Genomes and Genes
Summary: A slowly hydrolyzed muscarinic agonist with no nicotinic effects. Bethanechol is generally used to increase smooth muscle tone, as in the GI tract following abdominal surgery or in urinary retention in the absence of obstruction. It may cause hypotension, cardiac rate changes, and bronchial spasms.
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- A reevaluation of the effects of stimulation of the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus on gastric motility in the ratMaureen T Cruz
Department of Pharmacology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20057, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R291-307. 2007..even with intravenous atropine or with activation of gastric muscle muscarinic receptors by intravenous bethanechol. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase with N(omega)-nitro-l-arginine methyl ester (l-NAME) HCl did not augment ..
- Evaluating potential therapies for bladder dysfunction in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis with high-resolution ultrasonographyS Al-Izki
Neuroscience Centre, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
Mult Scler 15:795-801. 2009..Such signs can develop in animal models of MS. Current assessments of bladder properties in animal models are generally invasive, electrophysiological techniques...
- Firing patterns and functional roles of different classes of spinal afferents in rectal nerves during colonic migrating motor complexes in mouse colonVladimir P Zagorodnyuk
Discipline of Human Physiology and Centre for Neuroscience, Flinders Medical Science and Technology Cluster, Flinders University, South Australia, Australia
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 303:G404-11. 2012..afferents were never activated during spontaneous CMMC contractions or tonic contractions induced by bethanechol (100 μM)...
- Bethanechol chloride for the prevention of bladder dysfunction after radical hysterectomy in gynecologic cancer patients: a randomized controlled trial studyTarinee Manchana
Gynecologic Oncology Division and Urogynecology Division, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Int J Gynecol Cancer 21:730-6. 2011b>Bethanechol chloride is considered as a treatment in patients with high postvoid residual urine (PVR)...
- Postoperative analgesia induced by intrathecal neostigmine or bethanechol in ratsW A Prado
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:648-54. 2009..2. In the present study, a model of postoperative pain was used to determine the antinociceptive effects of bethanechol (a muscarinic agonist) and neostigmine administered intrathecally 2, 24 or 48 h after a plantar incision in a ..
- Effects of bethanechol on canine urinary bladder smooth muscle functionC Buranakarl
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Res Vet Sci 71:175-81. 2001We studied whether the effects of bethanechol are mediated via a muscarinic receptor, the role of extracellular calcium on bladder contraction, and down-regulation of bladder contraction by bethanechol after activation with potassium ..
- Modulation of gastric contractions in response to tachykinins and bethanechol by extrinsic nervesU Holzer-Petsche
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University of Graz, Austria
Br J Pharmacol 103:1958-62. 1991..3. The order of potency in inducing gastric contractions was NKA greater than SP greater than bethanechol. SP-methylester was markedly less effective than SP and its effects did not fit sigmoid dose-response curves (..
- Stability of bethanechol chloride, pyrazinamide, quinidine sulfate, rifampin, and tetracycline hydrochloride in extemporaneously compounded oral liquidsL V Allen
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City 73117, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 55:1804-9. 1998..b>Bethanechol chloride 5 mg/mL, pyrazinamide 10 mg/mL, quinidine sulfate 10 mg/mL, rifampin 25 mg/mL, and tetracycline ..
- Pharmacological discrimination between muscarinic receptor signal transduction cascades with bethanechol chlorideLiwang Liu
Program in Neuroscience, Program in Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Department of Physiology, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, 55 Lake Ave North, Worcester, MA 01655, U S A
Br J Pharmacol 138:1259-70. 2003..We have characterized the inhibitory effects of two muscarinic agonists, oxotremorine-M (Oxo-M) and bethanechol chloride (BeCh), on Ca(2+) currents in neonatal rat superior cervical ganglion neurons. 2...
- Prostaglandin E2 and bethanechol in combination for treating detrusor underactivityR G Hindley
Department of Urology, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, East Sussex, UK
BJU Int 93:89-92. 2004..randomized double-blind study, that the combination of intravesical prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and oral bethanechol chloride (BC) are additive or synergistic in improving bladder emptying, as they have been used alone for ..
- Mechanisms of altered vagal control in heart failure: influence of muscarinic receptors and acetylcholinesterase activityMark E Dunlap
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Medical Research Service 151W, 10701 East Blvd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H1632-40. 2003..Conversely, muscarinic receptor activation by bethanechol, and indirectly by neostigmine, elicited exaggerated R-R interval responses in HF...
- Short fasting dramatically decreases rat duodenal secretory responsiveness to orexin A but not to VIP or melatoninGunnar Flemström
Department of Neuroscience, Division of Physiology, Uppsala University, SE 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G1091-6. 2003..Similarly, short fasting caused a 100-fold increase in the amount of the muscarinic agonist bethanechol (from 50 to 5,000 nmol x kg(-1) x h(-1)) required for stimulation of the secretion...
