Summary: 17-Hydroxy-6-methylpregna-3,6-diene-3,20-dione. A progestational hormone used most commonly as the acetate ester. As the acetate, it is more potent than progesterone both as a progestagen and as an ovulation inhibitor. It has also been used in the palliative treatment of breast cancer.
Publications207 found, 100 shown here
- Benign metastasizing leiomyoma responsive to megestrol: case report and review of the literatureG K Wentling
Section of General Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 15:1213-7. 2005..A 21- x 18-mm residual area of neoplasm in the lung completely resolved 3 months after treatment with megestrol. The patient remains free of disease 3 years after lung resection...
- Hormonal therapy with megestrol in inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma characterized by variant oestrogen receptorsE Villa
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Modena, Italy
Br J Cancer 84:881-5. 2001..To evaluate the impact on survival and on tumour growth of megestrol (progestin drug acting at post-receptorial level) we enrolled 45 patients with HCC characterized by variant ..
- Insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk factors in ovariectomized monkeys with estradiol alone or combined with nomegestrol acetateJ D Wagner
Department of Comparative Medicine, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1040, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:896-901. 1998..In conclusion, NA, a progestin without androgenic activity, may still affect some cardiovascular risk factors differently than estrogen-only therapy. However, it seems to be less detrimental than MPA...
- Comparison of a 24-day and a 21-day pill regimen for the novel combined oral contraceptive, nomegestrol acetate and 17β-estradiol (NOMAC/E2): a double-blind, randomized studyS Christin-Maitre
Endocrine Unit, Hopital Saint Antoine AP HP, 75571 Paris, France
Hum Reprod 26:1338-47. 2011....
- Inhibition of ovulation by NOMAC/E2, a novel monophasic oral contraceptive combining nomegestrol acetate and 17β-oestradiol: a double-blind, randomised, dose-finding pilot studyNathalie Chabbert-Buffet
Obstetrics and Gynaecology Unit, Hopital Tenon AP HP, and ER 9, UPMC Universite Paris 06, Paris, France
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16:76-84. 2011..To explore the optimal dose of the progestogen, nomegestrol acetate (NOMAC), required in a monophasic oral contraceptive, in combination with 1.5 mg 17β-oestradiol (E(2)), to inhibit ovulation...
- Haemostatic effects of a new combined oral contraceptive, nomegestrol acetate/17β-estradiol, compared with those of levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol. A double-blind, randomised studyPascale Gaussem
Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Thromb Haemost 105:560-7. 2011..This suggests that NOMAC/E2 could have a more favourable venous thromboembolism risk profile than LNG/EE; further epidemiological data are required to confirm this...
- Effects of a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17 beta-oestradiol on ovarian function in comparison to a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing drospirenone and ethinylestradiolIngrid J M Duijkers
Dinox, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 15:314-25. 2010..To compare the effects on ovarian activity of two oral contraceptives containing nomegestrol acetate (NOMAC)/17 beta-oestradiol (E2) or drospirenone (DRSP)/ethinylestradiol (EE)...
- Effects of a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17β-oestradiol compared with one containing levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol on haemostasis, lipids and carbohydrate metabolismUlla M Ågren
FSHS Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16:444-57. 2011....
- New progestagens for contraceptive useRegine Sitruk-Ware
Rockefeller University and Population Council, New York, NY, USA
Hum Reprod Update 12:169-78. 2006..Given their pharmacological properties, it is likely that the new progestins may have neutral effects on metabolic or vascular risks. However, this hypothesis must be confirmed in large clinical trials...
- Nomegestrol acetate: pharmacology, safety profile and therapeutic efficacyStefano Lello
Endocrinological Gynecology, Pathophysiology of Menopause and Osteoporosis Unit, IRCCS Istituto Dermopatico dell Immacolata, Rome, Italy
Drugs 70:541-59. 2010....
- Effects of a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17β-oestradiol in comparison to one containing levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol on markers of endocrine functionUlla M Ågren
FSHS Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16:458-67. 2011....
- Megestrol acetate in unresectable hepatocellular carcinomaM Colleoni
Division of Medical Oncology, City Hospital, Castelfranco Veneto, Italy
Tumori 81:351-3. 1995..METHODS: To evaluate the activity and tolerance of progestins in HCC, patients were treated with megestrol acetate orally at a dose of 160 mg daily until progression of disease or grade III-IV toxicity was observed...
- Efficacy and tolerability of a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17β-oestradiol in a 24/4 regimen, in comparison to an oral contraceptive containing ethinylestradiol and drospirenone in a 21/7 regimenDiana Mansour
Sexual Health Services, Newcastle Hospitals Community Health, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16:430-43. 2011..Effects on acne were evaluated as a secondary objective. Results were compared to those of a COC containing drospirenone (DRSP) and ethinylestradiol (EE)...
