Genomes and Genes
Summary: A nitroimidazole used to treat AMEBIASIS; VAGINITIS; TRICHOMONAS INFECTIONS; GIARDIASIS; ANAEROBIC BACTERIA; and TREPONEMAL INFECTIONS. It has also been proposed as a radiation sensitizer for hypoxic cells. According to the Fourth Annual Report on Carcinogens (NTP 85-002, 1985, p133), this substance may reasonably be anticipated to be a carcinogen (Merck, 11th ed).
Publications381 found, 100 shown here
- A comparison of vancomycin and metronidazole for the treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea, stratified by disease severityFred A Zar
University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612 7323, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:302-7. 2007..of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) has been increasing, and there have been recent reports of metronidazole treatment failure...
- Drug susceptibility testing of anaerobic protozoaJ A Upcroft
Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1810-4. 2001..MICs (after 2 days) of 3.2 and 25 microM indicated metronidazole-sensitive and highly clinically resistant isolates of T. vaginalis in anaerobic assays, respectively...
- Point mutations in Helicobacter pylori's fur regulatory gene that alter resistance to metronidazole, a prodrug activated by chemical reductionSung Sook Choi
Department of Molecular Microbiology, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18236. 2011..METHOLODOLGY/PRINCIPAL FINDINGS: We tested if H. pylori fur mutations could affect resistance to metronidazole (Mtz), an anti-H. pylori prodrug rendered bactericidal by chemical reduction...
- Modified sequential Helicobacter pylori therapy: proton pump inhibitor and amoxicillin for 14 days with clarithromycin and metronidazole added as a quadruple (hybrid) therapy for the final 7 daysPing I Hsu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Helicobacter 16:139-45. 2011..Ten-day sequential therapy with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and amoxicillin followed by a PPI, clarithromycin, and an imidazole typically achieves Helicobacter pylori eradication rates of 90-94% (Grade B success)...
- Bismuth-based quadruple therapy using a single capsule of bismuth biskalcitrate, metronidazole, and tetracycline given with omeprazole versus omeprazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin for eradication of Helicobacter pylori in duodenal ulcer patients: a Loren Laine
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:562-7. 2003..trial assessed efficacy of bismuth-based quadruple therapy with omeprazole, bismuth biskalcitrate, metronidazole, and tetracycline (OBMT) using a single-triple capsule of BMT compared with triple therapy with omeprazole, ..
- A metronidazole-resistant isolate of Blastocystis spp. is susceptible to nitric oxide and downregulates intestinal epithelial inducible nitric oxide synthase by a novel parasite survival mechanismHaris Mirza
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Parasitology, Department of Microbiology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Science Drive 2, Singapore 117596, Singapore
Infect Immun 79:5019-26. 2011..ST-7 (B), a metronidazole-resistant isolate, was found to be more sensitive to nitrosative stress...
- Helicobacter pylori primary resistance to metronidazole and clarithromycin in BrazilPaula Prazeres Magalhães
Laboratory of Research in Bacteriology, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2021-3. 2002Helicobacter pylori resistance to metronidazole was detected in 107 (52.97%) of 202 strains. Twenty (9.85%) strains, 18 of them harboring 23S ribosomal DNA mutations, were resistant to clarithromycin...
- High recurrence rates of bacterial vaginosis over the course of 12 months after oral metronidazole therapy and factors associated with recurrenceCatriona S Bradshaw
Melbourne Sexual Health Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
J Infect Dis 193:1478-86. 2006..We wished to determine recurrences of bacterial vaginosis (BV) after treatment over the course of 12 months and to establish factors associated with recurrence...
- Changes in vaginal bacterial concentrations with intravaginal metronidazole therapy for bacterial vaginosis as assessed by quantitative PCRDavid N Fredricks
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:721-6. 2009..We describe changes in vaginal bacterial concentrations following metronidazole therapy for BV...
- Both oral metronidazole and oral vancomycin promote persistent overgrowth of vancomycin-resistant enterococci during treatment of Clostridium difficile-associated diseaseWafa N Al-Nassir
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 10000 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:2403-6. 2008For treatment of mild to moderate Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD), oral metronidazole has been recommended as the preferred agent, in part due to concern that vancomycin may be more likely to promote colonization by ..
- An adherent Gardnerella vaginalis biofilm persists on the vaginal epithelium after standard therapy with oral metronidazoleAlexander Swidsinski
Molekulargenetisches Labor für polymikrobielle Infektionen und bakterielle Biofilme, Berlin, Germany
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:97.e1-6. 2008The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy of standard treatment with oral metronidazole in the eradication of the bacterial vaginosis biofilm.
- Metronidazole prevents reactivation of latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in macaquesPhilana Ling Lin
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:14188-93. 2012..b>Metronidazole (MTZ), which has activity only against anaerobic, nonreplicating bacteria, was as effective as either of these ..
- Reassessment of Clostridium difficile susceptibility to metronidazole and vancomycinT Pelaez
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Service, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1647-50. 2002..The drugs most commonly used to treat diseases associated with C. difficile are metronidazole and vancomycin. Most clinical laboratories assume that all C...
- Inducible podocyte injury and proteinuria in transgenic zebrafishWeibin Zhou
University of Michigan Medical School, 8240 MSRB III, 1150 West Medical Center Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 5646, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:1039-47. 2012..of podocyte injury in zebrafish (pod::NTR-mCherry) by expressing a bacterial nitroreductase, which converts metronidazole to a cytotoxin, specifically in podocytes under the control of the zebrafish nphs2/podocin promoter...
- Recurrent Clostridium difficile infection: a review of risk factors, treatments, and outcomesStuart Johnson
Infectious Disease Section, Loyola University Medical Center, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Infect 58:403-10. 2009..Current guidelines recommend that the first recurrent episode be treated with the same agent (i.e., metronidazole or vancomycin) used for the index episode...
- Efficacy of oral metronidazole with vaginal clindamycin or vaginal probiotic for bacterial vaginosis: randomised placebo-controlled double-blind trialCatriona S Bradshaw
Melbourne School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
PLoS ONE 7:e34540. 2012To determine if oral metronidazole (MTZ-400 mg bid) with 2% vaginal clindamycin-cream (Clind) or a Lactobacillus acidophilus vaginal-probiotic containing oestriol (Prob) reduces 6-month bacterial vaginosis (BV) recurrence.
