organ preservation solutions
Summary: Solutions used to store organs and minimize tissue damage, particularly while awaiting implantation.
Publications246 found, 100 shown here
- Organ preservation with histidine-tryptophan ketogluatarate solution in clinical pancreas transplantation: an update of the indiana university experienceA Agarwal
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Transplant Proc 40:498-501. 2008..Serum fasting blood glucose and serial amylase remained comparable at all intervals posttransplantation to those of a historical UW cohort. Within this range of cold ischemia times, HTK appears to provide effective pancreas preservation...
- Perspectives in organ preservationMark Hugo J Maathuis
Department of Surgery, Surgical Research Laboratory, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transplantation 83:1289-98. 2007..Therefore, recently some groups have pointed at the beneficial effects of normothermic machine perfusion as a new perspective in organ preservation and transplantation...
- Impact of normothermic preservation with extracellular type solution containing trehalose on rat kidney grafting from a cardiac death donorSatomi Iwai
Laboratory of Small Animal Surgery I, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University, Aomori, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e33157. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate factors that may improve the condition of a marginal kidney preserved with a normothermic solution following cardiac death (CD) in a model of rat kidney transplantation (RTx)...
- Hypothermic storage of isolated human hepatocytes: a comparison between University of Wisconsin solution and a hypothermosol platformAlina Ostrowska
Wroclaw University of Environmental and Life Sciences, Wrocław, Poland
Arch Toxicol 83:493-502. 2009..Moreover, the use of HTS-FRS eliminates the need for serum in preservation solutions. HTS-FRS represents an improved solution compared to HTS-Base and UW for extending the shipping/storage time of human hepatocytes...
- Experimental small bowel preservation using Polysol: a new alternative to University of Wisconsin solution, Celsior and histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution?Lai Wei
House of Experimental Therapy, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
World J Gastroenterol 13:3684-91. 2007....
- The isolated perfused rat liver: standardization of a time-honoured modelM Bessems
Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Lab Anim 40:236-46. 2006..The usual volume is 150-300 cm3, oxygenated to a pO2 of more than 500 mmHg. The temperature of the perfusate is maintained at 37 degrees C. Standardized markers should be used to allow comparison with other experiments...
- Improved rat liver preservation by hypothermic continuous machine perfusion using polysol, a new, enriched preservation solutionMaud Bessems
Surgical Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Liver Transpl 11:539-46. 2005..In conclusion, machine perfusion using Polysol results in better quality liver preservation than cold storage with UW and machine perfusion using UW-G...
- Improved cold preservation of kidney tubular cells by means of adding bioflavonoids to organ preservation solutionsThurid Ahlenstiel
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University Hospital of Saarland, Homburg Saar, Germany
Transplantation 81:231-9. 2006..The aim of this study is to examine whether cold storage induced cell injury can be ameliorated by adding flavonoids directly to preservation solutions...
- Cold storage of rat hepatocyte suspensions for one week in a customized cold storage solution--preservation of cell attachment and metabolismGesine Pless-Petig
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e40444. 2012..Based on previous studies with adherent cells, we here assessed cold storage injury in rat hepatocyte suspensions and aimed to find a cold storage solution that preserves viability, attachment ability and functionality of these cells...
- Subzero nonfreezing storage of rat hepatocytes using UW solution and 1,4-butanediol. II- functional testing on rewarming and gene expression of urea cycle enzymesEdgardo E Guibert
Biologia Molecular, Dpto Cs Biológicas, Fac de Ciencias Bioquímicas y Farmacéuticas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Rosario, Argentina
Ann Hepatol 8:129-33. 2009..Results were compared with the ammonium removal efficiency of the three groups...
- Gene expression and activity of urea cycle enzymes of rat hepatocytes cold stored up to 120h in University of Wisconsin solutionLuciana Almada
Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Bioquimicas y Farmaceuticas, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina
Cryobiology 52:393-400. 2006....
- Subzero nonfreezing cryopresevation of rat hearts using antifreeze protein I and antifreeze protein IIIGabriel Amir
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Cryobiology 48:273-82. 2004..4 vs. 1.7, p<0.05, and 3.4 vs. 1.7, p<0.05, respectively). In conclusion, AFPs were found to protect the heart from freezing and improve survival and dP (AFP III) in prolonged subzero preservation...
- Accumulation of crystal deposits in abdominal organs following perfusion with defrosted University of Wisconsin solutionsStefan G Tullius
Department of Surgery, Charite Virchow Clinic, Berlin, Germany
Am J Transplant 2:627-30. 2002..UW solutions can reach subzero temperatures under commonly used transportation conditions. Under these conditions, visible crystals accumulate and can be detected in abdominal organs of an experimental system...
- Liver preservation: is there anything new yet?James V Guarrera
Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032 USA
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 13:148-54. 2008..To provide an update on recent developments in liver preservation through a comprehensive review of the literature...
