Genomes and Genes
Summary: A cyclododecadepsipeptide ionophore antibiotic produced by Streptomyces fulvissimus and related to the enniatins. It is composed of 3 moles each of L-valine, D-alpha-hydroxyisovaleric acid, D-valine, and L-lactic acid linked alternately to form a 36-membered ring. (From Merck Index, 11th ed) Valinomycin is a potassium selective ionophore and is commonly used as a tool in biochemical studies.
Publications224 found, 100 shown here
- Cardiolipin biosynthesis and mitochondrial respiratory chain function are interdependentVishal M Gohil
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
J Biol Chem 279:42612-8. 2004..in the presence of CCCP, an inhibitor of oxidative phosphorylation that reduces the pH gradient but not by valinomycin or oligomycin, both of which reduce the membrane potential and inhibit ATP synthase, respectively...
- Selective cytotoxic activity of valinomycin against HT-29 Human colon carcinoma cells via down-regulation of GRP78In Ja Ryoo
Laboratory of Antioxidant, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Daejeon, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 29:817-20. 2006..M126 was identified as valinomycin by various spectroscopic methods...
- Opening mitoKATP increases superoxide generation from complex I of the electron transport chainAnastasia Andrukhiv
Dept of Biology, Portland State Univ, PO Box 751, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H2067-74. 2006..ROS production exhibited a biphasic dependence on valinomycin concentration, with peak production occurring at valinomycin concentrations that catalyze about the same K(+) ..
- Increased potassium conductance of brain mitochondria induces resistance to permeability transition by enhancing matrix volumeMagnus J Hansson
Mitochondrial Pathophysiology Unit, Laboratory for Experimental Brain Research, Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University, SE 221 84 Lund, Sweden
J Biol Chem 285:741-50. 2010..In the present study K(+) channel activity was mimicked by picomolar concentrations of valinomycin. Isolated brain mitochondria were exposed to continuous infusions of calcium...
- Impact of Bacillus thuringiensis toxin Cry1Ab on rumen epithelial cells (REC) - a new in vitro model for safety assessment of recombinant food compoundsAngelika Bondzio
Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, Freie Universitat Berlin, Oertzenweg 19b, 14163 Berlin, Germany
Food Chem Toxicol 46:1976-84. 2008..The results were compared to the effects of valinomycin, a potassium ionophore known to induce cytotoxic effects on a wide range of cells...
- Mitochondrial cytochrome c release may occur by volume-dependent mechanisms not involving permeability transitionVladimir Gogvadze
Division of Toxicology, Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Box 210, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem J 378:213-7. 2004..In contrast with mitochondrial permeability transition-dependent release of cytochrome c, in the present study mitochondria remain intact and functionally active...
- Impedance analysis of phosphatidylcholine membranes modified with valinomycinMonika Naumowicz
Institute of Chemistry, University of Bialystok, Al J Pilsudskiego 11 4, 15 443 Bialystok, Poland
Eur Biophys J 35:239-46. 2006The effect of the ion carrier valinomycin on the electrochemical features of the phosphatidylcholine membrane was investigated by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy...
- Effects of the ionophores valinomycin, ionomycin and gramicidin A on the element compartmentation in cultured rat hepatocytesS Bolkent
University of Istanbul, Department of Biology, Istanbul, Turkey
Toxicol In Vitro 16:159-65. 2002..electron probe X-ray microanalysis of freeze-dried cryosections after exposure of the cells to the ionophores valinomycin, ionomycin or gramicidin A...
- Effect of endogenous mutant and wild-type PINK1 on Parkin in fibroblasts from Parkinson disease patientsAleksandar Rakovic
Section of Clinical and Molecular Neurogenetics, Department of Neurology, University of Lubeck, 23562 Lübeck, Germany
Hum Mol Genet 19:3124-37. 2010....
- Valinomycin-induced apoptosis in Chinese hamster ovary cellsRany Abdalah
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, United States
Neurosci Lett 405:68-73. 2006..On the other hand, the K(+) ionophore valinomycin caused substantial cell death within 12h of its application...
- Bacillus thuringiensis insecticidal Cry1ab toxin does not affect the membrane integrity of the mammalian intestinal epithelial cells: An in vitro studyNobuaki Shimada
National Institute of Animal Health, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 42:45-9. 2006....
- Comparative analysis of antimicrobial activities of valinomycin and cereulide, the Bacillus cereus emetic toxinMarcel H Tempelaars
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Wageningen University, 6703 HD Wageningen, Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:2755-62. 2011Cereulide and valinomycin are highly similar cyclic dodecadepsipeptides with potassium ionophoric properties...
- Differential permeabilization effects of Ca2+ and valinomycin on the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes as revealed by proteomics analysis of proteins released from mitochondriaAkiko Yamada
double daggerSchool of Dentistry, University of Tokushima, Kuramotocho 3, Tokushima 770 8504, Japan
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1265-77. 2009..Our previous study showed that valinomycin also caused the release of cytochrome c from mitochondria but without inducing this PT (Shinohara, Y...
- Cyclosporin A does not protect the disruption of the inner mitochondrial membrane potential induced by potassium ionophores in intact K562 cellsLuis F Marques-Santos
Departamento de Biologia Molecular, Centro de Ciências Exatas e da Natureza, Universidade Federal da Paraiba, Campus I, Cidade Universitaria, CEP 58059 900, Joao Pessoa, PB, Brazil
Cell Biol Int 30:197-204. 2006..carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP), potassium exchanger (nigericin), potassium ionophore (valinomycin), Na+K+-ATPase inhibitor (ouabain) and mitochondrial permeability transition pore inhibitor (cyclosporin A) ..
