Summary: A synthetic hormone with anabolic and androgenic properties.
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Androgen-responsive aspects of cognition in girls with Turner syndromeJ L Ross
Department of Pediatrics, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:292-6. 2003..A total of 64 TS girls were randomized to receive oxandrolone or placebo for 2 yr...
- Improved net protein balance, lean mass, and gene expression changes with oxandrolone treatment in the severely burnedSteven E Wolf
Department of Surgery, Shriners Burns Hospital, University of Texas Medical Branch, 815 Market, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Ann Surg 237:801-10; discussion 810-1. 2003To determine the effects of the anabolic agent oxandrolone on muscle protein and gene expression in severely burned children.
- Final height in a patient with Laron syndrome after long-term therapy with rhlGF-I and short-term therapy with LHRH-analogue and oxandrolone during pubertyS Zucchini
Department of Pediatrics, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:274-9. 2005..recombinant-human-IGF-I (rhIGF-I) of a female patient with Laron syndrome (mutation G223G in the GH receptor gene), who received short-term treatment (1 yr) with LHRH analogue at the start of puberty and subsequently with oxandrolone.
- Effects of oxandrolone, an anabolic steroid, on hemostasisNighat N Kahn
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am J Hematol 81:95-100. 2006This study evaluated the short-term effects of oxandrolone, an anabolic androgenic synthetic steroid, on blood coagulation and the hemostatic/fibrinolytic system in healthy individuals...
- The effects of oxandrolone and exercise on muscle mass and function in children with severe burnsRene Przkora
Shriners Hospitals for Children, 815 Market St, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Pediatrics 119:e109-16. 2007Severe burns are associated with a significant loss of muscle and strength. Studies have reported that oxandrolone improves lean body mass in muscle-wasting conditions...
- SITAR--a useful instrument for growth curve analysisTim J Cole
MRC Centre of Epidemiology for Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 39:1558-66. 2010..Such data can be summarized with individual Preece-Baines (PB) curves, and their five parameters then related to earlier exposures or later outcomes. But it involves fitting many curves...
- Burns: where are we standing with propranolol, oxandrolone, recombinant human growth hormone, and the new incretin analogs?Gerd G Gauglitz
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 14:176-81. 2011..This review focuses on the more recent advances in therapeutic strategies to attenuate the hypermetabolic response and its associated insulin resistance postburn...
- Reversal of COPD-associated weight loss using the anabolic agent oxandroloneShing Shing Yeh
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Northport, NY, USA
Chest 122:421-8. 2002..Weight restoration has been associated with improved outcomes. The effects of oxandrolone, an adjunct to help restore weight, were evaluated in patients with COPD.
- Oxandrolone enhances skeletal muscle myosin synthesis and alters global gene expression profile in Duchenne muscular dystrophyPrabhakaran Balagopal
Nemours Children s Clinic, Jacksonville, FL 32207, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E530-9. 2006..Although previous studies have suggested that oxandrolone may be beneficial in DMD, the mechanism of action of oxandrolone on muscle in DMD remains unclear...
- Synthesis, characterization, and detection of new oxandrolone metabolites as long-term markers in sports drug testingS Guddat
Institute of Biochemistry and Center for Preventive Doping Research, German Sport University, Am Sportpark Muengersdorf 6, 50933, Cologne, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 405:8285-94. 2013..For oxandrolone and other 17-methyl steroids, analogs of this metabolite have already been described, but comprehensive ..
- Oxandrolone enhances hepatic ketogenesis in adult menGloria Lena Vega
Center for Human Nutrition, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Investig Med 56:920-4. 2008Immediate administration of oxandrolone markedly increases hepatic lipase activity and reduces levels of plasma high-density lipoprotein.
- New oxandrolone derivatives by biotransformation using Rhizopus stoloniferM Iqbal Choudhary
H E J Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan
Steroids 74:1040-4. 2009Structural transformation of the steroidal lactone, oxandrolone (1), by suspended-cell cultures of the plant pathogen fungus Rhizopus stolonifer, resulted in the production of three new metabolites...
- Treatment with oxandrolone and the durability of effects in older menE Todd Schroeder
Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
J Appl Physiol 96:1055-62. 2004We investigated the effects of the anabolic androgen, oxandrolone, on lean body mass (LBM), muscle size, fat, and maximum voluntary muscle strength, and we determined the durability of effects after treatment was stopped...
- A randomized efficacy and safety trial of oxandrolone in the treatment of Duchenne dystrophyG M Fenichel
Department of Neurology, Ohio State University College of Medicine, USA
Neurology 56:1075-9. 2001A pilot study suggested that oxandrolone, an anabolic steroid, improved strength in boys with Duchenne dystrophy (DD) and indicated the need for a more definitive study.
