Genomes and Genes
Summary: AMANTADINE derivative that has some dopaminergic effects. It has been proposed as an antiparkinson agent.
Publications327 found, 100 shown here
- Memantine: a NMDA receptor antagonist that improves memory by restoration of homeostasis in the glutamatergic system--too little activation is bad, too much is even worseChris G Parsons
Merz Pharmaceuticals, Eckenheimer Landstrasse 100, 60318 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Neuropharmacology 53:699-723. 2007..b>Memantine received marketing authorization from the EMEA (European Medicines Agency) for the treatment of moderate to ..
- Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's diseaseRobert Howard
Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London SE5 8AF, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 366:893-903. 2012..Clinical trials have shown the benefits of cholinesterase inhibitors for the treatment of mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease. It is not known whether treatment benefits continue after the progression to moderate-to-severe disease...
- Memantine preferentially blocks extrasynaptic over synaptic NMDA receptor currents in hippocampal autapsesPeng Xia
Del E Webb Center for Neuroscience, Aging, and Stem Cell Research, Sanford Burnham Medical Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
J Neurosci 30:11246-50. 2010..b>Memantine, an adamantane derivative, has been used for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease with an excellent clinical ..
- The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine and memantine for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (review of Technology Appraisal No. 111): a systematic review and economic modelM Bond
Peninsula Technology Assessment Group PenTAG, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Health Technol Assess 16:1-470. 2012..Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is the most commonly occurring form of dementia. It is predominantly a disease of later life, affecting 5% of those over 65 in the UK...
- Neuronal viability is controlled by a functional relation between synaptic and extrasynaptic NMDA receptorsF Leveille
UMR 6232 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique Université de Caen, GIP Cyceron, Bd Henri Becquerel, BP 5229 14074 Caen, France
FASEB J 22:4258-71. 2008..Finally, we demonstrated that the only clinically approved NMDAR antagonist, memantine, preferentially antagonizes extrasynaptic NMDARs...
- Effects of long-term memantine on memory and neuropathology in Ts65Dn mice, a model for Down syndromeJason Lockrow
Department of Neuroscience, Center on Aging, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Avenue, Ste 410D, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Behav Brain Res 221:610-22. 2011b>Memantine is a partial NMDA receptor antagonist that has been shown to improve learning and memory in several animal models, and is approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Acute injections of the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine rescue performance deficits of the Ts65Dn mouse model of Down syndrome on a fear conditioning testAlberto C S Costa
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Medicine, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:1624-32. 2008..Furthermore, we have found that acute injections (5 mg/kg, i.p.) of the uncompetitive NMDAR antagonist memantine rescue performance deficits of Ts65Dn mice on a fear conditioning test...
- Memantine improves spatial learning in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseRimante Minkeviciene
Department of Neuroscience and Neurology, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 311:677-82. 2004b>Memantine, a low- to moderate-affinity uncompetitive N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist, has been shown to improve learning and memory in several pharmacological models of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Failures and successes of NMDA receptor antagonists: molecular basis for the use of open-channel blockers like memantine in the treatment of acute and chronic neurologic insultsStuart A Lipton
The Burnham Institute, and the University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
NeuroRx 1:101-10. 2004..In contrast, studies in my laboratory were the first to show that memantine, an adamantane derivative, preferentially blocks excessive NMDA receptor activity without disrupting normal ..
- Effect of memantine on neuroretinal function and retinal vascular changes of streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsJyotirmoy Kusari
Department of Biological Sciences, Allergan Inc, Irvine, CA 92623 9534, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:5152-9. 2007To test whether chronic memantine (MEM) treatment improves retinal function and prevents neurodegeneration and vascular changes in the retinas of streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats.
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and memantine for neuroenhancement in healthy individuals: a systematic reviewDimitris Repantis
Department of Psychiatry, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Eschenallee 3, 14050 Berlin, Germany
Pharmacol Res 61:473-81. 2010..g. acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine) and memantine. Based on a systematic review we found that expectations about the potential of these drugs exceed their actual ..
- Lack of evidence for the efficacy of memantine in mild Alzheimer diseaseLon S Schneider
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Arch Neurol 68:991-8. 2011We directly assessed the clinical trials' evidence for memantine's efficacy in mild Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Mg2+ and memantine block of rat recombinant NMDA receptors containing chimeric NR2A/2D subunits expressed in Xenopus laevis oocytesDavid C Wrighton
Centre for Neuroscience Research, Hugh Robson Building, University of Edinburgh, George Square, Edinburgh, UK
J Physiol 586:211-25. 2008..receptors (NMDARs) display differences in their sensitivity to the channel blockers Mg(2+) and memantine that are dependent on the identity of the NR2 subunit present in the receptor-channel complex...
- Effects of memantine on behavioural symptoms in Alzheimer's disease patients: an analysis of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI) data of two randomised, controlled studiesS Gauthier
MCSA Alzheimer s Disease Research Unit, McGill Centre for Studies in Aging, Quebec, Canada
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 20:459-64. 2005..We have analysed the databases of two randomised studies with regard to the effects of memantine treatment on behavioural symptoms, measured using the 12-item version of the Neuropsychiatric Inventory (NPI).
- The anti-craving compound acamprosate acts as a weak NMDA-receptor antagonist, but modulates NMDA-receptor subunit expression similar to memantine and MK-801G Rammes
Clinical Neuropharmacology, Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstr 2, 80804 Munich, Germany
Neuropharmacology 40:749-60. 2001..was examined in vivo in rats, and compared to two effective non-competitive NMDA-receptor antagonists, memantine and MK-801. Electrophysiology in cultured hippocampal neurons (IC(50) approx. 5...
- Mechanism of action of memantineJon W Johnson
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Curr Opin Pharmacol 6:61-7. 2006b>Memantine is a clinically useful drug in many neurological disorders, including Alzheimer's disease...
- Memantine for the prevention of cognitive dysfunction in patients receiving whole-brain radiotherapy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialPaul D Brown
Corresponding Author Paul D Brown, MD, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Unit 97, Houston, TX 77030
Neuro Oncol 15:1429-37. 2013To determine the protective effects of memantine on cognitive function in patients receiving whole-brain radiotherapy (WBRT).