- Effect of metronidazole and modulation of cytokine production on human periodontal ligament cellsAntonietta Rizzo
Department of Experimental Medicine, Section of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Int Immunopharmacol 10:744-50. 2010..The latter directly or indirectly participate in tissue destruction and bone resorption. Metronidazole (MTZ) is a widely used antimicrobial agent...
- Clostridium difficile colitis that fails conventional metronidazole therapy: response to nitazoxanideDaniel M Musher
Medical Service Infectious Disease Section, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:705-10. 2007..Clostridium difficile-associated disease has increased in incidence and severity. Recommended treatments include metronidazole and vancomycin...
- Resistance of helicobacter pylori to metronidazole, tetracycline and amoxycillinH Wu
Department of Microbiology, Shanghai Second Medical University, Chongqing South Road 280, China 200025
J Antimicrob Chemother 46:121-3. 2000Resistance to metronidazole, tetracycline and amoxycillin, and beta-lactamase production were determined for 153 clinical isolates of Helicobacter pylori. Of these isolates, 77.8% were resistant to metronidazole (MIC > 8 mg/L), 58...
- Enhanced bacterial efflux system is the first step to the development of metronidazole resistance in Helicobacter pyloriHitoshi Tsugawa
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 404:656-60. 2011Although metronidazole (Mtz) is an important component of Helicobacter pylori eradication regimens, it has been pointed out that the increasing use of Mtz may result in increase in the incidence of Mtz-resistant strains...
- Efficacy and safety of single-triple capsules of bismuth biskalcitrate, metronidazole and tetracycline, given with omeprazole, for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori: an international multicentre studyC O'Morain
Department of Gastroenterology, Adelaide and Health Hospital, Tallaght, Dublin, Ireland
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:415-20. 2003The high prevalence of Helicobacter pylori resistance to metronidazole demands treatments more effective than standard bismuth-based triple therapy against these strains.
- Outcome of metronidazole therapy for Clostridium difficile disease and correlation with a scoring systemJaime Belmares
Infectious Disease Section, Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Infect 55:495-501. 2007To determine the response rate of Clostridium difficile disease (CDD) to treatment with metronidazole and assess a scoring system to predict response to treatment with metronidazole when applied at the time of CDD diagnosis.
- Extended antimicrobial treatment of bacterial vaginosis combined with human lactobacilli to find the best treatment and minimize the risk of relapsesPer Goran Larsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Kärnsjukhuset, Skaraborg hospital and University of Skövde, Sweden
BMC Infect Dis 11:223. 2011....
- [Change of Clostridium difficile colitis during recent 10 years in Korea]Yune Jeong Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seocho Gu, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 55:169-74. 2010..The aim of study was to evaluate changes in the epidemiological features of CDC in hospitalized patients in Korea...
- Metronidazole is still the drug of choice for treatment of anaerobic infectionsSonja Lofmark
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Microbiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Infect Dis 50:S16-23. 2010b>Metronidazole has been used for the treatment of infections for >45 years and is still successfully used for the treatment of trichomoniasis, amoebiasis, and giardiasis...
- High Helicobacter pylori resistance to metronidazole but zero or low resistance to clarithromycin, levofloxacin, and other antibiotics in MalaysiaKhean Lee Goh
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Helicobacter 16:241-5. 2011..The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori resistance to clarithromycin, amoxicillin, metronidazole, tetracycline, levofloxacin, rifabutin, and furazolidone in our local bacterial strains.
- Ciprofloxacin or metronidazole for the treatment of perianal fistulas in patients with Crohn's disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot studyKelvin T Thia
Miles and Shirley Fiterman Center for Digestive Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 15:17-24. 2009Although metronidazole and ciprofloxacin are used to treat perianal Crohn's disease (CD), no placebo-controlled trials have been performed.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and L. reuteri RC-14 to prevent or cure bacterial vaginosis among women with HIVRuben Hummelen
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 111:245-8. 2010To assess, among women with HIV, whether long-term oral Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14 supplementation can prevent bacterial vaginosis (BV) and enhance the cure rate of metronidazole among those with BV.
- Emergence of reduced susceptibility to metronidazole in Clostridium difficileSimon D Baines
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:1046-52. 2008Antimicrobial treatment for Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) has typically been metronidazole, although reports have questioned the efficacy of this option. We screened recently isolated C...
- Prevalence of Trichomonas vaginalis isolates with resistance to metronidazole and tinidazoleJane R Schwebke
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, ZRB 239, 1530 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:4209-10. 2006..Testing of susceptibility to metronidazole and tinidazole was performed. Resistance to metronidazole and tinidazole was present in 17/178 (9...
- Levofloxacin-based triple therapy versus bismuth-based quadruple therapy for persistent Helicobacter pylori infection: a meta-analysisRichard J Saad
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3912 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:488-96. 2006..Levofloxacin-based triple therapy has been suggested as an alternative salvage therapy to bismuth-based quadruple therapy for persistent Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection...
- Disinfection of dentinal tubules with 2% chlorhexidine, 2% metronidazole, bioactive glass when compared with calcium hydroxide as intracanal medicamentsJogikalmat Krithikadatta
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Maduravoyal, India
J Endod 33:1473-6. 2007..This study evaluates the disinfection of dentinal tubules using 2% chlorhexidine gel, 2% metronidazole gel, bioactive glass (S53P4) in comparison with calcium hydroxide...
- Antimicrobial resistance associated with the treatment of bacterial vaginosisRichard H Beigi
MetroHealth Medical Center and Dept of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Case Western Reserve University, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1124-9. 2004..This study was undertaken to evaluate antimicrobial susceptibility of vaginal anaerobic bacteria before and after treatment of bacterial vaginosis...
- The effect of treatment of vaginal infections on shedding of human immunodeficiency virus type 1C C Wang
Departments of Medicine and Epidemiology, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
J Infect Dis 183:1017-22. 2001..2- and 4.2-fold after treating Candida and Trichomonas, respectively. These data suggest that HIV-1 transmission intervention strategies that incorporate diagnosis and treatment of these prevalent infections warrant evaluation...
