- Minidose bupivacaine-fentanyl spinal anesthesia for surgical repair of hip fracture in the aged
Department of Anesthesia, Western Galilee Hospital, Nahariya, Israel
Anesthesiology 92:6-10. 2000
b>Spinal anesthesia for surgical repair of hip fracture in the elderly is associated with a high incidence of hypotension...
- Attenuation of the tumor-promoting effect of surgery by spinal blockade in rats
Department of Anesthesiology, Rabin Medical Center, Petach Tikva, Israel
Anesthesiology 94:1066-73. 2001
..Natural killer cell activity was suppressed to a similar extent by surgery and by anesthesia alone. CONCLUSIONS: The addition of spinal blockade to general halothane anesthesia markedly attenuates the promotion of metastasis by surgery...
- A randomized double-blinded comparison of phenylephrine and ephedrine infusion combinations to maintain blood pressure during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery: the effects on fetal acid-base status and hemodynamic control
Warwick D Ngan Kee
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Anesth Analg 107:1295-302. 2008
Phenylephrine and ephedrine are both used to maintain arterial blood pressure during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery. Usually, either drug is given alone but several previous studies have described combining the drugs...
- Small-dose propofol sedation attenuates the formation of reactive oxygen species in tourniquet-induced ischemia-reperfusion injury under spinal anesthesia
Ya Jung Cheng
Department of Anesthesiology, Office for Medical Research Administration, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan 10016, Republic of China
Anesth Analg 94:1617-20, table of contents. 2002
..Blood samples were obtained from the radial artery after spinal anesthesia, 1 min before release of the tourniquet and 5 and 20 min after reperfusion...
- Levobupivacaine versus racemic bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia
Division of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Vienna City Hospital Floridsdorf, Austria
Anesth Analg 94:194-8, table of contents. 2002
..We conclude that intrathecal levobupivacaine is equal in efficacy to, but less toxic than, racemic bupivacaine...
- A comparison of cerebrospinal fluid and plasma urotensin II concentrations in normotensive and hypertensive patients undergoing urological surgery during spinal anesthesia: a pilot study
Jonathan P Thompson
University Department of Anaesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Management, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, United Kingdom
Anesth Analg 97:1501-3. 2003
..for essential hypertension and 10 normotensive controls scheduled to undergo urological surgery under spinal anesthesia) were recruited into this single-blinded cohort study...
- Real-time ultrasound-guided spinal anesthesia in patients with a challenging spinal anatomy: two case reports
K J Chin
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 54:252-5. 2010
b>Spinal anesthesia may be challenging in patients with poorly palpable surface landmarks or abnormal spinal anatomy...
- Transcutaneous acupoint electrical stimulation with the ReliefBand for the prevention of nausea and vomiting during and after cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia
Ashraf S Habib
Department of Anesthesiology, Box 3094, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, 27710
Anesth Analg 102:581-4. 2006
We randomized 94 patients undergoing cesarean delivery with spinal anesthesia to receive transcutaneous acupoint electrical stimulation using the ReliefBand at the P6 point (active group) or an active ReliefBand applied to the dorsum of ..
- General health and knee function outcomes from 7 days to 12 weeks after spinal anesthesia and multimodal analgesia for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
Brian A Williams
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Anesth Analg 108:1296-302. 2009
..We now report the prospectively collected general health and knee function outcomes in the 7 days to 12 wk after surgery in these same patients...
- Intracranial and intraspinal hemorrhage following spinal anesthesia
Unit of Epilepsy and Sleep Diseases, Department of Neurosciences, Santa Maria alle Scotte General Hospital, University of Siena, viale Mario Bracci, 16, 53100, Siena, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:393-6. 2009
b>Spinal anesthesia (SA), accounting for more than 50% of regional anesthesias in the spinal region, is generally perceived as simple and safe. Our purpose is to increase awareness of hemorrhagic complications following SA...
- The incidence and risk factors for hypotension after spinal anesthesia induction: an analysis with automated data collection
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Rudolf Buchheim Strasse 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 94:1521-9, table of contents. 2002
We sought to identify factors that are associated with hypotension after the induction of spinal anesthesia (SpA) by using an anesthesia information management system...
