Genomes and Genes
Summary: Substances added to pharmaceutical preparations to protect them from chemical change or microbial action. They include ANTI-BACTERIAL AGENTS and antioxidants.
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Allergic contact dermatitis to preservativesVickie L Timm-Knudson
Department of Dermatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Dermatol Nurs 18:130-6. 2006..The Contact Allergen Replacement Database can help in this educational process by giving patients a shopping list of specific items that are free of the specific allergens causing their allergic contact dermatitis...
- Are multidose over-the-counter artificial tears adequately preserved?Colin Charnock
Department of Health Sciences, Oslo University College, Oslo, Norway
Cornea 25:432-7. 2006..Based on the challenge test outlined in the European Pharmacopoeia, products were tested in their original containers to see whether their component preservative had sufficient activity...
- Travoprost 0.004% with and without benzalkonium chloride: a comparison of safety and efficacyRichard A Lewis
Grutzmacher and Lewis, Inc, Sacramento, CA, USA
J Glaucoma 16:98-103. 2007..To compare the safety and efficacy of travoprost 0.004% without benzalkonium chloride (BAC) to that of the marketed formulation of travoprost 0.004% in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension...
- Contact sensitivity to preservatives in TurkeyAyse Boyvat
Ankara University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Ibni Sina Hastanesi, Samanpazari Ankara, Turkey
Contact Dermatitis 52:329-32. 2005..Although thimerosal caused a high rate of contact sensitivity, it may not be considered as an important allergen, because clinical relevance could not be found in any of the patients...
- Preservatives sensitivity in Israel: a 10-year overview (1995-2004)Lilach Zoller
Department of Dermatology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
Contact Dermatitis 55:227-9. 2006..Overall, this extensive survey showed a concerning increase in the sensitivity rates for MCI/MI, formaldehyde, and MDBGN...
- Effects of propyl paraben on the male reproductive systemS Oishi
Department of Toxicology, Tokyo Metropolitan Research Laboratory of Public Health, 3 24 1, Hyakunin cho, Shinjuku ku, Japan
Food Chem Toxicol 40:1807-13. 2002..The exposure level at which this effect was observed is the same as the upper-limit acceptable daily intake (10 mg/kg body weight/day) of parabens in the European Community and Japan...
- Refining aggregate exposure: example using parabensChristina E Cowan-Ellsberry
The Procter and Gamble Company, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 55:321-9. 2009..Comparison to the 95th percentile of these data showed that these refined estimates were still conservative by factors of 2-92. All of our refined estimates of aggregate exposure are less than the ADI of 10mg/kg/day for parabens...
- A review of the endocrine activity of parabens and implications for potential risks to human healthRobert Golden
ToxLogic LC, Potomac, Maryland 20854, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 35:435-58. 2005....
- Parabens as urinary biomarkers of exposure in humansXiaoyun Ye
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Environ Health Perspect 114:1843-6. 2006..In vivo and in vitro studies have revealed weak estrogenic activity of some parabens. Widespread use has raised concerns about the potential human health risks associated with paraben exposure...
- An assessment of thimerosal use in childhood vaccinesL K Ball
Division of Vaccines and Related Products Applications, Office of Vaccines Research and Review, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Foodand Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Pediatrics 107:1147-54. 2001..This action was prompted in part by a risk assessment from the Food and Drug Administration that is presented here...
- Safety assessment of propyl paraben: a review of the published literatureM G Soni
Burdock and Associates, Inc, 622 Beachland Blvd, Vero Beach, FL 32963, USA
Food Chem Toxicol 39:513-32. 2001..Allergic reactions to ingested parabens have been reported, although rigorous evidence of the allergenicity of ingested paraben is lacking...
- Multiple endpoint analysis of the 3D-reconstituted corneal epithelium after treatment with benzalkonium chloride: early detection of toxic damageAude Pauly
University of Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, UMR S592, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1644-52. 2009..To investigate the effects of benzalkonium chloride (BAK) on the human reconstituted corneal epithelial model (HCE) and to optimize the operating potential of this model in the field of ophthalmic toxicology...
- Mercury concentrations and metabolism in infants receiving vaccines containing thiomersal: a descriptive studyMichael E Pichichero
Department of Microbiology Immunology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 360:1737-41. 2002..We aimed to measure concentrations of mercury in blood, urine, and stools of infants who received such vaccines...
