Genomes and Genes
Summary: A cell-cycle phase nonspecific alkylating antineoplastic agent. It is used in the treatment of brain tumors and various other malignant neoplasms. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p462) This substance may reasonably be anticipated to be a carcinogen according to the Fourth Annual Report on Carcinogens (NTP 85-002, 1985). (From Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- A phase 3 trial of local chemotherapy with biodegradable carmustine (BCNU) wafers (Gliadel wafers) in patients with primary malignant gliomaManfred Westphal
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Neuro Oncol 5:79-88. 2003..1% in the BCNU wafer-treated group vs. 1.7% in the placebo group). This study confirms that local chemotherapy with BCNU wafers is well tolerated and offers a survival benefit to patients with newly diagnosed malignant glioma...
- Carmustine-induced phosphatidylserine translocation in the erythrocyte membraneKashif Jilani
Department of Physiology, University of Tuebingen, Gmelinstr 5, Tuebingen D 72076, Germany
Toxins (Basel) 5:703-16. 2013The nitrosourea alkylating agent, carmustine, is used as chemotherapeutic drug in several malignancies. The substance triggers tumor cell apoptosis. Side effects of carmustine include myelotoxicity with anemia...
- Nordic MCL2 trial update: six-year follow-up after intensive immunochemotherapy for untreated mantle cell lymphoma followed by BEAM or BEAC + autologous stem-cell support: still very long survival but late relapses do occurChristian H Geisler
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Haematol 158:355-62. 2012..These results, although highly encouraging regarding the majority of the patients, underline the need of a risk-adapted treatment strategy for MCL. The study was registered at www.isrctn.org as ISRCTN 87866680...
- Phase II randomized study of dacarbazine, carmustine, cisplatin and tamoxifen versus dacarbazine alone in advanced melanoma patientsV Chiarion Sileni
Department of Medical Oncology, Padova Hospital, Azienda Ospedaliera, Italy
Melanoma Res 11:189-96. 2001..phase II trial was performed to define the activity and toxicity of the combination of dacarbazine (DTIC), carmustine (BCNU), cisplatin (DDP) and tamoxifen (DBDT regimen) versus DTIC alone in patients with metastatic melanoma...
- Phase III study comparing three cycles of infusional carmustine and cisplatin followed by radiation therapy with radiation therapy and concurrent carmustine in patients with newly diagnosed supratentorial glioblastoma multiforme: Eastern Cooperative OncolStuart A Grossman
1650 Orleans St, Room G93, The Sydney Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1485-91. 2003..Group-Southwest Oncology Group intergroup study was conducted to determine whether three 72-hour infusions of carmustine (BiCNU) and cisplatin administered monthly before external-beam radiotherapy would improve the survival of ..
- Self-protecting core-shell magnetic nanoparticles for targeted, traceable, long half-life delivery of BCNU to gliomasHung Wei Yang
Molecular Medicine Research Center, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hwa 1st Road, Kuei Shan, Tao Yuan 33302, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 32:6523-32. 2011..5 mg BCNU/kg carried by the nanocarrier versus 50 days for those that received 13.5 mg of free-BCNU). This improvement could enhance the potential of magnetic targeting therapy in clinical applications of cancer treatments...
- Efficient and stable MGMT-mediated selection of long-term repopulating stem cells in nonhuman primatesBrian C Beard
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2345-54. 2010..These nonhuman primate studies closely model a clinical setting and should have broad applications for HSC gene therapy targeting human diseases of malignant, genetic, and infectious nature, including HIV...
- Treatment of single brain metastasis with resection, intracavity carmustine polymer wafers, and radiation therapy is safe and provides excellent local controlMatthew G Ewend
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:3637-41. 2007To define the safety and efficacy of carmustine polymer wafers when added to a regimen of surgery and external beam radiotherapy for treatment of a single brain metastasis.
- Overall survival of newly diagnosed glioblastoma patients receiving carmustine wafers followed by radiation and concurrent temozolomide plus rotational multiagent chemotherapyMary Lou Affronti
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, and The Preston Robert Tisch Brain Tumor Center, South Hospital, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Cancer 115:3501-11. 2009Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), the most lethal type of brain tumor, has a 1-year median survival. The effect of carmustine wafers on the survival of newly diagnosed GBM patients treated with radiotherapy (RT) and concurrent temozolomide (..
- Effect of protein S-glutathionylation on Ca2+ homeostasis in cultured aortic endothelial cellsJeffrey T Lock
Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, MetroHealth Medical Center, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 2500 MetroHealth Dr, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 300:H493-506. 2011....
- Metallothionein induction reduces caspase-3 activity and TNFalpha levels with preservation of cognitive function and intact hippocampal neurons in carmustine-treated ratsGouda K Helal
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2:26-35. 2009..The present study aimed to explore the effect of MT induction on carmustine (BCNU)-induced hippocampal cognitive dysfunction in rats...
- Inhibition of human brain malignant glioblastoma cells using carmustine-loaded catanionic solid lipid nanoparticles with surface anti-epithelial growth factor receptorYung Chih Kuo
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Chung Cheng University, Chia yi 62102, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 32:3340-50. 2011Innovated catanionic solid lipid nanoparticles (CASLNs) carrying carmustine (BCNU) (BCNU-CASLNs) were grafted with anti-epithelial growth factor receptor (EGFR) (anti-EGFR/BCNU-CASLNs) and applied to inhibiting the propagation of human ..
- Prognostic impact of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase silencing in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who undergo surgery and carmustine wafer implantation: a prospective patient cohortPhilippe Metellus
Department of Neurosurgery, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Cancer 115:4783-94. 2009..In this study, the authors evaluated the prognostic value of different biomarkers in recurrent GBM and analyzed the changes in MGMT status between primary tumors and recurrent tumors...
- Phase III trial of carmustine and cisplatin compared with carmustine alone and standard radiation therapy or accelerated radiation therapy in patients with glioblastoma multiforme: North Central Cancer Treatment Group 93-72-52 and Southwest Oncology GroupJan C Buckner
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3871-9. 2006In patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme, to determine whether cisplatin plus carmustine (BCNU) administered before and concurrently with radiation therapy (RT) improves survival compared with BCNU and RT and whether ..
- Biodegradable carmustine wafers (Gliadel) alone or in combination with chemoradiotherapy: the French experiencePhilippe Menei
Departement de Neurochirurgie, Inserm U646, CHU d Angers, Angers, France
Ann Surg Oncol 17:1740-6. 2010b>Carmustine-releasing wafers (Gliadel have been available and reimbursed in France since 2005.