- Evidence that intravenous vasopressors can affect rostral spread of spinal anesthesia in pregnancy
David W Cooper
Department of Anaesthesia, James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, Cleveland, United Kingdom
Anesthesiology 101:28-33. 2004
The authors have previously observed an apparent association between rostral spread of spinal anesthesia and choice of intravenous vasopressor given to maintain maternal systolic arterial pressure during cesarean delivery...
- Combined intrathecal and epidural magnesium sulfate supplementation of spinal anesthesia to reduce post-operative analgesic requirements: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial in patients undergoing major orthopedic surgery
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, La Sapienza University of Rome, II Faculty of Medicine, S Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:482-9. 2007
..We investigated whether supplementation of spinal anesthesia with combined intrathecally and epidurally infused MgSO(4) reduced patients' post-operative analgesia ..
- Prophylactic ephedrine prevents hypotension during spinal anesthesia for Cesarean delivery but does not improve neonatal outcome: a quantitative systematic review
Department of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong, China
Can J Anaesth 49:588-99. 2002
The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effectiveness and safety of ephedrine compared with control when given prophylactically to prevent hypotension during spinal anesthesia for Cesarean delivery.
- Intrathecal drug spread
University Department of Anaesthesia, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK
Br J Anaesth 93:568-78. 2004
- Effects of crystalloid and colloid preload on blood volume in the parturient undergoing spinal anesthesia for elective Cesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Anesthesiology 91:1571-6. 1999
The role of crystalloid preloading to prevent hypotension associated with spinal anesthesia in parturients during cesarean section has been challenged...
- The duration of spinal anesthesia with 5% lidocaine in chronic opium abusers compared with nonabusers
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Shaheed Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
Anesth Analg 105:531-3. 2007
..It has been demonstrated that chronic opium abusers have lower thresholds for pain. In this study we sought to determine whether chronic opium abuse has any effect on the duration of spinal block by local anesthetics...
- Prevention of hypotension by a single 5-mg dose of ephedrine during small-dose spinal anesthesia in prehydrated cesarean delivery patients
M P Vercauteren
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Anesth Analg 90:324-7. 2000
To evaluate the effectiveness of prophylactic ephedrine for the prevention of hypotension associated with spinal anesthesia, 50 parturients undergoing cesarean delivery received either ephedrine 5 mg or saline IV in a double-blinded ..
- Duration of spinal anesthesia with bupivacaine in chronic opium abusers undergoing lower extremity orthopedic surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Taleghani Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Arch Iran Med 10:316-20. 2007
It has been demonstrated that chronic opium abusers have lower thresholds for pain. Spinal anesthesia is a common procedure in anesthesia, which is performed through administration of drugs (usually local anesthetics) in the intrathecal ..
- Intraoperative forced air-warming during cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia does not prevent maternal hypothermia
Alexander J Butwick
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1413-9, table of contents. 2007
..We tested the hypothesis that intraoperative lower body forced air-warming prevents hypothermia in patients undergoing elective cesarean delivery with spinal anesthesia.
- Prevention of spinal anesthesia-induced hypotension in the elderly: comparison between preanesthetic administration of crystalloids, colloids, and no prehydration
Department of Anaesthesia, Cappagh Orthopaedic Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Anesth Analg 84:106-10. 1997
..0 L/70 kg) for prevention of spinal anesthesia-induced hypotension has been challenged recently, after several reports of failure to demonstrate its ..
- Amino acid infusion induces thermogenesis and reduces blood loss during hip arthroplasty under spinal anesthesia
Department of Orthopedics, St Göran Hospital, Stockholm Sweden
Anesth Analg 95:1757-62, table of contents. 2002
..We studied whether amino acids also induce thermogenesis under spinal anesthesia and whether this endogenous heat production reduces bleeding during hip arthroplasty...
- Prophylactic IM small-dose phenylephrine blunts spinal anesthesia-induced hypotensive response during surgical repair of hip fracture in the elderly
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Anesth Analg 95:751-6, table of contents. 2002
..5 and 3 mg on hyperbaric tetracaine spinal anesthesia-induced hypotension in 90 normotensive and hypertensive patients aged >65 yr undergoing surgery for hip ..