- Normothermic recirculation reduces primary graft dysfunction of kidneys obtained from non-heart-beating donorsR Valero
Department of Anaesthesiology, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Spain
Transpl Int 13:303-10. 2000..01). Duration of DGF was shorter in kidneys obtained through TBC than in kidneys obtained with ISP (P < 0.05). In conclusion, NR reduces the incidence of DGF and may be considered the method of choice for kidney procurement from NHBD...
- Initial blood washout during organ procurement determines liver injury and function after preservation and reperfusionNils A 't Hart
University Hospital Groningen, Surgery Research Laboratory, Hanzeplein 1, 9713 GZ Groningen, The Netherlands
Am J Transplant 4:1836-44. 2004..We propose to use high-pressure UW-CSS perfusion for the initial blood washout of the donor liver instead of the usually used low-pressure washout...
- A novel method for preserving human lungs using a super-cooling systemMasayoshi Abe
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1085-8. 2006..To ensure the suitable preservation of isolated lungs, a super-cooling system was used to cool water to temperatures as low as -5 degrees C without freezing...
- Improvement of human corneal endothelium in culture after prolonged hypothermic storageD Camposampiero
Veneto Eye Bank Foundation, Venezia Mestre, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 13:745-51. 2003..To evaluate whether the organ culture method for human cornea preservation may be applied to corneas stored for several days at 4 degrees C...
- Optisol vs Dexsol as storage media for preservation of human corneal epitheliumA Greenbaum
Goldschleger Eye Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Eye (Lond) 18:519-24. 2004..To compare the efficacy of two storage media, Optisol GS and Dexsol, in preservation of donor corneal epithelium...
- Effect of University of Wisconsin organ-preservation solution on haemorheologyArjan van der Plaats
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Groningen, P O Box 196, 9700 AD Groningen, The Netherlands
Transpl Int 17:227-33. 2004..The aggregates are larger than the diameter of the sinusoids. Initial washout could be optimised by pre-flushing to improve the viability of the liver and to decrease delayed graft function...
- Polyethylene glycol modified-albumin enhances the cold preservation properties of University of Wisconsin solution in rat liver and a hepatocyte cell lineRime Abbas
Department of Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5047, USA
J Surg Res 164:95-104. 2010..Peg-Alb-UW solution improved the integrity of the glutathione redox buffer system of a hepatocyte cell line after cold storage and reperfusion...
- Impact of preservation solution on the extent of blood-air barrier damage and edema formation in experimental lung transplantationChristian Mühlfeld
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290:491-500. 2007..Celsior was not effective in preserving the lung from morphological I/R injury...
- Hypothermic kidney preservation: a remembrance of the past in the future?Marc Olivier Timsit
Division of Transplant Surgery and Transplant Surgery Research Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 16:162-8. 2011..At the same time, novel perfusion and preservation concepts are under current investigation and have shown promising results.We summarize the current knowledge and controversies in hypothermic kidney preservation...
- New preservation strategies for preventing liver grafts against cold ischemia reperfusion injuryRosa Franco-Gou
Department of Experimental Pathology, Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona, CSIC, Institute of Biomedical Research August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1120-6. 2007....
- IGL-1 solution in kidney transplantation: first multi-center studyRicardo Codas
Department of Urology and Transplant Surgery, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Centaure Network, Lyon, France
Clin Transplant 23:337-42. 2009..No significant difference in DGF and rejection rates as well as in patient and graft survival was shown between the two groups. Kidneys preserved in IGL-1 solution showed to have the same function as kidneys preserved in UW solution...
- Effects of hypothermic machine perfusion on rat liver function depending on the route of perfusionP Compagnon
INSERM U-456, Detoxification and Tissue Repair Unit, University of Rennes I, France
Transplantation 72:606-14. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: This study confirms the superiority of HMP over SCS to preserve the liver graft. It shows that retrograde perfusion is similar to PV perfusion and that perfusion by HA is less beneficial...
- Luminescence technology in preservation and transplantation for rat isletKoji Negishi
Division of Development of Advanced Therapy, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
Islets 3:111-7. 2011The development of organ preservation solutions and associated technology has been a major effort in tissue transplantation recently. However, this research takes a great deal of time and resources...
- Organ preservation solutions attenuate accumulation and nuclear translocation of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in the hepatoma cell line HepG2Renate Paddenberg
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Cell Biochem Funct 27:516-25. 2009..Here, we determined the impact of organ preservation solutions (Celsior; histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution, HTK; University of Wisconsin solution; UW), ..
- Hepatoprotective effect of prolactin and cysteine contained in perfusion and preservation solutions on porcine liver stored in simple hypothermiaF Ryszka
Biochefa Pharmaceutical Research and Production Plant, Sosnowiec, Poland
Transplant Proc 43:2882-6. 2011..The aim of our study was to determine the results of histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) solutions modified by the addition of the antioxidant cysteine (Cys), and of prolactin (PRL) on storage of isolated porcine livers...
