shown positive results using oral midazolam on children...
- Intranasal/intravenous sedation for the dental care of adults with severe disabilities: a multicentre prospective auditN J Ransford
Heart of Birmingham Teaching PCT, Stockland Green Primary Care Centre, 192 Reservoir Road, Erdington, Birmingham, B23 6DJ
Br Dent J 208:565-9. 2010..It involved adults with severe disabilities which prevented them from being able to co-operate with dental treatment and intravenous cannulation for sedation...
- The safety and efficacy of intranasal midazolam sedation combined with inhalation sedation with nitrous oxide and oxygen in paediatric dental patients as an alternative to general anaesthesiaMichael Wood
Specialist in Special Care Dentistry, Leagrave Dental Anaesthetic Clinic, Luton, Bedfordshire
SAAD Dig 26:12-22. 2010..Little evidence has been published in the UK to support the use of alternative sedation techniques in children. This paper presents another option using an alternative conscious sedation technique.
- Evaluation of single-stage adjustable strabismus surgery under conscious sedationPradeep Sharma
Strabismology Service, Dr R P Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:121-5. 2009..To evaluate the feasibility and stability of ocular alignment after single-stage adjustable strabismus surgery (SSASS) performed under topical anesthesia...
- Dental treatment of fearful children using nitrous oxide. Part 4: Anxiety after two yearsJ S Veerkamp
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, ACTA, Amsterdam, Holland
ASDC J Dent Child 60:372-6. 1993..The fear score during the last session of a course of treatment is clearly related to the score of the following curative session, even if it takes place two years later...
- Comparison of oral midazolam with a combination of oral midazolam and nitrous oxide-oxygen inhalation in the effectiveness of dental sedation for young childrenA M Al-Zahrani
Security Forces Hospital, Makkah Al Mukarrama, Saudi Arabia
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 27:9-16. 2009..6 mg/kg oral midazolam sedation alone and a combination of 0.6 mg/kg oral midazolam plus nitrous oxide-oxygen inhalation sedation, in controlling the behavior of uncooperative children during dental treatment...
- Effect of local anesthetic management with conscious sedation in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantationMasanori Yamamoto
Department of Interventional Cardiology, AP HP Henri Mondor University Hospital, Creteil, France
Am J Cardiol 111:94-9. 2013The present study sought to assess the effectiveness of local anesthesia with conscious sedation (LACS) during transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)...
- Commentary. Balancing sedation and analgesia in the critically illG Park
Intensive Care Unit, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Crit Care Clin 17:1015-27. 2001..Any treatment protocol or algorithm is simply a guide to therapy and cannot address every clinical situation. The importance of individualized care and physician or care team judgment must be emphasized...
- Identification of factors that influence conscious sedation in gastrointestinal endoscopySun Young Lee
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 19:536-40. 2004Although several studies examined factors that influence conscious sedation, investigation was limited into the gender and age...
- Sedation algorithm in critically ill patients without acute brain injuryBernard De Jonghe
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Poissy Hospital, Poissy, France
Crit Care Med 33:120-7. 2005....
- The effects of temperament and behaviour problems on sedation failure in anxious children after midazolam premedicationBerrin Isik
Department of Oral and Maxilla Facial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:336-40. 2010..We investigated whether sedation failure after premedication with oral midazolam can be predicted by behaviour problems and temperament traits...
- The safety and efficacy of using a concentrated intranasal midazolam formulation for paediatric dental sedationMichael Wood
Leagrave Dental Sedation Clinic, Luton, Bedfordshire
SAAD Dig 27:16-23. 2011To add to the evidence base for safe and effective paediatric conscious sedation techniques in primary dental care.
- A randomised controlled trial of paediatric conscious sedation for dental treatment using intravenous midazolam combined with inhaled nitrous oxide or nitrous oxide/sevofluraneP A Averley
Principle Dentist, Queensway Anxiety Management Clinic, 170 Queensway, Billingham, UK
Anaesthesia 59:844-52. 2004....
- Preprocedure patient values regarding sedation for colonoscopySukanya Subramanian
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:516-9. 2005..There are little data describing pre-colonoscopy patient concepts, values, and preferences for sedation during colonoscopy. In this study, we sought to investigate preprocedure patient values regarding sedation use for colonoscopy...
