- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetes
Rury R Holman
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 359:1577-89. 2008
..We conducted post-trial monitoring to determine whether this improved glucose control persisted and whether such therapy had a long-term effect on macrovascular outcomes...
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetes
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
N Engl J Med 360:129-39. 2009
..The effects of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular events in patients with long-standing type 2 diabetes mellitus remain uncertain...
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin
Samantha L Bowker
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 29:254-8. 2006
..We explored the association between antidiabetic therapies and cancer-related mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes, postulating that agents that increase insulin levels might promote cancer...
- Oral antidiabetic agents: current role in type 2 diabetes mellitus
Andrew J Krentz
Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust, Southampton, UK
Drugs 65:385-411. 2005
..However, intensive lifestyle intervention can be more effective than drug therapy, at least in the setting of interventional clinical trials. No antidiabetic drugs are presently licensed for use in prediabetic individuals...
- Switching from insulin to oral sulfonylureas in patients with diabetes due to Kir6.2 mutations
Ewan R Pearson
Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 355:467-77. 2006
..Diabetes results from impaired insulin secretion caused by a failure of the beta-cell K(ATP) channel to close in response to increased intracellular ATP. Sulfonylureas close the K(ATP) channel by an ATP-independent route...
- Metformin and cancer occurrence in insulin-treated type 2 diabetic patients
Section of Geriatric Cardiology and Medicine, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Florence and Careggi Teaching Hospital, Florence, Italy
Diabetes Care 34:129-31. 2011
..Metformin is associated with reduced cancer-related morbidity and mortality. The aim of this study was to assess the effect of metformin on cancer incidence in a consecutive series of insulin-treated patients...
- Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes in oral agent combination therapy for type 2 diabetes (RECORD): a multicentre, randomised, open-label trial
Philip D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Lancet 373:2125-35. 2009
..We assessed cardiovascular outcomes after addition of rosiglitazone to either metformin or sulfonylurea compared with the combination of the two over 5-7 years of follow-up. We also assessed comparative safety...
- Interim analysis of the effects of exenatide treatment on A1C, weight and cardiovascular risk factors over 82 weeks in 314 overweight patients with type 2 diabetes
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 8:436-47. 2006
..This analysis examined the effects of exenatide on glycaemic control and weight over an 82-week period in patients with DM2 unable to achieve adequate glycaemic control with sulphonylurea (SU) and/or metformin (MET)...
- Effect of antihyperglycemic agents added to metformin and a sulfonylurea on glycemic control and weight gain in type 2 diabetes: a network meta-analysis
Jorge L Gross
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Ann Intern Med 154:672-9. 2011
..Few studies have examined the effect of adding a third antihyperglycemic drug when blood glucose control is not achieved by using metformin and a sulfonylurea...
- Glycemic control with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS 49). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group
R C Turner
Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, England
JAMA 281:2005-12. 1999
..8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) or glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) below 7% is unknown...
- Liraglutide vs insulin glargine and placebo in combination with metformin and sulfonylurea therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus (LEAD-5 met+SU): a randomised controlled trial
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Guildford Hospital, UK
Diabetologia 52:2046-55. 2009
..The aim of the study was to compare the efficacy and safety of liraglutide in type 2 diabetes mellitus vs placebo and insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin), all in combination with metformin and glimepiride...
- Truncation of Kir6.2 produces ATP-sensitive K+ channels in the absence of the sulphonylurea receptor
S J Tucker
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford, UK
Nature 387:179-83. 1997
..We show here that the primary site at which ATP acts to mediate K-ATP channel inhibition is located on Kir6.2, and that SUR1 is required for sensitivity to sulphonylureas and diazoxide and for activation by Mg-ADP...
- Sulphonylureas and cancer: a case-control study
Department of Critical Care Medicine and Surgery, Unit of Gerontology and Geriatrics, University of Florence and Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, Via delle Oblate 4, 50134, Florence, Italy
Acta Diabetol 46:279-84. 2009
..In particular, the possible protective effect of gliclazide, as well as the risk associated with glibenclamide, deserves further investigation...
