Summary: Anesthesia caused by the breathing of anesthetic gases or vapors or by insufflating anesthetic gases or vapors into the respiratory tract.
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- Total intravenous versus inhalational anaesthesia for colonoscopy: a prospective study of clinical recovery and psychomotor functionT Theodorou
Department of Anaesthesia, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales
Anaesth Intensive Care 29:124-36. 2001..It is concluded that a sevoflurane/nitrous oxide anaesthetic has a suitable recovery profile for ambulatory colonoscopy and results in faster recovery of cognitive function compared with a fentanyl, midazolam and propofol combination...
- Tracheal extubation of deeply anesthetized pediatric patients: a comparison of desflurane and sevofluraneRobert D Valley
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill 27599, USA
Anesth Analg 96:1320-4, table of contents. 2003..Premedication with oral midazolam resulted in significantly longer emergence times regardless of the potent inhaled anesthetic administered...
- Speed of induction of anaesthesia in dogs administered halothane, isoflurane, sevoflurane or propofol in a clinical settingR G Pottie
University Veterinary Centre, University of Sydney, Camden, NSW, Australia
Aust Vet J 86:26-31. 2008..To compare the speed and quality of induction of general anaesthesia using three different inhalant agents and one intravenous agent, in healthy dogs undergoing desexing surgery...
- Comparison of recovery profile after ambulatory anesthesia with propofol, isoflurane, sevoflurane and desflurane: a systematic reviewAnil Gupta
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesth Analg 98:632-41, table of contents. 2004..The incidence of side effects, specifically postoperative nausea and vomiting, was less frequent with propofol...
- Rocuronium duration of action under sevoflurane, desflurane or propofol anaesthesiaP G Maidatsi
AHEPA University Hospital, Anaesthesiology Department, Thessaloniki, Greece
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:781-6. 2004..We conducted a prospective randomized study to evaluate whether the duration of action of a single bolus dose of rocuronium is influenced by maintenance of anaesthesia with sevoflurane, desflurane or propofol infusion...
- Clinical comparison of recovery from total intravenous anesthesia with propofol and inhalation anesthesia with isoflurane in dogsYi Chin Tsai
Graduate Institute of Veterinary Medicine, National Taiwan University, No 1, Section 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, Taiwan 106
J Vet Med Sci 69:1179-82. 2007The characteristics of recovery from total intravenous anesthesia (TIVA) with propofol and inhalation anesthesia with isoflurane was clinically compared in 149 client-owned dogs that anesthetized for surgical or diagnostic procedures...
- Comparison of newly developed inhalation anesthesia system and intraperitoneal anesthesia on the hemodynamic state in miceYoshikazu Matsuda
Department of Integrative Physiology and Bio System Control, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Nagano 390 8621, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1716-20. 2007..The changes induced by pentobarbital anesthesia were attributed to a change in the depth of anesthesia with time. These results indicate that inhalation anesthesia using KNI-472 is suitable in research on the hemodynamic state in mice.
- The lung volume at which shunting occurs with inhalation anesthesiaR Dueck
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Diego
Anesthesiology 69:854-61. 1988..The enhanced intrapulmonary shunting in smokers may have been related to the increased dependent regional residual volume associated with smoking...
- [Premixed 50% nitrous oxide and oxygen: theoretical recalls and practical modalities]P Boulland
Departement d Anesthésie Réanimation Urgences, Hôpital d instruction des armées Legouest, 57998 Metz Armées, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 24:1305-12. 2005..In less than 10% of the cases, side effects are possible. Conditions of administration are given in details. The limits of the technic and the particular precautions of use are precised...
- Randomized controlled trial of total intravenous anesthesia with propofol versus inhalation anesthesia with isoflurane-nitrous oxide: postoperative nausea with vomiting and economic analysisK Visser
Department of Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 95:616-26. 2001..Both anesthetic techniques were otherwise similar. Anesthesia costs were more than three times greater for propofol TIVA, without economic gains from shorter stay in the postanesthesia care unit..
- Isoflurane vs sevoflurane in emergence delirium: a misleading conclusionD F Marsh
Paediatr Anaesth 18:81-2; author reply 83. 2008
- The effect of nitrous oxide on halothane, isoflurane and sevoflurane requirements in ventilated dogs undergoing ovariohysterectomyT Duke
Department Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Western College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Vet Anaesth Analg 33:343-50. 2006..To examine the effect of 64% nitrous oxide (N2O) on halothane (HAL), isoflurane (ISO) or sevoflurane (SEV) requirements in dogs undergoing ovariohysterectomy...
- Bispectral index monitoring: appreciated but does not affect drug dosing and hypnotic levelsM L Lindholm
Department for Physiology and Pharmacology Section for Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:88-94. 2008..We investigated how increasing experience from BIS in clinical practice affect the hypnotic level, drug consumption, as well as subjective opinions on this monitoring...
