- Emerging fusarium-mycotoxins fusaproliferin, beauvericin, enniatins, and moniliformin: a review
Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira, Department of Animal Diseases and Food Safety Research, Chemistry and Toxicology Unit, Helsinki, Finland
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 48:21-49. 2008
..Based on the available studies, attention should be paid to the studies on the distinct significance of these compounds in the human and animal food chains...
- Discontinuation due to adverse events in randomized trials of orlistat, sibutramine and rimonabant: a meta-analysis
Department of Medicine, Obesity Unit, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Obes Rev 10:564-75. 2009
..Given the large number of patients eligible for treatment, the low NNH for rimonabant is a concern...
- Acceleration of sperm transit time and reduction of sperm reserves in the epididymis of rats exposed to sibutramine
Fernanda F Bellentani
Department of Morphology, Institute of Biosciences, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, Distrito de Rubiao Jr s n, Botucatu, SP Brazil
J Androl 32:718-24. 2011
..In humans, use of this drug might present a threat for male fertility because sperm reserves in men are naturally lower than those in rats...
- Analysis of Fusarium avenaceum metabolites produced during wet apple core rot
Jens Laurids Sørensen
Technical University of Denmark, Department of Systems Biology, Center for Microbial Biotechnology, Søltofts Plads 221, DK 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
J Agric Food Chem 57:1632-9. 2009
..During wet apple core rot, F. avenaceum produced high amounts of mycotoxins, which may pose a risk for consumers of apple or processed apple products...
- An assessment of the safety and efficacy of sibutramine, an anti-obesity drug with a novel mechanism of action
Center for Study and Research on Obesity, Department of Preclinical Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Milan, LITA Vialba, L Sacco Hospital, Via G B Grassi, 74, Milan 20157, Italy
Obes Rev 1:127-39. 2000
..Finally, sibutramine does not have the potential for abuse that is characteristic of amphetamine and it is indistinguishable from placebo in abuse potential studies...
- Paradoxical effect of sibutramine on autonomic cardiovascular regulation
Andreas L Birkenfeld
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center, Medical Faculty of the Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Circulation 106:2459-65. 2002
..Norepinephrine reuptake inhibition with sibutramine conceivably could exacerbate arterial hypertension and promote cardiovascular disease...
- Presence and concentrations of the Fusarium-related mycotoxins beauvericin, enniatins and moniliformin in finnish grain samples
National Veterinary and Food Research Institute, Department of Chemistry, PO Box 45, FIN 00581 Helsinki, Finland
Food Addit Contam 21:794-802. 2004
..5%) measured as infected kernels. A significant correlation was found between F. avenaceum contamination level and the concentration levels of enniatins B and B1, as well as moniliformin...
- Efficacy of sibutramine for the treatment of binge eating disorder: a randomized multicenter placebo-controlled double-blind study
Denise E Wilfley
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:51-8. 2008
..This study is the first large-scale, multisite, placebo-controlled trial to test the efficacy of sibutramine in binge eating disorder...
- Drug treatments for obesity: orlistat, sibutramine, and rimonabant
Raj S Padwal
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Lancet 369:71-7. 2007
..Only then can patients and their physicians be confident that the putative benefits of such drugs outweigh their risks and costs...
- A controlled pharmacogenetic trial of sibutramine on weight loss and body composition in obese or overweight adults
April B M Grudell
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 135:1142-54. 2008
..Weight loss in response to sibutramine is highly variable. We assessed the association of specific markers of polymorphisms of candidate alpha2A adrenoreceptor, 5-HT transporter, and GNbeta3 genes and weight loss with sibutramine...
- Predictors of weight loss and maintenance during 2 years of treatment by sibutramine in obesity. Results from the European multi-centre STORM trial. Sibutramine Trial of Obesity Reduction and Maintenance
Research Department of Human Nutrition and Centre for Advanced Food Science, LMC, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:496-501. 2001
..As only 8% of the variation in 24 months weight change could be explained by the predictors, the clinical value of this information is limited...