- Glycemic control continues to deteriorate after sulfonylureas are added to metformin among patients with type 2 diabetes
Michael N Cook
Department of Epidemiology, Merck Research Laboratories, Merck, BL 1 7, P O Box 4, West Point, PA 19486 0004, USA
Diabetes Care 28:995-1000. 2005
..To describe the course and predictors of glycemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes after sulfonylureas (SUs) are added to metformin (MF)...
- Vildagliptin add-on to metformin produces similar efficacy and reduced hypoglycaemic risk compared with glimepiride, with no weight gain: results from a 2-year study
D R Matthews
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital and NIHR, Oxford Biomedical Research Centre, UK
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:780-9. 2010
..To show that vildagliptin added to metformin is non-inferior to glimepiride in reducing HbA1c levels from baseline over 2 years...
- Efficacy and safety of exenatide in patients of Asian descent with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin or metformin and a sulphonylurea
Department of Endocrinology, Peking University First Hospital, Beijing, China
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 83:69-76. 2009
..To evaluate the efficacy of exenatide in Asian patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) inadequately controlled with oral agents...
- Sulfonylurea and glinide reduce insulin content, functional expression of K(ATP) channels, and accelerate apoptotic beta-cell death in the chronic phase
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 77:343-50. 2007
..These findings help to clarify the mechanism of secondary failure after long-term therapy by these hypoglycemic agents, and should have important clinical implications regarding pharmacotherapy for type 2 diabetes...
- Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, sitagliptin, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled on glimepiride alone or on glimepiride and metformin
Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:733-45. 2007
..5% and <or=10.5%] while on glimepiride alone or in combination with metformin...
- Impact of type of preadmission sulfonylureas on mortality and cardiovascular outcomes in diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction
Laboratory of Experimental and Cardiovascular Physiopathology and Pharmacology, Institut Fédératif de Recherche Santé Sciences et Techniques de l Information et de la Communication, Faculty of Medicine, 7 bd Jeanne d Arc, Dijon, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4993-5002. 2010
- Effects of prolonged in vitro exposure to sulphonylureas on the function and survival of human islets
Silvia Del Guerra
Metabolic Unit, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Cisanello Hospital Pisa, Pisa 56100, Italy
J Diabetes Complications 19:60-4. 2005
..In conclusion, prolonged exposure of human islets to different sulphonylureas causes different disturbances of islet cell function, with glimepiride showing milder effects, as compared with chlorpropamide and glibenclamide...
- Metformin treatment is associated with a low risk of mortality in diabetic patients with heart failure: a retrospective nationwide cohort study
Department of Cardiology, Gentofte University Hospital, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Diabetologia 53:2546-53. 2010
..We investigated the risk of all-cause mortality associated with individual glucose-lowering treatment regimens used in current clinical practice in Denmark...
- Mechanisms of the glycaemic effects of sulfonylureas
F M Ashcroft
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford
Horm Metab Res 28:456-63. 1996
..Earlier studies are also re-examined in the light of new findings...
- Efficacy and safety comparison of liraglutide, glimepiride, and placebo, all in combination with metformin, in type 2 diabetes: the LEAD (liraglutide effect and action in diabetes)-2 study
Diabeteszentrum Bad Lauterberg, Harz, Germany
Diabetes Care 32:84-90. 2009
..The efficacy and safety of adding liraglutide (a glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist) to metformin were compared with addition of placebo or glimepiride to metformin in subjects previously treated with oral antidiabetes (OAD) therapy...
- National trends in treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, 1994-2007
G Caleb Alexander
Department of Medicine, Section of General Internal Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Arch Intern Med 168:2088-94. 2008
..Diabetes mellitus is common, costly, and increasingly prevalent. Despite innovations in therapy, little is known about patterns and costs of drug treatment...
- Effective treatment with oral sulfonylureas in patients with diabetes due to sulfonylurea receptor 1 (SUR1) mutations
Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Science, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK
Diabetes Care 31:204-9. 2008
..2 mutations is well described, but less is known about changing therapy in patients with SUR1 mutations. We aimed to describe the response to sulfonylurea therapy in patients with SUR1 mutations and to compare it with Kir6.2 mutations...
- Effects of exenatide (exendin-4) on glycemic control over 30 weeks in sulfonylurea-treated patients with type 2 diabetes
John B Buse
Diabetes Care Center, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Diabetes Care 27:2628-35. 2004
..This study evaluated the ability of the incretin mimetic exenatide (exendin-4) to improve glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes failing maximally effective doses of a sulfonylurea as monotherapy...