- Combination therapy in ischemic stroke: synergistic neuroprotective effects of memantine and clenbuterolCarsten Culmsee
Institut fur Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Philipps Universitat, Marburg, Germany
Stroke 35:1197-202. 2004..Therefore, we chose memantine and clenbuterol, both approved safe and efficient in their respective therapeutical categories, and examined ..
- Abeta oligomers induce neuronal oxidative stress through an N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-dependent mechanism that is blocked by the Alzheimer drug memantineFernanda G De Felice
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biol Chem 282:11590-601. 2007..b>Memantine, an open channel NMDA-R antagonist prescribed as a memory-preserving drug for AD patients, completely protected ..
- Memantine shows promise in reducing gambling severity and cognitive inflexibility in pathological gambling: a pilot studyJon E Grant
Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 2450 Riverside Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 212:603-12. 2010Although pathological gambling (PG) is relatively common, pharmacotherapy research for PG is limited. Memantine, an N-methyl D-aspartate receptor antagonist, appears to reduce glutamate excitability and improve impulsive decision making, ..
- Memantine: a review of its use in moderate to severe Alzheimer's diseaseKate McKeage
Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 23:881-97. 2009b>Memantine is an uncompetitive, moderate-affinity NMDA receptor antagonist that is indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease...
- Economic evaluation of the impact of memantine on time to nursing home admission in the treatment of Alzheimer diseaseJean Lachaine
University of Montreal, Quebec
Can J Psychiatry 56:596-604. 2011An observational study showed that combining memantine with a cholinesterase inhibitor (ChEI) treatment significantly delayed admission to nursing homes in patients with Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Memantine rescues transient cognitive impairment caused by high-molecular-weight aβ oligomers but not the persistent impairment induced by low-molecular-weight oligomersClaudia P Figueiredo
School of Pharmacy, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21944 590, Brazil
J Neurosci 33:9626-34. 2013..On the other hand, HMW oligomers, but not LMW oligomers, induced oxidative stress in hippocampal neurons. Memantine rescued both neuronal oxidative stress and the transient memory impairment caused by HMW oligomers, but did not ..
- Pathologically activated therapeutics for neuroprotectionStuart A Lipton
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, The Scripps Research Institute, and the University of California at San Diego 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, California 29, 037, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 8:803-8. 2007..This approach has already met with success, and has led to the development of the potentially neuroprotective drug memantine, an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-type and glutamate receptor antagonist.
- Alzheimer's disease, β-amyloid, glutamate, NMDA receptors and memantine--searching for the connectionsWojciech Danysz
Merz Pharmaceuticals GmbH, Eckenheimer Landstraße, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 167:324-52. 2012..Strong support for the clinical relevance of such interactions is provided by the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine. This substance is the only NMDA receptor antagonist used clinically in the treatment of AD and therefore offers ..
- Efficacy and safety of memantine in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer disease: the evidence to dateRoger Bullock
Kingshill Research Centre, Victoria Hospital, Swindon, UK
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 20:23-9. 2006b>Memantine, a moderate-affinity, uncompetitive N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist, is currently the only agent approved for moderately severe to severe Alzheimer disease (AD) in Europe and for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer disease in ..
- Accuracy of hippocampal network activity is disrupted by neuroinflammation: rescue by memantineS Rosi
Brain and Spinal Injury Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Brain 132:2464-77. 2009..Low doses of memantine, a low to moderate affinity open channel uncompetitive N-Methyl-d-aspartate receptor antagonist, reduce ..
- Exaggerated NMDA mediated LTD in a mouse model of Down syndrome and pharmacological rescuing by memantineJonah J Scott-McKean
Neuroscience Training Program, University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Learn Mem 18:774-8. 2011..In addition, this abnormal level of LTD can be pharmacologically rescued by the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine.
- Memantine improves cognition and reduces Alzheimer's-like neuropathology in transgenic miceHilda Martinez-Coria
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, University of California, Irvine, 3400A Biological Sciences III, Irvine, CA 92697 4545, USA
Am J Pathol 176:870-80. 2010b>Memantine is an N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor antagonist that is approved for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Dose-related effects of memantine on a mismatch negativity-like response in anesthetized ratsD Tikhonravov
Neuroscience Unit, Institute of Biomedicine Physiology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Neuroscience 167:1175-82. 2010b>Memantine is a low-affinity NMDA receptor antagonist that is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease to alleviate the cognitive symptoms of the disease...
- Memantine for dementia in adults older than 40 years with Down's syndrome (MEADOWS): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMarisa Hanney
Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, King s College London, London, UK
Lancet 379:528-36. 2012..Evidence to support treatment with Alzheimer's drugs is inadequate, although memantine is beneficial in transgenic mice...
- NMDA receptor blockade with memantine attenuates white matter injury in a rat model of periventricular leukomalaciaSimon M Manning
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neurosci 28:6670-8. 2008..The expression pattern mirrors that seen in the immature rat. Furthermore, the uncompetitive NMDAR antagonist memantine attenuates NMDA-evoked currents in developing OLs in situ in cerebral white matter of immature rats...
- Protection against Aβ-mediated rapid disruption of synaptic plasticity and memory by memantineIgor Klyubin
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Neurobiol Aging 32:614-23. 2011..Here, the ability of the NMDA receptor (NMDAR) antagonist memantine to prevent synthetic Aβ-mediated rapid functional deficits in learned behavior and synaptic plasticity was ..
- Long-term effects of the concomitant use of memantine with cholinesterase inhibition in Alzheimer diseaseO L Lopez
Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:600-7. 2009..There are no long-term studies of the effects of memantine in combination with ChEIs use in Alzheimer disease (AD)...
- Memantine leads to behavioral improvement and amyloid reduction in Alzheimer's-disease-model transgenic mice shown as by micromagnetic resonance imagingHenrieta Scholtzova
Department of Neurology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci Res 86:2784-91. 2008b>Memantine, an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, has been shown to improve learning and memory in several preclinical models of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Memantine blocks alpha7* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors more potently than n-methyl-D-aspartate receptors in rat hippocampal neuronsYasco Aracava
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 655 West Baltimore St, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 312:1195-205. 2005The N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist memantine is an approved drug for treatment of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Protective effects of memantine and epicatechin on catechol-induced toxicity on Müller cells in vitroSaffar Mansoor
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, United States
Toxicology 271:107-14. 2010..catechol (a component from cigarette smoke) on Müller cells (MIO-M1) in vitro, and investigates the inhibitors memantine and epicatechin to determine if they can reverse the catechol toxic effects...