- In vitro effects of preservative-free tafluprost and preserved latanoprost, travoprost, and bimatoprost in a conjunctival epithelial cell lineEmmanuelle Brasnu
Department of Ophthalmology III, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris, France
Curr Eye Res 33:303-12. 2008....
- New tools for the evaluation of toxic ocular surface changes in the ratAude Pauly
INSERM Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U598, Cordeliers Biomedical Institute, University of Paris 5, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:5473-83. 2007..To assess the usefulness of noninvasive combined technologies used to observe ocular surface changes in toxicology studies...
- Comparison of toxicological profiles of benzalkonium chloride and polyquaternium-1: an experimental studyAntoine Labbe
Department of Ophthalmology III, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, and INSERM U598, Cordeliers Biomedical Institute, University of Paris 5, Paris, France
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 22:267-78. 2006..The aim of this study was to compare, in vivo on a rat model, two different preservatives- benzalkonium chloride (BAC) and polyquaternium-1 (PQ-1)-using new experimental approaches...
- In vitro studies of antiglaucomatous prostaglandin analogues: travoprost with and without benzalkonium chloride and preserved latanoprostChristophe Baudouin
Department of Ophthalmology 3, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:4123-8. 2007..004% containing 0.015% benzalkonium chloride (BAK), travoprost Z 0.004%, a new formulation without BAK, and latanoprost 0.005% containing 0.02% BAK...
- Assessment of corneal epithelial integrity after acute exposure to ocular hypotensive agents preserved with and without benzalkonium chlorideJess T Whitson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9057, USA
Adv Ther 23:663-71. 2006..004% preserved without BAK did not cause corneal epithelial toxicity; latanoprost 0.005% induced superficial cell loss, most likely caused by the presence of a relatively high concentration of BAK (0.02%)...
- In vitro comparison of cytoprotective and antioxidative effects of latanoprost, travoprost, and bimatoprost on conjunctiva-derived epithelial cellsJean Marc Guenoun
Department of Ophthalmology, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:4594-9. 2005....
- Comparison of the relative toxicity of travoprost 0.004% without benzalkonium chloride and latanoprost 0.005% in an immortalized human cornea epithelial cell culture systemRichard W Yee
Department of Ophthalmology Hermann Eye Center, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Adv Ther 23:511-9. 2006..004% preserved without BAK showed significantly less toxicity on HCEs than did latanoprost 0.005%. This difference may have ramifications in terms of tolerability for patients who use these topical glaucoma drugs on a long-term basis...
- In vitro study of inflammatory potential and toxicity profile of latanoprost, travoprost, and bimatoprost in conjunctiva-derived epithelial cellsJean Marc Guenoun
Department of Ophthalmology, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2444-50. 2005..e., conjunctival hyperemia)...
- Conjunctival proinflammatory and proapoptotic effects of latanoprost and preserved and unpreserved timolol: an ex vivo and in vitro studyPierre Jean Pisella
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Tours, Tours, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1360-8. 2004..The proapoptotic effect of the same drugs was also evaluated in vitro in a conjunctival cell line and compared with that of benzalkonium chloride (BAC)...
- Microbial contamination of preservative free eye drops in multiple application containersM Q Rahman
Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053, Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 90:139-41. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the incidence of microbial contamination of preservative free drops dispensed from multiusage containers...
- Mitochondrial activity and glutathione injury in apoptosis induced by unpreserved and preserved beta-blockers on Chang conjunctival cellsC Debbasch
Unité de Pharmaco Toxicologie Cellulaire, Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie CHNO des Quinze Vingts, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:2525-33. 2001....
- In vivo corneal epithelial permeability following treatment with prostaglandin analogs [correction of analoges] with or without benzalkonium chlorideBernard McCarey
Department of Ophthalmology, Emory University Eye Center, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 23:445-51. 2007..Agents such as travoprost Z with an alternative preservative decreased the epithelial toxicity associated with the long-term use of IOP-lowering agents preserved with BAK...
- Detrimental effect of preservatives in eyedrops: implications for the treatment of glaucomaChristophe Baudouin
Department of Ophthalmology III, Quinze Vingts National Ophthalmology Hospital, Paris, France
Acta Ophthalmol 86:716-26. 2008..Collectively, these data suggest that preservative-free antiglaucoma treatments have clinically relevant benefits for patients...
- Comparison of corneal and conjunctival changes after dosing of travoprost preserved with sofZia, latanoprost with 0.02% benzalkonium chloride, and preservative-free artificial tearsMalik Y Kahook
Department of Ophthalmology, The Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Cornea 27:339-43. 2008..To evaluate corneal and conjunctival changes after chronic, once-daily dosing of travoprost preserved with sofZia, latanoprost preserved with 0.02% benzalkonium chloride (BAK), or preservative-free artificial tears...