- Incidence of dementia is increased in type 2 diabetes and reduced by the use of sulfonylureas and metformin
Chih Cheng Hsu
Division of Health Policy Research and Development, Institute of Population Health Sciences, National Health Research Institutes, Zhunan, Miaoli County, Taiwan, ROC
J Alzheimers Dis 24:485-93. 2011
..T2DM increases the risk of dementia more than 2-fold. On the other hand, sulfonylureas may decrease the risk of dementia, as does metformin; together, these 2 OAs decrease the risk of dementia in T2DM patients by 35% over 8 years...
- Three-year efficacy of complex insulin regimens in type 2 diabetes
Rury R Holman
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 361:1736-47. 2009
..Evidence supporting the addition of specific insulin regimens to oral therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus is limited...
- Improved glycemic control with insulin glargine versus pioglitazone as add-on therapy to sulfonylurea or metformin in patients with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes mellitus
Luigi F Meneghini
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Eleanor and Joseph Kosow Diabetes Treatment Center, Diabetes Research Institute, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Endocr Pract 16:588-99. 2010
..To compare glycemic control with add-on insulin glargine versus pioglitazone treatment in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, added to a sulphonylurea over 26 weeks produces greater improvements in glycaemic and weight control compared with adding rosiglitazone or placebo in subjects with Type 2 diabetes (LEAD-1 SU)
Service d Endocrinologie Diabétologie Nutrition, Groupe Hospitalier Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Diabet Med 26:268-78. 2009
..To compare the effects of combining liraglutide (0.6, 1.2 or 1.8 mg/day) or rosiglitazone 4 mg/day (all n >or= 228) or placebo (n = 114) with glimepiride (2-4 mg/day) on glycaemic control, body weight and safety in Type 2 diabetes...
- Liraglutide provides similar glycaemic control as glimepiride (both in combination with metformin) and reduces body weight and systolic blood pressure in Asian population with type 2 diabetes from China, South Korea and India: a 16-week, randomized, doubl
Department of Endocrinology, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:81-8. 2011
..To assess and compare the efficacy and safety of liraglutide with those of glimepiride, both in combination with metformin for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in Asian population from China, South Korea and India...
- Sulphonylurea action revisited: the post-cloning era
F M Gribble
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Box 232, Cambridge CB2 2QR, UK
Diabetologia 46:875-91. 2003
..Further studies are still required before a final decision can be made on whether non-selective agents are appropriate for the therapy of Type 2 diabetes...
- Glycaemic control among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in seven European countries: findings from the Real-Life Effectiveness and Care Patterns of Diabetes Management (RECAP-DM) study
F Alvarez Guisasola
Centro de Salud La Calzada II, Gijon, Spain
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:8-15. 2008
- Comparison of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin and the sulphonylurea gliclazide in combination with metformin, in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan: results of the VECTOR study
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Rhyl, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1367-74. 2011
..To compare the incidence of hypoglycaemic events (HEs) in a real-world setting in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan...
- Prevalence of permanent neonatal diabetes in Slovakia and successful replacement of insulin with sulfonylurea therapy in KCNJ11 and ABCC8 mutation carriers
DIABGENE and Diabetes Research Laboratory, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska 3, SK 833 06 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1276-82. 2007
..Thus, the aim of this study was to identify the incidence of PNDM in Slovakia and to switch patients to sulfonylurea (SU) where applicable...
- GUIDE study: double-blind comparison of once-daily gliclazide MR and glimepiride in type 2 diabetic patients
Rudolfstiftung Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 34:535-42. 2004
..The European GUIDE study is the first large-scale head-to-head comparison of two sulphonylureas designed for once-daily administration used under conditions of everyday clinical practice...
- Addition of biphasic, prandial, or basal insulin to oral therapy in type 2 diabetes
Rury R Holman
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 357:1716-30. 2007
..Adding insulin to oral therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus is customary when glycemic control is suboptimal, though evidence supporting specific insulin regimens is limited...
- Activating mutations in the ABCC8 gene in neonatal diabetes mellitus
Andrey P Babenko
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA
N Engl J Med 355:456-66. 2006
..We hypothesized that activating mutations in ABCC8, which encodes SUR1, cause neonatal diabetes...
