- Screening of Brazilian plant extracts for antioxidant activity by the use of DPPH free radical method
L L Mensor
Departamento de Produtos Naturais e Alimentos, , Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, , Bl. A, , Rio de Janeiro, 21941-590 RJ, Brazil
Phytother Res 15:127-30. 2001
..Among the partitions, the more polar ones (ethyl acetate and n-butanol) are those that generally have higher antioxidant activity (AA)...
- Free radical scavenging properties of wheat extracts
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:1619-24. 2002
..The TPC were 487.9 +/- 927.8 microg gallic acid equivalents/g of grain. No correlation was observed between TPC and radical scavenging capacities for DPPH* and ABTS*+ (p = 0.15 and p > 0.5, respectively)...
- Total polyphenol content and antioxidant capacity of commercially available tea (Camellia sinensis) in Argentina
Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Agric Food Chem 56:9225-9. 2008
..The results obtained herein allow one to conclude that Argentine tea is of very good quality when compared to teas from other sources...
- Evaluation of the antioxidant properties of litchi fruit phenolics in relation to pericarp browning prevention
South China Botanical Garden, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou Leyiju 510650, PR China
Molecules 12:759-71. 2007
..These results suggest that litchi pericarp tissue phenolics could be beneficial in scavenging free radicals, maintaining membrane integrity and, thereby inhibiting pericarp browning of litchi fruit...
- Antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of methanol extract, fractions and compounds from the stem bark of Entada abyssinica Stend ex A. Satabie
Gerald N Teke
Laboratory of Microbiology and Antimicrobial Substances, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, Cameroon
BMC Complement Altern Med 11:57. 2011
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of the methanol extract, fractions and isolated compounds from Entada abyssinica stem bark, plant used traditionally against gastrointestinal infections...
- Antioxidant activity of L-adrenaline: a structure-activity insight
Ataturk University, Faculty of Sciences, Department of Chemistry, TR 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Chem Biol Interact 179:71-80. 2009
..Moreover, this study will bring an innovation for further studies related to antioxidant properties of L-adrenaline. According to present study, L-adrenaline had effective in vitro antioxidant and radical scavenging activity...
- Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of anethole-rich oil from leaves of selected varieties of fennel [Foeniculum vulgare Mill. ssp. vulgare var. azoricum (Mill.) Thell]
Department of Pharmacy, University of Naples Federico II, via D Montesano, 49, 80131 Naples, Italy Electronic address
Fitoterapia 90:214-9. 2013
..The various samples of Florence fennel analyzed did not show any results with FRAP test. The DPPH test showed a weak capacity of the samples to catch the free radicals from the solution, attributable to their content in anethole. ..
- Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of raspberry and blackberry cultivars
Dept of Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Arts, Univ of Uludag, Bursa 16059, Turkey
J Food Sci 75:C328-35. 2010
..93, P = 0.05). ABTS value was highly correlated with total flavonoid content in methanol extract (r = 0.90), whereas total flavonoid content was relatively less correlated with DPPH (r = 0.85) and CUPRAC (r = 0.89)...
- Antioxidant properties of Indian medicinal plants
Hemant R Jadhav
Department of Natural Products, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, S A S Nagar 160 062 Punjab, India
Phytother Res 16:771-3. 2002
..The selective pigment removal from the extracts led to an increase in free radical scavenging activity and a decrease in inhibition of lipid peroxidation...
- Potential of cranberry-based herbal synergies for diabetes and hypertension management
Laboratory of Food Technology, Department of Food Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:433-41. 2006
- Correlations between polyphenolic composition and antioxidant activity of Venetian propolis
Department of Physical Chemistry, University of Venice, Dorsoduro 2137, Venice 30123, Italy
Food Chem Toxicol 48:76-82. 2010
..The possible localization of the lipophylic components of propolis into the phospholipidic bilayer by thermal analysis (DSC) and spin label EPR techniques has also been investigated...
- Antioxidant properties and composition of aqueous extracts from Mentha species, hybrids, varieties, and cultivars
H J Damien Dorman
Department of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmacognosy, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56 Viikinkaari 5E, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Agric Food Chem 51:4563-9. 2003
..With the exception of iron chelation, it appeared that the level of activity identified was strongly associated with the phenolic content...
- Antioxidant properties of bran extracts from "Akron" wheat grown at different locations
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition and Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
J Agric Food Chem 51:1566-70. 2003
..More research is required to further investigate the relationship among antioxidant properties and environmental factors using different wheat varieties and larger sample sizes...
- Identification of new dicaffeoylquinic acids from Chrysanthemum morifolium and their antioxidant activities
Hyoung Ja Kim
Medicinal Chemistry Research Center, Division of Life Sciences, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Cheongryang, Seoul, Korea
Planta Med 71:871-6. 2005
..6 +/- 0.4 microg/mL for 2, respectively) in the xanthine/xanthine oxidase system as compared to quercetin and also showed potent DPPH radical scavenging activity (IC50 = 5.6 +/- 0.1 for 1 and 5.8 +/- 0.2 microg/mL for 2, respectively)...
