Summary: The relief of pain without loss of consciousness through the introduction of an analgesic agent into the epidural space of the vertebral canal. It is differentiated from ANESTHESIA, EPIDURAL which refers to the state of insensitivity to sensation.
Publications313 found, 100 shown here
- [Security evaluation of bupivacaine, ropivacaine combined with fentanyl in postoperative continuous epidural analgesia]Xiao hong Wan
Department of SICU, Second Affiliated Hospital, Kunming Medical College, Kunming 650101, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 44:1200-2. 2006To investigate the effects, side-effects and security of bupivacaine, ropivacaine combined with fentanyl in postoperative continuous epidural analgesia.
- Efficacy of postoperative patient-controlled and continuous infusion epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia with opioids: a meta-analysisChristopher L Wu
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Anesthesiology 103:1079-88; quiz 1109-10. 2005The authors performed a meta-analysis and found that epidural analgesia overall provided superior postoperative analgesia compared with intravenous patient-controlled analgesia...
- Normal gastrointestinal transit after colonic resection using epidural analgesia, enforced oral nutrition and laxativeL Basse
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Br J Surg 88:1498-500. 2001..With multimodal rehabilitation (epidural analgesia, early oral nutrition and mobilization, and laxative) defaecation occurs 1-2 days after colonic surgery...
- Association between epidural analgesia and cancer recurrence after colorectal cancer surgeryAntje Gottschalk
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Anesthesiology 113:27-34. 2010..Thus, the authors determined the association between perioperative epidural analgesia and cancer recurrence in patients undergoing colorectal cancer surgery.
- Changes in fetal position during labor and their association with epidural analgesiaEllice Lieberman
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:974-82. 2005To evaluate whether epidural analgesia is associated with a higher rate of abnormal fetal head position at delivery.
- Effects of sucking and skin-to-skin contact on maternal ACTH and cortisol levels during the second day postpartum-influence of epidural analgesia and oxytocin in the perinatal periodLinda Handlin
School of Life Sciences, University of Skovde, Skovde, Sweden
Breastfeed Med 4:207-20. 2009..Furthermore, we investigated if epidural analgesia and oxytocin administration during and after labor influenced the release pattern of ACTH and cortisol.
- Early postoperative pain management after thoracic surgery; pre- and postoperative versus postoperative epidural analgesia: a randomised studyArif Yegin
Department of Anaesthesiology, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:420-4. 2003Effective analgesia and blockade of the perioperative stress response may improve outcome and epidural analgesia plays a role in the reduction of pulmonary complications following thoracic surgery...
- Risk factors for difficult delivery in nulliparas with epidural analgesia in second stage of laborWilliam D Fraser
Hôpital St François d Assie CHUQ Research Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 99:409-18. 2002To identify risk factors for difficult delivery among nulliparas in the second stage of labor with continuous epidural analgesia, and to develop a multivariable model that is predictive of difficult delivery.
- Post-thoracotomy pain after thoracic epidural analgesia: a prospective follow-up studyE Tiippana
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:433-8. 2003Pain becomes chronic in 22-67% of patients who undergo a thoracotomy. Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) has replaced less invasive methods to manage postoperative pain...
- Prevalence and risk factors predisposing to coagulopathy in patients receiving epidural analgesia for hepatic surgeryRobert Shontz
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 34:308-11. 2009..We evaluated the prevalence and types of coagulopathic conditions that occur in patients with epidural catheters undergoing hepatic resection...
- Morphine added to local anaesthetic improves epidural analgesia in minimally invasive Nuss operation for pectus excavatumD Yapici
Br J Anaesth 100:280. 2008
- Labor epidural analgesia without an intravascular "test dose"M C Norris
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Anesthesiology 88:1495-501. 1998..This study prospectively evaluated the ability of aspiration to detect intravascular placement of multiple-orifice epidural catheters...
- Thoracic epidural analgesia for off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseYatin Mehta
Department of Anesthesiology, Critical Care and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi, India
Ann Card Anaesth 13:224-30. 2010The benefits of thoracic epidural analgesia in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting are well documented...
- Epidural analgesia decreases intraabdominal pressure in postoperative patients with primary intra-abdominal hypertensionR V Hakobyan
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Yerevan State Medical University, Yerevan, Armenia
Acta Clin Belg 63:86-92. 2008..Our literature search did not show any studies relating the efficacy of epidural analgesia in decreasing elevated intraabdominal pressure (IAP) in critically-ill surgical patients with primary intra-..
- Social disparity and the use of intrapartum epidural analgesia in a publicly funded health care systemNing Liu
OMNI Research Group, Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:273.e1-8. 2010We sought to examine the difference in use of labor epidural analgesia among women from different neighborhood socioeconomic groups.