- Office-based ambulatory anesthesia: Factors that influence patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction with deep sedation/general anesthesiaTimothy T Coyle
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Sugarland, TX 77478, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:163-72. 2005....
- Reduction of dislocated hip prosthesis in the emergency department using conscious sedation: a prospective studyS J Frymann
Emergency Department, Salisbury District Hospital, Salisbury, UK
Emerg Med J 22:807-9. 2005..observational study aimed to determine the rate of success of reduction of dislocated hip prostheses using conscious sedation. In 101 consecutive patients presenting to the emergency department between August 2000 and February 2003 ..
- Comparison of patient-controlled and operator-controlled conscious sedation for restorative dentistryK A Bavisha
Barts and The London NHS Trust, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:284-8. 2004The use of midazolam for conscious sedation is an accepted method of anxiety control in restorative dentistry. A lack of predictability in its effects requires the dose of midazolam to be adjusted to individual patient's requirements...
- Evaluation of remifentanil in endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatographyN el-Bitar
University of Balamand, St George Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
Middle East J Anesthesiol 18:1209-16. 2006..retrogade cholangio-pancreatography (ERCP) is a painful procedure that requires transient analgesia and conscious sedation. Remifentanil an ultrashort, very potent narcotic, is eliminated by plasma esterases, and does not interfere ..
- The use of relative analgesia in the prosthetic treatment of the 'gagging' patientMark E Packer
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Guy s King s and St Thomas Dental Institute, King s College London, UK
Dent Update 32:544-6, 548-50. 2005..This may be irrespective of size and weight; therefore each subject should be individually monitored...
- Feasibility of bispectral index-guided propofol infusion for flexible bronchoscopy sedation: a randomized controlled trialYu Lun Lo
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
PLoS ONE 6:e27769. 2011..The bispectral index (BIS) correlates well with the level of consciousness. The aim of this study was to show that BIS-guided propofol infusion is safe and may provide better sedation, benefiting the patients and bronchoscopists...
- Comparison of propofol versus propofol-ketamine combination in pediatric oncologic procedures performed by non-anesthesiologistsAntonio Chiaretti
Department of Pediatric Sciences, Catholic University Medical School, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 57:1163-7. 2011..The aim of the present prospective study is to compare the safety and efficacy of propofol-ketamine versus propofol alone, managed by trained pediatricians, in children with cancer undergoing painful procedures...
- Conscious sedation reduces patient discomfort and improves satisfaction in flexible bronchoscopyYung Lun Ni
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Linkou, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 33:443-52. 2010b>Conscious sedation for patients undergoing flexible bronchoscopy (FB) is suggested to alleviate discomfort and improve satisfaction despite controversy regarding its benefits...
- The practice of continuous palliative sedation in elderly patients: a nationwide explorative study among Dutch nursing home physiciansRogier H P D Van Deijck
De Zorggroep, Region Venlo EBC, Venlo, The Netherlands
J Am Geriatr Soc 58:1671-8. 2010..To study the practice of continuous palliative sedation (CPS) by Dutch nursing home physicians in 2007...
- A comparison of dexmedetomidine versus midazolam for sedation, pain and hemodynamic control, during colonoscopy under conscious sedationKamer Dere
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Algology, GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:648-52. 2010..The intent of our study was to compare the effects of dexmedetomidine versus midazolam on perioperative hemodynamics, sedation, pain, satisfaction and recovery scores during colonoscopy...
- Carotid endarterectomy: general anaesthesia with remifentanyl conscious sedation vs loco-regional anaesthesiaG Marcucci
Unit of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Ospedale San Paolo, Civitavecchia, Rome, Italy
Int Angiol 28:496-9. 2009To retrospectively evaluate and compare the safety and efficacy of general anesthesia with remifentanyl conscious sedation (RCS) vs local-regional anesthesia (LA) for carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
- Dental sedation by dentists: a view from anesthesiologists working in central Western BrazilPaulo S S Costa
Department of Pediatrics, Federal University of Goias, Primeira Avenida, sem numero, Setor Universitario, Goiania, Goias 74605 020, Brazil
Anesth Analg 110:110-4. 2010..Using a survey, we sought the opinions of a group of Brazilian anesthesiologists regarding nitrous oxide/oxygen and oral minimal/moderate sedation performed by dentists...