- Isolation and characterization of antioxidant phenolic compounds from the aerial parts of Hypericum hyssopifolium L. by activity-guided fractionation
Ataturk Universitesi, Kazim Karabekir Egitim Fakültesi, Kimya Egitimi Anabilim Dali, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
J Ethnopharmacol 87:73-83. 2003
..Then, n-dotriacontanyl hexadecanoate, bis(2-methylheptyl) phthalate, and beta-sitosterol were isolated from it. It is of interest to present the spectral data of bis(2-methylheptyl) phthalate first time in the present study...
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the edible medicinal halophyte Tamarix gallica L. and related polyphenolic constituents
Laboratoire d Adaptation des Plantes aux Stress Abiotiques, Centre de Biotechnologie à la Technopole de Borj Cédria CBBC, BP 901, 2050 Hammam Lif, Tunisia
Food Chem Toxicol 47:2083-91. 2009
..These findings suggest that Tamarix may be considered as an interesting source of antioxidants for therapeutic or nutraceutical industries and for food manufactures...
- Nitrite elimination and hydrolytic ring cleavage in 2,4,6-trinitrophenol (picric acid) degradation
Klaus W Hofmann
Institute of Microbiology, University of Stuttgart, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 70:2854-60. 2004
..At pH 7.5, the dihydride complex of 2,4-dinitrophenol is protonated to 2,4-dinitrocyclohexanone. A hydrolase was purified from strain FJ2-1A and shown to cleave 2,4-dinitrocyclohexanone hydrolytically to 4,6-dinitrohexanoate...
- Antibacterial and antioxidant properties of the methanol extracts of the leaves and stems of Calpurnia aurea
Adeolu A Adedapo
Department of Veterinary Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:53. 2008
..Antioxidants play an important role protecting against damage by reactive oxygen species. Plants containing flavonoids have been reported to possess strong antioxidant properties...
- Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of hydroalcoholic stem bark extract of Schotia latifolia Jacq
Sunday Oyewole Oyedemi
School of Biological Sciences, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa
Asian Pac J Trop Med 4:952-8. 2011
..To investigate the antibacterial and antioxidant activities of hydroalcoholic extract of Schotia latifolia (S. latifolia) bark commonly used in South Africa traditional medicine for the treatment of various ailments...
- Edible oils for liver protection: hepatoprotective potentiality of Moringa oleifera seed oil against chemical-induced hepatitis in rats
Mansour S al-Said
Dept of Pharmacognosy, College of Pharmacy, King Saud Univ, PO Box 2457, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
J Food Sci 77:T124-30. 2012
..Consequently, BO can be used as a therapeutic regime in treatment of some hepatic disorders...
- Preliminary antinociceptive, antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of Leucas aspera root
M S Rahman
Phytochemistry and Pharmacology Research Laboratory, Pharmacy Discipline, Khulna University, Khulna 9208, Bangladesh
Fitoterapia 78:552-5. 2007
..The extract showed a significant free radical scavenging activity with an IC(50) of 8 microg/ml. The extract showed significant lethality to brine shrimp with an LC(50) value...
- Enhancement of lipid stability of broiler breast meat and meat products fed on alpha lipoic acid and alpha tocopherol acetate supplemented feed
National Institute of Food Science and Technology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan
Lipids Health Dis 11:57. 2012
..In a nutshell, 150 mg/kg feed dietary supplementation of ALA with constant level of ATA can ameliorate the antioxidant potential, lipid stability and nutritional qualities of broiler breast meat and meat products...
- Fate and effects of picric acid and 2,6-DNT in marine environments: toxicity of degradation products
Texas A and M University Corpus Christi, Center for Coastal Studies, Corpus Christi, TX 78412 5866, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 50:1205-17. 2005
..Photo-transformation of 2,6-DNT in seawater resulted in a reduction in toxicity...
- Determination of in vitro antidiabetic effects, antioxidant activities and phenol contents of some herbal teas
Food Engineering Department, Nutritional Science, Ege University, Izmir, 35100, Turkey
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 63:27-33. 2008
..They could contribute to sustain plasma antioxidant level because antioxidants present in plants and herbs prevent the development of vascular diseases seen in type 2 diabetes...
- A comparison of ABTS and DPPH methods for assessing the total antioxidant capacity of human milk
Department of Food Chemistry, Technology and Biotechnology, Gdansk University of Technology, Poland
Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment 11:83-9. 2012
..This study compares the effectiveness of ABTS and DPPH tests with regard to the recovery, precision and sensitivity (detection and quantification limit) of (TAC) values in human milk...