- Memantine decreases hippocampal glutamate levels: a magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyLidia Glodzik
Center for Brain Health, Department of Psychiatry, New York University New York, NY 10016, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1005-12. 2008Glutamate (Glu) is associated with excitotoxic cell damage. Memantine modulates the glutamate induced excitotoxicity in Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Memantine therapy for Alzheimer disease in real-world practice: an observational study in a large representative sample of French patientsJean Sébastien Vidal
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U708, Paris, France
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 22:125-30. 2008Clinical trials have shown modest effects of memantine, an N-methyl-D aspartate receptor antagonist, in Alzheimer disease patients and memantine effectiveness in routine clinical practice needs to be established further...
- Combined use of pregabalin and memantine in fibromyalgia syndrome treatment: a novel analgesic and neuroprotective strategy?Jill M Recla
IGERT Program in Functional Genomics, The University of Maine, Orono ME 04469, USA
Med Hypotheses 73:177-83. 2009..This article proposes a combined treatment of pregabalin and memantine to decrease the pain and rate of gray matter atrophy associated with FMS...
- Carbofuran-induced oxidative stress in slow and fast skeletal muscles: prevention by memantine and atropineDejan Milatovic
University Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Toxicology 208:13-24. 2005..In addition, we aimed to determine if memantine HCl (MEM), in combination with atropine sulfate (ATS), prevents carbofuran-induced changes in markers of ..
- Low doses of memantine disrupt memory in adult ratsCatherine Creeley
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 26:3923-32. 2006b>Memantine, a drug recently approved for treatment of Alzheimer's disease, has been characterized as a unique NMDA antagonist that confers protection against excitotoxic neurodegeneration without the serious side effects that other NMDA ..
- Memantine in patients with Parkinson's disease dementia or dementia with Lewy bodies: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trialDag Aarsland
The Norwegian Centre for Movement Disorders, Stavanger University Hospital, 4068 Stavanger, Norway
Lancet Neurol 8:613-8. 2009..We aimed to test the safety and efficacy of the N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist memantine in patients with PDD or DLB.
- Memantine blocks mitochondrial OPA1 and cytochrome c release and subsequent apoptotic cell death in glaucomatous retinaWon Kyu Ju
Hamilton Glaucoma Center, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:707-16. 2009..expression and triggers OPA1 release, as well as whether the uncompetitive N-methyl-d-aspartate (NMDA) glutamate receptor antagonist memantine blocks OPA1 release and subsequent apoptotic cell death in glaucomatous DBA/2J mouse retina.
- Memantine attenuates staurosporine-induced activation of caspase-3 and LDH release in mouse primary neuronal culturesDanuta Jantas-Skotniczna
Department of Experimental Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Smetna 12, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Brain Res 1069:145-53. 2006..In order to further elucidate this problem, we investigated effect of memantine, an uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist and staurosporine alone and in combination on caspase-3 activity and ..
- A meta-analysis of the efficacy of donepezil, rivastigmine, galantamine, and memantine in relation to severity of Alzheimer's diseaseSimona Gabriella Di Santo
Fondazione IRCCS Santa Lucia, Roma, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 35:349-61. 2013Randomized clinical trials have evaluated the efficacy of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (AChE-Is) and memantine across a wide range of Alzheimer's disease (AD) severity...
- No interaction of memantine with acetylcholinesterase inhibitors approved for clinical useG L Wenk
Division of Neural Systems, Memory and Aging, University of Arizona, Tucson 85724, USA
Life Sci 66:1079-83. 2000..g. galanthamine, tetrahydroaminoacridine or donepezil, or by attenuation of NMDA receptor function, e.g. memantine. A combination of these two therapeutic approaches may be more beneficial at slowing the progression of the AD...
- The role of memantine in the treatment of psychiatric disorders other than the dementias: a review of current preclinical and clinical evidenceGabriele Sani
NESMOS Department Neurosciences, Mental Health, and Sensory Organs, School of Medicine and Psychology, Sapienza University, UOC Psychiatry, SantAndrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
CNS Drugs 26:663-90. 2012b>Memantine, a non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonist approved for Alzheimer's disease with a good safety profile, is increasingly being studied in a variety of non-dementia psychiatric disorders...
- Efficacy and safety of donepezil 23 mg versus donepezil 10 mg for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease: a subgroup analysis in patients already taking or not taking concomitant memantineRachelle S Doody
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 07730, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 33:164-73. 2012..mg/day versus donepezil 10 mg/day for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease allowed patients taking concomitant memantine. We evaluated the efficacy/safety of donepezil 23 and 10 mg/day in this trial, with respect to concomitant ..
- Effectiveness of the combination of memantine plus vitamin D on cognition in patients with Alzheimer disease: a pre-post pilot studyCedric Annweiler
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Geriatric Medicine, Angers University Hospital, Angers, France
Cogn Behav Neurol 25:121-7. 2012To determine whether treatment with memantine plus vitamin D is more effective than memantine or vitamin D alone in improving cognition among patients with Alzheimer disease (AD).
- Memantine for non-motor features of Parkinson's disease: a double-blind placebo controlled exploratory pilot trialWilliam G Ondo
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:156-9. 2011To perform an exploratory study evaluating memantine for several common non-motor problems in Parkinson's disease.
- The effect of memantine on sleep behaviour in dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson's disease dementiaVictoria Larsson
Clinical Memory Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo, Lund University, Sweden
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 25:1030-8. 2010..This study is an analysis of a secondary outcome measure of a larger study already reported, aimed to determine whether memantine has an effect on the sleep disturbances in DLB and PDD patients.
- Modulation of blood-brain barrier dysfunction and neurological deficits during acute experimental allergic encephalomyelitis by the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist memantineCarolyn Paul
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, University of Bath, Bath, UK
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 302:50-7. 2002..The current investigation has used the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine to modify the neurological course of EAE and, in particular, prevent BBB breakdown...