- Postoperative analgesia after total hip arthroplasty: i.v. PCA with morphine, patient-controlled epidural analgesia, or continuous "3-in-1" block?: a prospective evaluation by our acute pain service in more than 1,300 patientsF J Singelyn
Department of Anesthesiology, Catholic University of Louvain School of Medicine, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Anesth 11:550-4. 1999..To assess the most appropriate postoperative analgesic technique after hip surgery...
- Factors associated with the choice of delivery without epidural analgesia in women at low risk in FranceCamille Le Ray
INSERM U149, Epidemiological Research Unit on Perinatal and Women s Health, Villejuif, France
Birth 35:171-8. 2008Regional anesthesia is used for three-fourths of the deliveries in France. Epidural analgesia during labor is supposed to be available to all women at low risk...
- Long-term pain and activity during recovery from major thoracotomy using thoracic epidural analgesiaE Andrew Ochroch
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
Anesthesiology 97:1234-44. 2002..Pain following thoracotomy can persist for years with an undetermined impact on quality of life. Factors hypothesized to modulate this painful experience include analgesic regimen, gender, and type of incision...
- New drugs for epidural analgesiaE Congedo
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Curr Drug Targets 10:696-706. 2009..They are being used increasingly as adjuvants to local anesthetics and opioids. Ketamine and neostigmine, the more recent studied drugs for epidural use, are still under investigation and are not part of routine clinical practice...
- Awareness and desirability of labor epidural analgesia: a survey of Nigerian womenA Oladokun
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University College Hospital, Department of Epidemiology, Medical Statistics and Environmental Health, College of Medicine, Ibadan, Nigeria
Int J Obstet Anesth 18:38-42. 2009Pain relief is an integral part of labor management. Epidural analgesia is the most effective form of pain relief, but in most Nigerian obstetric units it is not available...
- Influence of thoracic epidural analgesia on postoperative pain relief and ileus after laparoscopic colorectal resection : Benefit with epidural analgesiaUrs Zingg
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Spitalstr 21, Basel, 4031, Switzerland
Surg Endosc 23:276-82. 2009Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) provides superior analgesia with a lower incidence of postoperative ileus when compared with systemic opiate analgesia in open colorectal surgery...
- The effect of epidural analgesia on postoperative outcome after colorectal surgeryK A Gendall
Department of Surgery, Christchurch Hospital, Christchurch, New Zealand
Colorectal Dis 9:584-98; discussion 598-600. 2007The aim of this review was to determine the effects of epidural analgesia as it relates to outcome after colorectal surgery.
- Comparison of bupivacaine, ropivacaine and levobupivacaine with sufentanil for patient-controlled epidural analgesia during labor: a randomized clinical trialLi Zhong Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, Jiaxing Maternity and Child Care Hospital, Jiaxing, Zhejiang 314001, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 123:178-83. 2010..This study aimed to compare the analgesic efficacy, motor block and side effects of bupivacaine, ropivacaine and levobupivacaine at lower concentrations for patient-controlled epidural labor analgesia...
- Randomized controlled trial of patient-controlled epidural analgesia after orthopaedic surgery with sufentanil and ropivacaine 0.165% or levobupivacaine 0.125%I Smet
Department of Anaesthesia, Algemeen Ziekenhuis Nikolaas, Sint Niklaas, Belgium
Br J Anaesth 100:99-103. 2008Ropivacaine, and to a lesser extent also levobupivacaine, is commonly used for postoperative epidural analgesia. Despite ED50 data suggesting a potency difference between these drugs, clinically they can be difficult to distinguish...
- Epidural analgesia compared with peripheral nerve blockade after major knee surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trialsS J Fowler
Department of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
Br J Anaesth 100:154-64. 2008..efficacy and side-effect profile of peripheral nerve blockade (PNB) techniques compared with lumbar epidural analgesia for major knee surgery is unclear...
- The use of brain positron emission tomography to identify sites of postoperative pain processing with and without epidural analgesiaAsokumar Buvanendran
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Anesth Analg 105:1784-6, table of contents. 2007..tomography (PET) scans on a 69-yr-old woman in the presence of moderate postoperative pain and then with epidural analgesia producing complete analgesia, during the first 2 days after total knee arthroplasty...
- Effect of oral gabapentin on postoperative epidural analgesiaA Turan
Department of Anaesthesiology, Trakya University, Turkey
Br J Anaesth 96:242-6. 2006..We hypothesized that gabapentin might be a useful adjuvant for postoperative analgesia provided with patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA).
- Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia in adolescent scoliosis surgery: a meta-analysisAndreas H Taenzer
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH 03756, USA
Paediatr Anaesth 20:135-43. 2010..b>Epidural analgesia has been demonstrated to provide superior pain control with fewer side effects for chest and abdominal ..
- Epidural analgesia in gastrointestinal surgeryR J Fotiadis
Division of Surgery, Anaesthetics and Intensive Care, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Br J Surg 91:828-41. 2004..The ideal perioperative analgesia should provide effective pain relief, avoid the detrimental effects of the stress response, be simple to administer without the need for intensive monitoring, and have a low risk of complications...