- Oxandrolone in the treatment of HIV-associated weight loss in men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyCarl Grunfeld
University of California San Francisco, and Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:304-14. 2006To evaluate the efficacy and safety of oxandrolone in promoting body weight and body cell mass (BCM) gain in HIV-associated weight loss.
- Metabolic and hormonal changes of severely burned children receiving long-term oxandrolone treatmentRene Przkora
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Ann Surg 242:384-9, discussion 390-1. 2005When given to children for 1 year after a severe burn, oxandrolone significantly improves lean body mass, bone mineral content, and muscle strength...
- The anabolic androgenic steroid oxandrolone in the treatment of wasting and catabolic disorders: review of efficacy and safetyRhonda Orr
School of Exercise and Sport Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Drugs 64:725-50. 2004..One such agent is the anabolic androgenic steroid (AAS) oxandrolone, which has been used in such clinical situations as HIV-related muscle wasting, severe burn injury, trauma ..
- Favorable final height outcome in girls with Ullrich-Turner syndrome treated with low-dose growth hormone together with oxandrolone despite starting treatment after 10 years of ageN Stahnke
University Hospital, Department of Pediatrics, Hamburg, Germany
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15:129-38. 2002The objective of this study was to find out whether moderate doses of growth hormone (GH) in combination with oxandrolone (Ox) and late initiation of puberty could improve adult height even in relatively old patients with Ullrich-Turner ..
- Final height in girls with central idiopathic precocious puberty treated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analog and oxandroloneAlessandra Vottero
Department of Pediatrics, University of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1284-7. 2006..However, in some patients, the growth deceleration is so marked that the expected improvement in predicted adult height is not achieved...
- Efficacy and safety of oxandrolone in growth hormone-treated girls with turner syndromeLeonie A Menke
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1151-60. 2010GH therapy increases growth and adult height in Turner syndrome (TS). The benefit to risk ratio of adding the weak androgen oxandrolone (Ox) to GH is unclear.
- Final height of patients with Turner's syndrome treated with growth hormone (GH): indications for GH therapy alone at high doses and late estrogen therapy. Italian Study Group for Turner SyndromeE Cacciari
Department of Pediatrics, University of Bologna, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4510-5. 1999..30 were treated for >4 yr and 10 for >6 yr); group A2, GH plus ethinyl estradiol (17 patients) or GH plus oxandrolone (10 patients); group B, 51 patients with low doses of GH (0...
- Low sex hormone-binding globulin and testosterone levels in association with erectile dysfunction among human immunodeficiency virus-infected men receiving testosterone and oxandrolonePeter Wasserman
Infectious Disease Division, Department of Medicine New York Hospital Queens, Flushing, NY, USA
J Sex Med 5:241-7. 2008..acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) wasting and hypogonadism are frequently treated with testosterone and oxandrolone, an orally administered anabolic-androgenic steroid hormone...
- The effect of the weak androgen oxandrolone on psychological and behavioral characteristics in growth hormone-treated girls with Turner syndromeLeonie A Menke
Leiden University Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, Leiden, The Netherlands
Horm Behav 57:297-305. 2010The weak androgen oxandrolone (Ox) increases height gain in growth-hormone (GH) treated girls with Turner syndrome (TS), but may also give rise to virilizing side effects...
- The effect of oxandrolone on the endocrinologic, inflammatory, and hypermetabolic responses during the acute phase postburnMarc G Jeschke
Shriners Hospital for Children, and Department of Surgery, University Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Ann Surg 246:351-60; discussion 360-2. 2007Postburn long-term oxandrolone treatment improves hypermetabolism and body composition...
- A pilot randomized trial of oxandrolone in inclusion body myositisS B Rutkove
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Neurology 58:1081-7. 2002Inclusion body myositis (IBM) remains without effective therapy. As anabolic steroids have myotrophic properties, the authors studied whether a synthetic androgen, oxandrolone, would have efficacy in IBM.
- Oxandrolone treatment of childhood hereditary angioedemaJoseph A Church
Division of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Department of Pediatrics, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles and Keck of School of Medicine, The University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 92:377-8. 2004..b>Oxandrolone is a synthetic anabolic steroid with limited virilizing effects that has been used in a variety of pediatric ..
- Oxandrolone treatment in adults with severe thermal injuryJames T Miller
Department of Pharmacy Services, Sinai Grace Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:213-26. 2009..b>Oxandrolone, a synthetic derivative of testosterone, has been used in adult patients with severe thermal injury to enhance ..
