Genomes and Genes
Summary: A synthetic TETRACYCLINE derivative with similar antimicrobial activity. Animal studies suggest that it may cause less tooth staining than other tetracyclines. It is used in some areas for the treatment of chloroquine-resistant falciparum malaria (MALARIA, FALCIPARUM).
Publications353 found, 100 shown here
- MelioidosisN J White
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, 10400, Bangkok, Thailand
Lancet 361:1715-22. 2003..Maintenance antibiotic treatment is with a four-drug regimen of chloramphenicol, doxycycline, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, or with amoxicillin-clavulanate in children and pregnant women...
- Control of memory formation through regulated expression of a CaMKII transgeneM Mayford
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 722 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Science 274:1678-83. 1996..Thus, the CaMKII signaling pathway is critical for both explicit and implicit memory storage, in a manner that is independent of its potential role in development...
- Wolbachia bacterial endosymbionts of filarial nematodesMark J Taylor
Filariasis Research Laboratory, Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
Adv Parasitol 60:245-84. 2005....
- Doxycycline ameliorates vascular endothelial and contractile dysfunction in the thoracic aorta of diabetic ratsEsma N Zeydanli
Department of Biophysics, Ankara University, Turkey
Cardiovasc Toxicol 11:134-47. 2011..oxidative stress and prevented with antioxidants, herein, we aimed to test a hypothesis whether a low-dose doxycycline treatment of diabetic rats for 4 weeks can ameliorate endothelial vascular dysfunction of thoracic aortas...
- Tetracycline-inducible gene expression and gene deletion in Candida albicansYang Nim Park
Institut für Molekulare Infektionsbiologie, Universitat Wurzburg, Rontgenring 11, D 97070 Wurzburg, Germany
Eukaryot Cell 4:1328-42. 2005..Fluorescence of the cells demonstrated that gene expression could be efficiently induced by the addition of doxycycline in yeast, hyphal, and opaque cells of C. albicans...
- Generation of a doxycycline-inducible KSHV producer cell line of endothelial origin: maintenance of tight latency with efficient reactivation upon inductionJinjong Myoung
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Departments of Microbiology and Medicine and GW Hooper Foundation, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Virol Methods 174:12-21. 2011..tight control of KSHV latency, with little spontaneous reactivation and (ii) are efficiently inducible by doxycycline, avoiding the need for pleiotropic inducing agents...
- Systematic comparison of constitutive promoters and the doxycycline-inducible promoterJane Yuxia Qin
School of Life Sciences, Northeast Normal University, Changchun, China
PLoS ONE 5:e10611. 2010..included in the comparison the TRE promoter, which can be activated by the rtTA transcriptional activator in a doxycycline-inducible manner...
- Activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase is essential for mitochondrial membrane potential change and apoptosis induced by doxycycline in melanoma cellsJiunn Min Shieh
Department of Internal Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
Br J Pharmacol 160:1171-84. 2010..Tetracyclines were recently found to induce tumour cell death, but the early processes involved in this cytotoxic effect remain unclear...
- Plasmodium falciparum proteome changes in response to doxycycline treatmentSebastien Briolant
Unité de Recherche en Biologie et Epidémiologie Parasitaires, Institut de Recherche Biomédicale des Armées, antenne de Marseille, BP 60109, 13262 Marseille cedex 07, France
Malar J 9:141. 2010..Among them, doxycycline is used alone for malaria chemoprophylaxis or in combination with quinine or artemisinin derivatives for ..
- Corticosteroid and doxycycline suppress MMP-9 and inflammatory cytokine expression, MAPK activation in the corneal epithelium in experimental dry eyeCintia S de Paiva
Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin Street, NC 205, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Exp Eye Res 83:526-35. 2006We investigated the effects of corticosteroid and doxycycline on expression of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9 and inflammatory cytokines and activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signaling pathways, c-jun N-terminal ..
- EFNS guidelines on the diagnosis and management of European Lyme neuroborreliosisA Mygland
Department of Neurology, Sorlandet Sykehus, Kristiansand, Norway
Eur J Neurol 17:8-16, e1-4. 2010..Lyme neuroborreliosis (LNB) is a nervous system infection caused by Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato (Bb)...
- Conditional and inducible transgene expression in mice through the combinatorial use of Cre-mediated recombination and tetracycline inductionGusztav Belteki
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Nucleic Acids Res 33:e51. 2005..The presented approach abrogates the need to generate tissue-specific rtTA transgenes for tissues where well-characterized Cre lines already exist...
- Long term impact of large scale community-directed delivery of doxycycline for the treatment of onchocerciasisFrancesca Tamarozzi
Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool L3 5QA, UK
Parasit Vectors 5:53. 2012Anti-Wolbachia treatment with doxycycline is effective in sterilising and killing adult Onchocerca volvulus nematodes, proving superior to ivermectin and of great potential as an alternative approach for the treatment and control of ..
- Subantimicrobial dose doxycycline efficacy as a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor in chronic periodontitis patients is enhanced when combined with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugHsi Ming Lee
Department of Oral Biology and Pathology, School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Periodontol 75:453-63. 2004Administration of subantimicrobial dose doxycycline (SDD) to chronic periodontitis (CP) patients has repeatedly been found to reduce mammalian collagenase and other matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) activity in gingival tissues and ..
- Doxycycline treatment attenuates acute lung injury in mice infected with virulent influenza H3N2 virus: involvement of matrix metalloproteinasesH H Ng
Infectious Diseases Program, Department of Microbiology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge, Singapore
Exp Mol Pathol 92:287-95. 2012..In this study, we investigated the effects of doxycycline (DOX), an inhibitor of MMPs, on influenza-induced ALI...
- Doxycycline plus tauroursodeoxycholic acid for transthyretin amyloidosis: a phase II studyLaura Obici
Amyloid Research and Treatment Center, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, and Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Amyloid 19:34-6. 2012..a phase II, open-label study to evaluate the efficacy, tolerability, safety, and pharmacokinetics of orally doxycycline (100 mg BID) and tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) (250 mg three times/day) administered continuously for 12 ..
- Inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-9 activity by doxycycline ameliorates RANK ligand-induced osteoclast differentiation in vitro and in vivoGilson C N Franco
Department of Immunology, Forsyth Institute, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Exp Cell Res 317:1454-64. 2011..These findings suggested that Dox inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclastogenesis by its inhibitory effect on MMP-9 enzyme activity independent of the MAPK-NFATc1 signaling cascade...
- Doxycycline regulated induction of AKT in murine prostate drives proliferation independently of p27 cyclin dependent kinase inhibitor downregulationHongyun Wang
Hematology Oncology Division, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e41330. 2012..prostate specific reverse tetracycline transactivator (ARR2Pb-rtTA) were generated and used to achieve doxycycline inducible expression of a tetracycline operon regulated constitutively active myristoylated AKT1 transgene (..
- The etiology of community-acquired pneumonia in Australia: why penicillin plus doxycycline or a macrolide is the most appropriate therapyPatrick G P Charles
Department of Infectious Diseases, Austin Health, Heidelberg, Vic, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 46:1513-21. 2008..Local treatment guidelines promote the use of combination therapy with agents such as penicillin or amoxycillin combined with either doxycycline or a macrolide.
