- Synthesis of polyprenylated acylphloroglucinols using bridgehead lithiation: the total synthesis of racemic clusianone and a formal synthesis of racemic garsubellin A
Nadia M Ahmad
School of Chemistry, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
J Org Chem 72:4803-15. 2007
..This enabled a formal synthesis of racemic garsubellin A by accessing one of the late intermediates in the Danishefsky synthesis...
- Frontal cortical alpha7 and alpha4beta2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in working and reference memory
Wai Kit Chan
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 14 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543, Singapore
Neuropharmacology 52:1641-9. 2007
..Our data thus sheds further light on the frontal cortex as an important anatomical locus for nAchR-mediated memory function in the brain, and highlights the differing role of alpha7 and alpha4beta2 nAchRs in long and short term memory...
- Volatile components of peel and leaf oils of lemon and lime species
Marie Laure Lota
Université de Corse, Equipe Chimie et Biomasse, UMR CNRS 6134, Route des Sanguinaires, 20000 Ajaccio, France
J Agric Food Chem 50:796-805. 2002
..Four others were identified for lime leaf oils: beta-pinene/limonene; limonene/geranial/neral; limonene/linalool/citronellal; and limonene/sabinene/citronellal/linalool. These results were interpreted using principal component analysis...
- Activation of the α7 nicotinic ACh receptor induces anxiogenic effects in rats which is blocked by a 5-HT₁a receptor antagonist
Anshul A Pandya
Laboratory of Neurobiology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, MD F2 08, PO Box 12233, NC 27709, USA
Neuropharmacology 70:35-42. 2013
..These results suggest that α7 nAChR PAMs are pharmacologically advantageous over agonists, and should be considered for further development as therapeutic drugs targeting the α7 receptors...
- Effects of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonists on cognition in rhesus monkeys with a chronic cocaine self-administration history
Robert W Gould
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neuropharmacology 64:479-88. 2013
..The cognitive enhancing effects of nAChR agonists may be beneficial in combination with behavioral treatments for cocaine addiction. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Cognitive Enhancers'...
- Behavioral effects of PNU-282987, an alpha7 nicotinic receptor agonist, in mice
Department of Psychology, IISPV, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, 43007 Tarragona, Spain
Behav Brain Res 216:341-8. 2011
- Group II and III mGluRs-mediated presynaptic inhibition of EPSCs recorded from hippocampal interneurons of CA1 stratum lacunosum moleculare
Christopher J Price
Medical Research Council, Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TH, UK
Neuropharmacology 49:45-56. 2005
..Our results show powerful modulation of excitatory transmission impinging on interneurons of CA1 SLM by presynaptic group II or III mGluRs...
- Activation of alpha7 acetylcholine receptors augments stimulation-induced hippocampal theta oscillation
C J Siok
Department of Neuroscience, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Eastern Point Road, Groton, CT 06340, USA
Eur J Neurosci 23:570-4. 2006
..Given the connection between hippocampal theta oscillation and cognitive processes, it is proposed that precognitive actions of alpha7 nAChR agonists could be mediated, at least in part, by modulation of hippocampal oscillatory activity...
- Hyperforin acts as an angiogenesis inhibitor
Christoph M Schempp
Department of Dermatology, University of Freiburg, Germany
Planta Med 71:999-1004. 2005
..These data suggest that, in addition to the induction of tumor cell apoptosis, hyperforin can also suppress angiogenesis by a direct, non-toxic effect on endothelial cells...
- The combined effects of vinclozolin and procymidone do not deviate from expected additivity in vitro and in vivo
Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition, Danish Veterinary and Food Administration, Mørkhøj Bygade 19, DK 2860 Søborg, Denmark
Toxicol Sci 71:251-62. 2003
- Hyperforin and its analogues inhibit CYP3A4 enzyme activity
Ju Young Lee
Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Building A15, Science Road, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Phytochemistry 67:2550-60. 2006
..63 microM) and furohyperforin (IC(50) 1.3 microM). As the acylphloroglucinols are potent inhibitors of the CYP3A4 enzyme, their modulation of the enzyme activity is unlikely to be involved in increased drug metabolism by St. John's wort...
- The selective alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist PNU-282987 [N-[(3R)-1-Azabicyclo[2.2.2]oct-3-yl]-4-chlorobenzamide hydrochloride] enhances GABAergic synaptic activity in brain slices and restores auditory gating deficits in anesthetized rats
Department of Neuroscience, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Eastern Point Rd, Groton, CT 06340, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 312:1213-22. 2005
..These results provide further support for the concept that drugs that selectively activate alpha7 nAChRs may offer a novel, potential pharmacotherapy in treatment of schizophrenia...