- Retrograde flush perfusion with low-potassium solutions for improvement of experimental pulmonary preservationT Wittwer
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 19:976-83. 2000..So far, we have seen no experimental studies that include stereologic analysis of intrapulmonary edema concerning the influence of retrograde preservation on post-ischemic lung function after preservation with Perfadex and Celsior...
- Organ preservation solutions impair deformability of erythrocytes in vitroB Chmiel
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Transplant Proc 35:2163-4. 2003..3 to 1.2 Pa. Erythrocytes incubated with UW solution revealed a decrease in deformability index at all investigated shear stresses. HTK causes less deterioration of erythrocyte deformability compared to UW solution...
- Role of perfusion medium, oxygen and rheology for endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced cell death after hypothermic machine preservation of the liverSteffen Manekeller
Surgical Research Division, University Clinic of Surgery, Bonn, Germany
Transpl Int 21:169-77. 2008..The simple insufflation of gaseous O2 may be considered a feasible alternative, apparently indifferent to the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Influence of the selected antioxidants on the stability of the Celsior solution used for perfusion and organ preservation purposesAneta Ostróżka-Cieślik
Department of Applied Pharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, 41 205, Sosnowiec, Kasztanowa 3, Poland
AAPS PharmSciTech 10:468-75. 2009..5 mmol/l caused a 4.4 times stability increase (t(90) = 96 days), and fumaric acid at a concentration of 0.5 mmol/l extended the stability by 2.1 times (t(90) = 48 days) in relation to the original solution...
- A pathophysiologic study of the kidney tubule to optimize organ preservation solutionsNiaz Ahmad
Department of Transplant Surgery, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 66:77-90. 2004..This induces an electrolyte imbalance that leads to fluid influx and cell swelling. It is important, therefore, that improvements are made in the preservation of ischemic organs to reduce this injury...
- Curcumin has potent liver preservation properties in an isolated perfusion modelChangguo Chen
Department of Surgery, Transplant Section, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Transplantation 82:931-7. 2006..Curcumin has profound antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This research assessed the effect of curcumin on liver preservation...
- Peritoneal cooling may provide improved protection for uncontrolled donors after cardiac death: an exploratory porcine studyA P Navarro
Liver, Renal and Pancreatic Transplant Unit, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Am J Transplant 9:1317-23. 2009..The data suggests a need for further research to determine the potential for reductions in the rates of ischemia-related clinical phenomena for uncontrolled DCDs...
- Inherent toxicity of organ preservation solutions to cultured hepatocytesUrsula Rauen
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Cryobiology 56:88-92. 2008b>Organ preservation solutions have been designed to protect grafts against the injury inflicted by cold ischemia. However, toxicity of University of Wisconsin (UW) solution during rewarming has been reported...
- Evaluation of Megacell MEM as a storage medium for corneas destined for transplantationValerie A Smith
University of Bristol, Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol, UK
Ophthalmic Res 43:18-25. 2010..Megacell MEM, formulated to reduce the FCS requirement of cells by a factor of 5, has therefore been evaluated as a corneal storage medium...
- Effect of IGL-1, a new preservation solution, on kidney grafts (a pre-clinical study)Lionel Badet
Service d urologie et transplantation, Hopital Edouard Herriot University Claude Bernard Lyon I, 5 Place d Arsonval, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Transpl Int 17:815-21. 2005..In conclusion, kidneys preserved in IGL-1 solution tolerated ischemia/reperfusion injury better than those preserved in K-UW solution...
- Livers from non-heart-beating donors tolerate short periods of warm ischemiaDiethard Monbaliu
Department of Abdominal Transplant Surgery, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Transplantation 79:1226-30. 2005..This study aims to develop a reproducible large animal model of liver transplantation using non-heart-beating donors and, in this model, to define the tolerance of the liver to warm ischemia...
- Protective effect of polyethylene glycol against prolonged cold ischemia and reperfusion injury: study in the isolated perfused rat kidneyT Hauet
Faculte de Medecine, Poitiers and Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire, Poitiers, France
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 297:946-52. 2001..These results are supported by histological studies, particularly concerning brush border and mitochondrial preservation. Our results indicate that PEG is promising for cold ischemia and reperfusion injury protection...
- Hypothermic machine preservation attenuates ischemia/reperfusion markers after liver transplantation: preliminary resultsJames V Guarrera
Department of Surgery, Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 622 West 168th Street PH 14 Center, Room 202, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Surg Res 167:e365-73. 2011..Hypothermic machine perfusion (HMP) has shown significant benefits in renal transplantation but is still in its infancy in liver transplantation. Potential benefits include diminished preservation injury and improved early graft function...
- Comparison of the effectiveness of ET-Kyoto with Euro-Collins and University of Wisconsin solutions in cold renal storageHiroshi Yoshida
Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Transplantation 74:1231-6. 2002..In this study, the efficacy of ETKS for renal cold storage compared with Euro-Collins solution (ECS) and University of Wisconsin solution (UWS) was investigated...
