Genomes and Genes
Summary: A metabolite of TESTOSTERONE or ANDROSTENEDIONE with a 3-alpha-hydroxyl group and without the double bond. The 3-beta hydroxyl isomer is epiandrosterone.
Publications211 found, 100 shown here
- Identifying androsterone (ADT) as a cognate substrate for human dehydroepiandrosterone sulfotransferase (DHEA-ST) important for steroid homeostasis: structure of the enzyme-ADT complexHo Jin Chang
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Laboratory, CHUL Research Center and Laval University, Sainte Foy, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:2689-96. 2004..b>Androsterone sulfate is clinically recognized as one of the major androgen metabolites found in urine...
- Androstenedione metabolism in human alveolar macrophagesL Milewich
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 56:920-4. 1983..convert [3H]androstenedione to 5 alpha-androstane-3,17-dione, testosterone, 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone, androsterone, and isoandrosterone. Unidentified polar metabolites also were formed...
- Steroid metabolism and profile of steroidogenic gene expression in Episkin: high similarity with human epidermisVan Luu-The
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology, Laval University Hospital Research Center CRCHUL and Laval University, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 107:30-6. 2007..2%), 4-dione (1.3%), 5-androstenediol (1.3%), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (1.4%) and androsterone (ADT) (2.3%)...
- Detection of quantitative trait loci for androstenone, skatole and boar taint in a cross between Large White and Meishan pigsG J Lee
Roslin Institute, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9PS, UK
Anim Genet 36:14-22. 2005..This locus on chromosome 14 has considerable potential for use to reduce the incidence of boar taint, especially if further research can identify the causative polymorphism or strongly associated markers...
- A genome-wide association study on androstenone levels in pigs reveals a cluster of candidate genes on chromosome 6Naomi Duijvesteijn
IPG, Institute for Pig Genetics B V, PO Box 43, 6640AA, Beuningen, The Netherlands
BMC Genet 11:42. 2010..The identification of major genetic effects causing boar taint would accelerate the reduction of boar taint through breeding to finally eliminate the need for castration...
- 16alpha-bromoepiandrosterone, an antimalarial analogue of the hormone dehydroepiandrosterone, enhances phagocytosis of ring stage parasitized erythrocytes: a novel mechanism for antimalarial activityKodjo Ayi
Department of Genetics, Biology and Biochemistry, University of Torino Medical School, Torino, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:3180-4. 2002..We propose that enhanced ring phagocytosis due to exposure of negatively charged membrane phospholipids may explain the antimalarial activity of EPI...
- 16alpha-Bromoepiandrosterone restores T helper cell type 1 activity and accelerates chemotherapy-induced bacterial clearance in a model of progressive pulmonary tuberculosisRogelio Hernandez-Pando
Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
J Infect Dis 191:299-306. 2005..Moreover, when given as an adjunct to conventional chemotherapy, EpiBr enhanced bacterial clearance. Trials for the use of EpiBr in the treatment of human tuberculosis are now justified...
- Gene expression profiles in liver of pigs with extreme high and low levels of androstenoneMaren Moe
The Norwegian Pig Breeders Association NORSVIN, Hamar, Norway
BMC Vet Res 4:29. 2008..In this study, microarrays were used to identify differentially expressed genes and pathways related to androstenone metabolism in the liver from boars with extreme levels of androstenone in adipose tissue...
- Contributions of active site residues to cofactor binding and catalysis of 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductaseYi Hsun Chang
Graduate Institute of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:235-41. 20103alpha-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase reversely catalyzes the oxidation of androsterone with NAD(+) to form androstanedione and NADH...
- Gene expression of 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in relation to androstenone, testosterone, and estrone sulphate in gonadally intact male and castrated pigsG Chen
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, PO Box 7051, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
J Anim Sci 85:2457-63. 2007..Another strong correlation was found between 3betaHSD and 17betaHSD gene expression in liver of the gonadally intact male pigs (r = 0.86; P < 0.01), possibly reflecting similar regulation mechanisms of these genes...
- Maternal urine and serum steroid measurements to identify steroid sulfatase deficiency (STSD) in second trimester pregnanciesJosep Marcos
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA, USA
Prenat Diagn 29:771-80. 2009..To document the performance of second trimester maternal urine and serum steroid measurements for detecting fetal steroid sulfatase deficiency (STSD)...
- Mechanism of proton transfer in the 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroniYi Hsun Chang
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shih Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 282:34306-14. 20073alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroni catalyzes the oxidation of androsterone with NAD(+) to form androstanedione and NADH with a concomitant releasing of protons to bulk solvent...
- Characterisation of androstenone metabolism in pig liver microsomesElena Doran
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, School of Veterinary Sciences, University of Bristol, Langford, Bristol BS40 5DU, UK
Chem Biol Interact 147:141-9. 2004..The differential expression of this enzyme could be a factor affecting the rate of hepatic androstenone metabolism which in turn may influence the level of hepatic CYP2E1 expression and hence the rate of hepatic skatole metabolism...
- Glucuronidation of the steroid enantiomers ent-17β-estradiol, ent-androsterone and ent-etiocholanolone by the human UDP-glucuronosyltransferasesNina Sneitz
Centre for Drug Research, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 127:282-8. 2011..We have now studied the glucuronidation of the enantiomers of estradiol, androsterone and etiocholanolone by the 19 human UGTs of subfamilies 1A, 2A and 2B...