- Mask induction of anaesthesia with isoflurane or sevoflurane in premedicated catsP Lerche
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
J Small Anim Pract 43:12-5. 2002..Both sevoflurane and isoflurane produced mask induction of anaesthesia of a similar quality in this species. Sevoflurane provided more rapid induction of anaesthesia and establishment of a controlled airway than isoflurane...
- [Is entropy a monitor for the guidance of intraoperative analgesia?]E Dierckens
clinique d anesthésie réanimation, Hopital Huriez, CHRU de Lille, rue Michel Polonowski, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 26:113-8. 2007..Comparison between BIS (Bispectral Index) and state (SE) and response (RE) entropy during laparotomy for inflammatory bowel disease patients (IBD) and evaluation of the variations of RE and SE during nociceptive stimulation...
- Intracranial pressure and cerebral hemodynamic in patients with cerebral tumors: a randomized prospective study of patients subjected to craniotomy in propofol-fentanyl, isoflurane-fentanyl, or sevoflurane-fentanyl anesthesiaKurt D Petersen
Department of Anesthesia and Neurosurgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Anesthesiology 98:329-36. 2003..Controlled studies concerning ICP, degree of dural tension, and degree of cerebral swelling are therefore warranted...
- Effect of total intravenous anaesthesia and balanced anaesthesia on the frequency of coughing during emergence from the anaesthesiaM Hohlrieder
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Br J Anaesth 99:587-91. 2007..The effects of total intravenous anaesthesia (TIVA) and balanced anaesthesia (BAL) on coughing during emergence from the general anaesthesia have not yet been compared...
- A comparison of three anesthetic techniques in patients undergoing craniotomy for supratentorial intracranial surgeryPekka Talke
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Anesth Analg 95:430-5, table of contents. 2002..We conclude that the sequential administration of isoflurane and propofol did not provide earlier recovery and cognition than the intraoperative use of isoflurane alone...
- Mivacurium infusion requirement and spontaneous recovery of neuromuscular transmission in children anaesthetized with nitrous oxide and fentanyl, halothane, isoflurane or sevofluraneB Woloszczuk-Gebicka
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Therapy, Memorial Children s Health Institute, Warsaw, Poland
Paediatr Anaesth 12:511-8. 2002..Forty children, aged 3-11 years, ASA I or II, were allocated at random to receive N2O/O2-fentanyl or 1 MAC halothane, isoflurane or sevoflurane-N2O/O2 anaesthesia. Mivacurium was used for muscle relaxation...
- Evaluation of induction characteristics and hypnotic potency of isoflurane and sevoflurane in healthy dogsErik H Hofmeister
Department of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Am J Vet Res 69:451-6. 2008..To determine induction characteristics and the minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) at which consciousness returned (MACawake) in dogs anesthetized with isoflurane or sevoflurane...
- [The use of laryngeal mask airway in esophagogastroduodenoscopy in children]P Orfei
I Facoltà, Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione, Universita degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 68:77-82. 2002..This study proposes the use of sevoflurane administered through LMA...
- [Low flow anaesthesia with isoflurane and sevoflurane in the dog]Sabine Kramer
Klinik für Kleintiere, Stiftung Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 121:53-65. 2008..Even considering that sevoflurane is more expensive than isoflurane, the use of the low flow technique decreases the cost of anaesthesia due to the reduced volatile anaesthetic consumption...
- Inhalation anaesthesia is cost-effective for ambulatory surgery: a clinical comparison with propofol during elective knee arthroscopyA Dolk
Departments of Orthopaedics, Sabbatsberg Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Anaesthesiol 19:88-92. 2002..Inhalation anaesthesia with desflurane or sevoflurane is compared in this study with propofol delivered by the target controlled infusion technique. Directly measured drug consumption and costs and emergence times are compared...
- Isoflurane inhalation enhances increased physiologic deadspace volume associated with positive pressure ventilation and compromises arterial oxygenationClaudia Praetel
University of Florida College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Gainesville, FL 32610 0254, USA
Anesth Analg 99:1107-13, table of contents. 2004..These findings may apply to subjects with compromised pulmonary function (i.e., acute respiratory distress syndrome or severe inhalational burn injury)...
- Induction and recovery characteristics and cardiopulmonary effects of sevoflurane and isoflurane in bald eaglesPriscilla H Joyner
Wildlife Center of Virginia, PO Box 1557, Waynesboro, VA 22980, USA
Am J Vet Res 69:13-22. 2008..To compare induction and recovery characteristics and cardiopulmonary effects of isoflurane and sevoflurane in bald eagles. Animals-17 healthy adult bald eagles...
- Regarding sevoflurane and emergence agitation...again!Fidelma Flynn
Paediatr Anaesth 18:82-3; author reply 83. 2008
- A comparison of airway responses during desflurane and sevoflurane administration via a laryngeal mask airway for maintenance of anesthesiaRachel W Eshima
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0648, USA
Anesth Analg 96:701-5, table of contents. 2003..Both anesthetics may be delivered effectively via a laryngeal mask airway, with minimal evidence of airway irritation...
