Genomes and Genes
Summary: Purgative anthraquinone found in several plants, especially Rhamnus frangula. It was formerly used as a laxative, but is now used mainly as tool in toxicity studies.
Publications285 found, 100 shown here
- Emodin has a cytotoxic activity against human multiple myeloma as a Janus-activated kinase 2 inhibitorAkihiro Muto
Department of Pathophysiology, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Hoshi University, 2 4 41 Ebara, Shinagawaku, Tokyo 142 8501, Japan
Mol Cancer Ther 6:987-94. 2007b>Emodin is an active component of a traditional Chinese and Japanese medicine isolated from the root and rhizomes of Rheum palmatum L...
- Emodin enhances gefitinib-induced cytotoxicity via Rad51 downregulation and ERK1/2 inactivationRuey Shyang Chen
Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms Laboratory, Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, National Chiayi University, Chiayi, Taiwan
Exp Cell Res 315:2658-72. 2009b>Emodin, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, is a natural anthraquinone derivative found in the roots and rhizomes of numerous plants. It reportedly exhibits an anticancer effect on lung cancer...
- Emodin inhibits tumor cell adhesion through disruption of the membrane lipid Raft-associated integrin signaling pathwayQing Huang
Department of Community, Occupational, and Family Medicine, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Cancer Res 66:5807-15. 2006..b>Emodin is the major active component of the rhizome of Rheum palmatum L., with known anticancer activities...
- Sonodynamic effect of an anti-inflammatory agent--emodin on macrophagesQianping Gao
Department of Pathophysiology, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, P R China
Ultrasound Med Biol 37:1478-85. 2011b>Emodin has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent and inflammation is a crucial feature of atherosclerosis. Here, we investigated the sonodynamic effect of emodin on macrophages, the pivotal inflammatory cells in atherosclerotic plaque...
- Emodin-induced microglial apoptosis is associated with TRB3 inductionXueping Zhou
the Clinical Research Institute, First College of Clinical Medicine, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, China
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 33:594-602. 2011b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone), a natural anthraquinone compound isolated from the rhizome of rhubarb, has been reported to treat brain injury after intracerebral hemorrhage...
- Emodin enhances cytotoxicity of chemotherapeutic drugs in prostate cancer cells: the mechanisms involve ROS-mediated suppression of multidrug resistance and hypoxia inducible factor-1Xin Zhi Huang
Department of Cell Biology, Key Laboratory of The Education Ministry for Cell Differentiation and Apoptosis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Cancer Biol Ther 7:468-75. 2008..In the present study, emodin, proven as a reactive oxygen species (ROS) generator by our previous work, was applied in combination with ..
- Emodin down-regulates androgen receptor and inhibits prostate cancer cell growthTai Lung Cha
Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cancer Res 65:2287-95. 2005..Here, we show that emodin, a natural compound, can directly target AR to suppress prostate cancer cell growth in vitro and prolong the ..
- Inhibition of phosphorylation of p38 MAPK involved in the protection of nephropathy by emodin in diabetic ratsJinping Wang
Lab of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Pharmaceutical Science, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, 510080, China
Eur J Pharmacol 553:297-303. 2006To explore the protection of emodin on renal dysfunction in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats with nephropathy and the role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (p38 MAPK) signal transduction pathway in this protection...
- Anthraquinone emodin inhibits human cancer cell invasiveness by antagonizing P2X7 receptorsBilel Jelassi
Inserm U1069 Nutrition, Growth and Cancer, Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, 10 boulevard Tonnelle, 37032 Tours, France
Carcinogenesis 34:1487-96. 2013..b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone) is an anthraquinone derivative originally isolated from Rheum officinale ..
- Emodin and -gingerol lessen hypoxia-induced embryotoxicities in cultured mouse whole embryos via upregulation of hypoxia-inducible factor 1α and intracellular superoxide dismutasesJung Min Yon
College of Veterinary Medicine and Research Institute of Veterinary Medicine Priority Research Institute of NRF, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju 361 763, South Korea
Reprod Toxicol 31:513-8. 2011..To determine whether emodin and -gingerol affects hypoxia-induced anomalies during embryonic organogenesis, we cultured embryonic day 8...
- Anti-diabetic effects of emodin involved in the activation of PPARgamma on high-fat diet-fed and low dose of streptozotocin-induced diabetic miceJianfeng Xue
College of Life Sciences, Graduate University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, No 19 A Yu Quan Road, Beijing, China
Fitoterapia 81:173-7. 2010Rheum palmatum Linn has been widely applied in the clinical treatment of diabetes mellitus. It has been found that emodin as the major bioactive component of R...
- Inhibitory effect of emodin on bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in miceXiao hong Chen
Guangzhou Institute of Respiratory Disease, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:146-53. 20091. Currently, there is no satisfactory treatment for pulmonary fibrosis. Emodin, a component in Chinese herbs, has been shown to have an antifibrotic effect on pancreatic fibrosis and liver fibrosis...
