Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state characterized by loss of feeling or sensation. This depression of nerve function is usually the result of pharmacologic action and is induced to allow performance of surgery or other painful procedures.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH2
Publications368 found, 100 shown here
- Anesthesia in a patient with multiple endocrine abnormalities. Case reportRenato Toledo Maciel
Hospital Universitário Clementino Fraga Filho da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro HUCFF UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Rev Bras Anestesiol 58:172-8. 2008..The patient remained hemodynamically stable even during the pneumoperitoneum. She developed postoperative episodes of hypoglycemia, which motivated the re-operation...
- Low degree of anesthesia increases the risk of neurogenic pulmonary edema developmentJ Sedy
Institute of Experimental Medicine, ASCR, Prague, Czech Republic
Med Hypotheses 70:308-13. 2008..We introduce a new hypothesis that high levels of anesthesia might protect the organism against the development of neurogenic pulmonary edema due to a more pronounced ..
- Population imaging of ongoing neuronal activity in the visual cortex of awake ratsDavid S Greenberg
Department of Cell Physiology, Max Planck Institute for Medical Research, Jahnstrasse 29, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Nat Neurosci 11:749-51. 2008..b>Anesthesia modulated population-wide synchronization and the relationship between firing rate and correlation...
- Bispectral index-guided administration of anesthesia for transsphenoidal resection of pituitary tumors: a comparison of 3 anesthetic techniquesZulfiqar Ali
Department of Neuroanaesthesiology, Neurosciences Center, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:10-5. 2009The main aims of anesthesia for pituitary surgery include maintenance of hemodynamic stability, provision of conditions that facilitate surgical exposure, and a smooth emergence to facilitate a prompt neurologic assessment...
- Deletion of phosphodiesterase 4D in mice shortens alpha(2)-adrenoceptor-mediated anesthesia, a behavioral correlate of emesisAnnette Robichaud
Merck Frosst Centre for Therapeutic Research, Pointe Claire Dorval, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Invest 110:1045-52. 2002..of type 4 cAMP-specific cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) in reversing alpha(2)-adrenoceptor-mediated anesthesia, a behavioral correlate of emesis in non-vomiting species...
- Consciousness and anesthesiaMichael T Alkire
Department of Anesthesiology and The Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, University of California, Irvine, CA 92868, USA
Science 322:876-80. 2008When we are anesthetized, we expect consciousness to vanish. But does it always? Although anesthesia undoubtedly induces unresponsiveness and amnesia, the extent to which it causes unconsciousness is harder to establish...
- Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomitingTong J Gan
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1615-28, table of contents. 2007..and expertise in postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) under the auspices of The Society of Ambulatory Anesthesia. The panel critically evaluated the current medical literature on PONV to provide an evidence-based reference ..
- Cyclic and sleep-like spontaneous alternations of brain state under urethane anaesthesiaElizabeth A Clement
Centre for Neuroscience, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
PLoS ONE 3:e2004. 2008....
- Properties of slow oscillation during slow-wave sleep and anesthesia in catsSylvain Chauvette
Département de Psychiatrie et de Neurosciences, The Centre de Recherche Université Laval Robert Giffard, Laval University, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Neurosci 31:14998-5008. 2011Deep anesthesia is commonly used as a model of slow-wave sleep (SWS)...
- Early childhood exposure to anesthesia and risk of developmental and behavioral disorders in a sibling birth cohortCharles DiMaggio
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University, 622 West 168 St, New York, NY 10032, USA
Anesth Analg 113:1143-51. 2011..However, the clinical relevance of these findings to children undergoing anesthesia remains unclear...
- Arterial waveform analysis in anesthesia and critical careLeon J Montenij
Division of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 24:651-6. 2011..The validity of commercially based hemodynamic monitoring systems is discussed, together with their clinical applications and limitations...
- Stable and dynamic cortical electrophysiology of induction and emergence with propofol anesthesiaJonathan D Breshears
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21170-5. 2010..comprehensive recording of invasive human cortical physiology during both induction and emergence from propofol anesthesia. Propofol-induced transitions in and out of consciousness (defined here as responsiveness) were characterized by ..
- Biomarkers of acute kidney injury in anesthesia, intensive care and major surgery: from the bench to clinical research to clinical practiceE Moore
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Research Centre, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Minerva Anestesiol 76:425-40. 2010..These biomarkers have many potential applications during anesthesia and in the ICU...
- Propofol anesthesia and sleep: a high-density EEG studyMichael Murphy
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Sleep 34:283-91A. 2011..We used high-density electroencephalography (hd-EEG) and source modeling to investigate the cortical processes underlying propofol anesthesia and compare them to sleep.
- Effect of carbon dioxide pneumoperitoneum on development of atelectasis during anesthesia, examined by spiral computed tomographyLena E Andersson
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Anesthesiology 102:293-9. 2005b>Anesthesia per se results in atelectasis development in the dependent regions of the lungs. The effect of pneumoperitoneum on atelectasis formation is not known...
- Anesthesia for a patient with morbid obesity using dexmedetomidine without narcoticsRoger E Hofer
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Can J Anaesth 52:176-80. 2005..To describe the anesthetic management of a patient with extreme obesity undergoing bariatric surgery whose intraoperative narcotic management was entirely substituted with dexmedetomidine...
- Anesthesia leads to tau hyperphosphorylation through inhibition of phosphatase activity by hypothermiaEmmanuel Planel
Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Taub Institute for Alzheimer s Disease Research, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 27:3090-7. 2007Postoperative cognitive dysfunction, confusion, and delirium are common after general anesthesia in the elderly, with symptoms persisting for months or years in some patients...
- Evaluation of anesthesia effects on [18F]FDG uptake in mouse brain and heart using small animal PETHiroshi Toyama
Molecular Imaging Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Nucl Med Biol 31:251-6. 2004This study evaluates effects of anesthesia on (18)F-FDG (FDG) uptake in mouse brain and heart to establish the basic conditions of small animal PET imaging...
- The incidence and nature of adverse events during pediatric sedation/anesthesia with propofol for procedures outside the operating room: a report from the Pediatric Sedation Research ConsortiumJoseph P Cravero
Department of Anesthesiology and Pediatrics, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
Anesth Analg 108:795-804. 2009We used a large database of prospectively collected data on pediatric sedation/anesthesia outside the operating room provided by a wide range of pediatric specialists to delineate the nature and frequency of adverse events associated with ..
