Genomes and Genes
Summary: An intravenous anesthetic agent which has the advantage of a very rapid onset after infusion or bolus injection plus a very short recovery period of a couple of minutes. (From Smith and Reynard, Textbook of Pharmacology, 1992, 1st ed, p206)
Publications348 found, 100 shown here
- Binding of the general anesthetics propofol and halothane to human serum albumin. High resolution crystal structuresA A Bhattacharya
Biophysics Section, The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BW, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 275:38731-8. 2000..Here we describe high resolution crystal structures of HSA with two of the most widely used general anesthetics, propofol and halothane...
- Cortical and subcortical connectivity changes during decreasing levels of consciousness in humans: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study using propofolRoisin Ni Mhuircheartaigh
Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance of the Brain FMRIB, Department of Clinical Neurology and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:9095-102. 2010..2000; Mashour, 2006). We investigated the effects of propofol, widely used for anesthesia and sedation, on spontaneous and evoked cerebral activity using functional magnetic ..
- The influence of method of administration and covariates on the pharmacokinetics of propofol in adult volunteersT W Schnider
Institut für Anästhesie und Intensivmedizin, Inselspital, Universitat Bern, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 88:1170-82. 1998Unresolved issues with propofol include whether the pharmacokinetics are linear with dose, are influenced by method of administration (bolus vs. infusion), or are influenced by age...
- Brain functional integration decreases during propofol-induced loss of consciousnessJessica Schrouff
Cyclotron Research Centre, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Neuroimage 57:198-205. 2011..In this paper, we tested the hypothesis that the loss of consciousness caused by propofol anesthesia is associated with a significant reduction in the capacity of the brain to integrate information...
- Connectivity changes underlying spectral EEG changes during propofol-induced loss of consciousnessMelanie Boly
Coma Science Group, Cyclotron Research Centre and Neurology Department, University of Liège and Sart Tilman Hospital, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Neurosci 32:7082-90. 2012..Recent electrophysiological reports suggest that while initial propofol infusion provokes an increase in fast rhythms (from beta to gamma range), slow activity (from delta to alpha ..
- Thalamocortical model for a propofol-induced alpha-rhythm associated with loss of consciousnessShinung Ching
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22665-70. 2010Recent data reveal that the general anesthetic propofol gives rise to a frontal α-rhythm at dose levels sufficient to induce loss of consciousness...
- Granger causality analysis of steady-state electroencephalographic signals during propofol-induced anaesthesiaAdam B Barrett
Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science, Department of Informatics, University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e29072. 2012..We apply the method to EEG data obtained from subjects undergoing propofol-induced anaesthesia, with signals source-localized to the anterior and posterior cingulate cortices...
- Breakdown of within- and between-network resting state functional magnetic resonance imaging connectivity during propofol-induced loss of consciousnessPierre Boveroux
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Anesthesiology 113:1038-53. 2010..Resting-state functional magnetic resonance imaging allows investigating whole-brain connectivity changes during pharmacological modulation of the level of consciousness...
- Propofol inhibits superoxide production, elastase release, and chemotaxis in formyl peptide-activated human neutrophils by blocking formyl peptide receptor 1Shun Chin Yang
Department of Anesthesiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
J Immunol 190:6511-9. 2013..b>Propofol, a widely used i.v. anesthetic, has been shown to modulate immunoinflammatory responses...
- Rapid fragmentation of neuronal networks at the onset of propofol-induced unconsciousnessLaura D Lewis
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Harvard Massachusetts Institute of Technology Division of Health Sciences and Technology, and Institute for Medical Engineering and Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E3377-86. 2012..We show that propofol-induced unconsciousness occurs within seconds of the abrupt onset of a slow (<1 Hz) oscillation in the local ..
- Distinct functional and pharmacological properties of tonic and quantal inhibitory postsynaptic currents mediated by gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) receptors in hippocampal neuronsD Bai
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mol Pharmacol 59:814-24. 2001..compounds that potentiate GABA(A) receptor function including the benzodiazepine, midazolam, and anesthetic, propofol, prolonged the duration of mIPSCs and increased tonic current amplitude in cultured neurons to different extents...
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam or propofol for sedation during prolonged mechanical ventilation: two randomized controlled trialsStephan M Jakob
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Bern University Hospital and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
JAMA 307:1151-60. 2012Long-term sedation with midazolam or propofol in intensive care units (ICUs) has serious adverse effects...
- Changes in resting neural connectivity during propofol sedationEmmanuel A Stamatakis
Division of Anaesthesia, School of Clinical Medicine, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e14224. 2010....
- Protection by remote ischemic preconditioning during coronary artery bypass graft surgery with isoflurane but not propofol - a clinical trialE Kottenberg
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Germany
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:30-8. 2012..Specifically, we hypothesized that RIPC during isoflurane anesthesia attenuates myocardial injury in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery, and that effects may be different during propofol anesthesia.
- Electroencephalogram signatures of loss and recovery of consciousness from propofolPatrick L Purdon
Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E1142-51. 2013..GA, we recorded high-density EEGs in humans during gradual induction of and emergence from unconsciousness with propofol. The subjects executed an auditory task at 4-s intervals consisting of interleaved verbal and click stimuli to ..
- Synergy of isoflurane preconditioning and propofol postconditioning reduces myocardial reperfusion injury in patientsZhiyong Huang
Department of Anesthesia, Sun Yat sen Cardiovascular Hospital, Shenzhen, People s Republic of China
Clin Sci (Lond) 121:57-69. 2011Either isoflurane preconditioning or high-dose propofol treatment has been shown to attenuate myocardial IRI (ischaemia/reperfusion injury) in patients undergoing CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) surgery...
- Propofol inhibits the activation of p38 through up-regulating the expression of annexin A1 to exert its anti-inflammation effectJing Tang
Department of Anesthesia, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e27890. 2011..In recent years, the in vivo and in vitro role of intravenous anesthetic propofol in inhibiting inflammatory response has been attracting more and more attention, but the anti-inflammatory ..
- Stable and dynamic cortical electrophysiology of induction and emergence with propofol anesthesiaJonathan D Breshears
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:21170-5. 2010..a unique comprehensive recording of invasive human cortical physiology during both induction and emergence from propofol anesthesia...