- Comparison of doxycycline and minocycline in the inhibition of VEGF-induced smooth muscle cell migrationJianhua S Yao
Center for Cerebrovascular Research, Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California San Francisco, 1001 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Neurochem Int 50:524-30. 2007..In this study, we examined the effects of doxycycline and minocycline on vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-induced human aortic smooth muscle cell (HASMCs) ..
- Doxycycline, a matrix metalloprotease inhibitor, reduces vascular remodeling and damage after cerebral ischemia in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsPaulo W Pires
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, B346 Life Sciences Bldg, Michigan State Univ, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 301:H87-97. 2011..Thus we hypothesized that inhibition of MMP activity with doxycycline (DOX) would attenuate vascular remodeling...
- Antibiotic susceptibility of Burkholderia pseudomallei from tropical northern Australia and implications for therapy of melioidosisA W Jenney
Infectious Diseases Unit, Royal Darwin Hospital, Darwin, NT 0810, Australia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 17:109-13. 2001..163 (96%) were susceptible to meropenem/imipenem, ceftazidime, trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole (SMX/TMP) and doxycycline. Seven (4%) showed primary resistance; three had low-level resistance to SMX/TMP, one to ceftriaxone and ..
- Doxycycline in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms and in mice: comparison of serum levels and effect on aneurysm growth in miceAmy K Prall
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68114, USA
J Vasc Surg 35:923-9. 2002b>Doxycycline has been shown to inhibit aneurysm formation in a rodent model of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). The doses necessary for this inhibition (6 mg/kg) are much higher than the standard antibiotic doses (1 to 1...
- Doxycycline attenuates and delays toxicity of the oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy mutation in transgenic miceJanet E Davies
Department of Medical Genetics, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Wellcome MRC Building, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, UK
Nat Med 11:672-7. 2005..The onset and severity of these abnormalities were substantially delayed and attenuated by doxycycline treatment, which may exert its therapeutic effect by reducing aggregates and by distinct antiapoptotic ..
- Demonstration of in vivo transfer of doxycycline resistance mediated by a novel transposonPhilip J Warburton
King s College London Dental Institute at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, Infection Research Group, Guy s Campus, London SE1 9RT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:973-80. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate the transfer of bacterial doxycycline resistance between oral bacteria in subjects receiving systemic doxycycline for the treatment of periodontitis.
- Conditional suppression of cellular genes: lentivirus vector-mediated drug-inducible RNA interferenceMaciej Wiznerowicz
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, CMU, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Virol 77:8957-61. 2003..vector background, we subjected the polymerase III promoter-dependent production of small interfering RNAs to doxycycline-controllable transcriptional repression...
- Stringent doxycycline-dependent control of gene activities using an episomal one-vector systemGeorg W Bornkamm
GSF Institut für Klinische Molekularbiologie und Tumorgenetik, Marchioninistrasse 25, D 81377 Munchen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 33:e137. 2005..The vector is characterized by (i) low background activity, (ii) high inducibility in the presence of doxycycline (Dox) and (iii) graded response to increasing concentrations of the inducer...
- Targeted gene disruption of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (gelatinase B) suppresses development of experimental abdominal aortic aneurysmsR Pyo
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Wohl Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 105:1641-9. 2000..Elastase-induced aneurysmal degeneration was suppressed by treatment with a nonselective MMP inhibitor (doxycycline) and by targeted gene disruption of MMP-9, but not by isolated deficiency of MMP-12...
- In vivo serial assessment of aortic aneurysm formation in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice via MRIGregory H Turner
Cardiovascular and Urogenital Center of Excellence for Drug Discovery, GlaxoSmithKline, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 1:220-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine the use of MRI for studying AAA development and for examining the effects of pharmacological intervention on AAA development in the apolipoprotein E-deficient mouse...
- Antibiotics for prophylaxis of Plasmodium falciparum infections: in vitro activity of doxycycline against Senegalese isolatesB Pradines
, , Marseille, France
Am J Trop Med Hyg 62:82-5. 2000The in vitro activities of doxycycline, chloroquine, quinine, amodiaquine, artemether, pyrimethamine, and cycloguanil were evaluated against Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Senegal (Dielmo and Ndiop), using an isotopic, micro, drug ..
- Doxycycline for malaria chemoprophylaxis and treatment: report from the CDC expert meeting on malaria chemoprophylaxisKathrine R Tan
Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4770 Buford Hwy, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:517-31. 2011b>Doxycycline, a synthetically derived tetracycline, is a partially efficacious causal prophylactic (liver stage of Plasmodium) drug and a slow acting blood schizontocidal agent highly effective for the prevention of malaria...
- Simple and efficient method for generation of induced pluripotent stem cells using piggyBac transposition of doxycycline-inducible factors and an EOS reporter systemTomoyuki Tsukiyama
Laboratory of Reproductive Biology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwake cho, Sakyo ku, Japan
Genes Cells 16:815-25. 2011..containing an EOS (early transposon promoter and Oct3/4 and Sox2 enhancers) reporter and modified polycistronic doxycycline (Dox)-inducible factors, we reprogrammed mouse somatic cells with an efficiency higher than is usually obtained ..
- Matrix metalloproteinases: targets for doxycycline to prevent the vascular alterations of hypertensionMichele M Castro
Department of Pharmacology, Cardiovascular Research Centre, 4 62 Heritage Medical Research Centre, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Pharmacol Res 64:567-72. 2011..We then discuss the effects of MMP inhibitors, especially doxycycline, on the vascular changes associated with hypertension...
- Efficacy of a doxycycline treatment regimen initiated during three different phases of experimental ehrlichiosisJennifer C McClure
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Missouri, 210 Connaway Hall, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:5012-20. 2010b>Doxycycline is the treatment of choice for canine monocytic ehrlichiosis (CME), a well-characterized disease and valuable model for tick-borne zoonoses...
- Inducible expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in adult mice causes severe proliferative retinopathy and retinal detachmentKyoko Ohno-Matsui
Department of Ophthalmology and Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287 9277, USA
Am J Pathol 160:711-9. 2002..In the absence of doxycycline, adult double-transgenic rho/rtTA-TRE/VEGF or IRBP/rtTA-TRE/VEGF mice showed little VEGF transgene expression ..
- Insulators coupled to a minimal bidirectional tet cassette for tight regulation of rAAV-mediated gene transfer in the mammalian brainH L Fitzsimons
Division of Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, New Zealand
Gene Ther 8:1675-81. 2001..The doxycycline responsive system directs a dose-responsive, tightly regulated level of gene expression and has been used ..
- Doxycycline hydrogels with reversible disulfide crosslinks for dermal wound healing of mustard injuriesSivaNaga S Anumolu
Department of Pharmaceutics, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8022, USA
Biomaterials 32:1204-17. 2011b>Doxycycline hydrogels containing reversible disulfide crosslinks were investigated for a dermal wound healing application...
- Testing the therapeutic potential of doxycycline in a Drosophila melanogaster model of Alzheimer diseaseRita Costa
Molecular Neurobiology Unit, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
J Biol Chem 286:41647-55. 2011..In this context we have studied doxycycline, a member of the tetracycline family of antibiotics that has shown neuroprotective effects in a number of ..
- Development of an all-in-one lentiviral vector system based on the original TetR for the easy generation of Tet-ON cell linesKarim Benabdellah
Andalusian Stem Cell Bank, Centro de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad de Granada, Parque Tecnologico Ciencias de la Salud, Granada, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e23734. 2011..A new doxycycline-regulated system based on the original TetR repressor was developed in 1998 as an alternative to the TetR-VP16 ..