- Phase I trial of polifeprosan 20 with carmustine implant plus continuous infusion of intravenous O6-benzylguanine in adults with recurrent malignant glioma: new approaches to brain tumor therapy CNS consortium trialJon Weingart
New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapy CNS Consortium, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:399-404. 2007..AGT) levels in brain tumors, (2) evaluate the safety of extending continuous-infusion O6-BG at the optimal dose with intracranially implanted carmustine wafers, and (3) measure the pharmacokinetics of O6-BG and its metabolite.
- Prospective randomized trial of melphalan and prednisone versus vincristine, carmustine, melphalan, cyclophosphamide, and prednisone in the treatment of primary systemic amyloidosisM A Gertz
Division of Hematology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:262-7. 1999..We investigated whether treatment with multiple alkylating agents improved the response rate or survival time, compared with melphalan and prednisone therapy...
- Phase I trial of high dose paracetamol and carmustine in patients with metastatic melanomaJedd D Wolchok
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Melanoma Res 13:189-96. 2003..We conducted a phase I trial of high dose paracetamol and carmustine (BCNU) in patients with advanced malignant melanoma to determine the optimal biological dose and the maximum ..
- Final analysis of the UKLG LY02 trial comparing 6-8 cycles of CHOP with 3 cycles of CHOP followed by a BEAM autograft in patients <65 years with poor prognosis histologically aggressive NHLDavid C Linch
NCRI UK Lymphoma Group, CRUK and UCL Cancer Trials Centre UCL, London, UK
Br J Haematol 149:237-43. 2010..at the time of diagnosis with 223 assigned to continuing CHOP and 234 to 3 cycles of CHOP followed by a BEAM (carmustine, etoposide, cytarabine, melphalan) autograft. Analysis was on an intention to treat basis...
- Randomized phase II trial of erlotinib versus temozolomide or carmustine in recurrent glioblastoma: EORTC brain tumor group study 26034Martin J van den Bent
Neuro Oncology Unit, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, PO Box 5201, 3008AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 27:1268-74. 2009..In approximately 25% of instances, constitutively activated EGFR mutants are present. These observations make EGFR-inhibiting drugs a logical approach for trials in recurrent GBM...
- Randomized comparison of stereotactic radiosurgery followed by conventional radiotherapy with carmustine to conventional radiotherapy with carmustine for patients with glioblastoma multiforme: report of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 93-05 protocolLuis Souhami
Department of Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:853-60. 2004..We investigated the effect of stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) added to conventional external beam radiation therapy (EBRT) with carmustine (BCNU) on the survival of patients with GBM.
- O(6) -methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylation and low MGMT-encoded protein expression as prognostic markers in glioblastoma patients treated with biodegradable carmustine wafer implants after initial surgery followed by radiotherapEmmanuèle Lechapt-Zalcman
Department of Pathology, Caen University Hospital, Caen, France
Cancer 118:4545-54. 2012..However, the prognostic impact of MGMT in patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma who receive carmustine-releasing wafers (Gliadel) along with temozolomide (TMZ) is still unknown.
- Carmustine wafer implantation when surgical cavity is communicating with cerebral ventricles: technical considerations on a clinical seriesAlessandro Della Puppa
Department of Neurosurgery, Padua University Hospital, Padova, Italy
World Neurosurg 76:156-9; discussion 67-8. 2011Implantation of carmustine (1,3-bis (2 chloroetyl)-1-nitrosurea [BCNU]) wafers is an approved local treatment after surgical removal of high-grade gliomas. Safety data have been largely reported by phase III studies...
- Carmustine, vincristine, and prednisone in the treatment of canine lymphosarcomaSílvia Regina Ricci Lucas
Faculdade de Medicina, Veterinária e Zootecnia, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 40:292-9. 2004A chemotherapeutic protocol using carmustine in combination with vincristine and prednisone was tested in dogs with multicentric malignant lymphosarcoma. Of seven dogs treated, six (85.7%) achieved complete remission...
- Fatal outcome related to carmustine implants in glioblastoma multiformeJ M Gallego
Servicio de Neurocirugia, Consorcio Hospital General Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 149:261-5; discussion 265. 2007Following the resection of newly diagnosed or recurrent glioblastomas, local implantation of carmustine-impregnated biodegradable wafers (Gliadel) in the resection cavity constitutes an adjuvant therapy that can improve the possibilities ..
- Quinacrine enhances carmustine therapy of experimental rat gliomaS Reyes
Neuroimmunology Unit, , Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, 14269 Mexico City, Mexico
Neurosurgery 49:969-73. 2001..We investigated whether quinacrine could improve carmustine therapy in C6 cell cultures and in C6 malignant gliomas implanted subcutaneously into Wistar rats...
- Sensitization of pancreatic tumor xenografts to carmustine and temozolomide by inactivation of their O6-Methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase with O6-benzylguanine or O6-benzyl-2'-deoxyguanosineDemetrius M Kokkinakis
Department of Pathology and the Cancer Institute, The University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:3801-7. 2003..The effect of MGMT inactivation on the resistance of pancreatic tumors to carmustine (BCNU) and to temozolomide (TMZ) was examined in five human pancreatic tumor xenografts in athymic mice...
- Intensive salvage therapy with high-dose chemotherapy for patients with advanced Hodgkin's disease in relapse or failure after initial chemotherapy: results of the Groupe d'Etudes des Lymphomes de l'Adulte H89 TrialChristophe Ferme
Groupe d Etudes des Lymphomes de l Adulte, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 20:467-75. 2002....
- Protective effect of N-acetylcysteine against carmustine-induced myelotoxicity in ratsEl Sayed M El-Sayed
Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1576-80. 2010b>Carmustine (BCNU) is used to treat a variety of tumors, in particular gliomas. However, the success of such treatment is limited by severe myelosuppression...
- Does high-dose carmustine increase overall survival in supratentorial high-grade malignant glioma? An EBMT retrospective studyJacques Olivier Bay
Unité de transplantation médullaire et département de radiothérapie, Centre Jean Perrin, Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Cancer 120:1782-6. 2007..However, prognosis remains poor. High-doses chemotherapy with carmustine is another way to improve response and survival by increasing the dose delivered...
- Initial experience involving treatment and retreatment with carmustine wafers in combination with oral temozolomide: long-term survival in a child with relapsed glioblastoma multiformeJavier Márquez-Rivas
Department of Neurosurgery, Virgen del Rocio University Hospitals, Sevilla, Spain
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 32:e202-6. 2010..Glioblastomas occur infrequently in children, and the prognosis is better than for glioblastomas seen in adults. Aggressive treatment is justified in pediatric patients...
