Genomes and Genes
Summary: An epimer of chenodeoxycholic acid. It is a mammalian bile acid found first in the bear and is apparently either a precursor or a product of chenodeoxycholate. Its administration changes the composition of bile and may dissolve gallstones. It is used as a cholagogue and choleretic.
Publications305 found, 100 shown here
- Primary biliary cirrhosisMarshall M Kaplan
Division of Gastroenterology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1261-73. 2005
- miR-34a/SIRT1/p53 is suppressed by ursodeoxycholic acid in the rat liver and activated by disease severity in human non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseRui E Castro
Research Institute for Medicines and Pharmaceutical Sciences iMED UL, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
J Hepatol 58:119-25. 2013..microRNA (miRNA or miR) expression has recently been reported to be altered in human NASH, and modulated by ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in the rat liver...
- Efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid in treating intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy: a meta-analysisYannick Bacq
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, CHRU de Tours, Tours, France
Gastroenterology 143:1492-501. 2012We performed a meta-analysis to evaluate the effects of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) on pruritus, liver test results, and outcomes of babies born to women with intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP).
- Ursodeoxycholic acid stimulates Nrf2-mediated hepatocellular transport, detoxification, and antioxidative stress systems in miceKosuke Okada
Dept of Gastroenterology, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, Univ of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba shi, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 295:G735-47. 2008The protective action of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in cholestatic liver diseases may be mediated by choleresis, detoxification, and cytoprotection against oxidative stress...
- Ligand-independent activation of the glucocorticoid receptor by ursodeoxycholic acid. Repression of IFN-gamma-induced MHC class II gene expression via a glucocorticoid receptor-dependent pathwayH Tanaka
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Asahikawa Medical College, Japan
J Immunol 156:1601-8. 1996The therapeutic effectiveness of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) for various autoimmune liver diseases strongly indicates that UDCA possesses immunomodulatory activities...
- Identification of microRNAs during rat liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy and modulation by ursodeoxycholic acidRui E Castro
Research Institute for Medicines and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Univ of Lisbon, Portugal
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 299:G887-97. 2010..In addition, we have previously shown that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) modulates mRNA levels during liver regeneration...
- Game and players: mitochondrial apoptosis and the therapeutic potential of ursodeoxycholic acidSusana Sola
Centro de Patogenese Molecular, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Curr Issues Mol Biol 9:123-38. 2007..Interestingly, we have shown that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), an endogenous hydrophilic bile acid, is a potent inhibitor of apoptosis by either stabilizing the ..
- High-dose ursodeoxycholic acid therapy for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trialUlrich F H Leuschner
Interdisziplinäres Facharztzentrum Sachsenhausen, Frankfurt, Germany
Hepatology 52:472-9. 2010In uncontrolled clinical studies, ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) had a beneficial effect on nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). However, a large controlled trial using UDCA (13-15 mg/kg/day) was unable to confirm these results...
- Combination of retinoic acid and ursodeoxycholic acid attenuates liver injury in bile duct-ligated rats and human hepatic cellsHongwei He
Yale Liver Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Hepatology 53:548-57. 2011..Despite limited benefits, ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is the only Food and Drug Administration-approved treatment for cholestatic disorders...
- Mechanisms of action and therapeutic efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid in cholestatic liver diseaseGustav Paumgartner
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, Marchioninistrasse15, University of Munich, 81377 Munich, Germany
Clin Liver Dis 8:67-81, vi. 2004b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is widely used for the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases...
- High-dose ursodeoxycholic acid is associated with the development of colorectal neoplasia in patients with ulcerative colitis and primary sclerosing cholangitisJohn E Eaton
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1638-45. 2011Some studies have suggested that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) may have a chemopreventive effect on the development of colorectal neoplasia in patients with ulcerative colitis (UC) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid as a chemopreventive agent in patients with ulcerative colitis and primary sclerosing cholangitisDarrell S Pardi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Division of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 124:889-93. 2003b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) has shown effectiveness as a colon cancer chemopreventive agent in preclinical studies...
- Complementary stimulation of hepatobiliary transport and detoxification systems by rifampicin and ursodeoxycholic acid in humansHanns Ulrich Marschall
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Gastroenterology 129:476-85. 2005Rifampicin (RIFA) and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) improve symptoms and biochemical markers of liver injury in cholestatic liver diseases by largely unknown mechanisms...
- The effect of ursodeoxycholic acid on oxidative stress level and DNase activity in rat liver after bile duct ligationDusan Sokolovic
Department of Biochemistry, the University of Nis Medical School, Nis, Serbia
Drug Chem Toxicol 36:141-8. 2013..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) acts as a protector in BA-induced cell injury...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid with vitamin E in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: long-term resultsFlorence Pietu
Hospices civils de Lyon pavillon H, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Fédération des spécialités digestives, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol 36:146-55. 2012The combination of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and vitamin E is a therapeutic option for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) but randomized controlled studies have produced inconsistent results...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid versus placebo, and early term delivery versus expectant management, in women with intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy: semifactorial randomised clinical trialLucy C Chappell
Women s Health Academic Centre, King s Health Partners, UK
BMJ 344:e3799. 2012To test whether ursodeoxycholic acid reduces pruritus in women with intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy, whether early term delivery does not increase the incidence of caesarean section, and the feasibility of recruiting women with ..
- The role of membrane cholesterol in determining bile acid cytotoxicity and cytoprotection of ursodeoxycholic acidYong Zhou
Department of Pediatrics Gastroenterology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1788:507-13. 2009..However, ursodeoxycholic acid (UDC), a hydrophilic bile acid, is used to treat cholestasis because it protects membranes...
- Combination of ursodeoxycholic acid and glucocorticoids upregulates the AE2 alternate promoter in human liver cellsFabián Arenas
Division of Gene Therapy and Hepatology, Center for Applied Medical Research, Clinica Universitaria, University of Navarra School of Medicine, CIBERehd, Pamplona, Spain
J Clin Invest 118:695-709. 2008..The bile acid ursodeoxycholic acid (UCDA) is currently used in treatment of cholestatic liver diseases and is the treatment of choice in PBC; ..