- A novel model of retinal ablation demonstrates that the extent of rod cell death regulates the origin of the regenerated zebrafish rod photoreceptorsJacob E Montgomery
Department of Biological Sciences and the Center for Zebrafish Research, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
J Comp Neurol 518:800-14. 2010..coli nitroreductase enzyme fused to EGFP (NTR-EGFP) in only rods. Treating transgenic adults with metronidazole resulted in two rod cell death models...
- Trichomonas vaginalis: metronidazole and other nitroimidazole drugs are reduced by the flavin enzyme thioredoxin reductase and disrupt the cellular redox system. Implications for nitroimidazole toxicity and resistanceDavid Leitsch
Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine at the Center for Physiology, Pathophysiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Mol Microbiol 72:518-36. 2009Infections with the microaerophilic parasite Trichomonas vaginalis are treated with the 5-nitroimidazole drug metronidazole, which is also in use against Entamoeba histolytica, Giardia intestinalis and microaerophilic/anaerobic bacteria...
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in a region of Quebec from 1991 to 2003: a changing pattern of disease severityJacques Pepin
Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Que
CMAJ 171:466-72. 2004..difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) in our institution. We describe cases of CDAD at our institution over a 13-year period and investigate changes in illness severity...
- Failure of metronidazole to prevent preterm delivery among pregnant women with asymptomatic Trichomonas vaginalis infectionM A Klebanoff
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
N Engl J Med 345:487-93. 2001..Infection with Trichomonas vaginalis during pregnancy has been associated with preterm delivery. It is uncertain whether treatment of asymptomatic trichomoniasis in pregnant women reduces the occurrence of preterm delivery...
- Association of Atopobium vaginae, a recently described metronidazole resistant anaerobe, with bacterial vaginosisMichael J Ferris
Dept of Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
BMC Infect Dis 4:5. 2004..The bacterium Atopobium vaginae has been recognized only recently. It is not readily identified by commercial diagnostic kits. Its clinical significance is unknown but it has recently been isolated from a tuboovarian abcess...
- Clinical study comparing probiotic Lactobacillus GR-1 and RC-14 with metronidazole vaginal gel to treat symptomatic bacterial vaginosisKingsley C Anukam
Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Benin, Nigeria
Microbes Infect 8:2772-6. 2006..Antimicrobial metronidazole oral therapy is poorly effective in eradicating the condition and restoring the Lactobacillus microbiota in ..
- A reprofiled drug, auranofin, is effective against metronidazole-resistant Giardia lambliaNoa Tejman-Yarden
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:2029-35. 2013..Treatment is primarily with 5-nitro antimicrobials, particularly metronidazole. Resistance to metronidazole has been described, and treatment failures can occur in up to 20% of cases, ..
- Pooled analysis on the efficacy of the second-line treatment regimens for Helicobacter pylori infectionM Hojo
Dept. of Gastroenterology, Juntendo University, School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Scand J Gastroenterol 36:690-700. 2001..The strategy of adding two new antimicrobials to previous regimens was also effective in re-eradication therapy...
- Effect of metronidazole analogues on Giardia lamblia culturesHaendel G N O Busatti
Departamento de Parasitologia, ICB UFMG, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Parasitol Res 102:145-9. 2007We comparatively evaluate the effect of metronidazole (MTZ) and its five analogues on trophozoites of Giardia lamblia axenically growing...
- Bacteroides fragilis RecA protein overexpression causes resistance to metronidazoleLaura S Steffens
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, Private Bag, Cape Town 7701, South Africa
Res Microbiol 161:346-54. 2010..commensal and an opportunistic pathogen causing anaerobic abscesses and bacteraemias which are treated with metronidazole (Mtz), a DNA damaging agent...
- The trends of one-week first-line and second-line eradication therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection in KoreaJun Won Chung
Department of Internal Medicine, Gachon University, Gil Medical Center, Incheon
Hepatogastroenterology 58:246-50. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate 7-year changes in efficacy of one-week first line and second line therapies in Helicobacter pylori eradication rates in Korea...
- Nitroreductase-mediated cell/tissue ablation in zebrafish: a spatially and temporally controlled ablation method with applications in developmental and regeneration studiesSilvia Curado
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, Program in Developmental Biology, Liver Center, Diabetes Center and the Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158 2324, USA
Nat Protoc 3:948-54. 2008..Using this protocol, cell ablation can be achieved in 12-72 h, depending on the transgenic line used, and recovery initiates within the following 24 h...
- Metronidazole resistance in Bacteroides spp. carrying nim genes and the selection of slow-growing metronidazole-resistant mutantsMicaela Gal
Anaerobe Reference Laboratory, National Public Health Service Wales, Microbiology Cardiff, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:109-16. 2004..originating from patients in the UK were investigated for the presence of metronidazole resistance determinants (nim genes) and their presence was related to the MIC of metronidazole for the isolates...
- The antitrichomonal efficacy of garlic and metronidazole against Trichomonas gallinae infecting domestic pigeonsSh A Seddiek
Avian Diseases Department, Animal Health Research Institute Benha Branch, Benha, 13111, Egypt
Parasitol Res 113:1319-29. 2014..gallinae infecting pigeons compared to those of metronidazole (MTZ)...
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities and molecular epidemiology of clinical isolates of Clostridium difficile in taiwanYi Chun Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:1701-5. 2011..All isolates were susceptible to vancomycin and metronidazole. Ninety-five (84%) isolates were susceptible to moxifloxacin, and the MIC(90) for nemonoxacin was 4 μg/ml...
- Effects of CYP2C19, MDR1, and interleukin 1-B gene variants on the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori infection by triple therapy with pantoprazole, amoxicillin, and metronidazoleBarbara Gawronska-Szklarz
Department of Pharmacology, Pomeranian Medical University, Powstancow Wlkp 72, 70 111, Szczecin, Poland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66:681-7. 2010..pylori in Polish Caucasian patients treated with a triple therapy of pantoprazole, amoxicillin, and metronidazole.
- Randomised clinical trial: vancomycin or metronidazole in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis - a pilot studyJ H Tabibian
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 37:604-12. 2013..Emerging data suggest that oral antibiotics may have therapeutic effects in primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), but published studies are limited...
- Comparison of oral prednisone and prednisone combined with metronidazole for induction therapy of canine inflammatory bowel disease: a randomized-controlled trialA E Jergens
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50010, USA
J Vet Intern Med 24:269-77. 2010Although prednisone and metronidazole are commonly used to treat canine inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), no randomized-controlled trials have been performed.