- Behavioral state regulation of dendrodendritic synaptic inhibition in the olfactory bulbYusuke Tsuno
Department of Physiology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Neurosci 28:9227-38. 2008..These results provide evidence that behavioral state-dependent global changes in cholinergic tone modulate dendrodendritic synaptic inhibition and the information processing mode in the olfactory bulb...
- Neuronal synchrony during anesthesia: a thalamocortical modelJane H Sheeba
Department of Physics, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YB, United Kingdom
Biophys J 95:2722-7. 2008..The theta- and delta-rhythms are shown to be involved in various sleep stages, and during anesthesia, they undergo changes with the depth of anesthesia...
- Epidemiology of anesthesia-related mortality in the United States, 1999-2005Guohua Li
Center for Health Policy and Outcomes in Anesthesia and Critical Care, Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Anesthesiology 110:759-65. 2009Previous research on anesthesia-related mortality in the United States was limited to data from individual hospitals. The purpose of this study was to examine the epidemiologic patterns of anesthesia-related deaths at the national level.
- Auditory cortical neuron response differences under isoflurane versus pentobarbital anesthesiaS W Cheung
W M Keck Center for Integrative Neuroscience, Department of Otolaryngology, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0342, USA
Hear Res 156:115-27. 2001..of feline primary auditory cortex neurons to simple sounds were compared for isoflurane versus pentobarbital anesthesia in a within subject study control design...
- Anesthesia and the quantitative evaluation of neurovascular couplingKazuto Masamoto
Center for Frontier Science and Engineering, University of Electro Communications, Tokyo, Japan
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 32:1233-47. 2012b>Anesthesia has broad actions that include changing neuronal excitability, vascular reactivity, and other baseline physiologies and eventually modifies the neurovascular coupling relationship...
- From QUOROM to PRISMA: a survey of high-impact medical journals' instructions to authors and a review of systematic reviews in anesthesia literatureKun Ming Tao
Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surgical Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 6:e27611. 2011..It is unknown how many journals mention PRISMA in their instructions to authors, or whether stronger journal language regarding use of PRISMA improves author compliance...
- Review article: simulation in anesthesia: state of the science and looking forwardVicki R LeBlanc
Wilson Centre, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, 1ES 565, Toronto, ON, M5G 2C4, Canada
Can J Anaesth 59:193-202. 2012Within the field of anesthesia, simulation has been used as a tool for training and assessment for over 30 years...
- Anesthetic care and perioperative complications of children with Morquio syndromeMary C Theroux
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Nemours Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE 19899, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 22:901-7. 2012..We emphasize information not readily available in the Anesthesiology literature...
- Visualization of murine intranasal dosing efficiency using luminescent Francisella tularensis: effect of instillation volume and form of anesthesiaMark A Miller
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31359. 2012..delivery via intranasal dosing performed either with differing instillation volumes or different types of anesthesia. FTLVS was rendered luminescent via transformation with a reporter plasmid that constitutively expressed the ..
- Microcirculatory alterations in cardiac surgery: effects of cardiopulmonary bypass and anesthesiaDaniel De Backer
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1396-403. 2009..Heterogeneity in microvascular perfusion is associated with impaired tissue oxygenation. We hypothesized that cardiac surgery with or without cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) could induce microvascular alterations...
- Nerve injury associated with anesthesia: a closed claims analysisF W Cheney
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195, USA
Anesthesiology 90:1062-9. 1999Nerve injury associated with anesthesia is a significant source of morbidity for patients and liability for anesthesiologists...
- Signaling at A-kinase anchoring proteins organizes anesthesia-sensitive memory in DrosophilaMartin Schwaerzel
Saarland University, Faculty 8 3 Life Science, Department of Zoology and Physiology, 66041 Saarbrucken, Germany
J Neurosci 27:1229-33. 2007..Together, our results show that subcellular organization of signaling components plays a key role in memory processing...
- Anesthesia and the old brainJunxia Tang
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Anesth Analg 110:421-6. 2010..In this special article, we summarize the rationale and evidence that the anesthetic per se is a contributor. The evidence at this point is considered suggestive and further research is needed, especially in humans...
- Update on tracheobronchial anatomy and flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in thoracic anesthesiaJavier H Campos
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 22:4-10. 2009This review is focused on tracheobronchial anatomy and the use of flexible fiberoptic bronchoscopy in thoracic anesthesia.
- Risk assessment of postoperative nausea and vomitingChristian C Apfel
Department of Anesthesiology, Outcomes Research Institute, 501 E Broadway, Suite 201, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Int Anesthesiol Clin 41:13-32. 2003
- Modelling general anaesthesia as a first-order phase transition in the cortexMoira L Steyn-Ross
Department of Physics and Electronic Engineering, University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 85:369-85. 2004....
- Serotonin-mushroom body circuit modulating the formation of anesthesia-resistant memory in DrosophilaPei Tseng Lee
Department of Life Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:13794-9. 2011Pavlovian olfactory learning in Drosophila produces two genetically distinct forms of intermediate-term memories: anesthesia-sensitive memory, which requires the amnesiac gene, and anesthesia-resistant memory (ARM), which requires the ..
- Kidney function in mice: thiobutabarbital versus alpha-chloralose anesthesiaT Rieg
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Tubingen, Wilhelmstrasse 56, 72074 Tubingen, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 370:320-3. 2004..precise determination of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) by inulin clearance method require experiments under anesthesia. A good anesthetic protocol should allow for reasonable and stable glomerular and tubular function...
- Successful small intestine colonization of adult mice by Vibrio cholerae requires ketamine anesthesia and accessory toxinsVerena Olivier
Department of Microbiology Immunology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7352. 2009..Successful colonization was found to depend upon anesthesia with ketamine-xylazine and neutralization of stomach acid with sodium bicarbonate, but not streptomycin ..
- The entwined mysteries of anesthesia and consciousness: is there a common underlying mechanism?Stuart R Hameroff
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85718, USA
Anesthesiology 105:400-12. 2006
- Anaphylaxis during anesthesia in Norway: a 6-year single-center follow-up studyTorkel Harboe
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Anesthesiology 102:897-903. 2005..studies have recognized neuromuscular blocking agents as the most common cause of anaphylaxis during general anesthesia, but the reported frequencies vary considerably between countries...
