Genomes and Genes
Summary: A derivative of LOVASTATIN and potent competitive inhibitor of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase (HYDROXYMETHYLGLUTARYL COA REDUCTASES), which is the rate-limiting enzyme in cholesterol biosynthesis. It may also interfere with steroid hormone production. Due to the induction of hepatic LDL RECEPTORS, it increases breakdown of LDL-cholesterol (LIPOPROTEINS, LDL CHOLESTEROL).
Publications381 found, 100 shown here
- The effects of lowering LDL cholesterol with simvastatin plus ezetimibe in patients with chronic kidney disease (Study of Heart and Renal Protection): a randomised placebo-controlled trialColin Baigent
Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet 377:2181-92. 2011..The SHARP trial aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of the combination of simvastatin plus ezetimibe in such patients.
- Rapamycin, but not resveratrol or simvastatin, extends life span of genetically heterogeneous miceRichard A Miller
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 66:191-201. 2011..Causes of death were similar in control and rapamycin-treated mice. Resveratrol (at 300 and 1200 ppm food) and simvastatin (12 and 120 ppm) did not have significant effects on survival in male or female mice...
- The clinical pharmacogenomics implementation consortium: CPIC guideline for SLCO1B1 and simvastatin-induced myopathyR A Wilke
Oates Institute for Experimental Therapeutics, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 92:112-7. 2012..b>Simvastatin is among the most commonly used prescription medications...
- Stimulation of bone formation in vitro and in rodents by statinsG Mundy
OsteoScreen, 2040 Babcock Road, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Science 286:1946-9. 1999..Lovastatin and simvastatin increased bone formation when injected subcutaneously over the calvaria of mice and increased cancellous bone ..
- Inflammatory/antiinflammatory properties of high-density lipoprotein distinguish patients from control subjects better than high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and are favorably affected by simvastatin treatmentBenjamin J Ansell
Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, Calif 90095 1679, USA
Circulation 108:2751-6. 2003..The inflammatory/antiinflammatory properties of HDL were compared with HDL cholesterol in 2 groups of patients and in age- and sex-matched control subjects...
- Early intensive vs a delayed conservative simvastatin strategy in patients with acute coronary syndromes: phase Z of the A to Z trialJames A de Lemos
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 9047, USA
JAMA 292:1307-16. 2004..Limited data are available evaluating how the timing and intensity of statin therapy following an acute coronary syndrome (ACS) event affect clinical outcome...
- A pilot study using simvastatin in the treatment of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: A randomized placebo-controlled trialAustin Nelson
Department of Internal Medicine, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, TX, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:990-4. 2009..This study was designed to assess the utility of statin therapy in patients with biopsy proven nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and hyperlipidemia...
- Development of self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS) for oral bioavailability enhancement of simvastatin in beagle dogsBok Ki Kang
Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Chonbuk National University, Duckjin Dong, Jeonju 561 756, South Korea
Int J Pharm 274:65-73. 2004..drug delivery system (SMEDDS) for oral bioavailability enhancement of a poorly water soluble drug, simvastatin. Solubility of simvastatin was determined in various vehicles...
- Comparison of the efficacy and safety of rosuvastatin versus atorvastatin, simvastatin, and pravastatin across doses (STELLAR* Trial)Peter H Jones
Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin Avenue, A 601, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Cardiol 92:152-60. 2003..open-label, randomized, multicenter trial was to compare rosuvastatin with atorvastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin across dose ranges for reduction of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol...
- Simultaneous modulation of the intrinsic and extrinsic pathways by simvastatin in mediating prostate cancer cell apoptosisAnna Goc
Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
BMC Cancer 12:409. 2012..Mechanisms by which statins induce apoptosis in cancer cells are not clear. We previously showed that simvastatin inhibit prostate cancer cell functions and tumor growth...
- Simvastatin induces apoptosis in human breast cancer cells: p53 and estrogen receptor independent pathway requiring signalling through JNKMeral Koyuturk
Department of Histology and Embryology, Istanbul Science University, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Cancer Lett 250:220-8. 2007The effect of simvastatin, a widely used statin for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia, was investigated in the estrogen receptor (ER)-positive MCF-7, and the ER-negative MDA-MB 231 human breast cancer cell lines...
- Potent inhibition of small-cell lung cancer cell growth by simvastatin reveals selective functions of Ras isoforms in growth factor signallingU K Khanzada
Lung Cancer Biology Group, Division of Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
Oncogene 25:877-87. 2006The impact of the 3-hydroxy-3methylglutaryl CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin on human small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) cell growth and survival was investigated...
- Simvastatin inducing PC3 prostate cancer cell necrosis mediated by calcineurin and mitochondrial dysfunctionKívia A P Oliveira
Departamento de Patologia Clinica, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Bioenerg Biomembr 40:307-14. 2008In the present study we analyzed the mechanisms of simvastatin toxicity for the PC3 human prostate cancer cell line...
- Simvastatin impairs ADP-stimulated respiration and increases mitochondrial oxidative stress in primary human skeletal myotubesHyo Bum Kwak
Department of Kinesiology, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27834, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 52:198-207. 2012..The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of simvastatin on mitochondrial respiration, oxidative stress, and cell death in differentiated primary human skeletal muscle ..
- Effects of statins and farnesyl transferase inhibitors on ERK phosphorylation, apoptosis and cell viability in non-small lung cancer cellsG Pelaia
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University Magna Graecia of Catanzaro, Catanzaro, Italy
Cell Prolif 45:557-65. 2012..Within such a context, the aim of our study was to investigate effects of either simvastatin (at concentrations of 1, 15, and 30 μm) or the farnesyl transferase inhibitor R115777 (at concentrations of 0...
- The HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin overcomes cell adhesion-mediated drug resistance in multiple myeloma by geranylgeranylation of Rho protein and activation of Rho kinaseRalf Schmidmaier
Laboratory for Molecular Haematology, Department of Haematology and Oncology, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, Ziemssenstrasse 1, 80336 Munich, Germany
Blood 104:1825-32. 2004..Only statins such as simvastatin and lovastatin, however, were able to completely restore chemosensitivity...
- Effects of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin on stroke and other major vascular events in 20536 people with cerebrovascular disease or other high-risk conditionsRory Collins
Lancet 363:757-67. 2004..Despite this observation, previous randomised trials had indicated that cholesterol-lowering statin therapy reduces the risk of stroke, but large-scale prospective confirmation has been needed...
- Differential effect of the rs4149056 variant in SLCO1B1 on myopathy associated with simvastatin and atorvastatinL R Brunham
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Pharmacogenomics J 12:233-7. 2012..Recently, variation in the SLCO1B1 gene was reported to predict simvastatin-associated myopathy...