- Comparison of paraben stability in human and rat skinHeather M Harville
Department of Pharmacokinetics, Dynamics and Metabolism, Pfizer Global Research and Development, 2800 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Drug Metab Lett 1:17-21. 2007..The typical cutaneous metabolism model, rat skin, hydrolyzes parabens much faster than human skin. Chronic application and absorption of parabens, combined with low metabolism rates, may lead to prolonged estrogenic effects in the skin...
- Endocrine disrupters and human health: could oestrogenic chemicals in body care cosmetics adversely affect breast cancer incidence in women?Philip W Harvey
Department of Toxicology, Covance Laboratories Ltd, Otley Road, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG3 1PY, UK
J Appl Toxicol 24:167-76. 2004..The exposure issues are clear and the exposed population is large, and these factors should provide the necessary impetus to investigate this potential issue of public health...
- Concentrations of parabens in human breast tumoursP D Darbre
Division of Cell and Molecular Biology, School of Animal and Microbial Sciences, University of Reading, Reading RG6 6AJ, UK
J Appl Toxicol 24:5-13. 2004....
- Neurotoxic character of thimerosal and the allometric extrapolation of adult clearance half-time to infantsL Magos
J Appl Toxicol 23:263-9. 2003..Blood mercury concentrations observed after vaccination showed agreement with allometrically extrapolated concentrations...
- Significance of the detection of esters of p-hydroxybenzoic acid (parabens) in human breast tumoursPhilip W Harvey
J Appl Toxicol 24:1-4. 2004..the toxicology of these compounds and 4). the limitations of the existing toxicology database and the need to consider data that is appropriate to human exposures...
- Thimerosal and autism? A plausible hypothesis that should not be dismissedMark F Blaxill
Safe Minds Sensible Action For Ending Mercury Induced Neurological Disorders, 14 Commerce Drive, PH Cranford, New Jersey 07016, USA
Med Hypotheses 62:788-94. 2004..We provide evidence here to refute the Nelson and Bauman critique and to defend the autism-mercury hypothesis...
- Parabens: a review of epidemiology, structure, allergenicity, and hormonal propertiesAllison L Cashman
University of Minnesota, School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN, and the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Dermatitis 16:57-66; quiz 55-6. 2005..The epidemiology, structural properties, allergenicity, hormonal properties, and hypotheses regarding the "paraben paradox" are addressed in this review...
- Thiomersal in vaccines: a regulatory perspective WHO Consultation, Geneva, 15-16 April 2002I Knezevic
Department of Vaccines and Biologicals, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Vaccine 22:1836-41. 2004
- Hepatitis B vaccine coverage among infants born to women without prenatal screening for hepatitis B virus infection: effects of the Joint Statement on Thimerosal in VaccinesAnn R Thomas
Oregon Department of Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Epidemiology, 800 NE Oregon Street, Suite 772, Portland, OR 97232, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:313-8. 2004..We investigated the effect of these recommendation changes on the management of Oregon infants born to women whose HBsAg status was "unknown."..
- Allergic contact dermatitis from methyldibromo glutaronitrile--clinical cases from 2003C Zachariae
Department of Dermatology, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 52:6-8. 2005..p.m. to 473 p.p.m. MDBGN in products used by the patients. Based on the present clinical study and accumulated evidence in the literature, it is concluded that MDBGN is not suitable for use in any type of cosmetic product...
- Thimerosal--is it really irrelevant?Dan Slodownik
Department of Dermatology, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Contact Dermatitis 53:324-6. 2005..0001). Although previous reports found thimerosal highly irrelevant, our daily experience being supported by the above data indicates that positive reactions to thimerosal could be relevant for many patients...
- Cosmetic dermatitis in Chinese eczema patients patch tested with a modified European standard series of allergensWen Hui Wang
Department of Dermatology, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing, China
Contact Dermatitis 53:314-9. 2005..These results suggested that CACD is very common in CEP patch tested. PPD and FM are the leading allergens identified. CACD should be strongly considered in CEP with positive PT reactions to PPD, FM and imidazolidinylurea...
- Comparison of the efficacy and safety of two formulations of diclofenac sodium 0.1% eyedrops in controlling postoperative inflammation after cataract surgeryB Bodaghi
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Eur J Ophthalmol 15:702-11. 2005..1% eyedrops, in controlling postoperative inflammation after cataract surgery...