- Past and future approaches to ischemia-reperfusion lesion associated with liver transplantationArani Casillas-Ramirez
Experimental Liver Ischemia Reperfusion Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona August Pi i Sunyer, Experimental Hepatology, IIBB CSIC, C Rosellón 161, 7th floors, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Life Sci 79:1881-94. 2006..Moreover, we will review ischemic preconditioning, taking into account the recent clinical studies that suggest that this surgical strategy could be appropriate for liver transplantation...
- Pulsatile perfusion preservation of warm ischaemia-damaged experimental kidney graftsM C J M Schreinemachers
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 97:349-58. 2010..This study assessed the efficacy of pulsatile machine perfusion in combination with Polysol for the preservation of warm ischaemia-damaged kidney grafts...
- Molecular markers in stored kidneys using perfluorocarbon-based preservation solution: preliminary resultsD G Maluf
Division of Transplant, Department of Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0248, USA
Transplant Proc 38:1243-6. 2006..We evaluated histologically and a number of molecular changes induced by ischemia in stored kidneys with University of Wisconsin (UW) and PFC-based preservation solutions (PFC-UW)...
- Preservation of steatotic livers in IGL-1 solutionIsmail Ben Mosbah
Department of Experimental Pathology, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 12:1215-23. 2006..In conclusion, IGL-1 solution provided steatotic livers with better protection against the deleterious effects of cold ischemia-reperfusion injury than did UW solution...
- Successful pancreas preservation by a perfluorocarbon-based one-layer method for subsequent pig islet isolationDaniel Brandhorst
Third Medical Department, University Hospital, Rodthohl 6, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Transplantation 79:433-7. 2005..The present study examined whether PFC can be used in a one-layer method (OLM) for long-term pancreas preservation before isolation of adult pig islets...
- Addition of carvedilol to University Wisconsin solution improves rat steatotic and nonsteatotic liver preservationIsmail Ben Mosbah
Department of Experimental Pathology Department, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona, CSIC, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Liver Transpl 16:163-71. 2010..We conclude that CVD is a useful additive for UW solution that improves the preservation of steatotic and nonsteatotic livers subjected to prolonged cold ischemia...
- Anti-thrombin therapy during warm ischemia and cold preservation prevents chronic kidney graft fibrosis in a DCD modelF Favreau
Inserm U927, Ischémie reperfusion en transplantation rénale, Poitiers, France
Am J Transplant 10:30-9. 2010..Finally, expression of oxidative stress markers Nox2 and iNOS was reduced. We conclude that inhibition of thrombin is an effective therapy against IRI that reduces chronic graft fibrosis, with a significantly positive effect on survival...
- Pulmonary preservation with LPD and celsior solution in porcine lung transplantation after 24 h of cold ischemiaSebastian P Sommer
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, 30623 Hannover, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:151-7. 2004..The purpose of the study was to compare two extracellular type solutions, low potassium dextrane (LPD) and Celsior in their ability of ameliorating lung ischemia reperfusion injury...
- Pronlonged hypothermic machine perfusion preserves hepatocellular function but potentiates endothelial cell dysfunction in rat liversHongzhi Xu
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina, Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
Transplantation 77:1676-82. 2004..The present study was conducted to investigate endothelial and hepatocellular functions following extended HMP (> r =24 hr) in rat liver model...
- Hypoxia inducible factor-1alpha accumulation in steatotic liver preservation: role of nitric oxideMohamed Amine Zaouali
Experimental Hepatic Ischemia Reperfusion Unit, Institut of Biomedical Research of Barcelona, Spanish National Research Council, 08036, Barcelona, Spain
World J Gastroenterol 16:3499-509. 2010..To examine the relevance of hypoxia inducible factor (HIF-1) and nitric oxide (NO) on the preservation of fatty liver against cold ischemia-reperfusion injury (IRI)...
- Modified two-layer preservation method (M-Kyoto/PFC) improves islet yields in islet isolationH Noguchi
Diabetes Research Institute Kyoto, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, 54 Kawahara cho, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Am J Transplant 6:496-504. 2006..In conclusion, the advantages of M-Kyoto solution are trypsin inhibition and less collagenase inhibition. Based on these data, we now use M-Kyoto solution for clinical islet transplantation from nonheart-beating donor pancreata...
- Perfluorocarbon improves post-transplant survival and early kidney function following prolonged cold ischemiaT Marada
Department of Transplant Surgery and Center for Experimental Medicine, Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic
Eur Surg Res 44:170-8. 2010..We tested whether this technique would prevent tissue damage and improve kidney function in a model of syngeneic kidney transplantation with prolonged ischemia time...
- Addition of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase activators to University of Wisconsin solution: a way of protecting rat steatotic liversIsmail Ben Mosbah
Experimental Hepatic Ischemia Reperfusion Unit, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas de Barcelona Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Spain
Liver Transpl 13:410-25. 2007..TMZ and AICAR may constitute new additives to UW solution in steatotic liver preservation, whereas a combination of both seems unnecessary...