- The use of an anesthesia information management system for prediction of antiemetic rescue treatment at the postanesthesia care unitA Junger
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Rudolf Buchheim Str 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:1203-9. 2001We used an anesthesia information management system (AIMS) to devise a score for predicting antiemetic rescue treatment as an indicator for postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in the postanesthesia care unit (PACU)...
- Less core hypothermia when anesthesia is induced with inhaled sevoflurane than with intravenous propofolT Ikeda
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Anesth Analg 88:921-4. 1999Hypothermia after the induction of anesthesia results initially from core-to-peripheral redistribution of body heat. Sevoflurane and propofol both inhibit central thermoregulatory control, thus causing vasodilation...
- Stimulus onset quenches neural variability: a widespread cortical phenomenonMark M Churchland
Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Nat Neurosci 13:369-78. 2010..This widespread variability decline suggests a rather general property of cortex, that its state is stabilized by an input...
- Bispectral index monitoring allows faster emergence and improved recovery from propofol, alfentanil, and nitrous oxide anesthesia. BIS Utility Study GroupT J Gan
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 87:808-15. 1997..This study determined whether addition of BIS monitoring to standard anesthetic practice results in improvements in the conduct of anesthesia or in patient outcomes.
- Global and local fMRI signals driven by neurons defined optogenetically by type and wiringJin Hyung Lee
Department of Electrical Engineering, Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, Bioengineering, and Radiology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Nature 465:788-92. 2010....
- Heat- and anesthesia-induced malignant hyperthermia in an RyR1 knock-in mouseMihail G Chelu
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
FASEB J 20:329-30. 2006..We conclude that the heterozygous expression of the Y522S mutation confers susceptibility to both heat- and anesthetic-induced MH responses...
- Consensus statement: First International Workshop on Anesthetics and Alzheimer's diseaseDmitri Baranov
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesth Analg 108:1627-30. 2009In order to review the current status of the potential relationship between anesthesia and Alzheimer's disease, a group of scientists recently met in Philadelphia for a full day of presentations and discussions...
- Prevention and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomitingA L Kovac
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7415, USA
Drugs 59:213-43. 2000....
- Melatonin and anesthesia: a clinical perspectiveMohamed Naguib
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Pineal Res 42:12-21. 2007..The exact mechanism(s) by which structurally diverse intravenous and volatile anesthetics produce general anesthesia is still largely unknown, but positive modulation of gamma-aminobutyric acid type A (GABAA) receptor function ..
- Standardization of anesthesia in swine for experimental cardiovascular surgeriesGlaucylara Reis Geovanini
Instituto do Coração da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, FMUSP, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Bras Anestesiol 58:363-70. 2008....
- BOLD signal increase preceeds EEG spike activity--a dynamic penicillin induced focal epilepsy in deep anesthesiaMinna Mäkiranta
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Oulu, Kajaanintie 50, 90220 Oulu, Finland
Neuroimage 27:715-24. 2005..focal epilepsy model, which includes dynamic induction of epileptic activity, simultaneous EEG/fMRI, and deep anesthesia. Reported results are from seven pigs (23 +/- 2 kg) studied under isoflurane anesthesia (1.2-1...
- Neurologic outcomes in very preterm infants undergoing surgeryPeter M Filan
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
J Pediatr 160:409-14. 2012..To investigate the relationship between surgery in very preterm infants and brain structure at term equivalent and 2-year neurodevelopmental outcome...
- Awareness during anesthesia in children: a prospective cohort studyAndrew J Davidson
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, The Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Rd, Parkville 3052, Victoria, Australia
Anesth Analg 100:653-61, table of contents. 2005During routine adult anesthesia, the risk of awareness is 0.1%-0.2%. No recent studies have reported the incidence in children. Altered pharmacology and differing anesthesia techniques suggest that the incidence may differ in children...
- Anesthetics, immune cells, and immune responsesShin Kurosawa
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Tohoku University Hospital, 1 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Anesth 22:263-77. 2008General anesthesia accompanied by surgical stress is considered to suppress immunity, presumably by directly affecting the immune system or activating the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis and the sympathetic nervous system...
- Duration of anesthesia affects intraocular pressure, but not outflow facility in miceLucinda J Camras
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5840, USA
Curr Eye Res 35:819-27. 2010..Ocular measurements in mice require anesthesia that has profound effects on IOP but unknown effects on outflow facility...
- Comparative effects of methamphetamine and nicotine on the striatal [(11)C]raclopride binding in unanesthetized monkeysHideo Tsukada
Central Research Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K K, 5000 Hirakuchi, Hamakita, Shizuoka 434 8601, Japan
Synapse 45:207-12. 2002..In contrast, isoflurane-anesthesia induced a slight but significant dose-dependent reduction of [(11)C]raclopride binding by nicotine even at the ..
- An evaluation of a virtual reality airway simulatorRichard Rowe
Departments of Anesthesiology and Diagnostic Imaging, Children s Hospital Oakland, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Anesth Analg 95:62-6, table of contents. 2002..Residents performed fiberoptic intubation on children undergoing general anesthesia. Tapes of these intubations were analyzed for: time to visualization of the carina, and number and time that the ..
- GPGPU-aided ensemble empirical-mode decomposition for EEG analysis during anesthesiaDan Chen
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 14:1417-27. 2010..entropy facilitated by G-EEMD was, therefore, proposed to analyze the EEG data for estimating the depth of anesthesia (DoA) in a real-time manner...
- Anesthesia, sleep, and upper airway collapsibilityDavid R Hillman
West Australian Sleep Disorders Research Institute, Department of Pulmonary Physiology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Perth, Australia
Anesthesiol Clin 28:443-55. 2010b>Anesthesia and sleep both predispose to upper airway obstruction through state-induced reductions in pharyngeal dilator muscle activation and lung volume...
- Impact of the Hawthorne effect in a longitudinal clinical study: the case of anesthesiaD De Amici
Department of Epidemiology and Clinical Biometry Scientific Direction, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Control Clin Trials 21:103-14. 2000..In anesthesia practice, owing to the particular emotional condition of a patient facing a surgical operation, the Hawthorne ..