- Patch testing with methyldibromo glutaronitrile, a multicentre study within the EECDRGB Gruvberger
Department of Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Contact Dermatitis 52:14-8. 2005....
- Repeated open application test with methyldibromo glutaronitrile, a multicentre study within the EECDRGB Gruvberger
Department of Occupational and Environmental Dermatology, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Contact Dermatitis 52:19-23. 2005..The study demonstrates that patch testing with MDBGN at 0.3% and 0.1% will miss clinically relevant patch test reactions to MDBGN...
- Application of a capillary electrophoresis method for simultaneous determination of preservatives in pharmaceutical formulationsMałgorzata Jaworska
Department of Biochemistry and Biopharmaceuticals, National Institute of Public Health, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
J Sep Sci 28:137-43. 2005..The method was successfully validated and applied to the determination of preservatives in a number of pharmaceuticals. Results from the CE method were compared with those from reference methods...
- Systematic study of factors affecting eye drop size and dosing variabilityZ Sklubalova
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Pharmazie 60:917-21. 2005..3%. Using a dispensing angle of 45 degrees from horizontal led to a decrease in drop volume and, in addition, to greater volume variability due to the formation of air bubbles inside the dropper tip chamber...
- Quantitative patch and repeated open application testing in methyldibromo glutaronitrile-sensitive patientsA Schnuch
Information Network of Department of Dermatology IVDK, University of Gottingen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 52:197-206. 2005..By contrast, with other contact allergens, dose-response use tests may be able to identify a non-eliciting concentration, which could give valuable clues to a non-inducing (i.e., safe) concentration in products...
- Contact allergy to methyldibromo glutaronitrile--data from a 'front line' networkJeanne D Johansen
National Allergy Research Centre, Gentofte Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 52:138-41. 2005....
- Bindi dermatitis due to thimerosal and gallate mixC Laxmisha
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:1370-2. 2006
- Is the irritant benzalkonium chloride a contact allergen? A contribution to the ongoing debate from a clinical perspectiveWolfgang Uter
Department of Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 58:359-63. 2008..Benzalkonium chloride (BAC) is a well-recognized irritant. However, doubts exist that it is also a contact allergen...
- Patients with vulval pruritus: patch test resultsSerap Utas
Department of Dermatology, Medical Faculty, Erciyes University, 38039 Kayseri, Turkey
Contact Dermatitis 58:296-8. 2008..Allergic contact sensitivity is an important factor in such patients but may also occur as a secondary event in women with vulval dermatoses...
- Breakdown evaluation of corneal epithelial barrier caused by antiallergic eyedrops using an electrophysiologic methodMikiro Nakashima
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 24:43-51. 2008..The aim of this study was to examine the usefulness of an electrophysiologic method for predicting corneal epithelial breakdown by antiallergic eyedrops and comparing the results with those in other appraisal methods...
- Trabeculectomy trapdoor separation with allergic periorbital dermatitis: an unusual late-onset complication of guarded filtration surgeryKenneth G J Ooi
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 35:578-9. 2007....
- Corneal critical barrier against the penetration of dexamethasone and lomefloxacin hydrochloride: evaluation by the activation energy for drug partition and diffusion in corneaShin ichi Yasueda
Senju Pharmaceutical Co, LTD Hiranomachi, Chuo Ku, Osaka, Japan
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 33:805-11. 2007..Thermodynamic evaluation of activation energy for the drug permeation parameters is a good approach to investigate the mechanism of drug permeability...
- [Conditions bordering on allergy]C Baudouin
Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, Service d ophtalmologie 3, 28 rue de Charenton, 75012 Paris
J Fr Ophtalmol 30:306-13. 2007....
- Cross-reactions among parabens, para-phenylenediamine, and benzocaine: a retrospective analysis of patch testingIrina Turchin
McGill University Health Centre, Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal, PQ, Canada
Dermatitis 17:192-5. 2006..Cross-reactions with para-amino compounds, namely, benzocaine and para-phenylenediamine (PPD), have been reported but are thought to be extremely rare...
- Effect of formulation factors on in-vitro permeation of diclofenac from experimental and marketed aqueous eye drops through excised goat corneaMunish Ahuja
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology, Haryana, India
Yakugaku Zasshi 126:1369-75. 2006..The marketed formulations showed corneal hydration >83% suggesting corneal damaging potential...