- MR spectroscopy for assessment of memantine treatment in mild to moderate Alzheimer dementiaJ W Ashford
War Related Illness and Injury Study Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 26:331-6. 2011..b>Memantine is thought to benefit the AD brain by stabilizing the NMDA receptors on neurons in turn reducing excitotoxicity...
- N-methyl D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonists and memantine treatment for Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia and Parkinson's diseaseDavid Olivares
Service of Clinical Pharmacology, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, C Professor Martín Lagos s n, 28040, Madrid, Spain
Curr Alzheimer Res 9:746-58. 2012b>Memantine, a partial antagonist of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor (NMDAR), approved for moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease (AD) treatment within the U.S...
- Memantine block depends on agonist presentation at the NMDA receptor in substantia nigra pars compacta dopamine neuronesA R Wild
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3DY, UK
Neuropharmacology 73:138-46. 2013..The open channel NMDAR blocker, memantine is used to treat certain neurodegenerative diseases, including Parkinson's disease (PD) and is well tolerated ..
- Comparison of behavioral effects of the NMDA receptor channel blockers memantine and ketamine in ratsShawn E Kotermanski
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 109:67-76. 2013b>Memantine and ketamine block N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors with similar affinity and kinetics, yet their behavioral consequences differ: e.g...
- Memantine in moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's diseaseBarry Reisberg
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1333-41. 2003Overstimulation of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor by glutamate is implicated in neurodegenerative disorders. Accordingly, we investigated memantine, an NMDA antagonist, for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonists attenuate NMDA-induced impairment of passive avoidance learning and LTPW Zajaczkowski
Department of Pharmacology, Merz and Co, Frankfurt M, Germany
Neuropharmacology 36:961-71. 1997..maleate (MK-801) and 1-amino-3,5-dimethyladamantane (memantine), starting at low doses of 0.05 and 2.5 mg/kg, respectively, in a bell-shaped dose-response relationship...
- Memantine for patients with Parkinson's disease dementia or dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMurat Emre
Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Lancet Neurol 9:969-77. 2010..with Lewy-body-related dementias might benefit from treatment with the N-methyl D-aspartate receptor antagonist memantine, but further data are needed...
- False recognition in a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease: rescue with sensory restriction and memantineCarola Romberg
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
Brain 135:2103-14. 2012..recognition did not occur when mice were treated with the partial N-methyl-d-aspartic acid receptor antagonist memantine. In a subsequent experiment, we found abnormally enhanced N-methyl-d-aspartic acid receptor-dependent long-term ..
- The benefits and risks associated with cholinesterase inhibitor therapy in Alzheimer's diseaseSarah Thompson
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Department of Psychiatry, Rm FG 05, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON, M4N 3M5, Canada
Expert Opin Drug Saf 3:425-40. 2004..Further study is needed to examine other indications for ChEIs, as well as their combination with newer treatments, such as memantine.
- Antitussive effects of memantine in guinea pigsJaclyn A Smith
Department of Medicine, Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Johns Hopkins Asthma and Allergy Center, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Chest 141:996-1002. 2012..Based on evidence supporting a role for N-methyl D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs) in cough, we hypothesized that memantine, a low-affinity, uncompetitive NMDAR channel blocker in routine use for the treatment of Alzheimer disease, ..
- Subchronic memantine administration on spatial learning, exploratory activity, and nest-building in an APP/PS1 mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseMohammed Filali
Laboratory of Endocrinology and Genomics, CHUQ Research Center and Department of Molecular Medicine, Laval University, 2705 Boulevard Laurier, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Neuropharmacology 60:930-6. 2011..in Alzheimer pathogenesis, with clinical data supporting successful treatment with the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine. In the present study, the effects of subchronic memantine administration were assessed on spatial and non-..
- A randomized, placebo-controlled study of memantine as adjunctive treatment in patients with schizophreniaJeffrey A Lieberman
Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:1322-9. 2009b>Memantine, an uncompetitive antagonist of glutamate receptors of the N-methyl-D-aspartate type is approved for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease...
- Randomized controlled trial of memantine in dementia associated with Parkinson's diseaseIracema Leroi
Lancashire Care Trust, Royal Blackburn Hospital, Blackburn, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 24:1217-21. 2009The objective of this study is to investigate the safety and tolerability of memantine, a glutamatergic modulator, in patients suffering from dementia associated with Parkinson's disease (PDD), an increasingly common complication of PD...
- Lithium, phenserine, memantine and pioglitazone reverse memory deficit and restore phospho-GSK3β decreased in hippocampus in intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced memory deficit modelTeresa Ponce-Lopez
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, CINVESTAV, Mexico City, Mexico
Brain Res 1426:73-85. 2011..administration of a glycogen synthase kinase (GSK3) inhibitor, lithium; antidementia drugs: phenserine and memantine, and insulin sensitizer, pioglitazone on memory function of ICV STZ-rats was assessed...
- DOMINO-AD protocol: donepezil and memantine in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease - a multicentre RCTRob Jones
Section of Old Age Psychiatry, The University of Nottingham, A Floor, South Block, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Trials 10:57. 2009..drug class with the best evidence of efficacy, licensed for mild to moderate AD, while the glutamate antagonist memantine has been widely prescribed, often in the later stages of AD...
- Effect of memantine on resting state default mode network activity in Alzheimer's diseaseMarco Lorenzi
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Neuroimaging and Telemedicine, Istituto di Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico San Giovanni di Dio Fatebenefratelli, Brescia, Italy
Drugs Aging 28:205-17. 2011b>Memantine is an approved symptomatic treatment for moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease that reduces the excitotoxic effects of hyperactive glutamatergic transmission...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial of memantine for cognitive changes with corticosteroid therapyE Sherwood Brown
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 884, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:727-9. 2008..Use of NMDA receptor antagonists to attenuate corticosteroid effects in humans has not been investigated. We examine the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine in patients receiving corticosteroids.
- Human neurons express the polyspecific cation transporter hOCT2, which translocates monoamine neurotransmitters, amantadine, and memantineA E Busch
Institut fur Physiologie, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Mol Pharmacol 54:342-52. 1998..hOCT2, electrogenic transport of norepinephrine, histamine, dopamine, serotonin, and the antiparkinsonian drugs memantine and amantadine was demonstrated by tracer influx, tracer efflux, electrical measurements, or a combination...