- Oxandrolone blocks glucocorticoid signaling in an androgen receptor-dependent mannerJingbo Zhao
Rehabilitation and Research Development Center of Excellence for the Medical Consequences of Spinal Cord Injury, VA Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Steroids 69:357-66. 2004The anabolic steroid oxandrolone is increasingly used to preserve or restore muscle mass in those with HIV infection or serious burns. These effects are mediated, in part, by the androgen receptor (AR)...
- Short-term oxandrolone administration stimulates net muscle protein synthesis in young menM Sheffield-Moore
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, and Shriners Burn Hospital for Children, Galveston 77550, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:2705-11. 1999..We investigated whether oxandrolone [Oxandrin (OX)], a synthetic analog of testosterone, would improve net muscle protein synthesis and transport ..
- Body cell mass repletion and improved quality of life in HIV-infected individuals receiving oxandroloneCarrie P Earthman
Department of Nutritional Sciences, The University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 26:357-65. 2002..study was to measure changes in body cell mass (BCM) and quality of life in HIV-infected individuals undergoing oxandrolone therapy...
- Effects of long-term oxandrolone administration in severely burned childrenKevin D Murphy
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Surgery 136:219-24. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine whether oxandrolone administration for 1 year after the burn reverses muscle and bone catabolism in hypermetabolic pediatric burn ..
- Comparing megestrol acetate therapy with oxandrolone therapy for HIV-related weight loss: similar results in 2 monthsD Mkaya Mwamburi
Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:895-902. 2004..trial, we compared the effects of 2 months of treatment with either megestrol acetate (800 mg every day) or oxandrolone (10 mg twice per day) on body weight and composition in patients with weight loss of > or =5 kg who were ..
- Hypovitaminosis D in acutely injured pediatric burn patientsMichele M Gottschlich
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 104:931-41, quiz 1031. 2004..The prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency, its etiology, and associated sequelae among acutely injured burn patients is unknown...
- Treatment outcome in Turner syndromeM Parvin
Department of Paediatrics, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Tallaght, Dublin 24
Ir Med J 97:12, 14-5. 2004..age of commencement, cessation, dose and duration of treatment was calculated for growth hormone, oestrogen and oxandrolone, either alone or in combination. Additional factors known to influence growth in TS were also examined...
- Treatment guidelines for HIV-associated wastingBruce Polsky
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY, USA
HIV Clin Trials 5:50-61. 2004
- The long-term effect of oxandrolone on hepatic acute phase proteins in severely burned childrenSuchmor Thomas
Department of Surgery, Shriners Hospitals for Children and University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, 77550, USA
J Trauma 56:37-44. 2004Acute phase protein production is a hallmark of severe burns. We wondered whether anabolic treatment with oxandrolone would affect these proteins.
- Effects of androgen therapy on adipose tissue and metabolism in older menE Todd Schroeder
Department of Medicine and Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4863-72. 2004We investigated the effects of oxandrolone on regional fat compartments and markers of metabolism. Thirty-two 60- to 87-yr-old men (body mass index, 28.1 +/- 3...
- [Therapeutic approach of hereditary angioedema]Kélem de Nardi Chagas
Laboratório de Investigação Médica, Dermatologia e Imunodeficiência, LIM 56, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Rev Assoc Med Bras 50:314-9. 2004..We describe the peculiarities of the treatment chosen for 10 patients (4 families) with HAE and their evolution...
- Influence of hormonal therapy on growth rate and bone age progression in patients with Turner syndromeAneta Gawlik
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Silesian University School of Medicine, Katowice, Poland
Endokrynol Pol 56:136-44. 2005..type of hormonal therapy: 1) 11 patients treated with growth hormone (GH); 2) 18 patients treated with GH and oxandrolone (Ox); 3) 7 patients treated with GH, Ox and estrogens (E); 4) 6 patients treated with OX and E; and the control ..
- Cost-effectiveness of clinical interventions for AIDS wastingA Beaston-Blaakman
Family Health International, North Carolina 27709, USA
AIDS Care 19:996-1001. 2007..the costs and impacts of a nutritional counseling intervention alone (NC arm), the nutrition intervention with oxandrolone (OX arm), and the nutrition intervention with progressive resistance training (PRTarm) for the treatment of ..
- The pharmacologic modulation of the hypermetabolic response to burnsClifford T Pereira
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas, USA
Adv Surg 39:245-61. 2005..low-dose insulin infusion, beta-blockade with propranolol, and the use of the synthetic testosterone analogue oxandrolone are the most cost-effective and least toxic therapies to date...
