Genomes and Genes
Summary: A delta-4 C19 steroid that is produced not only in the TESTIS, but also in the OVARY and the ADRENAL CORTEX. Depending on the tissue type, androstenedione can serve as a precursor to TESTOSTERONE as well as ESTRONE and ESTRADIOL.
Publications317 found, 100 shown here
- Increased serum androstenedione in adults with autism spectrum conditionsLiliana Ruta
Autism Research Centre, Department of Psychiatry, Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
Psychoneuroendocrinology 36:1154-63. 2011..of gonadal and adrenal sex-steroids (particularly testosterone, estradiol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and androstenedione) are elevated in individuals with ASC. This was tested in a total sample of n=166 participants...
- The effects of storage time and sampling season on the stability of serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D and androstenedioneCalypse Agborsangaya
University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Nutr Cancer 62:51-7. 2010..of sample storage time and season of serum sampling on the stability of 25-hydroxy vitamin D (25-OHD) and androstenedione in a stratified random sample of 402 women, using paired sera from the Finnish Maternity Cohort...
- Reference intervals for testosterone, androstenedione and SHBG levels in healthy females and males from birth until old ageMartin W Elmlinger
Pediatric Endocrinology, Children s Hospital, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Clin Lab 51:625-32. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the age dependence of the serum concentrations of testosterone, androstenedione, and SHBG from birth until old age using the IMMULITE 2000 automated assay system (DPC, Los Angeles)...
- Endometrial and myometrial secretion of androgens and estrone during early pregnancy and luteolysis in pigsAnita Franczak
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Oczapowski 1A, 10 718 Olsztyn, Poland
Reprod Biol 8:213-28. 2008..The aim of the present study was to determine whether porcine endometrium and myometrium secrete androgens - androstenedione (A(4)), testosterone (T) and estrone (E(1)) during early pregnancy and luteolysis (Days 14-16) in pigs...
- Age-specific reference ranges for serum testosterone and androstenedione concentrations in women measured by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryRobin Haring
Institute of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, University of Greifswald, Ferdinand Sauerbruch Strasse, D 17475 Greifswald, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 97:408-15. 2012..Therefore, we aimed to establish age-specific reference ranges for serum sex hormone concentrations in women using mass spectrometry and quantile regression...
- Habituation to humans affects yolk steroid levels and offspring phenotype in quailAline Bertin
Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle, University of Vienna, A 4645 Grünau, Austria
Horm Behav 54:396-402. 2008..NH females produced eggs with less androgens (testosterone and androstenedione) and more immunoreactive progesterone compared to birds habituated to humans...
- Primary antisera against selected steroids or proteins and secondary antisera against gamma-globulins--an available tool for studies of reproductive processesBozena Szafranska
Department of Animal Physiology, University of Warmia and Mazury, Olsztyn, Poland
Reprod Biol 2:187-204. 2002..The antisera against steroid hormones and pLH are available on request...
- Androgen generation in adipose tissue in women with simple obesity--a site-specific role for 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 5Marcus Quinkler
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham B15 2TH, United Kingdom
J Endocrinol 183:331-42. 2004..2 kg/m(2)). Enzymatic activity assays in preadipocyte proliferation cultures revealed effcient conversion of androstenedione to testosterone in both subcutaneous and omental fat...
- Androgens and estradiol-17beta production by porcine uterine cells: In vitro studyA Franczak
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, Olsztyn Kortowo, Poland
Theriogenology 73:232-41. 2010..The aim of the present study was to determine (1) which porcine separated uterine cells secrete androgens: androstenedione (A(4)) and testosterone (T), and estradiol-17beta (E(2)) in culture; (2) if the production of A(4), T and E(2)..
- Influence of spironolactone treatment on endothelial function in non-obese women with polycystic ovary syndromeKatica Bajuk Studen
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, University Medical Center, Zaloska 7, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Eur J Endocrinol 164:389-95. 2011....
- Luteinizing hormone (LH) regulates production of androstenedione and progesterone via control of histone acetylation of StAR and CYP17 promoters in ovarian theca cellsChiaki Murayama
Graduate School of Animal and Food Hygiene, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Inada machi, Obihiro, Hokkaido 080 8555, Japan
Mol Cell Endocrinol 350:1-9. 2012Although luteinizing hormone (LH) affects androstenedione (A4) and progesterone (P4) production in theca cells, it is still unknown how LH influences molecular mechanism of A4 and P4 production...
- The activity and localization of 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Δ(5)-Δ(4) isomerase and release of androstenedione and progesterone by uterine tissues during early pregnancy and the estrous cycle in pigsBartosz Wojciechowicz
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, 10 719 Olsztyn, Poland
J Reprod Dev 59:49-58. 2013..active 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/Δ(5)-Δ(4) isomerase (3β-HSD) responsible for progesterone and androstenedione production, that uterine steroids may supplement the amount of steroid hormones produced by embryos and ..
- High prevalence of testicular adrenal rest tumors, impaired spermatogenesis, and Leydig cell failure in adolescent and adult males with congenital adrenal hyperplasiaN M Stikkelbroeck
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5721-8. 2001..In 6 patients, the testicular tumors were palpable. Undertreatment, defined as the presence of a salivary androstenedione level (mean of 6 saliva samples collected over 24 h with intervals of 4 h) above the upper reference morning ..
- Endogenous sex hormones and breast cancer in postmenopausal women: reanalysis of nine prospective studiesT Key
Cancer Research U K Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:606-16. 2002..We reanalyzed the worldwide data from prospective studies to examine the relationship between the levels of endogenous sex hormones and breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women...
- Oligoanovulation with polycystic ovaries but not overt hyperandrogenismDidier Dewailly
Department of Endocrine Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine, Hopital Jeanne de Flandre, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire, 59037 Lille, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3922-7. 2006..However, the latter phenotype is controversial, and it is not known to what extent it shares similarities with the others...
- Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay for androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone, and testosterone with pediatric and adult reference intervalsMark M Kushnir
ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Clin Chem 56:1138-47. 2010..We developed a liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) assay for simultaneous measurement of androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and testosterone in these patients.
- Identification of androstenedione in a river containing paper mill effluentR Jenkins
Biology Department, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama 35229, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 20:1325-31. 2001..Of these, androstenedione was confirmed by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry with multiple reaction monitoring.
- Evaluation of androstenedione as an androgenic component of river water downstream of a pulp and paper mill effluentEth J Durhan
US Environmental Protection Agency, National Health and Environmental Effects Laboratory, Duluth, Minnesota 55804, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1973-6. 2002This study evaluates a recent report indicating that androstenedione (4-androsten-3, 17-dione) contributes to the androgenicity of water downstream of a pulp and paper mill discharge on the Fenholloway River (FL, USA)...