- Chemopreventive effects of ONO-8711, a selective prostaglandin E receptor EP(1) antagonist, on breast cancer development
Cancer Prevention Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, 1 1 Tsukiji 5 chome, Chuo Ku, Tokyo 104 0045
Carcinogenesis 22:2001-4. 2001
..These results suggest that EP(1) receptor is associated with breast cancer development and selective PGE receptor EP(1) antagonists may possess chemopreventive effects through the induction of apoptosis without any side effects...
- Prostaglandin E2 receptor EP1 transactivates EGFR/MET receptor tyrosine kinases and enhances invasiveness in human hepatocellular carcinoma cells
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Cell Physiol 207:261-70. 2006
..These findings disclose a cross-talk between the COX-2/PGE(2)/EP(1) and EGFR/c-Met signaling pathways that coordinately regulate human HCC cell invasion...
- Halicyclamine A, a marine spongean alkaloid as a lead for anti-tuberculosis agent
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, Yamada oka 1 6, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem 16:6732-6. 2008
..smegmatis. However, IMPDH was not target for halicyclamine A, because halicyclamine A showed same MIC value against the wild-type M. smegmatis and IMPDH over-expressing strains...
- Activation of the alpha7 nAChR reduces acid-induced acute lung injury in mice and rats
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California San Francisco, HSW 825, 505 Parnassus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94143 0130, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 37:186-92. 2007
..These results indicate that activation of alpha7 nAChR may provide a new therapeutic pathway for the treatment of acute lung injury...
- Hyperforin: more than an antidepressant bioactive compound?
Miguel A Medina
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Malaga, E 29071 Malaga, Spain
Life Sci 79:105-11. 2006
..They include other neurological effects, effects on inflammation, as well as antibacterial, antitumoral and antiangiogenic effects...
- Mapping protein interfaces with a fluorogenic cross-linker and mass spectrometry: application to nebulin-calmodulin complexes
Laboratory of Physical Biology, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biochemistry 40:7903-13. 2001
..The cross-linking of amino acids 1-6 (MKTPEM) with amino acids 114-129 (YKENVGKATATPVTPE) and 115-129 (KENVGKATATPVTPE) in ND66 hints at an association of noncontiguous nebulin modules in solution...
- Hyperforin and aristoforin inhibit lymphatic endothelial cell proliferation in vitro and suppress tumor-induced lymphangiogenesis in vivo
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Institut für Toxikologie und Genetik, Postfach 3640, Karlsruhe, Germany
Int J Cancer 125:34-42. 2009
- In vitro antimalarial activity of hyperforin, a prenylated acylphloroglucinol. A structure-activity study
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, via Venezian 21, 20133 Milan, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:1544-8. 2007
..Related phloroglucinols like the hop beta-acids and the enantiomers of usnic acid showed only marginal activity, suggesting that hyperforin is a new antimalarial chemotype...
- The antidepressant mechanism of Hypericum perforatum
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via Eritrea 62, 20157, Milano, Italy
Life Sci 75:1021-7. 2004
..In the rat, Hypericum extract might indirectly activate sigma receptors in vivo (through the formation of an unknown metabolite or production of an endogenous ligand), suggesting a new target for its antidepressant effects...
- The fungicide procymidone alters sexual differentiation in the male rat by acting as an androgen-receptor antagonist in vivo and in vitro
Endocrinology Branch, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, US EPA, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Toxicol Ind Health 15:80-93. 1999
- Increased cell proliferation in the adult mouse hippocampus following chronic administration of group II metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonist, MGS0039
Psychiatric Diseases and Pain Research, Medicinal Pharmacology Laboratory, Medicinal Research Laboratories, Taisho Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 1 403 Yoshino cho, Kita ku, Saitama, Saitama 331 9530, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315:493-6. 2004
..These findings raise the possibility that MGS0039 may exert antidepressant-like effects by modulating cell proliferation in the hippocampus...
- Group II mGlu receptor agonists inhibit behavioural and electrophysiological effects of DOI in mice
Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 31 343 Cracow, Smetna 12, Poland
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73:327-32. 2002
..The data indicate that Group II mGlu receptor agonists may counteract the effects of hallucinogenic drugs...