- Intravenous anesthetic, propofol inhibits invasion of cancer cellsTadanori Mammoto
Department of Anesthesiology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, 1 3 3, Nakamichi, Higashinari, Osaka 537 8511, Japan
Cancer Lett 184:165-70. 2002Intravenous anesthetic, propofol (2,6-diisopropylphenol), is extensively used for general anesthesia without knowing the effects on cancer...
- Altered thalamocortical functional connectivity by propofol anesthesia in ratsYe Tu
Department of Anesthesiology, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, China
Pharmacology 88:322-6. 2011..In the present study, we examined the action of propofol (a sedative-hypnotic drug commonly used as anesthetic) on thalamocortical functional connectivity in rats by ..
- Protective effects of early treatment with propofol on endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in ratsJ Gao
Department of Anesthesiology, Union, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430022, Hubei, China
Br J Anaesth 92:277-9. 2004To investigate the effects of propofol administration on acute lung injury in endotoxin-induced shock in rats.
- The influence of propofol or desflurane on postoperative cognitive dysfunction in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgeryC F Royse
Anaesthesia and Pain Management Unit, Department of Pharmacology, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Victoria
Anaesthesia 66:455-64. 2011We investigated the influence of either propofol or desflurane on the incidence of postoperative cognitive dysfunction in a randomised trial of 180 patients undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery...
- The role of phosphoinositide-3-kinase/Akt pathway in propofol-induced postconditioning against focal cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in ratsHai Yun Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, General Hospital of Tianjin Medical University, Anshan Road No 154, Heping District, Tianjin, 300052, China
Brain Res 1297:177-84. 2009The aim of this study was to investigate whether propofol could provide postconditioning to ischemic brain injury and the role of phosphoinositide-3-kinase/Akt (PI3K/Akt) pathway in this phenomenon...
- Spatiotemporal reconfiguration of large-scale brain functional networks during propofol-induced loss of consciousnessManuel S Schröter
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, 80804 Munich, Germany
J Neurosci 32:12832-40. 2012..fMRI), we investigated whole-brain functional connectivity of 11 healthy volunteers during wakefulness and propofol-induced loss of consciousness (PI-LOC)...
- Propofol and tourniquet induced ischaemia reperfusion injury in lower extremity operationsR Turan
The Ministry of Health Ankara Research and Training Hospital, Clinic of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:185-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of three different modes of propofol use on tourniquet induced IR injury in lower extremity operations.
- Comparison of the effect of propofol and N-acetyl cysteine in preventing ischaemia-reperfusion injuryEngin Erturk
Department of Anesthesiology, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 26:279-84. 2009The aim of this study was to compare the effects of propofol and N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) on tourniquet-induced ischaemia-reperfusion injury by determining malonyldialdehyde, ischaemia-modified albumin, lactate, blood gas and haemodynamic ..
- The thalamus and brainstem act as key hubs in alterations of human brain network connectivity induced by mild propofol sedationTommaso Gili
Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre, School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, CF10 3AT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 33:4024-31. 2013..Here, we used the anesthetic agent, propofol, to modulate consciousness and to evaluate differences in the interactions of remote neural networks during ..
- Propofol anesthesia and sleep: a high-density EEG studyMichael Murphy
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Sleep 34:283-91A. 2011..We used high-density electroencephalography (hd-EEG) and source modeling to investigate the cortical processes underlying propofol anesthesia and compare them to sleep.
- Trained registered nurses/endoscopy teams can administer propofol safely for endoscopyDouglas K Rex
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Gastroenterology 129:1384-91. 2005b>Propofol has advantages as a sedative for endoscopic procedures. Its administration by anesthesia specialists is associated with high cost...
- Incidence of sedation-related complications with propofol use during advanced endoscopic proceduresGregory A Cote
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:137-42. 2010b>Propofol is an effective sedative in advanced endoscopy. However, the incidence of sedation-related complications is unclear...
- Anesthetic propofol attenuates the isoflurane-induced caspase-3 activation and Aβ oligomerizationYiying Zhang
Geriatric Anesthesia Research Unit, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e27019. 2011..In contrast, propofol, the most commonly used intravenous anesthetic, has been reported to have neuroprotective effects...
- Small-dose propofol sedation attenuates the formation of reactive oxygen species in tourniquet-induced ischemia-reperfusion injury under spinal anesthesiaYa Jung Cheng
Department of Anesthesiology, Office for Medical Research Administration, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 7 Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan 10016, Republic of China
Anesth Analg 94:1617-20, table of contents. 2002..investigated the effects on ROS production in 22 adult ASA physical status I-II patients sedated with small-dose propofol infusion and IV midazolam undergoing elective total knee replacement under intrathecal anesthesia, allocated ..
- Inhaled anesthetic enhancement of amyloid-beta oligomerization and cytotoxicityRoderic G Eckenhoff
Department of Anesthesia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 4283, USA
Anesthesiology 101:703-9. 2004..The authors hypothesize that inhaled anesthetics contribute to these effects through a durable enhancement of peptide oligomerization...
- The directionality and functional organization of frontoparietal connectivity during consciousness and anesthesia in humansUnCheol Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Conscious Cogn 18:1069-78. 2009..directionality and functional organization of frontoparietal connectivity in 10 human subjects anesthetized with propofol on two separate occasions...
- Cognitive function after sevoflurane- vs propofol-based anaesthesia for on-pump cardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trialJ Schoen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Br J Anaesth 106:840-50. 2011..This study was designed to determine cognitive and clinical outcomes after sevoflurane- compared with propofol-based anaesthesia for on-pump cardiac surgery and the impact of decreases in under different anaesthesia regimens.
- Molecular targets underlying general anaesthesiaNicholas P Franks
Biophysics Section, The Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ
Br J Pharmacol 147:S72-81. 2006..For certain intravenous anaesthetics, such as propofol and etomidate, the target has been identified as the GABA(A) receptor, with particular subunits playing a crucial ..
- Meanfield modeling of propofol-induced changes in spontaneous EEG rhythmsRikkert Hindriks
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine, University of Twente, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 60:2323-34. 2012During the maintenance period of propofol-induced general anesthesia, specific changes in spontaneous EEG rhythms can be observed. These comprise increased delta and theta power and the emergence of alpha oscillations over frontal regions...