- Androstenedione production by biotransformation of phytosterolsAlok Malaviya
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Bioresour Technol 99:6725-37. 2008b>Androstenedione is a key intermediate of microbial steroid metabolism. It belongs to the 17-keto steroid family and is used as starting material for the preparation of different steroids...
- Androstenedione up-regulation of endometrial aromatase expression via local conversion to estrogen: potential relevance to the pathogenesis of endometriosisOrhan Bukulmez
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1600 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0294, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3471-7. 2008..The factors that mediate induction of aromatase in the endometrium are not well defined, but increased expression of steroidogenic factor (SF)-1 may play a role...
- Obesity and polycystic ovary syndrome: association with androgens, leptin and its genotypesMadhavi Pusalkar
Department of Molecular Endocrinology, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health ICMR, Parel, Mumbai, India
Gynecol Endocrinol 26:874-82. 2010..With regard to testosterone and androstenedione, the levels were increased in obese individuals irrespective of PCOS status...
- Glucocorticoid influence on porcine granulosa cell IGF-I and steroid hormone production in vitroM M Viveiros
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Canada
Theriogenology 51:1027-43. 1999..During culture all cells were supplemented with FSH and androstenedione (A4)...
- Interactions between follicle-stimulating hormone and growth factors in modulating secretion of steroids and inhibin-related peptides by nonluteinized bovine granulosa cellsC Glister
School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, The University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AJ, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 65:1020-8. 2001..Cells from 4- to 6-mm follicles were cultured in serum-free medium containing insulin (10 ng/ml) and androstenedione (10(-7) M), and effects of ovine FSH (0...
- Modulatory effects of indomethacin on androgen metabolism in human gingival and oral periosteal fibroblastsA Tilakaratne
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Steroids 66:857-63. 2001..cell types (5(th)-9(th) passage) were established in Eagle's MEM and incubated with 14C-testosterone/14C-4-androstenedione and serial concentrations of I (0.5-50 microg/ml) for 24 h...
- In vitro permeation studies comparing bovine nasal mucosa, porcine cornea and artificial membrane: androstenedione in microemulsions and their componentsTelse Richter
Mathematisch Naturwissenschaftliche Fakultät I, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 58:137-43. 2004..In this study, in vitro permeability of androstenedione (AD) as a highly lipophilic substance was investigated in excised bovine nasal mucosa, porcine cornea and the ..
- Obesity differentially affects serum levels of androstenedione and testosterone in polycystic ovary syndromeCarlos Moran
Health Research Council, Mexican Institute of Social Security, Mexico City, Mexico
Fertil Steril 90:2310-7. 2008To assess androstenedione (A) and T levels in obese and nonobese patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) after GnRH and oral glucose tolerance tests (OGTT).
- Inhibitory effect of valproic acid on ovarian androgen biosynthesis in rat theca-interstitial cellsSenait Fisseha
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Endocrine 37:187-93. 2010..Treatment of T-I cells with 8-Bromo-cAMP resulted in a marked increase in the production of androstenedione, and VPA inhibited this stimulatory effect, suggesting that the mechanism of VPA's inhibitory effect on ..
- Androgen conversion in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis synoviocytes--androstenedione and testosterone inhibit estrogen formation and favor production of more potent 5alpha-reduced androgensMartin Schmidt
Institute of Biochemistry II, Hospital of the Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Arthritis Res Ther 7:R938-48. 2005..Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) was converted into androstenediol, androstenedione (ASD), 16alphaOH-DHEA, 7alphaOH-DHEA, testosterone, estrone (E1), estradiol (E2), estriol (E3), and 16alphaOH-..
- Postmenopausal breast cancer risk in relation to sex steroid hormones, prolactin and SHBG (Sweden)Jonas Manjer
Department of Community Medicine, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
Cancer Causes Control 14:599-607. 2003..The present study investigates whether high levels of sex steroid hormones and prolactin, and/or low levels of SHBG, are associated with high breast cancer risk...
- Opposing influences of prenatal and postnatal weight gain on adrenarche in normal boys and girlsKen K Ong
Department of Pediatrics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2647-51. 2004..7 to -0.2; in girls: B = -3.8 microg/dl/SD; 95% CI, -6.2 to -1.4; androstenedione in boys: B = -0.15 nmol/liter/sd, 95% CI, -0.25 to -0.6; in girls: B = -0.13 nmol/liter/SD; 95% CI, -0...
- Reduced intrafollicular androstenedione and estradiol levels in early-treated prenatally androgenized female rhesus monkeys receiving follicle-stimulating hormone therapy for in vitro fertilizationDaniel A Dumesic
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Biol Reprod 69:1213-9. 2003..Serum FSH, LH, estradiol (E2), progesterone (P), 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (17 OHP), androstenedione (A4), testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone were measured basally during rhFSH therapy and at oocyte ..
- Measurement of androgens in womenFrank Z Stanczyk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Semin Reprod Med 24:78-85. 2006..Androgens also can be measured in saliva, but major methodologic problems are associated with the measurements. In addition, there is a misconception that salivary testosterone levels reflect free testosterone levels in serum...
- Androstenedione and androst-5-ene-3 beta,17 beta-diol stimulate DMBA-induced rat mammary tumors--role of aromataseS Dauvois
MRC Group in Molecular Endocrinology, Laval University Medical Center, Quebec, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 13:61-9. 1989The effect of the adrenal steroids androst-5-ene-3 beta,17 beta-diol (delta 5-diol) and androstenedione (delta 4-dione) was studied on the growth of mammary carcinoma induced in the rat by dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)...
- Androstenedione interferes in luteal regression by inhibiting apoptosis and stimulating progesterone productionAlicia A Goyeneche
Laboratory of Reproduction and Lactation, CONICET, 5500 Mendoza, Argentina
Biol Reprod 66:1540-7. 2002..Moreover, we have established that androstenedione, the main circulating androgen in pregnant rats, significantly reduces the decline in luteal weight observed ..
- Valproate potentiates androgen biosynthesis in human ovarian theca cellsVelen L Nelson-Degrave
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State Hershey College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, C4723, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Endocrinology 145:799-808. 2004..30-3000 microm), we observed an increase in basal and forskolin-stimulated dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), androstenedione, and 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone production compared with control values...
