Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diagnostic aid in pancreas function determination.
Publications273 found, 100 shown here
- Differential responses to selenomethionine supplementation by sex and genotype in healthy adultsGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA ARS, 2420 2nd Avenue North, Stop 9034, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
Br J Nutr 107:1514-25. 2012..to characterise the responses of multiple biomarkers of Se status in healthy American adults to supplemental selenomethionine (SeMet) and to identify factors affecting those responses...
- Superior in vivo inhibitory efficacy of methylseleninic acid against human prostate cancer over selenomethionine or seleniteGuang Xun Li
Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, 801 16th Avenue Northeast, Austin, MN 55912, USA
Carcinogenesis 29:1005-12. 2008..methylselenol precursors methylseleninic acid (MSeA) and Se-methylselenocysteine (MSeC) in comparison with selenomethionine (SeMet) and selenite in DU145 and PC-3 human PCa xenografts in athymic nude mice...
- Effects of a six month treatment with selenomethionine in patients with autoimmune thyroiditisLeonidas H Duntas
Endocrine Unit, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Str, 11528 Athens, Greece
Eur J Endocrinol 148:389-93. 2003..Therefore, we performed a randomised, placebo-controlled prospective study to investigate the effects of Se treatment on patients with autoimmune thyroiditis (AIT)...
- Effects of 12 months treatment with L-selenomethionine on serum anti-TPO Levels in Patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditisElias E Mazokopakis
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Thyroid 17:609-12. 2007..We studied the effects of selenium (Se) treatment on serum anti-thyroid peroxidase (TPO) levels in Greek patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT)...
- Dietary supplementation with methylseleninic acid, but not selenomethionine, reduces spontaneous metastasis of Lewis lung carcinoma in miceLin Yan
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Int J Cancer 131:1260-6. 2012..investigated the effects of dietary supplementation with methylseleninic acid (MSeA), in comparison with selenomethionine (SeMet), on spontaneous metastasis of Lewis lung carcinoma (LLC) in male C57BL/6 mice using intramuscular and ..
- Dietary selenomethionine increases exon-specific DNA methylation of the p53 gene in rat liver and colon mucosaHuawei Zeng
USDA, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
J Nutr 141:1464-8. 2011..15 [Se adequate (A)], or 4 mg [Se supranutritional (S)] (Se as l-selenomethionine)/kg diet for 104 d, respectively...
- Selenomethionine regulation of p53 by a ref1-dependent redox mechanismYoung R Seo
Department of Microbiology, Walther Oncology Center, and Walther Cancer Institute, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:14548-53. 2002..We show that selenium in the form of selenomethionine (SeMet) can activate the p53 tumor suppressor protein by a redox mechanism that requires the redox factor ..
- Protocols for production of selenomethionine-labeled proteins in 2-L polyethylene terephthalate bottles using auto-induction mediumHassan K Sreenath
Department of Biochemistry, Center for Eukaryotic Structural Genomics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706 1549, USA
Protein Expr Purif 40:256-67. 2005Protocols have been developed and applied in the high-throughput production of selenomethionine labeled fusion proteins using the conditional Met auxotroph Escherichia coli B834...
- Dietary supplementation of selenomethionine reduces metastasis of melanoma cells in miceL Yan
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Anticancer Res 19:1337-42. 1999The present study investigated the effect of dietary supplementation of selenomethionine on pulmonary metastasis of B16BL6 murine melanoma cells in C57BL/6 mice. Mice were assigned to four groups of 15 each...
- Selenite and selenomethionine promote HL-60 cell cycle progressionHuawei Zeng
U S Department of Agriculture, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, Grand Forks, ND 58202 9034, USA
J Nutr 132:674-9. 2002..In this study, the effects of selenium deficiency or adequacy (0.25 micromol/L selenite or selenomethionine) on HL-60 cell cycle progression were examined in serum-free media...
- Methioninase cancer gene therapy with selenomethionine as suicide prodrug substrateK Miki
AntiCancer Incorporated, San Diego, California 92111, USA
Cancer Res 61:6805-10. 2001..This gene therapy strategy exploits the toxic pro-oxidant property of methylselenol, which is released from selenomethionine (SeMET) by cancer cells with the adenoviral-delivered methionine alpha,gamma-lyase (MET) gene cloned from ..
- Methylselenol generated from selenomethionine by methioninase downregulates integrin expression and induces caspase-mediated apoptosis of B16F10 melanoma cellsAeyung Kim
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon, South Korea
J Cell Physiol 212:386-400. 2007..In this study, we examine the effects of methylselenol generated from selenomethionine (SeMet) by methioninase (METase) on cell proliferation, adhesion, and expression of integrins in murine ..
- Elemental selenium at nano size possesses lower toxicity without compromising the fundamental effect on selenoenzymes: comparison with selenomethionine in miceHuali Wang
University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei 230052, People s Republic of China
Free Radic Biol Med 42:1524-33. 2007..b>Selenomethionine is considered to be the most appropriate supplemental form due to its excellent bioavailability and lower ..
- Optimization of selenoprotein P and other plasma selenium biomarkers for the assessment of the selenium nutritional requirement: a placebo-controlled, double-blind study of selenomethionine supplementation in selenium-deficient Chinese subjectsYiming Xia
Sichuan Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Chengdu, China
Am J Clin Nutr 92:525-31. 2010..The intake of selenium needed for optimal health has not been established. Selenoproteins perform the functions of selenium, and the selenium intake needed for their full expression is not known...
- Speciation and bioavailability of selenium in yeast-based intervention agents used in cancer chemoprevention studiesErik H Larsen
Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, Department of Food Chemistry, 19 Mørkhøj Bygade, DK 2860 Søborg, Denmark
J AOAC Int 87:225-32. 2004..The results for the NPC tablets showed that selenomethionine, together with 3 unidentified selenium compounds, were predominant in the sample hydrolysates...
- Protection against radiation-induced oxidative stress in cultured human epithelial cells by treatment with antioxidant agentsX Steven Wan
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:1475-81. 2006..To evaluate the protective effects of antioxidant agents against space radiation-induced oxidative stress in cultured human epithelial cells...
- Analysis of methionine/selenomethionine oxidation and methionine sulfoxide reductase function using methionine-rich proteins and antibodies against their oxidized formsDung Tien Le
Department of Biochemistry and Redox Biology Center, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588, USA
Biochemistry 47:6685-94. 2008..Furthermore, we prepared a selenomethionine form of an MRP and found that selenomethionine selenoxide residues can be efficiently reduced ..