- Improvement in immune parameters and human immunodeficiency virus-1 viral response in individuals treated with 16alpha-bromoepiandrosterone (HE2000)C Reading
Hollis Eden Pharmaceuticals Inc, San Diego, CA, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:1082-8. 2006..03). These findings suggest that immune-based therapies may be able to impact viral load by decreasing inflammation and/or stimulating CD8 T-cells...
- The nuclear hormone receptor farnesoid X receptor (FXR) is activated by androsteroneShuguang Wang
Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease Research, Wyeth Research, 500 Arcola Road, Collegeville, Pennsylvania 19426, USA
Endocrinology 147:4025-33. 2006Farnesoid X receptor (FXR) uses bile acids as endogenous ligands. Here, we demonstrate that androsterone, a metabolic product of testosterone, is also an FXR ligand...
- Glucuronidation of dihydrotestosterone and trans-androsterone by recombinant UDP-glucuronosyltransferase (UGT) 1A4: evidence for multiple UGT1A4 aglycone binding sitesJin Zhou
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 38:431-40. 2010..To this end, two positional isomers, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and trans-androsterone (t-AND), were used as probe substrates, and their glucuronidation kinetics with HEK293-expressed UGT1A4 were ..
- Reduction of parasite levels in patients with uncomplicated malaria by treatment with HE2000James M Frincke
Hollis Eden Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, California 92121, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:232-6. 2007..HE2000 shows a safety profile and pharmacologic activity worthy of further investigation to understand its role in the treatment of malaria, perhaps in combination with anti-malarial agents...
- 16alpha-Bromo-epiandrosterone therapy modulates experimental feline immunodeficiency virus viremia: initial enhancement leading to long-term suppressionNiels C Pedersen
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 94:133-48. 2003....
- Safety and activity of the immune modulator HE2000 on the incidence of tuberculosis and other opportunistic infections in AIDS patientsDwight R Stickney
Hollis Eden Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 4435 Eastgate Mall, Suite 400, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2639-41. 2007..2% (P < 0.05) and the cumulative incidence of opportunistic infections (P < 0.05). These results warrant further clinical investigation of HE2000...
- Cytochrome P450IIE1 (CYP2E1) is induced by skatole and this induction is blocked by androstenone in isolated pig hepatocytesElena Doran
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Walk, UK
Chem Biol Interact 140:81-92. 2002..As a result, skatole metabolism is reduced and skatole is accumulated in adipose tissue...
- Evidence for peripheral plasticity in human odour responseLiwei Wang
School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff CF10 3US, UK
J Physiol 554:236-44. 2004..These observations support the existence of odourant-specific plasticity in the peripheral olfactory system...
- Anticonvulsant activity of androsterone and etiocholanoloneRafal M Kaminski
Epilepsy Research Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 3702, USA
Epilepsia 46:819-27. 2005..Levels of the major metabolites of testosterone-androsterone (5alpha-androstan-3alpha-ol-17-one; 5alpha,3alpha-A), a neurosteroid that acts as a positive allosteric ..
- Prenatal diagnosis of P450 oxidoreductase deficiency (ORD): a disorder causing low pregnancy estriol, maternal and fetal virilization, and the Antley-Bixler syndrome phenotypeCedric Shackleton
Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Am J Med Genet A 129:105-12. 2004..Interestingly, excretion of the androgen metabolite androsterone increased rapidly at the beginning of pregnancy and peaked around the 20th week, suggesting increased ..
- Determination of sulfates of androsterone and epiandrosterone in human serum using isotope diluted liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization-mass spectrometryKuniko Mitamura
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kakuma machi, Kanazawa 920 1192, Japan
Biomed Chromatogr 19:796-801. 2005..ionization-mass spectrometry (LC-ESI-MS) for analysis of the sulfates of 5alpha-androgen, androsterone and epiandrosterone (A-S and EpiA-S) in human serum was developed...
- 16alpha-bromoepiandrosterone, a dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) analogue, inhibits Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium berghei growthD Freilich
Infectious Diseases Division, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, California 92134 5000, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 63:280-3. 2000..05). These data demonstrate that alpha-epi-Br shows activity against CQ-sensitive and resistant strains of P. falciparum in vitro. At the doses tested against P. berghei in vivo in rats, alpha-epi-Br is comparable to CQ...
- Effect of testicular steroids on catalytic activities of cytochrome P450 enzymes in porcine liver microsomesG Zamaratskaia
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 7051, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Food Chem Toxicol 45:676-81. 2007..Overall, our findings indicate that A and E2 have the potential to modify the catalytic activities of porcine CYP2E1 in vitro. However, the significance of this modification for skatole metabolism in vivo is questionable...
- Norwegian consumers' acceptability of boar tainted meat with different levels of androstenone or skatole as related to their androstenone sensitivityK Lunde
Norwegian Meat Research Centre, Lørenveien 38, P O Box 396 Økern, 0513 Oslo, Norway
Meat Sci 86:706-11. 2010..The same consumer's differentiated skatole samples with regard to flavour at 0.15 ppm. The Norwegian established practise with a threshold value of 0.21 ppm skatole is higher than the value accepted by the consumers...