- Relative analgesia and general dental practitioners: attitudes and intentions to provide conscious sedation for paediatric dental extractionsR Freeman
Dental Public Health, Division of Paediatric, Preventive and Public Health Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Queen s University, Belfast
Int J Paediatr Dent 13:320-6. 2003..To examine the attitudes and intentions of general dental practitioners (GDPs) who work within the remit of the National Health Service (NHS) to provide relative analgesia (RA) for paediatric extractions...
- Assessment of end-tidal carbon dioxide during pediatric and adult sedation for endoscopic proceduresDaniel Yarchi
Anesthesia Department, Faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Gastrointest Endosc 69:877-82. 2009..Pulse oximetry has become the standard of care during endoscopic procedures, despite the fact that significant alveolar hypoventilation may be undetected...
- Special care dentistry: Midazolam conscious sedation for patients with neurological diseasesP L Capp
Dentistry Division, Hospital das Clinicas, Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Paediatr Dent 11:162-4. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficiency of Midazolam in patients with neurological diseases referred for dental treatment...
- Midazolam conscious sedation in a large Danish municipal dental service for children and adolescentsBirgitte Uldum
Municipal Dental Service for Children and Adolescents, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Paediatr Dent 18:256-61. 2008The aim of this study was to describe the introduction and the first six years use of midazolam for conscious sedation in a municipal dental service in Denmark.
- Training and credentialing in procedural sedation and analgesia in children: lessons from the United States modelBaruch Krauss
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 18:30-5. 2008
- Conscious sedation for dentistry: an updateD C Craig
Sedation and Special Care Dentistry, King s College London Dental Institute, Floor 26, Guy s Tower, Guy s Hospital, London, SE1 9RT
Br Dent J 203:629-31. 2007Despite its excellent safety record there remains disquiet about the provision of conscious sedation for dental care...
- Dealing with delicate issues in continuous deep sedation. Varying practices among Dutch medical specialists, general practitioners, and nursing home physiciansJeroen G J Hasselaar
Department of Anesthesiology, Pain, and Palliative Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, The Netherlands
Arch Intern Med 168:537-43. 2008..The following sensitive issues involved in CDS were investigated: artificial hydration, sedation for nonphysical discomfort, the relationship between CDS and euthanasia, and patient involvement in decision making for CDS...
- Use of nitrous oxide and oxygen for conscious sedation to manage pain and anxietyHelen A Ryding
Faculty of Dentistry, Dalhousie University, 5981 University Avenue, Halifax, NS B3H 3J5
J Can Dent Assoc 73:711. 2007..Seventeen percent reported using conscious sedation, but they typically treated more than 20 anxious patients per year...
- Sedation for gastrointestinal endoscopy: the changing landscapeJohn Trummel
Department of Anesthesiology, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:359-64. 2007..Controversy has ensued over safe and efficient sedation practice. This review seeks to delineate what has been learned about this topic in the recent literature...
- The nature of anesthesia and procedural sedation outside of the operating roomRichard M Pino
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:347-51. 2007..The different types of procedures are presented along with pertinent safety issues with the use of different drug combinations...
- Long-term psychological effects of a no-sedation protocol in critically ill patientsThomas Strøm
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Odense University Hospital, Sdr Boulevard 29, 5000 Odense C, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Crit Care 15:R293. 2011..The purpose of the study was to test whether a strategy of no sedation alters long-term psychological outcome compared with a standard strategy with sedation...
- Implementation of behaviour management techniques--how well accepted they are todayN Grewal
Department of Pedodontia and Preventive Dentistry, Govt Dental College, Amritsar, Punjab
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 21:70-4. 2003..Insistence of parents on conscious sedation is seen to be on the rise...
- Rectal administration of midazolam for conscious sedation of uncooperative children in need of dental treatmentU Lindh-Strömberg
Department of Paediatric Dentistry, Eastman Dental Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Swed Dent J 25:105-11. 2001..Midazolam has shown in this follow-up to be an effective and safe drug for premedication of infants in the stressed dental situation. The advantage to for example diazepam lies mainly in the shorter period of time of sedation...
- Assessment of recovery in patients undergoing intravenous conscious sedation using bispectral analysisN A Sandler
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0329, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 59:603-11; discussion 611-2. 2001..Index (BIS) has been recently shown to objectively predict the level of sedation in patients undergoing conscious sedation. It was the goal of this study to directly compare the recovery profile of patients where the BIS was used ..