- Luteinizing hormone-induced extracellular-signal regulated kinase activation differently modulates progesterone and androstenedione production in bovine theca cellsKimihisa Tajima
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Fukui, Matsuoka, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
Endocrinology 146:2903-10. 2005..Furthermore, modulation of ERK phosphorylation involves control of thecal steroidogenesis via modulation of the expression of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein and P450c17...
- Social instability in laying quail: consequences on yolk steroids and offspring's phenotypeFloriane Guibert
UMR 6552 Ethologie Animale et Humaine, CNRS Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
PLoS ONE 5:e14069. 2010....
- Pituitary-ovarian responses to nafarelin testing in the polycystic ovary syndromeR B Barnes
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, IL
N Engl J Med 320:559-65. 1989..to gonadotropin stimulation with normal to increased production of plasma estrogens and increased levels of androstenedione at 16 to 24 hours (P less than 0.05)...
- Effect of oral androstenedione on serum testosterone and adaptations to resistance training in young men: a randomized controlled trialD S King
Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
JAMA 281:2020-8. 1999b>Androstenedione, a precursor to testosterone, is marketed to increase blood testosterone concentrations as a natural alternative to anabolic steroid use...
- Localization of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/17-ketosteroid reductase isoform expression in the developing mouse testis--androstenedione is the major androgen secreted by fetal/neonatal leydig cellsP J O'Shaughnessy
Department of Veterinary Preclinical Studies, University of Glasgow Veterinary School, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 141:2631-7. 2000The final step in the biosynthesis of testosterone is reduction of androstenedione by the enzyme 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/ 17-ketosteroid reductase (17betaHSD/17KSR)...
- The Andro Project: physiological and hormonal influences of androstenedione supplementation in men 35 to 65 years old participating in a high-intensity resistance training programC E Broeder
The Human Performance Lab, East Tennessee State University, Box 70654, Johnson City, TN 37614 0654, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:3093-104. 2000..Androstenediol and androstenedione are such products...
- Effects of androstenedione, insulin and luteinizing hormone on steroidogenesis in human granulosa luteal cellsS Greisen
Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Aarhus University Hospital, Norrebrogade 44, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Hum Reprod 16:2061-5. 2001The present study was conducted to investigate the effect of androstenedione, insulin and LH on human granulosa cell oestrogen and progesterone production...
- Four weeks of androstenedione supplementation diminishes the treatment response in middle aged menS G Beckham
University of Texas at Arlington, 76019, USA
Br J Sports Med 37:212-8. 2003To examine baseline hormonal concentrations and the pharmacokinetic response on day 0 and day 28 of 28 days of androstenedione supplementation.
- Association of the T45G polymorphism in exon 2 of the adiponectin gene with polycystic ovary syndrome: role of Delta4-androstenedioneDimitrios Panidis
Division of Endocrinology and Human Reproduction, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Hum Reprod 19:1728-33. 2004..The objective of this study was to examine the role of the adiponectin gene T45G polymorphism, located in exon 2, in PCOS, since this polymorphism has been shown to be associated with obesity and insulin resistance...
- Partial agonist/antagonist properties of androstenedione and 4-androsten-3beta,17beta-diolF Chen
Department of Molecular Endocrinology, Merck Research Laboratory, WP26A 1000, Sumneytown Pike, West Point, PA 19486, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 91:247-57. 2004..Here, we characterize activities of two "Andro" prohormones, androstenedione (A-dione) and 4-androsten-3beta,17beta-diol (A-diol) in MDA-MB-453 (MDA) and LNCaP cells...
- Simultaneous determination of androstenedione and testosterone in human serum by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryL M Gallagher
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, South Manchester University Hospitals NHS Trust, Manchester M23 9LT, UK
Ann Clin Biochem 44:48-56. 2007We aimed to develop a sensitive assay to quantitate serum concentrations of both androstenedione and testosterone within the female range simultaneously, using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) for use in the ..
- Testosterone, androstenedione, and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone on male sexual behavior and penile spines in the hamsterM Arteaga-Silva
Departamento de Biologia de la Reproduccion, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana, Iztapalapa, P O Box 55535, México 09340 D F, Mexico
Physiol Behav 94:412-21. 2008..of masculine sexual behavior (MSB) in male hamsters is optimally stimulated by aromatizable androgens like androstenedione (AD) and testosterone (T), while the non-aromatizable androgen, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT), exerting ..
- 5 alpha-reductase activity in epithelium and stroma of prostates from intact and castrated dogs treated with androstenedione, the aromatase inhibitor 1-methyl-1,4-androstadiene-3,17-dione, and cyproterone acetateS Tunn
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, University Clinic Bergmannsheil Bochum, Federal Republic of Germany
Prostate 12:243-53. 1988..of prostates from intact dogs (group 0) and castrated dogs (group I), the latter of which were treated with androstenedione (group II), androstenedione plus the aromatase inhibitor 1-methyl-1,4-androstadiene-3,17-dione (group III), ..
- Serum dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and DHEA sulfate are negatively correlated with serum interleukin-6 (IL-6), and DHEA inhibits IL-6 secretion from mononuclear cells in man in vitro: possible link between endocrinosenescence and immunosenescenceR H Straub
Department of Internal Medicine I, University Medical Center, Regensburg, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2012-7. 1998..In humans, we investigated the correlation of serum levels of DHEA, DHEA sulfate (DHEAS), or androstenedione (ASD) and IL-6, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, or IL-2 with age in 120 female and male healthy subjects (15-75 ..
- Local increase of ovarian steroid hormone concentration in blood supplying the oviduct and uterus during early pregnancy of sowsS Stefanczyk-Krzymowska
Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research, Polish Academy of Sciences, Olsztyn, Poland
Theriogenology 50:1071-80. 1998..The concentration of ovarian steroid hormones (progesterone, estradiol-17 beta, estrone, androstenedione and testosterone) was measured in 40 gilts on Days 12, 18, 25 or 35 of pregnancy...
- Testosterone, androstenedione and dihydrotestosterone concentrations are elevated in female patients with major depressionB Weber
Central Institute of Mental Health, PO Box 122120, 68072, Mannheim, Germany
Psychoneuroendocrinology 25:765-71. 2000..In women for whom androgenicity is associated with cardiovascular disorders the dominant source of androstenedione and testosterone secretion are the adrenal glands...
- Maternal steroids and contaminants in common tern eggs: a mechanism of endocrine disruption?J B French
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD 20708, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 128:91-8. 2001..contaminants and steroid hormones (17beta-estradiol, 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and androstenedione)...