- Formulation and in vitro evaluation of cysteamine hydrochloride viscous solutions for the treatment of corneal cystinosisSibel Bozdag
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Hacettepe University, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 70:260-9. 2008..2% and 85.3% of CH were released from the viscous solutions containing 1.5% and 1% HPMC, respectively, in 8h. No irritation was observed when the viscous solutions were tested on rabbit and human eyes...
- Conjunctival markers as predictable markers for preoperative glaucoma assessmentP J Pisella
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1335-6. 2006
- Identification and classification of skin sensitizers: identifying false positives and false negativesDavid A Basketter
Safety and Environmental Assurance Centre, Unilever, Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, UK
Contact Dermatitis 55:268-73. 2006....
- Allergic contact dermatitis from propylene glycol ricinoleate in a lipstickJunko Sowa
Department of Dermatology, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Daido Hospital, Toyoake, Aichi 470 1192, Japan
Contact Dermatitis 48:228-9. 2003
- Conjunctival and corneal reactions in rabbits following short- and repeated exposure to preservative-free tafluprost, commercially available latanoprost and 0.02% benzalkonium chlorideH Liang
Department of Toxicology, Faculty of Biological and Pharmacological Sciences, University Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1275-82. 2008..To compare the conjunctival and corneal reactions of commercially available solution of latanoprost (Xalatan) and preservative-free (PF) tafluprost in rabbits...
- Comparison of the short-term effects on the human corneal surface of topical timolol maleate with and without benzalkonium chlorideTakeshi Ishibashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
J Glaucoma 12:486-90. 2003..To compare the short-term effects of timolol maleate with and without preservative (0.005% benzalkonium chloride) on pre-corneal tear film stability and corneal epithelial barrier function...
- Allergic contact dermatitis due to propylene glycol and parabens in an ultrasonic gelPatricia Eguino
Department of Dermatology, Cruces Hospital, 48903 Barakaldo, Bizkaia, Spain
Contact Dermatitis 48:290. 2003
- [Effect of preservatives on the conjunctiva: a comparative study of beta-blocker eye drops with and without preservatives in glaucoma patients]P J Pisella
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU de Tours, Hopital Bretonneau, 2, boulevard Tonnelle, 37044 Tours Cedex 1
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:675-9. 2003..To compare the effect of timolol with or without preservatives on the conjunctival epithelium of glaucoma patients...
- Corneal and conjunctival changes caused by commonly used glaucoma medicationsRobert J Noecker
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85711, USA
Cornea 23:490-6. 2004..To evaluate the extent of epithelial corneal and conjunctival changes associated with prolonged use of topical glaucoma medications...
- Allergic contact dermatitis caused by parabens in a compressN Oiso
Department of Dermatology, Saiseikai Tondabayashi Hospital, 1 3 36 Koyodai, Tondabayashi, Osaka 584 0082, Japan
Contact Dermatitis 50:317. 2004
- Allergic contact dermatitis from mercury antiseptics and derivatives: study protocol of tolerance to intramuscular injections of thimerosalMaria Teresa Audicana
Department of Allergy and Immunology, Santiago Apostol Hospital, Vitoria Gasteiz, Spain
Am J Contact Dermat 13:3-9. 2002..Mercury derivatives are frequent contact allergens and their cross-reactivity is not constant. Thimerosal is an organic mercurial used as an antiseptic and as a preservative in most vaccines...
- Contact allergy to corticosteroids in patients using inhaled or intranasal corticosteroids for allergic rhinitis or asthmaM L Bennett
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine and the Skin Surgery Center, Winston-Salem, NC 27106, USA
Am J Contact Dermat 12:193-6. 2001..The corticosteroids or added agents such as preservatives can be causative and may result in allergic or irritant reactions, which can be relevant to clinical symptoms...
- Occupational allergic contact dermatitis due to thimerosalMarta Kiec-Swierczynska
Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, 8 Sw Teresy St, 90 950 Lodz, Poland
Contact Dermatitis 48:337-8. 2003
- [Flow cytometric analysis of HLA-DR, IL-6 and IL-8 expression by conjunctival epithelial cells from patients with prolonged topical antiglaucoma treatments]L Bensoussan
Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, EA 3123 Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6
J Fr Ophtalmol 26:782-9. 2003..To investigate the expression of three inflammation markers, HLA-DR, IL-6, and IL-8, by conjunctival epithelial cells obtained using impression cytology (IC) samples from long-term treated glaucoma patients...