- Metabolomics reveals amino acids contribute to variation in response to simvastatin treatmentMiles Trupp
Bioinformatics Research Group, AI Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e38386. 2012..a gas chromatography-time-of-flight mass-spectrometry-based metabolomics platform to evaluate global effects of simvastatin on intermediary metabolism...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of simvastatin to treat Alzheimer diseaseM Sano
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10468, USA
Neurology 77:556-63. 2011....
- Meta-analysis of comparative efficacy of increasing dose of Atorvastatin versus Rosuvastatin versus Simvastatin on lowering levels of atherogenic lipids (from VOYAGER)Stephen J Nicholls
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Cardiol 105:69-76. 2010..was performed of 32,258 patients in studies comparing the efficacy of rosuvastatin with that of atorvastatin or simvastatin. The impact of increasing dose on lowering LDL cholesterol, triglycerides, non-high-density lipoprotein (HDL) ..
- A novel anti-inflammatory role of simvastatin in a murine model of allergic asthmaAnne McKay
Division of Immunology, Infection, and Inflammation, Section of Respiratory Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Immunol 172:2903-8. 2004..We therefore examined the anti-inflammatory activity of simvastatin in a murine model of allergic asthma...
- Intensive lowering of LDL cholesterol with 80 mg versus 20 mg simvastatin daily in 12,064 survivors of myocardial infarction: a double-blind randomised trialJane Armitage
SEARCH Study, Clinical Trial Service Unit and Epidemiological Studies Unit, Richard Doll Building, Old Road Campus, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Lancet 376:1658-69. 2010..We aimed to establish efficacy and safety of more intensive statin treatment in patients at high cardiovascular risk...
- Simvastatin decreases lipopolysaccharide-induced pulmonary inflammation in healthy volunteersMurali Shyamsundar
The Queen s University of Belfast, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:1107-14. 2009b>Simvastatin inhibits inflammatory responses in vitro and in murine models of lung inflammation in vivo...
- Genome-wide association of lipid-lowering response to statins in combined study populationsMathew J Barber
Department of Human Genetics, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9763. 2010..To identify single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) contributing to this variation, we performed a combined analysis of genome-wide association (GWA) results from three trials of statin efficacy...
- Evidence for an independent and cumulative effect of postprandial hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia on endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress generation: effects of short- and long-term simvastatin treatmentAntonio Ceriello
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Experimental and Clinical, Chair of Internal Medicine, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Circulation 106:1211-8. 2002..Evidence suggests that postprandial hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia induce endothelial dysfunction through oxidative stress; however, the distinct role of these two factors is a matter of debate...
- Simvastatin effects on skeletal muscle: relation to decreased mitochondrial function and glucose intoleranceSteen Larsen
Center for Healthy Aging, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:44-53. 2013..and skeletal muscle coenzyme Q(10) (Q(10)) content, mitochondrial density, and mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (OXPHOS) capacity were measured in simvastatin-treated patients (n = 10) and in well-matched control subjects (n = 9).
- Simvastatin inhibits pro-inflammatory mediators through induction of heme oxygenase-1 expression in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW264.7 macrophagesPak On Leung
Department of Intensive Care, Chi Mei Medical Center, Liouying, Tainan, Taiwan
Toxicol Lett 207:159-66. 2011..Here, the possibility that HO-1 is involved in the anti-inflammatory action of simvastatin, using lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW264...
- Comparison of usefulness of simvastatin 20 mg versus 80 mg in preventing contrast-induced nephropathy in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary interventionJia Xinwei
Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang City, Hebei Province, China
Am J Cardiol 104:519-24. 2009..A total of 228 patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing selective PCI were randomly divided into simvastatin 20-mg group (S20, n = 115) and simvastatin 80-mg group (S80, n = 113)...
- Age-dependent rescue by simvastatin of Alzheimer's disease cerebrovascular and memory deficitsXin Kang Tong
Laboratory of Cerebrovascular Research, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B4, Canada
J Neurosci 32:4705-15. 2012..Here, we report that simvastatin (3-6 months, 40 mg/kg/d) completely rescued cerebrovascular reactivity, basal endothelial nitric oxide ..
- Postprandial increase of complement component 3 in normolipidemic patients with coronary artery disease: effects of expanded-dose simvastatinC J Halkes
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 21:1526-30. 2001..The effects of lipid lowering by simvastatin were evaluated in 16 patients. Fasting plasma C3 was 1.06+/-0.26 and 0.90+/-0...
- Simvastatin improves flow-mediated dilation but reduces adiponectin levels and insulin sensitivity in hypercholesterolemic patientsKwang Kon Koh
Divison of Cardiology, Gil Medical Center, Gachon University, Incheon, Korea
Diabetes Care 31:776-82. 2008We hypothesized that simvastatin may reduce adiponectin levels and insulin sensitivity in hypercholesterolemic patients.
- Simvastatin inhibition of mevalonate pathway induces apoptosis in human breast cancer cells via activation of JNK/CHOP/DR5 signaling pathwayArchana Gopalan
Department of Nutritional Sciences A2703, University of Texas at Austin, TX 78712, USA
Cancer Lett 329:9-16. 2013b>Simvastatin (SVA) was shown to up-regulate expression of death receptor-5 (DR5), CCAAT/enhancer binding protein homologous protein (CHOP) and phosphorylated c-Jun N-terminal kinase (pJNK) in human breast cancer cell lines...
- Anticancer efficacy of simvastatin on prostate cancer cells and tumor xenografts is associated with inhibition of Akt and reduced prostate-specific antigen expressionSamith T Kochuparambil
Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 336:496-505. 2011..There has been renewed interest in the potential therapeutic benefits of statins for cancer. Simvastatin, a widely used generic drug for preventing cardiovascular events, is well known for its effects on cellular ..
- Simvastatin reduces vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: results of a pilot randomized clinical trialJohn R Lynch
Departments of Medicine Neurology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Stroke 36:2024-6. 2005Cerebral vasospasm remains a major source of morbidity after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). We demonstrate that simvastatin reduces serum markers of brain injury and attenuates vasospasm after SAH.
- Statin-triggered cell death in primary human lung mesenchymal cells involves p53-PUMA and release of Smac and Omi but not cytochrome cSaeid Ghavami
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Biochim Biophys Acta 1803:452-67. 2010..airway mesenchymal cells, which play an effector role in asthma and chronic obstructive lung disease (COPD), to simvastatin exposure...
- Simvastatin as a treatment for pulmonary hypertension trialMartin R Wilkins
Experimental Medicine, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:1106-13. 2010In animal models of pulmonary hypertension, simvastatin has been shown to reduce pulmonary artery pressure and induce regression of associated right ventricular (RV) hypertrophy.
- Simvastatin inhibits the activation of p21ras and prevents the loss of dopaminergic neurons in a mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseAnamitra Ghosh
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Neurosci 29:13543-56. 2009..Despite intense investigation, no interdictive therapy is available for PD. We investigated whether simvastatin, a Food and Drug Administration-approved cholesterol-lowering drug, could protect against nigrostriatal ..