- Targeted abrogation of diverse signal transduction cascades by emodin for the treatment of inflammatory disorders and cancerDeepti Shrimali
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Cancer Lett 341:139-49. 2013b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone) is a natural occurring anthraquinone derivative isolated from roots and barks of numerous plants, molds, and lichens...
- Emodin loaded solid lipid nanoparticles: preparation, characterization and antitumor activity studiesShengpeng Wang
State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine, Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Av Padre Tomás Pereira S J, Taipa, Macau, 999078, China
Int J Pharm 430:238-46. 2012The objective of the present study was to prepare and characterize emodin (EMO)-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (E-SLNs) and evaluate their antitumor activity in vitro...
- Emodin inhibits proinflammatory responses and inactivates histone deacetylase 1 in hypoxic rheumatoid synoviocytesMi Kyoung Ha
Graduate School of East West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University, Korea
Biol Pharm Bull 34:1432-7. 2011..In the present study, we investigated the anti-inflammatory effects of emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone) isolated from the root of Rheum palmatum L...
- Enhanced antitumor efficacy by the combination of emodin and gemcitabine against human pancreatic cancer cells via downregulation of the expression of XIAP in vitro and in vivoZhao Hong Wang
Department of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, No 109, West Xue yuan Road, Wenzhou 325027, P R China
Int J Oncol 39:1123-31. 2011..of this study was to explore the role of XIAP and NF-κB in potentiating the antitumor effect of gemcitabine by emodin in pancreatic cancer...
- Antiproliferative and antimetastatic effects of emodin on human pancreatic cancerAn Liu
Department of Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, No 109, West Xue yuan Road, Wenzhou 325027, PR China
Oncol Rep 26:81-9. 2011b>Emodin (1, 3, 8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone) is an active constituent isolated from the root of Rheum palmatum L and is the main effective component of some Chinese herbs and plants...
- Celecoxib acts in a cyclooxygenase-2-independent manner and in synergy with emodin to suppress rat cholangiocarcinoma growth in vitro through a mechanism involving enhanced Akt inactivation and increased activation of caspases-9 and -3Guan Hua Lai
Division of Cellular and Molecular Pathogenesis, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Virginia Campus of Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia 23298 0297, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 2:265-71. 2003b>Emodin, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, effectively blocked tyrosine phosphorylation of p185(neu) overexpressed in cultured rat C611B cholangiocarcinoma (ChC) cells and in neu-transformed WB-F344 rat-liver epithelial stem-like cells (WBneu ..
- Emodin protects rat liver from CCl(4)-induced fibrogenesis via inhibition of hepatic stellate cells activationMiao Xian Dong
The Institute of Medicine, Qiqihar Medical University, JianHua District, Qiqihar, Heilongjiang Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 15:4753-62. 2009To investigate the role of emodin in protecting the liver against fibrogenesis caused by carbon tetrachloride (CCl(4)) in rats and to further explore the underlying mechanisms.
- Emodin ameliorates glucose-induced matrix synthesis in human peritoneal mesothelial cellsTak Mao Chan
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Kidney Int 64:519-33. 2003b>Emodin ameliorates glucose-induced matrix synthesis in human peritoneal mesothelial cells...
- Anti-tumor activity of emodin against human chronic myelocytic leukemia K562 cell lines in vitro and in vivoWang Chun-Guang
Key Laboratory of Laboratory Medical Diagnostics, Ministry of Education, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400016, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 627:33-41. 2010b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone), a natural anthraquinone derivative isolated from Rheum palmatum L, has been reported to exhibit anti-cancer effect on several human cancers such as liver cancers and lung cancers...
- Emodin inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor-A-induced angiogenesis by blocking receptor-2 (KDR/Flk-1) phosphorylationHee Jin Kwak
Laboratory of Functional Genomics, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Sciences, Seoul, Korea
Int J Cancer 118:2711-20. 2006b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone), an active component in the root and rhizome of Rheum palmatum, is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor with a number of biological activities, including antitumor effects...
- Emodin induces apoptosis in human lung adenocarcinoma cells through a reactive oxygen species-dependent mitochondrial signaling pathwayYu Ting Su
Institute of Medical Science, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Biochem Pharmacol 70:229-41. 2005b>Emodin, a natural anthraquinone derivative isolated from Rheum palmatum L., has been reported to exhibit anti-cancer effect on several human cancers such as liver cancers and lung cancers...
- Modulation of Rad51, ERCC1, and thymidine phosphorylase by emodin result in synergistic cytotoxic effect in combination with capecitabineJen Chung Ko
Department of Internal Medicine, Hsinchu Hospital, Department of Health, The Executive Yuan, Taiwan
Biochem Pharmacol 81:680-90. 2011..Overexpression of Rad51 and ERCC1 induce resistance to chemotherapeutic agents. Emodin, one of the main bioactive anthraquinone derivatives in the roots and rhizomes of numerous plants, possesses ..
- Antitumor and apoptosis-promoting properties of emodin, an anthraquinone derivative from Rheum officinale Baill, against pancreatic cancer in mice via inhibition of Akt activationWei Tian Wei
Department of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, No 109, West Xue yuan Road, Wenzhou 325027, P R China
Int J Oncol 39:1381-90. 2011..b>Emodin is an active component of Chinese medicinal herbs and can inhibit the activation of Akt and NF-κB...