- Selenomethionine protects against adverse biological effects induced by space radiationAnn R Kennedy
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 195 John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 36:259-66. 2004..was to characterize HZE particle radiation-induced adverse biological effects and evaluate the effect of D-selenomethionine (SeM) on the HZE particle radiation-induced adverse biological effects...
- Comparative effects of 2 antioxidants, selenomethionine and epigallocatechin-gallate, on catabolic and anabolic gene expression of articular chondrocytesRina Andriamanalijaona
Laboratory of Connective Tissue Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
J Rheumatol 32:1958-67. 2005To determine the effects of selenomethionine (Se-met) and epigallocatechin-gallate (EGCg) on gene expression, activation of mitogen-activating kinases, and DNA binding of nuclear factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB) and apolipoprotein-1 (AP-1) in ..
- A novel chemopreventive mechanism of selenomethionine: enhancement of APE1 enzyme activity via a Gadd45a, PCNA and APE1 protein complex that regulates p53-mediated base excision repairHwa Jin Jung
Department of Genetics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Oncol Rep 30:1581-6. 2013..Our previous study showed that selenomethionine (SeMet) induces p53 activation without genotoxic effects including apoptosis and cell cycle arrest...
- Anticlastogenic and antigenotoxic effects of selenomethionine on doxorubicin-induced damage in vitro in human lymphocytesRaquel Alves Dos Santos
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Av Bandeirantes, 3900, 14040 900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
Food Chem Toxicol 46:671-7. 2008..The present study investigated the possible protective effects of selenomethionine (SM) on the cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and clastogenicity of the chemotherapic doxorubicin (DXR), a key ..
- The nutritional significance, metabolism and toxicology of selenomethionineGerhard Norbert Schrauzer
Biological Trace Element Research Institute, 2400 Boswell Rd, Suite 200, Chula Vista, CA 91914, USA
Adv Food Nutr Res 47:73-112. 2003..The expectation is that lower additions to feedstock of equivalent levels of SeMet will suffice to achieve adequacy than currently approved maximum levels of Se in the form of inorganic Se salts...
- Selenomethionine and selenocysteine double labeling strategy for crystallographic phasingMarie Paule Strub
Centre de Biochimie Structurale, UMR CNRS 5048, UMR 554 INSERM, Universite Montpellier I, 34090 Cedex, Montpellier, France
Structure 11:1359-67. 2003A protocol for the quantitative incorporation of both selenomethionine and selenocysteine into recombinant proteins overexpressed in Escherichia coli is described...
- Highly UV-absorbing complex in selenomethionine-substituted alcohol dehydrogenase from Sulfolobus solfataricusAntonietta Giordano
Institute of Protein Biochemistry, C N R, Via G Marconi 10, I 80125 Naples, Italy
J Proteome Res 3:613-20. 2004..This effect was explained by the formation of Se complex with some groups of protein. It was revealed that this complex does not participate in fluorescence and does not transfer excitation energy to tryptophan or tyrosine residues...
- Selenium accumulation in prostate tissue during a randomized, controlled short-term trial of l-selenomethionine: a Southwest Oncology Group StudyAnita L Sabichi
University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:2178-84. 2006..Epidemiologic and clinical data suggest that selenium could prevent prostate cancer, but it has not been shown that supplemental selenium leads to an increased concentration of selenium in prostate tissue compared with adjacent tissue...
- Selenomethionine induces p53 mediated cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human colon cancer cellsAjay Goel
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor University Medical Center and Baylor Research Institute, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 5:529-35. 2006..However, the molecular mechanisms of action of selenomethionine, an organoselenium compound present in selenized yeast and currently being investigated in human clinical ..
- Protective effects of L-selenomethionine on space radiation induced changes in gene expressionJ Stewart
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 195 John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6072, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 46:161-5. 2007..studies are to characterize HZE particle radiation induced biological effects and evaluate the effects of L-selenomethionine (SeM) on these adverse biological effects...
- A comparison of the teratogenicity of methylmercury and selenomethionine injected into bird eggsGary H Heinz
Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, United States Geological Survey, BARC East, Building 308, 10300 Baltimore Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 62:519-28. 2012..For all three species, selenomethionine alone caused more deformities than did methylmercury alone...
- Optimized procedure to generate heavy isotope and selenomethionine-labeled proteins for structure determination using Escherichia coli-based expression systemsZhaopeng Li
Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research SB, Braunschweig, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 92:823-33. 2011..A simple protocol for producing heavy isotope as well as selenomethionine (Se-Met)-labeled proteins was developed using T7-based Escherichia coli expression systems...
- Selenomethionine inhibits IL-1β inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase 2 (COX2) expression in primary human chondrocytesA W M Cheng
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 19:118-25. 2011....
- Selenium from selenium-rich Spirulina is less bioavailable than selenium from sodium selenite and selenomethionine in selenium-deficient ratsJ Cases
, , , 34095 Montpellier, France
J Nutr 131:2343-50. 2001..Se-deficient rats were then repleted with Se (75 microg/kg) by the addition of sodium selenite, selenomethionine (SeMet) or SeSp to the TY basal diet...
- Simultaneous analysis of mercury and selenium species including chiral forms of selenomethionine in human urine and serum by HPLC column-switching coupled to ICP-MSF Moreno
Departamento de Quimica y Ciencia de los Materiales, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Huelva, Campus de El Carmen, 21007 Huelva, Spain
Analyst 135:2700-5. 2010..and analyzing different selenium and mercury species (Se-methylselenocysteine, selenite, selenate, L-selenomethionine, D-selenomethionine, methylmercury and inorganic mercury)...
- Induction of oxidative stress by selenomethionine in isolated hepatocytes of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)Sougat Misra
Department of Biology, University of Saskatchewan, 112 Science Place, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5E2
Toxicol In Vitro 26:621-9. 2012Fish are exposed to environmental selenium predominantly in the form of dietary selenomethionine (SeMet)...
- 1,4-phenylenebis(methylene)selenocyanate, but not selenomethionine, inhibits androgen receptor and Akt signaling in human prostate cancer cellsNicole D Facompre
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute, Hershey, 17033, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:975-84. 2010..Our initial investigations show that the naturally occurring organoselenium compound selenomethionine (SM) and the synthetic 1,4-phenylenebis(methylene)selenocyanate (p-XSC) can inhibit human prostate cancer ..