- Development of ovine fetal ileal motility: role of muscarinic receptor subtypesNoboru Oyachi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance 90509 2910, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:953-7. 2003..In view of the limited knowledge of fetal GI motility development, and the primary role of the muscarinic system in adult GI motility, we examined the development of GI muscarinic receptor subtypes associated with ileal motility...
- The efficacy of pilocarpine and bethanechol upon saliva production in cancer patients with hyposalivation following radiation therapyMeir Gorsky
School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:190-5. 2004Pilocarpine and bethanechol have been reported as potentially effective sialogogues for xerostomic patients...
- TNF-alpha hyperpolarizes membrane potential and potentiates the response to nicotinic receptor stimulation in cultured rat myenteric neuronesM Rehn
Institute for Veterinary Physiology, University of Giessen, Giessen, Germany
Acta Physiol Scand 181:13-22. 2004..Tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) plays a central role in the pathophysiology of inflammatory bowel disease. The present experiments were designed to characterize the action of this cytokine on enteric neurones...
- Murine in vitro whole bladder physiologyJoel C Hutcheson
Division of Urology, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 539:337-45. 2003
- Regional gastric contractility alterations in a diabetic gastroparesis mouse model: effects of cholinergic and serotoninergic stimulationArlene N James
Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G612-9. 2004..The contractile effects of bethanechol, serotonin, and tegaserod in fundic, antral, and pyloric circular muscle were compared in C57BLKS/J db/db mice ..
- Acetylcholine release in the pontine reticular formation of C57BL/6J mouse is modulated by non-M1 muscarinic receptorsC G Coleman
Departments of Anesthesiology and Pharmacology, University of Michigan, 7433 Medical Sciences Building I, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0615, USA
Neuroscience 126:831-8. 2004..The muscarinic agonist bethanechol dialyzed into the PnO significantly decreased ACh release by 60% compared with control...
- Nicotinic and muscarinic acetylcholine receptors are essential for the long-term response of tyrosine hydroxylase gene expression to chronic nicotine treatment in rat adrenal medullaReiji Yoshimura
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester Medical Center, P O Box 711, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 126:188-97. 2004..Repeated injections of the mAChR agonist bethanechol (5 mg/kg injected twice per day for 7 days) also produced increases in TH mRNA levels; however, TH protein ..
- Interaction between adenosine and allergen or compound 48/80 on lung parenchymal strips from actively sensitized Brown Norway ratsCedric Wolber
Novartis Institutes of Biomedical Research, Novartis Pharma AG, WSJ 386 510, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Eur J Pharmacol 498:227-32. 2004..Thus, activation of mast cells in the lung by either immunological or non-immunological stimuli results in augmentation of the mast cell-mediated contractile response to adenosine...
- An embryonic chick pancreas organ culture model: characterization and neural control of exocrine releaseConnie A Meacham
U S Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Neurotoxicology Division, Neurophysiology Branch, MD B105 05, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Auton Neurosci 105:118-30. 2003..The effects of synthetic muscarinic agonists (bethanechol and carbachol) and subtype-specific antagonists affected amylase release to varying degrees suggesting ..
- Neuronal adrenergic and muscular cholinergic contractile hypersensitivity in canine jejunum after extrinsic denervationBruno M Balsiger
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University of Bern, Switzerland
J Gastrointest Surg 7:572-82. 2003..extrinsic denervation caused an increased sensitivity to the procontractile effects of the cholinergic agonist bethanechol at the level of the smooth muscle cells, and increased sensitivity to the inhibitory effects of the adrenergic ..
- Micturition disturbance in acute idiopathic autonomic neuropathyR Sakakibara
Department of Neurology, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:287-91. 2004..To define the nature of micturition disturbance in patients with acute idiopathic autonomic neuropathy (AIAN)...
- The relationship between agonist intrinsic activity and the rate of endocytosis of muscarinic receptors in a human neuroblastoma cell lineP G Szekeres
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 53:759-65. 1998..An important implication of this analysis is that extremely weak partial agonists (which may in practice be indistinguishable from antagonists) may produce significant receptor internalization...
- Aging effects on contractility of longitudinal and circular detrusor and trigone of rat bladderM K Pagala
Neuromuscular Research Laboratory, Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11219, USA
J Urol 166:721-7. 2001..potassium and 1 to 1,000 microM. bethanechol using a digital oscilloscope...
- Inhibition of pancreatic protein secretion by ghrelin in the ratW Zhang
Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Physiol 537:231-6. 2001..pancreatic protein secretion caused by the central vagal stimulant 2-deoxy-D-glucose (75 mg kg(-1)), whereas bethanechol-stimulated pancreatic protein output was inhibited by only 59 +/- 7 %. 5...
- Acute effects of serotonin on rat bladder contractilityHyung Jee Kim
Department of Urology, Dankook University College of Medicine, Cheonan, Chungnam, Korea
Urol Int 68:44-8. 2002..The purpose of this study is to investigate in vitro the effects of serotonin on the rat detrusor. In particular, it examines which drugs inhibit the serotonin-induced detrusor contractions...