- A meta-analysis of short versus long therapy with a proton pump inhibitor, clarithromycin and either metronidazole or amoxycillin for treating Helicobacter pylori infectionX Calvet
Serveis de Medicina and Cirurgia i Epidemiologia Clínica, Corporacio Sanitaria Parc Tauli, Sabadell, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:603-9. 2000Although triple therapies with a proton pump inhibitor, clarithromycin and either amoxycillin or metronidazole are the most widely accepted treatment for Helicobacter pylori infection, there is no consensus on how long treatment should ..
- Metronidazole population pharmacokinetics in preterm neonates using dried blood-spot samplingMaysa Suyagh
Clinical and Practice Research Group, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 127:e367-74. 2011To characterize the population pharmacokinetics of metronidazole in preterm neonates.
- The flavin inhibitor diphenyleneiodonium renders Trichomonas vaginalis resistant to metronidazole, inhibits thioredoxin reductase and flavin reductase, and shuts off hydrogenosomal enzymatic pathwaysDavid Leitsch
Department of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine at the Center for Physiology, Pathophysiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Mol Biochem Parasitol 171:17-24. 2010Infections with the microaerophilic protozoan parasite Trichomonas vaginalis are commonly treated with metronidazole, a 5-nitroimidazole drug...
- Impaired parasite attachment as fitness cost of metronidazole resistance in Giardia lambliaNoa Tejman-Yarden
University of California, San Diego, Department of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:4643-51. 2011Infections with the diarrheagenic protozoan pathogen Giardia lamblia are most commonly treated with metronidazole (Mz)...
- The restoration of the vaginal microbiota after treatment for bacterial vaginosis with metronidazole or probioticsZongxin Ling
State Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, The First Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Microb Ecol 65:773-80. 2013..consisting of 30 healthy subjects, 30 BV-positive control subjects, 30 subjects with BV treated with a 7-day metronidazole regimen, and 25 subjects with BV treated with a 10-day probiotics regimen, were analyzed to determine the ..
- Defining the vulnerable period for re-establishment of Clostridium difficile colonization after treatment of C. difficile infection with oral vancomycin or metronidazoleTurki Abujamel
Ottawa Institute of Systems Biology, Department of Biochemistry, Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e76269. 2013..A significant proportion of patients receiving oral vancomycin or metronidazole for treatment of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) develop recurrences...
- Characterization of a stable, metronidazole-resistant Clostridium difficile clinical isolateTarah Lynch
National Microbiology Laboratory, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e53757. 2013..b>Metronidazole is currently the first-line treatment for mild to moderate C...
- Gram stain as a relapse predictor of bacterial vaginosis after metronidazole treatmentMei Huang
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Show Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
J Microbiol Immunol Infect 38:137-40. 2005..bacterial vaginosis and tried to use Gram stain as a predictor of relapse after 1 week of treatment with metronidazole. Possible predictive factors for relapse in Gram stain were analyzed, including absence of large Gram-positive ..
- Comparison of 10 day bismuth quadruple therapy with high-dose metronidazole or levofloxacin for second-line Helicobacter pylori therapy: a randomized controlled trialChao Hung Kuo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:222-8. 2013This prospective study was designed to compare the efficacies of levofloxacin-containing and high-dose metronidazole-containing quadruple therapies after failure of standard triple therapies.
- Helicobacter pylori eradication with a capsule containing bismuth subcitrate potassium, metronidazole, and tetracycline given with omeprazole versus clarithromycin-based triple therapy: a randomised, open-label, non-inferiority, phase 3 trialPeter Malfertheiner
Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Otto von Guericke Universtität, Magdeburg, Germany
Lancet 377:905-13. 2011..Our aim was to assess the efficacy and safety of a new, single-capsule treatment versus the gold standard for H pylori eradication...
- Analysis of metronidazole susceptibility in different Clostridium difficile PCR ribotypesInes Moura
Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:362-5. 2013Susceptibility to metronidazole was investigated in 81 Clostridium difficile strains, belonging to nine different PCR ribotypes, by three different laboratory methods.
- Reversible metronidazole-induced lesions of the cerebellar dentate nucleiBryan K Woodruff
N Engl J Med 346:68-9. 2002
- Randomized study comparing omeprazole with ranitidine as anti-secretory agents combined in quadruple second-line Helicobacter pylori eradication regimensS Michopoulos
Gastroenterology Unit, Alexandra University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:737-44. 2000..Few data are available on the efficacy of second-line H. pylori eradication regimens...
- Metronidazole-resistant strains of Trichomonas vaginalis display increased susceptibility to oxygenD Rasoloson
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Parasitology 123:45-56. 2001Susceptibility to oxygen and properties relative to oxygen metabolism were compared in metronidazole-resistant and susceptible strains of Trichomonas vaginalis...
- Evaluation of dika nut mucilage (Irvingia gabonensis) as binding agent in metronidazole tablet formulationsOluwatoyin A Odeku
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Pharm Dev Technol 10:439-46. 2005..the nuts of Irvingia gabonensis (O'Rorke) Bail (family Irvingiaceae) has been evaluated as a binding agent in metronidazole tablet formulations in comparison with gelatin BP...
- Characterization of the NAD(P)H oxidase and metronidazole reductase activities of the RdxA nitroreductase of Helicobacter pyloriIgor N Olekhnovich
Department of Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
FEBS J 276:3354-64. 2009b>Metronidazole (MTZ) is widely used in combination therapies against the human gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori...
- Does pre- and postoperative metronidazole treatment lower vaginal cuff infection rate after abdominal hysterectomy among women with bacterial vaginosis?Per Goran Larsson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Karnsjukhuset, S 541 85 Skövde, Sweden
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 10:133-40. 2002..Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a known risk factor for postoperative infection following abdominal hysterectomy. Vaginal bacterial flora scored as intermediate has been shown to have the same risk of postoperative infection as BV...
- Amoxicillin and metronidazole as an adjunctive treatment in generalized aggressive periodontitis at initial therapy or re-treatment: a randomized controlled clinical trialGareth S Griffiths
University of Sheffield, Academic Unit of Restorative Dentistry, Sheffield, UK
J Clin Periodontol 38:43-9. 2011Previously, we showed that systemic metronidazole and amoxicillin significantly improved the outcomes of non-surgical debridement in generalized aggressive periodontitis patients...