- Epidural analgesia for labor pain: whose choice?Erica Schytt
Department of Women s and Children s Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 89:238-42. 2010To test the hypothesis that the decision to use epidural analgesia during labor is influenced not only by the woman and her background but also by the local cultural practice in the delivery unit.
- Comparison of the effects of thoracic epidural analgesia and i.v. infusion with lidocaine on cytokine response, postoperative pain and bowel function in patients undergoing colonic surgeryC P Kuo
Department of Anesthesiology Taipei, Tri Service General Hospital, Taiwan
Br J Anaesth 97:640-6. 2006Both thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) and i.v. lidocaine were able to decrease postoperative pain and duration of ileus. We compared TEA and i.v...
- Some immediate serious complications of obstetric epidural analgesia and anaesthesia: a prospective study of 145,550 epiduralsJ G Jenkins
Department of Anaesthesia, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey GU2 7XX, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:37-42. 2005..Inadvertent intravascular, intrathecal or subdural injection in obstetric regional analgesia are potentially life-threatening, so following a catastrophic complication it was decided to collect data regionally...
- Why women prefer epidural analgesia during childbirth: the role of beliefs about epidural analgesia and pain catastrophizingEva Van den Bussche
Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Leuven Campus Kortrijk, Belgium
Eur J Pain 11:275-82. 2007This study investigated the reasons that might lead women to choose or not choose epidural analgesia as a strategy for the management of pain in childbirth. In our sample 55% of 114 women chose EA...
- Early versus late initiation of epidural analgesia in labor: does it increase the risk of cesarean section? A randomized trialGonen Ohel
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:600-5. 2006To determine whether early initiation of epidural analgesia in nulliparous women affects the rate of cesarean sections and other obstetric outcome measures.
- Continuous femoral nerve blockade or epidural analgesia after total knee replacement: a prospective randomized controlled trialMichael J Barrington
Department of Anesthesia, St Vincent s Hospital, Melbourne, PO Box 2900 Fitzroy Victoria 3065 Australia
Anesth Analg 101:1824-9. 2005..can be severe, we compared the analgesic efficacy of continuous femoral nerve blockade (CFNB) and continuous epidural analgesia (CEA) after TKR in this prospective randomized trial...
- Oblique sub-costal transversus abdominis plane (TAP) catheters: an alternative to epidural analgesia after upper abdominal surgeryG Niraj
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care Medicine, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Anaesthesia 64:1137-40. 2009..Patient 2 underwent emergency laparotomy for intestinal obstruction having refused consent for epidural analgesia. The transversus abdominis plane catheters provided a significant opioid sparing effect...
- Continuous psoas and sciatic block after knee arthroplasty: good effects compared to epidural analgesia or i.v. opioid analgesia: a prospective study of 63 patientsConstance Raimer
Universitätsklinik für Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Charite Campus Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, Berlin, DE 10117, Germany
Acta Orthop 78:193-200. 2007..whether the combination of continuous psoas compartment and sciatic analgesia (PSC) is as effective as epidural analgesia (EPI) and whether it provides better analgesia than patient-controlled intravenous analgesia with ..
- Major complications of epidural analgesia after surgery: results of a six-year surveyI W Christie
Department of Anaesthesia, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, PL6 8DH, UK
Anaesthesia 62:335-41. 2007We performed a retrospective case note review to identify the major complications of epidural analgesia occurring after surgery at our hospital...
- Prospective randomized clinical trial comparing patient-controlled intravenous analgesia with patient-controlled epidural analgesia after lumbar spinal fusionCharles G Fisher
Combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spine Program, Department of Orthopaedics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Centre
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:739-43. 2003..A prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical trial was conducted...
- Regional anesthesia and analgesia for labor and deliveryHolger K Eltzschig
Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 348:319-32. 2003
- Effect of postoperative epidural analgesia on morbidity and mortality following surgery in medicare patientsChristopher L Wu
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 29:525-33; discussion 515-9. 2004..of the uncertainty and limitations in available randomized controlled trials, we performed an analysis of the Medicare claims database to determine whether an association exists between postoperative epidural analgesia and mortality.
- Determinants of patient-controlled epidural analgesia requirements: a prospective analysis of 1753 patientsKuang Yi Chang
Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University School of Medicine Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Clin J Pain 22:751-6. 2006Patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA) has been widely used in postoperative pain management. Many factors may correlate with PCEA requirements but no previous study has ever investigated this subject...
- Epidural analgesia and gastrointestinal motility after open abdominal surgery--a reviewTomoko Nakayoshi
Department of Surgery, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Japan
J Smooth Muscle Res 44:57-64. 2008..on many clinical and basic reports that affirm the effect on the recovery of gastrointestinal motility, epidural analgesia has been used widely to promote recovery from postoperative ileus...
- Patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA) for postoperative pain control after lumbar spine surgeryJuan P Cata
Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 20:256-60. 2008..245 medical records of adult patients undergoing major spine surgery who received either patient-controlled epidural analgesia based on local anesthetics and opioids or patient-controlled intravenous analgesia as postoperative pain ..
- [Maternal postures and epidural analgesia during labour]A S Ducloy-Bouthors
clinique d anesthésie réanimation, Maternité Jeanne de Flandre, CHRU de Lille, 2, Avenue Oscar Lambret, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 25:605-8. 2006..b>Epidural analgesia with 12 ml ropivacaine 0.1% and sufentanil 0.5 microg/ml was administered over a period of six minutes...
- Epidural analgesia and anesthesia in dogs and catsAlexander Valverde
Section of Anesthesiology, Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 38:1205-30, v. 2008..Epidural anesthesia and intravenous anesthetics can also be used without inhalation anesthetics in surgical procedures caudal to the diaphragm...
- Epidural analgesia prevents endotoxin-induced gut mucosal injury in rabbitsShizuko Kosugi
Department of Anesthesiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Anesth Analg 101:265-72, table of contents. 2005In the present study, we evaluated the effect of epidural analgesia on the alterations of gut barrier function elicited by endotoxin in rabbits. After the placement of an epidural catheter, 28 male rabbits were randomized into either 0...
- Perioperative epidural analgesia and outcome after major abdominal surgery in high-risk patientsPhilip J Peyton
Department of Anesthesia, Austin and Repatriation Medical Centre, Melbourne, Australia
Anesth Analg 96:548-, table of contents. 2003..major abdominal surgery, we found no difference in outcome between patients receiving perioperative epidural analgesia and those receiving IV opioids, apart from the incidence of respiratory failure...
- Effects of preemptive epidural analgesia on post-thoracotomy painChoon Looi Bong
Department of Paediatric Anesthesia, KK Women and Childrens Hospital, Singapore
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 19:786-93. 2005The purpose of this study was to determine whether preemptive thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) initiated before surgical incision would reduce the severity of acute post-thoracotomy pain and the incidence of chronic post-thoracotomy pain.
- Eliminating the effect of epidural fat during dorsolumbar epidural analgesia in cattleInhyung Lee
Department of Veterinary Surgery, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Inada, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080 8555, Japan
Vet Anaesth Analg 31:86-9. 2004..To compare the distribution of new methylene blue (NMB) solution injected into either the subperiosteal space or under the epidural fat at the first and second lumbar vertebral interspace in cattle...
- Use of a high thoracic epidural analgesia for treatment of end-stage congestive heart failure secondary to coronary artery disease: effect of HTEA on CHFWu Shuang
Int J Cardiol 125:283-5. 2008..Cardiac sympathetic blockade by high thoracic epidural analgesia (HTEA) was added to stabilize the patient's critical condition before surgery...
- Epidural analgesia: breast-feeding success and related factorsIngela Wiklund
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Danderyd Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, S 182 88 Stockholm, Sweden
Midwifery 25:e31-8. 2009to compare the early breast-feeding behaviours of full-term newborns whose mothers had received epidural analgesia (EDA) during an uncomplicated labour, with a group of newborns whose mothers had not received EDA.
- Influence of thoracic epidural analgesia on cardiovascular autonomic control after thoracic surgeryM Licker
Division of Anaesthesia and Unit of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Br J Anaesth 91:525-31. 2003Thoracic epidural analgesia (TEA) is effective in alleviating pain after major thoracoabdominal surgery and may also reduce postoperative mortality and morbidity...
- Thoracic epidural analgesia facilitates the restoration of bowel function and dietary intake in patients undergoing laparoscopic colon resection using a traditional, nonaccelerated, perioperative care programA Taqi
Department of Surgery, McGill University Health Centre, 1650, Cedar Avenue, Room D10 144, Montreal, H3G 1A4, Quebec, Canada
Surg Endosc 21:247-52. 2007This randomized trial compared thoracic epidural analgesia with patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) using morphine for laparoscopic colectomy in a traditional, nonaccelerated, perioperative care program.
- Low-dose intravenous ketamine potentiates epidural analgesia after thoracotomyManzo Suzuki
Department of Anesthesiology, Second Hospital Nippon Medical School, Kanagawa, Japan
Anesthesiology 105:111-9. 2006..Ketamine potentiates intravenous or epidural morphine analgesia. The authors hypothesized that very-low-dose ketamine infusion reduces acute and long-term postthoracotomy pain...
- Epidural analgesia and fetal head malposition at vaginal deliveryM K Yancey
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Obstet Gynecol 97:608-12. 2001To determine if nulliparas who delivered with on-demand epidural analgesia are more likely to have malpositioning of the fetal vertex at delivery than women delivered during a period of restricted epidural use.