- Nomegestrol acetate: steroid receptor transactivation profile in Chinese hamster ovary cells and ovulation inhibition in rat and monkeyHarry A van Diepen
Women s Health Department, Merck Research Laboratories, Oss, The Netherlands
Contraception 84:199-204. 2011..Activity of nomegestrol acetate (NOMAC), levonorgestrel (LNG), drospirenone (DRSP), dienogest (DNG) and progesterone on human steroid receptor transactivation was investigated. Ovulation inhibition by NOMAC, LNG and progesterone was tested...
- The pharmacology of nomegestrol acetateXiangyan Ruan
Department of Gynecological Endocrinology, Beijing OB GYN Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Maturitas 71:345-53. 2012....
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of exemestane compared with megestrol in patients with advanced breast carcinomaB E Hillner
Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University and the Massey Cancer Center, Richmond, VA 23298 0170, USA
Cancer 91:484-9. 2001..this study was to determine the potential economic implications resulting from using exemestane (EXE), a new steroidal, irreversible aromatase inactivator, compared with megestrol acetate (MA) in patients with advanced breast carcinoma.
- Activation of nitric oxide synthesis in human endothelial cells using nomegestrol acetateTommaso Simoncini
Molecular and Cellular Gynecological Endocrinology Laboratory MCGEL, Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Obstet Gynecol 108:969-78. 2006..The aim of this study was to establish whether nomegestrol acetate induces signaling events in human endothelial cells that differ from those of other progestins, such as natural progesterone or medroxyprogesterone acetate...
- Certain progestins prevent the enhancing effect of 17beta-estradiol on NO-mediated inhibition of platelet aggregation by endothelial cellsMurielle Zerr-Fouineau
Département de Pharmacologie et Physico Chimie, Institut Gilbert Laustriat, Université Louis Pasteur Strasbourg I, Illkirch, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:586-93. 2009..This study examined whether progestins affect the stimulatory effect of estrogens on the endothelial formation of nitric oxide (NO), a potent antithrombotic factor...
- Nomegestrol acetate and vascular reactivity: nonhuman primate experimentsJ M Paris
Laboratoire Theramex, BP 59, 6 Avenue Prince Hereditaire Albert, 98007, Monaco
Steroids 65:621-7. 2000..In these two nonhuman primate cardiovascular models, NOMAC did not have the negating effects observed with MPA...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of exemestane compared with megestrol in advanced breast cancer: a model for Europe and AustraliaPeter Lindgren
Stockholm Health Economics Consulting, Uppsala, Sweden
Pharmacoeconomics 20:101-8. 2002To investigate the cost effectiveness of exemestane compared to megestrol in post-menopausal women after tamoxifen failure.
- Effect of nomegestrol acetate on human estrogen sulfotransferase activity in the hormone-dependent MCF-7 and T-47D breast cancer cell linesGerard Samuel Chetrite
Hormones and Cancer Research Unit, Institut de Puericulture, 26 Boulevard Brune, 75014 Paris, France
Anticancer Res 23:4651-5. 2003....
- Anastrozole, a potent and selective aromatase inhibitor, versus megestrol acetate in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer: results of overview analysis of two phase III trials. Arimidex Study GroupA Buzdar
M D Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, Department of Breast Medical Oncology 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 14:2000-11. 1996..efficacy and tolerability of anastrozole (1 and 10 mg once daily), a selective, oral, nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitor, and megestrol acetate (40 mg four times daily), in postmenopausal women who progressed following tamoxifen treatment.
- Nomegestrol acetate, a novel progestogen for oral contraceptionAlfred O Mueck
Department of Endocrinology and Menopause, University Women s Hospital, Calwer Strasse 7, DE 72076, Tubingen, Germany
Steroids 76:531-9. 2011..These clinical findings are promising; however, full publication of results from the pivotal phase III trials of NOMAC/E2 is pending...
- Efficacy, safety, and tolerability of a monophasic oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17β-estradiol: a randomized controlled trialCarolyn Westhoff
Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 119:989-99. 2012..To estimate the efficacy, cycle control, tolerability, and safety of a monophasic combined oral contraceptive containing nomegestrol acetate and 17β-estradiol (E2) in comparison with drospirenone and ethinyl E2...
- Prospective randomised trial of two dose levels of megestrol acetate in the management of anorexia-cachexia syndrome in patients with metastatic cancerV Gebbia
Service of Chemotherapy, University of Palermo, Italy
Br J Cancer 73:1576-80. 1996Two doses of megestrol acetate (MA) have been prospectively compared in a random fashion as treatment for cancer-related anorexia-cachexia syndrome (ACS) in 122 patients with progressive soft tissue sarcoma, colorectal, lung, head and ..
- Effects of nomegestrol acetate administration on central and peripheral beta-endorphin and allopregnanolone in ovx ratsElena Lenzi
Department of Reproductive Medicine and Child Development, Division of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 110:67-75. 2008....