- Methyldibromoglutaronitrile in rinse-off products causes allergic contact dermatitis: an experimental studyC D Jensen
Department of Dermatology, Odense University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Sdr Boulevard 29, 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 150:90-5. 2004..Most cases of allergic contact dermatitis from MDBGN are caused by leave-on cosmetic products. The risk of developing allergic contact dermatitis from rinse-off products has been less studied...
- Allergic contact dermatitis from 3-iodo-2-propynyl-butylcarbamate (IPBC) - an updateL E Bryld
Department of Dermatology, Gentofte University Hospital, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 44:276-8. 2001..2 of the 7 reported cases with IPBC allergy were also found positive to thiuram, and possible cross-reactivity between IPBC and thiuram is discussed...
- [The tolerability of nasal drugs with special regard to preservatives and physico-chemical parameters]Th Verse
Universitäts Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik Mannheim
Laryngorhinootologie 82:782-9. 2003..New pharmaceutical formulations for better tolerable nasal sprays are now possible and consequently reformulations introduced to the market. Therefore, a representative and systematic overview on comparable products is mandatory...
- Thimerosal in the detection of clinically relevant allergic contact reactionsT Suneja
Division of Dermatology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 45:23-7. 2001....
- Corneal punctate staining with latanoprost, bimatoprost, and travoprost in healthy subjectsWilliam C Stewart
Pharmaceutical Research Network, Charleston, SC 29412 2464, USA
J Glaucoma 12:475-9. 2003..To evaluate short-term conjunctival and corneal punctate staining with latanoprost, bimatoprost, and travoprost in healthy individuals...
- Effects of anti-inflammatory drugs and preservatives on morphologic characteristics and migration of canine corneal epithelial cells in tissue cultureDiane V H Hendrix
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences University of Tennessee, Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Knoxville, 37996 4544, USA
Vet Ophthalmol 5:127-35. 2002..To determine the effects of commonly used ophthalmic corticosteroids, suprofen, polysulfated glycosaminoglycan and preservatives on morphologic characteristics and migration of canine corneal epithelium grown in cell culture...
- [Ocular tolerance of a new formulation of nonpreserved diclofenac]F Chiambaretta
Service d Ophtalmologie, CHU de Clermont Ferrand, Hopital Gabriel Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:739-44. 2004..To compare the ocular tolerance of nonpreserved diclofenac versus thiomersal-preserved diclofenac in healthy volunteers...
- Iodopropynyl butylcarbamateSonia Badreshia
Department of Dermatology, Penn State University College of Medicine, The Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA
Am J Contact Dermat 13:77-9. 2002..As the use of this seemingly safe preservative becomes vast, an increased number of cases of IPBC-induced contact allergy is likely...
- Iodopropynylbutyl carbamate 0.2% is suggested for patch testing of patients with eczema possibly related to preservativesJ Brasch
Department of Dermatology, University of Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Br J Dermatol 151:608-15. 2004..Although cases of allergic contact dermatitis to IPBC have been reported, it is not known whether the usual test concentration of 0.1% is appropriate for screening tests with IPBC...
- A comparison of the effects of ocular preservatives on mammalian and microbial ATP and glutathione levelsPaul R Ingram
Department of Immunology, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Free Radic Res 38:739-50. 2004..The lower toxicity of NaClO2 to the ocular cells, compared with BAK and H2O2, is in agreement with fewer reported adverse effects of application in the eye...
- [Contact sensitization to external agents]S M Erdmann
Hautklinik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Aachen
Hautarzt 54:331-7. 2003..Because of the extremely broad spectrum covered by the active and adjuvant ingredients contained in external agents, the following discussion focuses on specific substance groups...
- National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI). Statement on thimerosalIan Gemmill
Can Commun Dis Rep 29:1-10. 2003
- Cytoprotective effects of hyaluronic acid and Carbomer 934P in ocular surface epithelial cellsCaroline Debbasch
Cellular Pharmacotoxicology Unit, Toxicology Laboratory, Quinze Vingts, National Hospital Center for Ophthalmology, Ambroise Paré AP HP, University of Paris V, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3409-15. 2002..To investigate in vitro the cell toxicity and antioxidant effects of two major tear substitutes, hyaluronic acid and a widely used carbomer, with and without preservative...
- What's new in contact dermatitis: allergy to topical steroids in Israeli patients with contact dermatitisArieh Ingber
Department of Dermatology, Hadassah University Hospital, Hebrew University Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:867. 2002
- Chlorobutanol: maternal serum levels and placental transfer in the mouseI W Smoak
Department of Anatomy, Physiological Sciences and Radiology, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh 27606, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 39:287-90. 1997..Placental transfer, as demonstrated here in the mouse, may allow embryonic accumulation of CB to potentially toxic levels...