- Hemodynamic effects of ephedrine, phenylephrine, and the coadministration of phenylephrine with oxytocin during spinal anesthesia for elective cesarean delivery
Robert A Dyer
Department of Anesthesia, University of Cape Town and New Groote Schuur Hospital, Anzio Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa
Anesthesiology 111:753-65. 2009
Hemodynamic responses to vasopressors used during spinal anesthesia for elective Cesarean delivery, have not been well described. This study compared the effects of bolus phenylephrine and ephedrine on maternal cardiac output (CO)...
- The effects of anesthetic techniques on acute phase response at delivery (anesthesia and acute phase response)
Department of Anaesthesiology, Kirikkale University, School of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Clin Biochem 36:67-70. 2003
..To investigate the effects of anesthetic techniques and delivery types on stress response during uncomplicated delivery...
- Comparison of effects of rapid colloid loading before and after spinal anesthesia on maternal hemodynamics and neonatal outcomes in cesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi City 371 8511, Japan
J Clin Monit Comput 21:125-9. 2007
The effects of colloid loading after spinal anesthesia on hemodynamics in parturients during cesarean section have not been fully understood...
- [Is oxygen therapy truly useful and necessary during elective cesarean section under spinal anesthesia?]
Servicio de Anestesiologia y Reanimacion, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 55:597-604. 2008
..To analyze maternal and fetal well-being with and without the application of oxygen therapy...
- Preload or coload for spinal anesthesia for elective Cesarean delivery: a meta-analysis
Division of Obstetrical Anesthesia and the Obstetrical Anesthesia Research Unit of the Sunnybrook Research Institute, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre at Women s College Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1B2, Canada
Can J Anaesth 57:24-31. 2010
Hypotension following spinal anesthesia for Cesarean delivery is common. Fluid loading is recommended to prevent hypotension, but preload is often ineffective...
- [Four cases of diplopia following spinal anesthesia]
Department of Anesthesiology, Nara Medical University, Kashihara
Masui 54:767-71. 2005
Many complications after spinal anesthesia have been reported, but diplopia is rare. We had four cases of diplopia in 794 cases of spinal anesthesia in three years at Nara Medical University Hospital...
- Spinal anesthesia with hyperbaric levobupivacaine and ropivacaine for outpatient knee arthroscopy: a prospective, randomized, double-blind study
Department of Anesthesiology, Vita Salute University of Milan, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milano, Italy
Anesth Analg 101:77-82, table of contents. 2005
..randomly allocated 91 ASA physical status I-II outpatients undergoing knee arthroscopy to receive unilateral spinal anesthesia with 7.5 mg of hyperbaric ropivacaine 0.5% (group Ropi-7.5, n = 31) or either 7.5 mg (group Levo-7...
- Transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia with lidocaine versus other local anesthetics: a systematic review of randomized, controlled trials
Department of Anesthesiology, Frederiksberg Hospital, Ndr Fasanvej 57, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Anesth Analg 100:1811-6. 2005
Lidocaine has been used for spinal anesthesia since 1948, seemingly without causing concern...
- Foot drop after spinal anesthesia in a patient with a low-lying cord
F U Ahmad
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurosciences Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:233-6. 2006
..We describe a 26-year-old woman who underwent emergency caesarean section under spinal anesthesia. She developed right foot drop immediately after surgery, which gradually recovered over the next 10 months...
- Dose-response effects of spinal neostigmine added to bupivacaine spinal anesthesia in volunteers
S S Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, Virginia Mason Medical Center and the University of Washington, Seattle 98111, USA
Anesthesiology 90:710-7. 1999
..Neostigmine is a novel spinal analgesic that could be a useful adjunct, but no data exist to assess the effects of neostigmine on small-dose bupivacaine spinal anesthesia.
- A similar incidence of transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia with 2% and 5% lidocaine
K F Hampl
Department of Anesthesia, University of Basel Kantonsspital, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 83:1051-4. 1996
Recent reports suggest that transient neurologic symptoms are common after spinal anesthesia with 5% lidocaine...
- Comparison of the effect of two different doses of 0.75% glucose-free ropivacaine for spinal anesthesia for lower limb and lower abdominal surgery
John On Nin Wong
Department of Anesthesiology, St Martin de Porres Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 20:423-30. 2004
We compared the clinical efficacy and safety of two doses of ropivacaine for spinal anesthesia in Chinese patients undergoing lower limb and lower abdominal surgery...