- [Efficacy of a multistep strategy for Helicobacter pylori eradication: quadruple therapy with omeprazole, metronidazole, tetracycline and bismuth after failure of a combination of omeprazole, clarithromycin and amoxycillin]J M Baena Diez
Area Básica de Salud Dr Carles Ribas Barcelona
Med Clin (Barc) 115:617-9. 2000..To evaluate the efficacy of a multistep strategy for Helicobacter pylori (HP) eradication...
- [Prevalence of metronidazole, clarithromycin and tetracycline resistance in Helicobacter pylori isolated from Chilean patients]Cristian Vallejos
Programa de Biologia Celular y Molecular, ICBM, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 135:287-93. 2007..Helicobacter pylori is a pathogenic bacterium that infects a significant number of individuals. At present, therapeutic strategies to eradicate this bacterium depend on our knowledge of its resistance to antimicrobials...
- Metronidazole containing quadruple therapy for infection with metronidazole resistant Helicobacter pylori: a prospective studyD Y Graham
Departments of Medicine, Paediatrics, Pathology, Molecular Virology and Microbiology, The VA Medical Center, Houston, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:745-50. 2000b>Metronidazole remains a key component of H. pylori infection therapy...
- Susceptibility in vitro of clinically metronidazole-resistant Trichomonas vaginalis to nitazoxanide, toyocamycin, and 2-fluoro-2'-deoxyadenosineJanelle M Wright
Infectious Diseases and Division, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, 4006, Queensland, Australia
Parasitol Res 107:847-53. 2010This study investigates the susceptibility of a clinically metronidazole (Mz)-resistant isolate of Trichomonas vaginalis to alternative anti-trichomonal compounds...
- Primary resistance to clarithromycin, metronidazole and amoxicillin of Helicobacter pylori isolated from Tunisian patients with peptic ulcers and gastritis: a prospective multicentre studyKhansa Ben Mansour
Microbiology laboratory UR04SP08 Rabta University Hospital Tunis, 1007 El Jabbari, Tunisia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 9:22. 2010..The frequency of primary resistance to antibiotics in H. pylori isolates is increasing worldwide. In Tunisia, there are limited data regarding the pattern of H. pylori antibiotic primary resistance...
- Trichomonads, hydrogenosomes and drug resistanceJ Kulda
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Parasitol 29:199-212. 1999..This pathway is responsible for metabolic activation of 5-nitroimidazole drugs, such as metronidazole, used in chemotherapy of trichomoniasis...
- MR imaging of metronidazole-induced encephalopathy: lesion distribution and diffusion-weighted imaging findingsE Kim
Department of Radiology and Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:1652-8. 2007MR imaging features of metronidazole-induced encephalopathy (MIE) have not been fully established. This study was undertaken to determine the topographic distributions and diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) findings of MIE.
- [The trend of eradication rates of second-line quadruple therapy containing metronidazole for Helicobacter pylori infection: an analysis of recent eight years]Jeong Hoon Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Liver Research Institute, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 46:94-8. 2005..and Practice recommends quadruple therapy consisting of proton pump inhibitor, bismuth, tetracycline and metronidazole. Many reports regarding the eradication rates of quadruple therapy have been reported...
- Recurrence of symptomatic bacterial vaginosis 12 months after oral metronidazole therapy in HIV-positive and -negative womenLandon Myer
J Infect Dis 194:1797-9. 2006
- In vitro metronidazole and tinidazole activities against metronidazole-resistant strains of Trichomonas vaginalisAndrea L Crowell
Division of Parasitic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Public Health Service, U S Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1407-9. 2003The in vitro activities of tinidazole and metronidazole against Trichomonas vaginalis isolates clinically resistant to metronidazole were compared...
- Comparison of single versus multiple doses of antibiotic prophylaxis in reducing post-elective Caesarean section infectious morbidityA Shakya
Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 8:179-84. 2010..Puerperal sepsis is frequently in Caesarean section. Antibiotic prophylaxis may have significant impact in reduction of infections and thus the need to study its role in sepsis prevention systematically...
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind studyof single high dose versus multiple standard dose gentamicin both in combination withmetronidazole for colorectal surgicalprophylaxisS A Zelenitsky
Departments of Pharmacy, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Hosp Infect 46:135-40. 2000Single, high dose regimens of gentamicin plus metronidazole for colorectal surgical prophylaxis have not been adequately studied. Patients received single high dose gentamicin (4...
- Influence of intestinal bacterial decontamination using metronidazole and ciprofloxacin or ciprofloxacin alone on the development of acute graft-versus-host disease after marrow transplantation in patients with hematologic malignancies: final results and D W Beelen
Departments of Bone Marrow Transplantation, Medical Microbiology, and Medical Informatics, Biometry and Epidemiology, University Hospital of Essen, Germany
Blood 93:3267-75. 1999..with hematologic malignancies were randomly assigned to a bacterial decontamination medication using metronidazole and ciprofloxacin (n = 68) or ciprofloxacin alone (n = 66) during 5 weeks posttransplant...
- Biodegradable periodontal intrapocket device containing metronidazole and amoxycillin: formulation and characterisationA Ahuja
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi, India
Pharmazie 61:25-9. 2006..placed into the periodontal pocket, and be capable of delivering therapeutic concentrations of amoxycillin and metronidazole for prolonged period of time with a much lower dose, hence obviating untoward side effects...
- Helicobacter pylori antimicrobial resistance in the United Kingdom: the effect of age, sex and socio-economic statusH K Parsons
Gastroenterology and Liver Unit, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 15:1473-8. 2001..Small studies have shown metronidazole resistance to be more prevalent in certain population groups...
- Short-term benefits of the adjunctive use of metronidazole plus amoxicillin in the microbial profile and in the clinical parameters of subjects with generalized aggressive periodontitisMaria Josefa Mestnik
Department of Periodontology, Dental Research Division, Guarulhos University, Guarulhos, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Periodontol 37:353-65. 2010..was to evaluate the clinical and microbiological effects of scaling and root planing (SRP) alone or combined with metronidazole (MTZ) and amoxicillin (AMX) in the treatment of subjects with generalized aggressive periodontitis (GAgP).