- Specific inhibition of hamster prion protein translocation by the dodecadepsipeptide valinomycinJiyeon Kim
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 88, Olympic ro 43 gil, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Republic of Korea
Exp Cell Res 319:2049-57. 2013....
- Perturbation of intracellular K(+) homeostasis with valinomycin promotes cell death by mitochondrial swelling and autophagic processesBarbara Klein
Department of Cell Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstr 34, 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Apoptosis 16:1101-17. 2011..We investigated, which mode of cell death is induced by decreasing the intracellular K(+) concentration using valinomycin, a highly K(+)-selective ionophore...
- Impedance analysis of valinomycin activity in nano-BLMsChristian Kepplinger
Institute for Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, University of Gottingen, Tammannstr 2, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Chem Phys Lipids 160:109-13. 2009..The ionophore valinomycin was successfully inserted into nano-BLMs and its transport activity monitored as a function of different ..
- A study of the conformations of valinomycin in solution phaseFeng Wang
Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
Biopolymers 75:85-93. 2004Vibrational absorption and vibrational circular dichroism (VCD) spectra of valinomycin are measured, in different solvents, in the ester and amide carbonyl stretching regions...
- Molecular dynamics simulations of valinomycin and its potassium complex in homogeneous solventsT R Forester
CCLRC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Cheshire, UK
Biophys J 71:544-53. 1996..Global structural functions, radial distribution functions, and VM ring dihedral analysis are presented, along with an analysis of the decomplexation event...
- K+/Na+ selectivity in K channels and valinomycin: over-coordination versus cavity-size constraintsSameer Varma
Computational Bioscience Department, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM 87185, USA
J Mol Biol 376:13-22. 2008Potassium channels and valinomycin molecules share the exquisite ability to select K(+) over Na(+)...
- Photoelectric effects on chlorophyll fluorescence of photosystem II in vivo. Kinetics in the absence and presence of valinomycinWim J Vredenberg
Laboratory of Plant Physiology, Wageningen University and Research, Arboretumlaan 4, NL6703 BD Wageningen, The Netherlands
Bioelectrochemistry 60:87-95. 2003..curves (F(t)) in low intensity 1s light pulses have been measured in leaf discs in the presence and absence of valinomycin (VMC)...
- Treatment of breast tumor cells in vitro with the mitochondrial membrane potential dissipater valinomycin increases 18F-FDG incorporationTim A D Smith
John Mallard PET Centre, School of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland
J Nucl Med 48:1308-12. 2007..of mitochondrial membrane potential can be specifically induced using the K+ ion channel-opening agent valinomycin and has been used in this study to determine how the loss of mitochondrial membrane potential could influence ..
- Antifungal activity of valinomycin, a peptide antibiotic produced by Streptomyces sp. Strain M10 antagonistic to Botrytis cinereaCheol Nam Park
Division of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University, Seoul 136 701, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 18:880-4. 2008..An antifungal substance (CN1) was purified from the culture extracts of the strain, and then identified as valinomycin through extensive spectroscopic analyses...
- Valinomycin affects the morphology of Candida albicansHiroshi Watanabe
Department of Applied Chemistry Bioengineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka City University, Sugimoto 3 3 138, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 58:753-8. 2005..The substance was identified as valinomycin, and commercial valinomycin inhibited hyphal growth as effectively as the purified metabolite...
- The mitochondrial toxin produced by Streptomyces griseus strains isolated from an indoor environment is valinomycinM A Andersson
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Appl Environ Microbiol 64:4767-73. 1998..dodecadepsipeptide, and the fragmentation pattern obtained by tandem mass spectrometry was identical to that of valinomycin. Commercial valinomycin had effects in sperm cells that were identical to the effects of the four indoor ..
- Deciphering the biosynthetic codes for the potent anti-SARS-CoV cyclodepsipeptide valinomycin in Streptomyces tsusimaensis ATCC 15141Yi Qiang Cheng
Department of Biological Sciences, Biotechnology Program, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53211, USA
Chembiochem 7:471-7. 2006b>Valinomycin was recently reported to be the most potent agent against severe acute respiratory-syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) in infected Vero E6 cells...
- Characterization of the cereulide NRPS alpha-hydroxy acid specifying modules: activation of alpha-keto acids and chiral reduction on the assembly lineNathan A Magarvey
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, 240 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Am Chem Soc 128:10698-9. 2006..Cereulide, the emetic toxin from the human pathogen Bacillus cereus, and valinomycin, from Streptomyces spp., are closely related macrocyclic K+ ionophores...
- Valinomycin sensitivity proves that light-induced thylakoid voltages result in millisecond phase of chlorophyll fluorescence transientsPavel Pospisil
FB Physik, Freie Universitat Berlin, Arminallee 14, D 14195 Dahlem, Berlin, Germany
Biochim Biophys Acta 1554:94-100. 2002..In the presence of the ionophore valinomycin, which is known to inhibit specifically the formation of membrane voltages, the magnitude of the J-I phase is ..
- Mechanisms of pH regulation in the regulated secretory pathwayM M Wu
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720-3200, USA
J Biol Chem 276:33027-35. 2001..However, neither steady-state pH(MSG) nor rates of passive H(+) leak were affected by Cl(-)-free solutions or valinomycin, indicating that MSG membrane potential was small and not a determinant of pH(MSG)...