- Alterations in lipid metabolism mediate inflammation, fibrosis, and proliferation in a mouse model of chronic cholestatic liver injuryTarek Moustafa
Laboratory of Experimental and Molecular Hepatology, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Gastroenterology 142:140-151.e12. 2012..The liver controls central processes of lipid and bile acid homeostasis. We aimed to investigate whether alterations in lipid metabolism contribute to the pathogenesis of chronic cholestatic liver disease in mice...
- Safety, tolerability, and cerebrospinal fluid penetration of ursodeoxycholic Acid in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosisGareth J Parry
Department of Neurology, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 33:17-21. 2010..Neuronal cell death offers a potential target for therapeutic intervention. Ursodeoxycholic acid is a cytoprotective, endogenous bile acid that has been shown to be neuroprotective in experimental ..
- Thioredoxin levels in the sera of untreated viral hepatitis patients and those treated with glycyrrhizin or ursodeoxycholic acidT Nakashima
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Antioxid Redox Signal 2:687-94. 2000..exclusion test values, and were markedly decreased following treatment with Stronger Neo-Minophagen C or ursodeoxycholic acid. In conclusion serum TRX levels, a marker of oxidative stress, were higher in patients with HCV infection ..
- Modulation of nuclear steroid receptors by ursodeoxycholic acid inhibits TGF-beta1-induced E2F-1/p53-mediated apoptosis of rat hepatocytesSusana Sola
Centro de Patogenese Molecular, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Lisbon 1600 083, Portugal
Biochemistry 43:8429-38. 2004We have recently shown that both ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) prevent transforming growth factor beta1 (TGF-beta1)-induced hepatocyte apoptosis by modulating the E2F-1/p53/Bax pathway...
- Bezafibrate treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis following incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acidRawi Hazzan
Department of Medicine D, Liver Institute, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Hospital, Sackler School of Medicine Tel Aviv University, Petah Tikva, Israel
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:371-3. 2010b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is the only current pharmacologic treatment for primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). However, some patients show persistent liver biochemical abnormalities even after 6 to 12 months treatment...
- High-dose ursodeoxycholic acid for the treatment of primary sclerosing cholangitisKeith D Lindor
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Hepatology 50:808-14. 2009Previous controlled trials are inconclusive regarding the efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) for treating primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)...
- Bile salts control the antimicrobial peptide cathelicidin through nuclear receptors in the human biliary epitheliumEmilie D'Aldebert
UPMC Univ Paris 06, INSERM, UMR_S 893, CdR Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Gastroenterology 136:1435-43. 2009..Here, we hypothesized that bile salts may stimulate the expression of a major antimicrobial peptide, cathelicidin, through nuclear receptors in the biliary epithelium...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid aggravates bile infarcts in bile duct-ligated and Mdr2 knockout mice via disruption of cholangiolesPeter Fickert
Department of Medicine, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Gastroenterology 123:1238-51. 2002The effects of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in biliary obstruction are unclear. We aimed to determine the effects of UDCA in bile duct-ligated and in Mdr2 knockout (Mdr2(-/-)) mice with biliary strictures.
- Hepatoprotection by the farnesoid X receptor agonist GW4064 in rat models of intra- and extrahepatic cholestasisYaping Liu
Nuclear Receptor Functional Analysis, High Thruput Biology, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Clin Invest 112:1678-87. 2003..The hepatoprotection seen in these animal models by the synthetic FXR agonist suggests FXR agonists may be useful in the treatment of cholestatic liver disease...
- Phase III trial of ursodeoxycholic acid to prevent colorectal adenoma recurrenceDavid S Alberts
Department of Medicine, Arizona Cancer Center, College of Public Health, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:846-53. 2005b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) treatment is associated with a reduced incidence of colonic neoplasia in preclinical models and in patients with conditions associated with an increased risk for colon cancer...
- Changes in hepatic gene expression upon oral administration of taurine-conjugated ursodeoxycholic acid in ob/ob miceJae Seong Yang
School of Interdisciplinary Bioscience and Bioengineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, South Korea
PLoS ONE 5:e13858. 2010..It was recently reported that intraperitoneal administration of taurine-conjugated ursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) improved hepatic steatosis in ob/ob mice...
- Role of nuclear bile acid receptor, FXR, in adaptive ABC transporter regulation by cholic and ursodeoxycholic acid in mouse liver, kidney and intestineGernot Zollner
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Karl Franzens University, Auenbruggerplatz 15, A 8036 Graz, Austria
J Hepatol 39:480-8. 2003..Whether adaptive changes in ATP-binding cassette (ABC) transporter expression are stimulated by bile acids and their nuclear receptor FXR is unknown...
- Primary sclerosing cholangitisTom H Karlsen
Norwegian PSC Research Center, Clinic for Specialized Medicine and Surgery, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 24:655-66. 2010..In the present review, we aim to summarise the present knowledge of PSC with a particular emphasis on the possible basis of disease variability...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid prevents selenite-induced oxidative stress and alleviates cataract formation: In vitro and in vivo studiesHui Ping Qi
Department of Ophthalmology, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
Mol Vis 18:151-60. 2012To evaluate the antioxidative and anticataractogenic potential effect of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) on selenite-induced cataract in vitro and in vivo.
- Pharmacotherapy of cholestatic liver diseasesGustav Paumgartner
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Dig Dis 11:119-25. 2010..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid protects the biliary epithelium by reducing the toxicity of bile, stimulates hepatobiliary secretion by ..
- Ursodeoxycholic acid and atorvastatin in the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitisMurat Kiyici
Department of Gastroenterology, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
Can J Gastroenterol 17:713-8. 2003..Currently, there is no established therapy for NASH. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of atorvastatin and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in the treatment of NASH.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) therapy in very-low-birth-weight infants with parenteral nutrition-associated cholestasisChien Yi Chen
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei 100, Taiwan
J Pediatr 145:317-21. 2004To determine the effect of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) infants with parenteral nutrition-associated cholestasis (PNAC).