- Treacher Collins syndrome with choanal atresia: one way to handle the airwayEva Nilsson
Paediatr Anaesth 14:700-1. 2004
- [Prophylaxis of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in children undergoing strabismus surgery. Sevoflurane/N2O plus dimenhydrinate vs.propofol/remifentanil plus dimenhydrinate]R Biallas
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel
Anaesthesist 52:586-95. 2003..In this study we investigated, whether TIVA is superior to inhalation anaesthesia concerning PONV when a prophylaxis using dimenhydrinate (diphenhydramine chlorotheophyllate) is administered in both groups...
- Sevoflurane: an ideal agent for adult day-case anesthesia?S Ghatge
Department of Anaesthesia, Keele University University Hospital of North Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, UK
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:917-31. 2003..The tolerability and low solubility of sevoflurane facilitate titration of anaesthesia and may reduce the need for opioid analgesia, which in turn may limit the occurrence of nausea and vomiting...
- Airway responses to sevoflurane vs. desflurane: comparing apples to oranges?Thomas Ebert
Anesth Analg 97:1206; author reply 1206-7. 2003
- [Comparison of sevoflurane/nitrous oxide and thiopental/fentanyl in anesthesia for minor gynecologic surgery]Carlos Navarro Núñez
Unidad de Investigación Epidemiológica y en Servicios de Salud, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Colima
Ginecol Obstet Mex 71:284-90. 2003..We conclude that sevofluranenitrous-oxide is preferable to thiopental-fentanyl in ultra-short anaesthesia for minor gynaecological surgery...
- Hypercapnia shortens emergence time from inhaled anesthesia in pigsNishant A Gopalakrishnan
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Anesth Analg 104:815-21. 2007..This study shows that in addition to hyperventilation, hypercapnia (CO2 infusion or rebreathing) is a significant factor in decreasing emergence time from inhaled anesthesia...
- Pollution of ambient air by volatile anesthetics: a comparison of 4 anesthetic management techniquesJoy C Barberio
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Graduate School of Nursing, Nurse Anesthesia Program, Bethesda, MD, USA
AANA J 74:121-5. 2006..Future studies should examine other methods of controlling WAG levels and use time-weighted averages to help address clinical significance...
- A comparison of liver function after hepatectomy in cirrhotic patients between sevoflurane and isoflurane in anesthesia with nitrous oxide and epidural blockTomoki Nishiyama
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Anesth Analg 98:990-3, table of contents. 2004..Whether sevoflurane might be a better anesthetic when combined with N(2)O and epidural block for cirrhotic patients than isoflurane with respect to liver damage remains to be determined...
- Desflurane versus sevoflurane for laparoscopic gastroplasty in morbidly obese patientsManuel C Vallejo
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Pittsburgh, Magee Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Clin Anesth 19:3-8. 2007..To determine if desflurane results in a faster emergence as measured by time to eye opening compared to sevoflurane in morbidly obese patients undergoing laparoscopic gastroplasty...
- Inhalational induction of anaesthesia with 8% sevoflurane in children: conditions for endotracheal intubation and side-effectsF Wappler
University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Department of Anaesthesiology, Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:548-54. 2003..This study was designed to assess the conditions for endotracheal intubation or insertion of a laryngeal mask airway following an inhalational induction using 8% sevoflurane and nitrous oxide without the use of muscle relaxants or opioids...
- [Anesthesia with remifentanil for thoracoscopic thymectomy in a girl with myasthenia gravis]J de Vicente Sánchez
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 54:58-9. 2007
- Effect of morbid obesity on kinetic of desflurane: wash-in wash-out curves and recovery timesG La Colla
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 73:275-9. 2007..The aim of this paper was to compare wash-in and wash-out curves of desflurane in morbidly obese and nonobese patients...
- [Fiberoptic intubation in adult patients with predictive signs of difficult intubation: inhalational induction using sevoflurane and an endoscopic facial mask]J C Favier
Service de Reanimation Polyvalente, Departement d Anesthésie Réanimation Urgences, HIA Legouest, BP10, 57998, Metz Armee, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:96-102. 2003..To evaluate the combination of inhalational induction with sevoflurane and fiberoptic intubation through a specific facial mask for anticipated difficult tracheal intubation (DI) in adults...
- Nocturnal episodic hypoxemia after ambulatory breast cancer surgery: comparison of sevoflurane and propofol-fentanyl anesthesiaGotaro Shirakami
Day Surgery Unit, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Japan
J Anesth 20:78-85. 2006..To study the incidence and severity of nocturnal episodic hypoxemia after ambulatory breast cancer surgery and its differences with sevoflurane and propofol anesthesia...
- Effects of intravenous anesthesia with propofol on regional cortical blood flow and intracranial pressure in surgery for moyamoya diseaseKen ichiro Kikuta
Department of Neurosurgery, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Surg Neurol 68:421-4. 2007The aim of this study was to compare the effects of inhalation anesthesia with sevoflurane and intravenous anesthesia with propofol on ICP and rCoBF during revascularization surgery for patients with MMD.