- Enantioselective synthesis of bicyclo[3.1.0]hexane carbocyclic nucleosides via a lipase-catalyzed asymmetric acetylation. Characterization of an unusual acetal byproduct
Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute Frederick, 376 Boyles St, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Org Chem 67:5938-45. 2002
..This side reaction was also enzyme-catalyzed and was triggered by the byproduct acetaldehyde generated during the reaction...
- An mGluR2/3 antagonist, MGS0039, exerts antidepressant and anxiolytic effects in behavioral models in rats
Psychiatric Diseases and Pain Research, Medicinal Pharmacology Laboratory, Taisho Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 1 403 Yoshino cho, Kita ku, Saitama, Saitama 331 9530, Japan
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 186:587-93. 2006
..1.0]hexane-2,6-dicarboxylic acid (MGS0039) is a selective antagonist for group II metabotropic glutamate receptors (mGluR2/3), and that it exerted antidepressant effects in some animal behavioral tests...
- Neuropharmacological profiles of antagonists of group II metabotropic glutamate receptors
Research Strategy Group, Pharmaceutical Business Division, Taisho Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 1 403 Yoshino cho, Kita ku, Saitama, Saitama 331 9530, Japan
Neurosci Lett 378:131-4. 2005
..These findings suggest that modulation of serotonergic neuron might be, at least in part, responsible for the antidepressant-like effects of group II mGluR antagonists...
- AMPA receptor stimulation mediates the antidepressant-like effect of a group II metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonist
Jun Ichi Karasawa
Medicinal Pharmacology Laboratory, Taisho Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Kita ku, Saitama 331 9530, Japan
Brain Res 1042:92-8. 2005
..Pretreatment with NBQX significantly attenuated the increase in serotonin release by MGS0039. These findings suggest that stimulation of postsynaptic AMPA receptors plays a role in mediating the pharmacological effects of MGS0039...
- Hypericum perforatum, a source of neuroactive lead structures
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, Universita degli Studi di Milano, via Venezian 21, 20133 Milano, Italy
Curr Top Med Chem 3:187-201. 2003
..One clinical trial carried out using two extracts with different hyperforin content indicate this constituent as (one of) the main active principle responsible for the antidepressant activity...
- Hyperforin blocks neutrophil activation of matrix metalloproteinase-9, motility and recruitment, and restrains inflammation-triggered angiogenesis and lung fibrosis
Department of Experimental Biomedical Sciences, Medical School, Padova, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 321:492-500. 2007
..These results indicate that Hyp is a powerful anti-inflammatory compound with therapeutic potential, and they elucidate mechanistic keys...
- Hyperforin down-regulates effector function of activated T lymphocytes and shows efficacy against Th1-triggered CNS inflammatory-demyelinating disease
Department of Clinical and Experiment Medicine, Medical School, Padova, Italy
J Leukoc Biol 83:212-9. 2008
..Together, these properties qualify Hyp as a putative, therapeutic molecule for the treatment of autoimmune inflammatory disease sustained by Th1 cells, including EAE...
- St John's wort: Prozac from the plant kingdom
G Di Carlo
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano 49, 80131 Naples, Italy
Trends Pharmacol Sci 22:292-7. 2001
..However, important herb--drug interactions have been described. In view of its efficacy and safety records, St John's wort should be considered for the first-line treatment of mild to moderate depression...
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of hyperforin analogues. Part I. Modification of the enolized cyclohexanedione moiety
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, Universita di Milano, via Venezian 21, 20133 Milano, Italy
J Nat Prod 65:433-8. 2002
- Structural investigations of isomeric oxidised forms of hyperforin by HPLC-NMR and HPLC-MSn
J L Wolfender
Institut de Pharmacognosie et Phytochimie, Universite de Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Phytochem Anal 14:290-7. 2003
..The strategy followed for the on-line identification of these constituents is discussed...
- Hyperforin analogues from St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, via Venezian 21, 20133 Milano, Italy
J Nat Prod 63:412-5. 2000
..Three oxygenated analogues of the prenylated phloroglucinol hyperforin (3-5) were isolated from the aerial parts of Hypericum perforatum and their structures elucidated by spectroscopic methods...
- MGS0039: a potent and selective group II metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonist with antidepressant-like activity
Medicinal Research Laboratories, Taisho Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Saitama 331 9530, Japan
Neuropharmacology 46:457-67. 2004
..These results indicate that MGS0039 is a potent and selective antagonist of group II mGluR, and that group II mGluR antagonists, like MGS0039, have an antidepressant-like potential in experimental animal models...