- A 24-week, randomized, controlled trial of adjunctive sibutramine versus topiramate in the treatment of weight gain in overweight or obese patients with bipolar disorders
Susan L McElroy
Psychopharmacology Research Program, Department of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0559, USA
Bipolar Disord 9:426-34. 2007
..The objective of this study was to compare sibutramine and topiramate as adjunctive treatments for psychotropic-associated weight gain in overweight or obese outpatients with BD...
- Inverse agonism at α2A adrenoceptors augments the hypophagic effect of sibutramine in rats
Sanna K Janhunen
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:1979-86. 2011
..All in all, the present data supports the ARs and 5-HT receptors involved in the effects of SIB on different aspects of caloric intake and locomotion...
- Changes of cytosolic calcium and contractility of young rat vas deferens by acute treatment with amphetamine, fluoxetine or sibutramine
Neide Hyppolito Jurkiewicz
Department of Pharmacology, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Rua 3 de Maio 100, 04044 020 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 691:52-60. 2012
..Therefore, the pretreatment with amphetamine, fluoxetine or sibutramine seems to affect the calcium contractility and homeostasis in young rat vas deferens...
- Open channel block of A-type, kv4.3, and delayed rectifier K+ channels, Kv1.3 and Kv3.1, by sibutramine
Sung Eun Kim
Department of Physiology, Medical Research Center, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, 505 Banpo Dong, Socho gu, Seoul 137 701, Korea
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:753-62. 2007
..3 and Kv3.1, resulting in a crossover phenomenon. These results indicate that sibutramine acts on Kv4.3, Kv1.3, and Kv3.1 as an open channel blocker...
- Multiple effects of sibutramine on ejaculation and on vas deferens and seminal vesicle contractility
Fernanda D Nojimoto
Department of Pharmacology, Instituto de Biociencias, UNESP, Botucatu, SP 18618000, Brazil
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 239:233-40. 2009
- Organic hypomania secondary to sibutramine-citalopram interaction
J Clin Psychiatry 63:165. 2002
- Proteome changes in rat plasma in response to sibutramine
Jung Won Choi
Department of Biotechnology, Daegu University, Kyungsan, Kyungbuk, Republic of Korea
Proteomics 11:1300-12. 2011
- Sibutramine-induced mania episode in a bipolar patient
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 5:283-4. 2002
- Sibutramine and the sympathetic nervous system in obese humans
William G Haynes
Clin Auton Res 15:189-92. 2005
- Clinical evidence for drug treatments in obesity-associated hypertensive patients--a discussion paper
S A Doggrell
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Queensland, Australia
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 27:119-25. 2005
- Effects of one year treatment of sibutramine on insulin resistance parameters in type 2 diabetic patients
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, P le C Golgi, 2 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Pharm Pharm Sci 13:378-90. 2010
..Comparison of the effects of one year treatment with sibutramine compared to placebo on insulin resistance parameters, body weight, glycemic control, and lipid profile, in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Effect of sibutramine on blood pressure in patients with obesity and well-controlled hypertension or normotension
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Endocr Pract 11:308-12. 2005
..To assess the short-term effects of sibu-tramine on blood pressure (BP) and heart rate (HR) in normotensive and controlled hypertensive obese patients by using ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM)...
- Comparison of lipid lowering effect of sibutramine in patients treated or not treated with statins--3 month follow-up
Charles University in Prague, First Faculty of Medicine and General Teaching Hospital, Third Medical Department, Prague, Czech Republic
Prague Med Rep 108:333-8. 2007
..We can therefore preliminarily conclude that sibutramine therapy has significant positive effect on the lipid profile even in patients who were started on statins prior to initiation of sibutramine treatment...
- Sibutramine and L-carnitine compared to sibutramine alone on insulin resistance in diabetic patients
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Intern Med 49:1717-25. 2010
..To evaluate the effects of one year of treatment with sibutramine plus L-carnitine compared to sibutramine on body weight, glycemic control, and insulin resistance state in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Catatonia and psychosis associated with sibutramine: a case report and pathophysiologic correlation
Department of Psychiatry, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Psychosom Res 64:107-9. 2008
..Moreover, as sibutramine may be used for weight management in patients on antipsychotic medications, the implications on psychotic symptoms need to be explored further. We also discuss possible pathophysiologic underpinnings...