- Occupational exposure to inhalational anesthetics during cardiac surgery on cardiopulmonary bypassStephan Mierdl
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Control, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1924-7; discussion 1927-8. 2003..We determined if occupational exposure of operating room personnel to waste anesthetic gases during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) complies with the established governmental limits...
- [Anesthesia in a patient with acute strangulation of a massive diaphragmatic hernia]E M Pastor Tomás
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 50:210-2. 2003
- Inhalation anesthesia in Dumeril's monitor (Varanus dumerili) with isoflurane, sevoflurane, and nitrous oxide: effects of inspired gases on induction and recoveryMads F Bertelsen
Toronto Zoo, 361A Old Finch Avenue, Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
J Zoo Wildl Med 36:62-8. 2005Induction and recovery from inhalation anesthesia of Dumeril's monitors (Varanus dumerili) using isoflurane, sevoflurane, and nitrous oxide (N2O) were characterized using a randomized crossover design...
- Perioperative anxiety and postoperative behavioural disturbances in children undergoing intravenous or inhalation induction of anaesthesiaIsabel M Aguilera
Department of Anaesthesia, University Hospital Cardiff, Cardiff, Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Manchester Children s Hospital, Pendlebury, Manchester, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 13:501-7. 2003..v. induction with thiopental and inhalation induction with sevoflurane for routine ear, nose and throat surgery...
- Sevoflurane for interventional neuroradiology procedures is associated with more rapid early recovery than propofolHugo E Castagnini
Neuroradiology Research Institute FLENI, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Can J Anaesth 51:486-91. 2004..Sevoflurane and propofol are both suitable for neuroanesthesia but have not previously been compared as maintenance agents for long duration (one to five hours) procedures...
- Tutorial: context-sensitive decrement times for inhaled anestheticsEdmond I Eger
Department of Anesthesia, S 455, University of California San Francisco, CA 94143 0464, USA
Anesth Analg 101:688-96, table of contents. 2005..These changes are shown to be the result of the relative solubility of each anesthetic in blood and tissue. An increase in cardiac output is also shown to delay awakening...
- Recovery after anesthesia for short pediatric oncology procedures: propofol and remifentanil compared with propofol, nitrous oxide, and sevofluraneHilary R Glaisyer
Department of Anaesthesia, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, Great Ormond Street, London, WC1N 3JH, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 100:959-63. 2005..Parents more often preferred propofol with remifentanil...
- No difference in emergence time and early cognitive function between sevoflurane-fentanyl and propofol-remifentanil in patients undergoing craniotomy for supratentorial intracranial surgeryG Magni
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 17:134-8. 2005..37). Our study demonstrates that there is no patient benefit of using total intravenous anesthesia with an ultra-short-acting opioid over the conventional balanced volatile technique in terms of recovery and cognitive functions...
- Time course and train-of-four fade of mivacurium block during sevoflurane and intravenous anaesthesiaJ Barrio
Hospital Arnau de Vilanova, Department of Anaesthesiology, Valencia, Spain
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:303-6. 2005....
- Low flow desflurane and sevoflurane anaesthesia in childrenY Isik
University of Gaziantep, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:60-4. 2006..Low flow desflurane and sevoflurane anaesthesia were administered to children and compared for haemodynamic response, renal and hepatic function, recovery time and postoperative nausea and vomiting...
- Respiratory reflex responses of the larynx differ between sevoflurane and propofol in pediatric patientsChristine Oberer
Division of Anesthesiology, University Children s Hospital Beider Basel, 8 Roemergasse, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 103:1142-8. 2005....
- Recovery profile for magnetic resonance imaging in pediatric daycase--sevoflurane vs. isofluraneMohamed Bilal Delvi
Dept of Anaesthesia and ICU, College of Med, King Saud Univ Riyad, SA
Middle East J Anesthesiol 19:205-11. 2007..We compared two inhalational anesthetics, namely sevoflurane and isoflurane, for the recovery profile of each with aim to determine the ideal drug for early discharge of children...
- [Propofol for paediatric patients in ear, nose and throat surgery. Practicability, quality and cost-effectiveness of different anaesthesia procedures for adenoidectomy in infants]K Auerswald
Klinik und Poliklinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitatsklinikum, Liebigstrasse 20a, 04103 Leipzig AöR
Anaesthesist 55:846-53. 2006..The aim of this study was an improvement in patient comfort, reduction of anaesthesia costs and room contamination by the use of propofol for adenoidectomy...
- Intraoperative motor-evoked potential monitoring in scoliosis surgery: comparison of desflurane/nitrous oxide with propofol total intravenous anesthetic regimensYew Long Lo
Department of Neurology, National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 18:211-4. 2006..A prospective, randomized study in a large general hospital setting...