- Bone turnover markers and insulin-like growth factor components in metastatic breast cancer: results from a randomised trial of exemestane vs megestrol acetateAntonia Martinetti
Nuclear Medicine Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Anticancer Res 23:3485-91. 2003..the framework of a large (769 patients), randomised double-blind clinical trial comparing exemestane (EXE) with megestrol acetate (MA), serum 17 beta-estradiol (E2), estrone (E1), estrone sulphate (E1S), bone alkaline phosphatase (BAP)..
- Survival in patients with metastatic breast cancer: analysis of randomized studies comparing oral aromatase inhibitors versus megestrolA Messori
Laboratorio SIFO di Farmacoeconomia, Centro Informazione Farmaci, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Florence, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 11:701-6. 2000..metastatic breast cancer, second-line therapy with aromatase inhibitors can improve survival in comparison with megestrol. We conducted a meta-analysis to assess the effectiveness of aromatase inhibitors versus megestrol...
- Megestrol-induced Cushing syndromeG C Caparrós
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital de Poniente, El Ejido, Almeria, Spain
Ann Pharmacother 35:1208-10. 2001To report a case of Cushing syndrome associated with megestrol acetate therapy in a patient with renal insufficiency.
- Inhibitory effect of nomegestrol acetate on steroidogenesis of cultured granulosa cells from rat ovary in vitroL H Qian
Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institute for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 22:40-4. 2001..The secretion of progesteron were markedly decreased by 44.5 %, 53.3 %, and 62.0 % concurrently. CONCLUSION: Nomegestrol acetate directly inhibited the steroidogenesis of granulosa cells...
- [Actions of a 19-norprogesterone derivative on mammary gland: nomegestrol acetate]G Andre
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 34:69-84. 2005..As the biological effects of progestins vary according to their molecular structure, it becomes essential to differentiate the various types of progestins, particularly with regard to the breast...
- Postmenopausal femur bone loss: effects of a low dose hormone replacement therapyMarco Gambacciani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Maturitas 45:175-83. 2003..Previous studies indicate that low-dose hormone replacement therapy (LD-HRT) can relieve vasomotor symptoms and prevent spine bone loss...
- [Antigonadotropic effects of a 19-nor-progesterone derivative: the example of nomegestrol acetate]C Jamin
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hopital Bichat Claude Bernard, 46, rue Henri Huchard, 75018, Paris, France
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 31:70-81. 2003..However, it must be emphasized that data from experimental conditions required for the calculation of the Pearl Index are not available and therefore there is no legal claim for "contraception"...
- Control of sulfatase activity by nomegestrol acetate in normal and cancerous human breast tissuesGerard Samuel Chetrite
Hormones and Cancer Research Unit, Institut de Puériculture et de Périnatalogie, 26 Boulevard Brune, 75014 Paris, France
Anticancer Res 25:2827-30. 2005..The inhibition of estrone sulfatase activity by NOMAC in total normal or cancerous breast tissues can open attractive perspectives for future clinical trials...
- Bleeding patterns during continuous estradiol with different sequential progestogens therapyCostantino Di Carlo
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, and Pathophysiology of Human Reproduction, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Menopause 12:520-5. 2005..To evaluate the effects on monthly bleeding of four different progestogens administered in association with transdermal estradiol in a continuous sequential estrogen-progestin therapy (CS-EPT)...
- Existing and emerging endocrine therapies for breast cancerKaren Hassey Dow
College of Health and Public Affairs, University of Central Florida, HPA 1 Suite 2210, Orlando, FL 32816 2210, USA
Cancer Nurs 25:6S-11S. 2002..Commonly used endocrine therapies are tamoxifen, megestrol acetate, and aromatase inhibitors...
- [Reversal of nomegestrol acetate on multidrug resistance in drug-resistant human breast cancer cell line MCF7/ADR]Jie Li
Department of Oncology, Xin Hua Hospital Cancer Center, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200092, China
Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 24:129-32. 2002..To study the reversal effect of nomegestrol acetate (NOM) on mutidrug resistance (MDR) in MCF7/ADR and its mechanism...
- Progestogens: effects on clinical and biochemical parameters in postmenopausal womenDavid F Archer
Menopause 12:484-7. 2005
- Effect of megestrol caproate on the reproductive function of laboratory animalsO L Pirzada
Laboratory of Pharmacology, D O Ott Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg
Bull Exp Biol Med 133:574-6. 2002In vivo experiments on rats and rabbits showed that megestrol caproate, a 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone derivative exhibits 10-fold higher gestagenic activity compared to progesterone and possesses no androgenic, anabolic, and estrogenic ..
- Nomegestrol acetate may enhance the skeletal effects of estradiol on biochemical markers of bone turnover in menopausal women after a 12-week treatment periodM L Nguyên-Pascal
Laboratoire Theramex, Paris, France
Climacteric 8:136-45. 2005..To compare the effects of a 12-week treatment with 17ss-estradiol given alone and in sequential combination with 3.75 mg of nomegestrol acetate (Naemis), or a placebo on biochemical markers of bone turnover in menopausal women...