- Impaired gastrocolonic response and peristaltic reflex in slow-transit constipation: role of 5-HT(3) pathwaysEinar S Björnsson
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 41345 Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 283:G400-7. 2002..Granisetron did not modify the peristaltic reflex. Colonic responses to bethanechol were similar in patients and volunteers...
- Pandysautonomia associated with impaired ganglionic neurotransmission and circulating antibody to the neuronal nicotinic receptorDavid S Goldstein
Building 10, Room 6N252, Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD, USA
Clin Auton Res 12:281-5. 2002..The findings in this case support the concept that circulating antibodies to this receptor can interfere with ganglionic neurotransmission and produce autoimmune autonomic neuropathy...
- Antagonistic effects of CompB on orphanin FQ-induced colonic contractions in ratsHitoshi Tada
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 454:53-8. 2002..In contrast, CompB had no inhibitory effects on dynorphin A-induced contractions in vivo and in vitro. These indicate that CompB is a selective orphanin FQ receptor antagonist of the rat colon...
- ERG K+ channels modulate the electrical and contractile activities of gallbladder smooth muscleEdward Parr
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, The University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 284:G392-8. 2003..001). E-4031 also potentiated bethanechol-induced contractions...
- Muscarinic receptors couple to modulation of nicotinic ACh receptor desensitization in myenteric neuronsErika N Brown
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G37-44. 2003..This effect may involve activation of a PKC-dependent pathway. These data also suggest that nAChRs and muscarinic receptors are coupled functionally through an intracellular signaling pathway in myenteric neurons...
- Brain muscarinic receptor subtypes mediating water intake and Fos following cerebroventricular administration of bethanecol in ratsNeil E Rowland
Department of Psychology, University of Florida, P O Box 112250, Gainesville, FL 32611 2250, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 167:174-9. 2003..The brain regions and receptor subtypes involved in water intake following central cholinergic stimulation have been incompletely characterized...
- Expanded parietal cell pool in transgenic mice unable to synthesize histamineB Hunyady
First Dept of Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Pecs, Pecs, Hungary
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:133-40. 2003..The histidine decarboxylase enzyme (HDC) is responsible for the synthesis of histamine in mammals. Histidine decarboxylase-deficient (HDC-/-) mice have recently been developed by targeted mutation of the HDC gene...
- Mechanisms mediating cholinergic antral circular smooth muscle contraction in ratsHelena F Wrzos
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, Pennsylvania State University, PO Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
World J Gastroenterol 10:3292-8. 2004To investigate the pathway (s) mediating rat antral circular smooth muscle contractile responses to the cholinomimetic agent, bethanechol and the subtypes of muscarinic receptors mediating the cholinergic contraction.
- The DHE cell line as a model for studying rat gastro-intestinal mucin expression: effects of dexamethasoneAurelien Trompette
INSERM U45, IFR62, Faculte de Medecine Laennec, Lyon, France
Eur J Cell Biol 83:347-58. 2004..Functional experiments showed that bethanechol, A23187 and PMA stimulated release of glycoconjugates in DHE but not in LGA cells...
- Assessment of the use of sialogogues in the clinical management of patients with xerostomiaNita Chainani-Wu
Department of Orofacial Sciences, University of California, San Francisco, Calif, USA
Spec Care Dentist 26:164-70. 2006This study was conducted to assess the clinical efficacy and adverse effects of pilocarpine, bethanechol and cevimeline in patients with xerostomia...
- Ileitis alters neuronal and enteroendocrine signalling in guinea pig distal colonAlan E Lomax
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Gut 56:186-94. 2007..Human studies have reported functional alterations at sites distant from active inflammation. Our aims were to determine whether neuronal and enteroendocrine signalling are altered in the uninflamed colon during ileitis...
- Muscarinic regulation of ether-a-go-go-related gene K+ currents in interstitial cells of CajalCatherine M Mckay
Intestinal Disease Research Program, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:1112-23. 2006..The muscarinic agonist bethanechol reduced hyperpolarization-evoked peak ERG currents at -100 mV by 23 +/- 1% and increased both fast and slow ..
- An M2-like muscarinic receptor enhances a delayed rectifier K+ current in rat sympathetic neuronesH Cruzblanca
Centro Universitario de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad de Colima, Colima, Col 28045, Mexico
Br J Pharmacol 149:441-9. 2006..Because delayed rectifier K+ channels are essential to sustain tonic firing in central neurones, we asked whether the delayed rectifier current IKV in SCG neurones was modulated by the muscarinic receptors expressed in these cells...
- Acute rejection and the muscularis propria after intestinal transplantation: the alloresponse, inflammation, and smooth muscle functionNico Schaefer
Department of Surgery, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn, Germany
Transplantation 85:1465-75. 2008..Thus we hypothesized that inflammation within the intestinal muscularis is involved in the promotion of acute rejection in intestinal allografts and that this causes smooth muscle dysfunction...
- Inhibition of the gastric H+,K+ -ATPase by plectrinone A, a diterpenoid isolated from Plectranthus barbatus AndrewsCarla Schultz
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Department of Pharmacology, Natural Products Section, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 111:1-7. 2007..of the originating extract, on both the basal and stimulated acid secretion by histamine (His) (1 microM) or bethanechol (100 microM). At the same concentrations the gastric H(+),K(+)-ATPase activity was also inhibited...