- Efficacy of amoxicillin and metronidazole combination for the management of generalized aggressive periodontitisEmine Cifcibasi Yek
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Periodontol 81:964-74. 2010The aim of this study is to evaluate the effects of metronidazole-amoxicillin combination on clinical and microbiologic parameters in patients with generalized aggressive periodontitis.
- Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori resistance to metronidazole, clarithromycin, amoxycillin, tetracycline and trovafloxacin in The NetherlandsY J Debets-Ossenkopp
Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infection Control, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 43:511-5. 1999..We report the prevalence rates of H. pylori resistance to metronidazole, clarithromycin, amoxycillin, tetracycline and trovafloxacin in The Netherlands. A total of 231 H...
- Primary and secondary clarithromycin, metronidazole, amoxicillin and levofloxacin resistance to Helicobacter pylori in southern PolandElzbieta Karczewska
Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology of the Jagiellonian University Medical College, Medyczna 9, PL 30 688 Krakow, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 63:799-807. 2011..of Poland, mainly of Kraków and the surrounding areas, to antibacterial agents (amoxicillin, clarithromycin, metronidazole and levofloxacin). In total, 115 H...
- Levofloxacin- versus metronidazole-based rescue therapy for H. pylori infection in JapanY Matsumoto
Division of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Department of Clinical Molecular Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
Dig Liver Dis 37:821-5. 2005..The ideal second-line treatment regimens for Helicobacter pylori infection may differ between the areas, countries and races...
- Recurrent bacterial vaginosisPhillip Hay
Centre for Infection, St George s Hospital, University of London, London, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 22:82-6. 2009..Bacterial vaginosis is a common condition that recurs frequently, adversely affecting women's lives, and is associated with complications including increased risk of sexually transmitted infections, HIV, and adverse pregnancy outcome...
- Pretreatment antibiotic resistance in Helicobacter pylori infection: results of three randomized controlled studiesG Realdi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Sassari, Italy
Helicobacter 4:106-12. 1999..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relation between pretreatment antibiotic resistance and outcome by using six different treatment regimens for H. pylori infection...
- [Clinical characteristics and changing epidemiology of Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD)]Tae Jun Byun
Department of Internal Medicine and Laboratory Medicine, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Guri Hospital, Guri, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 54:13-9. 2009..The aims of this study were to investigate the incidence of CA-CDAD and non-antibiotics-associated CDAD, and to compare the clinical characteristics between hospital-acquired (HA) and CA-CDAD...
- Preparation, in vitro and in vivo evaluation of stomach-specific metronidazole-loaded alginate beads as local anti-Helicobacter pylori therapyRania A H Ishak
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
J Control Release 119:207-14. 2007b>Metronidazole (MZ), a common antibacterial drug used in treatment of H. pylori, was prepared in chitosan-treated alginate beads by the ionotropic gelation method...
- Microbiologic response to treatment of bacterial vaginosis with topical clindamycin or metronidazoleM N Austin
Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 3180, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:4492-7. 2005..18 to 45 with clinical and Gram stain evidence of BV were randomized to receive intravaginal clindamycin or metronidazole. Vaginal swabs were collected at baseline and 7 to 12 days, 35 to 45 days, and 70 to 90 days following therapy ..
- Enzymes associated with reductive activation and action of nitazoxanide, nitrofurans, and metronidazole in Helicobacter pyloriGary Sisson
Department of Microbiology and ImmunologyFaculty of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4H7, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2116-23. 2002..that reduce NTZ were identified: two related NADPH nitroreductases, which also mediate susceptibility to metronidazole (MTZ) (RdxA and FrxA), and pyruvate oxidoreductase (POR)...
- Collateral effects of antibiotics: carbadox and metronidazole induce VSH-1 and facilitate gene transfer among Brachyspira hyodysenteriae strainsThaddeus B Stanton
Pre Harvest Food Safety and Enteric Diseases Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Ames, Iowa 50010, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2950-6. 2008..hyodysenteriae cultures treated with mitomycin C (10 microg/ml), carbadox (0.5 microg/ml), metronidazole (0.5 microg/ml), and H(2)O(2) (300 microM)...
- Comparison of amoxicillin-metronidazole plus famotidine or lansoprazole for amoxicillin-clarithromycin-proton pump inhibitor treatment failures for Helicobacter pylori infectionKazunari Murakami
Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Oita University, 1 1 Idaigaoka Hasama, Oita 879 5593, Japan
Helicobacter 11:436-40. 2006Proton pump inhibitor-amoxicillin-metronidazole is recommended as second-line Helicobacter pylori therapy in Japan...
- Trichomonas vaginalis treatment reduces vaginal HIV-1 sheddingPatricia Kissinger
Tulane University Health Sciences Center School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, New Orleans, Louisiana 70012, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:11-6. 2009..Vaginal HIV-1 shedding has been associated with Trichomonas vaginalis (TV) infection and could play a role in HIV transmission. The purpose of the study was to examine if effective TV treatment reduces the presence of vaginal HIV-1 RNA...
- Metronidazole with Lactacyd vaginal gel in bacterial vaginosisDitas Cristina D Decena
University Santo Tomas Hospital, Manila, Philippines
J Obstet Gynaecol Res 32:243-51. 2006To assess the efficacy and tolerability of lactic acid (Lactacyd vaginal gel; LVG) when given as an adjunct to metronidazole in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (BV) among Filipino patients.
- Metronidazole lacks activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis in an in vivo hypoxic granuloma model of latencyLee G Klinkenberg
Center for Tuberculosis Research, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231 1001, USA
J Infect Dis 198:275-83. 2008..The anaerobic drug metronidazole has antituberculous activity under hypoxic conditions in vitro but lacks activity against murine TB...
- Neuroimaging Assessments of Brain Integrity in Aging MiceAi Ling Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Translational neuroimaging is an emerging field with extraordinary promise. My ambition is to become pioneer in this emerging discipline. ..
- C. Difficile Outcomes and Effectiveness of Treatment Strategies in SCICharlesnika T Evans; Fiscal Year: 2013..and 5) oral vancomycin treatment will be associated with lower failure rates and 30-day case fatality than Metronidazole treatments for CDI. Review Criteria 1. Importance of the Problem Addressed...