- Simvastatin attenuates microglial cells and astrocyte activation and decreases interleukin-1beta level after traumatic brain injuryBo Li
Department of Neurosurgery, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Neurosurgery 65:179-85; discussion 185-6. 2009Our previous studies demonstrated that simvastatin promotes neurological functional recovery after traumatic brain injury (TBI) in rat; however, the underlying mechanisms remain poorly understood...
- Simvastatin lowers portal pressure in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension: a randomized controlled trialJuan G Abraldes
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 136:1651-8. 2009b>Simvastatin improves liver generation of nitric oxide and hepatic endothelial dysfunction in patients with cirrhosis, so it could be an effective therapy for portal hypertension...
- Role of RhoA inactivation in reduced cell proliferation of human airway smooth muscle by simvastatinNaoya Takeda
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 35:722-9. 2006..b>Simvastatin (0.1-1...
- Ezetimibe alone or in combination with simvastatin increases small dense low-density lipoproteins in healthy men: a randomized trialKaspar Berneis
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital Zurich and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Heart J 31:1633-9. 2010..This study assessed by gradient gel electrophoresis the effects of ezetimibe alone, simvastatin alone, and their combination on sdLDL subfraction distribution.
- Effect of postprandial hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia on circulating adhesion molecules and oxidative stress generation and the possible role of simvastatin treatmentAntoniom Ceriello
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Experimental and Clinical, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Diabetes 53:701-10. 2004..Subsequently, diabetic subjects took simvastatin 40 mg/day or placebo for 12 weeks...
- SLCO1B1 variants and statin-induced myopathy--a genomewide studyE Link
N Engl J Med 359:789-99. 2008..In rare cases, myopathy occurs in association with statin therapy, especially when the statins are administered at higher doses and with certain other medications...
- Mortality and incidence of cancer during 10-year follow-up of the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S)Timo E Strandberg
Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, PL 340, 00029 HUS, Finland
Lancet 364:771-7. 2004..We extended post-trial follow-up of participants in the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S) to investigate cause-specific mortality and incidence of cancer 5 years after closure of ..
- Simvastatin increases endothelial nitric oxide synthase and ameliorates cerebral vasospasm resulting from subarachnoid hemorrhageMatthew J McGirt
Multidisciplinary Neuroprotection Laboratories, Duke University Medical Center, Duke University School of Medicine Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Stroke 33:2950-6. 2002Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activity is decreased after subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH). Simvastatin increases eNOS activity...
- Additive beneficial effects of losartan combined with simvastatin in the treatment of hypercholesterolemic, hypertensive patientsKwang Kon Koh
Cardiology, Vascular Medicine and Atherosclerosis Unit, Gil Heart Center, Gachon Medical School, 1198 Kuwol dong, Namdong gu, Incheon, Korea
Circulation 110:3687-92. 2004..Therefore, we compared vascular and metabolic responses to these therapies either alone or in combination in hypercholesterolemic, hypertensive patients...
- Phenotypic predictors of response to simvastatin therapy among African-Americans and Caucasians: the Cholesterol and Pharmacogenetics (CAP) StudyJoel A Simon
General Internal Medicine Section, Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Cardiol 97:843-50. 2006..African-American and white men and women who completed an open-label, 6-week pharmacogenetics trial of 40 mg of simvastatin. The phenotypic and demographic variables were examined as predictors of the change in lipids and lipoproteins ..
- Simvastatin strongly reduces levels of Alzheimer's disease beta -amyloid peptides Abeta 42 and Abeta 40 in vitro and in vivoK Fassbender
Department of Neurology, Clinic Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Theodor-Kutzer-Ufer 1-3, D-68167 Mannheim, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5856-61. 2001..Here we demonstrate that the widely used cholesterol-lowering drugs simvastatin and lovastatin reduce intracellular and extracellular levels of Abeta42 and Abeta40 peptides in primary ..
- Anti-inflammatory effects of resveratrol, curcumin and simvastatin in acute small intestinal inflammationStefan Bereswill
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e15099. 2010The health beneficial effects of Resveratrol, Curcumin and Simvastatin have been demonstrated in various experimental models of inflammation...
- Randomized trial of the effects of simvastatin on cognitive functioning in hypercholesterolemic adultsMatthew F Muldoon
Center for Clinical Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Am J Med 117:823-9. 2004..The current study was designed to confirm and extend those findings...
- Endothelial cell barrier protection by simvastatin: GTPase regulation and NADPH oxidase inhibitionWeiguo Chen
Sect of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, Univ of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L575-83. 2008..We examined the relative regulatory effects of simvastatin on RhoA, Rac1, and NADPH oxidase activities in the context of human pulmonary artery EC barrier protection...
- Disruption of a sugar transporter gene cluster in a hyperthermophilic archaeon using a host-marker system based on antibiotic resistanceRie Matsumi
Department of Synthetic Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, Graduate School of Engineering, Kyoto University, Katsura, Nishikyo ku, Kyoto 615 8510, Japan
J Bacteriol 189:2683-91. 2007..a gene disruption system in the hyperthermophilic archaeon Thermococcus kodakaraensis using the antibiotic simvastatin and a fusion gene designed to overexpress the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase gene (..
- Simvastatin reduces expression of cytokines interleukin-6, interleukin-8, and monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in circulating monocytes from hypercholesterolemic patientsAbdolreza Rezaie-Majd
Clinic of Internal Medicine II, Department of Angiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1194-9. 2002..The anti-inflammatory effects of statins have recently been implicated in the clinical benefit that can be obtained in the treatment of atherosclerosis. Little is known about the mechanisms by which statins counteract inflammation...
- Rationale and design of IMPROVE-IT (IMProved Reduction of Outcomes: Vytorin Efficacy International Trial): comparison of ezetimbe/simvastatin versus simvastatin monotherapy on cardiovascular outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromesChristopher P Cannon
The TIMI Study Group, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am Heart J 156:826-32. 2008..The combination of ezetimibe/simvastatin produces greater reductions in LDL-C compared to simvastatin monotherapy...
- Simvastatin-mediated upregulation of VEGF and BDNF, activation of the PI3K/Akt pathway, and increase of neurogenesis are associated with therapeutic improvement after traumatic brain injuryHongtao Wu
Department of Neurosurgery, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Neurotrauma 25:130-9. 2008This study was undertaken to evaluate the effect of simvastatin, a cholesterol-lowering agent, on the Akt-mediated signaling pathway and neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus (DG) of the hippocampus in rats after traumatic brain injury (TBI)...