- Prospective study of hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section at Siriraj Hospital: incidence and risk factors, Part 2
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:675-80. 2008
The incidence of hypotension after spinal anesthesia is highest in cesarean section...
- Modifying the baricity of local anesthetics for spinal anesthesia by temperature adjustment: model calculations
Axel R Heller
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden, Germany
Anesthesiology 105:346-53. 2006
..LAs become hypobaric and therefore may cranially ascend during spinal anesthesia in an uncontrolled manner...
- The effects of spinal anesthesia with lidocaine and sufentanil on lower urinary tract functions
Ed T Kamphuis
Department of Anesthesiology, Rijnstate Ziekenhuis, Postbus 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 107:2073-8. 2008
..Intrathecal opioids cause dose-dependent suppression of detrusor contractility. We studied the effects of spinal anesthesia with a combination of lidocaine and sufentanil on lower urinary tract function.
- Extent of hyperbaric spinal anesthesia influences the duration of spinal block
N E Kooger Infante
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 92:1319-23. 2000
The influence of spread of spinal anesthesia on the duration of spinal blockade has been suggested but never investigated specifically...
- Spinal anesthesia for transurethral resection operations: bupivacaine versus levobupivacaine
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Minerva Anestesiol 74:697-701. 2008
This study tested the hypothesis that 0.5% levobupivacaine might be a good alternative to 0.5% plain bupivacaine for local spinal anesthesia during transurethral resection (TUR) operations.
- Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome with vasospasm in a postpartum woman after postdural puncture headache following spinal anesthesia
Chiu Ming Ho
Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 105:770-2. 2007
We describe a postpartum woman who, after an uneventful pregnancy, developed posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome after spinal anesthesia, complicated by postdural puncture headache.
- Oxygenation status of cervical carcinomas before and during spinal anesthesia for application of brachytherapy
Hajo Dirk Weitmann
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiobiology, University of Vienna, General Hospital of Vienna, Austria
Strahlenther Onkol 179:633-40. 2003
To date, no information is available concerning the impact of spinal anesthesia on the oxygenation status of carcinomas of the uterine cervix...
- Spinal anesthesia with two different dosages of 0.75% glucose-free ropivacaine: a comparison of efficacy and safety in Chinese parturients undergoing cesarean section
John On Nin Wong
Department of Anesthesiology, Pain Management, Critical Care Medicine and Palliative Medicine, St Martin de Porres Hospital, 565, Da Ya Road, Sec 2, Chia yi City 600, Taiwan, R O C
Acta Anaesthesiol Sin 41:131-8. 2003
..We compared the clinical efficacy and safety between 2 doses of 2.5 ml (18.75 mg) and 3 ml (22.5 mg) of 0.75% glucose free spinal ropivacaine in Chinese parturients undergoing Cesarean section...
- Successful spinal anesthesia in a patient with Huntington's chorea
Anesth Analg 103:512-3. 2006
- Transient restless legs syndrome after spinal anesthesia: a prospective study
Department of Neurology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Neurology 59:1705-7. 2002
To assess the incidence and time course of new-onset restless legs syndrome (RLS) after spinal anesthesia.
- [Appropriate dose of isobaric bupivacaine with fentanyl in spinal anesthesia for cesarean section]
Department of Anesthesiology, Kansai Medical University Hospital, Moriguchi 570 8506
Masui 54:864-8. 2005
b>Spinal anesthesia combined with fentanyl is commonly used for cesarean section. We studied the appropriate dose of isobaric bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia when combined with a fixed dose of 20 microg fentanyl.
- The use of ultrasound to facilitate spinal anesthesia in a patient with previous lumbar laminectomy and fusion: a case report
Ki Jinn Chin
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Ultrasound 37:482-5. 2009
We describe a case of ultrasound (US)-facilitated spinal anesthesia in a patient with a prior lumbar laminectomy and spinal fusion who presented for total knee arthroplasty...
- Spinal anesthesia for Cesarean delivery in a parturient with Arnold-Chiari type I malformation
Krzysztof M Kuczkowski
Can J Anaesth 51:639. 2004
- Hetastarch co-loading is as effective as pre-loading for the prevention of hypotension following spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery
Department of Anesthesiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 18:150-5. 2009
Pre-loading with hetastarch decreases the incidence and severity of hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery...