- Modulation of chemoselectivity by protein additives. Remarkable effects in the oxidation of hyperforin
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, via Venezian 21, 20133 Milano, Italy
J Org Chem 69:7869-74. 2004
..The use of protein additives allows a straightforward and multigram preparation of the enollactone 6, an interesting multifunctionalized scaffold for bioactivity induction and/or modulation...
- Evaluation of hyperforin analogues for inhibition of 5-lipoxygenase
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Frankfurt, Marie Curie Str 9, D 60439 Frankfurt, Germany
Med Chem 1:287-91. 2005
..Our data show that some of the oxidised hyperforin derivatives possess even improved efficacy, whereas alkylation and acylation have detrimental effects...
- Hyperforin inhibits cancer invasion and metastasis
Department of Experimental Biomedical Sciences, Medical School of Padova, Italy
Cancer Res 64:6225-32. 2004
..These observations qualify Hyp-DCHA as an interesting lead compound to prevent and contrast cancer spread and metastatic growth...
- Physiological antagonism between 5-hydroxytryptamine(2A) and group II metabotropic glutamate receptors in prefrontal cortex
G J Marek
Department of Psychiatry and Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, Ribicoff Research Facilities of the Connecticut Mental Health Center, New Haven, CT 06508, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 292:76-87. 2000
- Instability of St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) and degradation of hyperforin in aqueous solutions and functional beverage
Catharina Y W Ang
National Center for Toxicological Research, U S Food and Drug Administration, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:6156-64. 2004
..The latter was also found in the drink product containing SJW as an ingredient. Biological activities and potential quality and safety implications of these chemical changes are yet to be evaluated...
- Protective effects of St. John's wort extract and its component hyperforin against cytokine-induced cytotoxicity in a pancreatic beta-cell line
Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologiche e Biomediche, University of Verona, Strada Le Grazie 8, 37134 Verona, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40:1509-21. 2008
..Thus, they are potentially valuable for the prevention or limitation of beta-cell loss in diabetes...
- Construction of highly functionalized medium-sized rings: synthesis of hyperforin and perforatumone model systems
K C Nicolaou
Department of Chemistry and Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:3895-9. 2005
- Effects of the antidepressant St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum) on rat and human vas deferens contractility
Departments of Experimental Pharmacology and Urology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples Italy
J Urol 173:2194-7. 2005
..John's wort (SJW) (Hypericum perforatum) we evaluated the effect of this herbal antidepressant on rat and human vas deferens contractility...
- Pseudohypericin and hyperforin in Hypericum perforatum from Northern Turkey: variation among populations, plant parts and phenological stages
Department of Agronomy, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ondokuz Mayis, 55139 Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
J Integr Plant Biol 50:575-80. 2008
..The present findings might be useful to optimize the processing methodology of wild-harvested plant material and obtain increased concentrations of these secondary metabolites...
- Hypericum perforatum extract in burning mouth syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled study
Unit of Oral Pathology and Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Pathol Med 37:395-401. 2008
..perforatum extract taken three times a day for 12 weeks improved the pain of BMS patients, although the general reduction in the number of sites with reported burning sensation, a less accurate and objective score, was significant...
- Investigation of the bioavailability of hypericin, pseudohypericin, hyperforin and the flavonoids quercetin and isorhamnetin following single and multiple oral dosing of a hypericum extract containing tablet
Hans Ulrich Schulz
LAFAA Laboratory for Contract Research in Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmaceutical Analytics GmbH, Bad Schwartau Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 55:15-22. 2005
..The kinetic characteristics of the hypericum flavonoids are reported here for the first time. The trial preparation was well tolerated...
- Biosynthesis of the hyperforin skeleton in Hypericum calycinum cell cultures
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie, Technische Universitat Braunschweig, Mendelssohnstrasse 1, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Phytochemistry 66:139-45. 2005
..The three type III polyketide synthases were separated by anion exchange chromatography...
- The first prenylation step in hyperforin biosynthesis
Institut fuer Pharmazeutische Biologie, Technische Universitaet Braunschweig, Mendelssohnstr 1, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Phytochemistry 66:51-7. 2005
..The formation of hyperforins in H. calycinum cell cultures was preceded by an increase in dimethylallyltransferase activity, with the maximum specific activity being 3.6 microkat/kg protein...
- Bioactive constituent production in St. John's Wort in vitro hairy roots. Regenerated plant lines
Dipartimento di Chimica Bioorganica e Biofarmacia DCBB, Universita di Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 56:5078-82. 2008
..25 mg/gdw) than that reported for the in vitro shoots in the literature. Morphological and phytochemical features were determined in order to select H. perforatum genotypes enriched in valuable bioactive compounds...