- Effects of progestins of human proliferative endometrium: an in vitro model of potential clinical relevanceSeverine Illouz
Pathology Department, University of Marseille Medical School, Nord Hospital, Boulevard Pierre Dramard, 13916 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Int J Mol Med 12:517-23. 2003....
- Effects of transdermal hormone replacement therapy on levels of soluble P- and E-selectin in postmenopausal healthy womenAngelo Farzati
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Fertil Steril 77:476-80. 2002..To study the adhesion molecule pattern in postmenopausal women who were not receiving hormone replacement therapy (HRT), HRT users, and fertile women...
- Oral high-dose progestins as treatment for advanced breast cancerS Lundgren
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Oncol 28:811-6. 1989..advanced breast cancer patients who received oral high-dose progestins (medroxyprogesterone acetate [MPA] and/or megestrol acetate [MA]) were retrospectively reviewed...
- [Evaluation of the hematochemical parameters and bone mineral density of women in physiological menopause treated with hormone replacement therapy with nomegestrol acetate and surgical menopause treated with estrogen replacement. Part II]S Savoca
Unità per gli Studi sulla Menopausa, Clinica Ostetrica e Ginecologica II, Dipartimento di Ostetricia, Ginecologia e Scienze Radiologiche, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria, Gaspare Rodolico, Policlinico di Catania, Catania
Minerva Ginecol 59:215-22. 2007....
- Insulin-like growth factors in breast cancerS I Helle
Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Oncol 35:19-22. 1996..reduce the expression of IGF-IR in vitro and suppress plasma levels of IGF-I but elevate IGF-binding protein-1 in vivo, megestrol acetate may reduce the delivery of IGFs to the tissues by inhibition of IGFBP-3 protease activity.
- [Comparison of changes in biochemical markers of bone turnover after 6 months of hormone replacement therapy with either transdermal 17 beta-estradiol or equine conjugated estrogen plus nomegestrol acetate]J Collette
Unité d exploration du métabolisme osseux, CHU Brull, 45, Quai Godefroid Kurth, 4020 Liege, Belgique
Gynecol Obstet Fertil 31:434-41. 2003....
- Effects of estrogen, raloxifene, and hormone replacement therapy on serum C-reactive protein and homocysteine levelsMert Gol
Dokuz Eylul University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey
Maturitas 53:252-9. 2006....
- A comparison of the central effects of different progestins used in hormone replacement therapyAngelo Cagnacci
Department of Obstetrics Gynaecology and Pediatrics, Policlinico di Modena, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Maturitas 48:456-62. 2004..To evaluate the central effect exerted by different progestins used for hormone replacement therapy...
- [Nome gesrol (lutenyl) induced severe acute hepatitis]Riadh Daghfous
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 28:94-5. 2004
- [Effects of a 19-norprogesterone derivative, the fourth decade nomegestrol acetate, on lipids]C Pelissier
Service de Gynecologie Obstetrique, Hôpital Bichat Claud Bernard, Paris
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 64:216-26. 2003..Nomegestrol acetate has proven its neutral effects on lipid metabolism and does not alter the beneficial estrogen-induced lipid effects...
- Cyclic progestin administration increases energy expenditure and decreases body fat mass in perimenopausal womenAngelo Cagnacci
Department of Obstetrics Gynaecology and Paediatrics, Policlinico di Modena, Modena, Italy
Menopause 13:197-201. 2006..Resting metabolic rate (RMR) is increased in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. We evaluated whether progestin administration increases RMR and influences body composition of perimenopausal women...
- Experience with hormonal therapy in advanced epithelial ovarian cancerN van der Vange
Department of Medical Oncology, Free University Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Oncol 34:813-20. 1995..It is suggested to further study this in patients who do not reach a complete response after standard induction chemotherapy, particularly in those with well-differentiated tumors...
- An overview of nomegestrol acetate selective receptor binding and lack of estrogenic action on hormone-dependent cancer cellsJ Shields-Botella
Non Clinical Research and Development Department, Théramex, 6 Avenue Prince Hereditaire Albert, 98000, Principaute de Monaco, Monaco
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 87:111-22. 2003..It may provide a better pharmacological profile than those progestins currently in use in HRT and OC...
- Longitudinal evaluation of serum leptin and bone mineral density in early postmenopausal womenCostantino Di Carlo
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Naples Federico II, Italy
Menopause 14:450-4. 2007..To evaluate total and site-specific bone mineral density (BMD) and serum leptin levels in postmenopausal women treated with a calcium supplement and in postmenopausal women receiving estrogen plus progestin therapy...