- Propofol prevents lung injury following intestinal ischemia-reperfusionIoanna Vasileiou
Experimental Surgery Laboratory, Laikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Surg Res 172:146-52. 2012The antioxidant properties of propofol have been shown to improve ischemia/reperfusion injury. We investigated whether anesthesia with propofol can ameliorate remote lung injury induced by intestinal ischemia-reperfusion (IIR).
- Propofol-induced alpha rhythmVladimir A Feshchenko
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Neuropsychobiology 50:257-66. 2004The electroencephalographic effects of two intravenous sedative/hypnotic drugs, propofol and thiopental, were studied at three stable blood concentrations in 52 normal healthy volunteers...
- Sub-clinical hepatic encephalopathy in cirrhotic patients is not aggravated by sedation with propofol compared to midazolam: a randomized controlled studyIyad Khamaysi
Department of Gastroenterology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Hepatol 54:72-7. 2011The risk of exacerbating sub-clinical hepatic encephalopathy (HE) by propofol has not been established...
- Effects of sevoflurane, propofol, and adjunct nitrous oxide on regional cerebral blood flow, oxygen consumption, and blood volume in humansKaike K Kaisti
Department of Anesthesiology, Turku University Hospital, Finland
Anesthesiology 99:603-13. 2003..The authors quantified the effects of sevoflurane and propofol as sole anesthetics and in combination with N2O on regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF), metabolic rate of oxygen (..
- The comparative abilities of propofol and sevoflurane to modulate inflammation and oxidative stress in the kidney after aortic cross-clampingPilar Sanchez-Conde
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
Anesth Analg 106:371-8, table of contents. 2008b>Propofol has been reported to provide protection against ischemia-reperfusion injury. Nuclear transcription factor kappa B (NFkappaB) plays a key role in oxidative stress and the inflammatory response during ischemia-reperfusion...
- Propofol post-conditioning induced long-term neuroprotection and reduced internalization of AMPAR GluR2 subunit in a rat model of focal cerebral ischemia/reperfusionHaiyun Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Tianjin, China
J Neurochem 119:210-9. 2011We previously reported that propofol (20 mg/kg/h) post-conditioning provided acute (up to 24 h) neuroprotection in rats with transient middle cerebral artery occlusion...
- Propofol sedation for upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in patients with liver cirrhosis as an alternative to midazolam to avoid acute deterioration of minimal encephalopathy: a randomized, controlled studyAndrea Riphaus
Department of Internal Medicine I, Gastroenterology and Interventional Endoscopy, Hospital Siloah, Hannover, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:1244-51. 2009..The aim of this randomized, controlled study was to assess whether the use of the short-acting propofol as a sedative for GI endoscopy could prevent the exacerbation of minimal HE in patients with liver cirrhosis.
- Potential network mechanisms mediating electroencephalographic beta rhythm changes during propofol-induced paradoxical excitationMichelle M McCarthy
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Neurosci 28:13488-504. 2008b>Propofol, like most general anesthetic drugs, can induce both behavioral and electroencephalographic (EEG) manifestations of excitation, rather than sedation, at low doses...
- Neurodegeneration in newborn rats following propofol and sevoflurane anesthesiaSven Bercker
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Neurotox Res 16:140-7. 2009b>Propofol and sevoflurane are commonly used drugs in pediatric anesthesia. Exposure of newborn rats to a variety of anesthetics has been shown to induce apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing brain...
- Propofol pretreatment reduces ceramide production and attenuates intestinal mucosal apoptosis induced by intestinal ischemia/reperfusion in ratsKe Xuan Liu
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, No 58, Zhongshan 2th Rd, Guangzhou, China, 510080
Anesth Analg 107:1884-91. 2008..Ceramide has been proposed as a messenger of apoptosis. We investigated if pretreatment with propofol, an anesthetic with antioxidant properties, could reduce ceramide production, and consequently, mucosal ..
- fMRI in the awake marmoset: somatosensory-evoked responses, functional connectivity, and comparison with propofol anesthesiaJunjie V Liu
Cerebral Microcirculation Unit, Laboratory of Functional and Molecular Imaging, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, Building 10, Room B1D106, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuroimage 78:186-95. 2013..in conscious, awake common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus), and compare responses to animals anesthetized with propofol. In conscious marmosets, robust BOLD fMRI responses to somatosensory stimulation of the forearm were found in ..
- Thalamus, brainstem and salience network connectivity changes during propofol-induced sedation and unconsciousnessPieter Guldenmund
Coma Science Group, Cyclotron Research Center, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Brain Connect 3:273-85. 2013In this functional magnetic resonance imaging study, we examined the effect of mild propofol sedation and propofol-induced unconsciousness on resting state brain connectivity, using graph analysis based on independent component analysis ..
- Suppression of cell invasion and migration by propofol are involved in down-regulating matrix metalloproteinase-2 and p38 MAPK signaling in A549 human lung adenocarcinoma epithelial cellsKing Chuen Wu
Department of Anesthesiology, E Da Hospital I Shou University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Anticancer Res 32:4833-42. 2012..Matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are important for the migration and invasion of various types of cancer cell. Propofol is a known anesthetic agent, widely used for short-term anesthesia and for longer-term sedation...
- Neuroprotective effects of pretreatment with propofol in LPS-induced BV-2 microglia cells: role of TLR4 and GSK-3βBo Gui
Department of Anesthesiology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, 300 Guangzhou Road, Nanjing 210029, China
Inflammation 35:1632-40. 2012Surgery often leads to neuroinflammation, which mainly acts as the activation of microglia cells. Propofol is always used for induction and maintenance of anesthesia prior to surgical trauma, whereas whether or not it could attenuate ..
- Anaesthetic binding sites for etomidate and propofol on a GABAA receptor modelValérie Campagna-Slater
Department of Chemistry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3H 4J3
Neurosci Lett 418:28-33. 2007..close to the membrane-extracellular interface, is capped by Met286 (TM3), a residue thought to be involved in the propofol binding site. Potential interactions of etomidate and propofol with other side-chains were also identified.
- Propofol: therapeutic indications and side-effectsPaul E Marik
Department of Critical Car Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Curr Pharm Des 10:3639-49. 2004b>Propofol (2, 6-diisopropylphenol) is a potent intravenous hypnotic agent which is widely used for the induction and maintenance of anesthesia and for sedation in the intensive care unit...