- Impact of pancreatic cold preservation on rat islet recovery and functionAntonello Pileggi
Cell Transplant Center, Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami Leonard M Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Transplantation 87:1442-50. 2009..Islet transplantation success depends on the number and quality of islets transplanted. This study aimed at exploring the molecular mechanisms associated with cold pancreas preservation and their impact on islet cell survival and function...
- The influence of storage temperature during machine perfusion on preservation quality of marginal donor liversPeter Olschewski
Clinic for General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Charite Campus Virchow Klinikum, University Medicine Berlin, Germany
Cryobiology 60:337-43. 2010..There is evidence that machine perfusion is able to improve the preservation of marginal organs, and therefore we evaluated in our study the influence of the perfusate temperature during oxygenated machine perfusion on the graft quality...
- The clinical and cost-effectiveness of pulsatile machine perfusion versus cold storage of kidneys for transplantation retrieved from heart-beating and non-heart-beating donorsJ Wight
The School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield, UK
Health Technol Assess 7:1-94. 2003..Transplantation of kidneys from both heart-beating donors (HBDs) and non-heart-beating donors (NHBDs) is considered. Finally to review whether the use of MP can allow valid testing of kidney viability prior to transplantation...
- Hypothermia causes a marked injury to rat proximal tubular cells that is aggravated by all currently used preservation solutionsMiranda Bartels-Stringer
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cryobiology 47:82-91. 2003..Iron-dependent MPT is suggested to play a role in this damage. Strategies to prevent cold-induced injury should aim at reducing the availability of "free" iron...
- Histidine-induced injury to cultured liver cells, effects of histidine derivatives and of iron chelatorsU Rauen
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 64:192-205. 2007The amino acid histidine is an excellent buffer and is therefore included in several organ preservation solutions used in transplantation medicine...
- Cold induces catalytic iron release of cytochrome P-450 origin: a critical step in cold storage-induced renal injuryHong Huang
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Am J Transplant 2:631-9. 2002..In the clinical setting, sequestering free iron released during cold storage is possible and may prove to be useful in limiting organ injury...
- Normothermic kidney preservationSarah A Hosgood
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Transplant Group, University of Leicester, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Curr Opin Organ Transplant 16:169-73. 2011..Normothermic preservation can be adapted to improve the quality of kidneys for transplantation by a variety of techniques...
- Cold-induced apoptosis of rat liver cells in University of Wisconsin solution: the central role of chelatable ironUta Kerkweg
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45122 Essen, Germany
Hepatology 35:560-7. 2002..With regard to the extent of this iron-mediated injury, addition of a suitable iron chelator to UW solution might markedly improve the outcome of liver preservation...
- Perfluorocarbon for organ preservation before transplantationShinichi Matsumoto
Islet and Cell Processing Laboratory, Puget Sound Blood Center Northwest Tissue Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Transplantation 74:1804-9. 2002..The TLM has also been shown to be beneficial for preserving other difficult organs, such as heart and small bowel...
- Preservation of the human pancreas before islet isolation using a two-layer (UW solution-perfluorochemical) cold storage methodJonathan R T Lakey
Department of Surgery, Surgical Medical Research Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Transplantation 74:1809-11. 2002
- Apoptosis versus necrosis during cold storage and rewarming of human renal proximal tubular cellsA K Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216-4505, USA
Transplantation 72:798-804. 2001..Inclusion of antioxidants in the storage solution confers protection against both cold storage and rewarming-induced necrosis and apoptosis...
- Liver graft exposure to carbon monoxide during cold storage protects sinusoidal endothelial cells and ameliorates reperfusion injury in ratsAtsushi Ikeda
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Liver Transpl 15:1458-68. 2009..In conclusion, CO delivery to excised liver grafts during cold preservation efficiently ameliorates SEC damage and hepatic I/R injury...
- Preservation of pancreatic tissue morphology, viability and energy metabolism during extended cold storage in two-layer oxygenated University of Wisconsin/perfluorocarbon solutionShahar Atias
Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 10:273-6. 2008....
- Improved islet yield and function with ductal injection of University of Wisconsin solution before pancreas preservationToshiya Sawada
Diabetes Institute for Immunology and Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Transplantation 75:1965-9. 2003....
- Ductal injection of preservation solution increases islet yields in islet isolation and improves islet graft functionHirofumi Noguchi
Transplantation Unit, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Cell Transplant 17:69-81. 2008..Based on these data, this technique is now used for clinical islet transplantation from non-heart-beating donor pancreata or living donor pancreas...
- Heterotopic transplant of an isolated rat heart preserved for 72 h in perfluorocarbon with CO2Yu Yoshida
Faculty of Science, Kanagawa University, Hiratsukashi, 259 1293 Japan
Cell Transplant 17:83-9. 2008..The present report documents the resuscitation of this heart after 72 h of preservation followed by heterotrophic transplantation...
