Genomes and Genes
Summary: A class of chemicals that contain an anthracene ring with a naphthalene ring attached to it.
Publications168 found, 100 shown here
- Detoxication of benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dione by sulfotransferases (SULTs) in human lung cellsLi Zhang
Centers of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology and Cancer Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 287:29909-20. 2012..Based on expression levels, catalytic efficiency, and the fact that the lung cells only produce M1, it is concluded that the major isoform that can intercept benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-catechol is SULT1A1...
- Metabolism and distribution of benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dione (B[a]P-7,8-dione) in human lung cells by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry: detection of an adenine B[a]P-7,8-dione adductMeng Huang
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology and Center for Cancer Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 25:993-1003. 2012....
- Aryl hydrocarbon receptor facilitates DNA strand breaks and 8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine formation by the aldo-keto reductase product benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-dioneJong Heum Park
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 284:29725-34. 2009..We conclude that the AhR shuttles PAH o-quinone genotoxins to the nucleus and enhances oxidative DNA damage...
- Specificity of human aldo-keto reductases, NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase, and carbonyl reductases to redox-cycle polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon diones and 4-hydroxyequilenin-o-quinoneCarol A Shultz
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 24:2153-66. 2011..ROS formation was unaffected by the addition of dicumarol, suggesting that NQO1 is not responsible for the two-electron reduction observed and does not offer protection against ROS formation from PAH o-quinones...
- Identification and characterization of novel stable deoxyguanosine and deoxyadenosine adducts of benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-quinone from reactions at physiological pHNarayanan Balu
Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, B143 06, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 17:827-38. 2004....
- Importance of UDP-glucuronosyltransferase 1A10 (UGT1A10) in the detoxification of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons: decreased glucuronidative activity of the UGT1A10139Lys isoformRyan W Dellinger
Cancer Prevention and Control Program, Division of Population Sciences and Cancer Prevention, Penn State Cancer Institute, Penn State University College of Medicine, PA 17033, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 34:943-9. 2006..Together, these studies implicate UGT1A10 as an important detoxifier of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in humans and that the UGT1A10 codon 139 polymorphism may be an important determinant in risk for tobacco-related cancers...
- Evidence for the aldo-keto reductase pathway of polycyclic aromatic trans-dihydrodiol activation in human lung A549 cellsJong Heum Park
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:6846-51. 2008..We conclude that activation of PAH-trans-dihydrodiols by AKRs in lung cells leads to ROS-mediated genotoxicity and contributes to lung carcinogenesis...
- The N-clasp of human DNA polymerase kappa promotes blockage or error-free bypass of adenine- or guanine-benzo[a]pyrenyl lesionsLei Jia
Department of Biology and Department of Chemistry, New York University, 100 Washington Square East, New York, NY 10003, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 36:6571-84. 2008..Absence of the N-clasp in Dpo4 explains the error-prone processing of the same lesion by this enzyme. Thus, our studies elucidate structure-function relationships in the fidelity of lesion bypass...
- DNA methylation analysis using CpG microarrays is impaired in benzopyrene exposed cellsBekim Sadikovic
Department of Biochemistry, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 225:300-9. 2007....
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) o-quinones produced by the aldo-keto-reductases (AKRs) generate abasic sites, oxidized pyrimidines, and 8-oxo-dGuo via reactive oxygen speciesJong Heum Park
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 19:719-28. 2006..However, in the presence of Fe(III)-mediated PAH o-quinone redox-cycling, the *OH radical scavengers and sodium azide consistently attenuated their formation, indicating that the ROS responsible was *OH...
- Nucleotide selectivity opposite a benzo[a]pyrene-derived N2-dG adduct in a Y-family DNA polymerase: a 5'-slippage mechanismPingna Xu
Department of Biology, New York University, 1009 Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East, New York City, New York 10003, USA
Biochemistry 47:2701-9. 2008..In addition, the dATP can be misincorporated opposite the adduct. The 5'-slippage pattern may be generally facilitated in cases where the base 3' to the lesion is the same as the adducted base...
- A structural gap in Dpo4 supports mutagenic bypass of a major benzo[a]pyrene dG adduct in DNA through template misalignmentJacob Bauer
Department of Biochemistry, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 5C1
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:14905-10. 2007....
- Following an environmental carcinogen N2-dG adduct through replication: elucidating blockage and bypass in a high-fidelity DNA polymerasePingna Xu
Department of Biology, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:4275-88. 2007..In vivo, a switch to a potentially error-prone bypass polymerase likely dominates translesion bypass...
- Visualizing sequence-governed nucleotide selectivities and mutagenic consequences through a replicative cycle: processing of a bulky carcinogen N2-dG lesion in a Y-family DNA polymerasePingna Xu
Department of Biology, New York University, 1009 Silver Center, 100 Washington Square East, New York, New York 10003, USA
Biochemistry 48:4677-90. 2009....