- The higher toxicity of cereulide relative to valinomycin is due to its higher affinity for potassium at physiological plasma concentrationVera V Teplova
Department of Applied Chemistry and Microbiology, Viikki Biocenter 1, POB 56, 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 210:39-46. 2006b>Valinomycin and cereulide are bacterial toxins with closely similar chemical structure and properties but different toxic effects. Emetic poisoning is induced by cereulide but not by valinomycin. Both are specific potassium ionophores...
- Oxidative status of valinomycin-resistant normal, beta-thalassemia and sickle red blood cellsJohnny Amer
Department of Hematology, Hadassah, Hebrew University Medical Center, Ein Kerem, POB 12, 000, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Biochim Biophys Acta 1760:793-9. 2006Exposure of red blood cells (RBC) to the K+ -ionophore valinomycin (val), causes loss of KCl and water, resulting in cell dehydration, manifested by increased cell density...
- Entry of poliovirus into cells is blocked by valinomycin and concanamycin AA Irurzun
Centro de Biologia Molecular, UAM CSIC, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Canto Blanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Biochemistry 40:3589-600. 2001..Combination of concanamycin A, a vacuolar proton-ATPase inhibitor, and valinomycin, an ionophore that promotes K(+) efflux from cells, powerfully prevented poliovirus infection...
- Identification and characterization of a newly recognized population of high-Na+, low-K+, low-density sickle and normal red cellsR M Bookchin
Department of Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:8045-50. 2000..03%) that fail to dehydrate when permeabilized to K(+) with either valinomycin or elevated internal Ca(2+)...
- 13C NMR chemical shifts of the triclinic and monoclinic crystal forms of valinomycinTsunenori Kameda
Department of Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112 0850, USA
J Biomol NMR 29:281-8. 2004Two different crystalline polymorphs of valinomycin, the triclinic and monoclinic forms, have been studied by high resolution, solid state (13)C CP-MAS NMR spectroscopy...
- The role of bulk protein in local models of ion-binding to proteins: comparative study of KcsA, its semisynthetic analog with a locked-in binding site, and valinomycinPurushottam D Dixit
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Biophys J 100:1542-9. 2011..This local system analysis for the S(2) site of KcsA, its semisynthetic analog, and valinomycin yields the free energy change in exchanging K(+) with Na(+) in quantitative agreement with the value obtained ..
- Characterization of the functional coupling of bovine brain vacuolar-type H(+)-translocating ATPase. Effect of divalent cations, phospholipids, and subunit H (SFD)Bill P Crider
Eugene McDermott Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8591, USA
J Biol Chem 278:44281-8. 2003....
- On-chip integration of sequential ion-sensing system based on intermittent reagent pumping and formation of two-layer flowH Hisamoto
Department of Applied Chemistry, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Anal Chem 73:5551-6. 2001..We used KD-A3 as the lipophilic pH indicator dye and valinomycin and DD16C5 as neutral ionophores to demonstrate sequential ion sensing of potassium and sodium ions by ..
- Rotenone-sensitive mitochondrial potential in Phytomonas serpens: electrophoretic Ca(2+) accumulationDanuza Nogueira Moysés
Departamento de Bioquimica Medica, ICB CCS, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Ilha do Fundao, 21941 590 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1656:96-103. 2004..13+/-0.23 nmol Ca(2+) mg x protein(-1) min(-1). It is completely abolished by the H(+) ionophore FCCP and by valinomycin and nigericin...
- Nystatin and valinomycin induce tubuloglomerular feedbackY Ren
Hypertension and Vascular Research Division, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 281:F1102-8. 2001..0 +/- 1.5 to 15.6 +/- 1.6 mm; P = 0.003). When valinomycin, a K(+)-selective ionophore, was added to the macula densa lumen together with furosemide in the presence of ..
- Delayed shrinkage triggered by the Na+-K+ pump in terbutaline-stimulated rat alveolar type II cellsKeita Hosoi
Department of Physiology, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, 569 8686, Japan
Exp Physiol 89:373-85. 2004..This [K+]i increase, in turn, hyperpolarizes membrane potential. Valinomycin (a K+ ionophore), which induces hyperpolarization, decreased the volume of AT-II cells and enhanced the third ..
- Mitochondrial sequestration and Ca(2+)-dependent release of cytosolic Zn(2+) loads in cortical neuronsStefano L Sensi
Department of Neurology, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, 66013, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 10:100-8. 2002..of the mitochondrial protonophore, FCCP, the mitochondrial uncoupler, dinitrophenol with the K(+) ionophore, valinomycin, or the inducer of mitochondrial permeability transition (mPT), phenylarsine oxide (PAO), to substitute for ..
- Phenylphosphonate transport by Helicobacter pyloriJustin L Ford
School of Medical Sciences, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Helicobacter 12:609-15. 2007..However, H. pylori does not have any genes homologous to those of the known pathways for phosphonate degradation in bacteria, indicating that it must have novel pathways for the transport and metabolism of phosphonates...
- Interference of MI-D, a new mesoionic compound, on artificial and native membranesSilvia M S C Cadena
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, Brasil
Cell Biochem Funct 20:31-7. 2002..chloride), a new mesoionic compound, decreased the rate of swelling induced by valinomycin-K+, as well as induced swelling in the presence of nigericin-K+...