- Latest and emerging therapies for primary biliary cirrhosis and primary sclerosing cholangitisClaudia O Zein
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 12:13-22. 2010..In PBC, therapy with ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is safe and has been associated with tangible biochemical, histologic, and survival benefits...
- A randomized double-blind study of the short-time treatment of obese patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease with ursodeoxycholic acidV N Santos
Disciplina de Gastroenterologia, Departamento de Medicina, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:723-9. 2003In order to determine the effect of ursodeoxycholic acid on nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, 30 patients with body mass indices higher than 25, serum levels of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) or gamma-..
- Ursodeoxycholic acid intervention in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis: a pilot studyMarloes Berkhout
Transl Res 150:147-9. 2007
- Ursodeoxycholic acid and histological progression in primary biliary cirrhosisChun Wing Chan
J Hepatol 39:1094-5. 2003
- High-dose ursodeoxycholic acid increases risk of adverse outcomes in patients with early stage primary sclerosing cholangitisM H Imam
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 34:1185-92. 2011b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in a dose of 28-30 mg/kg/day increases the likelihood of clinical deterioration of primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) patients.
- The chemopreventive agent ursodeoxycholic acid inhibits proliferation of colon carcinoma cells by suppressing c-Myc expressionRoser Peiró-Jordán
Department of Gastroenterology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Cancer Prev 21:413-22. 2012b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) can prevent chemical and colitis-associated colon carcinogenesis by unknown mechanism(s). One of the processes underlying the chemopreventive action could be the inhibition of proliferation by UDCA...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid in cholestasis: linking action mechanisms to therapeutic applicationsMarcelo G Roma
Institute of Experimental Physiology IFISE CONICET, Faculty of Biochemical and Pharmacautical Sciences, National University of Rosario, Suipacha 570, S2002LRL Rosario, Argentina
Clin Sci (Lond) 121:523-44. 2011UDCA (ursodeoxycholic acid) is the therapeutic agent most widely used for the treatment of cholestatic hepatopathies. Its use has expanded to other kinds of hepatic diseases, and even to extrahepatic ones...
- Treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis with ursodeoxycholic acid, budesonide and fibratesRaoul Poupon
UPMC Univ Paris 06, INSERM, UMR_S 938, Service d Hépatologie et Centre de Référence des Maladies Inflammatoires des Voies Biliaires, Hopital Saint Antoine, AP HP, Paris, France
Dig Dis 29:85-8. 2011Long-term treatment with ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA; 13-15 mg/kg/day) in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) improves biochemical liver tests, delays histological progression and prolongs survival without liver transplantation...
- The Japanese multicenter open randomized trial of ursodeoxycholic acid prophylaxis for hepatic veno-occlusive disease after stem cell transplantationK Ohashi
Hematology Division, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Japan
Am J Hematol 64:32-8. 2000..Limited studies have suggested that prophylactic use of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) reduced the incidence of VOD...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid and bile-acid mimetics as therapeutic agents for cholestatic liver diseases: an overview of their mechanisms of actionRaoul Poupon
Service d Hépatologie et Centre de Référence des Maladies Inflammatoires des Voies Biliaires, Hopital Saint Antoine, AP HP, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Clin Res Hepatol Gastroenterol 36:S3-12. 2012..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), initially introduced as a therapeutic approach to counteract the cholestatic components to PBC and ..
- Strong activation of bile acid-sensitive ion channel (BASIC) by ursodeoxycholic acidDominik Wiemuth
Department of Physiology, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Channels (Austin) 7:38-42. 2013..Furthermore, we show that rBASIC is strongly activated by the anticholestatic bile acid ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), suggesting that BASIC might mediate part of the therapeutic effects of UDCA.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid in primary biliary cirrhosis improves glutathione status but fails to reduce lipid peroxidationPhilip W Pemberton
The Liver Unit, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK
Redox Rep 11:117-23. 2006b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) may slow progression in primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), but its effect on survival is controversial...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid protects against secondary biliary cirrhosis in rats by preventing mitochondrial oxidative stressGaetano Serviddio
Department of Medical and Occupational Sciences, University of Foggia, Foggia, Italy
Hepatology 39:711-20. 2004b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) improves clinical and biochemical indices in primary biliary cirrhosis and prolongs survival free of liver transplantation...
- Combined endoscopic and ursodeoxycholic acid treatment of biliary cast syndrome in a non-transplant patientPanagiotis Katsinelos
Department of Endoscopy and Motility Unit, Central Hospital, and Department of Gastroenterology, Second Medical Clinic, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Ethnikis Aminis 41, Thessaloniki 54635, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 14:5223-5. 2008..Despite endoscopic extraction of a biliary cast, cholestasis remained unchanged. Oral administration of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), 750 mg/d, resulted in normalization of liver function tests...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid and tauroursodeoxycholic acid suppress choroidal neovascularization in a laser-treated rat modelSe Joon Woo
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 26:223-9. 2010The aim of this study was to investigate the suppressing effects of systemically administered ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) on choroidal neovascularization (CNV) in a laser-treated rat model.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid modulates histone acetylation and induces differentiation and senescenceSandeep Akare
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Int J Cancer 119:2958-69. 2006..In summary, our data shows that UDCA modulates chromatin by inducing histone hypoacetylation and induces differentiation and senescence in colon cancer cells...
- Side chain structure determines unique physiologic and therapeutic properties of norursodeoxycholic acid in Mdr2-/- miceEmina Halilbasic
Laboratory of Experimental and Molecular Hepatology, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Clinic of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Hepatology 49:1972-81. 200924-norursodeoxycholic acid (norUDCA), a side chain-modified ursodeoxycholic acid derivative, has dramatic therapeutic effects in experimental cholestasis and may be a promising agent for the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases...