- Improvement of the cold storage of blood vessels with a vascular preservation solution. Study in porcine aortic segmentsTimo Wille
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
J Vasc Surg 47:422-31. 2008..Hypothesizing that this iron-dependent cold-induced injury might also occur in the endothelium of intact vessels, we here set out to optimize the hypothermic storage of blood vessels...
- Improvement of the cold storage of isolated human hepatocytesGesine Pless
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Cell Transplant 21:23-37. 2012....
- Two-layer method (UW solution/perfluorochemical plus O2) for lung preservation in rat lung transplantationC C Liu
Taipei Venteran General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Transplant Proc 39:3019-23. 2007..Histologic examination revealed more inflammatory cell aggregates in the lung graft preserved using a two-layer method...
- Influence of cold-storage conditions on renal function of autotransplanted large pig kidneysJ M Goujon
Unité de Transplantation Expérimentale, Département de Génétique Animale, Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, Surgeres, France
Kidney Int 58:838-50. 2000..Several strategies have been proposed to reduce IRI. We have shown that adding the anti-ischemic drug trimetazidine (TMZ) to different preservation solutions had beneficial effects on the function of reperfused rat and pig kidneys...
- Mechanism and prevention of cold storage-induced human renal tubular cell injuryA K Salahudeen
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Transplantation 70:1424-31. 2000..The objective was, therefore, to seek direct evidence for the free radical production during the cold storage of human renal tubular cells, and to define the roles of extrinsic and intrinsic antioxidants in cold-induced cell injury...
- Iron-dependent vs. iron-independent cold-induced injury to cultured rat hepatocytes: a comparative study in physiological media and organ preservation solutionsUrsula Rauen
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Cryobiology 54:77-86. 2007..We here assessed the effects of organ preservation solutions on both components of cold-induced injury and tried to further characterize the iron-independent ..
- Biometry of primate lenses during immersion in preservation mediaRobert C Augusteyn
Vision Cooperative Research Centre, Sydney, Australia
Mol Vis 12:740-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to assess the condition of human lenses (obtained from an eye bank) and of fresh monkey lenses, and to determine the effects of maintaining these lenses in various liquid preservation media...
- Comparing the effect of Biolasol® and HTK solutions on maintaining proper homeostasis, indicating the kidney storage efficiency prior to transplantationBarbara Dolińska
Department of Applied Pharmacy, Medical University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland
Ann Transplant 17:74-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to demonstrate the effectiveness of the newly developed Biolasol(®) solution in kidney storage and to compare its protective effect to the standard HTK solution...
- Evaluation of IGL-1 preservation solution using an orthotopic liver transplantation modelHassen Ben Abdennebi
Department of Humane Physiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Monastir 5000, Tunisia
World J Gastroenterol 12:5326-30. 2006..To compare, in a pig liver transplantation model, the protective effect of UW with that of IGL-1, a high-sodium preservation solution containing polyethylene glycol (PEG) as an oncotic supply...
- Improving long-term outcome in allograft transplantation: role of ionic composition and polyethylene glycolRaphael Thuillier
INSERM, U927, Universite de Poitiers, Faculte de Medecine et Pharmacie, 6 rue de la Miletrie, Poitiers, France
Transplantation 91:605-14. 2011..Fourth generation solutions are emerging, using new colloid based on polyethylene glycol (PEG) polymers and extracellular ionic composition. We evaluated their eventual benefits for optimal resistance to IRI and improved outcome...
- Low-potassium dextran solution ameliorates reperfusion injury of the lung and protects surfactant functionM Struber
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and the Department of Pneumology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 120:566-72. 2000..This study was designed to compare the effect of lung preservation with low-potassium dextran solution and Euro-Collins solution on reperfusion injury and surfactant function by using an in situ model of warm ischemia...
- Oxygenation during hypothermic rat liver preservation: an in vitro slice study to demonstrate beneficial or toxic oxygenation effectsNils A 't Hart
Surgery Research Laboratory, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Liver Transpl 11:1403-11. 2005..This study also shows that ROS formation occurs during hypothermic preservation and the liver is not protected by UCP-2. We conclude that saturation of UW-MP with 21% oxygen allows optimal preservation results...
- Evaluation of an animal product-free variant of MegaCell MEM as a storage medium for corneas destined for transplantationValerie A Smith
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, University of Bristol, Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol, UK
Ophthalmic Res 43:33-42. 2010..The possibility of removing or replacing these components has therefore been investigated...
- Cold preservation-warm reperfusion perturbs cytosolic calcium ion homeostasis in rat liver sinusoidal endothelial cellsStéphanie Auger
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Liver Transpl 9:150-9. 2003..Cold preservation does not significantly affect changes in SEC steady-state Ca(2+) levels, but greatly impairs the capacity of SECs to subsequently respond to Ca(2+)-mobilizing agonists...
- Experimental lung transplantation: impact of preservation solution and route of deliveryThorsten Wittwer
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 24:1081-90. 2005..So far, no comparative studies exist with regard to preservation quality following retrograde preservation with Perfadex and Celsior after extended cold-ischemia intervals...