- The Na+-translocating ATPase in the plasma membrane of the marine microalga Tetraselmis viridis catalyzes Na+/H+ exchangeYurii V Balnokin
Timiryazev Institute of Plant Physiology RAS, Botanicheskaya 35, 127276 Moscow, Russia
Planta 219:332-7. 2004..The (Na(+)+ATP)-dependent lumen alkalization was not significantly affected by valinomycin, addition of which in the presence of K+ abolished deltapsi at the vesicle membrane...
- Evidence for a gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB) uptake by rat brain synaptic vesiclesClaude Muller
Institut de Chimie Biologique and INSERM U 338, Strasbourg, France
J Neurochem 80:899-904. 2002....
- Analysis of phenomena involved in the apical growth of Phycomyces blakesleeanusJose Ruiz-Herrera
Departamento de Ingeniería Genética, Unidad Irapuato, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados del IPN, Irapuato, Gto, Mexico
Arch Microbiol 180:427-33. 2003..exchanger A23187 and the K(+)/H(+) exchanger nigericin, the electrogenic membrane-potential depleters valinomycin and CCCP, and the calcium channel blockers ruthenium red, nifedipine, and nitrendipine on the apical growth of ..
- Age decline in the activity of the Ca2+-sensitive K+ channel of human red blood cellsTeresa Tiffert
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
J Gen Physiol 129:429-36. 2007..When K(+) permeabilization was induced with valinomycin, the oldest and densest cells, which started nearest to the set density boundary, crossed it first, reflecting ..
- K+-selective nanospheres: maximising response range and minimising response timeMaria Jose Ruedas-Rama
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge, UK
Analyst 131:1282-91. 2006..ETH 5294) and lipophilic salt (KTClPB) for H(+)-sensors, or ETH 5294, a K(+)-selective ionophore (valinomycin) and anionic sites for K(+)-sensors were compared, and the effect of varying the normalised concentrations for ..
- Relationship between cell morphology and intracellular potassium concentration in Candida albicansHiroshi Watanabe
Department of Applied Chemistry and Bioengineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka City University, Sugimoto 3 3 138, Sumiyoshi ku, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 59:281-7. 2006Previously we reported that valinomycin inhibited hyphal growth and induced growth as a chain of yeast cells under hyphal growth induction conditions in Candida albicans...
- Studies on the mode of action of reutericyclinMichael G Ganzle
Lehrstuhl für Technische Mikrobiologie, TU Munchen, 85350 Freising, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:1305-7. 2003..A comparison of reutericyclin activity with those of nisin, nigericin, and valinomycin demonstrated that reutericyclin does not form pores but selectively dissipates the transmembrane proton ..
- Volume regulation is defective in renal proximal tubule cells isolated from KCNE1 knockout miceI D Millar
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
Exp Physiol 89:173-80. 2004..RVD in the knockout cells was rescued by valinomycin, a K+ ionophore...
- Stimulation of voltage-dependent calcium channels during capacitation and by progesterone in human spermMarco T Gonzalez-Martinez
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Apartado Postal 70 297, CP 04510, Mexico, DF, Mexico
Arch Biochem Biophys 408:205-10. 2002..The observed effects of capacitation and progesterone on VDCC may be physiologically significant for sperm-egg interaction...
- Mitochondrial Ca2+-induced K+ influx increases respiration and enhances ROS production while maintaining membrane potentialAndre Heinen
Anesthesiology Research Laboratories, Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, M4280, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292:C148-56. 2007..To test this hypothesis, we measured effects of NS-1619, a putative mtK(Ca) channel opener, and valinomycin, a K(+) ionophore, on mitochondrial respiration, DeltaPsi(m), and ROS generation in guinea pig heart ..
- Impaired regulatory volume decrease in freshly isolated cholangiocytes from cystic fibrosis mice: implications for cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator effect on potassium conductanceWon Kyoo Cho
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Indiana University School of Medicine and The Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Biol Chem 279:14610-8. 2004..01 (n = 53) in 10 min but without significant recovery. Coadministration of the K(+)-selective ionophore valinomycin restored RVD in CF mouse BDCCs, suggesting that the impaired RVD was likely from a defect in K(+) conductance...
- Vesicle transmembrane potential is required for translocation to the cytosol of externally added FGF-1Jedrzej Małecki
Institute for Cancer Research, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, 0310 Montebello, Oslo, Norway
EMBO J 21:4480-90. 2002..A combination of ionophores expected to dissipate the vesicular membrane potential (valinomycin plus monensin) also fully inhibited the translocation...
- BCL-2 does not control programmed cell death in the IPLB-LdFB cell line from the insect Lymantria disparEnzo Ottaviani
Department of Animal Biology, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Cell Biol Int 26:563-6. 2002..Similar behaviour was observed using the K+ ionophore valinomycin. From these findings, we hypothesize that the L...
- Roles of the Na,K-ATPase alpha4 isoform and the Na+/H+ exchanger in sperm motilityAlison L Woo
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 62:348-56. 2002..These data, along with the observation that the K+ ionophore valinomycin has no effect on the motility of ouabain-inhibited sperm, suggest that ouabain may change intracellular H+ ..
- The fetal and neonatal brain protein neuronatin protects PC12 cells against certain types of toxic insultShuang Zheng
Department of Biological Chemistry, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 650 Charles Young Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Brain Res Dev Brain Res 136:101-10. 2002..neuronatin and it exhibits markedly increased sensitivity to the toxic effects of nigericin, rotenone and valinomycin. Pretreatment of the 1...