- Role of convective flow in carmustine delivery to a brain tumorDavis Yohanes Arifin
Molecular Engineering of Biological and Chemical Systems MEBCS, Singapore MIT Alliance, 4 Engineering Drive 3, Singapore, 117576, Singapore
Pharm Res 26:2289-302. 2009This paper presents a three-dimensional patient-specific simulation of carmustine delivery to brain tumor. The simulation investigates several crucial factors, particularly the role of convective flow, affecting drug delivery efficacy.
- Gliadel therapy given for first resection of malignant glioma: a single centre study of the potential use of GliadelI R Whittle
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:352-4. 2003..If the future use of Gliadel is limited to the eligibility criteria used in the phase III trial about 20% (95% confidence intervals 13-34%) of patients with newly diagnosed malignant glioma will receive this therapy...
- Cotreatment with a novel phosphoinositide analogue inhibitor and carmustine enhances chemotherapeutic efficacy by attenuating AKT activity in gliomasTimothy E Van Meter
Department of Neurosurgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Richmond, Virginia 23230, USA
Cancer 107:2446-54. 2006..Selective targeting of AKT, therefore, may increase chemosensitivity. Recently, a novel class of AKT-selective inhibitors has been described, including SH-6, a phosphatidylinositol analogue...
- The sequential use of carmustine wafers (Gliadel®) and post-operative radiotherapy with concomitant temozolomide followed by adjuvant temozolomide: a clinical reviewSanjay Dixit
Department of Oncology, Castle Hill Hospital, Hull, UK
Br J Neurosurg 25:459-69. 2011....
- Buthionine sulfoximine induction of gamma-L-glutamyl-L-cysteine synthetase gene expression, kinetics of glutathione depletion and resynthesis, and modulation of carmustine-induced DNA-DNA cross-linking and cytotoxicity in human glioma cellsF Ali-Osman
Department of Experimental Pediatrics, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Mol Pharmacol 49:1012-20. 1996..The data also suggest that by preventing GSH resynthesis, a greater level of cytotoxicity is achieved with continuous BSO exposure than with BSO preexposure alone...
- The efficacy of carmustine wafers for older patients with glioblastoma multiforme: prolonging survivalKaisorn L Chaichana
Department of Neurosurgery, The Johns Hopkins Neuro Oncology Surgical Outcomes Research Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Neurol Res 33:759-64. 2011Peak incidence of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) occurs in individuals aged 65 years and older. The goal was to evaluate the efficacy of carmustine wafers in prolonging survival for older GBM patients.
- High-dose carmustine, etoposide, and cisplatin for autologous stem cell transplantation with or without involved-field radiation for relapsed/refractory lymphoma: an effective regimen with low morbidity and mortalityPunit D Wadhwa
Department of Medicine, Comprehensive Cancer Center of the University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:13-22. 2005..BEP with or without IFR is a highly effective and well-tolerated regimen in the relapsed/refractory lymphoma setting. It has low morbidity and transplant-related mortality and a low incidence (3%) of posttransplantation malignancy...
- Comparative analysis of temozolomide (TMZ) versus 1,3-bis (2-chloroethyl)-1 nitrosourea (BCNU) in newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) patientsMridula Vinjamuri
Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
J Neurooncol 91:221-5. 2009..Although TMZ replaced BCNU as the standard initial chemotherapy in the treatment of GBM, no studies have been reported comparing BCNU with TMZ. We therefore did a retrospective analysis comparing these agents as initial therapy in GBM...
- Carmustine-resistant cancer cells are sensitized to temozolomide as a result of enhanced mismatch repair during the development of carmustine resistanceTakahiro Yamauchi
Department of Hematology and Oncology, University of Fukui, 23 Shimoaizuki, Matsuoka, Eiheiji, Fukui 910 1193, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 74:82-91. 2008..MMR) triggered by O(6)-alkylguanine, whereas MMR protects cells against bifunctional alkylators, including carmustine (BCNU)...
- O6-Benzylguanine potentiates BCNU but not busulfan toxicity in hematopoietic stem cellsG R Westerhof
Department of Hematology, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Exp Hematol 29:633-8. 2001..CONCLUSION: These data suggest that BU does not elicit toxicity via alkylation at the O6 position of guanine in DNA in a way that can be influenced by ATase modulation...
- Retrospective comparison of chemoradiotherapy followed by adjuvant chemotherapy, with or without prior gliadel implantation (carmustine) after initial surgery in patients with newly diagnosed high-grade gliomasGeorges Noel
Radiation Oncology Department, Centre de Lutte Contre le Cancer Paul Strauss, Strasbourg, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:749-55. 2012Retrospective study of patients treated for high-grade glioma, with or without biodegradable carmustine wafers and according to the Stupp protocol.
- Co-delivery of adenovirus and carmustine by anionic liposomes with synergistic anti-tumor effectsZhirong Zhong
Luzhou Medical College, Luzhou, Sichuan, China, 646000
Pharm Res 29:145-57. 2012..To improve gene transducibility mediated by adenovirus (Ad) in cancer cells and further enhance anti-tumor effects by co-delivery...
- High-dose carmustine, etoposide, and cyclophosphamide followed by allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for non-Hodgkin lymphomaLisa Y Law
Division of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:703-11. 2006..irradiation and another not based on total body irradiation with preparative therapy using cyclophosphamide, carmustine, and etoposide (CBV) in autologous HCT...
- Dose escalation of carmustine in surgically implanted polymers in patients with recurrent malignant glioma: a New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapy CNS Consortium trialAlessandro Olivi
The New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapy CNS Consortium, 1650 Orleans St, Room G93, The Sydney Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:1845-9. 2003..Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapy CNS Consortium study sought to determine the maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) of carmustine (BCNU) that can be implanted in biodegradable polymers following resection of recurrent high-grade gliomas and ..
- Safety and efficacy of permanent iodine-125 seed implants and carmustine wafers in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiformeBorimir J Darakchiev
Department of Neurosurgery, The Neuroscience Institute, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0515, USA
J Neurosurg 108:236-42. 2008..Novel treatment approaches are needed. Localized adjunct treatment with carmustine (BCNU) wafers or permanent, low-activity 125I seed implants has been shown to be effective for GBM...
- Mini-BEAM is effective as a bridge to transplantation in patients with refractory or relapsed Hodgkin lymphoma who have failed to respond to previous lines of salvage chemotherapy but not in patients with salvage-refractory DLBCLSally Moore
Department of Haematology, University College Hospital, London, UK
Br J Haematol 157:543-52. 2012..Here we report on 39 such patients who received mini-BEAM (carmustine, etoposide, cytarabine, melphalan) chemotherapy as second or subsequent-line salvage chemotherapy...