- The comparative effects of sevoflurane versus isoflurane on cerebrovascular carbon dioxide reactivity in patients with previous strokeYuji Kadoi
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Hospital, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
J Anesth 22:135-9. 2008..We examined the comparative effects of sevoflurane versus isoflurane on cerebrovascular CO2 reactivity in patients with previous stroke...
- Inhalation versus total intravenous anesthesia for lumbar disc herniation: comparison of hemodynamic effects, recovery characteristics, and costZ Ozkose
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 13:296-302. 2001..14 dollars, respectively) ( P < .05). Total intravenous anesthesia was associated with the highest intraoperative cost but provided the most rapid recovery from anesthesia, and the least frequent postoperative side effects...
- Similar recovery from bispectral index-titrated isoflurane and sevoflurane anesthesia after outpatient gynecological surgeryElina R J Seitsonen
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Anesth 18:272-9. 2006..To test the hypothesis that the recovery of gynecological day-case patients is equally fast after isoflurane and sevoflurane anesthesia, when administration of the inhaled agent is adjusted by monitoring the bispectral index (BIS)...
- Effects of nitrous oxide on mask induction of anesthesia with sevoflurane or isoflurane in dogsT Mutoh
Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Am J Vet Res 62:1727-33. 2001..The benefits provided by N2O attributable to concentrating and second gas effects appear minimal in healthy dogs when low solubility inhalation agents such as isoflurane and sevoflurane are used for mask induction...
- A comparison of the transient hyperemic response test and the static autoregulation test to assess graded impairment in cerebral autoregulation during propofol, desflurane, and nitrous oxide anesthesiaR K Tibble
University Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Queen's Medical Centre and City Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 93:171-6. 2001..Implications: When compared with the established test of static autoregulation, the transient hyperemic response test provides a valid method for assessing graded impairment in cerebral autoregulation...
- [General anesthesia in mentally disabled patients undergoing dental surgery]M F Mirón Rodríguez
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Reanimación y Terapdutica del Dolor, Complejo Hospitalario Universitario de Badajoz, Hospital Universitario Materno Infantil La Paz, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 55:137-43. 2008....
- Clinical experience of airway management and tracheal intubation under general anesthesia in patients with scar contracture of the neckFu Shan Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:989-97. 2008..This retrospective clinical study was designed to evaluate the possibility, safety and efficacy of airway management and tracheal intubation under general anesthesia in such patients...
- Interaction between nondepolarizing neuromuscular blocking agents and inhalational anestheticsJ Swen
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Leiden, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 69:752-5. 1989..presented data based on administration of nondepolarizing neuromuscular blocking agents to patients given inhalation anesthesia for 30-45 min, no data exist on the interaction in a clinical situation where the relaxant is administered ..
- [Relation between oxygen consumption and cardiac output during inhalation anesthesia under the influence of catecholamines. A study in dogs]T W Scheeren
Institut für Klinische Anaesthesiologie, Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf
Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther 35:214-9. 2000..It is unknown, however, if this fundamental physiological principle operates also during inhalation anaesthesia and catecholamine therapy, both known to be associated with changes of cardiac output (Q) and VO2 in opposite directions...
- Failure of neuroprotection by embryonic striatal grafts in a double lesion rat model of striatonigral degeneration (multiple system atrophy)Z Puschban
Neurological Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
Exp Neurol 164:166-75. 2000..Male Wistar rats received under halothane inhalation anesthesia a 6-hydroxydopamine 6-OHDA injection into the left medial forebrain bundle...
- PET imaging of brain with the beta-amyloid probe, [11C]6-OH-BTA-1, in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseHiroshi Toyama
Department of Radiology, Fujita Health University, 1 98, Dengakugakubo, Kutsukake, Toyoake, 470 1192, Aichi, Japan
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 32:593-600. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the capacity of [11C]6-OH-BTA-1 and positron emission tomography (PET) to quantify beta-amyloid (Abeta) plaques in the Tg2576 mouse model of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- A prospective, randomized comparison of the effects of inhaled sevoflurane anesthesia and propofol/remifentanil intravenous anesthesia on salivary excretion during laryngeal microsurgeryJin Gu Kang
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50, Irwon dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, 135 710, Korea
Anesth Analg 106:1723-7. 2008..Sevoflurane inhalation anesthesia and total IV anesthesia with propofol/remifentanil are widely used for anesthesia during laryngeal ..
- Comparison of propofol and isoflurane anesthesia in orthotopic pig-to-baboon cardiac xenotransplantationAndreas Bauer
Clinic for Anaesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilian University Munich, Munich, Germany
Xenotransplantation 14:249-54. 2007..We compared the hemodynamic stability of a propofol- and isoflurane-based anesthetic regimen during oXHTx...
- Effects of anesthesia and blood sampling techniques on plasma metabolites and corticosterone in the ratMyrtha Arnold
Physiology and Behaviour Laboratory, Institute of Food, Nutrition and Health, ETH Zurich, Schorenstrasse 16, 8603 Schwerzenbach, Switzerland
Physiol Behav 99:592-8. 2010..We here compare the effects of four common anesthesia procedures (inhalation anesthesia with ether (EA) or isoflurane (IA) and intraperitoneal injection anesthesia with xylazin/ketamine (XKA) or ..