- Comparison of epidural analgesia and intercostal nerve cryoanalgesia for post-thoracotomy pain controlHui Ju
Department of Anesthesiology, Peking University People s Hospital, 11 Xi Zhimen South Street, Beijing 100044, PR China
Eur J Pain 12:378-84. 2008b>Epidural analgesia is regarded as the gold method for controlling post-thoracotomy pain. Intercostal nerve cryoanalgesia can also produce satisfactory analgesic effects, but is suspected to increase the incidence of chronic pain...
- Preemptive epidural analgesia for thoracic surgerySteven M Neustein
Department of Anesthesiology, Box 1010, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One East 100th Street, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 69:101-4. 2002The purpose of this study was to determine if preemptive epidural analgesia performed before thoracotomy incision and during the operation reduces postoperative pain. Patients in the treatment group received 8 mL of 0...
- The effects of thoracic epidural analgesia with bupivacaine 0.25% on ventilatory mechanics in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseE M Gruber
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 92:1015-9. 2001..Thus, thoracic epidural anesthesia can be used safely in patients with end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- A randomised controlled trial of epidural compared with non-epidural analgesia in labourC J Howell
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, North Staffordshire Hospital (NHS) Trust, Stoke on Trent, UK
BJOG 108:27-33. 2001OBJECTIVES: To investigate possible short and long term side effects of epidural analgesia, compared with non-epidural analgesia for pain relief in labour. DESIGN: Randomised controlled study, with long term follow up by questionnaire...
- Does epidural analgesia prolong labor and increase risk of cesarean delivery? A natural experimentJ Zhang
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Building6100, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 185:128-34. 2001More than 50% of pregnant women in the United States are using epidural analgesia for labor pain. However, whether epidural analgesia prolongs labor and increases the risk of cesarean delivery remains controversial.
- Thoracic epidural analgesia with low concentration of bupivacaine induces thoracic and lumbar sympathetic block: a randomized, double-blind clinical trialHendrik Freise
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Muenster, Albert Schweitzer Strasse33, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Anesthesiology 109:1107-12. 2008..This prospective, randomized, double-blind study evaluated the segmental propagation of sympathetic block after low-concentration, high-volume TEA using digital thermography...
- Audit of epidural analgesia in children undergoing thoracotomy for decortication of empyemaA Kotze
Department of Anaesthesia, Leeds General Infirmary, UK
Br J Anaesth 98:662-6. 2007..For many years, we have provided epidural analgesia to children undergoing thoracotomy for the decortication of parapneumonic empyemas...
- A randomized sequential allocation study to determine the minimum effective analgesic concentration of levobupivacaine and ropivacaine in patients receiving epidural analgesia for laborDan Benhamou
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Clamart, France
Anesthesiology 99:1383-6. 2003..This study was designed to determine and compare the minimum local analgesic concentrations of levobupivacaine and ropivacaine when used in epidural obstetric analgesia...
- Obesity, epidural analgesia, and subcostal incision are risk factors for postoperative desaturationArunotai Siriussawakul
Department of Anesthesiology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, 10700, Thailand
Can J Anaesth 57:415-22. 2010..This study was designed to determine the incidence of oxygen desaturation after upper abdominal surgery during the first 48 hr on general surgical wards and also to identify risk factors for oxygen desaturation...
- A meta-analysis of upright positions in the second stage to reduce instrumental deliveries in women with epidural analgesiaChristine L Roberts
Centre for Perinatal Health Services Research, School of Public Health, Building D02, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 84:794-8. 2005b>Epidural analgesia is associated with an increased risk of instrumental delivery...
- Postpartum seizures after epidural analgesia: a patient with a mutation of the factor V Leiden and prothrombin geneJohannes van Nordennen
Department of Anesthesiology, Academic Hospital Flemish Free University of Brussels, 1090, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Anesth 19:549-50. 2007..Seven months after delivery, the patient is in good health, showing no neurocognitive disability...
- High potential for epidural analgesia neuraxial block-associated hypotension in conjunction with heated intraoperative intraperitoneal chemotherapyArnaud de La Chapelle
Reg Anesth Pain Med 30:313-4. 2005
- High-volume local infiltration analgesia combined with intravenous or local ketorolac+morphine compared with epidural analgesia after total knee arthroplastyU J Spreng
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Asker and Bærum Hospital, Vestre Viken HF, Norway
Br J Anaesth 105:675-82. 2010..Recently, high-volume local infiltration analgesia (LIA) in total knee arthroplasty (TKA) has been introduced, but dosage, timing, and effects of adjuvants are still debated...
- Epidural analgesia in hepatic resectionAndrew Page
Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:1184-92. 2008Randomized trials show equivocal benefit of epidural analgesia (EA) for patients undergoing abdominal operations. Partial hepatectomy is often performed using low central venous pressure anesthesia to reduce intraoperative blood loss...
- Expectant fathers' experience during labor with or without epidural analgesiaG Capogna
Department of Anesthesiology, Città di Roma Hospital, Roma, Italy
Int J Obstet Anesth 16:110-5. 2007For men the worst aspect of childbirth is witnessing their partner in pain. The aim of this study was to investigate fathers' attitudes towards labor and delivery with and without epidural analgesia.