- Speaking up is related to better team performance in simulated anesthesia inductions: an observational studyMichaela Kolbe
ETH Zurich, CH 8032 Zurich, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 115:1099-108. 2012..e., questioning, correcting, or clarifying a current procedure--and technical team performance in anesthesia. Hypothesis 1: team members' higher levels of speaking up are related to higher levels of technical team ..
- Capture, anesthesia, and disturbance of free-ranging brown bears (Ursus arctos) during hibernationAlina L Evans
Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management, Hedmark University College, Campus Evenstad, Elverum, Norway
PLoS ONE 7:e40520. 2012..Here we report, for the first time, an effective protocol for the capture and anesthesia of free-ranging brown bears during hibernation and an assessment of the disturbance the captures caused...
- The effect of anesthesia on body temperature controlRainer Lenhardt
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Front Biosci (Schol Ed) 2:1145-54. 2010..Thermoregulation is impaired during general anesthesia. Suppression of thermoregulatory defense mechanisms during general anesthesia is dose dependant and mostly ..
- Long-term differences in language and cognitive function after childhood exposure to anesthesiaCaleb Ing
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 W 168th St, BHN 4 440, New York, NY 10032, USA
Pediatrics 130:e476-85. 2012..safety of anesthetic agents in children has been questioned after the discovery that immature animals exposed to anesthesia display apoptotic neurodegeneration and long-term cognitive deficiencies...
- Dexmedetomidine: current role in anesthesia and intensive careJoana Afonso
Hospital Pedro Hispano, Unidade Local de Saúde de Matosinhos, Portugal
Rev Bras Anestesiol 62:118-33. 2012To update and review the application of dexmedetomidine in anesthesia and intensive care. This study is a comprehensive review of clinical uses, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, mechanism of action and adverse effects of dexmedetomidine.
- Surgery for cancer: does anesthesia matter?James G Bovill
Anesth Analg 110:1524-6. 2010
- The effect of induction of anesthesia and intubation on end-expiratory lung level and regional ventilation distribution in cardiac childrenSusan Humphreys
Paediatric Critical Care Research Group, Mater Children s Hospital, South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Paediatr Anaesth 21:887-93. 2011During the induction of anesthesia, changes in functional residual capacity and ventilation distribution (VD) occur. Although these physiological changes are well investigated in adults, little data are available in infants and children.
- Anaesthesia monitoring using fuzzy logicMirza Mansoor Baig
School of Engineering, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
J Clin Monit Comput 25:339-47. 2011..The main goal of this study is to develop a clinically useful diagnostic alarm system based on fuzzy logic for detecting critical events during anaesthesia administration...
- Statistical grand rounds: design and analysis of studies with binary- event composite endpoints: guidelines for anesthesia researchEdward J Mascha
Departments of Quantitative Health Sciences, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Anesth Analg 112:1461-71. 2011..binary events, such as distinct perioperative complications, are frequently chosen as the primary outcome in anesthesia studies (and in many other clinical specialties) because (1) no single outcome fully characterizes the disease ..
- The effects of anesthesia, mouse strain and age on intraocular pressure and an improved murine model of experimental glaucomaFrances E Cone
Glaucoma Center of Excellence, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Smith Building M002, 400 North Broadway Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Exp Eye Res 99:27-35. 2012..IOP) elevation utilizing microbead injection in two strains of mice and to assess the effect of age and anesthesia on measured IOP...
- Anesthesia for hip replacement surgeryBranko Tripkovic
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Med Glas (Zenica) 9:143-51. 2012..Our recommendation is to always prepare a patient for this procedure, analyse preoperative status, choose optimal anesthetic technique, provide thromboprophylaxis and multimodal pain therapy according to accepted guidelines...
- From system to organ to cell: oxygenation and perfusion measurement in anesthesia and critical carePatrick Schober
Department of Anaesthesiology, VU University Medical Center, De Boelelaan 1117, 1007 MB, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Monit Comput 26:255-65. 2012..This article reviews the basic physiology of oxygen uptake and delivery to tissues as well as the options to monitor determinants of oxygenation at different stages from the alveolus to the cell...
- Combined use of MS-222 (tricaine) and isoflurane extends anesthesia time and minimizes cardiac rhythm side effects in adult zebrafishWei Chang Huang
Department of Medical Science and Institute of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
Zebrafish 7:297-304. 2010..The combined use of MS-222 with isoflurane effectively extended the time of anesthesia, and the zebrafish recovered faster than when anesthetized with the traditional MS-222...
- Anesthesia induces stress in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) and Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus)Inger Hilde Zahl
Institute of Marine Research, Bergen, Norway
Fish Physiol Biochem 36:719-30. 2010Stress in response to anesthesia with benzocaine, MS-222, metomidate and isoeugenol was studied in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar), Atlantic halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus), and Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) with no concomitant stress ..
- Anesthesia for nonobstetric surgery: maternal and fetal considerationsTheodore G Cheek
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 52:535-45. 2009This monograph will review and update our understanding of the administration of anesthesia for nonobstetric surgery and its maternal and fetal effects...
- Cognitive and behavioral outcomes after early exposure to anesthesia and surgeryRandall P Flick
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Pediatrics 128:e1053-61. 2011..the possible significance of these findings in children, we investigated the association between exposure to anesthesia and subsequent (1) learning disabilities (LDs), (2) receipt of an individualized education program for an ..
- Reducing the risk of anaphylaxis during anesthesia: 2011 updated guidelines for clinical practiceP M Mertes
Service d Anesthésie Réanimation Chirurgicale Inserm U911, CHU de Nancy, Hopital Central, Nancy, France
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 21:442-53. 2011..represent the updated consensus of experts in the field of immediate hypersensitivity reactions occurring during anesthesia. They provide a series of valid, widely accepted, effective, and easily teachable guidelines that are the fruit ..
- Factors predictive of patient satisfaction with anesthesiaMaurizia Capuzzo
Department of Surgical, Anesthetic and Radiological Sciences, Section of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University Hospital of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Anesth Analg 105:435-42. 2007In this multicenter prospective study, we identified factors associated with satisfaction with anesthesia in patients staying in hospital at least 24 h after surgery.
- Assessing cortico-hippocampal functional connectivity under anesthesia and kainic acid using generalized partial directed coherenceJiannis Taxidis
School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
Biol Cybern 102:327-40. 2010..medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) and hippocampus and within the hippocampus of the rat brain, under isoflurane anesthesia and kainic acid-induced enhanced neuronal activity...