- M3 muscarinic receptor-deficient mice retain bethanechol-mediated intestinal ion transport and are more sensitive to colitisChristina L Hirota
Intestinal Disease Research Programme, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:1153-61. 2006..Short-circuit current (ISC) responses to the muscarinic receptor agonist bethanechol were slightly decreased in ileal tissue from M3 KO mice compared with tissue from WT mice, whereas responses ..
- Effects of spermine on the relaxation response of rat detrusor smooth musclesSoon Chul Myung
Department of Urology and Physiology, Chung Ang University, College of Medicine, Dongjak Gu, Huksuk Dong 221, Seoul, South Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 573:196-200. 2007..e., acetylcholine, bethanechol, high-K, and tetraethylammonium (TEA) were measured...
- Corticotropin-releasing factor inhibition of sheep fetal colonic contractility: mechanisms to prevent meconium passage in uteroJayaraman Lakshmanan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:357.e1-7. 2007..In humans, fetal in utero meconium (MEC) passage rarely occurs before term gestation. We hypothesized the existence of inhibitory mechanism(s) preventing colonic motility and MEC passage prior to term...
- Bethanechol improves smooth muscle function in patients with severe ineffective esophageal motilityAmit Agrawal
Digestive Diseases Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:366-70. 2007..b>Bethanechol, a direct-acting muscarinic receptor agonist, has been shown in healthy volunteers to produce a significant ..
- The effects of tertiapin-Q on responses of the sinoatrial pacemaker of the guinea-pig heart to vagal nerve stimulation and muscarinic agonistsChris P Bolter
Department of Physiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 913, Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Exp Physiol 93:53-63. 2008....
- The effects of cholinergic stimulation and of nucleoside transport inhibition on spikes and spike patches in the canine small intestine in vivoWim J E P Lammers
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Eur J Pharmacol 568:234-41. 2007..v. administration of bethanechol or nucleoside transport inhibitor. Vehicle injections in 8 dogs served as controls...
- Intestinal ischemia/reperfusion injury aggravates talc-induced adhesions in ratsPin Murata
R and D Division, Tsumura and Co, 2 Rokubancho, Tokyo, Japan
J Surg Res 135:45-51. 2006..The aim of the current study was to investigate the involvement of intestinal ischemia/reperfusion (I/R) injury in adhesion formation in rats...
- Inhibitory M2 muscarinic receptors are upregulated in both axotomized and intact small diameter dorsal root ganglion cells after peripheral nerve injuryK I Hayashida
Department of Anesthesiology and Center for the Pharmacologic Plasticity in the Presence of Pain, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neuroscience 140:259-68. 2006..intracellular Ca(2+) response to membrane depolarization, the effect of the M2 muscarinic receptor agonist bethanechol on individual dorsal root ganglion cells from normal and L5-6 spinal nerve-ligated rats, followed by M2 ..
- Bethanechol provocation testing does not predict symptom relief after cholecystectomy for acalculous biliary painA Smythe
Department of Surgery, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, K Floor, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Dig Liver Dis 36:682-6. 2004..We have previously shown that bethanechol, a muscarinic stimulant causes differential stimulation of these two regions.
- Effects of intestinal protozoa infection on gastrointestinal transit and contractility in experimental animalsSonia R Allam
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 34:1009-24. 2004..The circular smooth muscle did not show an increase in contractility. The results suggest that an altered gastrointestinal transit and smooth muscle contractility may be involved in the intestinal protozoa infections' pathophysiology...
- Gastroesophageal reflux and prokinetic agentsDavita Hammer
St Luke s Hospital, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Neonatal Netw 24:51-8; quiz 59-62. 2005
- Rapid adaptation of pancreatic exocrine function to short-term alcohol feeding in ratsXiaoying Deng
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pancreatology 5:183-95. 2005..However, the origin, nature and timing of hyperstimulation/hypersecretion are unknown...
- Respiratory function in rats restrained for extended periods: assessment of the effects of bethanecolDavid Harris
Department of Pharmacology, Quintiles Limited, Heriot Watt University Research Park, Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AP, UK
J Pharmacol Toxicol Methods 52:83-9. 2005..Previously, animals have been placed in plethysmography chambers for short durations. This study investigates the possibility of restraining animals in chambers for a longer duration to assess respiratory function over extended periods...
- The effects of bethanechol and cisapride on urodynamic parameters in patients undergoing radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyAlberto P Madeiro
São Marcos Hospital, Piauí Cancer Society, Av Cel Costa Araújo, 3033, Horto Florestal, Teresina, Piaui, 64049 460, Brazil
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:248-52. 2006To evaluate the effects of bethanechol and cisapride on urodynamic parameters in patients undergoing radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer...