- Functional induction and de-induction of P-glycoprotein by St. John's wort and its ingredients in a human colon adenocarcinoma cell line
Department of Medico Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 33:547-54. 2005
..Hyperforin is considered to be a primary cause of the inductive effect of St. John's wort. Long-term administration of St. John's wort may cause clinically significant decrease in the plasma concentrations of P-glycoprotein substrates...
- A mechanistic study on altered pharmacokinetics of irinotecan by St. John's wort
Ze Ping Hu
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Science Drive 4, 117543, Singapore
Curr Drug Metab 8:157-71. 2007
..Further studies are needed to explore the role of both pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic components in the protective effect of SJW against the toxicities of CPT-11...
- Biosynthesis of hyperforin and adhyperforin from amino acid precursors in shoot cultures of Hypericum perforatum
Department of Biology, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Phytochemistry 68:1038-45. 2007
..0-fold increase in the accumulation of adhyperforin. The administration of L-valine at concentrations of 0-5mM had no stimulating effect on the hyperforin production in H. perforatum shoot cultures...
- Hyperforin accumulates in the translucent glands of Hypericum perforatum
Biological Institute, Department of Evolutionary Biology, University of Copenhagen, Botanical Laboratory, Gothersgade 140, 1123 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Bot 99:1097-100. 2007
..Hypericum perforatum contains the therapeutically important compounds hypericin and hyperforin. Hypericin is known to accumulate in the dark glands. This investigation aimed to determine the accumulation site of hyperforin...
- Hypericin and hyperforin production in St. John's wort in vitro culture: influence of saccharose, polyethylene glycol, methyl jasmonate, and Agrobacterium tumefaciens
University of Veterinary and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Palackeho 1 3, CZ 61242 Brno, Czech Republic
J Agric Food Chem 55:6147-53. 2007
..The obtained results will be applied in experimental botany and in the technology of H. perforatum cultivation for pharmaceutical applications...
- Simultaneous determination of total hypericin and hyperforin in St. John's wort extracts by HPLC with electrochemical detection
Institut für Pharmazeutische Wissenschaften, Karl Franzens Universitat Graz, Schubertstrasse 1, A 8010 Graz, Austria
Phytochem Anal 18:204-8. 2007
..For quantification, an HPLC method with electrochemical detection was applied. As an example of the application of the principle, two preparations containing St. John's wort were assayed...
- Topical anti-inflammatory activity of extracts and compounds from Hypericum perforatum L
Dipartimento dei Materiali e delle Risorse Naturali, Universita di Trieste, Trieste, Italy
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:703-9. 2007
..The pharmacological activity and phytochemical profile of the tested extracts and fraction suggest that different constituents are involved in the topical antiphlogistic property of H. perforatum in-vivo...
- Mass spectral characterization of phloroglucinol derivatives hyperforin and adhyperforin
Institute for Marine Biosciences, 1411 Oxford Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3Z1, Canada
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20:2641-8. 2006
..This information is expected to be especially valuable for the characterization of related compounds, such as degradation products, metabolites and novel synthetic analogs of hyperforin...
- Hypericum perforatum: a 'modern' herbal antidepressant: pharmacokinetics of active ingredients
Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, ZAFES, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Clin Pharmacokinet 45:449-68. 2006
..perforatum extract has been investigated in only one study. More data are available for rutin and the aglycone quercetin after administration of pure substances or other flavonoid sources...
- Effect of eluent pH on the HPLC-UV analysis of hyperforin from St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum L.)
Jean Dominique Fourneron
Laboratory of Galenic and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille, France
Phytochem Anal 17:71-7. 2006
- [Hypericin and hyperforin: bioactive components of St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum). Their isolation, analysis and study of physiological effect]
Akademie ved Ceské republiky, Biofyzikální ústav, Brno
Ceska Slov Farm 56:62-6. 2007
..The review paper surveys the present knowledge of chemical and analytical methods for their identification and quantification, physiological activity, and pharmacological and biomedical applications of hypericin and hyperforin...
- Differential accumulation of hyperforin and secohyperforin in Hypericum perforatum tissue cultures
Yerevan State University, Faculty of Biology, Alex Manoogian Street 1, Yerevan, Armenia
Phytochemistry 68:2670-7. 2007
..No differential stimulation was observed after elicitor treatment. Hyperforin and secohyperforin are proposed to arise from a branch point in the biosynthetic pathway...