- Altered glutamate neurotransmission and behaviour in dementia: evidence from studies of memantineP T Francis
King s College London, Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, London, UK
Curr Mol Pharmacol 2:77-82. 2009..For example, the NMDA receptor antagonist, memantine has been shown to improve cognition, function (activities of daily living, ADLs) and, more recently, agitation/..
- Pigment epithelium-derived factor up-regulation induced by memantine, an N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist, is involved in increased proliferation of hippocampal progenitor cellsT Namba
Department of Neurochemistry, National Institute of Neuroscience, Tokyo 187 8502, Japan
Neuroscience 167:372-83. 2010b>Memantine is classified as an NMDA receptor antagonist. We recently reported that memantine promoted the proliferation of neural progenitor cells and the production of mature granule neurons in the adult hippocampus...
- Memantine in dementia: a review of the current evidenceNathan Herrmann
Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:787-800. 2011..Understanding the pathogenesis of AD and developing effective treatments is a public health imperative. Memantine is a low- to moderate-affinity, non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonist that is currently approved for the ..
- Quantification of the Mg2+-induced potency shift of amantadine and memantine voltage-dependent block in human recombinant GluN1/GluN2A NMDARsH J Otton
Centre for Integrative Physiology, University of Edinburgh, Hugh Robson Building, George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9XD, UK
Neuropharmacology 60:388-96. 2011Clinically, amantadine and memantine are drugs whose therapeutic utility is linked to their ability to block N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors (NMDARs) in a voltage-dependent manner...
- Management of agitation and aggression associated with Alzheimer's disease: controversies and possible solutionsClive Ballard
Wolfson Centre for Age Related Diseases, King s College London, London, UK
Curr Opin Psychiatry 22:532-40. 2009..The purpose of this review is to describe the current state of knowledge regarding management of BPSD, with a particular focus on agitation...
- Administration of memantine and imipramine alters mitochondrial respiratory chain and creatine kinase activities in rat brainGislaine Z Réus
Laboratório de Neurociências and Instituto Nacional de Ciência e Tecnologia Translacional em Medicina INCT TM, Programa de Pos Graduacao em Ciencias da Saude, Unidade Academica de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense, Criciuma, SC, 88806 000, Brazil
J Neural Transm 119:481-91. 2012..the creatine kinase and mitochondrial respiratory chain activities after acute and chronic treatments with memantine (N-methyl-D: -aspartate receptor antagonist) and imipramine (tricyclic antidepressant) in rats...
- Cognition-enhancing and anxiolytic effects of memantineRimante Minkeviciene
Department of Neurobiology, A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
Neuropharmacology 54:1079-85. 2008b>Memantine, a moderate-affinity NMDA receptor antagonist, is clinically used for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Glutamatergic approaches in major depressive disorder: focus on ketamine, memantine and riluzoleR T Owen
Drugs Today (Barc) 48:469-78. 2012..Trials with memantine and riluzole, agents with actions broadly similar to and different from ketamine on the glutamatergic system, ..
- A 25-week, open-label trial investigating rivastigmine transdermal patches with concomitant memantine in mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease: a post hoc analysisMartin R Farlow
Department of Neurology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 26:263-9. 2010To investigate the tolerability and efficacy of the rivastigmine transdermal patch in patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease receiving concomitant memantine.
- Memantine in systemic lupus erythematosus: a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trialMichelle Petri
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 41:194-202. 2011..b>Memantine, a seronergic receptor and nicotine acetylcholine receptor antagonist, acts on the glutamatergic system through ..
- Memantine potentiates hippocampal θ oscillations at a therapeutic dose in anesthetized mice: a mechanistic link to its cognitive-enhancing propertiesSimone Guadagna
Neuroscience Drug Discovery, H Lundbeck A S, Ottiliavej 9, 2500 Valby, Denmark
Neuropharmacology 62:2208-18. 2012b>Memantine is an uncompetitive, low-affinity NMDA receptor antagonist clinically used for the treatment of cognitive deficits in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease...
- The NMDA antagonist memantine impairs classical eyeblink conditioning in humansM M Schugens
Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Neurosci Lett 224:57-60. 1997..the effects of a single oral dose (30 mg) of the non-competitive N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist memantine on memory and learning in human subjects...
- Memantine upregulates BDNF and prevents dopamine deficits in SIV-infected macaques: a novel pharmacological action of memantineFalko Meisner
Institute of Virology and Immunobiology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2228-36. 2008..b>Memantine, an uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist, which has been recently approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's ..
- Memantine acts as a cholinergic stimulant in the mouse hippocampusBenjamin D Drever
School of Medical Sciences, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Medical Sciences, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD Scotland, UK
J Alzheimers Dis 12:319-33. 2007The non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonist memantine, currently prescribed for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, is assumed to prevent the excitotoxicity implicated in neurodegenerative processes...
- Mg2+ imparts NMDA receptor subtype selectivity to the Alzheimer's drug memantineShawn E Kotermanski
Department of Neuroscience and Center for Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
J Neurosci 29:2774-9. 2009..1999). Memantine, a drug that blocks the ion channel formed by NMDARs, is a widely prescribed treatment of Alzheimer's disease (..
- Effects of memantine on cognition in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: post-hoc analyses of ADAS-cog and SIB total and single-item scores from six randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studiesPatrizia Mecocci
Institute of Gerontology and Geriatrics, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 24:532-8. 2009The post-hoc analyses reported here evaluate the specific effects of memantine treatment on ADAS-cog single-items or SIB subscales for patients with moderate to severe AD.
- Memantine lowers amyloid-beta peptide levels in neuronal cultures and in APP/PS1 transgenic miceGeorge M Alley
Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Neurosci Res 88:143-54. 2010b>Memantine is a moderate-affinity, uncompetitive N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist that stabilizes cognitive, functional, and behavioral decline in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Novel neuroprotective mechanisms of memantine: increase in neurotrophic factor release from astroglia and anti-inflammation by preventing microglial activationHung Ming Wu
College of Medicine, Institute of Behavioral Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:2344-57. 2009b>Memantine shows clinically relevant efficacy in patients with Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease...