- Sevoflurane but not propofol increases interstitial glycolysis metabolites availability during tourniquet-induced ischaemia-reperfusionM Carles
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Archet Hospital, University of Nice, 151 Route de St Antoine Ginestière, 06202 Nice, France
Br J Anaesth 100:29-35. 2008..The authors hypothesized that anaesthetic regimens can influence skeletal muscle tolerance to tourniquet-induced I/R that should be reflected by the interstitial metabolite levels of anaerobic glycolysis...
- Propofol attenuation of hydrogen peroxide-mediated oxidative stress and apoptosis in cultured cardiomyocytes involves haeme oxygenase-1J J Xu
Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Department of Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Research Laboratory, Wuhan, PR China
Eur J Anaesthesiol 25:395-402. 2008Our aim was to investigate the cytoprotective effect of propofol against hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)-mediated injury and the effects on the haeme oxygenase-1 system, which is a possible new cytoprotective pathway of propofol.
- Metabolic profiling of hearts exposed to sevoflurane and propofol reveals distinct regulation of fatty acid and glucose oxidation: CD36 and pyruvate dehydrogenase as key regulators in anesthetic-induced fuel shiftLianguo Wang
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Anesthesiology 113:541-51. 2010..This study profiled the metabolites and metabolic changes in the myocardium exposed to sevoflurane, propofol, and Intralipid and investigated the underlying molecular mechanisms.
- Enhanced glucose uptake via GLUT4 fuels recovery from calcium overload after ischaemia-reperfusion injury in sevoflurane- but not propofol-treated heartsE Lucchinetti
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Cardiovascular Research Centre, Department of Pediatrics, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Br J Anaesth 106:792-800. 2011So far, no study has explored the effects of sevoflurane, propofol, and Intralipid on metabolic flux rates of fatty acid oxidation (FOX) and glucose oxidation (GOX) in hearts exposed to ischaemia-reperfusion.
- Use of target controlled infusion to derive age and gender covariates for propofol clearanceMartin White
Department of Anaesthesiology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Pharmacokinet 47:119-27. 2008Attempts to describe the variability of propofol pharmacokinetics in adults and to derive population covariates have been sparse and limited mainly to experiments based on bolus doses or infusions in healthy volunteers...
- Clinically relevant concentrations of propofol but not midazolam alter in vitro dendritic development of isolated gamma-aminobutyric acid-positive interneuronsLaszlo Vutskits
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 102:970-6. 2005Recent laboratory studies showed that exposure to supraclinical concentrations of propofol can induce cell death of immature neurons...
- Propofol infusion versus intermittent meperidine and midazolam injection for conscious sedation in ERCPPradermchai Kongkam
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 17:291-7. 2008ERCP generally requires longer time than standard endoscopy. Only few studies have shown benefit of intermittent propofol over conventional sedation...
- Spectral entropy measurement of patient responsiveness during propofol and remifentanil. A comparison with the bispectral indexA L G Vanluchene
Department of Anaesthesia, Gent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Gent, Belgium
Br J Anaesth 93:645-54. 2004..entropy (RE), based on the irregularity of the EEG, to measure loss of response to verbal command (LOR(verbal)) and noxious stimulus (LOR(noxious)) with the bispectral index (BIS) during propofol infusion with and without remifentanil.
- Propofol and halothane versus sevoflurane in paediatric day-case surgery: induction and recovery characteristicsJ K Moore
Wirral Hospital Trust, Cheshire CH49 5PE, UK
Br J Anaesth 90:461-6. 2003The aim of this study was to compare the induction and recovery characteristics associated with propofol induction and halothane maintenance with sevoflurane anaesthesia in paediatric day surgery.
- Sevoflurane vs. propofol in patients with coronary disease undergoing mitral surgery: a randomised studyE Bignami
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Universita Vita Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:482-90. 2012..We therefore performed a randomised controlled trial (sevoflurane vs. propofol) to compare cardiac troponin release in patients with coronary disease undergoing mitral surgery.
- Possible anaphylaxis after propofol in a child with food allergyKristi N Hofer
Department of Pharmacy Services, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:398-401. 2003To report a case of anaphylaxis due to propofol in a child with allergies to egg and peanut oil.
- Prevention of pain on injection of propofol: a comparison of remifentanil with alfentanil in childrenA Rahman Al-Refai
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Al Sabah Hospital, Kuwait
Minerva Anestesiol 73:219-23. 2007b>Propofol has a high incidence of pain on injection, particularly when a vein on the back of hand is used. Administration of lidocaine, either before or mixed with propofol remains the most widely used method to attenuate this pain...
- The influence of age on propofol pharmacodynamicsT W Schnider
Institut für Anästhesie und Intensivbehandlung, Inselspital, Universitat Bern, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 90:1502-16. 1999The authors studied the influence of age on the pharmacodynamics of propofol, including characterization of the relation between plasma concentration and the time course of drug effect.
- Propofol sedation during endoscopy in patients with cirrhosis, and utility of psychometric tests and critical flicker frequency in assessment of recovery from sedationP Sharma
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, India
Endoscopy 43:400-5. 2011..Patients with cirrhosis who undergo endoscopy under sedation could be at increased risk of complications. We assessed the utility of the critical flicker frequency (CFF) in the recovery of cognitive function...
- Long-term sedation in intensive care unit: a randomized comparison between inhaled sevoflurane and intravenous propofol or midazolamMalcie Mesnil
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Lapeyronie DAR A, Montpellier I University and Montpellier University Lapeyronie Hospital, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Equipe soutenue par la Région et l Inserm ERI 25, route de Ganges, 34295 Montpellier, Cedex 5, France
Intensive Care Med 37:933-41. 2011To evaluate efficacy and adverse events related to inhaled sevoflurane for long-term sedation compared with standard intravenous (i.v.) sedation with propofol or midazolam.
- Propofol induction reduces the capacity for neural information integration: implications for the mechanism of consciousness and general anesthesiaUnCheol Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0048, USA
Conscious Cogn 18:56-64. 2009..EEG) recordings were obtained from 14 subjects undergoing induction of general anesthesia with propofol. We quantified changes in mean information integration capacity in each band of the EEG...