- A randomized trial of adding insulin glargine vs. avoidance of insulin in people with Type 2 diabetes on either no oral glucose-lowering agents or submaximal doses of metformin and/or sulphonylureas. The Canadian INSIGHT (Implementing New Strategies with
H C Gerstein
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism and the Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences, Ontario, Canada
Diabet Med 23:736-42. 2006
..However, its potential advantages suggest that it could be added earlier to achieve glycaemic goals; this possibility was tested in a clinical trial...
- Sulfonylureas and cardiovascular effects: from experimental data to clinical use. Available data in humans and clinical applications
J P Riveline
Department of Diabetology, Sud Francilien Hospital, Corbeil, France
Diabetes Metab 29:207-22. 2003
..33 years after the UGDP study, the question of deleterious effects of the sulfoylurea (SU) is still raised. We have made a systematic review of the literature from experimental studies to clinical and epidemiological studies...
- Long-term efficacy and safety comparison of liraglutide, glimepiride and placebo, all in combination with metformin in type 2 diabetes: 2-year results from the LEAD-2 study
Diabeteszentrum Bad Lauterberg, Bad Lauterberg im Harz, Bad Lauterberg, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 15:204-12. 2013
..To investigate efficacy and safety of dual therapy with liraglutide and metformin in comparison to glimepiride and metformin, and metformin monotherapy over 2 years in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Sulphonylurea-metformin combination therapy, cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality: the Fremantle Diabetes Study
University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:757-65. 2010
..To determine whether combination of metformin-sulphonylurea is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and mortality in an urban community-based cohort of type 2 patients...
- Patterns of medication initiation in newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus: quality and cost implications
Nihar R Desai
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Med 125:302.e1-7. 2012
..We aimed to evaluate temporal trends in the use of specific drugs for the initial management of type 2 diabetes and to estimate the economic consequences of non-recommended care...
- The incidence of hypoglycaemia in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sitagliptin or a sulphonylurea during Ramadan: a randomised trial
S Al Sifri
Al Hada Military Hospital, Taif, Saudi Arabia
Int J Clin Pract 65:1132-40. 2011
..To compare the incidence of symptomatic hypoglycaemia in fasting Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sitagliptin or a sulphonylurea during Ramadan...
- Exenatide or glimepiride added to metformin on metabolic control and on insulin resistance in type 2 diabetic patients
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 666:251-6. 2011
..Furthermore, adiponectin increase, and tumor necrosis factor-α reduction seem to be related to weight loss obtained with exenatide...
- The safety and tolerability of GLP-1 receptor agonists in the treatment of type-2 diabetes
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Cedar Centre at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, UK
Int J Clin Pract 64:1402-14. 2010
..GLP-1 receptor agonists thus offer a new and potentially useful option for clinicians concerned about some of the common adverse effects of type-2 diabetes therapies...
- Sulfonylurea treatment of type 2 diabetic patients does not reduce the vasodilator response to ischemia
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genova, Italy
Diabetes Care 24:738-42. 2001
- Combination therapy with sulfonylureas and metformin and the prevention of death in type 2 diabetes: a nested case-control study
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, SMBD Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:335-42. 2010
..To determine whether combination of sulfonylureas and metformin increases the risk of death from any cause in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Risk of coronary artery disease associated with initial sulphonylurea treatment of patients with type 2 diabetes: a matched case-control study
Shaukat M Sadikot
Jaslok Hospital and Research Center, 15 Dr Deshmukh Marg, Peddar Road, Mumbai 400026, India
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 82:391-5. 2008
..This study sought to assess the risk of developing coronary artery disease (CAD) associated with initial treatment of type 2 diabetes with different sulphonylureas...
- Efficacy and safety of biphasic insulin aspart 70/30 versus exenatide in subjects with type 2 diabetes failing to achieve glycemic control with metformin and a sulfonylurea
International Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 25:65-75. 2009
- Efficacy and safety of treatment with sitagliptin or glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin monotherapy: a randomized, double-blind, non-inferiority trial
Hospital Especialidades Centro Medico de Occidente, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:160-8. 2011
..to evaluate the efficacy and safety of adding sitagliptin or glimepiride to the treatment regimen of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and inadequate glycaemic control on metformin monotherapy...