- Cost utility and budget impact of third-generation aromatase inhibitors for advanced breast cancer: a literature-based model analysis of costs in the Italian National Health ServiceMonia Marchetti
Laboratory of Medical Informatics, Institute for Scientific Research and Health Care, Pavia, Italy
Clin Ther 26:1546-61. 2004..Third-generation aromatase inhibitors are effective alternatives to tamoxifen in patients with advanced breast cancer. However, their acquisition costs might burden fixed-budget health care systems...
- Effects of a single Silastic contraceptive implant containing nomegestrol acetate (Uniplant) on endometrial morphology and ovarian function for 1 yearIone Cristina Barbosa
Maternidade Climerio de Oliveira, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Bahia 40055 150, Brazil
Contraception 74:492-7. 2006..This study was undertaken to evaluate the effects of a subdermal implant containing nomegestrol acetate (Uniplant) on endometrial histology and ovarian function...
- Economic evaluation of antiaromatase agents in the second-line treatment of metastatic breast cancerShailendra Verma
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre, 503 Smyth Road, K1H 1C4, Ottawa, Canada
Support Care Cancer 11:728-34. 2003An economic evaluation was conducted comparing anastrozole, exemestane, letrozole and megestrol for the second-line treatment of postmenopausal patients with hormone-sensitive metastatic breast cancer who had failed tamoxifen.
- Effects of the combined treatment with thalidomide, megestrol and interleukine-2 in cirrhotic patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. A pilot studyF Mirici Cappa
Department of Internal Medicine Cardioangiology Hepatology, University of Bologna, Via Albertoni 15, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:254-9. 2005..b>Megestrol and interleukin-2 have been proposed as a palliative treatment for hepatocellular carcinoma. AIMS...
- Treatment with inhibitors of angiogenesis in advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a new tool in our hands or simply a hope?G Cipriani
Department of Internal Medicine, Postgraduate School in Oncology, MCIDNENT, University of Florence, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 37:230-1. 2005
- Pregnancy following intracytoplasmic sperm injection and preimplantation genetic diagnosis after the conservative management of endometrial cancerA Demirol
Women s Health Clinic, Infertility and IVF Centre, Cankaya, Ankara, Turkey
Reprod Biomed Online 10:770-3. 2005..The patient was referred to a gynaecological oncologist for definitive surgery...
- Acute effects of megestrol on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axisThomas J Raedler
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Hamburg Medical Center, Martinistr 52, 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 52:482-6. 2003Clinical observations suggest that prolonged treatment with megestrol can lead to Cushing-like symptoms, while withdrawal of prolonged treatment with megestrol may result in adrenal insufficiency...
- Fertility-preserving treatment in young patients with endometrial adenocarcinomaChen Bin Wang
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Cancer 94:2192-8. 2002..However, a comprehensive guideline for selection, treatment, and follow-up is not available as yet...
- Variant estrogen receptors and their role in liver diseaseErica Villa
Department of Internal Medicine, Chair of Gastroenterology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via del Pozzo 71, 41100 Modena, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 193:65-9. 2002..On the other hand, megestrol, a drug able to block both the wild type and the variant form of ER, influence the clinical course of HCC ..
- Megestrol and tamoxifen in patients with advanced endometrial cancer: an Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study (E4882)K J Pandya
University of Rochester Cancer Center, New York 14642, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 24:43-6. 2001To investigate the effect of adding tamoxifen to megestrol in the hormonal therapy for advanced endometrial cancer, 66 patients were entered in this study...
- Hormonal treatment of a recurrent granulosa cell tumor of the ovary: case report and review of the literatureRonald D Hardy
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Riverside Methodist Hospitals, Columbus, OH 43214, USA
Gynecol Oncol 96:865-9. 2005..In advanced or recurrent disease, data are inconclusive regarding the benefit of either primary or adjuvant chemotherapy. Hormonal therapy has been suggested as an alternative treatment...
- The estrogenic activity of synthetic progestins used in oral contraceptives enhances fatty acid synthase-dependent breast cancer cell proliferation and survivalJavier A Menendez
Department of Medicine, Breast Cancer Translational Research Laboratory, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Int J Oncol 26:1507-15. 2005..was only slightly stimulated after exposure to two other progestins, medroxy-progesterone acetate (MPA) and megestrol acetate (MGA), which are used in postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy and high-dose progestin treatment ..
- Where do selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs) and aromatase inhibitors (AIs) now fit into breast cancer treatment algorithms?A Howell
CRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, M20 4BX, Manchester, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 79:227-37. 2001..Previously, often used treatments such as progestogens (megestrol acetate and medroxyprogesterone acetate) and androgens are now rarely used or confined to fourth or fifth line ..
- Phase II study of pentosan polysulfate (PPS) in patients with AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcomaG Schwartsmann
Department of Medical Oncology, Academic Hospital of Porto Alegre (HCPA, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Tumori 82:360-3. 1996..NYU stage II-IV and prior therapy included vincristine and etoposide (3 cases), local irradiation (4 cases) and megestrol acetate (2 cases)...