- Radical scavenging activity of bisbenzylisoquinoline alkaloids and traditional prophylactics against chemotherapy-induced oral mucositis
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Shujitsu University, Nishigawara, Okayama, Japan
J Clin Pharm Ther 34:197-205. 2009
- Screening of antiradical and antioxidant activity of monodesmosides and crude extract from Leontice smirnowii tuber
Faculty of Science and Arts, Department of Chemistry, Ataturk University, TR 25240, Erzurum, Turkey
Phytomedicine 13:343-51. 2006
..Also, these various antioxidant activities were compared with BHA, BHT, alpha-tocopherol and trolox which were accepted as references antioxidants...
- In vitro and in vivo antioxidant activity of Symplocos cochinchinensis S. Moore leaves containing phenolic compounds
Division of Ethnopharmacology, Entomology Research Institute, Loyola College, Chennai 600034, India
Food Chem Toxicol 49:1604-9. 2011
..The activity of the extract was comparable to the standard drug, silymarin (25 mg/kg). The results suggest that the leaves of S. cochinchinensis are a source of natural antioxidants...
- In vitro free radical scavenging activity of wild edible mushroom, Pleurotus squarrosulus (Mont.) Singer
Molecular and Applied Mycology and Plant Pathology Laboratory, Department of Botany, University of Calcutta, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata 700 019, India
Indian J Exp Biol 48:1210-8. 2010
..Results of this study showed that, hot water extract has maximum antioxidant property and may be utilized as a promising source of therapeutics...
- Gating charge displacement in voltage-gated ion channels involves limited transmembrane movement
Departments of Physiology and Anesthesiology, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 650 Charles E Young Dr South, Los Angeles, California 90025, USA
Nature 436:852-6. 2005
..Based on these observations, we propose a molecular model of voltage gating that can account for the observed 13e gating charge with limited transmembrane S4 movement...
- Antioxidant activity of caffeic acid (3,4-dihydroxycinnamic acid)
Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry, Ataturk University, TR 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Toxicology 217:213-20. 2006
..In addition, caffeic acid is an effective ABTS(+) scavenging, DPPH scavenging, superoxide anion radical scavenging, total reducing power and metal chelating on ferrous ions activities...
- Human cancer cell antiproliferative and antioxidant activities of Juglans regia L
CEBIMED, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Fernando Pessoa, Porto, Portugal
Food Chem Toxicol 48:441-7. 2010
..352 and 0.229 mg/mL, respectively) than green husk or seed extracts. The results obtained herein strongly indicate that walnut tree constitute an excellent source of effective natural antioxidants and chemopreventive agents...
- Antioxidant and anticancer activities of organic extracts from Platycodon grandiflorum A. De Candolle roots
Ji Young Lee
Graduate School of Biotechnology, Korea University, Anam Dong, Sungbuk Ku, Seoul 136 701, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 93:409-15. 2004
..In addition, the antioxidant activity was closely related to the content of phenolic compounds, and the anticancer active fraction exhibited a typical UV absorbance spectrum of polyacetylene...
- Antioxidant activity of Caesalpinia digyna root
TIFAC CORE in Herbal Drugs, JSS College of Pharmacy, Ootacamund 643001, The Nilgiris, Tamilnadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 113:284-91. 2007
..The study provides a proof for the ethnomedical claims and reported biological activities. The plant has, therefore, very good therapeutic potential...
- Cat's claw inhibits TNFalpha production and scavenges free radicals: role in cytoprotection
Department of Pediatrics and Center for Cardiovascular Sciences, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 29:71-8. 2000
..The primary mechanism for cat's claw anti-inflammatory actions appears to be immunomodulation via suppression of TNFalpha synthesis...
- Antioxidant activity of Nelumbo nucifera (sacred lotus) seeds
School of Natural Product Studies, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, 188 Raja S C Mullick Road, Kolkata 700 032, India
J Ethnopharmacol 104:322-7. 2006
..Nelumbo nucifera seeds contain alkaloids, saponins, phenolics and carbohydrates. The results support significant antioxidant nature of HANN...
- Polyphenol content and antioxidant activity of fourteen wild edible fruits from Burkina Faso
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Chimie Appliquees, U F R S V T, Universite de Ouagadougou, 03 BP 7021 Ouaga 03, Burkina Faso
Molecules 13:581-94. 2008
..Fruits with high antioxidant activities were also found to possess high phenolic and flavonoid contents. There was a strong correlation between total phenolic and flavonoid levels and antioxidant activities...
- Antioxidant activity of Paraguayan plant extracts
Direccion de Investigacion, Facultad de Ciencias Qui micas, Universidad Nacional de Asuncion, Asuncion, Paraguay
Fitoterapia 74:91-7. 2003
..C. pachystachya, E. uniflora, S. weinmannifolia and S. terebinthifolia showed the highest scavenging activity on the superoxide and DPPH radicals...