- The effect of inhalant anesthetic and body temperature on peri-anesthetic serum concentrations of transdermally administered fentanyl in dogsGlenn R Pettifer
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Vet Anaesth Analg 31:109-20. 2004..To determine whether moderate hypothermia during anesthesia significantly affects the serum concentration of transdermally delivered fentanyl and whether halothane or isoflurane affect these concentrations...
- Interferon alpha-2b may impair testicular histology including spermatogenesis in a rat modelE Ulusoy
Department of Urology, University of Mersin School of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Arch Androl 50:379-85. 2004..5 mL of saline injection. All injections were done intraperitoneally 3 times weekly for 3 weeks under inhalation anesthesia. All rats underwent bilateral orchiectomy 30 days after the experiment...
- Ischaemia/reperfusion injury in experimentally induced abomasal volvulus in sheepK Sharifi
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Vet Res Commun 31:575-90. 2007..The abomasum was exteriorized under general inhalation anesthesia and forced into a 180( composite function) anticlockwise rotation around its longitudinal axis, followed ..
- Emergence times are similar with sevoflurane and total intravenous anesthesia: results of a multicenter RCT of patients scheduled for elective supratentorial craniotomyEnrico Lauta
Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit I, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Consorziale Policlinico, Bari, Italy
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 22:110-8. 2010..We designed a Randomized Clinical Trial to test the hypothesis that inhalation anesthesia (sevoflurane/remifentanil--group S) reduces emergence time by 5 minutes compared with intravenous ..
- Remifentanil-propofol in vertebral disk operations: hemodynamics and recovery versus desflurane-n(2)o inhalation anesthesiaMuhammet Gozdemir
Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Department of Anesthesiology, Ankara, Turkey
Adv Ther 24:622-31. 2007..Because of the lack of residual analgesic effects, postoperative analgesic treatment should be initiated immediately in patients undergoing TIVA...
- Stress hormone changes in general anesthesia of long duration: isoflurane-nitrous oxide vs sevoflurane-nitrous oxide anesthesiaTomoki Nishiyama
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, 113 8655 Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Anesth 17:586-91. 2005..We investigated perioperative changes of stress hormone in these two anesthetic methods with duration of more than 10 hours...
- Anterior neck recording of intraoperative somatosensory-evoked potentials in childrenS L Helmers
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:782-6. 1995..of the cortical response in somatosensory-evoked potential monitoring because of the effect of inhalation anesthesia. This has been described as occurring more often in the pediatric group, perhaps because of the continuing ..
- Measurement of peripheral muscle resistance in rats with chronic ischemia-induced paraplegia or morphine-induced rigidity using a semi-automated computer-controlled muscle resistance meterMartin Marsala
Anesthesiology Research Laboratory, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Neurotrauma 22:1348-61. 2005..degrees, and 60 degrees), (ii) variable speed/rate of ankle flexion (2, 3, and 4 sec), (iii) the effect of inhalation anesthesia, (iv) the effect of intrathecal baclofen, (v) the effect of dorsal L2-L5 rhizotomy, or (vi) systemic ..
- Effect of 2 anesthetic techniques on the postoperative proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokine response and cellular immune function to minor surgeryChristine E Schneemilch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Otto von Guericke University, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Clin Anesth 17:517-27. 2005..the influence of 2 established anesthetic techniques: total intravenous anesthesia and balanced inhalation anesthesia (BAL) on the perioperative-induced changes of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs), changes in ..
- [Sevoflurane-N2O inhalation anaesthesia with laryngeal mask airway and propofol-ketamine intravenous anaesthesia in strabismus surgery]Yao Liu
Department of Anaesthesia, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 31:97-9. 2006To investigate the advantages and disadvantages of sevoflurane-N2O inhalation anesthesia with laryngeal mask airway (LMA) and propofolketamine total intravenous anaesthesia in children undertaking strabismus surgery.
- [Prophylactic effect of acupuncture on nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic operation]Ming Wen Ouyang
Department of Anesthesiology, Nanfang Hospital, Nanfang Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 29:915-8. 2009..To explore the prophylactic effect of acupuncture Neiguan (PC 6) on nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic operation...
- Constant positive airway pressure reduces hypoventilation induced by inhalation anesthesiaRobert A Smith
Department of Anesthesiology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612 4799, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:44-50. 2005To discover if reducing respiratory system impedance would increase tidal volume and improve ventilation during inhalation anesthesia.
- High thoracic epidural anesthesia in coronary artery bypass surgery: a propensity-matched studyLuca Salvi
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, IRCCS Centro Cardiologico Monzino, Milan, Italy
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 21:810-5. 2007To assess if 2 different anesthesia strategies, high-thoracic epidural anesthesia (HTEA) plus inhalation anesthesia and total intravenous anesthesia (TIVA) with sufentanil/propofol had different influence on outcomes of coronary artery ..