- Dehydroepiandrosterone stimulates proliferation and gene expression in MCF-7 cells after conversion to estradiolM Schmitt
Research Group 'Hormones and Signal Transduction, Division of Signal Transduction and Growth Control, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cell Endocrinol 173:1-13. 2001..An androgenic effect of DHEA on proliferation and gene expression of MCF-7 cells was not observed. We conclude that conversion of DHEA to estrogens, particularly estradiol, is required to exert a mitogenic response...
- The effects of human mast-cell products and of phenytoin on androgen 5alpha-reductase expression in human gingival fibroblastsM Soory
Division of Periodontology, Guy s King s and St Thomas Dental Institute, King s Campus, Caldecot Road, SE5 9RW, London, UK
Arch Oral Biol 46:847-55. 2001..and 5 microgram/ml), alone and in combination, using two androgen substrates, [14C] testosterone and [14C] 4-androstenedione. At the end of a 24-h incubation the medium was solvent-extracted for steroid metabolites, analysed and ..
- Effects of androstenedione-herbal supplementation on serum sex hormone concentrations in 30- to 59-year-old menG A Brown
Exercise Biochemistry Laboratory, Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 71:293-301. 2001..Subjects were randomly assigned to consume DION (300 mg androstenedione, 150 mg dehydroepiandrosterone, 540 mg saw palmetto, 300 mg indole-3-carbinol, 625 mg chrysin, and 750 mg ..
- Serum bisphenol a concentrations showed gender differences, possibly linked to androgen levelsToru Takeuchi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8655, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 291:76-8. 2002..These findings showed that there are gender differences in serum BPA concentrations, possibly due to differences in the androgen-related metabolism of BPA...
- Androgen production in womenHenry G Burger
Prince Henry s Institute of Medical Research, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Fertil Steril 77:S3-5. 2002..To describe the sources, production rates, circulating concentrations, and regulatory mechanisms of the major androgen precursors and androgens in women...
- The estrogen receptor alpha gene determines serum androstenedione levels in postmenopausal womenI Zofkova
Institute of Endocrinology, Narodni 8, 116 94 1, Prague, Czech Republic
Steroids 67:815-9. 2002..between the estrogen receptor (ER) alpha gene polymorphisms XbaI and PvuII and circulating levels of androstenedione, a precursor of sex-steroids synthetized in the ovary and adrenal...
- A comparison between the effects of low dose (1 microg) and standard dose (250 microg) ACTH stimulation tests on adrenal P450c17alpha enzyme activity in women with polycystic ovary syndromeRamiz Colak
Department of Endocrinology, Erciyes University Medical School, Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Endocrinol 147:473-7. 2002..However, the role and the mechanisms responsible for the adrenal androgen excess in women with PCOS are not well understood...
- Progesterone promotes survival of the rat corpus luteum in the absence of cognate receptorsAlicia A Goyeneche
Institute of Medicine and Experimental Biology of Cuyo, LARLAC CONICET, 5500 Mendoza, Argentina
Biol Reprod 68:151-8. 2003..with a decrease in the number of cells undergoing apoptosis and with enhanced circulating levels of androstenedione. Furthermore, in vivo administration of progesterone delayed the occurrence of DNA fragmentation in ..
- The influence of famous athletes on health beliefs and practices: Mark McGwire, child abuse prevention, and AndrostenedioneWilliam J Brown
Professor and Research Fellow, College of Communication and The Arts, Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA 23464, USA
J Health Commun 8:41-57. 2003..focused on McGwire made the general public aware of his use of a muscle-building dietary supplement, Androstenedione. It also increased the public's awareness of McGwire's public service to prevent child abuse...
- Distribution and origin of steroid hormones in the yolk of Japanese quail eggs (Coturnix coturnix japonica)R Hackl
Institute for Biochemistry, University of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinarplatz 1, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
J Comp Physiol B 173:327-31. 2003..yolk layers were analysed after alcoholic extraction using enzyme immunoassays (EIAs) for progesterone, androstenedione and testosterone...
- Androstenedione and progesterone in the sediment of a river receiving paper mill effluentRonald L Jenkins
Department of Biology, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama 35229, USA
Toxicol Sci 73:53-9. 2003..A previous study identified the androgen precursor androstenedione at a low concentration (0.14 nM) in water samples from the river...
- Modulation of androgen metabolism by phenytoin, oestradiol and tamoxifen in human gingival fibroblastsM Soory
Department of Periodontology, GKT, King s Dental Hospital, London, UK
J Clin Periodontol 30:556-61. 2003....
- Maternal androgens in egg yolks: relation with sex, incubation time and embryonic growthCorine M Eising
Department of Animal Behaviour, University of Groningen, P O Box 14, 9750 AA Haren, The Netherlands
Gen Comp Endocrinol 132:241-7. 2003..Male eggs did not contain higher levels of testosterone or androstenedione than female eggs, in contrast to the data reported for another galliform species, the peacock...
- The modulatory role of transforming growth factor beta1 and androstenedione on follicle-stimulating hormone-induced gelatinase secretion and steroidogenesis in rat granulosa cellsFerng Chun Ke
Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Biol Reprod 70:1292-8. 2004..the interactive effects of FSH and local ovarian factors, transforming growth factor beta1 (TGFbeta1) and androstenedione, on gelatinase secretion and progesterone production in rat ovarian granulosa cells...
- Female canaries produce eggs with greater amounts of testosterone when exposed to preferred male songDiego Gil
Laboratoire d Ethologie et Cognition Comparées, Universite Paris X Nanterre, 92000 Nanterre, France
Horm Behav 45:64-70. 2004..This implies that song repertoires convey important information about the reproductive value of a given male and suggests that testosterone deposition in egg yolk may be costly...
- The relationship between plasma levels of leptin and androgen in healthy and preeclamptic pregnant womenYildiz Atamer
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Dicle University, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 83:425-30. 2004..To clarify the role of leptin and androgens in the pathogenesis of preeclampsia, we wanted to assess role of maternal leptin in women with severe and mild preeclampsia and the effects of sex steroid hormones on leptin production...
- Androstenedione increases cytochrome P450 aromatase messenger ribonucleic acid transcripts in nonluteinizing bovine granulosa cellsMelanie Hamel
Centre de Recherche en Reproduction Animale, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, St Hyacinthe, Quebec J2S 7C6, Canada
Mol Reprod Dev 70:175-83. 2005..Increasing androstenedione concentrations from 0...
- Endogenous estrogen, androgen, and progesterone concentrations and breast cancer risk among postmenopausal womenStacey A Missmer
Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 181 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:1856-65. 2004..Nor has the relation between breast cancer risk and postmenopausal progesterone levels been investigated. We prospectively investigated these relations in a case-control study nested within the Nurses' Health Study...