- Corticosteroid-induced myopathy in spinal cord injury patients: a role for anticatabolic agents?R D Dickerman
Spinal Cord 44:263-4. 2006
- Use of oxandrolone in ventilator dependent surgical patientsC T Pereira
Ann Surg 241:1030-1; author reply 1031-2. 2005
- [Study of bone mass in Turner syndrome]E Cancer Gaspar
Centro de Salud La Jota, Gobierno de Aragón, Zaragoza Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 62:441-9. 2005To evaluate bone mass in patients with Turner syndrome by measuring metacarpal cortical thickness and bone diameter before and after treatment with oxandrolone, growth hormone (GH) and estrogens.
- Oxandrolone in pediatric patients with severe thermal burn injuryJames T Miller
Department of Clinical, Social, and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Ann Pharmacother 42:1310-5. 2008To review the role of oxandrolone in pediatric patients with severe thermal burn injury.
- Longitudinal monitoring of bone accretion measured by quantitative multi-site ultrasound (QUS) of bones in patients with delayed puberty (a pilot study)Zvi Zadik
The Pediatric Endocrine Unit, Kaplan Medical Center, Hadassah Medical School, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Osteoporos Int 16:1036-41. 2005..to compare the effect of anabolic agents on bone accretion in boys with constitutional delay of puberty (CGDP)...
- Incidence of hepatic dysfunction is equivalent in burn patients receiving oxandrolone and controlsMona C McCullough
University ofMiami Miller School ofMedicine, DeWitt Daughtry Family Department of Surgery, Division of Burns, Miami, Florida, USA
J Burn Care Res 28:412-20. 2007b>Oxandrolone has been shown to improve lean muscle mass in patients with burns. Hepatic dysfunction is a known side effect of treatment with oxandrolone...
- Growth and puberty in Turner's syndromeSilvano Bertelloni
Pediatric Endocrinology and Adolescent Medicine, Division of Paediatrics, University of Pisa, Santa Chiara Hospital, Pisa, Italy
J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 16:307-15. 2003..Some studies reported that combined therapy with GH and an anabolic steroid--oxandrolone--is also beneficial at lower GH doses...
- Drug increases lean tissue mass in patients with cancerBarbara Boughton
Lancet Oncol 4:135. 2003
- Remission of clinical signs in early duchenne muscular dystrophy on intermittent low-dosage prednisolone therapyV Dubowitz
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre, Department of Paediatrics, London, UK
Eur J Paediatr Neurol 6:153-9. 2002....
- Relationship between body composition and cytokines in cachectic patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseShing Shing Yeh
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:890-1. 2003
- Androgen therapy improves muscle mass and strength but not muscle quality: results from two studiesE Todd Schroeder
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E16-24. 2003..Study 2: older healthy men (72 +/- 5 yr) were randomized to oxandrolone (20 mg/day) or placebo...
- AIDS wasting syndrome: trends, influence on opportunistic infections, and survivalMark S Dworkin
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention Surveillance and Epidemiology, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 33:267-73. 2003..Prescription of oxandrolone was associated with improved survival, but the results did not quite reach statistical significance...
- Successful treatment of anabolic steroid-induced azoospermia with human chorionic gonadotropin and human menopausal gonadotropinDev Kumar Menon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Fertil Steril 79:1659-61. 2003....
- Estimation of Cachexia among Cancer Patients Based on Four DefinitionsKathleen M Fox
Strategic Healthcare Solutions, LLC, P O Box 543, Monkton, MD 21111, USA
J Oncol 2009:693458. 2009..of cachexia, anorexia, abnormal weight loss, or feeding difficulties, (3) prescription for megestrol acetate, oxandrolone, somatropin, or dronabinol, and (4) >/=5% weight loss...
- Growth velocity, final height and bone mineral metabolism of short children treated long term with growth hormoneR Lanes
Unidad de Endocrinologia Pediatrica, Hospital de Clinicas Caracas, Venezuela
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 1:33-46. 2000..demonstrated a gain of 8-12 cm in girls with Turner's syndrome treated with GH or with a combination of GH and oxandrolone. Neely et al...
- Orexigenic and anabolic agentsJohn E Morley
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 1402 South Grand Boulevard M238, Saint Louis, MO 63104, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 18:853-66. 2002..Anabolic agents, such as oxandrolone, should be reserved for those who have profound cachexia...