- Formation of fumonisins and other secondary metabolites by Fusarium oxysporum and F. proliferatum: a comparative study
Department of Chemistry, Poznan University of Life Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 27:608-15. 2010
..proliferatum and F. oxysporum (p < 0.001)...
- Effect of isocaloric diets and sibutramine on food intake, body mass variation and serum TNF-alpha levels in rats
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Pharmacology 82:15-21. 2008
..The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of isocaloric diets and sibutramine on food intake, body mass variation and serum TNF-alpha in free-feeding rats...
- A sibutramine-induced delusional disorder relapse
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 19:88-9. 2007
- Effect of sibutramine on 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid levels and selected oxidative biomarkers on brain regions of female rats in the presence of zinc
David C Guzmán
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute of Pediatrics, Mexico City, Mexico
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 110:421-6. 2012
..Our results suggest that sibutramine and zinc are associated with weight loss, an effect that was more pronounced in the group treated with both drugs. Reduction in oxidative stress may be involved in these effects...
- Sibutramine decreases body weight gain and increases energy expenditure in obese Zucker rats without changes in NPY and orexins
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of the Basque Country, Paseo de la Universidad 7, 01006 Vitoria, Spain
Nutr Neurosci 6:103-11. 2003
..The reduction in body weight and adiposity induced by sibutramine was achieved by both a reduction in food intake and an increase in energy expenditure. NPY and orexins do not seem to be involved in the anorectic effect of sibutramine...
- Endiandrin A, a potent glucocorticoid receptor binder isolated from the Australian plant Endiandra anthropophagorum
Rohan A Davis
Eskitis Institute, Griffith University, Brisbane, QLD 4111, Australia
J Nat Prod 70:1118-21. 2007
..All compounds were tested in a glucocorticoid receptor binding assay and displayed IC50 values ranging from 0.9 to 35 microM...
- [Sibutramine-related panic attack: a clinical case of apparent resolution with paroxetine]
Dipartimento di Scienze Psichiatriche e Medicina Psicologica, Universita La Sapienza, Roma
Riv Psichiatr 44:64-7. 2009
..After six months from the suspension of the drugs, the patient can no longer be classified as affected by panic attack according to the DSM-IV criteria...
- Modest weight loss and reduction in waist circumference after medical treatment are associated with favorable changes in serum adipocytokines
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Metabolism 53:430-4. 2004
..Modest weight loss is also associated with potentially favourably changes in serum adipocytokines, particularly in a rise of serum adiponectin. Reduction of waist circumference is associated with a change in serum resistin...
- Comparison of efficacy of sibutramine or orlistat versus their combination in obese women
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, School of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Endocr Res 30:159-67. 2004
..Sibutramine and orlistat are currently used for weight loss. We aimed to investigate the effect of orlistat and sibutramine combination therapy in treatment of obese women...
- Who will lose weight on sibutramine and orlistat? Psychological correlates for treatment success
Obesity Unit, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:498-505. 2008
..To study the associations between weight loss with sibutramine and orlistat with psychological aspects that may interact with patients' response to these drugs...
- A randomized trial of sibutramine in the management of obese type 2 diabetic patients treated with metformin
Steven J McNulty
Diabetes and Endocrinology Research Group, Department of Medicine, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Diabetes Care 26:125-31. 2003
..To evaluate the effects of sibutramine (15 and 20 mg/day) on weight, metabolic control, and blood pressure in metformin-treated obese subjects with type 2 diabetes...
- Effects of sibutramine treatment in obese adolescents: a randomized trial
Robert I Berkowitz
The Behavioral Health Center, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:81-90. 2006
..Increased prevalence of adolescent obesity requires effective treatment options beyond behavior therapy...
