Summary: Drugs whose drug name is not protected by a trademark. They may be manufactured by several companies.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- A comparative analysis of generics markets in five European countriesL Garattini
Center for Health Economics CESAV, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacolological Research, Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Health Policy 51:149-62. 2000..Such an environment has stimulate the success of unbranded generics by delegating strong purchasing power to distributors...
- Assessment of prescribing information for generic drugs manufactured in the Middle East and marketed in Saudi ArabiaNicole Gebran
Pharmacy Department, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 26:192-9. 2006..We assessed the quality of written prescribing information for selected generic drugs marketed in Saudi Arabia and manufactured in various countries of the Middle East.
- Patients' attitudes towards and experiences of generic drug substitution in NorwayInge Kjoenniksen
Institute for Pharmacy Practice Research, Kalfarveien 31, N 5018, Bergen, Norway
Pharm World Sci 28:284-9. 2006..The aim of the study was to assess patients' attitudes towards and experiences of generic substitution 3 years after generic substitution of prescription medicines was permitted in Norway...
- Compulsory generic switching of antiepileptic drugs: high switchback rates to branded compounds compared with other drug classesFrederick Andermann
Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Epilepsia 48:464-9. 2007....
- Potential savings from substituting generic drugs for brand-name drugs: medical expenditure panel survey, 1997-2000Jennifer S Haas
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Division of General Medicine and Primary Care, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:891-7. 2005..Generic substitution is one mechanism of curtailing prescription drug expenditures. Limited information is available about the potential savings associated with generic substitution...
- Financial incentives and physicians' prescription decisions on the choice between brand-name and generic drugs: evidence from TaiwanYa Ming Liu
Department of Economics, College of Social Sciences, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Road, Tainan 70101, Taiwan
J Health Econ 28:341-9. 2009..As a result, the providers instead of the payers or consumers reap the financial benefits of generic substitution...
- The implications of choice: prescribing generic or preferred pharmaceuticals improves medication adherence for chronic conditionsWilliam H Shrank
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:332-7. 2006..We studied whether patients enrolled in such plans who receive generic or preferred brand-name agents when initiating chronic therapy were more adherent to treatment than those who received nonpreferred brand-name medications...
- The unlicensed lives of antidepressants in India: generic drugs, unqualified practitioners, and floating prescriptionsStefan Ecks
University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Transcult Psychiatry 46:86-106. 2009....
- Examining the production costs of antiretroviral drugsEloan Pinheiro
Department of HIV AIDS, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 20:1745-52. 2006....
- [Generic drugs in psychopharmacology: pros and cons]E Cuenca
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Medicina, Alcala de Henares, Madrid, 28871, Espana
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 27:351-7. 1999Legislation to facilitate process for generic products has been enacted and generic drugs have entered the market soon after the patent for the brand-name agent have expired...
- What are the obstacles to generic substitution? An assessment of the behaviour of prescribers, patients and pharmacies during the first year of generic substitution in SwedenKarolina Andersson
Department of Social Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 14:341-8. 2005..The aim of the present study was to investigate obstacles to generic substitution and savings achieved during the first year after Sweden introduced generic substitution in October 2002...
- Quality evaluation of generic drugs by dissolution test: changing the USP dissolution medium to distinguish between active and non-active mebendazole polymorphsErna Swanepoel
Research Institute for Industrial Pharmacy, Potchefstroom University for CHE, Potchefstroom, South Africa
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 55:345-9. 2003....
- [Availability of generic drugs in the public sector and prices in the private sector in different regions of Brazil]Elaine Silva Miranda
Escola Nacional de Saude Publica Sergio Arouca, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 25:2147-58. 2009..It is estimated that price competition is occurring among bioequivalent generic drugs and between them and multisource products for the same substance, but not with reference brands.
- Pharmaceutical policy regarding generic drugs in BelgiumSteven Simoens
Centre for Drug and Patient Information, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Pharmacoeconomics 23:755-66. 2005..However, in Belgium, the market for generic drugs is underdeveloped compared with other countries...
- Extensions of intellectual property rights and delayed adoption of generic drugs: effects on medicaid spendingAaron S Kesselheim
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:1637-47. 2006..amoxicillin/clavulanate, metformin, and omeprazole, we calculated the savings that could have been realized if generic drugs had been available and fully substituted at their lowest cost when IP protection first expired (an average ..
- The ongoing regulation of generic drugsRichard G Frank
Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1993-6. 2007
- Beliefs about generic drugs among elderly adults in hospital-based primary care practicesAlice Iosifescu
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Patient Educ Couns 73:377-83. 2008This study aimed to characterize seniors' beliefs about generic drugs, and examine potential correlates of these beliefs, including socioeconomic and health status variables, health literacy, and physician communication skills.