- Physiological changes of adrenal androgens in childhoodYi Ching Tung
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 103:921-4. 2004To investigate the change in serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) and androstenedione concentrations during childhood and to clarify the relationship between adrenarche and gonadarche.
- Sexually mature male goldfish release large quantities of androstenedione into the water where it functions as a pheromoneP W Sorensen
Department of Fisheries, Wildlife, and Conservation Biology, University of Minnesota, 1980 Folwell Avenue, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 140:164-75. 2005..It found that spermiated male goldfish release substantial quantities of androstenedione (AD; about 50 ng/h) together with smaller (10-20 ng/h) quantities of several other related C19 steroids but ..
- Smoking as a determinant for plasma levels of testosterone, androstenedione, and DHEAs in postmenopausal womenJonas Manjer
The Malmö Diet and Cancer Study, Department of Community Medicine, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo
Eur J Epidemiol 20:331-7. 2005..56 (0.98-2.47). Current smoking and increasing amount of current smoking were weakly associated with high androstenedione levels. However, these associations did not reach statistical significance...
- Serum luteinizing hormone levels are markedly increased and significantly correlated with Delta 4-androstenedione levels in lean women with polycystic ovary syndromeDimitrios Panidis
Division of Endocrinology and Human Reproduction, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Fertil Steril 84:538-40. 2005Lean women with polycystic ovary syndrome have markedly increased serum luteinizing hormone levels, which are significantly correlated with Delta(4)-androstenedione levels but not directly linked to insulin resistance.
- Adrenal steroids in adrenomyeloneuropathy. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, androstenedione and 17alpha-hydroxyprogesteroneMaria Wichers-Rother
Universitaetsklinikum Bonn, Institut für Klinische Biochemie, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
J Neurol 252:1525-9. 2005..We studied the circulating adrenal hormones 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (17alpha-OHP), androstenedione and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEAS) in 63 male AMN patients (age 17-65 years) and the DHEAS serum ..
- Involvement of the coeliac ganglion in the luteotrophic effect of androstenedione in late pregnant ratsMarilina Casais
Laboratorio de Biología de la Reproducción LABIR, Facultad de Quimica, Bioquimica y Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Chacabuco 917 5700, San Luis, Argentina
Reproduction 131:361-8. 2006..we investigated whether, when administered systemically or when added directly to the ganglion compartment, androstenedione (A2) can reverse such regression, and whether the neural (noradrenaline (NA)) and endocrine (A2) joint action ..
- Automated, fast and sensitive quantification of 17 alpha-hydroxy-progesterone, androstenedione and testosterone by tandem mass spectrometry with on-line extractionManfred Rauh
Klinik fur Kinder und Jugendliche, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Loschgestr 15, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Steroids 71:450-8. 2006Plasma 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP), androstenedione and testosterone measurements are important for the diagnosis and monitoring of hyperandrogenic disorders, most importantly for congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) due to 21-..
- Ovarian androgen production in postmenopausal womenRobin H Fogle
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3040-3. 2007..Several studies previously reported that the postmenopausal ovary produces androgens. However, these findings have recently been questioned in a group of women with adrenal insufficiency...
- In vivo assessment of the capacity of androstenedione to masculinize female mosquitofish (Gambusia affinis) exposed through dietary and static renewal methodsJason P Stanko
Department of Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1300 University Boulevard, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 1170, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 26:920-6. 2007In this study, we investigated the capacity of androstenedione to masculinize female mosquitofish...
- Testicular tumors in patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency show functional features of adrenocortical tissueHedi L Claahsen-van der Grinten
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Department of Paediatric Endocrinology 833, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3674-80. 2007..In male patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), testicular adrenal rest tumors are frequently found that may interfere with gonadal function...
- The sea lamprey (Petromyzon marinus) has a receptor for androstenedioneMara B Bryan
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Biol Reprod 77:688-96. 2007..The androgen with the highest affinity is not testosterone, but its direct precursor, androstenedione (Ad)...
- Reference levels for 17-hydroxyprogesterone, 11-desoxycortisol, cortisol, testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and androstenedione in infants from birth to six months of ageJesus M Garagorri
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, University of Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Eur J Pediatr 167:647-53. 2008..17OHP), 11-desoxycortisol (11DOC), cortisol, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), testosterone, and androstenedione in healthy infants from birth to 6 months of age...
- Phytoestrogens alter cortisol and androstenedione secretion by porcine adrenocortical cellsBarbara Kaminska
Department of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Biology, University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn, 10 718 Olsztyn, Oczapowskiego 1A, Poland
Acta Vet Hung 55:359-67. 2007The effect of plant-derived, nonsteroidal estrogens (genistein, daidzein and biochanin A) on cortisol and androstenedione secretion by porcine adrenocortical cells was examined...
- Effect of days after calving on insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding proteins, progesterone, androstenedione, estradiol, and aromatase mRNA in dominant follicles of postpartum beef cowsF J White
Department of Animal Science, Oklahoma Agricultural Experiment Station, Stillwater, OK 74078 0425, USA
Anim Reprod Sci 108:364-74. 2008The effect of days after calving on IGF-I, IGFBP, progesterone, androstenedione, estradiol, and aromatase mRNA in dominant ovarian follicles (DF) was evaluated in Angus x Hereford cows...
- Role of adiponectin in regulating ovarian theca and granulosa cell functionDana V Lagaly
Department of Animal Science, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, United States
Mol Cell Endocrinol 284:38-45. 2008..Adiponectin decreased (P<0.05) insulin-induced progesterone and androstenedione production as well as attenuated IGF-I-induced LHR, CYP11A1, and CYP17A1 gene expression in theca cells...
- Are yolk androgens adjusted to environmental conditions? A test in two seabirds that lay single-egg clutchesBriAnne Addison
Centre for Wildlife Ecology, Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
Gen Comp Endocrinol 158:5-9. 2008..We measured concentrations of two yolk androgens, androstenedione (A4) and testosterone (T), in the single-egg clutches laid by early-laying Cassin's (Ptychoramphus aleuticus) ..
- The Src tyrosine kinase pathway regulates thecal CYP17 expression and androstenedione secretionGaurav Chaturvedi
Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology, The Center for Reproductive Sciences, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 318:191-200. 2008..Inhibition of Src with PP2 increased both basal and forskolin-stimulated androstenedione secretion, and increased cytochrome P450 17-alpha hydroxylase-lyase (CYP17) promoter activity and steady ..