- Activities of clindamycin, daptomycin, doxycycline, linezolid, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, and vancomycin against community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with inducible clindamycin resistance in murine thigh infection and in viKerry L LaPlante
Anti Infective Research Laboratory, Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2156-62. 2008..Against the clindamycin noninducible strain, clindamycin and doxycycline demonstrated significant kill...
- Long-term doxycycline is more effective than atenolol to prevent thoracic aortic aneurysm in marfan syndrome through the inhibition of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9Ada W Y Chung
Child and Family Research Institute, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Circ Res 102:e73-85. 2008..We hypothesized that doxycycline, a nonspecific inhibitor of MMPs, would ameliorate TAA by attenuating elastic fiber degeneration and improving ..
- Doxycycline improves filarial lymphedema independent of active filarial infection: a randomized controlled trialSabine Mand
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Clin Infect Dis 55:621-30. 2012The aim of this study was to determine whether improvement of filarial lymphedema (LE) by doxycycline is restricted to patients with ongoing infection (positive for circulating filarial antigen [CFA]), or whether the majority of CFA-..
- Standard treatment regimens for nongonococcal urethritis have similar but declining cure rates: a randomized controlled trialLisa E Manhart
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 56:934-42. 2013Azithromycin or doxycycline is recommended for nongonococcal urethritis (NGU); recent evidence suggests their efficacy has declined...
- Treatment of erythema migrans with doxycycline for 10 days versus 15 daysDaša Stupica
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Slovenia
Clin Infect Dis 55:343-50. 2012The efficacy of 10-day doxycycline treatment in patients with erythema migrans has been assessed in the United States but not in Europe. Experts disagree on the significance of post-Lyme borreliosis symptoms.
- A novel histone deacetylase inhibitor reduces abdominal aortic aneurysm formation in angiotensin II-infused apolipoprotein E-deficient miceAntony Vinh
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
J Vasc Res 45:143-52. 2008....
- Inhibition of proteolytic, serpinolytic, and progelatinase-b activation activities of periodontopathogens by doxycycline and the non-antimicrobial chemically modified tetracycline derivativesD Grenier
Groupe de Recherche en Ecologie Buccale, Faculte de Medecine Dentaire, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Periodontol 73:79-85. 2002Tetracyclines, particularly doxycycline (Doxy), and their non-antimicrobial chemically-modified derivatives (CMTs) inhibit the activities of human matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs), and reduce the severity and progression of periodontal ..
- Subjective symptoms after treatment of early Lyme diseaseDasa Cerar
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Slovenia
Am J Med 123:79-86. 2010..Controversy exists over the significance and even the existence of post-Lyme disease symptoms because of the high rate of similar background symptoms in the general population...
- The pharmacokinetic profile of a biodegradable controlled-release delivery system containing doxycycline compared to systemically delivered doxycycline in gingival crevicular fluid, saliva, and serumN H Stoller
Department of Surgical Dentistry, University of Colorado School of Dentistry, Denver 80262, USA
J Periodontol 69:1085-91. 1998The primary goal of this study was to characterize the release profile of doxycycline hyclate (8.5% w/w) from a biodegradable controlled-release delivery system (DH) placed in periodontal pockets...
- Continuous periaortic infusion improves doxycycline efficacy in experimental aortic aneurysmsEiketsu Sho
Division of Vascular Surgery, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Vasc Surg 39:1312-21. 2004We created a novel continuous infusion system to evaluate the efficacy of juxta-aortic doxycycline delivery as a transitional step toward developing hybrid drug/device treatment strategies for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) disease.
- Doxycycline inhibits proinflammatory cytokines but not acute cerebral cytogenesis after hypoxia-ischemia in neonatal ratsLauren L Jantzie
Neurochemical Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada
J Psychiatry Neurosci 35:20-32. 2010..Although very few treatment options are currently available, doxycycline (DOXY) has been reported to be neuroprotective in neontatal HI...
- A randomized study comparing levofloxacin, omeprazole, nitazoxanide, and doxycycline versus triple therapy for the eradication of Helicobacter pyloriP Patrick Basu
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Liver Transplant, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:1970-5. 2011..This study was designed to evaluate a novel four-drug regimen (three antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor (PPI)) for eradication of HP infection in treatment-naive patients...
- Doxycycline treatment in a model of early abdominal aortic aneurysmKeiko Kaito
Department of General and Cardiothoracic Surgery, Kanazawa University School of Medicine, 13 1 Takara machi, Kanazawa 920 8641, Japan
Surg Today 33:426-33. 2003To evaluate the effects doxycycline (Dox) in animal models of early abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Localized administration of doxycycline suppresses aortic dilatation in an experimental mouse model of abdominal aortic aneurysmMichel A Bartoli
Department of Surgery, Section of Vascular Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:228-36. 2006Treatment with doxycycline suppresses the development of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) in experimental animal models, but its use in humans can be accompanied by dose-related side effects...
- Effectiveness of inpatient and outpatient treatment strategies for women with pelvic inflammatory disease: results from the Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Evaluation and Clinical Health (PEACH) Randomized TrialRoberta B Ness
University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health, PA 15261, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 186:929-37. 2002..Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is a common and morbid intraperitoneal infection. Although most women with pelvic inflammatory disease are treated as outpatients, the effectiveness of this strategy remains unproven...
- A randomized comparison of azithromycin and doxycycline for the treatment of Mycoplasma genitalium-positive urethritis in menLeandro A Mena
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Div of Infectious Diseases, 2500 N State St, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:1649-54. 2009..The present study compared the efficacy of 1 g of azithromycin given as a single dose with that of 100 mg of doxycycline given twice a day for 7 days in eliminating M. genitalium infection.
- Medical management of small abdominal aortic aneurysmsB Timothy Baxter
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Circulation 117:1883-9. 2008..Level B evidence (from small randomized trials) suggests that roxithromycin or doxycycline will decrease the rate of aneurysm expansion...
- Two controlled trials of antibiotic treatment in patients with persistent symptoms and a history of Lyme diseaseM S Klempner
New England Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 345:85-92. 2001..It is controversial whether prolonged antibiotic treatment is effective for patients in whom symptoms persist after the recommended antibiotic treatment for acute Lyme disease...
- Stimulation of matrix metalloproteinases by hyperosmolarity via a JNK pathway in human corneal epithelial cellsDe Quan Li
Ocular Surface Center, Cullen Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6565 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:4302-11. 2004....
- Azithromycin versus doxycycline for genital chlamydial infections: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trialsChuen Yen Lau
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Sex Transm Dis 29:497-502. 2002Azithromycin and doxycycline are recommended for treatment of genital Chlamydia trachomatis infection. A systematic review comparing these antibiotics could affect treatment guidelines.
- Risks factors and prevention of Q fever endocarditisF Fenollar
, Centre Nationale de Recherche Scientifique, , , 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
Clin Infect Dis 33:312-6. 2001..A combination of doxycycline plus hydroxychloroquine was better at preventing the development of endocarditis than doxycycline alone (P=...
- Reproducible doxycycline-inducible transgene expression at specific loci generated by Cre-recombinase mediated cassette exchangeEe Tsin Wong
Division of Biological Sciences, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:e147. 2005..This system described should find significant applications for studies requiring high level and regulated transgene expression and for determining the effects of various stresses or oncogenic conditions in vivo and in vitro...