- Multiple functions of generic drugs: future perspectives of aureolic acid group of anti-cancer antibiotics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugsHirak Chakraborty
Chemical Sciences Division and Biophysics Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, India
Mini Rev Med Chem 8:331-49. 2008Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and aureolic acid group of anti-cancer drugs belong to the class of generic drugs. Research with some members of these two groups of drugs in different laboratories has unveiled functions other than ..
- [Beer-Fick criteria and generic drugs in Brazil]Milton Luiz Gorzoni
Departamento de Clinica Medica, disciplina de Gerontologia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Santa Casa de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP
Rev Assoc Med Bras 54:353-6. 2008..Determine, according to the Beer-Fick criteria, the prevalence of drugs potentially inappropriate for the elderly available as generic medication in Brazil...
- Multiple validated measures of adherence indicate high levels of adherence to generic HIV antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited settingJessica H Oyugi
Epidemiology and Prevention Interventions Center and San Francisco General Hospital AIDS Program, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:1100-2. 2004..There are no validated measures of adherence to HIV antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings. Such measures are essential to understand the unique barriers to adherence as access to HIV antiretroviral therapy expands...
- Brand versus generic alendronate: gastrointestinal effects measured by resource utilizationHillel Halkin
Chairman, Formulary Committee, Maccabi Healthcare Services, Tel Aviv, Israel Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
Ann Pharmacother 41:29-34. 2007..Adverse reactions related to the upper gastrointestinal tract (UGIT) that are associated with generic alendronate formulations may differ from those associated with the brand drug...
- Sustaining access to antiretroviral therapy in the less-developed world: lessons from Brazil and ThailandNathan Ford
Medecins Sans Frontieres, 522 Mooban Nakorn Thai 14, Ladphrao Soi 101 1, Bangkok 10240, Thailand
AIDS 21:S21-9. 2007..LOCAL PRODUCTION OF AFFORDABLE, NON-PATENTED DRUGS: Many older antiretroviral drugs are not patented in either country and affordable generic versions are manufactured by local pharmaceutical institutes...
- Disintegration/dissolution profiles of copies of Fosamax (alendronate)S Epstein
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 19:781-9. 2003..We performed a pilot study to compare the disintegration/dissolution profiles of FOSAMAX (alendronate) 70 mg tablets with those of copies of FOSAMAX that were manufactured outside the United States...
- [Generic drug prescribing: pilot study on the impact of the new drug pricing system on costs and potential savings]J B Wasserfallen
Unité d évaluation technologique, Direction médicale, Service de Pharmacie, CHUV, Lausanne
Rev Med Suisse 2:865-6, 868-71. 2006..In this specific setting, savings linked with forced generic drug prescription was weak (4 to 5%), and the expected savings of the new drug pricing system were not observed...
- Is there a relationship between patient beliefs or communication about generic drugs and medication utilization?William H Shrank
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02120, USA
Med Care 47:319-25. 2009..Insurers and policymakers strive to stimulate more cost-effective prescribing and, increasingly, are educating beneficiaries about generics...
- Generic drugs in Brazil: known by many, used by fewAndrea D Bertoldi
Programa de Pós Graduação em Epidemiologia, Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, Brasil
Cad Saude Publica 21:1808-15. 2005This study evaluated knowledge and use of generic drugs in a population-based sample of adults from a southern Brazilian city...
- Employer drug benefit plans and spending on prescription drugsGeoffrey F Joyce
RAND Health, 1700 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90407 2138, USA
JAMA 288:1733-9. 2002..It is unknown how these initiatives affect drug costs...
- The generic alternative in schizophrenia: opportunity or threat?Philippe Nuss
Psychiatry Department, Hopital St Antoine, Paris 75012, France
CNS Drugs 18:769-75. 2004..The availability of generic drugs is widely regarded as an opportunity to reduce expenditure on drug costs and deploy limited resources more ..
- Bioequivalence and other unresolved issues in generic drug substitutionPeter Meredith
University Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Western Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 25:2875-90. 2003Substitution of generic drugs for brand-name products is highly controversial and often is met with suspicion by health care providers and patients...
- The importance of the physician in the generic versus trade-name prescription decisionJ K Hellerstein
University of Maryland, USA
Rand J Econ 29:108-36. 1998I examine the importance of physicians in the process by which patients receive either trade-name or generic drugs. Using a dataset on physicians, their patients, and the multisource drugs prescribed, I find that almost all physicians ..