- Sibutramine treatment in obesity: initial eating behaviour in relation to weight loss results and changes in mood
Obesity Unit, Karolinska Institutet M73, Karolinska University Hospital, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Pharmacol Res 51:159-63. 2005
..Physiologically enhanced satiety could have the greatest weight loss effect for patients whose eating is more governed by hunger drives and appetite rather that by conscious efforts and cognitive control...
- The effect of sibutramine-assisted weight loss in men with obstructive sleep apnoea
B J Yee
Sleep and Circadian Research Group, Woolcock Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:161-8. 2007
..We aimed to assess the changes in OSA and cardiovascular parameters in obese men with OSA enrolled in a sibutramine-assisted weight loss programme (SIB-WL)...
- Short-term sibutramine therapy is associated with weight loss and improved endothelial function in obese patients with coronary artery disease
Heart Institute, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Am J Cardiol 97:1650-3. 2006
..035). Thus, short-term therapy with sibutramine, together with diet and lifestyle intervention, is associated with improved endothelial function assessed by brachial artery %FMD in nonhypertensive, stable patients with CAD...
- Long-term pharmacotherapy for overweight and obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Division of Internal Medicine, University of Alberta Hospital, 2E3 Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Centre, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:1437-46. 2003
..Safe and effective strategies to curb rising obesity prevalence rates are urgently needed and medications may play a more prominent role in future therapeutic regimens...
- Sibutramine improves fat distribution and insulin resistance, and increases serum adiponectin levels in Korean obese nondiabetic premenopausal women
D M Kim
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Yongdong Severance Hospital, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, 146 92 Dogok dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 66:S139-44. 2004
..Conclusively, sibutramine improved fat distribution and insulin resistance, and increased serum adiponectin levels in Korean obese nondiabetic premenopausal women...
- Weight reduction by sibutramine in obese subjects in primary care medicine: the SAT Study
German Diabetes Research Institute, Dusseldorf, Germany
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 112:201-7. 2004
..Sibutramine is a selective serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor that is known to reduce body weight. The efficacy of this drug in primary care medicine is currently unknown...
- Comparison of metabolic effects of orlistat and sibutramine treatment in Type 2 diabetic obese patients
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Diabetes Nutr Metab 17:222-9. 2004
- Squaraine-derived rotaxanes: sterically protected fluorescent near-IR dyes
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:3288-9. 2005
..It should be possible to prepare squaraine-derived rotaxanes with improved properties for a wide range of photophysical, photochemical, and biomedical applications...
- Effect of sibutramine on weight management and metabolic control in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of clinical studies
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Endocrine Metabolic Laboratory, University of Padua, Via Ospedale 105, 35128 Padua, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:942-9. 2005
..The aim of this study was to provide a comprehensive meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical studies on the effects of sibutramine on weight loss and glycemic control in obese subjects with type 2 diabetes...
- Two-year outcome of a combination of weight loss therapies for type 2 diabetes
J Bruce Redmon
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, MMC 101, 420 Delaware St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1311-5. 2005
..To evaluate the effects over 2 years of a weight loss program combining several weight loss strategies on weight loss and diabetes control in overweight subjects with type 2 diabetes...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of sibutramine for olanzapine-associated weight gain
David C Henderson
Schizophrenia Program, Weight Center, Endocrine Unit, and Biostatistics Center, Massachusetss General Hospital, Boston, USA
Am J Psychiatry 162:954-62. 2005
..This study examined the effectiveness of sibutramine, an approved weight loss agent, in overweight and obese subjects taking olanzapine for schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder...
- Cardiovascular responses to weight management and sibutramine in high-risk subjects: an analysis from the SCOUT trial
Department of Cardiology, Bispebjerg University Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, Copenhagen 2400 NV, Denmark
Eur Heart J 28:2915-23. 2007
..The study had an initial single-blind, 6-week lead-in period with sibutramine plus weight management. We report the cardiovascular responses and weight loss during this period...
- Prediction of successful weight reduction under sibutramine therapy through genotyping of the G-protein beta3 subunit gene (GNB3) C825T polymorphism
German Diabetes Research Institute, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Pharmacogenetics 13:453-9. 2003
..However, a significant variability exists among individuals concerning the response to sibutramine...
