Genomes and Genes
Summary: Organic compounds which contain P-C-P bonds, where P stands for phosphonates or phosphonic acids. These compounds affect calcium metabolism. They inhibit ectopic calcification and slow down bone resorption and bone turnover. Technetium complexes of diphosphonates have been used successfully as bone scanning agents.
Publications290 found, 100 shown here
- Metastasis to bone: causes, consequences and therapeutic opportunitiesGregory R Mundy
Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MS 7877, San Antonio, Texas 78229 3900, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 2:584-93. 2002....
- Denosumab versus zoledronic acid for treatment of bone metastases in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: a randomised, double-blind studyKarim Fizazi
Institut Gustave Roussy, University of Paris Sud, Villejuif, France
Lancet 377:813-22. 2011..We compared denosumab, a human monoclonal antibody against RANKL, with zoledronic acid for prevention of skeletal-related events in men with bone metastases from castration-resistant prostate cancer...
- Metastatic bone disease: clinical features, pathophysiology and treatment strategiesR E Coleman
Yorkshire Cancer Research Department of Clinical Oncology, Cancer Research Centre, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield
Cancer Treat Rev 27:165-76. 2001....
- Breast-cancer adjuvant therapy with zoledronic acidRobert E Coleman
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, Weston Park Hospital, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 365:1396-405. 2011..We conducted a study to determine whether treatment with zoledronic acid, in addition to standard adjuvant therapy, would improve disease outcomes in such patients...
- Denosumab compared with zoledronic acid for the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced breast cancer: a randomized, double-blind studyAlison T Stopeck
University of Arizona, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:5132-9. 2010....
- Bisphosphonate use and the risk of subtrochanteric or femoral shaft fractures in older womenLaura Y Park-Wyllie
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, and Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 1W8
JAMA 305:783-9. 2011..Oral bisphosphonates have become a mainstay of treatment, but concerns have emerged that long-term use of these drugs may suppress bone remodeling, leading to unusual fractures...
- Long-term use of bisphosphonates in osteoporosisNelson B Watts
University of Cincinnati Bone Health and Osteoporosis Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45219, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1555-65. 2010..Uncommon side effects have emerged in postapproval use. Because bisphosphonates accumulate in bone and are released for months or years after treatment is stopped, it is reasonable to consider the clinical question of how long to treat...
- Atypical subtrochanteric and diaphyseal femoral fractures: report of a task force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral ResearchElizabeth Shane
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, PH 8 West 864, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:2267-94. 2010....
- Oral bisphosphonates and risk of cancer of oesophagus, stomach, and colorectum: case-control analysis within a UK primary care cohortJane Green
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 341:c4444. 2010..To examine the hypothesis that risk of oesophageal, but not of gastric or colorectal, cancer is increased in users of oral bisphosphonates...
- Aminobisphosphonates cause osteoblast apoptosis and inhibit bone nodule formation in vitroAymen I Idris
Rheumatic Diseases Unit, Molecular Medicine Centre, University of Edinburgh, General Western Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, UK
Calcif Tissue Int 82:191-201. 2008..This raises the possibility that inhibition of bone formation by bisphosphonates may be due in part to a direct inhibitory effect on cells of the osteoblast lineage...
- Bisphosphonates: the first 40 yearsR Graham G Russell
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences, Oxford NIHR Biomedical Research Unit, The Oxford University Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences, The Botnar Research Centre, Headington, Oxford, UK
Bone 49:2-19. 2011The first full publications on the biological effects of the diphosphonates, later renamed bisphosphonates, appeared in 1969, so it is timely after 40years to review the history of their development and their impact on clinical medicine...
- Effect of zoledronate acid treatment on osseointegration and fixation of implants in autologous iliac bone grafts in ovariectomized rabbitsMengchun Qi
College of Stomatology, Hebei United University, Tangshan City 063000, China
Bone 50:119-27. 2012..Combined systemic and local use of ZOL exerts best effects when compared to their single use...
- Biochemical and molecular mechanisms of action of bisphosphonatesMichael J Rogers
University of Aberdeen, UK
Bone 49:34-41. 2011..These discoveries are also giving insights into some of the adverse effects of bisphosphonates, such as the acute phase reaction that is triggered by inhibition of FPP synthase in peripheral blood monocytes...
- Mechanisms of action of bisphosphonates: similarities and differences and their potential influence on clinical efficacyR G G Russell
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Oxford University Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences The Botnar Research Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LD, UK
Osteoporos Int 19:733-59. 2008..There is new knowledge about how they work. The differences that exist among individual BPs in terms of mineral binding and biochemical actions may explain differences in their clinical behavior and effectiveness...
- An amino-bisphosphonate targets MMP-9-expressing macrophages and angiogenesis to impair cervical carcinogenesisEnrico Giraudo
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Diabetes Center, and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
J Clin Invest 114:623-33. 2004....
- Exposure to oral bisphosphonates and risk of esophageal cancerChris R Cardwell
Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Grosvenor Rd, Belfast BT12 6BJ, United Kingdom
JAMA 304:657-63. 2010..Esophagitis is a known adverse effect of bisphosphonate use, and recent reports suggest a link between bisphosphonate use and esophageal cancer, but this has not been robustly investigated...
- 2002 clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in CanadaJacques P Brown
Division of Rheumatology, Centre de Recherche du CHUL, Universite Laval, Canada
CMAJ 167:S1-34. 2002....
- Influence of zoledronic acid on disseminated tumor cells in primary breast cancer patientsE F Solomayer
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Medicine, University of Saarland, Homburg, Germany
Ann Oncol 23:2271-7. 2012..Zoledronic acid (ZOL) treatment has reduced DTCs in the bone marrow of patients with EBC in several studies. This controlled study sought to confirm these observations...