- Differences in persistence among different weekly oral bisphosphonate medicationsO Sheehy
Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics Research Unit, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, 3850 Saint Urbain, Pavillon Masson, Montreal, QC H2W 1T7, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:1369-76. 2009..Persistence to weekly oral preparations remains suboptimal, particularly in patients who receive generic alendronate. Alternative solutions are needed to improve the real life effectiveness of osteoporosis therapies...
- Are there potential problems with generic substitution of antiepileptic drugs? A review of issuesP Crawford
York Hospital, Wigginton Road, York YO31 8HE, UK
Seizure 15:165-76. 2006....
- Current approaches to the use of generic antiepileptic drugsG Kramer
Swiss Epilepsy Center, Bleulerstrasse 60, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Epilepsy Behav 11:46-52. 2007..Both physicians and patients have a right to be informed and approve before pharmacists make a generic substitution or switch between generics...
- Side effects of generic competition?Jörgen Hellström
Department of Economics, Umea University, Sweden
Eur J Health Econ 5:203-8. 2004..Generic substitution laws and measures to increase generic competition may thus have unintended consequences since these results show a positive relationship between generic market shares and reported side effects...
- Authorized generic drugs, price competition, and consumers' welfareErnst R Berndt
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:790-9. 2007..We posit that long-run prices and shares are likely essentially unaffected by authorized generics and that potential costs to consumers from any delayed generic entry are likely small...
- [Generic drugs instead of brand drugs prescriptions--long overdue]Siri Nelson
Institutt for laboratoriemedisin, barne og kvinnesykdommer, Det medisinske fakultet, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, 7489 Trondheim
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:441-3. 2006..The present paper gives an overview over current practice in different countries and discusses advantages and drawbacks...
- Bioavailability and bioequivalence: an FDA regulatory overviewM L Chen
Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
Pharm Res 18:1645-50. 2001....
- Potential savings from increased use of generic drugs in the elderly: what the experience of Medicaid and other insurance programs means for a Medicare drug benefitMichael A Fischer
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 13:207-14. 2004..Generic medications provide the same clinical effect at lower cost than brand name drugs but little is known about the extent to which such savings are achieved in drug benefit programs serving the elderly...
- Impact of a generic substitution reform on patients' and society's expenditure for pharmaceuticalsKarolina Andersson
Social Medicine, Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, P O Box 453, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Health Policy 81:376-84. 2007..This suggests that generic substitution has contributed to a reduction in the growth of pharmaceutical expenditure...
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: case evidence of breakthrough seizuresM J Berg
Strong Epilepsy Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642 8673, USA
Neurology 71:525-30. 2008..There are concerns that generic and brand antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) may not be therapeutically equivalent. This study investigated how generic AED substitution may have negative consequences...
- Clinical consequences of generic substitution of lamotrigine for patients with epilepsyJ LeLorier
Centre de Recherche, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Neurology 70:2179-86. 2008....
- Experience with generic drugs in epilepsy patients: an electronic survey of members of the German, Austrian and Swiss branches of the ILAEGunter Kramer
Epilepsia 48:609-11. 2007
- Esophageal transit and in vivo disintegration of branded risedronate sodium tablets and two generic formulations of alendronic acid tablets: a single-center, single-blind, six-period crossover study in healthy female subjectsAlan C Perkins
Academic Medical Physics and Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 30:834-44. 2008....
- Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in SpainJaume Puig-Junoy
Research Centre for Health and Economics CRES, Department of Economics and Business, Pompeu Fabra University, C Trias Fargas 25 27, 34 08005 Barcelona, Spain
Health Policy 67:149-65. 2004..In the final section of this paper, we present an overall assessment of the impact of these pharmaceutical reimbursement policies on the behaviour of the agents in the pharmaceutical market...
- Generic substitution in the treatment of epilepsy: patient and physician perceptionsMichel J Berg
Department of Neurology, University of Rochester Medical Center and Strong Epilepsy Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 13:693-9. 2008..Additional investigation on bioequivalence may help address ongoing concerns and inform policy-making decisions...
- Antiepileptic drugs: generic versus branded treatmentsDominic C Heaney
Department of Clinical and Experimental Epilepsy, UCL Institute of Neurology and National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
Lancet Neurol 6:465-8. 2007..mean that substantial drug-budget savings may be possible by switching from innovator brands to cheaper generic drugs. Such savings have been achieved in many other treatment areas...
- What's the problem with generic antiepileptic drugs?: a call to actionMichel J Berg
Neurology 68:1245-6. 2007
- The impact of generic-only drug benefits on patients' use of inhaled corticosteroids in a Medicare population with asthmaVicki Fung
Center for Health Policy Studies, Kaiser Permanente Division of Research, Oakland, California, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 8:151. 2008..We examined changes in ICS use following the introduction of generic-only coverage in a Medicare Advantage population from 2003-2004...