- Enhanced biotransformation of sitosterol to androstenedione by Mycobacterium sp. using cell wall permeabilizing antibioticsAlok Malaviya
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, 110016, India
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:1235-9. 2008..The effect of ethambutol, penicillin, polymixin and bacitracin on biotransformation of sitosterol to androstenedione by modification of cell wall permeability was examined...
- Exogenous androstenedione induces formation of follicular cysts and premature luteinization of granulosa cells in the ovaryYuki Okutsu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Sugao, Miya mae ku, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
Fertil Steril 93:927-35. 2010To investigate the effects of androstenedione on ovarian follicle development.
- Inactivating PAPSS2 mutations in a patient with premature pubarcheCees Noordam
Department of Pediatrics Metabolic and Endocrine Disorders, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 360:2310-8. 2009..In vitro coincubation of human SULT2A1 and wild-type or mutant PAPSS2 proteins confirmed the inactivating nature of the mutations. These observations indicate that PAPSS2 deficiency is a monogenic adrenocortical cause of androgen excess...
- Defining hyperandrogenism in polycystic ovary syndrome: measurement of testosterone and androstenedione by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and analysis by receiver operator characteristic plotsJulian H Barth
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 162:611-5. 2010..We have developed liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry methods for analysing testosterone and androstenedione (Ad) to study their reference ranges and diagnostic utility in PCOS.
- A novel ultrapressure liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of androstenedione, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone in pediatric blood samples: age- and sex-specific reference dataA E Kulle
Department of Pediatrics, Christian Albrechts University of Kiel, 24105 Kiel, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2399-409. 2010..Mass spectrometry-based methods are available for individual steroids but need complex sample preparation and report only fragmentary reference data for the pediatric population...
- Infants of women with polycystic ovary syndrome have lower cord blood androstenedione and estradiol levelsHelen Anderson
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2180-6. 2010..Retrospective studies have suggested that girls at risk for PCOS have low birth weight, and prospective studies have suggested an increased prevalence of small-for-gestational-age offspring in women with PCOS...
- 17α-Hydroxylase (CYP17) expression and subsequent androstenedione production in the human ovarySatin S Patel
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, University of Texas at Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Reprod Sci 17:978-86. 2010..In this review, we discuss the pivotal role of c-Fos in controlling the expression of CYP17 and hence androgen production in various organ systems throughout the human body...
- Changes in expression of bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs), their receptors and inhibin co-receptor betaglycan during bovine antral follicle development: inhibin can antagonize the suppressive effect of BMPs on thecal androgen productionClaire Glister
School of Biological Sciences, Hopkins Building, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6UB, UK
Reproduction 140:699-712. 2010..BMP4, BMP6 and BMP7 abolished LH-induced androstenedione secretion and suppressed CYP17 mRNA >200-fold (P<0...
- Molecular docking and QSAR studies of aromatase inhibitor androstenedione derivativesPartha Pratim Roy
Drug Theoretics and Cheminformatics Laboratory, Division of Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India
J Pharm Pharmacol 62:1717-28. 2010..In this study, a series of androstenedione derivatives with CYP19 inhibitory activity was subjected to a molecular docking study followed by ..
- Effect of castration monotherapy on the levels of adrenal androgens in cancerous prostatic tissuesSeiji Arai
Department of Urology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Steroids 76:301-8. 2011..analysis was precise and sensitive enough for the quantification of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), androstenedione, androstenediol, T, and DHT in the prostatic tissue...
- Role of 11β-OH-C(19) and C(21) steroids in the coupling of 11β-HSD1 and 17β-HSD3 in regulation of testosterone biosynthesis in rat Leydig cellsSyed A Latif
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Miriam Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, 164, Summit Avenue, Providence, RI 02906, United States
Steroids 76:682-9. 2011..In the absence of androstenedione (AD), substrate for 17β-HSD3, incubation of Leydig cells with corticosterone (B) or several C(19)- and C(21)-..
- Experimental evidence for genetic heritability of maternal hormone transfer to offspringMonika Okuliarová
Department of Animal Physiology and Ethology, Comenius University, Mlynska dolina, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Am Nat 177:824-34. 2011..Eggs of HET quail contained higher androstenedione and lower estradiol concentrations than did those of LET quail, with no line differences in yolk progesterone ..
- Correlation between androstenedione and 17-hydroxyprogesterone levels in the saliva and plasma of patients with congenital adrenal hyperplasiaA Z Juniarto
Department of Human Genetics, Centre for Biomedical Research, Faculty of Medicine, Diponegoro University, Jalan Dr No 14 Sutomo, Semarang 50232, Indonesia
Singapore Med J 52:810-3. 2011..Monitoring is done by measurement of 17-hydroxyprogesterone (17-OHP) or androstenedione in serum, plasma or saliva...
- Osteoblastic responses to LPS, glucose-oxidised LDL and minocycline: therapeutic targets for periodontal and cardiometabolic diseasesAruni Tilakaratne
Department of Oral Medicine and Periodontology, University of Peradeniya Sri Lanka
Recent Pat Endocr Metab Immune Drug Discov 6:73-84. 2012..The clinical relevance of this concept in periodontitis patients with cardiometabolic risk markers is addressed...
- Green Tea and Reduction of Breast Cancer RiskMINDY SUSAN KURZER; Fiscal Year: 2013..mammographic density;plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), IGF binding protein 3, estrone, estradiol, androstenedione and sex hormone binding globulin...
- Heather A Bimonte-Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2016..Four aims are proposed, using rats: Aim 1) We found that androstenedione (Andro) relates to impaired memory...
- Structure and Function of Integral Membrane Enzyme Human AromataseDebashis Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have grown single crystals of the androstenedione-complex of the full-length, highly active P450arom purified from human term placenta, gathered complete ..
- PREMENOPAUSAL HORMONE LEVELS AND RISK OF BREAST CANCERSusan E Hankinson; Fiscal Year: 2011..associations between incident premenopausal breast cancer and plasma levels of the sex steroids estradiol, androstenedione, testosterone, and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate...
- Marcia I Dawson; Fiscal Year: 2014..in an estrogen-dependent breast cancer xenograft model in ovariectomized immunodeficient mice inoculated with engineered cancer cells stably expressing LRH-1 and treated with the estrogen precursor androstenedione.
- Nima Sharifi; Fiscal Year: 2016..In Aim 2, the effect(s) of abiraterone acetate on the conversion from dehydroepiandrosterone to androstenedione by 3?HSD1 and 3?HSD2 will be characterized...