- Interaction of androsterone and progesterone with inhibitory ligand-gated ion channels: a patch clamp studyElke Ziegler
Department of Neurology, Medical University Hannover, 30625 Hanover, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 380:277-91. 2009..The aim of the study was to characterize the effect of androsterone and progesterone on alpha(1) and alpha(1)beta glycine receptor and alpha(1)beta(2)gamma(2) GABA(A) receptor ..
- Relationship between the expression of hepatic but not testicular 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase with androstenone deposition in pig adipose tissueS I Nicolau-Solano
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford, Bristol, BS40 5DU, UK
J Anim Sci 84:2809-17. 2006....
- 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type XI localizes to human steroidogenic cellsZhonglin Chai
Baker Heart Research Institute, Melbourne, Victoria 8008, Australia
Endocrinology 144:2084-91. 2003..This enzyme converts 5 alpha-androstane-3 alpha, 17 beta-diol to androsterone. The substrate has been implicated in supporting gestation and modulating gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor ..
- Detection of quantitative trait loci for fat androstenone levels in pigsR Quintanilla
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France
J Anim Sci 81:385-94. 2003..No mutation of coding sequence has been found for CYP21. Involvement of a candidate regulatory mutation of CYP11A gene proposed by others can be excluded in our animals...
- Boar taint is related to endocrine and anatomical changes at puberty but not to aggressive behaviour in entire male pigsG Zamaratskaia
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Reprod Domest Anim 40:500-6. 2005..High androstenone levels could not be predicted by measuring reproductive organ sizes. More research is required to develop a rapid and accurate method for the analysis of carcasses of entire male pigs...
- Androsterone 3alpha-ether-3beta-substituted and androsterone 3beta-substituted derivatives as inhibitors of type 3 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase: chemical synthesis and structure-activity relationshipBéatrice Tchédam Ngatcha
Medicinal Chemistry Division, Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, CHUQ Pavillon CHUL and Université Laval, 2705 Boulevard Laurier, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
J Med Chem 48:5257-68. 2005..To produce potent inhibitors of this key steroidogenic enzyme, we prepared a series of androsterone (ADT) derivatives by adding a variety of substituents at position 3...
- Genetic and metabolic aspects of androstenone and skatole deposition in pig adipose tissue: a reviewAnnie Robic
INRA, UMR 444 de Génétique cellulaire, BP52627, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Genet Sel Evol 40:129-43. 2008..This suggests that genes affecting androstenone and skatole levels will have to be sought for among specific or non-specific transcription factors interacting with these target genes...
- Production rates of cortisol in obesityHeinrich Vierhapper
Clinical Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Wien, Austria
Obes Res 12:1421-5. 2004..To determine the metabolic clearance rates (MCRs) and endogenous production rates (PRs) of cortisol (F) in grades 2 and 3 obese men (n = 9) and women (n = 6)...
- Expression of 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, cytochrome P450-c17, and sulfotransferase 2B1 proteins in liver and testis of pigs of two breeds: relationship with adipose tissue androstenone concentrationM Moe
Norsvin, PO Box 504, 2304 Hamar, Norway
J Anim Sci 85:2924-31. 2007....
- Isotopic fractionation of endogenous anabolic androgenic steroids and its relationship to doping control in sportsAdam T Cawley
Research Chemist, Australian Sports Drug Testing Laboratory, National Measurement Institute, 1 Suakin Street, Pymble, NSW 2073, Australia
J Chromatogr Sci 43:32-8. 2005..DHEA, 100 mg) to a male subject significantly lowers the 13C content of etiocholanolone (Et) and androsterone (A) in the subject's urine...
- Urinary excretion of steroid metabolites after chronic androstenedione ingestionGregory A Brown
Exercise Biochemistry Laboratory, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:6235-8. 2004..i.d. or placebo for 28 d. Urine samples were analyzed for testosterone, epitestosterone, androsterone, and etiocholanolone via HPLC/tandem mass spectrometry on d 0 and 28...
- Endogenous urinary steroids in premenopausal women with uterine leiomyomasB H Jung
Bioanalysis and Biotransformation Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Cheongryang, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 84:55-60. 2004..To study the effect of endogenous steroids on the presence of uterine leiomyomas...
- Urinary steroid excretion rates in acromegalyH Vierhapper
Clinical Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine III, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Horm Res 63:234-7. 2005..Furthermore, the preponderance of etiocholanolone over androsterone (p < 0...
- Human 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 5 is inhibited by dietary flavonoidsA Krazeisen
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute for Experimental Genetics, Genome Analysis Center, Neuherberg, Germany
Adv Exp Med Biol 505:151-61. 2002..Among flavones, inhibitor potency is enhanced with increased degree of hydroxylation. The most effective inhibitors seem to bind to the hydrophilic cofactor binding pocket of the enzyme...
- Pitfalls in trimethylsilylation of anabolic steroids. New derivatisation approach for residue at ultra-trace levelVéronique Meunier-Solère
Laboratoire d Etude des Résidus et Contaminants dans les Aliments LABERCA Ecole Nationale Vétérinaire de Nantes, BP 50707, 44307 Nantes Cedex 3, France
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 816:281-8. 2005..Quantitative application was proved even at the low ng kg(-1) level in a complex biological matrices, i.e. kidney fat...