- Real-Time Optical Diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease using SFDISylvain Gioux; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Click chemistry for novel antimicrobials against periodontal pathogensValery V Fokin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Based on its proven efficacy in treating periodontitis, we will employ metronidazole as the lead compound to synthesize a structurally diverse library of nitro-heterocylic compounds by click ..
- Evaluation of a new class of antimicrobial agents against Clostridium difficileSAUL R contact TZIPORI; Fiscal Year: 2011..Vancomycin, the first drug to be used remains the most widely used and the only FDA approved drug, although metronidazole is frequently prescribed. The goal is to develop a new class of antibacterials for treatment of CDI...
- Planning Grant for the Efficacy of Auranofin for the Treatment of AmebiasisSharon L Reed; Fiscal Year: 2012..Imidazoles, particularly metronidazole, are the single class of drugs used worldwide for treatment...
- Regulation of Bacteroides fragilis multidrug efflux pumpsHannah Wexler; Fiscal Year: 2013..including one from a GI in Afghanistan) with increased pump activity;these isolates were resistant to metronidazole and other agents and resulted in one death and one amputation, respectively...
- PA-50/PA-41 antitoxin antibody therapy for C. difficile infectionWilliam C Olson; Fiscal Year: 2012..difficile to flourish. Treatment with oral vancomycin or metronidazole leads to symptom resolution in many patients;however, relapse occurs frequently...
- Economic Consequences of Advanced Testing for Subclinical Cardiovascular DiseaseLeslee J Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will compare costs in addition to the added benefit of improved detection of heart disease risk using several cardiac biomarkers. ..
- A Novel Colon-specific Bi-functional Amebicidal Therapeutics: Gal-Dextran-MMJeoung Soo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..Severe intestinal amoebic infection requires treatment with the mixed amebicide, metronidazole, which is effective against both intestinal and systemic amebiasis...
- New composite material design based on studies of tooth-composite and microbial iJ Paul Santerre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Methods: Anti-microbial resin will be synthesized using covalently coupled drugs (metronidazole, or Clavulanic acid and ampicillin)...
- Preclinical development of a novel antibacterial for Clostridium difficile diseasGeorge E Wright; Fiscal Year: 2012..Vancomycin and metronidazole are first-line therapy for treatment of CDAD, but there have been reports of treatment failure and CDAD ..
- Diet and Activity Promotion Among Older Working AdultsGladys Block; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improvement in these behaviors will result in less morbidity and lower health care costs, and this project will test the effectiveness of a very low-cost proven intervention in a high- risk age group. ..
- Effects of Lactational Exposure to Chromium (VI) on Ovarian DevelopmentSAKHILA BANU; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The Role of Uncultivated Bacteria in Bacterial VaginosisDAVID NEAL FREDRICKS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although antibiotics such as metronidazole and clindamycin can be used to treat BV, recurrence is common, with recurrence rates of up to 30% at 3 months ..
- The natural history of cardiovascular health in U.S. populationsCHRISTY LEIGH AVERY; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Structure-Function Studies of the Proton-Gated Urea Channel from H. PyloriHartmut Luecke; Fiscal Year: 2013..Resistance to either clarithromycin or metronidazole is >20% and rising. No monotherapy is effective. Gastric infection by H...
- Hazard Assessment and Risk Estimation of Inhaled Nanomaterials ExposureGunter Oberdorster; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results will be used to develop and validate short-term tests that can be used for estimating potential human risk following ENM exposure. ..
- Visualizing Actomyosin Transients by Data MergingThomas P Burghardt; Fiscal Year: 2013..These analytical tools are next-generation methods addressing transduction and motility in muscle myosin. ..
- Improved Source Localization for Pediatric EpilepsyDamon Hyde; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, we will investigate whether a metric applied to the localization itself can act as a statistically significant predictor of surgical outcome. ..
- Integrating cell sorting and tissue shaping mechanisms during cornea maturationPhilip M Iannaccone; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Patient research in eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseasesGlenn T Furuta; Fiscal Year: 2013..Monitoring methodology, metrics for success and impact of each element are listed. ..
- Primary care eHealth intervention for improved outcomes in chronic kidney diseaseVeronica Yank; Fiscal Year: 2013..The eHealth intervention has the potential to improve the health of millions of patients with CKD not yet receiving effective medications and to be expanded to related diseases. ..
- The Role of Adipose Tissue Remodeling in Surgically-Induced Weight LossNima Saeidi; Fiscal Year: 2013..These alterations correlate with post-surgical augmentation of energy expenditure and hampering the brown adiposities induction blunts the therapeutic effects of the surgery significantly. ..
- Testing in vivo of HIV-immunopathogenic hypotheses using new kinetic techniquesMARC KOPEL HELLERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Dandekar). In summary, the quanta! advances in measurement technology achieved in the first phase of this award now allow interesting and fundamental questions about HIV-immunopathogenesis to be addressed directly. ..
- Gender Specific Evolution of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Composition and PropertiesJay D Humphrey; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Real-Time Flap Viability Monitoring during Facial Transplantation using SFDIBERNARD TRAVIS LEE; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A synergy-based therapy against C. difficileKim Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2013..difficile, in contrast to commonly used metronidazole and vancomycin, which were only active against growing bacteria. Upon reaching stationary state, C...
- Nucleoprotein Structures at Telomeres and Sites of DNA DamageJack D Griffith; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies have very high impact since no other laboratory is applying this technology to telomere/repair work and many other laboratories depend on the input from these structural studies. . ..
- Vaginal Ring for Preventing Bacterial VaginosisTHOMAS RAY MOENCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Episodes of BV can be treated transiently with antibiotics (metronidazole, clindamycin) but relapse occurs frequently. Women with BV typically have ~2 episodes per menstrual cycle...
- Fecal Bacteriotherapy for Relapsing Clostridium difficile InfectionCOLLEEN RENEE KELLY; Fiscal Year: 2013..While the first relapse is generally treated with a second course of metronidazole or vancomycin, current guidelines recommend a tapering course of oral vancomycin, which is typically given ..
- PalmStat: a self-contained point of care diagnostic platformMichael B Prystowsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..vaginalis infection. Successful treatment of this infection, once diagnosed, can be performed using metronidazole or similar relatively low cost antimicrobial agents...
- Kinesin function in mitosis and automixis in the widespread parasite Giardia inteWILLIAM ZACHEUS CANDE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The research proposed here will directly discover as yet unknown essential features of the Giardia life cycle, including cell division and meiosis and offer additional targets for drug discovery. ..