- Pathomechanisms and complications related to patient positioning and anesthesia during shoulder arthroscopyDerek D Rains
Department of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, 98195 4060, USA
Arthroscopy 27:532-41. 2011..the reports and studies documenting independent and dependent complications related to patient positioning and anesthesia during arthroscopic shoulder surgery...
- Human Alzheimer and inflammation biomarkers after anesthesia and surgeryJunxia X Tang
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Anesthesiology 115:727-32. 2011..The authors studied human cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) biomarkers during surgery...
- Cortical inhibition during burst suppression induced with isoflurane anesthesiaJudy Fay Ferron
Department of Stomatology, School of Medical Dentistry, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
J Neurosci 29:9850-60. 2009..Thus cortical hyperexcitability during BS is favored by suppressed inhibition...
- Anesthesia-related cardiac arrest in children with heart disease: data from the Pediatric Perioperative Cardiac Arrest (POCA) registryChandra Ramamoorthy
Department of Anesthesiology, S tanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Anesth Analg 110:1376-82. 2010From 1994 to 2005, the Pediatric Perioperative Cardiac Arrest Registry collected data on 373 anesthesia-related cardiac arrests (CAs) in children, 34% of whom had congenital or acquired heart disease (HD).
- Anesthesia in the patient with multiple drug allergies: are all allergies the same?Pascale Dewachter
Pôle d Anesthésie Réanimation, Hopital Gabriel Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 24:320-5. 2011..The aim of this review is to facilitate the recognition of risk factors for perioperative anaphylaxis and help the management of patients with 'multiple drug allergies' during the perioperative period...
- Influence of anesthesia on cerebral blood flow, cerebral metabolic rate, and brain functional connectivityVincent Bonhomme
University Department of Anesthesia and ICM, CHR Citadelle, Belgium
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 24:474-9. 2011To describe recent studies exploring brain function under the influence of hypnotic anesthetic agents, and their implications on the understanding of consciousness physiology and anesthesia-induced alteration of consciousness.
- The incidence and risk factors for hypotension after spinal anesthesia induction: an analysis with automated data collectionBernd Hartmann
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Rudolf Buchheim Strasse 7, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
Anesth Analg 94:1521-9, table of contents. 2002We sought to identify factors that are associated with hypotension after the induction of spinal anesthesia (SpA) by using an anesthesia information management system...
- Influence of a brief episode of anesthesia during the induction of experimental brain trauma on secondary brain damage and inflammationClara Luh
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical Center of the Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e19948. 2011It is unclear whether a single, brief, 15-minute episode of background anesthesia already modulates delayed secondary processes after experimental brain injury...
- Anesthetic modulation of neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's diseaseJunxia X Tang
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 24:389-94. 2011To summarize key studies and recent thought on the role of neuroinflammation in chronic neurodegeneration, and whether it can be modulated by anesthesia and surgery.
- Anesthesia for thoracic surgery in morbidly obese patientsJens Lohser
Department of Anesthesiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 20:10-4. 2007..Obese patients have altered anatomy and physiology, and usually have associated comorbid medical conditions that may complicate their operative course and increase their risks for postoperative complications...
- Safety and efficacy of various combinations of injectable anesthetics in BALB/c miceSandra Buitrago
Department of Laboratory Animal Resources, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 47:11-7. 2008..ketamine-xylazine-buprenorphine, and ketamine-xylazine-carprofen--were compared for their ability to produce anesthesia in BALB/c mice...
- Redesigning a morbidity and mortality program in a university-affiliated pediatric anesthesia departmentConor McDonnell
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 36:117-25. 2010..The M&M activities were developed in a university-affiliated pediatric anesthesia department as part of a departmental quality improvement (QI) initiative...
- The effects of sevoflurane and desflurane anesthesia on QTc interval and cardiac rhythm in childrenEbru Aypar
Section of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 17:563-7. 2007..We assessed the effects of desflurane anesthesia on QTc interval and cardiac rhythm and compared them with sevoflurane anesthesia in children.
- Use of in-office anesthesia during non-surgical radiofrequency collagen denaturation for stress urinary incontinenceW Glen Wells
Alabama Research Center, Birmingham, AL 35209, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:1279-84. 2007..This multicenter trial aimed to demonstrate the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of an oral sedation and local anesthetic regimen in performing RF collagen denaturation...
- A protocol for use of medetomidine anesthesia in rats for extended studies using task-induced BOLD contrast and resting-state functional connectivityChristopher P Pawela
Department of Biophysics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Neuroimage 46:1137-47. 2009..In the secondary infusion period using 300 microg/kg/h, resting-state functional connectivity is enhanced...
- Oxygen in neonatal anesthesia: friend or foe?Augusto Sola
Mid Atlantic Neonatology Associates and Atlantic Neonatal Research Institute, Morristown, NJ 07960, USA
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:332-9. 2008..Hypoxemia is due to many pathophysiological causes; avoiding hypoxemia is an important objective during neonatal anesthesia. Nevertheless, the only known cause for hyperoxemia is the excess and unnecessary administration of oxygen by ..
- Bruchpilot, a synaptic active zone protein for anesthesia-resistant memoryStephan Knapek
Max Planck Institut fur Neurobiologie, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Neurosci 31:3453-8. 2011..We further demonstrate that Brp in the Kenyon cells preferentially functions for anesthesia-resistant memory...
- The effects of carbon dioxide anesthesia and anoxia on rapid cold-hardening and chill coma recovery in Drosophila melanogasterTheresa L Nilson
Department of Biological Sciences University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV 89154 4004, USA
J Insect Physiol 52:1027-33. 2006..Exposure to CO(2) anesthesia increases chill coma recovery time, but this effect disappears if the flies are given 90 min recovery in air ..
- Impact of anesthesia on transcranial electric motor evoked potential monitoring during spine surgery: a review of the literatureAnthony C Wang
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 5338, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E7. 2009..b>Anesthesia, however, can significantly affect the reliability of TcMEP monitoring...