- Static cold storage preservation of ischemically damaged kidneys. a comparison between IGL-1 and UW solutionMark Hugo J Maathuis
University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Transpl Int 21:473-82. 2008..In the present experiment, static CS preservation of ischemically damaged rat kidneys in either IGL-1 or UW-CSS rendered equal results after transplantation...
- Improvement of pulmonary preservation with Celsior and Perfadex: impact of storage time on early post-ischemic lung functionT Wittwer
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany
J Heart Lung Transplant 18:1198-201. 1999..Optimal preservation of post-ischemic organ function is a continuing challenge in clinical lung transplantation...
- Impact of organ preservation using HTK for graft flush and subsequent storage in UW in rat kidney transplantationVolker Schmitz
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Eur Surg Res 38:388-98. 2006..Since previous reports have indicated a benefit of combining histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) and University of Wisconsin (UW) solution, we evaluated the effects of initial flush with low viscosity HTK, followed by storage in UW...
- Testing combinations of protease inhibitor and preservation solution to improve islet quality and yieldI H Al-Abdullah
City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Transplant Proc 40:390-2. 2008..We hypothesized that using both TLM and Pefabloc could enhance islet yield as compared with preservation in University of Wisconsin (UW) or Histidine-Tryptophan Ketoglutarate (HTK) solution...
- Wash-out of the non-heart-beating donor liver: a matter of flush solution and temperature?Maud Bessems
Surgical Laboratory, Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Liver Int 26:880-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the type of flush solution, temperature and anticoagulant content on the wash-out of the non-heart-beating donor (NHBD) rat liver...
- A new model for human intestinal preservation: comparison of University of Wisconsin and Celsior preservation solutionsA deRoover
Departments of Transplantation and Pathology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Liege, Belgium
Transplant Proc 36:270-2. 2004..We compared University of Wisconsin (UW) and Celsior preservation solutions using a new model of human intestinal preservation that mimics the clinical conditions of small bowel procurement...
- Comparison of histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate and University of Wisconsin preservation in renal transplantationR J Lynch
Department of Surgery, Division of Transplantation, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Transplant 8:567-73. 2008..Prolonged preservation with HTK compared to UW was not associated with excess risk to the graft or patient. In summary, HTK demonstrated efficacy similar to UW in terms of patient and graft survival...
- Oxygenated machine perfusion preservation of predamaged kidneys with HTK and Belzer machine perfusion solution: an experimental study in pigsS Manekeller
Division of Surgical Research, University Hospital of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Transplant Proc 37:3274-5. 2005..In conclusion, provision of oxygen during storage is possible by low-flow perfusion with HTK as with Belzer MPS...
- Pancreas preservation with the University of Wisconsin versus Celsior solutionsA Manrique
Servicio de Cirugia General, Ap Digestivo y Trasplante de Organos Abdominales, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Madrid, Spain
Transplant Proc 38:2582-4. 2006..The use of Celsior solution for organ preservation has not been thoroughly studied in pancreas transplantation. The aim of this study was to compare University of Wisconsin and Celsior solutions for preservation of pancreas grafts...
- Histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate solution vs. University of Wisconsin solution for liver transplantation: a systematic reviewLi Feng
Key Laboratory of Transplant Engineering and Immunology, Ministry of Health, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, PR China
Liver Transpl 13:1125-36. 2007..Adequately powered RCTs with longer follow-up periods are required to evaluate the long-term effect of these 2 solutions...
- Preservation of the liver graft with Celsior solutionF A Garcia-Gil
Liver Transplant Unit, Hospital Clinico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Spain
Transplant Proc 38:2385-8. 2006..We studied the evolution of the liver graft with preservation in Celsior (CS) compared with University of Wisconsin solution (UW)...
- 24-h storage of pig livers in UW, HTK, hydroxyethyl starch, and saline solution: is microdialysis an appropriate method for the continuous graft monitoring during preservation?Gero Puhl
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Transplantationschirurgie, Charite Campus Virchow Klinikum, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Transpl Int 19:303-9. 2006..Whether or not glycerol monitoring could represent an additional and rational complementation to the current practice of macroscopic, microscopic and donor evaluation has to be clarified by further studies...
- Calcium-supplemented University of Wisconsin solution in long-term myocardial preservationLourdes Alvarez-Ayuso
Department of Experimental Surgery, Puerta de Hierro University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Histol Histopathol 23:1103-10. 2008..Thus, under the experimental conditions employed in this study, we consider the addition of calcium to Wisconsin solution to be unadvisable...
- Ischemic type biliary lesions in histidine-tryptophan-ketoglutarate (HTK) preserved liver graftsC Moench
Department of Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Int J Artif Organs 29:329-34. 2006..We suggest that low viscosity of the preservation fluid by itself does not guarantee reliable perfusion of the small arteries of a liver graft and a pressure perfusion might be beneficial even in HTK solution...