- Clonidine combined with small-dose bupivacaine during spinal anesthesia for inguinal herniorrhaphy: a randomized double-blinded study
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Anesth Analg 96:1496-503, table of contents. 2003
..double-blinded study was to see whether the addition of small-dose clonidine to small-dose bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia prolonged the duration of postoperative analgesia and also provided a sufficient block duration that would ..
- Learning manual skills in spinal anesthesia and orotracheal intubation: is there any recommended number of cases for anesthesia residency training program?
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 84:S251-5. 2001
..To determine the learning process of 150 attempts of spinal anesthesia and 100 attempts of orotracheal intubation, the two most frequent anesthetic procedures, we evaluated 9 ..
- Comparison of metaraminol and ephedrine infusions for maintaining arterial pressure during spinal anesthesia for elective cesarean section
W D Ngan Kee
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin
Anesthesiology 95:307-13. 2001
..Although ephedrine is usually recommended as the first-line vasopressor in obstetrics, its superiority over other vasopressors has not been proven in humans...
- [Intrathecal fentanyl reduces the dose of propofol required for sedation during spinal anesthesia]
V Contreras Dominguez
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Hospital Clinico Regional de Concepción, Chile
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 54:421-4. 2007
To assess the effects of 2 dosages of intrathecal fentanyl on the requirement for propofol infused intravenously for the sedation of patients under spinal anesthesia.
- Intrathecal clonidine decreases propofol sedation requirements during spinal anesthesia in infants
Yatindra K Batra
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Paediatr Anaesth 20:625-32. 2010
..is a popular agent for providing procedural sedation in pediatric population during lumbar puncture and spinal anesthesia. Adjuvants like clonidine and fentanyl are administered intrathecally to prolong the duration of spinal ..
- Comparison of maternal satisfaction between epidural and spinal anesthesia for elective Cesarean section
P J Morgan
Department of Anesthesia, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 47:956-61. 2000
..because of the availability of non-cutting spinal needles, many institutions have changed from epidural to spinal anesthesia. The purpose of this study was to compare maternal satisfaction between epidural and spinal anesthesia for ..
- Phantom limb pain induced by spinal anesthesia
André Prato Schmidt
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 60:263-4. 2005
- Spinal anesthesia for transurethral prostatectomy in a patient with multiple system atrophy
Jean Marc Malinovsky
Can J Anaesth 50:962-3. 2003
- Continuous spinal anesthesia
James M Moore
Department of Anesthesiology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1778, USA
Am J Ther 16:289-94. 2009
Continuous spinal anesthesia (CSA) is an underutilized technique in modern anesthesia practice...
- Prediction of hypotension during spinal anesthesia for Cesarean section and its relation to the effect of crystalloid or colloid preload
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:128-34. 2007
..identified before delivery, this might be a method of predicting hypotension during caesarean section under spinal anesthesia. Colloid preloading is superior to crystalloid in reducing the risk for spinal anesthetic-induced ..
- Continuous spinal anesthesia versus combined spinal epidural block for major orthopedic surgery: prospective randomized study
Luiz Eduardo Imbelloni
Director of Institute for Regional Anesthesia, Hospital de Base, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 127:7-11. 2009
In major orthopedic surgery of the lower limbs, continuous spinal anesthesia (CSA) and combined spinal epidural anesthesia (CSE) are safe and reliable anesthesia methods...
- Intracranial subdural hematoma after spinal anesthesia in a parturient
Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia, USA
Obstet Gynecol 113:570-3. 2009
An intracranial subdural hematoma is a rare and potentially fatal complication of spinal anesthesia.
- Level of sensory block and baricity of bupivacaine 0.5% in spinal anesthesia
Cantonal Hospital Dr Irfan Ljubijankic, Dobrovoljnih darivalaca krvi bb, Bihac, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Med Arh 64:158-60. 2010
Bupivacaine is anesthetic often used in spinal anesthesia in the hyperbaric form (with factory-made incorporated 8.25% glucose), and in isobaric form without additives, (so-called "plain")...