- A double-blind randomized controlled trial of patient-controlled epidural analgesia with or without a background infusion following initial spinal analgesia for labor painT Okutomi
Department of Anesthesiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Obstet Anesth 18:28-32. 2009Patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA) combined with spinal analgesia is an option for pain relief in labor. However, the effect of a CBI on the analgesic requirements of laboring women is still debated...
- Thoracic epidural analgesia in post-thoracotomy patients: comparison of three different concentrations of levobupivacaine and sufentanilC Mendola
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, SCDU Anaesthesia and Intensive Care 1, Maggiore della Carita Hospital, University of Eastern Piedmont A Avogadro, Corso Mazzini 18, 28100 Novara, Italy
Br J Anaesth 102:418-23. 2009Relative effects of dosage, volume and concentration of local anaesthetics used for postoperative thoracic epidural analgesia are still under debate...
- Epidural analgesia and risks of cesarean and operative vaginal deliveries in nulliparous and multiparous womenUyen Sa D T Nguyen
Institute for Aging Research Hebrew SeniorLife, Boston, 02131, MA, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:705-12. 2010Objective is to examine the effect of epidural analgesia in first stage of labor on occurrence of cesarean and operative vaginal deliveries in nulliparous women and multiparous women without a previous cesarean delivery...
- Epidural analgesia in the latent phase of labor and the risk of cesarean delivery: a five-year randomized controlled trialFuzhou Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, The Institute of Pediatrics, The Affiliated Nanjing Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, No 123 Tianfei Xiang, Mochou Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
Anesthesiology 111:871-80. 2009The optimal timing of epidural analgesia has been a controversial issue, and how early women can benefit from epidural analgesia is still debated...
- Suprascapular nerve block for ipsilateral shoulder pain after thoracotomy with thoracic epidural analgesia: a double-blind comparison of 0.5% bupivacaine and 0.9% salineNgukhoon Tan
Department of Anaesthesia and The National Refractory Angina Centre, The Cardiothoracic Centre Liverpool NHS Trust, Liverpool, England
Anesth Analg 94:199-202, table of contents. 2002Despite receiving thoracic epidural analgesia, severe ipsilateral shoulder pain is common in patients after thoracotomy...
- Influence of oxytocin or epidural analgesia on personality profile in breastfeeding women: a comparative studyW Jonas
Department of Women and Child Health, Division for Reproductive and Perinatal Health Care, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arch Womens Ment Health 11:335-45. 2008..groups: mothers having received oxytocin infusion during labor (OT iv group, n = 9), mothers having received epidural analgesia with/without oxytocin infusion (EDA group, n = 23), mothers having received 10 iU oxytocin intramuscularly ..
- Patient-controlled intravenous analgesia as an alternative to epidural analgesia during labor: questioning the use of the short-acting opioid remifentanil. Survey in the French part of Belgium (Wallonia and Brussels)P Lavand'homme
Department of Anesthesiology, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 60:75-82. 2009..We designed a survey of the current use of analgesic alternatives to epidural analgesia (EA) for labor pain, specifically the use of opioid patient-controlled intravenous analgesia (PCIA), in the ..
- Efficacy of postoperative epidural analgesia: a meta-analysisBrian M Block
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
JAMA 290:2455-63. 2003Whether epidural analgesia is a better method than parenteral opioids for postoperative pain control remains controversial.
- Pain relief after thoracotomy: is epidural analgesia the optimal technique?A Ng
Br J Anaesth 98:159-62. 2007
- Automated regular boluses for epidural analgesia: a comparison with continuous infusionY Lim
Department of Anesthesia, Obstetrics and Gynecology, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:305-9. 2005..In this randomized, double-blinded study, we compared the analgesic efficacy of two drug delivery systems: regular intermittent epidural boluses and continuous epidural infusion and assessed the incidence of breakthrough pain after CSE...
- Lymphocyte apoptosis after major abdominal surgery is not influenced by anesthetic technique: a comparative study of general anesthesia versus combined general and epidural analgesiaArtemisia Papadima
Laboratory of Surgical Research, 1st Department of Propaedeutic Surgery, Hippokrateio Hospital, University of Athens, 11527 Athens, Greece
J Clin Anesth 21:414-21. 2009To examine the influence of abdominal colectomy with combined general anesthesia and epidural analgesia versus general anesthesia on apoptosis of circulating lymphocytes.
- The effect of epidural analgesia on labor progress and outcome in nulliparous womenHanny Pal O'Hana
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Soroka University Medical Center, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Be er Sheva, Israel
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:517-21. 2008The present study was designed to investigate the influence of epidural analgesia on labor progress and outcome in nulliparous women.