- Anabolic steroids, testosterone-precursors and virilizing androgens induce distinct activation profiles of androgen responsive promoter constructsP M Holterhus
Department of Pediatrics, Medical University of Lubeck, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 82:269-75. 2002..Three virilizing androgens (dihydrotestosterone, testosterone, methyltrienolone), three anabolic steroids (oxandrolone, stanozolol, nandrolone) and two testosterone-precursors of gonadal and adrenal origin (dehydroepiandrosterone, ..
- Anabolic treatment with GH, IGF-I, or anabolic steroids in patients with HIV-associated wastingKathleen Mulligan
Division of Endocrinology, San Francisco General Hospital and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Int J Cardiol 85:151-9. 2002..anabolic agents, including growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-I, testosterone, nandrolone decanoate, oxandrolone, and oxymetholone, have been studied in patients with HIV-associated wasting...
- The effects of oestrogens on linear bone growthA Juul
Department of Growth and Reproduction GR, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Hum Reprod Update 7:303-13. 2001..androgen receptor (AR) blockade increases GH secretion in peripubertal boys, and non-aromatizable androgens [oxandrolone or dihydrotestosterone (DHT)] have no effect on GH secretion...
- Aspects of the treatment of Turner syndromeC H Gravholt
Medical Department M Endocrinology and Diabetes and Medcal Research Laboratories, Aarhus Kommunehospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Expert Opin Pharmacother 2:1633-47. 2001..concern and treatment with growth hormone (GH) is now widely used, often in conjunction with the androgen, oxandrolone. Recent studies indicate that doses used previously in the treatment of short stature have been too small...
- An update on promising agents for the treatment of cancer cachexiaClelia Madeddu
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Cagliari, Italy
Curr Opin Support Palliat Care 3:258-62. 2009..The purpose of this review is to supply an update on the promising agents and/or combined approaches for the treatment of cancer cachexia...
- Pelvic ultrasound evaluation in patients with Turner syndrome during treatment with growth hormoneP Sampaolo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 22:172-7. 2003Treatment with growth hormone (GH), alone or in combination with oxandrolone, is used in patients affected by Turner syndrome to improve growth velocity and adult height...
- Corticosteroids in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a reappraisalBrenda L Y Wong
Division of Child Neurology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Child Neurol 17:183-90. 2002..This is an evidence-based review of all of the studies of corticosteroids (prednisone, deflazacort, and oxandrolone) in Duchenne muscular dystrophy...
- Growth hormone therapy in Turner syndrome--current uncertainties and future strategiesM D Donaldson
Department of Child Health, Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Horm Res 48:35-44. 1997..and interpatient variability of response to GH in Turner syndrome, and continuing uncertainty as to the role of oxandrolone and the timing of estrogen therapy, emphasizes the need for further research...
- Improvement in steroid screening for doping control with special emphasis on stanozololAndreas Huenerbein
LABDOP LADETEC, Instituto de Quimica, Ilha do Fundao, Centro de Tecnologia, Bloco A sala 512, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro 21949 900, RJ, Brazil
J Chromatogr A 985:375-86. 2003..Later. eluting analytes, such as the stanozolol metabolites, furazabol and oxandrolone were not affected. Temperatures below 140 degrees C...
- Support of the metabolic response to burn injuryDavid N Herndon
Shriners Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Lancet 363:1895-902. 2004..of lean body mass to a minimum, administration of anabolic agents, recombinant human growth hormone, insulin, oxandrolone, or anticatabolic drugs such as propranolol are alternative approaches...
- Predicting the response to recombinant human growth hormone in Turner syndrome: KIGS models. KIGS International Board. Kabi International Growth StudyM B Ranke
Paediatric Endocrinology Section, University Children s Hospital, Tubingen, Germany
Acta Paediatr Suppl 88:122-5. 1999..of height velocity in years 1-4 of GH therapy included age (negative), weight SDS and additional treatment with oxandrolone. The predictions in all 4 years were highly accurate, as indicated by the low error SDs...
- Advances in burn careNicholas Namias
Department of Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 13:405-10. 2007..This article reviews and critiques new developments in the critical care of burn patients...
- Turner's syndrome: a paediatric perspectiveT C Sas
Department of Paediatrics, Division of Endocrinology, Sophia Children s Hospital University Hospital, Dr Molewaterplein 40, NL 3015 GL Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Horm Res 56:38-43. 2001..045 mg/kg per day). Higher GH doses (6 or 8 IU/m(2) per day) or the use of oxandrolone may be more effective, but their efficacy on adult height and safety in the very long term still have to be ..