- Opinion and behaviour of pharmacists towards the substitution of branded drugs by generic drugs: survey of 1,000 French community pharmacistsBenoit Allenet
Clinical Pharmacy Department, Grenoble School of Pharmacy, France Pavillon Moidieu, CHU de Grenoble, 38700 La Tronche, France
Pharm World Sci 25:197-202. 2003In 1999, a new law was introduced, giving French pharmacists the right to switch from branded to generic drugs, unless the prescriber had specified that substitution was not permitted...
- The economic consequences of generic substitution for antiepileptic drugs in a public payer setting: the case of lamotrigineMei Sheng Duh
Analysis Group, Inc, Boston, Massachusetts 02199, USA
Dis Manag 10:216-25. 2007..Payers may weigh smaller-than-expected cost reductions against a possible decrease in effectiveness to assess the relevance of mandatory generic switching of lamotrigine...
- [Partial reimbursement of prescription charges for generic drugs reduces costs for both health insurance and patients]Ghazaleh Gouya
Universitätsklinik für Klinische Pharmakologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:89-95. 2008..In collaboration with a company health insurance with 3143 members we analysed the economic benefit of reduced prescription fees for generic drugs in a 12-month period.
- Incidence of postoperative infections in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery receiving antimicrobial prophylaxis with original and generic cefuroximeEkaterini Mastoraki
Department of Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, 356 Sygrou Ave, 17674 Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:35-9. 2008....
- Generic substitution of antihypertensive drugs: does it affect adherence?Boris L G Van Wijk
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ann Pharmacother 40:15-20. 2006..However, pharmacists and physicians often find that patients and brand-name manufacturers have doubt about the equivalence of the substituted drug. This may be reflected by decreased adherence to therapy...
- Are all aciclovir cream formulations bioequivalent?L Trottet
GlaxoSmithKline, Weybridge, Surrey, UK
Int J Pharm 304:63-71. 2005..Given the magnitude of the differences seen, there is concern over therapeutic inequivalence of generic ACV creams to the innovator cream...
- [The clinical and economic impact of generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]A Argumosa
Department of Neuropediatrics, Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, University of Cantrabria, Avenida Valdecilla s n, E 39008 Santander, Cantabria, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:45-9. 2005..The aim of this study was to determine whether the introduction of generic formulations of antiepileptic drugs (AED) would lead to an economic saving for the public health service...
- Comparative in vitro study of oesophageal adhesiveness of different commercial formulations containing alendronateMonjed Shakweh
Laboratoire de Physicochimie, Pharmacotechnie et Biopharmacie, UMR CNRS 8612, Universite Paris Sud, Chatenay Malabry, France
Eur J Pharm Sci 31:262-70. 2007..The demonstrated differences in adhesiveness suggest that differences in oesophageal tolerance between Fosamax tablets and generics of sodium alendronate may exist...
- Patient and physician reactions to generic antiepileptic substitution in the treatment of epilepsyLisa S Haskins
Harris Interactive Health Care Division, Rochester, NY, USA
Epilepsy Behav 7:98-105. 2005..The clinical and economic consequences of generic antiepileptic drug (AED) substitution are not yet fully understood. This article provides a broad perspective of generic AED substitution in five countries...
- Pharmacokinetic comparison of generic and trade formulations of lamivudine, stavudine and nevirapine in HIV-infected Malawian adultsMina C Hosseinipour
University of North Carolina Project, Lilongwe Malawi
AIDS 21:59-64. 2007..The Malawian antiretroviral program uses generic Triomune (stavudine, lamivudine, and nevirapine)...
- Attitudes of Slovene general practitioners towards generic drug prescribing and comparison with international studiesJ Kersnik
Department of Family Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Clin Pharm Ther 31:577-83. 2006..Substitution of branded products by generic equivalents can offer savings. General practitioners (GPs) are often concerned about the quality of generic products and possible legal liabilities associated with their use...
- Recommendations of the Italian League against Epilepsy working group on generic products of antiepileptic drugsEmilio Perucca
Clinical Pharmacology Unit and Institute of Neurology IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Epilepsia 47:16-20. 2006....
- In vitro potency evaluations of various piperacillin/tazobactam generic products compared with the contemporary branded (Zosyn, Wyeth) formulationRonald N Jones
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 61:76-9. 2008..The average -16% activity across all generic lots was equivalent to underdosing piperacillin/tazobactam by 2.6 g daily for serious clinical infections (4.5 g Q6 h)...