- Free-radical scavenging action of medicinal herbs from Ghana: Thonningia sanguinea on experimentally-induced liver injuries
M A Gyamfi
Laboratory of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Nishihara, Okinawa, Japan
Gen Pharmacol 32:661-7. 1999
..Similarly, T. sanguinea pretreatment also inhibited CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. These data indicate that T. sanguinea is a potent antioxidant and can offer protection against GalN- or CCl4-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Determination of the chemical composition and antioxidant activity of the essential oil of Artemisia dracunculus and of the antifungal and antibacterial activities of Turkish Artemisia absinthium, A. dracunculus, Artemisia santonicum, and Artemisia spicig
Department of Plant Protection, Faculty of Agriculture, and Department of Chemistry, Kazim Karabekir Education Faculty, Ataturk University, Campus, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
J Agric Food Chem 53:9452-8. 2005
- Preparation of the different derivatives of the low-molecular-weight porphyran from Porphyra haitanensis and their antioxidant activities in vitro
Institute of Oceanology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao, China
Int J Biol Macromol 45:22-6. 2009
..The benzoylated derivative showed the most excellent antioxidant activity in three assays, so this derivative needs to be attended to...
- Antioxidant properties of palm fruit extracts
Human Nutrition Unit, School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:319-24. 2005
..4 mM GAE. These findings suggest that the crude and ethanol extracts are able to scavenge free radicals, by either hydrogen or electron donating mechanisms, and can therefore act as primary antioxidants...
- Blechnum orientale Linn - a fern with potential as antioxidant, anticancer and antibacterial agent
How Y Lai
School of Science, Monash University Sunway Campus, Bandar Sunway, 46150 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
BMC Complement Altern Med 10:15. 2010
..The aim of the study was to evaluate antioxidant, anticancer and antibacterial activity of five solvent fractions obtained from the methanol extract of the leaves of Blechnum orientale Linn...
- Radical scavenging activity of black cumin (Nigella sativa L.), coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.), and niger (Guizotia abyssinica Cass.) crude seed oils and oil fractions
Mohamed F Ramadan
Institut fur Lebensmittelchemie, Technische Universitat Berlin, Gustav Meyer Allee 25, TIB 4 3 1, D 13355 Berlin, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 51:6961-9. 2003
..As part of the effort to assess the potential of these seed oils, the information is also of importance in processing and utilizing the crude oils and their byproducts...
- Evaluation of free radical scavenging and antityrosinase activities of standardized longan fruit extract
Laboratory of Pharmacology, Chulabhorn Research Institute CRI, 54 Moo 4, Vipavadee Rangsit Highway, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Thailand
Food Chem Toxicol 45:328-36. 2007
..9-3.2 mg/ml. Therefore, the preliminary observations suggest that longan seed extract could be another potential source of potent natural dietary antioxidants and also in an application as a new natural skin-whitening agent...
- Identification and antioxidant potential of flavonoids and low molecular weight phenols in olive cultivar chemlali growing in Tunisia
Laboratoire des Bio procédés, Centre de Biotechnologie de Sfax, B P K, 3038 Sfax, Tunisia
J Agric Food Chem 53:236-41. 2005
..A hydroxyl group at the ortho position at 3' on the B ring of the flavonoid nucleus could contribute to the antioxidant activity of the flavonoids...
- In vivo skin irritation potential of a Castanea sativa (Chestnut) leaf extract, a putative natural antioxidant for topical application
Isabel F Almeida
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, São Marcos Hospital, Braga, Portugal
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 103:461-7. 2008
..The patch test carried out showed that, with respect to irritant effects, this extract can be regarded as safe for topical application...
- Antioxidant and antidermatophytic activities of essential oil and extracts of Metasequoia glyptostroboides Miki ex Hu
Vivek K Bajpai
Department of Biotechnology, College of Engineering, Daegu University, Kyoungsan, 15, Neriri, Chilryang, Kyoungbook 712 714, Republic of Korea
Food Chem Toxicol 47:1355-61. 2009
..canis KCTC 6348 and M. canis KCTC 6349. The oil also had a strong detrimental effect on spore germination as well as concentration and time-dependent kinetic inhibition of M. canis KCTC 6591...
- Hydrophobic ions amplify the capacitive currents used to measure exocytotic fusion
A F Oberhauser
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Biophys J 69:451-9. 1995
..Our results indicate that hydrophobic ions provide an important tool for high resolution studies of membrane capacitance...
- Antioxidant activities and phenolic contents of the methanol extracts of the stems of Acokanthera oppositifolia and Adenia gummifera
Adeolu A Adedapo
Department of Veterinary Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 8:54. 2008
..Antioxidants thus play an important role of protecting the human body against damage by the free radicals. Plants containing phenolic compounds have been reported to possess strong antioxidant properties...
- Antioxidant, free radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory effects of aloesin derivatives in Aloe vera
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Gakuen cho, Fukuyama, Japan
Planta Med 68:957-60. 2002
..nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide NADPH:reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate NBT:nitroblue tetrazolium Pg:prostaglandin SOD:superoxide dismutase TBA:thiobarbituric acid TCA:trichloroacetic acid XOD:xanthine oxidase..