- Aloe-emodin induces apoptosis in T24 human bladder cancer cells through the p53 dependent apoptotic pathwayJaung Gung Lin
School of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Urol 175:343-7. 2006..We investigated the anticancer effect of AE (1,8-dihydroy-3-[hydroxymethyl]-anthraquione) in the T24 human bladder cancer cell line (Food Industry Research and Development Institute, Hsinchu, Taiwan) by studying apoptosis regulation...
- Emodin, a naturally occurring anthraquinone derivative, suppresses IgE-mediated anaphylactic reaction and mast cell activationYue Lu
College of Pharmacy, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan 712 749, Republic of Korea
Biochem Pharmacol 82:1700-8. 2011..b>Emodin, a naturally occurring anthraquinone derivative in oriental herbal medicines, has several beneficial pharmacologic ..
- Emodin as an effective agent in targeting cancer stem-like side population cells of gallbladder carcinomaXin Xing Li
Division of General Surgery, Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Stem Cells Dev 22:554-66. 2013..We previously showed that 1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone (emodin), a reactive oxygen species (ROS) generator, enhanced sensitivity of gallbladder cancer SGC-996 cells to cisplatin ..
- Effects of an anthraquinone derivative from Rheum officinale Baill, emodin, on airway responses in a murine model of asthmaXiao Chu
Key Laboratory of Zoonosis, Ministry of Education, Institute of Zoonosis, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, People s Republic of China
Food Chem Toxicol 50:2368-75. 2012b>Emodin is a component from traditional Chinese herbal medicines...
- Emodin attenuates high glucose-induced TGF-β1 and fibronectin expression in mesangial cells through inhibition of NF-κB pathwayJie Yang
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, Guangxi Medical University, Nanning, Guangxi, People s Republic of China
Exp Cell Res 319:3182-9. 2013..Our previous studies demonstrated that emodin ameliorated renal injury and inhibited extracellular matrix accumulation in kidney and mesangial cells under ..
- Emodin suppresses cell proliferation and fibronectin expression via p38MAPK pathway in rat mesangial cells cultured under high glucoseXuejuan Li
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guagnzhou, Guangdong, China
Mol Cell Endocrinol 307:157-62. 2009Our previous findings demonstrated that emodin could improve the renal function in rats with diabetic nephropathy, but little is known about its molecular mechanisms...
- Effect of emodin on endoplasmic reticulum stress in rats with severe acute pancreatitisLi Wu
College of Pharmacy, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, People s Republic of China
Inflammation 36:1020-9. 2013This study aimed to investigate the protective effect of emodin on endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress in rats with severe acute pancreatitis (SAP) and the underlying molecular mechanism...
- Emodin suppresses interleukin-1beta induced mesangial cells proliferation and extracellular matrix production via inhibiting P38 MAPKRong Wang
Department of Nephrology, Shandong Provincial Hospital Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, China
Life Sci 80:2481-8. 2007Previous findings indicate that emodin has anti-proliferation and anti-fibrosis effects on several cell lines...
- Antitumor activity of emodin against pancreatic cancer depends on its dual role: promotion of apoptosis and suppression of angiogenesisSheng Zhang Lin
Department of Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
PLoS ONE 7:e42146. 2012b>Emodin has been showed to induce apoptosis of pancreatic cancer cells and inhibit tumor growth in our previous studies...
- Emodin potentiates the antitumor effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer cells via inhibition of nuclear factor-κBAn Liu
Department of Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325027, P R China
Mol Med Rep 4:221-7. 2011Many studies have demonstrated that emodin inhibits the growth and induces the apoptosis and chemo-sensitization of various cancer cells in animal models...
- Enhanced effect of gemcitabine by emodin against pancreatic cancer in vivo via cytochrome C-regulated apoptosisHui Chen
Department of Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, No 109, West Xue yuan Road, Wenzhou 325027, PR China
Oncol Rep 25:1253-61. 2011..b>Emodin, a natural anthraquinone derivative, is one such agent that has been shown to induce apoptosis in other tumor ..
- Exploration of Emodin to treat alpha-naphthylisothiocyanate-induced cholestatic hepatitis via anti-inflammatory pathwayYan Ding
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical and Health Center for Women and Children, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, 430016, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 590:377-86. 2008b>Emodin, 1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone, is an anthraquinone derivative from the roots of Rheum officinale Baill that has been used to treat many diseases in digestive system for thousands of years...
- Anti-glioma action of aloe emodin: the role of ERK inhibitionS Mijatovic
Institute for Biological Research, Despota Stefana 142, 11000, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Cell Mol Life Sci 62:589-98. 2005The effect of aloe emodin (AE), a herbal anthraquinone derivative, on the rat C6 glioma cell line was investigated...
- Emodin sensitizes paclitaxel-resistant human ovarian cancer cells to paclitaxel-induced apoptosis in vitroJuan Li
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Shandong 250012, P R China
Oncol Rep 21:1605-10. 2009..b>Emodin has been reported to sensitize human tumor cells to chemotherapeutic agents...