- In vitro effects of bethanechol on smooth muscle preparations from abomasal fundus, corpus, and antrum of dairy cowsM Buehler
Clinic for Ruminants, Vetsuisse Faculty of the University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Res Vet Sci 84:444-51. 2008..The goal of the study was to investigate the effect of the muscarinic agonist bethanechol (BeCh) on contractility parameters of smooth muscle preparations from several regions of the bovine abomasum (..
- Effects of the selective acetylcholinesterase inhibitor TAK-802 on the voiding behavior and bladder mass increase in rats with partial bladder outlet obstructionTadatoshi Hashimoto
Pharmaceutical Research Division, Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Osaka, Japan
J Urol 174:1137-41. 2005..obstruction (BOO) vs rats treated with the nonselective AChE inhibitor distigmine and the muscarinic agonist bethanechol. In addition, the effect of repeat doses of TAK-802 on the bladder mass increase associated with BOO was also ..
- Effect of modulation of serotonergic, cholinergic, and nitrergic pathways on murine fundic size and compliance measured by ultrasonomicrometryLin Xue
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G74-82. 2006..The expected responses to pharmacological modulation with bethanechol and nitroglycerin were demonstrated...
- In vitro effects of bethanechol on equine gastrointestinal contractility and functional characterization of involved muscarinic receptor subtypesM Marti
Clinic for Ruminants, Department of Clinical Veterinary Medicine and Division of Veterinary Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 28:565-74. 2005The goal of this study was to investigate the effect of bethanechol (BeCh) on contractility patterns of smooth muscle preparations of equine duodenum descendens, jejunum, caecum and pelvic flexure in vitro...
- Neurogenic bladder and chronic urinary retention associated with MDMA abuseJohn R Beuerle
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Med Toxicol 4:106-8. 2008..We report a case of neurogenic bladder and chronic urinary retention associated with MDMA abuse...
- [Bethanechol for neonatal transient gastrointestinal dismotility in two cases of congenital myotonic dystrophy]Kiyoshi Matsui
Division of Neonatalogy, Kanagawa Children s Medical Center, Yokohama
No To Hattatsu 39:304-8. 2007..We report two cases with congenital MD treated with bethanechol (0.25 mg/kg/dose 30 min before breast milk, 8 doses/day) for gastrointestinal dismotility...
- Mediation by the same muscarinic receptor subtype of phasic and tonic contractile activities in the rat isolated portal veinM Pfaffendorf
Department of Pharmacotherapy, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 108:132-8. 1993..the rank order of potency: acetylcholine > muscarine > methacholine > carbachol > aceclidine > bethanechol. These effects were superimposed on a sustained contracture at higher concentrations...
- Regulation of drug absorption from small intestine by enteric nervous system I: a poorly absorbable drug via passive diffusionKazutaka Higaki
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama University, Japan
Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 19:198-205. 2004..of ENS on the intestinal absorption of phenol red was examined by adding epinephrine, an adrenergic agonist, or bethanechol, a cholinergic agonist into the vascular perfusate in the vascular-luminal perfused rat small-intestine ..
- Secretory and radioligand binding studies on muscarinic receptors in bovine and feline chromaffin cellsJ J Ballesta
Departmento de Neuroquimica, Universidad de Alicante, Facultad de Medicina, Spain
J Physiol 418:411-26. 1989..potencies: methacholine greater than oxotremorine greater than McN-A-343 greater than pilocarpine greater than bethanechol greater than muscarine...
- Inhibitory effect of intravenous GABA antagonists on gastric acid secretion stimulated by secretagogues in ratsW C Lin
Department of Drug Evaluation and Toxicological Sciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 49:267-74. 1989..b>Bethanechol (BeCh)-stimulated acid secretion was definitely inhibited by bicuculline, a GABA antagonist, and strychnine, a ..
- Neuropeptide Y in salivary glands of the rat: origin, release and secretory effectsJ Ekstrom
Department of Pharmacology, Goteborg University, Sweden
Regul Pept 61:125-34. 1996..M) showed NPY to be less effective than vasoactive intestinal peptide and adrenaline, but as effective as bethanechol and substance P, in releasing protein (and amylase) in parotid and submandibular gland tissues; in sublingual ..
- Inhibition of gastric acid secretion by a standardized aqueous extract of Cecropia glaziovii Sneth and underlying mechanismC Souccar
Department of Pharmacology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Natural Products Section, 04044 020 Rua Três de Maio 100, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Phytomedicine 15:462-9. 2008..The results indicate that C. glazioui constituents inhibit the gastric proton pump; this effect may account for the effective antisecretory and antiulcer activities of the standardized plant extract...
- Sensory nerve-mediated inhibitory responses in airways of F344 ratsJ L Szarek
Department of Pharmacology, Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, WV 25704 9388, USA
Toxicology 122:101-10. 1997..In intrapulmonary bronchi that were contracted with bethanechol, substance P evoked a biphasic response characterized by an increase in tension above that induced by ..
- Different muscarinic receptor subtypes mediating the phasic activity and basal tone of pig isolated intravesical ureterM Hernandez
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 110:1413-20. 1993..Moreover carbachol, methacholine and oxotremorine-M increased both contractile parameters while bethanechol and McN-A-343 evoked only increases in tone without affecting the frequency of the phasic contractions. 3...