- Evaluation of antioxidant potential of aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis miller) extracts
College of Food Science and Technology, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, PRC
J Agric Food Chem 51:7788-91. 2003
..19%, which is significantly higher than that of BHT at 70.52% and alpha-tocopherol at 65.20%. These data suggest that the growth stage plays a vital role in the composition and antioxidant activity of Aloe vera...
- Phenolic antioxidants from the whole plant of Phyllanthus urinaria
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650204, PR China
Chem Biodivers 4:2246-52. 2007
..The antioxidant activities and mushroom-tyrosinase-inhibitory activities of all compounds were determined by DPPH-radical-scavenging and mushroom-tyrosinase-inhibitory assays (Table 2)...
- The effect of oil components on the physicochemical properties and drug delivery of emulsions: tocol emulsion versus lipid emulsion
Chi Feng Hung
School of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 335:193-202. 2007
..The mean vesicle size of the tocol emulsion remained unchanged during 30 days at 37 degrees C. The lipid emulsion and aqueous micelle system, respectively, showed 11- and 16-fold increases in vesicle size after 30 days of storage...
- Adsorption to dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine membranes in gel and fluid state: pentachlorophenolate, dipicrylamine, and tetraphenylborate
Department of Physics and Environmental Sciences, Portland State University, Oregon 97207 0715
Biophys J 58:1285-94. 1990
..From the analysis of zeta-potential isotherms in terms of Langmuir-Stern-Grahame model we obtained the association constant, K, the area of the adsorption site, Ps, and the linear partition coefficient, beta...
- The in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oil and methanol extracts of Achillea biebersteini Afan. (Asteraceae)
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science and Literature, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Phytother Res 18:451-6. 2004
..Antimicrobial activity tests carried out with the fractions of the oil showed that the activity was mainly observed in those containing eucalyptol and camphor, in particular, followed by borneol and piperitone...
- Protection of human colon epithelial cells against deoxycholate by rottlerin
Jennifer M Longpre
Cellular and Molecular Nutrition Research Laboratory, Department of Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC 27402 6170, USA
Apoptosis 13:1162-71. 2008
..In contrast, epigallocatechin gallate, curcumin, and genistein were ineffective...
- In vitro antioxidant activity and scavenging effects of Cinnamomum verum leaf extract assayed by different methodologies
Bioactive Polymer Engineering Section, Chemical Science Division, Regional Research Laboratory, Pappanamcode, Trivandrum 695 019, Kerala, India
Food Chem Toxicol 44:198-206. 2006
..The peroxidation inhibiting activity of CLE recorded using the linoleic acid emulsion system, showed very good antioxidant activity...
- Comparative radical scavenging and antidiabetic activities of methanolic extract and fractions from Achillea ligustica ALL
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Calabria, I 87036 Rende CS, Italy
Biol Pharm Bull 28:1791-4. 2005
..The alpha-amylase inhibition assay was applied to evaluate antidiabetic activity. The methanolic extract showed weak activity (28.18% at 1 mg/ml) while the n-hexane fraction showed 74.96% inhibition at 250 microg/ml...
- Antioxidant activity of the ethanolic extract of Striga orobanchioides
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, J S S College of Pharmacy, Rocklands, Ootacamund 643 001, Tamilnadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 85:227-30. 2003
..The treatment also caused a significant decrease in the TBA-RS and increase in the ascorbic acid levels. These results suggest strong antioxidant potentials of the ethanolic extract of S. orobanchioides...
- Toxicological and chemical assessment of ordinance compounds in marine sediments and porewaters
Texas A and M University Corpus Christi, Center for Coastal Studies, 78412, USA
Mar Pollut Bull 44:789-806. 2002
..Degradation products may have played a role in observed toxicity...
- Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity of Sida rhombifolia (L.) ssp. retusa (L.)
Department of Pharmacognosy, Poona College of Pharmacy, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Erandwane, Pune, India
J Med Food 10:683-8. 2007
..The highest antioxidant activity was observed in root extract. The results obtained from the current study indicate that S. rhombifolia ssp. retusa is a potential source of natural antioxidants...
- Croton cajucara Benth. leaf extract scavenges the stable free radical DPPH and protects against oxidative stress induced by paraquat
Laboratório de Estresse Oxidativo, Universidade Luterana do Brasil, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Biol Pharm Bull 29:161-5. 2006
..Our results confirm that Croton cajucara leaf extract present radical scavenging activity and reduce oxidative stress induced by paraquat, suggesting the beneficial use as a potential source of antioxidant agents of natural origin...
- Antioxidant, mutagenic, and antimutagenic activity of frozen fruits
Patricia D S Spada
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidade de Caxias do Sul, Caxias do Sul, Brazil
J Med Food 11:144-51. 2008
..01). Evaluation of polyphenols, carotenoids, and ascorbic acid showed considerable levels of these compounds in frozen fruits, even after freezing. These data suggest that frozen fruits contribute to the prevention of biological damages...