- The chemopreventive effect of dimethylthiourea against carmustine-induced myelotoxicity in ratsEl Sayed M El-Sayed
Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
Food Chem Toxicol 49:1965-9. 2011The possible chemopreventive role of dimethylthiourea (DMTU) against carmustine (1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea, BCNU)-induced myelotoxicity was assessed through evaluation of apoptosis, lipid peroxidation, glutathione (GSH) content ..
- Interstitial docetaxel (taxotere), carmustine and combined interstitial therapy: a novel treatment for experimental malignant gliomaPrakash Sampath
Department of Clinical Neurosciences Program in Neurosurgery, Brown Medical School, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Neurooncol 80:9-17. 2006..Also, we examined the combined local delivery of docetaxel with carmustine (BCNU) against the experimental intracranial glioma...
- Prognostic factors and survival in a prospective cohort of patients with high-grade glioma treated with carmustine wafers or temozolomide on an intention-to-treat basisGregorio Catalán-Uribarrena
Cruces University Hospital, Baracaldo Vizcaya, Spain
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154:211-22; discussion 222. 2012Patients with high-grade glioma can be treated with carmustine wafers or following the Stupp protocol. As far as we are aware, no scientific evidence has been published comparing the two treatments...
- Safety and feasibility of the adjunct of local chemotherapy with biodegradable carmustine (BCNU) wafers to the standard multimodal approach to high grade gliomas at first diagnosisM Salvati
Department of Neurosurgery INM Neuromed IRCCS, Pozzilli, Isernia, Italy
J Neurosurg Sci 55:1-6. 2011....
- Ion dependence of cytotoxicity of carmustine against PC12 cellsNina Doroshenko
Ottawa Health Research Institute, 725 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4E9
Eur J Pharmacol 476:185-91. 2003Cytotoxicity is a major complication of carmustine (1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea, BCNU) therapy for treatment of brain tumors and lymphomas...
- In vitro pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea (BCNU)Hiroko Ueda-Kawamitsu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, 600 South 42nd Street, P O Box 986025, Omaha, NE 68198 6025, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 63:1209-18. 2002..Because of the disparity between the time-scale of PK and PD, focusing only on the early events may provide limited information about the process of anticancer drug-induced cell death...
- Risk management in the treatment of malignant gliomas with BCNU wafer implantsA Giese
Georg August University, Neurosurgery, Goettingen, Germany
Cent Eur Neurosurg 71:199-206. 2010..The growing body of experience with BCNU wafer implantation may serve as a basis to develop adequate risk management strategies with regard to patient selection, surgical techniques, and follow-up schedules...
- Gliadel (BCNU) wafer plus concomitant temozolomide therapy after primary resection of glioblastoma multiformeMatthew J McGirt
Departments of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Neurosurg 110:583-8. 2009..The authors reviewed their initial experience utilizing combined Gliadel, TMZ, and radiation therapy for the treatment of GBM...
- Gliadel wafer in initial surgery for malignant glioma: long-term follow-up of a multicenter controlled trialM Westphal
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:269-75; discussion 275. 2006..The only interstitial chemotherapy treatment approved for malignant glioma is Gliadel wafer containing carmustine (BCNU) placed in the resection cavity at surgery...
- Metallothionein attenuates carmustine-induced oxidative stress and protects against pulmonary fibrosis in ratsGouda Kamel Helal
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, P O Box 2457, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Arch Toxicol 83:87-94. 2009The present study was carried out to evaluate the effect of exogenously administered metallothionein (MT) against carmustine (BCNU)-induced lung toxicity in rats...
- Temozolomide in combination with BCNU before and after radiotherapy in patients with inoperable newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiformeM Barrie
Unité de Neuro Oncologie, Service de Neurochirurgie, CHU Timone, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, Service de Pharmacie, CHU Timone, Cedex France
Ann Oncol 16:1177-84. 2005The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of carmustine (BCNU) in combination with temozolomide as first-line chemotherapy before and after radiotherapy (RT) in patients with inoperable, newly diagnosed glioblastoma ..
- BCNU-loaded PEG-PLLA ultrafine fibers and their in vitro antitumor activity against Glioma C6 cellsXiuling Xu
State Key Laboratory of Polymer Physics and Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, China
J Control Release 114:307-16. 2006..These results strongly suggest that the BCNU/PEG-PLLA fibers have an effect of controlled release of BCNU and are suitable for postoperative chemotherapy of cancers...
- Combination of intracranial temozolomide with intracranial carmustine improves survival when compared with either treatment alone in a rodent glioma modelViolette Renard Recinos
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Neurosurgery 66:530-7; discussion 537. 2010..Local delivery of temozolomide (TMZ) through polymers is superior to oral administration in a rodent glioma model...
- Incidence of post transplant myelodysplasia/acute leukemia in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma patients compared with Hodgkin's disease patients undergoing autologous transplantation following cyclophosphamide, carmustine, and etoposide (CBV)C Wheeler
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Farber Cancer Institute, MA, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 40:499-509. 2001..patients with Hodgkin's disease (HD) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) were treated with cyclophosphamide, carmustine and etoposide and autologous stem cell support from 1986 through 1994. Median follow up of survivors is 3...
- First-line treatment of malignant glioma with carmustine implants followed by concomitant radiochemotherapy: a multicenter experienceHans Christoph Bock
Department of Neurosurgery, Center of Neurological Medicine, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 33:441-9. 2010..We have compiled the treatment experience of seven neurosurgical centers using implantation of carmustine wafers at primary surgery followed by 6 weeks of radiation therapy (59-60 Gy) and 75 mg/m(2)/day TMZ in patients ..
- Procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine (PCV) chemotherapy for anaplastic astrocytoma: A retrospective review of radiation therapy oncology group protocols comparing survival with carmustine or PCV adjuvant chemotherapyM D Prados
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0372, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:3389-95. 1999To determine any differences in outcome for patients with anaplastic astrocytoma (AA) treated with adjuvant carmustine (BCNU) versus procarbazine, lomustine, and vincristine (PCV) chemotherapy.
- The effectiveness of a magnetic nanoparticle-based delivery system for BCNU in the treatment of gliomasMu Yi Hua
Molecular Medicine Research Center, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, ROC
Biomaterials 32:516-27. 2011..This drug delivery system promises to provide more effective tumor treatment using lower therapeutic doses and potentially reducing the side effects of chemotherapy...