- Sulfonylurea-responsive diabetes in childhood
Diabetes Unit, E Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
J Pediatr 150:553-5. 2007
..All affected individuals carried the same KCNJ11 gene mutation. In all, sulfonylurea treatment permitted cessation of insulin treatment, with improved glycemic control...
- Improved glycemic control and reduction of cardiometabolic risk factors in subjects with type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome treated with exenatide in a clinical practice setting
Metabolic Center of Louisiana Research Foundation, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 11:353-9. 2009
..We evaluated exenatide use on glycosylated hemoglobin A1c (HbA(1c)) and cardiometabolic risk factors in patients with T2DM and MetS in a single clinical practice setting...
- Glimepiride. A review of its use in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus
H D Langtry
Adis International Limited, Auckland, New Zealand
Drugs 55:563-84. 1998
..Dosage is usually started at 1 mg/day, titrated to glycaemic control at 1- to 2-week intervals to a usual dosage range of 1 to 4 mg/day (maximum 6 mg/day in the UK or 8 mg/day in the US)...
- Tolerability and efficacy of exenatide and titrated insulin glargine in adult patients with type 2 diabetes previously uncontrolled with metformin or a sulfonylurea: a multinational, randomized, open-label, two-period, crossover noninferiority trial
Anthony H Barnett
Department of Diabetes, Obesity and Endocrinology, University of Birmingham and Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull NHS Trust, Bordesley Green East, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Clin Ther 29:2333-48. 2007
..This study was conducted to compare the efficacy and safety profiles of exenatide and insulin glargine therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes who had not achieved glucose control with metformin or sulfonylurea monotherapy...
- Improved glycaemic control by addition of glimepiride to metformin monotherapy in type 2 diabetic patients
, Corbeil, France
Diabet Med 18:828-34. 2001
..039). CONCLUSIONS: Addition of glimepiride to metformin in Type 2 diabetic patients inadequately controlled by metformin alone resulted in superior glycaemic control compared with glimepiride or metformin monotherapy...
- Hypoglycaemia in Type 2 diabetes
S A Amiel
King s College London School of Medicine, London, UK
Diabet Med 25:245-54. 2008
..Their use, and more prudent use of older therapies with low risk of hypoglycaemia, may help patients achieve improved glucose control for longer, and reduce the risk of diabetic complications...
- Hypoglycaemia in sulphonylurea-treated subjects with type 2 diabetes undergoing Ramadan fasting: a five-country observational study
S R Aravind
Diacon Hospital, Diabetes Care and Research Centre, Bangalore, India
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1237-42. 2011
..To determine the incidence of hypoglycaemia during Ramadan in Muslim subjects with type 2 diabetes treated with a sulphonylurea...
- Glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes: assessing effects of time-varying exposure
S L Bowker
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, 2 040 Health Research Innovation Facility, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E1
Diabetologia 53:1631-7. 2010
..We explored the relationship between glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes patients, hypothesising a decreased risk of cancer mortality with metformin use and a dose-risk gradient for insulin therapy...
- Sulphonylurea therapy improves cognition in a patient with the V59M KCNJ11 mutation
A S Slingerland
Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences, Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK
Diabet Med 25:277-81. 2008
..Sulphonylureas have been shown to improve glycaemic control and also motor function, but the impact on cognitive function has not been extensively addressed previously...
- Liraglutide versus glimepiride monotherapy for type 2 diabetes (LEAD-3 Mono): a randomised, 52-week, phase III, double-blind, parallel-treatment trial
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Lancet 373:473-81. 2009
..New treatments for type 2 diabetes mellitus are needed to retain insulin-glucose coupling and lower the risk of weight gain and hypoglycaemia. We aimed to investigate the safety and efficacy of liraglutide as monotherapy for this disorder...
- Secondary consequences of beta cell inexcitability: identification and prevention in a murine model of K(ATP)-induced neonatal diabetes mellitus
Maria Sara Remedi
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Cell Metab 9:140-51. 2009
- Impairment of myocardial protection in type 2 diabetic patients
Tsung Ming Lee
National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiology Section, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan 10002
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:531-7. 2003
..Restitution of a preconditioning response in glimepiride-treated patients may be the potential beneficial mechanism...