- The Thai Anesthesia Incidents Monitoring Study (Thai AIMS) of adverse events after spinal anesthesia: an analysis of 1996 incident reports
Department ofAnesthesiology, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 92:1033-9. 2009
..To study the incidents of complications, adverse events and anesthetic profiles ofspinal anesthesia from primary to tertiary hospitals across Thailand...
- Spread of spinal anesthesia in patients having perianal surgery in the jackknife position: effects of baricity of 0.5% bupivacaine and positioning during and after induction of spinal anesthesia
Division of Anesthesia, Tonami General Hospital, Tonami, Toyama, Japan
J Clin Anesth 21:408-13. 2009
..To compare the influence of baricity and patient positioning during onset of subarachnoid block in patients placed in the prone, jackknife position with head-down tilt of 15 degrees ...
- Meningitis following spinal anesthesia: 6 cases in 5 years
Haifa District Health Office, Haifa, Israel
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1187-90. 2007
We describe 6 cases of meningitis after spinal anesthesia associated with a single anesthesiologist over the course of 5 years. The earliest case occurred in 2000, and the other 5 cases occurred over the course of 14 months in 2004-2005...
- Bilateral chronic subdural hematomas with neurologic symptoms complicating spinal anesthesia
Department of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Medical University of Silesia, Al Legionow 10, 31 902 Bytom, Poland
Reg Anesth Pain Med 28:347-50. 2003
Intracranial subdural hematoma is a rare but potentially fatal complication of spinal anesthesia (SA). This case is intended to highlight the importance of careful follow-up of patients with a chronic headache that develops after SA.
- Intracranial subdural hematoma after spinal anesthesia
G Berkel Yildirim
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Dr Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:159-62. 2005
Intracranial subdural hematoma is an exceptionally rare but life-threatening complication of spinal anesthesia. We report a case of intracranial subdural hematoma following spinal anesthesia for cesarean section in a 27-year-old woman...
- Use of spinal anesthesia does not reduce intraoperative blood loss
Robert P Wong
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Urology 70:523-6. 2007
To determine whether the use of spinal anesthesia (versus general anesthesia) will result in lower intraoperative blood loss for radical retropubic prostatectomy.
- Perioperative concentrations of catecholamines in the cerebrospinal fluid and plasma during spinal anesthesia
M J Oehmke
Department of Special Anaesthesia and Pain Control, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:487-92. 2008
..The perioperative course of catecholamine concentrations in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and plasma was examined...
- Periodic leg movements during either epidural or spinal anesthesia in an elderly man without sleep-related (nocturnal) myoclonus
Department of Anesthesia, Mito Saiseikai, General Hospital, Ibaraki, Japan
Sleep 13:262-6. 1990
..periodic leg movements (PLM) observed in an 86-year-old man during either midthoracic epidural anesthesia or spinal anesthesia. The PLM observed were stereotyped (extension of the big toe in combination with partial flexion of the ..
- Eye problem following foot surgery--abducens palsy as a complication of spinal anesthesia
Kamil Cagri Kose
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
MedGenMed 7:15. 2005
..Paralysis of abducens nerve is a very rare complication of lumbar puncture, which is a common procedure most often used for diagnostic and anesthetic purposes...
- Discitis associated with pregnancy and spinal anesthesia
Zahid H Bajwa
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachussetts
Anesth Analg 94:415-6, table of contents. 2002
..No cases of infectious discitis associated with pregnancy and spinal anesthesia have been reported in the English literature...
- Combined low-dose spinal-epidural anesthesia versus single-shot spinal anesthesia for elective cesarean delivery
D H Choi
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:13-7. 2006
..intrathecal bupivacaine/fentanyl and low-dose epidural bupivacaine may be more useful than single-shot spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery in reducing incidences of adverse effects such as hypotension and nausea and in ..
- Spinal anesthesia for inguinal hernia repair in 8-year-old child with myasthenia gravis
Paediatr Anaesth 17:1220-1. 2007
- Metaraminol infusion for maintenance of arterial blood pressure during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery: the effect of a crystalloid bolus
W D Ngan Kee
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
Anesth Analg 93:703-8. 2001
..no bolus (Control Group, n = 31) or 20 mL/kg lactated Ringer's solution (Bolus Group, n = 35) IV before spinal anesthesia. An infusion of metaraminol started at 0...