- Phase I study pilot arms of radiotherapy and carmustine with temozolomide for anaplastic astrocytoma (Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 9813): implications for studies testing initial treatment of brain tumorsSusan M Chang
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California San Francisco, School of Medicine, 400 Parnassus Avenue A808, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 59:1122-6. 2004To determine the safety and toxicity of carmustine (BCNU) and temozolomide (TMZ) with radiotherapy (RT) in newly diagnosed anaplastic astrocytoma.
- Carmustine wafers: localized delivery of chemotherapeutic agents in CNS malignanciesSteven H Lin
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 401 North Broadway, Suite 1440, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 8:343-59. 2008..To meaningfully increase survival, a trimodality approach of surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy is needed. Carmustine (1,3-bis (2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea) is a nitrosourea alkylating agent that exerts its antitumor effect by ..
- Lack of survival benefit after stereotactic radiosurgery boost for glioblastoma multiforme: randomized comparison of stereotactic radiosurgery followed by conventional radiotherapy with carmustine to conventional radiotherapy with carmustine for patients Dirk Vordermark
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 62:296-7; author reply 297. 2005
- Methylguanine methyltransferase-mediated in vivo selection and chemoprotection of allogeneic stem cells in a large-animal modelTobias Neff
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
J Clin Invest 112:1581-8. 2003....
- Phase II study of neoadjuvant 1, 3-bis (2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea and temozolomide for newly diagnosed anaplastic glioma: a North American Brain Tumor Consortium TrialSusan M Chang
Department of Neurological Surgery, Neuro Oncology Service, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Cancer 100:1712-6. 2004..The objective of the current study was to determine the efficacy and toxicity profile of a combination of these agents before radiotherapy in newly diagnosed AG...
- O6-benzylguanine-mediated enhancement of chemotherapyHenry S Friedman
Departments of Surgery, Pathology and Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Room 047, Baker House, Trent Drive, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:943-8. 2002..These results suggest that a Phase I trial of CPT-11 plus temozolomide plus O6-BG in AGT-positive tumors may be an important intervention to maximize the therapeutic benefits of the combination of CPT-11 and temozolomide...
- Effects on Walker 256 tumour of carmustine associated with a cholesterol-rich microemulsion (LDE)Raquel S Teixeira
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, the Heart Institute InCor of the Medical School Hospital São Paulo, Brazil
J Pharm Pharmacol 56:909-14. 2004..LDE can thus serve as a vehicle for drug targeting. It was shown that carmustine side effects are pronouncedly reduced when the drug is associated with LDE in cancer patients...
- In vivo selection and chemoprotection after drug resistance gene therapy in a nonmyeloablative allogeneic transplantation setting in dogsSabine Gerull
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Hum Gene Ther 18:451-6. 2007..Furthermore, the transduced cells conferred chemoprotection and prevented severe neutropenia. Our results suggest that drug resistance gene therapy is feasible and safe in the nonmyeloablative transplantation setting...
- Accumulation of glutathione disulfide mediates NF-kappaB activation during immune stimulation with CpG DNAJeffrey D Kirsch
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 12:327-40. 2002..These data suggest the existence of a second CpG-induced intracellular signal, independent of GSSG, mediating the activation of innate immunity by bacterial DNA...
- Phase I clinical and pharmacological study of O6-benzylguanine followed by carmustine in patients with advanced cancerR L Schilsky
Department of Medicine, Cancer Research Center and Committee on Clinical Pharmacology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Clin Cancer Res 6:3025-31. 2000..optimal modulatory dose and associated toxicities of benzylguanine administered alone and in combination with carmustine; to define the maximally tolerated dose and associated toxicities of carmustine administered with benzylguanine ..
- Inhibition of glutathione-related enzymes augments LPS-mediated cytokine biosynthesis: involvement of an IkappaB/NF-kappaB-sensitive pathway in the alveolar epitheliumJohn J Haddad
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California at San Francisco, School of Medicine, 94143 0542, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 2:1567-83. 2002....
- Safety profile of carmustine wafers in malignant glioma: a review of controlled trials and a decade of clinical experienceMichael Sabel
Department of Neurosurgery, Heinrich Heine University of Dusseldorf, Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 24:3239-57. 2008b>Carmustine (1,3-bis [2-chloroethyl]-1-nitrosourea, or BCNU) wafers are approved for recurrent glioblastoma and newly diagnosed malignant glioma (MG)...
- Chemoimmunohormonal therapy with carmustine, dacarbazine, cisplatin, tamoxifen, and interferon for metastatic melanoma: a prospective phase II studyMoshe E Stein
Department of Oncology, Rambam Medical Center, P O B 9602, Haifa 31096, Israel
Am J Clin Oncol 25:460-3. 2002..Thirty patients entered the study after undergoing a thorough metastatic workup. Treatment protocol included carmustine (BCNU) (150 mg/m(2) IV, day 1) every 6 weeks, dacarbazine (DTIC) (220 mg/m(2) IV, days 1-3), and cisplatin (25 ..
- Phase II trial of carmustine plus O(6)-benzylguanine for patients with nitrosourea-resistant recurrent or progressive malignant gliomaJennifer A Quinn
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:2277-83. 2002We conducted a phase II trial of carmustine (BCNU) plus the O(6)-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase inhibitor O(6)-benzylguanine (O(6)-BG) to define the activity and toxicity of this regimen in the treatment of adults with progressive or ..
- A phase III study of radiation therapy plus carmustine with or without recombinant interferon-alpha in the treatment of patients with newly diagnosed high-grade gliomaJ C Buckner
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Cancer 92:420-33. 2001..study was conducted to determine whether the addition of interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) to treatment with radiation therapy and carmustine (BCNU) improves time to disease progression or overall survival in patients with high-grade glioma.
- Phase I trial of carmustine plus O6-benzylguanine for patients with recurrent or progressive malignant gliomaH S Friedman
Departments of Surgery, Medicine, Pathology, Radiology, and Community and Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 18:3522-8. 2000..We conducted a phase I trial of carmustine (BCNU) plus O(6)-BG to define the toxicity and maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) of BCNU in conjunction with the ..
- A randomized phase III study comparing dacarbazine, BCNU, cisplatin and tamoxifen with dacarbazine and interferon in advanced melanomaM R Middleton
CRC Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK
Br J Cancer 82:1158-62. 2000..75 days/treatment cycle vs 2.29 with dacarbazine and interferon). DBCT combination therapy cannot be recommended as standard treatment for advanced melanoma. Dacarbazine remains the standard chemotherapy for this condition...
- Second-line chemotherapy with irinotecan plus carmustine in glioblastoma recurrent or progressive after first-line temozolomide chemotherapy: a phase II study of the Gruppo Italiano Cooperativo di Neuro-Oncologia (GICNO)Alba A Brandes
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Clin Oncol 22:4779-86. 2004..The aim of the present multicenter phase II trial, therefore, was to ascertain the efficacy of second-line carmustine (BCNU) and irinotecan chemotherapy.