- Hydroxylated polychlorinated biphenyls as inhibitors of the sulfation and glucuronidation of 3-hydroxy-benzo[a]pyrenePeter van den Hurk
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:343-8. 2002..Inhibition of glucuronosyltransferase by low concentrations of OH-PCBs has not been reported before and may have important consequences for the bioavailability, bioaccumulation, and toxicity of other phenolic environmental contaminants...
- Simulating structural and thermodynamic properties of carcinogen-damaged DNAShixiang Yan
Department of Chemistry, New York University, New York, NY 10003, USA
Biophys J 84:2137-48. 2003..The structural and thermodynamic features of these stereoisomeric adducts are also discussed in relation to their reported low susceptibilities to nucleotide excision repair...
- Mutagenesis studies with four stereoisomeric N2-dG benzo[a]pyrene adducts in the identical 5'-CGC sequence used in NMR studies: G->T mutations dominate in each caseKwang Young Seo
Biology Department, Boston University, 24 Cummington Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Mutagenesis 20:441-8. 2005..coli reveals that B[a]P-N2-dG adduct stereochemistry tends to have a lesser impact on mutagenic pattern (e.g. G-->T versus G-->A mutations) than does DNA sequence context, which is discussed...
- Binding of 3-hydroxybenzo[a]pyrene to bovine hemoglobin and albuminNarumi Sugihara
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Sanzou, Gakuen cho, Fukuyama, Hiroshima, Japan
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17:239-47. 2003..These results indicate that an oxidative process is involved in formation of the heme adduct and that 3-OHBaP or BaP-3G might be a precursor of the bound metabolite...
- Intestinal bioavailability and biotransformation of 3-hydroxybenzo(a)pyrene in an isolated perfused preparation from channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatusM O James
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610 0485, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 29:721-8. 2001..These studies demonstrate the rapid phase 2 conjugation of a phenolic benzo(a)pyrene metabolite in intestinal mucosa, and the transfer of the phase 2 sulfate and glucuronide conjugates to blood...
- Quantitative detection of benzo[alpha]pyrene diolepoxide-DNA adducts by cryogenic laser induced fluorescenceWen Luo
Division of Bioengineering and Environmental Health, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 16:74-80. 2003..This assay is rapid, highly sensitive, and economical and has been applied to monitor DNA adduct levels as a function of time after exposure to BPDE in repair-competent human lymphoblastoid AHH-1 and TK6 cells...
- Extraction and purification of depurinated benzo[a]pyrene-adducted DNA bases from human urine by immunoaffinity chromatography coupled with HPLC and analysis by LC/quadrupole ion-trap MSSumitra Bhattacharya
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer, 986805, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 6805, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 16:479-86. 2003..This procedure may allow screening of persons at risk for lung cancer associated with exposure to PAH in cigarette and other forms of smoke...
- Facile interstrand migration of the hydrocarbon moiety of a dibenzo[a,l]pyrene 11,12-diol 13,14-epoxide adduct at N2 of deoxyguanosine in a duplex oligonucleotideBen Wang
Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Am Chem Soc 128:10079-84. 2006..This interstrand migration appears unique to DB[a,l]P adducts and has not been observed for their fjord-region benzo[c]phenanthrene or bay-region benzo[a]pyrene analogues...
- Urban dust particulate matter alters PAH-induced carcinogenesis by inhibition of CYP1A1 and CYP1B1Lauren A Courter
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 7302, USA
Toxicol Sci 95:63-73. 2007..These data further suggest that in addition to the levels of potent PAH, the effects of other mixture components must be considered when predicting human cancer risk...
- Competitive inhibition of carcinogen-activating CYP1A1 and CYP1B1 enzymes by a standardized complex mixture of PAH extracted from coal tarBrinda Mahadevan
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, USA
Int J Cancer 120:1161-8. 2007..The implications for the tumorigenicity of complex environmental PAH mixtures are discussed...
- Exocyclic amino groups of flanking guanines govern sequence-dependent adduct conformations and local structural distortions for minor groove-aligned benzo[a]pyrenyl-guanine lesions in a GG mutation hotspot contextFabián A Rodríguez
Department of Chemistry, New York University, New York, NY, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:1555-68. 2007..The minor groove width opens near the lesion in both cases, but more for 5'- ... CGG*C.... Differential sequence-dependent removal rates of this lesion result and may contribute to the mutation hotspot phenomenon...
- Cytochrome P450 1B1 determines susceptibility to dibenzo[a,l]pyrene-induced tumor formationJeroen T M Buters
Institut für Toxikologie und Umwelthygiene, Technische Universitat Munchen, Lazarettstrasse 62, 80636 München, Germany
Chem Res Toxicol 15:1127-35. 2002....
- An approach to investigating the importance of high potency polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the induction of lung cancer by air pollutionK B Okona-Mensah
Department of Health Toxicology Unit, Section of Experimental Medicine and Toxicology, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 43:1103-16. 2005....
- Benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-quinone-3'-mononucleotide adduct standards for 32P postlabeling analyses: detection of benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-quinone-calf thymus DNA adductsNarayanan Balu
Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Anal Biochem 355:213-23. 2006....
- Identification and quantification of stable DNA adducts formed from dibenzo[a,l]pyrene or its metabolites in vitro and in mouse skin and rat mammary glandRosa Todorovic
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986805 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 18:984-90. 2005..The carcinogenic potencies of these compounds in mouse skin, published earlier, do not qualitatively or quantitatively correlate with stable adducts, but rather with depurinating adducts...
- Dibenzo[a,l]pyrene induced DNA adduct formation in lung tissue in vivoBrinda Mahadevan
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, 1007 Agricultural and Life Sciences Building, Corvallis, OR 97331 7302, USA
Cancer Lett 227:25-32. 2005..The data from this in vivo model are consistent with previous metabolic activation results obtained with DBP in human cells in culture...
- Reduced nucleotide excision repair and GSTM1-null genotypes influence anti-B[a]PDE-DNA adduct levels in mononuclear white blood cells of highly PAH-exposed coke oven workersSofia Pavanello
Occupational Health Section, Department of Environmental Medicine and Public Health, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Carcinogenesis 26:169-75. 2005....
- Dibenzo[A,L]pyrene-induced genotoxic and carcinogenic responses are dramatically suppressed in aryl hydrocarbon receptor-deficient miceYoko Nakatsuru
Department of Pathology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Cancer 112:179-83. 2004....
- Detection of benzopyrene-deoxyguanosine adducts by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometryZhuanhong Qiao
Department of Chemistry, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20:487-92. 2006..This MALDI-TOFMS method offers the potential for the detection of DNA adducts in human tissue using very limited sample purification and preparation...
- Age-related changes in oxidative DNA damage and benzo(a)pyrene diolepoxide-I (BPDE-I)-DNA adduct levels in human stomachByung Mu Lee
Division of Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Changan Ku, Kyunggi Do, Suwon
J Toxicol Environ Health A 68:1599-610. 2005..It is possible that such damage contributes to the known increased incidence of gastric tumor with aging...
- Improved measurement of dibenzo[a,l]pyrene-induced abasic sites by the aldehyde-reactive probe assayDhrubajyoti Chakravarti
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986805 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Mutat Res 588:158-65. 2005..In summary, the inclusion of ARP in the DB[a,l]P-DNA adduct-forming reaction traps and protects the nascent abasic sites, allowing an improved quantification of abasic sites...
- Correlation between biomarkers of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon exposure and electrophilic tissue burden in a rat modelAdela Tzekova
Departement de sante environnementale et sante au travail, Universite de Montreal, PO Box 6128, QC H3C 3J7 Montréal, Canada
Arch Toxicol 78:351-61. 2004..Thus urinary 1-OHP and 3-OHBaP are more reliable biomarkers in biological monitoring strategies...
- Quantification of benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide DNA-adducts by stable isotope dilution liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometryQian Ruan
Center for Cancer Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 854 BRB II III, 421 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20:1369-80. 2006..Also, the adduct profile suggests that this occurs by binding of (+)-anti-B[a]PDE to DNA in a manner that facilitates covalent binding to dGuo rather than dAdo residues...
- Nucleotide incorporation by human DNA polymerase gamma opposite benzo[a]pyrene and benzo[c]phenanthrene diol epoxide adducts of deoxyguanosine and deoxyadenosineMaria A Graziewicz
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, PO Box 12233, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:397-405. 2004....
- [EBM and molecular biology from the perspective of lung cancer due to tobacco smoking]Yoichi Nakanishi
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 92:1089-95. 2003
- Effects of benzo(e)pyrene and benzo(a)pyrene on P-glycoprotein-mediated transport in Caco-2 cell monolayer: a comparative approachNarumi Sugihara
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Sanzou, Fukuyama, Hiroshima 729 0292, Japan
Toxicol In Vitro 21:827-34. 2007..Our results further show that Bep or Bap-induced P-gp in Caco-2 cells might have been the result of oxidative stress rather than DNA damage...
- A new alternative fuel for reduction of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and particulate matter emissions from diesel enginesChung shin Yuan
Institute of Environmental Engineering, National Sun Yat Sen University, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 57:465-71. 2007..Moreover, paraffinic fuel will likely be a new alternative fuel in the future. Using BP9505 instead of PDF decreased PM (22.8%), THC (13.4%), CO (25.3%), total PAHs (88.9%), and total BaPeq (88.1%) emissions significantly...
- On-line identification of diastereomeric dibenzo[a,l]pyrene diol epoxide-derived deoxyadenosine adducts by capillary electrophoresis-fluorescence line-narrowing and non-line narrowing spectroscopyK P Roberts
Ames Laboratory-US Department of Energy, Iowa Sate University 50011, USA
J Chromatogr A 853:159-70. 1999....