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of letrozole to oxandrolone effects upon growth and puberty of children with constitutional delay of puberty and idiopathic short statureShadab Salehpour
Mofid Children s Hospital, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran shadab salehpour gmail com
Horm Res Paediatr 74:428-35. 2010..We compared the effects of letrozole with that of oxandrolone on predicted adult height (PAH), puberty, bone mineral density, serum insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) and ..
- Nutritional and pharmacological support of the metabolic response to injuryD N Herndon
Shriners Hospitals for Children Galveston Burns Hospital, SHC G, Professor of Pediatrics and Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, UTMB, USA
Minerva Anestesiol 69:264-74. 2003..To further minimize erosion of lean body mass administration of recombinant human growth hormone, insulin, oxandrolone or propranolol are all reasonable approaches...
- Long-term treatment with growth hormone has no persisting effect on lipoprotein(a) in patients with Turner's syndromeU Querfeld
Department of Pediatrics, University of Cologne, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:967-70. 1999Treatment with recombinant human GH (rhGH), alone or in combination with the anabolic steroid oxandrolone (OX), has been recommended for girls with Turner's syndrome to improve final height...
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy: Drug development and regulatory considerationsD Elizabeth McNeil
FDA Office of Orphan Product Development OOPD, 5600 Fishers Lane HF 35, Food and Drug Administration FDA, US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
Muscle Nerve 41:740-5. 2010..g., cardiac and respiratory dysfunction related to reduced or absent dystrophin production? It seems reasonable to argue that clinical trials planned for DMD should consider the entire population...
- Treatment of children and adolescents with idiopathic short statureMichael B Ranke
University Children s Hospital Tubingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 1, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Nat Rev Endocrinol 9:325-34. 2013..In cases with pubertal delay, sex steroids, such as testosterone and oxandrolone, can favourably influence height velocity and growth tempo, although adult height is not affected...
- Nutritional supplements cross-contaminated and faked with doping substancesHans Geyer
Center for Preventive Doping Research, German Sport University Cologne, Am Sportpark Müngersdorf 6, 50933 Cologne, Germany
J Mass Spectrom 43:892-902. 2008..of 'classic' anabolic steroids such as metandienone, stanozolol, boldenone, dehydrochloromethyl-testosterone, oxandrolone etc. have been detected on the nutritional supplement market...
- Burns: an update on current pharmacotherapyYesenia Rojas
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 13:2485-94. 2012..Incorporation of pharmacotherapeutics into treatment regimens may further reduce complications of severe burn injuries...
- Emerging medication for the treatment of male hypogonadismGiovanni Corona
University of Florence, Sexual Medicine and Andrology Unit, Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Florence, Italy
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 17:239-59. 2012..Since the phenotype and clinical need of the hypogonadal individuals changes dramatically over time, versatile therapies are needed...
- Five-year outcomes after oxandrolone administration in severely burned children: a randomized clinical trial of safety and efficacyLaura J Porro
Shriners Hospitals for Children Galveston, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
J Am Coll Surg 214:489-502; discussion 502-4. 2012b>Oxandrolone, an anabolic agent, has been administered for 1 year post burn with beneficial effects in pediatric patients. However, the long-lasting effects of this treatment have not been studied...
- Presence of endogenous interferences in the urinary detection of selected anabolic steroids by liquid chromatography/electrospray tandem mass spectrometryOscar J Pozo
DoCoLab, UGent, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Technologiepark 30, B 9052 Zwijnaarde, Belgium
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:2785-96. 2007..This has been shown for 1-testosterone, 5beta-androst-1-ene-17beta-ol-3-one and oxandrolone where the selection of the uncommon [M+H+MeOH](+) as the precursor ion increased the selectivity of the method...
- Protein-energy malnutrition and involuntary weight loss: nutritional and pharmacological strategies to enhance wound healingNancy Collins
Nutrition Guidance Center, 18459 Pines Blvd, Suite 204, Pembroke Pines, FL 33029 1422, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 4:1121-40. 2003..therapy that provides adequate protein, calories and micronutrients, combined with an anabolic agent such as oxandrolone, may provide the most optimal environment for restoration of lean body mass and body weight and in turn, ..
- Hormonal therapy in a patient with a delayed diagnosis of Turner's syndromeAneta Gawlik
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes of the Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 4:173-7. 2008..A number of typical features of Turner's syndrome were found, including a short webbed neck, cubitus valgus, shield chest, multiple pigmented nevi, lymphedema, epicanthus and micrognathia...