- Crosstalk between nitric oxide and zinc pathways to neuronal cell death involving mitochondrial dysfunction and p38-activated K+ channelsElla Bossy-Wetzel
Center for Neuroscience and Aging, The Burnham Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neuron 41:351-65. 2004..Thus, these data establish a new form of crosstalk between NO and Zn2+ apoptotic signal transduction pathways that may contribute to neurodegeneration...
- Lack of voltage-dependent calcium channel opening during the calcium influx induced by progesterone in human sperm. Effect of calcium channel deactivation and inactivationAlberto Martin Guzman-Grenfell
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico, D F, Mexico
J Androl 25:117-22. 2004..Furthermore, the progesterone and voltage-dependent calcium influxes were additive. These findings indicate that progesterone does not produce VDCC gating in human sperm...
- Ion transport coupled to terminal oxidase functioning in the extremely alkaliphilic halotolerant bacterium ThioalkalivibrioYu V Grischuk
Belozersky Institute of Physico Chemical Biology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, 119992, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 68:385-90. 2003..that: 1) unlike other bacteria known, this bacterium did not acidify the medium in the presence of K(+) and valinomycin; 2) in the presence of an uncoupler, CCCP, but in the absence of valinomycin, reversible alkalinization of the ..
- [Localization of ATPase activity, respiration and ultrastructure of wheat root cells with modulated ion conductivity of plasma membrane]F A Chernysheva
Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Research Center RAS, Kazan
Tsitologiia 46:221-8. 2004..A 2 h treatment of excised root with valinomycin (20 microM), N,N-dicyclohexylcarbodiimid (100 microM), gramicidin S (20 microM) and chlorpromazine (100 microM) ..
- Effects of saturated long-chain N-acylethanolamines on voltage-dependent Ca2+ fluxes in rabbit T-tubule membranesMurat Oz
National Institute on Drug Abuse, Cellular Neurobiology Section, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 434:344-51. 2005..membrane potentials were generated by establishing potassium gradients across the vesicle using the ionophore valinomycin. Arachidonoylethanolamide and docosaenoylethanolamide but not palmitoylethanolamide and stearoylethanolamide (..
- Reversible inhibition of the platelet procoagulant response through manipulation of the Gardos channelJef L Wolfs
Department of Biochemistry, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Blood 108:2223-8. 2006..Inhibition by Gardos channel blockers was reversed by valinomycin, a selective K+ ionophore...
- [The influence of plasma membrane ion permeability modulators on superoxide formation and bioelectrical characteristics of wheat root cells]V Ia Alekseeva
Tsitologiia 47:578-83. 2005..It was shown that a 2 h treatment of excised roots with valinomycin (Val, 20 microM), N, N'-dicyclohexylcarbodimide (DCCD, 100 microM), gramicidin S (Gr, 20 microM), ..
- TRPV1 regulators mediate gentamicin penetration of cultured kidney cellsSigrid E Myrdal
Oregon Hearing Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Hear Res 204:170-82. 2005..Membrane depolarization, induced by high extracellular K+ or valinomycin, also reduced GTTR uptake, suggesting electrophoretic permeation through ion channels...
- A combined experimental and quantum chemical study on the putative protonophoric activity of thiocyanatePeter Schonfeld
Institut fur Biochemie, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, D 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Biophys J 89:1504-15. 2005..Due to the easier removal of the hydration shell of SCN(-) relative to Cl(-), SCN(-) is favored in going across the membrane, giving rise to the protonophoric activity...
- Fluorescence measurements of free [Mg2+] by use of mag-fura 2 in Salmonella entericaElisabeth M Froschauer
Max F Perutz Laboratories, Department of Microbiology and Genetics, University of Vienna, Campus Vienna Biocenter, Dr Bohrgasse 9, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
FEMS Microbiol Lett 237:49-55. 2004..which increased the membrane potential DeltaPsi at the expense of DeltapH, and drastically reduced by valinomycin, which decreased the membrane potential DeltaPsi...
- The effect of the presence of valinomycin on the interfacial tension of lecithin membraneAneta D Petelska
Institute of Chemistry, University of Bialystok, Al J Pilsudskiego 11 4, 15 443 Bialystok, Poland
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 44:158-62. 2005The effect of the presence of valinomycin in lecithin membrane on its interfacial tension has been studied...
- Twofold effect of valinomycin on isolated spinach chloroplasts: uncoupling and inhibition of electron transportA Telfer
Botany Department, Imperial Collage, Prince Consort Road, London, Great Britain
Biochim Biophys Acta 333:343-52. 19741) Treatment of isolated chloroplasts with valinomycin above 10(-7) M inhibits both photophosphorylation and ms-delayed light emission, with maximum inhibition occurring at 10(-5) M...
- Influence of state-2 transition on the proton motive force across the thylakoid membrane in spinach chloroplastsJi Hu Su
Institute of Plant Physiology and Ecology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Photosynth Res 85:235-45. 2005..The time course was not affected significantly by valinomycin and DBMIB...
- Phenolsulfonphthalein transport by potential-sensitive urate transport systemShirou Itagaki
Department of Clinical Pharmaceutics and Therapeutics, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hokkaido University, Kita 12 jo, Nishi 6 chome, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 0812, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 518:83-9. 2005..These results suggest that phenolsulfonphthalein has high affinity for the potential-sensitive urate transport system but has low affinity for an anion exchanger...