- Evaluation of the random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) assay for the detection of DNA damage and mutationsFranck A Atienzar
School of Biological Sciences, Plymouth Environmental Research Centre, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA, UK
Mutat Res 521:151-63. 2002..Finally, further research is required to better understand the potential and limitations of the RAPD assay for the detection of DNA damage and mutations...
- Unaltered expression of multidrug resistance transporters in polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-resistant rat liver cellsL Payen
INSERM U456, Detoxication et Reparation Tissulaire, , 2 Avenue du Pr L. Bernard, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Toxicology 156:109-17. 2001..These data therefore suggest that multidrug resistance transporters do not contribute to PAH resistance in PAH-selected liver cells...
- High-performance liquid chromatography interfaced with fluorescence line-narrowing spectroscopy for on-line analysisK P Roberts
Ames Laboratory--USDOE, Iowa 50011, USA
Anal Chem 73:951-6. 2001..With femtomole detection limits, HPLC-FLNS can be used for real-world analyses of complex mixtures...
- Effects of benzo[a]pyrene DNA adducts on Escherichia coli DNA polymerase I (Klenow fragment) primer-template interactions: evidence for inhibition of the catalytically active ternary complex formationY O Alekseyev
Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Biochemistry 40:2282-90. 2001..Interestingly, the stability of these DNA-polymerase complexes correlated with nucleotide insertion kinetics for the unmodified and (+)-trans-B[a]PDE-modified templates...
- Trans- and cis-DNA adduct concentration in epidermis from mouse and rat skin treated ex vivo with benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide and its corresponding chlorohydrinE H Vock
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of California San Francisco, 94143-0446, San Francisco, CA, USA
Mutat Res 478:199-206. 2001..Therefore, DNA adduct concentration can be kept the same by applying the appropriate dose of anti-BPDE and trans-BPDCH to rodent skin and the DNA adducts formed differ only in their trans- and cis-stereoisomerism...
- Mdm2 as a sensitive and mechanistically informative marker for genotoxicity induced by benzo[a]pyrene and dibenzo[a,l]pyreneMaria Malmlöf
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Toxicol Sci 102:232-40. 2008..It is suggested that patterns documented here can be used for separating BP doses that induce readily repaired DNA adducts from doses that overwhelm this capacity...
- The role of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-DNA adducts in inducing mutations in mouse skinDhrubajyoti Chakravarti
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Mutat Res 649:161-78. 2008..In conclusion, this study suggests that depurinating adducts play a major role in PAH mutagenesis...
- Effect of soluble and particulate nickel compounds on the formation and repair of stable benzo[a]pyrene DNA adducts in human lung cellsTanja Schwerdtle
Institut für Lebensmittelchemie und Toxikologie, Universitat Karlsruhe, D 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Carcinogenesis 23:47-53. 2002....
- Spectral differentiation and immunoaffinity capillary electrophoresis separation of enantiomeric benzo(a)pyrene diol epoxide-derived DNA adductsBeata Miksa
Department of Chemistry, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66502, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 20:1192-9. 2007..The methodologies described in this manuscript could also be used for analysis of DNA adducts following enzymatic hydrolysis of BPDE-adducted DNA to free nucleosides...
- Glutathione conjugation and DNA adduct formation of dibenzo[a,l]pyrene and benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxides in V79 cells stably expressing different human glutathione transferasesKathrin Sundberg
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Division of Biochemical Toxicology and Experimental Carcinogenesis, Karolinska Institutet, Box 210, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Chem Res Toxicol 15:170-9. 2002....
- Long-term effects of a standardized complex mixture of urban dust particulate on the metabolic activation of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in human cells in cultureTamara Musafia-Jeknic
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, 97331, USA
Toxicol Sci 88:358-66. 2005..It also suggests that the carcinogenic activity of PAH within a complex mixture may vary with composition and activation of the components present in the complex mixture...
- In vitro benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide-induced DNA adducts and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of head and neckDonghui Li
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 67:5628-34. 2007..In conclusion, we confirmed the previously reported association between in vitro BPDE-induced DNA adduct levels and SCCHN risk, and the assay may help identify individuals at high risk of developing smoking-related cancers...
- [Why does smoking cause lung cancer?]Yoichi Nakanishi
Research Institute for Diseases of the Chest, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Fukuoka Igaku Zasshi 93:6-10. 2002
- Imprinting: perinatal exposures cause the development of diseases during the adult ageA N Tchernitchin
Laboratory of Experimental Endocrinology and Environmental Pathology LEEPA, University of Chile, Medical School, Santiago
Acta Biol Hung 50:425-40. 1999..Among them, estrogens, androgens, progestins, lead, benzopyrenes, ozone, dioxins, DDT, DDE, methoxychlor, chlordecone, parathion, malathion, polychlorobiphenyls, pyrethroids, ..