- Different effects of the ABCG2 c.421C>A SNP on the pharmacokinetics of fluvastatin, pravastatin and simvastatinJenni E Keskitalo
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Pharmacogenomics 10:1617-24. 2009This study aimed to investigate possible effects of the ABCG2 c.421C>A (p.Gln141Lys; rs2231142) genotype on fluvastatin, pravastatin and simvastatin pharmacokinetics.
- Simvastatin enhances irinotecan-induced apoptosis in human non-small cell lung cancer cells by inhibition of proteasome activityIn Hae Park
Lung Cancer Branch, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
Invest New Drugs 29:883-90. 2011b>Simvastatin, a potent inhibitor of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase (HMG-CoA) is known to stimulate apoptotic cell death and induce cell cycle arrest through inhibition of proteasome...
- Double impact on p-glycoprotein by statins enhances doxorubicin cytotoxicity in human neuroblastoma cellsEvelyn Sieczkowski
Institute of Pharmacology, Center of Biomolecular Medicine and Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int J Cancer 126:2025-35. 2010..Indeed, simvastatin directly inhibited dye transport at equimolar concentrations of the ABC transporter inhibitor, verapamil...
- Novel CYP3A4 intron 6 single nucleotide polymorphism is associated with simvastatin-mediated cholesterol reduction in the Rotterdam StudyLaure Elens
Departments of Clinical Chemistry, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pharmacogenet Genomics 21:861-6. 2011..is involved in the oxidative metabolism of many drugs and xenobiotics including the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin. The objective of this study was to investigate whether a new CYP3A4 functional single nucleotide polymorphism (..
- The role of simvastatin in the osteogenesis of injectable tissue-engineered bone based on human adipose-derived stromal cells and platelet-rich plasmaYongsheng Zhou
Department of Prosthodontics, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, PR China
Biomaterials 31:5325-35. 2010..This study aimed to evaluate if simvastatin can be applied as a bone anabolic agent for this ITB. We found 0.01 microm, 0...
- Protective effects of l-carnitine and piracetam against mitochondrial permeability transition and PC3 cell necrosis induced by simvastatinRute A P Costa
Departamento de Patologia Clinica, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 701:82-6. 2013..Here we investigated the pathways leading to simvastatin-induced prostate cancer cell death as well as the mechanisms of cell death protection by l-carnitine or ..
- Effect of simvastatin on nitric oxide synthases (eNOS, iNOS) and arginine and its derivatives (ADMA, SDMA) in ischemia/reperfusion injury in rat liverMałgorzata Trocha
Department of Pharmacology, Wroclaw Medical University, Mikulicza Radeckiego 2, PL 50 345 Wrocław, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 62:343-51. 2010..In this study, the impact of simvastatin (SV) on the levels of nitric oxide synthases, and arginine (Arg) and its derivatives was evaluated in rat liver ..
- Simvastatin treatment in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis receiving interferon beta 1a: a double-blind randomized controlled trialMansoureh Togha
Sina Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Mult Scler 16:848-54. 2010This study was conducted to evaluate the effect of simvastatin (40 mg/day) as an adjuvant therapy to interferon beta (IFNb 1a, 30 microg once weekly) in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients, compared with placebo.
- Simvastatin reduces secondary brain injury caused by cortical contusion in rats: possible involvement of TLR4/NF-kappaB pathwayGang Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University, Suzhou 215006, China
Exp Neurol 216:398-406. 2009b>Simvastatin, a cholesterol-lowering agent, has demonstrated neuroprotective effects against brain injury, but the underlying mechanisms remain unclear...
- The 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase inhibitors, simvastatin, lovastatin and mevastatin inhibit proliferation and invasion of melanoma cellsSharon A Glynn
National Institute for Cellular Biotechnology, Dublin City University, Glasnevin, Dublin 9, Ireland
BMC Cancer 8:9. 2008..We examined the effects of statin drugs on in vitro proliferation, migration and invasion of melanoma cells...
- The effect of local simvastatin delivery strategies on mandibular bone formation in vivoYeonju Lee
Department of Surgical Specialties and Oral Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Dentistry, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA
Biomaterials 29:1940-9. 2008Systemic simvastatin is known to reduce cholesterol and stimulate modest bone formation, but local surgical placement in polylactic acid domes causes robust bone formation and local swelling...
- Simvastatin inhibits renal cancer cell growth and metastasis via AKT/mTOR, ERK and JAK2/STAT3 pathwayZhiqing Fang
Department of Urology, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Ji Nan, Shandong, China
PLoS ONE 8:e62823. 2013..In the present study, we aimed to investigate the potential effects of simvastatin on RCC cells and the underlying mechanisms by which simvastatin exerted its actions...
- Pharmacokinetic interactions of almorexant with midazolam and simvastatin, two CYP3A4 model substrates, in healthy male subjectsMatthias Hoch
Clinical Pharmacology, Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Gewerbestrasse 16, 4123 Allschwil, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 69:523-32. 2013..Therefore, a study was conducted to investigate the effects of multiple-dose almorexant on the pharmacokinetics of midazolam and simvastatin, two CYP3A4 model substrates.
- Suppression of RAGE as a basis of simvastatin-dependent plaque stabilization in type 2 diabetesChiara Cuccurullo
Atherosclerosis, Hypertension and Dyslipidemia Unit, G D Annunzio University of Chieti Pescara, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 26:2716-23. 2006..Thus, the aim of this study was to characterize the effect of simvastatin on the expression of RAGE and RAGE-dependent plaque-destabilizing genes in human atherosclerotic plaques.
- Treatment with simvastatin in normocholesterolemic patients with Alzheimer's disease: A 26-week randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trialMikael Simons
Department of Neurology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Ann Neurol 52:346-50. 2002..Individuals were given up to 80mg simvastatin daily or placebo for 26 weeks...
- Preparation and characterization of PLGA microspheres by the electrospraying method for delivering simvastatin for bone regenerationSubrata Deb Nath
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Materials, Soonchunhyang University, Asan, South Korea
Int J Pharm 443:87-94. 2013..Several experiments were carried out using the PLGA-DCM source solution with different amounts of simvastatin (SIM), a drug that enhances bone regeneration, to understand this drug delivery system...
- Monocyte tissue factor-dependent activation of coagulation in hypercholesterolemic mice and monkeys is inhibited by simvastatinA Phillip Owens
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, McAllister Heart Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
J Clin Invest 122:558-68. 2012..Similarly, a deficiency of either TLR4 or TLR6 reduced levels of MP TF activity. Simvastatin treatment of hypercholesterolemic mice and monkeys reduced oxLDL, monocyte TF expression, MP TF activity, ..
- Simvastatin inhibits the additive activation of ERK1/2 and proliferation of rat vascular smooth muscle cells induced by combined mechanical stress and oxLDL through LOX-1 pathwayZhengyu Zhang
Department of Histology and Embryology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Cell Signal 25:332-40. 2013..mechanical stretch stress (10% elongation) with and without oxLDL (25 μg/ml) in the presence and absence of simvastatin (2.5 μmol/L)...