- General anesthesia reduces the prevalence of pulmonary vein reconnection during repeat ablation when compared with conscious sedation: results from a randomized studyLuigi Di Biase
Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute, St David s Medical Center, Austin, Texas 78705, USA
Heart Rhythm 8:368-72. 2011Radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation can be performed under general anesthesia or conscious sedation at the physician's preference.
- Prospective randomized trial evaluating ketamine for advanced endoscopic procedures in difficult to sedate patientsS Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:987-97. 2007..Adequate patient sedation is mandatory for advanced endoscopic procedures such as ERCP and EUS...
- Telephone consultations on palliative sedation therapy and euthanasia in general practice in The Netherlands in 2003: a report from insideFlorien B van Heest
Department for Palliative Medicine, Integraal Kankercentrum Noord Oost, 9700 AH Groningen, The Netherlands
Fam Pract 26:481-7. 2009..Each telephone call was formally documented on paper and subsequently evaluated...
- Conscious sedation by oral administration of midazolam in paediatric dental treatmentA L Erlandsson
Department of Odontology Pedodontics, Umea University, Sweden
Swed Dent J 25:97-104. 2001..The route of administration, the short waiting-time and half-life, in combination with a level of sedation that allows treatment to be performed, are the principal advantages of conscious sedation with orally administered midazolam.
- Is the bispectral index appropriate for monitoring the sedation level of mechanically ventilated surgical ICU patients?Dirk Frenzel
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Intensive Care Med 28:178-83. 2002..To determine the value of the bispectral index (BIS) in assessing the depth of sedation in sedated and mechanically ventilated ICU patients, compared with clinical sedation scores...
- Pediatric sedation in North American children's hospitals: a survey of anesthesia providersKirk Lalwani
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 15:209-13. 2005..We conducted a survey to collect this information from anesthesiologists at pediatric institutions and to identify factors perceived as limiting the development of sedation services...
- Preschool children and relative analgesia: satisfaction grading through a verbal questionnaireS Arcari
Dental Surgery Unit, AUlss n 15 Regional Centre for the Study, Prevention and Treatment of Dental Diseases of Veneto Region, Italy
Eur J Paediatr Dent 9:18-22. 2008..The aim of the study was to assess 100 preschool children's satisfaction grading of relative analgesia (RA) after completing dental treatment by collecting their opinion on this technique through a verbal questionnaire...
- Use of capnography during endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatographyS Wilson
Anaesthesia 63:1016-7. 2008
- Pre-operative fasting for intravenous conscious sedation used in dental treatment: are conclusions based on relative risk management or evidence?G McKenna
Dundee Dental Hospital, University of Dundee, Dundee DD14HN
Br Dent J 205:173-6. 2008..This article reviews the available evidence on the subject of pre-operative fasting and discusses current guidelines...
- The changing landscape of practice patterns regarding unsedated endoscopy and propofol use: a national Web surveyAshley L Faulx
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 62:9-15. 2005..The aim was to determine national practice patterns of unsedated endoscopy and propofol sedation, and to assess endoscopists' attitudes toward unsedated screening with an electronic survey...
- Involvement of trainees in routine unsedated colonoscopy: review of a pilot experienceFelix W Leung
Research and Medical Services, Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center and Nursing Home, VAGLAHS, North Hills, CA 91343, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 67:718-22. 2008..Unsedated colonoscopy is not required by the Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education in the curriculum of GI trainees...
- Unsedated endoscopy: you don't get a medal for it!Ronald A Leo
South Med J 97:797-8. 2004
- Comparison of conscious sedation for oocyte retrieval between low-anxiety and high-anxiety patientsJeong Yeon Hong
Department of Anesthesiology, Samsung Cheil Hospital and Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul 100 380, South Korea
J Clin Anesth 17:549-53. 2005To investigate the correlation among the level of anxiety, the intravenous propofol requirement for conscious sedation, and recovery profile in in vitro fertilization patients.
- NONPHARMACOLOGIC ANALGESIA FOR INVASIVE PROCEDURESElvira Lang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Distress management for these procedures, in general, relies on "intravenous conscious sedation" with narcotics and sedatives...