- [Detection of the metabolites of dehydroepiandrosterone in urine with gas chromatography-combustion-isotope ratio mass spectrometry]Jing zhu Wang
National Research Institute of Sports Medicine, Beijing 100029, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 40:159-63. 2005..To establish a method to determine the isotope ratios of 13C to 12C of dehydroepiandrosterone and its metabolites in urine, for detecting the source of dehydroepiandrosterone or its metabolites...
- Androgens induce relaxation of contractile activity in pregnant human myometrium at term: a nongenomic action on L-type calcium channelsMercedes Perusquía
Departamento de Biologia Celular y Fisiologia, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico
Biol Reprod 73:214-21. 2005..Each androgen tested (dehydroepiandrosterone, testosterone, 5alpha- and 5beta-dihydrotestosterone, androsterone, or androstanediol) caused a concentration-dependent inhibition of spontaneous contractile activity; a relaxing ..
- The association of serum androsterone glucuronide with inflammatory lesions in women with adult acneE Carmina
Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Palermo, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 25:765-8. 2002Serum androsterone glucuronide (AoG) is a metabolite of circulating androgens under the influence of 5alpha-reductase activity and has been shown to be particularly elevated in women with acne...
- Urinary steroids in men with male-pattern alopeciaV Poór
Central Research Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, Pecs University Medical School, 12Szigeti út, 1Honvéd u H 7643 Pécs, Hungary
J Biochem Biophys Methods 53:123-30. 2002..Significantly increased values were found in the metabolites of testosterone (T): androsterone (A) (p<0.02), and etiocholanolone (E) (p<0...
- Testosterone rapidly reduces anxiety in male house mice (Mus musculus)Jeremy L Aikey
Department of Biological Sciences, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015, USA
Horm Behav 42:448-60. 2002..In Experiments 5 and 6, 3alpha,5alpha-reduced neurosteroid metabolites of testosterone (androsterone and 3alpha-androstandione) were both anxiolytic at a lower dosage (100 microg/sc injection) than testosterone, ..
- Immunization against 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol affects ovarian folliculogenesis in Merino ewesMasa Tetsuka
Department of Wool and Animal Science, The University of New South Wales, P O Box 1, Kensington, Australia
Theriogenology 60:307-17. 2003..androstenedione (A(4)), testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT), 5alpha-androstane-3alpha-ol,17beta-one (androsterone: 3alpha-ol) and 3alpha-diol were determined by RIA...
- Urinary marker of oral pregnenolone administrationChristophe Saudan
Laboratoire Suisse d Analyse du Dopage, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Rue du Bugnon 21, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Steroids 70:179-83. 2005..hormone (T/LH) ratios, whereas variable changes on the carbon isotopic values of three T metabolites: androsterone, etiocholanolone, 5beta-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol (5beta-androstanediol) together with 16(5alpha)-androsten-..
- Neurosteroids: metabolism in human intestine microsomesSonia Chalbot
Laboratoire de Biotechnologie, EA 3199, Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers, 2 rue Conté, 75003 Paris, France
Steroids 70:319-26. 2005..The incubation conditions used produced these metabolites in low but significant yields that suggest their presence in the portal blood before access to the liver...
- Chronic effects of dehydroepiandrosterone on rat adipose tissue metabolismP Mauriege
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, and the Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Laval University, Ste Foy, Quebec, Canada
Metabolism 52:264-72. 2003..05). Plasma testosterone, androsterone, androstenedione, and androstenediol levels were also significantly increased in both intact-DHEA and OVX-DHEA ..
- Detection of epitestosterone doping by isotope ratio mass spectrometryRodrigo Aguilera
UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory, Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90025 6106, USA
Clin Chem 48:629-36. 2002..A definitive method for detecting epitestosterone administration is needed...
- delta13C-values of endogenous urinary steroidsUlrich Flenker
Institute of Biochemistry, German Sport University Cologne, Carl Diem Weg 6, 50933 Cologne, Germany
Steroids 73:408-16. 2008..The analytes encompassed androsterone (A), etiocholanolone (E), 11beta-hydroxyetiocholanolone (OHE), 11beta-hydroxyandrosterone (OHA), and 5beta-..
- Genetic and endocrine studies of the pregnancy-blocking pheromone of miceP C Hoppe
J Reprod Fertil 45:109-15. 1975..Injection of epiandrosterone, androstenedione, androsterone or testosterone significantly increased pheromone secretion in SJL females, but progesterone and ..
- Isolation and quantification by high-performance liquid chromatography-ion-trap mass spectrometry of androgen sulfoconjugates in human urineEmmanuel Strahm
Laboratoire Suisse d Analyse du Dopage, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Chemin des Croisettes 22, 1066 Epalinges, Vaud, Switzerland
J Chromatogr A 1196:153-60. 2008..and quantification of sulfate and glucuronide derivatives of testosterone (T), epitestosterone (E), androsterone (A), etiocholanolone (Etio) and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in human urine...
- Long-term effect of vaccination against gonadotropin-releasing hormone, using Improvac, on hormonal profile and behaviour of male pigsGalia Zamaratskaia
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala SE 750 07, Sweden
Anim Reprod Sci 108:37-48. 2008..It shows that Improvac may have an extended effect compared with that currently implied by the directions for use...