- Effects of ezetimibe and/or simvastatin on LDL receptor protein expression and on LDL receptor and HMG-CoA reductase gene expression: a randomized trial in healthy menIoanna Gouni-Berthold
Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Cologne, Kerpener Street 62, 50937 Cologne, Germany
Atherosclerosis 198:198-207. 2008The combination of simvastatin, an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, and ezetimibe, an inhibitor of Niemann-Pick C1-like 1 protein, decreases cholesterol synthesis and absorption and reduces circulating LDL-cholesterol concentrations...
- Simvastatin decreases free radicals formation in the human abdominal aortic aneurysm wall via NF-κBA Piechota-Polanczyk
Department of Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 44:133-7. 2012..Statins have been reported to suppress the progression of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). However, the effects of statins on inflammatory processes and free radicals generation are poorly understood...
- Effect of combination therapy with fenofibrate and simvastatin on postprandial lipemia in the ACCORD lipid trialGissette Reyes-Soffer
Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Diabetes Care 36:422-8. 2013The Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes lipid study (ACCORD Lipid), which compared the effects of simvastatin plus fenofibrate (FENO-S) versus simvastatin plus placebo (PL-S) on cardiovascular disease outcomes, measured ..
- Fast assessment of stroke and transient ischaemic attack to prevent early recurrence (FASTER): a randomised controlled pilot trialJames Kennedy
Acute Stroke Programme, Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Lancet Neurol 6:961-9. 2007..Patients with transient ischaemic attack (TIA) or minor stroke are at high immediate risk of stroke. The optimum early treatment options for these patients are not known...
- Statins modulate transcriptional activity of heme-oxygenase-1 promoter in NIH 3T3 CellsMay F Mrad
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
J Cell Biochem 113:3466-75. 2012..b>Simvastatin or fluvastatin induced a significant increase in HO-1 protein expression and mRNA levels...
- The vitamin E reduces liver lipoperoxidation and fibrosis in a model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitisIdilio Zamin Jr
Post Graduation Program in Hepatology, Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Arq Gastroenterol 47:86-92. 2010..No effective treatment is available for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in nowadays...
- Simvastatin therapy prevents brain trauma-induced increases in beta-amyloid peptide levelsEric E Abrahamson
Department of Neurology, Brain Trauma Research Center, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Neurol 66:407-14. 2009..We investigated the effects of simvastatin, a 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase inhibitor, on hippocampal A beta burden in a clinically relevant ..
- Gastric antisecretory and antiulcer effects of simvastatin in ratsMohammad Tariq
Research Center, Armed Forces Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:2316-23. 2007..b>Simvastatin (SIM) is a commonly prescribed statin with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties...
- Simvastatin has an anti-inflammatory effect on macrophages via upregulation of an atheroprotective transcription factor, Kruppel-like factor 2Tiina T Tuomisto
Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Medicine, A I Virtanen Institute, University of Kuopio, PO Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Cardiovasc Res 78:175-84. 2008..Since macrophages play a central role in atherogenesis, we characterized the effects of simvastatin on gene expression profile of human peripheral blood monocyte (HPBM)-macrophages.
- Simvastatin inhibited cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice fed a "Western-style diet" by increasing PPAR α and γ expression and reducing TC, MMP-9, and Cat S levelsYan Wen Qin
Beijing An Zhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing Institute of Heart Lung and Blood Vessel Diseases, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 31:1350-8. 2010The examine the cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice (ApoE-/- mice) fed a "Western-style diet" and the effect of simvastatin intervention.
- An effective assessment of simvastatin-induced toxicity with NMR-based metabonomics approachHye Ji Yang
Department of Biochemistry, Inha University Hospital and Center for Advanced Medical Education by BK21 Project, College of Medicine, Inha University, Incheon, Korea
PLoS ONE 6:e16641. 2011b>Simvastatin, which is used to control elevated cholesterol levels, is one of the most widely prescribed drugs. However, a daily excessive dose can induce drug-toxicity, especially in muscle and liver...
- Simvastatin inhibits angiotensin II-induced cardiac cell hypertrophy: role of Homer 1aWan Gang Guo
Department of Cardiology, Tangdu Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 37:40-5. 2010..2. After serum starvation for 24 h, cells were treated with 1 micromol/L simvastatin, 100 nmol/L angiotensin (Ang) II or their combination added to Dulbecco's modified Eagle's medium containing 0...
- Simvastatin regulates CXC chemokine formation in streptococcal M1 protein-induced neutrophil infiltration in the lungSongen Zhang
Department of Clinical Sciences, Section for Surgery, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Sweden
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 300:L930-9. 2011..This study examined effects of simvastatin on M1 protein-provoked pulmonary inflammation and tissue injury...
- Simvastatin inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis and G0/G1 cell cycle arrest in hepatic cancer cellsBorna Relja
Department of Trauma Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Int J Mol Med 26:735-41. 2010..b>Simvastatin is a cholesterol-lowering drug which inhibits 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutarylcoenzyme CoA (HMG-CoA) reductase...
- Enteric microbiome metabolites correlate with response to simvastatin treatmentRima Kaddurah-Daouk
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25482. 2011..and statins share transporters in the liver and intestine; we observed that increased plasma concentration of simvastatin positively correlates with higher levels of several secondary bile acids...
- Plasma concentrations of active simvastatin acid are increased by gemfibrozilJ T Backman
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 68:122-9. 2000Concomitant treatment with simvastatin and gemfibrozil, two lipid-lowering drugs, has been associated with occurrence of myopathy in case reports...
- Simvastatin alters human endothelial cell adhesion molecule expression and inhibits leukocyte adhesion under flowKirstie A Eccles
Centre for Atherothrombosis Research, Bradford University, BD7 1DP, United Kingdom
Atherosclerosis 200:69-79. 2008..01) levels of P-selectin, abrogated (p<0.001) by pre-treatment with statin. EC exposed to TNF-alpha demonstrated a significant increase (p<0.001) in levels of E-selectin, reduced (p<0.05) by pre-treatment with statin...
- Simvastatin protects against amyloid beta and HIV-1 Tat-induced promoter activities of inflammatory genes in brain endothelial cellsIbolya E Andras
Molecular Neuroscience and Vascular Biology Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, University of Kentucky Medical Center, 593 Wethington Bldg, 900 S Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Mol Pharmacol 73:1424-33. 2008..b>Simvastatin, the 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitor, effectively blocked proinflammatory reactions ..
- Anti-inflammatory effects of simvastatin in subjects with hypercholesterolemiaJ Musial
Department of Medicine, Jagiellonian University School of Medicine, Skawinska 8, 31 066, Krakow, Poland
Int J Cardiol 77:247-53. 2001..The aim of the study was to assess the influence of simvastatin and aspirin on serum levels of C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and ..