- Recent advances in drugs and prodrugs design of chitosanJ Vinsova
Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University, Czech Republic, Heyrovskeho 1203, 500 05 Hradec Kralove
Curr Pharm Des 14:1311-26. 2008..The design of chitosan macromolecule prodrugs is also discussed...
- Formulation of a liquid ovine Fab-based antivenom for the treatment of envenomation by the Nigerian carpet viper (Echis ocellatus)Ibrahim Al-Abdulla
MicroPharm Ltd, 51 53 Bartholomew Close, London EC1A 7BE
Toxicon 42:399-404. 2003....
- Possible adverse reactions to preservatives in high-dose pyridoxine hydrochloride i.v. injectionAnthony M Burda
Illinois Poison Center, 222 South Riverside, Plaza, Suite 1900, Chicago, IL 60606, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 59:1886-7. 2002
- A further characteristic of susceptibility to contact allergy: sensitization to a weak contact allergen is associated with polysensitization. Results of the IVDKAxel Schnuch
Information Network of Departments of Dermatology IVDK, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Contact Dermatitis 56:331-7. 2007..PS can be regarded as a phenotype to be considered in genetic studies...
- Epithelial activity of hexokinase and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase in cultured bovine lenses recovering from pharmaceutical-induced optical damageAndrew T E Hartwick
School of Optometry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Mol Vis 9:594-600. 2003..This work investigated the epithelial activity of the metabolic enzymes hexokinase (HK) and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) in lenses recovering from anesthetic-induced damage...
- Effect of propyl paraben on the dipalmitoyl phosphatidic acid vesiclesLata Panicker
Solid State Physics Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400 085, India
J Colloid Interface Sci 311:407-16. 2007..However, the transition temperatures of these new phases are not significantly changed with increasing PPB concentration. The effect of inclusion of cholesterol in the PPB-free and PPB-doped DPPA dispersion was also studied...
- Trefoil factor family 1, MUC5AC and human leucocyte antigen-DR expression by conjunctival cells in patients with glaucoma treated with chronic drugs: could these markers predict the success of glaucoma surgery?M Souchier
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hopital General, 21000 Dijon, France
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1366-9. 2006....
- Partitioning of parabens between phases of submicron emulsions stabilized with egg lecithinDorota Watrobska-Swietlikowska
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Medical University of Gdansk, Hallera 107, Gdansk 80 416, Poland
Int J Pharm 312:174-8. 2006..e. 3.0-6.0% for both preservatives. Substantial accumulation, i.e. 38-58% was found in the interface and the partitioning into this region was related to the oil/lecithin ratio rather than to lipophilicity of the preservative...
- Intracameral antibiotics: questions for the United States based on prospective studiesThomas J Liesegang
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida 32224, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:505-9. 2008..A multipronged approach to limit endophthalmitis risk is also needed, with antibiotics as only part of the strategy...
- A rabbit dry eye model induced by topical medication of a preservative benzalkonium chlorideCuiju Xiong
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1850-6. 2008..To establish a rabbit dry eye model with topical medication of the ocular preparation preservative benzalkonium chloride (BAC)...
- The importance of the cosolvent propylene glycol on the antimicrobial preservative efficacy of a pharmaceutical formulation by DOE-ruggedness testingB De Spiegeleer
Drug Quality and Registration DruQuaR Group, Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
Pharm Dev Technol 11:275-84. 2006..It was concluded that the cosolvent propylene glycol is at least of equal preservative importance than both parabens...
- Comparison of the effects of fourth-generation fluoroquinolones on corneal re-epithelialization in rabbit eyesMajid Moshirfar
John A Moran Eye Center, Old Mill Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84121, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:1455-61. 2008..005% benzalkonium chloride, whereas moxifloxacin is unpreserved. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of commercially prepared topical gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin on corneal re-epithelialization in rabbit eyes...
- Neurotoxicity of intra-arterial papaverine preserved with chlorobutanol used for the treatment of cerebral vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhageWade S Smith
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco, Calif 94134 0114, USA
Stroke 35:2518-22. 2004..Papaverine is used to vasodilate cerebral arteries undergoing vasospasm from subarachnoid hemorrhage. However, papaverine inhibits cellular respiration in vitro and could cause neurotoxicity in humans...