- Experimental results of combining bisphosphonates with allograft in a rat modelF Agholme
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Section for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:670-5. 2009..We suggest that bisphosphonates are likely to have a negative influence where resorption is a prerequisite to create space for new bone ingrowth...
- Parathyroid hormone and teriparatide for the treatment of osteoporosis: a review of the evidence and suggested guidelines for its useAnthony B Hodsman
University of Western Ontario, St Joseph s Health Care, Room 2F 15, 268, Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario N6A 4V2, Canada
Endocr Rev 26:688-703. 2005..At present, concurrent therapy with antiresorptive therapy, particularly bisphosphonates, should be avoided, although sequential therapy with such agents may consolidate the beneficial effects upon the skeleton after PTH is discontinued...
- Bisphosphonates and fractures of the subtrochanteric or diaphyseal femurDennis M Black
University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
N Engl J Med 362:1761-71. 2010..A population-based study did not support this association. Such a relationship has not been examined in randomized trials...
- Dissociation of the pro-apoptotic effects of bisphosphonates on osteoclasts from their anti-apoptotic effects on osteoblasts/osteocytes with novel analogsLilian I Plotkin
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, the Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Diseases, The Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham, Mail Slot 587, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Bone 39:443-52. 2006....
- A study of the biological receptor activator of nuclear factor-kappaB ligand inhibitor, denosumab, in patients with multiple myeloma or bone metastases from breast cancerJean Jacques Body
Department of Medicine, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Cancer Res 12:1221-8. 2006..Denosumab (AMG 162), a fully human monoclonal antibody to RANKL, was developed to treat patients with skeletal diseases...
- Denosumab and bisphosphonates: different mechanisms of action and effectsRoland Baron
Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Endocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Bone 48:677-92. 2011..This may explain differences in the degree and rapidity of reduction of bone resorption, their potential differential effects on trabecular and cortical bone, and the reversibility of their actions...
- Development of bisphosphonatesHerbert Fleisch
Breast Cancer Res 4:30-4. 2002..The new P[bond]C[bond]P-containing ATP analogs inhibit cell function and may lead to apoptosis and death of osteoclasts...
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: 62-month follow-up from the ABCSG-12 randomised trialMichael Gnant
Department of Surgery, Comprehensive Cancer Centre Vienna, Medical University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Lancet Oncol 12:631-41. 2011..We have now assessed long-term clinical efficacy including disease-free survival and disease outcomes in patients receiving anastrozole or tamoxifen with or without zoledronic acid...
- Inhibition of heat-shock protein 27 expression eliminates drug resistance of osteosarcoma to zoledronic acidTakeshi Morii
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kyorin University, 6 20 2 Shinkawa Mitaka Tokyo 161 8611 Japan
Anticancer Res 30:3565-71. 2010..Although zoledronic acid (ZOL) has been reported to show anti-tumour effects on various malignant tumours, few studies have reported the molecular mechanisms of resistance to ZOL...
- Bisphosphonates inhibit breast and prostate carcinoma cell invasion, an early event in the formation of bone metastasesS Boissier
, , Lyon, France
Cancer Res 60:2949-54. 2000..These results suggest, therefore, that BPs may be useful agents for the prophylactic treatment of patients with cancers that are known to preferentially metastasize to bone...
- Bisphosphonates in orthopedic applicationsJ Mark Wilkinson
Academic Unit of Bone Metabolism, Department of Human Metabolism, University of Sheffield, Metabolic Bone Centre, Sorby Wing, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Bone 49:95-102. 2011..From experimental data, manipulation of both the anabolic and catabolic responses is a powerful approach in models of bone repair...
- Pharmacology of bisphosphonatesSerge Cremers
Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Bone 49:42-9. 2011..We review here the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data of bisphosphonates that are relevant for their clinical application and for the potential choice of a given compound, focusing on uncertainties that still exist...
- Evidence-based guidelines for the pharmacological treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: a consensus document by the Belgian Bone ClubJ J Body
Department of Medicine, CHU Brugmann, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Osteoporos Int 21:1657-80. 2010..It offers an evidence-based update of previous treatment guidelines, with the aim of providing clinicians with an unbiased assessment of osteoporosis treatment effect...
- A double-blinded head-to-head trial of minodronate and alendronate in women with postmenopausal osteoporosisHiroshi Hagino
Rehabilitation Division and School of Health Science, Tottori University, Yonago, Tottori 683 8504, Japan
Bone 44:1078-84. 2009..In a randomized, active-controlled, double-blinded, multicenter study, the efficacy and safety of minodronate were examined and compared to that of alendronate...
- Use of bisphosphonates and reduced risk of colorectal cancerGad Rennert
Department of Community Medicine and Epidemiology, Carmel Medical Center, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, and Clalit Health Services National Cancer Control Center, Haifa, Israel
J Clin Oncol 29:1146-50. 2011....
- Oral bisphosphonate use and breast cancer incidence in postmenopausal womenRowan T Chlebowski
Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:3582-90. 2010..Emerging clinical evidence suggests intravenous bisphosphonates may inhibit breast cancer while oral bisphosphonates have received limited evaluation regarding breast cancer influence...
- Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosisDennis M Black
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
N Engl J Med 356:1809-22. 2007..We assessed the effects of annual infusions of zoledronic acid on fracture risk during a 3-year period...
- Oral bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis: risk factors, prediction of risk using serum CTX testing, prevention, and treatmentRobert E Marx
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2397-410. 2007..To assess the risk and time course of oral bisphosphonate-induced osteonecrosis of the jaws...