- Effect of simvastatin on cetuximab resistance in human colorectal cancer with KRAS mutationsJeeyun Lee
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, 50 Irwon dong, Gangnam Gu, Seoul 135 710, Korea
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:674-88. 2011..Statins have reported antitumor activity, but it is unknown whether simvastatin can reverse cetuximab resistance in KRAS mutant CRC.
- Stabilization and translocation of p53 to mitochondria is linked to Bax translocation to mitochondria in simvastatin-induced apoptosisSang Kyu Lee
Department of Biochemistry, College of Natural Sciences, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 391:1592-7. 2010..In this study, we investigated the signaling pathways leading to apoptosis by simvastatin. Simvastatin induced cardinal features of apoptosis including increased DNA fragmentation, disruption of ..
- Assessment of the efficacy of different statins in murine collagen-induced arthritisGaby Palmer
University Hospital and University of Geneva School of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 50:4051-9. 2004..In this context, in vivo prophylactic and therapeutic effects of simvastatin were recently demonstrated in mouse collagen-induced arthritis, a well-described experimental model for human ..
- Effects of low-dosage simvastatin on rheumatoid arthritis through reduction of Th1/Th2 and CD4/CD8 ratiosHiroko Kanda
Department of Allergy and Rheumatology, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8655, and Department of Rheumatology, Sagamihara National Hospital, National Hospital Organization, Kanagawa, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 17:364-8. 2007The objective of this study was to assess both the anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects of low-dosage simvastatin on rheumatoid arthritis (RA). In each patient, simvastatin at 10 mg/day was administered for 12 weeks...
- High-dose statins and skeletal muscle metabolism in humans: a randomized, controlled trialHannu Päivä
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Tampere, Finland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 78:60-8. 2005..This study was designed to assess the effect of high-dose statin treatment on cholesterol and ubiquinone metabolism and mitochondrial function in human skeletal muscle...
- Simvastatin attenuates cardiopulmonary bypass-induced myocardial inflammatory injury in rats by activating peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γYi Shen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Jinling Hospital, Clinical Medicine School of Nanjing University, 305 East Zhongshan Road, 210002 Nanjing, China
Eur J Pharmacol 649:255-62. 2010..A rat model of cardiopulmonary bypass was established. The animals were pretreated with simvastatin 5 mg/kg/day or 10 mg/kg/day for 7 days before operation...
- Mevalonate cascade regulation of airway mesenchymal cell autophagy and apoptosis: a dual role for p53Saeid Ghavami
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e16523. 2011..Chemical inhibition of autophagy increased simvastatin-induced caspase activation and cell death...
- Simvastatin decreases nitric oxide overproduction and reverts the impaired vascular responsiveness induced by endotoxic shock in ratsAlexandre Giusti-Paiva
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Shock 21:271-5. 2004..In the present study, we investigated the effect of simvastatin, an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, on the production of nitric oxide and the cardiovascular response to LPS...
- Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury of Human Endothelium: Role of Glucose and StatinsTHOMAS JAY EBERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..In additional studies, the modulatory role of simvastatin on I/R injury and on APC during hyperglycemia will be examined...
- A Clinical Trial of Aspirin and Simvastatin in Pulmonary Arterial HypertensionSteven Kawut; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Simvastatin decreases cholesterol, stabilizes the endothelial cell layer, increases the bioavailability of nitric oxide, ..
- Dietary Cholesterol and Defects in Cholesterol SynthesisROBERT DAVID STEINER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our second objective is to test the efficacy of simvastatin as a complementary therapeutic strategy in patients supplemented with cholesterol...
- Statins &Lymphoid Malignancy Risk in a Large Multi-Site Population-Based CohortMarianne Ulcickas Yood; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., lovastatin, simvastatin, and atorvastatin) and for lymphoma subtypes most strongly related to chronic inflammation (i.e...
- S-Nitrosylated Hemoglobin and Ischemic Brain InjuryDavid Warner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Various compounds, known to either donate nitric oxide (NO) or upregulate eNOS expression (e.g., simvastatin), increase CBF in ischemic tissue and improve experimental stroke outcome...
- Alternative Splicing in Regulation of Cholesterol Synthesis and UptakeMarisa Wong Medina; Fiscal Year: 2013..of LDL, have been associated with variation in plasma LDL as well as with the magnitude of LDL reduction by simvastatin. Recent evidence has indicated that alternative splicing of four genes involved in cholesterol metabolism (..
- Evaluating HMG-CoA reductase as a therapeutic target in ALSChristopher Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..two-year project, we propose to validate HMGCR as a target in vivo using two potent ligands, cerivastatin and simvastatin, as probes...
- Cholesterol induces oxidative stress and triggers iron and A? accumulationOthman Ghribi; Fiscal Year: 2012..will compare the effects of pravastatin (a hydrophilic statin that has a low propensity to cross the BBB) and simvastatin (a lipophilic statin that readily cross the BBB) on oxidative stress, iron dyshomeostasis, and Abeta ..
- System for DNA-Guided Optimization and Personalization of Statin TherapyGUALBERTO RUANO; Fiscal Year: 2013..system can predict the safety and efficacy of the pre-eminent statin drugs (namely, atorvastatin [Lipitor(R)], simvastatin [Zocor(R)], and rosuvastatin [Crestor(R)]-which together account for 85% of the U.S...
- Genomics and pharmacodynamics of statin-related rhabdomyolysisBruce M Psaty; Fiscal Year: 2013..a large case-control study of rhabdomyolysis (n=250 cases) in the United Kingdom, primarily in users of simvastatin and atorvastatin, will provide opportunities for replication, meta-analysis, and improved power...
- Protection against acute inflammatory demyelinating peripheral nerve diseaseEVAN STUBBS; Fiscal Year: 2009..using the following Specific Aims: We will determine (1) the dose- and time-dependent effect of lovastatin and simvastatin treatment on Rho-GTPase dependent expression of E-selectin, ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 in primary cultures of rat ..
- Effect of High-Dose Atorvastatin on Neuronal Activity and Cognitive Function Donna Polk; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., 80 mg atorvastatin and simvastatin and 40mg rosuvastatin) and to date there have been no randomized clinical trials examining cognition with high-..
- In vitro and in vivo study of simvastatin plus lithium in bipolar depressionRoy H Perlis; Fiscal Year: 2013..that acted synergistically with Wnt3a treatment and show further additivity with lithium treatment, including simvastatin, one of the most potent statins known to be capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier...
- Protective Mechanisms of Statins in Alzheimer's DiseaseLing Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is further emphasized by the ongoing clinical trials such as Cholesterol-Lowering Agent (simvastatin) to Slow Progression (CLASP) of AD (ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT00053599)...