- Energy coupling to nitrate uptake into the denitrifying cells of Paracoccus denitrificansIgor Kucera
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, CZ 61137 Brno, Czech Republic
Biochim Biophys Acta 1709:113-8. 2005..that dissipate the individual components of the proton motive force (short-chain fatty acids, nigericin, and valinomycin) upon the methyl viologen-coupled nitrate reductase activity in intact cells...
- Effects of inhibitors and NaCl on the oxidation of reduced inorganic sulfur compounds by a marine acidophilic, sulfur-oxidizing bacterium, Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans strain SHKazuo Kamimura
Department of Biological Function, Faculty of Agriculture, Okayama University, 1 1 1 Tsushima naka, Okayama 700 8530, Japan
Extremophiles 9:45-51. 2005..Thiosulfate-oxidizing activity was not inhibited by these uncouplers. Valinomycin did not inhibit the oxidation of sulfur compounds...
- Proton motive force-dependent Hoechst 33342 transport by the ABC transporter LmrA of Lactococcus lactisH Bart van den Berg van Saparoea
Department of Microbiology, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute, University of Groningen, Kerklaan 30, NL 9751 NN Haren, The Netherlands
Biochemistry 44:16931-8. 2005..Our data demonstrate that the LmrA-mediated Hoechst 33342 transport in membrane vesicles is influenced by the transmembrane pH gradient due to a pH-dependent partitioning of Hoechst 33342 into the membrane...
- Determination of the rate of K(+) movement through potassium channels in isolated rat heart and liver mitochondriaPiotr Bednarczyk
Department of Biophysics, Warsaw University Life of Science SGGW, Warsaw, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1777:540-8. 2008..Here we used increasing concentrations of K(+)-ionophore (valinomycin) to stimulate respiration by rat liver and heart mitochondria in the presence of the K(+)/H(+) exchanger ..
- Differentiated Paju cells have increased resistance to toxic effects of potassium ionophoresVera Teplova
Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Biophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences, RU 142290 Pushchino, Moscow Region, Russia
Acta Biochim Pol 51:539-44. 2004..Addition of the highly toxic potassium ionophores cereulide (4.5 and 9.0 ng/ml) or valinomycin (20 ng/ml), to cultures of undifferentiated Paju cells caused collapse of the mitochondrial membrane potential -..
- Carvedilol in heart mitochondria: protonophore or opener of the mitochondrial K(ATP) channels?P J Oliveira
Centro de Neurociências de Coimbra Dep Zoologia, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
Life Sci 69:123-32. 2001..By contrast, a K(ATP)-channel inhibitor, 5-hydroxydecanoic acid, did not affect carvedilol-induced depolarizations. Hence, our results suggest that carvedilol depresses mitochondrial delta psi by a weak protonophoretic mechanism...
- A collection of yeast mutants selectively resistant to ionophores acting on mitochondrial inner membraneSilvia Petrezselyova
Department of Genetics, Comenius University, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Mlynska dolina, 842 15 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Mitochondrion 8:117-29. 2008b>Valinomycin and nigericin are potassium ionophores acting selectively on the mitochondrial inner membrane of Saccharomyces cerevisiae [Kovac, L., Bohmerova, E., Butko, P., 1982a. Ionophores and intact cells. I...
- A high-throughput assay for mitochondrial membrane potential in permeabilized yeast cellsE Farrelly
Tularik Inc, Two Corporate Drive, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Anal Biochem 293:269-76. 2001..The fluorescence intensity responded vigorously to specific modulators in UCP1-expressing cells. This method has been adapted as a high-throughput assay to screen for modulators of mitochondrial membrane potential...
- Intracellular calibration of the fluorescent Mg2+ indicator furaptra in rat ventricular myocytesM Watanabe
Department of Physiology, Tokyo Medical University, 6-1-1 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-8402, Japan
Pflugers Arch 442:35-40. 2001..After the application of ionophores (ionomycin, monensin, nigericin and valinomycin), an immediate change in furaptra R was noted, followed by a slow change in R that reached a steady level in 2-..
- Voltammetric study on ion transport across a bilayer lipid membrane in the presence of a hydrophobic ion or an ionophoreOsamu Shirai
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, 606 8502, Japan
Anal Bioanal Chem 386:494-505. 2006..from one aqueous phase (W1) to another (W2) across a bilayer lipid membrane (BLM) containing a hydrophobic ion, valinomycin (Val) or gramicidin A (GA)...
- Activation of K+ channels induces apoptosis in vascular smooth muscle cellsS Krick
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, UCSD Medical Center, 200 W Arbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92103 8382, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 280:C970-9. 2001..K+ concentration from 5 to 40 mM also attenuated PASMC apoptosis induced by FCCP and the K+ ionophore valinomycin. These results suggest that FCCP-mediated apoptosis in PASMC is partially due to an increase of maxi-K channel ..
- Negative control of store-operated Ca2+ influx by B cell receptor cross-linkingA Hashimoto
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
J Immunol 166:1003-8. 2001..When membrane potential was held constant by the transmembrane K(+) concentration gradient in the presence of valinomycin, the BCR-mediated inhibition of SOC was still observed...
- The role of ABC transporters from Aspergillus nidulans in protection against cytotoxic agents and in antibiotic productionA C Andrade
Laboratory of Phytopathology, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Mol Gen Genet 263:966-77. 2000..hypersensitive phenotype to compounds such as cycloheximide, the cyclosporin derivative PSC 833, nigericin and valinomycin, indicating that AtrDp is involved in protection against cytotoxic compounds...