- Emodin induces embryonic toxicity in mouse blastocysts through apoptosisMei Hui Chang
Department of Bioscience Technology and Center for Nanotechnology, Chung Yuan Christian University, Chung Li, Taiwan
Toxicology 299:25-32. 2012b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone), a major constituent of rhubarb, has a wide range of therapeutic applications...
- In vivo antioxidant action of a lignan-enriched extract of Schisandra fruit and an anthraquinone-containing extract of Polygonum root in comparison with schisandrin B and emodinP Y Chiu
Department of Biochemistry, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Hong Kong, China
Planta Med 68:951-6. 2002..of Polygonum multiflorum (PME) was compared with their respective active constituents schisandrin B (Sch B) and emodin by examining their effect on hepatic mitochondrial glutathione antioxidant status in control and carbon ..
- The anthraquinone derivative Emodin ameliorates neurobehavioral deficits of a rodent model for schizophreniaM Mizuno
Center for Transdisciplinary Research, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
J Neural Transm 115:521-30. 2008..Here we investigated effects of the anthraquinone derivatives emodin (3-methyl-1,6,8-trihydroxyanthraquinone) and sennoside (bis-[D: -glucopyranosyl-oxy]-tetrahydro-4,4'-dihydroxy-..
- Neuroprotective effects of emodin in rat cortical neurons against beta-amyloid-induced neurotoxicityTao Liu
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology and Embryology, Medical School of Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, China
Brain Res 1347:149-60. 2010..In this study, the neuroprotective effect of emodin extracted from the traditional Chinese medicinal herb Polygonum cuspidatum Sieb...
- Emodin inhibits TNF-alpha-induced human aortic smooth-muscle cell proliferation via caspase- and mitochondrial-dependent apoptosisSook Kyoung Heo
Cardiovascular Medical Research Center and Department of Prescriptionology University of Dongguk, Gyeongju City, Gyeongbuk 780 714, Republic of Korea
J Cell Biochem 105:70-80. 2008..It has been reported that emodin, an active component extracted from rhubarb, can stop the growth of cancer cells; however, it is not known if ..
- The antiproliferative activity of aloe-emodin is through p53-dependent and p21-dependent apoptotic pathway in human hepatoma cell linesPo Lin Kuo
Graduate Institute of Natural Products, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan, ROC
Life Sci 71:1879-92. 2002The aim of this study is to investigate the anticancer effect of aloe-emodin in two human liver cancer cell lines, Hep G2 and Hep 3B...
- Induction of defence mechanisms in grapevine leaves by emodin- and anthraquinone-rich plant extracts and their conferred resistance to downy mildewSophie Godard
Swiss Federal Research Station Agroscope Changins Wädenswil, Route de Duillier, P O Box 1012, CH 1260 Nyon, Switzerland
Plant Physiol Biochem 47:827-37. 2009..extracts contain many phenolic compounds belonging to the anthraquinone family, such as rhein, frangulin A, emodin, aloe-emodin, chrysophanol, and physcion. Emodin alone is able to impair P...
- Evaluation of the anti-angiogenic effect of aloe-emodinC Cardenas
Procel Lab, Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Malaga, 29071, Malaga, Spain
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:3083-9. 2006The present study identified aloe-emodin (AE, a hydroxyanthraquinone from Aloe vera and other plants) as a new anti-angiogenic compound with inhibitory effects in an in vivo angiogenesis assay and evaluates its effects on specific key ..
- Effects of emodin on treating murine nonalcoholic fatty liver induced by high caloric laboratory chawHui Dong
Institute of Integrative Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, Hubei Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:1339-44. 2005To investigate the effects of emodin on the treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver in rats induced by high caloric laboratory chaw.
- Effects and mechanisms of aloe-emodin on cell death in human lung squamous cell carcinomaH Z Lee
School of Pharmacy, China Medical College, 91, Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung, 404, Taiwan
Eur J Pharmacol 431:287-95. 2001Aloe-emodin (1,8-dihydroxy-3-(hydroxymethyl)-anthraquinone) is an active component from the root and rhizome of Rheum palmatum...
- Emodin inhibits the growth of hepatoma cells: finding the common anti-cancer pathway using Huh7, Hep3B, and HepG2 cellsChin Mu Hsu
School of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, and Genetic Center, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 392:473-8. 2010b>Emodin--a major component of Rheum palmatum L.-exerts antiproliferative effects in cancer cells that are regulated by different signaling pathways...
- Emodin induces apoptosis in human promyeloleukemic HL-60 cells accompanied by activation of caspase 3 cascade but independent of reactive oxygen species productionYen Chou Chen
Graduate Institute of Pharmacognosy Science, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei, Taiwan
Biochem Pharmacol 64:1713-24. 2002b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone) is an active constituent of Rheum palmatum, and showed inhibitory activity on lipopolysaccharide-induced NO production in our previous study...
- Molecular mechanism of emodin action: transition from laxative ingredient to an antitumor agentGopal Srinivas
Department of Biochemistry, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram 695011, India
Med Res Rev 27:591-608. 2007Anthraquinones represent a large family of compounds having diverse biological properties. Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone) is a naturally occurring anthraquinone present in the roots and barks of numerous plants, molds, ..