- Subtrochanteric fractures after long-term treatment with bisphosphonates: a European Society on Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis, and International Osteoporosis Foundation Working Group ReportR Rizzoli
Division of Bone Diseases, Department of Rehabilitation and Geriatrics, University Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine of Geneva, 1211, Geneva 14, Switzerland
Osteoporos Int 22:373-90. 2011..Bisphosphonate use may be associated with atypical subtrochanteric fractures, but the case is yet unproven...
- Unusual mid-shaft fractures during long-term bisphosphonate therapyClarita V Odvina
Charles and Jane Pak Center for Mineral Metabolism and Clinical Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 8885, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 72:161-8. 2010..Although existing evidence supports a good safety profile, there is concern that chronic administration of these agents could result in severe suppression of bone turnover with increased risk of nonvertebral fractures...
- Efficacy of zoledronic acid in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole: 36-month results of the ZO-FAST StudyH Eidtmann
Klinik fur Gynakologie und Geburtshilfe, Universitäts Frauenklinik Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Ann Oncol 21:2188-94. 2010..Aromatase inhibitors (AIs) are accepted as adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women (PMW) with hormone-responsive early breast cancer (EBC) with superior efficacy to tamoxifen. However, increased bone loss is associated with AIs...
- Zoledronic acid repolarizes tumour-associated macrophages and inhibits mammary carcinogenesis by targeting the mevalonate pathwayMarta Coscia
Divisione di Ematologia dell Universita di Torino, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria S Giovanni Battista di Torino, Torino, Italy
J Cell Mol Med 14:2803-15. 2010....
- Antitumor effects of doxorubicin followed by zoledronic acid in a mouse model of breast cancerPenelope D Ottewell
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1167-78. 2008..We investigated the effects of clinically achievable doses of doxorubicin (Dox) and Zol, given alone, in sequence, and in combination, on the growth of established breast tumors in vivo...
- Randomized, double-blind study of denosumab versus zoledronic acid in the treatment of bone metastases in patients with advanced cancer (excluding breast and prostate cancer) or multiple myelomaDavid H Henry
Joan Karnell Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19106, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:1125-32. 2011....
- Zoledronic acid induces antiproliferative and apoptotic effects in human pancreatic cancer cells in vitroP Tassone
Oncology Unit, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Via T Campanella, 115 Magna Graecia University, 88100 Catanzaro, Italy
Br J Cancer 88:1971-8. 2003..These findings might be relevant for expanding application of BPs in cancer treatment...
- Sustained nonvertebral fragility fracture risk reduction after discontinuation of teriparatide treatmentRichard Prince
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes and University of Western Australia, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Australia
J Bone Miner Res 20:1507-13. 2005..The hazard ratio for combined teriparatide group (20 and 40 microg) for the 50-month period after baseline was 0.57 (p = 0.002), suggesting a sustained effect in reducing the risk of nonvertebral fragility fracture...
- Zoledronic acid versus placebo in the treatment of skeletal metastases in patients with lung cancer and other solid tumors: a phase III, double-blind, randomized trial--the Zoledronic Acid Lung Cancer and Other Solid Tumors Study GroupLee S Rosen
Cancer Institute Medical Group, 11818 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90025, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:3150-7. 2003..To assess the efficacy and safety of zoledronic acid in patients with bone metastases secondary to solid tumors other than breast or prostate cancer...
- Bisphosphonates: new therapeutic agents for the treatment of bone tumorsDominique Heymann
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie de la Résorption Osseuse et Thérapie des Tumeurs Osseuses Primitives Faculté de Médecine, 1 rue Gaston Veil, 44035 Nantes 1, France
Trends Mol Med 10:337-43. 2004..However, results from clinical trials are conflicting, and whether BPs possess anti-cancer effects or not remains controversial...
- Metastasis and bone loss: advancing treatment and preventionRobert E Coleman
Yorkshire Cancer Research Professor of Medical Oncology, Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, Weston Park Hospital, Whitham Road, Sheffield S102SJ, UK
Cancer Treat Rev 36:615-20. 2010....
- Bone turnover markers as predictors of skeletal complications in prostate cancer, lung cancer, and other solid tumorsJanet E Brown
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, Cancer Research Centre, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:59-69. 2005..We investigated this question in patients with bone metastases secondary to prostate cancer and to non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) and other solid tumors assigned to the placebo arms of two phase III trials of zoledronic acid...
- Antitumor effects of bisphosphonates: promising preclinical evidenceTheresa A Guise
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia, Aurbach Medical Research Building, PO Box 801419, Charlottesville, VA 22903, United States
Cancer Treat Rev 34:S19-24. 2008..Overall, preclinical data suggesting that bisphosphonates have antitumor potential are promising and have provided the impetus for several ongoing clinical studies...
- Effect of dosing frequency on bisphosphonate medication adherence in a large longitudinal cohort of womenRobert R Recker
Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Neb, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 80:856-61. 2005..To compare medication adherence with daily vs weekly bisphosphonate dosing for the treatment or prevention of osteoporosis in a broad US retail pharmacy database population...
- Bisphosphonate use and atypical fractures of the femoral shaftJörg Schilcher
Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health Science, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
N Engl J Med 364:1728-37. 2011..Studies show conflicting results regarding the possible excess risk of atypical fractures of the femoral shaft associated with bisphosphonate use...
- Bisphosphonates and atrial fibrillation: systematic review and meta-analysisYoon Kong Loke
School of Medicine, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Drug Saf 32:219-28. 2009..Bisphosphonates are widely used in osteoporosis, but there have been concerns about a potential link between bisphosphonate therapy and atrial fibrillation...
- Oral bisphosphonates as a cause of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws: clinical findings, assessment of risks, and preventive strategiesLeon A Assael
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:35-43. 2009..A review of the evidence supporting answers to key clinical questions is necessary to assist surgeons in the care of their patients who are receiving oral bisphosphonates...