- Brand and generic medications: are they interchangeable?Abdulrazaq S Al-Jazairi
Department of Pharmacy Services, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Saudi Pharmaceutical Industries and Medical Appliances Corporation and the cCollege of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 28:33-41. 2008..Our objective was to review and examine the basis of the controversy surrounding brand and generic interchangeability and to explore a practical approach in pursuing a switch...
- Should newly diagnosed epilepsy be treated with generics?Peter Wolf
Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen and at the Danish Epilepsy Centre, Dianalund, Denmark
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 4:176-7. 2008
- Generic warfarin: implications for clinical practice and perceptions of anticoagulation providersRachel A Bongiorno
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 30:619-26. 2004..These perceptions may change over time as additional data showing comparative therapeutic outcomes between generic and brand name formulations are published...
- Therapeutic equivalency of generic antiepileptic drugs: results of a surveyAndrew N Wilner
Suite 317, Americas Building, Newport, RI 02840, USA
Epilepsy Behav 5:995-8. 2004..Fifty-two (18.4%) neurologists agreed that the Food and Drug Administration standards for AED bioavailability are sufficiently narrow; 231 (81.6%) did not...
- Global health and university patentsAmy Kapczynski
Science 301:1629. 2003
- Economic consequences of underuse of generic drugs: evidence from Medicaid and implications for prescription drug benefit plansMichael A Fischer
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02120, USA
Health Serv Res 38:1051-63. 2003..To calculate the financial impact of underuse of generic medications in state Medicaid programs...
- Economics and structure of the generic pharmaceutical industryD M Kirking
Department of Social and Administrative Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 1065, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:578-84. 2001..To review key economic trends of the generic medication market and analyze the changing structure of the generic medication industry...
- Position statement on the coverage of anticonvulsant drugs for the treatment of epilepsyK Liow
Via Christi Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214 3800, USA
Neurology 68:1249-50. 2007
- Progress in methodologies for evaluating bioequivalence of topical formulationsV P Shah
Office of Pharmaceutical Science, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Am J Clin Dermatol 2:275-80. 2001..However, confidence in this methodology needs to be established, particularly regarding its relevance to clinical drug efficacy...
- Determinants of prescribing costs amongst single-handed general practitionersP S Gill
Department of Primary Care and General Practice, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 26:433-5. 2001..To investigate the contribution of patient and doctor characteristics in explaining observed variations in prescribing costs between individual doctors...
- Impact of the Minimum Pricing Policy and introduction of brand (generic) substitution into the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in AustraliaP McManus
Drug Utilisation Sub Committee MDP 83, Department of Health and Aged Care, GPO Box 9848, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 10:295-300. 2001....
- Drug product selection: legal issuesT P Christensen
College of Pharmacy, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 41:868-74. 2001..To review the potential legal liability of the pharmacist in the drug product selection process...
- European healthcare policies for controlling drug expenditureSilvia M Ess
Hirslanden Research, Zurich, Switzerland
Pharmacoeconomics 21:89-103. 2003..To control costs, the use of generic drugs is encouraged in most countries, but only few countries allow pharmacists to substitute generic drugs for ..
- Potential therapeutic failure of generic vancomycin in a liver transplant patient with MRSA peritonitis and bacteremiaCarlos A Rodriguez
GRIPE Grupo Investigador de Problemas en Enfermedades Infecciosas, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
J Infect 59:277-80. 2009..It raises concern about therapeutic equivalence of generic vancomycin...
- Prescribing indicators and their use by primary care groups to influence prescribingM Ashworth
GKT Department of General Practice and Primary Care, King s College London, Lambeth Walk, London, UK
J Clin Pharm Ther 27:197-204. 2002....
- In vitro disintegration studies of weekly generic alendronate sodium tablets (70 mg) available in the USRichard J Dansereau
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:449-52. 2009....
- Patient perception of generic antiepileptic drugs in the Midwestern United StatesTania Beltran Papsdorf
University of Kansas School of Medicine Wichita, Wichita, KS 67214 3199, USA
Epilepsy Behav 14:150-3. 2009..The goal of the study described here was to understand patients' experiences with generic AEDs in the Midwestern United States...
- Generic substitution: issues for problematic drugsJ D Henderson
Department of Physician Assistant Studies, College of Allied Health Professions, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, USA
South Med J 94:16-21. 2001..Yet, misinformation and myths persist regarding the adequacy and proven reliability of the FDA's determination of bioequivalence for these products...
- Consumer perceptions of risk and required cost savings for generic prescription drugsJ M Ganther
Sonderegger Research Center, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 40:378-83. 2000....
- A physician survey on generic drugs and substitution of critical dose medicationsB F Banahan
Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Mississippi, USA
Arch Intern Med 157:2080-8. 1997..the Food and Drug Administration standards for bioequivalency, especially with respect to narrow therapeutic index drugs, the awareness and attitudes of prescribing physicians to generic drugs and generic substitution are important.