- Antioxidative activity of protein hydrolysates prepared from alkaline-aided channel catfish protein isolates
Ann E Theodore
Laboratory of Aquatic Food Biomolecular Research, Aquatic Food Products Program, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:7459-66. 2008
..In a washed muscle model system, the ability of catfish protein hydrolysates and their corresponding supernatants to inhibit the formation of TBARS increased with an increase in the degree of hydrolysis...
- Sequestering ability of butylated hydroxytoluene, propyl gallate, resveratrol, and vitamins C and E against ABTS, DPPH, and hydroxyl free radicals in chemical and biological systems
Daniele G Soares
Instituto de Biotecnologia, Universidade de Caxias do Sul, Rua Francisco Getulio Vargas 1130, 95070 560 Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 51:1077-80. 2003
..The assays in yeast showed that the antioxidant activity of the tested compounds depended on the stressing agent used and the mechanism of action of the antioxidant...
- Determination of antioxidant and radical scavenging activity of Basil (Ocimum basilicum L. Family Lamiaceae) assayed by different methodologies
Ataturk University, Faculty of Science and Arts, Department of Chemistry, TR 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Phytother Res 21:354-61. 2007
..The additional total phenolic content of these basil extracts was determined as the gallic acid equivalent and were found to be equivalent...
- Antioxidant activity of conjugated linoleic acid isomers, linoleic acid and its methyl ester determined by photoemission and DPPH techniques
Instituto de Investigaciones Fisicoquimicas Teoricas y Aplicadas, INIFTA UNLP, CCT La Plata CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina
Biophys Chem 137:56-62. 2008
..These data indicate that CLAs would provide protection against free radicals, but LA and LAME cannot...
- Free radical scavenging activity of extracts prepared from fresh leaves of selected Chinese medicinal plants
Anhui Agricultural University, Hefei 230036, PR China
Fitoterapia 75:14-23. 2004
..These uses may be directly linked to the content in tannins and flavonoids and consequently to their free radical scavenging activities...
- Antiradical efficacy of phytochemical extracts from defatted rice bran
R Renuka Devi
Agroprocessing and Natural Products Division, Regional Research Laboratory CSIR, Thiruvananthapuram 695 019, Kerala, India
Food Chem Toxicol 45:2014-21. 2007
..The DPPH as well as superoxide scavenging activities of AE, AE-LP and AE-PP could largely be attributed to the levels of total phenols (TPC) and ferulic acid in it...
- The screening analysis of antiradical activity of some plant extracts
Department of Pharmacognosy, Wrocław Medical University, Wrocław, Poland
Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online) 60:563-70. 2006
..In this paper the antiradical activities of some plant raw materials were investigated...
- Antioxidant activity of piper betel leaf extract and its constituents
Jitesh S Rathee
Bio Organic Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400 085, India
J Agric Food Chem 54:9046-54. 2006
..OH radical scavenging capacities. The better ability of APC to scavenge O2-. radicals and H2O2 might account for the results...
- Antioxidant properties of the methanol extracts from the leaves of Paullinia pinnata
F O Jimoh
Department of Botany, University of Fort Hare, Alice, South Africa
J Med Food 10:707-11. 2007
..These properties are probably part of the reasons why P. pinnata is effective in folk medicine...
- Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of five moss species
Charles University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Botany and Ecology, Heyrovskeho 1203, 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Fitoterapia 77:598-600. 2006
..No correlation between the total phenolic content and antioxidant or scavenging activities was found...
- Antioxidant activity of extract from Polygonum aviculare L
Chin Yuan Hsu
Department of Life Science, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, China
Biol Res 39:281-8. 2006
..The total phenolics and flavonoid content of extract is 677.4 +/- 62.7 microg/g and 112.7 +/- 13 microg/g. The results indicate that Polygonum aviculare L. extract clearly has antioxidant effects...
- Bioactive phenols from the leaves of Baccaurea ramiflora
Xian Wen Yang
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, People s Republic of China
Planta Med 73:1415-7. 2007
..9, 142.9, 15.2, 37.6, 35.9, 30.2, and 79.8 microM, respectively...
- Phenolic composition of Cynara cardunculus L. organs, and their biological activities
Laboratoire d Adaptation des Plantes aux Stress Abiotiques, Centre de Biotechnologie à la Technopole de Borj Cédria CBBC, BP 901, 2050 Hammam Lif, Tunisia
C R Biol 331:372-9. 2008
..The identification of phenolic compounds from leaves revealed that syringic and trans-cinnamic acids were the major molecules...
- Corni fructus scavenges hydroxy radicals and decreases oxidative stress in endothelial cells
Soon Ok Lee
Hotel Cuisine, Korea Tourism College, Icheon, Korea
J Med Food 9:594-8. 2006
..This study demonstrates that corni fructus is a potent antioxidant substance, and suggests that further investigation is needed to characterize the difference between extract types and to identify its antioxidant compounds...