- Reversible tumorigenesis by MYC in hematopoietic lineagesD W Felsher
Department of Medicine, G W Hooper Foundation, San Francisco, California, USA
Mol Cell 4:199-207. 1999..We conclude that even though tumorigenesis is a multistep process, remediation of a single genetic lesion may be sufficient to reverse malignancy...
- Prolonged administration of doxycycline in patients with small asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms: report of a prospective (Phase II) multicenter studyB Timothy Baxter
Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, USA
J Vasc Surg 36:1-12. 2002..of this study was to evaluate compliance, side effects, and safety associated with prolonged administration of doxycycline in patients with small asymptomatic abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs)...
- Mitochondrial genes for heme-dependent respiratory chain complexes are up-regulated after depletion of Wolbachia from filarial nematodesUta Strübing
Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Clinic Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53105 Bonn, Germany
Int J Parasitol 40:1193-202. 2010..Targeting the essential Wolbachia endobacteria of filarial nematodes with doxycycline has proven to be an effective therapy resulting in a block in embryogenesis, worm development and ..
- Synergy of combined doxycycline/TUDCA treatment in lowering Transthyretin deposition and associated biomarkers: studies in FAP mouse modelsIsabel Cardoso
Molecular Neurobiology Unit, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
J Transl Med 8:74. 2010..We had previously shown that doxycycline administered for 3 months at 40 mg/Kg/ml in the drinking water, was capable of removing TTR amyloid deposits ..
- Doxycycline modulates smooth muscle cell growth, migration, and matrix remodeling after arterial injuryMichelle P Bendeck
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 160:1089-95. 2002..implicated in arterial intimal lesion development, the objective of these studies was to examine the effect of doxycycline treatment using a well-characterized model of neointimal thickening, balloon catheter denudation of the rat ..
- Re-evaluating the treatment of nongonococcal urethritis: emphasizing emerging pathogens--a randomized clinical trialJ R Schwebke
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 703 19th St South, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:163-70. 2011..agent, to the treatment regimen would result in higher cure rates than those achieved with treatment with doxycycline or azithromycin alone...
- Oral steroids and doxycycline: two different approaches to treat nasal polypsThibaut Van Zele
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Ghent, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:1069-1076.e4. 2010..There is little scientific evidence to support the current practice of using oral glucocorticosteroids and antibiotics to treat patients with chronic rhinosinusitis and nasal polyps...
- A versatile tool for conditional gene expression and knockdownJolanta Szulc
School of Life Sciences, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Nat Methods 3:109-16. 2006..These results open up promising perspectives for basic or translational research and for the development of gene-based therapeutics...
- Activation of nuclear factor kappa B in mammary epithelium promotes milk loss during mammary development and infectionLinda Connelly
Department of Cancer Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
J Cell Physiol 222:73-81. 2010..We generated a doxycycline inducible transgenic mouse model to activate NF-kappaB specifically in the mammary epithelium through ..
- Normal lung development and function after Sox9 inactivation in the respiratory epitheliumAnne Karina T Perl
Children s Hospital Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Genesis 41:23-32. 2005..and function, Sox9 was specifically inactivated in respiratory epithelial cells of the mouse lung using a doxycycline-inducible Cre/loxP system...
- Inducible expression of coding and inhibitory RNAs from retargetable genomic lociIna Weidenfeld
MPI für Biophysikalische Chemie, Gottingen, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 37:e50. 2009..The potential of this approach for functional genomics is highlighted by utilizing one of our master cell lines for the efficient microRNA-mediated knockdown of the endogenous human lamin A/C gene...
- Long-term outcome of Q fever endocarditis: a 26-year personal surveyMatthieu Million
Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Lancet Infect Dis 10:527-35. 2010..To assess the long-term outcome and identify prognostic factors for mortality, surgical treatment, and serological changes in Q fever endocarditis, we did a retrospective study in the French National Referral Centre...
- Clinical trial of doxycycline for matrix metalloproteinase-9 inhibition in patients with an abdominal aneurysm: doxycycline selectively depletes aortic wall neutrophils and cytotoxic T cellsJan H N Lindeman
Department of Vascular Surgery, K6R, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Circulation 119:2209-16. 2009b>Doxycycline has been shown to effectively inhibit aneurysm formation in animal models of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Although this effect is ascribed to matrix metalloproteinase-9 inhibition, such an effect is unclear in human studies...
- Doxycycline as a novel strategy against bancroftian filariasis-depletion of Wolbachia endosymbionts from Wuchereria bancrofti and stop of microfilaria productionAchim Hoerauf
Department of Helminthology, Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Med Microbiol Immunol 192:211-6. 2003Chemotherapy of onchocerciasis by doxycycline, which targets symbiotic Wolbachia endobacteria, has been shown to result in a long-term sterility of adult female worms and corresponding absence of microfilariae...
- Effects of mouse strain, position of integration and tetracycline analogue on the tetracycline conditional system in transgenic miceAndrea Robertson
Imperial College School of Science, Technology and Medicine, Division of Biomedical Sciences and Clinical Sciences Centre, London, UK
Gene 282:65-74. 2002..Tetracycline was found to be cleared from mice relatively fast in comparison with doxycycline and is thus useful if one wants to switch on gene expression after extended periods of administration...
- A doxycycline loaded, controlled-release, biodegradable fiber for the treatment of aortic aneurysmsA Yamawaki-Ogata
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
Biomaterials 31:9554-64. 2010..b>Doxycycline (DOXY) has been reported to control the extension of AA by regulation of MMP...
- Mycoplasma genitalium: a common cause of persistent urethritis among men treated with doxycyclineA Wikstrom
Karolinska University Hospital, Solna, Karolinska Institutet, Department of Dermatovenereology, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Sex Transm Infect 82:276-9. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the importance of Mycoplasma genitalium in this condition and to monitor the effect of treatment with macrolides...
- Effects of scaling and root planing and subantimicrobial dose doxycycline on gingival crevicular fluid levels of matrix metalloproteinase-8, -13 and serum levels of HsCRP in patients with chronic periodontitisGülay Tüter
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Periodontol 81:1132-9. 2010This study evaluates the efficacy of subantimicrobial dose doxycycline (SDD) in conjunction with scaling and root planing (SRP) on gingival crevicular fluid (GCF) levels of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-8 and -13 and on serum levels of ..
- Efficacy of post exposure administration of doxycycline in a murine model of inhalational melioidosisH Carl Gelhaus
Battelle, Battelle Memorial Institute, Columbus, OH, USA
Sci Rep 3:1146. 2013..establishing a median lethal dose (LD(50)) of 2,772 colony forming units (cfu)/animal, we tested the ability of doxycycline administered 6 hours after exposure to a uniformly lethal dose of ~20 LD(50) to prevent death and eliminate ..
- Doxycycline ameliorates 2K-1C hypertension-induced vascular dysfunction in rats by attenuating oxidative stress and improving nitric oxide bioavailabilityMichele M Castro
Department of Pharmacology, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Nitric Oxide 26:162-8. 2012..b>Doxycycline is considering the most potent MMP inhibitor of tetracyclines and attenuates 2K-1C hypertension-induced high ..