- Determination of therapeutic equivalence of generic products of gentamicin in the neutropenic mouse thigh infection modelAndres F Zuluaga
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Antioquia Medical School, Medellin, Colombia
PLoS ONE 5:e10744. 2010..Recent reports of deaths associated with generic heparin and metoprolol have raised concerns about the efficacy and safety of DRA-approved drugs...
- The bioequivalence and therapeutic efficacy of generic versus brand-name psychoactive drugsGiuseppe Borgheini
Neurological and Psychiatric Department, University of Padua, and Casa di Cura Parco dei Tigli, Padua, Italy
Clin Ther 25:1578-92. 2003..However, bioequivalence and therapeutic effectiveness are not necessarily the same...
- Issues in the use of generic antiarrhythmic drugsJ A Reiffel
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, Columbia University, College of Physician and Surgeons and The Arrhythmia Service, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center Campus, The New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Curr Opin Cardiol 16:23-9. 2001..Additionally, guidelines for allowance or avoidance of antiarrhythmic drug formulation substitution are suggested...
- [How do practitioners evaluate the newly introduced system of substituting prescriptions?]S L Rubak
Aarhus Universitet, Institut for Almen Medicin
Ugeskr Laeger 162:6070-3. 2000..The purpose of this study was to obtain the GPs' views on the system and evaluate the problems related to the system...
- Managing prescription drug costsJ M Sica
Aon Consulting, Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA
Empl Benefits J 26:35-40. 2001..The author also discusses pharmacy benefit managers, as well as various utilization management strategies like benefit plan design and the use of formularies...
- The impact of generic substitution on price competition in FinlandVille Aalto-Setälä
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Health Econ 9:185-91. 2008..The most important factors that influenced the price development were the number of competitors, whether the drug was originator or generic and the width of the price band...
- Product-line extensions and pricing strategies of brand-name drugs facing patent expirationSong Hee Hong
Division of Pharmaceutical Evaluation and Policy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:746-54. 2005..price rigidity of patent-expired brand-name prescription drugs despite the increase in market entry of generic drugs facilitated by the 1984 Drug Price Competition and Patent Term Restoration Act...
- [Generics: essentially similar, bioequivalent but not identical]D Even-Adin
Hopital Erasme, U L B
Rev Med Brux 22:513-20. 2001..However, in term of economy, in the drug market, development of GF appears to constitute an unavoidable phenomenon...
- PHARMAC responds to Stewart Mann on dihydropyridine calcium channel antagonistsAndrew Davies
N Z Med J 118:U1621. 2005
- Economic aspects of the new Spanish laws on pharmaceutical preparationsFernando Antonanzas
Department of Economics and Business Administration, Universidad de La Rioja, C La Cigüena 60, 26004, Logrono, Spain
Eur J Health Econ 8:297-300. 2007..We review information on pricing, reference pricing, promotion of generic drugs, public reimbursement, patients' contributions, and penalties...
- Pharmaceutical promotion and GP prescription behaviourFrank Windmeijer
Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies, London, UK
Health Econ 15:5-18. 2006..We conclude that GP drug price sensitivity is small, but adversely affected by promotion. Ltd...
- The economics of prescription drug prices, government intervention, and the importation of drugs from CanadaMatthew S Openshaw
Public Policy and Political Economy, University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
Nurs Econ 23:307-11, 279. 2005..What effects would this have on consumer prices, drug companies' incentives, and the development of new medications?..
- [Generic drugs in the treatment of epilepsy]J Gonzalez de Dios
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Universitario San Juan, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, Alicante, Spain
Rev Neurol 41:676-83. 2005We discuss some controversial aspects with prescription of generic drugs (GD) and the problems concerning bioequivalence, mainly in the case of drugs with non-linear pharmacokinetics and/or narrow therapeutic rank, like the antiepileptic ..
- Generic products of antiepileptic drugs (AEDs): is it an issue?Meir Bialer
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy and David R Bloom Center for Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Epilepsia 48:1825-32. 2007....
- Drug importation and safety of drugs obtained from CanadaMarv Shepherd
Center for Pharmacoeconomic Studies, College of Pharmacy, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1288-91. 2007..The US needs to become innovative and seek solutions that will provide effective, safe, and economical pharmaceuticals without placing a burden on other countries and without damaging the pharmaceutical research...
- Prices, profits, and innovation: examining criticisms of new psychotropic drugs' valueHaiden A Huskamp
Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 25:635-46. 2006....