- Effects of ethinyl estradiol on bile secretion and liver microsomal mixed function oxidase system in the mouseR Tritapepe
Institute of 1st Surgical Clinic, University of Milan School of Medicine, Milan, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 29:677-80. 1980..Moreover, they demonstrate a decrease of liver microsomal enzyme activities and cytochromes and suggest a relationship between the impairment of liver microsomal mixed function oxidase system and the changes of bile lipid composition...
- Effect of neonatal allylestrenol treatment and adult benzpyrene treatment on rat thymus glucocorticoid receptorsG Csaba
Department of Biology, Semmelweis University of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Gen Pharmacol 27:1387-9. 1996..4. The effect of neonatal steroid treatment on a later steroid influence is also demonstrated...
- Effect of combined neonatal imprinting by vitamin A, vitamin D3, benzpyrene and allylestrenol on adult rat thymus glucocorticoid and uterine estrogen receptorsG Csaba
Department of Biology, Semmelweis University of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Gen Pharmacol 29:779-81. 1997..4. The experiments call attention to the interrelation of different materials acting simultaneously in the perinatal period...
- Mutagenesis of certain activated carcinogens in vitro associated with genetically mediated increases in monooxygenase activity and cytochrome P 1-450J S Felton
J Biol Chem 250:6769-78. 1975..Both diethylmaleate and 1,1,1-trichloropropene-2,3-epoxide cause decreases in 2-acetylaminofluorene mutagenesis in vitro when liver fractions from phenobarbital-treated mice are used...
- Tetrahydrobenzo- and benzofurobenzopyrones as a new class of potential photoreagents toward DNANahla Ahmed Hasan Farag
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, El Kasr El Aini Street, Cairo 11562, Egypt
Eur J Med Chem 44:18-24. 2009..All the synthesized compounds were screened for photosensitizing activity and some of them exhibited good activity also a certain effect was observed in the dark...
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons induce an inflammatory atherosclerotic plaque phenotype irrespective of their DNA binding propertiesDanielle M J Curfs
Department of Health Risk Analysis and Toxicology, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
FASEB J 19:1290-2. 2005..Moreover, our data revealed a possible novel mechanism of PAH-mediated atherogenesis, which likely involves a TGFbeta-mediated local inflammatory reaction in the vessel wall...
- Identification and quantification of the depurinating DNA adducts formed in mouse skin treated with dibenzo[a,l]pyrene (DB[a,l]P) or its metabolites and in rat mammary gland treated with DB[a,l]PErcole L Cavalieri
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 986805 Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6805, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 18:976-83. 2005..Only one depurinating diol epoxide adduct was formed. Tumorigenicity, mutations, and DNA adduct data suggest that depurinating Ade adducts play a major role in the initiation of tumors by DB[a,l]P...
- Interaction studies of resistomycin from Streptomyces aurantiacus AAA5 with calf thymus DNA and bovine serum albuminR Vijayabharathi
Clinical Biotechnology Lab, Department of Microbial Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 89:294-300. 2012..In addition, the results observed from synchronous fluorescence measurements clearly demonstrate the occurrence of conformational changes of BSA upon addition of the test compound...
- Environmental mutagens may be implicated in the emergence of drug-resistant microorganismsEmiko Miyahara
Department of Environmental Medicine, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Kagoshima, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 317:109-16. 2011..Our findings show that environmental mutagens, and an anticancer drug, are capable of inducing drug-resistant P. aeruginosa similar to strains found in clinical settings...
- Properties of 16,17-disubstituted dihydroviolanthrones formed by reaction of violanthrones with photogenerated radicalsHenry Gruen
Max Planck Institut fur Bioanorganische Chemie, D 45413, Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:1088-93. 2010..The flash photolysis of violanthrones in the presence of both sensitizer and donor reveals ketyl radicals after the pulse, the intermediacy of the semiquinone radicals (VH*) at 650-750 nm and the formation of VH(2)s in the 0-1 ms range...
- Effects of benzo(e)pyrene on the retinal neurosensory cells and human microvascular endothelial cells in vitroA Jayaprakash Patil
Department of Ophthalmology, Gavin S Herbert Eye Institute, University of California, Irvine, California, USA
Curr Eye Res 34:672-82. 2009..To study the effects of benzo(e)pyrene (B(e)P), a toxic component of cigarette smoke, on retinal neurosensory (R28) cells and human microvascular endothelial cells (HMVEC)...
- Enhanced kinetics of solid-phase microextraction and biodegradation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the presence of dissolved organic matterJoris J H Haftka
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, 1018 WV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Environ Toxicol Chem 27:1526-32. 2008..These enhanced kinetic effects of DOM may have strong implications in sediment processes like desorption, nonequilibrium exposure, and biodegradation...
- Nonlinear cancer response at ultralow dose: a 40800-animal ED(001) tumor and biomarker studyGeorge S Bailey
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Marine and Freshwater Biomedical Sciences Center, Linus Pauling Institute, Environmental Health Sciences Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 22:1264-76. 2009..They provide the first experimental estimation in any model of the degree of conservatism that may exist for the EPA default linear assumption for a genotoxic carcinogen...