- Dietary selenomethionine exposure in adult zebrafish alters swimming performance, energetics and the physiological stress responseJ K Thomas
Toxicology Centre, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Aquat Toxicol 102:79-86. 2011b>Selenomethionine (Se-Met) is the major form of organoselenium present in food...
- The effect of levothyroxine and selenomethionine on lymphocyte and monocyte cytokine release in women with Hashimoto's thyroiditisRobert Krysiak
Department of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Silesia, Medykow 18, PL 40 752 Katowice, Poland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:2206-15. 2011No previous study determined monocyte- and lymphocyte-suppressing effects of levothyroxine and selenomethionine and assessed whether their coadministration is superior to treatment with only one of these drugs.
- Se-adenosyl-L-selenomethionine cofactor analogue as a reporter of protein methylationIan R Bothwell
Molecular Pharmacology and Chemistry Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:14905-12. 2012..Here we report a SAM surrogate, ProSeAM (propargylic Se-adenosyl-l-selenomethionine), as a reporter of methyltransferases...
- A novel method for detection of selenomethionine incorporation in protein crystals via Raman microscopyAlessandro Vergara
Dipartimento di Chimica, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, Complesso Monte S Angelo, Via Cinthia, I 80126 Napoli, Italy
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 64:167-71. 2008..Mass spectrometry is currently used to evaluate the selenomethionine (SeMet) content in solution, but excluding fluorescence spectroscopy at the absorption edge, no other routine ..
- Sites and extent of selenomethionine incorporation into recombinant Cas6 protein by top-down and bottom-up proteomics with 14.5 T Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometryXu Wang
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Florida State University, 95 Chieftain Way, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 24:2386-92. 2010b>Selenomethionine-modified proteins can improve X-ray crystallographic structural resolution by multi-wavelength anomalous diffraction (MAD) phasing...
- Contribution of enzymic alpha, gamma-elimination reaction in detoxification pathway of selenomethionine in mouse liverT Okuno
Division of Environmental Health, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Setsunan University, 45 1 Nagaotoge cho, Hirakata, Osaka 573 0101, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 176:18-23. 2001The objective of this study was to clarify the detoxification pathways of selenomethionine (SeMet) in mouse liver. It has been postulated that SeMet may be metabolized to selenocysteine (SeCyH) via a pathway similar to methionine (Met)...
- Rapamycin suppresses ROS-dependent apoptosis caused by selenomethionine in A549 lung carcinoma cellsMaiko Suzuki
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, 4 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 67:1129-36. 2011..In this study, we investigated the effects of rapamycin on apoptosis induced by seleno-L-methionine (SeMet) or selenite in A549 cells...
- A human model of selenium that integrates metabolism from selenite and selenomethionineMeryl E Wastney
Metabolic Modeling Services Ltd, 7201 Blenheim, New Zealand
J Nutr 141:708-17. 2011..of this study was to simultaneously compare kinetics of absorbed Se from inorganic selenite (Sel) and organic selenomethionine (SeMet) in healthy participants (n = 31)...
- Non-optimal levels of dietary selenomethionine alter splenocyte response and modify oxidative stress markers in female miceLibia Vega
Sección Externa de Toxicología, Centro de Investigacion y de Estudios Avanzados, Av IPN 2508, San Pedro Zacatenco, Mexico, DF 07360, Mexico
Food Chem Toxicol 45:1147-53. 2007Many studies evaluating the effects of selenium (Se) status on immunity utilize inorganic Se, although selenomethionine (Se-Met) has been suggested to be more bioavailable and less toxic...
- Selenomethionine reduces visual deficits due to developmental methylmercury exposuresDaniel N Weber
Marine and Freshwater Biomedical Sciences Center, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 600 E Greenfield Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53204, United States
Physiol Behav 93:250-60. 2008..0-0.30 microM MeHg and/or selenomethionine (SeMet) until 24 hpf then placed in clean medium...
- Uptake, distribution, and speciation of selenoamino acids by human cancer cells: X-ray absorption and fluorescence methodsClaire M Weekley
School of Chemistry and Physics, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Biochemistry 50:1641-50. 2011..The uptake, speciation, and distribution of the common selenoamino acid supplements, selenomethionine (SeMet) and Se-methylselenocysteine (MeSeCys), in A549 human lung cancer cells were investigated using X-ray ..
- Metabolism of 76Se-methylselenocysteine compared with that of 77Se-selenomethionine and 82Se-seleniteKazuo T Suzuki
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Chiba 260 8675, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 217:185-95. 2006Se-Methylated selenoamino acids, Se-methylselenocysteine (MeSeCys) and selenomethionine (SeMet), are chemically inert storage forms of selenium in selenium-accumulators, and a nutritional and supplemental source...
- Selective labeling of selenomethionine residues in proteins with a fluorescent derivative of benzyl bromideShenhui Lang
Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3G1
Anal Biochem 359:253-8. 2006..of the bromobenzyl moiety as a reactive group for the targeted fluorescent labeling of methionine and selenomethionine residues in proteins...
- Interactions of Cu(I) with selenium-containing amino acids determined by NMR, XAS, and DFT studiesHsiao C Wang
Department of Chemistry, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina 29634 0973, USA
Inorg Chem 50:10893-900. 2011..selenium antioxidant activity, Cu(I) coordination of the selenoamino acids methyl-Se-cysteine (MeSeCys) and selenomethionine (SeMet) was investigated...
- Selenomethionine induction of DNA repair response in human fibroblastsYoung R Seo
Indiana University Cancer Center, Department of Microbiology, Walther Oncology Center, Indiana University School of Medicine and Walther Cancer Institute, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Oncogene 21:3663-9. 2002..We show that selenium in the form of selenomethionine induces a DNA repair response in normal human fibroblasts in vitro, and protects cells from DNA damage...
- Dimethyldiselenide and methylseleninic acid generate superoxide in an in vitro chemiluminescence assay in the presence of glutathione: implications for the anticarcinogenic activity of L-selenomethionine and L-Se-methylselenocysteineJ E Spallholz
Department of Ophthalmology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Selenium Technologies, Inc, Lubbock, TX, USA
Nutr Cancer 40:34-41. 2001The reduction of cancer incidence by dietary supplementation with L-selenomethionine, L-Se-methylselenocysteine, and other methylated selenium compounds and metabolites is believed to be due to the metabolic generation of the ..