- Long-term effects of weight-reducing interventions in hypertensive patients: systematic review and meta-analysis
EBM Review Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Arch Intern Med 168:571-80. 2008
..2 mm Hg). In patients with essential hypertension, therapy with a weight loss diet or orlistat resulted in reductions in body weight and BP. Although sibutramine treatment reduced body weight, it did not lower BP...
- Effects of sibutramine plus orlistat in obese women following 1 year of treatment by sibutramine alone: a placebo-controlled trial
T A Wadden
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Obes Res 8:431-7. 2000
..This study assessed whether adding orlistat to sibutramine would induce further weight loss in patients who previously had lost weight while taking sibutramine alone...
- Sibutramine-associated adverse effects: a practical guide for its safe use
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Obes Rev 9:378-87. 2008
..Hypertension, if adequately treated and frequently monitored, is not an absolute contraindication for the prescription of sibutramine...
- Weight loss with sibutramine improves glycaemic control and other metabolic parameters in obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center, Scripps Clinic, San Diego, CA 92130, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 2:175-87. 2000
..To determine the efficacy and tolerability of sibutramine hydrochloride in obese patients whose type 2 diabetes was poorly controlled on diet alone or with an oral antidiabetic agent...
- The cerebrospinal fluid/serum leptin ratio during pharmacological therapy for obesity
Adriane Maria Rodrigues
SEMPR, Serviço de Endocrinologia e Metabologia do Hospital de Clínicas da Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1621-6. 2002
- Benefits of lifestyle modification in the pharmacologic treatment of obesity: a randomized trial
T A Wadden
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3600 Market St, Suite 738, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:218-27. 2001
..Weight loss medications are recommended as an adjunct to diet and exercise modification but seem to be prescribed as a monotherapy by many physicians. This practice is likely to be associated with suboptimal weight loss...
- Sibutramine improves insulin sensitivity without alteration of serum adiponectin in obese subjects with Type 2 diabetes
Y J Hung
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Diabet Med 22:1024-30. 2005
..To evaluate the effect of sibutramine on weight loss, insulin sensitivity and serum adiponectin levels in obese patients with Type 2 diabetes...
- Weight and blood pressure response to weight management and sibutramine in diabetic and non-diabetic high-risk patients: an analysis from the 6-week lead-in period of the sibutramine cardiovascular outcomes (SCOUT) trial
L F Van Gaal
Department of Diabetology, Metabolism and Clinical Nutrition, Antwerp University Hospital, Belgium
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:26-34. 2010
..To assess treatment responses to sibutramine and weight management in diabetic patients during the lead-in period of the Sibutramine Cardiovascular OUTcomes (SCOUT) trial...
- Synergy of sibutramine and low-dose leptin in treatment of diet-induced obesity in rats
C N Boozer
New York Obesity Research Center, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10025, USA
Metabolism 50:889-93. 2001
..Replacement doses of L during S administration increased weight loss and fractional fat loss by (1) decreasing food intake and (2) by increasing fat oxidation. Such drug combinations may be useful in the treatment of human obesity...
- Transient global amnesia after taking sibutramine: a case report
Pin Kuei Fu
Division of Neurology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung 407, Taiwan, Republic of China
Neurologist 16:129-31. 2010
..Although amnesia and seizure is listed as a reported adverse event of sibutramine in the US product information, our literature search in the PubMed website database found no published reports of theses adverse events...
- Rise in antiobesity drug prescribing for children and adolescents in the UK: a population-based study
Russell M Viner
General and Adolescent Paediatrics Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:844-51. 2009
..The antiobesity drugs sibutramine and orlistat are not licensed for use in children and adolescents in the UK or USA. * Clinical trials suggest antiobesity drugs are effective and well-tolerated in obese adolescents...