- Improvement of lithotripters by ultrasound imaging and backscatter tecniquesLawrence A Crum; Fiscal Year: 2010..The patient, usually under anesthesia or conscious sedation, is positioned with the stone within this focal zone...
- Neuroimaging to Assess the Effects of Therapy in Children with Acute LymphoblastiBRUCE T contact SHIRAMIZU; Fiscal Year: 2010..with other diseases, using non-invasive advanced MR techniques, including HRS-MRI, MRS, and DTI without conscious sedation, which is important in this age...
- Improving Screening and Surveillance in Barrett's PatientsGuillermo J Tearney; Fiscal Year: 2013..on assessing feasibility and diagnostic potential, we have deployed OFDI as an adjunct to endoscopy under conscious sedation. In this proposal we will advance balloon-catheter OFDI technology so that it can be used for BE screening ..
- EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF NARCOTICS FOR PEDIATRIC SEDATIONPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990The most controversial and potentially most dangerous therapies in dental pharmacology involve the conscious sedation of anxious pediatric patients...
- A Mixed Reality Conscious Sedation Simulator for Learning to Manage VariabilityJOHN PATRICK QUARLES; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): Inter-patient variability is a major contributing factor to adverse outcomes in conscious sedation procedures...
- NITROUS OXIDE CONSCIOUS SEDATION--ANXIOYSISRAYMOND QUOCK; Fiscal Year: 1990Nitrous oxide is widely used for production of conscious sedation in clinical dentistry. This clinical application of low concentrations of nitrous oxide specifically for reduction of anxiety is unique to dentistry...
- COMPARING THE EFFICACIES OF CONSCIOUS SEDATION DRUGSStephen Cooper; Fiscal Year: 1980..Both single entity agents such as diazepam and combination treatments such as diazepam plus meperidine will be evaluated...
- Pain Assessment in Cognitively Impaired ChildrenShobha Malviya; Fiscal Year: 2005..A reliable and valid pain assessment tool is critical to facilitate our future study of pain management strategies in these children. ..
- Sedation Effects in Mechanically Ventilated PatientsMary Jo Grap; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Biotech & Materials Research to Reduce Caries DisparityPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference will be co-sponsored by the Northwest/Alaska Center to Reduce Oral Health Disparities, the University of Washington UWeb Bioengineering Center, and the Salivary Diagnostics Project. ..
- Strategies for Improving Sedation Outcomes in the ICUJOHN KRESS; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Cognitive Impairment in the ICU: Evaluation and OutcomesE Ely; Fiscal Year: 2005..Along with the candidate's record of publications and achievement, he will have rich academic surroundings, excellent mentors and strong institutional commitment to ensure that he achieve these goals. ..
- Peptides surface modification to prevent stent blockageJoseph Leung; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results may shed new lights in the prevention of chronic implanted medical device related infections and specifically in prolonging plastic stent patency. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The MIND ICU StudyE Wesley Ely; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Fluoride Varnish to Prevent Caries in Toddlers - An Expanded Immunization ProgramPeter Milgrom; Fiscal Year: 2008..Keywords: fluoride varnish, dental caries, oral health, early prevention, multi-center, toddlers. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- LONG TERM EFFECTS OF ETHANOL EXPOSURE DURING ADOLESCENCEH Swartzwelder; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Associations between perceptual features and information that was never perceivedJason Arndt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Strategies Targeting Acute Exacerbation of COPDRichard Albert; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will, at the same time, also provide information regarding the pathobiology of COPD exacerbations. ..
- Missed Opportunities for Diagnosis of Child MaltreatmentELISABETH GUENTHER SKOKAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of Out-of-Hospital Endotracheal Intubation ErrorsHenry Wang; Fiscal Year: 2008..These analyses are innovative in the fields of EMS, patient safety and health services research and will help to justify system-wide efforts to reduce errors in this complex procedure. ..