- Possible role for memantine in protecting retinal ganglion cells from glaucomatous damageStuart A Lipton
Center for Neuroscience and Aging, The Burnham Institute, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 48:S38-46. 2003..Studies in our laboratory have shown that the adamantane derivative, memantine, blocks only excessive NMDA-receptor activity without disrupting normal activity...
- Memantine for AIDS dementia complex: open-label report of ACTG 301Yu Zhao
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
HIV Clin Trials 11:59-67. 2010To evaluate the long-term safety and efficacy of memantine use as treatment of HIV-associated cognitive impairment.
- Efficacy and safety of memantine treatment for reduction of changes associated with experimental glaucoma in monkey, II: Structural measuresWilliam A Hare
Department of Biological Sciences, Allergan Inc, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:2640-51. 2004To determine, using anatomic measurements, whether daily oral dosing with memantine is both safe and effective to reduce the injury associated with experimental glaucoma in primates.
- Efficacy and adverse effects of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine in vascular dementia: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsHarish Kavirajan
Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Health Services Research, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Health Care System, CA, USA
Lancet Neurol 6:782-92. 2007Cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine do not have regulatory approval in most of the world for treatment of vascular dementia...
- Memantine treatment in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer disease already receiving donepezil: a randomized controlled trialPierre N Tariot
Department of Psychiatry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Monroe Community Hospital, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
JAMA 291:317-24. 2004b>Memantine is a low- to moderate-affinity, uncompetitive N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist...
- Continuous brachial plexus blockade in combination with the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine prevents phantom pain in acute traumatic upper limb amputeesM Schley
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Experimental Pain Research Pain Centre, University of Heidelberg, Faculty of Clinical Medicine, Theodor Kutzer Ufer 1 3, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Eur J Pain 11:299-308. 2007..Hyperexcitability of N-methyl-d-aspartate acid (NMDA) receptors may play an important role in the development of phantom limb pain (PLP)...
- Memantine and HIV-associated cognitive impairment: a neuropsychological and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy studyGiovanni Schifitto
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14620, USA
AIDS 21:1877-86. 2007To assess the safety and efficacy of memantine, an uncompetitive antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor as treatment of HIV-associated cognitive impairment.
- Long-term course and effectiveness of combination therapy in Alzheimer diseaseAlireza Atri
Department of Neurology and Massachusetts Alzheimer s Disease Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 22:209-21. 2008..and long-term clinical trajectory in patients with Alzheimer disease (AD) treated with combination (COMBO) therapy consisting of cholinesterase-inhibitor (CI) plus memantine (MEM) versus CI alone versus no treatment with either.
- Memantine treatment decreases levels of secreted Alzheimer's amyloid precursor protein (APP) and amyloid beta (A beta) peptide in the human neuroblastoma cellsBalmiki Ray
Department of Psychiatry, Institute of Psychiatric Research, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Neurosci Lett 470:1-5. 2010b>Memantine, an uncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist, is a FDA-approved drug used for the treatment of moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Differential efficacy of memantine for obsessive-compulsive disorder vs. generalized anxiety disorder: an open-label trialJamie D Feusner
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 42:81-93. 2009..b>Memantine blocks the excitatory action of glutamate at the N-methyl- D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor under pathological ..
- Profound pain reduction after induction of memantine treatment in two patients with severe phantom limb painRobert J Hackworth
Naval Medical Center San Diego, Department of Anesthesiology, 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, San Diego, CA 92134, USA
Anesth Analg 107:1377-9. 2008..Upon induction of the oral N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist memantine, both patients had a profound reduction in their PLP without any apparent side effects from the medication.
- Isoflurane-induced caspase-3 activation is dependent on cytosolic calcium and can be attenuated by memantineGuohua Zhang
Genetics and Aging Research Unit, MassGeneral Institute for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129 2060, USA
J Neurosci 28:4551-60. 2008..Finally, we examined the effects of the NMDA receptor partial antagonist, memantine, in H4-APP cells and brain tissue of naive mice...
- Preclinical Development of a Novel and Effective Treatment for CoughBlake M Paterson; Fiscal Year: 2011..receptors and of the role of NMDA receptors in central cough gating mechanisms have led to the observation that memantine (MMT), a registered drug for the treatment of dementia, is a profound antitussive in animal models...
- The Functional Significance of Conformational States in Glutamatergic SignalingCATHERINE LOURDES SALUSSOLIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..therapies available for clinical use, but those agents that are clinically useful (amantidine and memantine) share a common theme: they modulate NMDA receptor gating (opening/closing of the ion channel) in an activity-..
- Pilot Combination Treatment Trial of Mild Cognitive Impairment with DepressionDavangere P Devanand; Fiscal Year: 2013..In a second pilot study, open label es-citalopram plus memantine treatment led to a low rate of conversion to dementia...
- Attenuation of Corticosteroid-Induced Hippocampal ChangesE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2013..We conducted a placebo-controlled proof-of-concept study of the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine in corticosteroid-treated patients and found statistically significant improvement in declarative memory...
- Role NR1/2C and NR1/2D NMDA Receptors in Cortex Function and Memantine ActionJon W Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2012..NR1/2C and/or NR1/2D NMDARs play an especially important role in the clinical utility of the widely-used AD drug memantine, which is an antagonist of NMDARs...
- An iPS Disease-in-a-Dish Model of Familial AlzheimersTerrence Town; Fiscal Year: 2012..Sub-Aim 2b will test proof-of-concept for whether the current standard of care AD drug, memantine, will at least partially rescue Alzheimer phenotype(s) in differentiated fAD mutant forebrain neurons...
- Development of a Novel Therapeutic for Alzheimer'DiseaseMARK ANTHONY LOVELL; Fiscal Year: 2012..AD) patients including cholinesterase inhibitors (Aricept) and an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonist (Memantine). Although these therapeutics show clinical benefit in some patients, many do not respond...
- INVESTIGATION AND TREATMENT OF OCULAR MOTOR DISORDERSRICHARD JOHN LEIGH; Fiscal Year: 2012..A current model for these oscillations will be tested using detailed findings from a treatment trial of memantine versus gabapentin completed during the prior funding period...