- Emodin triggers DNA double-strand breaks by stabilizing topoisomerase II-DNA cleavage complexes and by inhibiting ATP hydrolysis of topoisomerase IIYan Li
Center for Drug Safety Evaluation and Research, State Key Laboratory of New Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
Toxicol Sci 118:435-43. 2010b>Emodin, an anthraquinone derived from a plant and fungi, has been reported to possess potential genotoxicity, but the mechanism is not entirely clear...
- Alteration of subcellular redox equilibrium and the consequent oxidative modification of nuclear factor kappaB are critical for anticancer cytotoxicity by emodin, a reactive oxygen species-producing agentYawu Jing
Department of Cell Biology, Key Laboratory of The Education Ministry for Cell Differentiation and Apoptosis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Free Radic Biol Med 40:2183-97. 2006We previously found that emodin produced reactive oxygen species (ROS) intracellularly...
- Suppression of ERCC1 and Rad51 expression through ERK1/2 inactivation is essential in emodin-mediated cytotoxicity in human non-small cell lung cancer cellsJen Chung Ko
Department of Internal Medicine, Hsinchu Hospital, Department of Health, The Executive Yuan, Taiwan
Biochem Pharmacol 79:655-64. 2010b>Emodin, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, is a natural anthraquinone derivative found in the roots and rhizomes of numerous plants. Emodin exhibits anticancer effects against a variety of cancer cells, including lung cancer cells...
- Emodin enhances alveolar epithelial barrier function in rats with experimental acute pancreatitisXian Ming Xia
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Jinling Hospital, Nanjing 210002, Jiangsu Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 16:2994-3001. 2010To investigate the effect of emodin on expression of claudin-4, claudin-5 and occludin, as well as the alveolar epithelial barrier in rats with pancreatitis induced by sodium taurocholate.
- Phytoestrogens from the roots of Polygonum cuspidatum (Polygonaceae): structure-requirement of hydroxyanthraquinones for estrogenic activityH Matsuda
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina-ku, 607-8412, Kyoto, Japan
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 11:1839-42. 2001..By bioassay-guided separation from P. cuspidatum with the most potent activity, emodin and emodin 8-O-beta-D-glucopyranoside were isolated as active principles...
- Emodin induces apoptosis of human tongue squamous cancer SCC-4 cells through reactive oxygen species and mitochondria-dependent pathwaysShuw Yuan Lin
Department of Food and Nutrition, Hung Kuang University, Taichung, Taiwan
Anticancer Res 29:327-35. 2009b>Emodin was isolated from Rheum palmatum L. and exhibits an anticancer effect on human cancer cell lines, however, the molecular mechanisms of emodin-mediated apoptosis in human tongue cancer cells have not been fully investigated...
- Emodin enhances sensitivity of gallbladder cancer cells to platinum drugs via glutathion depletion and MRP1 downregulationWei Wang
Renji Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China
Biochem Pharmacol 79:1134-40. 2010..In the present study, we tested the effect of emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone), a reactive oxygen species (ROS) generator reported by our group ..
- Protein kinase CK2 and protein kinase D are associated with the COP9 signalosomeStefan Uhle
Division of Molecular Biology, Department of Surgery, Institute of Toxicology, Medical Faculty Charité, Humboldt University, Monbijoustrasse 2, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
EMBO J 22:1302-12. 2003..CK2 phosphoryl ates Thr155, which targets p53 to degradation by the Ub system. Curcumin, emodin, DRB and resveratrol block CSN-associated kinases and induce degradation of c-Jun in HeLa cells...
- Silk-fibroin-coated liposomes for long-term and targeted drug deliveryAndrea S Gobin
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Laboratory of Reparative Biology and Bioengineering, Plastic Surgery, Houston, TX 72230, USA
Int J Nanomedicine 1:81-7. 2006..report, the structural properties, drug release kinetics, and therapeutic availability of silk-fibroin-coated, emodin-loaded liposomes (SF-ELP), compared with uncoated, emodin-loaded liposomes (ELP), were investigated...
- Emodin inhibits tumor cell migration through suppression of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-Cdc42/Rac1 pathwayQ Huang
Department of Community, Occupational, and Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore
Cell Mol Life Sci 62:1167-75. 2005..We found that emodin (3-methyl-1,6,8-trihydroxyanthraquinone), an active component from the rhizome of Rheum palmatum, significantly ..
- Emodin has cytotoxic and protective effects in rat C6 glioma cells: roles of Mdr1a and nuclear factor kappaB in cell survivalTzu Ching Kuo
Department of Microbiology, China Medical University, 91, Hsueh Shih Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 330:736-44. 20091,3,8-Trihydroxy-6-methylanthaquinone (emodin) is recognized as an antiproliferative compound...
- Emodin suppresses lipopolysaccharide-induced pro-inflammatory responses and NF-κB activation by disrupting lipid rafts in CD14-negative endothelial cellsGuoquan Meng
Department of Biophysics, School of Life Science and Technology, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Chengdu, Sichuan, China
Br J Pharmacol 161:1628-44. 2010b>Emodin [1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methylanthraquinone] has been reported to exhibit vascular anti-inflammatory properties. However, the corresponding mechanisms are not well understood...