- Screening of antimutagenicity via antioxidant activity in Cuban medicinal plants
Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo de Medicamentos, Avenue 26, No 1605, Ciudad de La Habana, Nuevo Vedado, CP 10600, Cuba
J Ethnopharmacol 87:241-6. 2003
..Eugenol, the main constituent of the essential oil of Pimenta dioica, also inhibited oxidative mutagenesis by TBH in Escherichia coli, at concentrations ranging from 150 to 400 micro g/plate...
- Antioxidant activities of Toona Sinensis leaves extracts using different antioxidant models
You Cheng Hseu
Department of Cosmeceutics, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Food Chem Toxicol 46:105-14. 2008
..Our findings suggest that T. sinensis may act as a chemopreventative agent, providing antioxidant properties and offering effective protection from atherogenesis...
- Antioxidant activity of nine Fabaceae species growing in Serbia and Montenegro
Institute of Chemistry, Technology and Metallurgy, Njegoseva 12, 11000, Belgrade, Serbia
Fitoterapia 79:185-7. 2008
..The investigated plants exhibited strong antioxidant capacity in all the tested methods, and among them, Lathyrus binatus, Trifolium pannonicum, and Anthyllis aurea were found to be the most active...
- Antioxidant and anticancer activity of 3'-formyl-4', 6'-dihydroxy-2'-methoxy-5'-methylchalcone and (2S)-8-formyl-5-hydroxy-7-methoxy-6-methylflavanone
Chun Lin Ye
Department of Biological and Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University of Science and Technology, Hangzhou 310012, PR China
J Pharm Pharmacol 59:553-9. 2007
..The results obtained in the current study indicate that the two flavonoids could be a potential source of natural antioxidant and anticancer agents. To our knowledge, this is the first report on bioactivity of FMC and FMF...
- Antioxidant activity of Filipendula hexapetala flowers
Institute of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, Vojvode Stepe 450, 11221 Belgrade, Serbia
Fitoterapia 78:265-7. 2007
..The activity of the investigated extract in all test-systems was found to be significant. The principal constituent responsible for the observed effects was isolated and identified as spiraeoside...
- Radical scavenging, antibacterial, and antiproliferative activities of Melissa officinalis L. extracts
Facultie of Technology, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
J Med Food 11:133-43. 2008
..The present study demonstrated the high phenolic content and radical scavenging, antibacterial, and antiproliferative activities of extracts of M. officinalis L. originating from Serbia...
- Radical scavenging, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of Brazilian Caatinga plants
Juceni P David
Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal da Bahia, 40170 290 Salvador BA, Brazil
Fitoterapia 78:215-8. 2007
..globosa, Mimosa ophtalmocentra, M. coriacea and Lippia cf. microphylla. In contrast, R. leptopetala, Zornia cf. brasiliensis and Leonotis nepetifolia were the most active species in the BST...
- Protective effect of steamed American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) on V79-4 cells induced by oxidative stress
Kyung Tack Kim
Korea Food Research Institute, San 46 1, Baekhyun dong, Bundang Ku, Songnam si, Kyunggi Do 463 746, Republic of Korea
J Ethnopharmacol 111:443-50. 2007
..2-90.9%). The heated ginseng protected cell viability against H2O2-induced oxidative damage, and enhanced the activities of superoxide dismutase and catalase by dose dependently in V79-4 cells...
- Antioxidant activity of Viscum album ssp. album
Istanbul University, Faculty of Science, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 34118 Vezneciler Istanbul, Turkey
Fitoterapia 77:556-60. 2006
..The extract from mistletoe grown on lime tree in summer showed the highest activity. It was found that antioxidant capacity of the plant differed according to the harvesting time as well as the host tree...
- Antioxidant phenolic glucosides from Gentiana piasezkii
Q X Wu
State Key Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, 730000, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 8:391-6. 2006
..Their structures were established based on spectroscopic methods including 2D NMR (COSY and gHMBC) techniques. Compounds 1, 2, 5 and 6 were evaluated for the antioxidant activity in the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) assay system...
- Phenolic constituents and antioxidant properties of Xanthosoma violaceum leaves
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche and Scuola di Specializzazione in Scienza e Tecnologia Cosmetiche, University of Salerno, Invariante 11 C, 84084 Fisciano, Salerno, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 51:6423-8. 2003
..In both tests used, the extract and a fraction II showed a significant antioxidant/free-radical scavenging effect (fraction II, EC(50) = 11.6 microg/mL) in comparison to alpha-tocopherol (EC(50) = 10.1 microg/mL)...
- Free radical studies of ellagic acid, a natural phenolic antioxidant
K Indira Priyadarsini
Radiation Chemistry and Chemical Dynamics Division and Cell Biology Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Trombay, Mumbai 400085, India
J Agric Food Chem 50:2200-6. 2002
..7 x 10(3) M(-1) s (-1). The electron spin resonance spectra of the oxidized ellagic acid radicals have been recorded by horseradish peroxidase and hydrogen peroxide method...