- Prostatic response to supranutritional selenium supplementation: comparison of the target tissue potency of selenomethionine vs. selenium-yeast on markers of prostatic homeostasisDavid J Waters
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Nutrients 4:1650-63. 2012..the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT) showed no such cancer-protective advantage using selenomethionine (SeMet)...
- Metabolism of selenomethionine by rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) embryos can generate oxidative stressVince P Palace
Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Habitat Impacts Research, Freshwater Institute, 501 University Crescent, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N6
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 58:17-21. 2004..L-Selenomethionine, the predominant form of selenium in the eggs of oviparous vertebrates, does not generate oxidative radicals ..
- Selenomethionine treatment in patients with autoimmune thyroiditis: a prospective, quasi-randomised trialA D Anastasilakis
Department of Endocrinology, 424 Military Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Int J Clin Pract 66:378-83. 2012..To test whether selenium administration affects autoantibodies to thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) and thyroglobulin (anti-TG) titres in chronic autoimmune (Hashimoto's - HT) thyroiditis...
- Development of stable isotope and selenomethionine labeling methods for proteins expressed in Pseudomonas fluorescensKrishna Madduri
Dow AgroSciences LLC, 9330 Zionsville Road, Indianapolis, IN 46268, USA
Protein Expr Purif 65:57-65. 2009..in structure elucidation studies, the availability of target proteins labeled with stable isotopes or selenomethionine is essential for the determination of protein structures...
- The anticancer effects of sodium selenite and selenomethionine on human colorectal carcinoma cell lines in nude miceYang Yang
National Laboratory of Medical Molecular Biology, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Institute of Basic Medical Science, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100005, People s Republic of China
Oncol Res 18:1-8. 2009..to evaluate the chemotherapeutic potential of selenium containing compounds such as sodium selenite (SSe) and selenomethionine (SeMet). Three doses of anticancer drugs were used, including 0...
- Selenomethionine incorporation into amyloid sequences regulates fibrillogenesis and toxicityJavier Martinez
Instituto de Quimica Fisica Rocasolano, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e27999. 2011..Some of the sequences undergoing fibrillation contain critical methionine (Met) residues which in vivo can be synthetically substituted by selenomethionine (SeM) and alter their properties.
- Determination of methionine and selenomethionine in selenium-enriched yeast by species-specific isotope dilution with liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry detectionShona McSheehy
Institute for National Measurement Standards, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0R9
Anal Chem 77:344-9. 2005b>Selenomethionine (SeMet) and methionine (Met), liberated by acid hydrolysis of selenium-enriched yeast, were quantified by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC/MS) using standard additions calibrations as well as isotope dilution (..
- Selenomethionine incorporation into a protein by cell-free synthesisTakanori Kigawa
RIKEN Genomic Sciences Center, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Tsurumi, Yokohama, 230 0045 Japan
J Struct Funct Genomics 2:29-35. 2002..b>Selenomethionine substituted proteins are commonly used for this purpose...
- Crystal structure of the rat liver fructose-2,6-bisphosphatase based on selenomethionine multiwavelength anomalous dispersion phasesY H Lee
Department of Biochemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Biochemistry 35:6010-9. 1996..5 A resolution. The selenomethionine-substituted protein was induced in the methionine auxotroph, Escherichia coli DL41DE3, purified, and ..
- Enhancement of methyl methanesulfonate-induced base excision repair in the presence of selenomethionine on p53-dependent pathwayHwa Jin Jung
Department of Pharmacology, Biomedical Science Institute, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Med Food 12:340-4. 2009b>Selenomethionine (SeMet) has been identified as a chemopreventive antioxidant to activate p53-mediated nucleotide excision repair. In this study, we examined whether p53-mediated base excision repair (BER) might be induced by SeMet...
- Selenomethionine and alpha-tocopherol do not inhibit prostate carcinogenesis in the testosterone plus estradiol-treated NBL rat modelNur Ozten
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 South Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:371-80. 2010..In this study, we examined the potential of selenomethionine and alpha-tocopherol to modulate prostate cancer development in the testosterone plus estradiol-treated NBL ..
- Selenium and the thyroid: a close-knit connectionLeonidas H Duntas
Endocrine Unit, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Street 115 28 Athens, Greece
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:5180-8. 2010..It has additionally been established that the thyroid contains more selenium than any other tissue and that selenium deficiency aggravates the manifestation of endemic myxedematous cretinism and autoimmune thyroid disease...
- Effects of topical L-selenomethionine with topical and oral vitamin E on pigmentation and skin cancer induced by ultraviolet irradiation in Skh:2 hairless miceKaren E Burke
Department of Biostatistics, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 49:458-72. 2003..The antioxidants selenium and vitamin E can be effective in reducing acute and chronic ultraviolet (UV)-induced skin damage...
- Bioavailability of selenium from raw or cured selenomethionine-enriched fillets of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) assessed in selenium-deficient ratsRobin Ornsrud
Directorate of Fisheries, Institute of Nutrition, Bergen, Norway
Br J Nutr 87:13-20. 2002The bioavailability of Se from raw and cured selenomethionine-enriched (Se-enriched) salmon fillets was assessed in Se-deficient male albino rats (Mol: Wist)...
- Speciation analysis of selenium metabolites in urine and breath by HPLC- and GC-inductively coupled plasma-MS after administration of selenomethionine and methylselenocysteine to ratsYuki Ohta
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Chuo, Chiba 260 8675 Japan
Chem Res Toxicol 22:1795-801. 2009Selenium is an essential trace element found in vegetables as selenomethionine (SeMet) and methylselenocysteine (MeSeCys)...
- Selenium metabolites in urine of cancer patients receiving L-selenomethionine at high dosesDoris Kuehnelt
Institute of Chemistry Analytical Chemistry, Karl Franzens University Graz, Universitaetsplatz 1, 8010 Graz, Austria
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 220:211-5. 2007..HPLC/mass spectrometry, the selenium metabolites in urine from five cancer patients receiving high doses of L-selenomethionine over an extended period (2 x 4000 microg Se/day for 7 days, then 4000 microg Se/day for 21 days) as an ..
- The organic selenium compound selenomethionine modulates bleomycin-induced DNA damage and repair in human leukocytesBlanca Laffon
Toxicology Unit, Department of Psychobiology, University of A Coruna, Edificio de Servicios Centrales de Investigación, Campus Elviña s n, 15071, A Coruna, Spain
Biol Trace Elem Res 133:12-9. 2010The objective of this work was to evaluate the effects of selenomethionine (SeMet) on the induction, repair, and persistence of DNA damage in human leukocytes challenged with bleomycin (BLM)...