- Temporal scaling properties and spatial synchronization of spontaneous blood oxygenation level-dependent (BOLD) signal fluctuations in rat sensorimotor network at different levels of isoflurane anesthesiaKun Wang
LIAMA Center for Computational Medicine, National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
NMR Biomed 24:61-7. 2011..In order to obtain more insights into this relationship and, in particular, the effects of anesthesia thereupon, we investigated the spatial and temporal correlations of spontaneous BOLD fluctuations in ..
- Interaction between anesthesia, gender, and functional outcome task following diffuse traumatic brain injury in ratsChristine A O'Connor
Department of Pathology, University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA, Australia
J Neurotrauma 20:533-41. 2003..some of the contradictory results may be due to the different experimental conditions, including type of anesthesia and the outcome measures employed...
- Complications of anaesthesia in neuromuscular disordersWerner Klingler
Department of Anaesthesiology, Ulm University, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89069 Ulm, Germany
Neuromuscul Disord 15:195-206. 2005....
- Role of NGF in inflammatory and proliferative cascades of psoriatic diseaseSiba P Raychaudhuri; Fiscal Year: 2012..of lesional cutaneous nerves, upregulation of neuropeptides, and clearance of psoriasis at the sites of anesthesia. Psoriatic keratinocytes (KC) express high level of NGF/NGF-R and NGF is mitogeic to KC...
- Exercise training and blood pressure in hypertension: integrated mechanismsNoreen F Rossi; Fiscal Year: 2012..in chronically instrumented, conscious, freely moving rats, thereby minimizing the confounding affects of anesthesia. We use cryoablation of the renal nerve from the kidney with the stenosis rather than surgical denervation...
- Clinical , Mechanical and Chemical Evaluation of Amalgam and ART RestorationsLilliam Marie Pinzon; Fiscal Year: 2013..ART is an "atraumatic" technique as no drilling of teeth or anesthesia is required, thus making it advantageous in certain settings and situations...
- Diagnosis of Subglottic Stenosis and Edema in Neonates Using OCTBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013..Unfortunately, surgery requires general anesthesia and is limited to the characterization of the surface anatomy and does not provide detailed analysis of the sub-..
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulator for ResuscitationKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2011..by: a) designing and manufacturing a commercial version of the ITPR device that can be easily inserted into an anesthesia circuit or attached to a resuscitator bag and vacuum source that includes a manometer, a means to quickly ..
- Clinical and genomic responses to remote ischemic preconditioningBrian W McCrindle; Fiscal Year: 2010..Gene expression profiling will be noted at induction of anesthesia before application of the RIPC stimulus, 15 minutes after RIPC and at 24 after cessation of cardiopulmonary ..
- Pathogenesis of Postoperative Cognitive DysfunctionZhongcong Xie; Fiscal Year: 2013..and A[unreadable] accumulation are associated with cognitive dysfunction, and that surgery without general anesthesia can also lead to POCD in humans, our Preliminary studies in mice have shown that open abdominal surgery under ..
- Connexins in Neuronal and Glial Gap Junctions in the Central Nervous SystemJohn E Rash; Fiscal Year: 2012..awake states, how consciousness is altered during general anesthesia, and how memories are created, and will also be essential for identifying subcellular sites that may become ..
- Macrophage-based Human Gene Therapy for Hereditary PAPBruce C Trapnell; Fiscal Year: 2012..Current therapy is whole lung lavage, a procedure performed under general anesthesia in which one lung is mechanical ventilated while the other is repeatedly filled with warmed saline, mechanically ..
- NICHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units NetworkGeeta K Swamy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further, we have active partnerships across the Duke University campus including pediatrics, anesthesia, infectious diseases, cardiology, hematology, pathology, genetics, pharmacology, epidemiology, research ..
- Hypothermia, anesthesia and NMR metabolomics in ischemic neonatal brain slicesLawrence Litt; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Novel biofilm polymicrobial infection-resistant implants for otologic applicationPaul Stoodley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Tympanostomy is the most common pediatric procedure under general anesthesia in the developed world...
- Improving pain and function in hip fractureR Sean Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project examines the efficacy and effects of 2 regional anesthesia techniques, femoral nerve blocks (FNB) and fascia iliaca blocks (FIB), on the treatment of peri-operative acute ..
- Immediate and Delayed Effects of Morphine on Brain Circuits: Animal and Human CorDusica Bajic; Fiscal Year: 2013..I conducted my postdoctoral training at the same institution (2000-2003), Anesthesia Residency at Yale New Haven Hospital, Yale University (2004-2007), and Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship at ..
- Gluconeogenesis and Glycogenolysis - Role and RegulationAlan D Cherrington; Fiscal Year: 2013..Three weeks before study catheters will be inserted under general anesthesia into the femoral artery, the hepatic portal vein and the hepatic vein, as well as in other vessels and sites as ..
- Intra-operative confocal imaging to guide Mohs surgeryMilind Rajadhyaksha; Fiscal Year: 2012..Patients may benefit with more efficient procedures, less anesthesia and less time in the operating room...
- Mechanisms and translation of lipid resuscitationGuy L Weinberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..ILE is now a principle element in treatment guidelines published by the American Society of Regional Anesthesia, the Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland, the Resuscitation Council (UK) and was added to the most recent ..
- DETERMINANTS OF H. INFLUENZAE VIRULENCE IN OTITIS MEDIALauren O Bakaletz; Fiscal Year: 2013..reasons why children make physician's office and emergency room visits, undergo surgery requiring general anesthesia, and experience hearing loss...
- Fluorescence enhanced optical tomographyEva M Sevick-Muraca; Fiscal Year: 2012..Build an animal bed compatible for CT, PET, and NIR tomography which facilitates administration of anesthesia, maintenance of animal temperature, as well as EKG and respiratory gating;(3) Integrate FDPM data acquisition ..
- Treating cutaneous leishmaniasis by radio-frequency induced heat (RFH) therapyAbhay R Satoskar; Fiscal Year: 2012..This treatment delivers controlled and localized radiofrequencies into lesions for 30-60 seconds under local anesthesia. Several short-term follow-up (4-5 months) studies and one long-term follow-up (12 months) study involving US ..
- Orexin Receptor Agonists for the Treatment of Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and CaPAUL STUART HUMPHRIES; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first model employs an in vivo emergence from anesthesia paradigm in order to efficiently measure the ability of lead compounds to positively affect consciousness...