- Prevention of hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section: 6% hydroxyethyl starch 130/0.4 (Voluven) versus lactated Ringer's solution
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, CHU Hôtel Dieu de France Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon
J Med Liban 56:203-7. 2008
The aim of this study is to compare the efficacy of HES 130/0.4, a new hydroxyethyl starch, to lactated Ringer's solution (LR) in the prevention of hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section (CS).
- The feasibility of spinal anesthesia with sedation for laparoscopic general abdominal procedures in moderate risk patients
King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Kingdom Saudi Arabia
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:1027-39. 2008
..The previous limitations to the use of spinal anesthesia in laparoscopic surgery were the limited work space, high failure rate, more intra-operative morbidity and ..
- [Fentanyl shows different effects by administration routes on bispectral index during spinal anesthesia in patients undergoing cesarean section]
Department Anesthesiology, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi 570 8507
Masui 55:1393-7. 2006
b>Spinal anesthesia using a local anesthetic with fentanyl has been reported to induce sedation...
- Changes of regional cerebral oxygen saturation during spinal anesthesia
Li Chuan Chu
Department of Anesthesiology, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taitung, ROC
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 45:155-62. 2007
During spinal anesthesia, hemodynamic status is routinely monitored, but this may not give an accurate assessment of cerebral oxygenation...
- Hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section: identification of risk factors using an anesthesia information management system
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, Pain Therapy, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg GmbH, Standort Giessen, Rudolf Buchheim Strasse 7, 35392, Giessen, Germany
J Clin Monit Comput 23:85-92. 2009
To determine risk factors for developing hypotension after spinal anesthesia for cesarean section to prevent obstetric patients from hypotensive episodes potentially resulting in intrauterine malperfusion and endangering the child.
- [Spinal anesthesia in a patient with hemiparesis after poliomyelitis]
Department of Anesthesia, Sakai Hospital in Institute of Basic Clinical Medicine, Kinki University, Sakai 590 0132
Masui 52:1335-7. 2003
..b>Spinal anesthesia using with 7 mg of hyperbaric tetracaine with dextrose solution was performed for this surgery...
- Subhypnotic doses of midazolam prevent nausea and vomiting during spinal anesthesia for cesarean section
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University of Ankara, Turkey
Minerva Anestesiol 73:629-33. 2007
..We aimed to evaluate the efficacy of subhypnotic doses of midazolam and propofol for peripartum nausea and vomiting during regional anesthesia for elective cesarean section in order to prevent emesis in at least 50% of patients...
- [Isobaric and hyperbaric local anesthetic used in spinal anesthesia]
Department of Anesthesia, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 30:325-7. 2005
To reveal the advantages and disadvantages of the application of isobaric and hyperbaric local anesthetic in spinal anesthesia so as to provide reference for clinical practice.
- Is bilateral cerebral subdural hematoma more frequent after epidural anesthesia than spinal anesthesia?
Anesthesiology 105:1277-8; author reply 1278. 2006
- The effects of general vs spinal anesthesia on frontal cerebral oxygen saturation in geriatric patients undergoing emergency surgical fixation of the neck of femur
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba 44281, Israel Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Clin Anesth 17:431-8. 2005
..To assess the effect of regional vs general anesthesia on transcranial cerebral oxygen saturation (rSo2)...
- An ultrasound-assisted approach facilitates spinal anesthesia for total joint arthroplasty
Ki Jinn Chin
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, 399 Bathurst Street, McL 2 405, Toronto, ON M5T 2S8, Canada
Can J Anaesth 56:643-50. 2009
b>Spinal anesthesia can be challenging in patients undergoing total joint arthroplasty because of poorly palpable surface landmarks and age-related changes in the lumbar spine...
- Comparison of spinal anesthesia with combined sciatic-femoral nerve block for outpatient knee arthroscopy
Felix R Montes
Department of Anesthesiology, Fundación Cardio Infantil Instituto de Cardiología, Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia
J Clin Anesth 20:415-20. 2008
To compare spinal anesthesia and combined sciatic-femoral nerve block for outpatient knee arthroscopy.