- Detection of dehydroepiandrosterone and androsterone in a traditional Chinese herbal productPeng Zou
Centre for Analytical Science, Health Sciences Authority, 11 Outram Road, Singapore
Food Addit Contam 24:1326-33. 2007Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and androsterone (ADT) were detected in a traditional Chinese herbal product by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS)...
- Expression of transcripts encoding steroid UDP-glucuronosyltransferases in human prostate hyperplastic tissue and the LNCaP cell lineG Belanger
MRC Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 113:165-73. 1995..in culture indicate the presence of UGT activities involved in the glucuronidation of 3alpha-hydroxysteroids (androsterone) and 17beta-hydroxysteroids (testosterone and dihydrotestosterone)...
- Short term impact of Tribulus terrestris intake on doping control analysis of endogenous steroidsChristophe Saudan
Swiss Laboratory for Doping Analyses, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois and University of Lausanne, Chemin des Croisettes 22, 1066 Epalinges, Switzerland
Forensic Sci Int 178:e7-10. 2008..None of these parameters revealed a significant variation or increased above the WADA cut-off limits. Hence, the short-term treatment with T. terrestris showed no impact on the endogenous testosterone metabolism of the two subjects...
- Evidence for the participation of calcium in non-genomic relaxations induced by androgenic steroids in rat vas deferensS S L Lafayette
Department of Pharmacology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 153:1242-50. 2008..Androgens cause non-genomic relaxation in several smooth muscle preparations. However, such an effect has not been investigated in rat vas deferens yet. Our purpose was to study the effect of testosterone and derivatives in this tissue...
- The influence of boar pheromones on the contractile reactivity of the isolated superficial veins of the nose and face in ovariectomized prepubertal gilts and in gilts during sexual maturationW J Grzegorzewski
Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Pathophysiology, Department of Local Physiological Regulations, Tuwima 10, 10 747 Olsztyn, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 9:127-33. 2006..This reactivity was displayed by the vessels in prepubertal gilts without ovarian hormones. The presence of active ovaries in maturing gilts changed the reactivity of these veins to pheromones and testosterone...
- The effect of isoflavone extract ingestion, as Trinovin, on plasma steroids in normal menJohn G Lewis
Steroid and Immunobiochemistry Laboratory, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Steroids 67:25-9. 2002Plasma testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, androsterone and epiandrosterone sulfates, cortisol and sex hormone binding globulin were measured in six adult men before and during daily ..
- Effects of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) extract on plasma androgen concentrations in healthy men and women: a pilot studyJennifer L Donovan
Laboratory of Drug Disposition and Pharmacogenetics, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, North Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Phytother Res 19:901-6. 2005..dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and the combined concentrations of androsterone sulfate (AoS) and epiandrosterone sulfate (epiAoS) were measured by immunoassay methods...
- Isolation, sequence, and developmental expression of rat UGT2B2: the gene encoding a constitutive UDP glucuronosyltransferase that metabolizes etiocholanolone and androsteroneS J Haque
Laboratory of Developmental Pharmacology, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892
DNA Cell Biol 10:515-24. 1991..has been shown to conjugate glucuronic acid with various endogenous steroids, especially etiocholanolone and androsterone. We have cloned and sequenced much of the UGT2B2 gene and 5'-flanking (247 bp) and 3'-flanking (734 bp) regions...
- Pan1b (17betaHSD11)-enzymatic activity and distribution in the lungP Brereton
Molecular Hypertension Laboratory, Baker Medical Research Institute, PO Box 6492, 8008, Melbourne, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 171:111-7. 2001..Although 3alpha-Diol is generally considered a degradation product of androgen metabolism it could have its own biological function. Pan1b may be an important modulator of the endocrine, or intracrine activity of this steroid...
- Monoamines and neurosteroids in sexual function during induced hypogonadism in healthy menMiki Bloch
Behavioral Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 63:450-6. 2006..Although the behavioral effects of high-dose androgen administration may involve alterations in serotonergic activity, few studies have investigated the impact of androgen withdrawal on the central nervous system in humans...
- Suppression of adrenal function by low-dose prednisone: assessment with 24-hour urinary steroid hormone profiles--a review of five casesPatrick N Friel
Washington State Toxicology Laboratory, 2203 Airport Way South, Seattle, WA 98134, USA
Altern Med Rev 11:40-6. 2006..03), while the downstream androgen metabolites androsterone and etiocholanolone were suppressed to a lesser extent...
- Urine steroid hormone profile analysis in cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase deficiency: implication for the backdoor pathway to dihydrotestosteroneKeiko Homma
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, National Research Institute for Child Health and Development, 2 10 1 Ohkura, Setagaya, Tokyo 157 8535, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2643-9. 2006..Although the "backdoor" pathway to dihydrotestosterone has been postulated in the fetal-to-early-infantile period of patients with cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase deficiency (PORD), clinical data in support of this pathway remain limited...
- Isolation and characterization of the UGT2B28 cDNA encoding a novel human steroid conjugating UDP-glucuronosyltransferaseE Levesque
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, CHUL Research Center, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Biochemistry 40:3869-81. 2001..However, all the domains remain necessary for observing glucuronidation activity. The expression of UGT2B28 type I in the breast and liver suggests a role of this enzyme in the androgen and estrogen metabolism in these tissues...