- Expression, purification and crystallization of native and selenomethionine labeled Mycobacterium tuberculosis FGD1 (Rv0407) using a Mycobacterium smegmatis expression systemGhader Bashiri
Maurice Wilkins Center for Molecular Biodiscovery, Laboratory of Structural Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, New Zealand
Protein Expr Purif 54:38-44. 2007..Both native and selenomethionine-substituted FGD1 were obtained by culturing M...
- Production of selenomethionine-labeled proteins in two-liter plastic bottles for structure determinationLucy Stols
Environmental Research Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
J Struct Funct Genomics 5:95-102. 2004..that the approach is also well suited for production of proteins in defined media with incorporation of selenomethionine to facilitate structure determination by multiwavelength anomalous diffraction...
- Crystal structure of Bfr A from Mycobacterium tuberculosis: incorporation of selenomethionine results in cleavage and demetallation of haemVibha Gupta
Department of Biochemistry, University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, India
PLoS ONE 4:e8028. 2009..In addition, this study provides evidence against the general belief that a selenium derivative of a protein represents its true physiological native structure...
- Methioninase gene therapy with selenomethionine induces apoptosis in bcl-2-overproducing lung cancer cellsNorio Yamamoto
AntiCancer, Inc, 7917 Ostrow Street, San Diego, CA 92111, USA
Cancer Gene Ther 10:445-50. 2003We have previously shown that the toxic pro-oxidant methylselenol is released from selenomethionine (SeMET) by cancer cells transformed with the adenoviral methionine alpha,gamma-lyase (methioninase, MET) gene cloned from Pseudomonas ..
- Apoptosis induced by selenomethionine and methioninase is superoxide mediated and p53 dependent in human prostate cancer cellsRui Zhao
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, K4 868, Clinical Science Center, Box 8550, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:3275-84. 2006b>Selenomethionine (SeMet) is the chemical form or major component of selenium used for cancer chemoprevention in several clinical trials...
- The in vitro effects of selenomethionine on methylmercury-induced neurotoxicityParvinder Kaur
Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Olav Kyrresgt 3, N 7489 Trondheim, Norway
Toxicol In Vitro 23:378-85. 2009..Therefore, we investigated whether 24h. preincubation or 50min. coincubation with selenomethionine (SeMet) was effective in reducing methylmercury (MeHg)-induced cytotoxicity in C6-glioma and B35-neuronal ..
- Oxidation of selenomethionine: some MADness in the method!A J Sharff
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, England
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 56:785-8. 2000..Here, it is demonstrated that the anomalous signal from selenomethione (SeMet) substituted proteins can be significantly enhanced by oxidation...
- Selenium and selenomethionine levels in prostate cancer patientsDavid W Nyman
Department of Pharmacology Toxicology, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, Tucson, AZ 85721 0207, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 28:8-16. 2004Selenium (Se) and selenomethionine (Se-Met) have been identified as potential chemopreventive agents of prostate cancer...
- Biomarkers of exposure and effect as indicators of the interference of selenomethionine on methylmercury toxicityAna P M dos Santos
Centro de Estudos de Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Lisbon, Av Prof Gama Pinto, 1649 003 Lisbon, Portugal
Toxicol Lett 169:121-8. 2007The present study was conducted to clarify the interference of selenomethionine (SeMet) on methylmercury (MeHg) toxicity through the evaluation of changes in biomarkers of exposure and effect in rats exposed to MeHg and co-exposed to MeHg ..
- Profiling of selenomethionine responsive genes in colon cancer by microarray analysisAnne Christine Goulet
Department of Pathology, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 6:494-503. 2007..Previous studies by our group demonstrated that selenomethionine-induced growth arrest appears to be mediated by activation of ERK and subsequent phosphorylation of RSK and ..
- Reduction of L-methionine selenoxide to seleno-L-methionine by endogenous thiols, ascorbic acid, or methimazoleRenee J Krause
Department of Comparative Biosciences and the Center for Molecular and Environmental Toxicology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, United States
Biochem Pharmacol 77:134-40. 2009..Furthermore, the novel reduction of MetSeO by methimazole provides clear evidence that methimazole should not be used as an alternative FMO substrate when studying FMO-mediated oxidation of SeMet...
- Selenite or selenomethionine interaction with methylmercury on uptake and toxicity showing a weak selenite protection: studies on cultured K-562 cellsP Frisk
Department of Oncology, Radiology and Clinical Immunology, Biomedical Radiation Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden
Biol Trace Elem Res 80:251-68. 2001..Human K-562 cells were pretreated or simultaneously treated with either selenite (5 or 50 microM) or selenomethionine (10 or 50 microM) together with (3.5 or 5 microM) MMC...
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of fixed-dose selenomethionine and irinotecan in solid tumorsMarwan G Fakih
Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:1237-44. 2006We conducted a phase I study to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of irinotecan with fixed, nontoxic high dose of selenomethionine.
- Selenomethionine stimulates expression of glutathione peroxidase 1 and 3 and growth of bovine mammary epithelial cells in primary cultureS G Miranda
Department of Animal Science, University of Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela 4005
J Dairy Sci 92:2670-83. 2009..The effect of selenium as selenomethionine (SeMet) on the growth and viability of BMEC and GPx protein expression and activity were also studied...
- Selenium compounds regulate p53 by common and distinctive mechanismsMartin L Smith
Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Walther Oncology Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Anticancer Res 24:1401-8. 2004..The main dietary form is selenomethionine, which we showed modulated p53 activity by causing redox regulation of key p53 cysteine residues...
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, esophageal squamous cell cancer chemoprevention trial of selenomethionine and celecoxibPaul J Limburg
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 129:863-73. 2005..Squamous dysplasia, the accepted histological precursor for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, represents a potentially modifiable intermediate end point for chemoprevention trials in high-risk populations...
- Selenomethionine regulates cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression through nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kappaB) in colon cancer cellsDurga P Cherukuri
Department of Pathology, Arizona Cancer Center, The University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 4:175-80. 2005Previously, we showed that selenomethionine (Se-Met) inhibits growth of colon cancer cells via suppressing COX-2 expression at both mRNA and protein level...
- Changes in serum proteomic patterns by presurgical alpha-tocopherol and L-selenomethionine supplementation in prostate cancerJeri Kim
Department of Genitourinary Medical Oncology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Lazare Research Building, Room 504, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605 2324, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1697-702. 2005Evidence of the chemopreventive effects of the dietary antioxidants alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E) and l-selenomethionine (selenium) comes from secondary analysis of two phase III clinical trials that found treatment with these antioxidants ..