- Absence of association between ex vivo susceptibility to doxycycline and pftetQ and pfmdt copy numbers in Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Dakar, SenegalT Gaillard
Unité de Parasitologie Unité de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales Emergentes UMR 6236, Institut de Recherche Biomédicale des Armées, Marseille, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 18:E238-40. 2012..was to validate the use of pftetQ and pfmdt genes as molecular markers of decreased in vitro susceptibility to doxycycline in 113 Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Dakar, Senegal...
- The effect of subantimicrobial-dose-doxycycline periodontal therapy on serum biomarkers of systemic inflammation: a randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled clinical trialJeffrey B Payne
Department of Surgical Specialties, College of Dentistry, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Lincoln, Neb 68583 0740, USA
J Am Dent Assoc 142:262-73. 2011..Periodontitis has been reported to be associated with coronary artery disease (CAD). Research is needed to determine if therapies that improve periodontal health also reduce systemic measures of inflammation associated with both diseases...
- Doxycycline reduces fibril formation in a transgenic mouse model of AL amyloidosisJennifer Ellis Ward
Amyloid Treatment and Research Program, and Department of Medicine, Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Blood 118:6610-7. 2011..Amyloid deposition was inhibited in vivo by the antibiotic doxycycline. In vitro studies demonstrated that doxycycline directly disrupted the formation of recombinant LC fibrils...
- Different levels of p53 induced either apoptosis or cell cycle arrest in a doxycycline-regulated hepatocellular carcinoma cell line in vitroPaul B S Lai
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
Apoptosis 12:387-93. 2007..the effect of various levels of expression of p53 gene on a p53-deficient HCC cell line, Hep3B, utilizing a doxycycline (Dox)-regulated inducible p53 expression system...
- A facile lentiviral vector system for expression of doxycycline-inducible shRNAs: knockdown of the pre-miRNA processing enzyme DroshaLars Aagaard
Division of Molecular Biology, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Mol Ther 15:938-45. 2007..lentiviral vector that upon delivery to target cells allows robust induction of shRNAs, even with low levels of doxycycline; importantly, we show minimal leakiness in the absence of inducer...
- In vivo optical molecular imaging of matrix metalloproteinase activity in abdominal aortic aneurysms correlates with treatment effects on growth rateRahul A Sheth
Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit St, White 427, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Atherosclerosis 212:181-7. 2010..We use an in vivo optical molecular imaging approach to quantify protease activity within the walls of AAAs in a rodent model...
- Effects of doxycycline on gene expression in Wolbachia and Brugia malayi adult female worms in vivoRamakrishna U Rao
Infectious Diseases Division, Department of Internal Medicine, St, Louis, Missouri, USA
J Biomed Sci 19:21. 2012Most filarial nematodes contain Wolbachia symbionts. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of doxycycline on gene expression in Wolbachia and adult female Brugia malayi.
- Doxycycline induces expression of P glycoprotein in MCF-7 breast carcinoma cellsKatrina L Mealey
Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Texas A and M University College of Veterinary Medicine, College Station, Texas 77843 4466, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:755-61. 2002..from MCF-7 cells that were treated in culture with doxorubicin (positive control) and the antimicrobial drugs doxycycline, piperacillin, and cefoperazone...
- Rapid effectiveness of minocycline or doxycycline against macrolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in a 2011 outbreak among Japanese childrenTakafumi Okada
Department of Pediatrics, National Hospital Organization Tokyo Medical Center, Kitasato Institute for Life Sciences, Kitasato University, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Infect Dis 55:1642-9. 2012..Outbreaks typically occur at intervals of several years. In 2011, a widespread outbreak was associated with macrolide-resistant M. pneumoniae (MRMP) in Japanese children, often those of school age...
- The antimicrobial effect of MTAD, sodium hypochlorite, doxycycline, and citric acid on Enterococcus faecalisTrisha A Krause
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
J Endod 33:28-30. 2007This study compared the antimicrobial effect of MTAD, two of its components, doxycycline and citric acid, and sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in two in vitro models on Enterococcus faecalis...
- Serological evidence for the continued presence of human rickettsioses in southern IndiaE Mathai
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, Tamil Nadu 632004, India
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 95:395-8. 2001..The epidemiology and magnitude of the problem need to be evaluated...
- Lyme neuroborreliosis in children: a prospective study of clinical features, prognosis, and outcomeBarbro Hedin Skogman
Pediatric Clinic at the University Hospital, Division of Pediatrics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:1089-94. 2008..With a prospective study design we wanted to characterize children with signs and symptoms indicative for NB, investigate clinical outcome and, if possible, identify factors of importance for recovery...
- Doxycycline treatment decreases morbidity and mortality of murine neurocysticercosis: evidence for reduction of apoptosis and matrix metalloproteinase activityJorge I Alvarez
One UTSA Circle, San Antonio, TX 78249, USA
Am J Pathol 175:685-95. 2009..b>Doxycycline is a commonly prescribed antimicrobial drug that acts as an anti-inflammatory agent with broad inhibitory ..
- Validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography method for the determination of oxytetracycline, tetracycline, chlortetracycline and doxycycline in bovine milk and muscleA L Cinquina
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale delle Regioni Lazio e Toscana, Via Appia Nuova 1411, 00178 Rome, Italy
J Chromatogr A 987:227-33. 2003..7-129.9 micro/kg for all compounds in milk and muscle, respectively. The detection capability (CCbeta) was in the range 117.2-131.3 microg/kg and 114.9-133.1 microg/kg for all compounds in milk and muscle, respectively...
- Modified-release subantimicrobial dose doxycycline enhances scaling and root planing in subjects with periodontal diseasePhilip M Preshaw
Department of Periodontology, School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, U K
J Periodontol 79:440-52. 2008Previous studies showed that adjunctive subantimicrobial dose doxycycline (SDD; 20 mg, twice daily) provides significant clinical benefits to scaling and root planing (SRP)...
- The effects of sustained release doxycycline on the anaerobic flora and antibiotic-resistant patterns in subgingival plaque and salivaC B Walker
Periodontal Disease Research Clinics, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
J Periodontol 71:768-74. 2000..5% doxycycline on the anaerobic flora and on antibiotic susceptibility patterns associated with subgingival plaque and saliva.
- Efficacy of rifampicin plus doxycycline versus rifampicin plus quinolone in the treatment of brucellosisNese Saltoglu
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University, Adana, Turkey
Saudi Med J 23:921-4. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy, tolerability and side effects of 2 treatment regimens for brucellosis...
- Effect of doxycycline on proliferation, MMP production, and adhesion in LAM-related cellsWilliam Y C Chang
Division of Therapeutics and Molecular Medicine and Respiratory Biomedical Research Unit, University of Nottingham, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, NG7 2UH United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L393-400. 2010..As doxycycline inhibits MMP activity in vivo, some patients take doxycycline, as one report has suggested a possible benefit ..
- Minocycline and doxycycline therapy in community patients with rheumatoid arthritis: prescribing patterns, patient-level determinants of use, and patient-reported side effectsChristopher J Smith
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 6270, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 13:R168. 2011Minocycline and doxycycline are safe and moderately effective disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) in the treatment of early, DMARD-naïve rheumatoid arthritis (RA), although little is known about their use outside clinical ..