- Farnesyl diphosphate synthase is involved in the resistance to zoledronic acid of osteosarcoma cellsB Ory
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, ERI 7, Nantes, France
J Cell Mol Med 12:928-41. 2008....
- Efficacy of a nitrogen-containing bisphosphonate, minodronate, in conjunction with a p38 mitogen activated protein kinase inhibitor or doxorubicin against malignant bone tumor cellsTadahiko Kubo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:111-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to develop efficient combination MIN therapy in malignant bone tumors...
- Is bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw caused by soft tissue toxicity?Ian R Reid
Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Bone 41:318-20. 2007....
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and bisphosphonate treatment for osteoporosisRene Rizzoli
University Hospital and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland
Bone 42:841-7. 2008..A majority of ONJ occurs after tooth extraction. Furthermore, the underlying risk of developing ONJ may be increased in osteoporotic patients by comorbid diseases. Treatment for ONJ is generally conservative...
- Bisphosphonates in preclinical bone oncologyPhilippe Clezardin
INSERM, UMR, IFR, Lyon, France
Bone 49:66-70. 2011..This review examines the current evidence and provides insights into ongoing preclinical research on anticancer activities of these bisphosphonates in animal models of tumorigenesis and metastasis...
- The effect of 3 versus 6 years of zoledronic acid treatment of osteoporosis: a randomized extension to the HORIZON-Pivotal Fracture Trial (PFT)Dennis M Black
Department of Epidemiology and Biostastistics, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
J Bone Miner Res 27:243-54. 2012..However, vertebral fracture reductions suggest that those at high fracture risk, particularly vertebral fracture, may benefit by continued treatment...
- Treatment of bone metastasis in prostate cancer: efficacy of a novel polybisphosphonateFlorence Daubiné
Atlantic Bone Screen, Nantes, France
Anticancer Res 31:4141-5. 2011..To investigate the in vivo efficacy of a novel polybisphosphonate (ODX) in the treatment of bone metastasis from prostate cancer...
- A bisphosphonate-coating improves the fixation of metal implants in human bone. A randomized trial of dental implantsJahan Abtahi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Linkoping University Hospital, Sweden
Bone 50:1148-51. 2012..012). In conclusion, a thin, bisphosphonate-eluting fibrinogen coating might improve the fixation of metal implants in human bone. This might lead to new possibilities for orthopedic surgery in osteoporotic bone and for dental implants...
- Fracture risk and zoledronic acid therapy in men with osteoporosisSteven Boonen
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
N Engl J Med 367:1714-23. 2012..Fractures in men are a major health issue, and data on the antifracture efficacy of therapies for osteoporosis in men are limited. We studied the effect of zoledronic acid on fracture risk among men with osteoporosis...
- Inhibition of the mevalonate pathway and activation of p38 MAP kinase are independently regulated by nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates in breast cancer cellsMelinda A Merrell
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 570:27-37. 2007..Of these pathways only growth inhibition is mediated via inhibition of the mevalonate pathway in MDA-MB-231 cells. Combining p38 inhibitors with bisphosphonates may result in increased anti-cancer efficacy...
- Bisphosphonates' antitumor activity: an unravelled side of a multifaceted drug classPhilippe Clezardin
INSERM, Research Unit U664, University of Lyon 1, Faculty of Medicine Lyon Est domaine Laennec, Rue Guillaume Paradin, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Bone 48:71-9. 2011..This review examines the current insights and fronts of ongoing preclinical research on N-BPs' antitumor activity...
- Markers of bone remodeling and skeletal morbidity in patients with solid tumors metastatic to the skeleton receiving the biphosphonate zoledronic acidGiannis Mountzios
Department of Medical Oncology, 251 General Airforce Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Transl Res 155:247-55. 2010..003). None of the markers was able to predict skeletal morbidity or clinical outcomes independently of well-established prognostic clinical parameters...
- Occurrence of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw after surgical tooth extractionGiorgia Saia
Unit of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Padova, Padua, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:797-804. 2010..To evaluate the occurrence of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) in patients exposed to nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (NBPs) requiring surgical tooth extraction...
- Pamidronate (Aredia) and zoledronate (Zometa) induced avascular necrosis of the jaws: a growing epidemicRobert E Marx
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1115-7. 2003
- Reduced colon cancer incidence and mortality in postmenopausal women treated with an oral bisphosphonate--Danish National Register Based Cohort StudyM Pazianas
The Botnar Research Centre and Oxford University Institute of Musculoskeletal Sciences, Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Osteoporos Int 23:2693-701. 2012..The incidence of colon cancer and mortality rate, once colon cancer had been diagnosed, were lower in patients treated with alendronate, posing the question whether alendronate acts as chemopreventive...
- Zoledronic acid (zoledronate) for postmenopausal women with early breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole (ZO-FAST study): final 60-month resultsR Coleman
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, CR UK YCR Sheffield Cancer Research Centre, Sheffield, UK
Ann Oncol 24:398-405. 2013..Although generally more effective than tamoxifen, aromatase inhibitor therapy is associated with increased bone loss and fracture risk...
- A new endogenous ATP analog (ApppI) inhibits the mitochondrial adenine nucleotide translocase (ANT) and is responsible for the apoptosis induced by nitrogen-containing bisphosphonatesHannu Mönkkönen
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Kuopio, POB 1627, Kuopio, FIN 70211, Finland
Br J Pharmacol 147:437-45. 2006....