- New Solutions to Improve Islet Recovery after Machine Preservation of PancreasMichael Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2009..in the Phase I study a new proprietary solution (Unisol) will be compared with current standard organ preservation solutions (KPS1 and UW Viaspan) for 24h preservation of fresh porcine pancreata...
- Engineered Cartilage Storage and Transport SolutionKelvin Brockbank; Fiscal Year: 2005..be tested at two temperatures (25 degrees and 4 degrees C) and compared with commercially available organ preservation solutions. These temperatures were selected on the basis of the two contrasting degrees of hypothermia and ..
- Polymer Carrier for Ischemia-Inducible Gene TherapyDavid Bull; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Cornea Preservation by VitrificationGREGORY FAHY; Fiscal Year: 2004..In phase III we will launch commercial products and services. ..
- REGULATION OF EXTRACELLULAR SUPEROXIDE DISMUTASE BY PROTRussell Bowler; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will not only define new aspects of the pathogenesis and regulation of vascular tone and inflammation, but can open new approaches to pharmacologically control these events. ..
- Endonuclease dificiency in breast cancer progressionAlexei Basnakian; Fiscal Year: 2006..The next specific aim will be focused on functional studies to determine the role of EndoG in dedifferentiation and invasiveness of breast cancer cells in vitro (Specific Aim 2). ..
- STUDIES OF THE CORNEAWilliam Bourne; Fiscal Year: 2007..Knowledge of these effects will lead to improvements in these surgical procedures. ..
- Extended Cardiac PreservationGREGORY FAHY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Should that be the case, the combination product, URS with an intermittent perfusion system, will be tested with greater priority. ..
- PRESERVATION OF LIVER SLICES BY VITRIFICATIONMichael Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..The molecular ice control formulations which provide the highest tissue viability and least interstitial ice formation will be tested in larger animal and human PCLS tissues in a sub-sequent Phase II SBIR proposal. ..
- VIRUS PHOTOINACTIVATION--DIMETHYLMETHYLENE BLUE IN RBCStephen Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- pH MANAGEMENT IN HYPOTHERMICALLY STORED CARDIOMYOCYTESSimona Baicu; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Localized modulation of RPE P-gp/MRP activity for back-of-the-eye drug deliverySoumyajit Majumdar; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sugars as Novel Cryoprotectants for Primate OocytesAli Eroglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..We predict that the proposed research will result in a reliable preservation technique for primate oocytes by circumventing many of the difficulties associated with conventional protocols. ..
- Improved Renal PreservationGREGORY FAHY; Fiscal Year: 2003..The ability to preserve kidneys with less damage prior to transplantation will significantly reduce the costs and risks of post-transplant dialysis, reduce rejection episodes, and increase the net organ supply. ..
- MYOCARDIAL CALCIUM HANDLING DURING AND AFTER HYPOTHERMIADAVID STOWE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will lead to a better understanding of Ca2+ loading and therapies to protect hypothermic hearts. ..
- Induced hypothermic arrest in traumatic shockHasan Alam; Fiscal Year: 2005..Sub aim 2: Develop and test methods and techniques that can facilitate the induction of hypothermic arrest in the setting of traumatic shock. ..
- CATCH: Mechanochemistry and Regulation in Smooth MuscleThomas Butler; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) Determination of the extent of involvement of myosin crossbridges in catch force maintenance by measurements of changes in orientation of fluorescent probes attached to the regulatory light chain. ..
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will identify molecular mechanisms by which Slc11a1 modulates liver I/R injury, and will provide a novel target for therapeutic intervention in I/R-mediated organ injury. ..
- Pancreas Transporter Development and ValidationMichael Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research program is supported by collaboration with three major clinical centers interested in validation of this perfusion technology for their future use. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RENAL INJURY AND ADAPTATION TO HEME PROTEINSKarl Nath; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our proposed application thus continues to pursue the functionality of HO-1, as it utilized a new strategy, transgenic mice, and as it defines a new area of involvement namely, renal inflammation. ..
- PRESERVATION OF MYOCARDIAL TISSUE-ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTSSimona Baicu; Fiscal Year: 2003..In the long-term, it is anticipated that cryopreservation by vitrification may permit the storage of tissue-engineered left ventricular assist devices or hearts. ..
- Myocardial Protection in the Aging HeartDAVID STOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long term objectives of this project, as a new research area for this laboratory, are to investigate new interventions which may protect the aged myocardium from ischemia/reperfusion injury. ..
- MOLECULAR ICE CONTROL FOR ENGINEERED TISSUESMichael Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2003..The potential markets are enormous. Cryopreservation methods, which result in retained viability and function, will be licensed to the tissue engineering industry. ..
- A novel therapeutic for the treatment of persistent corneal epithelial defectsBennie H Jeng; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this study could therefore support and lead to the commercialization of this non-surgical method for enhancing epithelial wound healing, which could ultimately benefit nearly 23,000 corneas in the United States annually. ..