- Association of carmustine with a lipid emulsion: in vitro, in vivo and preliminary studies in cancer patientsRaul C Maranhão
The Heart Institute of the Medical School Hospital, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 49:487-98. 2002..In this study, the potential of LDE as a carrier for anticancer drugs was investigated...
- A retrospective study of the safety of BCNU wafers with concurrent temozolomide and radiotherapy and adjuvant temozolomide for newly diagnosed glioblastoma patientsEdward Pan
Neuro Oncology Division, Moffitt Cancer Center, 12902 Magnolia Drive, MCC NEUROPROG, Tampa, FL 33612 9416, USA
J Neurooncol 88:353-7. 2008..The efficacy and safety of carmustine (BCNU) wafers followed by radiotherapy have been demonstrated in patients with malignant glioma...
- Pharmacokinetics of the carmustine implantAlison B Fleming
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 41:403-19. 2002Controlled release delivery of carmustine from biodegradable polymer wafers was approved as an adjunct to surgical resection in the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme after it was shown in clinical trials to be well tolerated ..
- Semichronic inhibition of glutathione reductase promotes oxidative damage to proteins and induces both transcription and translation of tyrosine hydroxylase in the nigrostriatal systemMarina Romero-Ramos
Departamento de Bioquimica, Bromatologia, Toxicologia y Medicina Legal, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, C Profesor García GonzAlez s n 41012 Sevilla, Spain
Free Radic Res 37:1003-12. 2003..All these results support the DA free radical hypothesis and the key role of the striatal glutathione system in protecting the striatal system against oxidative stress...
- Temozolomide and carmustine cause large-scale heterochromatin reorganization in glioma cellsRoberto Papait
Dialectica s r l V le Pasteur 10, 20014 Nerviano, Milan, Italy
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 379:434-9. 2009Temozolomide (TMZ) and carmustine (BCNU), cancer-drugs usually used in the treatment of gliomas, are DNA-methylating agents producing O6-methylguanine...
- Synergistic cytotoxicity of the ribonucleotide reductase inhibitor didox (3,4-dihydroxy-benzohydroxamic acid) and the alkylating agent carmustine (BCNU) in 9L rat gliosarcoma cells and DAOY human medulloblastoma cellsZsuzsanna Horvath
General Hospital of Vienna, Clinical Institute of Medical and Chemical Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University of Vienna, 5H Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090, Austria
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 54:139-45. 2004....
- Pattern of recurrence following local chemotherapy with biodegradable carmustine (BCNU) implants in patients with glioblastomaAlf Giese
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lubeck, Lubeck, Germany
J Neurooncol 66:351-60. 2004Recently a randomized placebo-controlled phase III trial of biodegradable polymers containing carmustine has demonstrated a significant survival benefit for patients treated with local chemotherapy...
- Randomized phase II trial of BCDT [carmustine (BCNU), cisplatin, dacarbazine (DTIC) and tamoxifen] with or without interferon alpha (IFN-alpha) and interleukin (IL-2) in patients with metastatic melanomaS R Johnston
The Melanoma Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Br J Cancer 77:1280-6. 1998....
- Phase I study of Gliadel wafers plus temozolomide in adults with recurrent supratentorial high-grade gliomasS Gururangan
Department of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuro Oncol 3:246-50. 2001..Our study demonstrates that TEMO can be given safely after placement of Gliadel (3.85%) wafers. The recommended dosage for TEMO for a phase II study of this combination is 200 mg/m2 per day for 5 days...
- Synergistic effect of genistein and BCNU on growth inhibition and cytotoxicity of glioblastoma cellsSami Khoshyomn
Department of Surgery, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington 05401, USA
J Neurooncol 57:193-200. 2002..at a concentration typical of plasma levels following soy diet intake, in combination with 1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea (BCNU, carmustine) exhibited an additive or synergistic inhibitory effect on the growth of glioma cells.
- Acute depletion of reduced glutathione causes extensive carbonylation of rat brain proteinsOscar A Bizzozero
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131 5218, USA
J Neurosci Res 83:656-67. 2006..Our observations may be important in the context of multiple sclerosis where decreased GSH, mitochondrial dysfunction, excessive production of ROS, and increased protein carbonylation have all been reported...
- The glutathione reductase inhibitor carmustine induces an influx of Ca2+ in PC12 cellsNina Doroshenko
Ottawa Health Research Institute, 725 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4E9, Canada
Eur J Pharmacol 497:17-24. 2004We studied the effects of carmustine (1,3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea) on the intracellular Ca(2+) concentration ([Ca(2+)](i)) in PC12 cells using fura-2 fluorescence imaging...
- Phase III clinical trial of the combination of cisplatin, dacarbazine, and carmustine with or without tamoxifen in patients with advanced malignant melanomaE T Creagan
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, and Duluth Community Clinical Oncology Program, Duluth, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 17:1884-90. 1999..whether the addition of tamoxifen (TAM) to the three-agent regimen of cisplatin (CDDP), dacarbazine (DTIC), and carmustine (BCNU) significantly increased the progression-free survival and overall survival of patients with advanced ..
- Phase II trial of thalidomide and carmustine for patients with recurrent high-grade gliomasHoward A Fine
Neuro Oncology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, MSC 1911, Building 10, Room 12S245, Bethesda, MD 20892 1911, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2299-304. 2003..synergistic antitumor activity when antiangiogenic agents are combined with cytotoxic agents, we explored the clinical activity of the combination of thalidomide and carmustine (BCNU) in patients with recurrent high-grade gliomas.
- How effective is BCNU in recurrent glioblastoma in the modern era? A phase II trialA A Brandes
Department of Medical Oncology, Azienda Ospedale Universita, Ospedale Busonera, Via Gattamelata 64, 35100 Padova, Italy
Neurology 63:1281-4. 2004..These drugs remain the standard chemotherapy for glioblastoma. However, because the criteria used to evaluate the activity of nitrosoureas in a neuro-oncologic setting have changed, new data on their activity are needed...
- Phase II trial of carmustine, cisplatin, and oral etoposide chemotherapy before radiotherapy for grade 3 astrocytoma (anaplastic astrocytoma): results of North Central Cancer Treatment Group trial 98-72-51Ravi D Rao
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905 USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 61:380-6. 2005To evaluate the efficacy of preradiotherapy (RT) chemotherapy with carmustine, cisplatin, and oral etoposide combined with RT in the treatment of newly diagnosed anaplastic astrocytoma.