- Novel NMDA Antagonists to Treat StrokeBhaumik B Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..directly compare the pharmacological profiles of three novel NMDA antagonists, the uncompetitive NMDA antagonist memantine, which was recently approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease because of beneficial effects and a ..
- 2/2-Novel Medication Strategies Targeting Brain Mechanisms in Pediatric OCDDikoma C Shungu; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., riluzole, memantine) reduce OCD severity when added to SRIs...
- 1/2-Novel Medication Strategies Targeting Brain Mechanisms in Pediatric OCDHelen Blair Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., riluzole, memantine) reduce OCD severity when added to SRIs...
- Brain aging and treatment response in geriatric depressionHelen Lavretsky; Fiscal Year: 2013..There is a compelling rationale for the study of neuroprotective glutamatergic agents, such as memantine (MEM) that can target brain aging and provide cognitive enhancement...
- Brief Potent Glutamatergic Modulation: Applications for Cocaine DependenceElias Dakwar; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the only specific antagonist studied, memantine, failed to show an effect in humans...
- Roles and mechanisms of neurotensin in learning and memorySaobo Lei; Fiscal Year: 2013..for the treatment of AD including the cholinesterase inhibitors and the partial NMDA receptor antagonist memantine only benefit a subset of patients for a limited period...
- Cellular/Molecular Pathophysiology of Intellectual and Developmental DisabilitiesStuart A Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2013..This P01 Grant is credited with developing the first clinically-tolerated NMDAR antagonist, Memantine, which we showed is an uncompetitive, open-channel blocker with a relatively fast off-rate, accounting for its ..
- NMDA Glutamate Receptor Transmission in Extinction of Cocaine-Seeking BehaviorSTANISLAV R contact VOREL; Fiscal Year: 2010..approved for other human clinical conditions, the NMDA receptor agonist d-cycloserine and the NMDA antagonist memantine. We will assess if and how NMDA receptors are involved in extinction and if the medications have ..
- Memantine effects on sensorimotor gating and neurocognition in schizophreniaNeal R Swerdlow; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application will test the effects of a "challenge dose" of the low-affinity NMDA antagonist, memantine (MEM), on sensorimotor gating and neuro- cognition in SZ patients;specific hypotheses will be tested in relation ..
- Phase 2B Trial of Memantine for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisTODD DYLAN LEVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results from an open label pilot trial of 20 patients treated with memantine at 10 mg twice a day (BID) suggested that treatment with the combination of memantine and riluzole slowed ALS ..
- Biomarker Strategies for Medication-Enhanced Cognitive Training in SchizophreniaNeal R Swerdlow; Fiscal Year: 2013..goals of this application are: 1) to test the effects of the acute administration of the NMDA antagonist, memantine (MEM), on sensorimotor gating and working memory (WM) in schizophrenia (SZ) patients, and 2) to assess the ..
- CORTICOLIMBIC DEGENERATION AND TREATMENT OF DEMENTIAJohn Csernansky; Fiscal Year: 2009..S. Memantine, a voltage dependent, uncompetitive NMDA antagonist, ameliorates the cognitive deficits associated with ..
- NOVEL PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR COCAINE DEPENDENCEFrances Levin; Fiscal Year: 2003..To perturb the glutamate system, we will use memantine, a non-competitive NMDA antagonist GV-196771A, a glycine site antagonist; acamprosate, a partial agonist at the ..
- Retinal ganglion cell loss in aging mice.Thomas Mittag; Fiscal Year: 2007..a beta-adrenergic antagonist, inhibitors of the NOS-2 enzyme, and the anti-Parkinson's agents deprenyl and memantine. The drug experiments are aimed at establishing proof-of-principle that agents having neuroprotective properties ..
- NOVEL NMDA RECEPTOR ANTAGONISTS FOR HIV NEUROINJURYYuqiang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2000..Stuart Lipton, Harvard Medical School, found that the clinically-tolerated NMDA antagonist memantine and nitric oxide (NO)-related species such as nitroglycerin (NTG) can protect neurons in mixed neuronal/glial ..
- ADVANCED MR SPECTROSCOPY OF SIV BRAIN INJURYRamon Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, some animals will be given the NMDA antagonist memantine. In other experiments, the animals will be treated after infection...
- BEHAVIORAL EFFECTS OF NEONATAL ALCOHOL EXPOSUREEdward P Riley; Fiscal Year: 2010..We now plan on examining, memantine, a novel NMDA antagonist that seems to have few of the side effects of other NMDA antagonists, thus it may be ..
- Potential anti-relapse drugs: a plant genomics approachJohn Littleton; Fiscal Year: 2004The actions of acamprosate, memantine and mecamylamine in alcohol dependence suggest that glutamate receptors (specifically NMDARs and mGluRSs) and acetylcholine receptors (specifically nicAChRs) are potential molecular targets for ..
- DRUG ABUSE PHARMACOTHERAPY: METHODOLOGIC INITIATIVESEdward Nunes; Fiscal Year: 2005..Cocaine medication development trials examining the efficacy of the NMDA antagonist memantine and the GABA enhancer gabapentin, and also examining the impact of abstinence during an initial placebo lead-in ..
- Novel Glutamatergic Detoxification StrategiesJohn Krystal; Fiscal Year: 2006This is a resubmission of an R21 proposal. This pilot study will compare the effectiveness of the lamotrigine and memantine to standard treatment of acute alcohol withdrawal and abstinence initiation in alcohol dependent patients, and ..
- EVALUATION OF NMDA ANTAGONIST FOR OPIATE DEPENDENCEAdam Bisaga; Fiscal Year: 2003..the research skills of Adam Bisaga, MD, by focusing on a systematic laboratory and clinical evaluation of memantine, an NMDA antagonist, for the treatment of opioid dependence. Dr...
- Novel NMDA Receptor-Binding Drugs for Ischemia/StrokeYuqiang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2002..Thus, we will combine a nitrone, known to have potent free radical scavenging activity with memantine, an open channel, uncompetitive NMDA receptor inhibitor, with demonstrated neuroprotective benefit in human ..