- Development of a rapid method for the analysis of synthetic growth promoters in bovine muscle using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometryE M Malone
The State Laboratory, Young s Cross, Celbridge, Co Kildare, Ireland
Anal Chim Acta 637:112-20. 2009..16-beta-OH stanozolol, methylboldenone, fluoxymesterone, methyltestosterone, medroxyprogesterone acetate, megestrol acetate, melengestrol acetate, dexamethasone, flumethasone, dienestrol and hexestrol...
- [Simultaneous determination of seven sex hormones in fish products using ultra performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry]Aizhi Zhang
Ningbo Academy of Product Quality Supervision and Inspection, Ningbo 315041, China
Se Pu 28:190-6. 2010..of seven sex hormones (norgestrel, methyltestosterone, testosterone propionate, medroxyprogesterone acetate, megestrol acetate, chlormadinone acetate, and nandrolone) residues in fish products was developed using ultra performance ..
- Trace analysis of androgens and progestogens in environmental waters by ultra-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometryHong Chang
College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
J Chromatogr A 1195:44-51. 2008..21alpha-hydroxyprogesterone, 6alpha-methyl-hydroxyprogesterone, 17alpha,20beta-dihydroxy-4-pregnene-3-one, megestrol acetate, norethindrone, norgestrel, medroxyprogesterone acetate) in environmental waters...
- DNA fragmentation, DNA repair and apoptosis induced in primary rat hepatocytes by dienogest, dydrogesterone and 1,4,6-androstatriene-17beta-ol-3-one acetateFrancesca Mattioli
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV 2, I 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutat Res 564:21-9. 2004..steroids that share the 17-hydroxy-3-oxopregna-4,6-diene structure - cyproterone acetate, chlormadinone acetate, megestrol acetate, and potassium canrenoate - have been shown previously to behave with different potency as liver-..
- Classification and pharmacology of progestinsAdolf E Schindler
, , Hufelandstr 55, Essen 45147, Germany
Maturitas 61:171-80. 2008..e. chlormadinone acetate, cyproterone acetate, medroxyprogesterone acetate, megestrol acetate), 19-norprogesterone derivatives (i.e...
- Effects of megestrol acetate on pituitary function and end-organ hormone secretion: a post hoc analysis of serum samples from a 12-week study in healthy older menDonald L Bodenner
Department of Geriatrics, Donald W Reynolds Center on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock 72205, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 3:160-7. 2005b>Megestrol acetate (MA) is a synthetic progestin commonly used to promote weight gain in malnourished older individuals...
- Intramuscular depot medroxyprogesterone versus oral megestrol for the control of postmenopausal hot flashes in breast cancer patients: a randomized studyG Bertelli
Medical Oncology, S Croce General Hospital, Cuneo, Italy
Ann Oncol 13:883-8. 2002..Progestins may offer a good alternative for the control of hot flashes in this setting; in particular, oral megestrol acetate has been proven effective in a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial...
- Indomethacin inhibits lordosis induced by ring A-reduced progestins: possible role of 3alpha-oxoreduction in progestin-facilitated lordosisC Beyer
CINVESTAV Universidad Autónoma de Tlaxcala, Tlaxcala, Tlax, 90, 000, Mexico
Horm Behav 35:1-8. 1999..g., LHRH release). Indomethacin did not significantly modify the effect of progesterone or megestrol acetate on lordosis. Yet, it significantly reduced the action of all ring A-reduced progestins...
- The effect of protease inhibitor therapy on growth and body composition in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected childrenT L Miller
Divisions, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Pediatrics 107:E77. 2001..To determine the effect of protease inhibitors (PIs) on growth and body composition in children with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection...
- Occurrence of androgens and progestogens in wastewater treatment plants and receiving river waters: comparison to estrogensHong Chang
Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes, College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
Water Res 45:732-40. 2011..The concentrations of synthetic progestogens (megestrol acetate: 41±25 ng/L; norethindrone: 6.5±3.3 ng/L; and medroxyprogesterone acetate: 6.0±3...
- A case of Müllerian adenosarcoma of the uterus treated with liposomal doxorubicinMarcela G del Carmen
Vincent Gynecologic Oncology Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Gynecol Oncol 88:456-8. 2003..We report on a case of uterine a denosarcoma responsive to treatment with liposomal doxorubicin (Doxil)...
- Megestrol acetate-associated adrenal insufficiencyDeepti Bulchandani
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, Missouri 64108, USA
Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 6:167-72. 2008b>Megestrol acetate (MA) is commonly used to promote weight gain in malnourished elderly patients. Although adrenal insufficiency has been reported as an adverse effect of MA, this association is not well recognized in clinical practice.