- Effect of sibutramine on weight reduction in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Sunderby Hospital, Lulea, Sweden
Fertil Steril 89:1221-8. 2008
..To examine the efficacy of sibutramine together with brief lifestyle modification for weight reduction in obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Influence of Sibutramine on blood pressure: evidence from placebo-controlled trials
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center and HELIOS Klinikum, Medical Faculty of the Charite, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:509-16. 2005
..Sibutramine, a serotonin and norepinephrine transporter inhibitor, is widely used as an adjunctive obesity treatment. There have been concerns that norepinephrine reuptake inhibition with sibutramine could exacerbate arterial hypertension...
- Sibutramine produces dose-related weight loss
G A Bray
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Obes Res 7:189-98. 1999
..This paper reports a 24-week dose-ranging study to determine the effect of sibutramine on body weight of patients with obesity...
- Sibutramine in cardiovascular disease: is SCOUT the new STORM on the horizon?
Stephan von Haehling
Eur Heart J 28:2830-1. 2007
- Long-term persistence with orlistat and sibutramine in a population-based cohort
Division of General Internal Medicine, Walter C Mackenzie Health Sciences Center, University of Alberta Hospital, 8440 112th Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1567-70. 2007
..The objective of this study was to determine the long-term persistence with orlistat and sibutramine therapy outside a clinical trial setting...
- Chinese slimming capsules containing sibutramine sold over the Internet: a case series
Giftinformationszentrum Nord, Zentrum Pharmakologie und Toxikologie Göttingen, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 106:218-22. 2009
..We report 17 cases of poisoning with a single product, said to be of purely herbal origin, that was bought over the Internet. A complete declaration of the ingredients was not available...
- The effect of sibutramine on energy expenditure and appetite during chronic treatment without dietary restriction
D L Hansen
Research Department of Human Nutrition, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 23:1016-24. 1999
..To assess the contribution of a thermogenic effect to weight loss induced by eight weeks treatment with sibutramine (15mg/d) vs placebo in obese subjects...
- Psychobehavioral and nutritional predictors of weight loss in obese women treated with sibutramine
Institute of Endocrinology, Obesity Management Centre, Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:208-16. 2005
..The impact of changes in psychobehavioral and nutritional markers observed after 4 and 12 months of treatment on BMI changes was also investigated...
- Cost-effectiveness of pharmacological anti-obesity treatments: a systematic review
Department of Medicine, Centre for Pharmacoepidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:1752-63. 2008
..To review economic evaluations of weight loss drugs and compare reported incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs)...
- Prediction of response to sibutramine therapy in obese non-diabetic and diabetic patients
Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility, Cambridge, UK
Diabetes Obes Metab 8:206-13. 2006
..This regimen may deny treatment to a large group of patients who might otherwise benefit, particularly patients with type 2 diabetes who often find it more difficult to lose weight than non-diabetic obese individuals...
- Effect of sibutramine on weight maintenance after weight loss: a randomised trial. STORM Study Group. Sibutramine Trial of Obesity Reduction and Maintenance
W P James
Rowett Research Institute, Aberdeen, UK
Lancet 356:2119-25. 2000
..We did a randomised, double-blind trial to assess the usefulness of sibutramine in maintaining substantial weight loss over 2 years...
- Sympathetic vasomotor tone determines blood pressure response to long-term sibutramine treatment
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center, Medical Faculty of the Charité and HELIOS Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1560-3. 2007
..The serotonin and norepinephrine transporter inhibitor sibutramine is a widely used antiobesity drug. In acute studies, the peripheral sympathomimetic effect of sibutramine was counteracted by a central sympatholytic action...
- Effects of sibutramine and orlistat on mood in obese and overweight subjects: a randomised study
D N Kiortsis
Laboratory of Physiology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Panepistimiou Avenue, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:207-10. 2008
..Moreover, no study has evaluated the effects of orlistat treatment on mood. The purpose of our study was to assess the effects of sibutramine and orlistat on mood in obese and overweight subjects...
- Sibutramine therapy in obese women--effects on plasma neuropeptide Y (NPY), insulin, leptin and beta-endorphin concentrations
Department of Neuroendocrinology, Marymoncka 99, 01 813 Warsaw, Poland
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:675-9. 2005
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of the sibutramine therapy on plasma neuropeptide Y (NPY), insulin, leptin and beta-endorphin concentrations in obese patients...
- Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity
Thomas A Wadden
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
N Engl J Med 353:2111-20. 2005
..This practice is likely to limit therapeutic benefits...
- Long-term maintenance of weight loss with sibutramine in a GP setting following a specialist guided very-low-calorie diet: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group study
E M H Mathus-Vliegen
Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Nutr 59:S31-8; discussion S39. 2005
..However, long-term maintenance of weight loss is generally poor. We assessed the efficacy and safety of sibutramine in maintaining weight loss achieved in obese patients by means of a 3-month VLCD...
- QT interval prolongation associated with sibutramine treatment
Intensive Medicines Monitoring Programme, Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago, New Zealand
Br J Clin Pharmacol 61:464-9. 2006
..To investigate a possible association of sibutramine with QT interval prolongation...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of sibutramine for clozapine-associated weight gain
D C Henderson
The Schizophrenia Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Acta Psychiatr Scand 115:101-5. 2007
..This study sought to examine the effectiveness of sibutramine, a weight loss agent, on clozapine-associated weight gain...
- Impact sibutramine therapy in children with hypothalamic obesity or obesity with aggravating syndromes
Department of Pediatrics and the National Childhood Obesity Centre, B57, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4101-6. 2007
..The combination of comorbidities and severe obesity lower the quality of these children's lives drastically. The present goal was to determine whether treatment with sibutramine has a beneficial effect on such children...
- Orlistat and sibutramine beyond weight loss
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 18:342-8. 2008
..To investigate, through a meta-analysis of clinical trials, the effect of two weight-reducing drugs, such as orlistat and sibutramine, on serum lipid profiles in overweight and obese subjects, independently of weight loss...
- Sympathetic-leptin relationship in obesity: effect of weight loss
centre d investigation clinique, INSERM CHU, Nancy, France
Metabolism 57:555-62. 2008
..Our results imply therefore that the relationship between leptin and the autonomic nervous system is disturbed in normotensive obese subjects...
- The safety profiles of orlistat and sibutramine: results of prescription-event monitoring studies in England
Michael J Perrio
Drug Safety Research Unit, Bursledon Hall, Blundell Lane, Southampton, United Kingdom S031 1AA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:2712-22. 2007
..Adverse events reported as case reports were also evaluated to determine whether these events were also identified by PEM...
- Effect of hypocaloric diet plus sibutramine treatment on hormonal and metabolic features in overweight and obese women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized, 24-week study
Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Endocrinology and Human Reproduction, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:692-9. 2008
..To examine the effect of hypocaloric diet plus sibutramine on body composition, hormonal and metabolic parameters in overweight and obese patients with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Head-to-head studies evaluating efficacy of pharmaco-therapy for obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Obes Rev 9:420-7. 2008
..3-1.4) indicating lower dropout for sibutramine. This information together with an understanding of the clinical properties of each drug should help to guide the prescribing physician in the selection of adequate drug therapy for obesity...
- The effect of sibutramine on energy expenditure and body composition in obese adolescents
Edgar G A H Van Mil
Department of Methodology and Statistics and Human Biology, Nutrition Environment and Toxicology Research Institute Maastrict, Maastrict University, and Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Maastrict, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1409-14. 2007
..Childhood obesity is now considered to be an epidemic. Drug therapy in this age group remains a topic of research...
- Boc5, a non-peptidic glucagon-like Peptide-1 receptor agonist, invokes sustained glycemic control and weight loss in diabetic mice
The National Center for Drug Screening, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 3:e2892. 2008
..The present study was aimed at determining the in vivo pharmacologic properties of Boc5 in both normal and diabetic mice following chronic administration, with emphasis on glycemic control and weight loss...
- Sibutramine-associated QT interval prolongation and cardiac arrest
Box Hill Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Ann Pharmacother 42:1514-7. 2008
..To report on a probable association between sibutramine and QT interval prolongation leading to ventricular fibrillation and cardiac arrest...