- Environmental exposure to metal mixtures and kidney diseaseMary Fox; Fiscal Year: 2009..The National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences stated in its 2006-2011 Strategic Plan that maximal public health impact depends on conducting research relevant to societal decision making. ..
- Meta-Analysis of Interventions to Improve Medication AdherenceVicki S Conn; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings will clarify which interventions work best to improve medication adherence. The study will also determine if interventions work best for people with particular characteristics. ..
- A Pediatric Quality Measurement Center and Testing LaboratoryJeffrey H Silber; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Frailty and Risk Prediction in Older Adults Considering Kidney TransplantationDorry Segev; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research will address the growing public health challenge of deciding appropriate treatment options for over 300,000 older adults on dialysis in the US. ..
- Manganese-Enhanced MRI Studies of Vision Loss with AgingDAVID PHILIP BISSIG; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Volumetric imaging of blood perfusion and tissue morphology in the cochleaRuikang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will correlate the data obtained from use of the instrument with that obtained by high field strength MRI. The project design also includes a clinical arm that aims to translate the technique into the clinical settings. ..
- Analysis and Dissemination of Patient-Centered Outcomes and its Impact on PatientIan Mccarthy; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- T. vaginalis viruses as mucosal immunity modifiers with impact on women's healthRaina N Fichorova; Fiscal Year: 2012..Resistance to the current drug of choice, metronidazole, is rising to alarmingly high rates, and pregnant women treated with metronidazole are at even higher risk of ..
- Design of Degron-based Substrates Capable of E3 Ligase-mediated UbiquitinationADAM THOMAS MELVIN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- CORAL: Economics and QOL Core LaboratoryDavid J Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Network analysis of Signal TransductionNorbert Perrimon; Fiscal Year: 2013..The success of this application will provide a benchmark for reconstructing signaling networks on a global scale. ..
- Non-convulsive seizures in critically ill children:physiology and outcomeNICHOLAS SCOTT ABEND; Fiscal Year: 2013..Abend with the scientific and methodological foundation to conduct independent research focused on real-time multi-modal neuro-monitoring, which has the potential to reduce neurologic injury in critically ill patients. ..
- Proteogenomics for Organ Transplantation: Prediction, Diagnosis, InterventionMichael M Abecassis; Fiscal Year: 2013..This study will develop blood biomarker-based metrics as a benchmark for adequate, long-term immunosuppression and detect non-immune renal injury before creatinine elevations are present. ..
- TAHLC:Texting to promote Adolescent Health Liaisons & Chronic disease ManagementJeannie S Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will be among the first to address the essential research question of what is needed to improve disease self-management among and how healthcare systems can better engage youth affected by chronic disease. ..
- Developmental Methodology as Applied to Research on Adolescent Alcohol UseKRISTINA MELIA JACKSON; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- An MRI-Based Method for Measuring Bone Mineral and Matrix Densities in HumansAlan C Seifert; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Inflammation and Infection in AtherosclerosisSalomon Amar; Fiscal Year: 2012..g. strain DPG3 was substituted for wild-type P.g, or when treatment with the invasion interfering antibiotic metronidazole was included, subsequent atherogenesis was reduced by about 50%, supporting the existence of an invasion-..
- Innate Antimicrobial Nanotherapeutics for the Treatment of H. pylori InfectionLiangfang Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the administration of a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and two antibiotics (clarithromycin plus amoxicillin or metronidazole)...
- A MACHINE LEARNING APPROACH FOR FINE-SCALE GENOME WIDE DNA METHYLATION ANALYSISJohn R Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2013..The general framework developed here can be expanded in the future to examine methylation signatures at enhancers and gene bodies, as well as to histone marks or other genomic signals that carry detailed spatial information. ..
- Biomarkers of the risk for post-traumatic osteoarthritisJames A Martin; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of a New Diamine (SQ109) for the Treatment of C. difficile InfectionMARINA N PROTOPOPOVA; Fiscal Year: 2013..difficile infection (CDI) is limited and inadequate: although vancomycin and metronidazole are effective for initial disease, they are associated with high rates of relapse or re-infection...
- Disability-adjusted Life Years (DALYs)Jurgen Rehm; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Novel Tools for Evaluation and Prediction of Radiotherapy Response in IndividualKristin R Swanson; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Nature inspired treatments for persistent C. difficile infectionsJulian G Hurdle; Fiscal Year: 2013..of toxin-producing stationary phase cells is not shown by currently prescribed antibiotics vancomycin and metronidazole, which only kill actively growing C. difficile...
- Evaluating Community Viral Load and other Metrics for HIV Treatment as PreventionKIMBERLY POWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Using a Computer Adaptive Test to Identify Depressive Disorders in Primary CareMatthias Rose; Fiscal Year: 2011..It will have the potential to improve lives of thousands of patients suffering from undiagnosed mental health problems. ..
- MULTIPARAMETRIC MRI OF CARTILAGEDeborah Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Allosteric therapy of the Clostridium difficile toxinsTor Savidge; Fiscal Year: 2013..Vancomycin and metronidazole remain treatment options for CDI, but neither is fully effective as is evident by the unacceptably high ..
- Functional and Biological Phenotyping of Pediatric PHRobin Shandas; Fiscal Year: 2013..As in prior work, we believe methods, questions and results generated from this study should help guide mechanistic studies to elucidate specific pathways of RV and RV-PA decompensation. ..
- ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICA GENOME PROJECTBrendan Loftus; Fiscal Year: 2002..that might prevent the fecal-oral spread of the parasite, amebiasis is presently poorly controlled by metronidazole-treatment of symptomatic individuals and there is also a need for specific diagnostic tools and vaccines...
- Randomized Trial/Reduce Recurrence/Bacterial VaginosisKing Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2004..Although treatment of women with BV using metronidazole successfully eliminates symptoms and signs of vaginal discharge, recurrence rates are high...
- DEFINITION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE PHENOTYPE IN AUTISMSally Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- DRUG RESISTANCE AND GENE TRANSFER IN H PYLORIDouglas Berg; Fiscal Year: 2003..The two most widely used types of therapies against HP depend on metronidazole (Mtz) or clarithromycin (Cla), in combination with other agents, but resistance (R) to Mtz is common, and CIaR ..