- Biochemical and immunologic effects of rituximab in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and an incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acidMasanobu Tsuda
Divisions of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Clinical Immunology, University of California, Davis, CA 95817, USA
Hepatology 55:512-21. 2012..antibody rituximab in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) and an incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA)...
- Clinical significance of alanine aminotransferase levels and the effect of ursodeoxycholic acid in hemodialysis patients with chronic hepatitis CChika Nishida
Department of Digestive and Life style Related Disease, Health Research Course, Human and Environmental Sciences, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, 890 8520, Japan
J Gastroenterol 45:326-34. 2010The natural history of hepatitis C virus (HCV) carriers and the effect of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) have not been fully elucidated among hemodialysis (HD) patients.
- Long-term survival and impact of ursodeoxycholic acid treatment for recurrent primary biliary cirrhosis after liver transplantationPhunchai Charatcharoenwitthaya
Miles and Shirley Fitterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Liver Transpl 13:1236-45. 2007..The efficacy of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) for treatment of recurrent PBC after liver transplantation (LT) remains less well known...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid administration in patients with cholestasis of pregnancy: effects on primary bile acids in babies and mothersG Mazzella
Dipartimento di Malattie dell Apparato Digerente, del Metabolismo and delle Malattie Infettive, Azienda Ospedaliera di Bologna, Universita di Bologna, Italy
Hepatology 33:504-8. 2001Little is known about the effects on the fetus of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) treatment for intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (ICP). Twenty ICP patients were given UDCA at 1.5 to 2 g/d, to our knowledge the highest dosage yet reported...
- Functional modulation of the glucocorticoid receptor and suppression of NF-kappaB-dependent transcription by ursodeoxycholic acidT Miura
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Asahikawa Medical College, Midorigaoka-Higashi, Asahikawa 078-8510, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:47371-8. 2001b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is the current mainstay of treatment for various liver diseases including primary biliary cirrhosis. UDCA acts as a bile secretagogue, cytoprotective agent, immunomodulator, and inhibitor of cellular apoptosis...
- Nuclear translocation of UDCA by the glucocorticoid receptor is required to reduce TGF-beta1-induced apoptosis in rat hepatocytesSusana Sola
Centro de Patogenese Molecular, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
Hepatology 42:925-34. 2005b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) inhibits classical mitochondrial pathways of apoptosis by either directly stabilizing mitochondrial membranes or modulating specific upstream targets...
- Apoptosis and modulation of cell cycle control by synthetic derivatives of ursodeoxycholic acid and chenodeoxycholic acid in human prostate cancer cellsYung Hyun Choi
Department of Biochemistry, College of Oriental Medicine, Dong Eui University, and Research Center for Oriental Medicine, Busan 614 052, South Korea
Cancer Lett 199:157-67. 2003The effects of synthetic derivatives of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), HS-1183, and chenodeoxycholic acid (CDCA), HS-1199 and HS-1200, on the proliferation of human prostate carcinoma PC-3 cells were investigated...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid prevents apoptosis of mouse sensory neurons induced by cisplatin by reducing P53 accumulationIn H Park
Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Gachon University Gil Medical Center, 534 2 Yeonsu dong, Inchon 406 799, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 377:1025-30. 2008b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a component of bile acid, which is abundant in the gall bladder of bears, has been used in clinical medicine for cholestatic liver diseases...
- Effect of taurine-conjugated ursodeoxycholic acid on endoplasmic reticulum stress and apoptosis induced by advanced glycation end products in cultured mouse podocytesYu Chen
Department of Endocrinology, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, PR China
Am J Nephrol 28:1014-22. 2008..Activations of death receptors and mitochondrial damage are well-described common apoptotic pathways. Recently, a novel pathway via endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress has been reported...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid in patients with chronic heart failure: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trialStephan von Haehling
Applied Cachexia Research, Department of Cardiology, Charite Medical School, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 59:585-92. 2012This study sought to assess the effects of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) on endothelial function and inflammatory markers in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF).
- Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) can inhibit deoxycholic acid (DCA)-induced apoptosis via modulation of EGFR/Raf-1/ERK signaling in human colon cancer cellsEunok Im
Arizona Cancer Center, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Nutr 134:483-6. 2004b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a hydrophilic bile acid, is known as a cytoprotective agent. UDCA prevents apoptosis induced by a variety of stress stimuli including cytotoxic bile acids such as deoxycholic acid (DCA)...
- Additive improvement induced by bezafibrate in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis showing refractory response to ursodeoxycholic acidYasuto Takeuchi
Department of Internal Medicine, Okayama Saiseikai General Hospital, Okayama, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1395-401. 2011b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) has been widely used in the treatment of patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). However, some patients are refractory to UDCA...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid modulates E2F-1 and p53 expression through a caspase-independent mechanism in transforming growth factor beta1-induced apoptosis of rat hepatocytesSusana Sola
Centro de Patogenese Molecular, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, 1600 083 Lisbon, Portugal
J Biol Chem 278:48831-8. 2003..In previous studies, we have shown that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) prevents TGF-beta1-induced hepatocyte apoptosis by inhibiting the mitochondrial pathway of cell ..
- Randomized placebo-controlled trial of ursodeoxycholic acid with vitamin e in nonalcoholic steatohepatitisJean Francois Dufour
Institute of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Bern, Bern, and Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1537-43. 2006..UDCA and vitamin E have been considered separately as therapeutic options and have not been shown to be effective. This study tested their combination...
- Influence of ursodeoxycholic acid on the mortality and malignancy associated with primary biliary cirrhosis: a population-based cohort studyHannah Jackson
University of Nottingham Medical School, Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, Medical School, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Hepatology 46:1131-7. 2007..malignancy risk in people with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) and whether this risk is reduced by use of ursodeoxycholic acid. To investigate this issue, we identified 930 people with PBC and 9,202 control subjects from the General ..