- Evaluation of the predictive performance of four pharmacokinetic models for propofolJ B Glen
Research Department, Glen Pharma Ltd, 35A Bexton Road, Knutsford, Cheshire, UK
Br J Anaesth 102:626-32. 2009This study has compared the predictive performance of four pharmacokinetic models, two of which are currently incorporated in commercial target-controlled infusion pumps for the administration of propofol.
- Adverse events during monitored anesthesia care for GI endoscopy: an 8-year experienceMassimo Agostoni
Department of Anesthesiology, Vita Salute University of Milan, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 74:266-75. 2011..The importance of sedation during endoscopy is well established. There is no consensus about the best techniques for sedation, which specialist should perform it, and in which location...
- The effect of prolonged anesthesia with isoflurane, propofol, dexmedetomidine, or ketamine on neural cell proliferation in the adult ratAvery Tung
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anesth Analg 106:1772-7. 2008..To test this hypothesis, we investigated the effects of prolonged anesthesia with four different anesthetics on hippocampal cell proliferation in young and older rats...
- The effect of lidocaine on the globule size distribution of propofol emulsionsJong Woo Park
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, South Korea
Anesth Analg 97:769-71. 2003In this study, we sought to determine the globule size distribution of a propofol/lidocaine mixture as a function of lidocaine concentration and time elapsed after mixing in a standard formulation of propofol emulsion (Diprivan) and in a ..
- Reduction of pain during induction with target-controlled propofol and remifentanilJ R Lee
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul National University Hospital, 28, Yongon Dong, Jongno gu, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Br J Anaesth 99:876-80. 2007Pain on injection of propofol is unpleasant...
- Treatment of refractory status epilepticus with pentobarbital, propofol, or midazolam: a systematic reviewJan Claassen
Department of Neurology, Division of Critical Care Neurology, and The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Neurological Institute, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Epilepsia 43:146-53. 2002..This systematic review compares the efficacy of midazolam (MDL), propofol (PRO), and pentobarbital (PTB) for terminating seizures and improving outcome in RSE patients.
- Propofol directly increases tau phosphorylationRobert A Whittington
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16648. 2011..However, the effects of propofol, a common clinically used intravenous anesthetic, on tau phosphorylation under normothermic conditions are ..
- Defining the propofol binding site location on the GABAA receptorMoez Bali
Department of Physiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Mol Pharmacol 65:68-76. 2004..To determine whether these residues are part of a binding site for propofol, an intravenous anesthetic, we probed propofol's ability to protect cysteines substituted for these residues from ..
- Propofol inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced lung epithelial cell injury by reducing hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha expressionC H Yeh
Institute of Medical Science, College of Health Science, Chang Jung Christian University, Tainan, Taiwan
Br J Anaesth 106:590-9. 2011..We investigated the effect of propofol on HIF-1α expression and acute lung injury in LPS-treated mice.
- Attenuation of acute lung injury with propofol in endotoxemiaYumiko Takao
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kusunoki cho 7, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Anesth Analg 100:810-6, table of contents. 2005Endotoxin causes acute lung injury (ALI) through many mediators of inflammatory and immune responses. Propofol is an antiinflammatory and immunosuppressive drug...
- A comparison of the effect of total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol and remifentanil and inhalational anaesthesia with isoflurane on the release of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in patients undergoing open cholecystectomyJ J Ke
Department of Anesthesiology, Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University, Hubei Province, Peoples Republic of China
Anaesth Intensive Care 36:74-8. 2008..Group R received total intravenous anaesthesia with propofol and remifentanil and group F received balanced inhalational anaesthesia with isoflurane...
- Comparison of surgical conditions during propofol or sevoflurane anaesthesia for endoscopic sinus surgeryH J Ahn
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine 135 710, 50 Ilwon Dong, Kangnam Ku, Seoul, Korea
Br J Anaesth 100:50-4. 2008..This study compared the surgical condition and the amount of intra-nasal bleeding between patients given sevoflurane/remifentanil (SR) and propofol/remifentanil (PR) anaesthesia.
- Propofol impairment of mitochondrial respiration in isolated perfused guinea pig hearts determined by reflectance spectroscopyK A Schenkman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Crit Care Med 28:172-7. 2000To simultaneously determine the effect of propofol on myocardial oxygenation, mitochondrial function, and whole organ function in an isolated heart model, using optical reflectance spectroscopy.
- Comparison of recovery profile after ambulatory anesthesia with propofol, isoflurane, sevoflurane and desflurane: a systematic reviewAnil Gupta
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesth Analg 98:632-41, table of contents. 2004..A second search strategy was used combining two of the words "propofol," "isoflurane," "sevoflurane," or "desflurane"...
- Comparative evaluation of the Datex-Ohmeda S/5 Entropy Module and the Bispectral Index monitor during propofol-remifentanil anesthesiaGunter N Schmidt
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 101:1283-90. 2004..The aim of the current study was to compare the accuracy of SE and RE with the Bispectral Index(R) monitor (BIS(R); Aspect Medical Systems, Newton, MA) during propofol-remifentanil anesthesia.
- Effectiveness, safety, and pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic characteristics of microemulsion propofol in patients undergoing elective surgery under total intravenous anaesthesiaJ A Jung
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388 1 Pungnap 2 dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 736, Korea
Br J Anaesth 104:563-76. 2010The aims of this study were to investigate the effectiveness, safety, pharmacokinetics, and pharmacodynamics of microemulsion propofol, Aquafol (Daewon Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd, Seoul, Republic of Korea).
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of propofol microemulsion and lipid emulsion after an intravenous bolus and variable rate infusionKye Min Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Sanggye Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Anesthesiology 106:924-34. 2007The aim of this trial was to evaluate the induction and recovery characteristics of microemulsion propofol (Aquafol; Daewon Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea). Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and safety profile were investigated...
- Bispectral index monitoring allows faster emergence and improved recovery from propofol, alfentanil, and nitrous oxide anesthesia. BIS Utility Study GroupT J Gan
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 87:808-15. 1997..This study determined whether addition of BIS monitoring to standard anesthetic practice results in improvements in the conduct of anesthesia or in patient outcomes...
- Modulation of remifentanil-induced postinfusion hyperalgesia by propofolBoris Singler
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Erlangen, Erlangen, Germany
Anesth Analg 104:1397-403, table of contents. 2007..In this investigation we sought to determine the analgesic and antihyperalgesic properties of propofol in subhypnotic concentrations on remifentanil-induced postinfusion hypersensitivity in an experimental human pain ..