- The Brain Tumor Cooperative Group NIH Trial 87-01: a randomized comparison of surgery, external radiotherapy, and carmustine versus surgery, interstitial radiotherapy boost, external radiation therapy, and carmustineRobert G Selker
Neurosurgery 51:343-55; discussion 355-7. 2002..The objective of the Brain Tumor Cooperative Group NIH Trial 87-01 trial was to investigate the effect of additional implanted radiation therapy in newly diagnosed patients with pathologically confirmed malignant gliomas...
- Risk and outcome in metastatic malignant melanoma patients receiving DTIC, cisplatin, BCNU and tamoxifen followed by immunotherapy with interleukin 2 and interferon alpha2aR Hoffmann
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Germany
Br J Cancer 78:1076-80. 1998..Pretreatment risk, as defined by serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and performance status, has a significant impact on treatment outcome and patient survival...
- Association of high-dose cyclophosphamide, cisplatin, and carmustine pharmacokinetics with survival, toxicity, and dosing weight in patients with primary breast cancerWilliam P Petros
Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:698-705. 2002..regimen consisting of: cyclophosphamide (1875 mg/m(2) once daily x 3), cisplatin (165 mg/m(2) given over 72 h), carmustine (600 mg/m(2)), and stem cell transplantation...
- Nebraska/Kansas Blood and Marrow Transplant Research NetworkJULIE MARIE VOSE; Fiscal Year: 2013..a phase III randomized clinical trial for patients with relapsed diffuse large B-cell lymphoma using Rituximab/Carmustine, Etoposide, Cytarabine, and Melphalan (R-BEAM) or Bexxar/BEAM + autologous HSCT as the control and R-BEAM or ..
- In vivo imaging of encapsulated stem cells in mouse models of tumor resectionKhalid A Shah; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical benefit, systemically delivered chemotherapeutic agents or direct injection of viruses and placement of carmustine (BCNU) wafers in tumor resection cavities has provided very limited additional benefit...
- Amelioration of Vesicant-Induced Skin Injury by High Dose 25-Hydroxyvitamin DKurt Lu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Direct cutaneous exposure to vesicants such as nitrogen mustard or nitrogen mustard-related nitrosoureas (BCNU (carmustine)) produce dose-dependent symptoms that are varied in onset, severity and duration of wound healing...
- Synthesis, Structure and Repair of DNA Interstrand CrosslinksORLANDO D SCHARER; Fiscal Year: 2013..A number of clinically important antitumor agents such as cisplatin, cyclophosphamide (a nitrogen mustard) or carmustine (BCNU, a chloro ethyl nitroso urea) form DNA interstrand crosslinks (ICLs) as key cytotoxic lesions...
- Hypoxia-Activated O6-Benzylguanine ProdrugsALAN CLAYTON SARTORELLI; Fiscal Year: 2012..cloretazine), an agent designed and synthesized in our laboratory, currently in late stage clinical trial;carmustine (BCNU) and temozolomide (TMZ), an FDA approved clinically used nitrosourea and methylating agent, respectively, ..
- Novel anti-melanoma agents and their mechanism of actionHarish Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Even combination therapy such as the Dartmouth regimen, which combines dacarbazine with carmustine, cisplatin, and tamoxifen, achieves a response rate of only 40% (Nathan et al., 2000)...
- MECHANISMS OF ENHANCEMENT OF MELPHALAN CYTOTOXICITYThomas Guenthner; Fiscal Year: 1993..mustard, LPAM) to human melanoma cells is enhanced by the coadministration of two agents, doxorubicin (DOX) and carmustine (BCNU) ...
- SUSTAINED-RELEASE CHEMOTHERAPY FOR OCULAR MALIGNANCYHSIAO SU LIU; Fiscal Year: 1980..the effectiveness of nitrosourea compounds, particularly the lipophilic 1, 3-bis(2-chloroethyl)-1-nitrosourea (carmustine, BCNU), against a rabbit model of uveal Greene melanoma...
- Prognostic Modeling of High-Risk Primary Breast CancerYago Nieto; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Phase II Study of 44Gy from 131I-81C6 for CNS TumorsDavid Reardon; Fiscal Year: 2004..To further define the toxicity of this approach and Specific Aim 3.To determine the impact of this therapy on quality of life. ..
- NABTC Member Intitution Grant (UCSF Project Leader)Susan Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall goal of this program is to more effectively treat patients with primary brain tumors, especially malignant glioma, with the purpose of increasing the duration and quality of survival. ..
- Antioxidant Functions of Lipoic AcidJames May; Fiscal Year: 2004..Despite the widespread use of lipoic acid, these studies are necessary to establish the biological basis and rationale for the clinical use of the agent. ..
- Antioxidant vitamins in models of Alzheimer's DiseaseJames May; Fiscal Year: 2008..If antioxidant vitamins ameliorate toxicity in cell and animal models of Alzheimer's disease, then oxidant stress is involved in disease progression, and antioxidant vitamin supplements may be beneficial. ..
- Therapy of Temodar plus O6-Benzylguanine in Malignant G*Jennifer Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- AGT DEPLETION FOR THERAPY OF CNS TUMORSJennifer Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Antioxidant Interaction of Selenium and Vitamins C & EJames May; Fiscal Year: 2008..Using this approach, it will be possible to relate the crucial, mitochondrial functions of selenium and vitamins C and E to the antioxidant defenses of the whole animal. ..
- GVHD and Relapse:Ex-Vivo Expanded Allogeneic TherapySally Arai; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Monoclonal Antibody Therapy for Follicular LymphomaJonathan Friedberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- CFTR: Probing the Gating Related Movements in the PoreXuehong Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- MGMT-Mediated in vivo Selection in a Large Animal ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will provide a platform for studies using gene-modified allogeneic stem cells to improve nonmyeloablative transplant strategies. ..
- Therapeutic Studies of Primary CNS Malignancies-NABTTGene Barnett; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Ap endo as a predictor of response to glioma therapyJOHN SILBER; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ethnic Differences in Survival after Childhood ALLSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- INVESTIGATIONS OF MAMMALIAN AMINOPROPYLTRANSFERASESANTHONY PEGG; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- T Cell Responsiveness and Homeostasis in Anti-TumorThomas F Gajewski; Fiscal Year: 2010..T cell transduction and tumor transfectants will be examined using factors identified to be useful from the TCR Tg model and mechanisms of improved tumor control will be dissected. ..
- Glutaredoxin, Macrophage Death and AtherosclerosisRETO H R ASMIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies will test this hypothesis and examine possible molecular mechanisms of Grx-mediated protection of macrophages from mitochondrial dysfunction and cell death. ..