- Studies on anabolic steroids--12. Epimerization and degradation of anabolic 17 beta-sulfate-17 alpha-methyl steroids in human: qualitative and quantitative GC/MS analysisH Bi
Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique, INRS Santé, Universite du Quebec, Canada
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 42:533-46. 1992..using the pyridinium salts of 17 beta-sulfate derivatives of methandienone 1, methyltestosterone 4, oxandrolone 7, mestanolone 10 and stanozolol 11 as model compounds...
- Cancer-induced cachexia: a guide for the oncologistNorleena Gullett
Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 7:155-69. 2009..Experimental therapies are also discussed, including nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, tumor necrosis factor alpha antagonists, tetrahydrocannabinol, growth hormone, ghrelin, oxandrolone, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Oxandrolone steroid use and impaired coagulationElizabeth A Koller
Arch Intern Med 166:125. 2006
- [Carbohydrate metabolism in patients with Turner syndrome. The effect of therapy with growth hormone, oxandrolone and a combination of both]Jerzy Starzyk
Klinika Endokrynologii Dieci i Młodziezy Katedry Pediatrii, Collegium Medicum UJ w Krakowie, Krakow
Endokrynol Diabetol Chor Przemiany Materii Wieku Rozw 11:79-84. 2005..and IV glucose tolerance test in patients with Turner syndrome after a 6-month therapy with growth hormone, oxandrolone (Ox) and a combination of these two agents (hGH+Ox)...
- Turner syndrome in childhood and adolescenceJennifer Batch
Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 16:465-82. 2002..Growth hormone (GH) given alone or with oxandrolone improves final height...
- Androgen therapy in constitutional delay of growthMeir Lampit
Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Horm Res 59:270-5. 2003..prevail in the treatment of constitutional delay of growth (CDG): monthly injections of testosterone or daily tablets of the non-aromatizable oxandrolone. The present study was undertaken to prospectively compare both compounds and dose.
- Screening of free 17-alkyl-substituted anabolic steroids in human urine by liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometryAntti Leinonen
Doping Control Laboratory, United Laboratories Ltd, Helsinki, Finland
Steroids 69:101-9. 2004..of the abuse of 4-chlorodehydromethyltestosterone, danazol, fluoxymesterone, formebolone, metandienone, oxandrolone, and stanozolol...
- Influence of X chromosome and hormones on human brain development: a magnetic resonance imaging and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study of Turner syndromeWilliam J Cutter
Section of Brain Maturation, Department of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, De Crespigny Park, Denmark Hill, London SE5 8AF, UK
Biol Psychiatry 59:273-83. 2006..Hence, they allow us an opportunity to investigate genetic and endocrine influences on brain development...
- The right mix: using nutritional interventions and an anabolic agent to manage a stage IV ulcerNancy Collins
Adv Skin Wound Care 17:36, 38-9. 2004
- Altering metabolismClifford T Pereira
Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 26:194-9. 2005..of recombinant human growth hormone, low-dose insulin infusion, use of the synthetic testosterone analog, oxandrolone, and beta blockade with propranolol. This review article discusses these modulators of postburn metabolism.
- Longitudinal monitoring of bone measured by quantitative multisite ultrasound in patients with Crohn's diseaseZvi Zadik
Pediatric Endocrine Unit, Kaplan Medical Center, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:120-3. 2005..This may cause a suboptimal peak bone mass and thereby susceptibility to osteoporosis at an early age...
- Oxandrolone does not improve outcome of ventilator dependent surgical patientsEileen M Bulger
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle 98104, USA
Ann Surg 240:472-8; discussion 478-80. 2004..b>Oxandrolone is an anabolic steroid that attenuates loss of lean body mass and improves wound healing in burn patients...
- Screening of anabolic steroids in horse urine by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryNola H Yu
Racing Laboratory, The Hong Kong Jockey Club, Sha Tin Racecourse, Sha Tin, N T, Hong Kong, PR China
J Pharm Biomed Anal 37:1031-8. 2005..gestrinone, methandrostenolone, methenolone, 17alpha-methyltestosterone, norbolethone, normethandrolone, oxandrolone, stenbolone, trenbolone and turinabol) at low ng/mL levels were consistently detected...
- Recombinant human growth hormone for treating burns and donor sitesRoelf S Breederveld
Surgery and Burn Centre, Red Cross Hospital, Beverwijk, Netherlands
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 12:CD008990. 2012..This change in protein metabolism correlates with poor wound healing of the burn and donor sites...
- Alcoholic hepatitis: a clinician's guideGina Choi
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90043, USA
Clin Liver Dis 16:371-85. 2012..Typically patients have a background of drinking on a daily basis, but, in response to a life crisis, patients have started drinking massively...