- Silk fibroin mediated delivery of liposomal emodin to breast cancer cellsSangeeta K Cheema
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Plastic Surgery, Unit 602, P O Box 301402, Houston, TX 72230 1402, United States
Int J Pharm 341:221-9. 2007..and efficacy of silk fibroin coated liposomes (SF-ELP), encapsulating a receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, emodin, on Her2/neu over-expressing breast cancer cells, was investigated...
- Emodin, aloe-emodin and rhein inhibit migration and invasion in human tongue cancer SCC-4 cells through the inhibition of gene expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9Ya Yin Chen
School of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 404, Taiwan, R O C
Int J Oncol 36:1113-20. 2010b>Emodin, aloe-emodin and rhein are major compounds in rhubarb (Rheum palmatum L.), used in Chinese herbal medicine, and found to have antitumor properties including cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in many human cancer cells...
- Emodin, a natural product, selectively inhibits 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and ameliorates metabolic disorder in diet-induced obese miceYing Feng
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, PR China
Br J Pharmacol 161:113-26. 2010..b>Emodin, a natural product and active ingredient of various Chinese herbs, has been demonstrated to possess multiple ..
- Emodin induces a reactive oxygen species-dependent and ATM-p53-Bax mediated cytotoxicity in lung cancer cellsJin Mei Lai
Department of Life Science, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei County, Taiwan
Eur J Pharmacol 623:1-9. 2009b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone), a natural anthraquinone compound isolated from the rhizome of rhubarb, has been reported to suppress tumor growth in many clinical situations...
- Participation of cathepsin B in emodin-induced apoptosis in HK-2 CellsCuifen Wang
Jiangsu Center for Drug Screening, China Pharmaceutical University, 24 Tong Jia Xiang, Nanjing 210009, China Department of Pharmacology, Southeast University, Nanjing 210009, China
Toxicol Lett 181:196-204. 2008b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone) and rhein (4,5-dihydroxyanthraquinone-2-carboxyl acid) are two main active compounds in total rhubarb anthraquinones (TRAs), which showed nephrotoxicity in Sprague Dawley (S.D...
- Emodin enhances arsenic trioxide-induced apoptosis via generation of reactive oxygen species and inhibition of survival signalingJing Yi
Department of Cell Biology, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Cancer Res 64:108-16. 2004..b>Emodin, a natural anthraquinone derivative, was selected because its semiquinone structure is likely to increase the ..
- Effects of emodin on synaptic transmission in rat hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons in vitroJian Wen Gu
Department of Physiology, Kurume University School of Medicine, 67 Asahi Machi, Kurume 830 0011, Japan
Neuropharmacology 49:103-11. 2005..To this end, the effects of emodin, an anthraquinone derivative extracted from Rheum tanguticum Maxim. Ex...
- Emodin-induced generation of reactive oxygen species inhibits RhoA activation to sensitize gastric carcinoma cells to anoikisJun Cai
Departments of Cell Biology, Key Laboratory of The Education Ministry for Cell Differentiation and Apoptosis, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Neoplasia 10:41-51. 2008..Oxidative stress caused by emodin, an ROS producer, in combination with arsenic trioxide (ATO) led to RhoA inactivation that triggered structural ..
- Emodin-induced apoptosis through p53-dependent pathway in human hepatoma cellsDen En Shieh
Graduate Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Life Sci 74:2279-90. 2004..In this study, the cytotoxic effect of emodin on various human hepatoma cell lines was investigated...
- Immunosuppressive effects of emodin: an in vivo and in vitro studyY X Liu
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
Transplant Proc 41:1837-9. 2009We sought to investigate the immunosuppressive effects of emodin and its potential in vivo and in vitro mechanisms.
- Evaluation of the antibacterial activity of Ventilago madraspatana Gaertn., Rubia cordifolia Linn. and Lantana camara Linn.: isolation of emodin and physcion as active antibacterial agentsSubhalakshmi Basu
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta 700 032, India
Phytother Res 19:888-94. 2005..In the course of bio-assay guided fractionation, emodin and physcion were isolated for the first time from the stem-bark of V. madraspatana...
- Emodin negatively affects the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/AKT signalling pathway: a study on its mechanism of actionBirgitte B Olsen
University of Southern Denmark, Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39:227-37. 2007..b>Emodin is a natural anthraquinone derivative that exhibits anti-proliferative effects in various cancer cell lines by ..
- Emodin and baicalein inhibit pancreatic stromal derived factor-1 expression in rats with acute pancreatitisZong Fang Li
Department of Surgery, Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710004, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 8:201-8. 2009..b>Emodin, an anthraquinone derivative from Radix et Rhizoma Rhei, and baicalein, a flavone from Scutellaria baicalensis ..