- Inhibition of prostaglandin E(2) production by anti-inflammatory hypericum perforatum extracts and constituents in RAW264.7 Mouse Macrophage Cells
Kimberly D P Hammer
The Center for Research on Botanical Dietary Supplements, Interdepartmental Genetics Graduate Program, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
J Agric Food Chem 55:7323-31. 2007
- St. John's wort: role of active compounds for its mechanism of action and efficacy
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
Wien Med Wochenschr 157:356-61. 2007
..Although there are some open questions, the bulk of data suggests that several groups of active compounds are contributing to the antidepressant efficacy of the plant extract...
- St. John's wort
Department of Clinical Prevention, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Am Fam Physician 72:2249-54. 2005
..Studies of St. John's wort for the treatment of major depression have had conflicting results. St. John's wort is generally well tolerated, although it may potentially reduce the effectiveness of several pharmaceutical drugs...
- Investigation of pharmacokinetic data of hypericin, pseudohypericin, hyperforin and the flavonoids quercetin and isorhamnetin revealed from single and multiple oral dose studies with a hypericum extract containing tablet in healthy male volunteers
Hans Ulrich Schulz
LAFAA Laboratory for Contract Research in Clinical Pharmacology and Biopharmaceutical Analytics GmbH, Bad Schwartau, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 55:561-8. 2005
..The data obtained for the five consitituents generally corresponded well with values previously published. The trial preparation was well tolerated...
- Undeclared exposure to St. John's Wort in hospitalized patients
Department of Internal Medicine VI, Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacoepidemiology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 58:437-41. 2004
- The production of hypericins and hyperforin by in vitro cultures of St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1048, USA
Biotechnol Appl Biochem 39:71-81. 2004
..Additionally, factors optimizing compound production--particularly in in vitro cultures--are presented and reviewed...
- Researching the antidepressant actions of Hypericum perforatum (St. John's wort) in animals and man
University of Oxford Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, UK
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S29-37. 2001
..The data also suggests that hyperforin may be more important than hypericin for effecting these changes following acute treatment. Further studies investigating both acute and sub-chronic effects of these compounds are necessary...
- Biosynthesis of hyperforin in Hypericum perforatum
Lehrstuhl fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lichtenbergstrasse 4, D 85747 Garching, Germany
J Med Chem 45:4786-93. 2002
..The phloroglucinol moiety is generated via a polyketide type mechanism...
- Evaluation of synaptosomal uptake inhibition of most relevant constituents of St. John's wort
Department of Pharmacology, Biocenter Niederursel, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S148-51. 2001
..Further investigations would have to clarify any possible contribution of these two constituents to the antidepressive effects of SJW extract seen in animal experiments and clinical trials...
- Effects of two different extracts of St. John's wort and some of their constituents on cytochrome P450 activities in rat liver microsomes
Department of Pharmacology, Dr Willmar Schwabe GmbH and Co, Karlsruhe, FRG
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S108-10. 2001
..Our results demonstrated that the reported interactions between St. John's Wort and various other drugs are not mediated by CYP 450 isoforms present in rat liver...
- Hyperforin a constituent of St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L.) extract induces apoptosis by triggering activation of caspases and with hypericin synergistically exerts cytotoxicity towards human malignant cell lines
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 56:121-32. 2003
..Cytocidal effects of HP and its cooperation with HY on tumor growth inhibition in a synergistic manner make the St John's wort an interesting option in cancer warranting further in vitro and in vivo investigation...
- [Formulation of St. John's wort extract. A medicinal obstacle course]
Peter Christian Schmidt
Universität Tübingen Pharmazeutisches Institut Lehrstuhl Pharmazeutische Technologie Auf der Morgenstelle 8 72076 Tübingen
Pharm Unserer Zeit 32:203-11. 2003
- Step by step removal of hyperforin and hypericin: activity profile of different Hypericum preparations in behavioral models
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Universitätsklinikum Muenster, Domagkstrasse 12, 48149 Muenster, Germany
Life Sci 73:627-39. 2003
..We also could show that hyperforin contributes to the beneficial properties of SJW extract, confirming the hypothesis that the crude SJW extract contains several constituents with antidepressant activity...
- Role of hyperforin in the antidepressant-like activity of Hypericum perforatum extracts
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via Eritrea 62, 20157 Milan, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 164:423-8. 2002
..Hyperforin has been identified as an active constituent of Hypericum perforatum but its importance in the antidepressant effect of this plant's extracts is not really known...