- Hormone levels during pregnancy and maternal ovarian cancerAnnekatrin Lukanova; Fiscal Year: 2010..4). To examine prospectively the association of testosterone, androstenedione and SHBG during pregnancy with maternal risk of ovarian cancer overall, and in subgroups defined by the ..
- SYNTHESIS OF STABLE ISOTOPE-LABELED STEROIDS FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF ENDOGENOUS SSCOTT LANDVATTER; Fiscal Year: 2009..key steroid hormones including 2-, 3-, and 4-methoxyestrogens, estriol, testosterone, estrone, estradiol, and androstenedione and dehydroepiandrosterone...
- SYNTHESIS OF STABLE ISOTOPE-LABELED STEROIDS FOR THE MEASUREMENT OF ENDOGENOUS SSCOTT LANDVATTER; Fiscal Year: 2011..key steroid hormones including 2-, 3-, and 4-methoxyestrogens, estriol, testosterone, estrone, estradiol, and androstenedione and dehydroepiandrosterone...
- Paracrine dysregulation of oocyte competence in PCOSDANIEL DUMESIC; Fiscal Year: 2006..circulating insulin excess, an exaggerated shift in intrafollicular steroidogenesis from estradiol (E2) and androstenedione (A4) to progesterone (P4), and impaired embryo development beginning with embryonic genome activation...
- The Molecular Basis of Ovarian Testosterone ProductionRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2004..Testosterone biosynthesis from androstenedione is carried out by androgenic 17b-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (17B-HSD) activity...
- Estrogen Metabolism and Action in Prostate Cancer Etiology in PCPTAshraful Hoque; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our overall hypothesis is that increased serum androstenedione, estradiol and estrone and variations in genes that metabolize estrogens are associated with the finasteride-..
- MECHANISMS OF ACTION IN DPP INTERVENTIONSAbbas Kitabchi; Fiscal Year: 2001..e. testosterone(T), and androstenedione(A)] is believed to be more deleterious to glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity than adrenal androgens [i...
- HORMONAL DISTURBANCES IN ANOVULATORY-HIRSUTE PATIENTSTERENCE MC KENNA; Fiscal Year: 1980..The plasma steroid profile (including testosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and DHEA-sulfate, LH, FSH and prolactin blood levels were measured basally ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF HORMONES AND OSTEOPOROSISLewis Kuller; Fiscal Year: 1991..There was little relationship between androgen hormones, testosterone and androstenedione to cortical bone...
- METABOLIC TRANSFORMATION OF STEROIDS IN BREAST CELLSRajeshwari Mehta; Fiscal Year: 1992..Identify physiological significance of local metabolic transformation of steroids (androstenedione lead to estrogen leads to estradiol; estrone, estradiol leads to E1SO4) in malignant and nonmalignant breast ..
- Targeting Androgen -IGF Interactions in Prostate CancerCharles Ryan; Fiscal Year: 2009..been proposed for the failure of AD are 1) stimulation of the androgen receptor (AR) by the adrenal androgens androstenedione and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and 2) stimulation of the AR by growth factors such as the insulin like ..
- EFFECT OF SRIs ON GONADAL STEROIDSMargaret Altemus; Fiscal Year: 2006..pathway, and that SRI treatment may also reduce levels of the downstream androgenic hormones DHEA and androstenedione. To confirm this pilot data and to begin to determine whether this effect is a specific characteristic of ..
- Relationship Between AD Clinicopathological Changes and CNS Sex Steroid HormonesJeremiah Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study will quantify levels of testosterone, estradiol, androstenedione and estrone by high sensitivity radioimmunoassay and will quantify expression of cytochrome P450 aromatase ..
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION OF STEROIDOGENIC CYTOCHROMES P-450John Shively; Fiscal Year: 1990..One focus of our studies will be aromatase, the enzyme responsible for the conversion of androstenedione to estrone and testosterone to estradiol...
- METABOLISM & CONTROL OF TESTOSTERONE ANDROGENS IN MANRichard Horton; Fiscal Year: 1990..2) Additional candidates as precursors of 3 alpha diol G are androstenedione and DHEA...
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY WOMENS HEALTH STUDYPaolo Toniolo; Fiscal Year: 2002..We are interested also in determining whether the major androgenic precursors of estrongens (androstenedione and testosterone) are associate with breast cancer risk in the same population...
- ENDOGENOUS STEROIDS AND CANCER OF THE OVARYPaolo Toniolo; Fiscal Year: 2001..aim is to determine whether pre-diagnostic blood levels of the major androgens of ovarian stromal origin, androstenedione and testosterone, are positively associated with the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer in both premenopausal ..
- BLOOD AND DATA BANK FOR CANCER RISK FACTOR STUDIESGeorge Comstock; Fiscal Year: 1992..risk factors include vitamins (A, D, E, carotenoids), trace elements (selenium, zinc), hormones (estrogens, androstenedione, progesterone, prolactin, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, ect...
- Functional Ovarian Hyperandrogenism/Minority AdolescentsJessica Rieder; Fiscal Year: 2002..The hypotheses are as follows: 1) the testosterone and androstenedione levels in subjects with menstrual cycle abnormalities and/or physical evidence of hyperandrogenism will be ..
- APPLICATION OF CHEMICAL METHODS TO STEROID METABOLISMSeymour Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 1991..which C/21-steroids (pregnenolone, progesterone) are converted into C/19-steroids (dehydroisoandro-sterone, androstenedione, testosterone)...
- ENDOGENOUS SEX HORMONES, GENETICS, AND PROSTATE CANCERChu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2001..risk of prostate cancer is related to: 1) serum concentrations of testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, 3-alpha-androstanediol glucuronide, and estradiol; 2) polymorphisms of the 5 ..
- EXERCISE EFFECT ON SEX HORMONES IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENAnne McTiernan; Fiscal Year: 2000..estradiol, estrone sulfate, sex hormone binding globulin, albumin, testosterone, free testosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, insulin, glucose and triglycerides...
- HORMONES AND EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN TEENAGE PREGNANCYElizabeth Susman; Fiscal Year: 1992..and challenging situations, (2) Lower levels of estradiol, testosterone and higher levels of cortisol and androstenedione, and (3) Higher levels of negative emotions and negative personality characteristics will predict negative ..
- STEROIDS AND FOLLICULAR DEVELOPMENTDAMODAR MAHAJAN; Fiscal Year: 1980The concentration of cortisol, progesterone, testosterone and delta-androstenedione in porcine follicular fluid, peripheral blood, perifollicular blood and ovarian venous blood are being measured and the determination of estrogens in the ..