- Signal pathways involved in emodin-induced contraction of smooth muscle cells from rat colonTao Ma
Department of Surgery, General Hospital of Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin 300052, China
World J Gastroenterol 10:1476-9. 2004To investigate the effects induced by emodin on single smooth muscle cells from rat colon in vitro, and to determine the signal pathways involved.
- Role of Rad51 down-regulation and extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 inactivation in emodin and mitomycin C-induced synergistic cytotoxicity in human non-small-cell lung cancer cellsYing Jhen Su
Molecular Oncology Laboratory, Department of Biochemical Science and Technology, National Chiayi University, Chiayi, Taiwan
Mol Pharmacol 77:633-43. 2010b>Emodin (1,3,8-trihydroxy-6-methyl-anthraquinone) is a natural anthraquinone derivative found in the roots and rhizomes of numerous plants. It is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor and has anticancer effects on lung cancer...
- Aloe emodin suppresses myofibroblastic differentiation of rat hepatic stellate cells in primary cultureSun Wook Woo
Department of Pharmacy, Medicinal Resources Research Center, Wonkwang University, Iksan, Jeonbuk 570 749, South Korea
Pharmacol Toxicol 90:193-8. 2002We have studied the inhibitory effect of aloe emodin on hepatic stellate cells activation and proliferation, as these cells play a key role in the pathogenesis of hepatic fibrosis...
- Effect of emodin on neuropathic pain transmission mediated by P2X2/3 receptor of primary sensory neuronsYun Gao
Department of Physiology, Medical College of Nanchang University, Bayi Road 461, Nanchang, Jiangxi, PR China
Brain Res Bull 84:406-13. 2011..The P2X(2/3) receptors play a crucial role in facilitating the transmission of pain at neuropathic pain states. Emodin is a natural anthraquinone in rhubarb...
- The effect of emodin, an anthraquinone derivative extracted from the roots of Rheum tanguticum, against herpes simplex virus in vitro and in vivoHai rong Xiong
State Key Laboratory of Virology, Institute of Medical Virology, Research Center of Food and Drug Evaluation, School of Medicine, Wuhan University, 185 DongHu Road, Wuhan 430071, PR China
J Ethnopharmacol 133:718-23. 2011..Rhubarb is one of the oldest and best-known traditional Chinese medicines. We initiated this study to test if emodin is the active ingredients from Rheum tanguticum (R...
- Emodin inhibits migration and invasion of DLD-1 (PRL-3) cells via inhibition of PRL-3 phosphatase activityYoung Min Han
Laboratory of Chemical Genomics and Biology, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, 1125 Gwahakro, Yoosunggu, Daejeon 305 600, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:323-6. 2012..b>Emodin strongly inhibited phosphatase activity of PRL-3 with IC(50) values of 3...
- Emodin inhibits the differentiation and maturation of dendritic cells and increases the production of regulatory T cellsWei Zhang
Department of Surgery, the Second Affiliated Hospital of Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325027, PR China
Int J Mol Med 29:159-64. 2012The aim of this study was to characterize the effects of emodin on dendritic cells (DCs) and CD4⁺CD25⁺ regulatory T cells (Tregs)...
- Promotion of adiponectin multimerization by emodin: a novel AMPK activator with PPARγ-agonist activityZhifen Chen
MOE Key Laboratory of Bioinformatics, School of Life Sciences, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
J Cell Biochem 113:3547-58. 2012..In this study, we reported that emodin, a natural product and active ingredient of various Chinese herbs, activates AMPK in both 3T3-L1 adipocytes and ..
- Emodin regulates glucose utilization by activating AMP-activated protein kinaseParkyong Song
Division of Molecular and Life Sciences, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang, Kyungbuk 790 784, Republic of Korea
J Biol Chem 288:5732-42. 2013..As a result, emodin, a natural anthraquinone derivative, was shown to stimulate AMPK activity in skeletal muscle and liver cells...
- Emodin and rhein inhibit LIGHT-induced monocytes migration by blocking of ROS productionSook Kyoung Heo
Cardiovascular Medical Research Center and Department of Prescriptionology, University of Dongguk, Gyeongju City, Gyeongbuk 780 714, Republic of Korea
Vascul Pharmacol 53:28-37. 2010LIGHT is known to act as a novel mediator for atherogenesis. Furthermore, it has been reported that emodin, an active component extracted from rhubarb, can stop the growth of cancer cells...
- Protective effects of emodin combined with danshensu on experimental severe acute pancreatitisGang Wang
Department of Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, 23 Youzheng St, Nangang Dist 150001, Harbin, Heilongjiang, People s Republic of China
Inflamm Res 59:479-88. 2010In the present experiment, we aimed to determine the feasibility and curative effects of emodin combined with danshensu on experimental severe acute pancreatitis (SAP) and the mutual benefit of this synergistic strategy by a prospective ..
- Emodin ameliorates lipopolysaccharide-induced mastitis in mice by inhibiting activation of NF-κB and MAPKs signal pathwaysDepeng Li
Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin province 130062, People s Republic of China
Eur J Pharmacol 705:79-85. 2013b>Emodin is an anthraquinone derivative from the Chinese herb Radix et Rhizoma Rhei...