- Sulfonylureas and prognosis after myocardial infarction in patients with diabetes: a population-based follow-up study
Henriette T Horsdal
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 25:515-22. 2009
..The cardiovascular safety, including risk of myocardial infarction (MI), of individual sulfonylureas (SUs) may differ. It remains uncertain whether treatment with individual SUs influences prognosis following MI...
- Effects of exenatide (exendin-4) on glycemic control over 30 weeks in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin and a sulfonylurea
David M Kendall
International Diabetes Center and University of Minnesota, Minmneapolis, MN, USA
Diabetes Care 28:1083-91. 2005
..This study evaluated the effects of exenatide, a novel incretin mimetic, in hyperglycemic patients with type 2 diabetes unable to achieve glycemic control with metformin-sulfonylurea combination therapy...
- Combination of oral antidiabetic agents with basal insulin versus premixed insulin alone in randomized elderly patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Hans U Janka
Klinikum Bremen Nord, Bremen, Germany
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:182-8. 2007
..To compare initiation of insulin therapy by adding once-daily insulin glargine to oral antidiabetic agents (OADs) with switching patients to premixed 30% regular, 70% human neutral protamine hagedorn insulin (70/30) without OADs...
- Cardiovascular effects of conventional sulfonylureas and glimepiride
Pharma Research, Hoechst AG, Germany
Horm Metab Res 28:496-507. 1996
..The presented data confirm that glimepiride at equivalent blood glucose decreasing doses has less cardiovascular activity than conventional sulfonylureas...
- Effects of insulin dependence on inflammatory process, thrombotic mechanisms and endothelial function, in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary atherosclerosis
A Cardiology Department, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Clin Cardiol 30:295-300. 2007
..Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is characterized by endothelial dysfunction, increased thrombogenicity and abnormal inflammatory response...
- The molecular mechanism of the insulin-mimetic/sensitizing activity of the antidiabetic sulfonylurea drug Amaryl
Aventis Pharma Germany, Frankfurt
Mol Med 6:907-33. 2000
- Study comparing the effect of pioglitazone in combination with either metformin or sulphonylureas on lipid profile and glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes (ECLA)
Diabetes Center, 2nd Department of Internal Medicine and Research Laboratory, National University of Athens, Hippokration General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Curr Med Res Opin 27:303-13. 2011
..To explore whether the improvement of lipid profile and glycaemic control observed in randomized control trials with pioglitazone (PIO) is replicated under conditions of general clinical practice...
- Association of diabetes duration and diabetes treatment with the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma
Manal M Hassan
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 116:1938-46. 2010
..This objective of the current study was to determine the association between HCC risk and diabetes duration and type of diabetes treatment...
- Coordinated regulation of esterification and lipolysis by palmitate, H2O2 and the anti-diabetic sulfonylurea drug, glimepiride, in rat adipocytes
Sanofi Aventis Pharma, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 597:6-18. 2008
- Mutations in the sulfonylurea receptor gene in familial persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy
P M Thomas
Department of Medical Specialties, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Science 268:426-9. 1995
..Both mutations resulted in aberrant processing of the RNA sequence and disruption of the putative second nucleotide binding domain of the SUR protein. Abnormal insulin secretion in PHHI appears to be caused by mutations in the SUR gene...
- Increased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol predicts the pioglitazone-mediated reduction of carotid intima-media thickness progression in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Circulation 117:2123-30. 2008
..Compared with glimepiride, pioglitazone has been shown to slow the progression of atherosclerosis measured by CIMT in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Sulfonylurea treatment outweighs insulin therapy in short-term metabolic control of patients with permanent neonatal diabetes mellitus due to activating mutations of the KCNJ11 (KIR6.2) gene
Diabetologia 49:2210-3. 2006
- The risk of developing coronary artery disease or congestive heart failure, and overall mortality, in type 2 diabetic patients receiving rosiglitazone, pioglitazone, metformin, or sulfonylureas: a retrospective analysis
Kevin M Pantalone
Department of Internal Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue NA10, Cleveland, OH, 44195, USA
Acta Diabetol 46:145-54. 2009
..In conclusions, our results did not identify an increased CAD risk with rosiglitazone in clinical practice. However, the results do reinforce a possible increased risk of adverse events in DM2 patients prescribed sulfonylureas...