- Effects of ursodeoxycholic and cholic acid feeding on hepatocellular transporter expression in mouse liverP Fickert
Department of Medicine, Karl-Franzens University, Auenbruggerplatz 15, A-8036 Graz, Austria
Gastroenterology 121:170-83. 2001..Conversely, nontoxic ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) stimulates bile secretion and counteracts cholestasis...
- Biochemical response to ursodeoxycholic acid and long-term prognosis in primary biliary cirrhosisChristophe Corpechot
Hepatology Department, Reference Center for Inflammatory Biliary Diseases, Saint Antoine Hospital, National Institute of Health and Medical Research INSERM, Pierre et Marie Curie University Paris 6, France
Hepatology 48:871-7. 2008Biochemical response to ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) is variable...
- Pharmacological interventions for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in adults and in children: a systematic reviewPiotr Socha
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Immunology, Children s Memorial Health Institute, Al Dzieci Polskich 20, Warsaw 04 730, Poland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 48:587-96. 2009..The present study assesses the effectiveness and safety of pharmacological and dietary supplement interventions for NAFLD...
- Coordinated induction of bile acid detoxification and alternative elimination in mice: role of FXR-regulated organic solute transporter-alpha/beta in the adaptive response to bile acidsGernot Zollner
Laboratory of Experimental and Molecular Hepatology, Div of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 15, Graz A 8036, Austria
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G923-32. 2006..We therefore fed FXR knockout (FXR(-/-)) mice with cholic acid (CA) and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA)...
- Budesonide combined with UDCA to improve liver histology in primary biliary cirrhosis: a three-year randomized trialHenna Rautiainen
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00029 HYKS, Finland
Hepatology 41:747-52. 2005b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is a safe medical therapy for primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), but its effect on liver histology remains uncertain...
- Drug insight: Mechanisms and sites of action of ursodeoxycholic acid in cholestasisUlrich Beuers
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:318-28. 2006b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) exerts anticholestatic effects in various cholestatic disorders...
- Clinical efficacy and effectiveness of ursodeoxycholic acid in cholestatic liver diseasesDavide Festi
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Curr Clin Pharmacol 2:155-77. 2007b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), previously used for cholesterol gallstone dissolution, is currently considered the first choice therapy for many forms of cholestatic syndromes...
- Role of ursodeoxycholic acid in prevention of methotrexate-induced liver toxicitySuleyman Uraz
Department of Gastroenterology, Kocaeli University Medical Faculty, Kocaeli, Turkey
Dig Dis Sci 53:1071-7. 2008..In this study, our aim was to research the role of oxidative stress in the hepatic toxicity of MTX and the protective effect of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in this setting.
- Management of primary biliary cirrhosis. The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases practice guidelinesE J Heathcote
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Toronto, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 31:1005-13. 2000..The hydrophilic bile acid, ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), has been shown when given in a dose of 13 to 15 mg/kg daily for up to 4 years to delay the time to ..
- Ursodeoxycholic acid in cholestatic liver disease: mechanisms of action and therapeutic use revisitedGustav Paumgartner
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Hepatology 36:525-31. 2002b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UCDA) is increasingly used for the treatment of cholestatic liver diseases...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid 'mechanisms of action and clinical use in hepatobiliary disorders'K N Lazaridis
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 55905, USA
J Hepatol 35:134-46. 2001....
- 24-norUrsodeoxycholic acid is superior to ursodeoxycholic acid in the treatment of sclerosing cholangitis in Mdr2 (Abcb4) knockout micePeter Fickert
Department of Medicine, Laboratory of Experimental and Molecular Hepatology, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical University Graz, Austria
Gastroenterology 130:465-81. 2006..Experiments were performed to test in such mice the therapeutic effects of 24-norUrsodeoxycholic acid, a C(23) homologue of ursodeoxycholic acid with 1 fewer methylene group in its side chain.
- Improved prognosis of patients with primary biliary cirrhosis that have a biochemical response to ursodeoxycholic acidEdith M M Kuiper
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 136:1281-7. 2009b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) improves laboratory liver test results in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC). Few studies have assessed the prognostic significance of biochemical data collected following UDCA treatment...
- Pilot study: fenofibrate for patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and an incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acidC Levy
Department of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:235-42. 2011Newer therapies are needed for patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA). Fenofibrate is a fibric acid postulated to regulate immune response and cell proliferation.
- Lipid raft-dependent death receptor 5 (DR5) expression and activation are critical for ursodeoxycholic acid-induced apoptosis in gastric cancer cellsSung Chul Lim
Research Center for Resistant Cells, Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea
Carcinogenesis 32:723-31. 2011b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is known as a suppressor of cholestatic liver diseases and colorectal cancer development...
- Efficacy and safety of ursodeoxycholic acid versus cholestyramine in intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancyJurate Kondrackiene
Department of Gastroenterology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Gastroenterology 129:894-901. 2005Treatment of intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy with ursodeoxycholic acid appears promising, but data are limited so far...
- p53 is a key molecular target of ursodeoxycholic acid in regulating apoptosisJoana D Amaral
iMed UL, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Avenida Prof Gama Pinto, Lisbon, Portugal
J Biol Chem 282:34250-9. 2007..In addition, we have previously shown that the hydrophilic bile acid ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) prevents transforming growth factor beta1-induced p53 stabilization and apoptosis in primary rat ..
- Excellent long-term survival in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis and biochemical response to ursodeoxycholic AcidAlbert Pares
Liver Unit, Digestive Diseases Institute, Hospital Clinic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 130:715-20. 2006....
- A protective antiarrhythmic role of ursodeoxycholic acid in an in vitro rat model of the cholestatic fetal heartMichele Miragoli
National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, London, England
Hepatology 54:1282-92. 2011..These arrhythmic events were prevented by ursodeoxycholic acid, which hyperpolarized MFB membrane potential by modulating potassium conductance.
- Bile acids and apoptosis modulation: an emerging role in experimental Alzheimer's diseaseRita M Ramalho
iMed UL, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Av Prof Gama Pinto, 1649 003 Lisbon, Portugal
Trends Mol Med 14:54-62. 2008..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and its taurine-conjugate, tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) are endogenous bile acids that act as ..