- Tight Long-term dynamic doxycycline responsive nigrostriatal GDNF using a single rAAV vectorFredric P Manfredsson
Department of Neuroscience, Powell Gene Therapy Center, McKnight Brain Institute, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
Mol Ther 17:1857-67. 2009..Regulated GDNF expression was highly sensitive to dietary doxycycline (DOX), displaying undetectable striatal GDNF levels at serum DOX levels below those required for antimicrobial ..
- INSULIN RECEPTORS AND THE GLUCOSE TRANSPORT SYSTEMJERROLD MICHAEL OLEFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also conduct in vivo studies using wild type and mutant FOX01 in a doxycycline inducible transgenic system to assess the effects of FOX01 repression of PPAR3 on overall in vivo insulin ..
- Novel SCID rat models for human cell transplantation studiesJoseph C Ruiz; Fiscal Year: 2010..To achieve this goal, we will assess the feasibility of using doxycycline-inducible systems to conditionally complement the non- immune defects while maintaining the SCID phenotype...
- Pax8-PPARgamma regulation of transcription and metabolism in thyroid cancerRONALD JAY KOENIG; Fiscal Year: 2013..Stably transfected clones of the non-transformed thyroid cell line PCCL3 that express PPFP in a doxycycline-dependent manner (DoxyPPFP cells) will be used to understand the importance of fatty acid metabolism in the ..
- Enhancing radiation and cisplatin HNSCC cell killing by inhibiting mitochondrialLynn Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..In stable HNSCC cell lines will be generated that can be induced with doxycycline to express cKumyc...
- Stat3 Downstream Genes as Lung Adenocarcinoma BiomarkersCong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2013..To assess the consequences of STAT3 persistent activation in the lung, a doxycycline-controlled CCSP-rtTA/(tetO)7-CMV-Stat3C bitransgenic mouse model was generated recently in our laboratory that ..
- Foxf1 Transcription Factor in Development of Pulmonary CapillariesVladimir V Kalinichenko; Fiscal Year: 2013..mice will be increased by either pharmacological approach (TAT-Foxf1 fusion protein) or genetic approach (Doxycycline-inducible over-expression of Foxf1 in endothelial cells)...
- CTGF promotes beta cell proliferation &revascularization in islet transplantsUma Gunasekaran; Fiscal Year: 2011..In the presence of doxycycline, these bigenic mice over-express CTGF in the beta cells...
- Herpesvirus protein kinases: Substrate recognition and pathway targeting.S Diane Hayward; Fiscal Year: 2013..mediated chromatin remodeling by interrogating genome wide CpG methylation of Akata B cell DNA after doxycycline induction of BGLF4 and control kinase dead BGLF4...
- MAMMALIAN POLYAMINE METABOLISMDavid J Feith; Fiscal Year: 2013..control of antizyme (AZ) or S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) expression that is regulated by doxycycline (Dox). Interestingly, both AZ and AdoMetDC-expressing mice exhibit a thin fur phenotype...
- Genetic and Optogenetic Models to Dissect the Role of the Serotonin 1B ReceptorKatherine M Nautiyal; Fiscal Year: 2013..and in situ hybridization reveals promoter-specific 5-HT1B R expression patterns that can be modulated with doxycycline administration...
- The role of NFAT in podocyte damage and proteinuric kidney diseaseALEXIS JOANNA SLOAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..animal model where the transcription factor, NFAT, is constitutively active in the podocyte in the presence of doxycycline. These animals develop profound proteinuria within fours days of doxycycline exposure and display foot process ..
- Bmi-1, a potential therapeutic target in ovarian cancerResham Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Bmi-1 by miR-15a/16 inhibits tumor growth and sensitizes cells to cisplatin in vivo;(iii) Alternatively, doxycycline inducible conditional knockdown of Bmi-1 by shRNA in A-2780 and CP-70 cells will be utilized;(iv) Validate the ..
- The Biosynthesis of AnandamideDale G Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cre recombinase gene that is under the control of a tetracycline operon that can be turned on in the absence of doxycycline. The tetracycline transactivator will be under the control of a neuron-specific enolase promoter so that -/- ..
- miR132 regulation of neuronal plasticity, learning, and memoryKATELIN L F HANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This idea will be tested in experiments which will titer transgenic miR132 (using doxycycline) to parallel the level observed following environmental enrichment, in an attempt to phenocopy cognitive ..
- Mouse model for eyelid disease: Congenital blepharophimosisChia Yang Liu; Fiscal Year: 2013..transgenic mouse strain, namely Kera-rtTA/tetO-Cre/R26floxedN1-ICD (KR/TC/R26fN1- ICD), by pulse induction of doxycycline (Dox) at different developmental stages...
- Mechanisms Underlying the Progression of Arterial Stiffness in HypertensionJay D Humphrey; Fiscal Year: 2013..fibrillin-1 deficient, and fibulin-5 null), each subjected to 3 pharmacological inter- ventions (L-NAME, doxycycline, and BAPN)...
- Role of a pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 protein in the survival and death of leukemia cellsAmeeta Kelekar; Fiscal Year: 2013..in hematopoietic lineage cells, employing the Vav promoter-tetracyline transactivator (Vav-tTA)-driven doxycycline repressible system...
- Small Animal Model of HIV Neuropathogenesis in the HAART EraPietro P Sanna; Fiscal Year: 2012..it will have concomitant expression of multiple proteins of a neurotropic HIV-1 clone, it will be inducible by doxycycline and, lastly, expression of the transgene will be targeted to cells of the microglia/macrophage lineage...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 in tumor progression and metastasisYves A DeClerck; Fiscal Year: 2013..PAI-1 null mice implanted with human tumor cells in which the suppression of PAI-1 expression is controlled by doxycycline. We will also investigate the effect of PAI-1 suppression on tumor initiation in PAI-1 null mice crossed with ..
- Neuron-specific block of T-type calcium channelsEdward Perez-Reyes; Fiscal Year: 2012..accomplished using a newly developed version of the tetracycline repressor, which requires drug for activation (doxycycline-ON). Recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) has emerged as the top choice for human gene therapy...
- Role of an RNA-Binding Protein in Mammary CarcinogenesisJeffrey Ross; Fiscal Year: 2009..investigate this idea, Aim I exploits a mouse model in which mammary- specific CRD-BP expression is induced by doxycycline (dox), a tetracycline analog. Mammary tumors are expected to arise in dox-treated mice...
- A Genetic Model of Perinatal Hippocampal Iron DeficiencyMichael Georgieff; Fiscal Year: 2009..Model 2 uses a doxycycline induced (tetracycline transactivator) dominant-negative (DN) approach to functionally reduce the activity of ..
- NOVEL THERAPEUTICS FOR PRION DISEASESStanley B Prusiner; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies showed a substantial prolongation of the incubation time by doxycycline-mediated inhibition of PrPc expression...
- Stem/progenitor cells of the chondrocyte and osteoblast lineage in vivoNoriaki Ono; Fiscal Year: 2013..A chondrocyte-specific pulse-chase experiment will be performed to identify slowly replicating cells based on a doxycycline-regulatable Tet-off system and a histone 2B-bound EGFP (H2B-EGFP) label...
- The conditional GPR30 knockout mouse: a model of female-specific cardiac agingLeanne Groban; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this pilot research study is two-fold: first, to generate and characterize the cardiomyocyte-specific, doxycycline-inducible GPR30 knockout mouse and second, to determine the molecular, histological, and functional roles of ..