- High phosphoantigen levels in bisphosphonate-treated human breast tumors promote Vgamma9Vdelta2 T-cell chemotaxis and cytotoxicity in vivoIsmahène Benzaïd
INSERM, UMR 1033, F 69372 Lyon, France
Cancer Res 71:4562-72. 2011..Without Vγ9Vδ2 T-cell expansion, ZOL did not inhibit tumor growth. These findings suggest that cancers-producing high IPP/ApppI levels after ZOL treatment are most likely to benefit from Vγ9Vδ2 T-cell-mediated immunotherapy...
- Zoledronate, ibandronate and clodronate enhance osteoblast differentiation in a dose dependent manner--a quantitative in vitro gene expression analysis of Dlx5, Runx2, OCN, MSX1 and MSX2Felix Peter Koch
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Centre of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Augustusplatz 2, Mainz, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 39:562-9. 2011..The nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates appear to enhance bone density by stimulation of osteoblast differentiation. Non-nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates seem to have less influence on osteoblast differentiation...
- Adoptive immunotherapy for advanced non-small cell lung cancer using zoledronate-expanded γδTcells: a phase I clinical studyMiki Sakamoto
Departments of Immunotherapeutics Medinet, The University of Tokyo Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Immunother 34:202-11. 2011..We conclude that adoptive transfer of zoledronate-expanded γδ T cells is safe and feasible in patients with NSCLC, refractory to other treatments...
- Biomechanical comparison of different surface modifications for dental implantsStephen J Ferguson
Institute for Surgical Technology and Biomechanics, University of Bern, Switzerland
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 23:1037-46. 2008....
- Design and synthesis of active site inhibitors of the human farnesyl pyrophosphate synthase: apoptosis and inhibition of ERK phosphorylation in multiple myeloma cellsYih Shyan Lin
Department of Chemistry, McGill University, 801 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 0B8
J Med Chem 55:3201-15. 2012..An analogue of this series was used to demonstrate inhibition of the intended biological target, resulting in apoptosis and down-regulation of ERK phosphorylation in human MM cell lines...
- Oral bisphosphonate prescriptions and the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagusDang M Nguyen
Gastroenterology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Dig Dis Sci 55:3404-7. 2010..We therefore examined the association between these medications and the risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma (EAC) in patients with Barrett's esophagus (BE)...
- Osteonecrosis of the jaws by intravenous bisphosphonates and osteoradionecrosis: a comparative studyJose V Bagan
University General Hospital, Valencia University, 46014 Valencia, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:e616-9. 2009..We analyze the possible clinical differences between bone jaw exposed areas in ONJ (osteonecrosis of the jaws) and ORN (osteoradionecrosis)...
- Effects of denosumab in patients with bone metastases with and without previous bisphosphonate exposureJean Jacques Body
CHU Brugmann, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
J Bone Miner Res 25:440-6. 2010..Denosumab appeared to be well tolerated in both studies. Denosumab suppresses bone resorption markers independently of prior BP treatment, even in patients who appear to respond poorly to BPs...
- The effect of zoledronic acid incorporated in a poly(D,L-lactide) implant coating on osteoblasts in vitroS Greiner
Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res A 80:769-75. 2007..Changes in sRANKL and OPG production may contribute to the inhibition of osteoclastic bone resorption. This local antiresorptive effect might be clinically useful in osseous implant integration and fracture healing...
- Zoledronic acid treatment of 5T2MM-bearing mice inhibits the development of myeloma bone disease: evidence for decreased osteolysis, tumor burden and angiogenesis, and increased survivalPeter I Croucher
Nuffield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Oxford, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Bone Miner Res 18:482-92. 2003..These data show that zoledronic acid is able to prevent the development of osteolytic bone disease, decrease tumor burden in bone, and increase survival in a model of established myeloma...
- New perspectives on zoledronic acid in breast cancer: potential augmentation of anticancer immune responseErika Hamilton
Department of Medicine Medical Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Cancer Invest 29:533-41. 2011..These new data provide growing insight into a potential mechanism of action for some of the anticancer activity demonstrated by zoledronic acid in breast cancer clinical trials...
- Gastric and esophagus events before and during treatment of osteoporosisPeter Vestergaard
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus C, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 86:110-5. 2010..This points at an effect of the underlying condition being treated or comorbid conditions and drugs being provided in patients with osteoporosis, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and corticosteroids...
- Use of bisphosphonates and risk of breast cancerPeter Vestergaard
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, The Osteoporosis Clinic, Aarhus University Hospital, Tage Hansens Gade 2, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 88:255-62. 2011..Bisphosphonate treatment in women was associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer. However, no causal relationship seemed to be present...
- Exposure to oral bisphosphonates and risk of cancerChris R Cardwell
Centre for Public Health, School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences, Queen s University Belfast, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 131:E717-25. 2012..Although reductions in breast and colorectal cancer incidence were observed in bisphosphonate users it is unclear, particularly for breast cancer, to what extent confounding by low bone density may explain the association...
- Bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: position paper from the Allied Task Force Committee of Japanese Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Japan Osteoporosis Society, Japanese Society of Periodontology, Japanese Society for Oral and MaxillofaToshiyuki Yoneda
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 28:365-83. 2010....
- Occurrence of gastrointestinal cancer in users of bisphosphonates and other antiresorptive drugs against osteoporosisPeter Vestergaard
The Osteoporosis Clinic, Department of Endocrinology and Internal Medicine MEA, Aarhus University Hospital THG, Denmark
Calcif Tissue Int 89:434-41. 2011..However, the association may not be causal as no dose-response or time relationship was present. For colon cancer, the decline with increasing alendronate dose may be due to a "healthy user" effect...
- Emerging therapies to prevent skeletal morbidity in men with prostate cancerPhilip J Saylor
Division of Hematology Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Yawkey 7E, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:3705-14. 2011....