- Cortical processing of complex auditory stimuli during alterations of consciousness with the general anesthetic propofolGilles Plourde
Department of Anesthesia, McGill University
Anesthesiology 104:448-57. 2006..functional magnetic resonance imaging to examine the processing words (10 per period; compared with scrambled words) and nonspeech human vocal sounds (10 per period; compared with environmental sounds) during propofol anesthesia.
- Bispectral index-guided sedation with dexmedetomidine in intensive care: a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled phase II studyAndreas E Triltsch
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Benjamin Franklin Medical Center, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Crit Care Med 30:1007-14. 2002To compare dexmedetomidine vs. placebo with respect to the amount of additional propofol and morphine used for bispectral index-guided sedation and analgesia in mechanically ventilated, intensive care patients after surgery.
- Neonatal exposure to a combination of N-methyl-D-aspartate and gamma-aminobutyric acid type A receptor anesthetic agents potentiates apoptotic neurodegeneration and persistent behavioral deficitsAnders Fredriksson
Department of Neuroscience, Psychiatry Ulleraker, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Anesthesiology 107:427-36. 2007..This study examined whether different anesthetic agents, alone and in combination, administered to neonate mice, can trigger apoptosis and whether behavioral deficits occur later in adulthood...
- The efficacy, side effects, and recovery characteristics of dexmedetomidine versus propofol when used for intraoperative sedationShahbaz R Arain
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and VA Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Anesth Analg 95:461-6, table of contents. 2002We evaluated the cardio-respiratory effects of equi-sedative doses of dexmedetomidine and propofol for intraoperative sedation...
- Identification of a fluorescent general anesthetic, 1-aminoanthraceneChristopher A Butts
Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, 231 South 34th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:6501-6. 2009..Thus, 1-AMA provides an unprecedented opportunity for studying general anesthetic distribution in vivo at the cellular and subcellular levels...
- Comparison of plasma compartment versus two methods for effect compartment--controlled target-controlled infusion for propofolM M Struys
Department of Anesthesia, the University Hospital of Gent, Belgium
Anesthesiology 92:399-406. 2000..The authors tested this by comparing the performance of three control algorithms: plasmacontrol TCI versus two algorithms for effect-site control TCI...
- Propofol alone titrated to deep sedation versus propofol in combination with opioids and/or benzodiazepines and titrated to moderate sedation for colonoscopyMegan E VanNatta
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2209-17. 2006b>Propofol by nonanesthesiologists is controversial because the drug is commonly used to produce deep sedation or general anesthesia...
- Population pharmacokinetics of propofol: a multicenter studyJ Schuttler
Department of Anesthesiology, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
Anesthesiology 92:727-38. 2000Target-controlled infusion is an increasingly common type of administration for propofol. This method requires accurate knowledge of pharmacokinetics, including the effects of age and weight...
- Propofol protects hepatic L02 cells from hydrogen peroxide-induced apoptosis via activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases pathwayHao Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, 180 Fenglin Road, Shanghai 200032, People s Republic of China
Anesth Analg 107:534-40. 2008b>Propofol protects cells against ischemia/reperfusion injury in several organs, but there are few reports of its effect on liver epithelial cells...
- Ondansetron pretreatment to alleviate pain on propofol injection: a randomized, controlled, double-blinded studyS P Ambesh
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Anesth Analg 89:197-9. 1999..design to study the effect of ondansetron (OND) pretreatment on the pain produced by the IV injection of propofol. Eighty patients were randomly assigned to one of two groups: Group I received 2 mL of IV 0...
- Dose requirement and complications of diluted and undiluted propofol for deep sedation in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographySomchai Amornyotin
Department of Anesthesiology and Siriraj GI Endoscopy Center, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 10:313-8. 2011In general, the dose requirement and complications of propofol are lower when used in the diluted form than in the undiluted form...
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) in children sedated with propofol or midazolamMarco Gemma
Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit, Head and Neck Department, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:253-8. 2009..This study compares the effect of propofol and midazolam on the fMRI auditory activation pattern in children...
- Assessment of surgical stress during general anaesthesiaM Huiku
Clinical Research, GE Healthcare Finland Oy, PO Box 900, FI 00031 GE, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Anaesth 98:447-55. 2007..No objective measures of the adequacy of analgesia exist. We aimed at developing a simple numerical measure of the level of surgical stress in an anaesthetized patient...
- Potentiation of Glycine Receptors by EthanolLUIS GERARDO AGUAYO; Fiscal Year: 2010..Remarkably, it was shown that these sites did not participate in the modulation of GlyRs by propofol, isoflurane and long chain alcohols indicating a novel and selective new site for ethanol...
- Propofol Interactions with GABA-A ReceptorsMYLES AKABAS; Fiscal Year: 2009..The long term goal of this project is to elucidate the molecular bases of general anesthesia. Propofol, a widely used intravenous general anesthetic, is the major focus of this project...
- Propofol and Protein Kinase C: Molecular Interactions in CardiomyocytesDEREK SCOTT DAMRON; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our primary goal is to identify the cellular signaling pathways by which the intravenous anesthetic, propofol, acts as a ligand to activate PKCe, and to delineate the molecular mechanism by which interaction and activation ..
- General Anesthetic Sites in GABA-A Receptor Subunit Interfacial PocketsStuart A Forman; Fiscal Year: 2013..A (GABAA) receptors in the central nervous system are major targets of the potent general anesthetics etomidate, propofol, barbiturates, and neuroactive steroids...
- Altering Sedation Paradigms to Improve Brain Injury and Survival in Severe SepsisPratik Pandharipande; Fiscal Year: 2013..Therefore, the short-acting GABA-ergic sedative propofol and the alpha2 agonist dexmedetomidine are becoming widely used to sedate septic MV patients...
- Crosby_Gregory_Mechanisms of Post-Anesthetic CNS Dysfunction in AgingGregory Crosby; Fiscal Year: 2012..on dendritic spine morphogenesis, synaptogenesis, and neurogenesis to test the hypotheses that isoflurane but not propofol 1. causes sustained disruption of mechanisms underlying spine and synapse formation;and 2...