- Update on treatment of inclusion body myositisMaren Breithaupt
Department of Neurology, University Medical Centre Göttingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Curr Rheumatol Rep 15:329. 2013..Different treatment studies with drugs that aim at degenerative disease mechanisms are planned or ongoing. This review aims to provide an overview of the current treatment options for IBM...
- The effect of oxandrolone treatment on human osteoblastic cellsLian Xiang Bi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
J Burns Wounds 6:e4. 2007b>Oxandrolone, administered to severely burned children over the first year postburn, produces increased lean body mass by 6 months; however, an increase in total body bone mineral requires 12 months...
- Growth hormone therapy in Turner syndromeMarsha L Davenport
Department of Pediatrics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7032, USA
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 9:723-4. 2012..Recently, randomized, controlled studies have demonstrated that adjunctive therapies with low-dose estrogen or low-dose oxandrolone enhance stature further. These therapies may provide benefits beyond height augmentation.
- Oxandrolone Improves Height Velocity and BMI in Patients with Cystic FibrosisTodd Varness
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, H4 4 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792 4108, USA
Int J Pediatr Endocrinol 2009:826895. 2009Objective. To evaluate the effectiveness of oxandrolone in improving the nutritional status and linear growth of pediatric patients with cystic fibrosis (CF). Methods...
- Novel treatment for muscle disease: Fueling the pipeline and finding the productROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pediatric Heart Network University of UtahRICHARD VINCENT WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Oxandrolone is an anabolic steroid that has been in routine clinical use for over 30 years...
- ANABOLIC HORMONES IN NUTRITION SUPPORTThomas Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 1999..anabolic growth factors (including growth hormone and IGF-1) and anabolic steroids (including testosterone and oxandrolone) as agents to improve lean body mass, muscle function, wound healing and other important clinical endpoints...
- Physiological Adaptations to Exercise in Burned ChildrenOscar Suman; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3 will assess whether administration of an anabolic agent (oxandrolone) to burned children will further enhance the effects of exercise on CV and skeletal muscle functional capacity...
- OXANDROLONE FOR THE TREATMENT OF MARROW APLASIA IN FANC*FRANKLIN SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Muscle Perfusion and Protein Metabolism in ElderlyMelinda Sheffield Moore; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from these studies will provide evidence as to the regulatory role of increased muscle perfusion, amino acid supplementation and aerobic exercise as means of improving skeletal muscle protein synthesis in the elderly. ..
- ANDROGEN EFFECTS ON COGNITION IN TURNER SYNDROMEJudith Ross; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, these data will help determine how to optimize cognitive function in Turner syndrome and will extend knowledge of the mechanisms of male/female cognitive dimorphisms. ..
- Androgen effect on motor/cognitive outcome in Klinefelter syndromeJudith L Ross; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Phase I study will establish that the androgen oxandrolone, an FDA-approved medication for children, is also safe in prepubertal KS boys...
- GENETICS OF COGNITION IN ADULT TURNER SYNDROMEJudith Ross; Fiscal Year: 2005..Characterization of specific TS causative genes would provide insight into the pathophysiology of 45,X, Turner syndrome, as well as the process of normal neurocognitive development. ..
- Hypertonic Modulation of Inflammation following InjuryEileen M Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies will provide valuable information to determine the ultimate therapeutic use of the resuscitation strategy. ..
- Dichlorphenamide vs Acetazolamide for Periodic ParalysisRobert C Griggs; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Experimental Therapeutics of Neuromuscular DiseaseROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Designs and Outcome Measures for Bench to Bedside Research on NMDROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this effort to provide new treatments for neuromuscular disease, this conference will help to further public health goals. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Yoga for the Management of HIV-Metabolic SyndromesKevin Yarasheski; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- METABOLIC EFFECTS OF PROTEASE INHIBITORS IN HIV DISEASEKathleen Mulligan; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Characterizing the HIV-Muscle Mitochondrial ProtemeKevin Yarasheski; Fiscal Year: 2006..To accomplish this, we will take advantage of the expertise and the wide variety of high resolution mass spectrometry instrumentation available at Washington University. ..
- Plan forTrial to find Optimum Steroid Regimen in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Nervous System Channelopathies: Pathogenesis & TreatmentROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2005..They may also offer a window for understanding common disorders likely to be caused by CNS channel mutations/dysfunction such as migraine and epilepsy. ..
- Pathogenesis and treatment of the periodic paralysesROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- The Effect of Hypertonic Resuscitation for Blunt TraumaEileen Bulger; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..