- Effects of direct and indirect acetylcholine receptor agonists on growth hormone secretion in humansE Mazza
Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, University of Turin, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 254:17-20. 1994..o., n = 19; neostigmine, 10 micrograms/kg i.v., n = 6; physostigmine, 12.5 micrograms/kg i.v., n = 6) and bethanechol, a direct muscarinic receptor agonist that is mainly active on muscarinic M3 receptors (25 micrograms/kg i.v...
- Effects of muscarinic agonists in the guinea-pig prostateF Mitchelson
Department of Pharmacology, University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 27:113-21. 2007..The finding provides no evidence that facilitatory M(1) autoreceptors on cholinergic neurons play a major role in the facilitation of contractions...
- Urinary dysfunction and orthostatic hypotension in multiple system atrophy: which is the more common and earlier manifestation?R Sakakibara
Uro Neurology Group, Department of Neurology, Chiba University, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 68:65-9. 2000..A detailed questionnaire was given and autonomic function tests were performed in 121 patients with MSA concerning both urinary and cardiovascular systems...
- Potentiation by baclofen of gastric acid secretion stimulated by secretagogues in vagotomized rats under anesthesia- Lin W-C
Department of Pharmacology, China Medical College, Taiwan
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 91:211-24. 1996..In contrast, baclofen dose-dependently potentiated acid secretion induced by pentagastrin, bethanechol and direct vagal stimulation, but not by histamine...
- Antiulcerogenic activity of four extracts obtained from the bark wood of Quassia amara L. (Simaroubaceae)Walber Toma
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biol Pharm Bull 25:1151-5. 2002..In the indomethacin/bethanechol-induced gastric ulcer, 70% EtOH, 100% EtOH, DCM and HEX extracts, 100 mg/kg, p.o...
- Uroneurological assessment of spina bifida cystica and occultaRyuji Sakakibara
Department of Neurology, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Neurourol Urodyn 22:328-34. 2003..Herein, we report the results of uroneurological assessment in patients with spina bifida cystica and occulta, with respect to diagnosis and management of the disorders...
- Effect of thyroxine on urinary bladder autonomic receptor densities and contractilityM E Hess
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6084
Pharmacology 46:248-53. 1993..of the 3 groups of rats to electrical field stimulation and the following drugs was measured: isoproterenol; bethanechol; methoxamine; adenosine triphosphate, and potassium chloride...
- Muscarinic regulation of cytosolic free calcium in canine tracheal smooth muscle cells: Ca2+ requirement for phospholipase C activationC M Yang
Department of Pharmacology, Chang Gung Medical College, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Br J Pharmacol 110:1239-47. 1993..Addition of the partial agonist, bethanechol, showed a smaller increase in PIP2 turnover and [Ca2+]i than did ACh or carbachol. 3...
- Muscarinic receptors control glucagon-like peptide 1 secretion by human endocrine L cellsYounes Anini
Department of Physiology, Medical Sciences Building, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Endocrinology 144:3244-50. 2003..001). Bethanechol, a nonselective muscarinic agonist, significantly stimulated GLP-1 secretion to 187 +/- 20% of the control (P &..
- Regulation of gall bladder motility by the arginine-nitric oxide pathway in guinea pigsM Mourelle
Digestive System Research Unit, Hospital General Vall d Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Gut 34:911-5. 1993..Intraluminal gall bladder pressure was recorded in anaesthetised guinea pigs in response to cholecystokinin or bethanechol before and after treatment with specific NO synthase inhibitors (NG-nitro-L-arginine, NG-nitro-L-arginine ..
- Antiulcerogenic effect and cytotoxic activity of semi-synthetic crotonin obtained from Croton cajucara BenthAna Beatriz Albino de Almeida
Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Eur J Pharmacol 472:205-12. 2003..50, 100 and 200 mg/kg), we used the models of gastric ulcer induced by ethanol/HCl, stress, indomethacin/bethanechol, and ethanol in male Swiss mice and male Wistar rats...
- Natural trans-crotonin: the antiulcerogenic effect of another diterpene isolated from the bark of Croton cajucara BenthClelia Akiko Hiruma-Lima
Departamento de Fisiologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biol Pharm Bull 25:452-6. 2002..05) gastric injury induced by stress (72, 67%), indomethacin/bethanechol (78, 29%) and pylorus ligature (35, 30%)...
- Cyclic GMP does not inhibit protein kinase C-mediated enzyme secretion in rat pancreatic aciniD Menozzi
Digestive Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland 20892
J Biol Chem 264:995-9. 1989..at concentrations in the nanomolar range, inhibited the stimulation of amylase secretion caused by CCK-8, bethanechol, bombesin, and 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate (TPA). Rogers et al...
- Fluoxetine and sertraline stimulate gastric acid secretion via a vagal pathway in anaesthetised ratsOmar M E Abdel Salam
Department of Pharmacology, National Research Centre, Tahrir St, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
Pharmacol Res 50:309-16. 2004..of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, fluoxetine and sertraline on basal, secretagogues (histamine or bethanechol)- and distention-stimulated gastric acid secretion was investigated in the urethane-anaesthetised acute gastric ..