- Prognostic and predictive value of clinical and biochemical factors in breast cancer patients with bone metastases receiving "metronomic" zoledronic acidXinmin Zhao
Department of Medical Oncology, Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center, China
BMC Cancer 11:403. 2011....
- Prevention and treatment of bone metastasesE J Woodward
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, Weston Park Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Curr Pharm Des 16:2998-3006. 2010..However, further results are awaited before routine clinical use in the adjuvant setting can be recommended...
- Bisphosphonates cause osteonecrosis of the jaw-like disease in miceYanming Bi
University of Maryland School of Medicine, 800 W Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Pathol 177:280-90. 2010..The availability of this novel mouse model of BONJ-like disease will help elucidate the pathophysiology of BONJ and ultimately develop novel approaches for prevention and treatment of human BONJ...
- Adherence to weekly oral bisphosphonate therapy: cost of wasted drugs and fracturesO Sheehy
Pharmacoeconomics and Pharmacoepidemiology, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Osteoporos Int 20:1583-94. 2009..Of particular interest are the amounts of money wasted by patients who did not take their BPs long enough to obtain a clinical benefit...
- Bisphosphonates in chronic kidney disease; balancing potential benefits and adverse effects on bone and soft tissueNigel D Toussaint
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:221-33. 2009..The authors review the potential benefits and risks associated with bisphosphonate use for bone protection in CKD, and assess their effect on vascular calcification and atherosclerosis...
- Zoledronic acid delays wound healing of the tooth extraction socket, inhibits oral epithelial cell migration, and promotes proliferation and adhesion to hydroxyapatite of oral bacteria, without causing osteonecrosis of the jaw, in miceYasuyoshi Kobayashi
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565 0871, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 28:165-75. 2010..Our data also suggest that ZOL alters oral bacterial behaviors. These actions of ZOL may be relevant to the pathogenesis of BRONJ...
- Bone-bound bisphosphonate inhibits growth of adjacent non-bone cellsJillian Cornish
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Bone 49:710-6. 2011..It is concluded that bisphosphonates bound to a bone surface can act on adjacent non-bone cells and inhibit their growth. This greatly widens the range of potential target cells for these drugs...
- Receptor activator of NF-kappa B ligand inhibition suppresses bone resorption and hypercalcemia but does not affect host immune responses to influenza infectionRobert E Miller
Department of Cancer Biology, Amgen Washington, 1201 Amgen Court West, Seattle, WA 98119, USA
J Immunol 179:266-74. 2007..RANK-Fc inhibition of RANKL has antiosteoclast activity at doses that have no detectable immunoregulatory activity, suggesting that RANKL inhibitors be further studied for their potential to treat excess bone loss...
- Low-energy femoral fractures associated with the long-term use of bisphosphonates: a case series from a Swiss university hospitalKuntheavy Ing-Lorenzini
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Regional Pharmacovigilance Centre, University Hospitals of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Drug Saf 32:775-85. 2009..Bisphosphonates are effective and well tolerated anti-resorptive drugs used for the treatment of osteoporosis. However, some concerns about their potential long-term negative effects are emerging...
- Compliance with drug therapy for postmenopausal osteoporosisD Weycker
Policy Analysis Inc PAI, Four Davis Court, Brookline, MA, 02445, USA
Osteoporos Int 17:1645-52. 2006..Patient compliance with pharmacotherapy for osteoporosis is typically poor in clinical practice; less frequent dosing with bisphosphonates may improve compliance...
- Depletion of tumor-associated macrophages enhances the effect of sorafenib in metastatic liver cancer models by antimetastatic and antiangiogenic effectsWei Zhang
Liver Cancer Institute and Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University, Key Laboratory for Carcinogenesis and Cancer Invasion, the Chinese Ministry of Education, Shanghai, P R China
Clin Cancer Res 16:3420-30. 2010..To investigate the role of macrophages in tumor progression under sorafenib treatment and to explore whether combination of drugs that deplete macrophages improved the antitumor effect of sorafenib...
- Improving the prediction of medication compliance: the example of bisphosphonates for osteoporosisJeffrey R Curtis
Center for Education and Research on Therapeutics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Med Care 47:334-41. 2009..We tested whether adding information on compliance with other drugs used to treat chronic, asymptomatic conditions would improve the predictive ability of administrative data to identify adherent individuals...
- Efficacy and safety of a once-yearly i.v. Infusion of zoledronic acid 5 mg versus a once-weekly 70-mg oral alendronate in the treatment of male osteoporosis: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, active-controlled studyEric S Orwoll
Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Bone Miner Res 25:2239-50. 2010..It is concluded that a once-yearly i.v. infusion of ZOL 5 mg increased bone density and decreased bone turnover markers similarly to once-weekly oral ALN 70 mg in men with low bone density...
- Bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a key role of inflammation?Philippe Lesclous
Laboratoire Réparation et Remodelages Oro Faciaux, EA2496, Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, France
Bone 45:843-52. 2009..We hypothesize that from an initial focus, bone damage spreads centrifugally, both deeper into the jaw and towards the mucosa before the oral bone exposure and the clinical diagnosis of ONJ...
- ULTRASTRUCTURAL HISTOPATHOLOGY OF HUMAN DENTAL ENAMELJAMES SIMMELINK; Fiscal Year: 1993..Histopathology - third aim is to determine how results of first two studies are modified by fluoride (F), diphosphonates, and genetic disturbances...
- SOLID STATE MR OF BONE MINERALJEROME ACKERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Because the action of diphosphonates includes physicochemical effects involving binding to bone mineral crystals, enhanced understanding of the ..