- Generic drugs: an overviewDave Helgeland
Pharmacy Administration, South Dakota State University College of Pharmacy, USA
S D Med 59:161-3. 2006
- [Analysis of generic drug supply in France]F Taboulet
Programme pluri formation de structuration de la recherche en Santé publique et Médecine clinique Médicament, sécurité sanitaire et régulation du système de santé M2SR2S, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 51:415-25. 2003..iii) to analyze information on excipients provided to health care professionals...
- Follow-on biologics: competition in the biopharmaceutical marketplaceJoshua W Devine
Social and Administrative Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:193-201; quiz 202-4. 2006..To describe the implications of a follow-on biologic approval process with focus on current stakeholders, implications of the status quo, and recommendations for future policy...
- [Original or generic?]Iván György Magyar
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 7:167-8. 2005
- Periventricular White Matter Injury PreventionScott A Rivkees; Fiscal Year: 2013..avoid the high costs and the lengthy time frame associated with new drug development in applying FDA-approved, generic drugs for novel clinical applications...
- The Impact of the Medicare Modernization Act of 2003 on Cancer CareHelen M Parsons; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>generic drugs in Medicare-eligible breast, colon, and lung cancer patients before and after the implementation of the MMA ..
- Assessing Clinical Equivalence for Generic Drugs Approved By Innovative MethodsAaron Seth Kesselheim; Fiscal Year: 2013Summary/Abstract Generic drugs make up about 80% of all drug prescribing, and less costly generic drugs promote medication adherence among patients and reduce wasteful health care spending...
- Overcoming Tramadol Resistance In CYP2D6 Poor MetabolizersJohn A Zebala; Fiscal Year: 2013..with over 25 million prescriptions and $565 million in retail sales in 2009, making it among the best selling generic drugs. One of the advantages of tramadol over traditional opioids is its lower risk of opioid dependence, resulting ..
- Predictive Lung Deposition Models for Safety and Efficacy of Orally Inhaled DrugP Worth Longest; Fiscal Year: 2012..inhaled medications used to treat respiratory diseases (such as asthma and COPD) will soon be candidates for generic drugs due to the expiration of existing patents...
- Postmarketing Surveillance of Generic Drug Usage and Substitution PatternsIlene H Zuckerman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The need to provide access to new, safe and effective generic drugs for patients is therefore met with controversial innovative evaluation methods...
- Clinical Practice Data to Aid Narrow Therapeutic Index Drug ClassificationMichael Cohen-Wolkowiez; Fiscal Year: 2013..Consequently, in the setting of generic drug development, it is critical that NTI generic drugs achieve exposures similar to reference products...
- The Impact of Medicaid Reimbursement Policies on Pharmaceutical SpendingABBY ELIZABETH ALPERT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Insurer reimbursement rules change the incentives for how pharmacies purchase generic drugs. In particular, reimbursement rules provide incentives for pharmacies to purchase higher priced versions of ..
- NOVEL METHODOLOGIES AND IVIVC APPROACHES TO ASSESS BIOEQUIVALENCE OF TOPICAL DRUGFrank Sinner; Fiscal Year: 2013b>Generic drugs now represent the major part of the US pharmaceutical market...
- A New High Throughput Assay for Human MDR1 SubstratesEugene Mechetner; Fiscal Year: 2001..A pilot screening will be performed on 250 well-characterized compounds (generic drugs and biochemical standards) from a commercial library...
- Designing Drugs That Supress Chronic Brain InFlammationAnton Solovyov; Fiscal Year: 2009..We screened a variety of generic drugs for neuroprotective effect using cell culture and animals models of AD immune pathology...
- Designing drugs that suppress chronic brain inflammationDAVID VIA; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since the ultimate goal of therapeutic strategies for AD is to protect neurons, we screened a variety of generic drugs for neuroprotective effect using cell culture and animals models of AD immune pathology...
- Effects of Mental Parity on High-Cost and Severely-Ill IndividualsHaiden A Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2011..We will estimate a combination of two-part random-effects models for longitudinal data, latent class random-effects models, logistic regression models, Poisson regression models, and hazard models to address these aims. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- Economics of Formulary Design and Mental Health PolicyHaiden Huskamp; Fiscal Year: 2006..Huskamp the training, mentoring, time and resources to develop the skills that will put her in a position to lead independent research on the economics of pharmaceutical treatment for mental illnesses. ..
- Molecular Genetics of Inattention in AustraliaTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2009..This will be at a marked cost savings due to the employment of existing well-characterized samples and the long history of collaborative studies between investigators from Australia and the United States. ..
- OPIATE ENDOCRINE INTERACTIONS--DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTSTHEODORE CICERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed animal studies could establish whether gender differences exist and if these differences are based on inherent, first-order biological differences between the sexes. ..