- The role of hypoxia in venous neointimal hyperplasia in hemodialysis graftsSanjay Misra; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcomes using commercially available anti-VEGF-A antibodies (Avastin (Bevacizumab)) and MMP inhibitors (Simvastatin or Sirolimus) which can be delivered using catheter based technology...
- Simvastatin treatment of experimental intracerebral hemorrhageDONALD M SEYFRIED; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our study is designed to investigate the use of a statin drugs, simvastatin and atorvastatin, after experimental ICH in the rat...
- HMG-CoA reductase alternative splicing and LDL response to statinRonald M Krauss; Fiscal Year: 2010..lines derived from subjects in the Cholesterol and Pharmacogenetics (CAP) study, that increased magnitude of simvastatin-induced expression of a spliced HMGCR transcript lacking exon 13 in vitro is significantly correlated with ..
- Cell Biology of Vasopressin-Induced Water ChannelsDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indeed, we recently found that an FDA approved drug, simvastatin, blocks AQP2 endocytosis and reduces urine output in VP- deficient Brattleboro rats...
- Role of Sphingolipids in the Pathobiology of Lung InjuryViswanathan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project #4 will focus on the potential role of S1P analogues, alone or in combination with simvastatin, in reducing RILI in murine models and link S1P target genes to RILI susceptibility...
- AIM-HIGHRUTH M MCBRIDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..clinical trial designed to test the hypothesis that the drug combination of extended-release (ER-) niacin plus simvastatin is superior to simvastatin alone, at comparable levels of intreatment LDL-cholesterol, for delaying the time to ..
- CoEnzyme Q10 in Statin MyopathyPAUL DAVIS THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Subjects will be treated with simvastatin 20 mg daily or placebo in a double-blind, cross-over design to determine if their myalgic symptoms reoccur...
- Cell cycle events: outcomes measures in Alzheimer modelsKarl Herrup; Fiscal Year: 2010..therapies that are currently being explored for use in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: ibuprofen, simvastatin and an new approach, GW3965, an agonist of the LXR receptor...
- Pathways of fenofibrate effects on cardiovascular outcomes in ACCORDHenry N Ginsberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..control reduces CVD events more than standard blood pressure control, 3) treatment of dyslipidemia with simvastatin plus fenofibrate reduce CVD events more than treatment with simvastatin alone in people with type 2 diabetes ..
- Simvastatin to Retard Degenerative Disc DiseaseChia Ying Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our previous work indicated that the common cholesterol-lowing drug simvastatin stimulated endogenous BMP-2 expression and in turn increased the chondrogenic phenotype expression of ..
- AIM HIGH: Niacin Plus Statin to Prevent Vascular EventsJEFFREY LYNN PROBSTFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..controlled clinical trial designed to test whether the drug combination extended release niacin plus simvastatin is superior to simvastatin alone, at comparable levels of in-treatment LDLcholesterol (LDL-C), for delaying the ..
- Are the suppressors of cytokine signaling involved in Alzheimer's disease?DOUGLAS GORDON WALKER; Fiscal Year: 2011..This property has been shown for simvastatin, the agent widely used to treat hypercholesterolemia...
- Statin Effects on Beta-Amyloid and Cerebral Perfusion in Adults at Risk for ADCynthia M Carlsson; Fiscal Year: 2013..we propose an 18-month randomized, controlled, double-blind pilot clinical trial evaluating the effects of simvastatin 40 mg daily on CSF A2 levels and cerebral perfusion in asymptomatic adults at high risk for AD due to their ..
- The Effect of Statin on Diabetes-Associated Peridontal DiseaseYan Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also found that simvastatin effectively suppresses high glucose-boosted, LPS-induce expression of inflammatory cytokines and MMPs...
- Effect of CoQ10 on Mild-to-Moderate Muscle Symptoms of Statin Users.Catherine Buettner; Fiscal Year: 2013..of muscle pain with statin use, 100 patients who have confirmed active muscle symptoms on rechallenge with simvastatin 40 mg/day during a run-in phase of up to 3 months will be randomized to a standardized 600 mg CoQ10 supplement (..
- Integrin Beta 4 in Vascular Inflammatory ResponsesJeffrey R Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We previously identified the protective effects of simvastatin, an HMG CoA-reductase inhibitor, in a murine model of ALI and defined potent anti-inflammatory effects of ..
- Neuroprotective therapy of stroke with HUCNC and simvastatinJieli Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our preliminary data show that the combination of sub-therapeutic doses of simvastatin with HUCBCs increases exogenously administered cell migration into the ischemic brain, and additively improves ..
- Effects of Niacin on Lp(a), Oxidized LDL, and inflammation in the AIM-HIGH trialDANIEL JAMES RADER; Fiscal Year: 2013..will test whether combined dyslipidemic therapy (to raise HDL-C and lower both triglycerides and LDL-C) with simvastatin plus extended- release niacin (niacin) will reduce cardiovascular events more than LDL-lowering alone with ..
- TSC signaling and pulmonary LAMVera P Krymskaya; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, inhibition of both mTORC1 and mTORC2 signaling with rapamycin and with simvastatin, respectively, inhibits TSC-null tumor growth and airspace enlargement...
- Plaque Inflammation and Dysfunctional HDL in AIM-HIGHKEVIN DOUGLAS O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this context, the AIM-HIGH cohort represents a unique opportunity to investigate the relative effects of simvastatin or simvastatin+niacin on specific inflammatory changes in atherosclerotic plaques...
- PPAR-gamma as a therapeutic target after TBIRaghu Vemuganti; Fiscal Year: 2010..the window of benefit of rosiglitazone treatment following TBI can be enhanced by co-treating the animals with simvastatin. As both these compounds are FDA-approved, if proven beneficial, the combination can be quickly translated into ..
- Mapping the Evolution of a Novel Enzyme by Experiment and ComputationTodd O Yeates; Fiscal Year: 2013..whose activity has been newly evolved in the laboratory towards the synthesis of the cholesterol lowering drug simvastatin: 1) Structural analysis of mutants in the directed- evolutionary pathway of a LovD enzyme carrying out a new ..
- Lipogenic inhibitors in prevention of oncogene induced liver cancerXin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..we will determine the chemoprevention activity of lipogenic pathway inhibitors including C-75 (FASN inhibitor), simvastatin (MHGCR inhibitor) and Fatostatin (SREBP1/2 inhibitor) in c-Myc induced mouse HCC...
- Rock Inhibition as Therapy for Cerebral Cavernous MalformationDouglas A Marchuk; Fiscal Year: 2013..This hyperpermeability can be reversed by the ROCK inhibitor, fasudil, or by simvastatin which also impacts this same pathway...