- Synthesis and analytics of 2,2,3,4,4-d5-19-nor-5alpha-androsterone--an internal standard in doping analysisPeter Gaertner
Institute of Applied Synthetic Chemistry, Vienna University of Technology, Getreidemarkt 9 163, A 1060 Vienna, Austria
Steroids 72:429-36. 2007A short and efficient synthesis of pentadeuterated 2,2,3,4,4-d5-19-nor-5alpha-androsterone 7 starting from 19-norandrost-4-ene-3,17-dione 1 by a d1-L-Selectride mediated stereo- and regioselective reduction of the 3-keto group is ..
- Increased intrafollicular androgen levels affect human granulosa cell secretion of anti-Müllerian hormone and inhibin-BClaus Yding Andersen
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Fertil Steril 89:1760-5. 2008....
- Steroid sulfation by expressed human cytosolic sulfotransferasesC N Falany
Department of Pharmacology, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 48:369-75. 1994..The 3-hydroxysteroids, androsterone, epiandrosterone and androstenediol, were conjugated at 50-60% of the rate of DHEA...
- Hormones and sexuality during transition to menopauseClarisa R Gracia
Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, Center for Clinical Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:831-40. 2007..To examine the relationship between reproductive hormonal dynamics and sexual dysfunction assessed in a cohort of women approaching menopause...
- Paradoxical effects of beta-estradiol on epidermal permeability barrier homeostasisM Tsutsumi
Shiseido Research Center, 2 12 1 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 8643, Japan
Br J Dermatol 157:776-9. 2007....
- The sexually active states of free-ranging male African elephants (Loxodonta africana): defining musth and non-musth using endocrinology, physical signals, and behaviorAndre Ganswindt
Department of Reproductive Biology, German Primate Centre, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Horm Behav 47:83-91. 2005....
- Olfactory responsiveness to two odorous steroids in three species of nonhuman primatesMatthias Laska
Department of Medical Psychology, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Chem Senses 30:505-11. 2005....
- The influence of boar pheromones on the vasoreactivity of the facial superficial veins in ovariectomized and estradiol-treated pubertal giltsW J Grzegorzewski
Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Pathophysiology, Department of Local Physiological Regulations, Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Tuwima 10, 10 747 Olsztyn, Poland
Pol J Vet Sci 9:219-25. 2006....
- Human fetal adrenal hydroxysteroid sulphotransferase: cDNA cloning, stable expression in V79 cells and functional characterisation of the expressed enzymeK J Forbes
Department of Biochemical Medicine, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Scotland, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 112:53-60. 1995..liver cytosol we have shown that HST is the major sulphotransferase responsible for the sulphation of DHEA, androsterone and pregnenolone in man and that, functionally, the hepatic and adrenal enzymes are very similar...
- Altered cortisol metabolism in polycystic ovary syndrome: insulin enhances 5alpha-reduction but not the elevated adrenal steroid production ratesTasoula Tsilchorozidou
Departments of Endocrinology and Chemical Biochemistry, University College London Hospitals, London W1T 3AA, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:5907-13. 2003..Urinary excretion of androgens [androsterone (P = 0.003), etiocholanolone (P = 0.02), and C19 steroid sulfates (P = 0...
- Relationship between urinary profile of the endogenous steroids and postmenopausal women with stress urinary incontinenceS W Bai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Neurourol Urodyn 22:198-205. 2003....
- Specific interactions of progestins and anti-progestins with progesterone antibodies, plasma binding proteins and the human recombinant receptorD E Mais
Department of Pharmacology, Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 54:63-9. 1995..RU486), ZK98,734, Onapristone (ZK98,299), 11 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone, 11 alpha-progesterone hemisuccinate, androsterone, etiocholanolone, 5 alpha- and 5 beta-pregnane-3,20-diones, and 20 alpha- and 20 beta-hydroxyprogesterones...
- Genetic susceptibility for C19 androgen induction of ovarian granulosa cell tumorigenesis in SWXJ strains of miceB J Tennent
Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609
Cancer Res 53:1059-63. 1993..The spontaneous strain showed increased GC tumor frequency in response to dihydrotestosterone and androsterone treatment, whereas the DHEA-dependent strain showed no response...
- Trace analysis of androgens and progestogens in environmental waters by ultra-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometryHong Chang
College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
J Chromatogr A 1195:44-51. 2008..silica cartridge cleanup, was established for nine androgens (androstenedione, 19-nor-4-androstene-3,17-diol, androsterone, epiandrosterone, testosterone, methyltestosterone, trenbolone, nandrolone, stanozolol) and nine progestogens (..
- Steroid profile for urine: reference valuesC W Weykamp
Streekziekenhuis Koningin Beatrix, Winterswijk, The Netherlands
Clin Chem 35:2281-4. 1989..Reference values, expressed in mumol/24 h, were determined for androsterone, etiocholanolone, dehydroepiandrosterone, 11-keto-androsterone, 11-keto-etiocholanolone, 11-hydroxyandrosterone,..