- HYPERANDROGENISM AND INSULIN RESISTANCE IN WOMENROBERT BARBIERI; Fiscal Year: 1991..of 100 gms of glucose to hyperinsulinemic-hyperandrogenic women produces an acute rise in serum androstenedione, testosterone and dihydrotestosterone...
- Change in Bone, Arthritis, Function: Hormones & ObesityMaryFran Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2009..B) Describe changes in ovarian (i.e.. estradiol') and non-ovarian hormone concentrations (i.e., androstenedione) over a 13-year period and relate the hormone changes to 1) rate of pre, perimenopausal and postmenopausal ..
- Intra-Subject Hormone VariationDonald Brambilla; Fiscal Year: 2006..and the free androgen index), other major hormones (DHT, SHBG, LH, prolactin, DHEA, DHEAS, cortisol, androstenedione, androstanediol glucoronide (3-alpha-diol G) and estrone) are included because of rapidly growing interest in ..
- HORMONES AND RISK OF PROSTATIC HYPERLASIALois Monteiro; Fiscal Year: 1991..surgery for BPH and 400 controls will be retrieved and analyzed for testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, delta4-androstenedione, estrone, and estradiol...
- HORMONES IN THE EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PROSTATIC HYPERPLASIAWendy Verhoek Oftedahl; Fiscal Year: 1992..and analyzed for free and bound testosterone, dehydrotestosterone, free and bound estradiol, estrone, delta4-androstenedione, androstanediol, and prolactin...
- BIOSOCIAL MODELS OF WOMEN'S GENDER ROLE BEHAVIORJ Udry; Fiscal Year: 1991..Serum will be assayed for testosterone, sex hormone binding globulin, estradiol, progesterone, androstenedione, and luteinizing hormone...
- ESTROGEN, CORTICOID, AND GONADOTROPIN IN OBESITYBarnett Zumoff; Fiscal Year: 1980..e. adrenocortical androstenedione) to see whether this will normalize plasma estrogen and FSH levels.
- CONDUCT DISORDER IN ADOLESCENT GIRLS--PATHS TO ADULTHOODKathleen Pajer; Fiscal Year: 1999..130) who will be compared on the basis of psychiatric stability, neuropsychological function, testosterone, androstenedione, and estradiol, dyhydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), its sulfate (DHEA(-S) and sex steroid binding globulin (SSBG) ..
- MATERNAL EXERCISE AND REPRODUCTIVE FUNCTION IN OFFSPRINGKAREN CARLBERG; Fiscal Year: 1992..In Experiments 3 and 4, concentrations of corticosterone and androstenedione, respectively, will be measured in blood samples taken from mothers and fetuses immediately post-exercise or ..
- New Paradigms of P450-mediated Steroids MetabolismAlan Conley; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- REDUCTASE INTERACTIONS GOVERNING AROMATASE ACTIVITIESAlan Conley; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- ESTROGEN BIOTRANSFORMATIONS AND BREAST CANCER ETIOLOGYROBERT BRUEGGEMEIER; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) To measure cellular levels of aromatase expression and cyclooxygenases expression in human breast cancer specimens. ..
- INSULIN, IGF-1 & CANCERS OF BREAST, ENDOMETRIUM & OVARYRudolf Kaaks; Fiscal Year: 2001..All studies are based on the same underlying population, obtained by combining three prospective cohort studies that are currently ongoing in New York, Umea (Sweden) and Milan (Italy). ..
- Multidisciplinary Program in Female and Male ReproductionEUGENE ALBRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2008..The discoveries obtained in the baboon primate model are expected to translate to the human to advance knowledge of human reproductive biology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANDROGEN SYNTHESIS INHIBITORS FOR PROSTATE CANCERAngela Brodie; Fiscal Year: 2008..Determine effective doses, scheduling, and route of administration and b. Compare the effect of lead inhibitors and castration on apoptosis to identify the best compound. ..
- The Role of Prolactin in the Etiology of Postmenopausal Breast CancerShelley Tworoger; Fiscal Year: 2008..This potentially may affect public health by increasing our understanding of how breast cancer develops, which in turn can lead to a better understanding of how to prevent this disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Lifestyle, insulin, IGF-I and colorectal cancerRudolf Kaaks; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study seeks to increase understanding of etiologic mechanisms relating over nutrition to colon cancer development, which will eventually allow the in formulation of more precise nutritional guidelines for efficient prevention. ..
- Structure of Microsomal Enzymes in Estrogen BiosynthesisDebashis Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Endogenous Hormones and Risk of EndometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Establishment of follow-up among our younger cohort will provide resources for the first prospective study of endometriosis among adolescents. ..
- Placental 3B-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase/IsomeraseJames Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2008..the conversion of pregnenolone to progesterone and utilizes fetal dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) to produce androstenedione that is further metabolized to 17[unreadable]-estradiol, which participates in the cascade of events that ..
- Progesterone Modulation of Pulsatile GnRH SecretionCHRISTOPHER MCCARTNEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..McCartney's development into an independent patient-oriented investigator in the field of reproductive endocrinology. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A prospective study of diet and endometriosisStacey Missmer; Fiscal Year: 2006..These analyses will be the first to evaluate the relation between these dietary factors and this important and understudied cause of morbidity among premenopausal women. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANDROGENIZED FEMALE AS A MODEL FOR P0LYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYDavid Abbott; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such results would offer novel insights into the origin and mechanism of PCOS, and would provide a unifying determinant for a multifactorial syndrome. ..
- Ad-vectors and Granulosa Cell SignalingAnthony Zeleznik; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, results may provide new information regarding signaling pathways that may be affected in PCOS. ..
- REGULATION OF THE CORPUS LUTEUMAnthony Zeleznik; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Protein targets of ovarian and oocyte autoantibodiesJudith Luborsky; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also contribute to a better understanding of an autoimmune disease that affects women's health. ..
- Inflammation: Effect on Insulin Resistance in PCOSFrank Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PLACENTAL 3 BETA-HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASE/ISOMERASEJames Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2003..utilizes dehydroepiandrosterone, the primary steroid product of the fetal adrenal gland near term, to produce androstenedione that is further metabolized to l7beta-estradiol...
- Stress Responses, Psychosocial Stress and Pain Perception in African AmericansSusan S Girdler; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal is intended to forge new territory in the development of a bio-behavioral model relating to the development of clinical pain in African Americans. Project Description ..
- Aromatase inhibition in elderly hypogonadal menBenjamin Leder; Fiscal Year: 2009..With these assessments, we will better define the relative roles of estrogens and androgens in the physiology of aging and explore the mechanisms underlying gonadal steroid action in older men. ..