- Combined spinal epidural causes higher level of block than equivalent single-shot spinal anesthesia in elective cesarean patients
Department of Women s Anesthesia, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Anesth Analg 102:577-80. 2006
- Comparison of general and spinal anesthesia and their influence on hemostatic markers in patients undergoing total hip arthroplasty
Department of Anesthesiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Subdivision of Hemostaseology, University of Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23528 Luebeck, Germany
J Clin Anesth 15:433-40. 2003
..To evaluate the profile of molecular hemostatic markers in patients receiving either spinal or balanced general anesthesia for total hip arthroplasty...
- Arrhythmias during spinal anesthesia for Cesarean section
C L Shen
Department of Anesthesiology, Ton Yen General Hospital, Chu Pei, Hsin Chu, Taiwan
Can J Anaesth 47:393-7. 2000
..However, severe bradycardia, cardiac arrest, and other arrhythmias during spinal anesthesia have been reported and the incidence of intraoperative arrhythmias is not well established...
- Levobupivacaine and bupivacaine in spinal anesthesia for transurethral endoscopic surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Sappasitthiprasong Hospital, Ubon Ratchatani, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:1133-9. 2006
..The objective of the present study was to investigate the clinical efficacy and safety of isobaric solution of levobupivacaine compared with hyperbaric solution of racemic bupivacaine in spinal anesthesia.
- Obstructive sleep apnea uncovered after high spinal anesthesia: a case report
Paul M Wieczorek
Department of Anesthesia, D10 144, Montreal General Hospital, 1630 Cedar Avenue, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1A4, Canada
Can J Anaesth 52:761-4. 2005
- Effect of low-dose ketamine on redistribution hypothermia during spinal anesthesia sedated by propofol
Department of Anesthesiology, Nippon Medical School Second Hospital, 1 396 Kosugi cho, Nakahara ku, Kawasaki, Kanagawa 211 8533, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 71:92-8. 2004
Mild hypothermia is a common complication during spinal anesthesia and may induce a serious adverse outcome...
- Bupivacaine-sparing effect of fentanyl in spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery
D H Choi
Department of Anesthesiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Reg Anesth Pain Med 25:240-5. 2000
Visceral pain decreases in cesarean patients under spinal anesthesia when the dose of local anesthetic is increased. However, larger doses of local anesthetic are associated with higher sensory blocks...
- [Unintentional total spinal anesthesia during cervical epidural block with ropivacaine]
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu
Masui 55:1168-9. 2006
We present a case of unintentional total spinal anesthesia, which occurred during cervical epidural block. A 34-year-old man with complex regional pain syndrome of the right upper arm was treated with epidural block at C7-T1 interspace...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of four fixed rate infusion regimens of phenylephrine for hemodynamic support during spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery
Terrence K Allen
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Anesth Analg 111:1221-9. 2010
..fluid cohydration significantly reduces the incidence of hypotension in women having cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia. The ideal dosing regimen for this purpose is not known...
- Music and ambient operating room noise in patients undergoing spinal anesthesia
Chakib M Ayoub
Department of Anesthesiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Anesth Analg 100:1316-9, table of contents. 2005
..Eighty adults (36 American and 54 Lebanese) undergoing urological procedures with spinal anesthesia and patient-controlled IV propofol sedation were randomly assigned to intraoperative music, white noise, or ..
- The dose-dependent effects of phenylephrine for elective cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Anesth Analg 111:1230-7. 2010
Hypotension is the most common serious side effect of spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery...
- The addition of phenylephrine contributes to the development of transient neurologic symptoms after spinal anesthesia with 0.5% tetracaine
Department of Anesthesiology, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Japan
Anesthesiology 87:771-8. 1997
Recent reports indicate that transient neurologic symptoms commonly occur after single-injection spinal anesthesia with lidocaine. Information regarding tetracaine has been limited to a single case report...
- Lumbosacral cerebrospinal fluid volume is the primary determinant of sensory block extent and duration during spinal anesthesia
R L Carpenter
Department of Anesthesiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine at Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Anesthesiology 89:24-9. 1998
..Although many factors have been identified that affect the extent of spinal anesthesia, correlations are relatively poor and the extent of spread remains unpredictable...
- Music decreases sedative requirements during spinal anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia, Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital and University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Anesth Analg 93:912-6. 2001
..music can influence anxiety and perioperative sedative requirements in outpatients undergoing surgery with spinal anesthesia. We also evaluated the correlation between two anxiety measures, the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory test (..