- Emodin suppresses inflammatory responses and joint destruction in collagen-induced arthritic miceJin Ki Hwang
Department of Oral Biochemistry, Wonkwang University, Iksan City, Jeonbuk, South Korea
Rheumatology (Oxford) 52:1583-91. 2013b>Emodin (3-methyl-1,6,8-trihydroxyanthraquinone) is one of the active components present in the root and rhizome of Rheum palmatum...
- Emodin inhibits growth and induces apoptosis in an orthotopic hepatocellular carcinoma model by blocking activation of STAT3Aruljothi Subramaniam
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore Molecular Toxicology Lab, Department of Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, India
Br J Pharmacol 170:807-21. 2013..Here, we have investigated whether emodin mediates its effect through interference with the STAT3 activation pathway in HCC.
- Emodin suppresses hyaluronic acid-induced MMP-9 secretion and invasion of glioma cellsMi Suk Kim
Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Korea
Int J Oncol 27:839-46. 2005b>Emodin, an inhibitor of protein tyrosine kinase, possesses antiviral, immunosuppressive, anti-inflammatory and anticancer effects...
- Destabilization of CARP mRNAs by aloe-emodin contributes to caspase-8-mediated p53-independent apoptosis of human carcinoma cellsMeng Liang Lin
Department of Medical Laboratory Science and Biotechnology, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Cell Biochem 112:1176-91. 2011..FaDu (human pharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma), Hep3B (hepatoma), and MG-63 (osteosarcoma) cells induced by aloe-emodin (AE) are p53-independent...
- Emodin inhibits invasion and migration of prostate and lung cancer cells by downregulating the expression of chemokine receptor CXCR4Sooho Ok
College of Oriental Medicine and Institute of Oriental Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 34:768-78. 2012b>Emodin (ED), an anthraquinone derivative, has been found to inhibit proliferation, induce apoptosis, suppress angiogenesis, impede metastasis, and enhance chemotherapy...
- Toxicity induced by emodin on zebrafish embryosQiuxia He
Biology Institute of Shandong Academy of Sciences, Jinan, Shandong, China
Drug Chem Toxicol 35:149-54. 2012b>Emodin, a widely available herbal remedy, has a variety of pharmacological actions and valuable clinical applications. The potential effect of emodin on zebrafish (Danio rerio) embryos was evaluated...
- Capillary electrophoresis for simultaneous determination of emodin, chrysophanol, and their 8-beta-D-glucosidesJunko Koyama
Kobe Pharmaceutical University, Higashinada ku, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 51:418-20. 2003The simultaneous separation and determination of the major anthraquinones, emodin, chrysophanol, and their glucosides, of Rumex japonicus HOUTT., and emodin and emodin glucoside, of Cassia tora L., Rhamnus purshiana DC...
- Synthesis, DNA binding and cytotoxicity of new pyrazole emodin derivativesJ H Tan
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510080, China
Eur J Med Chem 41:1041-7. 2006A series of new anthrapyrazoles were derived from emodin by attaching various cationic alkyl amino side chains onto a pyrazole ring which had been incorporated into the anthraquinone chromophore...
- Emodin with PPARgamma ligand-binding activity promotes adipocyte differentiation and increases glucose uptake in 3T3-Ll cellsYing Yang
Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai Institute of Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, 197 Ruijin Road II, Shanghai 200025, China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 353:225-30. 2007b>Emodin, one of the main active components in the root and rhizome of Rheum palmatum L, promoted the conversion of 3T3-L1 fibroblasts to adipocytes, as evidenced by increased glycerol-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GPDH) activity and the ..
- [Experimental study on anti-metastasis effect of emodin on human pancreatic cancer]An Liu
First People Hospital of Yueyang, Yueyang 414000, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 36:3167-71. 2011To investigate the anti-metastasis effect of emodin on the pancreatic cancer in vitro and in vivo.
- Inhibition kinetics and emodin cocrystal structure of a type II polyketide ketoreductaseTyler Paz Korman
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Biochemistry 47:1837-47. 2008..cocrystal structures of actinorhodin polyketide ketoreductase (actKR) bound with NADPH or NADP+ and the inhibitor emodin were solved with the wild type and P94L mutant of actKR, revealing the first observation of a bent p-quinone in an ..
- Apoptosis-inducing activity of new pyrazole emodin derivatives in human hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 cellsXiao Dong Wang
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1113-6. 2007A series of new pyrazole derivatives from emodin synthesized in our lab have been shown to have much stronger cytotoxicity than emodin against various tumor cell lines...
- Chemopreventive properties of aryl hydrocarbon receptor antagonistsHollie Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2007..cigarette smoke condensate can act as AHR agonists and that several dietary flavonoids, in particular, apigenin, emodin and kaempferol appear to act as effective AHR antagonists...
- Biomimetic Scaffolds for Abdominal Wall RepairAnshu Mathur; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Transmucosal Intra-Oral Drug Delivery System for THCMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Compositions for Prevention/Prophylactic Treatment of Poison Ivy DermatitisMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal addresses a major public health problem, namely contact allergic dermatitis and promises the development of an effective agent to address this problem. [unreadable] [unreadable]..