- In vitro metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene and dibenzo[def,p]chrysene in rodent and human hepatic microsomesS R Crowell
Systems Toxicology and Exposure Science, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, United States Electronic address
Toxicol Lett 228:48-55. 2014..These findings suggest that rats are a more appropriate model organism for human PAH metabolism, and that pregnancy's effects on metabolism should be further explored. ..
- Urinary biomarkers in the risk assessment of PAHsPeter J Boogaard
Shell Health, Shell International BV, PO Box 162, 2501 AN The Hague, The Netherlands
Occup Environ Med 65:221-2. 2008
- Novel biosensor chip for simultaneous detection of DNA-carcinogen adducts with low-temperature fluorescenceNenad M Grubor
Ames Laboratory USDOE and Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 19:547-56. 2004....
- Comparison of the in vitro mutagenicity and metabolism of dimethylnitrosamine and benzo[a]pyrene in tissues from inbred mice treated with phenobarbital, 3-methylcholanthrene or polychlorinated biphenylsJ J Hutton
Mutat Res 66:75-94. 1979..Strain of mouse, type of tissue and test substance are important variables in assessing the potential effect of microsomal enzyme-inducing agents on the metabolism of mutagenic substances...
- Tumor formation in the neonatal mouse bioassay indicates that the potent carcinogen dibenzo[def,p]chrysene (dibenzo[a,l]pyrene) is activated in vivo via its trans-11,12-dihydrodiolKarl L Platt
Institute of Toxicology, University of Mainz, Obere Zahlbacher Str 67, D 55131, Germany
Chem Biol Interact 148:27-36. 2004..This result provides strong evidence that the potent carcinogen DBP is activated in vivo in the mouse via its 11,12-dihydrodiol and not preferentially through alternative pathways...
- 6-sulfooxymethylbenzo[a]pyrene is an ultimate electrophilic and carcinogenic form of the intermediary metabolite 6-hydroxymethylbenzo[a]pyreneJ W Flesher
Department of Pharmacology, and Graduate Center for Toxicology, Albert B Chandler Medical Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 234:554-8. 1997....
- Stable expression of rat dihydrodiol dehydrogenase (AKR1C9) in human breast MCF-7 cells results in the formation of PAH-o-quinones and enzyme mediated cell deathL Tsuruda
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6084, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 14:856-62. 2001..These data indicate that high stable constitutive expression of AKR1C9 will result in B[a]P-7,8-diol mediated cytotoxicity due to the formation of unconjugated BPQ...
- Profiles of cytokine mRNAs in the skin and lymph nodes of SENCAR mice treated epicutaneously with dibenzo[a,l]pyrene or dimethylbenz[a]anthracene reveal a direct correlation between carcinogen-induced contact hypersensitivity and epidermal hyperplasiaG P Casale
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 6805, USA
Mol Carcinog 27:125-40. 2000..In conclusion, our data support carcinogen-specific CHS as a mechanism by which the very potent carcinogen DB[a,l]P induces epidermal hyperplasia, a requirement for tumor promotion in mouse skin...
- Multiphoton spectral analysis of benzo[a]pyrene uptake and metabolism in breast epithelial cell linesRola Barhoumi
Department of Veterinary Integrative Biosciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 4458, USA
J Toxicol Sci 34:13-25. 2009..These results demonstrate the feasibility of analyzing BaP metabolism in situ by multiphoton spectral analysis and also identifying cell-type differences in BaP accumulation and metabolism...
- Molecular modeling benzo[a]pyrene N2-dG adducts in the two overlapping active sites of the Y-family DNA polymerase Dpo4Sushil Chandani
Biology Department, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Mol Graph Model 25:658-70. 2007..Finally, we discuss why Y-family DNAPs might have two catalytic active sites...
- Analysis of carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in complex environmental mixtures by LC-APPI-MS/MSChristoph Hutzler
Institute of Toxicology and Environmental Hygiene, Technical University of Munich, Biedersteiner Strasse 29, 80802 Munich, Germany
Anal Chim Acta 702:218-24. 2011....
- The importance of carcinogen dose in chemoprevention studies: quantitative interrelationships between, dibenzo[a,l]pyrene dose, chlorophyllin dose, target organ DNA adduct biomarkers and final tumor outcomeM Margaret Pratt
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97339, USA
Carcinogenesis 28:611-24. 2007....
- The rainbow trout liver cancer model: response to environmental chemicals and studies on promotion and chemopreventionDavid E Williams
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, The Superfund Center and The Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Weniger 435, Corvallis, OR 97331 6503, USA
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 155:121-7. 2012..These contributions to elucidation of mechanisms of liver cancer, induced by environmental chemicals and the remarkable datasets generated with ED(001) studies, make important contributions to carcinogenesis and chemoprevention...