- Effects of nutritional support in patients with colorectal cancer during chemotherapyRenata Dobrila Dintinjana
Gastroenterology Department, University Hospital Center Rijeka, Rijeka, Croatia
Coll Antropol 32:737-40. 2008..In our study we tried to assess the influence of nutritional support (counseling, oral liquids, megestrol acetate) on nutritional status and symptoms prevalence in patients with colorectal cancer during chemotherapy...
- Determination of anabolic steroids in muscle tissue by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryGeorge Kaklamanos
Veterinary Laboratory of Serres, Terma Omonoias, 62110 Serres, Greece
J Chromatogr A 1216:8072-9. 2009..dexamethasone, flumethasone, alpha/beta-zearalenol, alpha/beta-zearalanol, zearalenone, melengestrol acetate, megestrol acetate and medroxyprogesterone acetate)...
- The role of aromatase inhibitors in early breast cancerCathie T Chung
Division of Oncology, Stanford University, 300 Pasteur Drive, H0274, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Curr Treat Options Oncol 4:133-40. 2003..Nonsteroidal and steroidal AIs have demonstrated to be superior to megestrol acetate in second-line therapy of postmenopausal women with metastatic breast cancer, and selective nonsteroidal ..
- Side effects of androgen deprivation therapy: monitoring and minimizing toxicityCelestia S Higano
Department of Urology, University of Washington School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Urology 61:32-8. 2003..The incidence of hot flashes, which may not abate over the course of ADT, is close to 80%. Estrogens, progestin megestrol acetate, medroxyprogesterone acetate, venlafaxine, and cyproterone acetate have been shown to alleviate hot ..
- The effect of cyproheptadine hydrochloride (periactin) and megestrol acetate (megace) on weight in children with cancer/treatment-related cachexiaMarisa Couluris
Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:791-7. 2008..Malnutrition can erode quality of life and adversely impact disease prognosis. Appetite stimulation and increased food intake is 1 approach to combat cancer-related cachexia...
- Cell surface-binding sites for progesterone mediate calcium uptake in human spermP F Blackmore
Department of Pharmacology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk 23501
J Biol Chem 266:18655-9. 1991..Also the synthetic progestins megestrol, medroxyprogesterone acetate, norgestrel, norethynodrel, norethindrone, R5020, and cyproterone acetate did not ..
- Effects of megestrol acetate on circulating interleukin-15 and interleukin-18 concentrations in healthy elderly menCharles P Lambert
Nutrition, Metabolism, and Exercise Laboratory, Donald W Reynolds Center on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Central Arkansas Veterans Health System, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 59:855-8. 2004..The authors previously reported that megestrol acetate ingestion causes a large accumulation of adipose tissue and reduces muscle mass...
- Antiandrogens: a summary review of pharmacodynamic properties and tolerability in prostate cancer therapyR Migliari
Operative Unit of Urology, ASL 8, Arezzo, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 71:293-302. 1999..flutamide, nilutamide and the more recent bicalutamide and the steroidal antiandrogens cyproterone acetate, megestrol acetate and WIN 49596...
- [Study on simultaneous determination method for banded synthesis hormones residues in egg products]Quanlin Wang
Ningbo Academy of Product Quality Supervision and Inspection, Ningbo 315041, China
Wei Sheng Yan Jiu 38:740-6. 2009..To develop method of 7 banded synthesis sex hormones residues in egg products determined by ultra performance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC-MS/MS)...
- Sex-specific induction of apoptosis by cyproterone acetate in primary rat hepatocytesP Kasper
Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices, Seestrasse 10, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Carcinogenesis 20:2185-8. 1999..b>Megestrol acetate and chlormadinone acetate, two structural analogues of CPA with a much lower genotoxic potency, did not ..
- The effects of megestrol acetate suspension for elderly patients with reduced appetite after hospitalization: a phase II randomized clinical trialDavid B Reuben
UCLA Multicampus Program in Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:970-5. 2005To provide preliminary evidence on the effectiveness and optimal dosage of megestrol acetate for older persons with impaired appetite after hospitalization.
- Letrozole. A review of its use in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancerH M Lamb
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 56:1125-40. 1998..The median duration of response compared favourably with both comparator agents, aminoglutethimide and megestrol (15 and 18 months, respectively), as did objective response rates (12.4 and 16.4%). Letrozole 2...
- Letrozole (CGS 20267), a new oral aromatase inhibitor for the treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal patientsP F Trunet
Department of Research, Pharmaceuticals Division, Ciba-Geigy Limited, Basel, Switzerland
Acta Oncol 35:15-8. 1996..Letrozole was well tolerated. Phase IIb/III studies are on going to compare two doses of letrozole with megestrol acetate or AG in order to confirm the anti-tumor efficacy of letrozole in the treatment of ABC in postmenopausal ..
- Treatment with nandrolone decanoate and megestrol acetate in HIV-infected menCristina Cuerda
Nutrition Unit, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, 28007 Madrid, Spain
Nutr Clin Pract 20:93-7. 2005..Malnutrition, especially loss of lean body mass, is a frequent complication of people living with HIV that may increase their mortality and morbidity...