- Gene therapy for Fanconi anemiaHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our ultimate goal is to improve or cure the hematopoietic symptoms in FA patients by lentivirus-mediated HSC gene transfer, and develop methodologies that would be applicable to other genetic disorders and hematological diseases. ..
- Cord Blood Expansion and Transplantation in a Nonhuman Primate ModelHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Ape1, oxidative stress and glioma alkylator resistanceJOHN SILBER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Evidence for a contribution of Ap endo to resistance would identify a new target for anti-resistance strategies directed against Ape1/Ref-1 (the major human Ap endo), either alone or together with MGMT. ..
- UROLITHIASIS AND PEROXIDATIVE INJURYSivagnanam Thamilselvan; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will provide valuable information on the importance of antioxidants and, whether antioxidants offer promise as a therapeutic agent for recurrent stone formers. ..
- Temodar Resistance in CNS TumorsHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- NABTC CENTRAL OPERATION GRANT (UCSF PROJECT LEADER)Michael Prados; Fiscal Year: 2008..The NABTC will treat patients using novel therapeutic agents with the ultimate goal to increase quality, and hopefully, overall survival in this patient population. ..
- OXIDATIVE EVENTS IN CANCER THERAPYLarry Oberley; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Molecular Dissection of T Cell AnergyThomas Gajewski; Fiscal Year: 2005..Ultimately, a complete understanding of the anergic state on the molecular level should guide the development of novel pharmacologic therapies to promote or reverse peripheral tolerance in vivo. ..
- LONG-TERM OUTCOME OF BLOOD AND MARROW TRANSPLANTATIONJ Rizzo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PEDIATRIC BRAIN TUMOR CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT (BMT) SURVIVORS STUDYSmita Bhatia; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., second cancers, births, cardiac complications, etc.) that may have occurred since the completion of the initial questionnaire. ..
- ZD1839 Therapy of Glioblastoma MultiformeHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- COMBATING ALKYLATING AGENT RESISTANCE IN HUMAN GLIOMASJOHN SILBER; Fiscal Year: 2002..In an effort to define the role of 3-MAG in clinical drug resistance, enzyme levels will be correlated with response to alkylator adjuvant therapy and clinical course. ..
- NITRIC OXIDE, PLP ACYLATION & THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MSOSCAR BIZZOZERO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- GI BARRIER HEAT INJURY--SYSTEMIC & MOLECULAR MECHANISMSLarry Oberley; Fiscal Year: 2002..2. HSP protection. Cells expressing elevated HSP will also be tested in the above properties as well as the barrier function of acclimated rats. ..
- Keystone Symposium on Stroke, March 9-14, 2002Chung Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This conference, focusing on fundamental basic science on stroke, will be a much needed vehicle to advance stroke research. ..
- INFLAMMATORY APOPTOSIS AFTER SPINAL CORD INJURYChung Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2001..The ultimate goal of this project is to enhance functional recovery after SCI through a reduction in ODC death. ..
- INTEGRIN SIGNALING IN ACUTE LYMPHOBLASTIC LEUKEMIAArnold Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2001..Understanding the cell-cell interaction between BM stromal cells and pre-B ALL cells may provide future therapeutic strategies with which to modulate the growth of these leukemias. ..
- PEDIATRIC BRAIN TUMOR CLINICAL TRIAL CONSORTIUMMichael Prados; Fiscal Year: 2003..The aim of these treatment approaches is to increase disease-free and overall survival in children with brain tumors. ..
- INVESTIGATING THE MECHANISMS OF PRB TUMOR SUPPRESSIONArnab Chakravarti; Fiscal Year: 2003..Specific Aim number 3: To determine whether the deregulation of E2F dependent transcription is correlated with the tumorigenic potential of RB -/- cells in-vivo. ..
- Etanercept Therapy in Follicular LymphomaArnold Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study is a novel approach to treating FL, where targeting the microenvironment of the tumor may inhibit the growth and survival of the neoplastic cells. ..
- CpG Plus Rituximab Therapy in Follicular LymphomaArnold Freedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..This study is a novel approach to treating FL, where augmenting antigen presentation and effector cells may lead to enhanced cytotoxic effects of rituximab and induce anti-tumor immunity. ..
- Biochemical/Molecular Changes Upon Naive T Cell PrimingThomas Gajewski; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Regional AGT Depeltion of CNS and Leptomeningeal TumorsHenry Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..To define the role of intrathecal AGT inhibitors in enhancing system or intrathecal temozolomide therapy of neoplastic meningitis. ..
- CALGB STUDIES OF BREAST CANCER IN THE ELDERLYRichard Schilsky; Fiscal Year: 2004..This well integrated project provides a multidisciplinary approach that will address many issues relevant to the treatment of elderly women with breast cancer. ..
- Hematopoietic Potential of Muscle-Derived CellsHans Peter Kiem; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DNA ADDUCTS FORMED DURING BRAIN TUMOR THERAPYWilliam Bodell; Fiscal Year: 2001..Number of treatment. These studies will be the first to investigate the formation of BCNU derived DNA abducts in a ic. Brain tumor model. ..
- NABTT-Consortium Therapeutic Studies of CNS MalignanciesStuart Grossman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genomics Screening for Antiangiogenesis DrugsJohn Fruehauf; Fiscal Year: 2002..The total global market size for anti-angiogenesis drugs in cancer could reach $ 3 billion by 2005...
- NITROXIDERGIC CEREBROVASCULAR TONE DURING ANESTHESIAShailendra Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- GLIOMA HETEROGENEITY AND CHEMOSENSITIVITYAdrienne Scheck; Fiscal Year: 2002..The clinical significance of these findings will be validated in fresh frozen and paraffin embedded samples by analyzing tissue from their extensive tumor bank (Specific Aim 4). ..
- Probing the pore of CFTR using chemical modificationXuehong Liu; Fiscal Year: 2003..mechanism to explain how HFS type diets cause insulin resistance. and hypertension, and how a LFCC diet, antioxidant therapy or exercise training aid in the control of insulin resistance and hypertension. ..
- DNA Adducts Formed by DopamineWilliam Bodell; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the results of these studies will provide unique molecular markers that will be used in future studies to evaluate whether this process is occurring in the substantia nigra of human brain. ..
- Technologies To Block Gene Expression in Normal T CellsThomas Gajewski; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Multi-Peptide/IL 12 Melanoma VaccineThomas Gajewski; Fiscal Year: 2006..Understanding these mechanisms will illuminate the next level of intervention to develop to increase the clinical response to the immunotherapy of melanoma. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF NO-MEDIATED PROTEIN S-NITROSYLATION IN EAEOSCAR BIZZOZERO; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..