- Genetic regulation of aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase induction. V. Specific changes in spin state of cytochrome P 450 from genetically responsive animalsD W Nebert
J Biol Chem 248:169-78. 1973
- Factors affecting the frequency of micronuclei in asthmatic and healthy children from OstravaAndrea Rossnerova
Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 14220 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Mutat Res 708:44-9. 2011..Higher levels of MN were associated with increased levels of protein carbonyl groups. We conclude that smoking asthmatic children are at higher risk of DNA damage measured as the frequency of micronuclei in peripheral blood lymphocytes...
- Antimony impairs nucleotide excision repair: XPA and XPE as potential molecular targetsClaudia Grosskopf
Fachgebiet Lebensmittelchemie und Toxikologie, Institut für Lebensmitteltechnologie und Lebensmittelchemie, Technische Universitat Berlin, Gustav Meyer Allee 25, Berlin, Germany
Chem Res Toxicol 23:1175-83. 2010..These results show for the first time that trivalent antimony interferes with proteins involved in nucleotide excision repair and partly impairs this pathway, pointing to an indirect mechanism in the genotoxicity of trivalent antimony...
- Synthesis of dibenzo[def,p]chrysene, its active metabolites, and their 13C-labeled analoguesDaiwang Xu
Ben May Department for Cancer Research, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Org Lett 10:1059-62. 2008..The 13C2-labeled analogues are required as standards for sensitive methods of analysis of their DNA adducts in human cells using stable isotope dilution liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry...
- Synthesis and characterization of nucleosides and oligonucleotides with a benzo[a]pyren-6-ylmethyl adduct at adenine N6 or guanine N2H Y Kim
Chemistry Department and Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 14:1306-14. 2001....
- Degradation of metabolites of benzo[a]pyrene by coupling Penicillium chrysogenum with KMnO4Shu yan Zang
Institute of Applied Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenyang 110016, China
J Environ Sci (China) 19:238-43. 2007..2. Based on the experimental results, a novel concept with regard to the bioremediation of BaP-contaminated environment was discussed, considering the influence on environmental toxicity of the accumulated metabolites...
- Porphyrins as possible preventers of heterocyclic amine carcinogenesisH Hayatsu
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Tsushima, Japan
Cancer Lett 143:185-7. 1999..A number of in vivo data have been accumulated by efforts from many laboratories for the anticarcinogenic and antigenotoxic properties of porphyrins, particularly chlorophyllin, against HAs...
- Differential c-myc expression profiles in normal human bronchial epithelial cells following treatment with benzo[a]pyrene, benzo[a]pyrene-4,5 epoxide, and benzo[a]pyrene-7,8-9,10 diol epoxideWanda R Fields
Research and Development Department, R J Reynolds Tobacco Co, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Mol Carcinog 40:79-89. 2004..Our results demonstrated that, although B[a]P and its metabolites alter c-myc expression, the parent compound and its metabolites produce unequal and contrasting effects on the expression of this gene...
- The effect of long-term depuration on phase I and phase II biotransformation in mullets (Mugil cephalus) chronically exposed to pollutants in River Douro Estuary, PortugalM Ferreira
ICBAS Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas de Abel Salazar, Largo Professor Abel Salazar, 2, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
Mar Environ Res 61:326-38. 2006..This study provides evidence that Douro estuary waters contain bioavailable PAHs that can be associated with the induction of cytochrome P450, and that mullets have the ability to metabolise and eliminate PAHs...
- The Ah locus and the metabolism of chemical carcinogens and other foreign compoundsS S Thorgeirsson
Adv Cancer Res 25:149-93. 1977
- Inhibition of experimental tobacco carcinogen induced head and neck carcinogenesisJoel Schwartz
American Health Foundation, Molecular Pathology Facility, Institute for Cancer Prevention, One Dana Road, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Oral Oncol 40:611-23. 2004..5/7 DB[a,l]P) and 30 weeks (3/7 vs. 6/7 DB[a,l]P). Inhibition of oral carcinogenesis by VE(as) involved reversal of several cellular events that contribute towards oral cancer...
- Mutagenesis studies of the major benzo[a]pyrene N2-dG adduct in a 5'-TG versus a 5'-UG sequence: removal of the methyl group causes a modest decrease in the [G->T/G->A] mutational ratioArumugam Nagalingam
Biology Department, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Mutagenesis 20:105-10. 2005..8-fold decrease is too small to do additional experiments to assess whether this conformational hypothesis, or other hypotheses, are the true cause of the decrease, which is discussed in this paper...
- Variants of mouse DNA polymerase κ reveal a mechanism of efficient and accurate translesion synthesis past a benzo[a]pyrene dG adductYang Liu
Laboratory of Cancer Genomics and Individualized Medicine, Beijing Institute of Genomics and State Key Laboratory of Biomembrane and Membrane Biotechnology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:1789-94. 2014..We conclude that the structural gap physically accommodates the bulky aromatic adduct and the N-clasp is essential for the structural integrity and flexibility of Polκ during translesion synthesis...