- The duration of sulfonylurea treatment is associated with β-cell dysfunction in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus
Mi Seon Shin
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diabetes Technol Ther 14:1033-42. 2012
..This study investigated the incidence of β-cell dysfunction and the clinical and biochemical factors affecting that in patients with type 2 diabetes having more than 3 years of follow-up...
- Coexpression of the type 2 diabetes susceptibility gene variants KCNJ11 E23K and ABCC8 S1369A alter the ATP and sulfonylurea sensitivities of the ATP-sensitive K(+) channel
Kevin S C Hamming
Department of Pharmacology, Alberta Diabetes Institute, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes 58:2419-24. 2009
..Furthermore, there have been no studies of the S1369A variant or the combined effect of the two on K(ATP) channel function...
- Persistence patterns with oral antidiabetes drug treatment in newly treated patients--a population-based study
Jean Pierre Grégoire
Faculty of Pharmacy, Universite Laval, Quebec, QC, Canada
Value Health 13:820-8. 2010
..We assessed persistence patterns with oral antidiabetes drug (OAD) in patients newly dispensed with different OAD classes...
- Fifty-two-week efficacy and safety of vildagliptin vs. glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled on metformin monotherapy
Department of Internal Medicine and CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:157-66. 2009
..The primary objective was to demonstrate non-inferiority of vildagliptin vs. glimepiride in glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA(1c)) reduction at week 52...
- Glimepiride: evidence-based facts, trends, and observations (GIFTS). [corrected]
Department of Medicine, Baqai Institute of Diabetology and Endocrinology, Baqai Medical University, Karachi, Pakistan
Vasc Health Risk Manag 8:463-72. 2012
..It is effective in reducing fasting plasma glucose, post-prandial glucose, and glycosylated hemoglobin levels and is a useful, cost-effective treatment option for managing type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Triple therapy with glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled by metformin and a thiazolidinedione: results of a 30-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study
Victor Lawrence Roberts
Clin Ther 27:1535-47. 2005
..This study evaluated the efficacy and tolerability of glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus that was inadequately controlled with a combination of immediate- or extended-release metformin and a thiazolidinedione...
- The effects of acute exercise on metabolic control in type II diabetic patients treated with glimepiride or glibenclamide
Department of Internal Medicine and Endocrine and Metabolic Science, University of Perugia, Italy
Horm Metab Res 28:451-5. 1996
- Regulation of the atherogenic properties of vascular smooth muscle proteoglycans by oral anti-hyperglycemic agents
Stephanie T de Dios
Cell Biology of Diabetes Laboratory, Baker Heart Research Institute, PO Box 6492, Melbourne, Victoria 8008, Australia
J Diabetes Complications 21:108-17. 2007
..The data indicate that TZDs show anti-atherogenic actions through the modification of proteoglycan structure, leading to a possible reduction in lipid retention in the vessel wall...
- Reconstitution of IKATP: an inward rectifier subunit plus the sulfonylurea receptor
Division of Molecular Medicine, Chiba University School of Medicine, Japan
Science 270:1166-70. 1995
..Gene mapping data show that these two potassium channel subunit genes are clustered on human chromosome 11 at position 11p15.1...
- Exenatide exhibits dose-dependent effects on glycemic control over 12 weeks in Japanese patients with suboptimally controlled type 2 diabetes
Department of Metabolic Diseases, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 56:415-24. 2009
..044, trend test). Over 12 weeks, exenatide dose-dependently improved glycemic control in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Sulfonylurea stimulation of insulin secretion
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford University, UK
Diabetes 51:S368-76. 2002
..We also clarify the mechanism by which MgADP produces an apparent increase of sulfonylurea efficacy on channels containing SUR1 (but not SUR2)...
- Sulfonylurea use before stroke does not influence outcome
Christopher G Favilla
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 3 West Gates Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Stroke 42:710-5. 2011
..Human data on sulfonylureas in acute stroke are sparse and conflicting. We aimed to measure the potential neuroprotective effect of prestroke sulfonylurea use in diabetic patients...
- Role of sulfonylureas in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: Part II--"The cons"
R J Heine
Department of Endocrinology, Academisch Ziekenhuis Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Horm Metab Res 28:522-6. 1996
..These observations need further confirmation. Of clinical importance is the frequent occurrence of hypoglycaemia for which several risk factors are recognized...