- The geriatric surgical patient: stress, anesthetics, and functional outcomesStacie Deiner; Fiscal Year: 2012..This has only been possible in the past several years when the development of improved medications (e.g. propofol) has made it possible to conduct an anesthetic without gas...
- Adiponectin Polymorphisms, Insulin Resistance, and Pharmacokinetics in ObesityJerry Ingrande; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this study is to examine the effect of insulin resistance on the PK/PD of highly lipophillic drugs (using propofol and fentanyl as models) in the obese population...
- Design and synthesis of novel anticonvulsant molecules.Rajesh Kumar Mishra; Fiscal Year: 2011..Max Baker at the University of Iowa, showed that substitution at the para position of propofol, a commonly used sedative, yielded a compound having reduced anesthetic or sedative effects while maintaining ..
- Global cortical dynamics in sleep and general anesthesiaEran A Mukamel; Fiscal Year: 2013..These results indicate propofol general anesthesia is not a unitary state, but comprises multiple global mode...
- Does Anesthetic Solubility Determine Receptor Specificity?ROBERT JOSEPH BROSNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..of 2 homologous inhaled anesthetic hydrocarbons (alkanes) and 2 homologous injectable anesthetic hydrocarbons (propofol and its halogenated analogue) using pharmacologic methods we have piloted in studies measuring the contribution ..
- The Impact Of Prolonged Anesthetic Exposure On Tau Pathology And FunctionRobert A Whittington; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, exciting and novel preliminary data generated for this proposal demonstrate that certain anesthetics (propofol and dexmedetomidine), which are often clinically administered for prolonged periods of time, can themselves ..
- Propofol in Exhaled Breath: Real-time Detection by Surface Acoustic Wave SensorsDONN MICHAEL DENNIS; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Propofol endures as the most popular intravenous (IV) anesthetic due to several favorable characteristics...
- General Anesthetic Sites on Ligand-Gated Ion ChannelsKeith W Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project 1 will locate sites of etomidate, propofol and barbiturate photolabels on equilibrium states of GABAAR and nAcChoRs...
- THE EFFECT OF SEDATION ON PAIN PERCEPTIONMichael A Froelich; Fiscal Year: 2010..in a quantitative fashion, using established psychometric methods, the dose-dependent effect of two GABA-acting (propofol and midazolam) and one alpha-2-receptor agonist (dexmedetomidine) sedative drugs on the sensory-discriminative ..
- Cellular Mechanisms of General Anesthetic Mediated NeurotoxicityDeborah J Culley; Fiscal Year: 2010..To test this hypothesis, we will use a few selected general anesthetic agents (ketamine, propofol, isoflurane) and a cell culture model that permits the maturity and differentiation state of the cells to be ..
- THERAPEUTIC TARGETING OF THE GABAA CHANNEL ON AIRWAY SMOOTH MUSCLEGeorge Gallos; Fiscal Year: 2013..a GABAA channel agonist administered in vivo attenuates agonist-induced airway constriction and that (6) part of propofol's broncho-relaxant effect is mediated by GABAA channels on airway smooth muscle...
- Mechanisms of anesthetic effects on tachykinin induced airway toneCharles W Emala; Fiscal Year: 2013..a GABAA receptor agonist administered in vivo attenuates agonist-induced airway constriction and that (6) part of propofol's broncho-relaxant effect is mediated by GABAA receptors on airway smooth muscle...
- Neuroimaging of Anesthetic Modulation of Human ConsciousnessShi Jiang Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..and BOLD fMRI assessment of semantic discrimination to test the hypotheses that deepening anesthesia with propofol will suppress conscious awareness by diminishing integrative functional networks of the brain in a graded, top-..
- Light-enabled identification of the neural substrates for alkylphenol anesthesiaBRIAN PATRICK WEISER; Fiscal Year: 2013..applicant): This project serves to contribute to our understanding of the pharmacology of the general anesthetic propofol through the use of a photoactive analogue, meta-azi-propofol...
- Deciphering how anesthetics increase host susceptibility to microbial infectionNANCY ELIZABETH FREITAG; Fiscal Year: 2013..within this proposal will use Lm to elucidate the mechanisms by which commonly used surgical anesthetics, such as propofol, dramatically increase host susceptibility to microbial infection...
- Anesthesia Toxicity in Neonatal Primate BrainJohn W Olney; Fiscal Year: 2013..induced by clinically relevant exposure to each of three anesthetic drugs (isoflurane, ketamine, propofol)...
- A Strategy for Reduction of Postoperative Delirium in Elderly PatientsFrederick E Sieber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients undergoing spinal anesthesia with propofol sedation will be randomized to one of two levels of intraoperative sedation: light sedation or heavy sedation...
- General anesthetics and cerebral cortical sensory integrationANTHONY GEORGE HUDETZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..of three representative anesthetic agents with substantially different pharmacological profiles: desflurane, propofol, and dexmedetomidine to find a common, agent-invariant neuronal correlate of unconsciousness...
- GENERAL ANESTHETICS AND CLONED VOLTAGE-GATED CHANNELSANA CORREA; Fiscal Year: 2000..In this proposal the effects of volatile anesthetics an of a very promising intravenous anesthetic, Propofol, will be studied in detail by taking advantage of the tools provided by molecular biology, by a high expression ..
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF ANESTHETIC-MUSCARINIC INTERACTIONSMarcel Durieux; Fiscal Year: 1999..receptors will be expressed in Xenopus oocytes, and the effects of halothane, isoflurane, desflurane, ketamine, propofol and althesin on their functioning will be studied...
- QTLS UNDERLYING MOLECULAR ACTION OF GENERAL ANESTHETICSThomas Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2000..The focus will be on sequencing (using automated techniques) a 250 kb region found to carry a gene affecting propofol sensitivity phenotype in certain transgenic lines...
- Conformational changes neurosteroids at GABA-A receptorsDaniel Williams; Fiscal Year: 2006..SCAM at the TM3 region of the GABAA receptor alpha1 subunit, GABA, diazepam and two different concentrations of propofol were found to change the pattern of water accessible residues in TM3...
- CNS TARGETS OF PROPOFOL'S HYPNOTIC AND MEMORY EFFECTSROBERT VESELIS; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have shown that one such drug, propofol, has memory effects independent of sedation during behavioral testing...