- Ursodeoxycholic acid suppresses Cox-2 expression in colon cancer: roles of Ras, p38, and CCAAT/enhancer-binding proteinSharad Khare
Department of Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Nutr Cancer 60:389-400. 2008..In contrast, we showed that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a low abundance bile acid, inhibited AOM tumorigenesis...
- Bezafibrate treatment: a new medical approach for PBC patients?Tatsuo Kanda
First Department of Medicine, Chiba University School of Medicine, Japan
J Gastroenterol 38:573-8. 2003A new medical approach to primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) has been desired. We investigated the feasibility of using combination ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA)-bezafibrate therapy in patients with PBC nonresponsive to UDCA monotherapy.
- Clinical course and outcome of autoimmune hepatitis/primary sclerosing cholangitis overlap syndromeAnnarosa Floreani
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 100:1516-22. 2005..Autoimmune hepatitis/primary sclerosing cholangitis (AIH/PSC) overlap syndrome is a relatively uncommon variant of PSC...
- B-cell depletion with rituximab in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis refractory to ursodeoxycholic acidRobert P Myers
Liver Unit, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 108:933-41. 2013..As ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is not successful in all patients with primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC), additional treatment options ..
- Relatively high risk for hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis not responding to ursodeoxycholic acidEdith M M Kuiper
Departments of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1495-502. 2010..Age, male sex, cirrhosis, and portal hypertension are reported risk factors. It has been suggested that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) may protect against HCC...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid treatment in isolated chronic graft-vs.-host disease of the liverMutlu Arat
Department of Hematology, Ankara University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Transplant 19:798-803. 2005Data regarding the long-term treatment of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in individuals of chronic graft-vs.-host disease (cGVHD) of the liver are limited...
- Ursodeoxycholic acid exerts no beneficial effect in patients with symptomatic gallstones awaiting cholecystectomyNiels G Venneman
Gastrointestinal Research Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
Hepatology 43:1276-83. 2006b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and impaired gallbladder motility purportedly reduce biliary pain and acute cholecystitis in patients with gallstones. However, the effect of UDCA in this setting has not been studied prospectively...
- Effect of ursodeoxycholic acid administration after liver transplantation on serum liver tests and biliary complications: a randomized clinical trialShu yun Wang
Department of General Surgery, Shanghai First People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Digestion 86:208-17. 2012..This study was designed to investigate the effects of hydrophilic ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) administration early after OLT on serum liver tests and the incidence of biliary complications.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid enhances fractional calcium absorption in primary biliary cirrhosisA Verma
Department of Medicine, Calderdale Royal Hospital, Halifax, UK
Osteoporos Int 13:677-82. 2002..Calcium malabsorption has been considered as an important contributing factor. Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is the treatment of choice in PBC, improving survival, but its effect on calcium absorption is ..
- Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) prevents DCA effects on male mouse liver via up-regulation of CYP [correction of CXP] and preservation of BSEP activitiesMoreno Paolini
Department of Pharmacology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Hepatology 36:305-14. 2002To investigate whether ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) can prevent metabolic impairment induced by deoxycholic acid (DCA), we evaluated the effects of these bile acids on murine CYP enzymes and the relationship with canalicular bile salt ..
- Induction of regulatory T cells and indefinite survival of fully allogeneic cardiac grafts by ursodeoxycholic acid in miceQi Zhang
Department of Surgery, Teikyo University, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, Japan
Transplantation 88:1360-70. 2009b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) has been used to treat patients with cholestatic and autoimmune liver diseases...
- Mycophenolate mofetil for the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis in patients with an incomplete response to ursodeoxycholic acidGerhard Treiber
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:837-8; author reply 838. 2005
- Enhanced hepatic Nrf2 activation after ursodeoxycholic acid treatment in patients with primary biliary cirrhosisKazuhito Kawata
Department of Internal Medicine, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Shizuoka, Japan
Antioxid Redox Signal 13:259-68. 2010The cytoprotective mechanisms of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) have not been fully clarified. UDCA has some antioxidant properties...
- Effect of ursodeoxycholic acid on inflammatory infiltrate in gallbladder muscle of cholesterol gallstone patientsS Carotti
Department of Biomedical Research CIR, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:866-73, e232. 2010..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) restores GB contractility and antagonises liver macrophage activation...
- URSODIOL-METHOTREXATE FOR PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISBurton Combes; Fiscal Year: 2003..trial is to determine whether treatment of patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC) with Ursodiol (Ursodeoxycholic Acid-UDCA) plus methotrexate (MTX) is more effective than treatment with UDCA alone...
- DYSREGULATION OF GSH SYNTHESIS DURING LIVER INJURY AND FIBROSISSHELLY CHI LOO LU; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hepatoprotective agents such as ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) prevented the fall in GCL subunits mRNA levels in hepatocytes (UDCA ..
- Ursodeoxycholic Acid Therapy in Pediatric Primary Sclerosing CholangitisA pilotBenjamin L Shneider; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) improves biochemical markers of liver disease, although in high doses does not clearly improve the ..
- Genomics of Primary Biliary CirrhosisKonstantinos N Lazaridis; Fiscal Year: 2013..mainly women, diminishes quality of life, and often leads to liver transplantation despite therapy with ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA). Some 30% of patients do not respond robustly to UDCA therapy (i.e...
- Clinical Studies on Bile Acids in Barrett's EsophagusStuart Jon Spechler; Fiscal Year: 2012..In addition, we have preliminary data showing that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a hydrophilic bile acid, does not induce genotoxic damage in Barrett's cells, and even ..
- Basic and Clinical Studies on the Role of Bile Acids in Barrett's EsophagusStuart Jon Spechler; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also have preliminary data showing that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a hydrophilic bile acid, does not induce genotoxic damage in Barrett's cells in vitro or in ..
- Mechanisms of colon cancer chemoprevention by ursodeoxycholic acidJesse D Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The hypothesis that will be tested suggests that ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) functions as a chemopreventive agent through the suppression of receptor-initiated mitogenic signaling by promoting ..