- Modeling the KIF5B-RET Fusion Gene of Lung Cancer in VivoJie Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this study is to generate doxycycline-inducible, lung-specific KIF5B-RET transgenic mice by Cre recombinase-mediated cassette exchange (Cre-RMCE) to ..
- Novel Bacterial Pathogens in Pelvic Inflammatory DiseaseCatherine L Haggerty; Fiscal Year: 2012..between these bacteria and BV;4) assess the treatment response of these infections to cefoxitin and doxycycline;and 5) evaluate the impact of these infections on reproductive morbidity...
- CHLORIDE CHANNELS IN LUNG DEVELOPMENTPamela L Zeitlin; Fiscal Year: 2012..bypass the CFTR defect in an animal model of CF: 2) dissemination and sharing of a novel epithelial-specific, doxycycline-regulated TET-On human ClC-2 mouse model;3) assessment of two novel ClC-2 activators, from Sucampo ..
- Estrogen signaling transgenic mouse modelsRichard R Behringer; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ubiquitous over-expression of ERa in mice led to embryo lethality, limiting studies, whereas doxycycline-inducible over-expression of ERa was useful, but hindered by the small number of tissue-specific tetracycline ..
- Alteration of circadian rhythm and sleep by HIV protein TatJian M Ding; Fiscal Year: 2012..RT-PCR confirmed Tat expression in the SCN following doxycycline diet...
- Role of Par1 Polarity Proteins in Podocyte Development and Glomerular DiseaseKIMBERLY JEAN REIDY; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed experiments will entail doxycycline-inducible, podocyte-specific suppression of Par1a/b function using an in vivo mouse model, which will allow ..
- Myostatin Regulation of Skeletal Muscle Energy MetabolismSUZANNE PORSZASZ-REISZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..a conditional Mst over expressing transgenic (CMOT) mouse in which the transgene can be turned-ON and -OFF by doxycycline at will...
- Pathophysiology of PPARgamma in the lungHong Du; Fiscal Year: 2012..of its dominant negative form (dnPPAR() in alveolar type II epithelial cells or bronchoalveolar macrophages in doxycycline-inducible transgenic mouse system...
- Epigenetic Changes in Retinoid Signaling in Oral Cavity CarcinogenesisKATARZYNA MARIA MARCINKIEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..For Aim 2, I will use tetracycline (doxycycline) regulated vectors for the overexpression/RNAi knockdown experiments...
- Role of mesenchymal stem cells in the blood stem cell nichePaul S Frenette; Fiscal Year: 2012..will study a subset of Nestin+ niche cells expressing the early osteoblast gene Osterix using promoter-driven doxycycline-induced expression...
- A Mouse Model for Dietary Effects on Epigenetic SilencingMitchell S Turker; Fiscal Year: 2010..This mouse model will contain a doxycycline (Dox) repressible promoter linked to the selectable mouse Aprt coding region...
- Aging Features in Mice with Conditional Expression of p16Ink4aGregory H Enders; Fiscal Year: 2013..transgenic mice in which facile conditional expression of p16 is achieved by treatment with the antibiotic doxycycline (Dox). This simple system allows unprecedented control over cell proliferation...
- Macrophage-mediated gene delivery of neurotrophic factors for Parkinson's diseaseSenlin Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..toxin model, we will utilize a tetracycline-regulatable (Tet-on) system and address efficacy of our approach by doxycycline-induced switching on of GDNF expression and delivery in a neurorestorative or neuroprotective / restorative ..
- Gene Therapy for hemophilia using muscle-expressed FVIIaKatherine A High; Fiscal Year: 2011..we will develop a regulated system for cFVIIa expression from muscle via a small, orally bioavailable drug (doxycycline) that will enhance the safety of FVIIa gene transfer (Aim 3)...
- Roles of Growth Factors on Corneal MorphogenesisWinston W Kao; Fiscal Year: 2013..in which floxed Tbr2 and Smad4 genes are ablated specifically in corneal epithelium upon doxycycline induction so that one can determine potential variations in signaling pathways in the absence and presence of ..
- Discovery and Preclinical Development of Drugs for Anthrax, Plague and TularemiaChristie G Brouillette; Fiscal Year: 2010..of anthrax, plague, and tularemia are currently treated with existing antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin and doxycycline. However, antibiotic-resistant strains of the bacterial bioterrorism agents are known, rendering current drugs ..
- Expression of Class I Specific Receptors in NK CellsDavid H Raulet; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the context of a liver tumor system in which tumor suppressor function can be switched on and off with doxycycline. The proposed experiments will lead to a deeper understanding of how disease-associated signals are integrated ..
- Cellular Responses to HypoxiaStella Kourembanas; Fiscal Year: 2012..complete inhibition of hypoxia-induced lung inflammation when HO-1 levels are high in the presence of doxycycline (dox). Despite continued hypoxia, PHtn does not develop...
- Mouse Models to Define Critical Periods and Molecular Targets in FXTASRobert F Berman; Fiscal Year: 2013..carriers (PM) and in Fragile X-associated tremor/ataxia (FXTAS) using CGG knock-in mice (CGGex KI) and doxycycline-inducible dox-CGG99 mice...
- Therapeutic targeting of GSK3beta: A novel approach for podocyte protectionRujun Gong; Fiscal Year: 2013..as podocyte shape changes and the underlying cytockeleton disorganization;Aim 2 will determine the effect of doxycycline inducible podocyte specific GSK3 knockout on adriamycin induced podocytopathy and proteinuria in adult mice...
- Estrogen signaling transgenic mouse modelsRichard R Behringer; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ubiquitous over-expression of ERa in mice led to embryo lethality, limiting studies, whereas doxycycline-inducible over-expression of ERa was useful, but hindered by the small number of tissue-specific tetracycline ..
- Purinergic Mechanisms in Homeostatic Sleep ControlRadhika Basheer; Fiscal Year: 2013..in this mice (astrocyte-selective dominant negative SNARE (dnSNARE))is conditionally regulated with dietary doxycycline. , We will test the hypothesis that SD increases gliotransmission of [ATP]ex in BF...
- Novel antiobiotic development for biodefenseMichael E Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..with current antibiotics, none of these antibiotics is ideal for treatment of these diseases, and only doxycycline is generally indicated for more than one agent (anthrax and plague)...
- MT1-MMP-based Animal Model of Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD)George Inana; Fiscal Year: 2010..Induction of MT1-MMP over-expression by doxycycline administration in the model demonstrated dramatic vacuolar degeneration, proliferation, and migration of RPE, ..
- Developmental role of Neuregulin-1 in subventricular zone stem cell fateHeather El-Amamy; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will result in a global knockdown of Nrg1 when these mice are given Doxycycline. Breeding these transgenic mice with the Nestin-CreERT2/EYFP mice will result in mice that display an inducible ..
- Enhanced Axon Sparing In Glaucoma Through Augmentation Of EphB/ephrin B SignalingDavid W Sretavan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Tet-on strategy in laser treated mice and optic nerve axon survival compared between animals receiving Doxycycline and those that do not...
- Mutant EGF Receptor-Dependent Lung Cancer in Human Cell Lines and Transgenic MiceKATERINA ABIGAIL POLITI; Fiscal Year: 2013..the first three years of this award, we have characterized mouse models of lung adenocarcinoma initiated by doxycycline-inducible transgenes encoding the two common forms of mutant EGFR found in the corresponding type of human ..