- Incorrect use of orlistat and sibutramine in clinical practice
Medical Products Agency, P O Box 26, 751 03 Uppsala, Sweden
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 63:205-9. 2007
..To investigate how the antiobesity drugs orlistat and sibutramin are prescribed in relation to the approved indications and the Swedish subsidiary rules...
- Reduced left ventricular mass after treatment of obese patients with sibutramine: An echocardiographic multicentre study
Teutoburger Wald Klinik, Bad Rothenfelde, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 8:674-81. 2006
..Following body weight reduction, the left ventricular mass (LVM) is reduced. It is not known to which extent this occurs after treatment with sibutramine...
- A phase I study of 1,2-diamminomethyl-cyclobutane-platinum (II)-lactate (D-19466; lobaplatin) administered daily for 5 days
J A Gietema
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 67:396-401. 1993
..The recommended dose of lobaplatin i.v. bolus daily for 5 days for phase II studies depends on renal function, namely 30 mg m-2 at CRCL 60-80 ml min-1; 55 mg m-2 at CRCL 81-100 ml min-1; 70 mg m-2 at CRCL > 100 ml min-1...
- NPY5R antagonism does not augment the weight loss efficacy of orlistat or sibutramine
Merck Research Laboratories, 126 E Lincoln Avenue, PO Box 2000, RY34A Rahway, NJ 07065 0900, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 15:2027-42. 2007
..This study evaluated whether blockade of the NPY Y5 receptor (NPY5R) with the selective antagonist MK-0557 potentiates sibutramine and orlistat weight loss effects...
- The efficacy and safety of sibutramine for weight loss: a systematic review
David E Arterburn
Department of Veterans Affairs, Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:994-1003. 2004
..We conducted a systematic review to assess the efficacy and safety of sibutramine hydrochloride for weight loss...
- Effects of sibutramine on ventricular dimensions and heart valves in obese patients during weight reduction
Centre d Investigation Clinique INSERM, CHU de Nancy, Hopital Jeanne d Arc, Toul, France
Am Heart J 144:508-15. 2002
..In obese subjects, weight reduction regresses LV mass (LVM), regardless of blood pressure. Sibutramine can increase blood pressure and heart rate, which may attenuate the reductions in LVM associated with weight loss...
- Phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase G-148A genetic variant and weight loss in obese women
Warren R Peters
Loma Linda University, Center for Health Promotion, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
Obes Res 11:415-9. 2003
..To understand the impact of the phenylethanolamine N-methyltransferase (PNMT) G-148A gene and nutritional variables on weight loss in obese women...
- Efficacy and safety comparative evaluation of orlistat and sibutramine treatment in hypertensive obese patients
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, 2 27100 Pavia, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:47-55. 2005
- Treatment of obese adolescents with sibutramine: a randomized, double-blind, controlled study
Nutrology and Metabolism Department, Instituto Estadual de Diabetes e Endocrinologia Luiz Capriglione, Rua Visconde Silva, 52 704 Botafogo, 22271 090, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1460-5. 2005
..There were no changes in echocardiographic parameters. In conclusion, sibutramine plus diet and exercise induced significantly more weight loss in obese adolescents...
- Combined dietary and pharmacological weight management in obese hypopituitary patients
Department of Endocrinology, Copenhagen University Hospital 9, Blegdamsvej DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Obes Res 12:1835-43. 2004
..In this study, we investigated the combined effect of sibutramine, diet, and exercise in obese hypopituitary patients (HPs)...
- Short-term effects of sibutramine (Reductil) on appetite and eating behaviour and the long-term therapeutic outcome
Obesity Unit, Institute of Internal Medicine, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:693-700. 2003
..To evaluate the short-term effects of sibutramine on appetite and eating behaviour and whether these effects are related to the long-term therapeutic outcome...
- Efficacy of sibutramine, orlistat and combination therapy on short-term weight management in obese patients
Haydarpasa Numune Training and Research Hospital, 5th Department of Internal Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Biomed Pharmacother 58:582-7. 2004
..To describe encountered adverse effects...