- NUCLEAR DIAGNOSTIC METHODS FOR RENAL DISEASESJOHN MC AFEE; Fiscal Year: 1980..Abnormal renal accumulation of Tc-99m diphosphonates will be evaluated as a means of detecting abnormalities of renal calcium metabolism in drug-induced of ..
- Evidence-Based Medicine in the Skilled Nursing FacilityCathleen Colon Emeric; Fiscal Year: 2008..Common geriatric syndromes conditions (UTI, fever, osteoporosis, falls, and pneumonia) will be targeted, and both an academic and a community-based Veterans Administration Nursing Home Care Unit will be used. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MENTORED PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWLinda DiMeglio; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will characterize the changes effected by oral bisphosphonate therapy and compare them to a regimen of intravenous bisphosphonate therapy in a group of children with OI. ..
- TWO X-LINKED GENES THAT REGULATE MINERAL HOMEOSTASISMichael Whyte; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Prognostic Marker Analysis of Disseminated Cancer CellsRebecca Aft; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary SyndromeJoan Lo; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Seasonal Bone Loss in MiceClifford Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] Understanding the impact of circadian and circannual rhythms on the skeleton will afford greater insight into homeostatic mechanisms controlling bone maintenance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Weight in Secondary Prevention (WISP)Adrianne Feldstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding which patients will need the most support to manage weight will allow us to design the most cost-effective future programs. ..
- VITAMIN K AND BONE TURNOVER IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENNeil Binkley; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Prevention of Osteoporosis in Men with Prostate CancerSusan Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study will examine a preventive strategy, the potential mechanism of bone loss, the ability of biochemical marker to predict bone mass, and skeletal outcomes when antiresorptive therapy is withdrawn. ..
- Circulating Osteoblast Lineage Cells in HumansSundeep Khosla; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Utilizing Saliva to Measure Bone TurnoverSreenivas Koka; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that our results will identify how salivary biomarkers can be used to assess the osseo-status of patients with, or at risk for, osteoporosis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Mineral and Mechanical Properties of BoneSarandeep Huja; Fiscal Year: 2005..Future interventional studies will examine the mechanisms for the initial and the long-term adaptive response in material properties of bone. ..
- RAGE, Inflammation and Temporomandibular Joint DisordersRegina Landesberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, these studies will identify new markers for disease activity in TMD, as well as new targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Prevention of Postmenopausal Bone Loss with Nitric OxideSunil Wimalawansa; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will also pave the way for the future, for providing more acceptable, affordable and cost- effective therapies for the prevention of postmenopausalosteoporosis. ..
- Osteoporosis Prevention in Early Stage Breast CancerDawn Hershman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Forging Implementation of Cancer Screening Reminder Systems (FICSRS)Adrianne Feldstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DIFFUSION MRI AS BIOMARKER FOR THERAPY RESPONSE IN BREAST CANCER METASTASESAlison T Stopeck; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Prevention of Osteoporosis after TransplantationElizabeth Shane; Fiscal Year: 2002..We are now applying for 3 years of support to complete 12 months of observation on those subjects enrolled after March, 2001 and to complete an additional 24 months of follow-up on enrolled participants. ..
- Targeting Bone Remodeling For the Treatment of OsteoporosisJohn Bilezikian; Fiscal Year: 2008..The purpose of this meeting is to bring together experts from these interdisciplinary fields so as to define the direction of the future. ..
- IDIOPATHIC OSTEOPOROSIS IN PREMENOPAUSAL WOMENElizabeth Shane; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of these studies will have important therapeutic implications for the diagnosis and management of this disorder. ..
- Estrogen Regulation of the Bone Marrrow AdipocyteSundeep Khosla; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Bone Accrual and Hormones in Response to LactationSue Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..The combination of protected time for mentored research and didactics are ideal and will allow her to develop the experience, skills and preliminary data to develop as an independent clinician-scientist. ..
- ADAM: Androgen Deprivation vs. Antiandrogen MonotherapyMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this project will provide important insights into the relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in bone metabolism, and maintenance of muscle size and strength in older men. ..
- PRIMARY HYPERPARATHYROIDISM: NON-CLASSICAL MANIFESTATIONSShonni Silverberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- BISPHOSPHONATE BONE QUALITY IN WOMEN WITH BREAST CANCERSusan Ott; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results of the study will provide valuable information about skeletal effects of high-dose bisphosphonates in humans. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2006..There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bisphosphonates and Oral Complications of Cancer Chemotherapy: A Pilot StudyRegina Landesberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Initiation and Inhibition of Medial Artery CalcificationPaul Price; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- A MECHANISTIC STUDY OF SKELETAL ACTIONS OF 1-34hPTHRobert Lindsay; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Improving Treatment of Newly Diagnosed OsteoporosisPeter Cram; Fiscal Year: 2009..Finally, this work will serve as a model for examining the barriers to and improving treatment of other chronic diseases identified through screening. ..
- Neuropeptide Y for Cancer-Associated AnorexiaAminah Jatoi; Fiscal Year: 2003..These two pilot studies will allow us to lay the groundwork for such larger trials. Our ultimate goal is to help cancer patients who suffer from anorexia. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2007..There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional and Hormonal Determinants of Peak Bone MassMadhusmita Misra; Fiscal Year: 2008..The effects of estrogen in weight recovered vs. non-weight recovered AN will also be studied. ..
- Psychiatric barriers to outpatient care in released HIV-infected offendersJacques Baillargeon; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DEVELOPMENT OF MATURE ZEBRAFISH AS AN ANIMAL MODELEvan Keller; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- GENDER DIFFERENCES IN OSTEOPOROSISElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Genetic and Tissue Engineering for AneurysmsDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful implementation of this research program will advance the field of genetic and tissue engineering and will improve the care of patients harboring life-threatening cerebral aneurysms. ..