- Field implantation of intraperitoneal radiotransmitters in Eastern Wolf (Canis lycaon ) pups using inhalation anesthesia with sevofluraneGraham J Crawshaw
Toronto Zoo, 361A Old Finch Avenue, Scarborough, Ontario M1B 5K7, Canada
J Wildl Dis 43:711-8. 2007..b>Inhalation anesthesia provided extremely rapid induction (1 min) and recovery (<3 min) and was completely controllable with ..
- Recovery and pharmacokinetic parameters of desflurane, sevoflurane, and isoflurane in patients undergoing urologic proceduresM Behne
Klinik fuer Anaesthesiologie, Intensivmedizin und Schmerztherapie, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Clin Anesth 11:460-5. 1999To compare the pharmacokinetics and the speed of recovery after inhalation anesthesia with desflurane, sevoflurane, and isoflurane in elective surgery.
- Effect of electroacupuncture to prevent selenite-induced cataract in Wistar ratsAngelino Julio Cariello
Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 69:299-303. 2006..To investigate whether electroacupuncture can prevent selenite-induced cataract in an experimental model...
- Different benefit of bispectal index (BIS) in desflurane and propofol anesthesiaM Luginbuhl
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:165-73. 2003Bispectal index (BIS) monitoring may reduce drug usage and hasten recovery in propofol and inhalation anesthesia. The faster emergence profile of desflurane may reduce the effect of BIS monitoring on recovery from desflurane compared ..
- Efficacy of a low-dose spinal morphine with bupivacaine for postoperative analgesia in children undergoing hypospadias repairSeza Apiliogullari
Assistant Professor in Anesthesiology, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 19:1078-83. 2009....
- Geranylgeranylacetone attenuates septic diaphragm dysfunction by induction of heat shock protein 70Yoshiki Masuda
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Hokkaido
Crit Care Med 31:2585-91. 2003....
- [Effect of target-controlled infusion sufentanil in different doses combined with nitrogen monoxide inhalation on hemodynamics and postoperative recovery]Xue yuan Yang
Department of Anesthesiology, First Hospital of Peking University, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:3325-8. 2007To investigate the effect of target-controlled infusion sufentanil in different doses combined with inhalation anesthesia at 0...
- Efficacy of moxifloxacin compared to teicoplanin in the treatment of implant-related chronic osteomyelitis in ratsKutay Engin Ozturan
Izzet Baysal Medical Faculty, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Bolu, Turkey
J Orthop Res 28:1368-72. 2010..At the end of the treatment, animals were sacrificed by inhalation anesthesia with ether and femora were retrieved and bacterial counts (cfu/g) were determined...
- Comparison of the effects of local and uncontrolled levamisole preparations on mice naturally infected with Aspiculuris tetrapteraErol Ayaz
Yenisehir Ibrahim Orhan Vocational School, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 31:112-4. 2007..On the eighth day, the animals were humanely destroyed using inhalation anesthesia. After euthanasia, parasites in the intestine were also counted...
- Indocyanine green angiography for examining the normal ocular fundus in dogsShinsuke Wakaiki
Department of Companion Animal Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, Rakuno Gakuen University, Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 69:465-70. 2007..infrared-sensitive charged coupled device (CCD), we performed angiography on eight healthy beagles under inhalation anesthesia. ICG angiography enabled clear visualization of the choroidal vasculature, whereas FLUO angiography showed ..
- A new method of multisegment motor pathway monitoring using muscle potentials after train spinal stimulationK Mochida
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokyo Medical and Dental University School of Medicine, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2240-6. 1995..OBJECTIVES. To contrive a useful method of intraoperative motor pathway monitoring under inhalation anesthesia. SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA. Many different kinds of procedures have been reported...
- [The investigation of isoflurane therapy for status asthmaticus patients]Fumiko Iwaku
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Fujigaoka Hospital, Showa University School of Medicine
Arerugi 54:18-23. 2005..attack of bronchial asthma and underwent mechanical ventilation, 8 patients who were treated by isoflurane inhalation anesthesia (Group I) and another 4 patients who were not treated by isoflurane (Group NI) were compared to assess the ..
- [The effect of nicardipine hydrochloride upon the pulmonary arterial pressure]M Terashima
Division of Cardiology, Sendai Shakaihoken Hospital
Masui 46:110-3. 1997..pressure (PAP) undergoing modified radical mastectomy with neuroleptanesthesia (NLA-group; 3 cases) and inhalation anesthesia (N2O+ isoflurane; GOI-group; 3 cases). Systolic arterial pressure was reduced and maintained at 80 mmHg...
- [Compression of a nasotracheal tube in the nasal cavity of a patient with craniofacial fibrous dysplasia]Yoshihiro Takasugi
Department of Anesthesiology, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka Sayama
Masui 57:742-4. 2008..b>Inhalation anesthesia was induced and 8...