- Intravenous versus epidural analgesia after surgical repair of pectus excavatumIris E Soliman
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE, USA
Am J Ther 16:398-403. 2009..Various analgesic modalities have been suggested including thoracic epidural analgesia and intravenous patient-controlled analgesia (IV PCA)...
- A comparison of the effects of patient-controlled analgesia with intravenous opioids versus Epidural analgesia on recovery after surgery for idiopathic scoliosisD H Van Boerum
Department of Orthopedics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2355-7. 2000..In the current study, patients tolerated a full diet and were discharged from the hospital an average of 0.5 days earlier than PCA-treated patients...
- Urinary catheterization in labour with high-dose vs mobile epidural analgesia: a randomized controlled trialM J A Wilson
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:97-103. 2009Dense perineal block from epidural analgesia increases the risk of urinary catheterization in labour...
- Pneumocephalus with headache complicating labour epidural analgesia: should we still be using air?O O Nafiu
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:237-9. 2006..We present a case of pneumocephalus with headache in a parturient following apparently uncomplicated labour epidural analgesia.
- Thoracic epidural analgesia via the caudal approach in pediatric patients undergoing fundoplication using nerve stimulation guidanceB C Tsui
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta Hospitals, 3B2 32 Walter Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2B7, Canada
Anesth Analg 93:1152-5, table of contents. 2001..This easily performed clinical assessment provides optimization of catheter tip positioning for achieving effective pain control...
- Epidural analgesia and risk of anastomotic leakageK Holte
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Hvidovre, Denmark
Reg Anesth Pain Med 26:111-7. 2001BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: Based on case reports of early anastomotic leakage in patients receiving epidural analgesia with local anesthetic and data to document a stimulatory effect of epidural block on gastrointestinal motility, it has ..
- Sustained-release morphine for epidural analgesia in ratsT Kim
DepoTech Corporation, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Anesthesiology 85:331-8. 1996..In addition, potential respiratory depression is a major safety concern. The authors studied whether a single dose of epidurally administered, sustained-release morphine could prolong analgesia and reduce toxic effects in rats...
- Effects of intrapartum oxytocin administration and epidural analgesia on the concentration of plasma oxytocin and prolactin, in response to suckling during the second day postpartumK Jonas
Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Health Care, Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Retzius Väg 13a, Stockholm 171 77, Sweden
Breastfeed Med 4:71-82. 2009..in mothers who had received oxytocin either intravenously for stimulation of labor or intramuscularly for prevention of postpartum hemorrhage and/or epidural analgesia or those who had received no such treatment in connection with birth.
- Comparison between a disposable and an electronic PCA device for labor epidural analgesiaHiroyuki Sumikura
Department of Anesthesiology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, 2 16 1 Sugao, Miyamae ku, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
J Anesth 18:262-6. 2004..The aims of the present study were (1) to investigate if a disposable patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) device can be used for labor analgesia and (2) to evaluate the device by midwives and parturients...
- An evaluation of the epidural catheter position by epidural nerve stimulation in conjunction with continuous epidural analgesia in adult surgical patientsJohannes G Förster
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Anesth Analg 108:351-8. 2009..We evaluated the feasibility of the epidural stimulation test and its potential in contributing to effective postoperative continuous epidural analgesia.
- Cardiac arrest due to a vagal reflex potentiated by thoracic epidural analgesiaJ Y Park
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Int Med Res 34:433-6. 2006..report a patient who developed cardiac arrest as a result of a vagal reflex that was potentiated by thoracic epidural analgesia during general anaesthesia...
- Postoperative outcome of open donor nephrectomy under epidural analgesia: a descriptive analysisL Suarez-Sanchez
Department of Anesthesiology, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran Mexico City, Mexico
Transplant Proc 38:877-81. 2006Patients subjected to open donor nephrectomy with epidural analgesia were analyzed to determine whether there was a relation between catheter placement site and the appearance of complications and satisfactory analgesia and to determine ..
- Effects of amiodarone and thoracic epidural analgesia on atrial fibrillation after coronary artery bypass graftingEigil Nygård
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia, National University Hospital, Rigshopitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 18:709-14. 2004....
- Superior postoperative pain relief with thoracic epidural analgesia versus intravenous patient-controlled analgesia after minimally invasive pectus excavatum repairThomas Weber
Medical Research Society, Vienna, Danube City, at the Sozialmedizinisches Zentrum Ost Donauspital, Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Austria
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 134:865-70. 2007..We tested the hypothesis that pain relief with thoracic epidural analgesia was superior to that with intravenous patient-controlled analgesia after minimally invasive pectus excavatum ..
- Epidural analgesia associated with low-dose oxytocin augmentation increases cesarean births: a critical look at the external validity of randomized trialsAndrew J Kotaska
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:809-14. 2006Randomized controlled trials suggest epidural analgesia (EA) does not increase the frequency of cesarean births compared with opioid analgesia...