- Low-cost handheld medical device for neuroaxial anesthesia guidance in the obeseFRANK WILLIAM MAULDIN; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The current standard of care for neuroaxial anesthesia procedures (i.e. epidural and spinal anesthesia) is manual palpation of spinal bone landmarks followed by "blind" needle insertion...
- Propofol and Protein Kinase C: Molecular Interactions in CardiomyocytesDEREK SCOTT DAMRON; Fiscal Year: 2011..Activation of protein kinase C epsilon (PKCe) has been shown to play a key role in mediating anesthesia-induced myocardial protection, however the cellular and molecular mechanisms of activation, whether by ..
- Prompt Diagnosis and Treatment of Subclinical Seizures After Cardiac ArrestAlexis A Topjian; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dr. Alexis Ann Topjian, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), is ..
- Neonatal Anesthetic NeurotoxicityPiyush M Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A premise of general anesthesia is that anesthetics produce a non-toxic and reversible state of unconsciousness...
- General Anesthetic Sites in GABA-A Receptor Subunit Interfacial PocketsStuart A Forman; Fiscal Year: 2013..are needed to guide development of improved drugs that could substantially reduce both risks and costs of anesthesia care for many millions of patients each year...
- Office based real-time high speed 3D-OCT system for diagnosis of early laryngealTIRUNELVELI RAMALINGAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, laryngeal cancer diagnosis has to rely on biopsies, which requires general anesthesia and surgical endoscopy...
- Crosby_Gregory_Mechanisms of Post-Anesthetic CNS Dysfunction in AgingGregory Crosby; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): General anesthesia is typically considered to be a rapidly and completely reversible state...
- The geriatric surgical patient: stress, anesthetics, and functional outcomesStacie Deiner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Published data suggest that a relatively new anesthesia technique is associated with superior control of the stress response...
- Postdoc Training in Translational Research in Neural Injury and NeurodegenerationMarc A Dichter; Fiscal Year: 2010..for MDs or MD-PhDs who finish clinical training in Neurology, Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine or any other clinical neuroscience specialty, and desire academic careers in laboratory-..
- Electromechanical reshaping of tissueBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2010..surgery, which has numerous disadvantages including shape memory, donor site morbidity, and usually general anesthesia. We have developed electromechanical reshaping (EMR), a novel minimally invasive technique that combines ..
- Identification of altered lipids predictive of anesthetic-induced brain injuryXianlin Han; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): A big concern has recently arisen regarding the safety of anesthesia in infants and children based on the profoundly increasing preclinical evidences in rodents and nonhuman primates that the commonly ..
- MR-PET for a Small Animal Imaging CenterJason A Koutcher; Fiscal Year: 2010..and cardiac monitoring to decrease morbidity and improve image quality, in addition to a port for inhalation anesthesia and other gases...
- SYNAPTIC MECHANISMS OF GENERAL ANESTHETIC ACTIONHugh C Hemmings; Fiscal Year: 2013..produces amnesia, unconsciousness or immobilization (with increasing doses), the cardinal features of general anesthesia. Anesthetics have potent and specific effects on synaptic transmission, including both presynaptic actions on ..
- Perioperative Stroke and Cerebral Conditioning in the FemaleStephanie J Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2010Women undergoing cardiovascular procedures have a greater perioperative stroke risk than men. Anesthesia for such cardiovascular procedures is an important consideration since anesthetic agents affect ischemic outcome in experimental ..
- Volatile Anesthetic Regulation of TASK Tandem Pore Potassium ChannelsJoseph F Cotten; Fiscal Year: 2012..The principal investigator is a faculty member in the Department of Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, with a background in electrophysiology, who will acquire new knowledge and skills in ..
- TRAINING IN CLINICAL AND BASIC NEUROSCIENCEEVA LUCILLE FELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..for the past 29 years, and involves the Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Anesthesia, Emergency Medicine, Psychology, Human Genetics, Radiology, Cell &Developmental Biology, Cardiovascular ..
- Arousal, orexins and anesthesiaMAX KELZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..anesthetics varies across a population with some individuals requiring a higher dose to achieve a given depth of anesthesia. Anesthetic resistance may present in humans as awareness under anesthesia...
- NEURONAL BASIS UNDERLYING VOLATILE ANESTHETIC INDUCED HYPNOSISMAX KELZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..suggest that existing general anesthetics may annually harm a subset of the 40 million US patients who require anesthesia. One hypothetical alternative to anesthetic-induced unconsciousness is to generate a state of reversible ..
- Caregiver Illness Perception and Childs Early Childhood Caries StatusMary Beth Slusar; Fiscal Year: 2013..time of child's routine care dental visit (controls) and at the time of restorative treatment under general anesthesia in OR (case)...
- Remote effects of focal hippocampal seizures on neocortical functionHal Blumenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2013..neocortical slow activity reflects a distinct state of depressed cortical function, more closely resembling deep anesthesia or sleep than seizure activity...
- Cellular Mechanisms of Vasoregulation by Volatile AnestheticsRostislav Bychkov; Fiscal Year: 2012..channels should lead to new targeted treatments of hypertension and stroke and will be of benefit for general anesthesia. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Cardiovascular disease, hypertension and stroke are leading causes of death in the U.S...
- High-Speed Motion-Corrected Pediatric Neuroimaging with MRIMATTHEW DYLAN TISDALL; Fiscal Year: 2013..work aims to improve the quality of pediatric and fetal neuroimaging MRI data acquired without sedation and anesthesia through the development and clinical evaluation of novel MRI pulse sequences...
- Anesthesiology Research Training ProgramJudy R Kersten; Fiscal Year: 2013..RELEVANCE: A growing number of Americans with chronic illness will require anesthesia and surgery...
- Cognitive and socioemotional development after postnatal anesthesiaMark G Baxter; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, early neurotoxic insults from general anesthesia may result in long-term impacts on human cognitive development, but it is not possible to address this question ..
- Local anesthetic receptor in peripheral Na+ channelsGING K WANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..LAs) block voltage-gated Na+ channels and impede both motor and sensory functions reversibly during local anesthesia. The receptor for LAs in peripheral Na+ channels is therefore an important target for therapeutics...
- Anesthetic Action: Molecular Substrates &Neural MechanismsDouglas A Bayliss; Fiscal Year: 2013..and neural mechanisms may lead to discovery of safer, more effective anesthetic compounds, an important goal of anesthesia research...