- SITES OF ACTION OF INHALATIONAL ANESTHETICS ON HPVJames Baumgardner; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed studies will investigate the quantitative effects of inhalational and injectable (Propofol) general anesthetics on each step of this triphasic response...
- SITES OF IV ANESTHETIC ACTION AT GABA-A RECEPTORSNeil Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2001..the molecular basis of the modulation of the GABAA receptor by three clinical intravenous anesthetic agents--propofol, etomidate, and methohexital...
- Propofol Microemulsions Pre-clinical InvestigationJEROME MODELL; Fiscal Year: 2004Domestic propofol sales exceed $500 million annually and continue to increase due to a shift towards ambulatory surgery. This intravenous anesthetic exists as an oil and necessitates dispersion in a soybean macroemulsion (i.e...
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR TARGETS OF GENERAL ANESTHETICSNeil Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2005..of action of general anesthetics at both pre- and postsynaptic sites, with particular emphasis on isoflurane and propofol. The program consists of four projects linked together by a Scientific and Administrative Core...
- CENTRAL BAROREFLEX MECHANISMS OF ANESTHETIC ACTIONMICHAEL ANDRESEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The new proposed studies focus on the mechanisms by which isoflurane and propofol act within the BRX...
- CEREBRAL EFFECTS OF ANESTHESIA-RELATED INTERVENTIONSJOHN MICHENFELDER; Fiscal Year: 1993..A new intravenous anesthetic, propofol, possesses promising cerebral protective characteristics similar to thiopental but is extremely short-acting thus ..
- NOVEL ANESTHETIC DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMDIANE GARGANO; Fiscal Year: 2000..The phase I trial will examine propofol and remifentanil, two drugs necessarily given by intravenous infusion that are representative of the two classes ..
- The Effect of Sedation on Restorative SleepAvery Tung; Fiscal Year: 2005Sleep deprivation is common in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and can worsen outcomes. Recent introduction of propofol as an ICU sedative has allowed the widespread use of continuous sedation without delayed emergence...
- NITROXIDERGIC CEREBROVASCULAR TONE DURING ANESTHESIAShailendra Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN AND SPINAL CORD CONTRIBUTIONS TO ANESTHETIC ACTIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the past grant cycle we determined that isoflurane and propofol action in the spinal cord depressed the ascending transmission of nociceptive impulses to the brain...
- The Role of the Amygdala in Anesthetic-Induced AmnesiaMICHAEL ALKIRE; Fiscal Year: 2006..learning in rats, that the basolateral amygdala (BL) is critically nvolved with mediating the amnesic effects of propofol general anesthesia. Propofol does not produce amnesia if the BL is lesioned...
- ANESTHETIC EFFECTS ON SENSORIMOTOR INTEGRATIONJOSEPH ANTOGNINI; Fiscal Year: 2009..proposal will use neurophysiological methods to assess the effects of isoflurane (ISO), halothane (HAL) and propofol (PROP) at several spinal sites (dorsal horn;intermediate and ventral horn) and on anatomically or functionally ..
- GABA-A RECEPTOR STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONRichard Olsen; Fiscal Year: 2003..Studies on these and related proteins will allow us to take a close look a dynamic and important cellular biology of these important brain neurotransmitter receptors. ..
- Volatile Anesthetic Action in Vertebrate Locomotor SystemsSteven L Jinks; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from these projects will increase our understanding of how and where anesthetics act in the nervous system, contributing to the development of safer anesthetics and clinical practices. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- MODERATE ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION AND HDLWILLEM DEVILLIERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will be done by measuring the bioactivity of paraoxonase and determining the ability of HDL from human subjects exposed to alcohol to protect against macrophage-mediated LDL. ..
- RESPIRATORY RELATED MOTOR OUTPUT TO UPPER AIRWAY MUSLCESSAMUEL KUNA; Fiscal Year: 2003..This work is an expansion of work conducted to date by the PI, who has recently relocated to the University of Pennsylvania. ..
- PHARYNGEAL AIRWAY FUNCTIONSAMUEL KUNA; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- FMR Imaging of Eye Stabilization ProcessesCLAUDIO BUSETTINI; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Outcomes of Prolonged Mechanical VentilationShannon Carson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, these data will inform future cohort studies and randomized controlled trials designed to improve outcomes for this growing patient population. ..
- NON-INVASIVE OPTICAL IMAGING OF THE HUMAN BRAINMARIA FRANCESCHINI; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of adverse host responses to antibioticsMichael Court; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interaction of amyloid beta and inhaled anestheticsRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will provide the feasibility to extend this hypothesis to animal models and ultimately to clinical studies of the interaction between anesthetics and neurodegeneration. ..
- OVARIAN STEROID REGULATION OF SEROTONIN IN PRIMATESCYNTHIA LOUISE BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2010..Altogether, we will show that ovarian steroids support serotonin neuron survival and we will provide pivotal underlying genomic mechanisms. ..
- INHALATIONAL ANESTHETIC BINDING STUDIESRoderic Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Rhesus Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Serotonin NeuronsCYNTHIA BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge obtained from this work will lead to novel treatments for psychoneuropathologies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Functional Analysis of GABAerglc Sedative/AnxiolyticsNANCY ATOR; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Glutamine's role in cardioprotection from cardiac bypassPaul Wischmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Data will be collected on cardiac function (cardiac output), occurrence of arrhythmias, need for vasopressor therapy, length of post-operative ventilation, ICU stay; and survival trends. ..
- Research Priorities in Ambulatory Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea WorkshopSAMUEL KUNA; Fiscal Year: 2007..We submit that this workshop is an essential ?next step? to ensuring that there is[unreadable] substantive advancement of scientific knowledge in this important field. ..
- Genes Underlying the Response to Inhaled AnestheticsJames Sonner; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Neurophysiologic Development Responses to SurgeryDOUGLAS RIRIE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through this and future studies which come from this data and training, improvement in understanding will hopefully lead to improved pain therapy that is developmentally appropriate. ..
- GABAa receptor regulation and trafficking in C. elegansBruce Bamber; Fiscal Year: 2003..Because cellular processes are generally well-conserved between C. elegans and humans, insights from these studies could lead to improved treatments for anxiety disorders based on modulating GABAA receptor abundance at synapses. ..