- Rubidium-86 uptake and energy metabolism in suspended human erythrocytes monitored by microdialysisI Ljungberg
Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Int Med Res 32:384-91. 2004..Erythrocytes were also treated with the K+ ionophore valinomycin or the Na+/K+-ATPase inhibitor ouabain...
- Reduced DIDS-sensitive chloride conductance in Ae1-/- mouse erythrocytesSeth L Alper
Molecular and Vascular Medicine Unit, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 41:22-34. 2008..Thus, loss of one or more distinct, DIDS-sensitive anion channel polypeptide(s) from the Ae1(-/-) red cell membrane cannot be ruled out as an explanation for the reduced DIDS-sensitive anion conductance...
- Potassium ion transport by valinomycin across a Hg-supported lipid bilayerLucia Becucci
Department of Chemistry, Florence University, 50019 Sesto Fiorentino, Florence, Italy
J Am Chem Soc 127:13316-23. 2005..and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, both in the absence and in the presence of the ionophore valinomycin. Impedance spectra, recorded from 1 x 10(-2) to 1 x 10(5) Hz over a potential range of 0...
- Characterization of the redox components of transplasma membrane electron transport system from Leishmania donovani promastigotesTanmoy Bera
Division of Medicinal Biochemistry, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700032, India
Biochim Biophys Acta 1725:314-26. 2005..cells on glucose substrate shut down almost completely upon addition of an uncoupler FCCP and K+-ionophore valinomycin. The most pronounced effects on O2 uptake were obtained by treatment with antimycin A, 2-heptadecyl-4-..
- Effect of natural amphipathic peptides on viability, membrane potential, cell shape and motility of mollicutesL Beven
Groupe Membranes et Osmorégulation, UPRES A CNRS Q6026, Universite de Rennes 1, Rennes, France
Res Microbiol 148:163-75. 1997..than bee-venom mellitin and most of the peptides produced by bacteria (globomycin, gramicidin S, surfactin and valinomycin) or fungi (alamethicin)...
- Potential antivirals and antiviral strategies against SARS coronavirus infectionsErik De Clercq
Rega Institute for Medical Research, KU Leuven, Minderbroedersstraat 10B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 4:291-302. 2006..of action but selectivity indexes up to 100, have been reported to exhibit in vitro activity against SARS-CoV: valinomycin, glycopeptide antibiotics, plant lectins, hesperetin, glycyrrhizin, aurintricarboxylic acid, chloroquine, ..
- The mechanism of glucose 6-phosphate transport by Escherichia coliL A Sonna
Department of Physiology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
J Biol Chem 263:6625-30. 1988..took up Glc-6-P to levels 100-fold above medium concentration in a reaction unaffected by the ionophores valinomycin, valinomycin plus nigericin, and carbonyl cyanide p-trifluoromethoxyphenylhydrazone...
- Glutamine transport in rat brain synaptic and non-synaptic mitochondriaB Roberg
Neurochemical Laboratory, University of Oslo, Norway
Neurochem Res 24:383-90. 1999..This uptake is inhibited by valinomycin in the presence of K+ and is thus also activated by the membrane potential...
- Cereulide synthetase gene cluster from emetic Bacillus cereus: structure and location on a mega virulence plasmid related to Bacillus anthracis toxin plasmid pXO1Monika Ehling-Schulz
Lehrstuhl für Mikrobielle Ökologie, Department für biowissenschaftliche Grundlagen, WZW, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising, Germany
BMC Microbiol 6:20. 2006Cereulide, a depsipeptide structurally related to valinomycin, is responsible for the emetic type of gastrointestinal disease caused by Bacillus cereus...
- Renal handling of taurine, L-alanine, L-glutamate and D-glucose in Opsanus tau: studies on isolated brush border membrane vesiclesN A Wolff
Division of Biology and Medicine, Brown University, Rhode Island 02906
J Comp Physiol B 157:573-81. 1987..At high extravesicular K+, the addition of valinomycin reduced taurine uptake...
- A bacitracin-resistant Bacillus subtilis gene encodes a homologue of the membrane-spanning subunit of the Bacillus licheniformis ABC transporterReiko Ohki
Department of Molecular Biolog, School of Health Sciences, Kyorin University, 476 Miyashita, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0005, Japan
J Bacteriol 185:51-9. 2003..Resistance to other drugs such as surfactin, iturin A, vancomycin, tunicamycin, gramicidin D, valinomycin and several cationic dyes were not changed in the ywoA disruptant...
- 4,6-Dinitro-o-cresol uncouples oxidative phosphorylation and induces membrane permeability transition in rat liver mitochondriaR F Castilho
Departamento de Patologia Clínica NMCE, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade, Estadual de Campinas, SP, Brazil
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 29:1005-11. 1997..was evidenced by the induction of mitochondrial swelling in hyposmotic K(+)-acetate medium, in the presence of valinomycin. At higher concentrations (> 50 microM), DNOC also induces an inhibition of succinate-supported respiration, ..
- ATP depletion does not account for apoptosis induced by inhibition of mitochondrial electron transport chain in human dopaminergic cellsMasahiko Watabe
Department of Pharmacology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi Ward, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
Neuropharmacology 52:536-41. 2007..phosphorylation inhibitors (OPIs), including a specific F(0)F(1)ATP synthase inhibitor oligomycin, an ionophore valinomycin and an uncoupler 2,4-dinitrophenol, as tools to deplete only ATP without influencing the ETC...