- HEPATIC STEATOSIS AND ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM STRESS IN LIVER ALLOGRAFT INJURYCHRISTOPHER DANIEL ANDERSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..this project will test our overarching hypothesis by using a global ER stress inhibitor, taurine-conjugated ursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA), and by also using specific inhibition of the ER stress cell death mediator, CHOP...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF THE GALLBLADDERGary M Mawe; Fiscal Year: 2010..GBSM function in mice fed a lithogenic diet while being treated with the protective hydrophilic bile salt, ursodeoxycholic acid, or a cyclooxygenase inhobitor...
- Interaction Between Genes and the Mitochondria in ParkinBenjamin L Wolozin; Fiscal Year: 2010..we have identified compounds, D-beta-hydroxybutyrate (a mitochondrial complex II stimulant), tauro-ursodeoxycholic acid (an anti-apoptotic bile acid) and probucol (a potent anti-oxidant), that each partially inhibit rotenone ..
- FXR signaling pathway is a valid target for chemoprevention in colorectal cancerJeffrey W Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..Paradoxically, ursodeoxycholic acid, a bile acid that is not natural to humans but which is derived from the bear, has actually shown ..
- Colon Cancer Chemoprevention and COX-2 Suppression by Ursodeoxycholic AcidSharad Khare; Fiscal Year: 2013..A large, phase III, double blind, placebo-controlled trial of Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) to prevent the recurrence of colorectal adenoma was associated with a statistically significant ..
- The Childhood Liver Disease Research and Education Network (ChilDREN)SAUL JOSEPH KARPEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nor-ursodeoxycholic acid (Nor-UDCA), a side chain modification of UDCA, is currently undergoing Phase 1 trials in Europe for ..
- Colon Cancer ChemopreventionSharad Khare; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We have previously demonstrated that supplemental dietary Ursodeoxycholic Acid (UDCA) inhibited the development of azoxymethane-induced rat colonic tumors...
- Colon Cancer Prevention Program Project GrantM Lance; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., our Program Project's wheat bran fiber, ursodeoxycholic acid, and celecoxib/selenium trials and the NCI polyp prevention trial), as well as blood samples from over 2000 ..
- PRODUCTION OF URSODIOL FROM TURKEY BILETibor Sipos; Fiscal Year: 1991The overall goal of this project is to commercially produce ursodeoxycholic acid (ursodiol) from waste products (turkey bile) of the poultry industry by either a one-step microbial transformation process or by a chemical epimerization of ..
- PILOT STUDY OF PIRFENIDONE IN PBC AND PSCKeith Lindor; Fiscal Year: 1999..No specific therapy has been proven to be totally effective in these diseases. Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) is the most promising drug for patients with PBC but some patients still develop complications of ..
- Preclinical Trials of NFkappaB Inhibition in the Treatment of Muscular DystrophyC Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2009..The purpose of these proposed studies is to determine the clinical utility of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) which preliminary studies show inhibits the NFkB pathway and improves whole body tension (WBT) ..
- Molecular profiles of colorectal adenomas by array CGHGalen Hostetter; Fiscal Year: 2009..Population: Two large phase III clinical trials assessing diet (Wheat Bran Fiber) and chemoprevention (Ursodeoxycholic Acid) effects on adenoma recurrence with over 2800 patients accrued and recurrence rates of 40 to 50% at 3-year ..
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Cystic Fibrosis Liver DiseaseMartin Carey; Fiscal Year: 2007..The etiology, mechanisms and pathogenesis of CF liver disease are unknown, and currently ursodeoxycholic acid is prescribed without compelling evidence of its efficacy...
- GALLSTONE FORMATION & PREVENTION DURING WEIGHT REDUCTIONJAY MARKS; Fiscal Year: 1991..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA, 1200 mg/d) reduces saturation, blocks increases in glycoprotein, and prevents gallstones...
- Combinational Chemoprevention of Esophageal Adenocarcin*Navtej Buttar; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Ursodeoxycholic acid (Urso) is another potential chemopreventive agent, which is a tertiary bile salt with an established safety ..
- URSODEOXYCHOLATE-METHOTREXATE FOR BILIARY CIRRHOSISBurton Combes; Fiscal Year: 1992This application is for a planning grant to enable us to optimize the design of a clinical trial of ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) and methotrexate (MTX) in the treatment of patients with Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)...
- Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by Ursodeoxycholic AcidSharad Khare; Fiscal Year: 2003..My long-term research objectives are to elucidate the mechanisms by which ursodeoxycholic acid exerts anticarcinogenic effects with respect to colon cancer...
- THE METABOLISM OF URSODEOXYCHOLIC ACID IN MANGerald Salen; Fiscal Year: 1991The goal of this investigation is to explore the metabolism of ursodeoxycholic acid and related bile acids in animals...
- A Variant of Ileal Bile Acid Binding Protein in Colon CancerJeffrey Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..study are to: 1) Express a recombinant form of IBABP-L and determine if it binds to bile acids, including ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA), a non-natural bile acid with chemopreventative properties, and 2) Raise antibodies that distinguish ..
- Regulation of Bile Ductular ProliferationJONATHAN DRANOFF; Fiscal Year: 2009..At present, the only treatment for cholangiopathies, ursodeoxycholic acid, is effective only at improving biochemical markers and delaying liver transplant in patients...
- MECHANISMS OF CHOLESTEROL GALLSTONE DISSOLUTIONWilliam Higuchi; Fiscal Year: 1991..formation/dispersion and micellar cholesterol solubilization are both believed to be important during ursodeoxycholic acid therapy and in the combination ursodeoxycholic acid/chenodeoxycholic acid therapy, and the relative ..
- MECHANISMS OF BILE SECRETION AND CHOLESTASISJames Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..organic cation transporters (Octs) and Mrp4 in liver, kidney and intestine and the ameliorating effects of ursodeoxycholic acid. By understanding the mechanisms of these adaptive changes, ways may be found to diminish cholestatic liver ..