- Effects of glimepiride on HbA(1c) and body weight in Type 2 diabetes: results of a 1.5-year follow-up study
1st Department of Medicine, St Johanns Spital Salzburg General Hospital, Salzburg, Austria
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 61:13-9. 2003
..005, respectively). Therefore, once daily glimepiride provides effective glycaemic control, and may have advantages over other sulphonylureas, because it exhibits weight neutralizing/reducing effects in patients with Type 2 diabetes...
- Metabolic variations with oral antidiabetic drugs in patients with Type 2 diabetes: comparison between glimepiride and metformin
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Diabetes Nutr Metab 17:143-50. 2004
..These reductions may be owing to improved glucose metabolism, but it cannot be excluded that these drugs have a direct effect on additional metabolic parameters...
- Is combination sulfonylurea and insulin therapy useful in NIDDM patients? A metaanalysis
J A Pugh
Audie L Murphy Memorial Veterans Hospital, San Antonio, Texas 78284
Diabetes Care 15:953-9. 1992
..To assess the efficacy of combination therapy with insulin and sulfonylurea in the treatment of NIDDM...
- Beta-cell-mediated signaling predominates over direct alpha-cell signaling in the regulation of glucagon secretion in humans
Benjamin A Cooperberg
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipid Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Diabetes Care 32:2275-80. 2009
..Given evidence of both indirect and direct signaling, we tested the hypothesis that increased beta-cell-mediated signaling of alpha-cells negates direct alpha-cell signaling in the regulation of glucagon secretion in humans...
- Improved glycaemic control with minimal hypoglycaemia and no weight change with the once-daily human glucagon-like peptide-1 analogue liraglutide as add-on to sulphonylurea in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes
Diabetes and Endocrine Division, Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Okayama 701 0192, Japan
Diabetes Obes Metab 12:341-7. 2010
..Sulphonylureas (SUs) are often used as first-line treatments for type 2 diabetes in Japan, hence it is important to study new antidiabetic drugs in combination with SUs in Japanese patients...
- Glycemic and weight changes after persistent use of incident oral diabetes therapy: a Veterans Administration retrospective cohort study
Mary Margaret Huizinga
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:1108-12. 2010
..Data on comparative effectiveness of OADs in other populations is limited. The objective was to compare the effectiveness of incident OAD regimens in reducing A1C and to compare the effect of OADs on body mass index (BMI)...
- The effect of glimepiride on pancreatic beta-cell function under hyperglycaemic clamp and hyperinsulinaemic, euglycaemic clamp conditions in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
H E Clark
Oxford Diabetes Centre, Radcliffe Infirmary, United Kingdom
Horm Metab Res 28:445-50. 1996
..The magnitude and hence, the clinical relevance of a selective beta-cytotropic action, determined by blood glucose concentration, remains to be demonstrated...
- Dose-response relation between sulfonylurea drugs and mortality in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a population-based cohort study
Scot H Simpson
Institute of Health Economics, Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
CMAJ 174:169-74. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to determine if the risk of death changes with level of exposure to sulfonylurea drugs...
- Clinical evaluation of glimepiride versus glyburide in NIDDM in a double-blind comparative study. Glimepiride/Glyburide Research Group
D G Dills
Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Horm Metab Res 28:426-9. 1996
..Similar decreases in both fasting plasma glucose and HbA1C were found using glimepiride and glyburide. There was a lower incidence of hypoglycemia with glimepiride than glyburide...
- Pharmacokinetic basis for the safety of glimepiride in risk groups of NIDDM patients
Hoechst AG, Frankfurt, Germany
Horm Metab Res 28:434-9. 1996
..Studies described here show that the pharmacokinetics of glimepiride are altered in renal disease but may not be seriously affected in patients with liver disease...
- Change in patients' body weight after 12 months of treatment with glimepiride or glibenclamide in Type 2 diabetes: a multicentre retrospective cohort study
Clinical Department, German Diabetes Centre at the Heinrich Heine University, Auf m Hennekamp 65, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Diabetologia 46:1611-7. 2003
..Our study compared the effects of glimepiride or glibenclamide treatment on body weight over 12 months of treatment in patients with Type 2 diabetes in routine outpatient practice...