- Effect of sydnone SYD-1, a mesoionic compound, on energy-linked functions of rat liver mitochondriaGerusa Clazer Halila
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Parana, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Chem Biol Interact 169:160-70. 2007..membrane, as demonstrated by assays of mitochondrial swelling in the presence of sodium acetate and valinomycin +K(+). SYD-1 (1...
- Reconstitution into liposomes of the B degrees -like glutamine-neutral amino acid transporter from renal cell plasma membraneFrancesca Oppedisano
Department of Cell Biology, University of Calabria, Via P Bucci 4c, 87036 Arcavacata di Rende, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1778:2258-65. 2008..The transporter showed low if there is any tolerance towards the substitution of Na+ or K+ for other cations. Valinomycin strongly stimulated the transport indicating that it is electrogenic. Intraliposomal glutamine had no effect...
- Control of proteoliposomal cytochrome c oxidase: the partial reactionsP Nicholls
Department of Biological Sciences, Brock University, St Catharines, Ont, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 68:1135-41. 1990..The maximal aerobic steady-state reduction level of cytochrome a is highest in the presence of valinomycin and lowest in the presence of nigericin...
- PROTON & ELECTRON TRANSFER & ENERGY COUPLING IN SITE ITOMOKO NONE OHNISHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..demonstrating that the signal is enhanced with an inside-positive membrane potential which was induced by the K-valinomycin method...
- IONOPHORES, TRANSPORT AND MEMBRANE STRUCTUREWilliam Duax; Fiscal Year: 1980..graphics and force field energy calculations (1) solid state data concerning complexed and uncomplexed forms of valinomycin, monensin, and other ionophores will be used to model the dynamics of ion capture and release processes, (2) ..
- CONTROL OF POTASSIUM TRANSPORT IN BLADDERPHILIP STEINMETZ; Fiscal Year: 1980..the luminal cell membrane is directly accessible to translocator molecules for potassium, either ionophores (valinomycin) or channel forming agents (nystatin, gramicidin), the effects of such translocators on transepithelial as well ..
- APOPTOSIS INDUCED BY MICROBIAL DEPSIPETIDESJ Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2004..the depsipeptide most often associated with food poisoning, is unknown, but it is structurally similar to valinomycin, a depsipeptide potassium ionophore...
- BINDING, TRANSPORT OF CALCIUM AND POTASSIUM IONOPHORESDuncan Haynes; Fiscal Year: 1980..fluorescence decay functions of the Ca2 ion ionophores X537A and A23187 and the K ion ionophore dansyl-lysine-valinomycin will be studied in phospholipid vesicle membranes and in organic solvents to establish the "effective polarity" ..
- Assembly & Conductance of Fo Sector of E coli H+-ATPaseWILLIAM BRUSILOW; Fiscal Year: 2004..into liposomes, and the single-channel F0 proton flux will by measured after the formation of a potassium/valinomycin-induced electrical gradient...
- Modulation of NHE Activity by EPEC InfectionPradeep Dudeja; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our findings may aid in the future development of improved therapeutic modalities for infectious diarrhea. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Function and regulation of cardiac Na transportersDonald Hilgemann; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) In parallel with the experimental program, we will develop improved mathematical models of cardiac ion homeostasis with an emphasis on these three Na transporters. ..
- Volume Regulatory Pathways in Cystic Fibrosis MiceWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Antibiotics Discovery from the Great LakesYi Qiang Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of Glycosylation on RBC Ca2+ Pump in DiabetesROBERT BOOKCHIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..amounts among normal RBCs ("CVres" RBCs: resistant to dehydration when K-permeabilized by [Ca2+ + A23187] or Valinomycin), also had a high %Hb A1c, suggesting that they represent senescent RBCs; and (iii) that CVres RBCs show loss ..
- RBC Ion Transporters as Hemoglobinopathy Risk ModifiersSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed experiments will increase understanding of sickle cell disease and thalassemia by providing mouse models for genetic tests of new drug therapies under development for near-term clinical testing. ..
- MOLECULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF BAND 3 LIKE PROTEINS OF KIDNEYSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2007..5. Define aspects of transcriptional and translational regulation of AE gene products in kidney of mutant and parental mouse strains and in cultured kidney cells. ..
- Sickle Red Cell K+ Transporter Genetics in S. cerevisiaeSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2002..3) (Provisional Aim): Time permitting, to improve, validate, and standardize growth rescue of trk1delta/trk2delta S. cerevisiae by expression in nonpermissive conditions of cDNA encoding the mammalian IK1 K(ca) channel. ..
- Structure Function Analysis of TB PyrazinamidaseYing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide important information about mechanisms of PZA action and resistance and may help design new antituberculosis drugs. ..
- SICKLING MECHANISMS AND RED CELL MEMBRANESROBERT BOOKCHIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Once characterized, these will serve investigations within the above three aims. ..
- ION CHANNEL REGULATION BY THE CYTOPLASMIC TAIL OF PDK1Seth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2005..We will search for novel interacting proteins, and prepare protein suitable for structural analysis. ..
- BILIARY SECRETORY PATHWAYS IN CYSTIC FIBROSISWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Release of Apoptogenic Proteins from Brain MitochondriaNickolay Brustovetsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..