- DEFECTIVE BILE ACID SYNTHESIS IN CHILDHOOD CONSTIPATIONALAN HOFMANN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results of this study should lead to clinical trials that test the efficacy of oral primary bile acids for constipation caused by defective bile acid biosynthesis. ..
- 1Treatment of Cholestatic Pruritus With SertralineMARLYN MAYO; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will serve as pilot trials. The results of this proposed project will be used to design a larger controlled trial that could be proposed for funding through an R01 mechanism. ..
- Promotion of PDT Induced phototoxicity by bile acidsDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 2003..Several recent reports have indicated that the bile acid ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) could protect the mitochondrial membrane of hepatoma cells from the pro-apoptotic effects of several ..
- FOUR-CORNERS BREAST AND ENDOMETRIAL CANCER STUDYMaria Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2003..C-peptide, glycosylated hemoglobin, IGF-1, and IGFBP3 will be evaluated with respect to breast and endometrial cancer in a subset of women. ..
- DIETARY HETEROCYCLIC AMINES, GENETIC SUSCEPTIBILITY, ANDMaria Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will be conducted in the on-going phase III trial of ursodeoxycholic acid on adenoma recurrence...
- Conference on Photodynamic TherapyDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 2002..The most recent PDT meeting, sponsored by the International Photodynamic Assn, has more than 600 participants. ..
- Advanced Colorectal Neoplasia Following PolypectomyMaria Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2006..Given that data were collected through the conduct of the studies, this results in a cost-effective and highly efficient approach for assessing this important research area. ..
- Longitudinal Studies of Primary Biliary CirrhosisMARLYN MAYO; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, the correlation between each of the putative surrogate markers will be analyzed. The results of this analysis will then be used to design future clinical trials in the field of PBC. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ROLE OF CD40-CD40 LIGAND IN PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISMARLYN MAYO; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will provide insight into the role of T cells in the pathogenesis of PBC and provide information useful in developing new treatment modalities. ..
- TFF3 GENE EXPRESSION IN METASTATIC COLON CANCERSteven Itzkowitz; Fiscal Year: 2001..The use of the TFF3 gene to drive expression of suicide genes offers a novel approach which should result in more targetted, safer gene therapy for metastatic colon cancer. ..
- PROSPECTIVE COMPARISON OF COLONIC IMAGING TESTDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2001..The information gained from this study is expected to form the basis for national policy and decision making with reward to colonic imaging tests. ..
- Nitric Oxide and the LiverDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2003..The dates of the entire AASLD scientific meeting are November 3rd to November 5th. The participants will be invited speakers and attendees of the annual 2002 AASLD meeting. ..
- Trefoil Factors in GI Cancer BiologySteven H Itzkowitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies could provide insights into novel treatment strategies for gastrointestinal malignancies. ..
- Oxidative mutagenesis:Iron, Ascorbic Acid and GenesChristopher Bowlus; Fiscal Year: 2002..They will use a mouse model of HH that is prone to hepatocellular formation. ..
- Colorectal Screening Capacity Building ConferenceDavid Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..Continued capacity building and future collaboration will also be woven into this conference to serve as a stone to build upon in the future. ..
- Laser Scanning Confocal Microscope Research/EducationMichael Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- LIVER RESPONSE TO LPS--ROLE OF LBP AND CD14Grace Su; Fiscal Year: 2003..II. Determine the mechanism by which LBP and CD14 accelerate ingestion of Gram-negative bacteria. III. Determine the mechanisms by which LBP/CD14 mediated KC activation promote bacterial killing. ..
- MYOGENIC DISORDERS OF THE GALLBLADDERJose Behar; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these studies may provide evidence and a rationale in support for using hydrophobic bile acids in the prophylactic treatment of this complication. ..
- Rare Liver Disease NetworkRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2005..The RLDN will be a full partner in the Rare Diseases Clinical Research Network and will participate collaboratively with the other Clinical Research Centers and the Data and Technology Coordinating Center. ..
- Genetic analysis of p53 activationJesse Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Fiber and Colorectal Adenomas: A Pooling ProjectElizabeth Jacobs; Fiscal Year: 2005..If it is found that certain groups may receive greater benefit from fiber, then public health recommendations can be made which target these groups and prevent the recurrence of colorectal adenomas. ..
- OXIDANT HEPATIC INJURY IN CHOLESTASISRonald Sokol; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- HCV-HIV Coinfection: Impact of Immune DysfunctionRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2007..The K-23 award will protect this candidates time and help him mature into a senior investigator in Hepatology. ..
- Chemopreventive Actions of Equol EnantiomersKenneth Setchell; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies are relevant to humans given the ammended health claim for soy and cancer risk-reduction currently being reviewed by the FDA. ..
- Regulation of Stellate Cell ContractilityDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2008..Physiologic endpoints will be an important focus. The proposed studies will shed light on the molecular basis of stellate cell contractility and moreover have direct relevance to human liver disease. ..
- Role of Progesterone in Colonic Muscle DysfunctionJose Behar; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- The Role of p53 and 14-3-3 in Genomic InstabilityJesse Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Relationship of metabolic abnormalities to hepatic steatosis in HIVRichard Sterling; Fiscal Year: 2008..If our hypothesis is correct, this work could result in a dramatic change in the long-term care of the over 1 million HIV infected individuals in the US. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Epidemiology of Primary Biliary CirrhosisKonstantinos Lazaridis; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Soy Isoflavone Metabolite Equol--Formation and FateKenneth Setchell; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Dissecting the Aggregation of AMA in Families of PBC PatientsKonstantinos Lazaridis; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, our effort will shed light toward better understanding of the genetic predisposition to PBC. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATHOGENESIS OF HEPATIC FIBROSIS AND PORTAL HYPERTENSIONDon C Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies have direct relevance to human liver disease and will lead to new approaches for the treatment of hepatic fibrosis and portal hypertension as well as other forms of fibrosing injury. ..