- Antiradical and antilipoperoxidative effects of some plant extracts used by Sri Lankan traditional medical practitioners for cardioprotection
T C J Munasinghe
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayawardenepura, Nugegoda, Sri Lanka
Phytother Res 15:519-23. 2001
..Of all the plants tested, T. arjuna demonstrated the highest antioxidant activity. Overall results show that only some plants used in the therapy of cardiovascular disease exert their beneficial effects via antioxidant activity...
- Antioxidant activity of a flavonoid-rich extract of Hypericum perforatum L. in vitro
State Key Laboratory of Bioreactor Engineering, Institute of Biochemistry, East China University of Science and Technology, Shanghai, 200237, China
J Agric Food Chem 52:5032-9. 2004
..According to the results obtained in the present study, the antioxidant mechanism of FEHP might be attributed to its free radical scavenging activity, metal-chelation activity, and reactive oxygen quenching activity...
- Antioxidative properties of brown algae polyphenolics and their perspectives as chemopreventive agents against vascular risk factors
Laboratory of Aging and Degenerative Diseases, Hanbat National University, Dukmyung dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon 305 719, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 26:286-93. 2003
..These results collectively demonstrated the usefulness of these polyphenolic compounds as fundamental chemopreventive agents against vascular risk factors originating from oxidative stress...
- Antioxidant availability of turmeric in relation to its medicinal and culinary uses
Jai C Tilak
Radiation Biology and Health Sciences Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai 400 085, India
Phytother Res 18:798-804. 2004
- Antioxidant activity and constituents of propolis collected in various areas of Korea
Mok Ryeon Ahn
Laboratory of Functional Food Science and COE Program in the 21st Century, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Shizuoka, 52 1 Yada, Shizuoka 422 8526, Japan
J Agric Food Chem 52:7286-92. 2004
..Propolis from Cheongju contained large amounts of antioxidative compounds, such as caffeic acid, kaempferol, and phenethyl caffeate. On the other hand, propolis from Pocheon had compounds not seen in propolis from other areas...
- Evaluation of the antioxidant and free radical scavenging properties of Secamone afzelii Rhoem
A Y Mensah
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
Phytother Res 18:1031-2. 2004
- Antioxidative polyphenols from berries of Pimenta dioica
Division of Food and Health Sciences, Graduate School of Human Life Scienece, Osaka City University, 3 3 138 Sugimoto, Sumiyoshi, Osaka 558 8585, Japan
Biofactors 21:301-3. 2004
..Two new compounds also exhibited strong DPPH radical-scavenging activity and inhibitory effect on the peroxidation od liposome as myricetin...
- Valorization of cauliflower (Brassica oleracea L. var. botrytis) by-products as a source of antioxidant phenolics
Research Group on Quality, Safety and Bioactivity of Plan Foods, Department of Food Science and Technology, CEBAS CSIC, P O Box 4195, Murcia 30080, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 51:2181-7. 2003
..The results obtained indicate that the cauliflower byproducts are a cheap source of antioxidant phenolics very interesting from both the industrial point of view and the possible usefulness as ingredients to functionalize foodstuffs...
- Antioxidant flavonoids and phenolic acids from leaves of Leea guineense G Don (Leeaceae)
Philippe Op de Beck
Département de Pharmacochimie Moléculaire UMR 5063 CNRS UJF, Faculté de Pharmacie de Grenoble, La Tronche, France
Phytother Res 17:345-7. 2003
..The structures were established by spectroscopic analysis (UV, MS, (1)H-NMR, (13)C-NMR and 2D-NMR). Their antioxidant effect on free radical scavenging was evaluated in the DPPH assay...
- Antioxidant and free radical scavenging activities of 5,7,3'-trihydroxy-3,6,4'-trimethoxyflavone from Brickellia veronicaefolia
R M Perez G
Laboratorio de Investigacion de Productos Naturales, Escuela Superior de Ingeniería Química e Industias extractivas IPN, Punto fi jo 16, col Torres Lindavista cp 07708, Mexico D F Mexico
Phytother Res 18:428-30. 2004
..5%) and alpha-tocopherol (95.9%) on oxidation in a beta-carotene and linoleic acid system. A moderate antiradical effect (47.6%) compared with BHT (96.7%) and alpha-tocopherol (94.6%) in DPPH decoloration test was found...
- Antioxidant principles from the needles of red pine, Pinus densi fl ora
Mee Jung Jung
Faculty of Food Science and Biotechnology, Pukyong National University, Pusan, Korea
Phytother Res 17:1064-8. 2003
..An active lignan (+)-isolarisiresinol xylopyranoside, as well as two active flavonoids [kaempferol 3-O-beta-galactopyranoside and its 6"-acetyl derivative], were isolated...