- DOES ATHEROSCLEROSIS REGRESS WITH THERAPY FOR LOW HDLC?Bruce Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000..o.) to double-blinded therapy, assigned in a factorial design: 1) mid-dose niacin (500 mg qid), plus simvastatin (20 mg qd); 2) an antioxidant cocktail (vitamin C (500 mg bid), E (400 IU bid), and Beta-carotene (12...
- Metabolomics Network for Drug Response PhenotypeRIMA F KADDURAH DAOUK; Fiscal Year: 2010..drug response phenotype, using representatives of two important drug classes, an HMG CoA reductase inhibitor (simvastatin) and a specific serotonin reuptake inhibitor (escitalopram)...
- Improved actions of nitrates and statins with L-arginineRuth Caldwell; Fiscal Year: 2003..failure using nitroglycerin (GTN) or isosorbide mononitrate (ISMN) and 2) statin therapy [pravastatin (PRA) or simvastatin (SIM)] for unstable angina and stroke, by their combination with L-arginine (L-arginine)...
- Inhibition of ROCK to reverse T cell dysfunction in SLEJane E Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2013..Specifically, we will: 1) Assess whether simvastatin inhibits ROCK2 activation in T cells from SLE patients in vitro and whether it can synergize with Fasudil, a ..
- Novel Osteoinductive Protein Synthesizing Implant SystemKyumin Whang; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. lovastatin, simvastatin). However, their use in bone formation is limited due to a lack of suitable delivery vehicles...
- Ethyl Nitrite and Subarachnoid HemorrhageHuaxin Sheng; Fiscal Year: 2009..We also will explore potential beneficial interactions between ethyl nitrite and simvastatin. In pilot experiments 20 ppm ethyl nitrite significantly increased SNO-Hb and reduced neurological deficit and ..
- Statins for Alzheimer's disease immunotherapyKen Ichiro Fukuchi; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will evaluate the efficacy and safety of combined treatment of DNA prime-adenovirus boost immunization with simvastatin in AD model mice...
- Pathobiology of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors in diabetesYashpal Kanwar; Fiscal Year: 2006..We therefore propose to examine the modulatory effects of simvastatin, a hydrophobic HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, on a novel signaling pathway activated by Ang II...
- MECHANISMS OF RENAL IMPAIRMENT IN HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIALilach Lerman; Fiscal Year: 2003..3 studies will test reversibility by normalization of lipid diet or treatment with a cholesterol-lowering drug (simvastatin, an HMG-COA reductase inhbitor,)...
- IN VIVO MECHANISMS OF LOCAL STATIN-INDUCED BONERichard Reinhardt; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Simvastatin is a promising candidate, but causes soft tissue inflammation...
- Effects of Statins on AD beyond Cholesterol and AmyloidLing Li; Fiscal Year: 2006..In a preliminary study using a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease, however, a commonly used statin drug (simvastatin) enhances learning and memory independent of amyloid reduction...
- Role of TRP Channels in Statin Reversal of Nephropathy in Early Stage Type 2 DMSTEVEN SANSOM; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, the HMG-CoA inhibitor and cholesterol-lowering agent, simvastatin (SMV), which increases eNOS by preventing the gerenylation of Rho, reversed these early lesions and ..
- THE EFFECT OF HMG COA REDUCTASE INHIBITORS ON CBFCOLIN DERDEYN; Fiscal Year: 2002..carotid artery occlusion (n=40) will be entered in a randomized, controlled , double-blinded study of simvastatin therapy (40 mg per day) versus placebo for 30 days...
- Postprandial Lipemia and Endothelial Function In ACCORDHenry Ginsberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..therapies will be carried out in the Lipid Arm of ACCORD, in which the 5,800 subjects will all be treated with simvastatin and, in addition, be randomly assigned to receive either fenofibrate or placebo...
- PROBING DRUG RELATED MENTAL DISORDERS OF AGINGIra Katz; Fiscal Year: 2003..Study II will compare 14 weeks of simvastatin (up to 20 mg/day) with placebo. Analyses will include modeling using random regression models...
- Clinical importance of the drug interaction between statins and SYP3A inhibitorsBRIAN STROM; Fiscal Year: 2009..of myopathy and acute kidney injury following concomitant use of a CYP3A4 substrate statin [atorvastatin or simvastatin] and a CYP3A4 inhibitor to the incidence of myopathy and acute kidney injury following concomitant use of a non-..
- CLINICAL STUDIES IN NUTRITION AND METABOLISMIshwarlal Jialal; Fiscal Year: 2009..with Coronary artery disease;2) Monocyte Function and Inflammation in Type 1 Diabetes and its Modulation with Simvastatin therapy;3) The Effect of Simvastatin Therapy on Monocytic Inflammatory Markers and hsCRP Levels in Patients ..
- Collagen Gene Expression and AtherosclerosisBarbara Smith; Fiscal Year: 2003..An HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, simvastatin, blocks IFNy-induced activation of MHC-II by inhibiting synthesis of CIITA...
- CASE CONTROL STUDY OF STATIN USE AND LARGE BOWEL CANCERPatricia Coogan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The statins (e.g., lovastatin, simvastatin) were first marketed in 1987, and are now among the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States...
- Biochemical and Structural Studies of A Novel Simvastatin SynthaseYi Tang; Fiscal Year: 2009..structural biology group, we will harvest this potential towards the one-step synthesis of the blockbuster drug simvastatin (Zocor.)...
- Endothelial Barrier Regulation by SimvastatinJeffrey Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Accordingly, we have hypothesized that via complex effects on endothelial cells (EC), simvastatin induces barrier protection and offers a novel therapeutic strategy for acute lung injury (ALI) and ventilator-..
- Pharmacogenomics and Risk of Cardiovascular DiseaseRonald Krauss; Fiscal Year: 2009..Initial analyses in 1,000 Caucasian subjects from trials of simvastatin or pravastatin will be based on a panel of 250,000 genome-wide SNPs (Aim 1)...
- EFFECTS OF ANABOLIC AGENTS ON HEALING OF BONE DEFECTSDi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2000Our goal in this project is to examine the effects of local applications of the statin simvastatin for its capacity to enhance bone formation in a defect model of bone regeneration and in a model of fracture repair...
- Functional Interactions of Mu and Delta Opioid ReceptorsERICA LEVITT; Fiscal Year: 2009..antinociception, tolerance and dependence in mice treated with the clinically-used cholesterol-lowering agent simvastatin. The effect of cholesterol-lowering on opioid signaling will provide insight into the mechanism behind the ..
- Statins and Macrophage Immune FunctionsElizabeth Gold; Fiscal Year: 2007..The purpose of this proposal is to analyze the effect of the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor simvastatin on the immune function of macrophages...
- Non lipid-lowering statin effects mediated by PI3KSusan McDowell; Fiscal Year: 2005..the stimulation of a PI3K isoform or subset of isoforms leads to distinct cell-signaling events in response to simvastatin that are independent of lipid-lowering...