- Production of selenomethionine-labelled proteins using simplified culture conditions and generally applicable host/vector systemsS A Guerrero
, Braunschweig, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:718-23. 2001The amino acid analogue selenomethionine (SeMet) is shown to be efficiently incorporated into recombinant proteins expressed in Escherichia coli grown in a simple minimal medium without the addition of synthetic amino acids...
- Incorporation of selenomethionine into induced intracytoplasmic membrane proteins of Rhodobacter speciesPhilip D Laible
Biosciences Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 9700 S Cass Avenue, Argonne, IL 60439, USA
J Struct Funct Genomics 6:95-102. 2005..Development of methods for the in vivo substitution of methionine by selenomethionine (SeMet) has revolutionized the process for determination of structures of soluble proteins in recent years...
- Methioninase and selenomethionine but not Se-methylselenocysteine generate methylselenol and superoxide in an in vitro chemiluminescent assay: implications for the nutritional carcinostatic activity of selenoamino acidsJulian E Spallholz
Food and Nutrition, College of Human Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX 79409, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 67:547-54. 2004..methylselenol-generating chemiluminesence by superoxide (O2*-) is shown to be catalytically produced from L-selenomethionine and D,L-selenoethionine, but not from methionine or L-Se-methylselenocysteine (SeMC)...
- Selenomethionine incorporation in proteins expressed in Lactococcus lactisRonnie P A Berntsson
Department of Biochemistry, Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute and Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials, University of Groningen, Nijenborgh 4, 9747 AG Groningen, The Netherlands
Protein Sci 18:1121-7. 2009..Here, we describe a protocol for incorporation of selenomethionine (SeMet) into proteins expressed in L. lactis...
- Effects of selenomethionine supplementation on selenium status and thyroid hormone concentrations in healthy adultsGerald F Combs
Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks, ND 55202, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1808-14. 2009..The effects of long-term selenium supplementation on thyroid hormone concentrations are unknown...
- The effect of selenium, as selenomethionine, on genome stability and cytotoxicity in human lymphocytes measured using the cytokinesis-block micronucleus cytome assayJing Wu
Nutrigenomics Laboratory, CSIRO Human Nutrition, SA, Australia
Mutagenesis 24:225-32. 2009..Therefore, a cautious approach to supplementation with Se-met is required to ensure that optimal genome health is achieved without cytotoxic effects...
- Reduction of gene repair by selenomethionine with the use of single-stranded oligonucleotidesTimothy R Schwartz
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Delaware, Delaware Biotechnology Institute, 15 Innovation Way Newark, DE 19711, USA
BMC Mol Biol 8:7. 2007..This process is regulated by the activity of various factors and proteins that either elevate or depress the frequency at which gene repair takes place...
- Selenomethionine induces sustained ERK phosphorylation leading to cell-cycle arrest in human colon cancer cellsAnne Christine Goulet
Department of Pathology, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Carcinogenesis 26:109-17. 2005b>Selenomethionine (SeMet) is being tested alone and in combination with other agents in cancer chemoprevention trials...
- XANES measurements of the rate of radiation damage to selenomethionine side chainsJames M Holton
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94158 2330, USA
J Synchrotron Radiat 14:51-72. 2007The radiation-induced disordering of selenomethionine (SeMet) side chains represents a significant impediment to protein structure solution...
- Selenomethionine inhibits ultraviolet radiation-induced p53 transactivationNicola J Traynor
Photobiology Unit, Ninewells Hospital, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 22:297-303. 2006....
- Selenomethionine inhibits growth and suppresses cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) protein expression in human colon cancer cell linesAntonio Baines
Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Cancer Biol Ther 1:370-4. 2002Currently, selenium (in the form of high selenium containing yeast or selenomethionine) is being evaluated for anticancer effects against both human colon polyp recurrence and human prostate cancer, respectively...
- An essential role of s-adenosyl-L-methionine:L-methionine s-methyltransferase in selenium volatilization by plants. Methylation of selenomethionine to selenium-methyl-L-selenium- methionine, the precursor of volatile seleniumAbderrahmane Tagmount
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, 111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720 3102, USA
Plant Physiol 130:847-56. 2002..Thus, our results provide in vivo evidence that MMT is the key enzyme catalyzing the methylation of Se-Met to SeMM...
- Selenomethionine labeling of recombinant proteinsAnna M Larsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Uppsala, Uppsala, Sweden
Methods Mol Biol 389:165-74. 2007b>Selenomethionine incorporation is a standard method for determining the phases in protein crystallography by single- or multiwavelength anomalous dispersion...
- A Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of selenomethionine in combination with a fixed dose of irinotecan in solid tumorsMarwan G Fakih
Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:499-508. 2008We conducted a phase I study to determine the recommended dose of selenomethionine (SLM) in combination with irinotecan that consistently results in a protective plasma selenium (Se) concentrations > 15 microM after 1 week of SLM ..
- Selenium (Se) from high-selenium broccoli is utilized differently than selenite, selenate and selenomethionine, but is more effective in inhibiting colon carcinogenesisJ W Finley
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center, ND 58202, USA
Biofactors 14:191-6. 2001..amounts of Se from high-Se processed wheat also significantly reduced aberrant crypts (AC), although pure selenomethionine, (the predominant chemical form of Se in wheat), did not significantly reduce AC...
- Comparative toxicosis of sodium selenite and selenomethionine in lambsAsheesh K Tiwary
California Animal Health and Food Safety Laboratory System, University of California, Davis, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:61-70. 2006..The objective of the study reported here was to compare the acute toxicosis caused by organic selenium (selenomethionine) found in plants with that caused by the supplemental, inorganic form of selenium (sodium selenite)...
- Biomarkers to Assess Selenium Chemoprevention for NSCLCSteven A Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2012..This trial is testing the hypothesis that 200 5g of L-selenomethionine given as selenized yeast can decrease the rate of second primary tumors in patients who have undergone ..
- The influence of selenium on biomarkers of prostate cancer riskKARAM E EL-BAYOUMY; Fiscal Year: 2012..a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of selenium supplementation in the form of selenomethionine (SM=200 5g/day) and SY (240 5g/day and 350 5g/day the higher dose will deliver 200 5g/day of SM;(the ..