- An in vitro and hydroponic growing system for hypericin, pseudohypericin, and hyperforin production of St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum CV new stem)
Susan J Murch
Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Planta Med 68:1108-12. 2002
..These data provide evidence that greenhouse hydroponic systems can be effectively used for the efficient production of St. John's wort and other medicinal plants...
- 2.1 A crystal structure of human PXR in complex with the St. John's wort compound hyperforin
Ryan E Watkins
Department of Chemistry, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Biochemistry 42:1430-8. 2003
- Simultaneous determination of hypericin and hyperforin in human plasma and serum using liquid-liquid extraction, high-performance liquid chromatography and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry
Institute of Analytical Chemistry and Radiochemistry, Leopold Franzens University, Innrain 52a, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 777:147-53. 2002
..John's Wort extract capsules. Blood samples were taken 2, 4, and 6 h after ingestion. Finally, this method proved to be highly suitable for clinical and pharmacologically relevant studies...
- In vitro binding studies with two hypericum perforatum extracts--hyperforin, hypericin and biapigenin--on 5-HT6, 5-HT7, GABA(A)/benzodiazepine, sigma, NPY-Y1/Y2 receptors and dopamine transporters
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:S45-8. 2001
- Fast high-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of naphthodianthrones and phloroglucinols from Hypericum perforatum extracts
Department of Chemistry, University of Oulu, PO Box 3000, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Phytochem Anal 14:306-9. 2003
..1 to 17% within these ranges. Lower levels of quantitative determination were 2 microg/mL for hyperforin and 0.5 microg/mL for hypericin, while detection limits were 0.1 and 0.02 microg/mL, respectively...
- Inhibitory effect of the antidepressant St. John's wort (hypericum perforatum) on rat bladder contractility in vitro
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Urology 64:168-72. 2004
..To evaluate the effect of St. John's wort (SJW), an effective and safe herbal antidepressant, on rat bladder contractility. Recent data have suggested a strong association between depression and urinary incontinence...
- Quantitative characterization of direct P-glycoprotein inhibition by St John's wort constituents hypericin and hyperforin
Er jia Wang
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Schering Plough Research Institute, Lafayette, NJ 07848, USA
J Pharm Pharmacol 56:123-8. 2004
- Induction of hypericins and hyperforins in Hypericum perforatum in response to damage by herbivores
Tara M Sirvent
Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
J Chem Ecol 29:2667-81. 2003
..Although the leaf damage index of the specialist feeding was 2.7 times greater, C. quadrigemina had little effect on H. perforatum chemical defenses in response to feeding damage in comparison to generalist feeding...
- A preliminary approach to nonenolizable beta,beta-tricarbonyls: assembly of a hyperevolutin prototype
David G J Young
Department of Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
J Org Chem 67:3134-7. 2002
..Treatment of 20 with Raney nickel and hydrogen gas produced primary enamine 21 which contains a nonenolizable beta,beta-tricarbonyl group in latent form...
- Quantitative analysis of the active components and the by-products of eight dry extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. (St John's Wort)
S G von Eggelkraut-Gottanka
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Auf der Morgenstelle 8, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Phytochem Anal 13:170-6. 2002
..9-8.3%) was estimated by elemental analysis. Thus, 60-70% of the compounds of the H. perforatum dry extracts have been quantified...
- Extracts of St. John's wort and various constituents affect beta-adrenergic binding in rat frontal cortex
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Domagkstrasse 12, 48149 Munster, Germany
Life Sci 74:1027-38. 2004
..Compared to the SJW extracts and single compounds the effect of imipramine on beta-AR-binding was more pronounced in both treatment paradigms...
- Determining hyperforin and hypericin content in eight brands of St. John's wort
Gerlie C de los Reyes
School of Pharmacy, University of Southern California, 1985 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90089 9121, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 59:545-7. 2002
- Short term treatment with St. John's wort, hypericin or hyperforin fails to induce CYP450 isoforms in the Swiss Webster mouse
B J Bray
Department of Pharmacology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Life Sci 70:1325-35. 2002
..These results indicate that four days of treatment with moderate to high doses of SJW, hyperforin or hypericin fails to induce these CYP450 isoforms in the male Swiss Webster mouse...
- Effect of St. John's wort on free radical production
E J Hunt
University of Georgia College of Pharmacy, Department of Clinical and Administrative Sciences, Athens 30602, USA
Life Sci 69:181-90. 2001
..The results of this study suggest that St. John's wort inhibits free radical production in both cell-free and human vascular tissue...