- Megestrol acetate stimulates weight gain and ventilation in underweight COPD patientsJeffrey Weisberg
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
Chest 121:1070-8. 2002To assess the effect of megestrol acetate (MA), a progestational appetite stimulant commonly used in patients with AIDS and cancer, on body weight and composition, respiratory muscle strength, arterial blood gas levels, and subjective ..
- Anastrozole. A review of its use in the management of postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancerL R Wiseman
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs Aging 13:321-32. 1998..In two phase III clinical trials, anastrozole 1 or 10 mg/day showed similar clinical efficacy to that of oral megestrol (megestrol acetate) 160 mg/day in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer...
- Estimation of Cachexia among Cancer Patients Based on Four DefinitionsKathleen M Fox
Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, P O Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
J Oncol 2009:693458. 2009..2) ICD-9 diagnosis of cachexia, anorexia, abnormal weight loss, or feeding difficulties, (3) prescription for megestrol acetate, oxandrolone, somatropin, or dronabinol, and (4) >/=5% weight loss...
- Genotoxicity testing of potassium canrenoate in cultured rat and human cellsA Martelli
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Genoa, Viale Benedetto XV 2, I 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutagenesis 14:463-72. 1999..PC shares the 17-hydroxy-3-oxopregna-4,6-diene structure with cyproterone acetate, chlormadinone acetate and megestrol acetate, previously found to be genotoxic to both rat and human hepatocytes, the potential carcinogenic hazard ..
- Aromatase inhibitors and their future role in post-menopausal women with early breast cancerP E Lønning
Department of Therapeutic Oncology and Radiophysics, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Br J Cancer 78:12-5. 1998Anastrozole is the first aromatase inhibitor to show a significant survival advantage over megestrol acetate in post-menopausal women with advanced breast cancer...
- Randomized phase III clinical trial of five different arms of treatment in 332 patients with cancer cachexiaGiovanni Mantovani
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Oncologist 15:200-11. 2010....
- Orexigenic and anabolic agentsJohn E Morley
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1402 South Grand Boulevard M238, Saint Louis, MO 63104, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 18:853-66. 2002..At present in the United States two effective anorectic agents are commonly used, namely, megestrol acetate and dronabinol. These two agents are compared in Table 1...
- Wine for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2011..Yet palliative options remain limited. Our group has demonstrated that megestrol acetate is one of the best agents available for palliating anorexia, but it improves appetite in fewer than 40% ..
- MEGESTROL ACETATE FOR TREATMENT OF CANCER CACHEXIADavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 1992..In 1986, Tchekmedyian et.al. observed weight gain in 30 of 33 advanced breast cancer patients treated with megestrol acetate, a progestational steroid...
- NUTRITION INTERVENTION IN AIDS WASTINGSherwood Gorbach; Fiscal Year: 1999..dietary counseling alone; (2) optimal oral nutrition using a peptide-based supplement and an appetite stimulant, megestrol acetate, along with dietary counseling; and 3) enteral nutrition using nocturnal enteral supplementation through ..
- Strategies to Improve COPD ManagementRichard Casaburi; Fiscal Year: 2007..We build on our recent demonstrations that testosterone increases muscle mass and strength in COPD men and that megestrol acetate stimulates appetite and increases body weight in COPD...
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- Creatine: Is It a Body Builder for Cancer Patients?Aminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..obtain longitudinal toxicity and quality of life data on this same cohort of 50 patients and will make direct comparisons between treatment arms on toxicity incidence and severity and on maximal quality of life scores ..
- Mechanisms and Therapeutics in Cancer Anorexia/CachexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2004..This K23 grant application will serve as a springboard to allow her to delve into the pathophysiology of this syndrome and to develop into an independent clinical investigator. ..
- RCT of a Novel Oral Contraceptive Initiation MethodCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study to adoption of and adherence to oral contraceptives. We will also assess dual method use for STD prevention in the study population. ..
- CANCER CHEMOPREVENTION--ROLE OF INFECTION/IMMUNITYCharles Loprinzi; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Obesity, Oral Contraception and Ovarian SuppressionCarolyn Westhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will have very good power to detect clinically important differences. Results could directly and immediately affect contraceptive practice. ..
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Estrogen, Inflammation and Cardiovascular RiskDavid Reuben; Fiscal Year: 2003..These findings may provide substantial insight into why CEE appears to promote early but protect against late cardiovascular effects. ..
- Correlative Studies of erbB-2/HER2 and p53 in CALGB Pro.Daniel Hayes; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Genetic epidemiology of glutathione and CF lung diseaseEDWARD MCKONE; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- METABOLIC EFFECTS OF PROTEASE INHIBITORS IN HIV DISEASEKathleen Mulligan; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Cytokine Inhibition in Hepatocellular CarcinomaJonathan Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2005....