- Structural studies of PKR regulation by viral non-coding RNAGRAEME LESLIE CONN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Alternatively, selenomethionine incorporation into protein components of the complex will be used to obtain experimental phases to determine ..
- Colorectal Neoplasia in SELECT ParticipantsM PETER LANCE; Fiscal Year: 2011..The SELECT Trial will assess the effect of selenium, as L-selenomethionine, and vitamin E alone and in combination on the clinical incidence of prostate cancer in 35,584 now-randomized ..
- Chemoprevention of arsenic-induced skin cancerHabibul Ahsan; Fiscal Year: 2013..4,444 individuals with arsenic-related skin lesions into 4 treatment arms: vitamin E only (100 IU/day), L-selenomethionine only (200 5g/day), both vitamin E and selenium, and placebo...
- Prevention of PTEN deletion driven prostate cancer by seleniumJunxuan Lu; Fiscal Year: 2012..Trial (SELECT) in October 2008 ahead of schedule because of the failure to demonstrate an efficacy of selenomethionine (SeMet) for PCa prevention in North American men and a slight but non- statistically significant increase in ..
- Investigations of Bacterial Biofilm Proteomes Using Artifical Amino AcidsNICHOLAS DEWAYNE BALL; Fiscal Year: 2013..To address this issue we propose using L-selenomethionine (SeMet) as a surrogate amino acid for protein labeling due to its near complete incorporation into proteins ..
- Supplemental Se and Vitamin E and Pulmonary FunctionPATRICIA CASSANO; Fiscal Year: 2007..men testing whether daily supplementation with vitamin E (400mg alpha-tocopherol), selenium (200 micrograms selenomethionine) or both vitamin E and selenium can prevent prostate cancer...
- Differential Gene Expression Induced by AntioxidantsJeri Kim; Fiscal Year: 2004..The aims of this study are: 1) to identify genes differentially induced by the antioxidants l-selenomethionine (selenium) and alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E), singly and in combination, in normal and cancerous prostate ..
- Mechanisms of Motor Neuron DeathLee Martin; Fiscal Year: 2006..of DNA lesions in single MN and to determine if known and potentially new pharmacotherapies (creatine and selenomethionine) for mouse ALS attenuate the formation of DNA lesions...
- STRUCTURE AND ASSEMBLY OF THE HIV1 CAPSID PROTEINChristopher Hill; Fiscal Year: 2001..363, and grown crystals of both the native and selenomethionine- substituted proteins. Very recently, we have collected complete data sets at 2...
- A new method for delivery of selinium for prevention of melanomaPamela Cassidy; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 2: Evaluate new formulations of Se- methylselenocysteine (SeMSec) and selenomethionine (SeMet) for the delivery of selenium to the skin of mice...
- Genetic Analysis of Selenium ToxicityAnnette Estevez; Fiscal Year: 2005..In Caenorhabditis elegans exposure to selenomethionine (SeMet) causes progressive paralysis, decreased fertility, and growth retardation of adults derived from ..
- X RAY STRUCTURE OF UDP GALACTOPYRANOSE MUTASEMichael McNeil; Fiscal Year: 2000..0, beta = 96.38_). Dr. Naismith's group has identified a platinum derivative of the E. coli enzyme using heavy metal soaking experiments and crystallized selenomethionine E. coli UDP-galactopyranose mutase.
- Development of selenomethionine resistant yeastTERRI KINZY; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this aspect, one of the most important techniques now routinely used is the production of selenomethionine (SeMet) substituted recombinant proteins...
- SYNERGISTIC METHIONINASE GENE THERAPY OF CANCERYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2000..either: 1) the recombinant methioninase protein (rMETase), which itself has selective antitumor efficacy; 2) selenomethionine (SeMeth) as a prodrug analog cleaved by the METase gene product to toxic methylselenol...
- MHCL RESTRICTED TCR RECOGNITION--STRUCTURAL BASISJia huai Wang; Fiscal Year: 2002..8 A resolution by molecular replacement in conjunction with selenomethionine/MAD phasing...
- SELENIUM SUPPLEMENTATION OF PATIENTS WITH CIRRHOSISRaymond Burk; Fiscal Year: 2000..Subjects in the groups will receive, respectively, 200 mug selenium as selenate, 200 mug selenium as selenomethionine, or placebo in a double blind fashion...
- STRUCTURAL BASIS OF GANGLIOSIDE RECOGNITIONChristine Wright; Fiscal Year: 2003..The crystal structure of the selenomethionine mutant of the GM2-AP has been solved at 2.4 A by multiwavelength anomalous diffraction...
- ASSESSMENT OF SELENIUM STATUS IN MANMorteza Janghorbani; Fiscal Year: 1990..b>selenomethionine) on the validity of the method...
- SELENIUM--ANTIOXIDANT OR PROOXIDANT MECHANISMBarbara Pence; Fiscal Year: 2001..A recent intervention trial in human skin cancer patients demonstrated no efficacy of selenomethionine against the recurrence of basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, although there was a decrease in incidence ..
- Structures of Bacterial Membrane-Bound OxidoreductasesJoel Weiner; Fiscal Year: 2006..9Angstrom resolution and selenomethionine labeled protein crystals, (ii) to develop improved over-expression and purification protocols for DmsABC to ..
- Photoprotection of Skin by Topical SeleniumMOSTAFA OMAR; Fiscal Year: 2002..Formulations - including selenium sulfite, L-selenomethionine, selenotrisulfide, derivatives of lipoic acid and lipoamide - will be tested for percutaneous absorption in ..
- Structure and Diversity of N-Acyl Amino Acid SynthasesRYAN VAN WAGONER; Fiscal Year: 2004..coli. 2-A high-resolution model of the enzyme will be determined through X- ray crystallography on a selenomethionine-containing derivative of an N-aceyl amino acid synthase...
- STRUCTURAL ORGANIZATION AND PROTEOMICS OF TBThomas Terwilliger; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Selenomethionine MAD X-ray data collection on characterized crystals at synchrotron facilities will be emphasized, with ..
- A FEASIBILITY STUDY OF L-SELENOMETHIONINE AND ALPHA-TOCOJeri Kim; Fiscal Year: 2001..To these ends, we will conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled short-term trial of d- alpha-tocopherol, 1-selenomethionine and the combination of d- alpha-tocopherol plus 1-selenomenthionine in presurgical cohorts with clinically ..