- Effects of cholinergic stimulation and aldosterone administration on salivary parotid secretion in the brushtail possum, Trichosurus vulpeculaN A Scott
School of Biological Science, University of N S W, Kensington, Australia
Arch Oral Biol 39:351-60. 1994Parotid salivation was stimulated by infusion of bethanechol chloride into anaesthetized brushtail possums to ascertain maximal flow rates, salivary composition and dietary adaptations of salivary function...
- Involvement of the peripheral cholinergic muscarinic system in the compensatory ovarian hypertrophy in the ratVladimir Trkulja
Department of Pharmacology, Croatian Brain Research Institute, Zagreb University School of Medicine, Zagreb, Croatia
Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 229:793-805. 2004..Vagus plays a role in the occurrence of the changed muscarinic receptor-PI breakdown relationship in the remaining ovary...
- Effect of metoclopramide, bethanechol, and loperamide on gastric residence time, gastric emptying, and mouth-to-cecum transit timeM G Kirby
University of North Carolina School of Pharmacy, Chapel Hill
Pharmacotherapy 9:226-31. 1989The effects of metoclopramide, bethanechol, and loperamide on the gastric residence time (GRT), gastric emptying (GE), and mouth-to-cecum transit time (MCTT) of a solution were investigated in three separate studies of five healthy male ..
- Effect of peptide YY on insulin release stimulated by 2-deoxyglucose and neuropeptides in dogsY S Guo
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77550
Pancreas 3:128-34. 1988..v. bolus) or atropine (25 micrograms/kg bolus followed by 20 micrograms/kg/h i.v.) plus 2-DG (75 mg/kg i.v.) or bethanechol (80 micrograms/kg/h i.v.) or vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP, 4 micrograms/kg i.v...
- Capsaicin-sensitive vagal afferent fibers and stimulation of gastric acid secretion in anesthetized ratsH E Raybould
CURE VA Wadsworth Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90073
Eur J Pharmacol 167:237-43. 1989..0 mg/kg s.c., bethanechol 0.5 mg/kg s.c. or pentagastrin 16 micrograms/kg per h i.v.)...
- Interaction of hemorrhagic shock and subsequent polymicrobial sepsis on gastrointestinal motilityMarcus Overhaus
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Shock 31:382-9. 2009..rats were studied for gastrointestinal transit and in vitro colonic circular muscle contractility to bethanechol. Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction quantified IL-6, IL-10, and heme oxygenase 1 messenger RNA ..
- Relationships between plasma composition and parotid salivary composition and secretion rates in the potoroine marsupials, Aepyprymnus rufescens and Potorous tridactylusA M Beal
School of Biological Science, University of New South Wales, Kensington, Australia
J Comp Physiol B 162:637-45. 1992..neither species secreted spontaneously and secretion was stimulated by intravenous infusion of carbachol, bethanechol and isoprenaline...
- Muscarinic receptor interaction with full and partial beta-adrenoceptor agonists in the rat colon stripB Ek
Department of Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Hässle Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, Molndal, Sweden
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 337:140-5. 1988..03 and 0.3 mumol/l) and bethanechol (1.3 and 30 mumol/l)...
- Acute exposure to methylmercury causes Ca2+ dysregulation and neuronal death in rat cerebellar granule cells through an M3 muscarinic receptor-linked pathwayTobi L Limke
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Institute for Environmental Toxicology, and Neuroscience Program, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 80:60-8. 2004..thapsigargin or down-regulation of muscarinic receptors and inositol-1,3,4-triphosphate (IP3) receptors with bethanechol (BCh) caused similar reductions in the amplitude of the MeHg-induced Ca2+ increase, suggesting that MeHg ..
- Differential effects of Na+, K(+)-ATPase inhibition by ouabain on acid secretory responses to histamine and bethanechol in the mouse isolated stomachS Horie
Department of Drug Evaluation and Toxicological Sciences, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Br J Pharmacol 112:87-92. 1994..On the other hand, ouabain caused a rapid reduction of bethanechol-stimulated acid secretion without an enhancement phase. 3...
- Central muscarinic involvement in cardiovascular control in sinoaortic-denervated ratsC A Taira
Catedra de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, UBA, Argentina
Eur J Pharmacol 159:265-72. 1989..Neostigmine (0.01-1 micrograms) and bethanechol (0.125-2 micrograms), injected intracerebroventricularly (i.c.v...
- In vivo inhibition of gastric acid secretion by the aqueous extract of Scoparia dulcis L. in rodentsSonia Mesia-Vela
Natural Products Section, Department of Pharmacology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, 04044 020 Rua 03 de Maio 100, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 111:403-8. 2007..The AE also inhibited the histamine- or bethanechol-stimulated gastric secretion in pylorus-ligated mice with similar potency suggesting inhibition of the proton ..