- Biodegradation of thiomersal containing effluents by a mercury resistant Pseudomonas putida strainRaquel Fortunato
REQUIMTE CQFB, Department of Chemistry, FCT, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2829 516 Caparica, Portugal
Water Res 39:3511-22. 2005..022 to 0.1 h(-1)...
- [Structural and immunohistochemical changes of conjunctiva induced by topical glaucoma medication]A Nenciu
Clinica de Oftalmologie Spitalul Clinic de Urgeţă Militar Central Dr Carol Davila, Bucuresti
Oftalmologia 48:35-42. 2004..The topical medication represents the first line therapy for the primary open angle glaucoma. The study is aimed at assessing the structural and immunohistochemical changes of conjunctiva induced by topical glaucoma medication...
- Ocular preservatives: associated risks and newer optionsIndu Pal Kaur
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 28:93-103. 2009..Reasons for discontinuing traditional preservatives and the need for less-toxic molecules are discussed at length, along with newer options coming up in this area...
- Evaluation of the frequency of contact allergic reactions to Kathon CG in the Maastricht area--1987-1990G P Lucker
Department of Dermatology, State University Hospital, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Dermatology 184:90-3. 1992..Of these patients, 84 (8.4%) showed a positive reaction (70% females). In 62% of these cases clinical relevance was established. Most of them suffered from contact dermatitis of the face, the hands or the perianal region...
- ENHANCING MUCOSAL IMMUNE RESPONSES BY MICROENCAPSULATIONPaul Offit; Fiscal Year: 2005..The availability of microencapsulated virus provides a unique opportunity to understand the relationship between APC and protective mucosal immune responses. ..
- Prenatal Exposure to Polyfluoroalkyl Compounds in the EMA StudyLisa A Croen; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the long-term, a better understanding of the underlying biology may suggest appropriate strategies for early intervention and contribute to the eventual prevention of this often devastating and usually life-long disability. ..
- The Role of BCL-2 in Corneal Epithelial Cell SheddingDANIELLE ROBERTSON; Fiscal Year: 2008..4) That events leading to increased apoptosis such as UV light signal surface cell apoptosis through the phosphorylation of BCL-2. ..
- METHANOL EXPOSURE EFFECTS ON PRIMATE DEVELOPMENTTHOMAS BURBACHER; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- OCULAR HYPERTENSION TREATMENT STUDY (OHTS)Ronald Gross; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- 9th International Neurotoxicology Assoc (INA9) MeetingMichael Aschner; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- IN SITU LIGATION FOR DETECTION OF SPECIFIC DNA DAMAGEDavid Baskin; Fiscal Year: 2001..It, therefore, can be used in molecular and cell biology research, as well as by clinicians in many fields, including pathology oncology, cardiology and the clinical neurosciences. ..
- DETERMINING/UNDERSTANDING BARRIERS TO ADULT IMMUNIZATIONRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will furnish relevant, up-to-date to enhance policy planning, practice management and medical education. ..
- MODELS FOR TESTING CANDIDATE TOPICAL MICROBICIDES FOR CYTOTOXICITY AND ACTIVITY AMary Lampe; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF METHYLMERCURYTHOMAS BURBACHER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed studies take full advantage of the history of these monkeys and represents the best possible use of this valuable resource. ..
- VOLTAGE SENSITIVE CALCIUM CHANNELS IN BRAIN INJURYRobert Berman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Prenatal and Neonatal Biologic Markers for AutismLisa Croen; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of capacitative calcium entry in porcine oocytesZoltan Machaty; Fiscal Year: 2008..By using the animals with specific genetic alterations it will be possible to better understand the mechanism of diseases and develop new and effective therapies. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- COLLABORATIVE INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENT STUDYRonald Gross; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Nonlinear Acoustic Fields in Tissue Mimicking MediaTimothy Stiles; Fiscal Year: 2007..3) Assessment of accuracy of numerical methods for models related to imaging: TM liquids with greater attenuation coefficient, including 0.5 and 0.7 dB/cm/MHz, obstetrical, and other tissue models. ..
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF THE THIEL-BEHNKE CORNEAL DYSTROPHYRichard Yee; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Regulation of GRP94: Targeting Novel Cancer TherapeuticsJeffrey Baker; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, the proposed analysis will lead to a greater understanding of GRP94 as a novel anti-cancer target. ..
- Maternal fatty acids, birth weight and child developmentEmily Oken; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Bio-Psych Stress Measure Associations and Preterm BirthGwen Latendresse; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..