- Separation of hypericins and hyperforins in extracts of Hypericum perforatum L. using non-aqueous capillary electrophoresis with reversed electro-osmotic flow
Anette Gemal Jensen
Department of Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, The Royal Danish School of Pharmacy, Universitetsparken 2, DK 2100, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Pharm Biomed Anal 27:167-76. 2002
..The technique of non-aqueous capillary electrophoresis with reversed electro-osmotic flow provides a very fast technique to evaluate the composition of hypericins and hyperforins in extracts of Hypericum perforatum L...
- St John's wort, a herbal antidepressant, activates the steroid X receptor
J M Wentworth
Department of Medicine, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ, UK
J Endocrinol 166:R11-6. 2000
..Future development of SJW derivatives lacking SXR activation, may enable its antidepressant and drug-metabolising properties to be dissociated...
- Xenobiotic organic compounds in leachates from ten Danish MSW landfills--chemical analysis and toxicity tests
Environment and Resources DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Bygningstorvet, Building 115, DK 2800 Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Water Res 38:3845-58. 2004
..The compounds belong to the following groups: BTEX, C3-benzenes, bicyclo compounds, napthalenes, chlorinated aliphatics, phenols (chloro-, methyl-, dimethyl, nonyl-), pesticides, and ..
- Synthesis and in vitro muscarinic activities of a series of 3-(pyrazol-3-yl)-1-azabicyclo[2.2.2]octanes
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, N V Organon, Oss, The Netherlands
Bioorg Med Chem 8:449-54. 2000
..Preferential inhibition of OXO-M binding was used as an indicator for potential muscarinic agonistic properties; this potential was confirmed in functional studies on isolated organs...
- Removal of the 2.2.2 cryptand (Kryptofix 2.2.2) from 18FDG by cation exchange
D L Alexoff
Department of Chemistry, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973
Int J Rad Appl Instrum A 42:1189-93. 1991
..Quality assurance tests including apyrogenicity, sterility, radiochemical purity, carbohydrate composition and pH were not compromised by the incorporation of the cryptand removal cartridge...
- Characterisation of an mGlu8 receptor-selective agonist and antagonist in the lateral and medial perforant path inputs to the dentate gyrus
Marion S Mercier
MRC Centre for Synaptic Plasticity, School of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Bristol, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, Bristol BS1 3NY, UK
Neuropharmacology 67:294-303. 2013
..MDCPG may be a useful tool in determining whether observable DCPG effects are attributable to mGlu8, versus mGlu2, receptor activation...
- Reagent-based DOS: developing a diastereoselective methodology to access spirocyclic- and fused heterocyclic ring systems
V Surendra Babu Damerla
GVK Biosciences Pvt Ltd, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, 28 A IDA Nacharam, Hyderabad, India
Chem Asian J 7:2351-60. 2012
..In summary, our DOS methodology affords new, diverse scaffolds, thereby resulting in compounds that may have significance in medicinal chemistry...
- Synthesis of 2-aminomethyl-4-phenyl-1-azabicyclo[2.2.1]heptanes via LiAlH₄-induced reductive cyclization of 2-(4-chloro-2-cyano-2-phenylbutyl)aziridines and evaluation of their antimalarial activity
Department of Sustainable Organic Chemistry and Technology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Coupure Links 653, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 23:1507-10. 2013
..Furthermore, the proposed mode of action was supported by ligand docking studies, pointing to a strong binding interaction with the enzyme plasmepsin II...
- Ozonolysis of beta-pinene: temperature dependence of secondary organic aerosol mass fraction
Center for Atmospheric Particle Studies, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:5081-6. 2008
..The parametrization predicts much higher SOA production for beta-pinene ozonolysis for typical atmospheric conditions than the values that have been suggested by previous studies...
- Asymmetric total synthesis of (+)- and (-)-clusianone and (+)- and (-)-clusianone methyl enol ether via ACC alkylation and evaluation of their anti-HIV activity
Michelle R Garnsey
Department of Chemistry, Duke University, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21:2406-9. 2011
..The four synthetic compounds were evaluated for their anti-HIV activity. Both (+)- and (-)-clusianone displayed significant anti-HIV activity...
- The role of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) α7 subtype in the functional interaction between nicotine and ethanol in mouse cerebellum
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina 27834, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:540-9. 2011
..This study, an extension of earlier work, was intended to investigate the possible role of nAChR subtype α(7) in mitigating ethanol ataxia...