- CRCNS: Multiresolution Modeling of Human Thalamocortical Upstates and DownstatesEric Halgren; Fiscal Year: 2013..studied in animals with intracellular recordings, especially in model systems in vitro and in vivo under anesthesia. The basic phenomena have been reproduced from channel properties and synaptic connectivity in realistic Hodgkin-..
- AccuTemp Sensor: Radiometry based non-invasive continuous core body temperature mDOUGLAS O REUDINK; Fiscal Year: 2013..Core temperature management of patients during extended anesthesia such as cardio-pulmonary bypass (CPB) surgery is equally important, yet there is no accurate core body ..
- GABAA Receptor-Interacting ProteinsAngel L De Blas; Fiscal Year: 2013..GABAA receptors are also the target of several therapeutic drugs used in the clinic and in anesthesia. Our proposed studies on the postsynaptic molecules involved in the clustering of GABAA receptors will be ..
- Mechanisms of anesthesia mediaited neurotoxicityHuafeng Wei; Fiscal Year: 2012..The long term goal of this research is to understand the mechanisms of anesthesia-mediated neurotoxicity, with an expectation that this knowledge will eventually lead to more efficacious and ..
- Enhanced Provision of Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention, Rakai, UgandaRonald H Gray; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will first train personnel in EIMC using the Mogen clamp under local anesthesia, and then enroll 500 infants aged <2 months per arm...
- Cellular Cholesterol Movement and HomeostasisYvonne Lange; Fiscal Year: 2012..A novel hypothesis for the mysterious molecular mechanism of general anesthesia is also proposed...
- New Intramuscular Electrodes for Respiratory Pacing in SCIJames S Walter; Fiscal Year: 2012..One group of 12 acute dogs will be studied during this 1-YR investigation. Respiratory pacing studies following anesthesia will be conducted during periods of respiratory apnea following hyperventilation...
- Pediatric Percutaneous Cochlear Implantation Clinical Validation &ImplementationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2012..following six steps: (i) placing three bone-implanted fiducial markers/anchors surrounding the ear under local anesthesia in an out-patient setting, (ii) obtaining a clinically applicable CT scan, (iii) using the CT scan to plan a ..
- The Role of Alzheimer's-associated Abeta in POD and POCDZhongcong Xie; Fiscal Year: 2012..with POD measured 1, 2 and 3 days after scheduled total hip and knee replacement surgery conducted under spinal anesthesia, the CSF will be collected when spinal anesthesia is performed and therefore poses no added risk to the ..
- CLINICAL THERAPEUTICSMark J Ratain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pharmacology and Pharmacogenomics is an interdepartmental unit comprised of faculty in the Departments of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Human Genetics, Medicine, Pediatrics, and Psychiatry, who have a shared interest and ..
- Tear-Resistant and Elastic Tissue Adhesive for Craniofacial ApplicationsSILVIA D LUEBBEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The use of tissue adhesives in place of sutures also eliminates the need for local anesthesia and follow-up visits to remove the stiches when non-biodegradable sutures are used...
- Anesthetic Sites in Transmembrance Peptides by NMRPei Tang; Fiscal Year: 2012..The ultimate goal of the study is to elucidating the molecular mechanisms of general anesthesia. The research in the previous funding periods has led the investigators to realize that protein global dynamics (..
- Improving the Quality of In-hospital Pediatric ResuscitationRobert Michael Sutton; Fiscal Year: 2013Candidate: Dr. Robert Michael Sutton, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), and Pediatric Critical Care Attending Physician at the Children's Hospital of ..
- VESTIBULAR REGULATION OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLE ACTIVITYBill J Yates; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nausea and vomiting can occur during poisoning, cancer chemotherapy, recovery from anesthesia, activities in virtual environments (including civilian and military training simulators), and travel in cars, ..
- Adult Stem Cell Minimally Invasive Bone Marrow HarvesterDANIEL LEWIS KRAFT; Fiscal Year: 2012..technique (utilizing serial small volume needle extractions) is painful, low-volume, and often requires general anesthesia. RegenMed Systems owns an exclusive license from Stanford University for the core patents around a novel marrow ..
- Actuated Fine-Gauge Spinal Needle Insertion to Reduce Dura Damage and PDPH RiskMAUREEN L MULVIHILL; Fiscal Year: 2012..AMI), (formerly Piezo Resonance Innovations, Inc) will develop and test the Actuated Spinal Anesthesia (SIS or 'Smooth Insertion Spinal') Needle Insertion Tool to Reduce Dural Damage and Post Dural ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the proposed project, the applicant aims to develop expertise in clinical trials to measure outcomes after anesthesia and pain management for common orthopedic procedures...
- The Role of the Amygdala in Anesthetic-Induced AmnesiaMICHAEL ALKIRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding anesthesia requires understanding both phenomenon...
- OBSTETRIC ANESTHESIA: TOCOLYSIS AND HEMORRHAGEDAVID CHESTNUT; Fiscal Year: 1993..Anesthesiologists often avoid regional anesthesia in patients recently subjected to infusion of either ritodrine or MgSO4...
- GENERAL ANESTHETICS AND CLONED VOLTAGE-GATED CHANNELSANA CORREA; Fiscal Year: 2000General anesthesia is a condition in which loss of memory and consciousness is accompanied by loss of pain sensation...
- ACUTE TOLERANCE IN ANESTHETIC ACTIONS AND INTERACTIONSIgor Kissin; Fiscal Year: 2001..may provide different outcomes (addition, synergism, or antagonism) regarding different components of anesthesia (e.g., unconsciousness or immobility to noxious stimulation)...
- AROMATIC AMINE LOCAL ANESTHETICS AND MEMBRANESIssaku Ueda; Fiscal Year: 1990Local anesthesia is generally considered to involve specific binding to receptors, most probably to the sodium channel whose gate is opened...
- Improvement of lithotripters by ultrasound imaging and backscatter tecniquesLawrence A Crum; Fiscal Year: 2010..The patient, usually under anesthesia or conscious sedation, is positioned with the stone within this focal zone...
- Propofol Interactions with GABA-A ReceptorsMYLES AKABAS; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Each year millions of people undergo general anesthesia so that surgeons can perform life-saving operations...