- Economic Evaluations of Emerging Genomic Tests for Early Stage Breast CancerYA CHEN SHIH; Fiscal Year: 2008..To estimate the budgetary impact of the emerging pharmacogenomic prognostic and/or predictive tests [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Health Insurance Dynamics of Older AmericansMARY BUNDORF; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Health Plan Report Cards on Quality of CareMARY BUNDORF; Fiscal Year: 2004..This information is essential for both large purchasers, such as the Medicare program and employers, and policy makers to determine the appropriate role of these types of interventions in improving quality of care. ..
- The Economics of Residential and Workplace SegregationJUDITH HELLERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The second component of the research program is to use the 1990 and 2000 data to study the interdependence of residential and labor market segregation and the effects of segregation on economic outcomes. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxidative Stress Markers and HIV DementiaNed Sacktor; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that oxidative stress plays a significant role in the development of HIV-D, and strategies to decrease oxidative stress may serve as a useful therapeutic target to treat HIV-D. ..
- DEPRESSIVE DISORDERS IN PRIMARY CARE AND WORK SETTINGSBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2003..This project will compare the impact of depression and three chronic medical illnesses on health costs, absenteeism and job performance ratings both cross-sectionally and over time. ..
- Pharmacokinetics & Genomics in Glomerular DiseasesMELANIE JOY; Fiscal Year: 2008..The selection of collaborators with expertise in the areas of this grant will enhance the career development of Dr. Joy. ..
- MATERNAL HEALTH STATUS AND ADVERSE BIRTH OUTCOMESJennifer Haas; Fiscal Year: 2002..Such interventions should begin from the premise that improved maternal and infant outcomes can only come from improved maternal health. ..
- DELETION MUTAGENESIS WITHIN NONCODING SEGMENTS OF HIV1Mark Wainberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..6. To determine whether these attenuated SIV constructs may protect against subsequent challenge with virulent forms of SIV and SIV/HIV hybrids. ..
- Computerized EMR-Assisted Smoking Cessation (CEASCE)Jennifer Haas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future Directions: Evaluate whether CEASCE can serve as a prototype for other common primary care problems that require counseling for behavior change. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Racial Segregation & Disparities in Cancer OutcomesJennifer Haas; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed study would provide empirical evidence that could give impetus to area-based interventions to reduce cancer disparities. ..
- Impact of Medicaid Policy on cardiovascular drug use and clinical outcomesMichael A Fischer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Adapting a Medical Self-Management Program for a Community Mental Health CenterBenjamin Druss; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, it will provide a sustainable, scalable model for improving medical self-management in a highly vulnerable population. ..
- Specialty Mental Health Care--Expanding Access in an HMODominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will inform health plan decision-makers and others as they make utilization management choices that may have a major impact on patients and enrollee populations overall. ..
- Pharmacogenomics/natural products + antifungal activityJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..Probing this array with eukaryotic mRNA from cells exposed to novel antifungals would predict common mechanism of action and likelihood of toxicity, activity and resistance. ..
- DRUG ABUSE TREATMENT UNDER MANAGED CARE--ROLE OF PPOSConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study will provide systematic information on the nature and extent of these changes. ..
- Epileptogenicity in the Developing BrainRaman Sankar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our findings will provide the basis for future neuroprotective interventions targeting the developing brain at different stages of status epilepticus in order to interrupt the course of the epileptogenic process. ..
- Access to Care: Children with Special Health Care NeedsAlex Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Phase II is the development of an access-to-care survey instrument and limited-scope primary data collection to further examines factors impacting access to care for CSHCN. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Research Center on Managed Care and Drug Abuse TreatmentConstance Horgan; Fiscal Year: 2008..This pilot will explore the feasibility for a large-scale study of the incremental impact of adding a substance abuse treatment parity benefit to private health insurance in California. ..
- Substrate requirements of the bile acid transporterJAMES POLLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..This systematic and progressive approach will serve as a prototypical method to elucidate the substrate requirements of other solute carrier (SLC) proteins. ..
- High Purity Amphotericin B: A Safer Antimycotic in AIDSJohn Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of 3 Tier Drug Copays on Use and SpendingDominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Outcomes After ACL Reconstruction: Femoral Nerve BlockBrian Williams; Fiscal Year: 2005..The methods learned and the model developed herein will be the basis of future studies funded through the R01 mechanism. ..
- Improving Outcomes in Pharmacotherapy of Social PhobiaMichael Van Ameringen; Fiscal Year: 2009..It thus directly addresses a critical public health issue that adversely affects a substantial proportion of the population. ..
- The Role of Customization in Psychotropic PrescribingDominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2009....