- A comparison of epidural analgesia with combined continuous femoral-sciatic nerve blocks after total knee replacementDusanka Zaric
Department of Anesthesiology, Frederiksberg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Anesth Analg 102:1240-6. 2006b>Epidural analgesia remains the "gold standard" of pain relief after total knee replacement. However, peripheral nerve block is gaining popularity because the incidence of side effects may be reduced. Our study tests this postulate...
- Does epidural analgesia increase rate of cesarean section?Michael C Klein
Can Fam Physician 52:419-21, 426-8. 2006
- A case of late postpartum seizures after epidural analgesiaN Akerman
Department of Obstetric Anaesthesia, St James University Hospital, Leeds and Pontefract General Infirmary, UK
Int J Obstet Anesth 14:163-6. 2005..All symptoms resolved within 24 h of the first seizure. In this case report we highlight the difficulties in establishing the cause of postpartum seizures...
- Obesity and Surgical OutcomesJeffrey H Silber; Fiscal Year: 2010..patients, such as: control of serum glucose, use of preoperative antibiotics, early ambulation, and epidural analgesia;and (3) Determine whether there are differences or disparities in the care of obese patients undergoing ..
- NEUROMUSCULAR INJURY AND RECOVERY AFTER VAGINAL DELIVERYAlison Weidner; Fiscal Year: 2003..and postpartum electromyographic studies of pelvic and perineal muscle function, 3) studying the effects of epidural analgesia on striated muscle of maternal pelvis and perineum, and 4) comparing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) ..
- Preemptive Analgesia in Recovery from HysterectomyEDWARD OCHROCH; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research application proposes to examine the short- and long-term benefits of aggressive preemptive epidural analgesia in patients undergoing TAR Pain during hospitalization and after discharge, activity levels, and return to ..
- Neonatal Sucking Organization After Epidural AnalgesiaAleeca Bell; Fiscal Year: 2009..aim of this two group comparative study is to examine the relationship between fetal exposure to maternal epidural analgesia during labor and measures of neonatal neurobehavioral organization (behavioral state and sucking ..
- Nitrous Oxide and Wound InfectionsOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2006..Confirming our hypothesis would thus allow clinicians to make a minor modification in anesthetic practice that might reduce the incidence of a complication responsible for considerable perioperative morbidity and cost. ..
- SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN AND SURGICAL WOUND INFECTIONSDaniel Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since the cost of oxygen is trivial and the risks of oxygen administration are low, clinicians will easily be able to implement this treatment once we have demonstrated its benefits. ..
- Clinical Measures to Lower Genital Tract Trauma at BirthLeah Albers; Fiscal Year: 2004..parity, birth position, style of pushing, size and position of baby at birth, length of second stage, and epidural analgesia)...
- IMAGE REPRESENTATION IN THE PRIMARY VISUAL CORTEXAllan Gottschalk; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, this material provides an important quantitative link between biologic and synthetic methods of image representation. ..
- SPINAL CORD INJURY, METHYLPREDNISOLONE & P GLYCOPROTEINCHRISTOPHER BERNARDS; Fiscal Year: 2002..4. To determine whether increased spinal cord bioavailability of methylprednisolone decreases secondary damage following spinal cord injury. ..
- Hypertonic Modulation of Inflammation following InjuryEileen M Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies will provide valuable information to determine the ultimate therapeutic use of the resuscitation strategy. ..
- Activation of clotting & cell adhesion: gas embolismDavid M Eckmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..This work is the basis for neuroprotection in gas embolism-induced stroke, a persistent, growing health threat without treatment. ..
- Beta2 adrenoceptor genotype and preterm laborRichard Smiley; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- TRPV1 Expressing Sensory Afferents in Postoperative PainTimothy Brennan; Fiscal Year: 2009..A separate pathway, likely an A-fiber mediated pathway, is sufficient to transmit the enhanced mechanical responses. ..
- Development of Sensory/Pain-Selective Local AnestheticsPeter Gerner; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Nitric Oxide Tolerance in Smooth MuscleWilliam Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will use a combination of pharmacological probes and novel antisense oligomers to determine the mechanism by which chronic NO treatment decreases the expression and activity of sGC subunits and cGK isoforms. ..
- The Effect of Hypertonic Resuscitation for Blunt TraumaEileen Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- RCT of Arthroscopic Partial Meniscectomy in OAJeffrey Katz; Fiscal Year: 2004..If funded, these planning activities would enable us initiate the full trial with minimal delay. ..
- Predoctoral Fellowship for Students with DisabilitiesELIZABETH GREENWELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..of evidence suggests that over 90% of fever during labor in low risk women at term results from the use of epidural analgesia and is unlikely to be infectious in origin...
- Are Volume Standards Accurate Measures of Quality?Laurent Glance; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- ANESHETIC MODULATION OF NATIVE NICOTINIC RECEPTORSPamela Flood; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resulting information will provide understanding of the molecular mechanism underlying one of the anesthetic effects that limit anesthetic safety. ..