- Tissue Factor splicing and pancreatic tumor progression: pilot studiesVLADIMIR BOGDANOV; Fiscal Year: 2013..of elevated asTF expression, we will generate subclones of PDAC cells (over)expressing asTF in response to doxycycline. To evaluate the effects of lowering asTF levels, we will transduce PDAC cells with a lentivirus expressing a ..
- Glomerular Cell-Cell Crosstalk and InjuryErwin P Bottinger; Fiscal Year: 2013..affects glomerular cells in vivo, we generated a transgenic mouse model (PodTbrI(AAD) that enables conditional (Doxycycline-inducible) expression of a constitutively-active TbrI mutant (TbrI(AAD)...
- In Vivo Oncogene-induced Tumorigenesis and EscapeLewis A Chodosh; Fiscal Year: 2013..To pursue this goal, we have developed and validated a series of doxycycline-inducible transgenic mouse models for MYC, HER2/neu, Wnt1, and Akt-overexpressing breast cancers that display ..
- Caveolin-1 and Altered Neuregulinism in Diabetic NeuropathyRick T Dobrowsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..a novel SC-specific conditional transgenic mouse that upregulates a constitutively-active Erb B2 in response to doxycycline. Thus, our goal is to integrate findings from animal and cellular models to gain mechanistic insight into how ..
- Tat mediation of HIV-associated mood disorders via functional deficits in brainJay P McLaughlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal utilizes the GT-tg transgenic mouse and its doxycycline-gene induction strategy for a controlled, selective expression of Tat protein in the brain...
- Doxycycline for COPD in HIV-Infected PatientsRobert J Kaner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on these observations, we hypothesize that pharmacologic inhibition of MMPs by doxycycline, the only FDA-approved inhibitor of MMPs, will favorably modify the natural history of COPD in HIV-infected ..
- Role of Macrophages in Tumor Dormancy and RecurrenceJASON ROBERT RUTH; Fiscal Year: 2013..To address this, our laboratory has established doxycycline-inducible bitransgenic mouse models that develop invasive mammary carcinoma following doxycycline ..
- The Jefferson Regional Clinical Center for Heart Failure NetworkDavid J Whellan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sub-antimicrobial doxycycline (SDD) has been shown to reduce TNF-a and MMPs in other chronic diseases but has not been evaluated in HF ..
- NEUROPEPTIDERGIC INHIBITION OF SPINAL PAIN TRANSMISSIONBradley K Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2013..the contribution of endogenous NPY to chronic pain, Aim #1 will utilize transgenic mice (NPYtet) that contain a doxycycline-regulated cassette (tetracycline trans-activator, tTA) at the promoter region of the npy locus...
- Temporally controlled oncogene expression in a novel pancreatic cancer modelKay Uwe Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2012..The treatment of tumor-bearing mice with a ligand (doxycycline) results in the suppression of c-Myc expression, which subsequently leads to apoptosis of neoplastic cells ..
- Therapeutic intervention for BrucellaAMY RAMBOW LARSEN; Fiscal Year: 2009..Rifampicin and Doxycycline (1)...
- Development of Infection-Resistant Suture MaterialsMatthew Phaneuf; Fiscal Year: 2004..by employing textile-dyeing techniques to apply the benzene ring-structured antibiotics Ciprofloxacin (Cipro), Doxycycline and Linezolid...
- Azithromycin Combination Therapy in Resistant MalariaCharles Knirsch; Fiscal Year: 2000..treatment problem because the drugs commonly added to the above standard agents to augment efficacy-such as doxycycline/tetracycline or mefloquine-are contraindicated for these populations...
- Development of Infection-Resistant Suture MaterialsMatthew Phaneuf; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Phase I, Ciprofloxacin (Cipro), Linezolid and Doxycycline were successfully incorporated into nylon, silk and polyester (Dacron) suture materials using textile-dyeing ..
- ETHNIC DISPARITY IN THE USE OF JOINT ARTHROPLASTYDENNIS ANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most recently, the center became the lead institution in a clinical study of doxycycline and its ability to prevent the progression of joint damage caused by OA. The study is funded by an $8...
- EFFECTIVENESS OF OUTPATIENT TREATMENT FOR PIDRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 1999..1200 women with suspected PID will be randomized to inpatient therapy consisting of parenteral cefoxitin and doxycycline for at least 48 hours, followed by doxycycline orally for a total of 14 days, or to an outpatient regimen ..
- DOXYCYCLINE EFFECT ON OSTEOARTHRITIS PROGRESSIONKenneth Brandt; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have shown that prophylactic oral administration of doxycycline (doxy) markedly reduces the severity of cartilage damage in a canine model of OA; even when therapy was ..
- Melanopsin-expressing retinal ganglion cells: novel genetic toolsPaulo Kofuji; Fiscal Year: 2009..be regulated both reversibly and quantitatively by exposing the transgenic animals to varying concentrations of doxycycline (Dox)...
- A Mechanistically Novel Antibiotic for AnthraxEdward Turos; Fiscal Year: 2004..be developed into forms that are highly resistant to current antibiotics (such as ciprofloxacin, penicillin and doxycycline), thus rendering our public health system's ability to control anthrax infections ineffective...
- Target and antibiotic discovery in Bacillus anthracisPhilip Youngman; Fiscal Year: 2002..concentrations of antibiotics it has been made resistant to all commonly used drugs such as penicillin, doxycycline and Ciprofloxacin...
- TREATING PERIODONTAL INFECTION: GLYCEMIC CONTROLGeorge Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..curettage, local antimicrobial treatment with povidone-iodine irrigation, and oral systemic antibiotics (doxycycline or metronidizole)...
- C/EDB BETA AND CHOP IN EPIDERMAL DIFFERENTIATIONEdward Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2002..Alterations in parameters of growth and differentiation will be assayed after induction of the transgenes with doxycycline. As an in vivo correlate to these studies, stable keratinocyte lines will be grafted onto the backs of nude ..
- Innovative intervention for healing of diabetic ulcersJoyce Stechmiller; Fiscal Year: 2005..The antibiotic doxycycline is an inhibitor of high levels of active proteases, including metalloproteinases, a proinflammatory molecule in ..
- Topical Antibiotics to Prevent Lyme DiseaseGary Wormser; Fiscal Year: 2007..outer surface protein A and antibiotic chemoprophylaxis of Ixodes scapularis tick bites with single-dose doxycycline have been shown to decrease the incidence of human cases. However, the Lyme vaccine is no longer marketed...
- PLAGL2 Expression in Emphysema Patient LungsYih Sheng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Lungs from transgenic mice developed an accelerated form of centrilobular emphysema following doxycycline (Dox) induction of PLAGL2 expression in type II and bronchiolar epithelial cells...
- EFFECT OF ANTIBIOTICS ON ORAL BIOFILMS IN VIVOAnne Haffajee; Fiscal Year: 2001..scaling and root planing and will be randomly assigned to one of 4 groups of 36 subjects each receiving one of doxycycline, amoxicillin, metronidazole or control...
- Doxycycline Treatment of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: PlanningMichael Terrin; Fiscal Year: 2007..There is laboratory, animal model and observational evidence that doxycycline, working as an MMP inhibitor, can prevent progression of AAA, although the clinical evidence for this effect is ..