- Structure and Mechanism of C1pB from E. coliBRITTNAIE BELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..the classical multiple isomorphous replacent method or by multiwavelength anomalous diffraction (MAD) of the selenomethionine form of the enzyme...
- Structural Studies of NAGSDashuang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Selenium Based Chemoprevention - HGPINJames Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study promises to be the largest and most methodologically rigorous to date of HGPIN, which is widely believed to be the key premalignant lesion for prostate cancer. ..
- Clinical Trial of Selenium and Prostate BiomarkersJames Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2010..scheduled for brachythrapy and prostatectomy to pretreatment supplementation by daily dose of 400 meg selenomethionine, or to placebo...
- NUTRITIONAL PREVENTION OF CANCERJames Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed project will complete the data collection for the NPC trial and will utilize this invaluable resource to verify the effects of selenium supplementation through a series of publications. ..
- Selenium molecular signaling in human prostate cancerClement Ip; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 4 is to study the transcriptional control of GADD153 by selenium. The proposed research is thus designed to examine systemically the impact of GADD153 induction as a result of selenium treatment. ..
- MAMMARY CANCER PREVENTION BY CONJUGATED LINOLEIC ACIDClement Ip; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Selenium protection of bone marrow during chemotherapyMartin Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide a molecular mechanism for bone marrow protection by selenium in combination with cancer chemotherapeutics, and will foster further clinical studies. ..
- Molecular biomarkers of selenium chemopreventionClement Ip; Fiscal Year: 2006..The goal is to broaden our understanding of the significance of clonal suppression of early transformed cells in selenium protection of cancer. ..
- WHAT IS THE METABOLIC FUNCTION OF SELENOPROTEIN W?PHILIP WHANGER; Fiscal Year: 2003..These animals will also be supplemented with selenium to determine the effects upon selenoprotein W and GPX1 and GPX4 induction. ..
- CO POISONING IN THE CONTEXT OF A REPERFUSION INJURYStephen Thom; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research plan is aimed to test the hypothesis that immune responses and the associated oxidative stress cause neurological injuries. ..
- CANCER PREVENTION BY SELENIUM-ENRICHED ALLIUM VEGETABLESClement Ip; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective is to corroborate the significance of clonal suppression of preneoplastic lesions in selenium protection of cancer. ..
- Targets for selenium in prostate cancer preventionJOHN PINTO; Fiscal Year: 2009..identified in this study will provide relevant biomarkers useful for the on-going SELECT Study that examines selenomethionine for prevention of CaP...
- ROLE OF THE P34CDC2 RELATED PITSLRE PROTEIN KINASESMark Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..The greatest impact will be realized in the provision of novel molecular targets for therapeutic intervention strategies. ..
- Adenoviral GFP targeting of metastatic human tumors using multiple delivery routeHiroyuki Kishimoto; Fiscal Year: 2008..Having obtained these results, we can move forward in the Phase II grant application with experiments to bring OBP-401 to the clinic for use in cancer surgery in human patients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer SubtypesPaul J Limburg; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effects of HAART drugs on endothelial dysfunction of pu*Changyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Human Se Nutritional Requirement and Biomarkers in Health and DiseaseRaymond F Burk; Fiscal Year: 2010..An equation was derived that related increase in plasma selenium concentration to selenomethionine intake. The third study showed that some patients in the U.S...
- Orthotopic models of tumor angiogenesis and blood flowMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dual-color tumor-host imaging modelsMeng Yang; Fiscal Year: 2007..These models have significant commercial potential for discovery and development of stroma-targeted and anti-angiogenesis drugs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIV/SIV ENVELOPE GLYCOPROTEIN EFFECTS ON ENDOTHELIAChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Allium Compounds in Control of Human Prostate CancerJOHN PINTO; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- NUTRITIONAL AND METABOLIC SIGNIFICANCE OF SELENIUMRaymond Burk; Fiscal Year: 2003..These and other studies are proposed to evaluate the role of Se-P in protecting endothelial cells (and other cells) against oxidant substances in the extracellular space. ..
- In Vitro Cancer Prevention Biomarker DevelopmentEugene Elmore; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using cluster analysis, we will determine the global gene expression changes induced by each agent. The strength of the proposed approach lies in the high quality data that has already determined from the HEC Assay. ..
- HIV PROTEASE INHIBITORS EFFECT--NENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTIONChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, the integrated basic science, non-human primate and human investigations offer a multi disciplinary approach to the understanding and prevention of protease inhibitor-associated vascular complications. ..
- Neurobehavioral Development in Mercury-Exposed ZebrafishDaniel Weber; Fiscal Year: 2005..exposure through continual yolk absorption of maternally-derived Hg. This study will mirror prospective studies on human populations over much shorter time periods. ..
- Enzyme therapy for hyperhomocysteinemiaYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Phase II results will lead to an IND for MEGC-PEG-rMETase for end stage renal disease patients and other patients with intractable hyperhomocysteinemia and high cardiovascular disease mortality. ..
- Selenium Prevention of Tobacco Smoke-Induced Lung CancerTeresa Fan; Fiscal Year: 2005..1) To examine whether dietary Se supplement in the form of selenized yeast (Se-yeast) or its major component selenomethionine (Se-Met) is chemopreventive for mice that have "quit" smoking; 2) To characterize biomarkers of Se action ..
- Effects of HIV Protease Inhibitors of Endothelial BarrieChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our findings may also suggest new therapeutic strategies, which may eventually prove effective for the prevention and treatment of these complications. ..
- Visualizing Clonal Expansion in Living MiceDouglas Brash; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Insulin, the IGF Axis, and Colorectal NeoplasiaPaul Limburg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Following achievement of these goals, I am confident that I will be ready to continue my career as a successful independent investigator committed to academic research. ..
- Molecular Surgeon Symposium on Vascular Injury, RepairChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..A pre-approved letter for acceptance of submission of this application from NIH/NHLBI is included. ..
- Mechanistic Effects of Organic Selenium Against Colon CMark Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2006..However, the mechanism by which organic selenium exerts its anticancer effects remains to be identified. Selenomethionine is the predominant form of selenium in the yeast...
- Imageable tumor-targeting bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Targeted tumoricidal bacteriaMing Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Future human trials of the tumor-killing bacteria can be held after the Phase I and Phase II grant periods are completed. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RHOMOCYCSTEINASE FOR HOMOCYSTEINE ASSAYYuying Tan; Fiscal Year: 2002..The tHCY enzymatic kits for these applications will be ready for commercial launch at this point. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not Available ..