- Determination of gastric emptying in nonobese diabetic miceKyoung Moo Choi
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G1039-45. 2007..The (13)C breath test produced results similar to postmortem recovery of a meal. Bethanechol accelerated gastric emptying [control: 92 +/- 9 min; bethanechol: 53 +/- 3 min, mean half emptying time (T(1/2))..
- Differences in the antisecretory actions of the proton pump inhibitor AG-1749 (lansoprazole) and the histamine H2-receptor antagonist famotidine in rats and dogsH Nagaya
Biology Research Laboratories, Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 55:425-36. 1991..In pylorus-ligated rats, AG-1749 suppressed basal acid secretion, histamine-, bethanechol-, pentagastrin-, 2-deoxy-D-glucose- and stress (restraint and water-immersion)-induced acid secretion; ID50 ..
- Pre- and postjunctional effects of N-ethylmaleimide in the isolated mouse vas deferensM Kaschube
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University Lubeck, F R G
Eur J Pharmacol 178:151-9. 1990The influence of N-ethylmaleimide (NEM) on contractions due to exogenously applied noradrenaline and bethanechol and on the inhibitory effects of clonidine, of the enkephalin derivative, FK 33-824, and 2-chloroadenosine (2-CLA) on field ..
- Regulation of glucagon-like peptide-1 synthesis and secretion in the GLUTag enteroendocrine cell lineP L Brubaker
Department of Physiology, Toronto Hospital, and Banting and Best Diabetes Center, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 139:4108-14. 1998..01 microM; P < 0.05). In tests of several neurotransmitters, only the cholinergic agonists carbachol and bethanechol stimulated peptide secretion in a dose-dependent fashion (by 2.3 +/- 0.5- and 1.7 +/- 0...
- Developmental aspects of bladder contractile function: sensitivity to extracellular calciumS A Zderic
Division of Urology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
Pharmacology 43:61-8. 1991The urinary bladders of 1-day and 1-week-old rabbits generate higher intravesical pressures in response to bethanechol and field stimulation than bladders isolated from mature 8-week-old rabbits...
- Route of Nutrition and Enteric Nervous System Effects on Innate Mucosal DefenseKenneth A Kudsk; Fiscal Year: 2013..We expect these studies will provide advances in our understanding of mucosal defenses and be highly relevant to critically injured and critically ill Veterans. ..
- Atypical Antipsychotics: Effects on Hepatic Glucose and Lipid Metabolism in HumanMichael R Rickels; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will determine the effect of the muscarinic agonist bethanechol on EGP prior to and following AAP administration...
- Gastroesophageal Antireflux MechanismsMICHAEL RAYMOND RUGGIERI; Fiscal Year: 2013..manipulation to inhibit the smooth muscle component (atropine) augment the smooth muscle component (bethanechol) or paralyze the skeletal muscle component (cisatracurium) of the GEJHPZ...
- EFFECT OF CASTRATION+/-ESTROGEN ON THE CORPUS CAVERNOSUMGregory Broderick; Fiscal Year: 1993..variety of autonomic agonists and antagonists including phentolamine, isoproterenol, methoxamine, propranolol, bethanechol, atropine and ATP...
- RECEPTOR/G-PROTEIN COUPLING IN ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEJohn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2001..g. bethanechol) or enhance the synaptic availability of acetylcholine (e.g. tacrine, arecept)...
- PRESYNAPTIC MECHANISMS IN THE INTESTINEJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is also anticipated that these studies will identify new targets for drugs that can be used to treat GI motility disorders. ..
- Experimental approaches to understanding the ENS and its disordersJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will help the attendees develop a network of professional contacts who can help the young investigator in the career development process. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation and actions of NO in the cardiac plexusJEAN HARDWICK; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, it will provide important information concerning the regulation and of NO in the control of cardiac function. ..
- CHOLINERGIC MECHANISMS OF REM SLEEP GENERATIONHELEN BAGHDOYAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..This application proposes novel experiments aiming to elucidate the role of mAChRs, ACH release, and cholinergically activated G proteins in the regulation of REM sleep. ..
- Hindbrain Actions of LeptinGerlinda E Hermann; Fiscal Year: 2011..Clearly, a better understanding of the control of energy expenditure should be crucial to the control of obesity and is of critical scientific, clinical and societal importance. ..
- CELL-SELECTIVE EXPRESSION OF FIBROTIC GENE PATHWAYSNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2008..We expect that our studies would lead to the detection of novel targets of antifibrotic therapy for penile and vascular diseases of considerable public health impact. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Thrombin and CNS: Gastric Dysfunction after Head TraumaGerlinda Hermann; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., via an R01 funding program). ..
- Physiology and genetics of food procurement in rodentsNeil Rowland; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed studies will be the first to address the issue of behavioral change induced by anorectics under such conditions of simulated economic costs. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION AND NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN AGINGNestor Gonzalez Cadavid; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Cue dependency with intravenous nutrients and nicotineNeil Rowland; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies may help to develop ways in conditioned preferences can be manipulated to prevent or treat certain addictive disorders, including overeating. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..