- Cloning and expression of human liver UDP-glucuronosyltransferase in COS-1 cells. 3,4-catechol estrogens and estriol as primary substratesJ K Ritter
Section on Drug Biotransformation, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 265:7900-6. 1990..no glucuronidation of either the primary estrogens/androgens (estrone, 17 beta-estradiol/testosterone, androsterone) or any of the exogenous substrates tested...
- Fecal progesterone, estrogen, and androgen metabolites for noninvasive monitoring of reproductive function in the female Indian rhinoceros, Rhinoceros unicornisF Schwarzenberger
Institut für Biochemie und Ludwig Boltzmann Institut für Veterinärmedizinische Endokrinologie, Veterinarmedizinische Universitat, A 1210 Vienna, Austria
Gen Comp Endocrinol 119:300-7. 2000..Pregnane metabolites were reliable indicators of the corpus luteum and pregnancy, whereas fecal 17-oxo-androstanes and estrogens were indicators of the follicular phase...
- Reproducibility of serum sex steroid assays in men by RIA and mass spectrometryAnn W Hsing
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, EPS 5024, MSC 7234, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Bethesda, MD 20852 7234, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1004-8. 2007..estrone, and estradiol, were measured by GC-MS, whereas conjugated hormones, including DHEA sulfate, androsterone glucuronide, 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol 3-glucuronide, 5alpha-androstane-3alpha,17beta-diol 17-..
- Steroid sulfotransferasesV Luu-The
Medical Research Council Group in Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Quebec, Canada
J Endocrinol 150:S87-97. 1996..sulfotransferase (DHEA-ST) catalyzes the sulfonation of DHEA, cholesterol, pregnenolone as well as androsterone. RNA blot analysis shows two DHEA-ST mRNA species of 1.3 and 1...
- Isotope ratio mass spectrometry analysis of the oxidation products of the main and minor metabolites of hydrocortisone and cortisone for antidoping controlsC Buisson
Afld, Département des Analyses, 143, avenue Roger Salengro, 92290 Chatenay Malabry, France
Steroids 74:393-7. 2009..and 11-ketoetiocholanolone for the minor metabolites, as well as the two main metabolites of testosterone, androsterone and etiocholanolone, were separated from each other using HPLC fractionation of urine extracts...
- Determination of anabolic steroids in human urine by automated in-tube solid-phase microextraction coupled with liquid chromatography-mass spectrometryKeita Saito
School of Pharmacy, Shujitsu University, Nishigawara, Okayama 703 8516, Japan
J Pharm Biomed Anal 52:727-33. 2010..presence of seven anabolic steroids (boldenone, nandrolone, testosterone, methyltestosterone, epiandrosterone, androsterone, and atnozolol) in human urine...
- Toxicity of xanthene food dyes by inhibition of human drug-metabolizing enzymes in a noncompetitive mannerTakaharu Mizutani
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, Nagoya 467 8603, Japan
J Environ Public Health 2009:953952. 2009..ET inhibited UGT1A6 (glucuronidation of p-nitrophenol) and UGT2B7 (glucuronidation of androsterone). We showed the inhibitory effect of xanthene dye on human UGT1A6 activity...
- Occurrence of androgens and progestogens in wastewater treatment plants and receiving river waters: comparison to estrogensHong Chang
Laboratory for Earth Surface Processes, College of Urban and Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
Water Res 45:732-40. 2011..Androgens contributed 96% of the total hormone concentrations in all WWTP influents, with natural androgen (androsterone: 2977±739 ng/L; epiandrosterone: 640±263 ng/L; and androstenedione: 270±132 ng/L) being the predominant ..
- Detection of dehydroepiandrosterone misuse by means of gas chromatography- combustion-isotope ratio mass spectrometryUte Mareck
Institute of Biochemistry, German Sport University Cologne, Carl Diem Weg 6, 50933 Cologne, Germany koeln de
Eur J Mass Spectrom (Chichester, Eng) 13:419-26. 2007..as an adverse analytical finding having 319 ng mL(-1) DHEA (screening result), more than 10,000 ng mL(-1) androsterone and depleted carbon isotope ratio values for the testosterone metabolites androsterone and etiocholanolone...
- [The applications of chiroptical spectroscopy for the determination and the detection of steroids and for the examination of their cyclodextrin-mediated enantioselective solubility]Dávid Szegvári
Semmelweis Egyetem, Gyógyszerészi Kémiai Intézet, Budapest, Hogyes Endre u 9 1092
Acta Pharm Hung 78:45-52. 2008..The separation of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), dehydroepi-androsterone sulfate (DHEA-S) and related steroids was also elaborated by a CD detected HPLC technique...
- Secretory function of adrenal cortex in chronic alcoholisI Feher
Laboratorijska sluzba, Zdravstveni centar Dr Gere Istvan, Senta
Med Pregl 52:221-5. 1999..In regard to healthy subjects, decreased excretion of the sum androsterone and etiocholanole was established as well as increased DHEA secretion in patients with acute viral hepatitis...
- Variations in urine excretion of steroid hormones after an acute session and after a 4-week programme of strength trainingRafael Timón Andrada
Department of Didactics of Musical, Plastic and Corporal Expression, Sport Sciences School, University of Extremadura, Caceres, Spain
Eur J Appl Physiol 99:65-71. 2007..05). The androsterone (A) + etiocholanolone (E)/THE + THF ratio increased significantly (P < 0.05) concerning the initial state...