- kappa-agonist effects of the hallucinogen Salvinorin AEduardo Butelman; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Cerebellar stimulation for motor recovery from strokeAndre Machado; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, promising results from a study such as the one proposed ultimately could lead directly to trials in human patients with stroke as the hardware and techniques are already well established. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ethanol and GABA Function: Developmental SensitivityH Swartzwelder; Fiscal Year: 2008..post-synaptic nature of the developmental sensitivity that we have observed, and directly test several candidate mechanisms which may underlie these developmental changes in ethanol sensitivity [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Reducing Sedative Exposure in Ventilated ICU PatientsLinda Chlan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Deep brain stimulation of the ventral anterior limb of the internal capsule for mAndre Machado; Fiscal Year: 2009..In this proposal, we describe an innovative approach to alleviate suffering and disability among those with severe and refractory chronic neuropathic pain. ..
- EFFECTS OF SYSTEMICALLY ADMINISTERED DYNORPHINSEduardo Butelman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FDG PET IMAGING OF COLON CARCINOMA RESPONSE TO THERAPYMichael Graham; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Molecular Analysis of Ureteric RefluxRobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2006..A clinical database of primary VUR and RN will be set up to establish correlations between biomarkers and phenotype and to test the sensitivity and specificity of these markers for detecting primary VUR and RN. ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- Neural correlates of mild cognitive impairmentCHRISTINE NORDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2004..In contrast, we predict MCI individuals with hippocampal atrophy will show reduced hippocampal activation during performance on an episodic memory task. ..
- The Effect of Sedation on Restorative SleepAvery Tung; Fiscal Year: 2005..Knowledge from this proposal will provide scientific insight into the relationships between anesthesia and sleep, and may lead to more effective clinical use of ICU sedatives. ..
- PALLIATIVE CARE FELLOWSHIPJ Billings; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PREVALENCE AND IMPACT OF GLAUCOMA AMONG THE VERY ELDERLYDavid Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, the interactions between comorbidities (including cognitive deficits) and visual field loss will be explored. ..
- Urinary Biomarkers for Steroid Resistant Nephrotic SyndrRobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that data from the current study will improve our diagnostic and therapeutic strategy and may provide clues to the pathogenetic significance of the identified biomarkers. ..
- Early Diagnosis of Growth Disorders Uing MR ImagingDiego Jaramillo; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- HUMAN FACTORS TO DESIGN SAFE PEDIATRIC SEDATION SYSTEMSGeorge Blike; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction in the ElderlyTerri Monk; Fiscal Year: 2004..Given the breadth of my proposed training program, I will be able to interact with and serve as a mentor for anesthesiologists and also the broader corpus of scientists, both clinical and basic, interested in aging and neuroscience. ..
- Patients' Recall and Assessment of Mechanical Ventilation: Impact of SedationJill Guttormson; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge gained from this study has significant public health implications for patients receiving ventilatory support in the United States-improving symptom management and recovery. ..
- A Patient-Controlled Cognitive-Behavioral Intervention for Cancer SymptomsKristine L Kwekkeboom; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SPINAL CORD INJURY, METHYLPREDNISOLONE & P GLYCOPROTEINCHRISTOPHER BERNARDS; Fiscal Year: 2002..4. To determine whether increased spinal cord bioavailability of methylprednisolone decreases secondary damage following spinal cord injury. ..
- Developmental THC Sensitivity in Male and Female RatsH Swartzwelder; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aims 2&3 will use electrophysiological and biochemical techniques to test specific mechanisms that may underlie the behavioral effects we have observed in our preliminary data. ..
- Role of the Leukotriene B4 Receptors in AsthmaBENJAMIN MEDOFF; Fiscal Year: 2003..Repeat experiments in the presence of a BLTR2 antagonist will also allow characterization of the role of this receptor in asthma. ..
- Role of TGF-b In Excessive Scarring: A Cutaneous ModelThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMPACT OF AGING, ISCHEMIA AND CYTOKINES ON WOUND HEALINGThomas Mustoe; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CD36 AND HEPATIC STELLATE CELL ACTIVATIONWILLEM DEVILLIERS; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will determine whether spontaneously hypertensive rats and CD36-deficient mice are resistant to the development of hepatic fibrosis. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AND HDLWILLEM DEVILLIERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will be done by measuring the bioactivity of paraoxonase and determining the ability of HDL from human subjects exposed to alcohol to protect against macrophage-mediated LDL. ..
- Assessing and Treating Symptoms of Dying ICU PatientsKathleen Puntillo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results will also contribute empirical data needed to generate and test hypotheses concerning appropriate symptom assessment and management interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemokines in lung transplantationBENJAMIN MEDOFF; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..