- Renal Volume Measurement to Detect Early Kidney DiseaseW O NEILL; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Physiological regulation of FGF-23 by dietary phosphateSHERRI ANN BURNETT; Fiscal Year: 2004..We anticipate that male and female participants will show different physiology. Finally, we anticipate that there will be a diurnal variation in FGF-23 that mirrors the diurnal variation in phosphate. ..
- SODIUM EFFECTS ON BONE METABOLISMLaura Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2002..This study proposes to examine the effects of sodium load and then a sodium restriction diet of calciotropic hormones and biochemical markers of bone metabolism in African American and Caucasian women. ..
- ENHANCED DURABILITY OF BIOPROSTHETIC HEART VALVESMichael Sacks; Fiscal Year: 2004..Determine how chemical treatment alters cuspal layer micromechanics. 2. Quantify PBHV cuspal deformation during the cardiac cycle. 3. Determine how long-term cyclic fatigue alters PBHV later structure and mechanical properties. ..
- Endogenous/Exogenous Sex Hormones & CHD Risk FactorsElizabeth Barrett Connor; Fiscal Year: 2003..These observations may aid in deciding whether individual women should use HRT and, if so, which regimen would provide the most benefit with the least risk. ..
- RISK FOR ENAMEL FLUOROSIS AMONG NORWEGIAN CHILDRENDavid Pendrys; Fiscal Year: 2003..Caries examination will allow comparison with fluorosis and early fluoride exposures. ..
- VULVODYNIA PREVALENCE AND EFFICACY OF 4 INTERVENTIONSGloria Bachmann; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our ultimate goal is to share findings from this and related research with the broadest cross-spectrum of women that we can. ..
- WHI Sex Hormone & Genetic Risk Factors for Hip FractureSteven Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study is a very efficient approach to understanding the etiologies of hip fracture. ..
- LEPTIN, IGFS AND COLORECTAL ADENOMA CANCER RISKPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study may provide insights into the biologic mechanisms whereby obesity is associated with colorectal cancer risk, as well as have practical implications for cancer prevention. ..
- VEGF and bone remodeling in skeletal metastasesEvan Keller; Fiscal Year: 2005..In this aim, we will test which VEGF isoform contributes to CaP cells' osteoblastic activity. We will also evaluate if VEGF induces this activity through MAPK. ..
- Mechanisms and Treatment of Cancer-Related Symptoms ConfCharles Cleeland; Fiscal Year: 2005..The conference should also be of interest to pharmaceutical companies that are developing "pipeline" drugs for symptom control and supportive care. ..
- The Role of Osteocyte Survival in Bone StrengthRobert Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed research plan will reveal the role of osteocyte survival in bone strength and how osteocytes achieve this objective. ..
- TNFR:Fc Gene Transfer for Treatment of PeriodontitisWilliam Giannobile; Fiscal Year: 2006..The use of AAV-TNF: Fc has significant potential as a therapeutic regimen to treat aggressive periodontitis that is governed by an exuberant inflammatory response. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2005..An Advisory Panel is formed of session chairs. There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. ..
- ETHANOL MEDIATED OSTEOPOROSIS AND INTERLEUKIN 6Evan Keller; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Bisphosphonate therapy for HIV-Associated osteopeniaJeannie Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, data generated by this pilot study will lay the foundation for future studies of bisphosphonate therapy in HIV-infected persons with bone disease. ..
- Novel Bisphosphonates for Breast Cancer TherapyMONICA REINHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..Proposed Commercial Application: Not Available. ..
- Novel Bisphosphonates for Multiple Myeloma TherapyMONICA REINHOLZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful development of this new drug-design concept would provide a biologically and commercially superior approach for the treatment and prevention of skeletal-related complications of malignancy. ..
- Colon Cancer Risk: IGF Polymorphisms/Lifestyle FactorsPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2003..As an adjunct to an existing study, this is an efficient, valid cost-effective approach to the investigation of the association between polymorphisms and cancer risk. ..
- Hormones and Colon Cancer: Epigenetic Subtypes, Risk, and SurvivalPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Colon Cancer Pathways: Hyperplastic Polyps and AdenomasPolly Newcomb; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will have implications for understanding the biology and prevention of colorectal cancer. ..
- MECHANOTRANSDUCTION IN BONEDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2003..Data generated by this Program are intended to define some mechanisms by which fluid forces can regulate gene expression, and will attempt to validate these mechanisms by in vivo studies. ..
- Why is Cardiac Risk Increased in Rheumatiod ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2002..ability to control for known cardiovascular risk factors, the extensive medication information allowing for us to explore key hypotheses regarding corticosteroid exposure, and the attempt to simultaneously control for disease severity ..
- Pain Medication Use & Risk Factors for Opioid DependenceDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to use the results of the proposed research to inform a future intervention to improve opioid prescribing within this large pharmacy benefits program. ..
- SHAM-CONTROLLED TRIAL OF PERCUTANEOUS VERTEBROPLASTYDavid Kallmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Osteoporosis in Women with Rheumatoid ArthritisDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..This epidemiologic data will inform future trials of osteoporosis treatments among patients with RA. As well, the study cohort will comprise one of the largest RA registries with an explicit plan to examine osteoporosis. ..
- Sun Valley Workshop on Skeletal BiologyDavid Burr; Fiscal Year: 2004..An Advisory Panel is formed of session chairs. There are plans to advertise and distribute a summary of the workshop, partly using Web-based resources. ..
- Randomized Controlled Testing of Osteoporosis EducationDaniel Solomon; Fiscal Year: 2006..A multi-disciplinary Training Advisory Board will review the applicants progress regularly to ensure that the proposed training goals are met. ..