- Influence of synthetic and natural food dyes on activities of CYP2A6, UGT1A6, and UGT2B7Nayumi Kuno
Department of Drug Metabolism and Disposition, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagoya City University, Nagoya, Japan
J Toxicol Environ Health A 68:1431-44. 2005..CYP2A6 in a noncompetitive manner, while erythrosine B inhibited UGT1A6 (glucuronidation of p-nitrophenol) and UGT2B7 (glucuronidation of androsterone). In the natural additive dyes just listed, only monascus inhibited UGT1A6 and UGT2B7.
- Urine ratio of tetrahydrocortisol to tetrahydrodeoxycortisol to screen for the systemic administration of cortisone and hydrocortisoneNoura Meklat
Département des Analyses, Afld, 92290 Chatenay Malabry, France
Forensic Sci Int 185:e13-7. 2009..of 11-keto-etiocholanolone (11KE) and 11beta-hydroxy-etiocholanolone (11OHE) as target metabolites, and on androsterone (A) as an endogenous reference compound (ERC) for calculating the corresponding delta(13)C (per thousand) ..
- Role of microsomal retinol/sterol dehydrogenase-like short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases in the oxidation and epimerization of 3alpha-hydroxysteroids in human tissuesOlga V Belyaeva
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alabama Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Endocrinology 148:2148-56. 2007Allopregnanolone (ALLO) and androsterone (ADT) are naturally occurring 3alpha-hydroxysteroids that act as positive allosteric regulators of gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptors...
- Mechanistic roles of Ser-114, Tyr-155, and Lys-159 in 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroniChi Ching Hwang
Department of Biochemistry, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 280:3522-8. 2005..3alpha-HSD/CR) from Comamonas testosteroni, a short chain dehydrogenase/reductase, catalyzes the oxidation of androsterone with NAD+ to form androstanedione and NADH...
- INHIBITION OF HIV REPLICATION BY DHEA AND ITS ANALOGSEarl Henderson; Fiscal Year: 1991..DHEA or its synthetic analogs has the potential of being an efficient adjunct therapy with conventional antiviral compounds in treating HIV infection...
- METABOLISM & CONTROL OF TESTOSTERONE ANDROGENS IN MANRichard Horton; Fiscal Year: 1990..3) Another potential precursor is androsterone and its glucuronide. The conversion will be studied using specially synthesized 9,11 3H compounds...
- ANDROGEN GLUCURONIDES AS MARKERS OF ANDROGEN ACTIONDELWOOD COLLINS; Fiscal Year: 1991..the nonradioactive and radioactive forms of testosterone glucuronide, DHT-G, 3 alpha A-17G,3 alpha A-3G and androsterone glucuronide and conjugate them to bovine thyroglobulin...
- Neurosteroids and Smith-Lemli-Optiz SyndromeCedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2005..All studies will require high sensitivity steroid analysis by chemical ionization (CI) GC/MS and HPLC/MS. ..
- Gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer with EI and CICedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., malondialdehyde) and markers of DNA damage (incorporation of uracil). Dr Kuypers has several projects on the red cell membrane, which require profiling of fatty acids using EI GC/MS. ..
- SMITH-LEMLI-OPITZ SYNDROME STEROIDOGENESISCedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, if ring B dehydrosteroids are produced, is the ratio of the individual dehydrometabolites to corresponding conventional metabolites related to the dehydrocholesterol to cholesterol ratio and clinical severity? ..
- Role of Antioxidants in Ovarian Thecal HyperplasiarAntoni Duleba; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Control of menstrual bleeding disturbances in womenIan Fraser; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study aims to explore these possibilities in large scale clinical studies, scientific study of vascular and molecular changes in endometrium and with the exploration of molecular mechanisms in mice. ..
- DIETARY AND GENETIC DETERMINANTS OF MAMMOGRAPHIC DENSITYAnna Wu; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- P-Glycoprotein and Disposition of PsychostimulantsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Synaptic connectivity in mouse accessory olfactory bulbRicardo Araneda; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is anticipated that these studies will have an impact on our understanding of the sensory coding of pheromonal information and other olfactory information by the accessory olfactory system. ..
- DISCRIMINATIVE STIMULUS EFFECTS OF ETHANOLKathleen Grant; Fiscal Year: 2004..4) To characterize the 5-HT1D and 5-HT2C modulation of the discriminative stimulus effects of ethanol. ..
- Ginkgo biloba for ECT-induced Memory DeficitsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..will utilize larger groups and additional cognitive tests will be incorporated to provide more definitive conclusions regarding efficacy, optimal dose and duration, persistence of effects, and safety and tolerability ..
- Screening Herbs for Drug InteractionsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further, the proposed studies will complement existing and future NCCAM studies of agents such as St. John's wort and Gingko biloba. ..
- LIGAND GATED ION CHANNELS AND ETOH DISCRIMINATIONKathleen Grant; Fiscal Year: 2001..These findings will suggest variables that determine the effectiveness of pharmacological agents to block ethanol's stimulus effects, and may suggest the appropriate receptor system(s) to target. ..
- Assessing Fertility Potential in Pediatric Cancer SurvivorsClarisa Gracia; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..