- Differential removal of DNA adducts derived from anti-diol epoxides of dibenzo[a,l]pyrene and benzo[a]pyrene in human cellsKristian Dreij
The Institute of Environmental Medicine, Division of Biochemical Toxicology, Karolinska Institutet, Box 210, S 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Chem Res Toxicol 18:655-64. 2005....
- Cancer chemoprevention by dietary chlorophylls: a 12,000-animal dose-dose matrix biomarker and tumor studyTammie J McQuistan
Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 50:341-52. 2012..This finding questions the human relevance of chemoprevention studies carried out at high carcinogen doses that are not proven to lie within a linear, or at least monotonic, endpoint dose-response range...
- [Antitumor cross-resistance of trichinosis]V I Apanasevich
State Medical University, Vladivostok
Vopr Onkol 48:223-6. 2002..It also inhibited mammary gland cancer induced by 7,12-dimethylbenzo(a)anthracene. No significant influence on the formation of fibroadenomas as a side effect was reported...
- Seasonal variation for the ratio of BaP to BeP at different sites in Great Xiamen BayShui Ping Wu
State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
J Environ Monit 14:1221-30. 2012..The external input of PAHs from upwind urban and industrial areas was one of the key factors causing high levels of PAHs in PM(10) in Great Xiamen Bay in winter...
- Detection of benzo(a)pyrene photodegradation products using DNA electrochemical sensorsM Del Carlo
Department of Food Science, University of Teramo, Italy Via Carlo Lerici 1, 64023 Mosciano Stazione TE, Italy
Biosens Bioelectron 31:270-6. 2012..The data reported demonstrate that DNA electrochemical sensors have the potential to be used to monitor remediation processes and to assess the potential toxicity vs. DNA of chemicals forming stable DNA adducts...
- The role of estrogen receptor β in transplacental cancer prevention by indole-3-carbinolAbby D Benninghoff
Department of Animal, Dairy and Veterinary Sciences, Utah State University, 4815 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 6:339-48. 2013..These findings suggest that I3C may act via ERβ to prevent or suppress DBC-initiated transplacental carcinogenesis but that the involvement of this receptor seems to differ depending on the cancer type and gender of the offspring...
- LIGNIN BIODEGRADATON--LIGNINASE & GLUCOSE OXIDASE GENESCA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 1992..a key role in the detoxification of recalcitrant environmental pollutants such as dioxins, DDT, lindane and benzopyrenes, which constitute a serious public health hazard...
- MARINE AND FRESHWATER BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES CENTERDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Ultra-Low Dose Carcinogen Testing with the Trout ModelDavid Williams; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- SIGNALING PATHWAYS MEDIATING TROPHOBLAST PROLIFERATIONDaniel Rappolee; Fiscal Year: 2005..Therefore, the proposed studies should lead to improvement in methods to facilitate placentation and improve IVF and produce protocols for remediation of common defects in pregnancy such as pre-eclampsia and IUGR. ..
- Mechanism of Circadian Susceptibility to PesticidesLOUISA HOOVEN; Fiscal Year: 2008..Humans are inevitably exposed to pyrethroids and other pesticides, and this interdisciplinary investigation is likely to lead to novel strategies protective of human health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DNA BASE SEQUENCE EFFECTS IN CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESISNicholas Geacintov; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PROTEIN PHOSPHATASE 2A AND TUMOR ANTIGENS IN CELL GROWTHGernot Walter; Fiscal Year: 2004..The mutants generated will be used as tools in the future for elucidating the role of PP2A and of its interaction with T antigens in cancer. ..
- Isomeric HRT estrogen-DNA adducts: Structure and RepairNicholas Geacintov; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Gene-Nutrient Interactions and Breast CancerSUSAN STECK; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Neuroprotection and Promotion of Repair Following Neurotoxic InjuryIsaac Pessah; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IMMUNOTOXICITY OF POLYCYCLIC AROMATIC HYDROCARBONSScott Burchiel; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, in Aim 4 we will assess the role of monocyte and P450 expression by Western blot and RT-PCR methods in subsets of HPBMC and human cell lines (above). ..
- DMBA DERVIVATIVES AND CHEMICAL CARCINOGENESISJAMES FLESHER; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR ORIGIN OF CANCER--CATECHOL/SEMIQUINOE/QUINONEErcole Cavalieri; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, we will identify biomarkers for use in diagnosis and in studies of prevention of breast cancer and other diseases. ..
- Molecular Orgin Cancer--Catechol Estrogen 3 4 QuinonesErcole Cavalieri; Fiscal Year: 2004..The knowledge acquired from these studies will be essential for developing preventive strategies. ..
- Annual Autism, Genes and the Environment ConferenceIsaac Pessah; Fiscal Year: 2004..Three workshops for parents and caregivers will address the following: Dietary Factors Influencing Autistic Behaviors; Pharmacological Interventions, and Behavioral Interventions. ..