- [Standing behavior in horses after inhalation anesthesia with isoflurane (Isoflo) and postanesthetic sedation with romifidine (Sedivet) or xylazine (Rompun)]A Bienert
Klinik fur Pferde, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 110:244-8. 2003....
- Comparison of remifentanil or fentanyl administration during isoflurane anesthesia for coronary artery bypass surgeryMałgorzata Knapik
Chair of Anesthesiology and Intensive Therapy, Medical University of Silesia, Zabrze, Poland
Med Sci Monit 12:PI33-8. 2006..Remifentanil is a new opioid metabolized by non-specific esterases. The aim of our study was to assess whether remifentanil may be superior to fentanyl during isoflurane anesthesia for coronary artery surgery...
- [Bi-level positive airway pressure ventilation for post-extubation respiratory support under deep anesthesia in hypertension patients]Yu guang Xu
Department of Anesthesiology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 31:434-6, 440. 2006..To evaluate the effect of bi-level positive airway pressure ventilation (BiPAP) for post-extubation respiratory support under deep anesthesia in hypertension patients...
- Alterations in host defense associated with inhalation anesthesia and blood transfusionJ P Waymack
Shriners Burns Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio
Anesth Analg 69:163-8. 1989..This susceptibility increased with time after the transfusions but decreased with time after anesthesia. Neither transfusions nor anesthesia altered susceptibility to an intravenous Escherichia coli challenge in rats...
- MR-PET for a Small Animal Imaging CenterJason A Koutcher; Fiscal Year: 2010..and cardiac monitoring to decrease morbidity and improve image quality, in addition to a port for inhalation anesthesia and other gases...
- Endoscopic Tool for Small Animal IntubationSEIFU TEFERRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..animal manipulations come inherent difficulties, among them intubations which are often necessary for inhalation anesthesia. In small animals, placing endotracheal tubes is technically difficult primarily because of the small size ..
- Birth Pangs: A Social History of Obstetric AnesthesiaJacqueline Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2006..4. To explain how controversial medical procedures, like the use of inhalation anesthesia during birth, come to be accepted as standard and beneficial practice...
- ACTION OF INHALED ANESTHETICS ON SYNAPTIC RECEPTORSHoward Wang; Fiscal Year: 1991..Although millions of patients in the United States are subjected to inhalation anesthesia each year, no explanation can be given as to how these compounds act on the brain...
- The Role of the Amygdala in Anesthetic-Induced AmnesiaMICHAEL ALKIRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SITES AND MECHANISMS OF INHALED ANESTHETIC ACTIONSEDMOND EGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANESTHETIC ACTIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will aid the development of newer and safer anesthetics, as well as lead to clinically useful means of modulating the neurotransmitter systems that are themselves modulated by anesthetics. ..
- ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON SENSORIMOTOR INTEGRATIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding how and where anesthetics act will eventually lead to the development of better and safer anesthetics, thereby decreasing peri-operative morbidity and mortality and improving public health. ..
- VOLATILE ANESTHETICS AND RESPIRATORY NEUROTRANSMISSIONEckehard Stuth; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Brain K+ Dynamics, BBB Breakdown & Hemorrhagic Transformation in Ischemic StrokeStephen Jones; Fiscal Year: 2009..This proposal's investigation of the relation of BBB breakdown to HT could lead directly to additional di- agnostic and therapeutic advances in the assessment and management of acute ischemic stroke. ..
- Genes Underlying the Response to Inhaled AnestheticsJames Sonner; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETIC BINDING STUDIESRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genotypic Impact on Outcomes after CABG SurgerySimon Body; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SPINAL NEURAL ACTIVITY--ROLE IN POST ISCHEMIC INJURYMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2001..The role of HSP72 expression in protection will be tested by examining the effects of antisense pretreatment on HSP72 expression and the same three measures of ischemic damage. ..
- Interaction of amyloid beta and inhaled anestheticsRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide the feasibility to extend this hypothesis to animal models and ultimately to clinical studies of the interaction between anesthetics and neurodegeneration. ..
- Oral Care and Respiratory Pathogen ColonizationOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reducing respiratory pathogen colonization in the mouth could significantly reduce the morbidity and cost of VAP. ..
- Does spinal manipulation speed determine neural responseJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2002..Teaching the manual skill of spinal manipulation could be approached from the perspective of quantifying the velocity with which the clinician applies a spinal manipulation. ..
- VERTEBRAL POSITION ALTERS MUSCLE SPINDLE SENSITIVITYJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2006..Spinal manipulation is inherently a biomechanical intervention and the therapeutic successes of spinal manipulation for idiopathic low back pain may relate, in part, to the mechanical component of idiopathic low back. ..
- Ischemic Paraplegia: Modulation by Stem Cell ImplantMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Ischemic Spasticity: Modulation by GAD65 Gene DeliveryMartin Marsala; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF LUMBAR FACET MOVEMENTJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2001....