- INDUCTION OF APOPTOSIS BY HIV-1 INFECTED MONOCYTIC CELLSLloyd Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..receptor (MW 100 kDa) for SHIVA and have also demonstrated that SHIVA-induced apoptosis can be blocked by memantine in SH-SY5Y neuronal cells...
- Erythropoietin PLUS IGF-IN NEUROPROTECTION FROM AIDSStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Hypothesis Tested: EPO+IGF-I act synergistically to activate the anti-apoptotic PI3 kinase/Akt signaling pathway, and thus provide a synergistic degree of neuroprotection. ..
- AIDS-Related Neurotoxicity and Novel NMDAR AntagonistsStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Also, this grant helped develop the first clinically-tolerated NMDAR antagonist, Memantine, which led to phase 2 clinical trials for HIV-associated dementia...
- ERYTHROPOIETIN-INDUCED NEUROPROTECTIONStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Caspase Cleavage of MEF2 Mediates Neuronal ApoptosisStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Chemokines and Macrophages in HIV Neuronal ApoptosisStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2003..Neuronal apoptosis due to gp120 or chemokines will be monitored using several approaches. ..
- S-Nitrosylation of Matrix Metalloproteinases in AIDSStuart Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the future, the work proposed here may lead to new therapeutic targets based on the novel extracellular signaling pathway involving NO-related molecules and the MMPs that will be studied. ..
- RETINAL GANGLION CELLS: ION CHANNELS & TRANSMITTERSStuart A Lipton; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our group was the first to show that the uncompetitive, open-channel blocker, Memantine, can curtail excessive activity of the NMDAR while leaving normal neurotransmission essentially unabated...
- Depression in Alzheimer's Disease Study 2 (DIADS-2)Lon Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Guanfacine Treatment for Prefrontal Cognitive Dysfunction in Elderly SubjectsChristopher H van Dyck; Fiscal Year: 2010..This Pilot Clinical Trial will provide essential preliminary data for a subsequent full-scale trial of guanfacine for prefrontally-mediated cognitive dysfunction in elderly subjects. ..
- Dronabinol naltrexone treatment for opioid dependenceAdam Bisaga; Fiscal Year: 2010..Development of an improved antagonist based approach would open it up as a viable treatment alternative for a larger population of opioid dependent individuals. ..
- Treating Asthma Patients with Major Depressive DisorderE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Developing Medication For Tobacco Addiction: NMDA AgentsAdam Bisaga; Fiscal Year: 2007..models to screen promising medications and establish whether modulation of the NMDA receptor system with memantine, a non-competitive NMDA antagonist, has beneficial effects in the treatment of tobacco addiction...
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Pathological GamblingJon Grant; Fiscal Year: 2008..This award would provide me with the necessary background for further studies in the treatment of pathological gambling and the training for an independent patient-oriented research career. ..
- AGING AND DEMENTIA--LONGITUDINAL COURSE OF SUBGROUPSBarry Reisberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..Collectively, these cohorts include over 1300 persons. The comprehensive evaluations include behavioral, mental status, neuropsychologic, neurologic, neuroimaging, electrophysiologic, and postmortem studies. ..
- HIPPOCAMPAL FUNCTION DURING CORTICOSTEROID THERAPYE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004..Through this award, the Pl will extend his previous research experience by adding new skills and knowledge which will be used for investigations at the interface of neuroscience and clinical research. ..
- Treatment Outcomes of Vascular DepressionPUDUGRAMAM DORAISWAMY; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed trial will provide information of value to the practitioner and also provide data to build a more comprehensive model of the prognostic impact of frontal-subcortical brain changes on the outcome of late-life depression. ..
- Memantine Naltrexone Treatment for Opioid DependenceAdam Bisaga; Fiscal Year: 2009..The goal of this five-year study is to test the efficacy of memantine (a noncompetitive NMDA receptor antagonist) as an adjunct to the maintenance treatment with naltrexone in ..
- Naltrexone for Bipolar Disorder and Alcohol DependenceE Sherwood Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..Alcohol use is the primary outcome, and alcohol craving is the secondary outcome. Manic and depressive symptom severity and the relationship between changes in alcohol use and changes in mood will be expIored. ..
- Development of Inventory of Depressive SymptomatologyPUDUGRAMAM DORAISWAMY; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., anxiety, irritability) (IDS-C and SR) that are in the public domain for use with patients across the age spans seen in practice and in research. ..
- Selegiline, Oxidative Stress and MRS in HIV DementiaGiovanni Schifitto; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed study will take advantage of the ACTG supporting A5090 study and of the existing MRS consortium infrastructure that will allow us to perform multicenter MRS studies. ..
- Depressoin in Alzheimer's Disease Study-2 (DIADS-2)Jacobo Mintzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- AGE RELATED NEURODEGENERATIVE DISEASES IN MICRONESIADouglas Galasko; Fiscal Year: 2006..Subproject by Lee: 'PHF-tau in neurodegenerative diseases of Guam' will assess oxidative markers related to brain lesions in ALS, PDC and dementia. ..
- Pain Mechanisms and the Development of AnalgesicsTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2006..g. COX2 inhibitors, GABApentin, ziconotide) and failures (NK1 antagonist). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BRAIN MRI & MRS CHANGES IN FIRST EPISODE SCHIZOPHRENIAJeffrey Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide important information about the clinical and neuropathological course of subgroups of schizophrenia and therapeutic strategies for early identification and intervention. ..
- Mechanisms of Basal Forebrain NeurodegenerationLUIS COLOM; Fiscal Year: 2004..Data from this work may contribute to the development of specific therapies designed to decrease neuronal dysfunction and vulnerability in AD. Furthermore, this work will contribute to our understanding of basal forebrain physiology. ..
- TREATMENT OF EARLY ONSET SCHIZOPHRENIA SPECTRUM (TEOSS)Robert Findling; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will provide information about the comparative effectiveness of the most commonly used and representative antipsychotic drugs in youth with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. ..
- Sustained-Release Naltrexone for Opioid Dependence: Longitudinal Study in HumansSandra D Comer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Ethanol sensitivity--native /recombinant NMDA receptorsJohn Woodward; Fiscal Year: 2006..The successful completion of this training plan will substantially enhance the PI's research expertise and his ability to fulfill the goals of his research. ..